PDA

View Full Version : Starfall [IC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

lostsole31
2008-12-24, 03:16 PM
This is the In Character thread, wherein we state the actions of our characters, make fluffy descriptions to support that, and what they say, as well as being the place wherein I unfold the story, describe the action, and so forth.

Fluff will be forthcoming, but let the color-claiming begin!

Oh, yeah, and be it copy-and-paste or what, go ahead and post your character descriptions in spoilers here (not at OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5536478#post5536478)) to include apparent race, hair, eyes, skin, clothing, armor, weapons, and other such fluffy things. It's important to give as good as you can to your fellow PCs, as they will travel with you often (we hope). :smallcool:

lostsole31
2008-12-24, 04:06 PM
At first, it feels as if you must be dreaming. The sense of dislocation, the giddiness, the feeling of flying rapidly through space, all add to the unreality. Where are you? What were you doing a moment ago? These thoughts arise in your mind, as if you were half-awake, on the borderlands of consciousness. Perhaps you have been knocked senseless, or poisoned with some hallucinogenic drug. One thing is certain; you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here.

What you see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that this is no dream. You are here, physically here in your body, fully dressed and carrying your equipment. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You feel no pain, so it stands to reason that you were not knocked out and dragged here. How, then, did you come to be here?

Alone in the midst, you wonder why you do not feel more afraid. There is a presence here, something old and comforting, like a childhood memory.

The mist begins to clear. In the faint light of a new day, you see the huge forms that you glimpsed before. They are megaliths - standing stones that tower over you, set into the form of a circle. This place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before.

Through the thinning mists, you see that you are not alone. There are others here, and by the look of them, they are as surprised to find themselves here as you are.

That's right, it's all of the PCs. There are five of you here. It is dawn, and the mists have yet to fully clear, so visibility is not very good. You can tell that you are all in stone circle 30 feet across, but nothing more than that with casual observation.

Douglas
2008-12-24, 04:31 PM
((I claim blue))

Kael Kione is a tall and muscular man with piercing blue eyes, but is otherwise rather plain. All of his clothing is sturdy but a nondescript shade of dull brown that matches his hair, including the studded leather worn outside his shirt. He carries a heavy pack on his back with a morningstar secured for easy access. Two small sheathes hang from his belt on either side of his waist, and his pack includes a set of straps suitable for holding a spear ready to draw. The sheathes are filled with daggers, but he uses the spear as a walking stick when not in combat.

Kael's birthmark/Starsign is the Firedrake, and it is readily visible on his arm if not covered up by glove and long sleeve. The mouth of the drake extends onto the back and left side of his right hand, positioned such that when he grips something with that hand it appears ready to breathe fire through his palm. The body and tail then wrap a few times around his forearm, ending at the elbow.

Kael Kione looks around curiously. "Well. This seems a little odd. Where are we, and why are we here?

Oh, excuse me, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kael Kione, an artist of combat. Who are the rest of you?"

UserClone
2008-12-26, 08:41 AM
Zephram, Holy Warrior of AranuVisually speaking, Zephram is strikingly similar to Gaston from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, although less body hair and perhaps a kinder face. His skin is flawless alabaster, which is fitting, because his face and body are reminiscent of the statue of a greek god. On the flip side of this coin are Zephram's draconic features. Owing to a distant Silver dragon ancestor, Zeph's skin shines with a bit of a silver gleam in bright light, and in the dark, his eyes reflect light, much in the manner of a cat's, only bright, pure silver. The hope and kindness in his brown eyes bring a sense of humanity to this picture, which rather than sitting in contrast to his almost unearthly beauty, merely serving to compliment it. Zeph has a charming way, and not only with the ladies, either. veryone seems swept up when he makes a speech. He may not always know anything about his subject matter, but you'd never know it by the way he can talk. His chain shirt gleams in the sunlight; he seems to spend more time polishing it and his weapons and grooming to look his best than a fighting man ought to. His greatest passion of all is likely to be his zealous passion for Aranu, the god he worships. And yes, he does indeed have a swell cleft in his chin like Gaston.

((Dark Orange for me, the color of the sunrise!:smallwink:))

Dismissing the man's introduction mutely with a polite smile and a tilt of his head, Zephram carefully places his lance beside him on the ground, his buckler, morningstar, and javelins next to it. Weaponless and humble, Zephram kneels facing East, curling his body into a tight ball. Over the next several minutes, while whispering a quiet benediction, the large man gradually unfurls his body at an achingly slow pace, in imitation of the rising sun. Eventually he finishes his prayer standing upright on his toes, his arms and fingers extended outward as the rays of the sun, his face peering up towards the heavens to gaze upon mighty Aranu. Seeming satisfied with this, Zephram quietly picks up his weapons and buckler, putting the buckler on, the javelins and morningstar away, and carrying the lance upright, like a battle standard, in his left hand.

"I cannot apologize if I was rude, sir, for Aranu, king of gods, and god of kings, must come before all else, blessed be his name and countenance. I am Zephram, mighty warrior of Aranu." With that, Zephram takes Kael's hand into his own, with a firm, strong grip.

Once the introductions are over, Zephram decides to investigate these monoliths, as they are the only thing he has noticed so far, other than Kione.

lostsole31
2008-12-26, 11:58 PM
EDIT to above: There are six of you here, not five. Only Kael Kione and Zephram seem to be active. The others appear to be sensate and transfixed all at once, and seemed to have heard what Kael said to everyone, but appear otherwise semi-inanimate.

Zephram, you naturally begin looking around the monolith by which you stand. [Roll a Search check.]

UserClone
2008-12-27, 09:09 AM
Reaching out to touch the material, presuming it to be some sort of stone, cold and slick with mist, Zephram [roll0] the nearby monolith to see if it holds any answers.

lostsole31
2008-12-27, 03:08 PM
The stone might hold stories for druids, but you are sure it holds none for you. The stones are silent.

UserClone
2008-12-28, 03:15 PM
"Kael, do you see anyone else?" asks Zephram, deciding that the monolith is probably just some ancient timepiece, and instead picking his way around the circle, looking for others.

srgonzo
2008-12-28, 03:38 PM
Slate Gray Here

A young, fairly non-descript human with brown hair and hazel eyes rises from among the bodies lying around the stones. The style and cut of his clothes would indicate a simple poverty, but the cloth is of excellent quality.

Gentlemen, my name is Anaximander Shuul. Did you also wake up near these stones? If so, perhaps these others lying here might indicate we have a common purpose.

Shuul gets up to shake hands with the others.

UserClone
2008-12-28, 04:46 PM
"Greetings, sir. I am Zephram, holy warrior of glorious Aranu, highest of the high," begins Zephram, taking the proffered hand.

Frowning at the man's shoulder, he extricates his hand from Anaximander's grip, leaning in closer, and wipes some dirt off of the left shoulder of the other man.

"Cleanliness, sir," remarks Zephram casually, "is next to godliness."

srgonzo
2008-12-29, 10:22 AM
Thanks. Anaximander proceeds to look himself over, noticing what might be a little dirt on his backside. Completely forgetting that he has a quarterstaff in hand, Anaximander looks vaguely like a dog chasing his own tail with the quarterstaff etching a rough circle in the dust.

Zephram, would you mind taking a look in the back for me?

UserClone
2008-12-29, 12:23 PM
"Er...yes, I suppose." Zephram seems to feel a bit awkward about directly looking at the backside of another man, but shrugs it off after a brief moment. Finding a bit of dirt on Anaximander's lower back, he brushes it off obligingly. "There. Much better," says the Paladin with a grunt of approval.

srgonzo
2008-12-29, 03:33 PM
Again, thank you. I suppose it wouldn't do to meet new people looking all kinds of sloppy.

Shuul begins to sing a love song. [Perform: Sing result 14]

UserClone
2008-12-29, 04:08 PM
Zephram offers Shuul a quizzical look and backs away, bewildered. He then goes to look around at the other shapes lying about, to see if other people have awoken. If he passes by another monolith, he'll have a [roll0] of that, too.

Douglas
2008-12-29, 04:22 PM
Kael waits patiently through Zephram's prayer, willing to settle for the brief gesture as acknowledgement that he has at least been noticed and will be responded to in due time.

I prefer Brith myself, but I believe our causes are much alike.

With little else apparent to discuss at the moment, Kael begins some exercises. The head of his spear glints with light a few times, perhaps a little brighter and longer than would be expected from flashes of reflected sun. He ignores the discussion of cleanliness, absorbed in his routine and satisfied with his own soap scouring, but tries to stay alert for movements and talk that might concern him. If he catches notice of any of the remaining three recovering from whatever knocked everyone out (or so he thinks, not knowing of Starborn) he stops immediately to greet them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

lostsole31
2008-12-29, 04:51 PM
Zephram ... you notice that each of you is lying next to, or is still semi-conscious, by a monolith just inside the stone circle. Remember that the circle is 30 feet across. Kael was just to your right (if you awake and position yourself facing the center of the circle.

Anaximander, on the other hand, was directly across from Zephram, the full 30 feet away. Zephram, you notice, in fact, that everyone in this circle (or more to the point, the outer edges of the inside of the circle, by the megaliths) happens to be lying just underneath a separate monolith, in random patterns.

You follow a hunch, and clear away some of the moss that was by Anaximander's megalith (because it is assumed that you went to him when he had awoken). On Anaximander's stone, you see a stylized symbol of a unicorn. (Knowledge: Religion [roll0])

lostsole31
2008-12-29, 04:55 PM
This, of course, means nothing to the "educated" paladin.

Anaximander, on the other hand, recognizes the symbol right off ... almost unconsciously, he pulls up this tunic to the unicorn birthmark displayed centrally on his chest (how large is up to you, srgonzo); the stylization is the same.
Knowledge: Religion [roll0]

Yup, Anaximander isn't able to identify the significance of the megaliths, either. [Don't metagame it; accept it.]

srgonzo
2008-12-29, 04:58 PM
Noticing Zephran picking through moss and finding something interesting, Anaximander interrupts his song to see what Zephran found.

Find anything interesting?

UserClone
2008-12-29, 06:15 PM
A puzzled frown crosses Zephram's face.

"Well, perhaps more...curious than interesting, in any case. There is some sort of symbol here on the bottom; looks like a unicorn. Can't for the life of me fathom what significance it might hold."

Curious, Zephram returns to the spot where he himself woke up originally. He searches the corresponding area of "his" monolith, clearing away any moss as necessary.

lostsole31
2008-12-29, 06:18 PM
Search for Zephram - feel free to roll if you know you are employing a skill. Anyway, Search = [roll0]

Sure enough, at the megalith where he awoke, Zephram finds a symbol of the Reaper that matches his own.

UserClone
2008-12-29, 06:29 PM
"And here is another symbol!" shouts Zephram to Kael and Anaximander. Recognizing it as the very same symbol as his large birthmark, Zephram calmly attempts to recollect whether he has ever encountered this symbol in his religious studies. 1d20+3

Wherein FlWiPig discovers that you can't have parentheses in your roll tags.:smallsigh:

UserClone
2008-12-29, 06:32 PM
Sorry for the double-post. [roll0]

DJDeMiko
2008-12-29, 08:16 PM
Ezekiul

I call dark orchid, because real men like purple.

Description

You see before you an average weighted human man with a large muscular build. He is dressed in an unimpressive scale armor and a large sword rests on his back. His eyes seem hard as he stares you over, slowing on your weapons, but his entire face changes as he smiles. His right hand displays a strange tattoo.

A large medallion of Brith hangs on his neck.

Ezekiul blinks the confusion out of his eyes and reaches for his sword. His eyes hard and staring, expecting the worse. As the confusion leaves his mind he realizes that the others seem as confused as he. He listens to the others as they introduce themselves.

"Ah a man of Brith," Ezekiul says beginning to smile. "I am Ezekiul, priest and sword of Brith. I fear that we have all been the subject of some foul plot and that some of us may be a part of whatever has happened."

UserClone
2008-12-29, 08:36 PM
you forgot to color your dialogue, there, sir.:smalltongue:

"Really? What leads you to suspect that one of us is responsible for our predicament, which, insofar as I can see, is not even a dangerous one for now? Be a good lad and check the base of that monolith for me, won't you? Underneath that moss."

Gorgondantess
2008-12-30, 01:52 AM
Sorry for taking so long. And sorry for posting the description in the OOC... anyhow. Description. Right.
Jaime is very, very thin, even for an elf; leanness doesn't cut it. He seems to be not only emaciated, but malnourished. His skin is a dark grey, and his body seems to be nothing but frail, wafer thin bone and a bit of muscle. Despite this stature, he is alarmingly strong, and tougher than he looks.

The sign of the spectre is ubiquitous upon his body; it centers on his chest, reaching up into his face and down to his thighs, gong so far as to curl around onto his back, making a tracery of lines all along his body... somehow, if taken from a distance, it is still visible for what it is.
Yeah, I took some liberties, but I think it looks cool. Anyhow. Before I post, some questions: how tall are the megaliths, what else is there in the area, and are the megaliths remotely climbable?

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 02:05 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul shrugs and laughs. "I do not suspect that one of us may be part of the guilty group. I have no memory of how I got here or who may have been involved. But, I figure there's a chance that one of us may be involved in it. Why are you so sure that everyone is innocent?"

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I took some liberties, but I think it looks cool. Anyhow.

Cool as it is ... the tattoo is no larger than one foot in diameter. Adjust description.

EDIT: Of course, you can have a tattoo that is exactly as you described, but the birthmark is 1 inch to 1 foot in diameter. Those were the limits given, and the limits that will be observed.

Before I post, some questions: how tall are the megaliths, what else is there in the area, and are the megaliths remotely climbable?

The megaliths stand about 30 feet tall. They are "remotely climbable" ... but not by any of you.

The mists enshroud everything outside of the circle. 12 megaliths. Six persons present, and they are all now awake save one ... one that appears to be human with animalistic features.

srgonzo
2008-12-30, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if this is a question of innocence or guilt, Anaximander says softly. If you'll notice, those of us who are awake, arose near one of these structures, which probably have one of those curious markings upon them. I'd wager there is a similar marking on the structures on those who are still sleeping. So far, there's no proof of anything sinister or benevolent. Wouldn't it make more sense to be prepared, yet not suspicious?

Anaximander goes to look at the other stones

I have no idea what these markings mean, but the one I woke up next to matches a birthmark on my chest.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 11:35 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul grins and says "Prepared yes, but suspicious yes as well. In my experience people don't just wake up confused, unable to remember how they got there and disoriented without a reason."

Ezekiul turns and examines the stones. He gasps. "By Briths Beard! You are right, I have that mark on my right hand. Good eyes on you!"

UserClone
2008-12-30, 12:14 PM
"Hm. I had wondered if it was only me," says Zephram. "This one is an exact match to my own birthmark. How curious."

The large man seems at a loss.

"If anyone has some idea of what they are, please, I am all ears."

"...actually, one thing occurs to me. Whomever built these monoliths must know who we are, if they know that we have these birthmarks. And they must have known about the marks for some time, since these obviously weren't built in a day. Perhaps we should seek out the makers of the monoliths, that we might discover why they were built and how we fit into it all."

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 12:20 PM
DM's purposes ...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zephram: Originally, you attributed it to being disoriented, but now that you have had time to clear your head you realize that there is something 'not right' but you can't put your finger on it. There is something -oh, so very faint - about this area that makes you feel uneasy.

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 12:45 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul looks around for a few moments and gasps.

"These stones . . . they are some type of shrine or altar or homage to Heakun. Those marks, each are an astrological star sign. Each stands for a month." Ezekiul mumbles under his breath, it sounds like he is counting. "Why, they are in chronological order clockwise. In fact, if that shimmering in the mist is the sun . . . I think these are even aligned to point towards the stars location on Midsummer's Day. I think this was some sort of calendar or observatory!"

Ezekiul grins, looking quite pleased with himself.

slurpz
2008-12-30, 01:38 PM
Loath

Loath is a relatively short man, standing only 5'3'' high. He seems more animalistic than the average man, though not in a savage way. It is almost like he's beyond the normal world, seeing things that no other mortal could see. A silvery blue birthmark runs down the right side of his cheek, looking suspiciously like a dark widow spider. Where the spiders eye would have been lies his right eye. The spider's legs sprawl across his face. The legs almost look like battle scars. The hazel in his eye shifts in color from a light brown to a medium golden-green depending on the angle of the the light source and the observer, though his pupil is an immutable black. A glint of intelligence and cunning shines in his eye. His straight black hair is medium length, partially covering his left eye. He is athletically built, neither scrawny nor nuclear in his muscle mass, possessing a marathon runner's' fluid muscles.
Loath turns over in his sleep, perhaps thinking that he was still in a comfortable inn bed, when he rolls right off the rock he was on. The shock of the small fall jolts him awake, and he cautiously opened his eyes and narrowed them, for a moment resembling more of a feral predator than anything else. His hazel eyes shift more towards a golden brown as he observes his surroundings. He immediately notes the huge standing stones that pierce through the mist. From his vantage point on the ground, he sees the moss on the stone closest to him that seems to be hiding a pattern, though he cannot clearly see what the pattern is.

At the sound of voices, the hair on the back of his neck immediately stands up. He bares his teeth and curls his right hand around his quarterstaff that was inexplicably right beside him even as his left hand's claws itch for action. As he began to comprehend the voices and understood that whoever was talking was speaking in Common, his guard still doesn't drop.

Loath slowly rises to his feet, using the rocky surface of the monolith as a prop, when part of the moss comes off. Inspired, Loath continues to remove the moss from the rock as he [roll0] the monolith for any answers.

slurpz
2008-12-30, 01:41 PM
Other relevant rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Woohoo, a crit search :smallwink: I wonder what that reveals

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 01:42 PM
Sure enough, Loath finds a faint engraving of a spider on the stone that matches his own birthmark on his face.

Gorgondantess
2008-12-30, 01:54 PM
A diminutive, emaciated form appears in the center of the monoliths, apparently out of nowhere. He simply stands there, looking up at one of them.
Ok, the sign goes from his ribcage to eye level. There.

slurpz
2008-12-30, 01:56 PM
Loath

Loath sits back down to think. "Twelve stones...sign of the 10th month...I wonder..."

He moves to the next monolith and searches. Quickly, he finds the sign of the 9th month in the same spot as the last sign.

"These stones are somehow related to the stars..."

Do any of my other rolls apply here?

DJDeMiko
2008-12-30, 02:15 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul gives a small chuckle and says "Yes we had already determined that, you are a few moments behind me. Now why don't we all introduce ourselves again, since we seem to all be here under similar circumstances. As i said before, I am Ezekiul, Priest and Sword of Brith."

srgonzo
2008-12-30, 02:33 PM
Anaximander Shuul, but you can call me Annie. 'Anaximander' is an awful mouthful.

That's what she said

So, now that we're all up, does anyone have any idea what we're doing here?

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 03:49 PM
As if in response to 'Annie's' question ...

Out of nowhere, a voice speaks to you. It is faint but perfectly clear. As it speaks, the stones thrum with a strange vibration, as if they were amplifying the voice somehow.

'The time of the Equinox is come. My children ... I am sorry. I have done what must be done. You deserve answers. I am far ... too far from you. You must learn who you are. The land is yours. The people are yours.'

The speaker seems to be under great strain, as if speaking to you was exhausting her.

'This place is sacred to you. Sacred to the stars that you are. There are other places like this. From the time when people remembered. Heed me now. If any of you should fall, then bear him to the stones, and the soul will be able to enter the flesh ... once again. But make haste, for flesh that is spoiled can never be made whole.'

There is silence again and you wonder if that is all. Then the voice speaks once more, faint as a dying echo:

'Know this. There is a force against you. Already it gathers, already it senses your return. Seek the sword of Starkweather John ... it lies near, waiting to be claimed ... when that is found, you may begin to understand, to remember.'

With these ominous words, the voice falls silent. You are alone in the thining mists, with dawn's early light trying desperately to burn through the mists.

Over the next five minutes, the mists vanish altogether. You can then see that you are on a scraggy, almost featureless island a quarter of a mile across, with nothing by way of landscape other than grass and rocks. The stone circle is the only sign that anyone has ever been here. To the south, a causeway of stone connects the island to the mainland that can clearly be seen stretching away in either direction.

slurpz
2008-12-30, 03:58 PM
Loath

Gruffly nodding his head, Loath simply states, "Loath."

Taking a look around, he points a finger in the direction of the stone bridge and says, "I'm heading there." Without a further glance backwards, he begins loping to the south.

UserClone
2008-12-30, 04:02 PM
After a brief moment of reverie about the voice, Zephram shudders with the creeping feeling he had had just a moment before the voice called for them.

"WAIT. Something is...wrong here."

Zephram grows tense, his jaw ridgidly clenched. Looking about warily, he says,

"I suggest you ready what weapons you have, as a precaution; it feels as though we aren't alone, and I don't mean the voice."

slurpz
2008-12-30, 04:10 PM
Loath

Peering back at the human, Loath grunts and hefts his quarterstaff, before continuing south towards the stone causeway.

UserClone
2008-12-30, 04:13 PM
Zephram nods in agreement and, hefting his lance, follows suit.

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 04:24 PM
A split second after Zephram's paranoid prognostication, small masses of dark mist rise out of the ground adjacent (separately) to each of the stones that "birthed" a PC.

The mists take shape, and several Small-sized shapes stand on the outside of the circle, hissing angrily, waving javelins. They are wretched, ugly creatures with large, pointed ears. They seem to wear leather armor, carry a light wooden shield, have an extra javelin each in a quiver, and a morningstar at the side. Their overall appearance, including that of their equipment, seems shadowy.

For the sake of simplicity, the party is in a general mass around the center of the circle.

Here's initiative ...
SG-Unicorn [roll0]
SG-Reaper [roll1]
SG-Spider [roll2]
SG-Firedrake [roll3]
SG-Spectre [roll4]
SG-Delver [roll5]

Annie [roll6]
Zephram [roll7]
Loath [roll8]
Kael [roll9]
Jaime [roll10]
Ezekiul [roll11]

Therefore ... adjusted initiative order:

SG-Firedrake [20]
SG-Spinner [18.9]
Zephram [18]
Ezekiul [17]
Kael [14]
Jaime [13.9]
SG-Unicorn [12]
Annie [11.9]
SG-Delver [10]
Loath [8]
SG-Reaper [7]
SG-Spectre [2]

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 04:32 PM
R1T20 (Round One, Turn/Segment 20):

The bogey by the Firedrake megalith throws his spear at Kael, who is flat-footed: [roll0]. If it hits, it does [roll1] damage.

EDIT: This is excruciating ... the DM will roll "follow-on rolls" behind screen to save time (and posts).

The small javelin sails across the circle effortlessly and pierces the upper right part of Kael's chest, puncturing a lung for 6 hit points of damage (3 remaining).

lostsole31
2008-12-30, 04:33 PM
threatend crit ... [roll0]

R1T19: Jaime's turn ...

Gorgondantess
2008-12-31, 07:46 PM
Emm, just to save time, why don't we all just post our actions when we can? If we just do it in initiative order, we'll never get anywhere. Jaime will wait for someone to get into a flanking position, then run over and attack. If there isn't a possible flank by the time Kael goes, he'll attack the mook by the spectre megalith. Anyhoo, rolls:
attack 1: [roll0]+2 if flanking
attack 2: [roll1]+2 if flanking
dmg 1: [roll2]
dmg 2: [roll3]
SA 1: [roll4]
SA 2: [roll5]

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 09:02 AM
The critter by the Spider monolith where Loath awakened throws a javelin at Loath: [roll0] ... damage, if any = [roll1]

The javelin sails well past Loath.

R1T18: Zephram's turn, followed by Ezekiul, then by Kael.

UserClone
2009-01-01, 09:26 AM
R1T18, Zephram

In an effort to protect Kael from further harm, Zephram lowers his lance, charging at the "SG" (...Spectral Goblin?) which appeared at the firedrake monolith. [roll0][roll1]

...if the way to charge is blocked, however, he takes an entirely different tack, dropping his lance at his feet, drawing a javelin, and proceeding to show these diminutive imps how a javelin is used, starting with the firedrake one. [roll2][roll3]

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 09:56 AM
For ease, we will use FlWiPig's naming convention. Anyway, Zephram firms both hands on his lance, huge muscles tensing and charges the "spectral goblin". But the sg's small size, the dewy grass, and the remaining disorientation throws his aim, and his balance, askew as he misses the creature ... and now Zephram is off-balance with a -2 AC penalty.

R1T17: Ezekiul, followed by Kael.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-01, 10:58 AM
Ezekiul

ooc - I'm guessing that the thrown javelins mean I'm out of the creatures range.

Ezekiul Draws his great sword and reaches out with his left hand to touch Kael.

He says loudly, "Brith, give my ally the strength to fight our enemies."

Spontaneous cast divine favor into cure light [roll0]

Douglas
2009-01-01, 11:09 AM
R1T14, Kael

Kael blinks, then shakes his head as a javelin first pierces his lung and then slides out, leaving nothing but a tiny scar and a few flakes of the little blood that had time to come out.

Thank you, friend, that should make this easier...

Seeing that the creature that threw the javelin is still unhurt, Kael determines to remedy this fact immediately. The head of his spear bursts into flames as he quickly advances on his target. Once there, the spear appears to split into two. The poor creature suddenly facing an extra weapon stands in confusion a moment too long, and Kael's real spear hits home. The illusion cuts nothing but air and then fades, but the glowing tip of the real weapon leaves a nasty cauterized wound in the creature's side before the flames, too, fade.

Use Burning Blade (swift action, 1d6+1 bonus fire damage for the round)
Move next to SG-Firedrake (move action)
Use Shadow Blade Technique (standard action, roll attack twice, pick which to use, get 1d6 bonus cold damage if I use the lower one)

Attack rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
I pick the higher one, so 24, which I am quite certain is a hit.

Damage:
[roll2] weapon damage
[roll3] fire damage

Unused because I didn't pick the lower attack roll:
[roll4]

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 12:04 PM
The creature looks open with mouth agape in pain, and barely manages the slightest scream because his body puffs in a mini-explosion of smoke and shadows and disappears ... including his equipment (and the javelin he previously threw).

Jaime, heartened by this though lacking someone with which to flank, darts towards the Spectre spectral goblin while drawing both daggers with blinding speed - blinding enough to surprise the creature. Jaime runs forward, like an arrow, and stabs the creature through the center of the throat. He doesn't even have time to retract his dagger from the thrust before it bursts into smoke and shadow and disappears.

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 12:10 PM
R1T12: Furious, the Unicorn-based spectral goblin throws a javelin at Zephram: [roll0], for [roll1] damage if it hits.

Only because Zephram was off-balance does the creature's javelin strike true at Zephram's side flank for 4 hp's (bringing him down to 7 hp's).

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 12:18 PM
@DJ/ Ezekiul: What spell did you sacrifice for the cure light wounds spell?

R1T11.9: Anaximander "Annie" Shuul gains a quick assessment of the scene. Within a split second he realizes that his best chance is to target one of the goblins that are still readying their javelins to throw (i.e., flat-footed). He concentrates for all he's worth and raises a hand with an index finger pointing towards the Delver-based goblin and says, simply and without shouting, "Burn."

A ray of red shoots forth from his fingertip. Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage. (With a total of 21 to hit and 5 damage due to Point Blank Shot - just at the 30' range.)

The red ray burns through the center of the goblin's chest, searing through its leather armor and out the other side. The goblin, surprised and without a noise, disappears.

R1T8: Loath's turn ...

Douglas
2009-01-01, 12:35 PM
@DJ/ Ezekiul: What spell did you sacrifice for the cure light wounds spell?
Divine Favor

Spontaneous cast divine favor into cure light

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 12:39 PM
Divine Favor

Sorry, as the DM I am akin to the gods in the heavens ... but the mists were indicative of low-lying cloud cover, so I didn't see all of your post. Or, there was condensation on the screen. Um, yeah, that's it. :smallbiggrin:

DJDeMiko
2009-01-01, 12:45 PM
Divine Favor

yeah, what he said :)

UserClone
2009-01-01, 01:03 PM
Still reeling from his failed attempt at skewering the spectral goblin who had attacked Kael, Zephram groans with pain as, in the next instant, his side is pierced. He simply twists his body quickly, and the javelin falls loose to the ground. Not wanting to seem weak, Zephram taunts the creature.

"I dare you to try that again when I'm looking, wretch!"

slurpz
2009-01-01, 02:57 PM
Loath

Annoyed that he didn't sense the creatures before it was too late, Loath grips the staff of his quarterstaff with both hands and charges towards the shadow that emerged out of the monolith of the 8th month (reaper). He soundly trounces the creature using both ends of his staff.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 03:48 PM
Loath misses the spectral goblin. He only gets one attack since he is charging, and he is now off-balance.

The creature drops its javelin, draws its morningstar, and swings at Loath as the latter attempts to retract from his swing. [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

As with Zephram, being off-balance on the charge is what hurts Loath here. The morningstar makes a skidding, ripping hit on Loath's belly; but Loath is the toughest hombre here, and as bad as it hurts, he can take a lot more.

[Zephram, douglas annihilated the one you both were fighting.]

The Reaper-goblin shouts in its language (which, by the way, no one understands).

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 04:00 PM
R2T18.9: The Spinner-goblin, not having yet drawn another javelin, moves over to his Reaper friend (drawing a morningstar as he does so) via the outside of the circle (only 2 megaliths away). He swings at Loath with a battle cry: "Bree-Yark!" [roll0] for [roll1] damage. The small morningstar smashes down on Loath's left forearm, and drawing blood. Now Loath, facing two of these things alone and now under half his health (5:12 hp) is beginning to feel the pressure.

[Sheet updated.]

R2T18: Zephram, having already articulated his taunt to his opponent before he could stop himself (remember, actions often "overlap" in these 6 short seconds) is free and sees Loath being pressed. He just barely has the straight line to cut a chord across this circle with his reach weapon to charge one of the goblins at reach (but not adjacent, just by positioning since these cretins are on the outside of the circle). But if he charges at reach, he at least will force one to move up to attack him while that tough animalistic human fellow with the staff takes the frontline ...

UserClone
2009-01-01, 06:36 PM
R2T18, Zephram

Summoning up the best battle-cry he can, Zephram charges once again into the fray to protect his fellow.

"Feel Aranu's burning wrath, creature of shadow!"
[roll0][roll1]

lostsole31
2009-01-01, 10:36 PM
Sadly, Zephram is now 0 for 2. His charge fails to find a mark as the head of the lance whizzes by the goblin.

R2T17: Ezekiul, still in the center of the circle, makes a charge to the spectral goblin that is standing diagonally from Loath (which means Ezekiul is now shoulder-to-shoulder with him, and Zephram is directly behind Loath). Ezekiul makes an incredibly powerful swing, and digs up a lot of ground in the process of missing. He pulls his sword out of the ground, and is off balance.

R2T14: Kael's turn ...

Douglas
2009-01-01, 10:56 PM
Kael, seeing two of the creatures in a group just one megalith over, joins the group trying to relieve the pressure on Loath. He looks all set for another mighty blow on the second goblin to join that attack, when he stumbles over a rock and has to desperately plant his spear in the ground to avoid falling over.

Stone Bones
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 01:12 AM
Because of the bottleneck 'tween megaliths, Kael had to come outside the circle and come in from the back, but created a flanking opportunity for Ezekiul in doing so.

R2T13.9: Jaime's turn ... he would also be able to come around the outside of the circle behind (sneak attack!) the "other" goblin that is faced by Loath, diagonal from Ezekiul ... and putting you shoulder-to-shoulder with Kael. Only one attack, but you can make it count.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-02, 01:57 AM
Why, I do believe I'll do that. Yeah. Oh, and lostsole: might I advise trying some kind of map system? google docs spreadsheets work really well, making a great map, easy to use, and the anyone who can acess it can update it, so the players caould move their characters where they're going to go and such.

EDIT: nvm, I do believe you just answered that in the OOC.

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 02:28 AM
Jaime swoops in from the other side just after Kael comes around the outside of the circle, and ... [roll attack roll and damage ... +2 for flanking, +1d6 damage for SA]

Gorgondantess
2009-01-02, 02:33 AM
Alright, alright, I'll roll it for you. Feh. It's not like it matters, the guy's dead...
attack [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]
SA [roll2]

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 02:43 AM
Jaime practically flies around the other side, stabbing the Reaper goblin in the lower spinal column and it puffs into smoke, leaving only the Spinner goblin standing there, surrounded by angry Starborn.

The remaining Unicorn-spectre goblin draws and throws its last javelin at Annie in the center: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

If he is still standing, Annie fires back with a heat ray: [roll2] for [roll3] fire damage.

The goblin throws its javelin practically at the same time as Annie fires at him ... the javelin lands solidly into Annie's left shoulder, while Annie's aim is slightly off and instead of blowing a hole through the centre of the goblin's head, he blasts out part of its cheek ... but it is still standing.

slurpz
2009-01-02, 02:44 AM
Rolls weren't bad at all.

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 02:48 AM
Loath's turn ...

slurpz
2009-01-02, 02:52 AM
Loath

One miss a battle was excusable. Two? The animalistic druid wouldn't even cherish that though. He takes his quarterstaff and gets up in the grill of the last specter.

[roll]1d6+1]

EDIT: Bah.

slurpz
2009-01-02, 02:53 AM
Epic fail. Let's try that damage roll again.

[roll0]

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 02:56 AM
Loath sends out a thrust of his quarterstaff through the teeth of the spectral goblin and into the back of the throat, lifting it off the ground, and then slamming his quarterstaff against a megalith and breaking the creature's head open like an overripe melon before it disappears.

R3T18: Zephram's turn ...

He has the LOS-straight-line to charge the last spectral goblin 30' away on the other side of the circle (and only because he has reach and is on the "inside" of the circle already, else it would be a double-move charge).

UserClone
2009-01-02, 08:26 AM
R3T18, Zephram
All pretense of bravado aside, Zephram deftly swings the tip of his lance to face the final foe. Setting his foot into the ground he charges yet again, and his concentration pays off, as this time he strikes true, lifting the spectral goblin cleanly off its feet, its small corpse sliding down his lance before dissipating into dark mist. sorry if I took too many liberties with that one; I just got excited to finally hit one of the bastards!:smallbiggrin:
[roll0][roll1]

Douglas
2009-01-02, 09:37 AM
Kael regains his balance and returns to a guard position, looking around for more enemies. On seeing the last spectral creature dissipate on the end of Zephram's spear, he relaxes his guard slightly and thinks back to what the mysterious voice said before the attack.

Huh, so according to that voice we are stars, we are returning, and we are its children. I'm not sure what to make of that, but it was obviously right about a force gathering against us - that was no ordinary attack, however weak it might have been - so I'm willing to trust it about this sword of, what was it, something John? This island seems pretty bare, so I expect we should be seeking it on the mainland over there.

If there is no disagreement, Kael waits for any post-battle healing to be done and then sets off across the stone causeway.

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 10:43 AM
[I will take some liberty to move things on a bit ...]

The only two wounded post-battle are Loath and Anaximander. Ezekiul goes to diagnose/ triage their condition. [OOC: That being said, I expect what I tell you, and not your knowledge of numbers, to guide you here ...]

Anaximander took a solid hit in the shoulder and lost some blood, but is at 70% of total health. The solid hit Loath took in his forearm and intestines (others would call it the stomach, but that organ is actually higher than most think) have him down to 42% of total health. Any post-battle healing [Ezekiul/ Loath] should be conducted with that in mind.

UserClone
2009-01-02, 11:04 AM
"Starkweather John, the voice said," retorts Zephram, reminding Kael. "We are to seek the sword of Starkweather John. More astonishing to me is the notion that a man may be resurrected simply by bearing his body to these stones. I think I should not like to test that promise. Aranu looks unkindly upon the bringing back of the dead."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-02, 11:39 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul scans the area and then laughs. "That was easy!" he says happily. He then turns to exam the wounded. "I still don't know why we are here, or if I can trust you, but by Brith I will do my best to help those who have stood by me in combat."

(ooc - quick and dirty post)

Ezekiul walks over to Loath, lays a hand on his injuries and murmurs "Brith, help this man who bravely fought beside me." [roll0] healing.

{If we rest I will make heal checks to help the injured heal in their sleep}
[roll1] to help loath heal
[roll2] to help Anax heal

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 12:03 PM
"Really? Could it be?" Anaximander asks, as much as to himself as out loud. "Think, Annie ... think! The name is so familiar; damn, I'm a good historian but I need to think!"

The party gives him several seconds as they are bewildered by the sorcerer's sudden delirium.

"I have it!" Anaximander at last cries, then looking at the rest of you.

"I remember a story about a hero named Starkweather John, a fighter of legend from a time when the drow rose from their dark caverns to challenge the surface world. He was one of a group of heroes who come to earth when their time is right, to protect the world from evil forces. The war was all but won, though victory had come at a terrible cost. John was the last man standing. All of his fellow heroes, with whom he had fought for so long, had fallen, never to rise again.

"John pursued his foe, the drow wizard Zomelach, across the island of Chillhame to a village called Bronce. Both of them were intent upon reaching the stone circle at the Tump; John to defend it and Zomelach in a last-ditch attempt to corrupt its power. John and Zomelach finally met and clashed, while frightened villagers watched and recorded what they saw. The air burned with drow magic and screamed with the sound of pitched battle. Zomelach's poisoned weapons bit deep into John's flesh, but not deep enough. With a single decisive sword-blow, the wizard's body fell one way and his head the other. John soon died from the poison.

"Now, assuming that the villagers buried Starkweather John and his sword near the sight of his death ... instead of the sword being spirited away a long distance ... and the fact that a 'tump' is an ancient common word for a small island or patch of stones found just off a shore - just like this one ... that leads me to believe the following: a) Starkweather John might have been like us, one of our forbears; b) we are at the site of that historic last battle of our forbear and his nemesis [Annie gets more and more excited as he speaks]; c) that is not the mainland, per se, but an island called Chillhame - well named with this biting cold wind; d) Bronce must be the village where the sword is buried either within or nearby.

"Only because of historical information am I aware that Blediwesse, a goddess of waters and healing of the Avillon pantheon, is the patron goddess of the region with a famous well that is dressed with flowers on her holy day."

Anaxamander's intellectual contribution spent, he actuallly looks exhausted (especially with his current wound).

Douglas
2009-01-02, 01:06 PM
Kael stares at Anaximander for a few seconds.

That... sounds like quite an interesting story. Starkweather John must have been a very accomplished swordsman. I'd be interested to hear more about him later, particularly if you can remember any details of his fighting techniques. For now, though, the important bit of information in that torrent is that we should be looking for the village of Bronce.

Let's be off now, I feel like a sitting target on this 'tump' after those creatures attacked us, we're not significantly hurt, and the only clue we seem to have to finding out what's going on directed us to find that sword. Plus, it sounds useful:smallbiggrin:.

lostsole31
2009-01-02, 08:51 PM
The ragtag group of adventurers cross the causeway towards the mainland.

The country is hilly and barren, with crumbling flint walls dividing up fields where starved-looking sheep graze. From the shore, the party can clearly see the small town of Bronce along the coast to the west. Among the hills to the south, there are some rotten-looking wooden structures, the above-ground remains of and old mining complex. Alone on a hill to the east is a windmill, with its sails motionless in the air; it is impossible to tell if it is still in use. You travel along a coastal road (more a dirt trail) before finally entering town.

This little settlement has clearly seen better days. Many of the wooden buildings seem to have partly collapsed. The town square is little more than an open muddy space, cut with the ruts of wagon wheels, with a squat stone well in the middle. Off to one side is an inn, the largest building in the vicinity, whose sign proclaims it to be the Golden Nugget. Opposite the inn is an open shop with baskets of dry goods set out front. An aged woman seated by the basket is mending a net and narrows her eyes at you.

UserClone
2009-01-03, 12:38 AM
"Greetings, good madam. I am Zephram, spirit warrior of Aranu, blessed be his name, and these are my comrades. Would I be correct in assuming that yours is the fair village Bronce?"

lostsole31
2009-01-03, 05:20 AM
She sits outside an open dingy store that you feel you would hardly be able to move in were you inside, with much of her wares spilling out into this open-air portion. Barrels and crates threaten to trip the unwary and fishing nets dangle from the ceiling. There is a strong smell of preserving vinegar and tarry hemp. Judging by the dust, some of these goods appear to have been here for decades. Trade is obviously far from brisk.

"Mother Bailey's is open to gold, and closed to chatterboxes. Figure out what you want, I name the price and you take it or leave it, and be on your way," growls the old woman. "Bronce is not a place for the likes of you."

UserClone
2009-01-03, 09:33 AM
"Very well madam. Information then, we seek, and a warm bed besides. What's that worth to you?"

lostsole31
2009-01-03, 03:28 PM
"I have information for ya," she says. "It'll be a silver."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-03, 03:37 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul reaches for his purse and hefts it. He murmurs quietly to the others "However we were put here, I seem to have been left without coin."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-03, 03:40 PM
Jaime slides out of the shadows, over near the woman. He glares at Ezekiul when he hefts the purse, and then at the woman. In a harsh, calm voice: "We will not pay the likes of you for what should be freely given. Tell us what you know. It is of no harm to you."
charisma check, if needed: [roll0]

Douglas
2009-01-03, 04:10 PM
And no gain either, unless you intend to threaten her. She's just trying to make a living, man, and this place certainly seems poor enough to merit trying to squeeze out every scrap she can.

Kael flips a silver piece and catches it.

While we might find what we are looking for cheaper elsewhere I, for one, am willing to part with that price to save time. We heard that a great hero was buried near here a long time ago, by the name of Starkweather John, and we would like to visit his grave.

((Sense motive on whatever information she gives (+9), and just to make sure double-charging is avoided, let me deduct the money from my sheet if and when I hand it over. I will pay only after getting useful information I'm reasonably certain is truthful.))

lostsole31
2009-01-03, 06:32 PM
The old woman is visibly shaken by the sudden appearance of the elf(!) with the strange marking, moreso than any intimidating demeanor he attempts to adopt.

She stammers out a story ... the same story that Anaximander was able to relate, though in her case it is less 'history' and more of a 'common folklore'. Also, she only knows Starkweather John battled a 'dark wizard' and not what race he was or his name. She also mentions that the local priest is Father Bronson and he uses his own house for religious services, since the church collapsed and the village cannot afford to build a new one, and that the Golden Nugget [she points to it] is the only inn in town where you can get a warm bed. She finishes what information she can give you with her eyes down, tears in her eye, and shivering with her right hand shaking severely as if to try to keep composure.

Kael, you realize that she has probably never seen a group of adventurers before ... and while she is confused by what Loath might be, the appearance of an elf - and a whole group of armed, scary folk crowding around her now that Jaime has scared her, really has her shaken. You also realize that Jaime has now made it difficult; this town is obviously a small town and people talk, and while you got a lot from her (even if you already knew most of it) so Jaime was successful, you fear that this may make the townsfolk less "friendly" even if they do help you somehow.

She has no idea where Starkweather John is buried.

Douglas
2009-01-03, 07:25 PM
Kael makes a small gesture for everyone to back off, then crouches down in an attempt to seem less intimidating by not towering over the seated woman as he carefully hands over the coin.

"I apologize if he scared you, ma'am, we really don't mean any harm. Most of that we already knew, but thank you anyway. Might Father Bronson know more? Also, it seems unlikely but I suppose checking out whatever cemetery was attached to the old church might be worth a try. Where is it?"

After getting directions to each of Father Bronson and the cemetery Kael thanks her again and flips over two copper pieces as a bonus.

Realizing that keeping his spear out, even as a walking stick, may not make the best impression in a village like this, he then carefully puts it away in the space reserved for it on his back.

As the party walks away (assuming no one else has anything to say to the woman), he gives Jaime an exasperated look. "Would you mind not scaring people who might help us? Sure it might save a few coins, but that's not exactly a reputation I want, and they might get less helpful - even people other than the one you scare. People talk, you know."

UserClone
2009-01-03, 07:27 PM
Reaching out, Zephram gently takes the woman's hand. "Mum, I'm so sorry if we've frightened you. My men and I, we are merely a bit on edge. You see, we've just recently arrived in your country and we've yet to make a friend. I'm sure you can see why, with as odd a company as we must seem, though I assure you, our intentions are not for ill. You have our sincerest thanks."
He places a silver piece in her hand, gently closing it about the coin. "Please accept this," he continues, placing another silver piece in her hand, "And this, by way of apology."

EDIT: Ninja bastard!:smallyuk::smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2009-01-03, 07:30 PM
((Feel free to assist in calming her down. Or maybe it should be the other way around given our respective diplomacy modifiers. Should we make it a silver piece from each of us instead of the two copper extra from me?))

Gorgondantess
2009-01-03, 08:28 PM
By the time Kael goes to tell him off, Jaime is already off in the distance, about 20 feet away, standing with a detatched look on his face. He ignores Kael.

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 02:11 AM
[OOC: Let me know what you actually give her, but as I don't like "backtrack" actions, Kael would have given her the 1.2 silver pieces. Now, if Zephram wants to continue to engender goodwill by offering up that other silver piece ...]

Where does the party go first? To seek out Father Bronson, to the old church, to get lodging?

"Might I suggest we see to ourselves, first?" Annie asks. "I recommend we get lodging at the Golden Nugget and ask around about these parts. Get a feel for things, you know."

UserClone
2009-01-04, 09:18 AM
Nah, he already did and said anything I would have, so it seems like a wasted gesture at this point, and would only make us look like big spenders/easy marks.(The following assumes we have moved out of visual range of the villager.) Handing Annie a gold piece, Zephram declares, "I must first pay my respect to Father Bronson and the local church, such that it is. I want to have his blessing and his god's, before I eat and sleep in his town. Please secure a room, or a bed at least, for me, won't you Annie?"

Zeph looks up at the crumbling edifice of the Nugget. Looking back to Annie, he adds, "I expect change."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-04, 11:17 AM
Ezekiul

"I too would like to seek out the holy man and his church."

Douglas
2009-01-04, 11:24 AM
(To Anaximander) "Hmm? Oh, yeah, you do that. I'll go..."

Kael pauses for a moment, mindful of Mother Bailey's reaction, and decides it might be better to give Father Bronson some time to absorb news of our presence before interrogating him, however politely. Plus, you never know what random pieces of information might turn up at an inn.

... Never mind. I'll join you in getting lodging here.

Get rooms for the lot of us, trying not to scare the innkeeper in the bargaining process. Two or maybe three rooms should do, I think, unless someone has an objection to sharing. Then I guess we all go make gather information checks.

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 01:15 PM
Annie looks at the other two, "Jaime, why don't you help us with the lodging? You could possibly be less conspicuous and ask around the pub for some information? Loath, even though you are a druid, I recommend you go with the others to see Father Bronson."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-04, 02:37 PM
Jaime takes the gold peice from Annie, walks into the pub, and sets the coin on the counter, asking for lodging for six (or however many are in... I believe six.) When this is provided, he takes his change and goes to his room.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-04, 03:22 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul heads with the others to the priests place.

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 03:50 PM
Annie doesn't relinquish the gold, but he and Kael come with Jaime into the Golden Nugget. As you enter the inn, the conversation stops and all eyes turn to look at you. You now understand why the town looked so empty. It seems everyone is here. Like the other buildings, the inn looks like it is steadily falling apart. There is no sense of happiness but only a glum resignation. A few heartbeats pass, then the drinkers resume their conversation, more quietly than before.

The two-story inn smells of fish and is usually full to the brim with villagers drowning their sorrows in penny ale. The ceiling is smoke-stained.

You ask for rooms, and you are able to get three common rooms with two beds apiece for 15 sp total (Annie covers the excess 5 sp). When you go up to the rooms, you will see that none of the rooms have a lock but can be bolted from the inside, meaning that valuables will not be safe here but that sleep will probably not be disturbed by intruders.

Jaime camps out in a room, while Annie goes back downstairs with Kael to chat up the locals. Annie is careful not to say much about the background of everyone in the group, nor why you are here in Bronce, other than to say that you are adventurers that are 'just traveling through, but have an interest in history.' When Annie's wound is asked about and he mentions that the party defeated some sort of spectral goblins 'outside of town' the townsfolk become a little more interactive (helped along by the morning ale they are consuming). Here are the major points of what Annie (and Kael) learn:

* The settlement's name is Bronce and it is on the island of Chillhame. Eyebrows are raised when Annie appears to not know much about Chillhame. The principal city on the island is Saragost, which lies many days' ride away to the south.
* The headman of the town is Murphy Goodchild. He lives in a large stone house at the west end of the village.
* The local priest is Father Bronson and he uses his own house for religious services, since the church collapsed and the village cannot afford to build a new one. The town worships the gods of the Avillon Pantheon. Blediwesse is the patron goddess of the region and her well is dressed with flowers on the holy days.
* Father Bronson has several illegitimate children in the village. They say he is not really a priest at all but an impostor playing the part of one, which is why the town is failing.
* The island where the stone circle stands is called the Tump.
* Other towns around this area have been attacked from time-to-time by monstrous humanoids such as goblins and orcs. Bronce has always been left alone.
* Starkweather John was a hero of old time, who came to the village near the end of his life, to fight some dark enemy about which little is known, other than the fact he was some kind of dark-skinned magician. He was victorious but the poison in his wounds eventually overcame him. He died in the village and was buried nearby, up in the hills. Nobody ever goes up there these days, as the hills to the west are dangerous - there are savage humanoids up there, which make trouble for the villages round about. Knowing the ways of monsters, the tomb is probably desecrated by now.
* Starkweather John's tomb has a curse upon it. The last person who tried to break into it was turned into a ghoul. He still haunts that spot to this day.
* The town was prosperous until the mines ran out of gold; then it was left to rot. The inn's name dates from that happy time when the town was booming and now seems like an ironic joke; the only golden thing in the place is the smoke-stained ceiling.
* The mines are not safe. They were dug too quickly, without proper planning. A hundred years or so ago, there was a rainstorm that went on for weeks and the lower levels were completely flooded.
* The ghosts of dead miners now haunt the old mines. Both Annie and Kael believe that the speaker of this nugget of information is not being entirely honest when he mentions that nobody ever goes up there.
* Annie asks about the spectral goblins after giving them a description of the battle, but nobody here has ever heard of shadowy goblins appearing out of the earth and attacking people. They are quite willing to believe in them, however.

lostsole31
2009-01-04, 04:08 PM
For the other three, you go to where Mother Bailey directed you. The door opens when knocked, and a middle-aged man with mutton-chop whiskers, a perpetually grave expression, and a basso-profundo voice asks, "How may I help you?"

Seeing the three of you - two of you well armed and armored, and the other of you not quite ... human - he seems a little taken aback but is able to recover his senses quickly.

UserClone
2009-01-04, 04:21 PM
"Greetings. Father Bronson, I presume? I am Zephram, this is Ezekiul, and this is our friend Loath. We've come to pay respect to the gods, and to help you with your church if you would ask it of us...well, I suppose I can only speak for myself in that last regard, but the offer stands."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-04, 06:34 PM
Ezekiul

"Good sir," Ezekiul says, "he is correct, we have had a trying day and seek the comfort of the divine to sooth our souls. May we come in and pray?"

srgonzo
2009-01-05, 11:26 AM
Annie continues to listen and encourage the townsfolk to talk until they leave.
Kael, I think we'll need to talk to the others privately. Judging from Zephram's reaction to the idea of a cleric being in town, I don't think he'll take too well to the idea of Father Bronson being, um, less than pure. Besides that, I think it's kind of odd that there's an abandoned gold mine near the location of Starkweather John's tomb.(OOC: Ok, I didn't read anything that explicitly states that, but I inferred it, since I didn't think there'd be twosets of hills people don't go to.)I don't have a lot of background information to suss everything out, but we do know what direction we should take.

Annie passes the rest of the time tagging along after Kael and tries to avoid the innkeeper's hairy eyeball by ordering non-alcoholic beverages and some food.

lostsole31
2009-01-05, 02:25 PM
Kael, you might as well have a meal as well ...

Elsewhere in town ...

"I am Father Tobias Bronson," the priest says, "please, do come in." As he says this, he nods and smiles broadly to Zephram as he walks through. As Ezekiul follows, Father Bronson smiles until he looks down at the holy symbol of Brith; he allows Ezekiul to pass, but eyes him with a mixture of curiosity, wonder, and suspicion. Then Loath passes through, and Father Bronson has to blink a few times to check if what he sees is real.

He offers to serve you some hot tea and honey, and some bread with butter. "Welcome, travelers," he says once everyone that wants anything is served. "Each of you is markedly different from the other, and all not from here; though it is nice to see a wandering member of the Avillonian clericy, is it? And what of you, stranger, who do worship the old gods of the elves? Both of the sun, both of you ... how strange.

"And what - what is he?" Father Bronson asks Zephram, only partially lowering his voice.

After an answer, he says, "Fascinating, how may I be of service to you?"

DJDeMiko
2009-01-05, 03:38 PM
Ezekiul

"Father," Ezekiul says in a happy and booming tone, "how good it is, after this day, to find a holy place to rest and a kind gesture of a snack to weary travelers. As is obvious, we are not from here . . . but are looking to learn more about this area. There have been some strange going-ons today and I don't know if it is the work of the divine . . . or something else. If you would bear with us, could we intrude upon your time and ask you about some of the local legengs?"

UserClone
2009-01-05, 03:50 PM
"I respect any worshipper of the sun; whatever name he chooses to give Aranu is no concern of mine. I believe our worship is the same."

"As for our feral friend," Zephram says with a nod to Loath, "I'm afraid I've too much respect for his privacy, not to mention too much simple couth, to ask someone 'what' he is. Clearly he is a man, no?"

After a brief pause, Zephram seems to come to a decision. "I'm going to be straightforward with you, Father. We seek the sword of Starkweather John. Know that we seek it not for ill, but for its destined purpose. Anyone with information that leads to our aquisition of the blade will be rewarded."

lostsole31
2009-01-05, 04:32 PM
@Arq Kujos/ Lucious: ... this will be familiar to everyone else.
At first, it feels as if you must be dreaming. The sense of dislocation, the giddiness, the feeling of flying rapidly through space, all add to the unreality. Where are you? What were you doing a moment ago? These thoughts arise in your mind, as if you were half-awake, on the borderlands of consciousness. Perhaps you have been knocked senseless, or poisoned with some hallucinogenic drug. One thing is certain; you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here.

What you see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realize that this is no dream. You are here, physically here in your body, fully dressed and carrying your equipment. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You feel no pain, so it stands to reason that you were not knocked out and dragged here. How, then, did you come to be here?

Alone in the midst, you wonder why you do not feel more afraid. There is a presence here, something old and comforting, like a childhood memory.

The mist begins to clear. In the faint light of a new day, you see the huge forms that you glimpsed before. They are megaliths - standing stones that tower over you, set into the form of a circle. This place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before.

Through the thinning mists, you see that you are alone. It is dawn, and the mists have yet to fully clear, so visibility is not very good. You can tell that you are in a stone circle 30 feet across, but nothing more than that with casual observation. What do you do?

@Those with Father Bronson:
"Well, other than the fact that Brith was originally an elven god, as was the Callistan pantheon ... I guess for the most part, minus a few parts of 'focus' both gods are really very closely aligned, for as much on outlook as just the aspect of the sun," responds Father Bronson. "Oh, and feel free to call me Tobias, gentlemen."

"And while I would never have thought of you as a 'man', sir" he says to Loath, "you are with these worthies and as such I will assume that you are their peer; so shall I try to treat you with respect."

"I will tell you what I know, and entertain you with what I can about what you're like to find here."

• The settlement’s name is Bronce and it is on the island of Chillhame. His eyebrows raise when you don't appear to know much more than the name of this island and only the local town, but otherwise he does not respond much. The principal city on the island is Saragost, which lies many days’ ride away to the east.
• The headman of the town is Murphy Goodchild. He lives in a large stone house at the west end of the village.
• The town worships the gods of the Avillon Pantheon. Blediwesse is the patron Goddess of the region and her well is dressed with flowers on the holy days.
• The island where the stone circle stands is called the Tump.
• Other towns around this area have been attacked from time to time by monstrous humanoids such as goblins and orcs. Bronce has always been left alone.
• The town was prosperous until the mines ran out of gold; then it was left to rot.
• The mines are not safe. They were dug too quickly, without proper planning. A hundred years or so ago, there was a rainstorm that went on for weeks and the lower levels were completely flooded.
• If your characters mention what attacked you, Father Bronson has never heard of shadowy goblins appearing out of the earth and attacking people. He is quite willing to believe that evil can take such a form, however.
• Father Bronson came here three years ago and has built up quite a sizeable congregation. He is quite proud of this fact given that before he got here the people felt that the Gods had abandoned them. There is still an air of resignation, and he would like to rebuild the old church but lacks the money; of course, if the PCs wish to make a contribution ...
• Starkweather John was a hero of old time, who came to the village near the end of his life, to fight some dark enemy about which little is known. He was victorious but the poison in his wounds eventually overcame him. He died in the village and was buried nearby, up in the hills. Nobody ever goes up there these days, as the hills to the west are dangerous – there are savage humanoids up there, which make trouble for the villages round about. Knowing the ways of monsters, the tomb is probably desecrated by now. He doesn't know where the sword of Starkweather John would be if not there.

Douglas
2009-01-06, 05:54 PM
Annie continues to listen and encourage the townsfolk to talk until they leave.
Kael, I think we'll need to talk to the others privately. Judging from Zephram's reaction to the idea of a cleric being in town, I don't think he'll take too well to the idea of Father Bronson being, um, less than pure. Besides that, I think it's kind of odd that there's an abandoned gold mine near the location of Starkweather John's tomb.(OOC: Ok, I didn't read anything that explicitly states that, but I inferred it, since I didn't think there'd be twosets of hills people don't go to.)I don't have a lot of background information to suss everything out, but we do know what direction we should take.

Annie passes the rest of the time tagging along after Kael and tries to avoid the innkeeper's hairy eyeball by ordering non-alcoholic beverages and some food.
I have no objection to not mentioning that little fact to Zephram. We have more important things to deal with, and yes I think we do know where to go next now.

OOC: The hills are avoided due to orcs and goblins. The mines are avoided due to haunting, and I didn't notice any mention of the mines being in a set of hills. I don't think there is any connection between the two, but that seems trivial information to confirm. Lostsole31, are the mines in the same hills as the tomb?

Also, is there a reason no one with Father Bronson has posted in the last day? The pace before that was pretty good, but if we skip whole days too often this could get unbearably slow.

UserClone
2009-01-06, 09:03 PM
"How much do you think it would take to rebuild a real temple to honor the gods? I for one would certainly be willing to help you get it done."

lostsole31
2009-01-07, 11:10 AM
God-Boys
"Unfortunately, Zephram, I do not know," replies Father Bronson. "I was going to wait until I had managed to procure 500 gp, and then I was going to request the Builder's Guild in Saragost send an architect to come to Bronce. That way, he coud make an estimate, I could hire him for restructural planning, and any leftover could be to begin construction.

"Still, I know I probably would need much more. The stone in the area of the old mines is not good building material, so quarries have to be contacted elsewhere. I am a fair carpenter, but no professional, so skilled tradesmen would need to be brought in as well.

"I am not trying to make a cathedral so much as merely take what is there and make it whole again - at least whole enough to gather a congregation properly."

"Still, it is hard for anyone to want to come up here. The humanoids bother everyone else around us, even though through the blessings of Blediwesse we have been - Lady bless us - been left unmolested; and then Jim Oakenbough and his cronies like to make life difficult for everyone. You watch out for that one, he has the entire town under his thumb practically."
Bar Crowd

Rumors of monstrous humanoids revolve around wooded hills to the east. The tomb of Starkweather John is in the wooded hills to the west. The mines, however, are just off the hills to the north ... you saw the ruined structures for them when you came into Bronce from the Tump.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-07, 12:25 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul frowns at the mans comment.

"Makes trouble for you," he says, "what do you mean? It is not proper to interfere with a man's worship . . ."

lostsole31
2009-01-07, 12:38 PM
"Well, not me, personally. But even though I have built up a nice congregation and gotten to know people pretty well ... it still seems that people hush up when he is around and are afraid of him even when he isn't. Anyhow, he and his fellers move through town like they own the place, and the town treats them like they actually do. I am sure that what little trade we do should have more revenue, and yet no one seems like they ever have any extra earnings. I can't prove it, but I swear that Oakenbough has something to do with it.

"Daven Gaskell, the town constable, seems unwilling to do anything. And young Morton Gimbert, the deputy, has been laughed at when he tried standing up to Jim and his boys."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-07, 12:54 PM
Ezekiul

"That is no good at all," Ezekiul says, more to himself than the others present. "We will have to discuss this with the others in our group."

lostsole31
2009-01-07, 01:12 PM
"Now, now," Father Bronson says, "While I would love Jim Oakenbough and his boys to get their comeuppance ... this is a town matter and we of Bronce need to handle that matter properly as we can. However, Zephram, as you are a warrior of Aranu, the god of laws, perhaps you could say something heartening to Daven. He was once a respected lawman, but I think his age and Jim's several punks make him feel that he can't do anything or ask for help from more deputies or from the authorities in Saragost. Morton is growing into a fine yeoman, but he is young and inexperienced and the town doesn't yet respect him, either.

"I want the fear to leave the people of this town, but as its spiritual leader I can't say as I or Daven will warm to any lawless shenanigans or vigilantism to do it. Adventurers need to save adventuring for outside of town walls - such as with them monstrous humanoids, for example.

"Now, you boys strike me as knowledgeable and true concerning old Starkweather John and that sword. I don't think you are going to find anything at his tomb, but if you do, may the gods light your way. If you do find that sword, well it would be nice to know that a famous weapon of good was brought back into the world into such fine hands as yours to do what Aranu has set forth for you. If you boys need anything, healing or what-not, come to me and for an appropriate donation I will tend to you."

Unless you have any other questions for Father Bronson, he will mention that he does need to get to finishing up a sermon he was writing before you came to his house.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-07, 01:52 PM
Ezekiul

When the group leaves Ezekiul will kindly thank their host and offer a small blessing upon the home.

As they walk away Ezekiul says to the other two, "I don't know about you two, but after our day a little hospitality from a man of faith went a long way towards soothing my nerves."

lostsole31
2009-01-07, 02:12 PM
Where do the three God-Boys go now? You spent about three to four hours in conversation and such at Father Bronce's house. It is now getting to be about noon.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-08, 10:57 AM
Ezekiul

The three will head back to town to meet up with the others.

Douglas
2009-01-08, 11:36 AM
When Kael sees the three come back from Father Bronson he waves them over for a group conference.

According to the rumors we've managed to gather, Starkweather John's tomb is in the hills to the west. Probably desecrated by monsters of some sort, and also rumored to be protected by a curse that supposedly turned the last would-be looter into a ghoul who still haunts the place. There was some more about a haunted defunct gold mine on the north side of town but that doesn't seem very important to me right now. I think some people may have some stuff hidden up there, and it might be worth checking out if the tomb turns up empty, but I'd ignore it for now. There are also plenty of stories about goblins and orcs and the like, but they seem centered to the east, away from the tomb.

I suggest we head out west looking for the tomb tomorrow morning. We may meet a travelling band or two of orcs on the way but I wouldn't expect any really large groups. Depending on how reliable that particular rumor is we may also have to deal with a ghoul when we find the place. The sword may or may not be there, but it's the best guess we've got and it probably at least has a clue to where else to look.

Did you get any information from Father Bronson that might change that?

((DM correct me if any of my understanding of the information is obviously wrong.))

DJDeMiko
2009-01-08, 12:18 PM
Ezekiul

"Father Bronson suggested much the same about the fate of the sword, though he did mention some suspicious going-ons with some of the townsfolk. He thinks that a group may be up to no good, suggested that some of the townsfolk don't seem to have as much money as they should and that the group may be responsible. But he asked us to not intervene."

lostsole31
2009-01-08, 01:46 PM
So, it sounds - unlike anyone else dissents - that y'all're gonna' go to Starkweather John's tomb tomorrow.

Questions from DM:
1) Is anyone going to ask for directions to the tomb, or are you going to just blindly try to find it?
2) Is anyone else going to try to find anything else out, or are you pretty sure you've mind every bit of decent 'gossip/rumor' out of the locals?
3) Also, the God-Boys all had decent food and drink (very Avillonian of Father Bronson) and Kael and Annie already paid for food. What about Jaime? Does he come out of his room, find out what's going on, and pay for a meal for himself?
4) Annie is still wounded. Is Ezekiul going to cast a cure light wounds on him to top him off?

Once these are answered, we will move on with the next day.

Douglas
2009-01-08, 02:26 PM
Questions from DM:
1) Is anyone going to ask for directions to the tomb, or are you going to just blindly try to find it?
I mentioned that once in OOC. My vote is that whether or not we want secrecy on this, which I'm not sure we do, it's already blown. See if we can find any directions, but I'm not sure how good or reliable they will be.

2) Is anyone else going to try to find anything else out, or are you pretty sure you've mind every bit of decent 'gossip/rumor' out of the locals?
Since we (I think) have most of an afternoon and evening remaining today, we might as well spend that time on more gather information checks. I, personally, will spend part of that time practicing my martial arts. However many checks you decide we have time for, reduce it by one for me for the time I spend on that. I do not mind an audience, but won't put much effort into catering to one either.

Whether we seek information specifically about Oakenbough or not is something I will leave to the rest of the party. Other than that, the mines and more details about the monstrous humanoid activity seem the only things of note we've turned up so far to pursue besides the tomb and sword.

4) Annie is still wounded. Is Ezekiul going to cast a cure light wounds on him to top him off?
It would have to be three cure minors now. Only the domain slot is left for his first level spells, and that can't be converted to cures.

OOC I suggest that Loath take advantage of the house rule about changing prepared spells during the day (takes an hour, I think) to cast Goodberry twice before we go to bed.

lostsole31
2009-01-08, 02:59 PM
I mentioned that once in OOC. My vote is that whether or not we want secrecy on this, which I'm not sure we do, it's already blown. See if we can find any directions, but I'm not sure how good or reliable they will be.

No problem. The townsfolk (many of switched out and others are there for lunch/ evening proudly tell you where the tomb is. The gold may be gone, but the historical/ legendary legacy that Starkweather John left for Bronce is their one remaining source of pride.

It would have to be three cure minors now. Only the domain slot is left for his first level spells, and that can't be converted to cures.

Yup, you're right. Of course, Loath could change his prepared spells and help a little, too ...

OOC I suggest that Loath take advantage of the house rule about changing prepared spells during the day (takes an hour, I think) to cast Goodberry twice before we go to bed.

Yes, it takes an hour to re-allocate. Also, it would require Loath to actually go foraging for berries.
The Men About Town
A little after midday, after all but Jaime got together to 'compare notes', a large man and some followers enter the Golden Nugget. The main fellow is tall and brawny, smiling and polite, but with menacing undertones. He is armed with a longsword of fine make, and also wears a shortbow with a full quiver.

The next man after that is a weaselly-featured, scowling man. Anyone who gets close to him will note that he has a bad body odor. He doesn't speak much. His sidearm is a rapier, and also carries a shortbow.

After that is a beefy, taciturn man with greasy features. He scoops up a fellow patron's not-yet-eaten chicken leg, takes a bite, and then takes the man's ale. The patron simply allows this to happen. This man is the only one who carries a small shield, and also is outfitted with a fine quality longsword.

The last of this quartet is a tall, scrawny fellow with long, lank hair. He cracks mediocre to bad jokes, and has the terrible habit at snickering at them (his own jokes, that is). His sidearm is a shortsword, but he also has a finely crafted heavy crossbow with two cases of bolts. He wears several rings and an earring.

All of the men are wearing studded leather armor.

The first one (the big one) talks with a patron, the latter of whom pays him a few silver pieces for some unknown business. The patron then points to your group and says something to the big man.

The brawny fellow calls to your table from across the tavern, not even bothering to come over to the table so much as projects so everyone in the tavern knows he is greeting you: "Welcome to Bronce, travelers! I am Jim Oakenbough and these here are my boys (respectively, as above) Hal Bertram, Tom Cucksmere, and Jacko Fenn. We hope you find our little town to your liking. What brings you here, and from where did it bring you?"

It doesn't take a Sense Motive check to notice that the mood is definitely different in here now. People still talk to you, but they seem a little more reticent to do so then they had before. It's as if they don't want to upset this man by being too friendly with your group.

srgonzo
2009-01-08, 03:33 PM
Upon seeing the bully Oakenbough make someone else pay him for the privilege of stealing his food, Anaximander turns to stare at his cup of tea. His eyes narrow in anger over this obviously accepted injustice, and he says softly to his compatriots:

I think one of you had better talk to this guy, but if you anger him, we may be in for more trouble than he's really worth.

Anaximander makes note of the weasel-featured man's location in relation to the others, and activates his psionic tattoo.

Douglas
2009-01-08, 03:45 PM
his two compatriots
OOC you mean 4, 5 if Jaime is here (haven't seen Gorgondantess post here in a while). The party has reunited.

Kael lets the more diplomatic party members speak first for the moment while he quietly sizes up the group of bullies from his present position.

((Complete Adventurer has rules for using Sense Motive to assess how tough opponents are, I believe, though I'm away from my books atm.))

DJDeMiko
2009-01-08, 03:53 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul gives the man a hard stare, he considers speaking angrily with the man for a moment, but then reminds himself that the good father Bronson asked them to let the town settle such matters.

"I am Ezekiul, priest and sword of Brith and these are my companions, we have come to your town to learn more about your local legends," Ezekiul says in a polite but firm tone.

lostsole31
2009-01-08, 04:37 PM
[OOC: Yes, indeed ... I rewrote and sent that very rule about Sense Motive to a DM in another, now defunct game. Also: Jim was paid by a patron different from the one whose food and drink were liberated by Tom Cucksmere.]

"Well, we here at Bronce are glad for it," he says. "We don't get many travellers in these parts, and the humanoids affecting the other towns, well ... they seem to have left us alone so far but word's gotten out about the whole north and now no one wants to come up here. It's been bad for business all around.

"You know," he continues, "I'm sure as the humanoids have been doing pretty well for themselves, you could get you some decent coin if your worthy-looking crew were the ones to do somethin' about that problem after yer' done sightseeing at Starkweather's grave. I know that we'd be appreciative, you might get rich from them monsters, and you'd help out the entire town in the process as others'd wanna come back up this way. As long as you didn't overstay your welcome, I would venture to say we'd be so appreciative that we in Bronce would see to cutting you a discount on room and board whenever you come through these parts."

[He is a simple man, but of good bearing, and not a trained diplomat. Diplomacy result for him was a 12.]

Kael and Zephram notice that during that entire 'suggestion', Jim spoke as much (remember, he is talking loudly across a hushed tavern) to the rest of the patrons as to you. Once he is done with the above, all of the patrons (a lot since it is time for the noon-day meal) look at your table - expectantly and hopefully. :smallamused:

srgonzo
2009-01-08, 05:23 PM
Anaximander speaks softly to the adventurers.

Blindly searching around the countryside isn't going to do us any good, unless something at the tomb directs us towards something else around here. Besides, I think we'll have worn out our welcome as soon as we find something unsavory about these men.

Anaximander continues to keep an eye on the thugs.

Douglas
2009-01-08, 05:40 PM
Kael gazes levelly at Jim.

We'll think about it. Coin's all well and good, but I have a feeling if they were really that rich and that easy to beat you would have taken care of it already.

lostsole31
2009-01-08, 05:52 PM
Kael gazes levelly at Jim.

We'll think about it. Coin's all well and good, but I have a feeling if they were really that rich and that easy to beat you would have taken care of it already.

"What, me? I just run and rent out the mill. My army days are long over. But you boys's a young bunch of rolling muscles. But I understand. Humanoids are probably a little bit too much for the likes of you."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-08, 06:24 PM
sworn I posted more recently... but these forums are being difficult lately. Jaime would've been walking about town, trying to get a layout for the past while. By this time he'd be back in the golden nugget to eat. Definitely somewhere in a shadowy corner, coz that's his thing, so they probably wouldn't notice him. BTW, I haven't described his getup: while he is a very distinctive feature, and obviously does something other than farming, it is not obvious that he is an adventurer. Over his armor, he wears a poncho-like thing, a tan, tattered thing. It reaches down to his knees or so, so under it not much armor can be seen; at first glance it's still obvious that he's wearing tough clothing (the boots and thigh apparel can be seen), and that he does some rough living. Other than this, his only equipment is some picks and daggers, all hidden among his clothes. Let's say it's a take 10 disguise and sleight of hand for all this. I'll also take 10 on a hide check here, to try to avoid notice, so that's a 19.

Douglas
2009-01-08, 09:32 PM
Kael

(To Jim, matching his volume so the whole room can hear easily) Oh, young and muscle I'll grant you, but I'm no fool to think I can beat a dozen orcs at once. Not yet. Vet like you, though, you look like you've been through a few tough spots, learned a few tricks, and got yourself a fine sword besides. Seems to me that should make up for a bit of strength, and you don't strike me as the type to turn down easy money. Now if you're lazy or scared I can understand that, but don't try to tell me you'd turn down a high loot cakewalk.

(To the rest of the room) Now if anyone has reliable information that the sum total of monstrous humanoids in the area really is a manageable number, preferably with some useful details about where they camp and such, then we might seriously consider it. After taking care of our own business.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-11, 11:59 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul snorts a small laugh at the statement.

lostsole31
2009-01-11, 04:56 PM
"Sorry, can't help you with anything reliable," Jim says. "But I'm not foolish enough ... just that you looked like you might be. Seems to be different, but that's okay, too. Bronce could use your business, and you can't do that if you go out and get yerselves killed."

At this point, unless you have more to say, he goes with his mates to get a table and they sit down and chat amongst themselves.

Douglas
2009-01-11, 07:21 PM
Satisfied with the outcome of this confrontation, Kael returns to his meal.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-11, 07:46 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul also eats and tries to make small talk with the others.

"So," he says, "we find yourself together for unusual reasons. Perhaps we should get to know each other?"

lostsole31
2009-01-12, 01:23 AM
Annie, Kael, & Loath see the 6th of their crew off at a small table by himself, trying to disguise himself so as to not be noticed. This sixth member is the elf who only said enough to scare Mother Bailey previously, but otherwise has said very little to the rest of you.

Do you 'fast forward the day' or do you try to get Jaime into the mix and, as Ezekiul said, try to get to know one another?

Later that day, Kael goes off alone to talk with residents and then practice his martial arts.

srgonzo
2009-01-12, 02:34 PM
Annie walks over to Jamie's table.

Would you like to join the rest of us? I think you might have some insights as to how we're going to get along here. Some people are frightened by anything or anyone they don't understand. Personally, I find new things and people quite fascinating.

Douglas
2009-01-12, 03:33 PM
At some point during the day, Kael mentions to Zephram, Ezekiul, and Loath (everyone else already knew) that the tomb is supposedly cursed, and the last would-be looter was turned into a ghoul. The villagers have been quite emphatic on this detail, and I would not be surprised if the curse is real. However, that voice that spoke to us at the stone circle has proven knowledgable and seems in my judgment to have our best interests at heart. I doubt it would send us straight into a terrible curse. Also, it seemed to be suggesting that we somehow have a right to this sword, and any properly set curse would only strike wrongful looters. In any case, we should be prepared to fight the rumored ghoul when we find the tomb.

srgonzo
2009-01-12, 04:20 PM
Annie chuckles softly
I wouldn't say it has our best interests at heart. Odds are we are useful tools for its purpose. Once we stop being useful, we may either find ourselves without its benevolence or in a sticky situation. To that end, we, and by 'we' I mean all six of us, probably have either the knowledge or skills necessary to solve whatever riddle is presented by the curse. It's entirely possible the sword holds a curse for "all but he (or she) who is meant to wield it," and there might be some sort of prophecy which will reveal who that person is. Who knows, it may even be one of you. Personally, I wouldn't try actually wielding a sword since I'm more liable to hurt myself or one of you by accident than anyone else on purpose.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-12, 06:23 PM
"I do not fright," Jaime says levelly. "And yes, I will join you, if that is your wish." Once at the table, he presents his thoughts. "We should go to the tomb, obviously. It may be the key to some kind of progress, what I am unaware. For now, that is our priority. We can discuss the details once we get there."

UserClone
2009-01-12, 06:40 PM
"Your words cut that man to the bone, and all without even drawing steel," Zephram says to Kael, with more than a hint of respect. "Perhaps if I learned to exercise my words the way I exercise my arm, someday I will be able to duplicate that feat. Well done, sir."

To the rest of the group, he nods.

"To the tomb it is to be, then. But with a ghoul stalking us, mightn't we seek a sage in order that we should learn of how best and most easily to defeat such a creature? After all, I see no reason we should rush headlong to our deaths when we could spend twice as long preparing and return with the entirety of the party who sets out upon this quest."

lostsole31
2009-01-12, 07:27 PM
Side note: Before Annie accosted Jaime, and when all of you were talking, Jaime was with food and drink. He probably brings his stew and house wine with him to the table when he joins the rest of you. Neither Annie, Kael, nor Loath can ever remember him being served by the wench. :smallsmile:

Douglas
2009-01-12, 07:29 PM
Kael nods towards Zephram. Thank you, though that exchange was more about understanding the man than crafting words. I could tell he is no slouch in combat himself, good enough that if ridding the hills of orcs would be easy for us it would also be easy for him and his gang. A fair fight between them and us would likely end with deaths on both sides, and I am not certain who would win. It is quite apparent from what we have seen and heard that he is a greedy bully as well, and from there it was simple to turn his own argument against him.

As for a sage, I doubt one exists in this run down place. Unless one of the six of us already has such knowledge, finding someone who does might be a quest in itself. Besides, the same logic, mine or Annie's, that applies to the curse also applies to the ghoul. It may be dangerous, but I expect the six of us can handle it as long as we don't get too careless.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-12, 07:35 PM
Ezekiul

"A ghoul is a nasty creature," Ezekiul says. "They carry foul disease in their mouth, which can prove deadly and their very smell can make a man nauseous. Nasty indeed."

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 12:18 PM
So, here we go, Loath … let the dreaming begin.

You are sleeping that night with Jaime in his room … if for no other reason than you are both introverted and not chatting suits both of you just fine. You have trouble sleeping, as the town and this inn seems like some dead thing placed as a cancre upon the land. All around you are the vestiges of death and discorporation: the plant fibers so far removed from their original purpose so as to be unrecognizeable with the odd blankets on the bed; the bed, like a grisly sculpture of the bones of what looks from the grain like it was once a fine tree; the room itself, likewise, the disemboweling of the forest and made as a grim form of taxidermy for the Old Ones (great old trees) who stand guard over the land. All of these things, and more … and in all of it the mood of the people are like death as well.

Rightfully afraid of the monsters which are purported to haunt the area ‘round Bronce, and feeling a link – even if not shared in any way philosophically – with the other characters of your group, you did not seek to take refuge in the woods this evening. You recognize this attachment to the others as having no supernatural skein, but merely the shared psychology of being strangers in a strange land. Beyond that, nothing really connects you to them. But that voice at the Tump …

You sensed it. Faintly, but you sensed it. It was Old. It was the power of the world, the earth. You feel a focus on the power of the wild, of beasts, yet it is the symbiosis of all beasts to the land that require respect as well. The stone circle at the Tump even felt slightly … comfortable. But you knew when you came here that yours is not for comfort; you are the champion of the beasts, and Wohoon’s priest. Survival is the only concern; and when survival is met, you must find where survival is threatened. And that is why you are here … because the voice which spoke at the Tump most powerfully spoke to you, and you recognize beyond the intellectualism of the others that the Survival of All is at stake. You don’t know why you know this; but you don’t care why you know this, either. That is the mark of your wisdom, of your faith. That you don’t need all the answers to hunt for a solution, that one can never know all the answers. That is the mystery of …

… and so you sleep pondering these thoughts. Your body finally, even in this spiritually bereft town, finds the centering and peace it needs to transport yourself. Many hours you sleep, resting well from the traumatic day prior, and certainly dream the dreams which are the standard, random, fleeting veils of illusion that are paradoxical to all reason when awake and yet make sense (or not) when in reverie. The dreams take form, distinct form, in fact … more than you thought could be realistic. Your spirit floats at impossible speed over the land as the starry, half-moon sky in the firmament lights your way … past forests, meadows, hills – and in those hills your spirit descends sharply underneath into yawning blackness. You steel yourself against the fear of the unseen and unknown by telling yourself that you are entering the bones and belly of the Earth, and surely Wohoon means for beasts to hunt, thrive and survive in their own unique way here, right?

You see nothing, yet sense yourself turning, twisting, descending, ascending, and then diving deeper yet again through unseen passageways until you stop. You stop and sense Something. In a split second, you feel that this Something senses your sudden arrival and stop, and without seeing it turn you sense it turn from its previous attention towards you in the abyss of blackness. A red eye opens directly in front of your own. And you know Terror.

You awake, lathered and foaming with sweat, and ashamed that something that most assuredly had malicious intellect could so frighten you, who know so well to divest yourself of fear by subsuming your consciousness into the Beast within. This vision will stay with you for a long time …

Douglas
2009-01-13, 12:24 PM
Kael considers Ezekiul's words. "So be careful about the mouth. As for the stench... I suppose we could try making nose plugs and holding our breath when we get near, but I'm none too sure how effectively we could block our sense of smell and the stench might serve as an advance warning."

"How deadly is this disease, and how good are each of you at treating such things? Just how bad is it if one of us gets bitten?"

"Is there any additional preparation any of you can think of? My skills are focused on the battle itself, there is little I could do to prepare but practice."

Edit: ninja'ed by the DM. I can't think of any significant preparations we might be able to make besides the goodberries that didn't happen, so go ahead with the morning departure? Or wait for more people to comment?

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 01:19 PM
The next morning, you all enjoy just a little bit of bread and cheese and ponder this day’s task based on the information gleaned from yesterday …

(Consider it a ‘free, complimentary, continental breakfast’ – um, on the island – when you stay at any one of our luxurious, two-star Golden Nugget hotels, with locations in Chillhame, Caldraza, or Ghael! Athletic facilities and pool spa not included.)
……………………………..
Yesterday
Greta Fenton, the old washerwoman, had told Annie yesterday in her toothy (as in singular tooth), cackly-gruff voice: “Sthtahkwedder Zhon’s tomb liezh jess to teh wes’ o Bwonce, on(h) ta outsth-kutsth of teh ‘illage … kootie.” After that, and impossible to put in quotes, was a husky, conspiratorially-low, cackling laugh ended by a lascivious glare that frightened Annie in reality more than any of the various monsters he had studied.

Annie had stared at this plough-faced monstrosity whose brawn seemed to match the likes of Oakenbough, what with the annoying speech impediment brought on by the visually distracting tooth and the extremely bizarre behavior. So focused on attempting to divine just what it was she was saying, he missed all other things she said without saying and looked in horror at Kael, not wanting to be rude to the woman by asking her to repeat herself … which likely would have been a futile task.

Kael and Annie, having had plenty of time on their hands, had already realized that they had a shared command of the beauty of the elven language. And in that language, Kael responded exactly as she had said, but in Elven: “She said, Starkweather John’s tomb lies just to the west of Bronce, on the outskirts of the village.” At this, Kael cracks just the slightest smirk and adds the last word: “Cutie.”

Annie, in shock at the last word, swallows hard enough in a state of semi-paralysis that several patrons look over to see if there is a frog in the tavern.

“Was ‘oor name, anyweh, honeh?” Greta asks Anaximander.

Not yet in command of his senses, Mr. Shuul answers, “Anaximander Shuul, but most simply call me Annie.”

She looks at Annie with a mixture of profound disappointment and remarks sadly as she leaves your table, “A gehl’sth nehm?” :sigh: “Isth alwehs teh koot ‘uns.”

………………………………
Return to Present

You gathering your belongings, and tell the innkeeper that you intend to return but want to check out just in case. He responds that "it ain't tourist season - ever - so it's not like yer' gonna' have trouble getting yer' rooms agin."

It is a short walk outside of the village to the western wooded hills. You find what must be the Tomb in question. The tomb is made from four square stone slabs laid end to end on a base made from stone blocks.

Carved onto the stone slabs is some sort of inscription that is overgrown with moss. You approach, carefully as possible, and begin clearing off the very thick moss. The entire process takes a good 30 minutes as you have to be careful in removing the moss without taking a surface of the tomb off at the same time (and thus reducing the legibility of the inscription).

With all of the languages that each of you speak ... not a single one of you can read what is written. Since each of you spend some time in this area, there are things you might notice about the area ...

Spot checks rolled by DM for all characters
Anaximander - Spot #1 = [roll0]; Spot #2 = [roll1]
Kael Kione - Spot #1 = [roll2]; Spot #2 = [roll3]
Jaime - Spot #1 = [roll4]; Spot #2 = [roll5]
Loath - Spot #1 = [roll6]; Spot #2 = [roll7]
Zephram - Spot #1 = [roll8]; Spot #2 = [roll9]
Ezekiul - Spot #1 = [roll10]; Spot #2 = [roll11]

The religiously studious ones are fascinated by the tomb, and Loath gets mildly frustrated watching the fracas and shows them best how to carefully separate moss from stone. Kael, while overcome with excitement at the possibility of what lies within - of the link from a warrior of old to possibly himself - yet wisely stands back to keep guard since most other eyes are focused on the tomb. Jaime, for his part, is stands disinterestedly to the side.

The two standing away from the tomb, Jaime and Kael, take note of some oddities in the area. It seems there are signs of a recent battle nearby, at the edge of the woods. The ground is trampled and there are splashes of gore on nearby tree branches. As they both give a deeper look, Kael and Jaime notice an arrow embedded in a tree trunk, clearly fired out of the woods, while a second set leads away down the hill.

So, you have a tomb with an inscription that none of you can read; an as yet unopened tomb; and, signs of battle nearby.

What do you do?

srgonzo
2009-01-13, 02:33 PM
Psst, it may not have been mentioned explicitly in character, but you've received three Cure Minor Wounds from Ezekiul before we sleep. Plus, we seem to already be there, though your caution may be wise later.

DOH!

(OOC: Is there any possibility we can recognize what language it is? That may provide some clue as to the meaning)

Annie looks through his posessions to see if he has something to either do a rubbing of the stones or at least copy the symbols written on them. Having no luck, he asks if anyone has pen and paper, or at least a bit of charcoal and something to write on.

I should have thought to have something like that. It may be unwise to start opening that tomb if we can't read these stones. The stones may have the conditions we need for opening the tomb inscribed upon them. Maybe we can make a copy and show it to someone who may possess the knowledge to interpret these markings. Of course, it might be easier for one of you stronger types to just carry the stones back to town.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-13, 03:02 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul surveys the battle sight with his warriors eye and tries to measure up the size of the battle.

"Someone must have survived this," he says. "Can any of you find a trail? I must confess that its not my strong point."

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 03:06 PM
OOC: Is there any possibility we can recognize what language it is? That may provide some clue as to the meaning.

Good question. In the same vein in which we recognize "Auld Lang Syne" as supposedly very Olde English, even if we don't know what it means, everyone except for Kael and Loath recognize it as an ancient form of Common. Knowing this still doesn't help figure out its meaning. Also, the inscription is quite long and encompasses all four stones; it is not small.

Worse, because of the decay on the once finished surface of the tombstone, a rubbing would be poor quality because it is no longer a remotely smooth surface - now covered with all sorts of micro-contouring and texture brought about by age. Loath figures that the stones themselves, though moved several times over the centuries, have seen several hundred years - maybe even a millenium or more - of decay. It now begins to dawn on the party that perhaps this Starkweather John existed much farther back than you had conceived, and is not a recent legend.

Annie looks for something to make a rubbing or to copy something down. Nobody in the party has any parchment, ink, or anything of the sort. Kael has some chalk, but there is no suitable surface upon which to scribe what you see - which isn't easy to see, you have to really squint at some points to barely make out the writing.

That said, it does look like these stones could be carried back to town easily enough ... if that is the route you take.

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 03:11 PM
Ezekiul Ezekiul surveys the battle sight with his warriors eye and tries to measure up the size of the battle.

... and fails miserably in determining anything useful.

"Someone must have survived this," he says. "Can any of you find a trail? I must confess that its not my strong point."

Search checks for all characters ...
Anaximander: [roll0]
Kael: [roll1]
Zephram: [roll2]
Ezekiul: [roll3]
Jaime: [roll4]
Loath: [roll5][spoiler]

Everyone that takes a look at the battlesite just doesn't see anything else worthwhile - either because they are impatient, easily frustrated, or just aren't used to being so detailed ... with one exception: Jaime.

@Jaime...
[spoiler]There is something within Jaime, even though his skills have a decidedly 'urban' bent (you gang-banger, you :smallsmile:), that calls to him ... as a memory of elves before him that whisper to him of the ancient lore of the woods. He takes that whispering, that eternal patience, and applies his talented eye for detail of structures and materials to his analysis of the ground. It appears to him (only) that there is one set of tracks that leads deeper into the woods (not on the road), and another set that leads away down the hill. Looking down the hill, he sees that they lead to the mines.

But this was an amazing fluke, and Jaime knows it ... while one might extrapolate where one or other set might be going, he knows that he could not possibly actually follow this trail - and that if he tried, it would take an excruciating amount of time, even for an elf and definitely for his patience. But he doesn't have the time to ponder this to much because ...

"Per'aps I may be of assistance?" says a gravelly baritone voice, slowly, from just within the woods, just within a small copse of scrub, some 20 feet from your position at the battlesite. (For flavor, he speaks with something akin to an Australian outbacker.)

Description...
Popping out from behind the bushes is a man of small but disproportionate size. He is a mere 4'8", but is so broad with muscle (and fat) the he must weigh in close to 200 pounds. His body is built like a barrel made of sinew and given life, and his limbs are strong and corded. His hair and beard are the varying shades of gray of granite and are well-groomed with a variety of knots and beads, and his beard - surprisingly long given his small stature - is particularly ornate. His eyes are a dark grey, and even seem to contain striations not unlike stone. His skin is light gray, and even on this overcast day you see faint striations in his skin that further gives you the idea that perhaps he is as much made of stone as flesh. He is dressed in worn, battered, studded leather armor ... but it is nonetheless very well made. He has a short composite bow made of thick animal horn and resin pointed at Jaime. At his side is a handaxe of exquisite make ... as much a work of art as a weapon. About his person are several throwing axes.

Kael, Jaime, and Loath have no idea what he is ... a fat midget?
Annie, Zephram, and Ezekiul recognize him from some dim memory as a 'dwarf' a short, squat race of warriors that live under hills and mountains.

[OOC: Remember, do not assume you know more than I tell you. You do not have Toben's Spirit Guide and the PHB hanging out in your back pockets. And yes, none of you ever recognize having seen a dwarf before, except for those named above. And beyond what I have told you ... you know nothing else.

To be sure you understand the situation, he appears to be 'readied' to plunk Jaime with an arrow (of course, you don't know what the trigger/stimulus for that readied action is ... but you can guess). Yes, he got the drop on all of you (made his stealth rolls, you all failed your sense checks).

"Nyow, you boys wouldn' be kind enough to tell me what you were plannin' to do with the tomb of a national trezha' wouldja'? Oh, pardon me manners. Names' Mardak Powerstone, and I've been sent by the Council of Saragost to pop on by and take me a look at the debris."

After a few shocked blank stares he adds while rolling his eyes (without losing his readied action). "Y'know, debris like rubble ... rhymes with trouble? :smallsigh: We heers there some trouble up this way. You look like a fine coupla' blokes, but then there is this pointy-aled chap witch ya, and that trows all bets off."

Do I need to roll initiative?

DJDeMiko
2009-01-13, 03:33 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul walks along obvious indentations at the scene of the battle. He seems to be play fighting at one point and then kneels over, picks a bloody stone and sniffs it. Finally he shakes his head and laughs.

"Fine lot of good I am," he says. "All I know is that there was a fight here." He lets loose a loud guffaw.

Douglas
2009-01-13, 03:37 PM
Kael

"I'm no tracker either, Ezekiul."

"I'm more concerned about these stones. The inscription is far longer than I would expect for an epitaph, and may contain important information. If none of us can read it... Experts in obscure languages are usually found in less rural areas than this. I, uh, don't suppose any of you have some kind of translation magic?

((OOC Like Comprehend Languages (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/comprehendLanguages.htm)))

srgonzo
2009-01-13, 03:44 PM
(OOC: Old Long Red, if I remember correctly is what 'Auld Lang Syne' would translate to. I'm not sure when 'Red' replaced 'Syne,' but standard spelling is kind of a recent development in human language anyway. Point taken, I doubt I'd be able to decipher Chaucer with an incredible amount of accuracy, and since neither I nor Annie have Decipher Script as a skill...)

So, I think this is some archaic form of common, I suppose we might be able to figure out what some of this means over time, but the odd spellings and completely different words are going to make an accurate translation difficult, if not impossible. We seem to be at a point of either taking the stones back to town and see if anyone can read them or just opening the tomb. Then again, there are no guarantees anyone in town knows anything about this, and my last encounter with anyone old enough who might know what this says was a little scary.

Annie smacks himself in the forehead.

Did anyone think to ask if there was a prophecy, rhyme, folk tale, or some other folklore about Starkweather John and his sword?

(OOC: And halt!)

Annie turns his head to speak to the dwarf but doesn't move away from the stones.

Wow, you sure are quiet. We were hoping the tomb of Starkweather John might provide some clues as to where his sword might be. Since you're charged with the protection of national landmarks, I can only guess that you or your employers would have an interest in the artifacts that are associated with said landmarks. If the sword hasn't been found already, we're happy to look for it and make sure it ends up in the right hands, since such historical artifacts shouldn't be abused. I don't suppose you could translate this for me, could you?

Annie points to the text on the stones.

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 03:55 PM
Damn! Ninja'd by three posts!! Look above, gents.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-13, 04:02 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul eyes the mans weapon and reaches a hand to the hilt of his own.

"Aye sir," he says in a friendly tone. "We simply seek knowledge. Perhaps you could first assist us by lowering the bow?"

UserClone
2009-01-13, 04:09 PM
"Unless you've got several large friends with you, I suggest you lower that bow, Mr....Powerhouse, was it? You appear to be outnumbered by a considerable margin."

Douglas
2009-01-13, 04:16 PM
Kael

"Well, just now we were trying to figure out what's engraved on this set of stones. I assure you we have no intention of despoiling the tomb."

"As for trouble, what kind? For mundane stuff we've heard about orcs and goblins in the hills other side of town, and there's a small gang of thugs in Bronce, headed by one Jim Oakenbough. Plus whatever ruckus happened here. If you're talking about a more unusual kind of trouble, a half dozen goblins sort of materialized out of some shadows and attacked us yesterday morning and dissolved right back into nothing when we killed them."

((Sense Motive on this guy's skill, please))

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 04:56 PM
@Kael: Looks like this guy would be a fair or tough fight for any single one of you, but wouldn't have a prayer trying to take you all on ... And flight seems out of the question too; he appears to have powerful, but squat legs that might help him run all day, but not very quickly.

@ALL
He is suddenly inundated by all these men talking at him at the same time. While his bow appears readied, it appears that his concentration is just thrown off enough that initiative is now viable. As such, don't vocalize until you have initiative as 'something might happen' that might shock you as well.

Initiative ...
Anaximander: [roll0]
Kael: [roll1]
Zephram: [roll2]
Ezekiul: [roll3]
Jaime: [roll4]
Loath: [roll5]

Results ...
Kael: (1d20+8)[20]
Jaime: (1d20+5)[15]
Zephram: (1d20+1)[13]
Ezekiul: (1d20)[12]
Anaximander: (1d20+1)[6]
Loath: (1d20+2)[4]

[OOC: Now, do not METAGAME this just because initiative has been rolled, or even that the DM has deemed the need for initiative to be rolled. That said ...]

@KAEL: Kind of surprised that there is not one spokesmen but a whole glut of different voices, each asking or saying something different with different levels of casual, curious, or menacing tones, seems to confuse Mardak just enough where he lowers his bow ever so - very, very slightly - as he tries to sift through the voices to register what he's heard. It looks like his readied action has dropped, though you recognize it is only for a second and his demeanor is not such that he would otherwise lower his bow. What do you do?

Douglas
2009-01-13, 05:09 PM
Not inclined to attack someone just for doing his job for a legitimate authority, Kael sighs and waits for the simultaneous babble to die down a bit.

You seem rather brave for a lone person facing six. As for what we're doing with the tomb... I suppose that might actually be your business if you're sent by the Council. At the moment we're looking for information, particularly what these stones might say and any legends about Starkweather John's legacy. What we do next depends on what we find out.

As for trouble, I know of three - Kael glances at the remains of battle - , make that four things that might qualify as 'trouble' around here. What sort of trouble were you investigating?

srgonzo
2009-01-13, 05:25 PM
Kael

"Well, just now we were trying to figure out what's engraved on this set of stones. I assure you we have no intention of despoiling the tomb."

"As for trouble, what kind? For mundane stuff we've heard about orcs and goblins in the hills other side of town, and there's a small gang of thugs in Bronce, headed by one Jim Oakenbough. Plus whatever ruckus happened here. If you're talking about a more unusual kind of trouble, a half dozen goblins sort of materialized out of some shadows and attacked us yesterday morning and dissolved right back into nothing when we killed them."

((Sense Motive on this guy's skill, please))

(OOC: Is it just me, or do I keep on ninja-ing Kael?)

Gorgondantess
2009-01-13, 07:47 PM
Jaime is about to examine his discovery when the man pops out of the bush. He whips around, with a dagger in each hand, ready to throw before anything is said.

Douglas
2009-01-13, 07:57 PM
I hope you don't mean you're about to start attacking him after the attempt at peaceful discussion everyone else has started.

As for attacking before he even gets his introduction off, he got a surprise round. His entire introductory speech and, perhaps more important to you in character, readied action to shoot you all came before you get to act at all.

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 08:01 PM
Ninja'd by douglas ...

Gorgondantess
2009-01-13, 08:02 PM
No, no, no... I said he drew his daggers, not that he threw them. That's just what Jaime would do- if someone sneaks up on him, he readies himself.

lostsole31
2009-01-13, 08:09 PM
In what manner do you draw them? This is an important detail, I assure you.

[EDIT 2 ABOVE: His name is Mardak Powerstone, not Powerhouse. What the hell was I thinking?]

Jaime spins around, drawing both daggers and poising them to throw at Mardak.

[Now, understand a round is six seconds full of tons of actions ... I know we started off with a nice surprise round in which (DM caveat) Mardark chatted quite a little bit. This was followed by Kael. But right now, imagine the camera frames going in slow-mo. If anyone says anything before violence erupts, it better be quick ... or other actions will walk on it!]

As Jaime spins around in a blinding flash of movement, Mardak's attention is instantly poised on Jaime. He (slow-mo, remember) slowly brings his bow up to train on Jaime again.

Zephram, what do you do? Your Sense Motive check (such as it is) tells you that the shock was enough to Mardak that he looks like he is about to fire on Jaime. You are 30 feet from Mardak (10 feet behind Jaime).

[Ezekiul, you're up after Zephram.]

srgonzo
2009-01-13, 10:47 PM
When Annie gathers his wits for the rapid onset of hostility, he protects himself with armor made of pure force. It is clear, though there are silver threads and ripples within the armor, as though he's encased himself in glass with some imperfections which also had molten silver threaded throughout. However, the imperfections and silver threads move.

If nobody has said as much, Annie shouts:

STOP THIS MADNESS!

Gorgondantess
2009-01-13, 11:05 PM
Jaime just stands there, poised to jump out of the way and throw if Mardak shoots. Until the bow leaves the man's hands, he will ignore everything but him, or physical actions taken by the rest of the group.

lostsole31
2009-01-14, 12:51 AM
@Annie: [OOC: Understand posted intention when it is your turn.]

@Jaime: [OOC: You can ready a standard action, as you used a move action to draw both daggers at the same time - allowable w/ Two-Weapon Fighting. Now, you can ready to take a 5-foot step (is that what you meant by "jump out of the way") and throw a dagger before he shoots; you can just throw a dagger at him; you can throw a dagger while 'fighting defensively' and even take a 5-foot step as well; or you can take the total defense action only (w/ or w/out a 5-foot step). Which is it going to be?

@Zephram: Your up, followed by Ezekiul.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 12:53 AM
I suppose I'll ready to throw a dagger while "fighting defensively".

slurpz
2009-01-14, 03:20 AM
Loath

Definitely looking paler than usual, Loath lifts his left hand. Immediately the undergrowth around the fat midget grow extremely fast and attempt to immobilize him. Even his bow, as it came from the wood of a tree, broke free of the hide string attached to it and bends in an attempt to shackle the midget's wrists. Most of Loath's companions are distracted momentarily, as this is the first time any of them have seen Loath as anything more than a tough animalistic front-liner.

This area of strangely moving plants appear to be a circular area having a 40 foot radius. Either by a strange luck, or by premeditated goal, everyone but Loath and Annie is inside the area.

Glaring at the stranger with a strange malice, Loath growls, "Cut the crap, Mardak. Talk with your mouth..." At this, Loath moves his glare to Jaime, who also attempts to avoid the grappling plants, "...not with your weapons."

Didn't act according to the initiative order because this was what Loath would have done while the whole "slow-mo weapons readying" thing was happening

UserClone
2009-01-14, 05:00 PM
"Hold!" shouts Zephram as he moves to interpose himself between Jaime and the strange Dwarf. Zephram then brings his buckler arm up and out in front of him, grabbing onto the business end of his lance. He crouches into a defensive posture. "I think we could all do with a bit of prudence here. Yourself included," he nods back to Jaime.
((OoC: Zephram moves and then takes the full defense action, in the spot directly adjacent to Jaime, on the side facing Mardak. Also:OK, entangle is already laughably overpowered for a level 1 spell (providing there is any vegetation around at the time). We don't need to add a warp wood (a level 2 spell, mind you) effect onto it. :smalltongue:))

lostsole31
2009-01-14, 05:07 PM
[OOC: I am going to rule that because you (FlWiPig) were messing with the tomb, you had set your lance down. But, you conduct the same action as listed but by drawing your morningstar on the move. You now have a 20 AC.]

Time is too dilated to discern a shift yet in Mardak's demeanor thanks to Zephram's imposing himself between Jaime and Mardak, but actions occur as stated by Zephram.

@Ezekiul: You're up!

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 05:20 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul keeps his hand on his sword, but reaches into his vest and pulls out his holy symbol and calls out "We don't want violence," he says. "We are merely jumpy after being attacked recently. Lets all of us put away our weapons."

Trying to diplomacize this situation.
[roll0] before DM modifiers

lostsole31
2009-01-14, 05:36 PM
R1T11: Working on adrenaline, and his vision and hearing going 'into the red' Mardak seems less focused on the words used by the two more socially-capable members of the party. With a short glance to Ezekiul he remarks sharply, "Another bloody elf-kissa!"

"By order o' the Council o' Saragost, drop your daggers, elf! All o' ye, and then we'll sort it out. Drop 'em or I'll shoot, so 'elp me Aranu!" Mardak readies his bow to shoot if "X" happens, and now has an eye to defense for himself as well. 19[/B] total.]

Annie then conducts his action, covering himself in some sort of mystical barrier and yells "STOP THIS MADNESS!" but to little effect.

The armor is up quickly, and Mardak manages not to over-react ... but as soon as Loath makes even the barest whisper of a spell, Mardak shoots ... but at him instead, without even realizing what he's done until its too late.
Attack = [roll0], damage = [roll1]

Loath manages to dodge out of the way and finishes his spell. The grass in a wide area, and the bushes over near Mardak begin to rustle, stretch, and reach out ... attempting to coil around everyone except for Annie and Loath.

Just to make things quick and because this 'battle' is NO WAY meant to be protracted in any way, I am simply going to roll folks' saves and simply post them here as to who saved and who didn't. I expect Loath to drop the spell in short order with what happens below.
Didn't Save: Mardak, Zephram, Ezekiul
Saved: Jaime, Kael.
[OOC: I believe I had described in the first place that Mardak's bow was made of animal horn, so this entire sub-thread concerning [I]entangle was moot. But when Loath sees that none of Mardak's arrows try to garrote him from the quiver, Loath realizes that entangle only affects currently living, unworked plants. And so he knows for later.]
At the same time (actually, a split second before) Mardak got his shot off, Jaime throws his dagger defensively before realizing (if he even cares) that he was not the target anymore.

@Jaime: Roll it, remember to apply a -4 penalty for fighting defensively.
Whether or not he gets hit ... unless there is a nasty crit, Mardak is conscious is shocked by the spell and his sudden unfortunate predicament and says "Wait a minute!" and drops his bow at the ground before it too, is held fast by a convocation of grappling ferns. "I surrender! I surrender!"

We are now out of initiative, Mardak doesn't try to pick up a weapon and flee or fight if entangle is dropped, and you may either treat him with honor, tend his wounds if required, or truss him up like a pig at a Texas BBQ and beat him like a paunchy pinata.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 06:12 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul will force his way through the grasping roots, kick the bow out of the way and then convert Bless into a cure light.

[roll0]

He shakes his head at the man "I told you that we didn't want violence. We have had a very rough few days between attacks by dark creatures and other occurrences. My companions here were merely reacting . . . a bit fast" he says eyeing jamie and loath quickly "to what they saw as a threat."

diplomacy roll [roll1] before dm mods.

"We have no interest in harming you and would be willing to politely discuss any legal issues that you seem to be worrying about," he finishes.

slurpz
2009-01-14, 06:39 PM
Loath

Loath continues in a flat voice, "Is the fat midget ready to talk with his mouth?"

He raises his left hand again, and the area of moving vegetation slowly shrinks to a relatively small circle, about a foot in radius, around Mardak. The plants around Mardak soon stop grappling the dwarf as Ezekiul nears Mardak.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 06:59 PM
As the dwarf fires, Jaime throws the dagger- due to his misblance from the spell and his lack of focus, it goes hurling past his ear. As he does this, he leaps away from the grasping plants, then turns around and glares at Loath, tossing his other dagger so that it sinks into the ground by his feet. "I consider this to be an act of aggression. You are warned." He goes to pick up the thrown daggers.
[roll0]
[roll1]

UserClone
2009-01-14, 07:11 PM
"You should thank Aranu most high that he saw fit to interpose his warrior between you and certain death, dwarf," says Zephram sharply.
"And you," he says pointedly to Loath, "I hope you aim your blows better than you aim your spells, or we won't need enemies to slay us."

"Now what exactly is our tresspass of the law, Powerstone? You cannot arrest us without placing your charges against us. Need we seek someone's permission?" he asks as he puts away his morningstar, and starts toward his lance.

lostsole31
2009-01-14, 07:24 PM
Misses all around ... I love me misses.

Ezekiul and Loath's actions occur as above, no cure light wounds needed. Jaime retrieves his dagger, and if allowed Mardak retrieves his arrow.

"Right bloody kokkup this alll is ... good thing you missed, elf. That would have been a more serious crime. Given the general demeanor of your friends, I will let you go with a warning." :smallamused:

Mardak Powerstone produces a legal writ and hands it to Zephram ... nobody else, but Zephram. As he does so, he looks at Ezekiul and says, "Yore a boy what looks like 'e's got some sense. Whatcha' doin' with 'at trinket when yer people trew off 'em tyrant land'olders" he points to the elf as he says this "and lernt ta' pray to a god what's proper for the sun, like this 'ere mate?" at that he gestures to Zephram as he hands over the writ.
The writ is signed by one Captain Dunham of Saragost, by direction of the Council of Saragost, specifically under request of Councillor Lady Arigane, capital of the country of Chillhame. The long and short of it is that reports have filtered down of bandit or monstrous activity in the north of Chillhame and Sergeant Powerstone of Third Recon Corps was sent to investigate on that and on any reports of any thing else strange, supernatural, or out of the ordinary. Because of the vicinity of a national historic treasure (The Tomb of Starkweather John) this writ entitles Sergeant Powerstone all rights of a deputy marshal and represents all members of his chain of command as appropriate to the level of a 'deputy marshal' under provision of Chillhame law, including reasonable arrest, detainment, and deferment to local authorities, as appropriate, blah-blah-blah. The writ is signed and affixed with the seal of the Third Recon Corps, Chillhame Home Guard, Saragost.

The seal seems like a legitimate writ to Zephram, but if he shows it to Annie (who, considering his skills would probably also peruse it as he is the resident N&R expert), Annie will be flooded with some 'memory.' It will be up to him to share the following:
First, he 'recognizes' the writ as proper, and the chain-of-command invoked as being proper.

Second, Saragost is the capital of the country of Chillhame, and run by an oligarchy of Councillors. He has a vague recollection that one Lady Arigane is one of them.

Third, Chillhame is an island nation that once was an extension of the Kingdom of Caldraza on the mainland. Chillhame, always believing in their freedom (as a nation) managed to finally end Caldrazan rule some time ago, though it is widely rumored that after many decades Caldraza still thinks of Chillhame as a prodigal colony yet to return to the fold.

Fourth, your History knowledge combined with your N&R gives you knowledge that Third Recon is a combination scout/constabulary of various marshals who usually move throughout the small island nation to investigate non-domestic threats (i.e., threats that are possibly non-citizens of Chillhame).

UserClone
2009-01-14, 07:31 PM
"Do you mind if I confer with my confederates regarding the legitimacy of this document, sir? No offense intended, of course, but there are those bandits who proffer fake documents as the genuine article, in an effort to fool legitimate authority. Surely you can understand."

lostsole31
2009-01-14, 07:32 PM
"Go ahead," Mardak says.

UserClone
2009-01-14, 07:36 PM
Zephram turns to his compatriots and declares, "Whomsoever should doubt this man's authority need look only at this document. If you are not satisfied with its legitimacy, you may take it up with me."

He hands it to the first person who wants to look at it.

Douglas
2009-01-14, 07:58 PM
Kael

Kael skims the document quickly.

"Fair enough," Kael responds, "though I'm curious what made you think threatening a group of six armed men was a good idea."

"I don't know of any bandits around, but ask anyone in town and you'll be told there are monsters, humanoid mostly, in the eastern hills that have attacked other villages in the area. There's also a gang of four thugs, led by one Jim Oakenbough, who have the whole town intimidated. For all I know they could be doing some banditry on the side, but I wouldn't try arresting them without some backup. Preferably more than the six of us."

"As for supernatural or out of the ordinary..." Kael decides this strange small man can probably be trusted, between the writ and his present state as a virtual prisoner. Besides, no bandit with half a brain would have been stupid enough to try what he did. "Yesterday morning we found ourselves on the tump in a circle of stone megaliths with no idea how we got there. A voice spoke out of nowhere urging us, among other things, to seek the sword of Starkweather John, saying we might begin to understand once we had found it. Shortly afterwards half a dozen goblins materialized out of nothing more than shadows and attacked us, then dissipated into nothing when we killed them. And now here we are, trying to track down that sword."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 08:32 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul nods.

"He speaks truly. As to my devotion to Brith, we cannot help which god speaks to us. For me it was Brith and I see no reason why race should make a difference in that."

"I am quite confused about why you accosted us," Ezekiul says and then lets out a loud laugh. "Did you take us to be orcs?"

slurpz
2009-01-14, 08:39 PM
Loath

"Aggression?" Loath laughs bitterly at Jaime. He continues sarcastically, "Of course, I was the one who threw daggers."

Turning to Zephram, Loath simply says, "The spell was cast as intended."

UserClone
2009-01-14, 08:50 PM
"I would think very carefully before limiting my ability to defend your hide, 'friend'. Remember who would carry you to the stones if it were you who were lost in battle instead."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 08:55 PM
Jaime walks up purposefully and snatches the writ out of whoever's hands. He ignores all insults. He looks over it for a few seconds, then rolls it up and hands it back. "So? Why should we care about all this? We milk the brute for information on the tomb, detain him, pickaxe our way through if we have to, then leave before anyone's the wiser. The villagers are plain enough that any description they might give of us would undoubtedly be highly inaccurate and exaggerated." He says all this in a voice loud enough that the dwarf could hear him if he strained.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 08:59 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul looks at Jaime and then moves in between him and the dwarf.

"Why?"

Douglas
2009-01-14, 09:05 PM
Kael

Kael stares at Jaime like he's crazy, too stunned to come up with an immediate response.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 09:07 PM
"Why not? We want to get into the tomb, and this man is a potential source of information and in our way."

UserClone
2009-01-14, 09:08 PM
"Aranu says otherwise, my ungrateful young fool, and I am inclined to agree with Aranu."

Douglas
2009-01-14, 09:22 PM
Kael

Kael takes a deep breath, mentally noting that any argument having to do with "the right thing to do" would probably be ignored.

"He is also a legitimate lawman and, to explain it in terms you might understand, being on the wrong side of the law can lead to serious trouble. Unless you intend to kill him, which at this point would be cold blooded murder, he himself could easily identify us whatever you think of the villagers' description abilities, and even if you do there will likely be an investigation into the cause of his death. If he lives, our treatment of him will greatly influence his report and how his superiors treat us. If he dies, whoever investigates it will either be considerably more capable or have a squad and will be considerably less inclined to give us a chance to explain ourselves."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 09:31 PM
Jaime sighs, and looks at Kael in an almost condescending manner. "The point was to incapacitate him, then leave before anyone was the wiser. I was under the impression that he was simplistic and prejudiced enough that he would have similar descriptions as the villagers- that, coupled with the small time he's seen us and the head trauma that would undoubtedly result from knocking him out. However, if you think we have to kill him to keep our identities from being known, I suppose we could do that, distasteful as it could be. However, I'd really rather not, so if none of you would do so, then I suppose we could request him to not interfere. Of course, he might not, in which case I will be forced to do as I have planned."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 09:36 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul nods at Kael's desctiption

"You must also consider," he says gravely. "That we could simply ask him the questions. Let's get something straight here. I have no idea why we have been thrust together, but since you are apparently stupid enough to think threatening the law or suggesting torturing and murdering someone who has done us no wrong to a group of people who have already shown you that they are largely good, then I will explain something about me. I do not commit evil acts and if you ever try to do so or I find you doing so, I will do everything in my power to stop you and I don't think I am the only one. Not only that but to simply announce it like that where the poor man can hear you. Had you not considered that he may have allies near by or that perhaps by being civil we could gain more? Hell, did you even think about how the rest of us might act after you said that?"

Ezekiul's frown fades and he begins to smile. In a much friendlier voice says "but I will chalk that up to the bad days we have had recently."

Douglas
2009-01-14, 09:41 PM
Kael

"I think your opinion of both him and the villagers is colored by far too much arrogance. Even if your opinion were completely accurate, which I doubt, a group like us doesn't exactly blend in easily."

"As for killing him, I was trying to suggest a reason not to, not imply it might be necessary. I would take exception rather strongly to that."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 09:42 PM
"The man had come upon us, threatened us, then fired upon us. He has made it very clear that he does not want us to interfere with the tomb, which is clearly what we have come here to do. He is an obstacle, hot headed, and a threat, and until he proves otherwise I will consider him hostile. Go ahead and ask him- I doubt he'll concede willingly unless we hold a knife to hsi throat, psychological or otherwise. And no, I do not intend to torture him- there are better methods of gaining information. It is inefficient.

UserClone
2009-01-14, 09:43 PM
((OoC: I'm going to have to request a Sense Motive roll.))

Zephram moves to stand next to the Dwarf, who is the only legitimate authority he has met since awaking on the tump.

"I don't care what he agrees or does not agree to, it isn't your right to go attacking people, lethally or otherwise, who aren't trying to hurt you. As far as I'm concerned, the law is Aranu's will, and is therefore more important than what some disembodied voice tells me to do."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 09:53 PM
Ezekiul

"If I recall correctly, he a figure of authority came upon us and for whatever wrong reason felt we were breaking the law and drew a weapon on us. However he did not fire until someone cast a spell. I don't blame him for firing, I would have as well. 6 to 1 and someone begins casting a spell. How is he to know if it is a healing spell or one of destruction.

That being said I also have no intention of simply tuning myself over to him because he has a writ.

We also have no idea if we must get into the tomb. We must find the sword and there are far more places outside the tomb than inside. It is stupid to threaten a man just because of a misunderstanding and to decide to desecrate a burial site for no reason. For all we know the dwarf knows exactly where the sword is."

slurpz
2009-01-14, 10:07 PM
Loath

"My goal was to end the conflict, and it has. I tried to remove everyone from combat. Annie wasn't hit by the plants because he has the ability to do things anyway, as his little shimmering aura shows." Loath turns to Mardak and continues, "How about telling us what's stopping us from doing exactly what the little blood-drinker just suggested we do to you?"

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 10:11 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul turns to Loath and says "did you not hear anything I just said?"

slurpz
2009-01-14, 10:17 PM
Loath

"I'd rather hear it from his mouth, rather than from yours, cleric.

I have never seen his face, and I dodged the arrow anyway. I am not interested in combat, purely for the sake of combat.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 10:20 PM
Did you not hear anything I said?" He lowers his voice to a whisper. "Forgive me for your lack of insight. By milking him for information, I meant we'll ask him some questions and say that we'll release him if he answers truthfully. Then we knock him out, find the sword by whatever means, and then leave. No harm done, except maybe to him- I'll consider that a recompense for shooting at us."

UserClone
2009-01-14, 10:26 PM
(([roll0] to hear the whisper.))

Zephram stands fast, saying to the lawman, "I assure you I had nary an idea the sort of riffraff I'd fallen in with."

He motions towards Jaime and Loath.

"I hope you take that into consideration should it come down to arrests."

slurpz
2009-01-14, 10:35 PM
Loath

Loath's face darkens as he hears the insult. "Bloody brown-noser. Go shoot your dragon dung elsewhere."

He leaves and walks towards the part of the woods where the battle had occurred.

[roll0]

Douglas
2009-01-14, 10:37 PM
Kael

"That would hardly do anything to dispel his assumption that we might be bandits, and a shot in response to an apparent attack is hardly something that needs recompense in my mind. Besides, I prefer to stay on the good side of the law in the absence of a good reason to do otherwise."

UserClone
2009-01-14, 10:39 PM
"Kael, truly Brith must be the left hand of the same being whose right is Aranu. Your wisdom smacks of his guidance."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 10:48 PM
Loath

"I'd rather hear it from his mouth, rather than from yours, cleric.

I have never seen his face, and I dodged the arrow anyway. I am not interested in combat, purely for the sake of combat.

"From his mouth?" he asks. "What I said was that I would stand between any man who attempts to do evil which would include harming this man unprovoked and the next thing you say is to threaten him again. There will be none of that here."

Gorgondantess
2009-01-14, 11:28 PM
"Do what you will. I shall go with the wild man, for lack of support. If you have need of my services, I shall return- until then, good day. I wish you luck in your dealings." Jaime goes off in the same area as Loath, searching for anything he might have missed of importance. [roll0]

DJDeMiko
2009-01-14, 11:59 PM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul turns to the dwarf.

"I apologize for them," he says. "As we have said, we all woke up without memory, not only of how we arrived but of much of our lives and were promptly assaulted. It has been a hard few days for us. Can you tell us about whats been going on here and why you are out here?"

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 01:27 AM
"Do what you will. I shall go with the wild man, for lack of support. If you have need of my services, I shall return- until then, good day. I wish you luck in your dealings." Jaime goes off in the same area as Loath, searching for anything he might have missed of importance. [roll0]

Nada, beyond what was already seen ..... perhaps you help Loath notice what you had seen before.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-15, 01:34 AM
Jaime does just that, and then asks to join him to the mines (not because he wants him there, of course, but because they are dangerous and a companion would be prudent. And, obviously, their presence makes the negotiations with the dwarf testy, as they were the combative ones.:smallbiggrin:)

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 02:02 AM
[OOC: Okay, by now you should get the feel of Aussie outbacker with Mardak. That done, I am going to stop thinking/typing at a snail's pace to provide 'local color' writing style for him. Just imagine it, even though the writing may be a little better, if you could.]

"Blimey," says Mardak, as much to Zephram as under his breath in disbelief. "You the boss-man? You look it."

"Lissen, I acted hastily, and I apologize. But you boys' were too close for comfort, and I had a reeel bugger of a croc's burp to let go ..." and at that he gives what must be a "croc's burp" which isn't a burp at all, because it seems the noise comes from the other end. :smallbiggrin: [... complete with 'swamp gas' smell, too!]

"Nah, I saw and 'eard you boys chattin' 'bout taking up Stark's Stones and disteerbin 'is tomb. You was basically conspirin' to commit a crime, but had not yet done so. I was there to protect the tomb from that crime being committed. Since you had not yet acted on that intent, there is no crime ... yet."

"It's all a big muddle, and I am willin' to let it go. But now you understand, Brit' feller'"(he points to Ezekiul at this)"why things elven ain't particularly loved by all. I kin tell you boys' ain't from 'round 'ere. And I'm bloody interested to know where you are from, but elves . . . just like that fat'ead what walked down the road over there . . . once was 'oldin all there ever was. No 'istorian needed for that, boss." He is looking again at Zephram by this time.

"Ye know, I did meet an elf or two what was - what'll we say - civilized, some? But most of them I care nuthin' for."

"Now, if you will release me from your um - capture - I will take that as a sign of good faith and show you part of why I'm 'ere and what I've figgered out."

[OOC: If you RP it, Mardak got a 21 on his Diplomacy check.]

slurpz
2009-01-15, 02:17 AM
Jaime does just that, and then asks to join him to the mines (not because he wants him there, of course, but because they are dangerous and a companion would be prudent. And, obviously, their presence makes the negotiations with the dwarf testy, as they were the combative ones.:smallbiggrin:)
[OOC: Actually, I'd like to think that Loath was the one who actually calmed the whole situation down, albeit the whole rumble about my hitting party members with it too.]

Loath

"The mines, hm? I'd personally like to explore the woodsy trail..."

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 02:51 AM
@slurpz: FYI, Jaime couldn't, but you were easily able to make out all that Mardak said some 30' away.

Douglas
2009-01-15, 07:45 AM
Kael

Kael tries to wave the smell away briefly, then tries to find a spot upwind of Mardak.

"Phew! Yeah, I definitely would have heard that. And smelled it too, probably."

"I, for one, am willing to trust your word for now. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say, but first do you know anything about what's written on these stones? If not, " Kael shifts to addressing the party, "does anyone have some sort of translation magic? I'd really like to know what took four stones this size to record and was important enough to put in stone."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-15, 09:51 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul shrugs and says "as far as I see it you aren't captured in any way, this whole thing has been a misunderstanding."

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 06:06 PM
"Excellent!" says Mardak, beaming.

[OOC: To those few of you who had an idea of dwarves, this one sure is cheerier than the books intimated. To those who started off not knowing anything about dwarves - which is a descriptive term for a midget, btw - he fits the bill of jolly midgets to a tee. Even when he first threatened the party, he had a bit of a wry smile.]

"Hey, you!", Mardak calls out to the two 'estranged' heroes. "Yeah, you, ya tree-huggin' finger waggler ... and that mouthy martinet of a misanthrope, too! Quit muckin' up my scene. I didn't have a chance to finish lookin' at it 'fore you boys' tromped in and started makin' such a fuss inna firs' place."

Assuming, that he is not actually physically stopped in the following ... Since he is no longer a prisoner (in name) he retakes custody of his shortbow and slings it and walks over to where Jaime and Loath are standing, and where Jaime noticed the tracks. He smiles at Jaime and Loath, but neither of you can tell if he is genuinely friendly and has let bygones be, whether he is actually masking distaste, or whether he is mocking you with a leering politeness.

He then looks at the ground very carefully, stopping in odd patterns around what Jaime had noticed, and looking to this side and that every so often. The two of you (and maybe others if you've followed him over out of curiosity) wonder if the thinks he is actually accomplishing or making a show of it.

"'ere, elf ... you're taller'n I," says Mardak to Jaime without even looking up from the ground. He points to the arrow still embedded in the tree. "Grab me that arra' out the tree." he sort of says in that tone that uses an imperative sentence while adding just enough intonation as to make it a request vice an order.

Meanwhile, he looks at Loath ... "What are you anyway, mate? Names if nothin' else. I ain't never seen your like before."

After an answer, whatever it might be ... he takes care to show Loath the ground on the wooded side. "Look at this (insert name, if given, otherwise 'mate') ... soft ground, covered by pine needles. Take a look underneath ... here." And at that, Loath sees the barest outlines of a footprint. "You got woodcraft, mate?"
[If Loath nods or tells him that he does add the following. "Well, 'ow long you reckin' the trees dropped needles to cover these tracks and the mud settled?"

@Loath: Roll a Survival check. This can't be rolled untrained by anyone else.
If Loath fails a DC 14, Mardak just grunts and says "four days."
If Loath succeeds on a DC 14, Mardak looks surprised and smiles and says, "Bloody right! Good eye, mate."

He then shows that the tracks going off towards the mines are also four days old, though significantly harder to notice.
"Notice how you see the outlines of the ball-parts of a foot, but it seems like there is a slight softening of the effect? That's moccasin, a soft shoe usually worn by savages, humanoids, and some few others who choose to do so. They look like this." And at that he points at his own footwear. He cracks a smile if there is any surprise at his ability to discern what he has figured out so far ... "helps if yer' lower to the groun' like me."

"Anyway, and I noticed how you walk, elf - that's why I'm showing it to you ... see 'ow it's more of a flat step, with no dig at the 'eel? Just like you, these blokes walk toe-to-'eel, not 'eel-toe like you other stompin' heifers" he says, looking at the rest of the group. "But unlike you, elf, there is no overcomp' for the step. You 'ave a 'ella' light step, elf, and'r better than these blokes, but these boys do it natral-like. Y'got that arra yet, elf?"
"I still want to hear more about what ye wanted o' this tomb. An' I see no reason to stop you boys from translatin' what's said. 'Sides, if we lift the stones, we could say we're merely checking to ensure the sanc'ity o' the tomb."

He sighs, and looks back at the tracks.

"Yee-eh, as I figgered, I can follow 'em no prob's mate... wide differential like that between toe-knuckles and sole of feet but weighin like a man what with a little more muscle, trained from birth to soft-step, and as shoddy an arra 'ere as I ever saw ....

:smallsigh: "Bloody 'obgoglins."

UserClone
2009-01-15, 06:06 PM
"No one is in charge here, so to speak, but that would have changed quickly should someone have decided to do something so flagrantly evil as attack a lawman for doing his duty. Now if we are not under arrest, would you mind helping us, if you are able?"

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 06:17 PM
You got ninja'd by DM, Piggy ... look at the post above your own.

Gorgondantess
2009-01-15, 07:00 PM
Jaime leaps up the tree and grabs the arrow, tossing it to Mardak. "Tell me how to enter the tomb. I need to get in. Afterwards, we can see about these hobgoblins."

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 07:10 PM
"Thanks, mate" he says staring at you. "Heh, never thought I'd be aroun' whenna elf -that knows nothing of woodcraft - wanted to be more in the groun' than outta' it. You sure yer not a halfie? You're 'bout as anxious an' impatient as a human," Mardak chuckles to himself as he finishes the rest of what was posted above.

After that, "Now, about that tomb ... 'ow the 'ell should I know, mate? P'raps like anyone else, y'know ... under the stones is a bunch o' dirt 'bout six deep? Soun' 'bout right to you, or don' they bury the dead where your from?"

DJDeMiko
2009-01-15, 07:27 PM
Ezekiul

"I dislike the prospect of disturbing the burial grounds of a hero," Ezekiul says. "Our goal is his sword. Do you know where it is located?"

Gorgondantess
2009-01-15, 07:28 PM
Jaime nods to the dwarf, showing the first bit of humor in his sarcastic tone. "Of course... and I suppose you wouldn't mind us digging this up, maybe picking through that stone there, considering that you're supposed to protect it and all that? We'll only do irreversible damage."

lostsole31
2009-01-15, 07:41 PM
"That's a good answer, and the one I was lookin' for, elf," Mardak replies. "And you, Britter ... good instincts reco'nizin' that the sword and the tomb aren't the same. Y'see, story goes that Starkweather John's sword wasn't buried with 'im since 'e knew that robbers'n pilgrims'd come in time and muck up his everlastin' ... so 'e 'ad the sword buried somewheres in Bronce to protect the place. 'Course, I 'ave no bleedin' idea where 'at might be.

"Course, makes some sense ... I 'ear tell that all villages in the area suffered at least a missin' person or two from hobbos and monsters over the years ... but fer some reason Bronce has never suffered. Could be some truth to the legend.

"I'll be 'onest though, Britter ... if you can get that spell goin' that makes ya read dead words, I know that my own personal pilgrimage to this 'ere site will be done. Then I can go home when me job's done and tell me dad 'afore he gives up the ghost and finds 'is peace. See, 'e wanted me to come and read the tombstone o' the John and see the Tump ... somethin' 'bout the family, but 'e wouldn' tell me."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-15, 08:13 PM
Ezekiul

"Thank you for telling us," he says, "Now we have no need of disturbing the mans grave. I must pray now."

Ezekiul walks to a clear spot of grass where he can see the sun and begins to pray.

ooc - switching out my last non domain spell slot of comprehend.

When the time comes Ezekiul stands back up, brush's himself off, approaches the stones and casts the spell.

He studies them for a moment and says "They say 'Eat at Jovar the merciless' house of fine cuisine.' How odd."

Douglas
2009-01-15, 08:39 PM
Kael

Kael immediately loses all interest in actually opening the tomb when Mardak reveals the story about the sword being buried in Bronce. "That's more than any of the villagers we talked to knew about it. Not that we actually asked specifically about the sword very much, not being sure how they'd take that. We did mention it to the village priest, though, and I'd expect him to usually be the most knowledgeable man around in an area like this. Anyway, this inscription might at least give us a clue. Get going on that spell, please."

When Ezekiul merely sits down and prays, Kael is a bit surprised. He doesn't know much about magic, but all of it that he's seen so far was accomplished rather quickly. After a minute or two he goes off a short distance to stand guard, occasionally muttering under his breath about how long this is taking.

UserClone
2009-01-15, 08:53 PM
Ezekiul

He studies them for a moment and says "They say 'Eat at Jovar the merciless' house of fine cuisine.' How odd."

With a confused look, Zephram clearly doesn't get the joke. With a decisive change of facial features he declares, "Right. Well, first we must find the descendant of this Jovar the merciless, and then we just might have our sword." He smiles, pleased with himself.

Douglas
2009-01-15, 09:13 PM
Kael

Kael looks at Zephram for a second or two and then breaks out in laughter. He manages to squeeze some words out between chuckles, gradually regaining control and speaking more normally. "You actually believed that? Oh, my. That's like missing the broad side of a barn from a foot away. Should I list the clues for you alphabetically or in order by magnitude?"

UserClone
2009-01-15, 09:17 PM
"Hmph. Clearly you failed to get the clever joke I was making."

Zephram rolls his eyes, though it's easy to see he's lying. He's a terrible bluffer, Charisma aside.

Douglas
2009-01-15, 09:41 PM
"Riiiiight. You really need to work on your technique if you want anyone to believe that."

srgonzo
2009-01-15, 09:42 PM
Annie sighs.

Nothing is ever easy. Can we just get to the text?

Annie looks at everyone else in the group.

I hate getting lost in my thoughts while a lot of other things happen

slurpz
2009-01-16, 01:46 AM
Loath

Looking over Mardak suspiciously, Loath growls, "What am I? I am going to be your worst nightmare if I catch you out of line."

He grunts noncommittally in response to Mardak's question and picks up a couple pine needles. "Trail's four days old."

[roll0]

lostsole31
2009-01-16, 01:50 AM
"Ye jes' take yer time, Britter," says Mardak before Ezekiul begins praying.

"So, you all got names, dontcha? Seems like manners is gone 'round here with strangers. Speaking of which ... where are you all from? And what the 'ell's all this 'bout gobbos with bodies that disappear, dissolve, or what was it, again?" asks Mardak during the hour long meditation period for Ezekiul.

The hour of change ended and Ezekiul is ready. "Go a'ead," says Mardak. "I'm ready when you are."

You notice that Mardak had gone into his pack and pulled out sheets of parchment, and inkpen, and a vial of ink. "I notice some passages there are underlined ... be sure to note them, too."
And, without further ado, the message, as translated by Ezekiul and transcribed by Mardak Powerstone ...

Stranger, trouble not the bones
Resting here beneath these stones
Here lies one of mortal part
Who held a star within his heart

And when They come that came before
The Stars shall fall to earth once more
To stand against Her might again
Who rises from Her sleep profane

And when conspirators assail
The throne, then these may yet avail
To cast from his exalted place
The foe that bears a dead king’s face

DJDeMiko
2009-01-16, 01:55 AM
Ezekiul

Ezekiul lets out a large laugh and says "it seems to say . . .

Stranger, trouble not the bones
Resting here beneath these stones
Here lies one of mortal part
Who held a star within his heart

And when They come that came before
The Stars shall fall to earth once more
To stand against Her might again
Who rises from Her sleep profane

And when conspirators assail
The throne, then these may yet avail
To cast from his exalted place
The foe that bears a dead king’s face

or something like it."

Ezekiul waits for the dwarf to finish writing and sticks out his hand. "Sorry bout being rude, but with all that drama I forgot to introduce myself. I am Ezekiul priest and blade of Brith."

He turns back to the others "I know I'm not the brightest silver in the dragon's horde. But I think that is a good warning to back up my beleif that we no longer need to open the tomb."

lostsole31
2009-01-16, 02:08 AM
"Are the underlines on the stone jes' part of the lettering system, or do you sense that certain words are underlined as well?" asks Mardak. "And it's a real pleasure ta' meet ye' Ezekiul Britter." At that, he shows you his hand. If you shake it, he has a strong and firm handshake ... but not nearly so phenomenal as your own.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-16, 02:17 AM
Ezekiul

Definitly shakes.

"That's a good question," Ezekiul says lifting his LEFT hand to scratch his chin. "You see . . . . . "

ooc - uhhhh, no clue, any sort of check you want ezekiul to roll to figure it out or can he guess from context?

lostsole31
2009-01-16, 02:26 AM
ooc - uhhhh, no clue, any sort of check you want ezekiul to roll to figure it out or can he guess from context?

[OOC: What do you mean ... no clue to what? Where you're from? Sorry, just go with what you know or lie.

Or do you mean that transcription? Sorry again, this one you have to figure out ... it may not be something you can figure out in the near future. Don't let it make your head pop, but keep it in mind for the future and revisit it from time-to-time. This inscription (this is your wisdom speaking) has been here for a millenia or more ... it is doubtful that it speaks of such urgency that you have to figure it out immediately or the world will blow up by tomorrow ... or even next week.

As far as underlines, if you meant that ... it is as plain as the way I wrote it for you.]

Douglas
2009-01-16, 09:31 AM
Before the hour is up
"Hmm? Oh, right, sorry. The whole threatening, attempted arrest, and argument about what to do with you distracted us a bit. I am Kael Kione. As for where I'm from I, uh... I don't know. Strange. First thing I remember is feeling rather strange, almost like being drugged, and then finding myself standing with these five, all with similar stories, inside a circle of twelve stone monuments on the tump."

"As for the goblins... After we'd all introduced ourselves to each other, a voice spoke out of thin air, seeming to come from everywhere at once, called us its children, said a few things that don't make much sense, warned that forces are gathering against us, and told us to seek the sword of Starkweather John, which was nearby. A few minutes later, bits of mist turned into a bunch of goblins, one for each of us, and attacked. We beat them with little trouble, but each one just vanished, armor, weapons, and all, when killed. That was all yesterday morning."

After the inscription is read
"Well that's disappointing. I was hoping to find a clue to the sword's location. Wait a minute, some of that sounds familiar..." Kael pauses, thinks a moment, then suddenly blinks time or two and resumes talking. "...Are we part of some prophecy? That voice back on the tump called us stars and mentioned our "return", like we'd been here before and had been gone a while."

Kael asks to read Mardak's notes to refresh his memory of the wording. "All right, who are 'They', 'Her', and the foe with a dead king's face, and which throne is being conspired against?"

lostsole31
2009-01-16, 10:44 AM
Before the hour is up
"Hmm? Oh, right, sorry. The whole threatening, attempted arrest, and argument about what to do with you distracted us a bit. I am Kael Kione. As for where I'm from I, uh... I don't know. Strange. First thing I remember is feeling rather strange, almost like being drugged, and then finding myself standing with these five, all with similar stories, inside a circle of twelve stone monuments on the tump."

"Crikey! Says Mardak," groaning slightly and wringing his hand when you're done, "do you even know your own strength? That's bloody odd. I wonder if you're some part of a slaver's plot, per'aps? But then, why wasn't ye guarded?"

"As for the goblins... After we'd all introduced ourselves to each other, a voice spoke out of thin air, seeming to come from everywhere at once, called us its children, said a few things that don't make much sense, warned that forces are gathering against us, and told us to seek the sword of Starkweather John, which was nearby. A few minutes later, bits of mist turned into a bunch of goblins, one for each of us, and attacked. We beat them with little trouble, but each one just vanished, armor, weapons, and all, when killed. That was all yesterday morning."

"Well, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty knowin' 'bout gobbos, hobbos, and buggos ... and a lot o' others as well. And I'm telling you, they might have looked like goblins, but that doesn't soun' like any kin' o' goblin I ever 'eard of. You might have fought somethin that took a gobbos form ... if you even know for sure that it had a gobbo form in the first place."

After the inscription is read
"Well that's disappointing. I was hoping to find a clue to the sword's location. Wait a minute, some of that sounds familiar..." Kael pauses, thinks a moment, then suddenly blinks time or two and resumes talking. "...Are we part of some prophecy? That voice back on the tump called us stars and mentioned our "return", like we'd been here before and had been gone a while."

"Now that's jes' bloody weird. I got nothin' te tell you 'bout that," Mardak says, kind of confused and trying to assimilate this with what you told him a half-hour prior.

Kael asks to read Mardak's notes to refresh his memory of the wording. "All right, who are 'They', 'Her', and the foe with a dead king's face, and which throne is being conspired against?"

"Well," says Mardak slowly, "I'm 'bout boggled on it all. One thing's for certain ... strange new creatures that pop out on our northern part o' the island and then your story? Tell you what, you boys help me with what I gotta do ... 'cause I can't do it myself and who knows how many people the hobbos will hurt before I can get south for reinforcements. Do that, and I will help you find your sword if'n I can.

"After that, I can't make ye, but come with me south to Saragost. I think I can get me captain to get you to talk to . . . if not the Council ... at least the Captain himself will get more outta' first-hand reports than I could ever provide. As long as you keep that elf and your hum-inal there in check with the local authorities on the way ... I can assure you that as being under my 'protection' I can assure you that you will be repaid for all costs incurred. If the information is good enough, your travel with me might even have an extra reward for 'good faith' but I cannot legally vouch for that, and wouldn't be able to figger' what that might actually mean."

Douglas
2009-01-16, 11:29 AM
Kael

Kael is clearly a bit torn between two things he wants to do right now. "Well, I'm reluctant to interrupt our quest for that sword, and having such a legendary weapon would undoubtedly make hobgoblins easier to deal with. On the other hand, I don't know how long finding old John's sword will take and what a band of hobgoblins might do with that extra time. I take it the battle we spotted signs of involved some hobgoblins you're tracking?"

Kael sighs. "I am uncertain whether pursuing the sword or the hobgoblins first would be a better idea. Either way, we shouldn't waste time. I can't vouch for Jaime - the elf's - behavior, but going to Saragost when we're done here sounds like a good idea. I'm starting to think we need advice from a sage, an expert on the time of Starkweather John, and we're more likely to find one or at least find out about one in a city."

"Anyway, what do you know about this group of hobgoblins? How many of them are in this group, are there more, and who did they fight here? Anything else?"

OOC: I think Ezekiul still has one 1st level spell left besides the domain slot. The only two spells I remember him casting today were CLW and Comprehend Languages, and the CLW turned out to be unnecessary and retconned out when Jaime's attack missed.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-16, 12:08 PM
Ezekiul

"By Brith's bushy beard!" Ezekiul says "I know that the underlining must mean something, but I cannot figure it out right now."

UserClone
2009-01-16, 12:28 PM
"Actually there is at least one obvious place we have not yet checked. I would like to examine the ruins of the church in Bronce. Not the priest's house, but the previous church. It seems an auspicious place in which to hide a relic."

srgonzo
2009-01-16, 12:45 PM
I'm Anaximander Shuul, pleased to make your acquaintance.

Annie walks over to offer a handshake.

As far as which way we go, the sword is somewhere in town, and it's buried. If the ruins don't pan out, we can try to figure out what the town looked like 1,000 years ago and guess where the best place to put a protective sword would be, look through whatever *chuckle* records they have in town to see if we can find out if he has or had descendants in town, and we can start digging. Sure, that might lead to a few problems, but I'm sure Kael and Zephram can talk the townsfolk into it. Or maybe we can look into these hobgoblins and buy ourselves a little extra goodwill in town.

After an hour, the shimmering aura around Annie dissapates.

lostsole31
2009-01-16, 12:47 PM
"An-axe-amander?" says Mardak, trying to sound it out. "Sooo... I take it that you were named after a relative what slew a fiery salamander with an axe? A fine weapon, a finer legacy, and a sturdy name, Axe!"

Kael is clearly a bit torn between two things he wants to do right now. "Well, I'm reluctant to interrupt our quest for that sword, and having such a legendary weapon would undoubtedly make hobgoblins easier to deal with. On the other hand, I don't know how long finding old John's sword will take and what a band of hobgoblins might do with that extra time. I take it the battle we spotted signs of involved some hobgoblins you're tracking?" ... AND ...
"Anyway, what do you know about this group of hobgoblins? How many of them are in this group, are there more, and who did they fight here? Anything else?"

"Well, up til now I only 'ad me a 'spicion that they was hobbos. There were 'nough signs 'ere and there that made it seem like per'aps a splinter group of ruffians. But after what I seen 'ere today, definitely hobbos. I haven't been trackin' 'em mind you, not yet. I merely came up to this area yestr'day and camped out, and then was goin' to start a sweep 'round Bronce. And I 'eard tell afore comin' north that there's a roving band of hobbos what goes by the name o' the Split Ear tribe. I'm guessin' this is them, though I don't know much else by them.

"From reports from other villages, this was no small warband, but not 'uge either ... bandit-mob size. So I knew I needed some 'elp in case I couldn't get out in time. Part o' the problem at being so good at trackin' em - like I says I'm low to the ground, but not far enough from it to be quick on me feet, either. So I came 'ere first thing this morning to pray to Aranu at the site of a great 'ero whose tomb was part o' me own business - I dunno - to get insp'ration I guess.

"No sooner do I finish me prayer, then the insp'ration struck ... I saw the signs of battle here, but before I had a chance t'investigate you clodders came ramblin' up the road.

"So 'ere we are now. After lookin' at the tracks, I'm goin' to say that some 16 or so creatures 'eaded deeper into the woods, and another 12 or so down the hill towards the mines. Both seem like hobbos, so it looks like one side doesn't much fancy the other, or even that someone in the same tribe didn' like the way things was run." This last he says with a bit of a smile.

"Now, at this point, I woulda' taken this word into Daven Gaskell in Bronce ... 'aven't met 'im but I'm told 'e's a good sort, and used to be a fine basher in 'is youth. I'd report to 'im, and 'e'd report to 'eadman Goodchild, and then they might send a courier out whenever they thought it safe ... IF they ever thought it safe, or wait for some traveling caravan what's willin' to travel through bandit territory to make a coin.

"Yeah," he says without waiting for a response, "I don' see it 'appenin no-'ow anyways. Still, I'd'a then gone and seen if I could get a firm count a full strength ... jes' in case these 'ere hobbos are more of a small skirmish than the 'ole lot. Nah, I'm inclined t'blieve that there's not much more'n 'em or they'd'a been too many and causin' more troubl'n we'd 'eard 'bout. But I gotta' make sure.

"After all that ... I hike me 'appy carcass all the way back t' Saragost and give me report, informin' the nearby villages o' what I know on the way. And after all that's done ... 'ow long do you think - altogether - it'll be 'fore they get a decent force all'a way up 'ere to do something. That, and 'ow many other folks'd suffer for it?

"You boys'd already shown that the, er, majority 'ave some sense of right. I look at Mr. Boss, and I ain' never seen thicker. You, Kael, nearly took me 'and off. Zeke Britter [DM: yup, the first time he's given a nick and surname ... and this is how they develop!] there doesn' look like no book-priest I ever seen, and at least seems like 'e 'as a fine 'ead on them broad shoulders. Axe there has got some magic o' some sort. Even Hu-minal 'as some magic and looks like 'e'd be a good man, or whatever, in a scrape. Course, you got an elf in yer crew, and if ever there was a sort hobbos don' like at all? Well, that would be an elf.

"I think we can do it ... 'cause I sure couldn' ... but looks like with me woodcraft and lore o' them and your Wreckin' Crew we'd do right by ourselves. No more innocents is 'urt by them goons, p'raps we find yer sword while we're 'ere, you boys make good like 'eroes and that in turn makes you good elsewhere's as well, and I succeed at me mission, get to fulfill me pap's last wish, and maybe get promoted to boot!

"What of it, Boss?" Mardak turns and asks Zephram.