Display: Visual
    Manifesting Time: 12 hours
    Range: Touch
    Target: Animal, construct, or undead touched; see text
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
    Power Resistance: Yes
    Power Points: Egoist 9, Medium 9, XP

Your touch speeds along the evolutionary process of a single animal and causes it to awaken to human-like sentience. To succeed, you must make a Will save (DC 10 + the animal's current HD).

The evolved animal is friendly toward you. You have no special empathy or connection with a creature you evolve, and its reaction to being evolved may or may not be positive. There is no guarantee that the animal will serve you, or even wish to remain near you.

An evolved animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal), and it gains the (psionic) subtype. An evolved animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount.

An evolved animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any).

Any offspring of the animal gain the benefits of this power on birth. Roll mental statistics separately for each offspring.

XP Cost: 250 XP

Augment: An egoist can use this power on a creature of the construct type by spending an additional 6 power points and an additional 3,250 XP. This acts as the power outlined above, except as noted here. An evolved construct's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are all 3d6. Though this power does affect temporarily created constructs (such as those created by the animate power), its effects are lost when the animating effects end.

A medium can use this power on a creature of the undead type by spending an additional 4 power points and an additional 250 XP. This acts as the power outlined above, except as noted here. An evolved undead's Intelligence score is 2d6+3, and cannot exceed that of a normal creature of its type. An evolved undead regains all its racial properties it held in life, including feats, skills, and weapon proficiencies. Though this power does affect temporarily created undead (such as those created by the animate power), its effects are lost when the animating effects end.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-06-14 at 11:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Power] Spontaneous Evolution

Very nice. Though it seems to me to be a great basis for a druidic quest. An evil medium or egoist, using this on native forest animals, and disrupting the balance of nature.

As for the per intelligence bonus language, is that my bonus, or the creatures?
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The creature's intelligence bonus, just as any other creature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Nifty, nifty power. Is the medium class something you homebrewed, or is it from a book? I'd like to see it.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

What is the Medium?
    Is it a class from the XPH?
    [EDIT: Curse you simu-ninja!]
    Last edited by Vadin; 2007-06-13 at 12:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Medium is a psionic base class centered around dealing with ghosts, spirits, and undead--something I'm surprised doesn't exist yet, considering the general relation between psychic phenomena and ghosts. It is currently in progress, and you can see the basic framework here. I will be posting it to the fora when it is complete; in the meantime, updates to it will be made there. Assistance is appreciated.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

About the medium, maybe it should gain the Spirit Speech (su) ability at one point?

Spirit Speech is an ability that Hathran prestege class from the FR PG gets.

"At second level, the hathran gains the ability to speak to and understand any creature with the spirit subtype. This ability functions regardless of what language that the hathran and spirit actually use to converse. The hathran also gains a +2 bonus on any Charisma-based skill or ability checks made when dealing with spirits"

What do you think?
    Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Fatha Hmir Rashemi sorcerer
    Oliver Blueberry Discworld rogue
    The Kess Deer with tentacles

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Looking to stay OGL, so I may publish, but that is something I will take into consideration (probably with alterations).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    The Medium is a psionic base class centered around dealing with ghosts, spirits, and undead--something I'm surprised doesn't exist yet, considering the general relation between psychic phenomena and ghosts. It is currently in progress, and you can see the basic framework here. I will be posting it to the fora when it is complete; in the meantime, updates to it will be made there. Assistance is appreciated.
    \
    Nice. Anything I can do to help?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, they can't be used as animal companions?
    So what happens if an enemy medium uses this on a PC's animal companion? Do they lose the special abilities, or just become really powerful smart creatures?
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Wait, they can't be used as animal companions?
    So what happens if an enemy medium uses this on a PC's animal companion? Do they lose the special abilities, or just become really powerful smart creatures?
    Do note the 12 hour casting time. And the loss of animal companion and such is no different than awaken.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    \
    Nice. Anything I can do to help?
    Well, I'm doin' a whole book about expanding psionics. If you wanna help, catch me on AIM or MSN or email or something.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm doin' a whole book about expanding psionics. If you wanna help, catch me on AIM or MSN or email or something.
    Cool, cool. I'd be glad to give you anything you're willing to take.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thats asome! personaly, I would do it on my dog who realy likes me!

there is somthing simmiler to the spirit midem here in my uncles 2nd/1st editon website (under animist in top left corner)
    awsom avvy by simius
    srry 'bout the spellin'

OoTS Graveyard

R.I.P OoTS #1-#443
    Fell right into her grave. OoTS#120-#464

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Minor update.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I question why this gets to duplicate the Awaken Construct spell for 3,500xp instead of the spell's cost of 5,000xp. 1,500xp discount for being psionic? I don't know why it costs so much to start, but fair's fair.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

A quick question, shouldn't the effect extend to the creature's offsprings?
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting alternative to Ressurection.

Animate Dead / Spontaneous Evolution.

Bad idea to try it on a caster, though.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Interesting alternative to Ressurection.

Animate Dead / Spontaneous Evolution.

Bad idea to try it on a caster, though.
    Animate Dead is temporary. Spontaneous Evolution's effects will cease once it's over.

I question why this gets to duplicate the Awaken Construct spell for 3,500xp instead of the spell's cost of 5,000xp. 1,500xp discount for being psionic? I don't know why it costs so much to start, but fair's fair.
    Animate Construct costs more XP because it's a better spell. It does more.

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    It should, but I can't think of how to word that properly.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-06-14 at 09:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

It should, but I can't think of how to word that properly.
    How about Any offspring of the animal gain the benefits of this spell on birth, roll seperately for each offspring.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drager View Post
    How about Any offspring of the animal gain the benefits of this spell on birth, roll seperately for each offspring.
    Good call. Edited.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    I feel for the Catgirls, and I'm full-well admitting my biology knowledge is not up to snuff, so I'm phrasing this as a question:

If the evolved animal mates with an un-evolved member of the same species (As the vast majority will be), won't there only be a CHANCE that its offspring will be evolved?

It's probably getting too complicated to worry about now, but that kind of twigged in my brain.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psychoticbarber View Post
    I feel for the Catgirls, and I'm full-well admitting my biology knowledge is not up to snuff, so I'm phrasing this as a question:

If the evolved animal mates with an un-evolved member of the same species (As the vast majority will be), won't there only be a CHANCE that its offspring will be evolved?

It's probably getting too complicated to worry about now, but that kind of twigged in my brain.
    Simplicity vs. reality. I prefer the former for my gaming rules, the latter for my actual life.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Animate Construct costs more XP because it's a better spell. It does more.
    The only thing I notice that it doesn't do is free that construct. Actually, this power seems better since it would still grant the construct the extra 2 HD, and automatically grants languages.

Wait, could you be referring to the will save requirement? I suppose that does weaken it, but still... At least it gets rid of the brain component, the fresh brain of a humanoid that comes standard in every spell comoonent pouch.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Animate Dead is temporary. Spontaneous Evolution's effects will cease once it's over.
    I am referring to the PHB/SRD Sor/Wiz 4, Clr 3 version - which is Instant. Creates a mindless undead which is thereafter bound to serve it's creator until freed, destroyed, or Commanded by another.

The next time round, you'll need that spell from - what was it, Libris Mortis? - that basically acts as Raise Dead for undead, but still....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If the creature is super evolved... Prolly wouldn't be able to breed with un-superevolved versions of its self. I mean, we wouldn't be able to breed with our fish ancestors... Or our monkey ancestors, or our monkey cousins.

Even if the actual spell only enlightens them.

I think... If you cast this on a little lizard thingy... It should come out as a dragon. Yep.

27. - Top - End - #27

*looks at power* AKA Psionic Awaken, augmentable. One of my favorite spells in the game. And you added in Awaken Construct too! This power has just given me reason to play an Egoist.
    Last edited by The Grim Author; 2007-06-15 at 01:25 AM.