Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
While the rules of flying don't mention Lifting and Dragging I do feel we need to apply some "D&D-rule based common sense". Normally flying has a limit of Light Load, which has a weight range. Lifting and Dragging start at weights above the Light Load weight range. So Light Load is the limiting factor for carrying while flying and you can't fly while Lifting or Dragging.

Similarly, Medium and Heavy Load have weight ranges that are lower than what a character can lift or drag. Which is also why Lifting and Dragging have heavier movement penalties than Medium and Heavy Load.

However;

We don't need extreme scenario's, the Overland Flight has an exception of the fly rule that allows heavy load flying, we known V has that spell. We don't see Celia carrying people all the time [citation needed]. So she could easily prepared this for a special night, rather than this is something she can do every day, every time.

What I am trying to show, with help from those before me, is the minimum strength required for Celia to carry Roy. Because you can fly with a heavy load (regardless of the source), we can set a minimum of strength required to carry the lightest version of Roy. Hence the 14+ strength.
Roy might be heavier, carrying more than I assume or Celia isn't using magic. Then Celia needs a even higher strength, but in general people find that more unreasonable.

I say it's impossible to explain Celia's ability to fly while carrying Roy with 13 or less strength within the D&D rules.

P.S.

I do agree that seems more likely, but this thread is to prove things within the D&D rules. Not to prove which rules are being used and which ones are not.
I agree with the last part. My issue is that your breakdown still has two scenarios: either we are in the land of regular flying and Roy is somehow a light load (so Celia needs much higher strength), or else Celia isn't using her native flight ability and has done some off-panel casting, in which case it could be both Fly and also Bull's strength, or she borrowed a strength enhancing item, or cast something that reduced Roy's weight (or if she has fly, she just cast it on him and is holding him).

The point is, I'm not sure what Occam's Razor-satisfying scenario requires exactly Str 14?