New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Anon, we had a war about this.
    About the mint sauce? Or the sleeping with the enemy? If the latter, who was opposed to the sleeping...?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    About the mint sauce? Or the sleeping with the enemy? If the latter, who was opposed to the sleeping...?
    Something something the three musketeers.

What the censured version of the book doesn't tell you is d'Artagnan's secret culinary mission to Great Britain.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2021-08-02 at 04:21 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

@Peelee: I would note that I didn't say anything about "childhood" obesity.

I am legitimately wondering if making people sit still for hours at a time and doing everything you can to stamp u the human body's natural need to fidget is a contributing factor to how most people as adults in the united states don't get enough exercise, which is, in turn, a contributing factor to obesity.

Combine this with the fact that for the last 20ish years, most public schools have strongly disincentivized physical education in favor of more pure academics, and whatever PE you do get... well, it's not a new thing by any means but it tends to be incompetently taught and you get the idea that exercise is meant to be unpleasant...

(I'm not the only one who had most of their gym classes taught by an overweight middle-aged man who didn't seem to understand that the human body needed rest, or believe people about their own health issues, yeah?)
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Fun fact: there are actually places in the UK where "pants" *does* mean "trousers"--a colleague I used to have who was born and bred in Wigan used the word that way. Technically, even aside from that, "pants" isn't the correct word for undergarments in the UK--the proper word is "underpants", but it's just become abbreviated to "pants" through usage.
    You're kind of proving my point here, regarding the change of language.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Anon, we had a war about this.
    Just the one? Seems like my histoiry classes sucked.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Strictly speaking, all wars with the English are about the mint sauce, deep down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Just the one? Seems like my histoiry classes sucked.
    Well we've had one that was explicitly about it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't say that, they get tsundere about each other. after the two nations broke up after failing to get engaged, they can't stop talking to each other like old flames.
    At least they've stopped trying to conquer each other. And the British crown has relinquished claims to France or parts of France? I haven't actually checked that, but I imagine they have?

Sleeping with the enemy has become so common I sometime wonder why we're not onde country.

It's probably the mint sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Something something the three musketeers.

What the censured version of the book doesn't tell you is d'Artagnan's secret culinary mission to Great Britain.
    Are we talking about some kinky sex thing now? The mint sauce should be pretty easy to get. The musketeer costumes will take a bit more effort, but I can probably arrange something. Getting a British and French person to dress up for this is going to be difficult, though, and we'll need a cook as well for the culinary stuff. Does the cook need to be British or French? This is going to take some effort to put together...

7. - Top - End - #277

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    At least they've stopped trying to conquer each other. And the British crown has relinquished claims to France or parts of France? I haven't actually checked that, but I imagine they have?
    Since the Kings of England were derived from the Dukes of Normandy after William the Conqueror, and still held territory in France, it technically meant they were vassals of the King of France. Needless to say, this didn't sit well with said kings and was probably the root cause of most of the conflict between the two countries over the next several centuries! Wasn't until we finally lost the last of our French possessions that this became a non-issue.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

We did win the Hundred Years War, yes.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure, I can't remember if the monarch still has the title King/Queen of France.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure, I can't remember if the monarch still has the title King/Queen of France.
    Pretty sure your current overlords aren't even descended from Philip the Fair.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure your current overlords aren't even descended from Philip the Fair.
    When has legitimacy mattered for rulers?

Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

When has legitimacy mattered for rulers?
    Apparently, she has the "unofficial title" of Duke of Normandy.

Aristos, I swear...
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aristos, I swear...
    Following the chain of sources indicates theres a couple islands off the coast of France that technically are ruled by the Crown which are/were considered regionally French/Norman. They call her the Duke of Normandy out of tradition from when rule of those islands actually was derived from connection to the duchy of Normandy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Are we talking about some kinky sex thing now? The mint sauce should be pretty easy to get. The musketeer costumes will take a bit more effort, but I can probably arrange something. Getting a British and French person to dress up for this is going to be difficult, though, and we'll need a cook as well for the culinary stuff. Does the cook need to be British or French? This is going to take some effort to put together...
    Ohhooo! Feeling frisky?

The mint sauce will be a problem: can't find it in a store around here. Musketeer costume is easy: I'll just borrow one from a friend, a reenactor. Getting a British and French person to dress up should be simple: you tell the both of them the other one said not to.

As for the cook... if I understand the premise, it should be one of those dressed up - but there are conditions. He should come from Gascony but needs to be sent by Austrian queen on a mission to Britain. We'll also need a large diamond ring, and 25-y/o attractive French married lady. Don't ask.

We'll also need an improbability generator, few monkeys (got few typewriters) and stopwatch.

And then the fun can start.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I keep wondering how one makes a sauce out of a mint. Is it like scrouge mcduck? Swimming in the blank coins, dallying beneath the press?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #286
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Since the Kings of England were derived from the Dukes of Normandy after William the Conqueror, and still held territory in France, it technically meant they were vassals of the King of France. Needless to say, this didn't sit well with said kings and was probably the root cause of most of the conflict between the two countries over the next several centuries! Wasn't until we finally lost the last of our French possessions that this became a non-issue.
    Ooh! That's pretty interesting. I've got the urge to find some documentaries on youtube and/or Netflix about this now, because I love learning about these kind of political machinations.

Aristos, I swear...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Following the chain of sources indicates theres a couple islands off the coast of France that technically are ruled by the Crown which are/were considered regionally French/Norman. They call her the Duke of Normandy out of tradition from when rule of those islands actually was derived from connection to the duchy of Normandy.
    That doesn't really count then, but I did get a bit of chuckle out of briefly thinking the British crown still laid claim to French territory.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

and 25-y/o attractive French married lady. Don't ask.
    I hope she's the one in the musketeer costume

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I keep wondering how one makes a sauce out of a mint. Is it like scrouge mcduck? Swimming in the blank coins, dallying beneath the press?
    It all stems from people eating lamb and not harvesting wool from sheep. With the law passed every lamb chop became incredibly expensive.

Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think “King of France” was one of the British monarch’s titles until the late 1700s, so it is kind of funny they spent ~300 years saying they were the kings of France despite that quite clearly being not the case.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It appears to be mint leaves(Ie, the think mint flavor comes from) and sugar cooked in a mixture of water and vinegar.

Doesn't look so much like a proper "sauce" as much as herbage in liquid.

I could maybe see it working as a marinade but the recipe I'm seeing seems to imply that you spoon it onto cooked meat as a condiment.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    I think “King of France” was one of the British monarch’s titles until the late 1700s, so it is kind of funny they spent ~300 years saying they were the kings of France despite that quite clearly being not the case.
    They had an on again off again war for a hundred years to prove the point that it was a pretty strong claim. The english lost, but most claimants to a crown lose (or win) a lot faster than that.

More seriously, many English nobles also had claims to lands in France, and vice versa, because of the Normans being french originally. William nominally kept the titles separated, but when you import a bunch of nobles, french or otherwise, they arent going to just let some other french person take their lands back home. The war took so long because plenty of the legitimate french nobles decided to side with the english, to varying degrees over the course of the hundred years war.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-08-02 at 09:20 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh! That's pretty interesting. I've got the urge to find some documentaries on youtube and/or Netflix about this now, because I love learning about these kind of political machinations.
    May I recommend the historical novel(s) The Accursed Kings? The historical bits are a bit stretchy but it gets the gist of it and was a major inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire. It's about how a couple of princesses cheating on their husbands lead to the end of the mainline Capetian dynasty and the Hundred Years War. It features curses, kings, war, death, plague, religion, dead warring accursed religious kings, assasins, a witch, prisons, poisons, a nephew and aunt who the narrator thinks would have been better off having sex with one another, legal disputes, Latin puns, crows, election fraud, redemption, sass, large amounts of unnecessary violence, a major character dying of an undiagnosed storke, inordinate amounts of bad decisions and poor communications, class strugle, famine, and Italian bankers.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I could maybe see it working as a marinade
    You barbarian! Yes, it's spooned onto the meat, not used as aarinade. Some recipes do suggest you put it on/in the meat before it's (finished) cooking. And yes, the British have food-based Stockholm Syndrome.

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

They had an on again off again war for a hundred years to prove the point that it was a pretty strong claim. The english lost, but most claimants to a crown lose (or win) a lot faster than that.

More seriously, many English nobles also had claims to lands in France, and vice versa, because of the Normans being french originally. William nominally kept the titles separated, but when you import a bunch of nobles, french or otherwise, they arent going to just let some other french person take their lands back home. The war took so long because plenty of the legitimate french nobles decided to side with the english, to varying degrees over the course of the hundred years war.
    Ironically, it was this very war that created the sentiment of national identity in England (and got the nobles to learn their filthy, filthy peasant's language) as the crown needed to keep the people motivated to go die for their own monetary gain.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know about that, but that war ended in 1453 and they didn’t officially give up the claim until George III was running the show, I just think it’s mildly humorous how long they kept it up.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I know about that, but that war ended in 1453 and they didn’t officially give up the claim until George III was running the show, I just think it’s mildly humorous how long they kept it up.
    I mean, the family ties didnt go away or anything.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

But we kept the envy! The French have the better weather, the better cuisine, are actually attractive...

Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

@Peelee: I would note that I didn't say anything about "childhood" obesity.
    That seems like a distinction without a difference:
    obesity in children.
    Regardless, the points remain that it is hardly a new tactic, and it is fairly global as well, while childhood obesityobesity in children (or heck, even adults) does not correlate to cultures which tend to be more strict about that.

And don't even get me started on lengthy summer breaks and homework, both of which should ideally be eliminated, from what I hear.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That seems like a distinction without a difference:
    Regardless, the points remain that it is hardly a new tactic, and it is fairly global as well, while childhood obesityobesity in children (or heck, even adults) does not correlate to cultures which tend to be more strict about that.

And don't even get me started on lengthy summer breaks and homework, both of which should ideally be eliminated, from what I hear.
    Okay, I'm just gonna say that I genuinely don't remember mentioning children in that post in that context.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

As in, make it so whatever time they spend at school is all the time they have to dedicate to it, no take home stuff?

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

But we kept the envy! The French have the better weather, the better cuisine, are actually attractive...
    You guys made Rock N Roll, though.
    Forum Wisdom