New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Get fit 2: Resolution 2K:19!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonquetra View Post
    How can I learn that?
    Your're in Phoenix according to your signature. My suggestion is go to a few studios, watch their classes, talk to the instructors and get a feel. I didn't train in a Gracie studio but it's hard to go wrong with them and you have both Gracie and Gracie-Barra in your area. The tend to be pretty good from everything I've seen and the guys I did practice with.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonquetra View Post
    Thanks Kyrell! ♥
    No problem. Good luck getting to where you want to be.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Had a definite "I am not a young man anymore" moment today. I bashed my knee on a concrete wall while moving tulip bulbs and 30 minutes later I have a bruise and am limping. A decade ago I fell off a ladder onto asphalt while painting, got up and put the ladder away and was fine.

In other news I am wrapping up my last chiropractor visit Friday and am going to be weight lifting again, I feel like losing two months is more like six due to lost muscle and cardio endurance but at least I have a clear plan of attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Had a definite "I am not a young man anymore" moment today. I bashed my knee on a concrete wall while moving tulip bulbs and 30 minutes later I have a bruise and am limping. A decade ago I fell off a ladder onto asphalt while painting, got up and put the ladder away and was fine.

In other news I am wrapping up my last chiropractor visit Friday and am going to be weight lifting again, I feel like losing two months is more like six due to lost muscle and cardio endurance but at least I have a clear plan of attack.
    Alright! Back at it. Good luck with the knee.

Also, just as a public service announcement: Please be careful about from whom you decide to purchase things. I know I'm a little late to the game but I found out about the Britany Dawn Fitness Scandal a while ago and it's been gnawing at me ever since. I can't imagine how crushing that would be to a person just starting out.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    Alright! Back at it. Good luck with the knee.

Also, just as a public service announcement: Please be careful about from whom you decide to purchase things. I know I'm a little late to the game but I found out about the Britany Dawn Fitness Scandal a while ago and it's been gnawing at me ever since. I can't imagine how crushing that would be to a person just starting out.
    I haven't heard about this. Apparently she sold "unique plans" to people that were all the same generic plan and then tried to explain it as having "taken on too much of a workload." Amazing...
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-03-13 at 06:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

I haven't heard about this. Apparently she sold "unique plans" to people that were all the same generic plan and then tried to explain it as having "taken on too much of a workload." Amazing...
    It gets worse too. She's offering refunds that are as low as a quarter of what people paid and demanding that the people sign a non disclosure agreement to receive them. Then a few people are claiming that after she sent the refund she cancelled the transaction and the money disappeared out of their accounts. It's jacked all the way up.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It gets worse too. She's offering refunds that are as low as a quarter of what people paid and demanding that the people sign a non disclosure agreement to receive them. Then a few people are claiming that after she sent the refund she cancelled the transaction and the money disappeared out of their accounts. It's jacked all the way up.
    Oh that is just... Gross. I'm reasonably certain that voids the contract but still an awful way of "doing business."

One of the things I am entertaining is letting my weight rise a bit. I am between 255 and 260 right now but my weight hasn't moved downward in months, and keto inhibits muscle strength and development. Coming off keto for a few months to catch up feels enticing even knowing I will likely climb up in weight.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-03-14 at 11:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

So, oddly enough, I have found my thoughts wandering over the course of the last few weeks to the idea of getting certified as a personal trainer. I don't really have a desire to do that as a profession, just to be more knowledgeable about helping others. It's probably super related to the fact that I'm teaching Personal Fitness merit badge to a group of Boy Scouts, but it's just.....weird.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, oddly enough, I have found my thoughts wandering over the course of the last few weeks to the idea of getting certified as a personal trainer. I don't really have a desire to do that as a profession, just to be more knowledgeable about helping others. It's probably super related to the fact that I'm teaching Personal Fitness merit badge to a group of Boy Scouts, but it's just.....weird.
    I think it is a meritorious goal, like becoming a licensed masseuse for the sake of doing it and better understanding the body. How much do the courses cost for it?

10. - Top - End - #70

I think it is a meritorious goal, like becoming a licensed masseuse for the sake of doing it and better understanding the body. How much do the courses cost for it?
    It depends on which certification you want. A good one usually goes for somewhere between 600-2,000 dollars (US). You can get kind of a bog standard one for 300 or so, but that kind of defeats my purpose.

EDIT: Whhoooooo! I talked to my wife and she said go for it!!!!! Now the question ACE or NASM? I leaning toward ACE since it's more of a general approach from what I've read. Super excited.
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-03-29 at 09:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It depends on which certification you want. A good one usually goes for somewhere between 600-2,000 dollars (US). You can get kind of a bog standard one for 300 or so, but that kind of defeats my purpose.

EDIT: Whhoooooo! I talked to my wife and she said go for it!!!!! Now the question ACE or NASM? I leaning toward ACE since it's more of a general approach from what I've read. Super excited.
    I say go for it as well! What is the difference between the two programs?

My back seems to be fully functional now. I did a 12 hour day working construction yesterday and was able to get up without severe pain today.

12. - Top - End - #72

I say go for it as well! What is the difference between the two programs?

My back seems to be fully functional now. I did a 12 hour day working construction yesterday and was able to get up without severe pain today.
    Well they are both kind of the gold standard of fitness here in the US and if I were interested in pursuing a career either would be accepted virtually anywhere as they are both accredited by the NCCA. It appeared to me after a relatively comprehensive review of the literature that ACE was more generalized in its approach (Let's learn a bit of everything) and NASM was more concerned with corrective fitness (improving muscular dysfunction). I chose ACE and ordered the study program and reserved an exam voucher yesterday. I am super hyped. I have six months to complete the program and take the test.

That's awesome about the back!!
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-03-31 at 10:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well they are both kind of the gold standard of fitness here in the US and if I were interested in pursuing a career either would be accepted virtually anywhere as they are both accredited by the NCCA. It appeared to me after a relatively comprehensive review of the literature that ACE was more generalized in its approach (Let's learn a bit of everything) and NASM was more concerned with corrective fitness (improving muscular dysfunction). I chose ACE and ordered the study program and reserved an exam voucher yesterday. I am super hyped. I have six months to complete the program and take the test.

That's awesome about the back!!
    Sounds amazing, keep us clued in about it.

Started doing abs and back again today, my lord have I lost a lot of progress. I am going to have to remember to keep progress slow and not injure myself trying to be where I was three months ago. On the plus side I look better then I have in my entire life, and am now the lightest I have been as an adult. If I lose thirty more pounds I will be lighter then I was pre-puberty, which is quite the thought.

Spoiler: Me showing off
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Started doing abs and back again today, my lord have I lost a lot of progress. I am going to have to remember to keep progress slow and not injure myself trying to be where I was three months ago. On the plus side I look better then I have in my entire life, and am now the lightest I have been as an adult. If I lose thirty more pounds I will be lighter then I was pre-puberty, which is quite the thought.

Show
    Looking good! Awesome progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

15. - Top - End - #75

Show
    You look good man. I will definitely give you all updates when I get a little further through the course work. It's pretty interesting so far.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm currently so far out of keto it isn't funny. I'm pretty broke, so I have been buying a lot of bananas as the cheapest portable food. I can get 500 calories for about $1 and take them to school or on a walk without them being unhealthy.

The weird thing is my weight has been stable while I crack my diet in half. I expected this would cause me to start packing on weight due to the sugar, but it seems to have evened out around 254.

Current diet:

Breakfast: 3 strips of bacon (~aprox 300 calories)
    Lunch/snacking: Bananas (3-500 calories depending on number)
    Dinner: Pork loin (also cheap.) Usually a lot of it, I'm pretty hungry by this point.

Exercise is going well, I'm quickly getting my shoulders back. My abs are in a state of decay, it is rather painful trying to get them back to where they were pre-accident without hurting myself.

Program:

Weighted Reaches
    Plank touches
    Reverse Plank
    Weighted Lunges
    Bridge
    Band clamshells
    forearm band exercises

Bench press
    overhead press
    dips
    bicep curls

Its not perfect but combined with my daily hill climbs I feel like I'm hitting everything.

17. - Top - End - #77

I'm currently so far out of keto it isn't funny. I'm pretty broke, so I have been buying a lot of bananas as the cheapest portable food. I can get 500 calories for about $1 and take them to school or on a walk without them being unhealthy.

The weird thing is my weight has been stable while I crack my diet in half. I expected this would cause me to start packing on weight due to the sugar, but it seems to have evened out around 254.

Current diet:

Breakfast: 3 strips of bacon (~aprox 300 calories)
    Lunch/snacking: Bananas (3-500 calories depending on number)
    Dinner: Pork loin (also cheap.) Usually a lot of it, I'm pretty hungry by this point.

Exercise is going well, I'm quickly getting my shoulders back. My abs are in a state of decay, it is rather painful trying to get them back to where they were pre-accident without hurting myself.

Program:

Weighted Reaches
    Plank touches
    Reverse Plank
    Weighted Lunges
    Bridge
    Band clamshells
    forearm band exercises

Bench press
    overhead press
    dips
    bicep curls

Its not perfect but combined with my daily hill climbs I feel like I'm hitting everything.
    Glad it's going well for you. I'd throw in some weighted squats or dead lifts but that's just me. Do you always do the same ab workout. You might check out the six pack shuffle from AthleanX. I do that every work out day (5 days a week) and it never the same twice. It comes with the programs I bought but I think it's only like 5 dollars for just that app and it's lifetime access. Don't quote me exactly but I know my son got it for pretty cheap.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Glad it's going well for you. I'd throw in some weighted squats or dead lifts but that's just me. Do you always do the same ab workout. You might check out the six pack shuffle from AthleanX. I do that every work out day (5 days a week) and it never the same twice. It comes with the programs I bought but I think it's only like 5 dollars for just that app and it's lifetime access. Don't quote me exactly but I know my son got it for pretty cheap.
    Squats and deadlifts have too high of a chance to resprain my back right now, I do unweighted squats and some other unloaded exercises so I can eventually fix the muscles sprained in the car accident.

I used that before the car accident and will again in the future, but currently my maximum plank time is 40 seconds and I can only do 20 reaches before cramping. Trying to slowly get it back so nothing gets resprained.

19. - Top - End - #79

Squats and deadlifts have too high of a chance to resprain my back right now, I do unweighted squats and some other unloaded exercises so I can eventually fix the muscles sprained in the car accident.

I used that before the car accident and will again in the future, but currently my maximum plank time is 40 seconds and I can only do 20 reaches before cramping. Trying to slowly get it back so nothing gets resprained.
    Right, right. Still glad that your doing well and "fighting the good fight" as it were.
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-04-23 at 10:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Right, right. Still glad that your doing well and "fighting the good fight" as it were.
    Thanks! I'm actually doing pretty well, I moved a living room and ripped out the carpet today without any pain issues. So many staples 😒.

How is your PT sessions going?

21. - Top - End - #81

Thanks! I'm actually doing pretty well, I moved a living room and ripped out the carpet today without any pain issues. So many staples 😒.

How is your PT sessions going?
    Yuuup! A friend of mine and I started a remodel of a house today carpet staples and ring shank nails that held the underlayment for the linoleum.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yuuup! A friend of mine and I started a remodel of a house today carpet staples and ring shank nails that held the underlayment for the linoleum.
    I honestly don't understand why anyone buys carpet. I would take wood, plaster, tile or concrete over it. You can easily add a rug, taking a carpet away is a lot more work. I also think wallpaper is the rug of the walls; tapestries and paintings do the same thing better without the labor and mess.

I got in a really sharp walk today, Portland is built at the bottom of a bowl surrounded by hills so I tend to climb up the hills and out of the town and then back. It is fun going from the base of a skyscraper to climb higher than it and back; it gives me a sense of accomplishment. My glute activation exercises seem to be working; my butt hurts instead of my quads now.

23. - Top - End - #83

I honestly don't understand why anyone buys carpet. I would take wood, plaster, tile or concrete over it. You can easily add a rug, taking a carpet away is a lot more work. I also think wallpaper is the rug of the walls; tapestries and paintings do the same thing better without the labor and mess.

I got in a really sharp walk today, Portland is built at the bottom of a bowl surrounded by hills so I tend to climb up the hills and out of the town and then back. It is fun going from the base of a skyscraper to climb higher than it and back; it gives me a sense of accomplishment. My glute activation exercises seem to be working; my butt hurts instead of my quads now.
    Yeah. I'm not a fan of carpet. We are going to ceramic tile in all of our units. I think we are about 3/4 of the way there at this point. This is the first time we've really been able to get into this unit since it was rented when we bought it.

EDIT: Should probably relate to fitness somehow

In other news......I am hitting the books hard for the whole personal trainer thing. I have a guy set up to give me the CPR/AED class (for free even Yay Boy Scout friends) and seem to be on schedule as far as class work goes.
    Last edited by Kyrell1978; 2019-04-25 at 05:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateGuy

I finally got to quit my second job -- yay, more time! A side effect, however, is a decided decrease in the heavy lifting I had been doing on a regular basis. So, now I'm into push-ups and bicep curls to start, actually get a proper upper body conditioning started, and see where I go from there.

Primary job...well, I still do a lot of running around and stairs there, so legs are take care of. :D

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah. I'm not a fan of carpet. We are going to ceramic tile in all of our units. I think we are about 3/4 of the way there at this point. This is the first time we've really been able to get into this unit since it was rented when we bought it.

EDIT: Should probably relate to fitness somehow

In other news......I am hitting the books hard for the whole personal trainer thing. I have a guy set up to give me the CPR/AED class (for free even Yay Boy Scout friends) and seem to be on schedule as far as class work goes.
    Have you learned anything unexpected or mindblowing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    I finally got to quit my second job -- yay, more time! A side effect, however, is a decided decrease in the heavy lifting I had been doing on a regular basis. So, now I'm into push-ups and bicep curls to start, actually get a proper upper body conditioning started, and see where I go from there.

Primary job...well, I still do a lot of running around and stairs there, so legs are take care of. :D
    Make sure you work your abs and glutes or you could end up unbalanced with a strong chest and upper back, strong legs and a weak core. That is a recipe for hernias and other injuries.

I finally got to 249 yesterday, first round milestone since 299 in September. I had a small bowl of vanilla icecream with blueberries to celebrate, first ice cream I have had in 2 years. 9 pounds left until my stretch goal of 240 (I hot my original doctor goal of 260 in December.) 240 means I would really weigh 220 or so due to the massive amounts of excess skin, and then the peeling begins :o This is also the lightest I have been since middle school, I was 260 when I started puberty freshman year.

I've been pushing my body too hard this week; I went on back to back hikes on the weekend, then had to move a house worth of furniture yesterday and today.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/385523317056077824/572274951084572674/20190427_162409.jpg

Latest picture of me from Saturday.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-05-01 at 12:53 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

DwarfClericGuy

My wife and I have been trying to get fit all year. It's mostly going great - we're just doing Weight Watchers and occasionally going to the park or gym (maybe once a week), but I'm down over 20 lbs to 166 (started the year at 189).

The big thing for me is meal prep. Weight Watchers is all about "points" for a meal, and we've had to find creative ways to eat healthy and well without spending a ton of cash or blowing all our points. Some of our new favorite meals are...

"Mini Quiches"
    : We've been making a huge batch of these every three weeks and freezing them. Makes for a quick and filling breakfast for just 1 point. It is by base not gluten free or vegetarian but could easily be made to be so.

Shredded Chicken: Weekly we just hand-trim some chicken breast and cook it in our instant pot, then freeze it. It's a quick way to add a bit of protein to a sandwich, soup, breakfast burrito, taco, or quesadilla without a lot of fuss.

Tortellini Soup
    White Chicken Chili
    Stir-fried Veggies and Beef
    "Tostadas" with homemade two-ingredient bread
    Chicken Tikka Masala
    White Wine and Fennel Glazed Chicken
    Garlic Teriyaki Chicken
    Southwest Style Pork Tenderloin

We also do a whole lot of "lightly seared meat + microwaved vegetable" dinners, with a rotation of seared pork chops, steak, sea scallops, or shrimp alongside a big serving of asparagus, green beans, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts. On the Weight Watchers scale all of these are less than 8 points per meal and a few of them like the Chicken Tikka Masala are functionally "zero points" (although in practice you'll probably end up with some bread or rice with it). If anyone is shopping for light meal recipes I am happy to post them

Exercise remains elusive. I am disabled, which limits what I can do. We're toying with buying some free weights and trying to strength our cores - any suggestions or advice? I'm starting to plateau and would like to drop another 10 pounds by the Holidays to be at a nice healthy weight.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    My wife and I have been trying to get fit all year. It's mostly going great - we're just doing Weight Watchers and occasionally going to the park or gym (maybe once a week), but I'm down over 20 lbs to 166 (started the year at 189).

The big thing for me is meal prep. Weight Watchers is all about "points" for a meal, and we've had to find creative ways to eat healthy and well without spending a ton of cash or blowing all our points. Some of our new favorite meals are...

"Mini Quiches"
    : We've been making a huge batch of these every three weeks and freezing them. Makes for a quick and filling breakfast for just 1 point. It is by base not gluten free or vegetarian but could easily be made to be so.

Shredded Chicken: Weekly we just hand-trim some chicken breast and cook it in our instant pot, then freeze it. It's a quick way to add a bit of protein to a sandwich, soup, breakfast burrito, taco, or quesadilla without a lot of fuss.

Tortellini Soup
    White Chicken Chili
    Stir-fried Veggies and Beef
    "Tostadas" with homemade two-ingredient bread
    Chicken Tikka Masala
    White Wine and Fennel Glazed Chicken
    Garlic Teriyaki Chicken
    Southwest Style Pork Tenderloin

We also do a whole lot of "lightly seared meat + microwaved vegetable" dinners, with a rotation of seared pork chops, steak, sea scallops, or shrimp alongside a big serving of asparagus, green beans, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts. On the Weight Watchers scale all of these are less than 8 points per meal and a few of them like the Chicken Tikka Masala are functionally "zero points" (although in practice you'll probably end up with some bread or rice with it). If anyone is shopping for light meal recipes I am happy to post them

Exercise remains elusive. I am disabled, which limits what I can do. We're toying with buying some free weights and trying to strength our cores - any suggestions or advice? I'm starting to plateau and would like to drop another 10 pounds by the Holidays to be at a nice healthy weight.
    Congrats! That is some good progress there :)

I would see if you can get a PT to help you decide on a specialized regime for your disability. That costs a bit though I understand if it isn't an option.

In general core strength is about stabilizing your body, strengthening things so sudden lurches or imbalances don't injure you. Planks are great, and can slowly get more conplicated by reaching hands out in front or to the side to build twisting stabilization.

I like bands as an at home exercise option. Thdy are cheaper then weights and can be used in a large range of motions, and are also more portable.

28. - Top - End - #88

This really depends on what type of disability you are talking about. Also, no matter what anyone suggests you should clear it with your physician first.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

I finally got to 249 yesterday, first round milestone since 299 in September. I had a small bowl of vanilla icecream with blueberries to celebrate, first ice cream I have had in 2 years. 9 pounds left until my stretch goal of 240 (I hot my original doctor goal of 260 in December.) 240 means I would really weigh 220 or so due to the massive amounts of excess skin, and then the peeling begins :o This is also the lightest I have been since middle school, I was 260 when I started puberty freshman year.
    That's awesome!

The big thing for me is meal prep. Weight Watchers is all about "points" for a meal, and we've had to find creative ways to eat healthy and well without spending a ton of cash or blowing all our points.
    The diet can honestly be the toughest part of staying fit so if you've got that part down then you're on a pretty good track already. As for exercising with a disability, tough to offer advice without knowing just what it is, although generally speaking, I would second the suggestion of a trainer who specializes in working with disabilities.

On my end: I hit 158lb as of my last weigh-in, which is my all-time high. This is the most I've ever weighed in my life. Not sure why that's such a weird thought to me. That was a week and a half ago, too, so it might be more now-- I'm hoping to hit an even 160 by Friday.

Lifts are increasing as well. On my last chest day I managed to bench 225lb for a fairly clean 2 reps, so I'd like to try and hit 250lb for my one rep max next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    That's awesome!

The diet can honestly be the toughest part of staying fit so if you've got that part down then you're on a pretty good track already. As for exercising with a disability, tough to offer advice without knowing just what it is, although generally speaking, I would second the suggestion of a trainer who specializes in working with disabilities.

On my end: I hit 158lb as of my last weigh-in, which is my all-time high. This is the most I've ever weighed in my life. Not sure why that's such a weird thought to me. That was a week and a half ago, too, so it might be more now-- I'm hoping to hit an even 160 by Friday.

Lifts are increasing as well. On my last chest day I managed to bench 225lb for a fairly clean 2 reps, so I'd like to try and hit 250lb for my one rep max next time.
    That is impressive work! I know you have struggled to gain weight so it is impressive you have gotten up there.

Benching my entire body weight is even more impressive, congrats man.

Diet wise what have you been doing?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-05-02 at 12:45 PM.