New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default *spoilers* Something that's been bothering me about Xykon...

I have watched, I have observed, I have judged and I have observed some significant discrepancies between Xykon's behaviour and his presentation:

In strip #901 Xykon explicitly tells Redcloak, an already established evil character, to "zip it" when he suggests that they murder the heroes of this story. Afterwards, he gave great consideration to the contributions of MitD, a fragile, bullied character, and he agreed that his suggestions had merit and should be followed.

In addition, earlier Xykon clearly forbade this evil Redcloak from recovering from the injuries inflicted upon him by a paladin of virtue and justice.

Furthermore, Xykon unquestionably helped our heroes by attempting to opt for the peaceful solution during Roy's rude assault of his silver dragon and by offering Vaarsuvious sage advice on the nature of magic and power itself.

All of this suggests to me that, Xykon may not be Chaotic Evil monster he is presented to be. In fact, consider his spat with the Sapphire Guard in the throne room. Xykon clearly showed no hostility and only tried to defend himself with Meteor Swarm when attacked. This shows that Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins, who in their usual prejudice simply tried to kill him for it. This shows that Xykon is in fact, a Lawful Good paragon of justice who is scared and frightened of his lich body and the evil of Redcloak. However, Xykon has nowhere else to go as no one but Redcloak is willing to accept him in his lich form.

Thus, Xykon does as much good as he can under his difficult circumstances. While I do not care much for Xykon, I believe he is certainly more heroic than the likes of Roy who tried to murder him and Durkon who is bloodsucking monster respectively.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: *spoilers* Something that's been bothering me about Xykon...

Until the words "Lawful Good" (and, to greater extent, until the Sapphire Guard part) I really thought you were on to interesting idea.
    "...As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    All the general's dinosaurs
    and all the general's men
    couldn't keep the Order
    from leaving again.
    Thanks to Cuthalion for awesome avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

[CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kruploy View Post
    No. No. No.

Read Start of Darkness, read the commentary.

No no no no.
    Playing:
    Rouge Legacy
    Chess (On FB, not the musical)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Someone's havin' a giggle

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGirl

Ah, very funny. Here you go, at least one person who can take a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Hear, hear! It's a shame the true hero of the story is getting so little screen time lately.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin-28 View Post
    Someone's havin' a giggle
    Yes, this is what this is about. Putting in some ridiculous idea and see when all kinds of people show up to discuss it? I fear it'll work.

Xykon is clearly not anything but CE and as crackpot theories that were there just for the giggles, I have seen some I found funnier. The "Xykon is LG approach" is not really new and I consider it a dud in general.

But feel free try again, I'm sure there's new and creative, funny ways to twist what we've seen in the comic.
    I feel naked. You all know my stats!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Kruploy

I wish to thank you, for your proving you belong on this board with your first theory out of the gate.

Welcome and may you post long and often.

Our intrepid sorrcerror has an ubridal hate for Mages that have studied and learned there magics. This makes him part of the dark side.

Secondly he is willing to hinder a fellow that helps him by making sure that he can not see.

Third just because someone is chaotic does not mean they will not cross a bridge. When they can jump off of the same bridge.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I have watched, I have observed, I have judged and I have observed some significant discrepancies between Xykon's behaviour and his presentation:

In strip #901 Xykon explicitly tells Redcloak, an already established evil character, to "zip it" when he suggests that they murder the heroes of this story. Afterwards, he gave great consideration to the contributions of MitD, a fragile, bullied character, and he agreed that his suggestions had merit and should be followed.

In addition, earlier Xykon clearly forbade this evil Redcloak from recovering from the injuries inflicted upon him by a paladin of virtue and justice.

Furthermore, Xykon unquestionably helped our heroes by attempting to opt for the peaceful solution during Roy's rude assault of his silver dragon and by offering Vaarsuvious sage advice on the nature of magic and power itself.

All of this suggests to me that, Xykon may not be Chaotic Evil monster he is presented to be. In fact, consider his spat with the Sapphire Guard in the throne room. Xykon clearly showed no hostility and only tried to defend himself with Meteor Swarm when attacked. This shows that Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins, who in their usual prejudice simply tried to kill him for it. This shows that Xykon is in fact, a Lawful Good paragon of justice who is scared and frightened of his lich body and the evil of Redcloak. However, Xykon has nowhere else to go as no one but Redcloak is willing to accept him in his lich form.

Thus, Xykon does as much good as he can under his difficult circumstances. While I do not care much for Xykon, I believe he is certainly more heroic than the likes of Roy who tried to murder him and Durkon who is bloodsucking monster respectively.
    Okay, of whom are you a sockpuppet? There's no way this sort of alternate character interpretation, the format of which has bounced around the board for years, comes from a completely new reader

If you couldn't tell, this post is tongue in cheek.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Copperdragon View Post
    But feel free try again, I'm sure there's new and creative, funny ways to twist what we've seen in the comic.
    You mean like Miko being a Monk/Barbarian/Cleric mix and still managing to piss off the Universe as a whole so badly that she Fell (lost her theoretical Cleric abilities) harder than a solid gold cement mixer filled with anvils?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Since you're new, we should probably let you know about the ettiquette and protocol for this sort of thing. We use blue color font when we post interesting theories that we want to share with everyone and regular font when we're not serious.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaOOTSFan View Post
    No. No. No.

Read Start of Darkness, read the commentary.

No no no no.
    It's a joke. And a moderately amusing one, I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Okay, of whom are you a sockpuppet? There's no way this sort of alternate character interpretation, the format of which has bounced around the board for years, comes from a completely new reader

If you couldn't tell, this post is tongue in cheek.
    My soul stands resolute and firm, like that of the samurai that stands proud beside my words. I have never told a single lie in my life nor have I ever engaged in deception of any sort. I am no sockpuppet, I simply give voice to the truths that nobody else has the moral courage to speak of. In this way I am an unsung hero of justice meting out good yet rarely appreciated...just like Xykon.

@denthor

I appreciate the thanks. It's always good to know that I have discovered a forum full of considerate, reasonable people who consider their words before stating them and seldom, if ever, jump to conclusions. Such commodities seem rare these days.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

This would explain why didn't Xykon blow Fyron up immediately instead of returning there in the nighttime. He was a gentleman thief, trying to steal with no unnecessary killing.

Nope, joking aside that remains the only one of Xykon's moves I do not understand in his mind.
    Last edited by Meph; 2013-12-23 at 03:04 PM.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    Since you're new, we should probably let you know about the ettiquette and protocol for this sort of thing. We use blue color font when we post interesting theories that we want to share with everyone and regular font when we're not serious.

Blue text is for amateurs.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IW Judicator View Post
    You mean like Miko being a Monk/Barbarian/Cleric mix and still managing to piss off the Universe as a whole so badly that she Fell (lost her theoretical Cleric abilities) harder than a solid gold cement mixer filled with anvils?
    Build a good case around why the Twelve Gods show up and cause the fall and you might have a case. Throw in a piece of Bard as well, that makes it funnier with the "must be chaotic" from it and the "must be lawful" from the Monk. Or something.
    I feel naked. You all know my stats!

18. - Top - End - #18

Man, I haven't seen a thread like this in a while. I remember earlier on, there was the whole edgy "root for the villains" team, but it seemed to peter out after the end of Azure City. Or so I thought.
    !

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

I can't tell at all if this is a joke or not…
    Agincourt Gambit

Credits to PessimismRocks for the awesome avatar.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, Xykon does periodically kill a lot of goblins and hobgoblins, which IS a lawful good thing to do.... hmm...

21. - Top - End - #21

Build a good case around why the Twelve Gods show up and cause the fall and you might have a case. Throw in a piece of Bard as well, that makes it funnier with the "must be chaotic" from it and the "must be lawful" from the Monk. Or something.
    Bards don't have to be Chaotic, they just have to be unLawful. Which is still enough to disqualify them from being Monks. Barbarians also must be unLawful, so that's covered.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

...Alternate theory: Same as the above, except that when the Twelve Gods got tired of Miko...being Miko in general...they instead hit her with enough damage to put her into a permanent Barbarian Rage, thus denying her the capacity to either cast (thus replicating a 'Fall') and also making her immune to basic logic and reason, with the added bonus of wanting to kill things. Oh, and thus her change in color from blue to not blue.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IW Judicator View Post
    ...Alternate theory: Same as the above, except that when the Twelve Gods got tired of Miko...being Miko in general...they instead hit her with enough damage to put her into a permanent Barbarian Rage, thus denying her the capacity to either cast (thus replicating a 'Fall') and also making her immune to basic logic and reason, with the added bonus of wanting to kill things. Oh, and thus her change in color from blue to not blue.
    That would also explain her being split in half (lethal damage) when the gate exploded, when O-chul was simply shot waaaay out into the battlefield, while still surviving the fall damage, even though she was a higher level paladin than him.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

He's like Thanos. He subconsciously wants to be defeated.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

26. - Top - End - #26

Did Miko write this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    You are presuming that Ridureyu is trying to be a troll.

I tend to think of him more as a Performance Artist, myself.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbad Ironclaw View Post
    I can't tell at all if this is a joke or not…
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinsfeld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Did Miko write this?
    This is 100% a joke, people. Seriously. Let me remind you of the bit where "Xykon merely wanted to play catch with the paladins", okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I appreciate the thanks. It's always good to know that I have discovered a forum full of considerate, reasonable people who consider their words before stating them and seldom, if ever, jump to conclusions. Such commodities seem rare these days.
    This should be in blue.
    "And remember... avoid pears... you'll understand when the time comes..."
    -A.S.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Blue text is for amateurs.
    I agree with you almost all the time, but never more so than this. I was told the other day that I'd "forgotten" to write my obviously-sarcastic post in blue and I genuinely couldn't think of a reply that properly conveyed my revulsion at the idea without seeming incredibly rude.

Blue text is the written equivalent of this, and if you need it then you are doing sarcasm wrong.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

First, please don't start threads with ideas you don't support just to see what reactions you get. That's almost the definition of trolling.

Second, the whole "blue text" thing is not a forum rule or even a recommended procedure. If someone wants to do it in their own posts, fine, but everyone should stop telling people that they "need to" or "should have" posted in blue just because they're being sarcastic/ironic/whatever.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~