New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Base Class Challenge Chat Thread

What's it sound like?

Current Challenge: The Light Beckons

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread

A single independent judge sounds like it might be a bit biased, if you want my honest opinion. That's why ErrantX uses a community judged method for his projects. Once you learn to play to a specific judge, the contest would get far easier.

Just my 2cp.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3

Eh, we'll see. I don't really wanna run a voting thread, but maybe I'll convene a council or something. Or Shanghai someone else into running a voting thread >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, a base class contest. But why a light themed class? I can't help but feel had I not posted it my wisp fire guide would be perfect for this... Ah well, looks like I'll need to come up with something else.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'll submit something if I can.. inspiration willing, I suppose. And time. I'm fine with a single judge, myself. I've also resigned to losing beforehand, mind, so I don't care a great deal
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I've also resigned to losing beforehand, mind, so I don't care a great deal
    Typical Cog. You need to stop underestimating yourself, my friend!

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Typical Cog. You need to stop underestimating yourself, my friend!
    Realism, good sir.

Plus, you're joining the competition, as far as I can tell. I'm not dismissing myself here, I'm dismissing any chance of us mortals being able to compete.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #8

Hurry with class format! I am already coming up with ideas!
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Hurry with class format! I am already coming up with ideas!
    ...Only now? Laaaaate.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I might actually throw down on this. No guarantees though, I'm already working on a base class atm, and don't want to overload my work load.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Hmm, I'm glad this is here. The lack of one seemed odd to me. No inspiration on this for now, plus I desperately need to work on the PrC contest - KaganMonk is probably getting very annoyed at me for not coming up with anything for it...

12. - Top - End - #12

Hmmm...a suggestion for you, Gareth.

Consider putting a 1.5 or 2 month time on this one. A base class requires more work than a prestige class, and, if I wanted to build a whole new mechanic, I don't think I'd reasonably get this AND a prestige class for ErrantX done within a month-long time frame without jeopardizing the quality of one or the other.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am so all over this contest.

For formatting, I just took the PrC format from that competition and ripped out the Prestigeclass-y parts.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm...a suggestion for you, Gareth.

Consider putting a 1.5 or 2 month time on this one. A base class requires more work than a prestige class, and, if I wanted to build a whole new mechanic, I don't think I'd reasonably get this AND a prestige class for ErrantX done within a month-long time frame without jeopardizing the quality of one or the other.
    Totally gonna agree with this. Given a two-month timespan, I'll almost certainly have the time to come up with something, where a month isn't enough time for me. Just a thought anyhow.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Djinn: Agreed. more time would be nice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This is tempting, just to see how badly I suck at writing base classes. Could the consolation prize be something other than being kneecapped?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    This is tempting, just to see how badly I suck at writing base classes. Could the consolation prize be something other than being kneecapped?
    But, that takes the fun out of it! I mean, what's the point in living without danger?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, there might be a couple of people from the IRC entering. Do you really want to go up against, say... Fax?

Also, were you looking at Realms of Chaos' work on the shadowcaster, by any chance (in the other thread where you mistook me for someone else)?

LG:

Is this going to go simply on which class you liked best, or is there a specific list of factors you plan to use?
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-03-04 at 07:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    Well, there might be a couple of people from the IRC entering. Do you really want to go up against, say... Fax?

Also, were you looking at Realms of Chaos' work on the shadowcaster, by any chance (in the other thread where you mistook me for someone else)?
    Also, eh, I don't personally mind going up against Fax. If I lose, I lose, big deal. I at least made something cool.

Also, no, it was peacenlove (I remembered later), who happened to collab with Realms on that stuff, so, uh, sorta?

20. - Top - End - #20

Up against Fax? Hell yes. I think I could take him in the PrC contest...a base class I'm less sure about, but I'd be game to try.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I don't think he'll actually do this, although I did mention it on the IRC.

Still, I'm probably in. Maybe.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

I can probably be done by the current deadline. Of course, working off the concept of an old class I once wrote up in a notebook that is around here somewhere helps. I think I've decided to just rewrite it, which will probably come out better as I better understand balance now.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

23. - Top - End - #23

Darn you. I've already posted my radiant monk before.

Perhaps I can come up with a light-based martial class...although that would take a lot of work to find disciplines to match and to make new ones. To the Tome of Battle thread!
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-04 at 10:03 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Up against Fax? Hell yes. I think I could take him in the PrC contest...a base class I'm less sure about, but I'd be game to try.
    This thread is officially Djinn vs. Fax. If Fax joins. The rest of us are spectators
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I have two basic ideas, and I'd like some advice on which to pursue. The first is the Inquisitor, a sort of reverse-Beguiler. Instead of focusing on illusion and enchantment, they focus on abjuration and divination. In place of abilities like Cloaked Casting, I'm thinking to give them Mindspy-esque abilities that affect (usually debuffing) creatures that are viewed through an Inquisitor's divinations or hit by their dispels, in addition to some defensive abilities to "burn away illusions with the light of truth." I'm also considering giving them a turning ability that increases with level to be able to turn other types of creatures, like various outsiders, aberrations, vermin, and possibly eventually anything (with a much more limited uses per day, of course).

The second is the Enlightened. It would be sort of a wisdom-based divine factotum/monk thing, even using inspiration points. It's a bit more unformed in my head, but I'm considering giving it various beneficial auras and party buffs (less solo-focused than the factotum; I suppose it's technically an Enlightener), some healing, and of course lots of skills.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2010-03-04 at 11:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Okay, I have two basic ideas, and I'd like some advice on which to pursue. The first is the Inquisitor, a sort of reverse-Beguiler. Instead of focusing on illusion and enchantment, they focus on abjuration and divination. In place of abilities like Cloaked Casting, I'm thinking to give them Mindspy-esque abilities that affect (usually debuffing) creatures that are viewed through an Inquisitor's divinations or hit by their dispels, in addition to some defensive abilities to "burn away illusions with the light of truth." I'm also considering giving them a turning ability that increases with level to be able to turn other types of creatures, like various outsiders, aberrations, vermin, and possibly eventually anything (with a much more limited uses per day, of course).

The second is the Enlightened. It would be sort of a wisdom-based divine factotum/monk thing, even using inspiration points. It's a bit more unformed in my head, but I'm considering giving it various beneficial auras and party buffs (less solo-focused than the factotum; I suppose it's technically an Enlightener), some healing, and of course lots of skills.
    The first seems most tied to the theme, but both are interesting concepts. I'd be curious to see you handle either concept.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Spirit Lantern: The Spirit Lantern is a class that uses a ghostly light to trick the spirits of the departed into following it and doing its bidding. It collects Soul Points over time and by being near slain creatures, which it can expend to summon spirits to the physical realm to do its bidding.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

27. - Top - End - #27

The first seems most tied to the theme, but both are interesting concepts. I'd be curious to see you handle either concept.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Spirit Lantern: The Spirit Lantern is a class that uses a ghostly light to trick the spirits of the departed into following it and doing its bidding. It collects Soul Points over time and by being near slain creatures, which it can expend to summon spirits to the physical realm to do its bidding.
    Awesome.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'm considering something based on either mirrors/reflections, or the sun. Yes, my ideas are vague. I'm tossing a lot of them around right now, mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

29. - Top - End - #29

Light, huh...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I'm considering something based on either mirrors/reflections, or the sun. Yes, my ideas are vague. I'm tossing a lot of them around right now, mind.
    If you get something mirror-based done within a week, I'll seriously be very happy.

Part of a campaign.
    Homebrew