New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

For the first time in 26 pages, we have one of Erfworld's famous sound effects.

CHARGING
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Well, SOMETHING appears to be happening. There've been fakeouts before, so I can't be certain, but it looks like we might get a major shift.

With TV, of course, not Wanda. If Wanda actually died, that only means that we just went through all a bunch of updates that had the goal of setting up how we can resurrect her in some way that should be impossible. I am so sick of rule breaking. I like the war game setting because of trying to work inside the rules, not hearing about how there is constantly some new way to just toss in new, extremely complicated, reasons as to why people don't die when they are killed. I was really REALLY hoping that finally killing off the walking deus ex machina would tone down the craziness a bit, but the absurdities keep on coming. WHY DO WE NEED THIS??? Rob really needs to learn how to trim down the story.

On that note, I think I'm actually okay with TV getting destroyed. This whole thing has just been a useless distraction anyway, and it's time to wipe out part of this excessively bloated cast. While I did think that Caesar would have something a bit more important to do before dying, because I got the impression he had a Fate, this is also fine. I just want the story to start moving again, and not be stuck in this quagmire.

What's TV even good for anymore? Bunny's dead, Faq is going to get back the cities it lost, and the TV military is pretty useless vs Charlie, without being able to hack the portal. Is there anything that TV can really help with in the war against Charlie? It's pretty much dead weight at this point. So let's see what happens when a ruler dies. I've always been curious what it means for a city to freeze, or how neutral units react to others. Also will be interesting to see what the city does.
    I don't know if I like TV destroyed. There are a lot of characters I like. Vinnie was a great supporting character, and together with Ansom good antagonists for Parson. I like Ceasar, Benjamin and Bunny. When team Parson showed up in TV it looked quite promising. But looking back at the story line, it feels like a waste of time. The anticipation was better than the thing itself. (My suggestion for next thread title).
    But no idea where the story could go after this. It's not like I care for any of the other story arcs. After all the Titan's Tools vs Fate vs Thinkamancer Conspiracy going back to the war of the Royal Coalition feels a bit like a let down. Even if it likely would be a better story again (What is Tremanis doing anyway?). And I certainly don't want any more Jillian shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler: new page
    Show
    Money's just arrived? Well, they have about five minutes to rig Transylvito's portal just in time for Ceasar to fly through. Any bets on whether they're going to make it?
    Spoiler: Saturday comic
    Show
    So it seems there is a way to cheat death for Ceasar. I don't like more fake outs, but I like Ceasar, so I'm okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    For the first time in 26 pages, we have one of Erfworld's famous sound effects.

CHARGING
    r/DepressingFacts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Erfworld breaking one of the core characteristics of Sizemore? He''s another cross-casting wonder now?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    I don't know if I like TV destroyed. There are a lot of characters I like. Vinnie was a great supporting character, and together with Ansom good antagonists for Parson. I like Ceasar, Benjamin and Bunny. When team Parson showed up in TV it looked quite promising. But looking back at the story line, it feels like a waste of time. The anticipation was better than the thing itself. (My suggestion for next thread title).
    But no idea where the story could go after this. It's not like I care for any of the other story arcs. After all the Titan's Tools vs Fate vs Thinkamancer Conspiracy going back to the war of the Royal Coalition feels a bit like a let down. Even if it likely would be a better story again (What is Tremanis doing anyway?). And I certainly don't want any more Jillian shenanigans.
    Vinny is in FAQ and can turn to Ansom. Ben can do the same, as can a few other key TV characters. It's possible that Bunny might have an intact corpse, and that she can be decrypted. Caesar... I do like him and I do wish more happened with the character, but I'm okay with his death, because there really isn't much more that the side can do for Parson, now that the agreement been signed. Dying is probably what would thwart Charlie the most. Unless something unexpected shows up, which it might.

As I said, where I would hope the story is going is a deeper look at what happens to a side that loses its ruler. I think Tram will be visited by Parson. Looks like there is an MK invasion that is still happening. Maybe both Charlie and Parson are about to go all in on using the MK as a battle ground.

Jillian is something we are stuck with, I don't care for her, or Wanda, either. Sizemore might have a new arc, I think he just upgraded to master level, it's been hinted at for awhile. We have the sentient pliers as well.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Vinny is in FAQ and can turn to Ansom. Ben can do the same, as can a few other key TV characters. It's possible that Bunny might have an intact corpse, and that she can be decrypted. Caesar... I do like him and I do wish more happened with the character, but I'm okay with his death, because there really isn't much more that the side can do for Parson, now that the agreement been signed. Dying is probably what would thwart Charlie the most. Unless something unexpected shows up, which it might.

As I said, where I would hope the story is going is a deeper look at what happens to a side that loses its ruler. I think Tram will be visited by Parson. Looks like there is an MK invasion that is still happening. Maybe both Charlie and Parson are about to go all in on using the MK as a battle ground.

Jillian is something we are stuck with, I don't care for her, or Wanda, either. Sizemore might have a new arc, I think he just upgraded to master level, it's been hinted at for awhile. We have the sentient pliers as well.
    Master class Sizemore! I didn't even think of that.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

6. - Top - End - #156
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Is Erfworld breaking one of the core characteristics of Sizemore? He''s another cross-casting wonder now?
    Well, with the Wonky Wrench equipped he seems to be. Not sure he could do it without an op item.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Well, with the Wonky Wrench equipped he seems to be. Not sure he could do it without an op item.
    I think that's what the Wrench does.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

My Nexus character

8. - Top - End - #158

GreenSorcererElf

Hey, an update I actually enjoyed! It's... kinda been a while.

Gotta say, though, that it's sort of illustrative. Even in a six panel comic, Rob can't just stick to one thread for a fracking second. If your pacing wasn't for poop, you wouldn't need to have characters reminding us of the tone of the situation.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

If TV is destroyed, will we have to follow mom's instructions and get some fresh air outdoors? :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    If TV is destroyed, will we have to follow mom's instructions and get some fresh air outdoors? :-)
    "TV is gone, what'll we do now?"

"We're going to Magic Kingdom!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, the tragedy of Transylvito... in all honesty I completely lost interest in that side and storyline back in 2016. It was... it had been slow going, but it was going to an unexpected place, what with Don and Caesar being reconciled... but then they went back to fighting, meaning the story had gone in a complete circle and... well suffice to say that in the years that followed, it reached the point that I honestly felt that if rocks fell on Transylvito and everyone died, I'd be cheering on the Doomlock aerial boulder squad.

And now it appears to have happened, all I can say is: Direct hit! Great job guys, now come round for another pass!

As far as Jack's concerned, my reading is that he collapsed because his already frayed senses were overwhelmed by proximity to Caesar. He was, after all, feeling Caesar's misery as if it were his own. It'd be a bit of non-sequitur for it to be Wanda related (and note, Marie was shown talking while that fool of a dirtamancer was trying to dig his friend out, if Wanda died as she lived (surrounded by idiots), it had no such impact on them).

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was actually a good page for a change though it feels short. What happens next?
    Next? Well it's possible that drama will turn to farce courtesy of that blasted talking tower, but if we're good and eat our veggies, well, the side falls. Resulting in all of their field units disbanding and all of the cities turning barbarian of course. Which means... that Faq won't be getting their cities back any time soon(and Ansom will be claiming the city of Faq itself for Gobwin Knob as soon as he's dealt with however many bats remain there). And as such, if someone waltzes in through their portal and seizes the garrison? It'll be game over for them. It will be their turn though, so they'll be able to start moving again. They might order their prince to head to the capital (ICFYS I mean, he won't be sent after Ansom), or send him after one of Kibo or Otoh. Plus, they should have their treasury back, so they won't need to worry about their next turn's upkeep.

In the city of Transylvito itself... well the bats and the dolls will start croaking each other, there's nothing to hold them back now. Presumably the ex Transylvito warlords will polish off the dolls in what was the portal chamber. Oh and it's possible the tower will collapse killing everyone inside. In the best case scenario for Gobwin Knob, the warlords will sweep the Charlescomm units from the city before turning and recover Bunny's body before it's damaged beyond Wanda's ability to decrypt. They may instead be faced with a stand off with the city remaining barbarian until one side drives the others from the garrison, with the contract complicating that. Worst case, they lose everyone and everything in the city thanks to the tower's dead man's switch.

Charlie, it seems, will be cursed, but what that means is anyone's guess. It may be quite helpful to Wanda however.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Spoiler: new page
    Show
    Money's just arrived? Well, they have about five minutes to rig Transylvito's portal just in time for Ceasar to fly through. Any bets on whether they're going to make it?
    The thing is... they aren't planning to modify Transylvito's portal and have no reason to modify Transylvito's portal. Without knowing in advance that Caesar would charge the portal, being able to move troops into the Magick Kingdom simply wouldn't do anything to help them.

And that's leaving problems like Sizemore being almost out of juice, the enemy presence in the bedrock, their basic ignorance of conditions in the Magick Kingdom, that recovering Wanda would be a higher priority and so forth.

If they had more time, they might try breaking Transylvito's collar and sending in help (and theoretically speaking, knocking Caesar back into the toom), but they'd need to dig through bedrock for that, which means finding another dirtamancer with juice to spare. Which is doable, but given the time constraints...

Vinny is not in Faq, he left to capture the subordinate cities of Kibo and Otoh. He could still be turned, but it couldn't happen today.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2018-10-09 at 10:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    Vinny is not in Faq, he left to capture the subordinate cities of Kibo and Otoh. He could still be turned, but it couldn't happen today.
    The second picture page 339 is, I think, supposed to be from Vinnie's view and is supposed to show him offering to turn to Ansom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's a new page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whelp, there goes most of my interest in Erfworld, she was the only part of it worth caring about. I guess the enhanced pliers are her replacement. It's what she wanted I suppose. If only that idiot Hamster hadn't given her those stupid orders... and the Predictamancers had left her alone.

I really think this was done poorly btw, the rocks fell on her back in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The second picture page 339 is, I think, supposed to be from Vinnie's view and is supposed to show him offering to turn to Ansom.
    Can't have been, Vinnie doesn't have the move to return to Faq after hitting hit Kibo and Otoh.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2018-10-09 at 11:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

RedWizardGuy

We've been told that Fated units can die for good without fulfilling their predictions, it would be interesting to see it happen. Though I'm pretty sure the

Spoiler
    Show

awakened arkenpliers are going to come into play here. Phil did tell Buck that he would stop Wanda personally as part of a prediction, so this isn't a disruption to Fate's plans.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Phil did tell Buck
    For a moment I thought you were talking about Phil Foglio and Buck Godot, and I had a bit of confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    We've been told that Fated units can die for good without fulfilling their predictions, it would be interesting to see it happen. Though I'm pretty sure the

Spoiler
    Show

awakened arkenpliers are going to come into play here. Phil did tell Buck that he would stop Wanda personally as part of a prediction, so this isn't a disruption to Fate's plans.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you really think the rodent's pet Predictamancer intended for this to happen? They did open the portal to ICFYS, they were probably expecting her to walk through it.

17. - Top - End - #167

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Do you really think the rodent's pet Predictamancer intended for this to happen? They did open the portal to ICFYS, they were probably expecting her to walk through it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The post's text says "The buck stops her", like the wording in Phil's prediction, so I assume this is part of the prediction getting fulfilled.
    Last edited by JavaScribe; 2018-10-10 at 12:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's a new page.

Spoiler
    Show
    Whelp, there goes most of my interest in Erfworld, she was the only part of it worth caring about. I guess the enhanced pliers are her replacement. It's what she wanted I suppose. If only that idiot Hamster hadn't given her those stupid orders... and the Predictamancers had left her alone.

I really think this was done poorly btw, the rocks fell on her back in August.

What stupid orders are you referring to? It's been a while and with the T.V. stuff I feel like backtracking to find it wouldn't be worth it.

Also I thought people hated Wanda.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing Wanda is soon revived. That means no more Heroine addiction problem and no more Contract gag order with Charlie. Maybe we'll learn something interesting about the past. Maybe Wanda will become an optimist?? Will zombie apocalypse finally strike down the MK?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

This is why the pliers became sentient. Can't have Wanda raise herself.

21. - Top - End - #171

I guess the decrypted aren't going to turn to dust, but instead feel at a loss to work because their connection to Wanda is severed by her death? Hmm, maybe Parson can fix that too.

Also, congrats to everyone here who survived book 4.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I guess the decrypted aren't going to turn to dust, but instead feel at a loss to work because their connection to Wanda is severed by her death? Hmm, maybe Parson can fix that too.
    It could be the sudden loss of Wanda's bonus. If the decrypted retain their creator's bonus regardless of location, and Wanda is a high level caster, the sudden loss of that bonus would be a horrible feeling - something they've had since the beginning of their new "life" just got ripped out from under them. "I feel like I just lost eight levels in a single instant" sort of thing. For inactive decrypted like Ace and Bonnie, this doesn't have much impact beyond existential dread, but for a decrypted that had already expended too much juice to even use his caster-grade senses... passing out might be the optimal outcome.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

OMG plot actually advancing two comics in a row???

Love Stanley going all "Hamster will fix everything WTF WHY IS WANDA CROAKED HAMSTER WHAT DID YOU DO!"

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    It could be the sudden loss of Wanda's bonus. If the decrypted retain their creator's bonus regardless of location, and Wanda is a high level caster, the sudden loss of that bonus would be a horrible feeling - something they've had since the beginning of their new "life" just got ripped out from under them. "I feel like I just lost eight levels in a single instant" sort of thing. For inactive decrypted like Ace and Bonnie, this doesn't have much impact beyond existential dread, but for a decrypted that had already expended too much juice to even use his caster-grade senses... passing out might be the optimal outcome.
    If it had been the loss of a numeric bonus, it would be more than just a feeling of doom, and the living units would've seen their decrypted allies stats go down too.

What they're feeling is that the unit to which they were fanatically loyal to is no more.

Anyway this confirms that even with Wanda dead the decrypted still kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Also I thought people hated Wanda.
    More love to hate. She is was an horrible sadomasochistic person who's backstabbed most people she ever met, but then there was that fascinating aspect that she's chosen by fate and all she wanted was get it done but no matter what she did Wanda ended up getting the very hard way, not allowed to croak but with all sorts of exotic sufferings in her path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, it was rocks that did her in, not a falling house

So I guess the 'she'll come back as a decrypted unit for Jillian' speculation is true.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

She'll be back. And then things get worse for Charlie as the contract is null and void.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Huh. You know, there's evidence that Erf was an RPG setting at one point before it became a war game setting (vestigial buildings, etc)...

If TV doesn't fall because of it's tower's influence, suddenly the game changes once more to be tower focused.

Book 5 might end up being less war games and more League of Legends. (Just a joke, don't shoot me.)
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Also I thought people hated Wanda Jillian.
    Fixed that for you.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    People can hate more than one character.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What is the deal with the "Thinkagram: buy our Erfcards" pop up that always happens?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

People can hate more than one character.
    True, I just don't know of any character that gets as much hate as her. Surely not Wanda, from my perspective.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)