New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Power Rangers 5E is happening

https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/...my-little-pony

Power Rangers for D&D 5E is happening.

Hasbro has used other IPs to expand the D&D market for awhile now. Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, etc.

And I have fully expected them to eventually push that same mentality with their other Hasbro owned IPs as well, as they have been doing with Magic: The Gathering.

So here it comes, starting with Power Rangers. And it certainly sounds like GI Joe, My Little Pony, and others won't be far behind.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Power Rangers 5E is happening

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Hasbro has used other IPs to expand the D&D market for awhile now. Rick & Morty, Stranger Things, etc.

And I have fully expected them to eventually push that same mentality with their other Hasbro owned IPs as well, as they have been doing with Magic: The Gathering.

So here it comes, starting with Power Rangers. And it certainly sounds like GI Joe, My Little Pony, and others won't be far behind.
    It aint no april is it?

Oh well, bugger it, let it come. Then I want my 5e Transformers as well, for nostagia's sake.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

So they’re just trying to make MTG the failed ARC system now. That’s a little disappointing actually.

But anyway weird D&D. I will look at them like I look at the MTG books, hopefully they will have a kernel of a mechanic I can develop on my own. The mythic monster idea in Theros is great and I’ve pillaged it for ideas in my own campaign, the religion system is a neat idea that can be easily altered to form any institutional loyalty.

I admit, I’m not seeing much I would want from a Power Rangers book. Megazords I will not be using. But there’s a chance that the shows martial arts focus will get them to finally develop an interesting martial combat mechanic I can use.

Hey a man can dream.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

By the end of this, any table that allows "all officially published content" can have a party of:

Half Elf Bard
    Snake Eyes
    Bumblebee
    Twilight Sparkle
    Green Ranger

And it'd all be legitimately content.

I say: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/92/60...5366637928.gif

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I don't see anything that links this news explicitly to D&D 5th edition. There are plenty of other Roleplaying Games currently at their 5th edition, not just D&D. Vampire: The Masquerade for one.

Care to elaborate what makes you think this 5th Edition compatibility refers to D&D?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-09-30 at 09:35 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

As if we needed anything to add to the public's perception that D&D players are nothing but teenagers with attitude.

Joke aside, I am both:

-saddened by the fact Hasbro/WotC has decided to forget the lesson the 3.X era punched them in the face with about how D&D is NOT an universal system and shouldn't be approached as one.

-amazed at the pants-on-head, deliciously cheesy craziness this will bring.

So I can't help but laugh and say "bring it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The mythic monster idea in Theros is great and I’ve pillaged it for ideas in my own campaign, the religion system is a neat idea that can be easily altered to form any institutional loyalty.
    So one could say you used it to make your monsters grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I don't see anything that links this news explicitly to D&D 5th edition. There are plenty of other Roleplaying Games currently at their 5th edition, not just D&D. Vampire: The Masquerade for one.

Care to elaborate what makes you think this 5th Edition compatibility refers to D&D?
    Vampire: The Masquerade isn't owned by Hasbro, nor are those other RPGs. To my knowledge, at least.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-09-30 at 09:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

....Common sense?

What part of partnering "expanding partnership with WOTC" and "First up will be a 5th Edition compatible Power Rangers Role Playing Game" is vague here?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I actively dislike Power Rangers, but I know what a juggernaut the brand has been. And Hasbro is just Hasbro, looking for returns on that half-billion investment. I guess I have to admit surprise that this didn't happen sooner.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

By the end of this, any table that allows "all officially published content" can have a party of:

Half Elf Bard
    Snake Eyes
    Bumblebee
    Twilight Sparkle
    Green Ranger

And it'd all be legitimately content.
    At least we can finally have Twilight Sparkle as a Celestial Warlock.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

....Common sense?

What part of partnering "expanding partnership with WOTC" and "First up will be a 5th Edition compatible Power Rangers Role Playing Game" is vague here?
    The link you provided in the OP has a whole zero mentions of WOTC, Wizards of the Coast or Dungeons & Dragons. As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition. D&D is not the only one, that's what I'm saying.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Not a thing I ever got into nor cared for, and neither of my kids latched onto to it, so this leaves me cold. For those who like MMPR, cool, fun the heck out of it.

Darksun? For that I might get excited.

I am with Unoriginal on this point:
    ... the lesson the 3.X era punched them in the face with about how D&D is NOT an universal system and shouldn't be approached as one.
    Yep. How soon they forget...
    As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition.
    Heh, MMPR and VtM? Interesting hybrid of concepts, to be sure.

I am still waiting for that movie where Wesley Snipes/Blade meets the emo-Vampires of the Twilight series.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-30 at 09:55 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The link you provided in the OP has a whole zero mentions of WOTC, Wizards of the Coast or Dungeons & Dragons. As far as I can see, 5th edition compatible Power Ranges Role Playing Game could refer to any role playing game. Yes, it could be D&D, but just as well it could be some other game. Vampire 5th edition was only an example of another RPG that has a 5th edition. D&D is not the only one, that's what I'm saying.
    Name another Hasbro owned property, aside from WOTC, that has a 5th Edition role playing game.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-03 at 11:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yep. How soon they forget...
    Well, arguably it wasn't "soon", it took them two editions and the better part of two decades.

My guess is that a new set of corporate suit took over and decided to make the grand announcement last week or so that Hasbro would be doubling the money it's betting on that whole RPG thing, without realizing what they were doing.

In other words:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Well, arguably it wasn't "soon", it took them two editions and the better part of two decades.

My guess is that a new set of corporate suit took over and decided to make the grand announcement last week or so that Hasbro would be doubling the money it's betting on that whole RPG thing, without realizing what they were doing.

In other words:

First: Yes more Willy Wonka gifs, please. Gene Wilder only.

Secondly, to be clear, although I made the topic regarding the boss saying they want to double the revenue over the next 5 years, that was stated back in February, IIRC during a shareholders meeting. I just never saw it. Unless you're referring to a different statement?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Name another Hasbro owned property, aside from WOTC, that has a 5th Edition role playing game.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    That doesn't make it an "Official" product...this is a deal for a Third Party Producer to secure the licensing rights to Hasbro IP.

Not WotC IP...and there is a difference, subtle as it may be.

Yes, the 5e referred to is D&D, but the SRD already exists.

3PP is already produced, that has nothing to do with Hasbro or WotC, beyond what is available for public use in the SRD.

Wasn't there a DC comic that made a 5e Compatible RPG book?

jaapleton, per your other Thread, if this were part of the forthcoming surge of products, we would expect to see WotC handle it. WotC is not though, this is a mere Licensing Deal.

jaapleton, has stated that they started D&D with 5e.

Game Designer Jonathan Tweet once penned a great article about the demise of TSR. Overproducing product and product lines, can split your customer base and destroy profitability.

This is what happened to TSR.

Why did it happen?
    It happened because D&D became Super Popular in the 1980s, and the company recklessly produced vast quantities of a bunch (really a bunch) of different stuff.

If Hasbro has no concern about D&D's future, and about the capacity of the customer base to absorb new product, a short term strategy of:
    "More Product, MORE SALES"....
    ....……….....................................Can kill a game.

Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products, at some point.

Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death. I'm not saying that is likely but, mismanagement is possible....just Look at Easter Island...(or the country below Canada, but above Mexico).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-03 at 11:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satori01 View Post
    That doesn't make it an "Official" product...this is a deal for a Third Party Producer to secure the licensing rights to Hasbro IP.

Not WotC IP...and there is a difference, subtle as it may be.

Yes, the 5e referred to is D&D, but the SRD already exists.

3PP is already produced, that has nothing to do with Hasbro or WotC, beyond what is available for public use in the SRD.

Wasn't there a DC comic that made a 5e Compatible RPG book?

As per you other post, if this were part of the surge of products, he would expect to see WotC handle it. WotC is not though, this is a mere Licensing Deal.

jaapleton, has stated that they started D&D with 5e.

Game Designer Jonathan Tweet once penned a great article about the demise of TSR. Overproducing product and product lines, can split your customer base and destroy profitability.

This is what happened to TSR.

Why did it happen, because D&D became Super Popular in the 1980s, and the company recklessly produced vast quantities of a bunch of a bunch of different stuff.

If Hasbro has no concern about D&D's future, and about the capacity of the customer base to absorb new product, a short term strategy of:
    "More Product, MORE SALES"....
    ....……….....................................Can kill a game.

Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products.

Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death. I'm not saying that is likely but, mismanagement is possible....just Look at Easter Island...(or the country below Canada, but above Mexico).
    Emphasis mine.

Not sure how long you've been attempting to compile information on me, but I started with 4E. Not 5E.

Additionally, Hasbro, as the parent company of WOTC, would be the ones to make this announcement. Not WOTC.

Specifically in what universe would it make sense for Hasbro, which owns WOTC and therefore owns D&D, to have this partnership but not make it an official product?

You are aware crossovers exist specifically to get people interested in the other thing, right? Like the Rick & Morty crossover was so D&D fans might get into R&M, and R&M fans might get into D&D. That's very specifically why these business deals are done, they are done for giggles.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

MMPR is good material to make into a game.

But I'm more intrigued by a Transformers 5e...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly. Good. Anything is better than more MtG crossovers at this point.

Haven't watched Power Rangers since the early 2000s when I was a kid, but I hope they make something good.

With the trend of adding new whacky character creation options in the last few books, I can totally see them having some sort of Boon system depending on what ranger color the players choose. Maybe there's going to be a new way of segmenting adventures, in a sort of school life/after school dichotomy. Roleplay and interact with NPCs during the day and then fight monsters at night.

IDK if they'll continue on transferring things like the Cartoon Horse Program or GI Joe into 5e, though. They'll probably want to have a wait-and-see approach depending on how the Power Rangers product will sell/push the brand.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Personally, I actively dislike Power Rangers, but I know what a juggernaut the brand has been. And Hasbro is just Hasbro, looking for returns on that half-billion investment. I guess I have to admit surprise that this didn't happen sooner.
    I'm with ya. I opened my dojo in the mid 90's with a friend of mine, who was ex military. He taught the guys, while I focused on women's & children's self defense. I was constantly having to break bad habits and expectations from kids who thought the power rangers moves were the real thing. that may have actually tested my patience more than any of my own training.

Yeah, I loathe the power rangers.
    Rule 0: What the DM says goes.
    Rule 0.5: What the DM says goes. And if the DM says enough dumb **** the players go too.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Emphasis mine.

Not sure how long you've been attempting to compile information on me, but I started with 4E. Not 5E.

Additionally, Hasbro, as the parent company of WOTC, would be the ones to make this announcement. Not WOTC.

Specifically in what universe would it make sense for Hasbro, which owns WOTC and therefore owns D&D, to have this partnership but not make it an official product?

You are aware crossovers exist specifically to get people interested in the other thing, right? Like the Rick & Morty crossover was so D&D fans might get into R&M, and R&M fans might get into D&D. That's very specifically why these business deals are done, they are done for giggles.
    My apologies I misremembered the edition you started with. I also want to point out, that you posted your D&D curriculum vitae in this public forum, since you just made my paying attention to your posts, creepy.

(Thanks for that, BTW. :)....Should I just not read your posts?)

When I was a teenager back in the late 80's/ Early 90's, I, just like you are now, would respond back with idealism and say "why would any well run business recklessly endanger themselves?"

The answer, that life and history teaches is: sometimes business that appear to be well run are not.

Hopefully that is not the case, now....but it was the case for TSR.

Go read, research and confirm the history, for yourself.

I lived through it. So denying that what I am describing actually happened, is rude.

Also TSR did not license their IP....the company- in house produced FR, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Mystara, and a whole host of other D&D worlds.....TSR produced so many different lines of D&D that fans split off and only bought what they were invested in. Instead of books like the PHB, that everyone buys....you get books that only sell to a fraction of the D&D audience.

If that is handled poorly, profitability will suffer, and did suffer for TSR.

Hopefully Hasbro will fare better, but never assume past success automatically translates to future success.
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-09-30 at 11:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Most people that have played D&D, are playing D&D, or will play D&D are likely going to be casual players...that will also stop buying D&D products, at some point.
    Or slow their rate of purchase.
    Hasbro might very well be planning to harvest as much money as possible before the game's death.
    If I may misquote Mark Twain: the reports of D&D's (looming) demise are greatly exaggerated.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

My apologies I misremembered the edition you started with. I also want to point out, that you posted your D&D curriculum vitae in this public forum, since you just made my paying attention to your posts, creepy.

(Thanks for that, BTW. :)....Should I just not read your posts?)

When I was a teenager back in the late 80's/ Early 90's, I, just like you are now, would respond back with idealism and say "why would any well run business recklessly endanger themselves?"
    At no point did I ask any of that.

Additionally, I'm 32.

See Tawmis's post already confirming that this is officially happening, like it or not.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Or slow their rate of purchase.
    If I may misquote Mark Twain: the reports of D&D's (looming) demise are greatly exaggerated.
    I certainly hope so, but history is a useful sign post for the future.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    2020 really seems like the year we entered a world of pure imagination.

Secondly, to be clear, although I made the topic regarding the boss saying they want to double the revenue over the next 5 years, that was stated back in February, IIRC during a shareholders meeting. I just never saw it. Unless you're referring to a different statement?
    Oh fair, I thought it was more recent than that.

In spirit of the thread's topic, though, here's a little song:

Uno rigi nalpety doo
    I've got a perfect puzzle for you
    Uno rigi nalpety dee
    If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get when new crossovers hit
    Fitting as much as our big clown shoes fit
    Players aghast, Mighty Morphin' cast
    That money sink will come dow fast
    I don't like the look of it

Uno rigi nalpety da
    If you're that greedy, you won't go far
    You will regret 2020 too
    Like the Uno rigi nalpety do
    Nalpety do

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

For the record, G4 MLP already has an official TRPG:

Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar), with G5 on the way.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

At no point did I ask any of that.

Additionally, I'm 32.

See Tawmis's post already confirming that this is officially happening, like it or not.
    Great, then you have excellent research skills and can look up the Jonathan Tweet article...it is a good read.

Folks, you seem to be reading my caution as disapproval.
    It is not.

I am happy for an expanded release schedule. I am happy for more D&D worlds, but there is also risk.

I also standby my impression, that this is a 3PP Licensing Deal.

Edit: I wish there were "Thumbs up" buttons..unoriginal's song made me guffaw!
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-09-30 at 11:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I also standby my impression, that this is a 3PP Licensing Deal.
    https://www.geeknative.com/96553/pow...games-planned/

"Renegade Games Studios who have a partnership with Hasbro for the 2018 Renegade Game Studios Power Rangers: Heroes of The Grid board game today announced an expansion of that relationship.

The first game from the pair will be the Power Rangers Role Playing Game which will use Dungeon & Dragon’s 5e system, which Hasbro owns through Wizards of the Coast. Renegade have their own systems in games like Outbreak, Overlight, and the popular Kids on Bikes but these won’t be used for Power Rangers."

That sounds a little more official to me.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Monk subclass Way of the Sentai lets goooooooooooooooooooooo.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)