New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto (Cleaned and easier to understand)

Introduction and Table of Contents.

Please, comment. This is teh first step to a bigger homebrew for many classes. I must know if this stuff is broken, worthless or interesting and good. If you can express any idea about the mechanics it would be already a great help.

If you just want to go directly to the mechanics, ignore this.

Ok, I will make this short.

This work is due to some sort of passion for the Paladin's concept. I know, 4ed is coming soon but I will not see it so early, then I decided to rebalance the Paladin giving her more versatility, and thus, power.

The only part that matters from the following 6 posts is the Part I. There is where I present the changes and the new progressing class feature. Everything else are examples on how Divine Feats would interact with the new Paladin, how new Paladin directed feats would look like and my personal opinion about the Code and Multiclassing.

With no further presentations to make, I give you the Rebalanced Paladin.

Table of Contents

Spoiler
    Show
    Part I: The Modified and New Class Abilities;

Part II: Examples on how Channeling Aura works with Divine Feats;

Part III: New Feats - Examples on how Channeling Directed feats should look like;

Part IV: Suggested builds and feats by party Role - Using example feats;

Part V: The Code and Multiclassing.
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 10:49 PM.
    Paladin Review - A Class Balance by me
    Link

Originally Posted by Dyllan

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)
    "Justice and liberty/You can't buy/But you don't get it free"
    - Bruce Dickinson, Born in 58

2. - Top - End - #2

Devil

Default Re: Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto

Part I: The modified and new Class Abilities

The Following abilities are intended to replace and/or modify the Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, Turn Undead and Remove Disease class abilities. This abilities will also assume that it is possible for a Black Guard (DMG I), a Gray Guard (Comp. Scoundrel) or any class related to have them. All class features not presented here ramain the same.

Battle Channeling (su):

A Paladin, unlikely to the cleric, is not able to convert positive energy into turn attempts. Instead she can convert it into Smite Attempts. This is called channeling.

A Paladin starts at level 1 with 3 + charisma modifier channeling uses per day and they work exactly like a Smite Evil. Also it serves as pre-requisite for any feat that requires Smite or Turn Undead.

Beginning at level 4 and thereafter, the Battle Channeling becomes able to fuel Divine Feats. By fueling Divine Feats in this way, the character expends daily uses of Battle Channeling as she would expend Turn attempts.

When a Paladin selects Extra Turning he becomes able to Turn Undead as a Cleric 2 levels below, but those extra turnings can only turn undead and fuel Divine Feats. Extra Smite cannot fuel Divine feats.

Channeling Aura (sp):

Beginning on level 8, a Paladin becomes able to affect allies with a 15 ft. radius Aura. This aura infuses her allies with half of the benefits the Paladin would receive from the activation of Divine Feats.

As a simple rule, take the numerical bonuses and benefits from each feat, divide them by 2 (rounding down) and apply them for any ally inside the Aura.

If two allied Paladins use similar effects, only the stronger prevails, they do not stack.

Divine Feats with more than one round of duration work as Auras properly said. Meaning that any ally that was inside the aura when the effect was cast, begins his turn inside it or walks trough the Aura will receive the bonus until it expires. Divine feats with only one round of duration (or less) work as explosions. This means that the ally must have been inside the Aura radius when the Paladin used the effect. They last until used or until the Paladins next turn.

If an ally does not want to receive any bonuses a Will saving throw is required for each channeled effect (DC 10 + 1/2 of the Paladin’s level + her charisma modifier).

Note: Naming someone an ally is a free action that does not causes AoO.

Improved Channeling Aura (sp):

Beginning at level 12, the Paladin begins to affect his enemies with his aura, but she causes to them ill effects.

As a simple rule, take the numerical bonuses and benefits from each feat, divide them by 2 (rounding down) and apply them for any enemy inside the Aura as a penalty.

A Will saving throw is required to avoid any channeled effect (DC 10 + 1/2 Paladin’s level + Charisma Modifier).

This works exactly like Channeling Aura by all other ways.

Note: Naming someone an enemy is a free action that does not causes AoO.

Greater Channeling Aura (sp):

Beginning at level 16, the Paladin’s Aura radius increases by 10 ft. Her allies now receive full benefits from her divine feats and the Will saving throw DC to avoid being affected increases by 2 for the purpose of affecting enemies.

It works, in all other ways, as Channeling Aura.

Extra Divine Feats:

Beginning at level 4 and every 4 levels later (8, 12, 16 and 20) the Paladin receives an Extra Divine Feat chosen from any amongst the Feats with the [Divine] descriptor. He still has to fulfill the pre-requisites normally.

Lay on Hands (sp):

This class ability is modified to work as the Healing Touch of the Dragon Shaman beginning at level 7.

A Paladin still has Paladin lvl x Cha Bonus healing points per day.

Leadership:

With the DM approval, the Paladin may choose not to receive a special mount at level 5, but the Leadership feat at level 6.

The Paladin:

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level | BAB | Fort; Ref; Will | Special | Spells per day
    1 | +1 | +2; 0; 0 | Battle Channeling; Aura of Good, Detect Evil | As the original chart
    2 | +2 | +3; 0; 0 | Divine Grace; Lay on Hands |
    3 | +3 | +3; +1; +1 | Aura of Courage; Divine Health |
    4 | +4 | +4; +1; +1 | Battle Channeling Improves; Extra Divine Feat |
    5 | +5 | +4; +1; +1 | Special Mount or Charging Smite or Leadership (lvl6) |
    6 | +6 +1 | +5; +2; +2 | |
    7 | +7 +2 | +5; +2; +2 | Lay on Hands Improves |
    8 | +8 +3 | +6; +2; +2 | Channeling Aura; Extra Divine Feat |
    9 | +9 +4 | +6; +3; +3 | |
    10 | +10 +5 | +7; +3; +3 | |
    11 | +11 +6 +1 | +7; +3; +3 | |
    12 | +12 +7 +2 | +8; +4; +4 | Improved Channeling Aura; Extra Divine Feat |
    13 | +13 +8 +3 | +8; +4; +4 | |
    14 | +14 +9 +4 | +9; +4; +4 | |
    15 | +15 +10 +5 | +9; +5; +5 | |
    16 | +16 +11 +6 +1 | +10; +5; +5| Greater Channeling Aura; Extra Divine Feat |
    17 | +17 +12 +7 +2 | +10; +5; +5 | |
    18 | +18 +13 +8 +3 | +11; +6; +6 | |
    19 | +19 +14 +9 + 4 | +11; +6; +6 | |
    20 | +20 +15 +10 + 5| +12; +6; +6 | Extra Divine Feat |[/table]
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 10:25 PM.
    Link

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)

3. - Top - End - #3

Devil

Part II

From this part further, only examples will be presented. Check them if you must or create your own synergies between Divine Feats and Channeling Aura.

The feats will be displayed in the following pattern, wich also contains some small mechanical rules. Remember, these are examples I took from several books.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name, Book, Page:
    Duration: How long this ability will affect allies or enemies. This is reference only to the allies or enemies who stay inside the aura’s radius. For further reference check the Channeling Aura rules above.
    Benefit: How this ability benefits the user. (Action required to activate)
    Ally’s Benefit: How this ability benefits the user’s allies after level 8
    and after level 16. If they want to not be affected they must succeed
    in a will saving throw with a DC equal to ½ of the user’s Paladin (channeler)
    levels + Charisma bonus + 10.
    Enemy’s Penalty: How this ability affects enemies after level 12. To save against this effect they must roll a successful Will save against a DC of ½ of the user’s Paladin (channeler) levels + User’s Charisma Bonus + 10.

The great list of Divine Feats:

Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Armor, PHB II, 88:
    Duration: Until the end of the next turn.
    Benefit: DR 5/- until the beginning of the character’s next round. (Free Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: DR 2/- until the beginning of the paladin’s next round. After level 16, DR 5/-.
    Enemy’s Penalty: Reduces the enemy’s DR by 2.

Divine Luck, PHB II, 88:
    Duration: Until used or until the end of the next round.
    Benefit: +4 Luck bonus to the next saving throw. (Immediate Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: +2 Luck bonus on the next saving throw. After level 16, +4.
    Enemy’s Penalty: -2 Luck penalty to the next saving throw.

Divine Justice, PHB II, 88:
    Duration: 1 minute or until used.
    Benefit: Target one enemy, you may chose, the next time you hit him, to cause your normal damage or the damage he dealt to you. (Free Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: The allies may target enemies the same way, but they will choose between their normal damages or half the damage dealt by the targeted enemy. After level 16, they can choose between their normal damage or the damage the targeted enemy dealt to them. Each ally must choose an enemy.
    Enemy’s Penalty: When the enemy’s next attack connects, he receives ¼ of the damage he deals.

Divine Ward, PHB II, 89:
    This feat is not affected by Channeling Aura.

Sacred Healing, PHB II, 89:

Divine Radiance, PHB II, 89:
    Duration: 10 minutes.
    Benefit: Creates good illumination in a 60ft. plus another 60ft. of shadowy illumination centered on the Paladin. This neglects any darkness effect from any spell from level 3 or lower. Gives a +2 moral bonus against fear, disease, poison and death effects to any non evil creature inside the 60ft radius, including the user. Evil creatures inside the 60ft. radius receive a -2 moral penalty against fear effects. (Standard Action)
    Ally’s Benefit: Each ally receives 30ft. of the above mentioned Illumination, they also give the bonuses and penalties, but they do not stack with each other. After level 16 they receive 60ft. of the above mentioned illumination. Of course the Illumination is centered on them.
    Enemy’s Penalty: When this Feat is used, any enemy that fails his will save will be blinded by 1d4 rounds. If the enemy is naturally or magically more sensitive to light, they get blinded by 1d4 + 1 rounds. This is a mental effect.

Disciple of the Sun, Comp. Div, 80:

Divine Metamagic, Comp. Div, 80:

Divine Spell Power, Comp. Div, 80:
    Duration: Until the beginning of the Paladin’s next round.
    Benefit: The Paladin uses a Turn attempt to increase his Caster Level by the result of the test. This roll is made at a +3 bonus. (Free Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: Affects one Ally, caster of Divine Magic, that receives half of the benefit or penalty that the Paladin rolls with his Turn Attempt. After level 16 the Ally is affected by 100% of the bonus/penalty.
    Enemy’s Penalty: None.

Domain Spontaneity, Comp. Div, 80:

Elemental Healing, Comp. Div, 80:

Elemental Smiting, Comp. Div, 81:

Glorious Weapon, Comp. Div, 82:

Sacred Boost, Comp. Div, 84:

Sacred Healing, Comp. Div, 84:

Divine Cleansing, Comp. War, 106:

Divine Might, Comp. War, 106:
    Duration: Until the beginning of the Paladin’s next turn.
    Benefit: Adds the Charisma Bonus to a weapon’s damage roll during one round. (Free Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: Adds half of the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus to a weapon’s damage rolls during until the beginning of the Paladin’s next round. After level 16, adds the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus to a weapon’s damage rolls until the beginning of the Paladin’s next round.
    Enemy’s Penalty: For one round, impose a penalty of half of the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus the enemies’ damage rolls.

Divine Resistance, Comp. War, 106:
    Duration: Paladin’s Charisma Bonus turns.
    Benefit: Adds resistance 5 to cold, electricity and fire to your and your allies inside a 60 ft. radius. This resistance does not stack with other resistances to the same energy types. (Standard Action)
    Ally’s Benefit: None.
    Enemy’s Penalty: Reduces an enemy resistance to the same energy types by 2 points. If they were immune to that energy, they now have resistance 30 to that energy. If they somehow replenished life when exposed to one of those energies, they just become immune to them now.

Divine Shield, Comp. War, 106:
    Duration: Paladin’s level/2 rounds.
    Benefit: If the user is wearing a shield, the shield’s shield bonus to AC increases by the user’s charisma bonus. (Standard Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: If they are using shields, their shield armor bonus to AC is increased by half of the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus. After level 16, their shield bonus to AC is increased by the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus.
    Enemy’s Penalty: If they are wearing shields, they receive half of the Paladin’s Charisma Bonus as a penalty to AC. They can get rid of this penalty if they remove the shields.

Sacred Vengeance, Comp. War, 108:
    Duration: Until the beginning of the Paladin’s next round.
    Benefit: Adds +2d6 bonus damage when attacking undead for one round. (Free action).
    Ally’s Benefit: Adds +1d6 bonus damage against undead. After level 16, adds +2d6 bonus damage against undead.
    Enemy’s Penalty: When a Paladin uses this feat, he attempts a Turn Undead at the same time.

Divine Vigor, Comp. War, 108:
    Duration: Paladin level rounds.
    Benefit: Adds +2 temporary hitpoints per character level and a +10ft. movement bonus. (Standard Action).
    Ally’s Benefit: Adds +1 temporary hitpoint per Paladin level and a +5 ft movement bonus. After level 16, +2 temporary hitpoints per Paladin Level and a +10 ft. movement bonus.
    Enemy’s Penalty: Enemies receive nonlethal damage equal to 1 hitpoint per Paladin level while they are inside the Paladin’s aura. Also they receive a 5ft. penalty on movement.

Spiritual Counter, Comp. Champ, 62:

Retrieve Spell, Comp. Champ, 62:

If you find any of those abusive or game breaking, tell me. Also if you find any ways those not affected feats can be affected, please tell me how. Thanks.
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 10:33 PM.
    Link

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

Part III: New Feats

Here I will introduce about 15 example feats. They are to synergize with the Paladin's Battle Channeling and Channeling Aura class features. Some of them I call "[Meta Aura] Feats" and some are [Exalted] ones. You will notice that 3 of those feats are inspired on the Paladin from Diablo II game (by Blizzard). An excellent game in my Opinion. Note that those feats don't have introductions, so I am up to suggestions.

Use them if you want or create your own feats. Your choice.

The New Feats

Spoiler
    Show
    Extra Channeling:
    Requirements: Battle Channeling.
    Benefit: Your character receives one extra use of Battle Channeling per day.
    Special: A character may select this feat more than once. Every time she does so she receives one extra use of Battle Channeling.

Efficient Channeling:
    Requirements: BAB +4, Battle Channeling.
    Benefits: Once per day the channeler becomes capable of multiplying the effects of one of hers divine feats by 1,5. Besides that, any enemy that can detect and has an unobstructed line of vision to the character must roll a Will saving throw (DC 10 + Channeler’s Charisma Bonus) or become shaken for 1d4 rounds. This effect does not harm any good creature (or evil creature, depending on the character’s kind of energy channeled) or that is not a channeler’s enemy. Creatures affected once or that succeed on the saving throw become immune to this secondary effect for 24 hours. It is a mental effect.
    Special: A character may use this feat one extra time per 3 uses of battle channeling she possesses.

Efficient Channeling Aura [Meta aura]:
    Requirements: Efficient Channeling, Channeling Aura.
    Benefits: You apply the effects of Efficient Channeling to your allies when you use a Divine Feat. Besides that the Will saving throw to enemies not become shaken increases by 2 for the affected creatures.

Extended Channeling:
    Requirements: BAB +4, Battle Channeling.
    Benefits: Once per day the channeler becomes capable of extending the effects of one of his divine feats by multiplying it’s duration by 2. Besides that, any enemy that can detect the character and has an unobstructed line of vision to the channeler must roll a Fort saving throw (DC 10 + Channeler’s Charisma Bonus) or become sickened for 1 round. This effect does not harm any good creature (or evil, depending on the kind of energy the channeler channels) or that is not a channeler’s enemy. Creatures affected once or that succeed on the saving throw become immune to this secondary effect for 24 hours. It is a mental effect.
    Special: A character may use this feat one extra time per 3 uses of battle channeling she possesses.

Extended Channeling Aura [Meta aura]:
    Requirements: Extended Channeling, Channeling Aura.
    Benefits: You apply the effects of Extended Channeling to your allies when you use a Divine Feat. Besides that the Fort saving throw to enemies not become sickened increases by 2 for the affected creatures.

Martial Aura [Meta Aura]:
    Requirements: Channeling Aura, BAB +8.
    Benefits: Whenever the channeler casts a Divine feat (any Divine feat, even if it does not synergize with Channeling Aura) he causes 1d4 per 4 channeler levels + (Charisma bonus) points of damage to every creature she believes that is an enemy inside her Aura Radius. Creatures with a Moral alignment (Good or Evil) opposed to the channeler’s receive 1d6 per 4 channler levels + Charisma bonus instead of the usual 1d4.

After the character uses a Divine feat once, a second effect is triggered. The aura keeps damaging the enemies for minimum damage every round. It means that the enemies would keep receiving 1 point of damage per 4 channeler levels + Charisma bonus every round. This effects lasts for 1 round per channeler level.

This is a supernatural ability. Enemies are allowed to a Will saving throw (DC ½ of the Character’s Channeler Level + Charisma Bonus + 10) to negate both effects. If they do not succeed they keep taking damage until they leave the Aura’s radius. If they enter again they must succeed in a new saving throw.

The kind of damage is based on the Characters current weapon.

Improved Martial Aura [Meta Aura]:
    Requirements: BAB +12, Improved Channeling Aura, Martial Aura.
    Benefits: Improves the damage caused by the Character’s Martial aura. The base dice increases to 2d4 per channler level and creatures whose moral alignment is opposed to the character’s receive 2d6 per channeler level of damage. The secondary effect’s damage is still causes minimum damage possible.

The DC for the Will saving throw increases by 2. The damage becomes magic and good (or evil, depending on the kind of energy channeled by the character) to surpass DR.

Aura of Ruin [Meta Aura]:
    Requirements: Improved Channeling Aura, Martial Aura.
    Benefits: Once per day the character can now apply the effects of Extended Channeling Aura and Efficient Channeling Aura but only to affect enemies in an ill way.
    Special: The character may use this feat one extra time per day for every 3 uses of battle channeling she possesses.

Augmented Channeling Aura [Meta aura]:
    Requirements: Channeling Aura.
    Benefits: Doubles the radius of the character’s Channeling Aura.
    Special: A character may select this feat multiple times, but every time after the first this feat will only increase the Aura’s radius by 5ft.

Moving Aura [Meta-aura]:
    Requirements: Augmented Channeling Aura.
    Benefits: The character is able to move the point of origin of his aura freely inside a radius of 60ft. It requires a Movement action.

The point of origin moves in any wished direction and moves at 18ft per round. It may not make 2 move actions or run.

The character must maintain an unobstructed line of sight to his Aura’s point of origin. If the line of sight is obstructed the Aura’s point of origin appears in the character’s square immediately.

As a free action the character may order his aura to appear in his square immediately. This action ends any possibility of movement the aura could profit for that round.

Aura of Destruction [Meta-Aura]:
    Requirements: Improved Channeling Aura, Improved Martial Aura.
    Benefits: Whenever the character uses a Smite, every creature that may be affected by the smite (except the creature that is receiving the smite) has to roll a Ref saving throw (DC 10 + ½ of the character’s Channeler levels). If they fail they are subject to receive damage equal to the smite’s bonus damage. If they succeed they just receive half of the damage.

For example: A 15th level Paladin uses a Smite while 3 undead and an evil cleric are inside his aura radius. He targets the Cleric to receive his Smite, but every undead must succeed on a reflex saving throw or receive 15 points of damage, if they succeed they will only receive 7 points of damage.

The benefits of evasion and improved evasion can nullify the damage.
    Special: This feat triggers the Martial Aura effects.

Sacred Fire [Meta-Aura]:
    Requirements: Constitution 14, Martial Aura.
    Benefits: Whenever the character activates her Martial Aura effect, she can trigger this feat. First, sacred fire adds 1 point of damage (fire) per 4 channeler levels to the damage dealt by the Martial Aura every round and when cast. Besides that, enemies affected by the Sacred Fire must succeed on Reflex saves (DC 10 + channeler’s constitution bonus + fire based damage taken on this round) or they will catch on fire like the Flaming Sphere spell. They must only roll the save if they receive any fire based damage (for example, damage reduction or fire resistance would negate the effect).

As a secondary benefit, any enemy that touches (unarmed strikes, for example, but not weapon attacks, especially reach weapons) the character receives 1d4 points of damage based on fire. Any hand-to-hand weapon damage that the character causes (including with reach weapons, but only if they are inside the Aura’s Radius) is rolled with a +1 bonus damage based on fire. Also, while this aura is active, the character gains fire resistance 5.
    Special: This feat does not work underwater. The effects of this feat do not stack with the effects of the Sacred Freeze and Sacred Shock feats.

Sacred Freeze [Meta-Aura]:
    Benefits: Whenever the character activates her Martial Aura Effect, she can trigger this feat. First, sacred freeze adds 1 point o damage (cold) per 4 channeler levels to the damage dealt by the Martial Aura every round and when cast. Besides that, enemies affected by the Sacred Freeze must succeed on a Reflex Save (DC 10 + channeler’s constitution bonus) or receive a 5ft movement penalty together with a -1 dexterity penalty. They must only roll the save if they receive any cold based damage (for example, damage reduction or cold resistance would negate the effect).

As a secondary benefit, any enemy that touches the character (like unarmed strikes, for example, but not weapon attacks) receives 1d4 points of damage based on cold. Any hand-to-hand weapon damage that the character causes (including with reach weapons, but only if they are inside the Aura’s radius) is rolled with a +1 bonus damage based on cold. Also, while this aura is active, the character gains cold resistance 5.
    Special: The effects of this feat do not stack with the effects of the Sacred Fire and Sacred Shock feats.

Sacred Shock [Meta-Aura]:
    Benefits: Whenever the character activates her Martial Aura Effect, she can trigger this feat. First, sacred shock adds, by the character’s ill, +1 point of damage (based on electricity) per 4 channeler levels or +1d4 points of nonlethal damage (based on electricity) per 4 channeler levels to the damage dealt by the Martial Aura every round and when cast.

As a secondary benefit, any enemy that touches the character (like unarmed strikes, for example) or hit the character with metal weapons, receives 1d4 points of nonlethal damage based on electricity. Any hand-to-hand weapon damage that the character causes (including with reach weapons, but only if they are inside the Aura’s radius) is rolled with a +1 bonus based on electricity, also, if the enemy is wearing medium or heavy metallic armor, the attacks are rolled with a +1 precision bonus. Also, while this aura is active, the character gains electricity resistance 5.
    Special: The effects of this feat do not stack with the effects of the Sacred Fire and Sacred Freeze feats. When used underwater the damage dealt by this aura is always 1d4 per channeler level points of lethal damage based on electricity. The user receives 1d8 points of nonlethal damage per 4 channeler levels every round this aura is active. His Energy resistance can cut this damage.

Bend the Aura [Meta-Aura]:
    Requirements: Augmented Channeling Aura, Moving Aura.
    Benefits: The character is capable of shaping her aura in any pattern she wants. The one restriction is that the aura’s shape must be constant, with a number of squares equal to the squares occupied by the Aura’s normal shape (a radius centered on the channeler). The character is able to shape his aura into places he can’t see (but not trough walls and etc) if the point of origin (determined by the player) is still visible. Shaping the aura like this is a move action, but the character may order her aura to take her normal shape as a free action (but not in the same round the character shaped the aura, only in the next round and thereafter).

Aura of Golden Ice [Exalted]:
    Requirements: Touch of Golden Ice, Channeling Aura.
    Benefits: In the same way an evil creature would be affected by the Golden Ice ravage by touching the character, it will now receive the same effects by standing inside the character’s Aura radius. See Page 35 from the Book of Exalted Deeds for more information about the Golden Ice.
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 10:35 PM.
    Link

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

Part IV: Suggested builds and feats by party Role

This part talks about the Paladin party roles and how to fulfill those roles well with the new class features and feats. I assume a Human paladin. Also I am not heavily optimizating those. Note that level 12 ended up like a bonus level for the Paladin; he receives an extra feat, an extra divine feat and a new class feature. Due to that, it has become an important level to any straight class Paladin. Use it well.

I will present you those builds like the PHBII does. However I will separate each one in different spoiler boxes.

The Vanguard

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level | Feat
    H | Power Attack
    1 | Shield Specialization (Heavy)
    3 | Shield Ward
    4 | Divine Vigor (Extra Divine Feat)
    5 | I recommend Charging Smite
    6 | Extra Turning
    8 | Divine Might (Extra Divine Feat)
    9 | Martial Aura
    12 | Improved Critical (any one handed weapon); Divine Justice (Extra Divine Feat)
    15 | Improved Martial Aura
    16 | Divine Shield (Extra Divine Feat)
    18 | Aura of Ruin
    20 | Divine Luck or Armor (Extra Divine Feat)[/table]

The Destroyer

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level | Feat
    H | Power Attack
    1 | Improved Initiative
    3 | Cleave
    5 | I recommend Charging Smite
    6 | Great Cleave
    8 | Divine Armor (Extra Divine Feat)
    9 | Martial Aura
    12 | Improved Martial Aura; Divine Justice (Extra Divine Feat)
    15 | Aura of Destruction
    16 | Divine Might (Extra Divine Feat)
    18 | Improved Critical (Any 2 handed weapon)
    20 | Divine Luck (Extra Divine Feat)[/table]

The Cavalier

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level | Feat
    H | Mounted Combat
    1 | Ride-by attack
    3 | Spirited Charge
    5 | I recommend the Special Mount
    6 | Power Attack
    8 | Divine Might (Extra Divine Feat)
    9 | Mounted Archery
    12 | Improved Critical (any lance or spear); Divine Armor (Extra Divine Feat)
    15 | Martial Aura
    16 | Divine Justice (Extra Divine Feat)
    18 | Aura of Ruin
    20 | Divine Luck (Extra Divine Feat)[/table]

The Leader

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Level | Feat
    H | Extra Turning
    1 | Improved Initiative
    3 | Divine Vigor
    4 | Divine Radiance (Extra Divine Feat)
    5 | Leadership at level 6 or the Special Mount
    6 | Extended Channeling
    8 | Divine Justice (Extra Divine Feat)
    9 | Extended Channeling Aura
    12 | Augmented Channeling Aura; Divine Luck (Extra Divine Feat)
    15 | Moving Aura
    16 | Divine Armor (Extra Divine Feat)
    18 | Martial Aura
    20 | Divine Spell Power (Extra Divine Feat)[/table]
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 01:06 PM.
    Link

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

I am currently translating this part to English. The Mechanics are all above this post, so I will take my time to finish this part.
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 01:14 PM.
    Link

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

Reserved for various notes and version updates
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar =P
    Link

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto (Finished)

I may go through this further and pick it apart, but I have to say from the get-go: This is way too involved.

Mechanics are best when they are simple, explained concisely and intuitive.

Yours are complex, explained verboisely and are unintuitive enough that I have to re-read and think about things to get what you are trying to achieve.

Think about the classes in the phb, even the druid is fairly simple to understand and you only miss some naunces if you read it casually.

The fact that you needed a table of contents should be your first clue, the fact that each ability description, including how his smite works (why did you change that? there's nothing wrong with current smite evil mechanics) requires like 6 paragraphs to explain should be the next. If you post the whole class non-spoilered, and its an unreasonably large amount to read, that should basically tell you what you need to know.

Honestly, I would be tickled pink if I were you if anyone actually tries to read and go through all of this and then give you a critique.

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

At least one critique is enough. At least I know It has something wrong now.

Thank you, really. I can accept a constructive critique. I will re-write ths stuff and repost. Pehaps this is due to lenguage differences. But I shall try to be more concise.

Well, I guess that the part of the feats is just enough, since I was trying to give some soul for this one.

Give me one week and this will be smoother to read. You've helped. I really needed someone just to say that.
    Link

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Fawsto View Post
    At least one critique is enough. At least I know It has something wrong now.

Thank you, really. I can accept a constructive critique. I will re-write ths stuff and repost. Pehaps this is due to lenguage differences. But I shall try to be more concise.

Well, I guess that the part of the feats is just enough, since I was trying to give some soul for this one.

Give me one week and this will be smoother to read. You've helped. I really needed someone just to say that.
    Hey, glad I helped and sorry to be so negative, but it was giving me a headache...

Not everyone has a great grasp of english. I know its very intuitive to me and I have read and wrote alot, but not everyone has that priviledge or ability.

Good luck to you.

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

If you are still somehow "interested" on all of this, take a look now, I've cleaned a lot of stuff. As I say on the OP, the only part that matters is Part I, the rest are examples.

I hope I made it a lot more clear now. If not, back to the board .

Oh yes, I forgot to mention why I changed the smite thing. Well, it is somehow the thing between smites per encounter (as wizards board's Paladin) and the smites per day. I find smites per encounter a little too much, IMO the Paladin would look like a one trick pony, and, between us, smites per day are not enough. So I decided to give the Paladin a way to have more smites without a reason to abuse from it. Thus smites equal to 3 + Cha. This is probably sure to give a a low level paladin at least 2 or 3 smites at level one and something like 9 or 10 smites for a high level one.

The Aura stuff is a fluff I wanted to give to the Paladin. To make him unique. You know, Druids have wildshape, Rogues have sneak attacks, Barbarians have Rage, Paladins have Aura. Do you copy me?
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-04-18 at 10:48 PM.
    Link

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto (Cleaned and easier to understand)

the Code: any ideas you have? maybe take everything you've heard about it, and strip it down to whats needed? Might be a way of spicing up the class, given that the code is the thing most argued about.

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

Default Re: Paladin Review - A Class Balance by Fawsto (Cleaned and easier to understand)

Yeah, I agree with that.

This post will be rather short, I am in a hurry, I will talk about this at lenght when I return.

Well, I thoght I would divide the Paladin's code between Moral and Ethical stuff. Because Moral is the idea someone has about right and wrong, ad Ethics is how every individual applys such idea.

But yeah, it is my next step.

What did you think about the class features? Could you fully understand them?
    Link

14. - Top - End - #14

I'll just re-write your post for you.

The Following abilities are intended as a revision of the Lay on Hands, Smite Evil, Turn Undead and Remove Disease class abilities. This revision is compatible with the BlackGuard (DMG I) and Gray Guard (Comp. Scoundrel) or any class related to have them. All class features not presented here remain the same.

Battle Channeling (su):

At 1st level, the Paladin gains Smite Evil and Turn Undead. Both of these abilities are usable a combined number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Divine Aura (sp):

(look at the marshal class' Major Aura progression and mechanics and use those, the ones you have written here are very clunky and do not flow well.

Perhaps get different types of auras as he progresses (see 1wingedangel's work, or my own (that steals from his) for ideas) and have the aura bonus be equal to his number of Divine or Smite feats. He can only have 1 aura active at a time. Or if you want to be more generous, allow him a number of active auras equal to half his Cha mod. Make the range 10, 15 or 30 feet, as you like.)

Improved Channeling Aura (sp):

(Ok, use the above suggestion and now apply the bonus also as a penalty. I wouldn't bother with a save to resist this, but if you did ethier 10+pal lvl+cha mod or 10+aura bonus x2+cha mod would work well).

Greater Channeling Aura (sp):

1) You don't need to keep repeating the "it works as channeling aura" clause, as the fact that it's a progression and you describe it as improving that ability already implies this in an obvious way.

2) Whatever range you decide on for the base auras, double it here and grant +2 to the save vs the negative effect. This is fine.

Extra Divine Feats:

Beginning at level 4 and every 4 levels later (8, 12, 16 and 20) the Paladin receives an Extra Divine Feat He still must fulfill any pre-requisites normally.

(as you like, not a bad idea)

Lay on Hands (sp):

This class ability is modified to work as the Healing Touch of the Dragon Shaman beginning at level 7. (Give a full description, don't reference a non-core class in a core class description. Also, its called Touch of Vitality.)

A Paladin still has Paladin lvl x Cha Bonus healing points per day.

Leadership:

With the DM approval, the Paladin may choose not to receive a special mount at level 5, but the Leadership feat at level 6.

(then present this as a variant after the main class description, anything that requires "with DM approval" shouldn't be presented as the default class ability. Good idea though.)

Honestly, although poorly presented, your ideas themselves are fairly sound.

I hope my critique/suggestions are useful to you. Sorry for the lateness in the review I promised.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-22 at 10:45 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

Ohh, sorry Kizara to bother you exactly with the same material yesterday. As I told you I did not checked the boards for a whole week. I did not see this.

I liked those. I will write something about it.

You are helping a lot. Thank you.

If you are needing any help, please contact me.
    Link

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Hmmmmmm, OP PM i think i have something interesting to offer you

Anyways, the code itself is actually quite well done, just badly presented. I could type the whole thing out (over hte course of a few Splat books) to avoid confusion
    from
    EE

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Fawsto View Post
    Ohh, sorry Kizara to bother you exactly with the same material yesterday. As I told you I did not checked the boards for a whole week. I did not see this.

I liked those. I will write something about it.

You are helping a lot. Thank you.

If you are needing any help, please contact me.
    Your welcome. If you wish to review my material, I sent you my latest copy of my Tome. :)

As for threads on this forum, see my sig. The 3.5 feat revision one is the most recent and I'd certinally appreciate some feedback regarding it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There do seem to be quite a few "empty levels" on the chart... and the Paladin's spellcasting never upgraded very quickly...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree: there are too many empty levels. I'd be tempted to take a prestige class around level 9.
    Last edited by wakazashi.juice; 2008-05-05 at 03:52 PM.
    Why are Rangers so racist?

Awesome Avatar by Phase.

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

Well, there are 'dead' levels, indeed. But they are not so 'dead' as you may think.

I must remmember 2 things: first, the 12th level is something that I call 'bonus level', due to the fact that the Paladin gets one feat, one extra divine feat and a improved class feature. Seccond, many Paladin skills increase in power while increasing levels. Smite, Lay on Hands andd the Mount, for instance.

But thanks for the comments. When you said ''I'd go untill level 9, then something else'', means that I improved the class, even a little bit.

About the spells. I am considering them fluff. I am avoiding spell dependence to reduce the effects of MAD.

I will obviously check you arguments, I appreciate them.

Now, a new improvement here:

General Aura Bonuses:

When the Paladin achieves level 8, she becomes able to, instead of channeling divine feats, give a +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws or armor class to herself and her allies. She may switch this bonus as a move action.
    The bonus improves to +2 at level 12 and to +3 at level 16. This effect follows the same rules of channeling aura.

This was based on Kizara's suggestion on switching auras. I felt it was necessary for when the Paladin runs out of Channelings.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Fawsto; 2008-05-05 at 07:40 PM.
    Link