New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dr. Stone: Stone Age Science fiction? what the heck?

Anyway, besides the rather strange theme, then the serie is turning out to be surprisingly good. The art is high quality. We get a break from the idiot hero leads, and the humor is pretty sharp.

Besides that the story have been picking up recently and the plot is gathering steam. For those with the time to spare i suggest giving it a look.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Stone: Stone Age Science fiction? what the heck?

It's basically one of those open-world survival game turned into manga, isn't it? Collect wood and stone to make stone axe to make workbench to make pickaxe to mine sulfur to make gunpowder and so on
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

This series is really good and I'm glad someone else made a thread for it cause I thought I was the only person who read it. It's...very strange, and took awhile to really "hook" me, I think, but it's good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It's basically one of those open-world survival game turned into manga, isn't it? Collect wood and stone to make stone axe to make workbench to make pickaxe to mine sulfur to make gunpowder and so on
    Oh yeah, thats what it is, some fancy mixture of terraria and minecraft, without the monsters

And yes, it also took a while for me to get hooked on the serie. Initially i though the premise would be boring. Nothing exciting happens in the stone age. And my preference usually lies with the supernatural.
    But i stuck around because the characters were very well defined. And the art were good as well.

It then eventually won me over with humor and how different it is. Take for example the main characters high regard for the rules in a combat trial. Or the current chapters "Im going to aim for his vitals!"

Spoiler
    Show

Reminds me that we likely need to be a little careful with spoilers in the case of new readers. Anyway, did find it interesting how the pov character shifter during the start

Last edited by lord_khaine; 2017-11-03 at 05:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh yeah, thats what it is, some fancy mixture of terraria and minecraft, without the monsters

And yes, it also took a while for me to get hooked on the serie. Initially i though the premise would be boring. Nothing exciting happens in the stone age. And my preference usually lies with the supernatural.
    But i stuck around because the characters were very well defined. And the art were good as well.

It then eventually won me over with humor and how different it is. Take for example the main characters high regard for the rules in a combat trial. Or the current chapters "Im going to aim for his vitals!"

Spoiler
    Show

Reminds me that we likely need to be a little careful with spoilers in the case of new readers. Anyway, did find it interesting how the pov character shifter during the start

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't expecting Senku to be the actual protagonist AT ALL, which is actually pretty cool.

Part of why this series is so funny is because it's written by Eyeshield 21's writer, and that guy is genuinely hilarious. He knows how to hit jokes right. I'm...there are some things I'm not 100% down on, but overall I love this series and can't wait to see more of it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't expecting Senku to be the actual protagonist AT ALL, which is actually pretty cool.
    This also shows how horrible i am with names. Easier to let someone else mention it, and then just copy/paste :P

What i am intrigued by myself though, is if the change of focus were planned or not?
    Initially we got the brother, about as stereotypical a protagonist as you can get? good, tough, dumb. Something the audience is familiar with.

Its gradually the focus begins to shift a little, before the brother and his GF is suddenly put on a bus, and Senku takes off on his own adventure.

Part of why this series is so funny is because it's written by Eyeshield 21's writer, and that guy is genuinely hilarious. He knows how to hit jokes right. I'm...there are some things I'm not 100% down on, but overall I love this series and can't wait to see more of it.
    Really? Well.. at times the scientist kinda cringes at the abuse of physical laws.. buts its kinda used to be beating by now. After about 10 years of OP..

7. - Top - End - #7

Spoiler
    Show

This also shows how horrible i am with names. Easier to let someone else mention it, and then just copy/paste :P

What i am intrigued by myself though, is if the change of focus were planned or not?
    Initially we got the brother, about as stereotypical a protagonist as you can get? good, tough, dumb. Something the audience is familiar with.

Its gradually the focus begins to shift a little, before the brother and his GF is suddenly put on a bus, and Senku takes off on his own adventure.

Really? Well.. at times the scientist kinda cringes at the abuse of physical laws.. buts its kinda used to be beating by now. After about 10 years of OP..
    Spoiler
    Show

The first chapter's cover page, plus Shonen Jump when the thing first aired, showed Senku front and center. It's even called Doctor Stone, which relates to the soap...but also to Senku himself. It was always intended.

My initial problems with the series is...the initial chapters are kind of a drag because of their desire to do the fake out protagonist. I also felt the fake Senku death scene as part of that was just...it didn't work. But aside from that, basically it's just like...like one out of every ten ANYTHINGS in this manga just falls flat for me. Basically arbitrarily as well, for reasons I don't know why.

Anyway, theory crafting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magma's gonna get his ass kicked by Kinrou, blindness or not. But SENKU is going to actually get to the end and win as a quasi sort of betrayal so he can learn what it was she was talking about when she first met him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I kinda felt the fake Sengoku scene were done pretty well. I did like the psychological bit with him rubbing that exact spot on the base of his skull that were petrified, to make his attacker target it unconciously.
    But yeah, good point about the title of the manga, i guess the fake-out were planned after all. Funny enough, after the change my interest in the serie grew. As i have already mentioned, Sengoku is one of the more interesting manga protagonist we have had in a while. Last i can think of in this quality were Edward Elric.

As for your theory, as i think this will be Kinrou's moment of glory, he will likely win a phyrric victory that takes them both out of the battle. That suddenly removes all the main fighters from the tournament. But im not certain its Sengoku who wins. Interestingly enough i dont really think he has any interest in girls. I suspect its his apprentic who ends up victor. Or.. as likely.. the tournament is called off again for some reason. Its depending on what progress the story calls for. Will Sengoku get an entire village to aid him at once?

9. - Top - End - #9

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Magma gets his ass handed to him even without Kinrou wearing glasses. Which is what allows him to accept Suika's helmet. It's not a perfect clarity, but it's enough to basically just DESTROY this stupid monkey man. Which...all but ensures that Senku's gonna do a traitor so he can talk to Ruri himself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So.. was kinda hilarious with Sengoku going "ehhh..." when being told about how strict the judge were, and showing just how much of a amateur the rat guy were when it came to cheating.

Also lovely comment in the end "That was super badass.. but somehow you saying that while wearing the mask is just kinda"

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler
    Show

So.. was kinda hilarious with Sengoku going "ehhh..." when being told about how strict the judge were, and showing just how much of a amateur the rat guy were when it came to cheating.

Also lovely comment in the end "That was super badass.. but somehow you saying that while wearing the mask is just kinda"

Spoiler
    Show
    I love that the only reason Senku isn't a bad guy is because he's our protagonist. Good is not nice.

That was a good finish for the chapter, yeah. I hope Kinrou gets a cool hat with glasses in them. Maybe something wolfy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.. it so far only seems to be us who are active in here.. guess spoilers might be less important..

I love that the only reason Senku isn't a bad guy is because he's our protagonist. Good is not nice.
    But yes, in almost any other manga he would be one of the side antagonists, the extremist scientist whose vision for one reason or another would be taken as "unatural" or wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13

Hmm.. it so far only seems to be us who are active in here.. guess spoilers might be less important..

But yes, in almost any other manga he would be one of the side antagonists, the extremist scientist whose vision for one reason or another would be taken as "unatural" or wrong.
    Or at the very least "he's our team mate, but we don't trust him and will do him a traitor if he steps out of line".

But yeah no dude's the protagonist so his love of science and desire to turn this entire civilization of stone age people into the seeds for his future world are the good guy side.

In all fairness Tsukasa is also...genuinely presented as clearly evil. What're you gonna do when the children become adults you stupid idiot? Are you gonna Logan's Run it where no one lives past 20?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

At the same time though, Sengoku, while kinda jerkish, or at least generally uncaring about peoples emotions in general, still does seem like he has a genuine desire to bring people the advantages of science just for the sake of progress.
    It seems like the only reason for why he actually wants to build his kingdom of science, is to have the assistance he needs for further progress. Actually ruling is something he dont care about.

But yes Tsukasa is more or less a madman. Or a twisted fanatic who has given himself entirely over to his own idology. Im not even completely certain why he is doing that. I guess he want to kill the seed of civlisation somehow.

15. - Top - End - #15

At the same time though, Sengoku, while kinda jerkish, or at least generally uncaring about peoples emotions in general, still does seem like he has a genuine desire to bring people the advantages of science just for the sake of progress.
    It seems like the only reason for why he actually wants to build his kingdom of science, is to have the assistance he needs for further progress. Actually ruling is something he dont care about.

But yes Tsukasa is more or less a madman. Or a twisted fanatic who has given himself entirely over to his own idology. Im not even completely certain why he is doing that. I guess he want to kill the seed of civlisation somehow.
    It's pretty clearly a sister complex. He told us that story about the young girl dying pointlessly because adults are dumb****s. He's capable of killing lions barehanded, but in the previous world he was bound by the laws of mans and the power of science, by which I mean they could just shoot him with a gun. So in this stone world he can finally let loose.

Also yeah, Senku has no desire to rule, he just wants to see how far human civilization can be pushed. He's the leader only because he wants to make things go forward. And it's clear his love of science and how it affects people is genuine, and the manga shows this really well. Especially when Suika gets her glasses, as someone who wears glasses myself that's...100% accurate.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it just me, or that pannel where Kinrou wear Suika's helmet strike a large ressemblance to Jinno in Afro Samurai?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by DanyBallon View Post
    Is it just me, or that pannel where Kinrou wear Suika's helmet strike a large ressemblance to Jinno in Afro Samurai?
    One million percent correct.

18. - Top - End - #18

Well piss.

Magma is a **** heel and destroyed Suika's helmet in a sneak attack that took Kinro out. And Chrome's not beating Magma, that's just not happening...and Kohaku couldn't make it in time. Ginrou and Senku are our last hope...and they have to fight each other. It's a good thing Gin want his match though...otherwise we'd be kinda screwed.

But yeah I feel really bad about this. Suika's glasses are broke, they'll need to make her a new pair! And also Magma is utter scum and I can't wait till he gets dunked on.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been following this series from the beginning and it's been steadly climbing my top favorite ranks (well, couldn't espect less from the author of eyeshield 21). It's refreshing to see such a tribute to science, and sound(ish) science at that. It's clear that the autor is doing his research.
    Anyway, new chapter hype!

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh man, Magma is a real jerk, I can hardly wait until next chapter when he caughts fire.
    I'm glad this doesn't seem like it's going to be resolved through power of friendship shenanigans or resorting to Senku winning the last match. Chrome deserves a break and the actual tournament
    winniner isn't the focus, as long as Magma doesn't win.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    I've been following this series from the beginning and it's been steadly climbing my top favorite ranks (well, couldn't espect less from the author of eyeshield 21). It's refreshing to see such a tribute to science, and sound(ish) science at that. It's clear that the autor is doing his research.
    Anyway, new chapter hype!

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh man, Magma is a real jerk, I can hardly wait until next chapter when he caughts fire.
    I'm glad this doesn't seem like it's going to be resolved through power of friendship shenanigans or resorting to Senku winning the last match. Chrome deserves a break and the actual tournament
    winniner isn't the focus, as long as Magma doesn't win.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm pretty sure he's actually setting his own clothes on fire (because that's the only way the lens could be used to direct fire, due to sun positioning and how lens are shaped) but will then jump AT Magma to set him on fire with his body. Either way someone's gonna get set on fire.

Also, a mysterious appeared on the bridge, and looking closely at their face we can see marks of stone petrification. So that's interesting.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm pretty sure he's actually setting his own clothes on fire (because that's the only way the lens could be used to direct fire, due to sun positioning and how lens are shaped) but will then jump AT Magma to set him on fire with his body. Either way someone's gonna get set on fire.

Also, a mysterious appeared on the bridge, and looking closely at their face we can see marks of stone petrification. So that's interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most concave lenses are symmetric, so it'd diverge in either way, although with the sun's direction it'd be possible. My initial prediction was that Gen (who is the one in the bridge) picked up a convex lense and was the one that was going to burn Magma, but Chrome using it on himself would represent some character growth and represent his knowledge gain, so that'd actually be better from a writting perspective.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So reading this thread convinced me to try it. I have two questions about it.

a) what is this that I'm reading?

b) why haven't I heard about it before?

This is both awesome and hilarious, it's one of those things where I don't care that they're portraying a character as being stupider than they are because it makes sense when you see who they're compared to.

Spoiler
    Show
    A maths battle? Yeah, I've just finished Chrome's introductory chapter, it's insane. Has how this village came to be been revealed yet?

EDIT: prehistoric bikinis... I suppose they have to keep this suitable somehow, I was just expecting her to keep the dress on.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2017-11-25 at 10:32 AM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

23. - Top - End - #23

So it turns out there was a way for Chrome to make the lens set him on fire. Clever! I don't think that'd work exactly, but I feel like it probably would? Of course the issue is keeping Magma in place long enough...though thankfully Gin is here with the plan to keep Magma from moving. I like the tiny detail that the crack on Gin's face looks like a spiky evil mouth.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Dam i loved this chapter. The science is of course more or less bogus, but the "magic" is spot on, everything in the "spell" were brilliant!

Spoiler
    Show

And i were kinda surprise that the junior scientist, Gin? were allowed to win after all. And that this were not going to be decided in the finale battle.

25. - Top - End - #25

Dam i loved this chapter. The science is of course more or less bogus, but the "magic" is spot on, everything in the "spell" were brilliant!

Spoiler
    Show

And i were kinda surprise that the junior scientist, Gin? were allowed to win after all. And that this were not going to be decided in the finale battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like I said, the ultimate twist is that Senku's gonna do a traitor so he can get access to Ruri's knowledge, both of the village's lore and her apparent knowledge about him.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Hmmm... no.. i just cant see that.
    To start with i really, really dont think Senkugo want actual leadership of the tribe, and all the hazzle that brings. He just want the tribe to actually assist him in building the kingdom of science. He dont want day-to-day leadership.
    And at the same time i suspect he is asexual. Senkugo dont care about anything else besides science.
    Furthermore, such a betrayal could cost Senkugo vital allies, and it would not win him anything. He can get all he needs as long as one of his allies win.

27. - Top - End - #27

We expected it to go this way, but not to go the way it happened, if that makes sense.

Ooooh Ginrou. So silly. Hope you enjoy married life you antisocial science boy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I think the funniest part of this thread is Yodi being wrong a lot... Sorry

Yeah, I guess I let myself be talked into this series and it's pretty fun. Well, I guess as a scientist I have to feel that way

Hm... not sure how much I feel like saying right now... it's enjoyable, maybe once in a while a bit more perverted than necessary (so many shots of Kohaku keeping her decency because of speech bubbles...) and the latest victory by tenacity... eh, fine. (Also, not sure of author or translater screw up, but of course not all glasses are concave, since there are also far sighted people. But I guess it's uncommon enough and didn't apply there...)

Eh, yeah, next up... Wedding? And... story time?

Oh, right, also: If you have sulfur, make your own goddamn sulfuric acid instead of nearly killing yourself.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I think the funniest part of this thread is Yodi being wrong a lot... Sorry

Yeah, I guess I let myself be talked into this series and it's pretty fun. Well, I guess as a scientist I have to feel that way

Hm... not sure how much I feel like saying right now... it's enjoyable, maybe once in a while a bit more perverted than necessary (so many shots of Kohaku keeping her decency because of speech bubbles...) and the latest victory by tenacity... eh, fine. (Also, not sure of author or translater screw up, but of course not all glasses are concave, since there are also far sighted people. But I guess it's uncommon enough and didn't apply there...)

Eh, yeah, next up... Wedding? And... story time?

Oh, right, also: If you have sulfur, make your own goddamn sulfuric acid instead of nearly killing yourself.
    I'm not a very funny person so I can't accurately predict what goofy solution they'll come up with to solve a problem. I'll note that I was right about THE FINISH, Senku wins. Just the path to get there was...lets say "trodden incorrectly".

30. - Top - End - #30

SCIENCE.

Spoiler
    Show
    Divorce to avoid the night long celebration. Antibiotics obtained, as well as COLA. Senku's on a roll.

I will say, I like this series but things come a bit too easy to our heroes with regards to the science collection.