1. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [WFRP2e] The Power of One - Part 2 - "Transire Benefaciendo"

Taalia Giovanni

A rush of relief moved through Taalia's heart as she understood she was able to patch up and tend to most of the damage done to 'Olio'. It seemed like a bit of a cruel twist of fate that a seemingly gentle outsider would receive such a wound, but it was perhaps merciful that she was apart of it so that she could relieve the pain and protect against infection. The draught and paultirce was used, as was the bandage. There were a few little pellets that she could not withdraw, but she believed they would heal over with scar-tissue. The more she 'worked' on him, the further she gained confidence in her initial estimation: he'll be fine and will heal soon on his own, and at worst he would have a slight limp.

"Raphs 'teal me net..."

What could he be meaning? Taalia wasn't sure. She figured out 'Sorry' easy enough, but this one needed more context.

When he took them up to his little attic living space, Taalia was almost immediately returned to the slave pits that had only been just 3 or so years ago. To her, then, a place like this would have been a palace. But today, it was seen as the fringe of civilized society and a place for the destitute. Yet the shepardess found a slight familiarity with it all, even the smell. Still...he seemed to have everything a simple, gentle being like him could want. Relative safety, a place to cook food and...companions.

Meow! Meow! Meow!

Taalia's face turned distinctly 'Aww!' as she peered into that little crate and upon those four little kittens and their placid, trim mother.

The shepardess brought her left hand up, but hesitated. She looked over at the mutant, her hand hovering above that little cat house in a gesture of patting, "May I?" she asked. If given permission, she would first gently pet the mother on her head, before dragging the back of her finger across the adorable little backs and tails of the miniature cats.

"Raphs 'teal me net..."

"The rats stole your net?" Taalia asked, eyes widened slightly in realisation. That's how he survived here: he fished. He was a self-sufficient mutant, gentle and simple minded, living out his days in an oddly beautiful, but dangerous place where he had created a safe little alcove where he had the companionship of the neighbourhood cats. But the Skaven had stolen his net. The fact he knew how to survive the Skaven, or at least was of no use to them, gained him a degree of protection.

It wasn't some grand life set for greatness, but given the mans conditions, it was about the happiest he could get. Maybe he had once been normal and had been stricken with this curse during the Mystery Night. Perhaps he had been born this way. But as far as Taalia could tell, he was keeping to himself, wasn't bringing harm to others and was even offering a comforting help to some local animals.

Taalia looked over at Bella and Cestie, remembering what Maso had quietly beckoned earlier: they had to get going.

Turning back to Olio, "We have to leave..." she gestured to herself and her two companions, speaking slowly so that Olio could understand.

"We are sorry for hurting you. If we see a net, we will get one for you."

It was the least they could do for shooting the poor bastard.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2023-06-16 at 04:05 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger