PDA

View Full Version : How to get "popular" on Giantitp???

Pages : [1] 2 3

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 11:27 AM
Okay, we all know the "popular kids" (not saying you are children just . . .a joke)
Many of them or artists or other stuff but it seems the other members become "Friends" other the boards with them. On there threads it seems they only talk to a certain few people. Sure they'll have light banter with you but not a real conversation. So. . . heres the question, How does one become popular on the boards? I tried writing short stories but I only had one reader and the stories just . . . died.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:30 AM
I got it!
Be yourself. :smallannoyed:
There's noway you'll get popular if you start doing things you are not.

I, for myself, am not quite all that popular, but the ones that know me know me for what I am and do.

People like Bath are great avatarists, and get praised for that.
Em and Krimm are just too damn fun.
Serpie is a very interesting and smart person.

Etc., etc.,etc.

You'll do fine in here AS LONG AS you are yourself.
Nothing more.

At least, I believe so.

Jesse Drake
Have you tried smoking? All the cool kids smoke. Come on, it'll make you look older too.

Popularity's overrated. I prefer infamy. Then not only do they know your name, but they curse it over and over in their sleepless nights.

Though then if you take it one step too far, you've hit the ignore list.

Edit* Wow, one big mega ninja

RabbitHoleLost
This kinda thing just...happens.
You can't really try.

Or, you could become a woman.
To be quite honest, it seems like women are almost instantly popular here, as long as they don't stir up too many negative feelings.

Dogmantra
Try to make sure all your posts are either funny, interesting or funteresting (that's totally not a portmanteau)

Alternatively, be an evil genius.

Haruki-kun
2009-07-19, 11:31 AM
I'd rather think of something like how to be liked on GITP. And it's pretty much the same as everywhere else... you just be nice and friendly, participate in conversations, join a group, maybe.

littlequietguy
2009-07-19, 11:32 AM
The well known people aren't some "elite". They have been here a while and help others. If you want to be popular then just continue in the direction you're heading, even if you don't know what that is.

Edit: and I suppose this is a good as any time to say that Dogmantra was really nice in the creative process of making my avatar and he was friendly (and humble) while doing it.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:33 AM
GREAT GOD, I NINJA'D EVERYONE!!!

That's weird.

Flickerdart
Go on the IRC. Then you can feel smug about it. Who needs the boards? :smallbiggrin:

Castaras

This. :smallamused:

Although really, just post around. Talk to people. *shrugs* Don't try to be popular.

Mordokai
2009-07-19, 11:36 AM
To be quite honest, it seems like women are almost instantly popular here, as long as they don't stir up too many negative feelings.

Not just here, mind you. Women are popular on pretty much every board that's not totally women oriented. At least that's my observation.

But yeah, be yourself. It helps if you're a little bit crazy and/or wacky but it's in no way a prerequisite.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 11:38 AM
Have you tried smoking? All the cool kids smoke. Come on, it'll make you look older too.

Popularity's overrated. I prefer infamy. Then not only do they know your name, but they curse it over and over in their sleepless nights.

But no one curses your name...

Participate, and try to make sure that you're actually contributing. Think things through before you say them.
Of course, I'm still not sure what makes them popular.

I don't know of any cases of trying to be popular.

And I don't think being a woman especially helps. They're not any different here.

littlequietguy
2009-07-19, 11:38 AM
Not just here, mind you. Women are popular on pretty much every board that's not totally women oriented.

But the question is, is there a place where it is the other way around?

Rutskarn
2009-07-19, 11:39 AM
Alright, a few people have referred to me as "popular" in the past. These people are at least partially full of it, but if you want a peek inside my bag of tricks, this is about as far as I can reverse-engineer it:

1.) Join. This step is highly recommended.

2.) With your first post, immediately plug another website, thus establishing yourself in the eyes of everyone else as a particularly shameless strain of attentionophage rutskarni.

3.) Begin posting in every thread you see. Actually having anything to say about the matter is irrelevant, as long as you can drop in a brand of unhelpful snark-brand humor and then vanish without a trace.

4.) Start a rivalry with another, more popular forum member.

5.) Stick around a lot.

Warning: Steps 2-4 come extremely anti-recommended. Partially because these aren't actually good ways to become popular, partially because that would be "biting" my "style", as they say.

Geek666: Twilight forums.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:39 AM
Alternatively, be an evil genius.

That's how I do it. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, people just generally get along and are active in topics with broad interest. Some of them are old-timers, but just as many of our "luminaries" are fairly recent additions to the community.

As far as "popularity" goes, I wouldn't even call it that. Rather, there's a broad, amorphous circle of people who have become friends and are familiar with each other. And it varies wildly. The makeup of the Relationships thread, Friendly Banter, Avatar Weeks, Board Issues, Gaming, Arts & Crafts and Media Discussions... all are quite variable.

Except for the mods. They're popular. St. Jude cheats.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:41 AM
It's impossible for the mods NOT to be popular.

EDIT: V:

Recaiden, you just said a cotton pick mouthfull of truth.

As I would say in spanish:

Tienes el hocico atascado de razon!

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 11:41 AM
Except for the mods. They're popular. St. Jude cheats.

Well, it's more like you're afraid to not like them.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-19, 11:42 AM

Yeah, that follows the simple formula for interaction within a male-dominated social group:

Friendly+Bewbs = God Mode
:smalltongue: I'm just sayin'!

Aside from ditching that pesky Y chromosome of yours, popularity on an Internet forum is hard to reach through artificial means. One of the primary things to do is to post frequently enough that your username is recognizable. Secondly, your posts must be awesome as often as possible. A lack of awesome leads to mediocrity, and mediocre folks don't tend to climb social ladders anywhere.
Eventually, the organic social structure of the forum may yield you a leadership role, whether based on your expertise on a particular matter, your overall congeniality, your ability to influence the right people, or just being too darn cute to resist. Pounce on that leadership role and do your best with it. Popularity will flourish.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:43 AM
Well, it's more like you're afraid to not like them.

I'm afraid to not like Alarra... I still think she can Care Bear Stare. :smalleek:

Mordokai
2009-07-19, 11:44 AM
But the question is, is there a place where it is the other way around?

Would that I know. I'd be there already :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 11:45 AM
I'm afraid to not like Alarra... I still think she can Care Bear Stare. :smalleek:
As others are saying about awesometastic posts, this ^ is one of them.

Alarra. She's really a Care Bare. A rogue one.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:45 AM
And you'd like to get well with Roland and Rawhide.

They both are great people and scary mods.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 11:49 AM
Serpie is a very interesting and smart person.Awwww ^_^ Ta

*ahem*

I don't believe in the whole "popularity" thing. There are posters who are well-known, but meh. A lot of them (us?) have built that up over years, and thousands of posts. And, I must say, the sycophanty over some of the supposed "popular" folks... tends to make me like 'em a little less <.<
Now, if you want to "make a name for yourself" or whatever, maybe try one or more of the following (which you may have already):

Use reasonably good punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.
Post a lot. With substance.
Engage with people. Talk to them personally. Start up some banter.
Offer your opinion, advice and/or services wherever you're able to give a positive contribution.
Contribute to the forums. Make avatars, submit art, start interesting threads, start/join in SMBGames...
Be here a long, long time.

Aside from ditching that pesky X chromosome of yoursYou mean Y?

Hell Puppi
2009-07-19, 11:49 AM
Well the dragon cave forums are mostly girls...and by girls I mean underage girls.
Talking about their adorable dragons.

Edit: Or older, married women and their daughters.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:51 AM
alternatively:

BE REASONABLY HANDSOME AND POST PHOTOS IN THE yOU THREAD.

That's sure to win some girls.
If you got some girls with you, you'll get instant popularity.
Granted.
'nuff said.

OverdrivePrime
2009-07-19, 11:53 AM
You mean Y?

:smalleek::smalleek: Good lord, how did I botch that? Yes. Y is what I meant.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:53 AM
Awwww ^_^ Ta

There she is. :smallwink:

Use reasonably good punctuation, spelling, grammar etc.

Golden rule. Please follow it.

You mean Y?

We already know Y. To become more popular! :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 11:54 AM
Huh...

"Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM. "

That's clever of you...

Might just add, on-topic, that complaining/trying to get the so-called "secret", is not a good start. If you care, you're probably not gonna get there.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 11:54 AM
I don't believe in the whole "popularity" thing. There are posters who are well-known, but meh. A lot of them (us?) have built that up over years, and thousands of posts. And, I must say, the sycophanty over some of the supposed "popular" folks... tends to make me like 'em a little less <.<

Everytime you mention this, I snrk a little bit, because, in my eyes, you happen to be one of those obsessed-over popular girls.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 11:55 AM
I don't believe in the whole "popularity" thing.

With substance.

Well, you're one of the most popular people here.:smalltongue:

And I would say that's the number one difference, is the substance of your posts.

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:55 AM

That's clever of you...

:eek: He did it in a future where days are at least three hours longer and hours have at least 73 minutes?

Innis Cabal
2009-07-19, 11:56 AM
Get in good with Rabbit?

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 11:56 AM
Everytime you mention this, I snrk a little bit, because, in my eyes, you happen to be one of those obsessed-over popular girls.

Off the top of my head, Sery, Ego and Em all qualify. I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-19, 11:57 AM
Dragonrider?
Ummm...RHL herself sorta counts...

Edit @ below- I remember an old one of you in snake-skin boots. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 11:58 AM
Everytime you mention this, I snrk a little bit, because, in my eyes, you happen to be one of those obsessed-over popular girls.Pfah. The only time I've posted a photo that got more than a few passing "that's nice"s, it was more than 2 years old :smalltongue: The one I actually really liked and would almost go so far as to say I looked pretty in, was practically ignored :smallfrown: And yes, on the rare occasion it happens to me, it annoys me then, too <.<

Genuine, well-considered praise = o^_^o

Knee-jerk niceness/sycophanty = :smallyuk: :smallsigh:

Mordokai
Golden rule. Please follow it.

OMG STFU n00b!

See, this is what you don't want to use :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin: Please don't shoot me...

Rutskarn

Little bit, m'fraid, Serpy.

No reflection on you, of course. And honestly, I indulge myself in enough idol worship that I don't hold it against people who revere the more popular posters here. Some of the folks here deserve fandoms.

afroakuma
Dragonrider?
Ummm...RHL herself sorta counts...

Modest much?

Some of the folks here deserve fandoms.

I don't think I do, but I apparently have one anyway. :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2009-07-19, 11:59 AM
I believe being calm, friendly and helpful helps turn you more popular.

I blieve I am relatively popular on this forum, at least I'm known and liked.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 11:59 AM
Get in good with Rabbit?

That might require a thread of its own on how to do it.:smalltongue:

@Afro: RHL, perhaps?

@Serpentine: You have good features besides your looks, you know.

Dogmantra
2009-07-19, 12:01 PM
Some of the folks here deserve fandoms.

STOP REFERRING TO YOURSELF IN THIRD PERSON!

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 12:01 PM
@Afro: RHL, perhaps?

Well, I quoted her, so she was already up there. :smallwink:

@Serpentine: You have good features besides your looks, you know.

I think some of the aforementioned knee-jerk sycophants might have informed her of this. At some point. Happens to be true, but there you are.

Does anyone find it amusing that this thread is starting to reinforce the OP's point? :smalltongue:

Jesse Drake
2009-07-19, 12:02 PM
Have you tried to hire someone to start a rumor about you?

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. The mere mention of popularity on these boards just reminds me of High School all over, and we all know how much being popular meant there...

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 12:04 PM
Have you tried to hire someone to start a rumor about you?

I'm sorry, I can't help myself. The mere mention of popularity on these boards just reminds me of High School all over, and we all know how much being popular meant there...

Actually, most of high school is kind of blur for me. I'm fairly sure I slept through most of it. So I really have no idea how popularity works there. So not *everyone* knows.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 12:04 PM
Off the top of my head, Serpy, Ego and Em all qualify. I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting.RHL definitely does, and... I've forgotten her name. And Agamid. But to be fair to the latter, I'd totally hit that <.<

And just to clarify my statement, I don't think it's a matter of "popularity", not on the schoolyard sense. There are no "cool groups". There are, however, posters who are very well known. Take me for example, if you must. Checking my profile now, I joined at the end of June 2006. I have 8,809 posts, for an average of 7.86 posts per day. I think most of those are reasonably substantial and constructive, and I even have a few threads that have had some staying-power (is it time to resurrect the Crush thread yet?). I would be surprised if I wasn't well-known - including, though it always saddens me (especially when it's based on a misunderstanding), people who actually dislike me.

Damn... 3 years. I should've had an anniversary party...

edit: Pfah! Pfah I say! :smalltongue:

Bouregard
2009-07-19, 12:07 PM
I accept bribes:
9,99$ a month and I will like you, post after your post to say how your post helped me to solve the problem in question and, as a special limited offer: I will start pointless threads to worship you!

Just stick around and post, its something earned, not granted.:smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 12:10 PM
Myself, I'm listed as being here for over a year, but I only became active last September. I currently have a posting average of 16.23 posts per day, and am possibly turning into a GITP mallrat. Most of those posts are discussion posts or part of various creative developments, so I hope that they've added something of worth to the community.

Of course, the best way to get popular on GITP is to start your own witty, relevant webcomic and host it on the site. You could get popular enough to sell, like, compilation books, or prequels, or even tie-in merchandise like t-shirts, mugs and a game.

Jesse Drake
2009-07-19, 12:10 PM
Actually, most of high school is kind of blur for me. I'm fairly sure I slept through most of it. So I really have no idea how popularity works there. So not *everyone* knows.

Sorry for my overly general statement, that was only a couple years ago, and as for myself I was a quiet observer of the ridiculous social fiasco that was popularity... The one thing most people thought they wanted.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:12 PM
Then again, High School IS the best example.

Most of the time, the "most popular boy" is not the cool frood, but the guy who is always misterious. Not that you want that, do you?

@Afroakuma:
Yes, I come from another future dimension, and I am posting from that place.

@Serpie:
It's fun, this thing.

And blush, my dear, cause all I said is true.

Dogmantra
2009-07-19, 12:13 PM
I currently have a posting average of 16.23 posts per day,

I have 8,809 posts, for an average of 7.86 posts per day

How do you know these things?

Mr.Moron
2009-07-19, 12:14 PM
Sorry for my overly general statement, that was only a couple years ago, and as for myself I was a quiet observer of the ridiculous social fiasco that was popularity... The one thing most people thought they wanted.

Apparently I had the right idea. You heard it here folks, if you're high school the best thing to do is go into hibernation.

That kind of information is your public profile. Mr. 982 (2.78 posts per day)

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 12:16 PM
See, I've been here a little longer than a year, and have I have 2,424 (5.24 per day) posts, not counting SMBG of various types. I can honestly say that a lot of my posts have been pretty worthless, made just to continue something rather than having anything to contribute. Since I realized that, I've tried to make sure I really have something to say when I post.
Since this is an internet forum, that's best. You have time to check and make sure of what you're going to say, so you should. Just make sure you're being constructive and keep posting, and stick around.

EDIT: I would say I'm best known for my middle-quality avatars and dolls, although I seem liked in the SMBG area.

@Dogmantra, view your public profile. You have 982 posts at 2.78 posts per day. SMBG does not count.

Djinn_in_Tonic
Popular? Define popularity...it's different for the different parts of this forum.

For example, I'm pretty well liked (I think...but others would know better than I) on the Homebrew forum, the Play-by-Post forums (although that's a bigger crowd), and the Art forum (as an avatarist). There are probably some similar reasons (I try to be friendly and polite, my posts are legible, and I have a memorable username and avatar), but each has its own little intricacies that determine whether or not a particular section of GitP likes you. It's not really an all-or-nothing deal, although being well-known in one section definitely helps, as there is some spill-over.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Who knows...maybe I'm secretly hated. :smallbiggrin:

littlequietguy
Geek666: Twilight forums.

I'm a member of the anti-twilight forums!
Those have mostly single females!
*sigh*

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 12:17 PM
@Afroakuma:
Yes, I come from another future dimension, and I am posting from that place.

So that's how you got Zeus. Cheater. :smallyuk:

Technically, we're not supposed to... by the rules we shouldn't discuss them. *prays for cutting of slack*

Djinn: I dunno; out of all the sections, I think Homebrew is one of the most closed-off in terms of leakage.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:18 PM
See, I've been here a little longer than a year, and have I have 2,424 (5.24 per day) posts, not counting SMBG of various types.

You see, they are never taken into account.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-19, 12:19 PM
Apparently I had the right idea. You heard it here folks, if you're high school the best thing to do is go into hibernation.

I read and played a lot of tetris. Didn't work out too well as apparently people I've never even heard of knew my first and last name two years later.
I don't mean in the 'they're nobody' kind of never heard of, I meant they weren't in my friends group, or my classes, nor had I heard their name from anyone else.
It was weird.

@Djinn_In_Tonic- I like you...though the fact that you made me a super-awesome avatar a while ago kind of helps.
But you area very nice person as well. :smallbiggrin:

Edit- Wow this thread really is turning into a confirmation of all the OP said....

averagejoe
2009-07-19, 12:20 PM
It also helps if you have some intuitive idea of how to relate to other people on a social or emotional level.

Not that I bring this up for any particular reason. >.>

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 12:23 PM
You see, they are never taken into account.

I know, I was just clarifying that I post there pretty frequently, but that they are not part of the frequency with which I post.

And no one here wants consideration based on their posts, we're just discussing how popularity might be tied to how often they participate.

@Hell Puppi: I agree completely with everything you said except for the Tetris. Of course, that's usually as far as it goes, knowing your name.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:24 PM
But I thought Tetris was a good thing for mating...:smallfrown:

Quincunx
2009-07-19, 12:26 PM
Intuition schimtuition, it's a learned behavior, I say!

[EDIT: Strongly considering changing my Location field to "Atop the new page"--this is getting uncanny.]

Dragonrider
When I was oh so young in Playground years, a previous thread like this said something along the lines of, "post in Random Banter." I was like, "huh." I had no desire to become popular, but I had theretofore been intimidated by RB and that got me more involved in the community, anyway. I don't know if I'm "popular." Though someone mentioned me up there... :smalleek: Ca-razy.

Edit: I only have 4.7-something posts per day. I'm not prolific.

and @\/: I always thought YOU were a big name.

Raistlin1040
GitP popularity is pretty much the luck of the draw. That's not to say that the people who have it don't deserve it in some way, but a lot of it is luck. Cobra Ikari, on his first day here, had like, something upscale of 100 posts in Random Banter, which solidified his popularity for a very long time. Conversely, I've been here forever, and I'm not particularly popular (note: this is not being self-degrading. I'm fine with this fact.). Post with good spelling and grammar, make interesting posts, and maybe you'll find yourself popular.

Djinn_in_Tonic
Wow this thread really is turning into a confirmation of all the OP said....

Huh...you're right. Odd that most the people posting here are the ones who I'd consider well known across the forums...

That's actually really strange. It's not like it's an elitist community here...I've never seen anyone on this thread just ignore someone who isn't as well known...

So why is this thread going the way it is?

*is confused*

Quincunx
2009-07-19, 12:27 PM
Most of the posters know how to contribute to keeping a discussion going and thus to be a contributing and acknowledged member of the group if only for the mental tickle of "hey, I know that guy". Comes back to that 'social awareness' whatchamahoozie.

Hell Puppi
2009-07-19, 12:27 PM
But I thought Tetris was a good thing for mating...:smallfrown:

Oh I mated all ri-

*cough*

Actually I had it on my graphing calculator, so really it just helped to look like I was actually doing something important.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:28 PM
I don't. Really.

So, help me with the "tetris"?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-19, 12:29 PM
Beats me. I'm well known cuz I've been shedding on the Giant's furniture for years, but like the proverbial hairball I ain't popular. Actually don't really know too well much of anyone here.

Only even posting here cuz I picked a random thread to mess around on until I wake up for the day. Doesn't that make you feel special?

Reinholdt
2009-07-19, 12:30 PM
Well I'm not really sure. But I think being a cute animal might help.
Like say... a kitty.
>>
<<
*meows for pets*

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-19, 12:30 PM
Beats me. I'm well known cuz I've been shedding on the Giant's furniture for years, but like the proverbial hairball I ain't popular. Actually don't really know too well much of anyone here.

I wondered when you'd show up, good sir Tribble! That said, I know I'm a fan of yours...and you really should try to get to know some of the people on the playground. About...oh...99.5% of them are really worth the effort. :smallbiggrin:

Well I'm not really sure. But I think being a cute animal might help.
Like say... a kitty.
>>
<<
*meows for pets*

*gives in and pets Reinholdt*

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 12:31 PM

And then we glance at your sig, filled with contesty goodness, and back to your history on Homebrew, and back to...

etc. :smallamused:

So, the OP has a point, really. Quincunx, there's another one.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 12:32 PM
Quincunx, there's another one.

I think we revere Quin for lack of knowledge of what else to do with her. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 12:32 PM
I wondered when you'd show up, good sir Tribble! That said, I know I'm a fan of yours...and you really should try to get to know some of the people on the playground. About...oh...99.5% of them are really worth the effort. :smallbiggrin:

AHA! there it is! but anyways, gosh, this has only been up for . . . what? 15 minutes

Reinholdt
2009-07-19, 12:34 PM
*purrs*
:smallbiggrin:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-19, 12:35 PM
AHA! there it is! but anyways, gosh, this has only been up for . . . what? 15 minutes

There what is? That I didn't say 100%? That's only because I've run into about three people here who just weren't friendly or polite at all...the three people who, once I gave them a response to their questions or my opinion on their work, immediately started what amounted to a fight with me over my opinion...which was what they were asking for. That's about the only thing I consider irritating on these forums, and those are the only people I don't want to get to know: those who are intentionally antagonistic towards me for no discernible reason.

*purrs*
:smallbiggrin:

Awww...
*scratches under chin*

...great. Now I want to find my cat...:smallbiggrin:

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:36 PM
Truth is, there are many ways, but only one is right for each one.

Raz_Fox
2009-07-19, 12:37 PM
Listen, posters, I'll tell you everything
Though I have to say I don't know much
Talking about a past and future poster
Most call them cool and awesome kings
Far back in the past I saw their kindness
Long before it started I knew their posts
They're the ones who post well and often
It's now your ancient tale begins

I'll echo what the other posters said - post often and post well, keep the feelings of other posters in mind and try to befriend them, and find a niche to excel in.
F'r example, my own humble self is allegedly a legend among God Game players in the RP section for my peerless roleplaying ability and reconciliatory nature.[/shamelessboast] Just find a place where you shine, doing something that you enjoy among people of agreeable company. That'll get you no small amount of notoriety and fame...

Dragonrider
2009-07-19, 12:38 PM
I never leave Friendly Banter...

That's probably not the way to go if you care about your rep. :smalltongue: :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 12:38 PM
Truth is, there are many ways, but only one is right for each one.
Right.
If people say I'm popular (I think I'm just more well known and a woman, which is easily confused for popularity :smalltongue:), I can trace it back to last year's Meetup in JC, where I met many of the old guard and went from unknown to.. whatever I am.
Before then, I had been relatively unknown except for SMBG's and what was then Town.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:39 PM
Punt taken.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-19, 12:39 PM
So apparently I am ''recogniseable'', ''well known'', even ''like-able''(Dear gods, why did my brains translate that to lick-able?:smalleek::smalltongue:), dare I say...''Popular''?

Well what I did was post a lot...With over 7000 posts and around 8 posts a day in something like two years and a couple of months. Not counting SMBG, where I mainly hang out)

Stay around and keep posting I say. As said before good grammar and spelling helps. Don't worry, people here are totally willing to help if you let them. I was a total ''l33Dz0R N00b'' at spelling and grammar when I came here.

And what the other people said >.>
*hides*
I'm not popular, maybe well-known because I totally spam these forums...>.>

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-19, 12:40 PM
those who are intentionally antagonistic towards me for no discernible reason.

*bites your limb of choice off*

What? Didn't say I WANTED to be liked. Fear and respect will do nicely instead.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 12:40 PM

That's probably not the way to go if you care about your rep. :smalltongue: :smallamused:

On the contrary, you're very well known here. In the other sections probably not so much, but you're not there, so why worry?

Reinholdt
2009-07-19, 12:41 PM

D'awww...
*nuzzles and purrs*

afroakuma
Everyone loves the Cookie. You know it.

Where's Sneak, by the way? I would have thought he would pop in by now...

mikeejimbo
I prefer anonymity, myself.

Djinn_in_Tonic

Sorry, but you're a giant ball of fluff. Respect you may deserve, but I'm never going to fear you. Then again, I'm normally represented by smiling, fez-wearing, pink mist in a bottle of tonic water, so I guess I can't talk about inspiring fear. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-07-19, 12:42 PM
On the contrary, you're very well known here. In the other sections probably not so much, but you're not there, so why worry?

Not worried at all because it doesn't trouble me. I was, however, musing on the question. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: @Afro: I haven't seen Sneak in a while. I miss him. :smallfrown:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 12:42 PM

SHIPPING <3

Which reminds me, if I ever get around to finishing this first part of a ship which is Raist/George Harrison, the second part will be something espeeecially for you.

Shipping has its own clique >>

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:43 PM
A pink mist in a bottle of tonic is more prone to be loved.

A furball, even with pointy fangs, is prone to respect but not fearfulness.

An ever changing crimson chameleon is prone to LOLs.

Dallas-Dakota
Something in which I am not even though I occasionaly post ships and usually post. >.>

Nameless
give everyone a cake. Then you#ll be popular.:smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2009-07-19, 12:44 PM
(is it time to resurrect the Crush thread yet?)

No. Threads like these give me complexes.
Only if people actually post crushes.
:smallannoyed:

The Vorpal Tribble
But... but I'm a ball of fluff that can take your head off! That deserves something don't it? I mean, all the carnage and I'm still pettable? I've tried so hard and this is what I get... *sniffs*

RP XP? Hmm? Bing? No? Bloody...

Dragonrider
SHIPPING <3

Which reminds me, if I ever get around to finishing this first part of a ship which is Raist/George Harrison, the second part will be something espeeecially for you.

Shipping has its own clique >>

<3

Okay, yeah, I participate in Shipping. But it grew out of the Crush thread, so it's like an FB haven in the middle of the arty section... :smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-19, 12:45 PM
*pets VT*

Don't worry, you're all fearsome and respectable to me. *huggles and pets*
*giggles*

Crimmy
Nobody will.

So, who likes me, the Crimson and ever-changing chameleon?

[I think there will be more punches than huggles.]

The Vorpal Tribble
Only if people actually post crushes.
What were they doing? Only come over here once in a blue moon

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-19, 12:48 PM
Nobody will.

So, who likes me, the Crimson and ever-changing chameleon?

[I think there will be more punches than huggles.]

Can't say I know you that well, actually. Probably because I'm most active on the Homebrew forums...something that I really should try to diversify.

But... but I'm a ball of fluff that can take your head off! That deserves something don't it? I mean, all the carnage and I'm still pettable? I've tried so hard and this is what I get... *sniffs*

As I said...I'm just pink mist. There's no head to really bite off. But I can quake in fear a little if it would help you feel better...

*quakes slightly*

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-19, 12:50 PM
As I said...I'm just pink mist. There's no head to really bite off. But I can quake in fear a little if it would help you feel better...

*quakes slightly*
No, don't quake, want some of the carbonation left...

*tips bottle and glugs*

Dragonrider
What were they doing? Only come over here once in a blue moon

Every thread morphs into RB.

...and shipping.

That was pretty epic. :smallbiggrin:

Fri
Or, you could simply sell your soul. Hey, it worked for Rustkarn!

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 12:51 PM

That's the magic of the Playground. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-19, 12:51 PM
As a co-creator of Shipping, I can confirm that it was epic.

This has pretty much devolved into RB without time loops....>.> Unless there's a weather discussion coming up...

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:52 PM
Yeah, but now he's, like, the infamous offspring of the Original Troll and Lady Awesome...

Faulty
I got a custom avatar so people could recognize me, and then just posted until a few people started noticing me. You'll probably find threads or forums you're particularly involved in. For example, I post in the Valve thread a lot. If you like Metal, get involved in the Metal thread; if you like helping people out, get involved in the Depression thread; etc.

Dragonrider
That's the magic of the Playground. :smallamused:

...and applies to this one too. Oh dear. :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-19, 12:53 PM
Rookie Baiting?
Redhead Bashing?
Rocketship Building?
Rank Breath?

Seriously, acronyms about a thread I just mentioned never having visited?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-19, 12:53 PM
...and applies to this one too. Oh dear. :smallwink:

Of course. But at least we answered (or attempted to answer...or proved correct...or something) the OP's question first. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-07-19, 12:55 PM
Rookie Baiting?
Redhead Bashing?
Rocketship Building?
Rank Breath?

Seriously, acronyms about a thread I just mentioned never having visited?

Rabid bunnies.

It's all about the jargon, Trib. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-19, 12:56 PM
I think more people recognize my sig and avatar than remember my posts. I posted mostly in SMBG before moving to Friendly Banter. I don't think I'm "popular".

But yeah, post a lot, and eventually you will be recognized. Post well, and eventually you will be "popular".

I'm sure if I took Reinholdt's method and had a kitty avatar sooner I'd be popular though. :smalltongue:

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 12:57 PM
I can foresee the future of this:

This thread has wandered way off course, now.

There is simply too much going on, and nothing is happening, etc.

And then, thread locked...

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 01:01 PM
if you like helping people out, get involved in the Depression thread; etc.

I lurv helping people. Link this thread purdy please

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 01:02 PM
I think more people recognize my sig and avatar than remember my posts. I posted mostly in SMBG before moving to Friendly Banter. I don't think I'm "popular".

No, you are REALLY popular.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-19, 01:02 PM
I can foresee the future of this:

This thread has wandered way off course, now.

There is simply too much going on, and nothing is happening, etc.

And then, thread locked...

If that were the standard, there'd be very few open threads. :smallwink:

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:03 PM
Okay, we all know the "popular kids" (not saying you are children just . . .a joke)
Many of them or artists or other stuff but it seems the other members become "Friends" other the boards with them. On there threads it seems they only talk to a certain few people. Sure they'll have light banter with you but not a real conversation. So. . . heres the question, How does one become popular on the boards? I tried writing short stories but I only had one reader and the stories just . . . died.

How dare you?! I can see what you are doing here! Yes I can see it! You evil bastard!

You planned all this alone, didn't you? Long nights without any sleep to come with this genius plan!

The thread is a trap! I can feel it! You just came up here with to things on your mind!

1) Promoting your stories! You came and said "well... I tried writing short stories... sad me.. sad me..." and we are suppose to say "oh, well... don't cry... I will read them! Where they are?"! That's evil! And I'm sold... Ok where they are?
Ok.. really... the reason stories aren't really popular here is because english isn't the first language to many of us...

2) You came to be popular! YEAH! I CAN SEE IT! You want us to say "Froogleyboy? Who? That guy from the 'popular' thread?"

You evil person! :smallamused:

Lupy
2009-07-19, 01:03 PM
I think that hanging around for a long time is what matters. And not spending *all* your time in one forum unless you only want to be well known there.

I've been hear over a year and a half, but something like 2/3 of my posts are from Town last summer, so I'm not as well known as people much newer than I am.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 01:05 PM

Wait, You actually post? I wasn't aware that you actually participated in threads (and, I know it sounds sarcastic but I'm serious)

Lord Herman
2009-07-19, 01:06 PM
How to get "popular" on Giantitp???

Simple. You put a chicken on your head, hop on one leg, and sing the French national anthem backwards while juggling nine ridiculously oversized cupcakes. For added popularity, the cupcakes should be on fire, and the chicken should be replaced by an angry badger, painted green.

Crimmy

I.
GOT.
THE.
ROLAND.
POSTING!

Woot me!!!

MethosH
Wait, You actually post? I wasn't aware that you actually participated in threads (and, I know it sounds sarcastic but I'm serious)

You should check the "Request an Avatar" thread more often :smallbiggrin:

Reinholdt
2009-07-19, 01:07 PM

But yeah, post a lot, and eventually you will be recognized. Post well, and eventually you will be "popular".

I'm sure if I took Reinholdt's method and had a kitty avatar sooner I'd be popular though. :smalltongue:
Hey now. Let's not accidentally flood the market like the first time I got my real kitty avatar. :smalltongue:

But if it helps, I know you. You're one of my favorite SMBGers from back in my kiss/kill days.

*promotes*

Crimmy
Simple. You put a chicken on your head, hop on one leg, and sing the French national anthem backwards while juggling nine ridiculously oversized cupcakes. For added popularity, the cupcakes should be on fire, and the chicken should be replaced by an angry badger, painted green.

That is one very good way.

Quincunx
Actually, even on the writers' message boards, posting stories is no guarantee that your name will be known--let alone here, where story writers are a subset of a sub-forum. Among the writers and readers, posting humorous stories seems to be the quickest route to name recognition, even more so than posting excellent stories. I haven't cracked the 'Shipping Thread popularity criteria yet, other than a vague feeling that the stories must be received as fantasies and not realistic scenarios, so can't advise you on well-received themes there.

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:09 PM
Holy mother of a blue monkey wearing pants!

I click the "Submit Reply" button and there are already 3 posts before me and one post after me when the page reloads! If this isn't being popular I don't really know what that word means :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 01:10 PM

Hmm . . . I have noticed a lot of kitty avatars

Faulty
2009-07-19, 01:10 PM
I lurv helping people. Link this thread purdy please

It's in Friendly Banter. :smalltongue:

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:11 PM
Actually, even on the writers' message boards, posting stories is no guarantee that your name will be known--let alone here, where story writers are a subset of a sub-forum. Among the writers and readers, posting humorous stories seems to be the quickest route to name recognition.

The problem with writers is that they don't understand de concept of propaganda :smallbiggrin:

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 01:13 PM
There is no such thing as propaganda, amigo.

I mean, come on.

There is no sure way to get popular.

It's, like, I speak english fluently in my school ,and the only "popularity" i get is girls who want me to do their homeworks.
Then again, I'm mean enough to scare them away :smallamused:

And in the US, I'm sure that speaking spanish wouldn't get me more than a bit of offensive looks.

A Rainy Knight
2009-07-19, 01:15 PM
And in the US, I'm sure that speaking spanish wouldn't get me more than a bit of offensive looks.

Unless you have a whole classroom full of people who need your help in Spanish class. :smallamused:

Quincunx
2009-07-19, 01:16 PM
The problem with writers is that they don't understand de concept of propaganda :smallbiggrin:

Writers who understand the concept of propaganda make a nuisance of themselves through commenting on stories; Froogleyboy here is writing them.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 01:18 PM
Unless you have a whole classroom full of people who need your help in Spanish class. :smallamused:

Then I would be mean enough to scare them away, heh.

I just don't like being stepped over.
If they didn't make homewrok right, then get to study, and don't come b******* at me,:smallamused:

Morty
I like to define forum "popularity" as a combination of personal charm, wit and, above all, ability to stand out from the crowd. One can easily be more recognized on a forum than people who have been posting there twice as long.

MethosH
There is no such thing as propaganda, amigo.

I mean, come on.

There is no sure way to get popular.

It's, like, I speak english fluently in my school ,and the only "popularity" i get is girls who want me to do their homeworks.
Then again, I'm mean enough to scare them away :smallamused:

I'm pretty sure "propaganda" is a valid word in english. Despite the fact that is translated to "propaganda" in spanish... and in portuguese :smalltongue:

And yes, there is such thing as propaganda! Just add a link to your signature and what that doing wonders to your thread. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2009-07-19, 01:19 PM

I click the "Submit Reply" button and there are already 3 posts before me and one post after me when the page reloads! If this isn't being popular I don't really know what that word means :smalltongue:

Well, it's a pretty attractive topic. I mean, I don't think anyone joins a forum without at least once thinking "I want to be popular here..."

Mordokai
2009-07-19, 01:20 PM
Another way is to find yourself somebody who will bicker and argue with you all across the forum and make an utter idiot out of you and you out of him in turn. Pretty much guarantees you at least a mediocre popularity and recognizability(yes, I know that's not a real word).

Worked for me quite well :smallbiggrin: Then again, I found the biggest... well, I found somebody willing to put up with all the crap I put forth. And believe me, there's a lot of that :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-07-19, 01:22 PM
No, you are REALLY popular.

Correct. And yes, we do know your avatar well; except you seem to have switched it.

Also: *hides from god-mod*

Kaiser Omnik
2009-07-19, 01:23 PM
Listen, posters, I'll tell you everything
Though I have to say I don't know much
Talking about a past and future poster
Most call them cool and awesome kings
Far back in the past I saw their kindness
Long before it started I knew their posts
They're the ones who post well and often
It's now your ancient tale begins

I'll echo what the other posters said - post often and post well, keep the feelings of other posters in mind and try to befriend them, and find a niche to excel in.
F'r example, my own humble self is allegedly a legend among God Game players in the RP section for my peerless roleplaying ability and reconciliatory nature.[/shamelessboast]

And because of your colorful characters. :smallwink:

Or you can do like me: be a decent GM, start a few games with awesome players, give them a lot of freedom and profit! :smalltongue:

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:23 PM
Well, it's a pretty attractive topic. I mean, I don't think anyone joins a forum without at least once thinking "I want to be popular here..."

Or "hey... I'm not popular at school... maybe I can get popular among my kind.... DAMN! So many nerds! I'm not popular here either..."

Well... Unless your are doing Computer Science or other thing like that... In that case popularity in the playground may be equal to real life popularity :smallbiggrin:

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure "propaganda" is a valid word in english. Despite the fact that is translated to "propaganda" in spanish... and in portuguese :smalltongue:

And yes, there is such thing as propaganda! Just add a link to your signature and what that doing wonders to your thread. :smallbiggrin:

I did that.
No one ever visited my deviant.

I had to star a complete thread for Deviantart for me to get some watch.

Haruki-kun
2009-07-19, 01:26 PM
Or "hey... I'm not popular at school... maybe I can get popular among my kind.... DAMN! So many nerds! I'm not popular here either..."

Well... Unless your are doing Computer Science or other thing like that... In that case popularity in the playground may be equal to real life popularity :smallbiggrin:

I never really wanted to be popular at school.... it draws a lot of people away from you, from what I've seen.

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:28 PM
I did that.

Have you tried an image with that link? People like colorful and shine things. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2009-07-19, 01:30 PM
I did that.

It needs to be attractive. Trust me, text links don't work so well. A funny or interesting image does the trick nicely.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
I don't post near as often as I used to, and I didn't post all that frequently back then, either. How did I get into the vagueness of popularity again?

Oh right. I suggest having a long, instantly recognizable name. And a bit of obsessiveness for when things start to actually happen around you.

Crimmy
Nope.

I have many many colorful things on my siggie, and have had that link for a long time on images.

Never worked.

I never really wanted to be popular at school.... it draws a lot of people away from you, from what I've seen.

True that.

Ichneumon
2009-07-19, 01:34 PM
I discovered, because they told me later, I was secretely very popular, behind my back, with a lot of girls because I "was never mean to people".

I'd be more happy with this if those girls had actually decided to talk to me. or more

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:35 PM

You are not fooling anyone! It's like a poor guys saying that money doesn't bring happiness! You always wanted to be loved by the hole world :smallbiggrin:

Nope.

I have many many colorful things on my siggie, and have had that link for a long time on images.

Never worked.

All I can say is... you unlucky bastard :smalltongue:

On an unrelated note... I need to stop calling people "bastard".

Haruki-kun
2009-07-19, 01:36 PM
You are not fooling anyone! It's like a poor guys saying that money doesn't bring happiness! You always wanted to be loved by the whole world :smallbiggrin:

That, I did. I would much rather have had people like me than dislike me. But Love =/= Popularity.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 01:38 PM
All I can say is... you unlucky bastard :smalltongue:

On an unrelated note... I need to stop calling people "bastard".

Nah, I don't mind it, at least.

Indeed, unlucky I am.

MethosH
2009-07-19, 01:40 PM
Nah, I don't mind it, at least.

Indeed, unlucky I am.

If I don't stop I'm afraid people will start thinking I'm an english bastard! :smallbiggrin:

pflare
2009-07-19, 01:41 PM
I got it!

Nothing more.

At least, I believe so.

I believe so too. Good advice.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 01:51 PM
Have we mentioned being a sexually attractive female humanoid?

I feel that has certainly helped some people. Don't think anyone really used it as a stepping stone to enslave our hearts and minds though.

Pyrian
2009-07-19, 01:53 PM
So. . . heres the question, How does one become popular on the boards?Post a lot. Then, put a hot picture up in the You thread. (Contrary to popular opinion, this works for guys, too, here.)

I don't know if I'm "popular.":smallconfused: Really? Something like a third of the forum adores you, and another third loves you. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 01:54 PM
In fact, I even proposed to her! :smalltongue:

Lord_Gareth
2009-07-19, 01:56 PM
I'd listen to the previous advice about being yourself. I also find that it helps to cut loose - this is the internet. There's no point in getting embarassed about anything on it, y'know? Unless someone exposes the fact that you like to dress up as a Catholic schoolgirl and sing Elton John songs. That's pretty damn embarassing, frankly.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 02:02 PM
Unless you look hot in a catholic schoolgirl outfit or you're getting paid good money. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2009-07-19, 02:11 PM
Yeah, see, I was under the impression that you don't really have to DO anything other than follow basic courtesies and, you know, post. :smalltongue: I think some folks probably know me or recognize me (mostly from the Gaming sections), but I've never actively tried to make myself look good or anything.

My secret? I post in the sections that interest me (Roleplaying Games, Homebrew, and occasionally Friendly Banter and Other Games), I ignore people that are argumentative or purposefully try to bait people into fights (note, for instance, that I've almost NEVER posted in any of the "Edition Wars" threads, despite having several things I'd like to say and several posters I'd like to tell off), and I try to be polite and generally nice to folks whenever I can be.

EDIT: Also, for the love of all that is holy, 156 posts in THREE HOURS? :smalleek:

Lord Herman
2009-07-19, 02:13 PM
EDIT: Also, for the love of all that is holy, 156 posts in THREE HOURS? :smalleek:

Then I guess the OP should try to do whatever it is his thread did to get so popular. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 02:16 PM
We like our beautiful people Beautiful People! a lot in these parts.

Just look at the cult of Rabbit, for instance. Or the whole Female Quintumvirate or whatever it was called when they were discussing how to divide the forums and spoils and other booty between them.

The mods get a fair bit of press and there's no such thing as bad press, y'know, so they just have to play a bit of a character and that's golden to stick in our minds.

I mean, Alarra's our slightly tipsy grandmama or something (never was quite clear on that really) and Roland's a ******* gunslinger, so, y'know, that's pretty cool, especially with some of the avatars he's had done up for him.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-19, 02:21 PM
Just look at the cult of Rabbit, for instance. Or the whole Female Quintumvirate or whatever it was called when they were discussing how to divide the forums and spoils and other booty between them.

I don't have a cult! D= Just people who will become fodder in my war on sanity mwahahaha

And the..I can't remember what it was called. But, it was like, Me, Ego, DeeRee, and Curly, I think.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 02:23 PM
Where's Sneak, by the way? I would have thought he would pop in by now...

He left the country and is temporarily without internet, right?

And um, cult of Rabbit?:smalleek:

I only see 3 of the mods ever participate, but they are of course, popular, through fear, kindness, or helpfulness.

EDIT: Ninja-ed by her herself. That group sounds okay.

Player_Zero
2009-07-19, 02:23 PM
Start a rivalry with another, more popular forum member.

You used me Rutskarn. I'll never love again.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 02:24 PM
:smalltongue: Don't worry, Rabbs, I still loves ya. I mean, it took awhile to take hold in the first place and I was kinda scared at your legions of adoring fans at first, but the brain slugs have helped immensely.

I still proposed to DeeRee first though, so, sorry.:smallredface: If it's any consolation she didn't even react to the bait for the joke I was planning to play off of it.
Oh yeah, writing a sordid tale in the shipping thread that captures the imagination and horrifies the entire forum is pretty good too. I think that's the only reason any of you know who I am anyway. :smallamused:

Then again... I do seem to post far too much, what with all of the little coidzors looking at me with judgment in their eyes whenever I've been the most recent poster in 5 or 6 threads.:smallfrown:

I think it was just called the Gynocracy, RHL, at least, when I encountered you reminiscing about it after the fact.

Nameless
2009-07-19, 02:47 PM
We should all start our own cult, and it should be about worshiping me and my awesome! And it shall be called... The Order of the Fez! BWOHAHAHAHAAA!!!
*Ahem* >_>

Kaelaroth
2009-07-19, 02:48 PM
How to be popular?
Lie, dear. Pretend to someone you're not, it's really rather easy.
Or be truthful; but that's less fun, eh?
Or just, as many have suggested, be a woman RHL, and/or chuck a load of quietly suggestive content out there.
Or RP well in FFRP.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 03:04 PM
We should all start our own cult, and it should be about worshiping me and my awesome! And it shall be called... The Order of the Fez! BWOHAHAHAHAAA!!!
*Ahem* >_>

no . . . I started a cult fanclub of Kara and got an infraction

Faulty
2009-07-19, 03:08 PM
You used me Rutskarn. I'll never love again.

I'm here for you baby.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-07-19, 03:08 PM
The Order of the Fez! BWOHAHAHAHAAA!!!
*Ahem* >_>

Hey! Get your own signature headgear! This Djinni ain't giving his fez to anyone. :smallbiggrin:

Lupy
2009-07-19, 03:09 PM
I propose an Order of the Mitre! :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-07-19, 03:10 PM
Hey! Get your own signature headgear! This Djinni ain't giving his fez to anyone. :smallbiggrin:

But I have a real fez. :smalltongue:

Cryssandra
2009-07-19, 03:10 PM

Haha... I actually think that this thread is popular because so many of us have asked (or are asking) the same question....

Player_Zero
2009-07-19, 03:12 PM
I'm here for you baby.

Don't think you can take advantage of me. You're just like all the others.

Rutskarn
2009-07-19, 03:58 PM
I.
GOT.
THE.
ROLAND.
POSTING!

Woot me!!!

Oh, it's not hard to get a post from Roland. It's just tricky being around to celebrate afterwards.

Also: Don't pretend you didn't know what this was, Zero. The insults we shared were fleeting as a whiff of lilac in an English gale.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 04:22 PM
But the unholy children you spawned will yet be born anew from the Homebrew section.

Demi-sapients.

...indeed, you're right about the being able to enjoy it afterwards if you get Roland to post.

Who is this Kara Kuro that is so popular and why have I never seen her/him/it?

rubakhin
2009-07-19, 04:22 PM
Post often and bring something insightful to the thread every time you post. Quantity + quality = success!

It also helps if you're kind of sexual, and not only if you're a woman. People like sexy, confident people. :smallamused:

Hell Puppi
2009-07-19, 04:25 PM
That's not fair advice because you are, in fact, sexy rubakhin :smalltongue:

That and you're an amazing writer. I just don't want you giving the boy false hope.:smallwink:

Player_Zero
2009-07-19, 04:31 PM
Also: Don't pretend you didn't know what this was, Zero. The insults we shared were fleeting as a whiff of lilac in an English gale.

Don't think you can hide behind pretty words and come out on top.

Also, being popular is as easy as being yourself. And knowing is half the battle.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 04:34 PM
You're right though. There is this weird flirtation with the sexual that we have going on here.

potatocubed
2009-07-19, 04:36 PM
I.
GOT.
THE.
ROLAND.
POSTING!

Woot me!!!

When I look at it, this post has the time stamp

"Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM."

:smallconfused:

chiasaur11
2009-07-19, 04:37 PM

Hey, Roland isn't restricted to our petty laws of space and time.

PhoeKun
2009-07-19, 04:37 PM
Post a lot. Then, put a hot picture up in the You thread. (Contrary to popular opinion, this works for guys, too, here.)

You have to actually be pretty, though. People will still be nice to you if you aren't, but you won't have the drawing power of a beautiful person.

Case in point: look how popular I'm not. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-19, 04:39 PM

The new fad is to place a fake edit tag in your signature.

arguskos
2009-07-19, 04:39 PM
Popularity on GitP relies on folk knowing you exist. If they don't know you exist, you aren't popular. Seems easy enough to me. Also, I don't really exist.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-07-19, 04:42 PM
Lengthy post and waste of words eliminated to save space. Have a nice day.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 04:42 PM
You have to actually be pretty, though. People will still be nice to you if you aren't, but you won't have the drawing power of a beautiful person.

Case in point: look how popular I'm not. :smalltongue:

And here I thought you were one of those people who were popular from doing that and you just sort of had petered off and gotten married in a way that confused the playground as to how to respond for long enough that it collectively hung for about 6 seconds and that you've mostly gone into lurk mode or something except for rarer appearances.

You still seem to be fairly well regarded by everyone who met you back when you were a regular fixture rather than a sight that's worth taking note of due to its perceived rarity.

Bor does make a good story. I wonder how is as a roast or grill master... mmmm... Bor's roast boar....:smallamused: *drools*

The new fad is to place a fake edit tag in your signature.

Wiggy whack attack.

MethosH
2009-07-19, 04:51 PM

Wait... What..? Why? :smallconfused:

Trog
2009-07-19, 04:54 PM
The first rule about cultclub is you don't talk about cultclub. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-19, 04:58 PM

I am also confused.

Groups convened in good fun to enact a fantasy of some sort are also acceptable. For example, "churches" to various characters, persons, or causes (provided they don't directly duplicate a real-world religion), fan clubs, contests, roleplaying exercises, etc.
Confused, me is.

lord of kobolds
2009-07-19, 05:08 PM
Post a lot.

This is the route I took. I just went on the SMBGs every day, sometimes more than once a day, and people will just begin to think of you as being a permanent part of the playground. New members will be looking through the threads and see you appearing alot, and they will look to you for help because they think you are experienced. I was personally shocked when I got my first pupil (luv ya Lemming!), but I gotta say, it feels great.

Dogmantra
2009-07-19, 05:11 PM
This is the route I took.

No it's not. The Route you took was being awesome.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-19, 05:12 PM
This is the route I took. I just went on the SMBGs every day, sometimes more than once a day, and people will just begin to think of you as being a permanent part of the playground. New members will be looking through the threads and see you appearing alot, and they will look to you for help because they think you are experienced. I was personally shocked when I got my first pupil (luv ya Lemming!), but I gotta say, it feels great.
Wait...People get pupils...?

I never had one..>.>

Trog
2009-07-19, 05:20 PM
Wait...People get pupils...?

I never had one..>.>

Trog blames your googly eyes with their indistinct ocular anatomy for this.

Mr. Moon
2009-07-19, 06:11 PM
I wonder if I'm still allowed to post in this thread. After all, how long has it been since my last post outside of SMBG? If you answered "far too damn long MC, where the fork have you been?", your absolutely right! Moon Called, tell 'em what they won!
"Well, Saphire, they've won a huggle. Yay." :smallannoyed:
That's absolutely right! Why am I talking like this? I don't know! =D *massive glomp attack!*

Oh dear, giant appears rock have eaten half my post. Where was I? Ah yes, fame no Moon Called. This pain staking process requires access to a time machine. If you don't have one, I'm afraid you're outta luck, my friend.
Once you have a time machine, go back three or four years and join Giant out of sheer boredom. Then join a fledging SMBG organization before it gets popular. Post a lot in SMBG and FB, and while doing so be compleatly immature for the first two years. Tricking people into viewing desturbing anime fanart was how I did it. (Which I am terribly sorry for. Mostly.) Later on, join the growing family fad and get as many siblings as possible. Then, discover MSN and slowely let it draw you away...

... Damn, I feel egotistical writing all that. >.>

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 06:16 PM
I wonder if I'm still allowed to post in this thread. After all, how long has it been since my last post outside of SMBG? If you answered "far too damn long MC, where the fork have you been?", your absolutely right! Moon Called, tell 'em what they won!
"Well, Saphire, they've won a huggle. Yay." :smallannoyed:
That's absolutely right! Why am I talking like this? I don't know! =D *massive glomp attack!*

I'd take the huggle or the glomp attack, and I only barely got to see you before you vanish-ed. :smalltongue:

Jalor
2009-07-19, 06:22 PM
The irony of it all is that you're now a household (forum-hold, rather) name. Possibly because you've drawn the unpopular people like moths to a flame. You are now "the one who says what everyone was thinking". It's the status I hold amongst my RL friends, so I suppose that gives me the right to bestow it upon you. Or something.

Despite my clearly defined persona, I remain unknown. Even after "Get To Know A Playgrounder". Looks like it's off to SMBG with me...

Mr. Moon
2009-07-19, 06:22 PM
Yay, huggles! ^^ *huggle*

You'll have to blame BR and Inigo for the vanishing. It's their fault. Not mine. Really. *nodnod*

Edit: I'm a forumwide name? Really? I always figured at best that I was somewhere between kinda-liked and tolerates. That is so awesome. ^^

A Rainy Knight
2009-07-19, 06:29 PM
I've definitely heard of you, Moon Called, even if I don't really know you. At all. Anyways, you always seemed pretty well-known to me.

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 06:35 PM
Yay, huggles! ^^ *huggle*

You'll have to blame BR and Inigo for the vanishing. It's their fault. Not mine. Really. *nodnod*

Edit: I'm a forumwide name? Really? I always figured at best that I was somewhere between kinda-liked and tolerates. That is so awesome. ^^

Yay! *huggles back* BR? Bush Ranger? Inigo Montoya? Hmm... What shall we have to do to them?

I think you and Wolfbane were sort of like the iconic male and female great-sword avatars on the forum for a good run there. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-07-19, 06:41 PM
I don't have a cult! D= Just people who will become fodder in my war on sanity mwahahaha

And the..I can't remember what it was called. But, it was like, Me, Ego, DeeRee, and Curly, I think.

The Ebil Overlords?

I still proposed to DeeRee first though, so, sorry.:smallredface: If it's any consolation she didn't even react to the bait for the joke I was planning to play off of it.

Ha ha. I'd forgotten about that. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2009-07-19, 06:59 PM
@Rainy: I could say exactly the same of you. Isn't it funny how that works?

@Coidy: Weeeeell, considering that BR is my forum brother and Inny is my good friend/RP partner...
Something that involves a rabid giraffe.

Oh, that reminds me, Wolfy comes home to us soon. You'll have to ask Happy Turtle for when exactly.
So pretty soon you'll have your icons back.:smallamused:

Lupy
2009-07-19, 07:04 PM
Huh, I always considered you very well known Moon Called.

I remember that thread about you getting a computer still. >.> I liked that thread.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 07:08 PM

Of course! Everyone knows you. Well, unless they just joined.

Eon
2009-07-19, 07:10 PM
I'm not popular here seeing as I'm pretty new and I'm not popular in real life. life is much simpler when the eyes of everyone are not on you. That's all I can really say from talking to several of my friends who are or have been popular.

As you can probably see... most will not notice this post...

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 07:10 PM
The Ebil Overlords?
That too...
Ha ha. I'd forgotten about that. :smallbiggrin:
Hah. I didn't even know you noticed it. :smalltongue: By the way, you still need to give me an answer about that.

Hmm... I wonder why I haven't seen Happy Turtle in like, forevers ago.

MC-Fluffy Pants... Rabid Giraffes, you say? What about Rabid masked Giraffe-Llamas? Though first we'd need to get Atreyu really, really, really drunk....

Mr. Moon
2009-07-19, 07:11 PM
Really? Good.
'Cause I'll actually be able to afford it soon, and I still want a computer (well, actually a lappy) that I made myself.

>>
<<
Hint hint.

@Recy: Oh lawd. My ego. It swells.

^^

Also, typing on a touch. Not fun.

@Coidy: You, sir, are a genious. Do you have access to a factory of robot mice? Because I think I'm getting an idea...

Coidzor
2009-07-19, 07:14 PM
Really? Good.
'Cause I'll actually be able to afford it soon, and I still want a computer (well, actually a lappy) that I made myself.

>>
<<
Hint hint.

^^

Also, typing on a touch. Not fun.

What? typing on a touch? A touchscreen? Wut?

Also, how would you be putting together a laptop yourself? I can see putting together a deck in a tower format but... lappies? :smallconfused:

Mr. Moon
2009-07-19, 07:26 PM
Lawl, this conversation is breaking down so hard. *snickers*

One of those fashy iPod Touch things. I'm camping, mom brought hers, the campsite has wifi, and am actually happy living in a tent for once.

I have no clue, I'm just assuming it's possible and I've just turned this thread into RB. >>

Dispozition
2009-07-19, 07:27 PM
See...I used to be a 'popular' poster, mainly thanks to my furious post rate and my sub-par avatars. These days because I post a lot less, only the people with a join date before about midday through 2007 know me fairly well, unless they lurk the A&C forum, since that's pretty much the only place I post regularly now.

Anyway...To get popular...Be yourself. If people like you, you'll get more popular...If they don't, you'll still get popular but in a bad way...

Why am I even posting in this thread anyway?

Felixaar
2009-07-19, 07:41 PM
My first piece of advice is to start copying me in every way... :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 07:49 PM
My first piece of advice is to start copying me in every way... :smalltongue:

That was pretty much my first thought when I saw that you had posted in this thread, even before reading that. Guess it proves it, huh?

Faceist
2009-07-19, 07:57 PM
You don't want to be popular. Popular people have an increased chance of being shot. I recommend you remain in the shadows at every available opportunity, only to rise up and seize power after the Great Flood (herein represented as a mass murder of popular people). Remember, "the meek shall inherit the earth".

Felixaar
2009-07-19, 07:58 PM
That was pretty much my first thought when I saw that you had posted in this thread, even before reading that. Guess it proves it, huh?

Fah. I highly doubt that I'm popular enough to be worthy of copy-catting, and that never works anyway.

But I do enjoy having a huge ego >D

Froogleyboy
2009-07-19, 07:59 PM
You don't want to be popular. Popular people have an increased chance of being shot. I recommend you remain in the shadows at every available opportunity, only to rise up and seize power after the Great Flood (herein represented as a mass murder of popular people). Remember, "the meek shall inherit the earth".

that'd be true if this was real life and I wasn't typing from a cell phone

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 08:01 PM
Aaaah, but how do we know that?
Hm?
Hm?!
HMMM?!!

Eon
2009-07-19, 08:28 PM
notice how my point from the previous page has been proven.

mangosta71
2009-07-19, 10:41 PM
Late to the party, but here's how you get popular on GitP:

Step 1: be a girl. Being pretty is optional.

Step 2: post pictures of yourself in the You thread

Step 3: ???

Step 4: profit

Faulty
2009-07-19, 10:43 PM
Late to the party, but here's how you get popular on the internets:

Step 1: be a girl. Being pretty is optional.

Step 2: post pictures of yourself in the You thread

Step 3: ???

Step 4: profit

Fixed it for you.

FdL
2009-07-19, 10:43 PM
This kinda thing just...happens.
You can't really try.

Quoted for truth. I was going to say that.
I guess it helps if they are cute and post at least one pic.

Then I think it helps to post a lot, and more I think if it's in places of high exposure like Silly Games, the free form roleplaying places like the acronyms, and the crafts section. That will also help you associate with those who are already popular.

The mods shouldn't be popular, at least not because of their mod status. I've always thought it was weird that they are mods and also that they post more or less like regular people. In any case, I really like one of them (Alarra) so I don't want to generalize.

Huh...

Same here, I thought it was me. Even, the first post shows:

"Last edited by Kara Kuro : Tomorrow at 12:22 AM."

when Kara didn't even write it herself (?) Forumplosion?

Pfah. The only time I've posted a photo that got more than a few passing "that's nice"s, it was more than 2 years old :smalltongue: The one I actually really liked and would almost go so far as to say I looked pretty in, was practically ignored :smallfrown: And yes, on the rare occasion it happens to me, it annoys me then, too <.<

I really don't think that's what happens when you post photos, but well.

Also, to be honest I sometimes refrain myself from posting positive comments on your photos, which I actually like, because I don't feel like you acknowledge them.

And just to clarify my statement, I don't think it's a matter of "popularity", not on the schoolyard sense. There are no "cool groups".

I totally see there are "cool people" groups, actually. But it could be me seeing that because I'm not in one of them.

When I was oh so young in Playground years, a previous thread like this said something along the lines of, "post in Random Banter."

Yeah, that should work. Post a lot in RB and maybe get your own thread should help. Of course, you already need to post a lot to catch up with RB, it's really fast nowadays.

Right.
If people say I'm popular (I think I'm just more well known and a woman, which is easily confused for popularity :smalltongue:), I can trace it back to last year's Meetup in JC, where I met many of the old guard and went from unknown to.. whatever I am.
Before then, I had been relatively unknown except for SMBG's and what was then Town.

Going to meetups could help too. And actually I think you weren't this popular back when I first met you with a different username...

Wouldn't that mean you're being used, as opposed to being popular?

I got it!

Nothing more.

At least, I believe so.

No, I don't think so...I don't feel like expanding, but some people act the way they are and no one likes them, or notices them.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 10:48 PM
Well, yeah, but at least you wont be a lie.

You'll be as truthful as ever, even if people don't like you.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 10:54 PM

But it does to some people. A picture of just my shoes was more popular than a picture of me.:smallsigh:

But why is that such a good thing. Truths can be bad, painful. Be the mask.

Crimmy
2009-07-19, 11:00 PM
Be the mask, face the dissapointment.

Another great phrase.

As for me, I posted some photos [2 to be exact] and I still don't get fab-known.
Then again, I'm no Hollywood actor, so, meh.

Recaiden
2009-07-19, 11:04 PM
Be the mask, face the dissapointment.

Another great phrase.

I never claimed that it was a good idea. Just the opposite option.
I advice to be yourself, but make sure that it's the self you want to be.

Lappy9000
2009-07-19, 11:05 PM
You don't want to be popular. Popular people have an increased chance of being shot.Th-the horror! Each time I post, my count goes up :smalleek:

It's an endless cycle! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH*runs around frantically (and rather ridiculiously) in a circle*

FdL
2009-07-19, 11:08 PM

Sure! Well, personally I don't have any interest in being popular. I don't like the concept.
Of course I would like if everyone liked me, but that's not how it happens in life.

But it does to some people. A picture of just my shoes was more popular than a picture of me.:smallsigh:

Yeah, happens to a lot of us, dunno.

SinisterPenguin
2009-07-19, 11:28 PM
While I, being the walking antithesis of popularity that I am, am probably not the most knowledgeable person about this sort of thing, logically the best ways to become popular would probably be:

A.) Post a lot, and post often.

B.) Post things that are memorable. This part is very important; even if you do post a lot, if your posts aren't actually interesting people will pretty much take no notice you.

Same here, I thought it was me. Even, the first post shows:

"Last edited by Kara Kuro : Tomorrow at 12:22 AM."

when Kara didn't even write it herself (?) Forumplosion?

Hey, I hadn't noticed that. What ever could be going on? :smallconfused:

Icewalker
2009-07-19, 11:35 PM
Question is how much people recognize you, though. I like to think that I used to have some measure of a reputation as significant homebrewer along with a couple other people, although I've made NOTHING in far too long because I've been working pretty exclusively on my campaign. Once I post it I'll start up general creating again. Also I'll post it, which will be somewhere between 150 and 200 pages (on paper), so I don't know how much of the beginning of the thread it'll take. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-07-19, 11:39 PM
Joking aside: it doesn't work to think about being "popular" on these forums. The forums are like High School in at least one respect--people travel in circles, and nobody's heard of you if you're outside your circles. When I was in High School, I didn't know the football captain's name. I wasn't in any of his classes, and he wasn't in any of my groups.

I'm sure there are some big names in Shipping, or Fan Comicry, that I don't know about because I've never been over there.

Now, some people do leave their grooves a little deeper, and make echoes that you can hear from the next circle over, but that's just because they've been at it for a long time, they've participated at a lot of things, or they're just good at what they do.

Moreover, being one of these people is overrated. As long as your circles know you exist, nothing else really matters.

Serpentine
2009-07-19, 11:41 PM

Also, to be honest I sometimes refrain myself from posting positive comments on your photos, which I actually like, because I don't feel like you acknowledge them.Don't I? Hmm. I should fix that... I think that sometimes by the time I go back, the conversation's moved on. Or, I give a general "thanks" to people who said nice things. Or, I just can't think of anything to say *shrug*

I totally see there are "cool people" groups, actually. But it could be me seeing that because I'm not in one of them.There are people who are closer friends with each other than with other people. This makes sense, it's just normal. If you have a group of people who have been here a long time, have interacted a lot with each other, and have picked up various bits of information on each other for years, of course they're going to "click" better, interact more, have inside jokes and get along better than with a newer person. That doesn't mean they're "the cool kids" or some sort of elite. It just means they know each other. It just happens.

Incidentally, I think I've noticed a few people who have complained about their lack of popularity or attention or supposed exclusion from the so-called "elite" who have only gained the "acceptance" they apparently want so badly once they've given up their whinging. It's a lot easier to be awesome when you're not whining all the time about how people don't think you're awesome *shrug*

Thes Hunter
2009-07-19, 11:43 PM
One person's 'popular' is another person's stuck up jerk. :smallwink:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2009-07-19, 11:46 PM
Puns. Makes all the girls want you and all the guys want to be you:smallcool:
Swoon after the pun to confuse people you whit text reader!
The longer they are, with the least satisfying punchline the better:smallamused:

"There once was a sailor was caught AWOL as he tried to sneak on board his ship at about 3 am. The chief petty officer spied him and ordered the sailor to stop.
Upon hearing the sailor's lame explanation for his tardiness, the officer ordered the sailor, "Take this broom and sweep every link on this anchor chain by morning or it's the brig for you!"
The sailor began to pick up the broom and commence performing his charge. As he began to sweep, a tern landed on the broom handle. The sailor yelled at the bird to leave, but it didn't. The lad picked the tern off the broom handle, and tossed it out of his way. The bird left, only to return and light once again on the broom handle, and was once again tossed overboard.
The sailor went through the same routine all over again, with the same result. He couldn't get any cleaning done because he can only sweep at the chain once or twice before the blasted bird returns.
When morning came, so did the chief petty officer, to check up on his wayward sailor.
"What in the heck have you been doing all night? This chain is no cleaner than when you started! What have you to say for yourself, sailor?" barked the chief.
"Honest, chief," came the reply, "I tossed a tern all night and couldn't sweep a link!""

:smallbiggrin: See, already there is thousands of admiring fans with fire, and um, pitchforks? Obviously a new way to show reverence I've not heard about! I'll just wait in this windmill...

white text already used above!

((Personally I enjoy those who like a laugh, and are generally not so serious. However I do often appreciate reading some of the more deeper things, I just leave them off my drive by punning list:smallwink: I think name and avatar is useful in the way I can recall who said things, often I think "awesome point" or "that person seems like a well to do being/human/creature from the neverworlds", but I may forgot who they are if I can't make connections in my mind))

dogmac
2009-07-19, 11:46 PM
OK, I'm not one of the cool kids on here, but I have been accused of being in a clique on many many MANY other forums.

Basically, your rule of thumb is you will get out of a forum what you put into it.

So if you want to be popular you have to do the following things

a) Listen to other people, and comment constructively proving that you have listened
b) Post interesting threads
c) Don't be bitchy
d) Take notice of the other people on the threads so you can talk sensibly to them about things.
e) Don't pretend to be something you are not.

It takes a lot of work. You can't get popular on every forum you are on. Nor should you want to, because otherwise you wouldn't get anything else done.

But yup, rule of thumb, you get out what you put into it.

Here, I put into the Girl Genius thread (a bit, not like Mauve shirt or anything) and an occassional smartarse comment. That would be why I never get pm's :D

V'icternus
2009-07-19, 11:48 PM
Hey, wait! I've figured it out!

All you have to do to be popular is post on this thread right here!

All the cool kids are doing it, so it must be the "in" thing to do.

On a more serious note to the OP, and others who want to be well known... It's not that great. In Primary School, everyone knew my name, though I don't know why, how, or even who they were. When I was on another site, I became known because I gave up my actual life and lived on that forum and gathered over 10,000 posts, rapidly outstripping all but one other forumgoer...
The point is, it's never what you think it'll be. No, not even then. It's just... more "meh".

Then again, that might just be me. But whatever you do, don't try and get popular. Try and have fun.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-20, 12:05 AM
This looks like a good place to ask a few questions. What are the SMBG and Town forums?

I looked around and discovered what Shipping is and afterwards decided I didn't want to venture into strange and unknown corners of the playground.

No offense intended to the...Shippers? Just not my thing and wasn't expecting it.

Recaiden
2009-07-20, 12:08 AM
This looks like a good place to ask a few questions. What are the SMBG and Town forums?

I looked around and discovered what Shipping is and afterwards decided I didn't want to venture into strange and unknown corners of the playground.

No offense intended to the...Shippers? Just not my thing and wasn't expecting it.

Silly Message Board Games. Bottom forum. Town is one of the 4 main Free Form Roleplaying Games here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32).

SDF
2009-07-20, 12:12 AM
How I got popular:
I didn't.

Oh well, there is always the real world.

Rutskarn
2009-07-20, 12:14 AM
Puns. Makes all the girls want you and all the guys want to be you:smallcool:

The longer they are, with the least satisfying punchline the better:smallamused:

I know a joke like that.

There once was a soldier, a grizzled veteran of many wars against the foreign Dantar and Eppian tribes. And as he fought, he made many sacrifices--he lost an eye to a spear, his teeth to a gauntlet, and his trusty sword grew pitted and rusted. Then the war ended, and he was adrift, known everywhere as the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword.

One day, he decides he needs something to complete him--a wife. He thinks on the matter, then decides that a soldier of his stature deserves only the best--the flaxen-haired daughter of the king himself. And so, determined as he was to win the king's daughter, he went to the castle.

As he arrived, he told the royal arranger, "I want to see the king."

The arranger said, "the king is seeing nobody."

And he said, "Not even the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword?"

And the arranger asked: "Well, that depends. Are you the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said: "Yes. Yes, I am the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword."

The arranger said, "Alright, then, he can see you."

And so the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword stepped into the king's chambers. The king regarded him regally--as kings do--and asked him, "What business have ye here, o man of a single eye, a single tooth, and a withered blade?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said, "Well, my lord, I wondered if I might have your daughter in marriage."

The king said nothing at first, lost in thought. Finally, he said, "Well, soldier, this is quite a difficult request. Truly, you are valorous. You have slain many men of Dantar and Eppian in your day. Still...my daugher is a fair jewel. There are few of her like out there. There are, however, many suitors--many of whom have both eyes, and many teeth, and swords that gleam like sunlight."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword grinned his one-toothed grin, and winked his single eye. "Well, my lord, I may have one eye, and I may have one tooth, and my sword might be rusted and old, but my one eye is good, and my one tooth is sharp, and my sword has never failed me yet. I promise you, my lord--all of these may yet serve you well."

And the king thought on this. Finally, he said, "Well..."

"Very well, solider, I will give you your chance. I will let you try for the hand of my daughter. But before I am convinced of your worth, you must complete for me three tasks. Do you understand?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword nodded, and grinned, and cried, "Yes!"

The king smiled benevolently, as kings do, and said: "Alright, then. Here is your first task.

"The Eppians have acquired a saintly relic--a chalice made of silver, once possessed by Saint Crane. You must go behind lines and retrieve for me this chalice."

And so, the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword set off for Eppian lands.

It took him many days and nights to cross the dunes to Eppia. He would go days at a time without food or water, driven by love and honor alone. He avoided the soldiers of Eppia, careful not to be seen.

Finally, he came across the sacred chalice, being transported in a carriage. Strangely, the carriage was made of canvas, but the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword paid this detail no heed.

He knew it would be difficult to acquire the chalice. It was guarded heavily. But he thought of the princess, and he mustered his courage, and he entered the carriage.

He raced past the guards, snatched the chalice of St. Crane, and dove out of the canvas carriage. Having accomplished this, he returned to the king.

He came to the king, the triumphant one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword, and said, "My lord, I have for you the Silver Chalice of St. Crane, taken from the Eppians!"

And the king smiled, as kings do, and took the chalice. "Well done. It seems I have underestimated the keenness of your one eye, and the truth of your rusted blade. Still, there are two more tasks. Are you ready for the next?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said, "Yes, my lord, I am ready!"

The king smiled.

"Very well. This may sound strange, but trust me--it is important. A boat on Dantar waters carries a bottle with them. This bottle is made of jade, and bears the letter "T" on its stem. You must get the bottle from the Dantar boat and bring it back to me."

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword nodded, and grinned his one-toothed grin, and set off.

It took the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword many days to reach the Dantar boat, for it was swift, and he was but a lone seaman. But his efforts were not in vain--finally, under dead of night, he came to the side of the ship.

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword placed a gnarled hand on the side of the boat, and thought long and hard about what he was going to do. There would be many enemy seamen, and he would have to fight many before he could escape with the strange jade bottle. But then, he thought of the princess, and he boarded the ship.

He flung himself aboard, sword at the ready, hacking through dozens like a madman. They came in waves, but the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword was a skilled soldier indeed, and they were no match for him. Finally, he managed to break through the mob, kick down a door, spot the bottle with his sharp eye, grab it, and fling himself overboard. It took him many days to get to shore, but finally, he arrived--bottle clutched in his weathered hand.

And so, the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword returned to the king, and said, "Behold! For I have taken the jade bottle marked with a "T" from the Dantar boat!"

And the king laughed, as kings do, and took the bottle. "Excellent work, good solider! Excellent indeed! There is but one more task. It seems minor, of course, given what you have been through, but it is a task nonetheless."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword smiled his one-toothed smile, and said, "My lord, I am ready!"

And the king took a breath.

"Good one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword, this task is simple. There is a blue sapphire at the bottom of a nearby cave, the Cave of Ant'erior. Retrieve it--but beware, for there are wolves below."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword raised his rusty sword, and cried, "It shall be done!"

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword set off, traveling many miles to the cave of Ant'erior. Finally, he came to the cave mouth.

At first, he was frightened, for there were wolves below that could tear the flesh from an ordinary man. But then, he thought of the princess, and he grew determined. He set off into the cave.

He was devoured by wolves.Respond to the joke in spoilers, please. Don't ruin the punchline.

Pyrian
2009-07-20, 12:22 AM
The longer they are, with the least satisfying punchline the better:smallamused:I know a joke like that.

There once was a soldier, a grizzled veteran of many wars against the foreign Dantar and Eppian tribes. And as he fought, he made many sacrifices--he lost an eye to a spear, his teeth to a gauntlet, and his trusty sword grew pitted and rusted. Then the war ended, and he was adrift, known everywhere as the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword.

One day, he decides he needs something to complete him--a wife. He thinks on the matter, then decides that a soldier of his stature deserves only the best--the flaxen-haired daughter of the king himself. And so, determined as he was to win the king's daughter, he went to the castle.

And he said, "Not even the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword?"

And the arranger asked: "Well, that depends. Are you the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said: "Yes. Yes, I am the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword."

And so the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword stepped into the king's chambers. The king regarded him regally--as kings do--and asked him, "What business have ye here, o man of a single eye, a single tooth, and a withered blade?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said, "Well, my lord, I wondered if I might have your daughter in marriage."

The king said nothing at first, lost in thought. Finally, he said, "Well, soldier, this is quite a difficult request. Truly, you are valorous. You have slain many men of Dantar and Eppian in your day. Still...my daugher is a fair jewel. There are few of her like out there. There are, however, many suitors--many of whom have both eyes, and many teeth, and swords that gleam like sunlight."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword grinned his one-toothed grin, and winked his single eye. "Well, my lord, I may have one eye, and I may have one tooth, and my sword might be rusted and old, but my one eye is good, and my one tooth is sharp, and my sword has never failed me yet. I promise you, my lord--all of these may yet serve you well."

"Very well, solider, I will give you your chance. I will let you try for the hand of my daughter. But before I am convinced of your worth, you must complete for me three tasks. Do you understand?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword nodded, and grinned, and cried, "Yes!"

The king smiled benevolently, as kings do, and said: "Alright, then. Here is your first task.

"The Eppians have acquired a saintly relic--a chalice made of silver, once possessed by Saint Crane. You must go behind lines and retrieve for me this chalice."

And so, the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword set off for Eppian lands.

It took him many days and nights to cross the dunes to Eppia. He would go days at a time without food or water, driven by love and honor alone. He avoided the soldiers of Eppia, careful not to be seen.

Finally, he came across the sacred chalice, being transported in a carriage. Strangely, the carriage was made of canvas, but the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword paid this detail no heed.

He knew it would be difficult to acquire the chalice. It was guarded heavily. But he thought of the princess, and he mustered his courage, and he entered the carriage.

He raced past the guards, snatched the chalice of St. Crane, and dove out of the canvas carriage. Having accomplished this, he returned to the king.

He came to the king, the triumphant one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword, and said, "My lord, I have for you the Silver Chalice of St. Crane, taken from the Eppians!"

And the king smiled, as kings do, and took the chalice. "Well done. It seems I have underestimated the keenness of your one eye, and the truth of your rusted blade. Still, there are two more tasks. Are you ready for the next?"

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword said, "Yes, my lord, I am ready!"

The king smiled.

"Very well. This may sound strange, but trust me--it is important. A boat on Dantar waters carries a bottle with them. This bottle is made of jade, and bears the letter "T" on its stem. You must get the bottle from the Dantar boat and bring it back to me."

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword nodded, and grinned his one-toothed grin, and set off.

It took the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword many days to reach the Dantar boat, for it was swift, and he was but a lone seaman. But his efforts were not in vain--finally, under dead of night, he came to the side of the ship.

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword placed a gnarled hand on the side of the boat, and thought long and hard about what he was going to do. There would be many enemy seamen, and he would have to fight many before he could escape with the strange jade bottle. But then, he thought of the princess, and he boarded the ship.

He flung himself aboard, sword at the ready, hacking through dozens like a madman. They came in waves, but the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword was a skilled soldier indeed, and they were no match for him. Finally, he managed to break through the mob, kick down a door, spot the bottle with his sharp eye, grab it, and fling himself overboard. It took him many days to get to shore, but finally, he arrived--bottle clutched in his weathered hand.

And so, the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword returned to the king, and said, "Behold! For I have taken the jade bottle marked with a "T" from the Dantar boat!"

And the king laughed, as kings do, and took the bottle. "Excellent work, good solider! Excellent indeed! There is but one more task. It seems minor, of course, given what you have been through, but it is a task nonetheless."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword smiled his one-toothed smile, and said, "My lord, I am ready!"

"Good one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword, this task is simple. There is a blue sapphire at the bottom of a nearby cave, the Cave of Ant'erior. Retrieve it--but beware, for there are wolves below."

And the one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword raised his rusty sword, and cried, "It shall be done!"

The one-eyed-one-toothed soldier with a rusty metal sword set off, traveling many miles to the cave of Ant'erior. Finally, he came to the cave mouth.

At first, he was frightened, for there were wolves below that could tear the flesh from an ordinary man. But then, he thought of the princess, and he grew determined. He set off into the cave.

He was devoured by wolves.Respond to the joke in spoilers, please. Don't ruin the punchline.I think that one has to be disqualified on the grounds of having an excessively awesome ending. :smallcool:

V'icternus
2009-07-20, 12:23 AM
I know a joke like that.

The king smiled.

He was devoured by wolves.Respond to the joke in spoilers, please. Don't ruin the punchline.

Words, typed, spoken, or projected mentally, cannot describe just how many times I just died laughing only to be laughed back to life by my own dying laughter because of this. Alright, maybe they can, and perhaps they just did, but... well, you get my meaning.

Felixaar
2009-07-20, 12:25 AM
I had a feeling something like that was coming XD well done, Rutsy.

Rutskarn
2009-07-20, 12:26 AM
It's pretty much my favorite joke.

It's better if you're telling it live. You get to do the voices, and gestures, and really, really spin out the running length. For example: if you're telling it orally, every time he goes to see the king, you add another layer of, "He's not seeing," "Not even the one-eyed," "Are you," "Yes," "Go." That doesn't work in text, since people will just skim over it.

The plus side is, people can't hit you over the internet. I have been hit for telling this joke before.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 02:10 AM
Silly Message Board Games. Bottom forum. Town is one of the 4 main Free Form Roleplaying Games here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32).
Blegh, I remember when there was only The Town. >.>

Vaynor
2009-07-20, 02:26 AM
If you're female, don't bother trying. Just post the occasional picture (I kid!). :smallbiggrin:

If you're male, I guess just be yourself, and if that fails pretend to be a girl?

I don't think time spent here has much to do with it at all. There are tons of people here that joined a lot more recently than me and they're much more "popular".

Honestly, though, I don't think it really matters much how popular one is. I come here, not because everyone likes me, but because I like most everyone here. I enjoy the community, and as long as awesome people continue to post here I'll stay, popularity be damned!

Jae
2009-07-20, 03:30 AM

haha honestly that sums it up better than i ever could.

Em Blackleaf
2009-07-20, 03:52 AM
Em and Krimm are just too damn fun.
WHAT? I was mentioned right away? In a thread about being popular, no less?

Yeah, well Krimm and are I like that anyway. It's been said many times that we should have a You Tube channel and a camera on us at all times. It's also been said that no one would understand what's going on. :smalltongue:
Our conversations are usually to the effect of, "Hey, is that a tootsie pop?"
"Uh, yeah."
"I want one! You suck!"
"Well, I could get- hehe."
"Haha, I get it."
That's one of the more intelligent ones, too. :smalltongue:

Uhm, anyway, I agree with most everyone else, in that you should just be yourself. Remain active and be nice, and you should have tons of forum friends in no time.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 03:54 AM
Is it wrong that I get most of that?:smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-07-20, 03:59 AM
While that is quite good Rutskarn, I have heard one which I think is slightly better, albeit with a bit less buildup.

So, there is a box of cheerios (you know, like the cereal). Now, it's a big box, and down at the bottom of the box it's really slummy. All the cheerios are kind of low class, and uninteresting, whereas up at the top it's really fancy, and there's great food and great parties.

Now, there's a cheerio hanging out down at the bottom of the box at a really crappy party. He eventually decides that it really isn't worth it: he's going to make his way up to the top of the box and go to a party there. So he makes the long trek up to the top.

He finds a party at a fancy club, but there's a huge line to get in. So, he waits in the line, and it takes forever, but eventually he manages to get in, right as he's about to give up.

Inside the party the music is great, and it's just such a better atmosphere. And this hot cheerio walks over to him, and asks him to dance. So he begins to head for the dance floor but she stops him. "No, you can't just go on there. You need to wait in the line." So he sighs, and goes with her to wait in the line. And it's a very long line, but eventually, when he's about to give up and go sit down somewhere, they get in, and dance and dance. And they're both wonderful dancers, and he has a great time, and after a long time dancing they get off the dance floor.

Now, the two of them are starting to get pretty hungry, so he asks her, "hey, is there any food around here?" And she replies, "yeah, it's right over there," pointing to a table covered with the most delicious looking snacks and expensive candies and all the best food you can think of. But when he moves towards it, she stops him again: "No, we have to go wait in the line." And so they go and they wait in the line. And it takes so long that he's about to leave and just go somewhere else and eat because he's worried he's going to starve, but then they get there, and they eat, and the food is amazing.

As they leave, he's starting to feel pretty thirsty. So he looks around, and turns to her, and asks "Hey, is there anything to drink? Punch, maybe? Where's the line for that?" And she looks at him, confused, and says,
"What are you talking about? There is no punch line."

This is only if you really want a joke people will beat you up for!

Alleine
2009-07-20, 04:26 AM
Yeah, honestly aside from being yourself and jumping into conversations whenever possible, the big thing, IMHO, is to post. It doesn't really matter how funny and witty you are if you are only witty for that one post every week. At least if you make yourself a regular, people will recognize you.

Take me for instance. A few people will recognize me simply because I've been around long enough, but since I am not a creature native to forums I tend to post rarely and thus will probably never become 'popular' or considered one of the older members.

Tips: Murder several posters and assume their postcount/avatar. It works for DnD deities, why shouldn't it work for normal people too? :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-07-20, 04:28 AM
Hey! It worked for me.:smallamused:
They were angry at me when Sneak came back though...>.>

:smalltongue:

Shikton
2009-07-20, 04:31 AM
I suggest streaking and posting a vid of it here. It'd be memorable. :) Preferably with GITP painted on your chest.

Zeb The Troll
2009-07-20, 04:51 AM
Yeah, but now he's, like, the infamous offspring of the Original Troll and Lady Awesome...Who's a what now? :smallconfused: