New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2237383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1470
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments IV - A Rich Source of Quotassium

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post
    OK, OK, we can make this work.

The Reformed Index of the Giant's Comments I - The Plantain Menace

The old index would ignore everything else and call itself the Orthodox Index of the Giant's Comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm going to say:

1) That the thread needs a vote on whether "the thread documents things Rich says that dispel someone's confusion and makes no judgment on whether that confusion was legitimate" or "the thread documents only things that cannot be derived from the comic" becomes a new thread rule, and one of them should be.
    One rule for the Orthodox thread, the other for the Reformed.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What if we just call it a Special Edition?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

Will the new index have CGI special effects and a trigger-happy Rodian?

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll throw in a free coffee maker

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see....title tally so far is....

• The Plantain Menace - 9
    • On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index - 6
    • The Giant Writes Back - 3
    • Banana Republic - 2

I guess that means...on a saner forum, we wouldn't think back that I was menacing a republic.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    (although to honor the original quote and I think it looks nicer, I wouldn't capitalize as much and would use "On a saner forum, we wouldn't need this Index".)
    I use title case for titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That the thread needs a vote on whether "the thread documents things Rich says that dispel someone's confusion and makes no judgment on whether that confusion was legitimate" or "the thread documents only things that cannot be derived from the comic" becomes a new thread rule, and one of them should be.
    If you get enough people to support the idea, sure; although as ORione noted the latter is only going to encourage lengthy debates over what constitutes "cannot be derived from the comic" since there would be a rule backing the importance of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    The pun itself is good, granted, but the V is a deal-breaker for me. It'd feel forced.
    You can certainly propose an alternative. Or maybe add a qualifier like "Thirty-Five Years Later" onto it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    One rule for the Orthodox thread, the other for the Reformed.
    Whoever you're expecting to curate the Reformed thread would be well-advised to do a "Common Questions Answered by the Comic" thread instead.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-02-19 at 10:33 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

What about "On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need the Plantain Menace"? (Otherwise my vote is unchanged but I'd settle for that instead :P)

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

How about "The Phantasm Menace"?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #1388

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    *gasp*

The Phantasm returns!

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello there! Welcome back to the Index, and to the Forum as a whole!

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

...it's gonna be really confusing if that one wins (And welcome back, long time no post-y!)

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks everyone for the welcome, and thanks jasdoif - you're doing a fantastic job with the index

i'm just passing through for now but i'm hopeful that in a few months i can return to regular posting. glad to see that so many familiar faces are still around
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #1392

After such a long absence, if you don't try to seduce Bruce Wayne while also exacting vengeance as a mysteries, Batman-esque, masked vigilante, i will be sorely disappointed.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

This whole long conversation about the tweets only reconfirms me in my position: if it is about the comic, and Rich says it, it does not matter if it is redundant with the comic itself, other quotes, or even contradictory of previous quotes, it should all be in. If it's not about the comic, it does not belong in.

I'm for the inclusion of the tweets. I was not confused, but given that people seem to have gained clarity from them, and they are about the comic, I feel they belong.

Of course, my view of the purpose of the index is not based in ease of use, but in exhaustive and rigorous documentation. But I recognize myself as part of a minority on that.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm changing my vote to Plantain Menace, seeing as it is beating the other banana puns.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I'm changing my vote to Plantain Menace, seeing as it is beating the other banana puns.
    The Index of the Giant's Comments V: Let's Be Honest, We Just Want a Banana Pun

(This is not actually my vote)
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Bugbear in the Playground

I vote for "On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index "
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome Back, ThePhantasm.

Add my support to Plantain Menace.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Colossus in the Playground

Fine, we'll just keep pushing toward fundamentally different goals until this thread turns into a snarl that eats us all. Don't say I didn't warn you when it happens.

Hi, ThePhantasm.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-02-20 at 02:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1399

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If you get enough people to support the idea, sure; although as ORione noted the latter is only going to encourage lengthy debates over what constitutes "cannot be derived from the comic" since there would be a rule backing the importance of the answer.
    Lengthy debates over what constitutes "cannot be derived from the comic" beats lengthy debates over "whether or not it can be derived from the comic is irrelevant." I support the idea.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Lengthy debates over what constitutes "cannot be derived from the comic" beats lengthy debates over "whether or not it can be derived from the comic is irrelevant." I support the idea.
    My main concern is that neither option seems really satisfying - including anything that confuses one person would make the Index too long, but excluding anything that 'can be derived from the comic' leads to a huge argument about whether it can be. I'd rather institute a rule that any new quotes must either:

A. Add information that is not in the comic itself, or
    B. Clarify a point on which there is substantial confusion, even if some were able to get it from the comic itself.

So if one person misreads something everyone else got from the comic and the Giant clarifies it, we don't need to clutter the Index with it, but if multiple people didn't get it from the comic, then it should be included, because then that's a trend. And what's more, that's much harder to make a matter of personal opinion/interpretation - while there may need to be some discussion about the number that constitutes "substantial confusion", people posting that they didn't get it is a much more objective measure.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2016-02-20 at 03:42 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    My main concern is that neither option seems really satisfying - including anything that confuses one person would make the Index too long, but excluding anything that 'can be derived from the comic' leads to a huge argument about whether it can be. I'd rather institute a rule that any new quotes must either:

B. Clarify a point on which there is substantial confusion, even if some were able to get it from the comic itself.

So if one person misreads something everyone else got from the comic and the Giant clarifies it, we don't need to clutter the Index with it, but if multiple people didn't get it from the comic, then it should be included, because then that's a trend. And what's more, that's much harder to make a matter of personal opinion/interpretation - while there may need to be some discussion about the number that constitutes "substantial confusion", people posting that they didn't get it is a much more objective measure.
    I'd be cool with a rule like this, although I wouldn't die on a hill to defend its institutionalization in this thread, either.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post

The thing is, under that rule we would probably have ended up including things like the post that basically just listed out the sequence of events in comic 1012. There was certainly confusion, but we decided that confusion did not need Word of Giant to dispel.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think adding a rule like this would only muddy the waters. It will be partly redundant and partly contradictory with some of the existing rules, thus leaving opportunities for folks to simply pick the rule that support their point best. We often have inconclusive debates: The way to fix that isn't to add more rules to try to tip the scales in favor of one type of conclusion. That won't convince anybody. When the debate is inconclusive, a vote is the appropriate way to close it.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

OK, let's see...next thread title....

• The Plantain Menace - 11
    • On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index - 7
    • The Giant Writes Back - 3
    • Banana Republic - 1

Am I really that menacing?

As for the two tweets....

At this rate, it could get in without the possibility of a vote being called on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    It seems those against inclusion feel that the evidence in the comic is clear enough, objective enough or simple enough to solve discussions.
    The fact that this index thread has been hosting a discussion about it for three entire pages seems to me to be evidence of the contrary.

I don't really care why. Maybe the people for inclusion are all idiots. Maybe they don't know how to read English. Maybe they are actively looking to undermine the Giants authority. Maybe it's all a conspiracy.
    To me, it doesn't matter:

If including this tweet can prevent this discussion from ever happening again, I think that's worth the cost. We should save mankind from such a thing. Let us learn lessons from what happened here, and say to ourselves: "Never again."

Now all together: "Never again."
    I'm...going to have to ask you to express your view on the quotes without resorting to conditional statements, before I can count it.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Actually, it was a Harry Potter joke, but the Discworld joke works, too.
    I was thinking of the recent phenomenon of "prestige" TV shows - The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men - breaking up their final season into two "half-seasons" for contractual reasons.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Am I really that menacing?
    No.
    Which is why am voting for the "Saner Forum" one, because I wish we were.

Also Star Wars jokes are extremely obtuse and that banana one specifically is very difficult for the non-English speakers (at least me).

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    [...] that banana one specifically is very difficult for the non-English speakers (at least me).
    I agree with this. I usually have a google translate tab open when checking the forum. And even then I miss some puns. This one in specific would be so meta that I think I wouldn't get if I didn't already knew what plantain means.

Also, the current title is the ultimate banana+giant comments pun. We should, regretably, drop the banana theme, unless someone creates a better pun.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The index V: Were running out of banana puns.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Also Star Wars jokes are extremely obtuse and that banana one specifically is very difficult for the non-English speakers (at least me).
    The Star Wars thing is debatable (personally, I love the theme), but getting the plantain joke has nothing to do with being a native English speaker. Plantain is the name for a fruit native to Spanish-speaking Latin American countries; speaking German or Japanese or Hindi doesn't make the joke any more or less difficult to get (although perhaps Americans see/eat more plantains than Europeans or Asians do).

Edit: Scratch the part about plantains being native to Latin America; apparently they're originally from Southeast Asia, Oceania, and West Africa (which seems kind of random, but whatever), although they're frequently cultivated in Latin America these days. If anything, though, that makes the reference easier to get, not harder.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2016-02-21 at 10:03 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

30. - Top - End - #1410

Huh. Today i learned, before it was deleted.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-02-21 at 10:37 PM.