Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: 5e?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 5e?

We were just talking about this last week: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217478
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It was sure to happen eventually, and as far as D&D editions go 4e will probably have roughly the same runtime as the earlier editions. Besides, it's not like anyone will be forced to switch over - there's still players of OD&D, 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, and there will still be players of 4e, even once 5th, 6th, and later editions emerge.

I'm mostly interested in seeing what they do with it. 4e was intentionally fairly gamist in nature, but I understand that 3e was more gamist than 2e which was more gamist than 1e, so if that trend continues presumably 5e will be the most gamist of them all. I'm not sure how they'll pull that off, though. How the system works, how the fluff changes... What occurs remains to be seen.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If they continue in that direction, it would be Warhammer with a different brand name.

As I see it, the problems of 3rd Ed, and everything that's wrong with 4th Ed are mostly results of wizards busines model, so I don't have any high hopes for a 5th Edition.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It could* be a good step. Maybe. Monte has a very different take on the game than 4E does, and in a way he almost exemplifies everything that 4E excised (good and bad). So if he's really back to work on 5E they may be looking to do something with more 3E influence.

*Could be. It probably won't be, but that's a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

All I'll say is that it'll have to be a better game system than Pathfinder to get even a cent out of me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not really sure what would convince me to buy this. I'm in love with 3.5 and now especially Pathfinder, and there are a number of gaming systems out there that satisfy me if I want a more niche game system. It'll have to be pretty spectacular to get me interested

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what would convince me to buy this. I'm in love with 3.5 and now especially Pathfinder, and there are a number of gaming systems out there that satisfy me if I want a more niche game system. It'll have to be pretty spectacular to get me interested
    This, so much this.

WoTC really dealt me a grievous wound with 4th edition. I don't think I could ever forgive/stomach them unless they gave me an offer I can't refuse.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think for my personal needs, Pathfinder could be surpassed very easily.

But that would be a game with 3 rulebooks and a library of fluff with one race, one alternate class feature, and 4 spells per book at the most. And I don't see wizards doing such a thing.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I predict that WOTC is putting a team together consisting of 3E and 4E designers, and will market this as combining the best parts of both editions, whatever they perceive those to be.

I predict furthermore that many current fans of these earlier editions will instead see it as combining the worst parts of both editions, and keep playing whatever their current favorite is. Not that WOTC will care, because they'll be aiming it for new players, not current ones.

Finally, I predict that 5E will be widely derided as "gamist", "dumbing down", "like a video game", and "ruined forever", just like every edition since the second was. Because hey, a new edition of anything wouldn't be complete without a flame war.

Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2011-10-12 at 03:57 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bendraesar View Post
    All I'll say is that it'll have to be a better game system than Pathfinder to get even a cent out of me.
    By what standards are you measuring, though? I'd say that 4e is a "better game system than Pathfinder," myself, but I'm fully cognizant that that's because I know it better and I find a mechanically balanced system to be of high import (and AFAIK Pathfinder is only somewhat more balanced than the grossly-imbalanced 3.x system).

Basically, if you look at it that way, an objectively-better game system than a decent one is impossible. Systems have differences in their goals and that changes how they're made and scored. Some systems surely are better than others, like D&D as a system family is better than I hear FATAL or Synibarr are, but I don't think most of the main professional systems are objectively better or worse than each other.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meh i will give anything a shot, the players make the game not the system anyway.

I don't envy him trying to do a new DnD ed its like trying to re write the bible, with all the baggage attached no matter how many people he pleases he is going to upset just as many. And upset people are always far more vocal then happy ones.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, I liked fourth edition, and felt that people calling it video-gamey wasnt neccasarily bad, I like video games. IMO, 4e was a step in the right direction for
    WotC, at least the balance part of it was. People shouldnt say they should disregard anything they learned while making 4e, and make it stem directly from 3.5, because they learned a lot while making both.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I would buy any new edition of D&D anytime soon. It's just that I can do anything I need with 3.5, so there's not much incentive to change. Ammount of free (or cheap) roleplaying systems around makes the sale even harder. 5e might become a great system, but it still wouldn't change much.

Also: The Cycle continues.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    4e just came out a few years ago. We've still got some time with it before the next edition.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Margaret Weis (of Dragonlance) confirmed that Monte Cook was working on 5E, over on the official Dragonlance forums.

I think the main reason for the backlash against 4E was expectations. The consumers were expecting a more streamlined 3E with some rule fixes and minor modifications. Instead, they got an entirely different game and felt betrayed.

Odds are, 5E will be an entirely different game, too. That way, Wizards of the Coast can justify releasing a ton of new splatbooks to go with it, as that's how they make their money.

So it's important to keep that in mind.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

I didn't like 4e because every class felt the same. At Will's, Encounter, Dailies were really annoying. "I can only swing my sword like this once an episode?" Made me really not like it. I liked that melee was able to do more tactical things rather than "I swing again" but the power/exploit system really just stacked on more damage (instead of adding a more tactical aspect) making it feel like an MMO when attacking.

Also the magic items were incredibly gamist, It's like playing WoW or Diablo (nothing against either of them, I just don't want my RPG's to be like it lootwise) I wish they would have a loot system more like Warhammer Fantasy or Shadowrun (less +1's yet still a lot of options) I would like to see much more nifty wondrous items & less magic swords. (Magic should be rare & powerful, in my opinion)

Well there is my mini-rant. I don't hope to cause any flames

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

smile Re: 5e?

well, in my opinion it would be hard pressed to do worse than 4e I really hope Monte makes a great game.

19. - Top - End - #19

Here's to hoping that Monte Cook tricks Wizards into releasing 3.5 again.

Cheers.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    4e just came out a few years ago. We've still got some time with it before the next edition.
    That's what people said about 3e when WotC was working on 4e.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

If 5e is to 4e what 4e is to 3e and 3e is to AD&D, then maybe it will be a game I'll actually like instead of just finding passable!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    If they continue in that direction, it would be Warhammer with a different brand name.
    Then they would've come full circle, starting with making an RPG from a war game and ending with making a war game out of an RPG. Has a nice pattern to it if nothing else.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Here's to hoping that Monte Cook tricks Wizards into releasing 3.5 again.

Cheers.
    Why would you want more of the same tho?

I can understand you like 3.5 but you already have it what would re-releasing it do?

If they re-released they would have to come up with new stuff for it which would ultimately change the game and these changes would probably not be liked by a fair portion of the community, as not liking change is a fairly common frame of mind.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

If they released a game with less segregation between story and gameplay, more interesting options for combat, abolished the daily/encounter/at-will system (at least for non-magical characters), the same rules governing both players and monsters and NPCs, then I might, just might, buy it. Otherwise, Pathfinder it is for me.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-10-13 at 10:53 AM.
    Sloth the Worst Rogue Ever and his pal the Gelatinous Cube Avatar by Sorcerer Blob

Games I Play: D&D 4e, 3.X D&D/Pathfinder, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, D&D Next Playtest, Star Wars RPG (d20, SE, EotE,) Burning Wheel, Mouse Guard, AFMBE, and many more! Basically if it looks fun, I'm game!

Legend4ry D&D: Bringing Old School to 4th Edition

Got a gaming question? RPG Stack Exchange

26. - Top - End - #26

Kind of hope Monte Cook makes a post about how he is going to try to add his own personal flair and the like to 4th Edition and that he's not working on a new Edition.

Just so I will stop seeing all these threads.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    Why would you want more of the same tho?

I can understand you like 3.5 but you already have it what would re-releasing it do?

If they re-released they would have to come up with new stuff for it which would ultimately change the game and these changes would probably not be liked by a fair portion of the community, as not liking change is a fairly common frame of mind.
    More splatbooks. You'll notice that the later books WotC produced were much more cognisant of the balance issues 3.5 had, and went very far to provide ways to play without them. ToB, Magic of Incarnum, That Book with the Factotum*, the various specialized caster classes, all of them are decent T3 options that are clearly alternatives for the previously inbalanced classes. So if WotC wants to make more 3.5 splats following the later books' templates, more power to them.

*Dungeonscape, I know, but seriously, Factotum was the best thing in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

28. - Top - End - #28

EDIT: Haha, I got ninja'd by someone who expressed my opinion better than I did. I just want to play pathfinder I guess.
    Last edited by starwoof; 2011-10-12 at 08:22 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

First, I note that working on a new edition shouldn't be too surprising. I mean, 4e sales aren't going to last forever, and the longer they have to develop the new system, the less time they spend between lagging 4e sales and the new release. They make money off new book sales, after all.

One thing I'd like to say is that, despite 4e being "designed with video games/MMOs in mind", the system ends up remarkably poor as a video game. I mean, there is only one current 4e video game that I am familiar with, and it doesn't even work like the actual 4e system (from what I have heard). Didn't they get a video game designer on-board with this idea, or did they just hand out a survey to WoW subscribers and figure that was it?

What little we've heard from WotC about the new system isn't very inspiring, either. They spoke of making the game more modular, where you could pick and choose your power level and such for the system. My thought was great; this would allow for low-magic games or high-magic dimensional travel, depending on what you wanted, and accounted for the difference in the system! Unfortunately, what they ended up talking about was basically "modular splatbooks" where you could choose to either use or not use the content in the book. Isn't that always an option?

I haven't been impressed with Monte Cook's resume, either. He's made some good design decisions, but he's made far more bad ones, and it is hard to see how he reflects back on them all. I'm also not familiar with anything he's done outside the "d20 System", so it is hard to say how he would treat an entirely new system.

Okay, rant over for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    Kind of hope Monte Cook makes a post about how he is going to try to add his own personal flair and the like to 4th Edition and that he's not working on a new Edition.

Just so I will stop seeing all these threads.
    Why would they bother bringing him back to add anything to 4e?

The people who are 4e fans would buy the books regardless of him being involved or not.

I doubt him becoming involved would win over any of the 3.5/pathfinder fanatics.

And new players to DnD who are just taking the hobby up probably have no idea who he is anyway, so it makes no difference.

Splat books will never sell as much as core books so it wouldn't be surprising if future editions got closer and closer together as time goes on.