New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Oly, random stupid quiestion. Catalyst Labs have given me ('cos I were a kickerstart in the Clan Invasion BattleTech campaign (I solely did it so I could buy a frack-ton of plastic Mech dirt-cheap...)) a load of digital books. They are in "Generic.epub" and "Kindle.mobi."

The frack do I use to look at them? The second one seems obvious, but the former? *shrug*

Bearing in mind a) my phone does exactly three things, and three things only: make phone calls, recieve phone calls (theothetically) and recieve two-stage verification texts (and it is not good at any of them and I deeply resent the latter) and b) I do not own a kindle (technically, if it still works since I don't think I've used it for a year, I have my Mum's ancient non-touch screen can't even see a model-name-on-it-once-I-blew-the-dust-off Kindle, but's it) and c) my little-used tablet is explictly Windows 10-based (and exists for two the purposes of Taking down The Club For An Additional Copy of 3.Aotrs and Emergancy Back-Up Table Photos For Convention Maps In Case The Paper One Disappears Like It Did That One Time.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-07-17 at 02:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oly, random stupid quiestion. Catalyst Labs have given me ('cos I were a kickerstart in the Clan Invasion BattleTech campaign (I solely did it so I could buy a frack-ton of plastic Mech dirt-cheap...)) a load of digital books. They are in "Generic.epub" and "Kindle.mobi."

The frack do I use to look at them? The second one seems obvious, but the former? *shrug*

Bearing in mind a) my phone does exactly three things, and three things only: make phone calls, recieve phone calls (theothetically) and recieve two-stage verification texts (and it is not good at any of them and I deeply resent the latter) and b) I do not own a kindle (technically, if it still works since I don't think I've used it for a year, I have my Mum's ancient non-touch screen can't even see a model-name-on-it-once-I-blew-the-dust-off Kindle, but's it) and c) my little-used tablet is explictly Windows 10-based (and exists for two the purposes of Taking down The Club For An Additional Copy of 3.Aotrs and Emergancy Back-Up Table Photos For Convention Maps In Case The Paper One Disappears Like It Did That One Time.)
    I use the free SumatraPDF primarily for PDFs on my Windows 10 machine (after I discovered Adobe hid the auto-update setting in Adobe Acrobat Reader and I was forced to restart during a work project because other programs wouldn't open because the auto-update had locked system files), but it also reads mobi and epub files.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I've started watching Food Wars, it's hilarious and amazing. This id what it feels like to cook amazing food for people.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've started watching Food Wars, it's hilarious and amazing. This id what it feels like to cook amazing food for people.
    It is what it feels like, for the most part!

Just uh... stop before season five.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anyway, another exciting session has turned out to be a great success. This time the 5 heroes we're fighting 3 Lemures. K'yorl uses bless spell on everybody. The Lemures attack missed. K'yorl scores a critical and kill one of the Lemures. Darrak kills the second Lemure with his waraxe. The third Lemure damaged K'yorl by 2 points of damage with its claw attack. K'yorl missed so does the third Lemure and Darrak kills the third Lemure everybody earns 180 XP.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It is what it feels like, for the most part!

Just uh... stop before season five.
    I'll stop once it starts getting overly silly. By which I mean frying hotpot potatoes silly, not the relatively mild current level of dramaticness.

On the subject of food, can anybody recommend herbs that would go well with sea bass or sole? I'm trying to work out what to cook when I can finally meet up with a ladyfriend, and I'm planning some pan fried* fish with sautéed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, but I don't want to use unflavoured butter when serving the fish. I'll likely get fresh rosemary for the potatoes, so I don't want anything too overpowering, quick googling suggests chives?

The alternative would be to cook the fish in butter instead of olive oil and serve it with freshly sliced lemon, which is more what I'm used to. Then get a decent white wine to go alongside it, but avoid either of us drinking too much.

* In my mind the only true way to cook fish. Sure I've baked it occasionally, but it doesn't taste as nice.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Rant totally forgiven, and speaking of High School...

...in 1982/'83 (Freshman year), something changed that year that really gave me a 'punk' attitude:
    My Mom made a fuss and I was moved from the mostly poor kids "Intermediate" English track, to the mostly middle-class "Advanced" English track, and this change was awful for me.

In the "Intermediate" English class most days most of the boys would skip class and it was me and the girls (who were nice to me) and the teacher would play recordings of speeches and we'd write our reactions which only took a few minutes and much of my time was spent talking to the girls or reading a science fiction book someone had left by the window, but the "Advanced" class was very different, there were books we were given, much more homework, and the teacher was very clear that one additional student was not welcome in her class and most days I had to move and get out of whatever chair I was on when of my classmates came in to take an assigned seat, and I usually had to stand or sit on the floor and the teacher would chastise me for being "disruptive". I hated her, hated my new classmates, and they hated me back, especially after standing against the wall I threw up in class. I wished to take their books and go back to my old class with the poorer neighborhood girls and read there instead, it was clear to me that who was in which class was based on what neighborhood we were from and a "chip on my shoulder" grew that decades later has never really left, though truthfully I already had an anti-authority attitude against some teachers 'cause in Junior High School (ages 12 and 13) one of the male teachers would smoke marijuana with my female classmates (and yes years later he would be arrested for having sex with a minor), I hated our 9th grade (I was 14 years old) algebra teacher as well 'cause the first day he told us "Half of you will fail this class", I counted how many of us they were, didn't bother to raise my hand and just yelled out "You're telling us that 16 of us are wasting our time here?" - needless to say I was among the failures despite being judged "one of the advanced students that's ready for algebra" the year before (since they were only four of us so judged in our whole school they just gave us the textbook, said "teach yourselves", and we sat in a corner of the regular math class and played cards all year). Years later my sort-of-girlfriend (we saw A LOT of movies together) told me of that teacher "He came onto me my freshman year".

In 1984 I started volunteering at KALX (our local "college" radio station) mostly at night alphabetising the record collection, and from time-to-time going to the listening station, often I'd be the only person at the station besides the D.J. and in time I was trained to be one ("Dr Frank" later author of "King Dork" I think was the first to train me), and since I was already often there after midnight I came to be a substitute D.J. for the night/graveyard shifts quite a lot.

The crew at KALX were very welcoming and I was thrilled to be accepted by real adults (most in retrospect only a few years older than me), I had my first taste of mulled wine and a poppy seed muffin at a KALX Christmas party (both were delicious!), explored the fanzine collection, and very much felt at home.

For a while at KALX it was ruled that "community members" (non-college students and non-college employees) could only continue to volunteer there if enrolled in a local 'community college' "Radio Technology" class, which I did, but when I re-enrolled for the next semester they told me that it was a mistake as I was still under 18 and still a High school student and couldn't re-enroll without permission from my High school, so I scheduled an appointment with a counselor who told me "If you want permission you have to take a test on a Saturday", I did, it was a lot of questions, but easy ones, and when I passed I was told that not only could I now take whatever community college classes I wanted but that I now had a "California High School Proficiency" diploma and to get the Hell off campus, and out of my High school classes as in the eyes of the law I was a graduate and was no longer to attend BHS (a bit of a surprise!) so I was kicked out of high school.

Canada truly is a magical land!

Spoiler: my visit to Canada, where I find a precious treasure, love, motorcycles, and Punk, spoiled 'cause this post is already long
    Show
    My first love and first real girlfriend was only 16/17 to my 19/20 and she was also 'spending time with' (cue Biz Markie) an "about 30 years old" man who gave her the Wire's 1977 "Pink Flag" album, and after I shared with her a bunch of albums she told me about it (and where she got it from) and we'd listen to it together.

After my tearful breakup with "K" it was 1989, I was now 21 years old and going to see Helios Creed in San Francisco, on the way to which I saw "N", an older than me (not yet but closer to 30 than 20) very Punk girl who was also going to the gig who I befriended back when I was 18 when we were both worked the refreshment stand at a local club (the one Green Day started in), I was surprised to see her back in California, and she was a different first to me before she left California again. Some months later I visited her in Ottawa where we went to a record shop that had pretty pricey British imports including "Pink Flag" which I paid $20 Canadian dollars (about $15 U.S.) for, which was the most money I ever spent on any piece of media until the late '90's, but I finally had my own copy of Wire's 1977 "Pink Flag", and it's 21 (short) songs.

Ottawa was weird, so clean it felt like a film set, we went to one Punk Rock show together (with an amazingly peaceful audience), crossed over to Francophone Hull, and visited a museum in Montreal. Montreal, despite being a French speaking city, felt more "American" somehow than Ottawa. The last day before I returned to returned to California she told me "Thank you for making me love you again", I sent her letters afterwards, she sent one back apologizing that she "Can't love you the same way" and I never saw her again,

I still have "Pink Flag", I still treasure it, and listen to it a lot, one of my favorite songs on it is the beautiful "Fragile":
    ♪♫♬
    Tears fall in slivers, you broke my shades
    The light too bright, let me bury my heart
    Filter emotions of green, cowardicee gives blue
    A restricted view, let me open my heart
    I have a fleeting love
    Searching when it lands
    Fragile, needing precious hands
    Fragile
    You eat my energy, give me more rope
    Nail in the wall, let me hang my heart
    I have a fleeting love
    Searching when it lands
    Fragile, needing precious hands

♪♫♬
    which is immediately followed by the ANTI-love song "Mannequin"
    the lyrics of which I have often ached to say to bosses and co-workers.
    Mannequin has been often recorded by other artists (and often sounds romantic despite the lyrics), but I've only seen it performed once, at a house party hosted by KALX D.J. Lisa Albright/Anaconda, where the band there that night performed it, and that night is the last time I saw the beautiful "J" before her suicide. We were both KALX volunteers, went on a few dates together, but that night we only spoke briefly as she was with a guy who stayed close to her and stared daggers at me (who could've been her brother, they did look enough alike). She's been gone decades now, but I still think of her, and "Mannequin" is among the songs that trigger those memories.

In June 1992 me and the women who I later married went to see "All the Vermeers in New York", it was my birthday that week, and she told me "I'm glad you were born", within a month she asked me to live with her, we each went on one last date with others that we'd pre-committed to, mine taking poor "A" to a show in San Jose that took me far too long to get to because I got lost and it's hard to read a map on a motorcycle at night (sorry!), D's was with "a tattooed guy', and the next half year when D and me lived on our unemployment checks was the happiest days of my life and I wasn't a punk anymore, though sadly (though she well deserved it) she never had as much of my love that I could give when I was even younger because my heart was smaller by then (too much scar tissue).

In '93 I found a job at a motorcycle shop (the manager liked my then still punk hair, which the owner hated), and my punk anger (or "working class anger" as my best male friend of the '90's "W" called it in a tale of his clubbing unconscious a mouthy new German car owner) came back.
    Sometimes the old punk surfaced more, a young new hire at the motorcycle shop I worked at asked me what I was thinking about and I responded: "There will always be a moon over Marin", he asked me what I meant by that and I told him "They're lyrics from a song by the band who's name you have painted on your jacket", I pointed to I different name on his jacket "Eater" and recited 'Outside View', then I did "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" (okay, Ministry isn't really Punk, but close enough to it), "Which band was that?" he asked, "The one on your left arm" I told him (yes, I was kinda being a jerk, sorry).

When me and "D" seperated in '98 (she moved back to Seattle to be with her dying father, I kept working at the motorcycle shop and paid rent so she could come back to California) I rode motorcycles more, and I also went to a couple of gigs again, I again went on a date with "K" (she had come back from her brief time at a college in Washington State, where weirdly my wife was then near) and I don't remember anymore a word we said to each other then. I met "B" who years ago had introduced me to "K", and afterwards did "salvage work" on me (she's who I saw a lot of movies with, in retrospect too many: "Sid and Nancy", "She's Gotta Have It", et cetera, that feature men being horrible to women) an X gig that I arrived at shedding a massive amount of water because I rode my motorcycle in a downpour to get there, she told me she was moving to the U.K. to be with her mother that she hardly knew growing up, and I never saw her again. At a warehouse party in west Oakland I found myself at I met again some of the old crew, including "R" (who did a painting that became a Green Day album cover) where he told me he was going to New York "to be in the belly of the beast", and I remembered having the same desire once, but it was gone, along with almost all my lusts for anything new, all I wanted was the familiar. At a Lookout records anniversary show after the band named me as "a guy in the song" and pointed at me, a much younger than me audience member said "I always wondered who that was", I asked him "How did you get into this music?", "Green Day!" he answered. After talking with them I found that the new punks of the late '90's weren't like the old ones, they were cheerful beyond even the "Fluffy Punks" of the late '80's, "They're not like we were, somehow they're not broken, they can take the jacket off, walk into an office and still smile, few of us could work that trick" I later thought. Eventually I saved enough to pay rent for months without a job, temporary quit the motorcycle shop (winter was coming and they really didn't need my hands for that season anyway) and I went to Seattle to be with my wife again, and after the awaited death of her Dad we returned together to Oakland, California, and we never really talked of our time apart.

@Peelee, you may be interested in what I've spoiled 'cause I mention punk rock and motorcycles, @Anonymouswizard, you may be interested in what I've spoiled because I mention love and romance in one's twenties.
    Mayhaps getting kicked out of highschool was for the best, if that's how they treat people?

The school authorized a transfer without making sure there were enough desks? If they're that incompetent than I doubt that anyone, even the people they so obviously favored, got that good of an education.
    Oh boy I love vomiting the day I have to actually do a fair amount of work at work. Woo.

I'm okay it just sucks a lot!
    *hugs for Zodi*

Much Suckage. You make sure not to overwork yourself.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Trolls are real *sigh*. They're just another anying thing you have to live with but stay optimistic privately because why not, but don't underestimate pessimism because pessimism saves the world, that's my motto :thumbsup:
    YouTube is complete garbage now. I'm used of getting trolls on Youtube everyday. Beside I really don't care anymore on that note..

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Oh boy I love vomiting the day I have to actually do a fair amount of work at work. Woo.

I'm okay it just sucks a lot!

That sounds miserable, hoping you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Mayhaps getting kicked out of highschool was for the best, if that's how they treat people?

The school authorized a transfer without making sure there were enough desks? If they're that incompetent than I doubt that anyone, even the people they so obviously favored, got that good of an education.

In hindsight I wish I was kicked out/tested out years earlier (I remember thinking "Is this all high school is?" after being told I passed an exit test, there was nothing that couldn't have been down at 12), not uncoincidently we pulled our then 13 year-old out of Middle School two years ago and had him take high school level classes at the local 'community-college' (what we called "high schools with ashtrays" back in the '80's) instead.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway I went to Duane Reade store yesterday to buy my earbuds and there was an argument between the white customers and a black employee. (Both male) The white customers told the black employee to wear a facemask but he told him I'm drinking on my break don't tell me what to do. And they were arguing back and forth. I just mind my own business and kept my mouth shut and got what I came for.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    @Peelee, you may be interested in what I've spoiled 'cause I mention punk rock and motorcycles
    I do enjoy punk rock and motorcycles! Also, I agree with your friend, "working class anger" is a better term IMO.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm the best solo D&D 3.5 gamer in history.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-07-18 at 09:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway I went to Duane Reade store yesterday to buy my earbuds and there was an argument between the white customers and a black employee. (Both male) The white customers told the black employee to wear a facemask but he told him I'm drinking on my break don't tell me what to do. And they were arguing back and forth. I just mind my own business and kept my mouth shut and got what I came for.
    Probably the best thing. If people want caronavirus to be over they should wear masks
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    Probably the best thing. If people want coronavirus to be over they should wear masks
    I totally agree with you on that El. Some people are so careless that they will do anything just to get sick. I'm not one of those people thank Eilistraee. I always wear a mask, use social distancing, and not get in trouble by other people.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'll stop once it starts getting overly silly. By which I mean frying hotpot potatoes silly, not the relatively mild current level of dramaticness.

On the subject of food, can anybody recommend herbs that would go well with sea bass or sole? I'm trying to work out what to cook when I can finally meet up with a ladyfriend, and I'm planning some pan fried* fish with sautéed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, but I don't want to use unflavoured butter when serving the fish. I'll likely get fresh rosemary for the potatoes, so I don't want anything too overpowering, quick googling suggests chives?

The alternative would be to cook the fish in butter instead of olive oil and serve it with freshly sliced lemon, which is more what I'm used to. Then get a decent white wine to go alongside it, but avoid either of us drinking too much.

* In my mind the only true way to cook fish. Sure I've baked it occasionally, but it doesn't taste as nice.
    I've always found it's hard to go wrong with simple salt and pepper. Chives are always delicious, and you could throw in something complementary but subtle, like thyme. I like to briefly sauté some crushed garlic in a mixture of oil and butter (which is usually my go-to for frying, the mixture of oil and butter is the best of both worlds) to let the flavor infuse the oil, then fry up the fish in that. My personal preference is to sear the skin so it's nice and crispy, then finish it in the oven to make sure it's cooked through. I'll usually marinate the fish for at least 15 minutes in some lemon juice (and usually the other spices/herbs I want to throw in), though not too long, or the acids will start to break down the fish. I also tend to like my meat a lot more citrus-y than most, so you might prefer to just add some lemon juice (and maybe some white wine?) to the pan, or have some slices on the side, as you suggested.
    Last edited by Civis Mundi; 2020-07-19 at 09:35 AM.
    "I am a citizen of the world, everywhere at home and to all a stranger." —Erasmus

Spoiler: Character Builds
    Show
    Pompey Problemsolver (5e Throwdown #5)
    Nix Inktongue (5e Throwdown #5)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I do enjoy punk rock

FWLIW, when I got into the "scene" (around '84) it wasn't "Punk" anymore, it was "Hardcore", to illustrate the difference: the original 12XU from 1977, and the 1983 version by Minor Threat

By '89 there was a reaction against "Hardcore" and in came "Fluffy Punks", and to illustrate the difference from "New Wave" here's Rachel Sweet's 1978 Cuckoo Clock (so much that was "quintessentially '80's" was actually late '70's), and here the same song by MTX in 1990 (FWVLIW, a member of MTX was a drummer in one of the five bands that played my backyard for my 20th birthday party in 1988, a different drummer that day later became a member of "Sweet Children" which went on to some success under a different name...
    I flatter myself that I helped foster "Fluffy Punk" by, among other things volunteering to dig the trench in '86 for the drain pipes of the bathrooms of the club were the bands got their start).

and motorcycles!

FWLIW, the bikes I mostly rode in that tale were a '75 Yamaha RD200, an '82 Honda CB450, a'75/'78 Honda CB550, an 81 Suzuki GS750, and an '81 Kawasaki KZ550.

Your current bike is better

Also, I agree with your friend[...]

I submit to both of your wisdom!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

So. I finished watching Spider-Man 2003. Omnce you got past the oddity of the animation, it wasn't bad at all, certainly better than some of the later incarnations (even the ones that genuinely at least tried to do something a bit different with him). It's a shame it only got the one season; especially as it meant that what should have been a sorta-cliffhanger ending made for an unusually... tragic end to that story, because without a continuation, it DOES have a finality to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    After being placed under literal mind-control to push his girlfriend on a building and put her into a coma from which she might never recover, and with everyone (including MJ) turning against Spider-Man (and the culprits all blowed up due to their own stupidity while Spidey was trying to capture them, Peter Parker throws away his costume and Spider-Man is no more.

And that's the end.

No more Spider-Man in that world.

Jonah Jameson wins.

The bad guys win.

Spider-Man is gone.

They all pat themselves on the back, likely until unstopped tragedy strikes and people who should have been saved die.

It has a sort of quiet tragedy to it; a brief window into a world where Spider-Man legitimately failed.

I have sometimes wondered ruminate on what happens in-universe after a series just stops or is cut short, without a conclusion. Whether it means that afterwards, after the metaconceptual cameras stop rolling, that is just before the point where everyone dies... Would the next episode of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors be the one where Sawboss actually manages to kill Jayce (by complete accident?) Did Megabyte just win and kill everyone in Mainframe? The time the tragedy strikes, but you can't show that to the children of another reality, so time to close the book there, before the tone changes. The hero doesn't dodge the bullet, doesn't disarm the bomb, can't quite make the macguffin work.

And here we kind of have that, by accident more than design, but no less... Unique? For that.

So, yeah. Kind of fitting, as if there's any year to be watching something like that, it's this one. It's a like a metaphor or something.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Oh no, Zodi! Take care of yourself...
    Having felt like doing that all day last Friday (10 July) at work, then actually doing that at home late that evening, I fell great sorrow and compassion for you. please get better. I hope you do not end in hospital like I did.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Off and on all day I've been trying to remove the aluminum heat shield tubes from the heat block so I could install the all-metal hot end. It's been almost impossible to turn them either direction, but I was finally able to get it to turn reliably, despite the great pain the wrench had inflicted upon my hands. Despite failing multiple times throughout the day, I was finally able to track down a video on how to change them, and apparently they're not screwed in and can be just pulled out and the upgraded pieces inserted. Except, as evidenced by the fact that it was dang near impossible to get them to so much as rotate, they appear to be firmly entrenched and refuse to be removed from the heatblock to start with.

It's been quite a day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been about two months since I've been able to dream. I'm feeling a little ambivalent about it. On the one hand it's sort of sad and it feels a little like I've lost something. On the other... My last few dreams were sort of disturbing.

It's weird and hard to explain, but while the content of the dream was upsetting, I was really more upset by how I reacted in the moment. Like I reacted emotionally, but it was the wrong emotion. It left me... kind of disappointed in myself.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Having felt like doing that all day last Friday (10 July) at work, then actually doing that at home late that evening, I fell great sorrow and compassion for you. please get better. I hope you do not end in hospital like I did.
    I am feeling better. Was kinda blech today stomuch wise, but I'm good. No hospital for this work horse!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    It's been about two months since I've been able to dream. I'm feeling a little ambivalent about it. On the one hand it's sort of sad and it feels a little like I've lost something. On the other... My last few dreams were sort of disturbing.

It's weird and hard to explain, but while the content of the dream was upsetting, I was really more upset by how I reacted in the moment. Like I reacted emotionally, but it was the wrong emotion. It left me... kind of disappointed in myself.
    Dreams are often just your brain processing information, so I'd try not to take too much stock in it. I once dreamed Steve Buscemi played the roll of the President who also fought aliens in a laser tag suit using a grenade launcher; sometimes dreams are just weird and they strike your weird. It happens.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post

I have the opposite situation as you. I only really started dreaming since sometime in January. It can definitely... cause feelings. And make you wonder if you're actually okay, due to the content of them. But mostly just a lot of brief or protracted melancholy.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #143

Last night I dreamt that they'd announced that they were filming a movie based on that Twilight Prequel/Reboot things that got announced a little bit ago and suddenly I was using a shot-gun to protect a terrified Robert Pattinson from his rabid fans, who were acting like the zombies from 28 Days and demanding that he agree to come back for it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Last night I dreamt that they'd announced that they were filming a movie based on that Twilight Prequel/Reboot things that got announced a little bit ago and suddenly I was using a shot-gun to protect a terrified Robert Pattinson from his rabid fans, who were acting like the zombies from 28 Days and demanding that he agree to come back for it.
    Thats horrible, how did you survive?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

25. - Top - End - #145

Thats horrible, how did you survive?
    I don't know, I woke up.

...I hope that Batman Movie he's starring in does well. Pattinson's a good actor when he's not playing a role he hates and he honestly doesn't deserve to be dragged down by association with a dumpster fire written by a lunatic.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

I've finally finished work for the weekend (Mon/Tues are basically my actual weekend), so I'm going to be spending today roasting hazelnuts and making praline! =3
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I have the opposite situation as you. I only really started dreaming since sometime in January. It can definitely... cause feelings. And make you wonder if you're actually okay, due to the content of them. But mostly just a lot of brief or protracted melancholy.
    I guess I'm lucky. When I was having these dreams, I woke up feeling like I had actually done something bad to someone else. The fact that in the actual dream when it was "happening," my reaction was sort of indifferent made me feel even worse after the fact.

In truth, if I'm going to have dreams like that I prefer to not dream.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone seen Mauve lately?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Some people are crybabies on Youtube. I'm laughing very hard about that.

30. - Top - End - #150

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Some people are crybabies on Youtube. I'm laughing very hard about that.
    care to explain? I don't understand
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world