New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

wink Whisper Gnomes are Officially my favorite Race!

Ok, so I was reading through "Races of Stone" and I was browsing through the Feats section when I found this:
    -Silencing Strike [Racial] -
    Req: Sneak attack and Whisper Gnome as Race
    Benefit: You get to apply your Silence effect on any target you strike with your sneak attack just by expending one of the uses. However, NO SAVE!

So I propose to you 2 things,
    1) Can anyone make me a decent "Mage-Slayer / SA" build with a Whisper Gnome and this feat? (Assuming the caster target isnt a Pun-Pun of chain gating..allow for sub-optimazation on the opponents part.)
    2) What is your favorite race? Do you combo a certain feat with that race ALL the time? For flavor? Build? (Ex. I always used to put Improv. Initiative on my Elfs, the Elf image is always Sleek and agile, I thought the feat fit)

-Best of luck, thank you in advance.
    Have fun :]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Whisper Gnomes are Officially my favorite Race!

I agree with you, Whisper Gnomes are AWESOME, sadly none of my DM has let me play one

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DuskEclipse View Post
    I agree with you, Whisper Gnomes are AWESOME, sadly none of my DM has let me play one
    That's likely because they're pretty cheesy.
    My favorite race, personally, is either half-elf or tiefling. Fun fun.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Nothing special for me, just the typical Dragonwrought Kobolds and Able Learner Humans, although now I usually pick Otherworldly if I go Elves
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    That's likely because they're pretty cheesy.
    My favorite race, personally, is either half-elf or tiefling. Fun fun.
    Maybe, but still they are awesome.... maybe If I put a LA+1 on them.... hmmm

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by DuskEclipse View Post
    Maybe, but still they are awesome.... maybe If I put a LA+1 on them.... hmmm
    LA+1 would make them suck.

7. - Top - End - #7

Elf, because they get Eternal Blade which just seems awesome to me.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think there's much to it if you want a build with that feat. Just do exactly that. Some sneaky sneaky to make sure you get the first hit is good. As is a good speed and tumble (use an accelerated tumble, see tumble rules), plus a good initiative for random fights.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The only acceptable LA=0 races in D&D are:

Human.
    Shield Dwarf.
    Whisper Gnome.
    Water Orc (Dragonborn optional).
    Strongheart Halfling.
    Lesser Tiefling.
    Warforged.

If you're not playing one of them, you're losing out!
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2009-12-08 at 08:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

What's wrong with Lesser Aasimar, Lesser Zenithri, or Lesser Chaond? And I hear Neraph is half-decent.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post

Human.
    Shield Dwarf.
    Whisper Gnome.
    Strongheart Halfling.
    Lesser Tiefling.

So the racial vairant Arctic Dwarf is no good?
    And who said lesser aasamir isn't good either?
    and even the Raptoran is awesome...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I am playing a whisper gnome warblade in a campaign right now. No silencing strike though.
    Last edited by Talya; 2009-12-08 at 08:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitarGod32 View Post
    So the racial vairant Arctic Dwarf is no good?
    And who said lesser aasamir isn't good either?
    and even the Raptoran is awesome...
    -4 Dex is a big old hit, even on straight melee builds, plus you lose out on stonecunning. I mean how often is icecunning going to come up? Alright for certain builds, I'd rather have a Shield Dwarf most of the time.

Lesser Aasamir is alright for certain builds... Generally I'd rather just have an extra feat though.

Raptoran is TERRIBLE

My fave races are Dwarf (Fluff), Human (Crunch) and Goliath (Because sometimes LA+1 is worth it... Not often though)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

14. - Top - End - #14

Human.
    Shield Dwarf.
    Whisper Gnome.
    Strongheart Halfling.
    Lesser Tiefling.

What about warforged? all their immunities make them quite good

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    What about warforged? all their immunities make them quite good
    Oops. That one should have been on the list, but I forgot it. Touche!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Human.
    Shield Dwarf.
    Whisper Gnome.
    Strongheart Halfling.
    Lesser Tiefling.
    Your missing a few. You also need Grey Elf (Sometimes +2 int>Feat and small size), Wood Elf (Archer builds, +2 Str and Dex) and Lesser Assamir (+2 Cha and Wisdom. Great for Clerics, Druids and the like)

Though..... I'm not really sure when you'd play a Sheild Dwarf.

My personal favorite race is Grey Elf.
    Last edited by aje8; 2009-12-08 at 08:38 PM.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aje8 View Post
    Your missing a few. You also need Grey Elf (Sometimes +2 int>Feat and small size), Wood Elf (Archer builds, +2 Str and Dex) and Lesser Assamir (+2 Cha and Wisdom. Great for Clerics, Druids and the like)

Though..... I'm not really sure when you'd play a Sheild Dwarf.
    Nope, I knew about the others and chose to not put them on the list. Grey Elves are unacceptable even if you ignore all of the fluff-based reasons to hate elves (of which there are plenty, trust me, I hate hate hate hate elves and readily admit to being completely, utterly, irrevocably biased when it comes to this) - the only reason I want an INT bonus is on a wizard or a skillmonkey, and the lesser tiefling gives me that AND the DEX bonus without a CON or a STR hit. Grey Elves pale in comparison to the tiefling - the only reason to even look twice at an elf is for Abjurant Champion builds, and even then gishes are subpar. Archer builds are terrible. And aasimar are goody two-shoes namby-pambies, which is admittedly a more minor gripe but still a reason to not play one. I very rarely play classes that require CHA or WIS - I'm all about skillmonkeys and arcanists.

Dwarves are awesome for anything: a bonus to a stat that all classes need and a penalty to one that few do? +2 to saves against spells? The ability to wear heavy armor and not be slowed down? A culture that is paradoxically based on a stoic adherence to tradition and hard work while still consuming more ale per capita than most small nations?

Being a dwarf is basically like being superhuman - you're much harder to kill, you're that much more awesome, and you generally don't have any restrictions placed on you for it.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2009-12-08 at 08:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I like the Dwarf, in almost all incarnations, but Shield is not on my list.

Earth Dwarf = funny
    Arctic Dwarf = Yeah, the -4 dex is a hit, but when being a Knight 6/ Deepstone Sentinal 5/Dwarven Defender whatever is a WALL, with a greataxe
    Uluundir (?) Dwarf = Yeah, 4la sux, but it is good for epic players.
    Dream Dwarf = Monk with big stone fists

anyways, PLZ post on my thread!!!

19. - Top - End - #19

Nope, I knew about the others and chose to not put them on the list. Grey Elves are unacceptable even if you ignore all of the fluff-based reasons to hate elves (of which there are plenty, trust me, I hate hate hate hate elves and readily admit to being completely, utterly, irrevocably biased when it comes to this) - the only reason I want an INT bonus is on a wizard, and the lesser tiefling gives me that without a CON or a STR hit. Archer builds are terrible. And aasimar are goody two-shoes namby-pambies, which is admittedly a more minor gripe but still a reason to not play one.

Dwarves are awesome for anything: a bonus to a stat that all classes need and a penalty to one that few do? +2 to saves against spells? The ability to wear heavy armor and not be slowed down?

Being a dwarf is basically like being superhuman - you're much harder to kill, you're that much more awesome, and you generally don't have any restrictions placed on you for it.
    Grey Elf: Fine, you're right. I'm just irrevocably biased towards Grey Elves.
    Archer Builds are terrible. But..... I've played a terrible build before. There are reasons to play a wood elf still.
    Your Assimir reason is simply ridiculous.

Everything you said about Dwarves is true. I reiterate: Why would I play one? Melee Build: Water Orc is better. Stealth Build: Whisper Gnome is WAY better. Wizard Build: Strongheart Halfling..... and then you don't really need more than 14 con so no real reason to play one. Cleric or Druid: Lesser Assimir. Or Human. But..... I don't really see why I would go dwarf in any of those cases. Is there a category of build I'm missing? Or is it basically just a decent but not the best option in all situations?
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

"Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aje8 View Post
    Grey Elf: Fine, you're right. I'm just irrevocably biased towards Grey Elves.
    Archer Builds are terrible. But..... I've played a terrible build before. There are reasons to play a wood elf still.
    Your Assimir reason is simply ridiculous.

Everything you said about Dwarves is true. I reiterate: Why would I play one? Melee Build: Water Orc is better. Stealth Build: Whisper Gnome is WAY better. Wizard Build: Strongheart Halfling..... and then you don't really need more than 14 con so no real reason to play one. Cleric or Druid: Lesser Assimir. Or Human. But..... I don't really see why I would go dwarf in any of those cases. Is there a category of build I'm missing? Or is it basically just a decent but not the best option in all situations?
    I am absolutely in the wrong about lesser aasimar, and yet I will still not put them on my list because it is *my* list, and I don't want to play a lesser aasimar. But if it makes you feel better, yes, I admit, they are mechanically sound.

Dwarves, yeah - they're not the best choice for much of anything, but they're never a bad choice - just like humans. When it comes to Wizards, I'd rather have a CON bonus than a DEX one - fort saves and HP are going to be much more valuable to me than AC (which is irrelevant), reflex saves (which a smart DM won't toss your way very often), and ranged attack modifier (with the exception of some rays, RTAs, and the like, every action you spend plinking away is a wasted one). I'm never content with "just" 14 CON - the more I can squeeze out of a build, the better. Dwarves are surprisingly good wizards, despite their supposd bias against it, because they're just so durable. It's not so much the CON (though that helps) as it is the +10% resistance to hostile magic.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2009-12-08 at 08:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

I am absolutely in the wrong about lesser aasimar, and yet I will still not put them on my list because it is *my* list, and I don't want to play a lesser aasimar. But if it makes you feel better, yes, I admit, they are mechanically sound.

Dwarves, yeah - they're not the best choice for much of anything, but they're never a bad choice - just like humans. When it comes to Wizards, I'd rather have a CON bonus than a DEX one - fort saves and HP are going to be much more valuable to me than AC (which is irrelevant), reflex saves (which a smart DM won't toss your way very often), and ranged attack modifier (with the exception of some rays, RTAs, and the like, every action you spend plinking away is a wasted one). I'm never content with "just" 14 CON - the more I can squeeze out of a build, the better. Dwarves are surprisingly good wizards, despite their supposd bias against it, because they're just so durable. It's not so much the CON (though that helps) as it is the +10% resistance to hostile magic.
    Yeah but as a recent study shows, feats are good!

Human and/or Strongheart Halfling>Dwarf almost always.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Can I throw in my defense of the dwarf?

Dwarves make excellent tanks. A Deepstone Sentinal with Dwarven Defender on a knight/cleric base is a great tank. Playing "HP Keep-up" and drawing attention to yourself via Knight's Challenge (which for the party's rogue means free cheap shot via flanking with a +4) is a great "Tank & Spank" combination

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Grey elf. Hit points are for sissies.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If you play an Aasimar as a *****, that's your own damn fault and no failing of the race itself. Charisma is nice for a rebuking build (that's another 1/7th of a persistent spell)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    If you play an Aasimar as a *****, that's your own damn fault and no failing of the race itself. Charisma is nice for a rebuking build (that's another 1/7th of a persistent spell)
    That point pretty much can also be applied to most elf hate.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Once again, Aasamir is good for divine characters

27. - Top - End - #27

I dunno, I am playing a Grey Elf Beguiler and I am glad I have that +1 Reflex from that +2 dex... As he is quite liberal with fireballs...
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    That point pretty much can also be applied to most elf hate.
    Eh, there's established history and an official sourcebook detailing "elves are *******". Much less fluff for aasimars; easier to overlook.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, there's established history and an official sourcebook detailing "elves are *******". Much less fluff for aasimars; easier to overlook.
    That and aasimar are mechanically sound, while elves are not. A CON malus should have resulted in the entire race going extinct by now, what with their extremely slow reproductive rate.

I, for one, fully support the inevitable disappearance of the elven race. We don't even need to hasten fate's hand - they shall destroy themselves with their own arrogance and isolationism.

30. - Top - End - #30

Human.
    Shield Dwarf.
    Whisper Gnome.
    Strongheart Halfling.
    Lesser Tiefling.
    Warforged.

Your list has a disturbing lack of Venerable Dragonwrought Desert Kobold.