New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power VI: Stripping The Hero Doesnt Work

If you mean the whole 'slave' thing, the way it's laid out in the rant, it's basically just infernal dating, since infernals seem to be galactic-level edgelords.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

She is getting out of the blast radius and is enjoying whats happening/about to happen. And you know what? I forgive tom. Remember the whole argument about cultures thats been going on? Its not unexpected for someone whose culture is all about power and subjugation and various related fields might forget in the moment that this super powerful being is very irritated by the idea of a woman being enslaved. Assuming he even knew that in the first place. At least he didnt suggest a burqa. That would have made both max AND dabbler try to crush him.
    Forgive Tom for what? Max being a hypocritical idiot?
    We can see respecting personal space only really applies to Max's personal space. Not others.

And it seems Max somehow forgot she is assulting the general of a alien force who by all account is a couple of magnitudes more powerful than what the earth has available.
    What the hell does the moron think she is doing? Humiliating or killing the general is not things likely to reduce the chance of an attack.

Max really should not have her rank.
    But unfortunately she is as powerful as she are. So hard to avoid it.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2021-10-31 at 06:07 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #933
    Colossus in the Playground

It was a response to shining wraths comment about how he seems to have forgotten the type of person she is. If you have known her longer than 5 minutes you have probably already figured out her triggers. And remember her reaction to this? Thats right, instantly dropping him after reminding him to be careful what he says and he decides poking the killdozer is the right response. But as i said, i forgive tom for not thinking in that moment of frustration that calling one of maxs friends/underlings a slave isnt going to end well. As was explained in the authors note, its not something at all offensive in their culture.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #934

Honestly, Khaine, it seems like you're expecting Grrlpower to go into a different genre; while Max's reactions are (probably- more on that in a sec) incredibly dumb from a real-world perspective, within the tropes of a relatively standard superhero world, they're nothing out of the ordinary.

One possible way for Max's actions to make sense without needing to invoke the cover of 'it's just a superhero world' is that, thanks to Dabbler, she knows that demon (and fiend, I guess) hierarchies run heavily on asskicking equals authority. That is, you don't get to be in charge unless you can stomp the guys under you. So even if Tom's army can take Earth no problem, if Max is able to step into the demon hierarchy, she is automatically Tom's superior by virtue of being able to slap the stupid out of him.

Eh, just guesswork, but based on what we know about the Grrlverse infernals, it could work.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I don't see what's stupid about Max here.
    Tom effectively declared war. He's lucky that Max didn't take him for a serious threat, because otherwise he'd be dead.
    And killing him would stop the invasion. He's the leader. Taking out the chain of command has a pretty good track record at incapacitating armies.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

It was a response to shining wraths comment about how he seems to have forgotten the type of person she is. If you have known her longer than 5 minutes you have probably already figured out her triggers. And remember her reaction to this? Thats right, instantly dropping him after reminding him to be careful what he says and he decides poking the killdozer is the right response. But as i said, i forgive tom for not thinking in that moment of frustration that calling one of maxs friends/underlings a slave isnt going to end well. As was explained in the authors note, its not something at all offensive in their culture.
    Yeah.. and does this in any way explain away Max's IMMENSE amount of hypocrisy ?

Honestly, Khaine, it seems like you're expecting Grrlpower to go into a different genre; while Max's reactions are (probably- more on that in a sec) incredibly dumb from a real-world perspective, within the tropes of a relatively standard superhero world, they're nothing out of the ordinary.
    No. But im certainly not going to stop calling out when stuff are particular idiotic.
    Or when Max is being a hypocrite.

I don't see what's stupid about Max here.
    Tom effectively declared war. He's lucky that Max didn't take him for a serious threat, because otherwise he'd be dead.
    And killing him would stop the invasion. He's the leader. Taking out the chain of command has a pretty good track record at incapacitating armies.
    Actually he didnt quite get to the decleration of war bit. Dabbler distracted him from it.
    And when someone is wavering between declaring war and not? thats not the time to murder their key diplomat/negotiator.

Because no. Killing him would not stop anything. Thats the whole point of a chain of command.
    That there is a #2 in place to step in and take over.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #937

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yeah.. and does this in any way explain away Max's IMMENSE amount of hypocrisy ?

No. But im certainly not going to stop calling out when stuff are particular idiotic.
    Or when Max is being a hypocrite.

Actually he didnt quite get to the decleration of war bit. Dabbler distracted him from it.
    And when someone is wavering between declaring war and not? thats not the time to murder their key diplomat/negotiator.

Because no. Killing him would not stop anything. Thats the whole point of a chain of command.
    That there is a #2 in place to step in and take over.
    Yes, its hypocritical to have triggers that when pressed cause an instant response. Somehow. Yes I get it its not the smartest move to crush the skull of demonlord fiendman the evilest master of powerpoint to ever exist, but having well known and well established responses to certain stimuli doesnt mean she is a hypocrite, it means there are some things she wont allow in front of her. There are limits to her patience. Like she is more than willing to engage in talks with thoggy right now. But the moment a army of demons appears, he would die first. Trying to convince them to submit is fine. Wont work, but fine to try. Demanding they surrender or else will get another improbable body slam.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #938
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm sorry, but Tom meant to insult Dabbler with "Slave", and Max does not have to let a commanding general insult one of her officers.

Dave's origin of succubi is just weird.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Is this really going to become multiple pages of exposition. Please got tell me this will be over soon.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

I wish Dave would put more of the exposition in his under-comic section, and spend more of the comic on the story instead of the Grand Tour Of His World.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm sorry, but Tom meant to insult Dabbler with "Slave", and Max does not have to let a commanding general insult one of her officers.

Dave's origin of succubi is just weird.
    And its just as likely to be as much of an insult as a captain calling his lt exactly that when he gets a little too mouthy for whatever sort of working relationship they may have. "Remember your place lieutenant." So more pulling rank than a real insult. Again, according to the AN slavery is not exactly treated the same in demonworld. And it sounds like its even more complicated for succubae. Also, ive read stories like this before. Generally done in high magic stories. Basically the story goes that a lot of fantasy creatures are the product of drunken wizards messing about and sometimes you get one shot creatures, sometimes they escape and breed true. I cant remember where I read it, might have been a webcomic where someone says, "Are you trying to tell me the wizard who made OWLBEARS a thing was sober?!"

12. - Top - End - #942

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And its just as likely to be as much of an insult as a captain calling his lt exactly that when he gets a little too mouthy for whatever sort of working relationship they may have. "Remember your place lieutenant." So more pulling rank than a real insult. Again, according to the AN slavery is not exactly treated the same in demonworld. And it sounds like its even more complicated for succubae. Also, ive read stories like this before. Generally done in high magic stories. Basically the story goes that a lot of fantasy creatures are the product of drunken wizards messing about and sometimes you get one shot creatures, sometimes they escape and breed true. I cant remember where I read it, might have been a webcomic where someone says, "Are you trying to tell me the wizard who made OWLBEARS a thing was sober?!"
    Yes, but rank doesn't usually cross nationalities. A US private doesn't have to salute a North Korean major. Maxima is within her rights to tell Tom that Dabbler isn't in his chain of command; in fact, that seems to be a pretty important point of order.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    At least, the author does sometimes call Max out for it. I know he thinks its funny, but in reality, loosing your control (violently), because someone vaguely said something you strongly disagree with, is childish and unprofessional. Especially when she asks her subordinates to control their reactions.

I find most of her characteristics very believable, her issues, hypocrisies, etc. But a seasoned colonel (usually) would know better than to act like a radical teen.

14. - Top - End - #944

Yes, but rank doesn't usually cross nationalities. A US private doesn't have to salute a North Korean major. Maxima is within her rights to tell Tom that Dabbler isn't in his chain of command; in fact, that seems to be a pretty important point of order.
    Dabbler isnt a soldier, she is an adventurer. There is absolutely no reason why she cant also be a slave to thoggy. To use your own example, if a north korean citizen is working for the US as a civilian consultant, that doesnt mean north korea loses all authority over them. He is still one of their people and subject to their laws. *EDIT* Also yes, a soldier in the US army would in fact salute an officer in another nations military if they are of higher rank.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-11-02 at 09:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dabbler isnt a soldier, she is an adventurer. There is absolutely no reason why she cant also be a slave to thoggy. To use your own example, if a north korean citizen is working for the US as a civilian consultant, that doesnt mean north korea loses all authority over them. He is still one of their people and subject to their laws. *EDIT* Also yes, a soldier in the US army would in fact salute an officer in another nations military if they are of higher rank.
    That depends very much on the relation between the two militaries. In the case of the comic, with the implicit threat of a virtual stranger coming in with an army at their back, that establishes enough hostility that saluting would likely be considered inappropriate. Certainly you dont salute an officer of an overtly hostile army.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #946

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That depends very much on the relation between the two militaries. In the case of the comic, with the implicit threat of a virtual stranger coming in with an army at their back, that establishes enough hostility that saluting would likely be considered inappropriate. Certainly you dont salute an officer of an overtly hostile army.
    Actually not really. All officers of countries that are recognized as countries by the United States are saluted even during times of war. I mean, you wouldnt stop and salute the captain of a platoon you are shooting at currently, thats just silly, but outside of combat situations, you are supposed to salute. Military bearing will be maintained. I dont know if its part of the ucmj or just tradition, im having a tough time tracking that down, but every bit of research i can turn up has that as the answer for "do you salute foreign officers"

17. - Top - End - #947

SamuraiGuy

I must confess to being amused that the two arch-mages made succubi that resembled each other. "Illuminating", as the tall elvish one said.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Dave no. Please no. Dave no! No! No! Nonononononononononononononononononononooo....
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I wish Dave would put more of the exposition in his under-comic section, and spend more of the comic on the story instead of the Grand Tour Of His World.
    Yeah, after today's comic I have to agree with you. While this isn't boring per se, it's definitely not what I want out of a superhero comic.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

20. - Top - End - #950

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Yeah, after today's comic I have to agree with you. While this isn't boring per se, it's definitely not what I want out of a superhero comic.
    If he updated daily I wouldnt object to this digression. World building is important in any story or comic. The problem comes in when world building unacceptably slows story progression and thats a sticky wicket really. What exactly is "too slow"? Its going to be different for different people. And it also may vary depending on the quality of world building and the type of story its being put into. But in this case, twice a week updates, means we are likely to have at LEAST a week, maybe 2 or more, before we finish this digression and get back to the matter at hand. Namely, a high lord of hell wants to take over and is starting with spreadsheets but may not be willing to stop there.

21. - Top - End - #951

... okay, I admit it. I laughed at the guy with the bear.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Oh Dave no. Please no. Dave no! No! No! Nonononononononononononononononononononooo....
    Eh, we still haven't even come close to the 'major villain prostitutes herself to Deus' levels of squick yet.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Okay, so that line about all succubus being slaves was a lie.
    I'm sorry, but if we make super advanced robots to service us, then later emancipate them, they're not slaves anymore.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Okay, so that line about all succubus being slaves was a lie.
    I'm sorry, but if we make super advanced robots to service us, then later emancipate them, they're not slaves anymore.
    If they have been fully emancipated. There might be a legal quagmire that was solved by a technicality. With so many galactic civilizations not all of them would immediately acknowledge succubi as sentient beings (as the magic AI improvement was obviously gradual and civil status would be a sharp change), so it might have been easier to keep them as property officially while forbidding any kinds of restraining of your technical slaves making succubi effectively free and protected by property laws in those jurisdictions that did not recognize them as sentient beings yet.

Still, I am not sure, what does this tangent on succubi social status brings to the overall story.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    If they have been fully emancipated. There might be a legal quagmire that was solved by a technicality. With so many galactic civilizations not all of them would immediately acknowledge succubi as sentient beings (as the magic AI improvement was obviously gradual and civil status would be a sharp change), so it might have been easier to keep them as property officially while forbidding any kinds of restraining of your technical slaves making succubi effectively free and protected by property laws in those jurisdictions that did not recognize them as sentient beings yet.

Still, I am not sure, what does this tangent on succubi social status brings to the overall story.
    This sounds like another one of those things where it was wildly underestimated how much of an interlude this would be, and the full realization didnt happen until after it was started.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #956
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Probably when it was realized how much cheesecake would be getting drawn in the process.

27. - Top - End - #957

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Probably when it was realized how much cheesecake would be getting drawn in the process.
    Maybe I'm just weird, or old, but Franken-inflatable-dolls are not setting my libido aflutter.

28. - Top - End - #958

Maybe I'm just weird, or old, but Franken-inflatable-dolls are not setting my libido aflutter.
    Prude! /scoffs

29. - Top - End - #959

SamuraiGuy

Prude! /scoffs
    Activates Maxima prude-defense signal

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, they could've at least used a aesthetically pleasing stitching pattern, as a bare minimum.
    Also, less brain dead eating drooling.

Sure, those are prototypes, but still, the baseline zombie look is not very attractive.

New comic

Well, at least they're using renewable resources. That's a upside, isn't it?
    On the other hand it means arch-magi were hipsters.
    Because they used renewable energy before it was cool.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-11-08 at 12:51 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")