New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Rules Questions

1. - Top - End - #451
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Rules Questions

Quote Originally Posted by billan View Post
    A favorite tactic is to unequip all loot except for one lame one at the end of the turn, equip it all again at the beginning of the next turn, and then unequip all but the lame one at the end again.
    Legal, if perhaps a bit underhanded, according to
    apegamer and the Giant.

Are there any restrictions as to what can be traded between other players and when? Can loot be traded between players?
    Loot is given in exchange for assistance, or for healing from Durkon, or other situations that call for it. But loot is not given in exchange for other loot.

Screw This cards? Monster cards in your Battle Hand? Saved monsters that have been defeated?
    No. The rules say what you can do with those cards, and trading isn't one of the options given.

If Belkar attacks Roy who uses Logic and wins so Belkar must lose a turn. The rules say that Belkar is immediately put on his side. Can he collect a loot in the room he's in at the end of his current turn?
    No, see page 20 of the rulebook, under "Missing a Turn": "When something causes you to miss a turn, place your Character Move Token on its side in the room immediately. You are now missing a turn." So losing a turn is really more like "lose one and a half turns".

2. - Top - End - #452
    Pixie in the Playground

new question.

I don't have the game in front of me so I'll try to explain as best as I can...

I play Roy. And I get to fight with Xykon... I use Charge so I attack instead of defend. Then I use Greenhilt Sword and both boosts. That's +6 Attack [If I remember correctly]. I ask for assistance from others players and I get it. Then one of my shtick cards [I think Blood Oath of Vengeance] says that I boost every shtick card. So... I boost the Greenhilt Sword one more time [+8] or I boost and the three copies [+12]?

hope you get what I mean...
    My Character...
    Spoiler
    Show

Gorzun Longshots - Orc Hunter

3. - Top - End - #453

Quote Originally Posted by spawn_I View Post
    Then one of my shtick cards [I think Blood Oath of Vengeance] says that I boost every shtick card. So... I boost the Greenhilt Sword one more time [+8] or I boost and the three copies [+12]?
    The Blood Oath gives you only one extra boost to the Greenhilt Sword, not three. When it says that it boosts all your other shticks, that means that it also boosts Great Cleavage, Logic, Bag of Tricks, etc. (Once each.) But the boost to the Greenhilt Sword is the only one that will matter anyway, in this case.

If you had already flipped Charge!, and if you weren't confident about defending against Xykon, then you could use the Plate Mail and Boots (boosted by the Blood Oath), and then attack on your next turn, with the Blood Oath now boosting the Greenhilt Sword. That's the only situation I can think of where having the Blood Oath boost other shticks would help.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ok, I played this for the first time last october at Necronomicon in FL, and bought it a week or 2 later. My gaming group has figured out pretty much every rules question, but the support thing has got me completely confused. I'm not sure how the support abilities work, and in what order they go in. For example (don't have the game, posting at work) if I started a battle size 3 battle with some demon roaches, then put say, an ogre that gains +1 wound when it's supported, then on top of that gets put a goblin that gains +2 A/D for every supporting character. Does the goblin get the support from the roaches, and once the goblin is dead, the roaches then support the ogre? Also, does the support ability only count for monsters on the battle stack in one room, or are monsters supported by all the monsters on the floor (that apply). If someone can give me a run down of how it works, that would be great!

5. - Top - End - #455

Quote Originally Posted by Nowell View Post
    if I started a battle size 3 battle with some demon roaches, then put say, an ogre that gains +1 wound when it's supported, then on top of that gets put a goblin that gains +2 A/D for every supporting character.
    Firstly, it sounds like you're stacking the monsters in the wrong order. The first one played stays on top; the second one goes under that; the third goes under the second. (See "Playing Monsters" on page 11 of the rulebook.) The exception is the Demon Roaches, which always go to the bottom of the stack. But any others stay in their normal order, with earlier-played ones higher in the stack, so they are battled in the same order in which they were played.

Does the goblin get the support from the roaches, and once the goblin is dead, the roaches then support the ogre?
    That's right - except with the stacking in the proper order, the Ogre would be supported first, and then the Goblin.

According to the original rules as printed in the rulebook, the Roaches would support both of the other monsters at the same time. (In the case of Deadly or Assist, it would make a difference if you were battling both monsters together using an Area Effect shtick.) But the support rules were changed in the FAQ so that each supporting monster only supports the topmost monster that it could support at any one time, to prevent Horde clusters from getting ridiculously huge.

Also, does the support ability only count for monsters on the battle stack in one room, or are monsters supported by all the monsters on the floor (that apply).
    All on the same floor, for as long as they remain alive and on that floor.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That makes more sense. So basically say I have a stack with 2 goblins that are supported by goblins for +2 A/D, and then a normal goblin under them. The top goblin would have +4 A/D, and the next goblin would have +2 A/D? And the part about monsters only being able to support one monster at a time is basically only to keep horde under control (since I don't see any other way it would matter).

also I saw a question earlier in here and made me wonder. when starting your movement, and there is a monster in your room (say, you hid from that monster last turn) are you required to fight the monster? Or can you move out of that room. also, if you are moving through a room with a monster, you don't have to fight it unless you end your movement there, right?

7. - Top - End - #457

So basically say I have a stack with 2 goblins that are supported by goblins for +2 A/D, and then a normal goblin under them. The top goblin would have +4 A/D, and the next goblin would have +2 A/D?
    Right.

And the part about monsters only being able to support one monster at a time is basically only to keep horde under control (since I don't see any other way it would matter).
    It would matter if you attack multiple monsters at once with an Area Effect shtick. But the motivation for the change was Horde, yes.

when starting your movement, and there is a monster in your room (say, you hid from that monster last turn) are you required to fight the monster?
    No, you can run away in search of a more favorable fight (or no fight at all) in another room.

also, if you are moving through a room with a monster, you don't have to fight it unless you end your movement there, right?
    Right. Unless someone plays a Failed Spot Check on you.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

And one last one. Monsters on the stack, can only be supported by monsters beneath them? So in that goblin scenario, that top goblin wouldn't support the goblin under it (if I were using an area of effect spell). Basically saying, whatever is on top of the stack can only be supported by things under it.

9. - Top - End - #459

Monsters on the stack, can only be supported by monsters beneath them?
    No, a higher/earlier monster can support a lower/later one. That can make a difference for Area Effect, as you said, and also Horde.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ok, so just let me see if I understand. Say I have a battle size 3. The top monster is a goblin with horde, supported by goblins. The second is the same monster, and the third is a goblin that gets +2 A/D for each goblin. I'd play the first one, then the second one would support the top one, and the top would support the second one (adding +2 to battle size). 2 forgettable goblins are played next. They support the horde (once each) to give +2 to the battle size. After that, some undead/kobolds or something are played that don't support anything. Making the total battle size a 7. I kill the first goblin with horde, can continue to kill the second. I'm now fighting the goblin that gets +2 A/D for each supporting goblin. But since the forgettable goblins supported the horde goblins earlier, do they now support the +2 A/D goblin? Or do you choose what creature is supporting what creature when they are played?

11. - Top - End - #461

But since the forgettable goblins supported the horde goblins earlier, do they now support the +2 A/D goblin?
    Yes. At any one time, they support the topmost Goblin-supportable monster.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Alrighty. Think I understand it. But the goblins can only support 1 monster at a time, so if they support the horde, they don't support the +2 A/D in the case of an AoE attack? But they do support the topmost goblin later in the battle.

13. - Top - End - #463

But the goblins can only support 1 monster at a time, so if they support the horde, they don't support the +2 A/D in the case of an AoE attack?
    Right.

But they do support the topmost goblin later in the battle.
    If you battle them one at a time (no Area Effect), so that the Assisted goblin survives longer than the ones on top of it and becomes the topmost monster remaining, then yes.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think I get it. and horde is only effected at the beginning of the battle. so say, 3 goblins support the horde, and I kill the top monster, those 3 goblins now support the +2 A/D goblin that's now on top of the stack? just those 3 that supported the horde first round can't support the +2 A/D in the case of an AOE attack

15. - Top - End - #465

Right, you got it.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Hooray! Haha Thanks for all the help!

17. - Top - End - #467
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Hello!

If I am standing in The Hall of Mysterious Runes (which adds +2 attack and +2 defense when using a magic shtick in the room) and making a ranged attack in to the next room over with a magic shtick, do I get the bonus?

Clearly I am in the room. And clearly I am using a magic shtick. But it isn't clear if I am "using a magic shtick in this room."

Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #468
    APE Games in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by megamuphen View Post
    If I am standing in The Hall of Mysterious Runes (which adds +2 attack and +2 defense when using a magic shtick in the room) and making a ranged attack in to the next room over with a magic shtick, do I get the bonus?
    You DO get the bonus.

Conversely (inversely?) you do NOT get the bonus if you're using a magic shtick INTO the Hall of Mysterious Runes from another room.
    Owner of APE Games.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q: Does the sthicks (or screw this) that flip others players card (like party leader veto) is able to flip card that usually don´t flip?
    For example, can Roy flip Belkar's Twin daggers of Doom?
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

20. - Top - End - #470

Yes, they do.
    Owner of APE Games.

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by PePe_QuiCoSE View Post
    Q: Does the sthicks (or screw this) that flip others players card (like party leader veto) is able to flip card that usually don´t flip?
    Yes. According to the rulebook (page 22), shticks that usually don't flip "can be flipped by a shtick or Screw This! card that says it can flip any shtick". If the card that does the flipping doesn't specify any restrictions on which shticks it can flip, then it can flip any shtick.

22. - Top - End - #472

Quote Originally Posted by prj View Post
    Yes. According to the rulebook (page 22), shticks that usually don't flip "can be flipped by a shtick or Screw This! card that says it can flip any shtick". If the card that does the flipping doesn't specify any restrictions on which shticks it can flip, then it can flip any shtick.
    Oh, ok. Sorry about that. I had read the rulebook but forgot about it (and didn't knew where to look for them). Actually, i thought it was like that until i realized that Party Leader Veto + Fearless Leader is a nasty way to shut down annoying players (like Belkar, vetoing his Twin Daggers of Doom).

Also, it´s probably stated in the rules that you can trade loot between players outside the standard specify rules, right?. Asking won't hurt (since i don't have the rulebook here but i do have internet). Like V asking for loot (not necessarily he/she drools over) to buff one of your shticks besides one loot (which drools over) for the +2 assistance?
    AKA Yakkul

23. - Top - End - #473

Also, it´s probably stated in the rules that you can trade loot between players outside the standard specify rules, right?
    No, that isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules. If there's a deal that involves loot changing hands (like getting healed by Durkon), the rules or cards will say so.

Asking won't hurt (since i don't have the rulebook here but i do have internet).
    You can download PDFs of the rulebook and FAQ. Unfortunately, in the rulebook, even the text is made of images, so you can't search for key words. You have to know where to look, just like with the paper copy.

24. - Top - End - #474

About V's shtick, Evan's Spiked Tentacles Of Forced Intrusion, what is the use to nullify the Flying ability? I get to see the rewards for V for canceling multiattack , but V´s shticks are not affected by range (except the quarter-staff, which you'd only be using against enchanted monsters, but Evan's Spiked Tentacles Of Forced Intrusion can't be used against them).

If you can play the card at any time, i see the point: you can use it to help other player with range 0 shticks deal with flying monsters.
    But if you can only play it in your turn, it seems useless. Though, i interpret that shticks are only used on your turn unless stated otherwise (like shticks that prevent wounds).

Either way, I'd appreciate an explanation of how this shticks works and it's intent.

No, that isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules. If there's a deal that involves loot changing hands (like getting healed by Durkon), the rules or cards will say so.
    Then the Buff spell of V looks such a waste. I mean, the only purpose of this shtick is to extra assist a player just because you feel so.
    AKA Yakkul

25. - Top - End - #475

If you can play the card (Evan's Tentacles) at any time, i see the point: you can use it to help other player with range 0 shticks deal with flying monsters.
    Yes, I believe that's the case here.

Though, i interpret that shticks are only used on your turn unless stated otherwise (like shticks that prevent wounds).
    Shticks are used whenever they say they can be used. Wound-preventing shticks would typically be useful on your own turn, but could be useful on someone else's turn - say, for a multi-target trap, or for a battle where you assisted, the other player lost, and someone played There's No "I" in Team.

There are some printing mistakes - Roy's Party Leader Veto and Haley's Second in Command are to be used only at the start of their own turns. But those are explicitly mentioned in the FAQ. If the rules or the card don't say it's limited to your own turn, and if there hasn't been a correction adding that limitation, then there is no limitation.

Then the Buff spell of V looks such a waste. I mean, the only purpose of this shtick is to extra assist a player just because you feel so.
    Well, you use Buff Spell while assisting. Since you're assisting, loot can change hands. So you might demand some extra Drool Factors' worth of loot for the use of Buff Spell. Or you might use it to outbid another potential assister - if Roy can get assistance from either Durkon or V, and V's offering to Buff, then V's more likely to get to assist (and thus get some loot, even if it's just one Drool Factor). Or you could just be magnanimous - since V has to rest relatively often, it certainly doesn't hurt to earn some goodwill.

26. - Top - End - #476

So, it's me still around here! Thanks for the answers so far

Question:

You can't move into a room and attack a player if there are monsters in the same room but (if your room is clear from monsters) can you make ranged attacks against a player with monsters in the same room?

Also, Belkar's Keen Nose doesn't specify how the monster to be shown is chosen. The player can choose which one to show you then? (showing you the same one over and over).
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 2008-07-30 at 07:32 AM.
    AKA Yakkul

27. - Top - End - #477

(if your room is clear from monsters) can you make ranged attacks against a player with monsters in the same room?
    Yes. If you don't move, and there are no monsters in your room, then you can attack any target within your range. (Rulebook, page 12.)

Also, Belkar's Keen Nose doesn't specify how the monster to be shown is chosen. The player can choose which one to show you then? (showing you the same one over and over).
    That's my interpretation.

28. - Top - End - #478

That's my interpretation.
    That's a correct interpretation.
    Last edited by apegamer; 2008-08-02 at 08:56 AM.
    Owner of APE Games.

29. - Top - End - #479

Ok, so this came up.
    Xykon Special does not allow you to refuse assisting a player. Can this be done through Screw This! cards? Like playing Solo Challenge or Double Cross?
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 2008-08-14 at 09:43 AM. Reason: nvm, found it on the rules
    AKA Yakkul

30. - Top - End - #480

Xykon Special does not allow you to refuse assisting a player. Can this be done through Screw This! cards? Like playing Solo Challenge or Double Cross?
    By my reading, those are both legal. You're only required to give assistance if the battling player asks, and Solo Challenge stops them from asking. Double Cross seems to me like it would be against the spirit of the no-refusal rule, and maybe it should be amended to prohibit its use for Xykon, but it seems to be ok as written.