New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,079 of 1079
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

From the horse's mouth.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Orc in the Playground

You know, I gotta say:

This plotline about a Side that thinks Erfworld-the-Setting's premise sucks for the people living in it? It should've come right after Book 1. I would've much preferred the story going in this direction than the direction of "what if we got lost in the weeds of this one particular war but also maintained the whole big dramatic game-changing horsecrap from book 1?"

As it stands, nobody likes this plotline because it's considered a distraction from the main plot. But I'd like to ask y'all: do any of you actually like or care about the main plot by this point? I sure don't. I find myself completely apathetic to what happens to Charlie or Wanda or even Parson at this point.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    You know, I gotta say:

This plotline about a Side that thinks Erfworld-the-Setting's premise sucks for the people living in it? It should've come right after Book 1. I would've much preferred the story going in this direction than the direction of "what if we got lost in the weeds of this one particular war but also maintained the whole big dramatic game-changing horsecrap from book 1?"
    Things were fine until the story shifted its focus to the Magic Kingdom. What should have happened was a faster, cleaner resolution to Book 2 with no Magic Kingdom subplot, followed by something like this as the big setting question leading into Book 3 - not ridiculous Magic Kingdom shenanigans that negated most of the rest of the setting and characters in favor of hax that were usually negated by later hax anyway.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Things were fine until the story shifted its focus to the Magic Kingdom. What should have happened was a faster, cleaner resolution to Book 2 with no Magic Kingdom subplot, followed by something like this as the big setting question leading into Book 3 - not ridiculous Magic Kingdom shenanigans that negated most of the rest of the setting and characters in favor of hax that were usually negated by later hax anyway.
    Eh. While I'll agree that Book 2 was fine, that's allI'll agree to it being- fine. It wasn't good. I found myself not caring much about the Conquest of Jetstone or whatever they were doing. It was serviceable, and assumed buy-in with what were ultimately side characters- I mean, if you've got an explanation for how Love Is A Battlefield was actually predicated entirely on Parson, I'd love to hear it, but until then I'm going to assume it was about Wanda and Jillian, followed shortly thereafter by Jillian and Jack, and maybe Slately and his family.

Character-focused stuff is fine, don't get me wrong. Done well, I quite enjoy it. But these characters didn't really speak to me. I didn't much care about them and their love triangles or whatever else was going on with them. I wanted Erfworld to keep doing what it had made its bones doing- learning more about this godawful place while Parson struggles to break it over his knee.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Well im glad im not the only one who think this is a genuine interesting development
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Orc in the Playground

On a related note, it looks like they got rid of the CGI, which is great, because it looked like ass.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    On a related note, it looks like they got rid of the CGI, which is great, because it looked like ass.
    That's still CGI man. It's just textured and lit to look like a drawing.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

New comic.

Sounds like the Titans rewrote a pretty good chunk of Erfworld's terminology since ancient times.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    New comic.

Sounds like the Titans rewrote a pretty good chunk of Erfworld's terminology since ancient times.
    I think we're going to lose our good update schedule now that they're having to make more characters.

Big thing that jumps out is that the foreground looks hand drawnish. Character looks a lot more erfy than Noah did. That crest makes my eyes hurt though....maybe some more definition needed or something. Hard to see the blob in the middle.

Personal hunch: character looked awful in 3d so Rob got someone to hand draw it based on the 3d image. That's what took so long.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember when nobody cared about Noah ?

He's now telling us a story about a bunch of nobodies that were erased from existence. It's good this comic has so many nobodies, otherwise, I might bother to read it
    Last edited by -D-; 2019-10-02 at 10:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think the last time I actually cared about the story was during the Duke Forecastle backer tale. Yes, it had no bearing on the main story, but it was reasonably well written and I'm always a sucker for naval tales.

How long ago was that?
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

Early 2015.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Remember when nobody cared about Noah ?

He's now telling us a story about a bunch of nobodies that were erased from existence. It's good this comic has so many nobodies, otherwise, I might bother to read it
    Actually i'm finding these latest updates rather interesting. What we are getting here seems to imply that Erfworld was once a very different kind of game with completely different mechanics and goals. In this case, the ultimate goal was about making your side "happy". Heck erfworld may have even once been more about city building when you consider that the cities are filled with unused buildings that don't seem to serve any purpose. It actually kind of explains why erfworld has child-friendly aesthetics and censors language, despite being all about war and conquest; its a child's game that was modified into a war game.

Frankly i've grown bored of the main storyline, but i still find the world itself to be very interesting. Its actually why i prefer the side stories to the main storyline

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Frankly i've grown bored of the main storyline, but i still find the world itself to be very interesting. Its actually why i prefer the side stories to the main storyline
    Bored? I frankly can't remember what it was. I remember Wanda dying, because Jill was a massive ****, and her screwing Fate, screwed Wanda.
    It happened like literally years ago.

As for the Uffworld, so it's a Telletubbie game so boring, their creators retooled it into a wargame. Great. Sounds like opposite of fun.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, this is at least better than the recent Erfworld standard of "standing around portals arguing about the rules."

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, this is at least better than the recent Erfworld standard of "standing around portals arguing about the rules."
    it's standing around a portal arguing about history.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

It could be worse, I guess. They could be standing around the portal arguing about nothing waiting for some guy to never show up.

Still doesn't excuse the utter lack of anything resembling a character. I miss Book 1.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    it's standing around a portal arguing about history.
    It's about standing around a portal arguing about history when people sat on chairs and argued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    It's about standing around a portal arguing about history when people sat on chairs and argued.
    Yo dawg.....

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Yo dawg.....
    I heard you like boredom, so we managed to insert boredom, in your boredom to make it somehow even more boring.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Pixie in the Playground

Is the site dead? Went to see in the AM, was down. Goofing around, checked again tonight, still down.

22. - Top - End - #1072

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cervidal View Post
    Is the site dead? Went to see in the AM, was down. Goofing around, checked again tonight, still down.
    I can't access it either. It's happened before.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cervidal View Post
    The cloudflare timeout screen is actually more entertaining to read at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The cloudflare timeout screen is actually more entertaining to read at this point.
    Maybe he forgot to pay the hosting site. Or maybe they are being "really unfair" to him like everyone else

25. - Top - End - #1075

NecromancerGuy

Erfworld is dead. They decided to stop it altogether.

"Because of horrific and unbearable events in our personal lives, Erfworld is permanently discontinued as a webcomic."

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly unsurprised, given past events.

Anyone got a working login they can use to find out more details?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Honestly unsurprised, given past events.

Anyone got a working login they can use to find out more details?
    I think its best let it be, if they wanted people to talk about it, they wouldnt keep it to people theyre close to.
    Despite everything, its still me.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whatever reason they had to take it down so suddenly, it doesn't seem to have been legal; otherwise the archives wouldn't be still up.

Either Rob got tired of the comic and wrote a convincing reason, or something really bad happened around him. As far as I care, neither needs much further clarification. I kind of hope he would publish a tl;dr of the story he had planned if he had anything such, though. Zistopia at least did that much when they pulled the plug.
    There is no such thing as "innocence", only degrees of guilt.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Hey all.

As you may or may not have seen, Rob has chosen to stop producing Erfworld as a result of a personal tragedy in his family. As part of that decision, he contacted me and asked me to remove the comic from GITP and lock this forum thread. I've agreed to do that, as a personal favor to him and Linda.

While I wouldn't normally be inclined to lock a thread discussing/criticizing a creative work by request of the author of that work, the fact that he is simultaneously ending the comic means that there will be no actual pages of a webcomic for this webcomic thread to talk about. Rather than have it devolve solely into gossip about Rob and/or his family situation, I think it's just as well to lock it.

Removing the first book of the comic from this site will likely take a few days for Rawhide to handle, so if you want to read through it one more time for free, you should do that sooner rather than later.

As per usual for locked threads, please don't start a new thread on this topic. In the unlikely event that Erfworld begins posting new publicly-available pages, you have advance permission to begin a new discussion thread at that time.

EDIT: After discussing, it looks like there's no clean way to deactivate the entire comic's infrastructure from the site (because our site is held together with duct tape and twine), so I have settled on simply deleting the individual comics in order to expedite Rob's request.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~