Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
Looking more into builds, I think I might grab Death's Head/Saladin and go Artillery/Defender, building on Artillery first. Death's Head is almost certainly where I'm going to start at this point, at the very least.
Thats a really cool idea! Would it be using things at higher LL like the Enclave Pattern Support Shield for sniper nests? Using that and its other defense systems (hello NOAH) could be a really good way to generate heat off-turn to fuel things like Nuclear Cavalier 2 on the turns your sniping people. If you stuck with the antimaterial rifle you would do comparable damage to a cyclone pulse rifle with Nuclear Cavalier 2 active AND you'd only have to skirmish which would free up an action to use your defense systems. NuCav in general also has exceptional synergy with the Railgun from LL 3 of the Death's Head as well. Theres also the core bonus Overpower Caliber which is just a straight up extra 1d6 damage/round to an attack.

The only real downside to all of this heat gen synergy is that the Deaths Head (like most SSC mechs at baseline) folds like wet carboard when it takes heat. And every enemy NPC in the game can use Fragment Signal. Investment in Engineering definitely offsets this, but if you go for 3 LL in Saladin there is the Harrison Armory core bonus Superior by Design, which just straight up increases your heat capacity by 2, and Heatfall Coolant System which locks your Overcharge at a maximum of 1d6 heat. The former of these plus 4 in Engineering means your deaths head would have 10 heat which is nice. The latter of these, while really good, can probably wait for levels 7, 8 & 9. Around there I'd pick up levels in Sherman for heat managment support. And the Tachhyon Lance