New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Outside 40: It's all downhill from here

This place is just as it sounds. It's outside.
    Want a change of scenery? Go outside.
    Always wanted to visit the beach? Come outside.
    Looking to have a climatic fight on clifftops? Attempt outside.
    Secret meetings being held where there's no cameras? Try outside.
    Want an ambush without nasty base defenses? Yep. Outside.

Any and all are welcome here. There are no NPCs unless you bring them in. The major exception is the creepy eyed squirrel. The creepy eyed squirrel does not interfere with anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel is everywhere outside. The creepy eyed squirrel is always watching. The creepy eyed squirrel never sleeps. The creepy eyed squirrel can not be damaged, manipulated, or killed by anyone. The creepy eyed squirrel will eat anyone's very being who attempts to do so. Anyone can god-mode the creepy eyed squirrel. You may pet the creepy eyed squirrel at your own risk.

Other NPCs currently include:
    The menacing crabs. These intimidating creatures are usually found by the shore.
    The non-existent duck. You'll miss every time you shoot at it.

There is very little you can't do outside. However, like always, please follow the forum rules and general rules of conduct. Private conversations can be held outside. If it seems like a private (secret) conversation, please respect that. Those having such a conversation should do their best to indicate it as such. Otherwise, other characters may stumble upon you. Those desiring to spy in on private conversations should first PM those holding the private conversation, more out of courtesy than anything else.

There are many areas outside, and people can be in multiple places outside. In order to keep areas outside separated so there's no confusion, consider bolding your outside location at the start of each of your posts, like so:

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt
    The Fields

Reinholdt sets up various targets and practices his sharpshooting. All these events recently has made him a bit rusty. To his left, he notes the creepy eyed squirrel. Giving him the heebie-jeebies, Reinholdt decides to head somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Calublufiok
    The Cliffside

Calublufiok broods over his latest scheme as he flies over the cliffs. The creepy eyed squirrel is watching him again. He finds occasionally landing and telling the creepy eyed squirrel his plans helps him find holes in his plotting.

Note Reinholdt and Calublufiok do not interact because they are in different areas outside. They could interact, if Reinholdt moves to the cliffside. Of course, various things like telepathy help bypass this. Also, please note outside has no major buildings, though minor ones crop up from time to time.

And most importantly, enjoy outside. That's what this is all about.

Outside now contains various Outside locations! Such as...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Dead Pine Lake]
    Spoiler
    Show
    This lake lies in the middle of the forest. On the eastern shore, woodpeckers feast on the dead pines that give the lake its name. Sometimes one can find Lady Death here, the Aspect of Eve also known as The Grandmother, or Jedwiga.

(Please PM happyturtle if you wish to interact with Jedwiga.)

Spoiler
    Show

[The Islands]
    Spoiler
    Show

An island cluster forms an archipelago along the coast. Some of the islands are settled, some not, but most are at least occasionally visited by the fishermen who work these waters.

[Gersemi's Island]
    Spoiler
    Show

Now more commonly known as Melody's Island, since Gersemi has long ago retired.

Where once was a single hut with a few sheep, now stands a single hut, a barn, a few sheep, and a small tented community of orphans. Gersemi's loom still rests in one corner of the single hut.

Melody, like Gersemi before her, is a healer for the surrounding islands.

(Please PM Lex-Kat if you wish to interact with Melody.)

[Redbrick Falls]
    Spoiler
    Show

A mountainous, cliffy region with a prominent waterfall. A large quarry once was worked in these cliffs. Now, only a few scattered villages and solitary dwellings remain.

[Norosa, Great City of the Elves]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Lawful Evil city with an incredibly strong military and a very charismatic leader (Archmage Tyrion Lannister). It has a few CG resisters, but, otherwise, it is a city of peace and law, despite its evil nature.

[Brillian's Baneful Bestiary]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A secret series of caves where a mad scientist lives. A mad scientist who creates mutant attack creatures. These can be purchased for the right price.

[Auxiliary MagCave]
    Spoiler
    Show

A relic from the days of the Age of Apocalypse, this abandoned cavern was once used by the infamous cyborg Magtok as a back-up laboratory and underground fortress, should Calublufiok have ever stormed the primary MagCave.

[The Katz Motel]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Located in the middle of Nowhere, our roadside motel is the only decent place for miles near the Taverna that has a bed. Run by a suave anthropomorphic cat, there is a strict No Dogs policy.

A bellhop by the name of Bates is always ready to assist in carrying your luggage. Please ignore his constant mutterings about his mother. Other more unsavory employees can occasionally be found. Please try to avoid eye contact with them.

We at the Katz Motel wish to ensure you have a splendid stay. Any inconvenience due to randomly locking doors, giant spiders, secret passages, vampires, creepy paintings, and the occasional possession and subsequent exorcism are incredibly rare. Just look at our complaint cards! Not a single one mentions dying horribly in their sleep or becoming food for the monster in the basement.

And if you get bored, the owner will always be up for a game of sport, old boy.

((The Katz Motel is a horror filled place with the highest casualty rate of any motel in the Nexus area. Checking in is usually pretty easy and pleasant. Checking out is rare. Anyone can play the Motel and the NPCs within, free to invent their own horror. The NPCs within that can die usually only suffer death temporarily, the supernatural force causing the disturbances bringing them back to life for its own nefarious purposes. PCs get no benefit from this.))

[The Troll Cave]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A cave in a craggy hill. The undergrowth outside is trampled completely flat, and there's not much wildlife. There's a burned patch where a fire is sometimes there. Inside are a few large caves, linked by surprisingly smooth tunnels that look like something big has been regularly pushing through them.

[Blind Cat's Bluff]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A sheer cliff dropoff that travels straight down into the water, this is a favored point of people who commit suicide, romantics wanting to watch the sunset and anyone looking to get rid of evidence. The drop is pretty far and there are rocks at the bottom that spell almost certain doom, so watch your step.

[North Forest]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A magical forest with a mythical spring of beauty. A bit like the Weald, but not nearly as dangerous. For starters, you can find your way back out and the pixies aren't cannibals.

Frozen Forest & Hermitage
    A large forest of tall trees and once very pretty flowers lies here. The entire forest has been completely frozen over, and a blizzard constantly storms and snows over the forest, but doesn't affect even an inch past the forest border. The forest is still very pretty; the flowers and mushrooms glittering under a frozen layer. The place is pretty safe, if you're used to constant snow and cold temperatures.

PM the thread maker if you wish to add locations to Outside.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2017-06-23 at 11:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 40: It's all downhill from here

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    "Go right ahead," Jakkal says, "The sooner hwee get me zome clothes, the bett-orr."
    Alice grins and says, "Yes...I can see that...Unfortunately. Oh well. Come with me, please." And with that, she slithers off towards the Lotus Gardens.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Alice grins and says, "Yes...I can see that...Unfortunately. Oh well. Come with me, please." And with that, she slithers off towards the Lotus Gardens.
    "Eef By catch hyoo starink," Jakkal threatens, following Alice from a safe distance, "Hy hweel reep hyoor heyes out."

((To riverside!))
    Last edited by TechnoScrabble; 2014-04-15 at 10:27 AM.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Melody's Island

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    Jezebelle smiles kindly at Magtok. "I'm sorry. I wish I could do something to make you feel more comfortable. she looks around, not knowing what else to say or do. Then she looks back to Happy. "Do you like the soup?"

Melody raises an eyebrow. That's the pincushion-thing, right? Never tried it before. You really think it'll work? she looks over to her broken arm. Hopefully that's not your plan for mending this. she says, a little amused.
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    [/SPOILER]

"It's good. Your soup is always good,"
    Happy says. She looks at Melody. "Be careful with that acupuncher stuff. They make me pass out." Actually that was Happy's player. This was about 15 or so years ago that I had acupuncture. I never felt the needles, but about two minutes after they were put in, I fainted. The assistant caught me - they removed some of the needles, and had me lay down. The doctor says it was because I had very low chi, so that's why redirecting it with the needles had that effect.

I really don't know what I believe about all that, still.
    Derek smiles and nods used to that reaction. "Well my acupuncture is probably a little different then what you might be thinking of. Where I am from it is one of the more popular ways to focus healing magic. It takes a bit of time, but I would say we could have that bone fixed in an hour or so. Just so long as you aren't scared of needles.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [The Lost Temple]

Dena is in fact not touching the door. She didn't close it so if it's shut then she would have won the bet if Ithuriel had taken it! Damn non-gambling angels. I guess they only play dirty when cyborgs are around. She will have Violet scan it for magic however, the drone being able to detect both magic and traps. "Well, looks like you'd lost anyway but there is never wrong with a bit of gambling at the side. Might make you forget you can die any minute." The drow remarks with a smile as her magical golem scout drone scans the door.
    Not only is Ithuriel not the gambling sort, she's also smart enough to spot a bad bet. Considering Dena has been here before, she'd have to be a fool to bet against Dena with regards to anything in this place.

"Well, maybe if you offered a reasonable bet for a less ludicrous amount of money. I'm an angel, I don't exactly have much use for money so I don't keep much of the stuff around." Ithuriel shrugs and keeps an eye on the path behind them while Dena investigates the door, "I have no fear of death anyway. You get used to it after the first time."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lost and Found Temple

((Okay, disregard my previous posts. I misunderstood what was going on, and thought you guys were further along than you were...My fault for not reading your posts right.))

Violet's scan of the door reveals it has several enchanments built into it, radiating auras of Necromancy, Evocation, Abjuration, and Transmutation. There is nobody approaching the party from behind.

Frozen Forest

A young woman is out in the elements, wearing a parka and alone as far as she knows. She's writing in a journal:

Day 12: Still no rescue in sight. I'm beginning to feel a little warmer, though I'm not sure if it's the final stages of Hypothermia setting in, or if the snowstorm is actually beginning to lighten up. Either way, I still can't find the rest of the expedition...I hope they made it out of here...This is likely my last entry. If someone finds this, please...Get out of here...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Temple of lost and found

"Huh, so if you are immortal and don't need money, how are you supposed to be able to relate to mortals again? Seems kinda counterproductive in my opinion." Dena casually remarks as Violet scans. Once the scanning is complete the drow just nods. "Yep, it's trapped alright. Guess we have to use plan B to escape in case we need to." She turns to Ithuriel. "Can you... detect evil or something like that?" Paladins could so clearly an angel must be able to as well!

Frozen Forest

It will only get worse.
    Cold as the grave they say and perhaps there is some truth in that saying now when she's literally sitting on the ground that in some mere moments indeed will be her grave.
    Here she will experience her final moments, her final experiences before the cold claims her like so many else.
    Since if she would take a closer look around she would see that her brothers and sisters in death are all waiting for her to close her eyes for one final time. Here they all will be together for eternity, locked in your final moments, huddling against trees, hugging themselves in a feeble attempt for warmth. But they all look happy now, all flashing white grins at the newcomer, welcoming her into their family.

And then it comes, the light. Her final moment. If she looks up she will see a shining figure stepping out of the woods as the temperature drastically lowers even more than should even be possible out in these frozen wastes. The figure, vaguely humanoid, spreads it's arms, welcoming her in an embrace. The embrace of death.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Frozen Forest

Delirious, the young woman looks up at the light, and then trudges slowly through the snow until she reaches it, embracing her fate and her death with open arms, a smile on her face as she finally is at peace.

Lost and Found Temple

The temple, for it's part, doesn't resist the scan, or do anything unusual in response.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-04-15 at 07:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

[Lost and Found Temple]

"Well, I wasn't immortal. When I first died, I became a vampire. And when I died as a vampire, I became an angel. So...in both cases I was spared from death against my will. I don't know exactly how immortal I am as an angel, but I would imagine that, being servant to a god, death isn't as final as it should be for me even now. I'm able to relate to mortals because I was one...at first at least." Funny old world, isn't it? She'd have much preferred to have had just the one death, but that's not what fate had in store for her.

"Do you know what the door is trapped with? Just because it's trapped doesn't mean it's not a way out any more. And I already detected evil. Surprise surprise, the whole place is evil, but there's a bunch of evil blips on the radar deeper underground, including one big one for what I presume is the head honcho. Unless there's someone up here with a way to escape detection, this floor is deserted."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

10. - Top - End - #10

[Lost and Found Temple]

"And when you die as an angel you become a werewolf? We probably can test that out in here." Dena replies. "But yeah, you're right. It's enchanted out of the wazoo though. Necromancy, evocation, transmutation... and I just barely know what those names mean. I'm no mage you know? Just rich enough to afford a lot of toys." She looks around. "However, the treasury should be near here. My goal here is to empty it, once we have done that we could just plant a bomb here and watch this place be blasted into bits and pieces."

Frozen Forest

The question is if she even reaches it alive as the blood in her veins will literary freeze to ice before she comes near the shining being. Still, it comes to catch the frozen corpse before it falls to the ground, holding it like a lover until it's as cold as the ground underneath them. Then it discards it like an broken toy, leaving an frozen mummy out of what once had been a human being.
    And with that it walks back into the forest again, taking it's hungering cold with it.

But perhaps she isn't ready to join the rest of the discarded toys just yet...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lost Temple

((You guys can keep chatting. I'll check in if you do something, but poke me in the IRC if I miss something I need to respond to))

Frozen Forest

Indeed. She's not quite broken yet. Small lights begin to flicker around her body, first where the light touched her, then growing, surrounding her body until it becomes a raging inferno. Her legs dissolve into the light, now obviously to any observers as a fire. Her flesh, while still freezingly cold, softens, allowing her to move again. Finally, her eyes open, glowing with the same light as she asks the world, "Where...Where am I? What happened?" And then the memories flood back. The freezing cold, the light...death. But she's here now...And, off in the distance, there four points, points she now instinctually knows are heat sources. Another memory comes in: The Expedition. Maybe...Maybe they'd help her...She's so cold, still...So very, very cold.

12. - Top - End - #12

Frozen Forest

The tranquil pines, piercing the azure sky above the snowy plain from which they sprung, swayed slightly in the wind that blew throught the forest.
    Which is strange, as these trees are tall and large, making ig difficult for mere wind to sway.
    One who treks through this certain location may here a miscevious laughter slightly in the wind, just loud enough to notice but soft enough for one to think they imagined it.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

13. - Top - End - #13

Wasteland

Across the wastes strides a woman with long dark brown hair in a ponytail, her vivid blue eyes surveying the land. Clad in a waist-length tan jacket with white leggings, a purple shirt, and brown boots, with a belt connected to a complex harness wrapping around her legs, chest, and feet, her 3d maneuver gear hanging from it.
    Sophia looks around as she treks, wondering if the whole wasteland is this monotonous in scenery.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

As she's walking, she may notice a change in the consistency of the dust. The surface seems to sag a bit, and there's more of a crunch underfoot than there was a few steps ago.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Wasteland

As she's walking, she may notice a change in the consistency of the dust. The surface seems to sag a bit, and there's more of a crunch underfoot than there was a few steps ago.
    Teenage(r in a) Wasteland

Sophia frowns, treading more lightly now as she walks, but otherwise not changing her actions.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

As she goes forward, the ground sags more... and it's almost like an elastic sheet, really. Each step is punctuated with a crunch, as the surface tension is broken, and then the sheet sags. Is there an open area beneath the ground? for that matter, it's not acting like natural ground.

17. - Top - End - #17

Wasteland

As she goes forward, the ground sags more... and it's almost like an elastic sheet, really. Each step is punctuated with a crunch, as the surface tension is broken, and then the sheet sags. Is there an open area beneath the ground? for that matter, it's not acting like natural ground.
    Sophia raises and eyebrow, steps back, and tosses a detached sword blade at the ground in front of her.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

If that sword has a hilt, it will go into the ground up to the hilt. If it's just a blade, it will slide right through and keep going. She won't hear it hit anything, either.

19. - Top - End - #19

Wasteland

If that sword has a hilt, it will go into the ground up to the hilt. If it's just a blade, it will slide right through and keep going. She won't hear it hit anything, either.
    Just a blade.
    Sophia looks to see if there's any posts or similar nearby.
    If not, she walks around the spot
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

[Hill]

In a large hill standing in the middle of a dark, thick wood, all animals appear to have been evicted. Instead, some dark, creeping shapes appear to have moved in. Currently, anyone who passes by there for some reason might spot a hunched, malformed figure perching on a tree overlooking the hill.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

This area is really flat. As in, really flat. Too flat to be natural. In fact it's slightly bowl shaped, if she looks at it the right way.

As she continues toward the center of the bowl, the surface will get worse. It will start to be like every step is a step into deep snow, her feet sink so much.

22. - Top - End - #22

Wasteland

This area is really flat. As in, really flat. Too flat to be natural. In fact it's slightly bowl shaped, if she looks at it the right way.

As she continues toward the center of the bowl, the surface will get worse. It will start to be like every step is a step into deep snow, her feet sink so much.
    Sophia struggles to keep moving, glancing around the landscape.
    She fires a grappling hook from her 3DMG at a part of ground, the hook digging in likely, just in case
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

The hook digs in, and will be secure even if the medium is movable. It's not the best anchor, but it should work okay, right?

24. - Top - End - #24

Wasteland

The hook digs in, and will be secure even if the medium is movable. It's not the best anchor, but it should work okay, right?
    Right...?
    She then jumps on the center!
    Sounds like a brilliant idea
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

There is a loud crunch as the tension is broken, and the surface sags. It then rebounds, as elastic is want to do, and it might even cause Sophia to be in the air for a short period of time.

It's a giant trampoline!

26. - Top - End - #26

Wasteland

There is a loud crunch as the tension is broken, and the surface sags. It then rebounds, as elastic is want to do, and it might even cause Sophia to be in the air for a short period of time.

It's a giant trampoline!
    Sophia looks rather surprised!
    She lets herself bounce a bit, taking the air time to survey te land around her.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

It's boring out here! The bowl is fairly large, the size of a small town, and there is nothing notable in the bowl. No plants, no rocks, a bit of dirt and dust... how boring.

28. - Top - End - #28

Wasteland

It's boring out here! The bowl is fairly large, the size of a small town, and there is nothing notable in the bowl. No plants, no rocks, a bit of dirt and dust... how boring.
    Sophia, upon landing, takes a sword and cuts through the center!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasteland

She cuts through the center, getting a good look at an age long past. Below her is a town, but not one like she's ever seen. The buildings are built into the walls of the hole underneath the surface. Light filters down from above, supplying Sophia a good view of this place. The largest building is below her, and appears to be a small castle.

30. - Top - End - #30

Wasteland

She cuts through the center, getting a good look at an age long past. Below her is a town, but not one like she's ever seen. The buildings are built into the walls of the hole underneath the surface. Light filters down from above, supplying Sophia a good view of this place. The largest building is below her, and appears to be a small castle.
    Sophia slowly lowers herself down to the castle top, landing with grace and surveying the location.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show