New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: The Olympian Barcade and Restaurant

Kramolagh frowns at this point, retrieving several additional papers from within his coat. He sets them down upon the table before calmly passing them to Felandria, his expression quite grave. Each document appears to be a picture of a different patient, each in various states of decaying health.

"Children. Scarred by zhe radiation g-given off by zhe last mad cataclysm elsevhere in zhe N-Nexus."

"Men and Vhomen, too. Individuals vhith families, some very y-young, some zhe s-sole means of their family's survival."

"Zhese a-are only a few examples of zhe l-lives at stake. You are not l-looking at numbers and statistics, zhese are r-real people."

"Your decision will affect... everything."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Olympian Barcade and Restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Kramolagh frowns at this point, retrieving several additional papers from within his coat. He sets them down upon the table before calmly passing them to Felandria, his expression quite grave. Each document appears to be a picture of a different patient, each in various states of decaying health.

"Children. Scarred by zhe radiation g-given off by zhe last mad cataclysm elsevhere in zhe N-Nexus."

"Men and Vhomen, too. Individuals vhith families, some very y-young, some zhe s-sole means of their family's survival."

"Zhese a-are only a few examples of zhe l-lives at stake. You are not l-looking at numbers and statistics, zhese are r-real people."

"Your decision will affect... everything."
    Felandria looks at the pictures, but not for too long.

Obviously I want to help these people.

But you want to make them gods, without considering if any of them are capable of handling that kind of power, or are responsible enough to handle it.

Sir, you must understand, there is nothing more I desire than to one day join my father in the pantheon, but I would absolutely refuse to take a shortcut to get there.

Surely there must be a way to use this idea of yours to help these people without granting them limitless power?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Kramolagh grits his teeth before offering a small smile, clearing his throat. "It appears zhat you m-may have misunderstood zhe purpose of our project. Zhere vhill be n-no attempt to "transform" a mortal into a deific being, our research suggests zhat s-such a "transformation" is inherently unstable, it vhould not yield zhe r-results vhe seek."

"As I have s-said, zhe researchers dedicated to zhis p-project vhork daily to perfect zhe science of "divine-distillation", a complicated p-process vhich extracts and distills zhe d-divine essence within deific m-matter in order to create zhe purified essence of "divinity". Zhis material is replicated and r-recombined, eventually forming somezhing g-greater and whole."

"A vital but volatile essence brimming wizh potential. A sentient, liquid god."

--

He continues. "Vhe vould utilize zhe excretions f-from such a creation in order to cure zhese people. Not a shred of "divinity" vhould be passed along."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Felandria seems to relax after hearing Kramolagh’s explaination.

She brushes a couple of stray hairs offa her face and smiles.

Well then, if that is the case...

I’d be happy to help you.

Just tell me what you need, hair, blood?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Kramolagh nods solemnly before responding. "Hair vhould suffice, h-however, blood vhill likely be far easier to process."

"Vhat you are doing is very noble."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Felandria casually reaches behind her head and undoes her ponytail, nonchalantly dropping her hairband on the table in front of Kramolagh, there are several hairs tangled within it.

Here you go, if you have a jar or something, you may want to put that in there.

She shakes her head about a little, to get her hair loose and flowy.

Then she leans down and puts her arms on the table to get right near his face.

So listen, a couple of things.

Number one, I don’t want any of this nonsense where you try and claim that you own my essence or my bones or stuff because you patent my hair or anything.

And I expect to be kept updated on your doings.

And most of all.....

If I find out that you and your associates are doing evil things or are hurting people, or just generally lying to me to make another me or something......

I will destroy you, them, and your entire facility.

And I will take my sweet time with it.

Do we have an understanding?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

The gray-coated man retrieves a small mechanical device from his belt, grasping the hairband within the device before calling for several agents. A chilled box is produced, and the hairband is placed within its depths, before being locked by one of the operatives in the back.

Kramolagh rises at this point, reaching for his folder, allowing himself a wry grin.

"Of course, Ms. Felandria."

"We'll be in contact. I'd hate to be apart from a b-business associate as beautiful as you for very long."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

It sounds like the start of a joke: a catgirl and cyborg walk into a bar. Maybe it is, in a sense. Maybe this whole evening is going to be one big joke. Only time will tell, however. Oh, but speaking of jokes, Magtok is repulsed by how long it takes normal people to get from point A to point B. This whole voyage was absurd. Is this what life is always like for non-teleporters? The pickup truck had to navigate traffic, he had find parking near the airship docks, pay a ferry to bring Caelynn and himself to Skyside, and then he had to find a taxi to get to Felandria's restaurant. After this date is over we should probably just skydive our way back to Inside. Caelynn might not be too keen on an method of transportation that depends entirely on how well she can cling for dear life, but it'd be a hell of a lot faster than all of this nonsense was.

"Okay, we're here. Remind me to never take a taxi in this nightmare city again; that guy almost killed us like eleven times in six minutes. Oh, and keep an eye out for a giant redhead. If she doesn't show up that's fine too, though." Magtok isn't completely broke. He can still pay for dinner without begging Felandria for free food. In fact, he'd probably prefer things go that way. You can find money anywhere, but once sold, dignity isn't so easily replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    It sounds like the start of a joke: a catgirl and cyborg walk into a bar. Maybe it is, in a sense. Maybe this whole evening is going to be one big joke. Only time will tell, however. Oh, but speaking of jokes, Magtok is repulsed by how long it takes normal people to get from point A to point B. This whole voyage was absurd. Is this what life is always like for non-teleporters? The pickup truck had to navigate traffic, he had find parking near the airship docks, pay a ferry to bring Caelynn and himself to Skyside, and then he had to find a taxi to get to Felandria's restaurant. After this date is over we should probably just skydive our way back to Inside. Caelynn might not be too keen on an method of transportation that depends entirely on how well she can cling for dear life, but it'd be a hell of a lot faster than all of this nonsense was.

"Okay, we're here. Remind me to never take a taxi in this nightmare city again; that guy almost killed us like eleven times in six minutes. Oh, and keep an eye out for a giant redhead. If she doesn't show up that's fine too, though." Magtok isn't completely broke. He can still pay for dinner without begging Felandria for free food. In fact, he'd probably prefer things go that way. You can find money anywhere, but once sold, dignity isn't so easily replaced.
    The catgirl laughs at her companion’s utter disdain, leaning against his arm a little. ”Clearly you’ve never ridden in a taxi before. Rule number one of public transportation; anything’s better than a taxi.” With that sage remark, Caelynn steps forward to hold the door open for the pair. ”Do you want me to call her over if I do, or would you prefer I point her out and hide behind the menu to save you the embarrassment?” she half/teases. Not that she thought she was particularly embarrassing, but she figured Magtok probably has enormous th reminders of the past from her very presence without the risk of someone recognizing and commenting on her return. It wasn’t very likely, but Fel was a name even she recognized, and there’s no telling of that would be mutual.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #130

The cyborg rolls his eye and pulls an arm around Caelynn's waist as he step inside. "Pfft, I don't care who sees you. The Nexus has some new big controversial incident full of drama and fury every month. The whole world except maybe myself and Rein probably doesn't even remember your little fifteen minutes of infamy, and I'm not even a hundred percent certain about the cat. Trust me, if anyone looks in our direction, all they're going to see is Magtok, on a date, with yet another cute new catgirl who's waaaay out of his league. Practically a Nexus tradition," Magtok ends his sarcastic observations with a scoff, well aware of what his reputation with the catgirls was like a few years back, and may very well be to this day. Those rumors were completely blown out of proportion, if you ask me. He only dated...what, like three catgirls? One of them was his fiancee, the other was a personification of death who took on a vague approximation of his fiancee's form to try to seduce him, and the third was Caelynn, who came along after his reputation with catgirls had already solidified. That's not even half of all the women he's dated; he's not obsessed with them!

"If you see her, wave her over. I'll say 'Hi Fel, nice to see you. I like what you've done with the place. Big step up from when it was a MagDonald's. This is Caelynn, my latest catgirl paramour.' Then you laugh awkwardly and say hello while I keep prattling on about nothing in my usual style, while Fel feigns a smile for a moment or two to be polite before deciding she'd rather have nothing to do with us and walks off. We order dinner, have a few more drinks than we should, and then get kicked out for swearing up a storm about Reinholdt so loud that the families here with their kids can hear us." Wow, you've got this whole evening already all planned out, don't you, Magtok?
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

And as usually happens in these situations, Felandria walks up to the pair.

Magtok, I’m so glad you decided to check the place out.

How are you?

((I have forgotten how Fel and Caelynn have interacted in the past, if they have))

12. - Top - End - #132

Yeah! Let's not forget Happy, and... the other one. They definitely exist, I'm sure of it!

"Oh Magtok, you have such a way with words. Can't let me have some wishful thinking, can you?" Caelynn gives him a weary attempt at a smile, before wincing. "Sorry, that wasn't very good was it? It's... been a while since I flirted, I'm a little rusty, and was never that good in the first place either...." She admits, feeling a little foolish. Ugh, this was a terrible idea!

She ***** her head as another thought occurs to her though. "Yet another, huh? I don't think I ever heard of your other paramours... but I won't ask. We're here to drink our woes away about my own past mistakes, after all." Maybe not the best thing to comment as the owner in question approaches....

"Oh, hello! Fel, I take it?" Caelynn gives the unfamiliar woman a smile, but lets Magtok do the talking. He was better at it, and seemed to like the sound of his own voice far too much anyways.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

13. - Top - End - #133

"Hi Fel, nice to see you! I like what you've done with the place. Big step up from when it was a MagDonald's. This is Caelynn, my fiancée," Magtok introduces, changing the script just enough to hopefully startle the catgirl and give him something to laugh about. I mean, she'd better be at least a little unprepared for that comment. If she doesn't so much as bat an eye at that declaration, we might have bigger problems than we thought.

"I'm kidding. Kidding! Don't punch me, we're not marrying, s'just a date. Felandria, before you go back to restauranting or running VIGIL or being mayor of HALO or whatever you do these days, I was hoping I could ask for a favor. Money's been a little tight, and I may have had a few Magbot revolts recently, the MagCave exploded, a Nazi stole my last paycheck, and most of my credit cards aren't working. I don't want to make Caelynn pay for dinner, do you think you could..." It should be so easy to finish that sentence. Just say 'do you think we could eat free' or even 'do you think you could offer us a discount for being friends' if free is too much for your ego to stomach. Magtok can't quite get the words out, though. He wants to, he doesn't like spending more of his limited funds than he absolutely has to, but he can't quite seem to speak, he can't bring himself to swallow his pride and directly ask anyone for help. Not even for something as small as this.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Yeah! Let's not forget Happy, and... the other one. They definitely exist, I'm sure of it!

"Oh Magtok, you have such a way with words. Can't let me have some wishful thinking, can you?" Caelynn gives him a weary attempt at a smile, before wincing. "Sorry, that wasn't very good was it? It's... been a while since I flirted, I'm a little rusty, and was never that good in the first place either...." She admits, feeling a little foolish. Ugh, this was a terrible idea!

She ***** her head as another thought occurs to her though. "Yet another, huh? I don't think I ever heard of your other paramours... but I won't ask. We're here to drink our woes away about my own past mistakes, after all." Maybe not the best thing to comment as the owner in question approaches....

"Oh, hello! Fel, I take it?" Caelynn gives the unfamiliar woman a smile, but lets Magtok do the talking. He was better at it, and seemed to like the sound of his own voice far too much anyways.
    "Hi Fel, nice to see you! I like what you've done with the place. Big step up from when it was a MagDonald's. This is Caelynn, my fiancée," Magtok introduces, changing the script just enough to hopefully startle the catgirl and give him something to laugh about. I mean, she'd better be at least a little unprepared for that comment. If she doesn't so much as bat an eye at that declaration, we might have bigger problems than we thought.

"I'm kidding. Kidding! Don't punch me, we're not marrying, s'just a date. Felandria, before you go back to restauranting or running VIGIL or being mayor of HALO or whatever you do these days, I was hoping I could ask for a favor. Money's been a little tight, and I may have had a few Magbot revolts recently, the MagCave exploded, a Nazi stole my last paycheck, and most of my credit cards aren't working. I don't want to make Caelynn pay for dinner, do you think you could..." It should be so easy to finish that sentence. Just say 'do you think we could eat free' or even 'do you think you could offer us a discount for being friends' if free is too much for your ego to stomach. Magtok can't quite get the words out, though. He wants to, he doesn't like spending more of his limited funds than he absolutely has to, but he can't quite seem to speak, he can't bring himself to swallow his pride and directly ask anyone for help. Not even for something as small as this.
    Fel leans down to greet Caelynn and perhaps give a friendly hug.

Hi, Caelynn.

How are you this evening?

This one isn’t giving you too much trouble, I hope.

She turns to Magtok.

Magtok, you know darn well your money’s no good here.

Come, I’ll show you to the second nicest booth in the place.

Only because the nicest is my size and I don’t want you having any trouble reaching for the salt.

She hands them each a coin purse full of game tokens, they are octagonal and have Fel’s face on them.

What are you two drinking tonight?

15. - Top - End - #135

Caelynn looks a little shocked as the giantess gives her a hug, and who can blame her! Stranger plus stronk giant woman hug - wait did he say Fiance? W-wha- the flustered catgirl stammers out, looking back at Magtok in befuddled astonishment.

But then he admits he is, in fact, joking. "Oh thank god. its a little fast for that, even for me. Caelynn attempts to joke at her expense, trying to recover her composure. She quirks her eyebrow as she peers at the tokens, but doesn't question, following the two to the booth. If Magtok trusted Fel, it was only fair to trust her. "A rum and coke, maybe?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Magtok suppresses the urge to say 'I'll take the coke, she can have the rum.' It'd be a really stupid joke, and there's a chance Felandria would actually call his bluff and come back with a coke on one side of the table and a bottle of rum on the other. No, he just looks over the drink menu, frowns for whatever unknowable reason, and then gives a small shrug. Whatever it was that bugged him, it must not be that big of a deal.

"I'll have...hold on, you have Magaritas here?" the cyborg raises his eyebrow, too amused by the idea of drinking a beverage with his name on it to care about how arrogant and egocentric it sounds to do that. Honestly, this is what we've been hoping to find ever since we came back to the Nexus, as stupid as that sounds. Some recognition, some acknowledgement of his existence in the Nexus, something built in his honor that he didn't put there himself. Yeah, let's go for it.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-09-26 at 12:23 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

You bet, it’s the least I could do.

One Magarita and one Rumholdt and Coke coming up!

Fel successfully delivers Magtok and Caelynn to their swanky booth, there is already a big basket of fresh, nummy garlic bread in the center of the table, as well as their drinks and two menus.

Here we are.

I’ll let you look at the menu.

Felandria gently drifts away from the table to give them their privacy while they decide on foods.

18. - Top - End - #138

Spoiler: Other posts
    Show
    Magtok suppresses the urge to say 'I'll take the coke, she can have the rum.' It'd be a really stupid joke, and there's a chance Felandria would actually call his bluff and come back with a coke on one side of the table and a bottle of rum on the other. No, he just looks over the drink menu, frowns for whatever unknowable reason, and then gives a small shrug. Whatever it was that bugged him, it must not be that big of a deal.

"I'll have...hold on, you have Magaritas here?" the cyborg raises his eyebrow, too amused by the idea of drinking a beverage with his name on it to care about how arrogant and egocentric it sounds to do that. Honestly, this is what we've been hoping to find ever since we came back to the Nexus, as stupid as that sounds. Some recognition, some acknowledgement of his existence in the Nexus, something built in his honor that he didn't put there himself. Yeah, let's go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    You bet, it’s the least I could do.

One Magarita and one Rumholdt and Coke coming up!

Fel successfully delivers Magtok and Caelynn to their swanky booth, there is already a big basket of fresh, nummy garlic bread in the center of the table, as well as their drinks and two menus.

Here we are.

I’ll let you look at the menu.

Felandria gently drifts away from the table to give them their privacy while they decide on foods.

Caelynn can't help but giggle at her date companion's request. "Oh Magtok, you certainly haven't changed much~" she jests, hanging off of his arm a little as the duo is lead to the booth... only to turn absolutely ashen as their host reads out the menu name of her own order. Oh god, of course it had to be like that. The universe did seem to enjoy playing its cruel little jokes on her, after all. "E-er, maybe-" Too late, the drinks are already there! she can't go back on her order! Oh no, this was not how she wanted things to kick off at all.

As the two sit down, Caelynn immediately snags a piece of that delicious appetizer before blushing at her lack of manners, peering at the menu. "Man, I can't remember the last time I went on a night out like this..." She remarks. They did not have space-tinder where she had spent those last seventeen-odd years.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #139

"You want to trade drinks, maybe? I'll deal with Rumholdt while you take on a cocktail named after someone slightly less awful? We both agree to act like very normal and mature adults and not make any jokes at the other's expense about have a Mag- or a -holdt inside of us?" Magtok had to bite down on the urge to snicker at Caelynn when the Rumholdt first showed up. This kind of drink nonsense is exactly the sort of cruel cosmic irony he's grown used to over the years, but the poor girl's probably not so accustomed to such poetry and sadism. Laughing probably would've actually hurt her.

"Also, did you take some kind of vow of abstinence in the last twenty years, Caelynn?" the cyborg asks, eyebrow aloft. "Raised Alexis on a planet of flawless supermodels where everyone was out of your league, or somewhere catgirls are thought of as hideous space monsters or something? An isolated ruined city where the two of you were the only living people around for miles? She didn't have any friends with attractive single dads, you didn't know any fine gentlemen from work? I'm sorry, it's just... even with a teenage daughter, I'm struggling to see how I'm the first guy in apparently forever to take Alexis's hot mom out for dinner and drinks. I don't see how you could've gone a week without guys lining up at your door to take you out on nights out a thousand times better than this one." Well Magtok, you have to keep in mind, most people aren't you. They can't just stand around and wait for someone to make a new sexy robot space goddess snakegirl character with an inexplicable lust for villainous cyborgs; they have to actually put some effort into seeking out potential suitors. Obviously Caelynn thought that kind of effort was better spent raising her daughter than getting into even more drama caused by romantic entanglements.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #140

"Well, if you think you can live with that, I'm more than happy to trade." Caelynn slides her own drink over with a playful smirk, her expression warming back to tired cheer. Maybe a little less tired-looking, actually - she was definitely starting to relax, forget her troubles just a little. She was mainly worried that the drink would make the whole thing awkward by bringing back unpleasant memories... but Magtok didn't seem too perturbed by it, so why should she?

"Heh, no, I'm afraid I don't have any excuses nearly as good as those. Taking a moment to sip her drink before continuing, she sets it down gently. I was just... well, busy. I ended up having to learn a whole new profession, medicine to be exact, and once that was done I had to juggle watching after Alexis while managing a small little clinic all on my own, which never gave me much rest. Didn't help that running a small little organization like that is a bit of a chore, even when you get around to hiring a couple folks to help out." It was a simple explanation, boring and mundane, but it was true. There hadn't been much excitement in Caelynn's life since she left, just a lot of work.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #141

"An entire clinic? Wow, way to go, Doctor Mom Of the Year." Magtok sounds genuinely impressed, or at the very least, surprised. The idea of Caelynn in a position of authority, making decisions and accomplishing things all on her own, it sounds positively unreal, given the clueless, reckless young woman we once knew. In fact, it's such a surprise that the thought is almost enough to distract us from the nightmare that is ingesting a drink with the cat's name on it. Almost. Blegh, we are definitely getting something else as soon as this glass is empty.

"Yeah, I haven't really accomplished much myself lately. At some point the MagCollective got this great idea to just leave the Nexus and its stupid problems behind, and go hunt after Calublufiok and Rein Prime out in space and other dimensions. Escape from all the problems back home and preemptively save a world or two, y'know? We never found either of them, and looking all over has gotten kinda boring over the last few years, which I think is why I was finally given the MagCave rebuilding mission. They're not ready to give up and admit trying to track two people across all of infinity was a stupid idea yet, but soon, I'm sure. You can only do the same thing for so long before it gets to feeling like trying to knock down a brick wall with your forehead." Some people can excel at that sort of thing, certainly, but not our cyborg.

"Do you know what you're getting? I was just going to order a steak, I think," Mag says, peering at the menu. There's some mention of meat on a spit and also pita bread on here, but maybe we can try that some other time, when we're not an hour or so away from terrible decisions and fire.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

22. - Top - End - #142

"An entire clinic? Wow, way to go, Doctor Mom Of the Year." Magtok sounds genuinely impressed, or at the very least, surprised. The idea of Caelynn in a position of authority, making decisions and accomplishing things all on her own, it sounds positively unreal, given the clueless, reckless young woman we once knew. In fact, it's such a surprise that the thought is almost enough to distract us from the nightmare that is ingesting a drink with the cat's name on it. Almost. Blegh, we are definitely getting something else as soon as this glass is empty.

"Yeah, I haven't really accomplished much myself lately. At some point the MagCollective got this great idea to just leave the Nexus and its stupid problems behind, and go hunt after Calublufiok and Rein Prime out in space and other dimensions. Escape from all the problems back home and preemptively save a world or two, y'know? We never found either of them, and looking all over has gotten kinda boring over the last few years, which I think is why I was finally given the MagCave rebuilding mission. They're not ready to give up and admit trying to track two people across all of infinity was a stupid idea yet, but soon, I'm sure. You can only do the same thing for so long before it gets to feeling like trying to knock down a brick wall with your forehead." Some people can excel at that sort of thing, certainly, but not our cyborg.

"Do you know what you're getting? I was just going to order a steak, I think," Mag says, peering at the menu. There's some mention of meat on a spit and also pita bread on here, but maybe we can try that some other time, when we're not an hour or so away from terrible decisions and fire.
    Caelynn blushes a little at the compliment, taking the opportunity to sip from the drink Magtok had ordered. She wasn't nearly as troubled by the concoction as her partner happened to be from his - perhaps a little sour for her tastes, but she didn't mind the bitterness. Why, she can see the resemblance between it and the namesake already! "Yeah, it was an ordeal. I guess having a kid was just what I needed to get my **** together." Nothing like a life-changing and slightly traumatic event, complete with a heap of newfound responsibility, to make you realize just how completely you've been spinning in the wind with no thoughts about the future.

She idly stirs the umbrella in her drink - it's a Mag-drink, of course there's an umbrella! - as she listens to Magtok's own tale. Interesting, even if it might not have borne any fruit, at least. "Well, I'm sure there must have been some excitement in all of that? Other planets, strange new worlds...?" Sure, there's a bizarre amount of planets that are just like earth but with ruled over by geese or some other minor difference, but every now and again you come across the truly unique places, like that one world where people can only survive by wearing mauve and subsist off of hunting large colonies of sentient fungi.

"Hm, I'm kinda tempted to order the caramelized salmon, though the steak does look good now that you mention it...." The catgirl muses, peering back at the menu.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

"Some excitement, sure. A few Magtoks going rogue, though. Bunch of weirdos split off a few years back and ran away to start a little paramilitary group in Riverside. Some of the clones went native and got too attached to whatever world they were stationed on, and then there was this one planet where we found a Reinholdt, but it wasn't the Prime Reinholdt, so it just sorta..." Magtok trails off there, scowling at his drink. He pauses to take another sip, glaring at the beverage as he does so, as if he could blame it all on this stupid rum and coke or something. Man, he's had an awful lot of that rum already, and they haven't even gotten started on dinner yet.

"So have you thought at all about how long you plan to stay here? In the Nexus, I mean. Just long enough to make sure Alexis isn't setting herself on fire and then back to the clinic, or are you officially, genuinely, definitely returned and here to stay?" Magtok doesn't say so, but he knows this place has a tendency to grab people and not let go. Caelynn might not be able to leave even if she wants to. "I know you mentioned a hotel room earlier, and those are kinda expensive. I could offer you a guestroom in the MagCave, y'know, just to keep the hotel people from draining your wallet dry while you look for something more permanent, but I'd have to actually find a guestroom, clean it, and shoo away any robot spider demons living there first. Might take a little while. I'm still parking the pickup truck in front of my bedroom door to keep the monsters out." Oh man, the MagCave is just a disaster right now; don't even think of taking him up on that offer, Caelynn. You'd probably be safer sleeping in an alleyway in Skyside than you would in the MagCave. The place needs a lot of work done. I mean, Magtok is still afraid of it. Magtok, whose name and face is engraved in the memory of every creature great and small within that subterranean fortress as their lord and master. What hope could there be for some catgirl, who might get detected as a hostile intruder by the decrepit security forces?
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

24. - Top - End - #144

"You know, I haven't really thought about it yet." Caelynn frowns as she mulls over the idea, imbibing a little more of her Magarita. Magtok wasn't the only one drinking a little faster than he probably should, she idly considered. Then again, it was to be expected - she was always a little prone to drinking. It was especially true when it came to mixed drinks that made it easier to forget it was there, which was kind of why she had ordered a rum and coke in the first place. Stupid cat. "I mean, I really just meant to poke my head in and check on things... but maybe it would be better to make my stay more permanent. I mean, it's not like my life has been the most fruitful or fulfilling outside of my career advancements, and it might help ease my worries to know Alexis isn't so far away... and to be honest, just being here is starting to remind me of the things I liked about this place." Present company in particular, although Alexis wasn't quite ready to admit it.

The offer Magtok made drew a raise of eyebrows from the catgirl, her feline ears perking up just a little bit. "...You'd be willing to do that for me? I'm... kind of flattered, to be honest. I'm not sure how much help I could be in return, it's been so long since I swung at a punching bag, let alone actually fought something, but I guess I could patch you up if those robot spider demons get a hit in at least." She punctuates it with a teasing little smile. Surely the great Lord Magtok wouldn't let a lowly construct land a scratch on him, right?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #145

"It's no big deal, really. The place was built to house all of me at once, and now I'm the only Magtok around. I'm going to have a lot of empty rooms for a while. I'm sure I can find at least one bedroom that isn't on the patrol route of that haywire man-eating cyberhorse." Magtok turns a little pale when he mentions the four-legged beast. I guess that's not something he made up just now, then. How dangerous could a mere cyberhorse be, though? Wait, how does he know it's a man-eating cyberhorse? Was it supposed to eat people when he designed it? Has he seen the horse himself, or did he send a dozen NPCs into the ruins offscreen, only for less than three of them to report back, screaming uncontrollably and covered in blood?

"Also, maybe I'm just a cynical jerk, but-" Magtok starts, before shaking his head and taking another swig of his drink. "...no, no, that's exactly it. I'm just a cynical jerk. To get back to what I was going to say, though, what's there to actually like about the Nexus? Honest, serious question. Please tell me, what do we have down here that I've been taking for granted all this time? Gods know I've tried to like this place, but the cynic and the pessimist in me just bury those things in their usual hateful nonsense." Magtok can't manage even an ounce of positivity when it comes to talking about his homeland, but maybe Caelynn's outside perspective can help him remember how to not hate everything, even if only for just a moment.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #146

"Hm, well, let's see...." Caelynn muses, leaning against her hand as she looks off with a thoughtful expression. "The general nature of it, really; everything feels a lot less intrusive here, there's a lot less red tape, and there's so much variety. Things don't feel nearly as... mundane. I mean sure, there's some level of monotony, but not in the same way, y'know?" The catgirl trails off a little there, halting her search for the right turn of phrase to look back towards Magtok in an attempt to tell whether the point had gotten across. But after a second, another addition occurs to her.

"And besides, there's a couple rather fascinating individuals here too." Caelynn punctuates her sentence with a meaningful gaze, a fond smile forming on her lips.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #147

There's a pain in the smile Magtok offers back, a sort of wistful look in his eyes that betrays all the drama and war and conflict and tragedy he's been through. This melancholy isn't permitted to make itself known for very long, however, as he quickly drowns it in more alcohol, burying his problems under increasingly large quantities of rum.

"So...Caelynn. Doctor Caelynn. Miss Doctor Caelynn Turath," he starts, toying around with her name. She hasn't actually mentioned whether or not she has a doctorate to go with that clinic, but she didn't object when he called her a doctor either. Could go either way, really. Not that it really matters. Mag's probably just buying time while he tries to remember what he was going to say, rather than taking a strange fascination with whether or not she has a license to practice medicine.

"I know I said this was 'just dinner' earlier, back at the mall, but...I don't really have anything planned for myself after dinner. The MagCave gets too cold and dark this time of night for me to go around fixing stuff, and even if it didn't, that's when a lot of the nastier creatures come out of hiding. Needs is usually too busy around this time of night with weird magic stuff to discuss the reconstruction project. A lot of the big evil plans I'm working on depend on some other stuff outside of my control to happen first, and until I formally reintroduce myself to Mallside's staff as MagMart's new owner, I'm not allowed to sneak back into Mallside and mess around with the MagCave's inventory after closing time," Magtok explains, listing off all the things he could be doing instead of spending more time with Caelynn, if only outside circumstances weren't preventing him from doing so. I think the implication is that these important tasks are also things he would ultimately prefer to be doing, but alas, he has no choice. He has been cursed with an abundance of free time, and no one else to spend it with but Caelynn.

"Do you think we could maybe speed through dinner, head back to Inside, and check out your hotel room? Just to make sure it's safe, of course. Oh right, I forgot to mention, Caelynn? A lot of hotels in that area use really cheap mattress springs which aren't great for your back. Maybe a quarter of the rooms are fine, but the rest are all super cheap garbage and they charge you the same price if you don't say anything. I can have a look and tell the hotel management to get you a better room, if you'd like. It's not easy to identify if you don't know what you're looking for, but I spent a few years studying mattressology and got a B.S. at the University of Caelynn He's Obviously Lying To You, so I know what I'm talking about," Magtok insists, with a completely straight face, with such dedication to his nonsensical lie that you could actually almost believe there's a university with that ridiculous name in the Nexus somewhere.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2018-10-12 at 01:22 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #148

A soft glimmer of concern emerges in Caelynn's expression as she catches sight of that wistful look... but takes the way he just downed all that alcohol as a hint not to inquire further. It can wait for a better time; right now, it seems Magtok wants to push all that out of his mind and think about other things.

So instead, of talking, Caelynn listens, idly stirring her half-finished drink as the cyborg embellishes her new title... and then goes on to ramble about how there's nothing on his plate tonight - figuratively speaking, of course - and how he's a little concerned about the status of her accommodations; just wanting to make sure she's sleeping well, you see, and most definitely not giving the verbal equivalent of a wink and a nudge as he does so. Just like how the older catgirl's fond smile certainly doesn't widen as a light blush emerges, and how her violet eyes absolutely don't stare back at him with an affectionate little twinkle to them.

"Oh, Magtok, that sounds positively lovely." She replies with a knowing smile, reaching out to squeeze his hand. She didn't need to rattle off a list of all the reasons why she had nothing else to do tonight, didn't need to talk about how she was on vacation for the week or that she wasn't planning on visiting anyone else anyways... because from the way she looks back at him, it's undeniable that she would have found a way to cancel all those obligations in a heartbeat.

- - -

"And then - and then, I swear to god," a considerably more intoxicated Caelynn raises a finger, biting back a laugh. "the patient goes, 'well, come teh think aboot it, ah did 'ave a six-pack last thursd'y'!" the catgirl bursts into laughter, steadying herself before finishing off her glass of bourbon and setting it down beside her picked-clean plate. "...well, I don't suppose you'd like to skip dessert, would you?" She asks, looking back at Magtok with a slightly tipsy smirk.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #149

The cyborg finishes off the last of his Magarita (you didn't really think he'd stick with a Rumholdt and Coke the whole night, did you?) and shakes his head. "No, no we've had enough. Should really save something for the paying customers, right?" he winks. Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the cyborg wink before. I really hope he doesn't make a habit of it, that was kinda weird. He looks so much better when he's not smiling or happy or comfortable with anything going on around him.

"Felandria's too nice. We should do this again when I have money, maybe," Mag suggests, sliding out of the booth and reaching out towards his date, to walk out with an arm around her side. Apparently he's so far gone he doesn't even seem to realize he's suggesting Caelynn and this quasi-relationship thing might still be around by the time the MagCave's up and running, which will probably take a while. Or maybe he's turned around on the one-night-stand idea, and recognizes how alone and bitter and abrasive he can be when he's all on his own, and that keeping Caelynn close could be good for the both of them. Probably that first thing, though. I mean, he's had a lot to drink tonight for someone who only has half as much blood as the average human being his size. Maybe his robo-liver can compensate for that, maybe not, I don't know.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #150

Caelynn bursts into giggling as Magtok winks at her, mostly at the terrible joke but partly from the realization that the cyborg just winked at her. She'd never seen him do that before. For some reason she found that hilarious. Probably thanks to the alcohol.

"Oh, I'd love to!" Slipping out of the booth and gladly letting her companion wrap an arm around her side, the slightly shorter woman smiles up at him, leaning against him and all too happy to follow him out. Were she more sober, Caelynn probably would have caught the implications of that comment. She still wouldn't have brought it up or questioned what he meant exactly, but she would have certainly looked a lot more shocked. To tipsy catgirl Caelynn however, it just meant Magtok liked spending time with her. Surely it didn't mean anything more than that, right?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show