New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One D&D UA #2: "Expert Classes" Coming 9/29

The class grouping/categorization is a solid idea.

I bet they break it with at least one class design, though. I don't know which one, I just don't think WOTC will stick the landing on it.

Sounds like they got some feedback generally paralleling my thoughts on some changes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: One D&D UA #2: "Expert Classes" Coming Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Cleric and Druid will definitely both be full casters and definitely both be Priests so I don't expect them to make too big changes to the Warlock on those grounds.

In fact, Wizard and Sorcerer will likely both be mages, both full casters and both even use the same list. (I don't expect them to remove Sorcerer either given that the number of subclasses is going up rather than down.)

*bows*

Currently they're available to anyone who can cast the spell. We'll have to see the document to know for sure, but as it currently stands that means nobody without spellcasting will have access to them at all. Good news for Paladins, bad news for Scout Rogues on Phantom Steeds.

Not to mess up your table, but he let slip that there is a Priest Group around 10 minutes into the video
    Unfortunate if they decide the fighter cant follow a ritual.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

17:43 - Class capstones will now all be at 18th level. At 20th you will now get an Epic Boon. This implies huge changes to multiple classes, most of all the Paladin, who uniquely gained their subclass capstone as their class capstone previously.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. Some of the boons are REALLY powerful (two 9th level spell slots, anyone?). Also, the boons are not thematically tied to the class. Personally, I prefer a capstone that embodies the (sub)class for which it's made. It's one reason I love the paladin so much, and why damn near every homebrew I make uses subclass capstones.

I guess I'll wait and see, but I'm not too excited about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Or do I smell AD&D 2e?
    He actually mentioned 2e specifically in the video. So I'm pretty sure that's what you're smelling. :D
    Insert Clever Signature Here

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Not to mess up your table, but he let slip that there is a Priest Group around 10 minutes into the video
    I can't find it. Do you have a time stamp?
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I want the fighter attack progression to go 1/2/3/4 at levels 1/5/11/17 just like cantrips.
    Let the Capstone be something else.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #36
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I can't find it. Do you have a time stamp?
    Sorry, meant to say 14 minutes. 14:00-14:05 is where he lets it slip.

I want the fighter attack progression to go 1/2/3/4 at levels 1/5/11/17 just like cantrips.
    a) We don't yet know if cantrip progression will change
    b) Capstone at 18 is great, it means we can actually use our capstones for a while before the end of the campaign. (It likely also means that subclass capstones will be even earlier, say 15-16)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-09-28 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

From the video, it seems like it'll be 1/5/11/18. So not too far off. And capstones are (potentially) now boons from the DMG.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

How is that different from today? That's an honest question; I'm not seeing any non-Experts getting this feature anywhere, though I might be forgetting a subclass of some kind.

It's not. But usually, when I see a new edition or whatever they want to call this, I'd like to see problems I have with the current system improved in some way. And as of now, my personal biggest issues are: 1) Mundanes have terrible out of combat utility. 2) The most complex and interesting martial is the Battle Master, and honestly, it's still pretty boring. To the point that I only play casters in 5e these days, despite thinking martials are far cooler conceptually.

So, that's the stuff I'm looking for. If it appears those issues aren't on their radar to be solved, well, then I probably won't get the new edition.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2022-09-28 at 03:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, meant to say 14 minutes. 14:00-14:05 is where he lets it slip.
    Thanks. I completely missed that.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just hope they don't turn the fighter core class into a warblade. At most have that as a subclass. Just MHO.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    I just hope they don't turn the fighter core class into a warblade. At most have that as a subclass. Just MHO.
    And the exact opposite for me, of course. They tried to make the Warblade a subclass, there's just not enough room in a subclass to make a Warblade that actually interesting.

It'll be interesting from an academic standpoint to see where they go with things.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't get too hopeful, this was recorded before the last survey closed so not all of the changes are due to feedback. But these could be.
    Crawford claims that they were always going to test opposite approaches, and that they haven't really started analysing survey results yet (The video seems to have been recorded a week ago, what with him saying that the survey will be open for one more week).
    Vacillating on whether to keep the blue, then. Hoping for the described way to win out thus far.

How is that different from today? That's an honest question; I'm not seeing any non-Experts getting this feature anywhere, though I might be forgetting a subclass of some kind.

I expect Skill Expert will still be around in 1DD, just with a higher level requirement. Meaning that if you want expertise in Tier 1, your only means of doing so will be to roll or multiclass an Expert.
    That's my point. I want it to be different from today. Today is, in my opinion, bad. I do not expect them to stop pretending that a couple Expertise'd proficiencies are comparable to getting ever increasing numbers of spells known and per day, but at least give everyone who doesn't have spells Expertise so that they can work with skills properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    And the exact opposite for me, of course. They tried to make the Warblade a subclass, there's just not enough room in a subclass to make a Warblade that actually interesting.

It'll be interesting from an academic standpoint to see where they go with things.
    It's not. But usually, when I see a new edition or whatever they want to call this, I'd like to see problems I have with the current system improved in some way. And as of now, my personal biggest issues are: 1) Mundanes have terrible out of combat utility. 2) The most complex and interesting martial is the Battle Master, and honestly, it's still pretty boring. To the point that I only play casters in 5e these days, despite thinking martials are far cooler conceptually.

So, that's the stuff I'm looking for. If it appears those issues aren't on their radar to be solved, well, then I probably won't get the new edition.
    Not expecting anything in that direction, personally. Would love if there was, but I sincerely doubt it will ever happen with the current zeitgeist. Again, would love to be proven wrong. But these days I'm increasingly leaning towards "maybe there are no good d20 games for me".
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2022-09-28 at 04:39 PM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

13. - Top - End - #43

I guess we'll find out when we see the new Rogue tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    That's my point. I want it to be different from today. Today is, in my opinion, bad. I do not expect them to stop pretending that a couple Expertise'd proficiencies are comparable to getting ever increasing numbers of spells known and per day, but at least give everyone who doesn't have spells Expertise so that they can work with skills properly.
    Everyone can get Expertise - via a feat.

If you mean "Fighters, Barbarians, Monks and Paladins should get Expertise as a base class feature"... uh, no.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Not expecting anything in that direction, personally. Would love if there was, but I sincerely doubt it will ever happen with the current zeitgeist. Again, would love to be proven wrong.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It’s unfortunate that with the DCs of skills as they currently are, the only way to get better than even odds of performing at the highest level, is with Expertise. Which just continues the trend of certain classes doing little to nothing outside of combat.

You could theoretically fix the problem by changing DCs (but so far in the packets that has not been demonstrated with 30 being the designated most difficult DC as it is in the base game) or expanding Proficiency Bonuses a bit. Which I doubt will happen with the promise of backwards compatibility.

The other option is to grant actual out of combat features. Which, WotC has been pretty tentative about. There’s definitely some out there. The skill maneuvers in Tasha’s which are mostly just worse Expertise. The most interesting is definitely Swashbucklers charm effect. But on the whole they’re pretty mediocre.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The placing of Bard in the "Expert" category I hope means they're paring down their spell casting in favor of expanding Bardic Inspiration. As a mundane feature it's too good to be exclusive to a full caster imo.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Makorel View Post
    The placing of Bard in the "Expert" category I hope means they're paring down their spell casting in favor of expanding Bardic Inspiration. As a mundane feature it's too good to be exclusive to a full caster imo.
    IMO, the bard should never have been a full caster.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The mvp of many threads, and counting, does it yet again!

Seriously, greatly appreciated Psyren. Keep up the good work.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The other option is to grant actual out of combat features. Which, WotC has been pretty tentative about. There’s definitely some out there. The skill maneuvers in Tasha’s which are mostly just worse Expertise. The most interesting is definitely Swashbucklers charm effect. But on the whole they’re pretty mediocre.
    Maybe that's the way they'll go, I suppose. The grouping of Warrior might suggest something like a common mechanic - maybe maneuvers? Although it all depends on how they group them. I'd rather Monk be Warrior and Paladin be Priest than in reverse.

Everyone can get Expertise - via a feat.

If you mean "Fighters, Barbarians, Monks and Paladins should get Expertise as a base class feature"... uh, no.
    Paladins can go hang. But Fighters, Barbarians and Monks should get at least a couple of Expertise points, possibly more. Rogue gets four and should frankly get more anyway.

QFT. 2/3 off a very limited list or 1/2 off a less limited one is exactly where Bard belongs.
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2022-09-28 at 05:08 PM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

A brief mention of a new way of using skills. Very curious what they'll do there. It's nice Rangers will get Expertise, but I'm a little disappointed it likely means the Warrior classes won't get it. It was a hopeful idea in another thread to improve their lot. Oh well. I'll still offer the suggestion when the time comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

A thing to note about subclasses, he said they're (we're?) playtesting 40 subclasses, not that the updated PHB would be limited to 40-something. And since it's supposedly backwards compatible then subclasses from other sourcebooks should be available too as they are. Or who knows there may come adjustment erratas.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2022-09-28 at 05:20 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Crit rules being reversed and Nat1s granting Inspiration instead of Nat20 is worrying. It's almost as if they're listening to feedback.

Only experts getting Expertise is worrying, no blue color. Especially since two Experts are almost surely spellcasters, so Expertise is less about skills being a way to compete with spells and more an arbitrary thing you either get by fluff or don't.

Experts getting to dip class abilities from other classes is double worrying. Need to see how it works first, though.

48 subclasses, huh? Willing to bet that at least, let's say, 15 of them will be Cleric and Wizard subclasses, and some other classes will get like 2 or 3 tops. Such is the way of WotC.
    Twelve classes, four subclasses each would be my guess. If so it means changes to Cleric Domains and Wizard Schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    The mvp of many threads, and counting, does it yet again!

Seriously, greatly appreciated Psyren. Keep up the good work.
    You're just trying to get in my sig!

Ahh who am I kidding, you win.

Paladins can go hang. But Fighters, Barbarians and Monks should get at least a couple of Expertise points, possibly more. Rogue gets four and should frankly get more anyway.
    Just give them more feats. Boom, you have an extra one you can spend on Skill Expert, problem solved.

And that way, Rogue (who also gets more feats) can stay on top of the Expertise game where they belong.

This sounds like a fantastic way to shatter their base beyond mending and ensure a good chunk of people never convert to 1DD. In short, awful idea.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ah, so the tried and true Fighter/Wizard/Rogue/Cleric class taxonomy after all. Interesting

Warriors

Fighter
    Barbarian
    Paladin?
    Monk?

Mage

Wizard
    Sorcerer
    Warlock

Expert

Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger
    Artificer

Priest

Cleric
    Druid
    Paladin?
    Monk?

I like this sort of stratum because you can emphasise some intramural class features - such as the god forsaken OOC utility discussion - without piddling concerns of classes erratically stepping on the toes of other class' features. Barbarian and Fighter can both be stronkmen without any furore, nice.
    Last edited by Ulsan Krow; 2022-09-28 at 05:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Having every spellcaster being able to change their spell list after a long rest is a very poor idea, cause it allows the option of overthinking things while playing any caster. There should be caster options with fixed spells. This way whatever effort you want to put into mechanics you mainly do that in character creation, and during the actual game you have a much more relaxed experience. You just do the best you can with what you've got, instead of being forced to think of a great number of possibilities by being able to swap your whole list. I find both options to be valid, and I dont get the value of getting rid of one, at least from a gameplay point of view.
    Hacks!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Having every spellcaster being able to change their spell list after a long rest is a very poor idea, cause it allows the option of overthinking things while playing any caster. There should be caster options with fixed spells. This way whatever effort you want to put into mechanics you mainly do that in character creation, and during the actual game you have a much more relaxed experience. You just do the best you can with what you've got, instead of being forced to think of a great number of possibilities by being able to swap your whole list. I find both options to be valid, and I dont get the value of getting rid of one, at least from a gameplay point of view.
    Honestly, the ability to change spells should be a major, class-defining feature. Just about everyone should be spells known IMO.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsan Krow View Post
    Ah, so the tried and true Fighter/Wizard/Rogue/Cleric class taxonomy after all. Interesting

Warriors

Fighter
    Barbarian
    Paladin?
    Monk?

Mage

Wizard
    Sorcerer
    Warlock

Expert

Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger
    Artificer

Priest

Cleric
    Druid
    Paladin?
    Monk?

I like this sort of stratum because you can emphasise some intramural class features - such as the god forsaken OOC utility discussion - without piddling concerns of classes erratically stepping on the toes of other class' features. Barbarian and Fighter can both be stronkmen without any furore, nice.
    10gp says Paladin and Monk will be Warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I do agree that if everyone is prepared it begs the question of why Sorcerer in the first place. Especially with them sharing even more of the Wizard list now.

At least we'll find out tomorrow. If the Bard is a prepared caster then we'll have reason to believe that's the goal for everyone and that's something we can push back on.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Just give them more feats. Boom, you have an extra one you can spend on Skill Expert, problem solved.

And that way, Rogue (who also gets more feats) can stay on top of the Expertise game where they belong.
    Out of curiosity, why?

Like Expertise is a new feature that isn’t even Rogue exclusive in 5e. In earlier editions, all skills increased at the same rate. Rogues didn’t just have better skills. They had more of them, no doubt, but no one is trying to take away the number of skills a Rogue has. So it’s not tradition.

In the stories that I think of as inspiring D&D of old and modern day fantasy as well, I can think of incredibly skillful characters that I wouldn’t classify as Rogues. The list would include plenty of warriors and mages that showed very high proficiencies in various skills. So it doesn’t seem to be fitting the fantasy.

And as far as balance goes. As long as two of the pillars of play are not combat and are decided by skill checks, it’s frankly kinda weird to set one class as the potential best for all of it. Especially when they can still contribute very well in the combat pillar.

It’s not really a flavorful ability either. It’s just a means of evening out the weird number limitations of bounded accuracy.

It just seems a strange piece of tech to hoard.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsan Krow View Post

Warriors

Fighter
    Barbarian
    Paladin?
    Monk?

Mage

Wizard
    Sorcerer
    Warlock

Expert

Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger
    Artificer

Priest

Cleric
    Druid
    Paladin?
    Monk?

If we discount artificer, we have enough classes to neatly slot 3 under each category. Paladin I assume is a warrior. Warlock I could see being a priest considering how often they seem to parallel cleric. I would make the argument that monk is a mage with a martial power source but I doubt they'll go that route.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

10gp says Paladin and Monk will be Warriors.

I do agree that if everyone is prepared it begs the question of why Sorcerer in the first place. Especially with them sharing even more of the Wizard list now.

At least we'll find out tomorrow. If the Bard is a prepared caster then we'll have reason to believe that's the goal for everyone and that's something we can push back on.
    If we discount artificer, we have enough classes to neatly slot 3 under each category. Paladin I assume is a warrior. Warlock I could see being a priest considering how often they seem to parallel cleric. I would make the argument that monk is a mage with a martial power source but I doubt they'll go that route.

Actually I think Monk Warrior, Paladin Priest.

Emphasising group similitude, Paladin's broader class group features would surely have more in common with the other priesty classes than the physical exemplars

Monk though it's mainly because mechanically Monk has always been so far removed from any semblance of a caster system, that and DnD's interpretation of a Monk is just one gallimaufry of dubious spirituality and not a super fleshed out connection with any religious institution or commune

Also, bah humbug you're right there's no 3/3/3/3 symmetry with the interspersion of the artificer.

I suppose they have to add the Warlord, Magus and Mystic now
    Last edited by Ulsan Krow; 2022-09-28 at 05:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Honestly, the ability to change spells should be a major, class-defining feature. Just about everyone should be spells known IMO.
    I think one reason for having more prepared casters may have a lot to do with how easy is to get a feeling of buyer's remorse when playing a caster.

Another reason is because not all spells are created equal. There are too many spells that are highly situational, and a game with very few prepared casters would make most such spells nearly useless (or rather the exclussive property of the one versatile caster that the game would keep).

I dont know if I see it as a class defining feature (because I have not thought too much about it to be honest, though feel free to elaborate), but I certainly find it to be a very defining feature to my enjoyment of the game. Being able to massivly change your spells presents kind of a challenge. This challenge is sometimes enjoyable and sometimes it's not. It's nice to be able to choose either while still playing a magical character.
    Hacks!