New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Introducing Planegea, a Stone Age setting for 5E

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster, so I hope I'm doing this right.

For the past year or so, I've been working on a prehistoric campaign setting for 5E, built on kinetic action, primordial horror, and kinetic action. It's a world where the planes of existence haven't separated yet, where proto-gods are still developing, where kraken cults and Stone Age lava vampires vie for power in a raw, rugged land. It's a world where elves are half-dream, dwarves are half-stone, full of shamans and sorcerers, druids and barbarians, where the clanfire is sacred and the wilderness is ever-shifting and ever-hungry.

If that sounds appealing to you, take a look at the quickstart guide I've put together: Whispers of Planegea.

I'd love to know what you think!
    Last edited by smrvl; 2021-02-04 at 11:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Introducing Planegea, a Stone Age setting for 5E

Link's broken, you're missing the colon after https.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh man, THANK YOU!! Fixed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

This looks super interesting! I am just starting to look through it but like the flavor; have you been able to playtest in the setting yet?
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

You're welcome. I've given it a look over and it seems really good. I was actually planning on creating a stone age setting myself one of these days, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I really like the themes, how the setting feels, and how the races and regions are portrayed. While the doc itself is polished, it gives the impression of a rough hewn, barely held together land rife with conflicts, horrors, uncertainty, and mysteries that even the wisest don't know the full extent of. I have some questions, but something tells me that they're intentionally left vague for people to dig into on their own (and for possible "splatbooks" later on if you feel like expanding on things).
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    This looks super interesting! I am just starting to look through it but like the flavor; have you been able to playtest in the setting yet?
    Yes!! I've actually run two one-shots in the setting, and there are a bunch of people running campaigns there right now, thanks to a pretty thriving Discord. It seems to work really well!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    You're welcome. I've given it a look over and it seems really good. I was actually planning on creating a stone age setting myself one of these days, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I really like the themes, how the setting feels, and how the races and regions are portrayed. While the doc itself is polished, it gives the impression of a rough hewn, barely held together land rife with conflicts, horrors, uncertainty, and mysteries that even the wisest don't know the full extent of. I have some questions, but something tells me that they're intentionally left vague for people to dig into on their own (and for possible "splatbooks" later on if you feel like expanding on things).
    I'm glad you like it!! Yeah, this is just the cut-down version of a 343-page setting book I've created that'll be Kickstarting later this year. Most things have about 10x as much information as shown in this document, while others (like the Hounds of the Blind Heaven) are left purposefully unexplained, exactly as you suggested.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by smrvl View Post
    Yes!! I've actually run two one-shots in the setting, and there are a bunch of people running campaigns there right now, thanks to a pretty thriving Discord. It seems to work really well!
    That's great! I think I'll check out that discord! How were the Black Taboos in actual play? I am curious about how "No number after nine," "Writing is death," and the lack of currency impacted actual play. They really piqued my interest.
    Last edited by Sam113097; 2021-02-04 at 03:40 PM.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    That's great! I think I'll check out that discord! How were the Black Taboos in actual play? I am curious about how "No number after nine," "Writing is death," and the lack of currency impacted actual play. They really piqued my interest.
    Great question! For the games I've run, I've really enjoyed them as a way of introducing ambiguity (it's many hours from here, you see many enemies), and as a way of creating unusual problems to solve (how do we interpret these messages that aren't writing?). There are a lot of people who prefer to nix the Black Taboos and run the world without them—it works both ways, depending on where the fun is for your table!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

This looks cool from what I've read so far
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)