New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default A bottle through time...

Spoiler
    Show

So, being ever so obsessed with my mortality I started to worry what would happen if I died (a real possibility) before my soon-to-be child was able to remember me. So I got the above idea: A time capsule to my daughter/son. A personal message telling it I was more than a donor, and that I loved it. Put in a pretty decorative bottle, so the mothers could even display it if they liked.

So, anyone else done something similar in their lives? Have your own letter in a safety deposit box for someone special maybe? Any other nifty ideas like this (well, I'd like to think of it as nifty...) you'd like to share?

ps. It's packed and labeled, ready to ship to the mothers.
    Last edited by Pika...; 2011-05-25 at 03:48 AM.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A bottle through time...

Wow, that's such a sweet idea

Receiving a message from beyond the grave is an incredible feeling. When my grandmother died (on a vacation), two days went by, and suddenly I got a postcard from her, just a "I'm having a good time, looking forward to see you" type of thing. Knowing she'd thought about me and done something like that - even if a card might seem insignificant and small - it was so heartbreaking and incredible.
    I know it's not the same, but it's just... I think your idea is wonderful, even if I hope it won't actually be necessary.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

That's an interesting and sweet idea. From your post I take it you're a sperm donor to a lesbian couple who are fine with you visiting the child?

I had gotten one such small letter from a granduncle of mine, who baptized me as a baby. It didn't say much to me specifically, but I found it did have some value in it because he was such a considerate man. Wouldn't do it as quickly myself since it makes me feel like I'd focus on the possibility of dying before my time, but I can see myself doing so if it seemed fitting. Heck, you could of course still show the letter even if you don't die before they're able to talk or write to you, show the other person how much they mean to you.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-05-25 at 08:07 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wow, that's such a sweet idea

Receiving a message from beyond the grave is an incredible feeling. When my grandmother died (on a vacation), two days went by, and suddenly I got a postcard from her, just a "I'm having a good time, looking forward to see you" type of thing. Knowing she'd thought about me and done something like that - even if a card might seem insignificant and small - it was so heartbreaking and incredible.
    I know it's not the same, but it's just... I think your idea is wonderful, even if I hope it won't actually be necessary.
    Wow, just wow. That's an intense story. I hope it gave you some closure as well.

I guess that is what I ant it to have as well. Some closure, and to answer some of the questions it might have.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    That's an interesting and sweet idea. From your post I take it you're a sperm donor to a lesbian couple who are fine with you visiting the child?

I had gotten one such small letter from a granduncle of mine, who baptized me as a baby. It didn't say much to me specifically, but I found it did have some value in it because he was such a considerate man. Wouldn't do it as quickly myself since it makes me feel like I'd focus on the possibility of dying before my time, but I can see myself doing so if it seemed fitting. Heck, you could of course still show the letter even if you don't die before they're able to talk or write to you, show the other person how much they mean to you.
    Pretty much.

And I thought of that, but I'll leave that to the carrier's discretion. She will be the "caretaker" of my message to the future if you will.

And I think a lot about my mortality. Might not be a good thing, but eh. :/
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

10/10, Pika... Would read again.

A sense of closure is truly a thing to treasure. Unfortunately, I never had such a benefit--but I truly, sincerely wish I did. I must ask, though--why do you think so much about mortality? I mean, you sound like you're young enough [at least, you should be if you're capable of donating sperm]--shouldn't you be more concerned with living than with dying?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

that sounds awesome
    you are amazing Pika.. and i truly wish you all the best
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post
    ps. It's packed and labeled, ready to ship to the mothers.
    Have you talked with them about this? I would highly recommend talking with them before you commit to this.

Other than that....I don't post so often any more, but here I am on one my very rare jaunts into the forum and I find a Pika thread; how could I not look into it? You are a very fascinating character, Pika, but you cause me as much concern as I believe I can feel for a complete stranger on an internet forum. With each Pika post I read, the impression is only made stronger that you seem to be motivated primarily, if not solely, by an unhealthy focus on your own mortality. I find myself thinking, "Surely someone close to him has already told him this?" But then I read another Pika post and I realize that if they have, it has clearly not stuck. And then I come to many of your threads and find Playgrounders encouraging such a mindset! While I've no doubt they have good intentions at heart, I am taken somewhat aback by the blind encouragement that I have frequently witnessed and I am each time reminded that good intentions frequently pave only one path.

Pika, you need to focus less on the how, when, and even the fact that you will die and more on the life that is occurring now. If you would like your offspring to have a relationship with you or if you would one day like to beget offspring of your very own, you need to change your mindset from one that is centered on death to one that lives in and is motivated by life. The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead. All matters of philosophy aside, for the sake of your own health, both mental and physical and for the goal of a having a good relationship with your offspring, you must change your mindset. I don't expect my words to have any weight with you Pika, because I am but a post on a forum, but you come to the Playground so often seeking validation and confirmation of your actions, and consequently your mindset, which all too often good hearted but misguided Playgrounders provide; and I cannot abide it. For you own sake, Pika, stop focusing on death, it will destroy you. Just realize that you cannot count on the world to change, but you can control change within yourself. Goodbye for now Pika, and good luck, I hope that the next Pika thread shows a happy and healthy Pika and I will leave you with a quote from one the greatest Existential authors:
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Camus
    It's no use reminding yourself daily that you are mortal: it will be brought home to you soon enough.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you talked with them about this? I would highly recommend talking with them before you commit to this.

Other than that....I don't post so often any more, but here I am on one my very rare jaunts into the forum and I find a Pika thread; how could I not look into it? You are a very fascinating character, Pika, but you cause me as much concern as I believe I can feel for a complete stranger on an internet forum. With each Pika post I read, the impression is only made stronger that you seem to be motivated primarily, if not solely, by an unhealthy focus on your own mortality. I find myself thinking, "Surely someone close to him has already told him this?" But then I read another Pika post and I realize that if they have, it has clearly not stuck. And then I come to many of your threads and find Playgrounders encouraging such a mindset! While I've no doubt they have good intentions at heart, I am taken somewhat aback by the blind encouragement that I have frequently witnessed and I am each time reminded that good intentions frequently pave only one path.

Pika, you need to focus less on the how, when, and even the fact that you will die and more on the life that is occurring now. If you would like your offspring to have a relationship with you or if you would one day like to beget offspring of your very own, you need to change your mindset from one that is centered on death to one that lives in and is motivated by life. The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead. All matters of philosophy aside, for the sake of your own health, both mental and physical and for the goal of a having a good relationship with your offspring, you must change your mindset. I don't expect my words to have any weight with you Pika, because I am but a post on a forum, but you come to the Playground so often seeking validation and confirmation of your actions, and consequently your mindset, which all too often good hearted but misguided Playgrounders provide; and I cannot abide it. For you own sake, Pika, stop focusing on death, it will destroy you. Just realize that you cannot count on the world to change, but you can control change within yourself. Goodbye for now Pika, and good luck, I hope that the next Pika thread shows a happy and healthy Pika and I will leave you with a quote from one the greatest Existential authors:
    He's right.
    Last edited by LCR; 2011-05-29 at 12:53 PM.
    I think the phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'.

Lord Flashheart by Kalirush

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    10/10, Pika... Would read again.

A sense of closure is truly a thing to treasure. Unfortunately, I never had such a benefit--but I truly, sincerely wish I did. I must ask, though--why do you think so much about mortality? I mean, you sound like you're young enough [at least, you should be if you're capable of donating sperm]--shouldn't you be more concerned with living than with dying?
    Well, you never know. And I have feared death for a while. It's almost gotten me a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    that sounds awesome
    you are amazing Pika.. and i truly wish you all the best
    Thank you.

Well, obviously. The carrier will be taking care of it.

Ps. I am in a hurry. so will finish your post later tonight.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Like a time capsule? I've wanted to make on of them with honey inside. You know they say that stuff doesn't go bad. I could be eating 25 year old honey I got out of a box in the ground. Better than a McDLT.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Make sure to place the message in a waterproof capsule and fill the bottle with some kind of opaque fluid. Maybe a red wine - classy and functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Like a time capsule? I've wanted to make on of them with honey inside. You know they say that stuff doesn't go bad. I could be eating 25 year old honey I got out of a box in the ground. Better than a McDLT.
    Sounds yummy. Does it age line wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Make sure to place the message in a waterproof capsule and fill the bottle with some kind of opaque fluid. Maybe a red wine - classy and functional.
    And potentially a choking hazard...

13. - Top - End - #13

Unless they're sucking it down right from the bottle, it would be easy enough to see it. Spoilsport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

out of curiosity did you put a photo of you in there?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    out of curiosity did you put a photo of you in there?
    I was thinking about it, but then it would not be as compact and look the way I wanted.

I am OK with it, since the mother has mentioned multiple times that if the kid asks she will "just show it your photos". She has me covered there.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you Skami. It brought a tear to my eye that you came out of retirement/lurking for me to give me a message. It means a lot, and you had a very good point which I will try to bring home. So much so that I placed it in my sig.

In some ways I already feel dead, and have for a long time. Like a shell if you will. Death still feels real, though, and if I did not fear it, well I don't know what I would have done long ago. But now I am getting a new reason, to live, someone to live and fight for, so perhaps Death will become less importnt to me now?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

This is so sad. She got robbed while in another state seeing a dying relative. And yes the bottle was taken, but that is a minor item.
    Last edited by Pika...; 2011-06-14 at 05:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, dang robbers will take anything. :/

At least the bottle can be redone.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Geez, dang robbers will take anything. :/

At least the bottle can be redone.
    Thank you, but no need. I just got dumped.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Wut? They don't want you anymore?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Wut? They don't want you anymore?
    She got back together with the gf, then I suddenly got the boot. Oh well...whatever.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

*hugs*

I'm sorry, Pika.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    *hugs*

I'm sorry, Pika.
    Aww, thank you. Means a lot.

I am somewhat depressed, but I am used to the disappointment now. Not hitting me as hard, which I find somewhat sad/pathetic to boot. Oh well, that is life.
    Last edited by Pika...; 2011-06-16 at 04:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it turns out that she never really gave me the boot. Just with her life thrown in a mess and all that happened to her she needed to really disappear from other people's radar.

So since there is new hope, I made a new bottle.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Gonna be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which is worse. Your friend giving you the boot, or the need to go into hiding.

Regardless, I'm happy for you man. Always look on the brightside.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Gonna be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which is worse. Your friend giving you the boot, or the need to go into hiding.

Regardless, I'm happy for you man. Always look on the brightside.
    Many thanks. We phoned for two hours yesterday.

Poor girl, family dying, marriage break-down, robbed, job. Eh. I am just happy she is OK. She is a strong woman (hope the kid inherits that!), but as someone who does the same I can see when someone needs to go into hiding.

However, the green bottle was just SO much prettier.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground