PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

afroakuma
2009-05-02, 11:33 AM
Well, it's very important. There are certain SRD spells that simply will not exist due to the nature of the setting.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-02, 01:18 PM
A witch, a fiend, and a half-ghul walk into a bar in Naranj. What happens?

afroakuma
2009-05-02, 01:31 PM
How do you know she is a witch?

Irrelevant, though, because thanks to the fiend everyone runs away in terror. Maybe someone very drunk thinks he can take a stab at it.

Athaniar
2009-05-02, 01:53 PM
And no, all undead are not evil. I was thinking of skeletons and zombies here, not mummies.

Ooh, good mummies are fun. Any of them rule a city?

Among the devas, the concept of a boat is unheard of. Boats fascinate devas the way devas fascinate mortals.

Is it because all devas can fly? Or don't they have bodies of water at all? Or both?

afroakuma
2009-05-02, 02:01 PM
Ooh, good mummies are fun. Any of them rule a city?

Perhaps.

Is it because all devas can fly? Or don't they have bodies of water at all? Or both?

Kamala is a world with a different history, one in which technological advances that we take for granted aren't necessarily there. Although boats of one sort or another are prevalent in most human cultures even BCE, boats only appeared on Siraaj in the last 200 years and ships in the last 30. Najmah has never seen either despite having much more water. Enough water that they would be very useful in comparison to flying. There would actually be more wars among the races of Najmah (most of whom can fly natively) if boats and ships existed there.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-02, 02:46 PM
1. You still haven't answered my question on gunpowder.

2. How prevalent is glassteel or similar materials? What sorts of uses can we expect new and old special materials to be put to?

afroakuma
2009-05-02, 03:31 PM
1. You still haven't answered my question on gunpowder.

I do not recall said question.

2. How prevalent is glassteel or similar materials? What sorts of uses can we expect new and old special materials to be put to?

That would be very rare. The original City of Glass was built by Limalia.

Darkwood is very, very rare, owing to the lack of elves and vastly reduced arboreal plant life.

Cold iron... well, there's just something so interesting to say here that I can't spill the beans just yet. Of course, there are far fewer fey in the setting; keep that in mind.

From what I understand, mithril won't be available under the sun. (Subterranean is "below," too, so don't pull that on me.)

Alchemical silver will of course be available.

Thane of Fife
2009-05-02, 10:07 PM
If I were to hope for a Power Words: Open (Sesame) spell, would my hopes be fulfilled?

On the note of not remaking all of the classes, that makes me happy, as I was getting somewhat worried about that.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-03, 12:53 AM
If I were to hope for a Power Words: Open (Sesame) spell, would my hopes be fulfilled?

Yes. It's called knock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/knock.htm). :smallwink:

On the note of not remaking all of the classes, that makes me happy, as I was getting somewhat worried about that.

Relax, & just remember: It's only a campaign setting. :smallbiggrin: We're not out to change the game; we're just here to make it better & more fun.

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 08:16 AM
Aaaaand another lovely class teaser, this time for a much-maligned old fave:

The Fighter

Fighters in 3.X have always been about customization and devising your own combat style. No longer does this mean "2HF with Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper" for every single fighter who wants to be a success.

In fact, it means that fighters can now study a combat form - there are seven. All of them make you more effective.

Huge dragon staring you down? Want to slash across its belly, rending flesh and disgorging blood and ichor? Do it. Go on. We'll even throw in more damage.

How awesome a hero are you? Are mooks almost nothing for you to dispatch? Overcome them and move on as if they were nothing.

Feeling more cautious about your reserve of HP? That's fine, finish your full attack and run away. No worries; time it right and the guy you were just swording won't be able to counter you in time.

Duelist? Parry and counterattack to your heart's content!

Poor feats in feat chains got you down? No worries, Dodge's new big brother is worth taking, and even Cleave has a reason to live!

Keep a heroic weapon on hand for those difficult fights, carry an array of deadly blades in magical scabbards and be sure to heft your retributive shield against your enemies.

Dying? Who cares, you're the beatstick. You can just stand up and bash your enemies until you keel over dead. You'll be glad you did. Topple foes greater than yourself with ease. Get in touch with your armored side - to make sure nothing else does!

What's that? You went to Fighter College? You're a professional? Alright, then why not study ritual lore? Learn a couple of supernatural loopholes, powerful training regimens, and magics born of the legends at the foundation of the world.

Be a fighter to find a unique path in a world with a hundred choices, take on immense enemies and duel those your own size at close range, develop your own unique fighting style, enjoy tactical advantages and exploit the real value of every one of your ten bonus feats. You're an ordinary person triumphing daily over the worst that a world that hates you can dish out - act like it!

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-03, 08:51 AM
I do not recall said question.

Well, are there any plans to include it? A sidebar about its invention or lack thereof? Gunpowder weaponry? With the prevalence of alchemists in this setting, gunpowder seems inevitable.

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 09:04 AM
Gunpowder weaponry?

Absolutely not.

With the prevalence of alchemists in this setting, gunpowder seems inevitable.

Indeed, but if it appears it will likely be as a hazardous explosive.

As I said, the progression of technology has diverged from what we've experienced. This world didn't ask itself "what if this explosion could be controlled," mainly because said explosion was in the hands of mercurial madmen.

puppyavenger
2009-05-03, 12:23 PM
So.. has any work been done on dragons yet?

are you willing to tell us it?

if so, please do so:smallamused:

Is there a logical reason why any ancient or higher dragon isn't ruling, or at least acting like the Imperial Inquisition (taking whatever he/she wants and leaving again) towards the area around them?

If Zihja(thi is probably got spelling wrong, I mean the overgod) is worried about new religions forming, wouldn't it make sense for him to just kill all dragons, sorcerers, and other creatures capable of plausible having powers that most people would classify as miracles as soon as they reached a certain power level?

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 12:38 PM
If Zihja(thi is probably got spelling wrong, I mean the overgod) is worried about new religions forming, wouldn't it make sense for him to just kill all dragons, sorcerers, and other creatures capable of plausible having powers that most people would classify as miracles as soon as they reached a certain power level?

You'd think that, but throughout history his interference has only caused greater problems. The last aspect he took on was Maqur; when he struck her down, a more powerful cult formed in her place. That's about when he gave up on that idea for good.

puppyavenger
2009-05-03, 04:02 PM
You'd think that, but throughout history his interference has only caused greater problems. The last aspect he took on was Maqur; when he struck her down, a more powerful cult formed in her place. That's about when he gave up on that idea for good.

ah right omnipotence=/=omniscience.

so what about my other questions?

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 04:09 PM
are you willing to tell us it?

That one kind of mitigates your other questions.

puppyavenger
2009-05-03, 04:29 PM
That one kind of mitigates your other questions.

so that would be a no for those then?

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 04:37 PM
That would be a no on my willingness to discuss dragons.

puppyavenger
2009-05-03, 05:22 PM
That would be a no on my willingness to discuss dragons.

right.

anyway, did Zihja actualy create the world? life? reality? Am I just deluding myself that you're going to answer this?

Also, are we going to get another class or Aspect description at some point?

afroakuma
2009-05-03, 05:50 PM
anyway, did Zihja actualy create the world?

Yep.

life?

Yep.

reality?

Technically no.

Also, are we going to get another class or Aspect description at some point?

See Fighter, above.

puppyavenger
2009-05-04, 10:40 AM
Technically no.

Did anything come before him, or was it like Gaea in Greek mythology, just suddenly came into existence?

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 11:12 AM
Did anything come before him, or was it like Gaea in Greek mythology, just suddenly came into existence?

Well, I said "technically" because, holding to the D&D multiverse tradition, reality itself appeared before overgods such as Ao, the Highgod and Zihaja. In the broadest sense, therefore, he did not create reality.

And yes, it is possible to break away from the yin-yang planes of Kamala. A gate spell can get you out. However, it's incredibly difficult and dangerous, and you'll likely never return.

Shadow_Elf
2009-05-04, 04:58 PM
Well, whilst Afro and Zeta have been boosting the abandoned classes of 3.5e with feats, compatible weapons, and new spells to play with, I considered the 4e classes.

4e prides itself on its immaculate balance. But many believed that WotC made a mistake when balancing the classes, and that one of them fell behind the rest in the conversion.

So, I present you with the tale of:

The 4e Wizard: Badassery Strikes Back
Wizards dominated the 3.5e scene, their epic and Epic spells laying low entire armies of ECL-appropriate enemies. Gates were hurled around, summoning powerful monsters to destroy the weaklings that confronted the wizard, and astral projection cheese abounded.
When the 4e designers approached the classes, they decided the Wizard needed to be taken down a few notches. However, they dropped it perhaps a few too many notches - the CharOp boards soon felt the Wizard was underpowered, left in the dust in terms of DPR by such champions of battle as the Ranger and Rogue, and their mobility could not match that of the notorious Feylock, nor could their buffs reach the level of those handed out by Clerics and Warlords. They seemed too spread out, and their role of Controller seemed vague, since no other existed to compare them to.
PH2 soon arrived. With it came the Druid and Invoker - both of them more specialized than their Arcane counterpart. The Invoker was a dedicated hamperer - low damage, high control, and could do his job very well. The Druid was more versatile - with a mix of melee and ranged control powers, and their super-cool looking Wild Shape ability, they outshone the Wizard tenfold. Even the Sorcerer, not even a Controller, exceeded the Wizard's AoE damage capabilities easily.
Then came HoZ. Wizards were to be lynched viciously, feared greatly, and many of their rituals such as Planar Portal were to be limited. One cannot walk through Fey pathways without a Feywild, or bungee-jump a short distance through the Shadowfell to travel through walls, if there is no Shadowfell. It seemed no one would play a Wizard - as soon as they tried to be useful, they would scare everyone and be killed.
So I decided they needed a boost, in the form of a mechanic tentatively called "metamagic", which goes beyond the system known to players of the 3.5e generation, and two feats, which would make their cantrips useful and increase their utility and versatility.
Witness the awesomeness of the new cantrips dancing lights, greater mage hand, arcane subtlety and ghost image. Make use those situational utility spells you never understand why you learned in the first place. And light spells on fire, perform sneaky magic, and chill your enemies to the bone unexpectedly with your mighty fireball!
Coming soon to a forum near you.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 05:14 PM
Yes! Although the Wizard certainly got a booster shot of awesome from Arcane Power, another little bit can't help. And I do like the name subtle spell better than arcane subtlety. That's...pretty much all I have to suggest right now.
Whatever happened to subtlety? It died, but nobody noticed. ...Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LordZarth
2009-05-04, 07:16 PM
Naranj? Doesn't that mean orange in Arabic?

Kamala? So we have a name for Siraaj and Najmah collectively now? What exactly is Kamala? Siraaj and Najmah? More? What's outside of Kamala, when you gate out? Vestiges? Zihaja? Far Realm? Planescape? Nobody knows? Not even you know? You-don't-"know"-but-have-cool-ideas? Where is Zihaja?

Alteran
2009-05-04, 07:25 PM
I believe we were told that Kamala is the name for Siraaj and Najmah collectively.

Szilard
2009-05-04, 07:31 PM

Probably, also in Spanish and Hungarian.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 07:34 PM

It does indeed. Any guesses what one finds there?

Kamala? So we have a name for Siraaj and Najmah collectively now?

Yes.

What exactly is Kamala? Siraaj and Najmah?

Yes.

What's outside of Kamala, when you gate out?

A series of increasingly tough Spellcraft checks, and then a random transitive plane.

Where is Zihaja?

At home. Probably reclined on a circular divan, facing up to look through the eyes of ten golden masks.

Llama231
2009-05-04, 07:36 PM
Ten golden masks?

What does that mean?

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 07:42 PM
Ten aspects.

Lappy9000
2009-05-04, 08:58 PM
Got bored and started reading the introductory stuff at the beginning of the thread. I still can't get over how totally awesome the Pharaoh is gonna be :smallcool:

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 09:31 PM
Neither can I. :smallbiggrin:

A list of some really cool stuff (some of which made Zeta's eyes pop)

The List

Pharaoh prestige class
nature's image
Nathar's nightmare nemesis
The new poison rules
Veneration
Zealous Faith
True Believer
The falx
Rage feats
Form feats
unquenchable fire of the sun
Heroic weapons
Escaping armor
Agals
quern of dust
scabbard of the winds
Ghuls
Vasrah
Maqur
sacred aura
hunter's mark
impossible feat
competence

Really, it's just full of cool stuff.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 09:49 PM
scabbard of the winds

I am intrigued. Well, I am intrigued by most things on that list, but this one in particular stands out to me.

hunter's mark

Is this anything like hunter's quarry from the 4e ranger?

Lappy9000
2009-05-04, 09:59 PM
competence
An essential, yet oft forgotten, part of any party's daily breakfast.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:00 PM
I am intrigued. Well, I am intrigued by most things on that list, but this one in particular stands out to me.

Shadow's idea. Which I thought was awesome, and ran with for like three or four more. We have Shadow to thank for magical scabbards.

Is this anything like hunter's quarry from the 4e ranger?

Not having played 4E, I wouldn't know. I would not be surprised to find it to be so, however.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:01 PM
An essential, yet oft forgotten, part of any party's daily breakfast.

Indeed. Rangers now have competence. When Zeta read it, he said (not for the first time) that it's something that should have been in SRD.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 10:04 PM
Not having played 4E, I wouldn't know. I would not be surprised to find it to be so, however.

Simply put, a ranger gets to mark a certain creature with a minor (swift) action and then gets bonus damage whenever they hit them. It's 1d6 per tier, or 1d8 if you take a feat.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:08 PM
Ah. In that case, I think mine is cooler. Less blunt, though.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 10:11 PM
Yeah, hunter's quarry is probably the least interesting of the striker extra damage features. I'm glad (and not surprised) to hear that yours is cooler.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:15 PM
Well, mine is literally a mark, so... :smallbiggrin:

Oh, the cool spells we're gonna have. Heck, we already have some crazy cool spells, and I haven't even really dug into wizards and clerics yet.

Lappy9000
2009-05-04, 10:25 PM
Well, mine is literally a mark, so... :smallbiggrin:

Oh, the cool spells we're gonna have. Heck, we already have some crazy cool spells, and I haven't even really dug into wizards and clerics yet.More power to you guys. I know I'm not touching any spells and not going outside of racial feats. The nice thing about working with Fax is that he's churning out all of the crunch for me :smalltongue:

Back on topic, though, I still can't wait to see your awesome.

Edit: Oh my....

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:27 PM
Why wait? Have a taste of awesome, Lappy!

Reverent-One
2009-05-04, 10:30 PM
Am I the only one to find it funny that while in 3.5 ed, the wizard gets a kick in the teeth (and is pretty much the only class to get kicked in the teeth, from my understading), in 4e it gets a boost?

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:34 PM
Am I the only one to find it funny that while in 3.5 ed, the wizard gets a kick in the teeth (and is pretty much the only class to get kicked in the teeth, from my understading), in 4e it gets a boost?

I both find it funny and at the same time entirely support it, since 4E Core (Core core, for those 4E players who drank the Kool-Aid) has only the one arcane class. And remember, our wizards still wield magic that can only be described as terrifying; they lose out on their traditional favorites in terms of optimization and cheese, and while their overall power capacity may drop, some of the stuff they can do is from your worst nightmares.

Lappy9000
2009-05-04, 10:42 PM
Why wait? Have a taste of awesome, Lappy!Indeed. The awesome is truly awesome. My eyes have been opened to a new and glorious realm....

Alteran
2009-05-04, 10:45 PM
I both find it funny and at the same time entirely support it, since 4E Core (Core core, for those 4E players who drank the Kool-Aid) has only the one arcane class.

The PHB has the Warlock as well. If you go by classes that were core in 3.X (and are technically core in 4e) you also have the bard and sorcerer. Not that I disagree with giving the wizard some more awesome, as I believe it was the only class widely considered to be somewhat underpowered.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:48 PM
The PHB has the Warlock as well.

Fine, two, but see next:

If you go by classes that were core in 3.X

Exactly.

As far as "spellcasters," you've got the one.

(and are technically core in 4e)

Kool-Aid.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 10:51 PM
I don't see what's wrong with kool-aid. You've got liquid, sugar, colours...what else could you want?

Lappy9000
2009-05-04, 10:55 PM
Kool-Aid.Not to be crass, but:

i lul'd

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 10:59 PM
I see nothing crass about it.

Alteran
2009-05-04, 11:03 PM
Anyways, regardless of colourful beverages I'd expect to see some coverage for non-core (well, non-your core) 4e classes. After all, many classes that were core in 3.X came out in the 4e PHB2. It wouldn't make much sense to have 3.X support for the Barbarian, Bard, Druid, and Sorcerer but not 4e support.

Not supporting classes like the Avenger, Invoker, or Warden I can understand, as they simply don't exist in one of the editions.

afroakuma
2009-05-04, 11:05 PM
Anything outside of your core will be additional material. Things aren't being covered in a 1:1 ratio in any event - we have a buttload of new spells, whereas Shadow is against doing new powers. We have less racial feats. Etc., etc....

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-05, 12:59 PM
Alteran, you clearly are behind on your serial killers. Drinking the Kool-Aid is never a good thing.

On Fighters - I always thought the biggest problem with Fighters is that class features > feats. Do you plan on making fighter-exclusive feats (well, even then the Warblade still makes 'em obsolete...) or just adding the feats and hoping for the best?

afroakuma
2009-05-05, 01:07 PM
I can't think if there's any off the top of my head, but I think HoZ is at the point where some feat chains very much resemble class features. While a fighter won't see exclusives in that department, they'll have access to more of them overall.

Now, there are exclusive rituals for fighters, so that's always fun. Ritual Lore is the only feat I'm aware of that is both a fighter bonus feat and a wizard bonus feat. (The method of practicing rituals disqualifies a warblade from acquiring fighter rituals).

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-05, 01:16 PM
Rituals, you say? Can we possibly get more information on those, or perhaps some fluff on a setting-specific monster? :p

afroakuma
2009-05-05, 01:27 PM
Rituals, you say? Can we possibly get more information on those

Sure! Rituals are the practice of taking a (true) superstition to its logical conclusion. Like if you tied a black cat to an RC car and made it weave back and forth in front of the school bully's front door in order to curse him.

In the case of HoZ, it involves tapping into the mystical foundations of Kamala in some way, and drawing forth a benefit. Some are just training forms that echo the motions of natural creatures; others are dogmatic practices of a specific faith. Many are just benevolent good-luck charms; some have horrifying repercussions for even attempting.

Rituals can be attempted by anyone who's ever heard of them, but they always require a skill check of some sort. The Ritual Lore feat allows you to try a basic ritual without a check penalty, or to use more esoteric rituals at all. It also lets you make items that store the power of the ritual.

Rituals do things you'd never see elsewhere, from restoring a cleric's spell slots to bestowing a blessing from the grace of the sun itself. You can make a hated foe awaken with a nightshead scorpion in their mouth, send your blood to spy on your enemies, keep sunlight at bay, bind a spirit to a lamp...

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-05, 01:35 PM
Interesting...so, if these rituals take the superstitions to their logical conclusions, what do the superstitions by themselves do? Are they a spontaenous phenomenon, something built into the laws of physics, the result of a magical event? Can ordinary people use those superstitions without making checks (like, for example, sending one's enemy a hundred black cats and instructing the mailman to just leave them inside)?

afroakuma
2009-05-05, 01:47 PM
Interesting...so, if these rituals take the superstitions to their logical conclusions, what do the superstitions by themselves do?

As has been heavily implied, most of them are true, though not as visible as actual magic and so can be passed off as coincidences. Some are patently false and stupid, like grapefruit being oranges that got poisoned by honey spiders.

Are they a spontaenous phenomenon, something built into the laws of physics, the result of a magical event?

Basically, yes. The mystical foundations of the yin-yang planes leave echoes of great happenings, which superstitious actions can mirror. Spirits of the world watch and respond to specific "messages." All that sort of thing.

Can ordinary people use those superstitions without making checks (like, for example, sending one's enemy a hundred black cats and instructing the mailman to just leave them inside)?

Always gotta have a check. Your example would probably be Handle Animal (Diplomacy if you were getting the mailman to do it). Without the appropriate Ritual Lore, you'll have a penalty at the very least.

And no, some things ordinary people simply cannot do. If a human tries to send her blood to spy on a rival, as she has heard the ghuls can do, she'll probably bleed to death from a charmingly jagged cut along her forearm.

Alteran
2009-05-05, 04:24 PM
You can make a hated foe awaken with a nightshead scorpion in their mouth, send your blood to spy on your enemies, keep sunlight at bay, bind a spirit to a lamp...

This sounds very cool, especially sending your blood to spy on your enemy. It sounds like the sort of thing that would mesh pretty well with the existing 4e ritual system as well, which definitely could use the boost.

afroakuma
2009-05-05, 09:57 PM
That particular ritual is race-restricted. Only ghuls and half-ghuls can send a hemoculus after their enemies.

Alteran
2009-05-05, 10:54 PM
Ahhh, now I feel like I should have made the connection. Anyways, it seems appropriately creepy for Ghuls, and a bit too creepy for other races (unless you're a blood mage).

afroakuma
2009-05-06, 08:21 PM
It's also just one more reason to play a half-ghul. :smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-09, 07:28 AM
Just popping in on one of my flying visits...

Anyhow, stuff looks cool still, even though AA is showing off other people's POWER more often than he shows off his own (or so it seems).

afroakuma
2009-05-09, 07:33 AM
In this thread, I never show off my POWER.

Though that reminds me, I have a villain to complete...

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-09, 07:48 AM
In this thread, I never show off my [U]POWER[U].

Though that reminds me, I have a villain to complete...

Slipping so much that you mucked up one of the tags...

Your connection to the almighty POWER is atrophying. You must rededicate yourself to the channeling of that POWER at once, or others shall surpass you...

[/cheesy this-is-your-quest speech]

afroakuma
2009-05-09, 07:55 AM
I see no such error. Backspace+Ctrl+I after putting the tags in took out more than I realized.

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-09, 09:27 AM
I see an edit line. you can't fool everyone with that little trick, oh being with the mighty hair...

afroakuma
2009-05-09, 09:34 AM
So do I, but I fail to see how that is proof in any way.

vegetalss4
2009-05-10, 04:56 AM
So do I, but I fail to see how that is proof in any way.

Proof as i would hold in court NO (a rather strange court to even consider whether you have removed an error, but still)
Proof as in enough to convince the community(not that they care) that you have done it. YES:smallwink:

Lappy9000
2009-05-10, 10:52 AM
Proof as in enough to convince the community(not that they care) that you have done it. YES:smallwink:Lies. Falsehoods. Caulmny.

afroakuma
2009-05-10, 10:54 AM
But do you know what isn't lies, falsehoods or calumny?

A big raft of cool spells, including some that will make rangers viable.

afroakuma
2009-05-10, 12:14 PM
Time for another class teaser:

The Ranger

Rangers in 3.0 were a sad, empty class with few redeeming features. 3.X added a half-baked animal companion and a half-baked free feat progression that didn't mitigate the "too little, too late" that rangers continued to suffer from.

Until now.

Have a favored enemy? How much do you hate him? Enough to just keep attacking him regardless of who else is nearby? Do that; we'll reward your dedicated hatred.

Have you been tracking someone? Pick up their scent with a simple spell, then get the drop on them by swording them in the face before they have a chance to see you. Was it your favored enemy? Tip off your pals and spread the initiative bonuses around!

Do you see a wizard casting enervate at you? Dodge it.

As a ranger, you are nature's ally, a patron of the wild and savage land you inhabit. Unlike a druid, who channels the power of nature, you walk alongside it. Step along the wind's edge, guiding your arrows to do the same. Bring forth a zephyr to blind and disorient foes. Acquire camouflage in any environment.

Whether you favor paired weapons or raining death from above, you'll discover options that let you exploit your savage strength. Place your hunter's mark on a foe and then snipe them from afar, in the dark, in a thick fog bank, while they're invisible. Make paired strikes with your two weapons, or bring the second to bear like a scorpion's sting.

You are now capable of impossible feats, fostering nature's child in nature's image. Your animal companion will likewise share in your power, and through your understanding and instinct can help you take down the mightiest of foes.

Be a ranger to explore the power of a lone wolf; to derive strength from an instinctual, intuitive competence and to hunt with a tireless ferocity. Weaken your enemies with uncertainty, riddle them with arrows, gut them with a knife they never saw coming. When you step into the time of the hunter, even the greatest wizard will fall before your killing prowess. You are a rugged survivor, a warrior with a lean, predatory edge bestowed through the trials of sand and storm - act like it!

puppyavenger
2009-05-10, 12:53 PM
The Ranger

You know, you should really be a marketing executive somewhere.

Alteran
2009-05-10, 01:32 PM
Wow. Once again I am thoroughly impressed by a teaser for something that will not actually impact how I play the game.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-10, 01:32 PM
Afro, will you marry me? Over the internet?

afroakuma
2009-05-10, 01:48 PM
Afro, will you marry me? Over the internet?

Was it really that good?

LordZarth
2009-05-10, 04:13 PM
Was it really that good?

Answer: No, not him! Marry me! Me, I say!

Or, alternatively, post another class teaser.

afroakuma
2009-05-10, 06:14 PM
I'd also like to point out that there's been a lot of good words spoken about our secret prerelease material.

Juhn
2009-05-10, 07:51 PM
Well, now I'm excited all over again for that character concept I posted back in the last thread.

Ranger might be edging out Barbarian now. Of course, another class teaser might change that again...

afroakuma
2009-05-10, 07:55 PM
Funny you should mention that; I've been having the barbarian's headline feats reviewed. They're probably next.

Any current questions/comments about the setting?

Juhn
2009-05-11, 01:11 AM
Not in particular, other than I'm just rather excited about all this in general and am anxiously awaiting the release of more teasers.

Mayhaps someone should use this new information to post another character concept...

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-11, 11:58 AM
Afro, I have always had a deep and abiding hatred for the Ranger as a class. It started in second edition AD&D and carried on through 3.5, and the whole reason is that Ranger has always been a "so what?" class. Favored enemies...so what? Two weapons...so what? Archery? Don't make me laugh. A fighter will out-arch a ranger in half the levels, probably with double the effectiveness. Everything about the Ranger was half-done and half-assed, and I hated them for it.

You, however, have made me excited about the Ranger's existence. That is the reason for the marriage proposal.

Also, bards. I <3 them. Any info forthcoming on the subject?

afroakuma
2009-05-11, 12:14 PM
Afro, I have always had a deep and abiding hatred for the Ranger as a class. It started in second edition AD&D and carried on through 3.5, and the whole reason is that Ranger has always been a "so what?" class. Favored enemies...so what? Two weapons...so what? Archery? Don't make me laugh. A fighter will out-arch a ranger in half the levels, probably with double the effectiveness. Everything about the Ranger was half-done and half-assed, and I hated them for it.

A new suite of tailored feats and exclusive/semi-exclusive spells will give the ranger some much-needed focus.

The new ranger could best be described as a tactical personal buffer.

Also, bards. I <3 them. Any info forthcoming on the subject?

Bard spells are currently next in the development queue, so I would anticipate that one to be forthcoming.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-11, 01:26 PM
Yay, bards! They started out overpowered in 2nd ed, and then became a joke in 3rd. I hope you do right by them ^_^

Zeta Kai
2009-05-11, 04:08 PM
Yay, bards! They started out overpowered in 2nd ed, and then became a joke in 3rd. I hope you do right by them ^_^

One of our minor goals (sub-quests?) for this whole project is for provide for better class balance in 3E, without resorting to 4E-style homogenization.

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-11, 06:18 PM
One of our minor goals (sub-quests?) for this whole project is for provide for better class balance in 3E, without resorting to 4E-style homogenization.

Too big to be a sub-quest... In fact, if you managed to get it done without reaching epic levels ten times over I'd be surprised. In short, that would have to be a major, overarcing plot thread, not a sub-quest.

afroakuma
2009-05-11, 06:28 PM
Well, we're still giving it a try.

And I daresay we'll see some minor degree of success.

lesser_minion
2009-05-11, 06:55 PM

Actually, they cropped up as a hideously complicated weird progression thingy in one of the appendices to the 1e PHB.

Aren't bards considered halfway decent in 3e (assuming non-core) though? Or was that one specific cheesy build?

Better class balance would be pretty awesome. I don't think it makes it to overarching campaign plot, however.

Lappy9000
2009-05-11, 09:08 PM
Well, we're still giving it a try.

And I daresay we'll see some awesome degree of success.From what I've seen from the Ranger and Paladin alone, I'd back this.

afroakuma
2009-05-11, 09:12 PM
But you didn't even see any ranger stuff!

Fortunately, I corrected said oversight. :smallamused:

afroakuma
2009-05-12, 09:45 PM
Better class balance would be pretty awesome. I don't think it makes it to overarching campaign plot, however.

I should point out that we're not just aiming for better class balance, but also better build balance. There will still probably be one perfectly optimized build, but there will be several accessible decent builds available, and there won't be as much demonstrable superiority from one play style over another.

At least, I'd like to think that. :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-13, 04:54 AM
and there won't be as much demonstrable superiority from one play style over another.
this is probably a wind-up
Does that include the superiority of almost everything else over Evocation in the case of the wizard?

afroakuma
2009-05-13, 07:05 AM
Does that include the superiority of almost everything else over Evocation in the case of the wizard?

Yes, actually. Specialists will no longer have such an easy call to make about dumping evocation.

lesser_minion
2009-05-13, 07:25 AM

afroakuma had a thread up in Roleplaying Games a few weeks ago where he asked for ideas for extra stuff to add to evocation. It wasn't too successful (he wanted things aside from energy/elemental stuff), but there were quite a few interesting elemental spells suggested.

He also had a thread asking how you might go about beating a wiz 20, and what, in particular, would need to be banned or sorted out. It took me a while to figure out that they might be connected to this though.

afroakuma
2009-05-13, 07:48 AM
afroakuma had a thread up in Roleplaying Games a few weeks ago where he asked for ideas for extra stuff to add to evocation. It wasn't too successful (he wanted things aside from energy/elemental stuff), but there were quite a few interesting elemental spells suggested.

Yes, well, there was a lot of bias in that thread. Regardless, the new suite of evocation spells has some practical effects that are worth looking into. Plus, you know, contingency.

He also had a thread asking how you might go about beating a wiz 20, and what, in particular, would need to be banned or sorted out. It took me a while to figure out that they might be connected to this though.

Yes, well, now we have our answers. :smallamused:

lesser_minion
2009-05-13, 09:03 AM
Yes, well, there was a lot of bias in that thread. Regardless, the new suite of evocation spells has some practical effects that are worth looking into. Plus, you know, contingency.

Really? I know there were a few people who wanted Evocation to have nothing but blasty stuff and lose Contingency into the bargain, but the general consensus was that elemental/energy stuff wasn't bad, it was just used very uncreatively (i.e. yet another blast spell).

I still think creating smoke could have been an interesting option, even if it was just energy/elemental.Although I guess you already had the POWER for creative elemental/energy effects.

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-14, 09:47 AM
Then let me just say that it seems you've found your evocation in life Afro.

afroakuma
2009-05-14, 09:53 AM
Bad pun. :smallyuk:

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-14, 10:14 AM
I know it was, but I just couldn't resist.

Out of interest, has anyone put forward a case for spontaneous combustion, starting from the inside of the target, as a form of evocation?

Alteran
2009-05-14, 05:05 PM
There's a spell aptly named Combust in 4e, but I don't know if there is an equivalent in 3.5.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-14, 05:09 PM
There's a spell aptly named Combust in 4e, but I don't know if there is an equivalent in 3.5.

There is, but it's not OGL.

...For that matter, 4e isn't OGL. Is that gonna be an issue?

Lappy9000
2009-05-14, 06:44 PM
I know it was, but I just couldn't resist.

Out of interest, has anyone put forward a case for spontaneous combustion, starting from the inside of the target, as a form of evocation?Jhonen Olian to the rescue! (http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/mournland_spells.html) There's an 9th level Open Game Content spell called Soul Nova that lets you transmute the target's body into pure energy. Sadly, the spell is Necromancy, although I have no idea what changes to evocation Afroakuma has proposed.

The effects of said spell are similar to what one of my players wants to do with Knock as I repeatedly remind him that Knock Does Not Work That Way! :smallannoyed:

Alteran
2009-05-14, 07:30 PM
[URL="http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/mournland_spells.html"]There's an 9th level Open Game Content spell called Soul Nova that lets you transmute the target's body into pure energy.

I find it sort of strange that it's a necromancy spell, in that case. The spell description even uses the word transmute. :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-05-14, 08:02 PM
In the main, most of our spell plans revolve around the word "awesome." Also either the word "greater" or some other term that clearly implies same.

For example, the bard spell firesinger could be called greater pyrotechnics, or awesome pyrotechnics.

By the way, Lappy, you never said how you liked the ranger stuff.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-14, 08:08 PM
There is, but it's not OGL.

...For that matter, 4e isn't OGL. Is that gonna be an issue?

I repeat the question.

afroakuma
2009-05-14, 08:13 PM
The answer would be "no." Since it'll just be homebrew and won't be published.

afroakuma
2009-05-15, 11:33 AM
In the news department, we're still brewing spells for 3.X, and both editions are currently getting peer reviewed by players and DMs.

More importantly, a new system has been installed that I really think is going to be the DM's best friend, as well as something fun for players.

Lappy9000
2009-05-15, 02:05 PM
By the way, Lappy, you never said how you liked the ranger stuff.Blame that on forum lag; not for a lack of trying :smallsigh:

Awesome is certainly a fair descriptor for the six spells you sent me (you sent one with the Paladin list, so yes, I had actually already seen one :smallwink:). Heck, they make me want to play a ranger. And I don't even really like rangers.

My final review:http://electricpulp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/seal-1.gif

afroakuma
2009-05-15, 02:18 PM
Always glad to know that awesomeness is correctly being concocted by the POWER.

lesser_minion
2009-05-15, 05:10 PM
More importantly, a new system has been installed that I really think is going to be the DM's best friend, as well as something fun for players.

This intrigues me. Would you be willing to elaborate?

afroakuma
2009-05-15, 05:20 PM
This intrigues me. Would you be willing to elaborate?

For once, yes I would.

I offer you: Rituals, the fruit of legend, the harvest of superstition and the echo of what has come before.

Rituals allow any character to tap into supernatural powers, whether to strike barren the womb of a hated foe or to trade mercy for truth from your opponent's lips.

Through research and practice, one can expand one's ritual power, though through simple superstition such powers can be used untrained. There can be a cost, which might be your life should you delve into darker corners.

Most importantly, rituals can be invoked by happenstance or coincidence; things may occur in the heat of battle that one did not intend, and certain failure can suddenly become surprising success.

Rituals will give everyone a chance to dabble in the arcane and exotic, and function for both flavor and utility. Clerics can now actually practice tenets of their religions, but can also Venerate their gods to regain spellcasting. The wicked woman who you slighted can conjure deadly scorpions in your mouth. Train the town militia in a morning regimen that calls forth echoes of warriors from long ago, or climb alongside the sun and present its reflection to gain a solar blessing.

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-18, 03:50 AM
Interesting spoiler. I can't wait to see more except of course that- being one of the more patient VUACS hecklers- I probably can wait.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-18, 05:41 AM
Interesting spoiler. I can't wait to see more except of course that- being one of the more patient VUACS hecklers- I probably can wait.

Well, your continue patience & support is appreciate. I can assure you all that the Build Team has been working almost every single day since the voting end to bring this project to a satisfying completion, & we have great confidence that you won't be disappointed. Thanks for watching... & waiting.

afroakuma
2009-05-18, 07:14 AM
And our work is paying off. Feats, rules and prestige classes are already going through peer review; spells are about 40-50% done.

vegetalss4
2009-05-20, 01:40 AM
For once, yes I would.

I offer you: Rituals, the fruit of legend, the harvest of superstition and the echo of what has come before.

Rituals allow any character to tap into supernatural powers, whether to strike barren the womb of a hated foe or to trade mercy for truth from your opponent's lips.

Through research and practice, one can expand one's ritual power, though through simple superstition such powers can be used untrained. There can be a cost, which might be your life should you delve into darker corners.

Most importantly, rituals can be invoked by happenstance or coincidence; things may occur in the heat of battle that one did not intend, and certain failure can suddenly become surprising success.

Rituals will give everyone a chance to dabble in the arcane and exotic, and function for both flavor and utility. Clerics can now actually practice tenets of their religions, but can also Venerate their gods to regain spellcasting. The wicked woman who you slighted can conjure deadly scorpions in your mouth. Train the town militia in a morning regimen that calls forth echoes of warriors from long ago, or climb alongside the sun and present its reflection to gain a solar blessing.

this sounds really cool. but i wonder, how do rituals being invoked by happenstance work:smallconfused:? DM fiat?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-20, 05:14 AM
this sounds really cool. but i wonder, how do rituals being invoked by happenstance work:smallconfused:? DM fiat?

Right place, right time, right moves...

All the wrong reasons. Vaarsuvius would approve. :smallwink:

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 09:45 AM
This thread needs MOAR spooky shadow-cults. That is all.

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 11:14 AM
How many do you need? There are the two feuding races of the snake demon Martuakh; the dark minions of Nathar; the secret orders of the night god Sunya; the rich, privileged nobility secretly worshiping Maqur, Goddess of Treachery...

Will that be enough?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 11:22 AM
*Ahem*

This thread needs MOAR elaboration on at least one of those spooky cults.

Also, moar burna. Alchemists's fire is proving consistently dissapointing.

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 11:28 AM
We do have an alchemist PrC now, you know. :smalltongue:

And which one did you want elaborated upon?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-20, 11:30 AM
THE SECRET ORDERS OF THE NIGHT GOD SUNYA.

I chose it at random

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 11:50 AM
Though Sunya has a fully-fledged church on Najmah, his cult on Siraaj is far more secretive. On both planes, Sunya's clergy are disproportionately skewed towards males, and the hierarchy is patriarchal, favoring those younger, stronger and more virile. On Najmah, they are a preeminent faith among the houris, and deal in secret with the rakshasa to bring the power of night over Siraaj. Among the symbols of Sunya is the blue elder, a plant from which his sacred staves are made.

Sunya's ultimate aim is to breach the boundary between the planes completely, with the scales of power tipped in his favor, and thus bring eternal night and darkness to Siraaj.

vegetalss4
2009-05-20, 02:17 PM
weren't there some kind of superstition about not striking a staff made out of blue wood in the moonlight, or bad things would happen?
Is that in anyway related to Sunya or his cult?

Alteran
2009-05-20, 04:01 PM
Never strike a stick of yew
Against a staff of elder blue
This is the thing you must not do
At night when half moon is in view

That's from the first preview we got. I'd imagine it probably is related to Sunya and/or his cult and/or their staves.

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 04:59 PM
I wonder...

Who's intrigued? I know I am! :smallwink:

Alteran
2009-05-20, 05:13 PM
No you're not! You know the answer already, we are the ones who are intrigued.

Sooo...are we going to get anything on this? Please?

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 05:16 PM
Anything on...?

Ask me your questions, Gatekeeper, I'm not afraid.

Alteran
2009-05-20, 05:51 PM
Is the poem in fact related to the blue elder staves of the cults of Sunya? If it is, what happens when you strike a stick of yew against a staff of elder blue at night when half moon is in view?

lesser_minion
2009-05-20, 05:51 PM
Anything on...?

Ask me your questions, Gatekeeper, I'm not afraid.

What. Is the airspeed velocity of an unladen sparrow?

I'm sorry...

Actually, I think I just earned an anticookie for the wrong reference. Never mind.

It's an interesting premise for a cult, and I quite like the association with blue elder.

afroakuma
2009-05-20, 06:00 PM
Is the poem in fact related to the blue elder staves of the cults of Sunya? If it is, what happens when you strike a stick of yew against a staff of elder blue at night when half moon is in view?

Well, let's examine this.

• The cult of Sunya bear staves of blue elder.

• The cult of Sunya do not appear to have anything to do with yew.

○○○ Might someone else be associated with yew?

• There is a moon that travels between the planes

• This moon would only ever be at half phase once per cycle on each plane

• Once per fixed time period, in other words

○○○ Could this poem refer to some ceremony?

vegetalss4
2009-05-21, 05:14 AM
Afro that was the meaning of our question.well except for the part about some one else being associated with yew, i didn't think of that

Mercenary Pen
2009-05-21, 07:07 AM
Afro that was the meaning of our question.well except for the part about some one else being associated with yew, i didn't think of that

And, indirectly, he has answered it. I think

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 07:13 AM
Well, obviously I'm not going to directly answer such thought-provoking questions. :smallamused:

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 07:19 AM
Yay cult!

Human sacrifice: does anyone do it publically? Are there cities where this is an accepted part of life?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 08:04 AM
Human sacrifice: does anyone do it publically? Are there cities where this is an accepted part of life?

Yup. white text

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 10:34 AM
Will you elaborate upon these blood-soaked cities?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 10:47 AM
Who said they were blood-soaked? It could be a very clean execution.

I mean, it's not; those that are spared are usually made into Nathar's unwilling assassins. And if you resist, Nathar probably kills you.

But hey, it could be.

Any actual questions for me, rather than just asking for single elaboration?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 10:49 AM
Fine - who is Nathar? For that matter, why does anyone bother worshipping evil gods - how do you get around to that line of logic?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 11:08 AM
Fine - who is Nathar?

A demon-god. The demon-god of Murder, to be relatively precise.

For that matter, why does anyone bother worshipping evil gods - how do you get around to that line of logic?

Well, it's pretty much the culture of the she-da-zhong to worship an evil god.

The followers of Nathar have gained great power, wealth and comfort through his teachings, so it's really a great idea for them.

The priesthood of Johoum enjoys asserting dictatorial power through fear over the citizens, and also fears the wrath of the sun god.

Disciples of Maqur enjoy the advancement at the expense of others, the games of betrayal, and the crimes they commit with impunity. They are the idle rich, after all. Ever see Cruel Intentions, or its superior incarnation Dangerous Liaisons? Those characters would likely worship Maqur.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 11:10 AM
Next question - why isn't divine magic hated and feared the way arcane magic is? What about rituals - are they accepted? Generally taboo? Don't get caught doing one in public if you enjoy the use of your hands?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 11:29 AM
Next question - why isn't divine magic hated and feared the way arcane magic is?

Healing.

Good PR.

Public nature, openness and being a function of a cultural cornerstone (most areas follow one of five major monotheistic religions).

The fact that it's perceived as an organized, straightforward and self-regulating thing, in comparison to the unpredictable individuality (and individual whims/desires) that go with arcane magic.

What about rituals - are they accepted? Generally taboo? Don't get caught doing one in public if you enjoy the use of your hands?

Well, let's examine it from a real-world perspective:

Ever see one of those "spellbooks" that are marketed to a certain age of moody teenage girl? "Snare your love, curse your enemies, get good marks" all that sort of thing?

Ever see someone with a lucky horseshoe, coin, four-leaf clover, or just toss a pinch of salt over their left shoulder?

Now, do you react the same way to both?

The world doesn't classify rituals as such - we as players do. To the world, there's a big difference between, say, the pinch of salt thing and cutting yourself along the forearm to bring forth a living spy made of your own blood. Do the first, people go "meh." Do the second, people think you need help. Serious help.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-21, 12:07 PM
Ever see one of those "spellbooks" that are marketed to a certain age of moody teenage girl? "Snare your love, curse your enemies, get good marks" all that sort of thing?

Ever see someone with a lucky horseshoe, coin, four-leaf clover, or just toss a pinch of salt over their left shoulder?

Now, do you react the same way to both?

The world doesn't classify rituals as such - we as players do. To the world, there's a big difference between, say, the pinch of salt thing and cutting yourself along the forearm to bring forth a living spy made of your own blood. Do the first, people go "meh." Do the second, people think you need help. Serious help.

The only thing is, in the world of the Kamala, the second example is actually likely to work. The first example is silly stuff, but the average citizen can't tell the difference. They don't know which superstitions are just folktales, & which ones can really do magic.

As for arcane unpopularity, there's another reason. Every once in a while, some wizard or sorcerer (again, the average citizen can't tell the difference) goes dabbling with planar magic: gate, plane shift, summon monster, & the like. A little dabbling may be harmless, but heavier use of these kinds of spells can destabilize the balance of the planes.

These shenanigans get the attention of Zihaja, who normally would much rather stay as far away from mortal affairs as He can. So He takes the only action that He considers to be safe: He wipes the offending mage from existence, via any means necessary.

The upshot is that one day, the unwary arcane casters of the world die or disappear, always mysteriously. No one knows what happened to them, but a few witnesses here & there claim to see a divine aspect appear, slaughter the mages, & disappear, leaving only broken bodies & an aura of "wrongness". Most people rightly fear & respect the smiting god, & the arcanists stay hidden & steer clear of unwise experiments.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 12:56 PM
Have there been any recent catastrophes (volacnoe erupts, magical cataclysm, Carrot Top makes a movie) to speak of? Holy wars? How common is war among the city-states? What do people fight over most (wealth, water, land, Yo Face)?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 01:02 PM
Have there been any recent catastrophes (volacnoe erupts, magical cataclysm, Carrot Top makes a movie) to speak of?

Depends on what you call "recent." There was one 400 years ago. And another one 399 years ago.

Holy wars?

More than a few. The most recent major one ended with the rise of the last Aspect. Probably within 100 years ago or thereabouts.

How common is war among the city-states?

Depends on which ones. Happens more often in the southeast, virtually never in the northeast, and there's a sort of cold war in the far northwest.

What do people fight over most (wealth, water, land,

Ideals were a very popular one. System of government, religion... very rarely are there land battles; more often the battles are for point control than for actual territory. Water, in the sense of arable riverside land, is a valuable commodity, yes.

Yo Face

Oh, there's something so ironic about this. :smallwink:

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 01:07 PM
I dunno what the irony is *le shrug*

After leaving off of it for two threads - I want some spoilers on the fey, damnit! Zeta confirmed that there are, at least, a bare handful of the things - spill the beans, man!

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 01:13 PM
I dunno what the irony is *le shrug*

I know.

After leaving off of it for two threads - I want some spoilers on the fey, damnit! Zeta confirmed that there are, at least, a bare handful of the things - spill the beans, man!

...you're sure you don't want to go with a better question?

There's only the one.

The peri are erratic miniature fluttering gremlins with little sense and an appetite for to-scale destruction.

Fin.

Also, nymphs, pixies and satyrs go bye-bye.

So that's four fey total.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 01:15 PM
I'm also still waiting on that lore post of a faerie tale :P

In all seriousness - what are some of the more "universal" superstitions? Does the other plane have different effective superstitions - that is to say, would a ritual work in one plane and not in the other?

Can you spill the beans on a "good" aligned god?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 01:22 PM
In all seriousness - what are some of the more "universal" superstitions?

Never strike a-

No? You know that one already?

Well, they believe lots of amusing things about cursing out someone you hate, in private, by whispering your hate to an effigy of them. There's also the tradition of trading absolute mercy for absolute truth - if someone swears to grant you mercy in exchange for your answers, you're not gonna lie to them.

Does the other plane have different effective superstitions - that is to say, would a ritual work in one plane and not in the other?

Most of them work on both, barring a few specific ones. It's not the superstition that gave rise to the ritual, after all - it's the other way around.

Can you spill the beans on a "good" aligned god?

Take your pick:

• Adimas
• Pashati
• Sidaru
• Zaia

There aren't many.

Or was the "good" in quotes to mean "a more conventional deity"?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-21, 01:23 PM
Good was in quotes because the alignment system makes me laugh.

I wish to have a spoiler on:

ZAIA

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 01:28 PM
Good was in quotes because the alignment system makes me laugh.

Yeah, we're not having that debate. :smallannoyed:

I wish to have a spoiler on:

ZAIA

Giant snake.

Next?

Alteran
2009-05-21, 04:21 PM
Pashati?

Message too short, blah blah blah.

Juhn
2009-05-21, 07:55 PM
Sidaru is good-aligned? That's the death god, right?

Also, this:
He wipes the offending mage from existence, via any means necessary. has the potential for all kinds of awesome. Gotta love horrific hubris-spawned fates, even if this one is one we'll likely never see.

I really like this setting.

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 08:16 PM
Sidaru is good-aligned? That's the death god, right?

Yep.

Also, this: has the potential for all kinds of awesome. Gotta love horrific hubris-spawned fates, even if this one is one we'll likely never see.

Indeed; Zihaja largely cut that out after nuking Maqur. It became impractical.

I really like this setting.

Not half as much as I do. It's been really growing on me.

Any questions?

Juhn
2009-05-21, 08:31 PM
Sure. Since you still technically owe me a lorepost on Sidaru (inspiration never hit, IIRC), and people have been asking about Good-aligned dieties, howsabout we hear about Sidaru?

afroakuma
2009-05-21, 08:32 PM
Sidaru? Sure.

Sidaru is the death god widely worshiped in the northwest. One of the first Aspects of Zihaja, Sidaru teaches of law, justice, peace and education. His faith preaches the most accurate version of the afterlife.

Sidaru's domains are most likely to be polytheistic, though there are lines of conflict between the two great lizardfolk cities of the north due to the clash between the authoritarian church of Sidaru and the populist faith of Pashati.

Sidaru is also a major religion on Najmah, among the devas. His faith keeps records and structure, and performs funerary ceremonies.

Juhn
2009-05-21, 10:27 PM
Hmm. Any further info an Sidarite-Pashadite relations? (Also, are there correct terms for those?)

Why yes, I am trying to glean more info about Lizardfolk religious habits.

vegetalss4
2009-05-22, 03:10 AM
will there be many mysteries left in this world for the DM to decide the truth about?
and when you said absolute truth for absolute mercy. is it absolute truth as in, all of the truth, or as in only literally true.
for example would a claim under absolute truth, that "this wont hurt a bit" be acceptable when it will hurt allot?

afroakuma
2009-05-22, 06:06 PM
will there be many mysteries left in this world for the DM to decide the truth about?

Oh, certainly.

and when you said absolute truth for absolute mercy. is it absolute truth as in, all of the truth, or as in only literally true.

Both.

for example would a claim under absolute truth, that "this wont hurt a bit" be acceptable when it will hurt allot?

No.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-22, 06:10 PM

The fabric of the universe does not succumb to semantic arguments. You cannot munchkin your way around the inevitable balance of Zihaja.

vegetalss4
2009-05-23, 11:03 AM
i didn't mean to munchkin, i was just curious.
too clarify, can you or can't you mislead someone by only telling some of the truth, when trading absolute truth for absolute mercy?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-23, 11:25 AM
Ooh! Can we get a lore post about...oooh, a commonly known Faust-style legend?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-23, 11:30 AM
i didn't mean to munchkin, i was just curious.
too clarify, can you or can't you mislead someone by only telling some of the truth, when trading absolute truth for absolute mercy?

You CANNOT. Here's a quote from the ritual:

In exchange for this mercy, you may ask 1d4 simple questions of your foe, which will be answered truthfully to the best of the subject’s ability.

If the ritual is successful, the target is compelled to be truthful. Lying or intending to deceive is just not possible in that specific case. It's a courtesy in exchange for a courtesy, & the fabric of the plane itself recognizes it as such (which is another way of saying "it's magic").

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 01:03 PM
Ooh! Can we get a lore post about...oooh, a commonly known Faust-style legend?

Honestly? When I gave you this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwzNuG5vLY), it was an actual Faustian historical event depicted.

As for Faustian lore... hmm...

It's tricky without the Big Reveal; most deals aren't Faustian, so much as they are forced upon the recipient, or don't involve actual contact with the entity at the other end of the phone.

However... I have one idea...

Vadin
2009-05-23, 01:38 PM
Honestly? When I gave you this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwzNuG5vLY), it was an actual Faustian historical event depicted.

afro...that video is the singular coolest thing I've seen in quite some time. My goodness.

Wow.

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 02:28 PM
Cirque du Soleil. It's awesome in a can.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-23, 02:30 PM
Any new exotic or martial weapons planned? Artifacts? For that matter, are you following the example set by the lameass DMG artifacts?

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 03:17 PM
Any new exotic or martial weapons planned?

Yes.

Artifacts?

Yes.

For that matter, are you following the example set by the lameass DMG artifacts?

No. Zeta tried to make a nuke, but I stopped him. Since there's a spell that does that.

Juhn
2009-05-23, 04:48 PM

I'm still unsure as to what's being depicted there, other than strangeness, but I'll take your word on it.

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 04:50 PM
Well, come on, I just said it was Faustian.

Do you really not see the deal with the devil, so to speak, being made? Do you really not observe the consequences?

Describe what you saw, to me, step by step, and see if it doesn't become clear.

Juhn
2009-05-23, 05:13 PM
Well, I saw the Quidam leave the hat, although she did try to give it back. After that she decided she might as well put it on. After that her parents flew up and much strangeness that was gibberish to me ensued.

afroakuma
2009-05-23, 05:32 PM
Well, I saw the Quidam leave the hat, although she did try to give it back. After that she decided she might as well put it on. After that her parents flew up and much strangeness that was gibberish to me ensued.

Tsk.

Let's go through the chain of events, here:

• She opened the door to the Quidam.

• She was scared of what she saw.

• The Quidam displayed no hostility as it came into her world.

• She becomes curious, and follows it inquisitively.

• The Quidam displays frightening powers of magic.

• The Quidam leaves to its own plane, gifting her with the key to its powers. Though at first she refuses, she is drawn to the offer; she studies it from every angle and sees no flaw.

• However, as she explores the possibilities offered by the Quidam, others of its kind watch from just beyond the veil, yearning to creep into her world.

• She sings to her audience of the wonders she has been offered, convincing herself and them to take up the offer of the Quidam.

• As she accepts the power of the Quidam, the deal is struck. The entities move in and cast their powerful magic, removing all traces of her former life and breaking into her world, stealing the last remnants for themselves.

• However, these colorful entities find others moving in from the dark, shadowy, foggy corners of the world, terrible things that seek to fill the void that has been left.

Juhn
2009-05-24, 12:48 AM
Well, you had previously stated that the Quidam represents an agent of Zihaja, as far as the setting is concerned. Perhaps, then, this is another reason for his non-interference policy? Hmm.

afroakuma
2009-05-24, 09:58 AM
Well, you had previously stated that the Quidam represents an agent of Zihaja, as far as the setting is concerned. Perhaps, then, this is another reason for his non-interference policy? Hmm.

Did I? I do not recall this. It's distinctly incorrect.

Juhn
2009-05-24, 03:16 PM
Oh, apparently I read it wrong. You actually said "emissary of Najmah."

afroakuma
2009-05-25, 12:11 PM
Which would be far more correct.

Juhn
2009-05-25, 10:38 PM
I think it was the use of the word "emissary", which effectively means representative, combined with Zihaja's habit of never appearing in person that threw me. That, and every time I read Najmah, I read it as "Namjah", and when I make that mistake Najmah and Zihaja both end in the same syllable and end up sounding rather similar.

Anyway. Najmah sends emissaries now?

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 07:47 AM
Anyway. Najmah sends emissaries now?

:smallsigh: Clearly, this isn't going to work. I give up. This is taking too much effort to explain in cryptic fashion.

Juhn
2009-05-26, 02:16 PM
...I just thought I was asking a simple question about inter-planar relations, but okay.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 02:21 PM
It was a descriptive bit. No, there are no "planar emissaries."

You know what? Screw it. Quidam's a genie. End of story.

Juhn
2009-05-26, 02:30 PM
Ah, okay. Cool.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 02:39 PM
Any questions that do not pertain to that?

shaddy_24
2009-05-26, 02:57 PM
What sort of items can an alchemist make? For example, potions, poisons, alchemist's fire, acid, explosives, other?

Also (this may just be because I've been reading too much of Steven Erikson's works), would it be possible for the alchemist to fix some of his more volitile mixtures to crossbow bolts and launch them at opponants? Shooting exploding bolts at enemies seems like so much fun.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 02:58 PM
What sort of items can an alchemist make? For example, potions, poisons, alchemist's fire, acid, explosives, other?

Sounds about right. Also some powders and pastes.

Also (this may just be because I've been reading too much of Steven Erikson's works), would it be possible for the alchemist to fix some of his more volitile mixtures to crossbow bolts and launch them at opponants? Shooting exploding bolts at enemies seems like so much fun.

I don't see why not.

Juhn
2009-05-26, 03:18 PM
Hrm. Now you've got me curious about genies. We've heard a bit about Marids, but nothing much about the other three types that I can recall.

Any info you feel like divulging about, say, Efreeti? Dao?

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 03:19 PM
Hrm. Now you've got me curious about genies. We've heard a bit about Marids, but nothing much about the other three types that I can recall.

Any info you feel like divulging about, say, Efreeti? Dao?

Such as what, exactly?

Juhn
2009-05-26, 03:28 PM
I dunno, general information. Cultural, perhaps, or how they feel about travelers (as that's probably going to come up more than other info during an actual campaign). Or were they among the ones that headed to Siraaj?

I just don't know very much about genies in this setting, other than apparently Efreeti glassblowers exist and IIRC the dao have a particular predeliction toward enslaving their fellows.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 03:39 PM
Frankly: I got nothin'.

Straight up.

I have literally nothing written on the genies of Siraaj. Nada.

Their cultures don't matter because they no longer have any, with the exception of the marids.

how they feel about travelers

I don't even know how to answer this question. I don't know what you're looking for.

Let's do it this way: tell me, in no uncertain terms, exactly what you want me to answer. Those old-fashioned long-style question lists? Best way for you and me both.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-26, 04:30 PM
Are there currently any plans for giant, man-eating desert worms?

What are some Lizardfolk funeral rites? Kobold?

Any information on the part-genies (the Sabi, if I remember the name right), either mechanically or flavorfully?

Exactly how sentient ARE the Aspects? Are they aware of their own questionable reality?

Are there any formal academic organizations of particular note? How well-recieved is the Zihaja thesis in learned circles?

What is the single-most valued substance in the setting?

I think Juhn might have been asking if there was a stigma against planar travellers on Namaaj, but I also think we may have covered that territory before.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 04:47 PM
Are there currently any plans for giant, man-eating desert worms?

I've answered this before. There are worms. These worms are purple. Fin.

What are some Lizardfolk funeral rites?

In the north, they follow the Church of Sidaru's traditions (even the Pashati worshipers). This involves raising the body of the deceased to a high place and having no fewer than four persons guard it, looking away from it and down towards the ground, for no less than one day. After this, they engrave a tablet with the deceased's name or symbol and drop it in a lake or the ocean. The body is dispensed of according to the determination of the head of family or community; usually in accord with the will of the deceased. This may include burial at sea, cremation, burial in the earth, wind funeral or cannibalism, though the last has fallen out of favor in many communities for a variety of reasons.

Kobold?

Depends who they worship/where they live.

Any information on the part-genies (the Sabi, if I remember the name right), either mechanically or flavorfully?

Well, we have the mechanics done. Flavor-wise, what are you looking for?

Exactly how sentient ARE the Aspects? Are they aware of their own questionable reality?

Well, that's an interesting philosophical question, especially since three of them are still alive and one of them never was.

Generally speaking, they are pseudo-aware, enough to have discernible opinions, moods and at times, strict dogma.

Are there any formal academic organizations of particular note?

Yes.

How well-recieved is the Zihaja thesis in learned circles?

We 'ave found a witch, may we burn 'er? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g)

What is the single-most valued substance in the setting?

Zeta and Shadow refuse to debate this with me. So I really couldn't tell you. We don't know what the currency is yet. And I am this close to just saying "screw it" and sticking with GP for the ease.

I think Juhn might have been asking if there was a stigma against planar travellers on Namaaj, but I also think we may have covered that territory before.

Odd, since there aren't too many genies on Najmah.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-26, 04:52 PM
Well, we have the mechanics done. Flavor-wise, what are you looking for?

General trends, stereotypes, ways they might tend to act (like how Fire Genasi have ADHD), that kinda deal.

Zeta and Shadow refuse to debate this with me. So I really couldn't tell you. We don't know what the currency is yet. And I am this close to just saying "screw it" and sticking with GP for the ease.

I wasn't referring to the currency. For example, Mithril (in other settings) is worth far more than gold.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 05:19 PM
General trends

Yes, because when I'm mining for specific questions, this is what I want to see. :smallannoyed:

stereotypes

See, there's the thing: people don't know. The population at large doesn't know of these "races" enough to stereotype them.

ways they might tend to act (like how Fire Genasi have ADHD)

Fire sabi are hotheaded and arrogant.

Water sabi have a selfish streak and can be condescending.

Air sabi are enthusiastic and artistic.

Earth sabi are sedate, spartan and overbearing.

I wasn't referring to the currency. For example, Mithril (in other settings) is worth far more than gold.

Well, I don't know the answer to that question either. Mainly because I don't know what the most valuable thing in regular D&D is supposed to be. Is it diamonds? Rubies? Mithril? Adamantium? I don't know.

Zeta Kai
2009-05-26, 06:02 PM

The problem with that sort of thing is when you explicitly state in a campaign setting "this is the most valuable thing here," people tend to fixate on that item/substance. This narrows the focus of the setting, making it look smaller than it really is & marginalizing aspects of the setting that have nothing to do with it. Like the thing about sand worms, we are not make a Dune D20 (a great idea, but not what we're into). You will probably not find anything like Melange here for various factions to war over. There are many great & terrible treasures to be found in our world, but no one single item or substance is likely to dominate the economic landscape.

Juhn
2009-05-26, 07:07 PM
Frankly: I got nothin'.

Alright then. I'd just forgotten about this:
Their cultures don't matter because they no longer have any

I'd forgotten most of the whole "chased out of Najmah" business, and am still used to genies with long and storied histories accompanied by illustrious cultures. Of course, if these things don't exist, I can see how it'd be hard to tell about them.

Also, re: cannibalism: I wouldn't want to eat a corpse after it had been sitting in the desert sun for a full day either, if I was a cannibal.

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 07:09 PM
Is there anything else you'd like to inquire about? You just received lizardfolk funerary rites.

Juhn
2009-05-26, 07:10 PM
Edited as a minor comment, though I'll add more when I think of stuff.

And here we go:

Some of the aspects are still alive? What do they think of their "divinity"? And I suddenly find myself intensely curious about what exactly goes into the experience of being subsumed by Zihaja while still alive.

Thane of Fife
2009-05-26, 07:17 PM
Here's something:

If you were to name the three individuals who have influenced the world the most, who would they be? And, if possible, what did they do?

afroakuma
2009-05-26, 07:42 PM
Some of the aspects are still alive?

Three.

What do they think of their "divinity"?

One of them is used to it, has to live with it constantly and can deal with it; he does his job, and the fact that he's venerated makes it easier.

The second got bored of being a living goddess and hid herself away in an underground palace. She's occasionally amused when she sees snippets of "her" dogma.

The third is intensely furious, since he was the source of that divine power until Zihaja knocked him down, locked him up and threw away the key.

And I suddenly find myself intensely curious about what exactly goes into the experience of being subsumed by Zihaja while still alive.

In one case it involved being trapped forever, and in one case it involved being killed.

Here's something:

If you were to name the three individuals who have influenced the world the most, who would they be? And, if possible, what did they do?

Hoo boy...

Huh...

Well, let me see. So far as the setting is currently at...

• Dermanaske, who sold an empire for paradise and changed the course of two worlds' histories.
• Ras Shasad, an ageless druidess who in her youth helped end the Ten Dark Years.
• I have no idea.

Athaniar
2009-05-27, 04:44 AM
• Dermanaske, who sold an empire for paradise and changed the course of two worlds' histories.
• Ras Shasad, an ageless druidess who in her youth helped end the Ten Dark Years.

Ooh, interesting. You have anything more on them? Race? Class? Is any of them still alive (the second one probably is, seeing as you described her as ageless)?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-27, 06:36 AM
Other important historical figures include:

Amir Jathi
King-Priest Manas
Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II

And Ras Shasad is a Lizardwoman Druid 17/Master of the Wastes 10, & possibly the most powerful mortal creature on either world.

Athaniar
2009-05-27, 10:19 AM
Other important historical figures include:

Pharaoh Ak-Khyriash II

The Satyr Lord is satisfied.

And Ras Shasad is a Lizardwoman Druid 17/Master of the Wastes 10, & possibly the most powerful mortal creature on either world.
Already an interesting character.

Juhn
2009-05-27, 12:42 PM
At level 37? I should hope so.

Here's hoping she's not evil-aligned.

afroakuma
2009-05-27, 02:17 PM
That's 27, you.

vegetalss4
2009-05-28, 01:29 AM
Ooh the ten dark years.
is that some kind of catastrophe?
involving undead?
demons?
Ghuls?
spirits of literal darkness?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-28, 05:14 AM
Think nuclear winter. Ten years of gloomy days can wreak havoc on your garden. It's been centuries, & the world is still mostly deserts & grassland. The old woods are gone, & mostly forgotten.

Juhn
2009-05-28, 01:34 PM
That's 27, you.

Ah, I seem to have misread her level. I was sitting there going "I know dieties with a lower CR than this".

Hyozo
2009-05-28, 11:20 PM
I have just finished reading through the three VUACS threads. Wow! I wish I had heard about this when it was just starting. I don't have any questions at the moment,but I will say that I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Juhn
2009-05-29, 12:17 AM
Hey, welcome! And congratulations on making it through all those pages.

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 12:24 AM
Wait...this isn't done yet?!?

Work harder,SLAVES!!! *Encouragement Whip'd*

afroakuma
2009-05-29, 07:13 AM

Work harder,SLAVES!!! *Encouragement Whip'd*

Progress: 82%

There's the pot calling the kettle black.

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 09:04 AM
There's the pot calling the kettle black.
Sorry, what's that? (Yeah, I'm just going for absurdity at this point)
Granted, I need at least two encouragement whips.

Llama231
2009-05-29, 09:05 AM

Work harder,SLAVES!!! *Encouragement Salmon Whip'd*

Fixed the post.

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 09:06 AM
Fixed the post.Aaaaaaand, I'll make like a baby and head out *runs like hell*

Zeta Kai
2009-05-29, 09:11 AM
Aw, snap. Llama used the S-word! Beware the POWER.

<ducks & covers>

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 09:12 AM
Aw, snap. Llama used the S-word! Beware the POWER.

<ducks & covers>Hold me, Zeta. I'm scared :eek:

afroakuma
2009-05-29, 09:27 AM
*arrived*

What did I hear?

What did you say?

The POWER is now thinking that instead of having you "head out," instead

Your head cut off.

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 12:30 PM
*Warily emerges from fall-out shelter*
I was expecting something akin to a nuclear holocaust, so I think we all got off easy.

Any chance we could get a snazzy progress bar from youse guyses' progress?

Zeta Kai
2009-05-29, 12:52 PM
*Warily emerges from fall-out shelter*
I was expecting something akin to a nuclear holocaust, so I think we all got off easy.

Shh, shh, it's okay Lappy. It's okay now. The storm has past. <lets go of Lappy's hand> Now let's check the windows & clear the yard. <leaves the shelter>

Any chance we could get a snazzy progress bar from youse guyses' progress?

1) Where'd you get it?

2) How'd you set it?

3) How done are we? For this one, I'll be doing a project assessment after Afro & I finish rituals/spells/magic items. I'm hoping that we are ~80% complete.

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 01:10 PM
Shh, shh, it's okay Lappy. It's okay now. The storm has past. <lets go of Lappy's hand> Now let's check the windows & clear the yard. <leaves the shelter>?Is was so scared....

1) Where'd you get it?

2) How'd you set it?You mean the thing in my sig? It's the ever-so complex process of typing a bunch of ||||||| and color coding them accordingly :smallbiggrin:

Progress: 100%
||||||||||||||||||||

Progress: 100%
||||||||||||||||||||

afroakuma
2009-05-29, 05:03 PM
*descends from on high*

You've been given a slight reprieve. But know that I watch always, unless I am away or if I forget.

:annoyed:

Lappy9000
2009-05-29, 05:28 PM
Thank ye, almighty afro'd one. We humbly bow before your POWER.

(And about 80%? Great work! Keep on truckin' :smallcool:)

LordZarth
2009-05-29, 06:38 PM
Ten Dark Years? Lack of sun? Does this have something to do with the pwning and subsumation of Johoum?

afroakuma
2009-05-29, 07:21 PM
Neither nor.

Thane of Fife
2009-05-30, 03:13 PM
Ten Dark Years? Lack of sun? Does this have something to do with the pwning and subsumation of Johoum?

I'm fairly confident that it was the fault of a spelljamming ship, 23 giff, four pink fish, and a timekeeping device.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose there are any giff in this world? Hippopotamus people seem oddly suitable to a desert plane.

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 03:47 PM
I'm fairly confident that it was the fault of a spelljamming ship, 23 giff, four pink fish, and a timekeeping device.

No, that would be the ten dark years of the GitP homebrew board.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose there are any giff in this world? Hippopotamus people seem oddly suitable to a desert plane.

Not a chance in Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell or Hell.

Lappy9000
2009-05-30, 04:01 PM
Not a chance in Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell, Hell or Hell.I about fell out of my chair :smallbiggrin:

At least you weren't going for the Abyss. That may take a while.

I'm gonna sig that, if'n you don't mind.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 04:06 PM
Think you could release a teaser on one of the artifacts - say, a legend about it?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 04:12 PM
I about fell out of my chair :smallbiggrin:

At least you weren't going for the Abyss. That may take a while.

I'm gonna sig that, if'n you don't mind.

By all means! :smallbiggrin:

(I thought the exact same thing.)

Think you could release a teaser on one of the artifacts - say, a legend about it?

Nope. Don't have time to do a full Lore post, only individual answers. Lay siege to me with questions!

I can give you a name, though... Colossus of the Ral Zadi

Lappy9000
2009-05-30, 05:46 PM
I can give you a name, though... Colossus of the Ral Zadihttp://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/RalZadi.gif.....?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 05:49 PM
I seem taller somehow. This does not displease me.

lesser_minion
2009-05-30, 06:35 PM
OK, so why do certain breeds of fish which are farmed in Scotland inflame the wrath of the wielder of the first derivative with respect to time of work done?

Is this the same thing as mentioning things which track the passing of time using sand?

And didn't we remove afro's access to sharp objects?

Lappy9000
2009-05-30, 06:43 PM
OK, so why do certain breeds of fish which are farmed in Scotland inflame the wrath of the wielder of the first derivative with respect to time of work done?

Is this the same thing as mentioning the {first word of the setting name}?Sheer annoyance from people constantly asking about pretty much pointless aspects of the world (Ex: Fish? Are there fish in the world? What kind of fish? Where do the fish live? Do the fish have feelings? What kind of ice cream do the fish like? Is there ice cream....? etc. etc.)

Granted, this included myself in the first thread; but I learned my lesson. Sure, it took a nuclear explosion, but I learned.

And didn't we remove afro's access to sharp objects? Like he needs them. That afro holds more power than a thousand suns.

lesser_minion
2009-05-30, 06:50 PM
Sheer annoyance from people constantly asking about pretty much pointless aspects of the world (Ex: Fish? Are there fish in the world? What kind of fish? Where do the fish live? Do the fish have feelings? What kind of ice cream do the fish like? Is there ice cream....? etc. etc.)

Granted, this included myself in the first thread; but I learned my lesson. Sure, it took a nuclear explosion, but I learned.

So what was the [mode of transportation] then?

Like he needs them. That afro holds more power than a thousand suns.

Pseudonatural Paragon Vampiric Fiendish tarrasques have come for thee... (and they demand ice cream)

Lappy9000
2009-05-30, 06:56 PM
So what was the [mode of transportation] then?You've got me there. I'm sure one of the build team will tell you.

Pseudonatural Paragon Vampiric Fiendish tarrasques have come for thee... (and they demand ice cream)That's what I get for using words. (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/power?qsrc=2889)

May I be pedantic here and point out that one cannot store the first derivative of work done with respect to time, regardless of whether or not one has an afro? Allow me to respond to that question with another question: ...what?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 06:59 PM
So what was the [mode of transportation] then?

Spelljammer. People decided that space travel was big in 1001 Arabian Nights and I had to kill correct kill them.

May I be pedantic here and point out that one cannot store the first derivative of work done with respect to time, regardless of whether or not one has an afro?

Who says I store it? I merely output it constantly, and at such amounts that it approaches near-infinite levels. No, good sir, what I store is pure awesome.

lesser_minion
2009-05-30, 07:03 PM
@Lappy - I'm just avoiding the word for [first derivative of work with respect to time] for a bit, that's all.

It gets overused far more than any of the other words.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 10:22 PM
And now I bombard Afro with questions about the artifact:

Was it inspired by the Collossus of Rhodes? What is it made out of? What civilization built it? Does it, like an Instant Fortress, have a portable form? Will it, indeed, smack a ho?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 10:25 PM
And now I bombard Afro with questions about the artifact:

Should have known. I was hoping for questions about something other than the artifact. :smallsigh:

Was it inspired by the Collossus of Rhodes?

Probably; it wasn't my design.

What is it made out of?

Stone.

What civilization built it?

That would logically require you to recognize the answer, which as far as I'm aware is currently not possible.

Does it, like an Instant Fortress, have a portable form?

Nope. Well, technically... :)

Will it, indeed, smack a ho?

:smallconfused: I don't follow.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 10:34 PM
Basically will it, under proper circumstances, smack/hit/curb stomp beings?

- Were any parts of this setting inspired by the works of Neil Gaiman?

- Are there any churches who worship "beings" that they claim ascended to divinity FROM mortality?

- Is the above possible (that is, becoming "divine")?

- What was the divine landscape like before Zihaja?

- Are there any particular churches or aspects that Zihaja doesn't like?

- What is Zihaja's opinion of the Zihaja thesis (not caring is an opinion)? How would he react if someone "discovered" him? Woshipped him?

- Is necromancy automatically evil in this setting? From whence does the energy come? For that matter, where's the positive energy flowing from?

- Do wizards and sorcerers have a significant rivalry? Do they cooperate out of mutual survival?

- How do people tell the difference between a Fighter using a Ritual and a wizard casting, say, contingency?

- How common is the power to bring back the dead? How is it viewed (for example, on Faerun, it's a commodity)?

- What are some of the major industries, worldwide?

- What are genie views on death? Are they more afraid of it, given their normal state of immortality?

- Who are current major figures in world politics during the timeframe of the setting (that is, when most campaigns will take place)?

- Aside from Ghuls, are any sentient races universally hated and feared? If so, why?

- Aside from celestials, are any sentient races universally loved and adored? If so, why?

- Does your milkshake bring all the boys to the yard?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 10:47 PM
Basically will it, under proper circumstances, smack/hit/curb stomp beings?

Oh, quite likely.

- Were any parts of this setting inspired by the works of Neil Gaiman?

Second time I've had that question.

From my angle, no; the few works I've read would be incompatible with the setting. Zeta Kai, I understand, has read more of Mr. Gaiman's work, including the particular work that likely draws you to ask this question, and I cannot speak for his influences.

- Are there any churches who worship "beings" that they claim ascended to divinity FROM mortality?

Yup. Church of Qirus.

- Is the above possible (that is, becoming "divine")?

You have quotes there. I'm not sure how I should interpret this.

- What was the divine landscape like before Zihaja?

:smallconfused: Before Zihaja??? Or do you mean, before he had that name?

- Are there any particular churches or aspects that Zihaja doesn't like?

He's completely impartial with regards to the Aspects. He loathes the cults of Nathar and Martuakh.

- What is Zihaja's opinion of the Zihaja thesis (not caring is an opinion)? How would he react if someone "discovered" him? Woshipped him?

People keep trying to play this angle. I tell you, it is simply not possible. The Zihaja thesis is based on archaeological records that hint at the oldest times, when he was worshiped. He doesn't care at all what you know or don't know, and veneration of Zihaja would be an exercise in pointlessness.

Now, if by "discovered" you mean they actually got to his palace, that's a different story. Insanely difficult to do, as well.

- Is necromancy automatically evil in this setting? From whence does the energy come? For that matter, where's the positive energy flowing from?

It depends what kind of necromancy we're talking about. Negative and positive energy arise from... well, they're tied to the planes, and mediated by two demigods. I'll leave it at that for now. :smallwink:

- Do wizards and sorcerers have a significant rivalry? Do they cooperate out of mutual survival?

Rivalry - often. Cooperation - virtually never. It's a completely different experience, and this will be reflected in the fluff and in the crunch.

- How do people tell the difference between a Fighter using a Ritual and a wizard casting, say, contingency?

Well, really, you pulled one of the few spells with no visual manifestation. Ask again, and make it work.

- How common is the power to bring back the dead? How is it viewed (for example, on Faerun, it's a commodity)?

I assume we're referring to raise and resurrect, not animate?

Pretty rare. And it's not easy to do. There are few clerics that can accomplish it, there are few components available to let it be done and there are difficulties in the actual procedure itself, largely as a result of the structure of the afterlife. True resurrection still produces the best results, and with the most consistency.

- What are some of the major industries, worldwide?

Trade, agriculture, textile, leather, wood, glass, construction, entertainment...

- What are genie views on death? Are they more afraid of it, given their normal state of immortality?

They have legends of the old time, and a fair understanding of the way their own deaths work.

- Aside from Ghuls, are any sentient races universally hated and feared? If so, why?

She-Da-Zhong, for being evil snakes.

Shaghal, for being evil, powerful and scary as sin.

Devils and demons, and I doubt that requires explanation.

- Aside from celestials, are any sentient races universally loved and adored? If so, why?

Who said celestials were?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 10:53 PM
You have quotes there. I'm not sure how I should interpret this.

I figured that if Zihaja was the only true god, the quotes belonged there. My badness. Basically asking if mortal -> diety is a possible transition.

:smallconfused: Before Zihaja??? Or do you mean, before he had that name?

Sorry, I was under the impression that the other gods were lollygagging around when the Big Z showed up and kicked their asses.

He's completely impartial with regards to the Aspects. He loathes the cults of Nathar and Martuakh.

Why?

People keep trying to play this angle. I tell you, it is simply not possible. The Zihaja thesis is based on archaeological records that hint at the oldest times, when he was worshiped. He doesn't care at all what you know or don't know, and veneration of Zihaja would be an exercise in pointlessness.

See, there's an answer; he doesn't care if people know he exists.

Now, if by "discovered" you mean they actually got to his palace, that's a different story. Insanely difficult to do, as well.

Oooh, he has a palace? Intriguing. Would he be more A. angry or B. curious about potential visitors (given that even epic level characters are unlikely to threaten an omnipotent being)?

Well, really, you pulled one of the few spells with no visual manifestation. Ask again, and make it work.

Fine - how does Bob the Badly Named Villager tell the difference between a fighter performing a ritual and a wizard casting a spell?

Who said celestials were?

Umm...monster manual fluff? Hell, the BoED has the SIGHT of a Trumpet Archon, ONCE, change a man's life forever. And ever. And ever.

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:02 PM
I figured that if Zihaja was the only true god, the quotes belonged there. My badness. Basically asking if mortal -> diety is a possible transition.

Yep.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the other gods were lollygagging around then the Big Z showed up and kicked their asses.

Nope.

Why?

Can't smash them and make Aspects out of them. Doesn't appreciate the contestation of false gods, and really doesn't appreciate demons.

See, there's an answer; he doesn't care if people know he exists.

You're looking for an answer where one isn't. He doesn't know if people know he exists. It's simply so irrelevant a thing that he wouldn't perceive it. He's like Ao the Overgod... you don't gain a thing from worshiping him, nor would you be likely to do such a thing in the first place. It's like worshiping Wadjet because you wrote a dissertation on an Egyptian archaeological piece.

Oooh, he has a palace? Intriguing. Would he be more A. angry or B. curious about potential visitors (given that even epic level characters are unlikely to threaten an omnipotent being)?

That is up to the individual DM. We'll leave a couple of suggestions, since it is possible (although extraordinarily difficult; you have to be Colossal, for starters).

Fine - how does Bob the Badly Named Villager tell the difference between a fighter performing a ritual and a wizard casting a spell?

The same way we tell the difference between a basketball player tying his shoes in juuuust the right way and David Copperfield.

Umm...monster manual fluff? Hell, the BoED has the SIGHT of a Trumpet Archon, ONCE, change a man's life forever. And ever. And ever.

Archons are a pretty rare sight, though. And people aren't very familiar with them. Also, this setting does not acknowledge your "BoED"

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 11:08 PM
...Why do you have to be Collossal to enter his palace? Did he bother making gates that are A. that huge and B. that enchanted??

- How ARE celestials viewed if they aren't universally loved?

- Why hasn't Zihaja smote the false gods?

- HOW, roughly, did the current divine landscape evolve? Begin at the beginning, please; I'm pretty damn confused at this point.

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:13 PM
...Why do you have to be Collossal to enter his palace? Did he bother making gates that are A. that huge and B. that enchanted??

You need a staircase that big. Otherwise it doesn't reach. You don't need to be naturally Colossal, but whoever conjures the stairs needs to be that size at the time. And that's just the first step.

- How ARE celestials viewed if they aren't universally loved?

As legends. Archons and angels are incredibly rare.

- Why hasn't Zihaja smote the false gods?

After he smote Maqur, Martuakh sprung up immediately to fill the void left by her passing. Zihaja realized that he couldn't keep just stamping it down, and that he had in fact exacerbated the problem by removing a relatively minor power and having a demon cult spring up in her place.

- HOW, roughly, did the current divine landscape evolve? Begin at the beginning, please; I'm pretty damn confused at this point.

That's pretty high on the nondisclosure list... what exactly are you looking for?

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 11:16 PM
Well, let's see:

- Who created the world, and more importantly, why did they bother? In the D&D 'verses, creating planes is a pretty heavy power investment, not to be taken lightly.

- How did the Aspects come into being? Why'd Zihaja bother?

- (This is the big one) If Zihaja is, as you have previously stated, omnipotent, how is it that ANY force on his created planes is stymying him?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:24 PM
Well, let's see:

- Who created the world, and more importantly, why did they bother?

Zihaja did, for a reason that is number one on the nondisclosure list.

In the D&D 'verses, creating planes is a pretty heavy power investment, not to be taken lightly.

Turning them sideways to create a shell that makes extraplanar travel near-impossible and warps the connections with the Astral Plane, Plane of Shadow and Ethereal Plane is an even greater power investment.

- How did the Aspects come into being? Why'd Zihaja bother?

Zihaja needs to maintain a certain balance, and the division and allocation of divine power and veneration is a big part of that. When anything challenges that balance, as long as its removal or annexation would be less unbalancing than letting it remain intact, Zihaja takes action against it.

In the case of Maqur, she was being an unbalancing pain in the butt, and therefore posing a great risk to Zihaja's creation. However, smiting her left a power vacuum that was filled by an even more unbalancing figure, and Zihaja is rightly concerned that continued smiting will tip the scales in the other direction.

- (This is the big one) If Zihaja is, as you have previously stated, omnipotent, how is it that ANY force on his created planes is stymying him?

This is a two-parter, and skirts very close to some serious nondisclosure stuff.

A) There are forces on the twin planes that he did not introduce and that currently act against each other in a very careful equilibrium.

B) There are forces on the twin planes that he will not act against. Yes, there is a reason.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 11:26 PM
So would you describe Zihaja as omnipotent only in regards to his own creation, then?

With regards to the staircase problem: I can has fly nao?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:30 PM
So would you describe Zihaja as omnipotent only in regards to his own creation, then?

Oh, heavens no. He wrapped planes around one another, for pity's sake. He is literally on par with Ao, the Highgod etc. in terms of presence and power. The problem is that there is a particular thing that he will not do, and would be forced to either do it or compromise his creation should things fall out of balance.

And you wonder why the poor guy has Aspects; maybe it's so he can play some lesser bit of himself and not worry about the bigger picture all the time.

With regards to the staircase problem: I can has fly nao?

Not until you has stairs of Madrasah.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 11:41 PM
- What does Zihaja do with fledgling gods (such as the aforementioned mortal becoming divine)? Does he even care that such a thing can occur?

- Did Zihaja create life on the planes, or did other beings (such as his Aspects) or random chance do it?

- If wizard = bad, what's the public opinion on enchanted items? Potions?

afroakuma
2009-05-30, 11:47 PM
You seem to be looking for contradictions. I wonder why. :smalltongue:

- What does Zihaja do with fledgling gods (such as the aforementioned mortal becoming divine)? Does he even care that such a thing can occur?

Usually nothing. It depends on how much power they can gather to themselves and how much of a nuisance they are on the balance. You're pretty unlikely to gain so much power that you could stroll into his backyard, for example.

- Did Zihaja create life on the planes, or did other beings (such as his Aspects) or random chance do it?

Zihaja created the sentient mortal races and the houris.

- If wizard = bad, what's the public opinion on enchanted items? Potions?

They're the stuff of legend, but most people would love one, just as in the tales. Who wouldn't want a flying carpet?

Let me reiterate this so it comes across loud, clear and as blatant as I can possibly make it: nobody likes wizards because they're creepy nerds and thieves.

Lord_Gareth
2009-05-30, 11:52 PM
Houris? The heck are those?