New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0801-#0900]) [Semi #2]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and continuing The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #801 - #900 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on July 18th, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this semi-final will go on to the finals which will be held after this second semi-final is done. The two strips that get the most votes during the semis that DIDN'T win, will also reach the finals. So voting is extra special important this time around, as it will determine who the 'Wild Card' entrants are.

In the previous semi-final, 830 Tidying Up decided that if the other participants were going to dare to openly try to take a move against it, it had better make its move first. Well, its opening salvoes were more than enough to let it survive the first round of combat. Time will tell if it succeeds in the Finals of this Best of the Hundred.

Meanwhile, 842 All in the Family is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 7 votes while 808 - Five Rows Down, Three Columns Over and 819 Parental Insight have a very tenuous joint hold on Wild Card spot #2 with 1 vote each. Thus if another strip is to enter the finals without winning this semi, it has to get at least 2 votes.

While one strip is busy ordering another to eat itself out of this competition, we still have a piece of unfinished business to deal with ourselves. Namely figuring out which strips will dare try to stare it down by voting in...

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (801-900)
    ..............(Semi-Final #2)

Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0801-#0900]) [Semi #2]

Ouch. Moment of awesome vs. Big reveal vs. Intense sadness vs. Belkar(tm) brand wisdom vs. Bigger reveal.

Yeah, it's not hard to vote for 896.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

#870 is my personal pick for best of the hundred.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

881 One of the greatest moments for undoubtedly, the B-A-Double-D Baddest Halfling on the planet.

The Ranger who's so hot he needs to jump into the sauna just to cool off.

Belkar 'I don't know what I'd do if I woke up in the morning and I wasn't me' Bitterleaf!
    Last edited by Euclidodese; 2015-07-13 at 03:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also, I love how the first four votes are all different.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

(edited)
    We love you, Durkon! Come back!

Tears are manly!
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2015-07-14 at 09:27 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

881 for me, this time.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh, tough. I'm going to go with 877, I felt stronger emotions when I read it than with 896.

9. - Top - End - #9

NinjaGuy

Easy choice.
    #877, The Bright Side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dang this is a hard set. It's hard not to put in a vote for the IFCC strike in 896.

But I have to vote for 877. I still get a vague sick/empty feeling reading that strip. I think it feels even sadder now that we know he knows that his prophecy doesn't work out the way he assumes here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post

We love you, Durkon! Come back!

Tears are manly!
    870 doesn't have Durkon in it. Are you sure you voted for the right strip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

12. - Top - End - #12

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

881 is my personal favourite here. really has the problem nailed down...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Some really nice Strips to vote for. I'm in for 877 - The Bright Side

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Too much sadness.
    I like to remember Durkon at his best. 859
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

SO many good ones!!

17. - Top - End - #17

881. Solid Belkar character development combined with a great reaction from Roy.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ouch. Man, this was difficult. I think I'm going to go with 896: Two Paths, partly because I can't decide which reveal is best and partly because I love montages to death.

This might be the first time I've voted for a strip in the semi-finals when I didn't vote for it the first time around. I guess that just speaks to how confused I feel about how to choose the truly greatest strip in this sequence.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cartographer7 View Post
    870 doesn't have Durkon in it. Are you sure you voted for the right strip?
    ...No. No I am not.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRangerGuy

881 for me (and Belkar)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Gotta give Belkar his due.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm really torn between 870 and 877. 870 had more impact on me personally than 877 did (because Malack is my favourite character), but 877 obviously had more impact on the comic. How to choose? I suppose I'll support 877, simply for the fact that it has more winning chances.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

877. Because it vamp'd Durkon, because it was such a soul-tearing scene, because of Durkon's speech, and because of 881. Why "because of 881"? Because while Belkar may say he can brush it off if necessary, 880 and 881 make it clear that however much Belkar is pretending it doesn't phase him much, you can tell it cut him deep. Somebody gave their life to save Belkar, despite knowing him; you can practically see the plot strings of a redemption arc in the making...and it gives a bit of insight into why Belkar is so determined to prove that Durkula isn't Durkon.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is shaping up pretty clearly, so here is one vote for #870.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Decisions, decisions...

I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

877 - The Bright Side
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

finally back after 3 week trip (work + vacation). A bit sad though to have missed some votes (for the first time, maybe?)

moving on, I'm going to throw some love at 859. Yay for efficient and competent order of the stick!
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I reserve my right to change my vote in the Finals, but for now I'm going to vote for 881. Mostly because while 877 is poignant, in every sense of the word, 881 is perhaps the absolute best Belkar strip in the entire comic so far. Certainly Top Five. That it shows Roy, of all people, coming this close to breaking is just icing on the cake. Good enuf for me.

And with that....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

877 - The Bright Side is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Hundred tournament (801-900).

Moving into Wild Card slot #1 is 881 - Temporary Weakness which had 8 votes in this semi.

Just one vote behind is 842 - All in the Family, which slides down to Wild Card slot #2 with seven votes from the previous semi-final.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (801-900 | Semi-Final #2)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we finish up the penultimate Best of the Hundred tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-07-18 at 03:01 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb