PDA

View Full Version : How to get "popular" on Giantitp???

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Vizen
2009-07-20, 05:55 AM
While that is quite good Rutskarn, I have heard one which I think is slightly better, albeit with a bit less buildup.

So, there is a box of cheerios (you know, like the cereal). Now, it's a big box, and down at the bottom of the box it's really slummy. All the cheerios are kind of low class, and uninteresting, whereas up at the top it's really fancy, and there's great food and great parties.

Now, there's a cheerio hanging out down at the bottom of the box at a really crappy party. He eventually decides that it really isn't worth it: he's going to make his way up to the top of the box and go to a party there. So he makes the long trek up to the top.

He finds a party at a fancy club, but there's a huge line to get in. So, he waits in the line, and it takes forever, but eventually he manages to get in, right as he's about to give up.

Inside the party the music is great, and it's just such a better atmosphere. And this hot cheerio walks over to him, and asks him to dance. So he begins to head for the dance floor but she stops him. "No, you can't just go on there. You need to wait in the line." So he sighs, and goes with her to wait in the line. And it's a very long line, but eventually, when he's about to give up and go sit down somewhere, they get in, and dance and dance. And they're both wonderful dancers, and he has a great time, and after a long time dancing they get off the dance floor.

Now, the two of them are starting to get pretty hungry, so he asks her, "hey, is there any food around here?" And she replies, "yeah, it's right over there," pointing to a table covered with the most delicious looking snacks and expensive candies and all the best food you can think of. But when he moves towards it, she stops him again: "No, we have to go wait in the line." And so they go and they wait in the line. And it takes so long that he's about to leave and just go somewhere else and eat because he's worried he's going to starve, but then they get there, and they eat, and the food is amazing.

As they leave, he's starting to feel pretty thirsty. So he looks around, and turns to her, and asks "Hey, is there anything to drink? Punch, maybe? Where's the line for that?" And she looks at him, confused, and says,
"What are you talking about? There is no punch line."

This is only if you really want a joke people will beat you up for!

I thoroughly enjoyed that joke. :smallbiggrin:

PhoeKun
2009-07-20, 06:12 AM
Blegh, I remember when there was only The Town. >.>

And I remember when there wasn't even that. Nya-ha!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 06:27 AM
Damnit, I just got out...olded? by Phoe.

:smalltongue:

billtodamax
2009-07-20, 06:29 AM
Well, I remember when... wait, I've only been on this site for like half a year. Nevermind!

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-20, 07:09 AM
Huh. The Town looks very cool but... slightly intimidating to dive into. Hmm... luckily, there seems to be a handy-dandy guide to how to not make an instant ass of oneself. Holy crap - it's like half the board plays there. I've been missing out for two flippin' years! :smalleek:

Quincunx
2009-07-20, 08:00 AM
And I remember when there wasn't even that. Nya-ha!

And I remember when you were happier! Nya-ha-ha!

. . .wait, that's not a good thing to be 'in the past'.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 08:05 AM
Huh. The Town looks very cool but... slightly intimidating to dive into. Hmm... luckily, there seems to be a handy-dandy guide to how to not make an instant ass of oneself. Holy crap - it's like half the board plays there. I've been missing out for two flippin' years! :smalleek:
Well I'm not a part of ''half the board'' >.>
Only on Trog's talkshow...>.>
I <3 Trog's talkshow.

banjo1985
2009-07-20, 08:07 AM
Being rather silly helps I've always found :smalltongue:

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 09:06 AM
:smallsigh: Yes, banjo, we've noticed... [/fun]

Yeah, silly is a big deal.
Just don't be too silly, people might think you're a retard.

@Em:

Me and my pet Billy the invisible pocket whale think that your selection of jokes are funny and creepy to understand.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-20, 09:18 AM
Being rather silly helps I've always found :smalltongue:

Well, silly works for some...others have to be pretty willing to debase themselves for the amusement of others.

Not that I'm talking from experience, or anything...

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 09:26 AM
Of course not.:smallwink:

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 09:58 AM
Yeah, honestly aside from being yourself and jumping into conversations whenever possible, the big thing, IMHO, is to post.

Not posting seems to work for me...

Oh wait. Crap.

Eon
2009-07-20, 10:04 AM
:smallsigh: Yes, banjo, we've noticed... [/fun]

Yeah, silly is a big deal.

@Em:

Me and my pet Billy the invisible pocket whale think that your selection of jokes are funny and creepy to understand.

now... am I silly, or too silly?

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 10:11 AM
Billy says you're silly.

Recaiden
2009-07-20, 10:13 AM
Not posting seems to work for me...

Oh wait. Crap.

What do you mean? It has. And your avatar should be 114x102.

lord of kobolds
2009-07-20, 10:26 AM
No it's not. The Route you took was being awesome.

That too. That definitely played a part in it.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 10:31 AM
What do you mean? It has. And your avatar should be 114x102.

Thankies, because my avatar needs a lot, and that was one of them. :smallwink:

I'll make myself another one soonish, probably when I need an excuse to procrastinate on studying.

Charity
2009-07-20, 10:43 AM

not using this sort of that word in the derogatory sense will make you much more popular with me.

Damnit, I just got out...olded? by Phoe.

Pah a wippersnapper is Phoe.:smalltongue:

Try piggybacking on someone elses popularity always a winning formula, you can't have Thes, she can't carry us both...

Recaiden
2009-07-20, 10:45 AM
Try piggybacking on someone elses popularity always a winning formula, you can't have Thes, she can't carry us both...

What? I have never, ever thought of you in connection with Thes. She's popular only for herself. IMO, anyway.

KuReshtin
2009-07-20, 10:47 AM

Charity is a really cool guy, and we hang out all the time*. He also is really good at Nuke Wars.
*Well, not ALL the time, more like I've met him twice.

Eon
2009-07-20, 10:51 AM
Billy says you're silly.

Yeah! I'm normal silly!

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 11:05 AM
Nah, you're billy.

Jibar
2009-07-20, 11:32 AM
Pah a wippersnapper is Phoe.:smalltongue:

I can remember before Charity joined. :smalltongue:

I hope Alarra doesn't show up...

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 11:40 AM
Charity and I are really the same person.

I just don't get busted by the mods, because I was successful in splitting myself in two. However, Charity's portion unfortunately looks better in the skirt.

KuReshtin
2009-07-20, 12:31 PM
Charity and I are really the same person.

This is a well-known fact by the people who have attended the UKitP meets, because Charity has been there, and Thes always has a really 'convenient' excuse not to show up.

Recaiden
2009-07-20, 01:40 PM
However, Charity's portion unfortunately looks better in the skirt.

I really doubt that.:smallwink:
But you're doing a great job keeping it secret.

banjo1985
2009-07-20, 02:44 PM
This is a well-known fact by the people who have attended the UKitP meets, because Charity has been there, and Thes always has a really 'convenient' excuse not to show up.

...I thought their was something strange about him :smalleek:

PhoeKun
2009-07-20, 03:07 PM
And I remember when you were happier! Nya-ha-ha!

. . .wait, that's not a good thing to be 'in the past'.

The happy news is that it's also in the future. So... a hey, and a ho, and a hey nonny no, and... I dunno, something else.

Actual advice for the thread: constant self deprecation is a ticket to popularity. Don't punch it.

@v: I said don' punch it! Don't! :smalleek: That's bus/train/subway/apricot ticket terminology, and... really folks, love thyself and be loved by others. You don't want the popularity that comes entirely from sympathy.

FdL
2009-07-20, 03:12 PM
The happy news is that it's also in the future. So... a hey, and a ho, and a hey nonny no, and... I dunno, something else.

Actual advice for the thread: constant self deprecation is a ticket to popularity. Don't punch it.

Butbutbut...sometimes I feel happy and silly and playful! D: What to do then, act? I dunwanna be an emoe! :(

:p

Eon
2009-07-20, 03:51 PM
Emo :smallyuk:

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 04:05 PM
*noms*
Come on, it's not wrong to be a pose-I mean, an Emo.

Alarra
2009-07-20, 04:08 PM
I hope Alarra doesn't show up...

But don't you like me? *pouts* :smallfrown:

Jibar
2009-07-20, 04:18 PM
But don't you like me? *pouts* :smallfrown:

More you're one of the few people left who can out-Playground Age me. :smalltongue:

And of course I love you, because I can remember when you were the Goddess of Puddings.

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 04:23 PM
More you're one of the few people left who can out-Playground Age me. :smalltongue:

And of course I love you, because I can remember when you were the Goddess of Puddings.

Wait, when did she stop being Goddess?

Charity
2009-07-20, 04:42 PM
I really doubt that.:smallwink:
But you're doing a great job keeping it secret.

Posters Don't Know Bout Ma legs.

Since Puddingmeggedon

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news1528.jpg

Thes Hunter
2009-07-20, 05:04 PM
*BUSTED*

Now I know you save images for re-use later!

Since you used that image in a perfectly timed joke a few years ago.

I'm onto you mister!

It's almost like I am you. :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 05:06 PM
You know, this is the first time I've seen both Thes and Charity online at the same time.

(s)he must be using two computers and two different internet connections!

KuReshtin
2009-07-20, 05:32 PM
You know, this is the first time I've seen both Thes and Charity online at the same time.

(s)he must be using two computers and two different internet connections!

Web access via mobile/cell phone and regular land based connection.
It can be done.

Philistine
2009-07-20, 06:39 PM

She could if she wanted to. Everybody knows that werewolves have superhuman strength.

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 06:57 PM
Sure, superhuman strength.

But, they are not always popular, mind you.

Faulty
2009-07-20, 06:57 PM
They're totally not as cool as vampires.

Coidzor
2009-07-20, 07:03 PM

I think she's now a primordial Progenitating Force or something.

V'icternus
2009-07-20, 07:05 PM
As long as the Vampires don't have sparkles, I'm happy.

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 07:07 PM
@Faulty: Nope, they're cooler.

Vampires are, according to original legend, bisexual, tall, pale, black haired, and long faced. They are also cunning, but pretty much only twice as strong as a normal human.

Werewolves are simply 8 ft. tall beasts with lots of muscles, hairy, rough, and very strong, about 100 times stronger. Stupid, but strong. Real powerhouses.

That's why they are the perfect enemies.

Faulty
2009-07-20, 07:11 PM
@Faulty: Nope, they're cooler.

Vampires are, according to original legend, bisexual, tall, pale, black haired, and long faced. They are also cunning, but pretty much only twice as strong as a normal human.

Werewolves are simply 8 ft. tall beasts with lots of muscles, hairy, rough, and very strong, about 100 times stronger. Stupid, but strong. Real powerhouses.

That's why they are the perfect enemies.

I dunno man. Vampires seem pretty neat.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-20, 07:39 PM
I'm predisposed to werewolves. :smallamused:

Crimmy
2009-07-20, 07:40 PM
Yeah.
Just smart and beautiful. Vampires are that.

I prefer a Manly Brute every day.
I mean, come on. The vampire need his castle, traps and enough blood to pump him.
The Wolfie?
A forest.
Even without one, he'd outbeat the vampire any day of the week.

EDIT: ^: I love you! You ninja'd me with my same argument!

Alarra
2009-07-20, 07:57 PM

Erm....she didn't. *rains pudding down upon you all*

afroakuma
2009-07-20, 07:59 PM
PUDDING!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Clearly, someone has a PhD in Grandma. :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-07-20, 08:36 PM
I dunno if I'm popular. Am I popular? I think I'm sorta well known...

Anyways, I was away from the forums for the first half of my time here. I basically hang out anywhere that strikes my fancy.

In RL, though, it helps to join a band, and play a song for the school. After the talent show, everyone knew my name. It was sorta creepy, actually.

skywalker
2009-07-20, 09:19 PM
How to be popular? Hit that sweet spot of of silly, don't be too crazy, but don't be too respectable. We don't take to that 'round here, it seems.

And as someone else said, being female really helps.

Actually, you know, there are a variety of cliques on this website. Certain people are popular with the most vocal group, but I'd say everyone has their place.

Trog
2009-07-20, 09:30 PM
Erm....she didn't. *rains pudding down upon you all*
*turns umbrella inside out, catches some falling pudding, wades off to put it in the fridge for later* P=

Crimmy
2009-07-21, 08:43 AM
Trog is crazy for pudding, huh?

No matter, even though I can't feel my legs now that they're covered in pudding. Thanks Alarra :smallannoyed:
:smallamused:
:smallwink:
:smallsmile:
:smallbiggrin:

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-21, 08:49 AM
Trog is crazy for pudding, huh?

No matter, even though I can't feel my legs now that they're covered in pudding. Thanks Alarra :smallannoyed:
:smallwink:
:smallsmile:
:smallbiggrin:

Paralytic pudding, eh? What's the challenge rating on this hot mess? :smallconfused:

Charity
2009-07-21, 09:33 AM
Too high for you
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news1529.jpg

Emperor Ing
2009-07-21, 09:34 AM
the way I see it, if you value your dignity, don't try to get popular on these boards. :smallannoyed:

Eon
2009-07-21, 10:07 AM
*noms*
Come on, it's not wrong to be a pose-I mean, an Emo.

lol... I always think that...

The only way to free yourself from this pudding is to eat it!

Crimmy
2009-07-21, 10:10 AM
But, the Goddess will create more, I'm sure.

KilltheToy
2009-07-21, 10:16 AM
*Walks into thread and sees madness that has ensued*

I have no idea what's going on here. How did we go from a simple question to a rain of oddly paralytic pudding?

Also, what flavor of pudding is it?

Crimmy
2009-07-21, 10:24 AM
It is GODLY pudding.

The flavor is that of a Mod giving a simple human a Gift of Pudding.

Which, you can tell by now, is now a ciclyc question.

Eon
2009-07-21, 11:52 AM
... for some reason i am getting hungry for pudding... non-virtual flavored...

Shikton
2009-07-21, 11:53 AM
I'll take some caramel pudding, please?

Blue Ghost
2009-07-21, 11:54 AM
Pudding? Probably not the best way to get popular, in my opinion. But whatever works for you. I'm not too popular myself, so I can't tell.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-21, 12:29 PM
For the purpose of becoming popular by being female, I was adressed as ''mevrouw'', which is the dutch female form of mister.(Women around here don't get a new title after being married), does that count in making me (more) popular?

Coidzor
2009-07-21, 12:33 PM
Only if you roll with it, DeeDee.:smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-21, 01:17 PM
Allllright.:smallwink:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-07-23, 12:10 AM
Interesting avatars and screen name helps make a memorable first impression, but it won't take you very far without substance to back it up.

PUDDING!!

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 12:14 AM
Interesting avatars and screen name helps make a memorable first impression, but it won't take you very far without substance to back it up.

PUDDING!!

Atreyu, I think you may be past the point where you need substance.

Eon
2009-07-23, 11:10 AM
*starts holding stomach*

ooh... too much puddding. getting stomachache...

Ichneumon
2009-07-23, 11:17 AM
For the purpose of becoming popular by being female, I was adressed as ''mevrouw'', which is the dutch female form of mister.(Women around here don't get a new title after being married), does that count in making me (more) popular?

Technically, "mevrouw" is the dutch version of ms., while "mejuffrouw" is the word used for non-married women, although it isn't used often any more.

Reinholdt
2009-07-23, 11:24 AM
Being a Cylon helps. All of a sudden, everyone in the group is looking at you and pointing fingers at you and trying to throw you in the Brig. All that attention means you're popular, right?

Crimmy
2009-07-23, 11:25 AM
It is always nice to learn those little nuggets of information.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-23, 11:32 AM
Being a Cylon helps. All of a sudden, everyone in the group is looking at you and pointing fingers at you and trying to throw you in the Brig. All that attention means you're popular, right?

The threat of total nuclear annihilation helps too...

LCR
2009-07-23, 11:57 AM
Too high for you
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news1529.jpg

I've always imagined my death to be like this.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 12:06 PM

It depends. If you're a buff girl Cylon who has a variety of vaguely blonde hairstyles, you end up, like, being an angel! If you're the black-guy Cylon, you'll get little to no screen time.
Equality rawcks.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-23, 12:07 PM
Ummm...it didn't end up too well for the one blondie Cylon who didn't get on Madam Airlocks ship....

:smallconfused:

Some 'attention' is not good 'attention'. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 12:09 PM
Ummm...it didn't end up too well for the one blondie Cylon who didn't get on Madam Airlocks ship....

:smallconfused:

Some 'attention' is not good 'attention'. :smalltongue:

Yeah, but I'm thinking of the "Primes". *nodnod*

Eon
2009-07-23, 12:39 PM
what are these "Primes" you speak of?

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 01:53 PM
Technically, "mevrouw" is the dutch version of ms., while "mejuffrouw" is the word used for non-married women, although it isn't used often any more.

...The dutch meow at their womenfolk? :smallconfused:
:smalleek:
AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-07-23, 01:57 PM
Mmm...mod flavored pudding.

:smallsigh:

I like how instead of being partially off topic (on a topic similar but not directly pertaining to the subject) it is half completely off topic, and half completely relevant.

...Generally, popularity is confined to a section, unless you are REALLY active on the forums. For me, I would be aiming for the Homebrew section, although I might be more recognized in FB right now because I have been really homebrew inactive due to my campaign...I'm guessing I'm mostly off the radar in terms of 'popularity' here, at the moment.

Eon
2009-07-23, 02:16 PM
Does making SMBG threads make you popular?

Mordokai
2009-07-23, 02:17 PM
Only if it's named after you.

Eon
2009-07-23, 02:22 PM
named after you?

Mordokai
2009-07-23, 02:24 PM
Like this! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86317)[/self promotion]

And now we shall never speak of it again... ever!

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 02:29 PM
What is "SMBG" ?

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 02:34 PM
[interjects in typical bitter fashion]
I've been around for about two years, I've posted as thoughtfully and insightfully as I could, and eighteen hundred posts later, I have about an eight of the notoriety of Rutskarn. You, my dear OP, have no right to complain for at least another year. Fra'instance, I recognize 90% of the people below me. I doubt half of them have any idea who I am. :smallfrown: [/bitter interjection, back to your regularly scheduled ego-flapping]

Rutskarn
2009-07-23, 02:37 PM
What is "SMBG" ?

Silly Message Board Games.

Moff: I dunno, guy. I recognize you. You've had some good posts, in the past.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-23, 02:50 PM
Moff, I recognize you!

Ps. Getting quoted is always a good help.

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 02:56 PM
Yah, because I singled you out in one of my previous rants. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 03:02 PM
*backpat* It's ok we know you're pure evil and part of the galactic empire.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 03:07 PM
Yah, because I singled you out in one of my previous rants. :smalltongue:

Wait . . . why did I that post get sig worthy? Its an honest question

Mr. Mud
2009-07-23, 03:09 PM
Erhm, well in regards to the thread title...

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but never be afraid to glomp, and use correct grammar :smalltongue:.

Zincorium
2009-07-23, 03:10 PM
Outside of roleplaying games, probably nobody remembers seeing me.

I have managed to become distinctly unpopular with certain people (someone actually wrote a post on their blog about how pissed off I made them) due to going WAY too far during the course of arguments.*

*I have calmed down some since then.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 03:12 PM
Erhm, well in regards to the thread title...

I don't know if anyone's said this yet, but never be afraid to glomp, and use correct grammar :smalltongue:.

Glomp? What is glomp?

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 03:20 PM
Glomp? What is glomp?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q282/pyrnrd/anime%20pics/Glomp.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/Angelchaser/glomp.jpg

Glomp – A hug in the manner of a small child, similar to a bearhug but often including one or both legs as well as arms. Also a hug in which the hugger jumps and catches the victim by surprise or off-guard. Occasionally referred to as a cross between a running tackle and a bearhug.

Elder Tsofu
2009-07-23, 03:57 PM
Popular?
I suppose poking your nose into more forums than the A&C might help - and engage in conversation.
Being yourself usually works - on a big board like this there must be people for all styles. :smallwink:

Have anyone distilled the knowledgeable answers in this thread to find to common denominator and thus give the ultimate solution to the ancient quest for popularity?

Keld Denar
2009-07-23, 04:34 PM
Froogleyboy, I've seen you post over in the RPG/Gaming forum, and one thing that would help be more recognized is to invest more into your posts. They tend to be relatively short, vague, and often kinda demanding. Especially your posts asking for help about various aspects of the game. I have noticed that they have gotten much better, but are still rather...devoid of content. I'm not saying that they have to be long, per say, but it helps if you do a bit of research about something before asking questions so you have a broader understanding of how to ask it and what to ask questions about. Most of the crew over on the RPG forums are pretty friendly about helping out newbies, both in the game, and on the forums, but its sometimes difficult to respond when you don't really know what the poster is talking about or what their intentions and desires are.

This is just some constructive critisism based on what I've seen on your posts. The fact that I remember your post might mean something...

As far as actual popularity, a few of us over on the RPG forums are pretty well known due to rules knowledge and optimization knowledge. Take like, Person_Man, or Curmudgeon, or Eldariel, or ShneekytheLost, or Stoopidtallkid as examples. Their rules knoweldge is pretty expansive, their posts are often friendly, punctual, expansive, and helpful. People generally respect their opinions and often heed their advice because they have proven time and again to know what they are talking about. Granted, rules knowledge and character building skills don't develope over-night, I myself have been involved in it since 3.5's release, but we were all noobs at some point.

Also, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNc45FTenhg).

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 05:04 PM
I don't think there's a person on here who doesn't love your avatar though, Monsieur Denari.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-23, 05:22 PM
Froogleyboy, I've seen you post over in the RPG/Gaming forum, and one thing that would help be more recognized is to invest more into your posts. They tend to be relatively short, vague, and often kinda demanding. Especially your posts asking for help about various aspects of the game. I have noticed that they have gotten much better, but are still rather...devoid of content. I'm not saying that they have to be long, per say, but it helps if you do a bit of research about something before asking questions so you have a broader understanding of how to ask it and what to ask questions about. Most of the crew over on the RPG forums are pretty friendly about helping out newbies, both in the game, and on the forums, but its sometimes difficult to respond when you don't really know what the poster is talking about or what their intentions and desires are.

This is just some constructive critisism based on what I've seen on your posts. The fact that I remember your post might mean something...

As far as actual popularity, a few of us over on the RPG forums are pretty well known due to rules knowledge and optimization knowledge. Take like, Person_Man, or Curmudgeon, or Eldariel, or ShneekytheLost, or Stoopidtallkid as examples. Their rules knoweldge is pretty expansive, their posts are often friendly, punctual, expansive, and helpful. People generally respect their opinions and often heed their advice because they have proven time and again to know what they are talking about. Granted, rules knowledge and character building skills don't develope over-night, I myself have been involved in it since 3.5's release, but we were all noobs at some point.

This, from 12 pages, i have to say that this post helped me.

Icewalker
2009-07-23, 05:43 PM
Moff, I've seen you around here and there.

Method for 'popularity' also, of course, varies by section. Friendly Banter, general being around and friendly and active. Homebrew, if you produce a lot of things with a distinct style, mark, or within a project, one can get easily recognized. In the slightly slower sections, like Arts and Crafts, often there are single threads which get very long running, which one can easily become recognized inside of as one of the regulars to that thread.

That's a better word, actually. 'Popularity' doesn't really fit for what we're talking about, but recognition, and being known as a regular.

Another way, as Rutskarn has shown us quite strongly, is to put forward a very distinct identity for yourself. He's really active, particularly in the Media and Friendly Banter section, and his posts are pretty much always very distinct and recognizable. Often due to Chocolate Hammer plugs, but nonetheless. :smalltongue:

Raistlin1040
2009-07-23, 06:01 PM
[interjects in typical bitter fashion]
I've been around for about two years, I've posted as thoughtfully and insightfully as I could, and eighteen hundred posts later, I have about an eight of the notoriety of Rutskarn. You, my dear OP, have no right to complain for at least another year. Fra'instance, I recognize 90% of the people below me. I doubt half of them have any idea who I am. :smallfrown: [/bitter interjection, back to your regularly scheduled ego-flapping]

*laughs* Oh, you have no idea my friend.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 06:06 PM
This, from 12 pages, i have to say that this post helped me.

We were supposed to be providing some form of aid rather than shooting the breeze and being inane?

Whoa, sorry there dude.

Icewalker's got the right of it. Coidzors come and go and are as easily forgotten as a summer's rain, but Rutskarns leave a mark on our collective psyches and are, how you say, unique.

Whereas Rabbits just leave us in hopeless thralldom.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 06:10 PM
*laughs* Oh, you have no idea my friend.
.. Huh? I'd've thought everyone knew who you were, at least through association, if nothing else..?

Also, aren't you meant to be novel-writing?

Raistlin1040
2009-07-23, 06:15 PM
I think I'm well-known in passing, perhaps, but hardly one of the popular figures of the forum.

And Coidzor actually already yelled at me in a PM >> *is actually working, slowly, on the novel*

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 06:23 PM
I think I'm well-known in passing, perhaps, but hardly one of the popular figures of the forum.
Out of interest, is that an issue? :smallconfused:

And Coidzor actually already yelled at me in a PM >> *is actually working, slowly, on the novel*
Goodgood. :smallsmile:

Raistlin1040
2009-07-23, 06:27 PM
No, I don't particularly mind. It's not a sore point, at any rate, but I just find it interesting that I could be here so long and still be sort of a fringe member, at best, of the popular crowd.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-23, 06:28 PM
:: walks in, throws Raist over shoulder, and drags him out to write::

Um. Popularity.
Its a grabbag game of luck and being awesome.
right.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 06:31 PM
Although, Raistlin, though you've been here for some time, I wouldn't say you're quite so much of a regular poster, as some as the really popular posters, are you? And perhaps it depends on which boards you post in - I imagine you're very well known and popular among the music crowd in Media discussions, and FFRP know you well, no?

The_JJ
2009-07-23, 06:33 PM
Well, as is my habit, I'll just reply, tangentally, to the OP because I can't be bothered with reading pages of stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Giantitp, to me, seems to consist of interlocking circles of intrests. I rarely, for instance, venture into the art section. I'm sure there are some gods of OOTS style are before whom all kneel in awe of their mighty stickification that I'd never recognize. However, have frequented many a Roleplaying thread, I am most familiar with some of the playgrounds leading theorists. There is no real instant win button. Mod's aside, I think the only real celebrity we have is Rusty, and that's because he got a (well deserved) spot on Shamus' blog. Umm... SilverClawShifter (and her DM) got awesome points and I've seen quite a few people stopping in on her threads just to let her know how awesome she is. Extrapolate to lurkers and you've got quite the readership/name recognition. On an even more micro level Odin is revered, by about 4 or 5 members of this board, as the kind and benevolent god that brought us Total War. (see sig.)

Thing is, the way these boards are set up it's easy to slot yourself into the different sections. So popularity (well-knownedness? I mean, we love everybody here except for the spambots and Twihards) is relative. Like others, I've been here and posting for a while, but I've not staked any territory in any particular topic areas. While my post count may be hogh, most of them are scattershots (like this one) all over the gaming/roleplaying levels, plus a bunch in the actual PBP areas, where I get very well know to a very few people.

So how to get 'popular?' Spell good and use propper gramr, or have an excuse. Post often in the area you wish notoriety, but never spam. Make each post thoughtful and well reasoned. Most of all, though it'll have little bearing on your 'popularity,' preserve you personality as it is.

Thes Hunter
2009-07-23, 06:33 PM
People want to be happy, and to that end, people tend to be attracted to positive people who make them feel good about themselves.

People tend to avoid being upset and unhappy, so people tend to avoid people who are negative, bring them down, or make them feel bad about themselves.

So part of being popular is presenting yourself as a positive, confident person that others want to know.

Eon
2009-07-23, 06:35 PM
but couldn't being sad and lonely make others feel better?

Raistlin1040
2009-07-23, 06:37 PM
Although, Raistlin, though you've been here for some time, I wouldn't say you're quite so much of a regular poster, as some as the really popular posters, are you? And perhaps it depends on which boards you post in - I imagine you're very well known and popular among the music crowd in Media discussions, and FFRP know you well, no?

Kaela, I would reply, but it seems I've been kidnapped by a Greek Heroine.
*shrug* I'm lovably vanilla, I think, compared to some of the posters here, not quite as interesting, which accounts for some.

Calamity
2009-07-23, 06:37 PM
but couldn't being sad and lonely make others feel better?

Eeeevil people, sure. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most people here don't like to see others down.

Eon
2009-07-23, 06:39 PM
well then I should probably leave before others notice I'm down...

Kaelaroth
2009-07-23, 06:40 PM

Have you seen the Depression thread? It might help?

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 06:41 PM
Bandil Hawk Down?

nah... just not catchy enough...

:smalltongue: There's ways to get a li'l pickmeup around these parts too, y'know.

Calamity
2009-07-23, 06:42 PM

Wrong you are. Most people here would also want to help people who are down. In fact, the depression thread's all about that, so if you'r feeling down, I recommend going there.

Eon
2009-07-23, 06:58 PM
I am not seriously sad or anything just a little down.

Player_Zero
2009-07-23, 06:59 PM
Maybe we should get one of those applause meters to meaure popularity...

Eon
2009-07-23, 07:05 PM
Maybe we should get one of those applause meters to meaure popularity...

where does one buy these?

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 07:36 PM
Something just occurred to me... Rutsy is what would happen if you separated PZ into the sane half and not sane half, multiplied the insane half by four hundred, and let ferment in a gym locker for several decades. Just a thought. :smallconfused:

EDIT: Also, @Froogleboy, I halve a long-standing love/hate (but mostly hate) relationship with SMBG and its ubiquity, so I thought it'd be funny to flaunt that. Nothing too deep. :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 07:39 PM
I am not seriously sad or anything just a little down.

Then remember this adage.

This too, shall pass.

I'm inclined to agree with you about rutskarn except you need to recomb-

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 07:40 PM
Eh what now?

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 07:57 PM
Then remember this adage.

I don't think it's meant to be used like that.

At that moment Solomon realized that all his wisdom and fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.

Yarram
2009-07-23, 07:58 PM
Has anyone said making your own avatars? Seriously it's easy, and nothing grabs peoples attention like a shiny original avatar... Or makes you instantly placed into a mental trash can for being cliche of course... ;p

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 08:01 PM
^: That trashcan bit is mostly if it's not only an original avatar but... horrible enough that it causes offense. Which is thankfully rare. Since most bad ones get replaced as the art is honed.

Now making avatars for others that see use and advertise you in their signatures......:smallamused:

I don't think it's meant to be used like that.

Well, I've heard it applied to everything from kidney stones to the depression born of having one's wife reveal that not only is s/he transgendered but that s/he has been sleeping with one's boss and is leaving one with some kid s/he adopted in secret that one didn't know about until you walked in on hir screwing one's boss.

So I figure it could be applied safely to something as innocuous as feeling a bit bleh today.

Moffsters Chummlers: Sorry about that, I was being garroted.

You have to recombine the sanity and brilliance of P_Z with the augmented insanity and about 50 Joules of Awesome in order to get as near as we've been able to figure out his recipe.

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 08:11 PM
^: That trashcan bit is mostly if it's not only an original avatar but... horrible enough that it causes offense. Which is thankfully rare. Since most bad ones get replaced as the art is honed.

It's a good thing that no one remembers my first avatar, then. :smallwink:

My brother said to me just today: "A lot of people must know you in the Playground, because I see you in people's sigs ALL THE TIME. And lots of people have your avatars."

I was like... "whubbah?" :smalleek: because I didn't think I was particularly widespread...he's NEVER in FB.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 08:17 PM
It's a good thing that no one remembers my first avatar, then. :smallwink:

My brother said to me just today: "A lot of people must know you in the Playground, because I see you in people's sigs ALL THE TIME. And lots of people have your avatars."

I was like... "whubbah?" :smalleek: because I didn't think I was particularly widespread...he's NEVER in FB.

You see, he is ... how you say... your BROTHER. He is, ah... going to be keeping tabs on you. Especially since he doubtless knows by now that there are several older men who have expressed questionable attraction towards you. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 08:21 PM
You see, he is ... how you say... your BROTHER. He is, ah... going to be keeping tabs on you. Especially since he doubtless knows by now that there are several older men who have expressed questionable attraction towards you. :smalltongue:

Doubt it. Like I said...he's never in FB.

Though....

OMG maybe my parents aren't my only cyberstalkers! :smalleek: :smallcool:

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 08:23 PM
OMG maybe my parents aren't my only cyberstalkers! :smalleek: :smallcool:

Yes, that would be what I was suggestink, mein Fraulein..

It's not so bad though. Unless more of us know your facebook than I would care to imagine. (specifically, more than 5 people...)

But yeah, I imagine he keeps some tabs on ya. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 08:32 PM
>.> <.<

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 08:42 PM
It's not so bad though. Unless more of us know your facebook than I would care to imagine. (specifically, more than 5 people...)

You know how to make a girl paranoid.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 08:57 PM
Well, I figured you might be familiar with such teasings from your brother or at least your parentals...

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 09:06 PM

You know how to make a girl paranoid.

Don't worry about it. You are quite cautious, although I suppose anyone with bad intentions could probably find your information anyway.

And I don't think any of my avatars have been bad enough to cause offense.:smalleek:

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 09:07 PM
And I don't think any of my avatars have been bad enough to cause offense.:smalleek:

Good. Or else we'd have to take... Steps... :smalltongue:

Nah, seriously though, you're both alright, quite worrying aboot the past so much.

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 09:22 PM
[/is confused]

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 09:24 PM
Don't worry about it. You are quite cautious, although I suppose anyone with bad intentions could probably find your information anyway.

No doubt.

...that wasn't an invitation to try.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 09:24 PM
What's got you confused, eh? Anything Momma Coidz can do to clear dis ting up?

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 09:35 PM
No doubt.

You think I would? Well, I suppose you might have a different definition of bad intentions. :smallfrown: Fine, keep your privacy!

Or was this thing about 5 people serious?

@Coid: I think refraining from referring to yourself in the 3rd person or as a woman might help.

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 09:36 PM
You think I would? Well, I suppose you might have a different definition of bad intentions. :smallfrown: Fine, keep your privacy!

It wasn't meant for you. :smallbiggrin: I believe that you have the best of intentions. I just am a paranoid sucker. :smallamused:

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 09:38 PM
It wasn't meant for you. :smallbiggrin: I believe that you have the best of intentions. I just am a paranoid sucker. :smallamused:
Yeah, I'm too trusting and optimistic. In most ways, as I get a bit suspicious of jokes.

And as I edited but was ninjad:

Dragonrider
2009-07-23, 09:40 PM
Hope it wasn't. :smallamused:

Eon
2009-07-23, 09:46 PM

>.< if I started making avatars they would cause offense because of their horribleness.

Coidzor
2009-07-23, 09:53 PM
^: That's why you follow tutorials and make about 5 of them before you unveil any of them to the world. :smallwink:

@Coid: I think refraining from referring to yourself in the 3rd person or as a woman might help.

Well, then, if you insist... :smallamused: I'll be happy to oblige ya'll.

About as serious as anything I say to tease Deary about her brother and her relative attractiveness.

:smalltongue: No, about the only thing I could think of that would qualify as such an invitation to try such things, Deary, would be offering a date to the first one that showed up on your doorstep with a complex scavenger hunt's worth of items.

Serpentine
2009-07-23, 11:48 PM
If only you people could see the first thing I ever made for this site... :smallsigh:

Oh wait, you can.

No, I'm not gonna make it easy for you to find! :smallyuk:

Recaiden
2009-07-23, 11:58 PM
If only you people could see the first thing I ever made for this site... :smallsigh:

Oh wait, you can.

Was it one of those fire elementals? Perhaps this thing?
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/barf.jpg

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 12:06 AM
Coidzor, how do you expect to gain "internet popularity" when you keep changing your freakin Avatar every hour or so lately. The "facial" recognition isn't there. Its like watching a man with a puppet argue with himself. Just...confusing!

Alarra
2009-07-24, 12:10 AM
I love looking at people's progression from their first avatars to current. It's amazing how different they are and how much improvement everyone makes. So remember that, if your first avatar sucks, keep trying. :smallsmile:

Here's mine:
first: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Alarra/avatars/alarrap.gif middleish: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Alarra/avatars/ava2.gif most recent:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/Alarra/avatars/steampunka.gif

But yeah, slightly on topic....making avatars for people is a good way to get yourself more well known. :smallsmile:

ghost_warlock
2009-07-24, 12:13 AM
Its like watching a man with a puppet argue with himself. Just...confusing!

Or, THE MOST AWESOME THING, EVER! :smallbiggrin:

"Jeh-fuh-fuh Dun...HAM!"

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 12:13 AM
Coidzor, how do you expect to gain "internet popularity" when you keep changing your freakin Avatar every hour or so lately. The "facial" recognition isn't there. Its like watching a man with a puppet argue with himself. Just...confusing!

I didn't really set myself out to seek popularity anyway... Though, now that you mention it. This gives me an idea for an avatar that I'd actually want to keep around for a bit. Or at least the start of one.

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 12:22 AM
Was it one of those fire elementals? Perhaps this thing?
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/barf.jpgWhat's wrong with my fire elementals and Barf? :smallfrown:
But no, even worse than that. Give you a hint: It's in the Iron Avatarist section, I think.

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 12:24 AM

Alarra has shown her hand...

I suppose I have no excuses now. :smalltongue:

December 2006:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/Dragonrider.jpg

August 2007:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/DRrider3-1.gif

February 2009
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/DRriderhippie.png

I still ain't as pwetty-making as Alarra. :smallamused:

Edit: I just realized that each of these was made in a different program. Hmm. And I see a distinct art improvement with each switch. Double hmm.

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 12:48 AM
Oh, alright then. Very first:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Iron%20Avatarist%20Entries/nerdpirate.jpg

I can't remember the exact order, but other early ones include:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/monkeyusd.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/blueechidna.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/fireechidna.jpg http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/sarpynestae.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Iron%20Avatarist%20Entries/goodspaceballs.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/exphalfling.jpg

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 12:51 AM
Wow...Early Serpy is miles ahead of early DeeRee. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-07-24, 12:53 AM
These were my first sticks.

http://www.chocolatehammer.org/wp-content/gallery/sticks/temp2.jpg

And...yeah, that's all I got. Haven't touched InkScape since.

Renegade Paladin
2009-07-24, 12:55 AM
Popularity is overrated. Infamy is oh so much more fun. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 12:56 AM
Oh, wow. Recaiden's been associated with you for longer than I'd thought....

Alarra
2009-07-24, 12:58 AM
And...yeah, that's all I got. Haven't touched InkScape since.
Least you had the good sense to start with inkscape....my first one's in paint. :smallsmile:
And I've had a lot of time to hone mine DR....the first one's from 2004. =)

randman22222
2009-07-24, 01:01 AM
Least you had the good sense to start with inkscape....my first one's in paint. :smallsmile:
And I've had a lot of time to hone mine DR....the first one's from 2004. =)

Heh, I started in GIMP. Where it actually matters whether you fill first and stroke later, or stroke now, and fill lat— that sounds very dirty.

Annnnyyyyywaaaayyy, avatar making in GIMP is like pulling teeth.

Elder Tsofu
2009-07-24, 02:00 AM
Serpentine, I don't know what it is about the book-reading monkey but I'm always happy to see it. ^^

And Dragonrider - it would be much more fun if you had made something slightly horrible first instead of just going through good to better (and so on...). :smalltongue:

And yes, a name change might be a bad move when seeking popularity - personally I think it worse than if you change your avatar often and have no theme in it. :smallwink:

Icewalker
2009-07-24, 02:50 AM

Oh wait, you can.

...found it. Wasn't terribly hard. Although it's been taken down off photobucket, so we can't see it anymore. :smallfrown: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1415248&postcount=73)

Elder Tsofu
2009-07-24, 03:16 AM
*points to post 403* :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 03:36 AM
Serp, DR and Alarra: Your first tries are nothing compared in horribility compared to mine!
No...I'm not making it that easy...

DeeRee has a brother? 0.o

As for my own ''popularity'', I'm pretty sure only people from FB, SMBG, maybe A&C, B/S issues and very maybe Gaming(other) know me. >.>

Wait, maybe some people from Media because some visit FB and Adumbration who I think was a regular there carried a avatar by me for some time....

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 03:38 AM
Popularity is overrated. Infamy is oh so much more fun. :smallamused:

Yea, I was trying to find that thread the other day where like, 16/20 people on the first page are all banned. I can't remember the name of it, but it has like TLN, Ruto, BearswithLazers, Solo, and a few others I don't remember off the top of my head. Just taking part and surviving that thread deserves a reward of some sort, other than the ability to continue posting. Infamy indeed...

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 04:46 AM
Oh, wow. Recaiden's been associated with you for longer than I'd thought....Actually, I made those in response to someone called "FlamingPorcupine" or somesuch. 2006, long before Recaiden turned up (I think).
Serp, DR and Alarra: Your first tries are nothing compared in horribility compared to mine!
No...I'm not making it that easy...I remember :smalltongue: Mostly just serves to make your more recent stuff look even better :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 05:17 AM
Noo....Those things should be forgotten, never to be remembered.:smalleek:

And it does make the ...grand total of avatars currently being used....Which is a exciting.....grand total of ONE! look better.:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 05:22 AM
Maybe you should try taking some requests? Good way to practice, and get your avis used.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 05:35 AM
I think it's been months, if not years that I've looked at the Request thread. o.0

Maybe I'l see if there are some nice ones...

Crimmy
2009-07-24, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry guys, but my first avvies are worse than yours!!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/Thecrimsonmage/robotguy-1.png

This is from november 07, i believe....

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/Thecrimsonmage/warmage.png

January 08.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/Thecrimsonmage/drowblackmage.png

February 08

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/Thecrimsonmage/lordxavius.png

April 08

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/Thecrimsonmage/DrowAlch.png

July 08.

Recaiden
2009-07-24, 07:49 AM
Oh, wow. Recaiden's been associated with you for longer than I'd thought....

No, but I think it was since my first day here.
My First Avatar, in Paint
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm316/RockShade/Avatars/AvatarM.png
My Last GIMP Avatar
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm316/RockShade/Daemonette-1.png
Present Day
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm316/RockShade/WingedNemesis.png http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm316/RockShade/Autopsi-1.png http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm316/RockShade/EchidnaFireDragonBlueWings-1.png

Eon
2009-07-24, 09:20 AM
^: That's why you follow tutorials and make about 5 of them before you unveil any of them to the world. :smallwink:

All I have is paint...

Edit: grr every time i post it seems to go to the next page! :smallfurious:

ghost_warlock
2009-07-24, 09:28 AM
Edit: grr every time i post it seems to go to the next page! :smallfurious:

Relax...top of the page is much better than the bottom of one.
(Although I'll admit to having a bit of a thing for a nice bottom =P)
Anyway...Inkscape is a free download you can get here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/files/inkscape/0.46/Inkscape-0.46.win32.exe/download).

Eon
2009-07-24, 09:37 AM
first and second avatars here.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/1stavatar.jpghttp://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/3rdavatar-1.jpg

also didn't know inkscape was free.
just tried it. found out that there is no free download. The link was broken.

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 09:46 AM
DeeRee has a brother? 0.o

Three of them. :smalltongue:

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 09:49 AM
The earliest avatar I've made was this one:
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/Drow.png

Followed closely by:
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/comannderkelp.png

One of my more recent avis:
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/KrogMad.png

and
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/1636071/staffguy1.png

EDIT: I also didn't know that Inkscape is free at first. My first few attempts on paint would damage your brain.:smallyuk:

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 10:12 AM
was bored. decided to try again... do not look if you are easily frightened.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/3rdavatar.jpg

That's.. *twich* pretty good.. *twich*... I like eeeet... *twich*

In all seriousness, that's good compared to my first attempts. My first tries at paint deserve to go in the HoH.:smallamused:

Eon
2009-07-24, 10:15 AM
I warned you!

Serpentine
2009-07-24, 10:19 AM
Bandil, assuming you're going for the Giant's style, I suggest you look closely at - maybe even trace over - his own work, or a template (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/Templates/templates.gif). There's a lot of things that are obvious later seem counter-intuitive at first. Such as the head being something like twice the width of the body.

Eon
2009-07-24, 10:22 AM
I will probably need to use those templates...

SilverSheriff
2009-07-24, 10:22 AM
I don't think you can 'Get' 'popular' here, you either hit it off or you don't.

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 10:25 AM
hmmmm..... so they are pretty bad...

What are you.. *twich* ...talking about... *twich* I think it's guuuud.. *twich*

Eon
2009-07-24, 10:44 AM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/rocksfall.jpg
Heh falling rocks.
Made with a template and paint... is it good?

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-24, 10:45 AM
WOW did we get off topic here.

:eek:

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 10:49 AM
You're right, I didn't notice that until now. :smalleek:

I never considered myself to be that popular. I don't think people dislike me, I just never had enough time on the playground to cultivate a reputation. I think some people like my avatars though, considering how I get a lot of requests.

@Bandil: I can really see the improvement in that. You should really try Inkscape, as it allows more options for your characters.

Eon
2009-07-24, 10:49 AM
just a little bit...

well they said making avatars could make you popular and I decided to try it...

Mando Knight
2009-07-24, 11:09 AM
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/rocksfall.jpg
Heh falling rocks.
Made with a template and paint... is it good?

You used JPEG. First rule of posting images: never use JPEG images except for photos. Go with PNG instead, it's better.

Eon
2009-07-24, 11:16 AM
You used JPEG. First rule of posting images: never use JPEG images except for photos. Go with PNG instead, it's better.

How do I switch it. And was it good?

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 11:19 AM
There's a lot of improvement in it, and I can see that you're using a template. You should really try Inkscape, as it allows more options for your drawings.

EDIT: There was a guide on using Inkscape, but I don't know where it is...

Neko Toast
2009-07-24, 11:20 AM
Very first avatar:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Draco-2.png

Followed by this:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Dracosmall.gif

(switch from MS Paint to InkScape)

Followed by this:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Dracosmall-1.png

Followed by now.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Draco-1.png

It's like an evolutionary chain.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 11:21 AM
There are only a few good with Paint. Most current one is Crimmy I think, so if you really want to go with Paint, ask him for advice.
Otherwise I'd go with http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en which is free. And then go use Trazoi's guide of making OOTS style human(oid) avatars in Inkscape. (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/). Then go and do lots of requests for practice in the Request thread(in Arts & Crafts) , don't stop if they want something better.

But...Off-topic much?:smalltongue:

BPG: I do think you're wrong on that one, for example, I think The_Q is very well known around the Fan-Comics section, popular even maybe. But I don't like him. To say it lightl

Logalmier
2009-07-24, 11:23 AM
What's that hegehog saying in the second picture?

Neko Toast
2009-07-24, 11:37 AM
He's saying "Squee?" Shox the hedgehog was sometimes my avatar, too.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxcontent.gif

Here he is from 'The Real You' Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxreal.jpg

Gender Bender Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxconfused.gif

Baby Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxbaby.gif

The Holidays
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/X-masShox.jpg

And here's Shox with some different moods that I used to put in my signature.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxangry.gifhttp://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxsad.gifhttp://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxshocked.gif

Eon
2009-07-24, 11:52 AM
okay! I just finished downloading inkscape and have the guide added to favorites. I'll try that soon. I may do both paint and inkscape for avatars though...

Quincunx
2009-07-24, 11:57 AM
It's not that far off-topic. The Arts and Crafts subforum, the original poster's haunt, is a meritocracy--talent is the key to popularity there. Mostly it's avatar talent, but they also note talent in scripting, spontaneous art, brain-searing creativity (House of Horrors), art tutorials, and the like.

Moff Chumley
2009-07-24, 12:09 PM
*prod*
How could you forget House of Fanservice? :smalltongue:

ghost_warlock
2009-07-24, 01:34 PM
It's not that far off-topic. The Arts and Crafts subforum, the original poster's haunt, is a meritocracy--talent is the key to popularity there. Mostly it's avatar talent, but they also note talent in scripting, spontaneous art, brain-searing creativity (House of Horrors), art tutorials, and the like.

And the 'Shipping thread for aspiring writers/squickers. Any popularity I have around here came about almost exclusively as a result of a participation there. It's been ages since I wrote anything new, though. :smallsigh:

Trog
2009-07-24, 02:15 PM
He's saying "Squee?" Shox the hedgehog was sometimes my avatar, too.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxcontent.gif

Here he is from 'The Real You' Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxreal.jpg

Gender Bender Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxconfused.gif

Baby Week
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxbaby.gif

The Holidays
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/X-masShox.jpg

And here's Shox with some different moods that I used to put in my signature.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxangry.gifhttp://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxsad.gifhttp://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr327/Pathae/Shoxshocked.gif
Oh yeah! I didn't realize that was yours. I rely too much on avvies for poster identification I'm afraid. I vote for a return of the hedgehog. :smallbiggrin:

Neko Toast
2009-07-24, 02:19 PM
Don't worry, Trog. He'll be back soon. :smallwink:

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 02:40 PM
Where's Fax Celestis? If anyone should be asked about being popular in the playground, Fax would probably be one of the best. He surfaced for about a month around 6-7 months ago, but I haven't seen him since.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 02:41 PM
I haven't seen Fax Celestis either for some months.
I remember him being pretty popular when he was active.

Keld Denar
2009-07-24, 02:43 PM
Yea...not many make it to "Titan in the Playground" lol...that requires a certain amount of dedication, to say the least!

Saithis Bladewing
2009-07-24, 04:37 PM
I was popular, once upon a time. Now I doubt anyone posting in this thread has even heard of me. Except Trog. And Serp. Maybe Dragonrider and Zeb...

Popularity, however it seems, is but an evanescent gift not worth your time.

Jibar
2009-07-24, 04:38 PM
If I say I remember you will you promise not to eat me like you usually do?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-24, 04:48 PM
I most certainly remember you, and you're pretty cool!

Just if you would post more often...

Recaiden
2009-07-24, 05:11 PM
I was popular, once upon a time. Now I doubt anyone posting in this thread has even heard of me. Except Trog. And Serp. Maybe Dragonrider and Zeb...

There are people who don't remember?

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 05:39 PM
I saw 'er once. Was nomming on sommat. Then, not again until t'day.

Jalor
2009-07-24, 05:41 PM

I vaguely remember you.

Mordokai
2009-07-24, 05:48 PM
The name does indeed sound familiar.

littlequietguy
2009-07-24, 05:50 PM
This thread has gone on long enough that the answer to the original question is clear.

"Start a thread that everybody has an opinion on."

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 06:00 PM

Yup. I 'members you. And judging by the response you've received, I'm clearly not the only one....

Moff Chumley
2009-07-24, 06:04 PM

Ooh, I know you. :smallsmile:

GoC
2009-07-24, 06:06 PM
Participate, and try to make sure that you're actually contributing. Think things through before you say them.

This. 1000xthis.

I'm reasonably well known but not very popular because of:
A. My posts have a tendency to lack substance.
B. I will generally abandon a thread just when the argument gets interesting.
C. My posts generally have a harsh tone.

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 06:19 PM
This. 1000xthis.

I'm reasonably well known but not very popular because of:
A. My posts have a tendency to lack substance.
B. I will generally abandon a thread just when the argument gets interesting.
C. My posts generally have a harsh tone.

My posts rarely have substance. In fact, it seems like the longer I'm here, the less substance I put into them. :smallamused:

Dogmantra
2009-07-24, 06:20 PM
My posts rarely have substance. In fact, it seems like the longer I'm here, the less substance I put into them. :smallamused:

Yes, but you're female and attractive. You don't need to put substance in if those things apply, it seems.

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 06:22 PM
Yes, but you're female and attractive. You don't need to put substance in if those things apply, it seems.

I'd rather be known for intelligence or wit or something...but okay. :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-07-24, 06:23 PM
I would offer my secrets to success, but I'm not sure if I'm Popular, Infamous, or merely Tolerated around here.

Pyrian
2009-07-24, 06:26 PM
This thread has gone on long enough that the answer to the original question is clear.

"Start a thread that everybody has an opinion on."That presumes that anybody remembers who the OP was. :smallamused:

In fact, it seems like the longer I'm here, the less substance I put into them. :smallamused:What's up with that, anyway? :smallfrown: Your substance was awesome when you chose to grace us with it. You already had a following when all we had seen of you was curls... :smallcool:

Dragonrider
2009-07-24, 06:28 PM
What's up with that, anyway? :smallfrown: Your substance was awesome when you chose to grace us with it. You already had a following when all we had seen of you was curls... :smallcool:

I'm just lazy, I guess. :smallbiggrin:

Or, more likely, I feel no need to impress. Or I lurk a lot more than I used to (I do). Or my vanity has outstripped my capabilities and thus I'm reluctant to say too much anymore. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 06:42 PM
Well quit it. Otherwise Rabbit will corner the market once more.

Recaiden
2009-07-24, 07:29 PM
I'd rather be known for intelligence or wit or something...but okay. :smalltongue:

You are, so we tend to overlook it if you show them less.

Trog
2009-07-24, 07:35 PM

:O

*Saithisglompdancewith!* :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-07-24, 07:49 PM
I haven't seen Fax Celestis either for some months.
I remember him being pretty popular when he was active.

Fax was a pretty big figure a long time ago when he was really active, then he vanished for a few months after Victorious Press got started, but now our resident god of homebrew has in fact returned. He's been working on d20 Rebirth over in the Homebrew section. I think he's staying pretty confined to there though, now.

I remember when I had just recently joined the forum, spent most of my time in the OOTS and Homebrew sections. Now it's almost entirely FB, a bit of SMBG, and lurking in A&C. This is because all my old homebrew time is taken up working on my campaign, which I intend to post eventually, and I've left off OOTS because it can be a bit intense as well as very fast moving. Also I got tired of the epileptic forest.

Anyways, when I was active a while ago in the Homebrew section, there were three people who really stood out as the big figures there: Fax Celestis, Lord Iames Osari (who I haven't seen around for a long time either) and The Vorpal Tribble, who has always been here and from what I can tell always will be :smallbiggrin:

Several others as well, after I'd been around for a while, but whereas I looked up to Fax, Osari, and VT I felt the others were more like peers as other active homebrewers.

I've been too inactive there for too long to know whether there are new or vanished active creators...

Eon
2009-07-24, 08:51 PM
Bandil is going off-topic again. If I do go off topic another time please remind me...

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/Lightningknight.png

is this better?

Coidzor
2009-07-24, 09:00 PM
Umm, marginally. Certainly an improvement though I can't qualify it without also reviewing the earlier examples.

:smalltongue: More appropriate to take this subtext to the A&C thread anyway.

Eon
2009-07-24, 09:03 PM
oh okay :smalltongue:

*flees thread*

FdL
2009-07-24, 10:09 PM

I know you and it's awesome to read you ^^ *hugs*

afroakuma
2009-07-24, 11:16 PM
Where's Fax Celestis? If anyone should be asked about being popular in the playground, Fax would probably be one of the best. He surfaced for about a month around 6-7 months ago, but I haven't seen him since.

Fax is always a popular sight when he shows up, but he dropped off the radar in late April, bounced back for a few days and then trailed away. If I remember correctly, it involved buying a house. Last he was here was Thursday; he just hasn't posted since May.

Don't know what he's up to now, but he's a capital human being and I wish him well.

Saithis: Don't know you, I admit, but I've heard of you.

FdL
2009-07-25, 01:08 AM
This is the definitive off topic thread. See how it mutates to include versions of "Do you know me?", to "My first avatar stuff", "playgrounders we haven't heard of in a while" and many more. I'm fascinated.

I'm not being sarcastic for once, mind you.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-25, 01:11 AM

I think this was the first time I'd ever seen you post.
I had, however, seen you in chat, back in the days when I bothered with it.

SDF
2009-07-25, 02:13 AM
:O

*Saithisglompdancewith!* :smallbiggrin:

Don't do it! Now she's gonna asplode!

ghost_warlock
2009-07-25, 02:34 AM

I've been envious of your avatar(s)/awards since...pretty much always.

Re: Avatar "face recognition." I'd say it certainly helps garner popularity to have a recognizable "face" or at least a set of thematic "faces." Perhaps the same concept as establishing a brand identity. Although, a recognizable signature can perhaps serve the same function for those of us with mercurial avatars.

I know that I seem to be more-or-less recognized by other forumites, based on evidence from the "do you know me" SMBG. My avatar changes frequently, often on a whim, though my signature is more predictable and relatively constant.

Pyrian
2009-07-25, 02:43 AM
I've had at least one total stranger call out "Hey Pyrian!" on the street. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-07-25, 03:17 AM
It's Saithis! =O Hey everyone, Saithis is posting!

Coidzor
2009-07-25, 04:21 AM
I've had at least one total stranger call out "Hey Pyrian!" on the street. :smalltongue:

That's.. Actually kinda scary.:smalleek:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-25, 04:23 AM
Re: Avatar "face recognition." I'd say it certainly helps garner popularity to have a recognizable "face" or at least a set of thematic "faces." Perhaps the same concept as establishing a brand identity.
>.>
<,<
But I did that...

Serpentine
2009-07-25, 04:26 AM
Yep. And now you're readily recognised as The Cookiemonster.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-25, 04:28 AM
Though I do have a warning, if you attempt to switch your avatar to something else, people will try to lynch you.
Speaking from personal experience here.:smalleek:

Coidzor
2009-07-25, 04:31 AM
*pats on the head* I just want your warm, fluffy coat for myself.

Saithis Bladewing
2009-07-25, 06:27 AM
Changing avatars definitely goes a long way towards reducing popularity. The fact that I used to change avatars and names regularly probably didn't help mine. People just like seeing the same person over and over again.

P.S.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/1559510790_c3b0704e4c_o.jpg
See what you did, Trog?

Also, as a note, I do recognize most of the people who posted after me. :P

SMEE
2009-07-25, 07:13 AM
It's Saithis! My sister! :smalleek:

*tacklehugs*

Darius Midnite
2009-07-25, 07:39 AM
My oh my, Saithis has seen fit to grace us with her pressence. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-07-25, 08:56 AM
Though I do have a warning, if you attempt to switch your avatar to something else, people will try to lynch you.
Speaking from personal experience here.:smalleek:

You're telling me. I was given an avatar of Akuma's portrait with a photoshopped afro, and every thread I entered got flooded with confused comments about it. Had to change it back within a day. :smalleek:

Eon
2009-07-25, 09:54 AM
*enters thread*
"Woohoo Saithis! wait... I have no clue who she is... and I haven't seen her before...)
*leaves thread confused*

Quincunx
2009-07-25, 11:11 AM
Bandil is going off-topic again. If I do go off topic another time please remind me...

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/generick_01/Lightningknight.png

is this better?

Quite! Much better sense of proportion in lines and in the general shape of it! Was it built along the lines of a halfling?

@V: I think it's the splayed-out position of the legs that is making me think it's a halfling, since I measured them now and they're definitely human length. Human feet are a lot closer to being directly under the sides of the body. Then again, it might become part of your avatar style to draw angled legs.

Eon
2009-07-25, 11:34 AM
Quite! Much better sense of proportion in lines and in the general shape of it! Was it built along the lines of a halfling?

No... I just created it in inkscape and had to resize it to fit better in the post.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-25, 11:35 AM
I remember you, Saithis :smalltongue:
Your black dragon is a but more recognizable though. My own 'brand' is rather easy to keep up, mainly because I just have to use a dog/puppy/canine or a mix of one of those and a person.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-25, 12:36 PM
You're telling me. I was given an avatar of Akuma's portrait with a photoshopped afro, and every thread I entered got flooded with confused comments about it. Had to change it back within a day. :smalleek:
Try stop being the cookiemonster after two years, I actually got PM's from people demanding I put Cmon back up, within 4 hours at that.:smalleek:

Though I do guess that kinda makes me popular.:smallcool:

Recaiden
2009-07-25, 01:27 PM
Try stop being the cookiemonster after two years, I actually got PM's from people demanding I put Cmon back up, within 4 hours at that.:smalleek:

Wow. Although I guess I didn't have an echidna that long. 'S why I keep it in my signature when I use a different one.

Trog
2009-07-25, 01:35 PM
P.S.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/1559510790_c3b0704e4c_o.jpg
See what you did, Trog?
Trog... asploded? After eating Nooklee-O's, part of this nutritious breakfast?

Either that or Trog pushed the "Nuke" button instead of the "Nurse" button. Remind Trog not to purchase intercom equipment from Genesis ever again.

Jibar
2009-07-25, 01:38 PM

I don't know if I'm well known enough for a change of avatar to confuse people.