New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given the number of goofball jokes and moments in both movies, I struggle to understand why you think anybody is expected to take everything completely seriously.
    Having a few jokes here and there doesn't stop the majority of the film from being presented completely seriously, including the moments that undermine Kylo's credibility as a threat and show Rey's progression in learning to use the force happening very rapidly. The films aren't parodies like Spaceballs or over the top goofball films that just have fun with everything like Guardians of the Galaxy, they're still very much trying to be as serious as the other Star Wars films.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Taking itself way too seriously is part of the farce.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Having a few jokes here and there doesn't stop the majority of the film from being presented completely seriously, including the moments that undermine Kylo's credibility as a threat and show Rey's progression in learning to use the force happening very rapidly. The films aren't parodies like Spaceballs or over the top goofball films that just have fun with everything like Guardians of the Galaxy, they're still very much trying to be as serious as the other Star Wars films.
    Episode 6 had an army of teddy bears. Episode 5 had yoda being a goofball and generally trolling Luke. Episode 4 had a robot and a sasquatch fighting over a game of space chess. Objectively speaking, Star Wars has been rather silly quite frequently.

It seems to me the writers have never really taken Star Wars as seriously as the fandom would like to believe. The idea that Star Wars is Serious Business is probably one of the most toxic mentalities in the "fandom".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #304
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    "It doesn't have to follow the rules of Star Wars anymore." Or the philosophy or art direction. At what point does this just become an unrelated series with the words "Star Wars" on the banner?
    I think the philosophy and art direction are still there actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Then please indicate a change of this magnitude with something more than a single line that tells me...nothing.
    Patience, young padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    The result of losing a hand and falling down a huge shaft? I mean, I guess. Also, he was with Yoda for more than a day. Exactly how long is ambiguous, but it was definitely more than a day. Still gets completely demolished, as he should have been.
    Yep.

As for Ren, I think he had more than just a couple years of practice. There's no real reason Luke wouldn't have started training him from a young age, so he's got a couple of decades' experience with the Force already. I'm not saying the skill gap between him and Rey is the same as Vader and Luke, but there's still very good reason to believe he should be her superior. But she's Special.
    She is... and yet she isn't. I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Or to use Kylos exact words to her, they were 'nobody'.
    Well his EXACT words immediately after that were "they were filthy junk traders who sold you off for drinking money." If they backtrack on all that to make her abilities purely due to being a scion, and continuing the tradition of the "Skywalker Dynasty" as being the only fast-track to Force mastery... all I can really say to that is ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Episode 6 had an army of teddy bears. Episode 5 had yoda being a goofball and generally trolling Luke. Episode 4 had a robot and a sasquatch fighting over a game of space chess. Objectively speaking, Star Wars has been rather silly quite frequently.

It seems to me the writers have never really taken Star Wars as seriously as the fandom would like to believe. The idea that Star Wars is Serious Business is probably one of the most toxic mentalities in the "fandom".
    I largely agree, but the execution is what bugs me. There's a vast difference in the quality of the humor between "let the Wookiee win" and "I have a message. ABOUT YOUR MOM."

Spoiler: Good comic relief character
    Show

Spoiler: Bad comic relief character
    Show

Also, I agree with almost everything Psyren said.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-20 at 01:55 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Not seeing how you think that goes against what I said. "They're still very much trying to be as serious as the other Star Wars films." Yes, the other films have some comedic moments, and some things that are just part of the genre that could come across as silly if you look at them the right way. So do the sequels. Doesn't change that the actual main plots of both are still taken completely seriously. The difference being that one of them manages to have those silly genre elements and jokes but still have intimidating villains that can be taken seriously as a threat, like Vader and Palpatine, while the other has repeatedly made its main antagonists look like incompetent fools in moments that were supposed to be serious and threw away the only halfway threatening villain it had.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Good comic relief character
    Show

Spoiler: Bad comic relief character
    Show

You could actually just use the same picture twice there, since C3PO in the prequel trilogy was just painful. It's all about execution.

8. - Top - End - #308

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    You could actually just use the same picture twice there, since C3PO in the prequel trilogy was just painful.
    Spoiler: Lies and falsehoods
    Show

Threepio: I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win.
    Threepio: No, I don't think he likes you at all.
    Artoo beeps
    Threepio: No, I don't like you either.
    Threepio: Master Luke, sir! Pardon me for asking... but, ah... what should Artoo and I do if we're discovered here?
    Luke: Lock the door!
    Han: And hope they don't have blasters.
    That's some good, sensible-in-universe comedy right there.

ETA: Didn't see you mention prequel trilogy. You speak the truth.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-20 at 02:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

The result of losing a hand and falling down a huge shaft? I mean, I guess. Also, he was with Yoda for more than a day. Exactly how long is ambiguous, but it was definitely more than a day. Still gets completely demolished, as he should have been.
    Okay, it looks like I've got my original trilogy mixed up. I thought the Yoda training came before the rematch. But I guess he spent that movie backflipping on hoverboats and befriending ewoks.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Okay, it looks like I've got my original trilogy mixed up. I thought the Yoda training came before the rematch. But I guess he spent that movie backflipping on hoverboats and befriending ewoks.
    The Ewoks were in Return of the Jedi, not Empire Strikes Back...

The wildlife on Dagobah didn't seem particularly cute and cuddly to me.

Is it too late to chime in that I think the title of this Star Wars movie seems a bit iffy?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

The traditions of the Skywalker dynasty are limb loss and getting the crap kicked out of you, not fast tracked force sensitivity.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    The Ewoks were in Return of the Jedi, not Empire Strikes Back...
    Yeah, the third one. That's what I said. I said I first thought the Yoda session was before the rematch, but that I was wrong about that because they were doing other stuff then like dealing with ewoks.

Don't correct my correct corrections, or you'll confuse my confused confusion.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well his EXACT words immediately after that were "they were filthy junk traders who sold you off for drinking money."
    Anakins mother was a Slave, and his step father was a moisture farmer.

Junk trader is probably a step up from that.

As to his real dad:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Shm...th_Sidious.jpg
    Last edited by Malifice; 2019-04-20 at 03:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Banned

Moisture farmer is already a big step up from slave. Clieg Lars had enough capital to buy a slave, and could then afford to free her rather than hold on to his investment.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-04-20 at 03:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

It's a bit more nuanced than that. You can crack a joke and still maintain a sense of belief or seriousness. There's plenty of films you can laugh at that are serious.

The sequel trilogy is bad because it feels like a farce. The jokes are at the expense of the first order, but you're supposed to take them super seriously. You spend minutes watching some space nazi brood when just a moment ago he was hillariously humiliated and revealed to be completely inept... you've gotta spend time while the film is trying to state this dude is the real deal when a prior scene righteously had him punked in some goophy way. Imagine for a moment that the Looney Toons tried really hard to make Yosemete Sam a very dark and serious character who still couldnt do anything right, but they're invested in you taking Sam seriously as a threat for the plot to work.That's what I feel the ST is doing.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2019-04-20 at 03:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Patience, young padawan...
    I've sat through two movies already and it's still not been explained. On top of this, I don't trust JJ to actually do any sort of decent job explaining it. Just look at the last season of Lost.

On top of this, the Expanded Universe hasn't even explained it. There's so little information on it that there isn't even a stub page on the Wiki. To add all to this, Snoke's quote doesn't even have the thing capitalized. He just says:

Quote Originally Posted by Snoke
    There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?
    So please, tell me, how long am I supposed to wait for some exposition on what should have been self-evident in the film?

Except that I can do that with literally any film, its all about the context of the scene. R2-D2 vs Chewie shows that Wookie's have a temper and that they have the strength to back it up, so you should leave them alone. Yoda is trying to impart a lesson of patience and to not trust your eyes to Luke. On top of this he stops acting silly after he begins actually training Luke. The Ewoks were never actually shown in a comical light. Cute and non-threatening? Yes, but that was to make their appearance at the end killing Stormtroopers all the more shocking.

It was taken as seriously as Space Opera should be, which means that all the jokes were in universe humor that the characters were tossing back and forth amongst themselves. The new humor is explicitly for the audience and is far mroe in line with how Marvel does it. Original Star Wars was very dry, the New Trilogy isn't
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-04-20 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #317

Wookie
    Wookiee. 2 E's.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Wookiee. 2 E's.
    Bugger all! And I know better!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319

Bugger all! And I know better!
    Eh, it's what I do.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-20 at 04:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don’t want to break the no-religion rule so I won’t elaborate but immaculate conception doesn’t mean what I think you think it means.
    Ignoring religion, I think it literally means what the poster is meaning it to mean while the term virgin birth does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    TLJ seems to want to say that holdo was right, when she clearly isn't. Why would anyone push that idea? To these men, good narrative and well writen characters seem to be sacrificed for an agenda. You can make a good film with an agenda, but with star wars it seems to come at the expense of other things and people.
    The movie actually leads the audience along with Poe's plan and "side" and then when it has to say that Holdo actually has any kind of reasonable plan, it bends over backwards to have Holdo and Leia still admiring the mutineer. You're getting an exactly opposite message from the movie than I am.

It was taken as seriously as Space Opera should be, which means that all the jokes were in universe humor that the characters were tossing back and forth amongst themselves. The new humor is explicitly for the audience and is far mroe in line with how Marvel does it. Original Star Wars was very dry, the New Trilogy isn't
    I don't feel like there's any way to justify this opinion. Where is the humor that is not between characters and not in-universe?

[Edited to fix quote attribution.]
    Last edited by Zalabim; 2019-04-20 at 10:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    I don't feel like there's any way to justify this opinion. Where is the humor that is not between characters and not in-universe?
    That quote is misattributed.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    What I mean by that is that the humor in the Original Trilogy was things that normal people would say. 3PO is funny simply by his personality, he's not telling jokes, he's not delivering a punchline. He is simply acting like himself and that happens to be funny at certain times.

The New Trilogy, however, has things like Porgs bouncing around inside of the Falcon like Minions in Despicable Me. That stuff is entirely artificial and isn't caused simply by the characters acting like themselves.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Spamalot in the Playground

As to his real dad:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Shm...th_Sidious.jpg
    It's true that it's not clear whether Kylo's statement referred to biological or adoptive parentage. But his context seemed to apply the former rather than the latter, in which case "immaculate conception" is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

That quote is misattributed.
    Thank you. I ran out of quote buffer, tried to do it myself, and apparently can't tell up from down.
    What I mean by that is that the humor in the Original Trilogy was things that normal people would say. 3PO is funny simply by his personality, he's not telling jokes, he's not delivering a punchline. He is simply acting like himself and that happens to be funny at certain times.

The New Trilogy, however, has things like Porgs bouncing around inside of the Falcon like Minions in Despicable Me. That stuff is entirely artificial and isn't caused simply by the characters acting like themselves.
    I mean, that's animals acting like animals do, though at the time I just felt like that was there to push the toy line. Which is kinda the opposite of "for the audience" since it wants something "from the audience" (toy sales.)

Also, I still feel like the porgs made it over the Ewok bar.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Chewbacca never killed and roasted an Ewok for dinner, at least.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Chewbacca never killed and roasted an Ewok for dinner, at least.
    Nearly the opposite, in fact!

Porgs I don't mind. "Yo momma" jokes I mind.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim
    I mean, that's animals acting like animals do, though at the time I just felt like that was there to push the toy line. Which is kinda the opposite of "for the audience" since it wants something "from the audience" (toy sales.)
    The Porgs are just digitally altered Puffins. They exist because of location choice. Skellig Michael, where all of the Ahch-To scenes were filmed, is a massively productive seabird colony. There are puffins nesting literally everywhere on the rock (I've been there, pre Star Wars, they are ubiquitous). Porgs were created as a solution to digitally overwrite the birds that got into all the shots anyway. If you parked a ship like the Millennium Falcon on Skellig Michael for a few days, puffins would get inside it and they would make a mess of the interior.

Once you recognize that making creating some form of small animal for the Ahch-To scenes was a necessity, the choice to produce something cute and marketable in order to sell more toys follows naturally.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2019-04-21 at 12:13 AM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

The porgs are just that one vacuum droid from A New Hope plus the Nien Nunb laugh scene from Return of the Jedi plus the Trouble with Gizka gag from KOTOR. Not really different from what was already in Star Wars.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    The porgs are just that one vacuum droid from A New Hope plus the Nien Nunb laugh scene from Return of the Jedi plus the Trouble with Gizka gag from KOTOR. Not really different from what was already in Star Wars.
    Don't you get it, it's new, therefore it sucks. Also conspiracy by the dirty corporate girls, with cooties. They're pushing out the true fans of Star wars and anybody who disagrees isn't a true fan.

I hope they start mining some knights of the old republic stuff. They had good plotlines, well the beginning of good plotlines. That's probably the nostalgia speaking. I loved that game.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Vacuum droid? Vacuum droid?!? You dare impugn the integrity of the noble MSE-6 maintenance droid by referring to it as a simple vacuum droid?