New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Periodic Table of Elementals (again)

As you appear to have already figured out, radioactive materials are basically poisons. They get into the body somehow (thus why a radiation suit doesn't actually need to stop radiation*, just the actual atoms). It is just that the damaging effect of a given atom (or radioactive element containing molecule if you want to look at it that way) occurs when it decays rather than when it participates in a certain chemical reaction or chain of reactions.
    *The really nasty stuff is the alpha particles I think, and those generally don't even make it through the skin (unless maybe you are dealing with the entire sun spitting them out in a solar flare?).

Summoned venomous creatures still inflict their secondary damage with their poison, even if the creature has vanished by that time.

So their is a little bit of wiggle room on venoms disappearing at the end of summoing spells, and I would say you should go with that, since it makes things a bit more interesting.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    *The really nasty stuff is the alpha particles I think, and those generally don't even make it through the skin (unless maybe you are dealing with the entire sun spitting them out in a solar flare?).
    Yeah, alphas can't go through skin, which is part of the reason why they're so dangerous if they get into your body.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As you appear to have already figured out, radioactive materials are basically poisons.
    At least, the synthetic nuclides which are stable enough to be long-term problems are. What I've got to worry about is different.

Let's say one were to summon a 30kg Fr-223 Elemental (which is a thousand times how much Francium even exists on Earth, by the way). With a half-life of just 22 minutes, that's FOUR BILLION Terabecquerels of radioactive material, on the order of a hundred times as much as Chernobyl's total fallout. (Granted, it certainly won't be a few days from now, but we're more concerned with a few rounds from now here.)

The total output of power is 750 MW, as much as a large power plant. The slightest touch from this thing would kill you, if you weren't already dead from the heat.

Heck, nobody can really say would would happen if you did this. It might rip itself apart in a nuclear fireball for all we know.

In contrast, other radioactive elements like Technetium might not produce enough radiation to even cause cancer (in the short duration of summons).

So, I've got to seriously reassess my approach here.
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2013-02-11 at 01:13 AM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Make the call that wizards simply don't summon certain elementals, as they have noticed colleges that summon from certain ellements die inexplicably, due to strange growths, poisoning, or spontainous combustion as with Fr. [It's the same reasoning as not summoning a large Uranium elemental. A wizard did it, there was a really large crator, god said uhh-huh. Undid time, and now whenever a wizard tries it, they see what would have happened if said god didn't intervene and set up a permanent anti-spel [Summon U-233 [I think] Ellelmental]l, which also wracked the wizard with one hell of a migrane.]
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

make the summon for most radioactive elementals be either fine or tiny. Allow Uranium elementals to be summoned though, and make them have say, 10% (way above natural) U-235.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #36

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    Make the call that wizards simply don't summon certain elementals, as they have noticed colleges that summon from certain ellements die inexplicably, due to strange growths, poisoning, or spontainous combustion as with Fr.
    Well, the way it is with radiation (especially of the alpha variety) is that either you're (mostly) safe as long as you don't touch the radioactive stuff, or everyone for 20 miles is going to find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    It's the same reasoning as not summoning a large Uranium elemental. A wizard did it, there was a really large crator, god said uhh-huh.
    A large Uranium Elemental wouldn't be all that different from a large Earth Elemental. Even an Implosion spell wouldn't be enough to set it off.

And even if it did reach critical mass, it wouldn't be much bigger than a large conventional explosion: without a bomb casing to contain the reaction, the forces involved tear the core apart before it can really get intense.

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    make the summon for most radioactive elementals be either fine or tiny.
    So, that'd be going down from 100 Chernobyls' worth of fallout to just one Chernobyl's worth?

Allow Uranium elementals to be summoned though, and make them have say, 10% (way above natural) U-235.
    Still probably won't detonate, unless you cast Implosion on it.

Don't see a reason why to break from Natural Abundances, though; especially when there's plenty of elements with larger nuclear fission cross-sections than Uranium.

Man, everyone seems obsessed with "Radioactive Uranium", aren't they?

The truth is that Uranium is the second-stablest element past Bismuth (which is probably why there's enough of it around to use in reactors and bombs). I'd frankly be more worried of it for its chemical toxicity than its radiation.

But this has made me look at the critical masses of fissionable nuclides, which I'd been neglecting earlier. Now I see that any significant amount of most actinide nuclides would be a super-critical mass.

But... All of this is getting in the way of the original project; namely the sevendy-something stable elements. Time to get back to work, I guess...

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Don't see a reason why to break from Natural Abundances, though; especially when there's plenty of elements with larger nuclear fission cross-sections than Uranium.
    because a summon that deals 100d6 damage/round to everything near (at least 100 feet) it and that slags any structure it is in is almost as funny as having a wizard accedentally summon a nuke.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

A large Uranium Elemental wouldn't be all that different from a large Earth Elemental. Even an Implosion spell wouldn't be enough to set it off.

And even if it did reach critical mass, it wouldn't be much bigger than a large conventional explosion: without a bomb casing to contain the reaction, the forces involved tear the core apart before it can really get intense.

Man, everyone seems obsessed with "Radioactive Uranium", aren't they?

The truth is that Uranium is the second-stablest element past Bismuth (which is probably why there's enough of it around to use in reactors and bombs). I'd frankly be more worried of it for its chemical toxicity than its radiation.
    I'll trust you.
    However, as for regarding it more for explosive potential than poison is that Uranium is the sterotypical bomb of big bad death, How many people actually research it as a poison?
    I mean, sure, I know hydrogen can produce similar explosions, but its not the first thing I reach for.

And on a thought, any chance of making anti-ellementals? [Mostly said as a joke.]
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

For Uranium, I would look at depleted uranium in its uses as a projectile, including why the lower calibers are banned in some international agreements.

Short version, its attacks should probably deal Bludgeoning OR Slashing (the elemental picks with each attack, just as with a weapon that deals that deals that mix of damage). If you want to keep it simpler, say that the summoner needs to decide which shape of arms they are going to summon them with, thus making the choice only once.

If it deals slashing then we are looking at why it is banned in smaller caliber ammunition (it tends to fragment, and the fragments have sharp edges, so they are a bit too hard for the surgeons to treat, plus traces of radioactivity maybe). As such I would give it the wounding and keen properties for flavor. You could even say that it deals a small fixed amount of damage to the elemental with each attack, or each attack that hits. Probably nothing more than 10% of its average hitpoints though.

If it deals bludgeoning it... maybe ignores deflection bonuses to armor class and halves all damage reduction other than X/- ? This is based around the idea of why it is effective against armor (or even AS armor in some cases). Basically it is really dense, which means a lot of kinetic energy per area, meaning it loses a smaller percentage of its energy to air drag, and is more likely to make it through tank armor and theoretically better energy transfer per inch of barrel length*.
    *Theoretically because the projection in sabot round is smaller than the barrel diameter, which is why it need the sabot (AKA "Shoe"**) to carry them out of the barrel. Point being, I can't say for sure if the part that actually strikes the target is heavier or lighter for sabot than for the various explosive rounds.
    **Which is also the root word for "sabotage" because of people throwing shoes into machines that were putting them out of work, or something like that.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

because a summon that deals 100d6 damage/round to everything near (at least 100 feet) it and that slags any structure it is in is almost as funny as having a wizard accedentally summon a nuke.
    Then see the Francium Elemental, above.

(Of if you're looking for the nuke, try a Plutonium Elemental.)

For Uranium, I would look at depleted uranium in its uses as a projectile, including why the lower calibers are banned in some international agreements.
    I'm judging each element in a relative manner, mainly based on macroscopic physical properties. All the work I've been doing behind the scenes so far has been making sure that no two Elementals have the same stat block.

Adding qualities that are unique to specific Elementals is the last step, and I'll only be doing so in special cases. (And Uranium spalling frankly isn't special enough.)

I see that I really need to get some stat blocks out here, so that you guys can see what I'm doing. (I've so far had a hard time committing to anything.)

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, I would have thought that having unique special qualities would be MORE important than having unique everything else.

Or some mixture of the two, so that you don't get too esoteric of special properties.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-02-13 at 03:07 PM.
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfClericGuy

Huh, I would have thought that having unique special qualities would be MORE important than having unique everything else.

Or some mixture of the two, so that you don't get too esoteric of special properties.
    They are, but the vast majority of elements are metals, with fairly similar properties.

It's easy with the nonmetals: Nitrogen, Oxygen, Sulfur, and Phosphorus are vastly different from each other. But what separates Ruthenium from Rhodium, Osmium from Iridium, Palladium from Silver, or Platinum from Gold? Bismuth from Tellurium? Niobium from Molybdenum from Tantalum from Tungsten from Rhenium? Or any of the Rare Earth Elements from one another?

So far, only a few elements have had properties that immediately stand out as extraordinary. Thallium is one of them, being highly toxic and contact poison to boot. Most others aren't so unique.

I want to keep this "hard" fiction, so I'm not willing to make stuff up or exaggerate minor details. But I've still got ways...

Come to think of it... Utilizing Uranium's self-sharpening was a good idea, after all. I'm just unsure of the precise execution. If any of you have other ideas for hard-science stuff for the elementals, feel free to suggest them.

(PS: I'm still doing work on this, but it's all in Excel. I don't want to spend the work to port it to a forum-friendly format until I'm mostly done.)

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

They are, but the vast majority of elements are metals, with fairly similar properties.

<<Snip further explanation of this point>>

Come to think of it... Utilizing Uranium's self-sharpening was a good idea, after all. I'm just unsure of the precise execution. If any of you have other ideas for hard-science stuff for the elementals, feel free to suggest them.
    Sounds good.
    (PS: I'm still doing work on this, but it's all in Excel. I don't want to spend the work to port it to a forum-friendly format until I'm mostly done.)
    I can be patient.
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #44

DwarfClericGuy

Here, I figured out a way to do it fast:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]A||||||||||||
    A1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    3|I|17|10|10|4|Medium|||nil|nil|nil|gaseous form
    5|Be|21|12|14|4|Medium|||||30|toxic
    6|Sb|25|14|19|6|Large||||nil|10|
    7|As|31|15|19|8|Huge||||nil|10|
    8|Ge|33|17|17|8|Large||||nil|nil|
    9|Si|35|17|17|10|Huge||||5|nil|swim in sand
    ||||||||||||
    B||||||||||||
    B1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    3|Te|15|8|15|4|Small||||nil||
    4|Bi|17|8|17|4|Medium||||nil|5|
    5|Mn|20|8|18|4|Medium||||nil|5|
    6|Co|23|8|21|6|Large||||5|25|
    7|Zn|27|8|23|6|Huge|||nil|nil|25|
    8|Fe|29|8|23|8|Huge|||nil|10|20|
    9|Os|31|8|23|10|Huge|||inf|30|20|
    ||||||||||||
    C||||||||||||
    C1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    5|Zr|20|12|15|4|Medium||||15|10|
    6|Hf|24|12|17|6|Large||||20|10|
    7|Ti|28|12|19|6|Huge|||30|15|10|
    ||||||||||||
    C2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex~Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    5|Mg|21|12|17|4|Medium|||vul|vul|25|
    6|Al|23|14|17|6|Medium|||20|0|30|
    ||||||||||||
    D||||||||||||
    D1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>>Dex (-Size)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    5|Rh|21|8|17|4|Small|||30|15|25|
    6|Ta|25|8|19|6|Small||||30|15|
    7|Ru|29|8|21|6|Medium||||20|20|
    8|Re|31|8|21|8|Medium|||inf|30|15|
    9|W|33|8|21|10|Large||||inf|25|
    ||||||||||||
    D2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    5|Ni|19|8|19|4|Medium|||5|5|20|
    6|V|21|8|23|6|Large||||15|10|
    7|Mo|27|8|23|6|Huge||||25|25|
    8|Cr|29|8|23|8|Huge|||10|15|15|
    9|Ir|31|8|23|10|Huge|||inf|25|25|
    ||||||||||||
    E||||||||||||
    E1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    5|Sn|21|10|17||Large|||0|0|20|vuln to cold
    6|Cu|25|12|17||Large|||10|0|inf|
    7|Nb|27|12|19||Huge|||20|25|15|
    8||29|16|19||||||||
    9|U|31|12|21|||||nil|vul|10|
    ||||||||||||
    F||||||||||||
    F1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>>Str>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    5|In|15|8|23|4|Medium|Great Fortitude, Power attack|5*|nil|nil|20|DR 5/Slashing
    6|Pb|17|8|27|4|Large|Cleave|5||0|10|
    7|Ag|19|8|31|6|Huge|Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5|20|0|inf|
    8|Au|21|8|31|8|Huge|Improved Overrun, Alertness;|10|30|0|30|
    9|Tl||||||Improved Critical|||10|15|Highly Toxic
    ||||||||||||
    F2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>Str>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    5|Ca|17|8|21|4|Medium|Power Attack, Cleave||vul|vul|30|
    6|Cd|19|8|25|4|Large|Great Cleave|5||0|20|
    7|Pd|21|8|29|6|Huge|Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5|20|10|20|
    8|Pt|23|8|29|8|Huge|Improved Sunder, Alertness;|10|30|15|20|
    9|Th|25|8||10||Awesome Blow|||15|15|
    ||||||||||||
    G||||||||||||
    G1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con~Dex~Str (++Dam)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    5|Li||||||||vul|vul|20|
    6|Na|||||||5|vul|vul|25|
    7|K|||||||5|vul|vul|20|
    ||||||||||||
    G2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con~Dex (+Dam)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    6|Sr|||||||5|vul|vul|15|
    7|Ba|||||||5|vul|vul|10|
    8|Ra|||||||10|vul|vul|5|
    ||||||||||||
    E||||||||||||
    E1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>>Con~Str; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    1|He|||||Tiny|||inf|1/2|0|
    3|Ne|||||Small|||inf|1/2|0|
    5|Ar|||||Medium|||inf|1/2|0|
    6|Kr|||||Large||5|inf|1/2|0|
    7|N|||||Huge||5|inf|0|0|
    8|Rn|||||||10|inf|1/2|0|
    9|Xe|||||||10|inf|1/2|0|
    ||||||||||||
    E3||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>Str~Con (+Dam?); Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    1|H|||||Tiny|||inf|vul|vul|
    6|Cl|||||Large|||inf|X|nil|+acid dam
    8|O|||||Huge|||inf|X|nil|Rust&Fire
    9|F||||||||inf|X|nil|+acid&fire dam
    ||||||||||||
    F||||||||||||
    F1||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex>Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    5|Ga||||||||||15|
    6|Br||||||||inf||nil|
    7|Hg||||||||10||5|
    8|Rb||||||||vul||15|
    9|Cs||||||||vul||10|
    ||||||||||||
    F2||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex~Str>Con; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    5|Se||||||||20|nil|??|photoconductive
    6|S|19|21|16|6|Large|||||vul|
    7|P||||6||||||20|
    8|B||||8|Large|||||nil|
    9|C|27|29|18|10|Huge|||||nil|[/table]

The numbers running down the left are the levels of "Summon Monster ___" each Elemental will be at, and the letters are indicating groups of elements with similar stat blocks. This is just a rough grouping, mind you, and most of these stats are numbers I just threw out without much thought.

If you notice, I've been assigning acid, fire, and electricity resistances to every elemental. This is one of the ways I hope to differentiate the elements in a scientifically-accurate manner.

So far on fire resistance, I've been looking primarily for melting points. Everything with any fire resistance at all melts at >1300°C (the temperature of molten rock). Stuff with 20 or more melts at >2000°C (the inside of a blast furnace), and 30s would resist most blowtorches. I'd like to go back and remove anything which is combustible, but I haven't been able to find a good source for that.

Resistance to Electricity is, ironically, based on electrical conductivity. (I'm assuming electrical attacks are current-limited, not voltage-limited.) This one's pretty well set, unless I want to go back and reduce the resistances of metals which might ignite because of a lightning bolt.

Acid resistance has been the hardest for me to determine. I would like to base it (no pun intended) off of which of the following the metal will not react with: Hydrochloric Acid, Nitric Acid, Sulfuric Acid, and Aqua Regia. I haven't been able to find much data at all for this, though.

So, there you have it. Your first look at what I've been doing the past few weeks. (Or, at least the last week; I've still got several pages of paper notes from the weeks before.) This is by no means final in any way; pretty much everything on that chart is subject to change.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Will Cadnium have power attack (I think it is a prerequisite for cleave and great cleave)? I assume you only left out Cleave for simplicity?
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfClericGuy

Will Cadnium have power attack (I think it is a prerequisite for cleave and great cleave)? I assume you only left out Cleave for simplicity?
    It's part of the shorthand I was using in that sheet. Each elemental has all the feats from earlier in the same contiguous group.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

I like the table, it's very neat and readable! That's some brilliant work, geordnet!

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zireael View Post
    I like the table, it's very neat and readable! That's some brilliant work, geordnet!
    Hm? Oh, well there's still a ton of work left to do. I've realized I need to do more research and get things sorted out with the resistances/immunities affecting CR as well. I haven't worked on it for a while though, but I might come back to the project soon...

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

A key for all the abbreviations you are using in the columns for the energy types would be good.
    You have: X, inf, vul, nil, and (numbers).
    I would think that "nil" would mean you have conclusively decided there will be no special interactions. "vul" is obviously 50% more damage (unless it is double or undecided between the two), "inf" probably stands for "infinite resistance" IE immunity, but I don't know what X is then. Does X mean healed by the energy type?

I realize that the table may be mostly for your own benefit, but taking 5 minutes to make us a key could really help all concerned, including getting you more feedback.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2013-03-03 at 01:04 PM.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #50

DwarfClericGuy

A key for all the abbreviations you are using in the columns for the energy types would be good.
    You have: X, inf, vul, nil, and (numbers).
    I would think that "nil" would mean you have conclusively decided there will be no special interactions. "vul" is obviously 50% more damage (unless it is double or undecided between the two), "inf" probably stands for "infinite resistance" IE immunity, but I don't know what X is then. Does X mean healed by the energy type?

I realize that the table may be mostly for your own benefit, but taking 5 minutes to make us a key could really help all concerned, including getting you more feedback.
    You've got it more or less right. X in this case is only on Fire Resistance for O, Cl, and F elementals, which are all oxidizing agents. I'm not certain what to do with those, actually...

I've done a new iteration of design now, and I think that Fire Resistance and Electric Resistance are mostly settled:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]I||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER :|
    3|I|17|10|10|4|Medium||||0|0|gaseous form
    5|Be|21|12|14|4|Medium||||0|inf|toxic; sonic resist
    6|Sb|25|14|19|6|Large||||0|inf|
    7|As|31|15|19|8|Huge||||0|inf|
    8|Ge|33|17|17|8|Large||||0|5|
    9|Si|35|17|17|10|Huge||||5|5|swim in sand
    ||||||||||||
    II||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    5|Mn|20|8|18|4|Medium||||0|inf|
    6|Co|23|8|21|6|Large||||5|inf|
    7|Zn|27|8|23|6|Huge||||0|inf|
    8|Fe|29|8|23|8|Huge||||10|inf|
    9|Os|31|8|23|10|Huge||||40|inf|
    ||||||||||||
    III||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    2|Y|||||||||10|inf|
    3|La||||||||||inf|
    4|Ce|||||||||0|inf|
    5|Zr|20|12|15|4|Medium||||15|inf|
    6|Hf|24|12|17|6|Large||||20|inf|
    7|Ti|28|12|19|6|Huge||||15|inf|
    ||||||||||||
    IV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex~Con|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    2|Nd|||||||||0|inf|
    3|Pr|||||||||0|inf|
    4|Sc|||||||||10|inf|
    5|Mg|21|12|17|4|Medium|||vul|vul|inf|
    6|Al|23|14|17|6|Medium||||0|inf|
    ||||||||||||
    V||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>>Dex (-Size)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    5|Rh|21|8|17|4|Small||||15|inf|
    6|Ta|25|8|19|6|Small||||40|inf|
    7|Ru|29|8|21|6|Medium||||20|inf|
    8|Re|31|8|21|8|Medium||||40|inf|
    9|W|33|8|21|10|Large||||50|inf|
    ||||||||||||
    VI||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    2|Ho|||||Tiny||||0|inf|
    3|Er|15|8|15|4|Small||||5|inf|
    4|Lu|17|8|17|4|Medium||||10|inf|
    5|Ni|19|8|19|4|Medium||||5|inf|
    6|V|21|8|23|6|Large||||15|inf|
    7|Mo|27|8|23|6|Huge||||30|inf|
    8|Cr|29|8|23|8|Huge||||15|inf|
    9|Ir|31|8|23|10|Huge||||30|inf|
    ||||||||||||
    VII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str>Con>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    4|Te|||||Medium||||5|10|
    5|Sn|21|10|17||Large||||0|inf|vuln to cold
    6|Cu|25|12|17||Large||||0|inf|
    7|Bi|27|12|19||||||0|inf|
    8|Nb|29|16|19||Huge||||30|inf|
    9|U|31|12|21|||||||inf|pyrophoric
    ||||||||||||
    VIII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>>Str>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR :|ER:|
    5|In|15|8|23|4|Medium|Great Fortitude, Power attack|5*||0|inf|DR 5/Slashing
    6|Pb|17|8|27|4|Large|Cleave|5||0|inf|
    7|Ag|19|8|31|6|Huge|Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5||0|inf|
    8|Au|21|8|31|8|Huge|Improved Overrun, Alertness;|10||0|inf|
    9|Tl||||||Improved Critical|||0|inf|Highly Toxic
    ||||||||||||
    IX||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con>Str>>Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    2|Gd||8||||Power Attack|||5|inf|
    3|Tb||8|||||||0|inf|
    4|Dy||8|||||||5|inf|
    5|Ca|17|8|21|4|Medium|Cleave||vul|vul|inf|
    6|Cd|19|8|25|4|Large|Great Cleave|5||0|inf|
    7|Pd|21|8|29|6|Huge|Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Iron Will|5||10|inf|
    8|Pt|23|8|29|8|Huge|Improved Sunder, Alertness;|10||15|inf|
    9|Th|25|8||10||Awesome Blow||||inf|
    ||||||||||||
    X||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Con~Dex~Str|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER :|
    2|Tm||||||||||inf|+Dam
    3|Yb||||||||vul||inf|+Dam
    5|Li||||||||vul|vul|inf|++Dam
    6|Na|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|++Dam
    7|K|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|++Dam
    ||||||||||||
    XI||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Con~Dex|DR:|AR:|FR:|E R:|
    3|Sm||||||||vul||inf|++Dam
    4|Eu||||||||vul||inf|++Dam
    6|Sr|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
    7|Ba|||||||5|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
    8|Ra|||||||10|vul|vul|inf|+Dam
    ||||||||||||
    XII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>>Con~Str; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    1|He|||||Tiny|||inf||0|
    3|Ne|||||Small|||inf||0|
    5|Ar|||||Medium|||inf||0|
    6|Kr|||||Large||5|inf||0|
    7|N|||||Huge||5|||0|rapid healing
    8|Rn|||||||10|inf||0|
    9|Xe|||||||10|inf||0|
    ||||||||||||
    XIII||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex>Str~Con (+Dam?); Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    1|H|||||Tiny|||inf|vul|vul|
    6|Cl|||||Large|||inf|X|0|+acid dam; poison
    8|O|||||Huge|||inf|X|0|Rust; rapid heal.
    9|F||||||||inf|X|0|+acid&fire dam
    ||||||||||||
    XIV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Str~Dex>Con|DR:|AR:|FR:| ER:|
    5|Ga|||||||||0|inf|
    6|Br||||||||inf|0|0|+dam(oxidizing)
    7|Hg|||||||||0|inf|~mild poison
    8|Rb||||||||vul|vul|inf|+dam(reducing)
    9|Cs||||||||vul|vul|inf|+dam(reducing)
    ||||||||||||
    XV||Str:|Dex:|Con:|Int:||Dex~Str>Con; Weapon Finesse (B)|DR:|AR:|FR:|ER:|
    5|Se|||||||||0|??|photoconductive
    6|S|19|21|16|6|Large||||0|0|
    7|P||||6|||||vul|inf|
    8|B||||8|Large||||20|0|sonic resist
    9|C|27|29|18|10|Huge||||50|20|sonic resist[/table]

I realized that the difference in conductivities between metals may seem big, when put in proper context it's the difference between 0.01% damage and 0.0001% damage. So I just gave out universal Electric Immunity.

Fire Resistance is based on melting points. 5-15 stays solid in molten rock, 20-30 would be cozy in a blast furnace, and 40+ would resist most blowtorches.

For Acid resistance, I'm going to need to cut back a bit...
    I'm probably going to ask around the chemistry department at my university to get a chart for what metals react with what acids, and use that to figure it out.

You'll also notice I grouped up the elements up into blocks better, and added the lanthinides.

All told though, what I most need at the moment is someone who can help me with balancing...
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2013-03-03 at 03:42 PM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Just incase it has not been brought up, and i know this might not count buut...
    Munchkin D20 has the plutonium dragon, and they made radiation damage a seperate thing, and while I cannot find it I do remember they came up with a way for coating your armor with lead, gaining resistance 5 light armor/shields, 10 medium armor, or 15 heavy armor. No I dont think that they mentioned lead being toxic but anyways, I thought that might help :)

P.S. will you be doing silver gold and platinum elementals (aka ooh shiny, lets sell that dead things corpse)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

22. - Top - End - #52

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Just incase it has not been brought up, and i know this might not count buut...
    Munchkin D20 has the plutonium dragon, and they made radiation damage a seperate thing, and while I cannot find it I do remember they came up with a way for coating your armor with lead, gaining resistance 5 light armor/shields, 10 medium armor, or 15 heavy armor. No I dont think that they mentioned lead being toxic but anyways, I thought that might help :)

P.S. will you be doing silver gold and platinum elementals (aka ooh shiny, lets sell that dead things corpse)
    A Plutonium mass that large would detonate. And yes, I have plans for Radiation Damage... But lead sheets wouldn't be useful. Either they aren't needed, or completely pointless. (Radiation from natural decay is nothing at all like the stuff they use in X-Ray machines.)

Summoned creatures disappear when killed or dismissed, and that's no different here. If a GM wants to make one occur 'naturally', and therefore leave remains, then he should be warned that an Au Elemental would probably be either way to much gold for the party to have, or too much of a pushover to be interesting.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Fire Resistance is based on melting points. 5-15 stays solid in molten rock, 20-30 would be cozy in a blast furnace, and 40+ would resist most blowtorches.
    I think you have these backwards. The higher the melting point, the MORE fire resistance it should have.

I assume that on the actual chart you followed that rule.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

I think you have these backwards. The higher the melting point, the MORE fire resistance it should have.
    Isn't that what he said? (Oxyacetylene) blowtorches are crazy hot, and lava is cooler than you'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Isn't that what he said? (Oxyacetylene) blowtorches are crazy hot, and lava is cooler than you'd think.
    The first category starts at 1300°C, which is a bit above the hottest magma can get. The second category starts at 2000°C, which is the temperature inside a blast furnace. The final catagory starts at 2800°C, which is roughly the temperature that an oxy-propane blowtorch burns at.

(Oxyacetylene burns at ~3300°C, but not even that would be enough to melt Tungsten or Carbon.)
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2013-03-05 at 06:03 PM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I am surprised and shamed.

Have a "smarter than a guy with a Mechanical Engineering Degree" point.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfClericGuy

Have a "smarter than a guy with a Mechanical Engineering Degree" point.
    Oh good; I'll put it with all the ones I've gotten from my dad.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This is one of the most interesting things i have seen, what i am wondering is can you brew up some extra things for us? Example: hydrogen elemental hit with a fire attack. Explosion of flames? Useful if sent in then detonated maybe?

29. - Top - End - #59

can't wait to see the dysprosium elemental fully statted out

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by y2kjman View Post
    This is one of the most interesting things i have seen, what i am wondering is can you brew up some extra things for us? Example: hydrogen elemental hit with a fire attack. Explosion of flames? Useful if sent in then detonated maybe?
    Hydrogen burns fast, but that doesn't mean anything unless you pack it into a confined space. It will be vulnerable to fire; anything beyond that will probably have to be ruled ad-hoc by the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by dysprosium View Post
    can't wait to see the dysprosium elemental fully statted out
    Well, I do need to start churning something out, so...

{table]Dysprosium Elemental|Small Elemental (Chemical, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:|3d8+12 (25 hp)
    Initiative:|-1
    Speed:|20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class:| 19 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 19
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+2/+2
    Attack:|Slam +7 melee (1d6+4)
    Full-Attack:|Slam +7 melee (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach:|5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:|Push
    Special Qualities:|Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, electricity immunity, fire resistance 5
    Saves:|Fort +7, Ref +0, Will +1
    Abilities:|Str 17, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills:| Listen +3, Spot +3
    Feats:|Cleave, Power Attack
    Environment:|Summoned (Summon Monster IV)
    Organization:|Solitary
    Challenge Rating:|2
    Treasure:|None
    Alignment:|Always Neutral
    Advancement:| -
    [/table]

Push (Ex):
    A dysprosium elemental can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity.

I'll try to keep myself to this one if I can, so you can take it as the final concept version. I won't change it beyond balancing tweaks unless I decide to start over from scratch. Barring that, however, I should be able to get several more of these out this week.

Which means it's time to start thinking about balance.

I've also written up what I hope will be the final layout of which elementals will be called by each level of Summon Monster/Nature's Ally:

1. H, He
    2. Y, Nd, Ho, Gd, Tm
    3. La, I, Pr, Er, Tb, Yb, Sm, Ne
    4. Ce, Sc, Lu, Ni, Te, Dy, Eu, Pm
    5. Be, Mn, Zr, Mg, Rh, V, Sn, In, Ca, Li, Ar, Ga, Se, Tc
    6. Sb, S, Co, Hf, Al, Ta, Mo, Cu, Pb, Cd, Na, Sr, Kr, Br
    7. As, Zn, Ti, Ru, Cr, Bi, Ag, Pd, K, Ba, N, Hg, P, Cl
    8. Ge, Fe, Re, Ir, Nb, Au, Pt, Ra, Rn, O, Rb, B
    9. Si, Os, W, U, Tl, Th, Xe, F, Cs, Po, Pu, C

Again, I might shuffle a few of these around, particularly Pm, Tc, Cl, and maybe Br, but other than that this should look a lot like the final version.
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2013-03-12 at 04:05 PM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└r²+R²-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ