New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Beast of the Sea: Totally Unusable

Speed: 5 feet.

Need I say more? Most, and I'm talking about like 99% most, DnD games will be almost entirely played above water. I see what they were thinking: "gee, people in the survey said they want a beast of the sea, what do you think they had in mind?" "Well, the only sea creature I can think of is the Octopus, it must be that. Better template the move speed off of that." Except there's a ton of sea creatures like crustacians (ie, Giant Crab being what I actully wanted) that actually have a real land speed.

Regardless of what they were thinking, giving something a 5' land speed gimps it so hard that it's going to be an actual burden to the party at every turn. You would never pick this, unless the campaign was HEAVILY focused on underwater content, like how Ghosts of Saltmarsh has all those parts where you go underwater, or at least get to do something meaningful in a boat or something. Maybe you want to argue that they had to make it bad somehow to make up for its good on hit effect, except that the beast of the land gets bonus damage and a knockdown, and the beast of the sky has Flyby and can move at its full speed (60 feet, by the way) in 99% of scenarios. Even if you did want to make beast of the sea slower to balance it, going all the way to 5' is just ridiculous.

"Oh, just cast longstrider on it all the time, it'll be great"

no, I don't want to play a spell-slot-less ranger.

The only ranger that I've ever wanted to play is a crab wrangling beast master, and I've been putting it off until a good version of the ranger comes out. I would be willing to use the new action rules (bonus action to command it) on a beastmaster with a good old giant crab, but the new rules for commanding the beast are locked into having one of these pets. It's just such a dumb design choice.

/rant.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Beast of the Sea: Totally Unusable

Last I checked, a fish outside of water doesn't move hardly at all. So with a speed of 5ft (outside of water) and a swim speed of 60ft (twice as much as most playable characters) actually seems pretty reasonable to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    Speed: 5 feet.

Need I say more? Most, and I'm talking about like 99% most, DnD games will be almost entirely played above water. I see what they were thinking: "gee, people in the survey said they want a beast of the sea, what do you think they had in mind?" "Well, the only sea creature I can think of is the Octopus, it must be that. Better template the move speed off of that." Except there's a ton of sea creatures like crustacians (ie, Giant Crab being what I actully wanted) that actually have a real land speed.

Regardless of what they were thinking, giving something a 5' land speed gimps it so hard that it's going to be an actual burden to the party at every turn. You would never pick this, unless the campaign was HEAVILY focused on underwater content, like how Ghosts of Saltmarsh has all those parts where you go underwater, or at least get to do something meaningful in a boat or something. Maybe you want to argue that they had to make it bad somehow to make up for its good on hit effect, except that the beast of the land gets bonus damage and a knockdown, and the beast of the sky has Flyby and can move at its full speed (60 feet, by the way) in 99% of scenarios. Even if you did want to make beast of the sea slower to balance it, going all the way to 5' is just ridiculous.

"Oh, just cast longstrider on it all the time, it'll be great"

no, I don't want to play a spell-slot-less ranger.

The only ranger that I've ever wanted to play is a crab wrangling beast master, and I've been putting it off until a good version of the ranger comes out. I would be willing to use the new action rules (bonus action to command it) on a beastmaster with a good old giant crab, but the new rules for commanding the beast are locked into having one of these pets. It's just such a dumb design choice.

/rant.
    If you want a crab when you're out of the water, you could just take the land beast option and say it's a crab, no?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I think the intent is that you only use the Beast of the Sea when it's useful.

"When you finish a Long Rest, you can summon a different primal beast"

So, you keep the Beast of the Land running until you get to a point when a pet octopus would be helpful, sleep for the night, and swap them. Kind of like how you can swap out a familiar for a new form by re-casting the spell, the Primal Companion is flexible.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manuel View Post

So, you keep the Beast of the Land running until you get to a point when a pet octopus would be helpful, sleep for the night, and swap them. Kind of like how you can swap out a familiar for a new form by re-casting the spell, the Primal Companion is flexible.
    Or you can swap between the two statblocks and say it's the same crab.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-11-19 at 09:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by werescythe View Post
    Last I checked, a fish outside of water doesn't move hardly at all. So with a speed of 5ft (outside of water) and a swim speed of 60ft (twice as much as most playable characters) actually seems pretty reasonable to me.
    I think the point is that a creature that isn't a fish would have been more viable. Something that's more amphibious than something that can only live in water. OP mentioned giant crabs, for example.

I haven't looked at the new ranger stuff (honestly I haven't looked much at ranger period), but what would make sense to me would be to give all three (I'm assuming there's three, land, sea, and air?) the same walk speed, but then depending on which one you choose they also get a swim, climb, or flying speed. Alternatively, the land creature might get a burrow speed instead of a climb speed (since flying makes climbing mostly redundant). There might be some other minor differences (like the sea beast being able to breathe in water), but otherwise they'd be mostly the same.

Point is, as the OP says, there's not really much reason to have an aquatic-only beast. Most adventures take place on land, and while I don't know the exact mechanics for ranger companions, I'm assuming they can't be swapped out as freely as a familiar (and even if they can, it's still kind of a pain). It would be better to have something that excels in the water but remains viable on land. The hard part should be making a land beast appealing when you could take a flying beast instead.

7. - Top - End - #7

There are two other perfectly viable options for more traditional settings.

Is it really worth anyone's time to complain that your sea monster can't do very well on land?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manuel View Post

Yes, you can switch it. But if you have to wait for until the next day every time you jump in the water, and then also wait the rest of that day to continue doing things on land, it's not really going to be used very much. You'd have to expect to spend the entire day underwater for it to be a good choice. And to make it worse, I feel like more often than not even when you're doing "watery" things, you wouldn't want a companion who can't move close enough to do anything if you go into an underwater cave, or even if you get into a fight on a boat.
    Show

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

For what it's worth, most crabs aren't known for their swim speed.

10. - Top - End - #10

ClericGuy

Even worse, why would you take a beast of the sea when a beast of the land with water breathing cast on it is more effective?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Even worse, why would you take a beast of the sea when a beast of the land with water breathing cast on it is more effective?
    Define "more effective". Water breathing doesn't affect movement underwater or the disadvantage to attacking underwater, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Sea creatures being profoundly unhelpful on land strikes me as a feature, not a bug.

Certainly, I think it could've been neat if amphibious creatures had some kind of support, but it seems like it's primarily intended to model, like... fish/octopi, wolves et al., and birds. I can imagine that being frustrating if you have your heart set on a crab rangoon ranger (or a Florida Man type with an alligator), but... that's relatively niche

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rusvul View Post
    Sea creatures being profoundly unhelpful on land strikes me as a feature, not a bug.

Certainly, I think it could've been neat if amphibious creatures had some kind of support, but it seems like it's primarily intended to model, like... fish/octopi, wolves et al., and birds. I can imagine that being frustrating if you have your heart set on a crab rangoon ranger (or a Florida Man type with an alligator), but... that's relatively niche
    It has the ability, Amphibious. And I feel like crocodile companion wouldn't be a rare desire either.

Even if you do just want it to be a fish for some reason, why would you want it to not be a fish that's actually useful outside of one encounter in a year of playing the game? Why not have an especially badass fish that can hop around on land all day at 20 feet a round?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    It has the ability, Amphibious. And I feel like crocodile companion wouldn't be a rare desire either.

Even if you do just want it to be a fish for some reason, why would you want it to not be a fish that's actually useful outside of one encounter in a year of playing the game? Why not have an especially badass fish that can hop around on land all day at 20 feet a round?
    Why not get a fish that can fly like a hummingbird?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    Why not get a fish that can fly like a hummingbird?
    Sure, but it would be pretty awkward if it couldn't swim or breath underwater. Same goes for all the crabs that have charging attacks instead of pincirs that grab.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I don't quite understand the resistance to this being at least moderately useful outside of the water. I don't play many rangers, beastmasters especially, so I don't know if I can get quite as worked up. But in my own experience many aquatic games still have plenty of land-based adventuring, so needing to swap your beast out every time you want to go dig up some buried treasure or investigate an island seems needlessly restrictive. Which, to be fair, is on brand for the beastmaster, but that doesn't make it good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

So, what exactly stops you from using Ranger's Companion instead of the variant and getting actual giant crab if you want to have a crab?
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, I agree, that was a screwup.

Beastmaster characters often want a persistant companion. A naval themed companion - turtle, crab, even octopus - that is usable on land, but better in water, should be what they aimed for.

Instead we get an unusable on land companion.

I guess that is what happens when they get an intern to add features to a UA article before publishing.

And just don't use it people; the point of this variant was that the baseline animal companions didn't work well. Saying "use the ones that didn't work well" isn't productive, and having that argument here is redundant.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

So can anyone tell me why having a 5ft speed on land makes the Beast of the Sea unusable?

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfClericGuy

Words mean things.

For the creature to be "unusable" it would need to have errors or contradictions in the stat block that keep it from working within the rules.

Beast of the Sea does not have that problem.

"I don't like it" is very different from "unusable".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    And just don't use it people; the point of this variant was that the baseline animal companions didn't work well. Saying "use the ones that didn't work well" isn't productive, and having that argument here is redundant.
    Well, by your words, the other option is "unusable". If one option is 'unusable', the one that 'doesn't work well' is still better.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Yes, I agree, that was a screwup.

Beastmaster characters often want a persistant companion. A naval themed companion - turtle, crab, even octopus - that is usable on land, but better in water, should be what they aimed for.

Instead we get an unusable on land companion.

I guess that is what happens when they get an intern to add features to a UA article before publishing.

They allow you to change beast type freely on long rest, this seems more like a "hey an aquatic section, I have something for this!" rather than an option you're meant to take all of the time. It gives the Beast Master versatility to approach problems that isn't packaged inside a spell for a change, that's a feature not a bug.

Edit: It's not even like you're without options, if you find the 5ft on land crippling at some point and can't change it right then and there then just cast Longstrider on the beast and have it dash up to 30 to keep up.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-11-20 at 09:57 AM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Am I the only one who loves the idea of a backpack octopus?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

24. - Top - End - #24

I honestly don't see the issue at all. It's a great option when you know you'll be spending time in water. Sure there'll be times when you think you'll need a water companion, but then you want a land beast, but the unexpected happens all the time in D&D. Heck, there are many times my Cleric doesn't have the right spell prepared for the day, because they weren't aware they'd need it.

If you're really worried, on days where you get the beast of the sea, also prepare Longstrider. Now you have a 15ft moving sea creature. If it uses it's action to dash, it's moving just fine.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Not at all! I was thinking of having a big wagon with a tank of water that the party hauls along on adventures. An "aquatic RV", if you will.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Hermit-background character with an hermit Crab backpack.

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Hermit-background character with an hermit Crab backpack.
    Hermit-background Warforged who has been chosen as a hermit crab's shell?
    Characters:
    None right now!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really have a horse in this race, since I've never really been interested in playing a ranger (although this might be in part due its reputation as a weaker class), but after thinking about it a bit more, here's how I would have probably done it:

You have one default creature with a 30 foot walking speed. You then have a series of customization options, sort of like feats or invocations, that you can slap on. Some of these customizations just make the creature stronger, faster, or tougher, but others add animal-themed abilities. One might give a swim speed and underwater breathing, another might give spiderclimbing and the web-related abilities, another might allow them to spit poison, or give them tentacles that grapple on a hit, etc. Once you have the options that mimic the type of creature you have in mind, then you can focus on the options that just make them stronger.

Maybe I should write this up as an actual homebrew. I'd have to do some research into rangers first, though.

29. - Top - End - #29

GnomePirate

If you are the DM, then give it whatever speed you want. Book rules are strictly suggestions on how to run the game

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Sorry, I'm still wondering why an amphibious/semi-amphibious animal like a crab, crocodile, octopus, giant axolotl etc is considered a more niche companion than... a literal fish