New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: #1231 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Have we ever seen him without the cloak and armour?
    I believe so.

It is possible that he has both of them tucked into his pants but I see no particular reason to assume he has.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I believe so.

It is possible that he has both of them tucked into his pants but I see no particular reason to assume he has.
    This is actually nice to know... it kind of makes the physical cloak a non-issue, unless someone comes up with powerful enough magic to destroy it utterly.

Basically we can treat the Cloak as part of Redcloak.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder what the Mantle actually does? Outside "plot device" there actually isn't much it does for an artifact, relatively speaking.

What we do know about it is that it grants the user
    • Immunity to diseases(came in handy once, not useless, but still kinda weaksauce especially for a cleric)
    • Knowledge of the divine half of the Ritual(excellent for the plot, less for much else)
    • Stalls the aging process(not quite unique but still very good for its purpose)

I mean it's not bad, but I guess it was never about giving much power to the Bearer and more about giving them an opportunity to do the Plan.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Some speculate that it gave him an immediate power boost, depending on your interpretation of his first kill in SoD and of Right-Eye's reaction to it.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2021-04-15 at 12:03 PM.
    ungelic is us

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I wonder what the Mantle actually does? Outside "plot device" there actually isn't much it does for an artifact, relatively speaking.
    • Knowledge of the divine half of the Ritual(excellent for the plot, less for much else)
    Given that it is a literal plot device, it doesn't really need to be good for much else.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Some speculate that it gave him an immediate power boost, depending on your interpretation of his first kill in SoD and of Right-Eye's reaction to it.
    Hmm, perhaps. Even if that paladin was really low-level, so was Redcloak. And there's something similar in Eberron I think, except with a location instead of an artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Given that it is a literal plot device, it doesn't really need to be good for much else.
    Fair.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    That was the same day Redcloak was being initiated as a full-fledged Cleric, IIRC, so it's likely RE may have just not known RC could do it to start with.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

As much as Redcloak's done a load of Evil things it's pretty easy to see how he was driven to that point, if you ask me.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    That was the same day Redcloak was being initiated as a full-fledged Cleric, IIRC, so it's likely RE may have just not known RC could do it to start with.
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    I believe that scene was initially used to justify the Destruction domain as it grants the 'Smite' power and that power can only be used once a day - so it matches the text nicely on two counts.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

But given this is a tongue-in-cheek DnD parody I'd Imagine someone would complain to the GM if they were given an artifact that does jack squat except advance the plot.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    But given this is a tongue-in-cheek DnD parody I'd Imagine someone would complain to the GM if they were given an artifact that does jack squat except advance the plot.
    IIRC Redcloak is a self-admitted NPC. So is the GM going to complain to himself?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

As much as Redcloak's done a load of Evil things it's pretty easy to see how he was driven to that point, if you ask me.
    Well, yeah, that's what makes him a compelling villain. It doesn't change the fact that he's evil, or that the story is not likely to give him a "happy" (or even "content") ending. Whatever his circumstances, his choices are his own and he has not had to do all of this, whatever he tells himself.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

13. - Top - End - #253
    Halfling in the Playground

What we do know about it is that it grants the user
    [LIST][*]Immunity to diseases(came in handy once, not useless, but still kinda weaksauce especially for a cleric)
    I only know "The Start of Darkness" from references but I have a question about this:
    Spoiler: From "The Start of Darkness"
    Show

If I remember correctly, Xykon and RC were defeated and imprisoned by Lirian using some kind of virus-like biological weapon that stripped them of their magic.

Was RC immune to this virus?
    Last edited by Ginasius; 2021-04-15 at 04:28 PM.
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    I only know "The Start of Darkness" from references but I have a question about this:
    Show

If I remember correctly, Xykon and RC were defeated and imprisoned by Lirian using some kind of virus-like biological weapon that stripped them of their magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, and he theorized the Crimson Mantle's effects were the reason why.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Answer
    Show

Yes.
    That is where we learned that the Crimson Mantle protected from disease.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. The Crimson Mantle allowing him to retain his magical abilities is what allowed their escape (by way of turning Xykon into a lich). Redclaok pretended he was affected too because they had already lsot the battle at this point. In fact I'm fairly confident this is the only time this property of the Mantle is ever mentionned.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-04-15 at 04:43 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

win - Ruck
    place - dancrilis
    show - Fyraltari

18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    For the Doylist Reason that Rich doesn't want to depict suicide as an answer (Even for the ghost in That's the spirit, moving on to the afterlife isn't the answer).

For the Watsonian reason that in the setting suicide doesn't even let you avoid your problems. If Redcloak kills himself, he'll end up face to face with Right-Eye and TDO.
    Suicide may have been what Javert chose, but that doesn't mean it was the right choice for him. He was a man of law and good, and when to be good required him to break the law, his entire worldview shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochotona View Post
    This, though, is a potentially fatal problem with the theory. I don't recall the Thor/Tiger discussion--where'd that happen? (#453's just a conflict over geography, not spell domains, right?) And do we know enough about what domain spells TDO clerics have versus what domains Loki/Tiamat/Rat have, to tell if there's an inconsistency?
    It may be an argument about geography, but Thor seems to be implying that "bending the rules" is an alert to the other gods, since by Hel's own statement in #1170, the gods don't watch everywhere all the time.

Though, I've actually come up with an even better argument:

There have been billions of worlds. Why wouldn't ANY of the trickster gods have thought of pulling this exact con before? The most likely answer is that they have, and that's why the other gods are skeptical of this one's existence.

19. - Top - End - #259

(SoD spoiler)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. The Crimson Mantle allowing him to retain his magical abilities is what allowed their escape (by way of turning Xykon into a lich). Redclaok pretended he was affected too because they had already lsot the battle at this point. In fact I'm fairly confident this is the only time this property of the Mantle is ever mentionned.
    Apologies if this has already been gone over countless times over the history of the forum: Did Xykon's lichification occur under an earlier rule version, a homebrew, or Because The Story Works Better This Way? I got curious and found this in the 3.5 SRD (emphases added)...
    Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Suicide may have been what Javert chose, but that doesn't mean it was the right choice for him. He was a man of law and good, and when to be good required him to break the law, his entire worldview shattered.
    Yours is more concise, but I think it could also be expressed as "When faced with a choice that made it impossible to rationalize that every Lawful action must also be morally Good, it forced him to re-examine the worldview he'd built upon that belief. He finally had to admit that many of his Lawful actions (based on that worldview) had in fact been immoral, and couldn't bear living with that knowledge."

Spoiler: I think it's clearer in the book, but the musical lyrics are more concise
    Show
    🎵 And must I now begin to doubt, who never doubted all these years?
    My heart is stone, and still it trembles -- the world I have known is lost in shadow
    Is he from heaven or from hell, and does he know?
    By granting me my life today, this man has killed me even so
    I am reaching, but I fall
    And the stars* grow black and cold
    As I stare into the void
    Of a world that cannot hold 🎶

* - I lost touch of the changes they kept making, so I don't know if the "Stars" song survived. In the earliest versions every major character gets a song that tells their story, and "Stars" was Javert's. He looks up to the stars as untouchable ideals, unaffected by the whims of man, and they serve as a metaphor for his absolute belief in Law.

It's why Redcloak reminds me of Javert. He's been incapable of questioning his escalating rationalizations that the Plan justifies anything, but he's coming up fast on events that will make that rationalization impossible. I can see him being so broken by the realization (that he's completely lost sight of the Plan's goal) that he chooses a path that abnegates (but doesn't destroy) his existence.

Edit: Adding another reply
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2021-04-15 at 07:14 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

20. - Top - End - #260

Though, I've actually come up with an even better argument:

There have been billions of worlds. Why wouldn't ANY of the trickster gods have thought of pulling this exact con before? The most likely answer is that they have, and that's why the other gods are skeptical of this one's existence.
    I know you didn't say "infinite", but it's the easiest way to explain it so I'm still using it. "Infinite" does not mean "all". There is an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, but none of those numbers are 3. Just because there are billions of worlds does not make it likely that the trickster gods (or even any gods, for that matter) have pulled a con like this before if it's not possible to pull the con to start with. Assuming that it's a con by the trickster gods assumes facts not in evidence (ie that gods can make fairly convincing illusory gods).

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Right. I don't think if Redcloak did decide to take off the Mantle and give up, it would be a "solution" to anything. It would only come after The Plan failed in some way and he realizes he can no longer rationalize all the terrible things he's done in its service.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

A dwarf came up to me and said
    "I'd like to change your mind
    By hitting it with a hammer, " he said,
    "Though I am not unkind."

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Apologies if this has already been gone over countless times over the history of the forum: Did Xykon's lichification occur under an earlier rule version, a homebrew, or Because The Story Works Better This Way? I got curious and found this in the 3.5 SRD (emphases added)...
    The Order was upgraded from 3.0 to 3.5 in the first strip, and the lichification was sometime before that. This implies that it should have involved rules from 3.0 or earlier.

In SoD, when Redcloak is suggesting the process to Xykon, he says:
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    You would need to build a special phylactery. It would hold your soul if your body was ever destroyed. I can help you with that, though -- there's no actual spellcasting involved.

I don't know if that matches any of the pre-3.5 rules sets.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    The Order was upgraded from 3.0 to 3.5 in the first strip, and the lichification was sometime before that. This implies that it should have involved rules from 3.0 or earlier.

In SoD, when Redcloak is suggesting the process to Xykon, he says:
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    You would need to build a special phylactery. It would hold your soul if your body was ever destroyed. I can help you with that, though -- there's no actual spellcasting involved.

I don't know if that matches any of the pre-3.5 rules sets.
    Thank you for the nudge and confirmation. (^_^) I ended up digging around a bit and it looks like the first character template came out 6 months after 3.5 was first published, but to me it doesn't look as properly fleshed-out (pun intended) as what's on d20srd. Tbh I have trouble understanding it, but unlike the template on d20srd I don't see anything in the first template that contradicts the story.

Plus: I initially thought otherwise, but the more I think about it, I don't see there being any inherent contradiction in SoD following a process that wasn't published until 3.5. If anything I think it's even more free of constraints that way... i.e. "Obviously a process must have existed, but the exact details are up to the DM".

Spoiler: 12/2003 template, published as web article
    Show
    To complete her transformation to a lich, the character must create a phylactery using the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The phylactery is crafted in three stages, and the lich transfers a bit more of her life force to it at each stage. It does not, however, grant her any of the normal benefits of a phylactery until it is fully completed.

Paying the cost of each stage of its construction is a prerequisite for the corresponding level in the lich template class. Thus, to take the 2nd level in this class, the lich must invest 40,000 gp and 1,600 XP in her phylactery. She must spend the same amount again to take the 3rd level, and once again to take the 4th level (for a total investment of 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP). She can complete the phylactery early if she wishes, though doing so does not grant her any additional abilities until she takes the appropriate levels in the template class.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    win - Ruck
    place - dancrilis
    show - Fyraltari
    I don't get it?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't get it?
    Ruck answered first and thus "Won", dan answered second, and thus placed second, you answered third, and thus just got "Showed up".
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't get it?
    That's how horse races list who finished first, second, and third.

I may have also borrowed from another forum I used to post on where "slow pony" instead of "ninja'd" was more common when posting something immediately after someone else had posted the same information.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Shosho View Post
    nice. lol

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    So the DO sees Redcloak as purely a tool
    I've always thought that Redcloak was a tool ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    The last thing Rich wants is TDO micromanaging Redcloak's life
    Indeed, and by the way that whole post was full of goodness. +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    This is why rocks sometimes fall and everyone sometimes dies ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shosho View Post
    Nice, but rather than have said rhyme with said in lines A and C ... let's try this, maybe?
    "I'd like to change your mind,
    By using this hammer to hit your head -
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #270

The idea isn't to avoid depicting suicide as the rational answer, but as one of the options at all. Really, the question of if his decision was rational is irrelevant as people engaging in rational, critical thought aren't at risk for suicide.

Javert's suicide wasn't rational, but it was definitely romantic. When people are in a mindset to make deeply irrational decisions (like when your entire worldview is shattered) they may act out example behaviors they've seen. Especially iconic examples. The Romanticism is problematic because it provides superficial justifications for the behavior (Javert was longer troubled by the law/good conflict; only a more rational/critical mind would see that his suicide did not create good or law, and eliminated the potential for both).