PDA

View Full Version : Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

wxdruid
2009-08-18, 03:11 PM
Kalrin is very ineffective with his staff and trying to jam the mechanism. He can’t find the right spot and Gneiss’ advice isn’t helpful.

Lagri jams the butt of his halberd into the mechanism and the chain slows with a loud groaning sound, but it doesn’t stop completely. The end of the halberd is inexorably drawn further in and if not removed soon, it will crack and break. The weight of the two pots and huge chain is just too much. ((The nice STR check will work for a few seconds to moments. To truly disable it, you need to roll a high disable device check))

Gneiss is trying to direct them, but can’t quite put what he wants to say into words.

Hector goes closer to the dragon men in an effort to help Bryce…

Bryce finally feels things tipping his way, whether due to Bryce or a little help from Mishakal, he’s finally able to get the rest of the way into the pot. He’s squishing a few gully dwarves in the bottom.

Pearl’s arrow disappears down the other hole and misses the swinging pot of dragon men.

Tygerlilly looks up at the chain and back down in the pot, man, she really wants to go down. It looks great! But, on the other hand, she does want to be helpful, being helpful is so much fun as well. She jumps over and tries climbing Kalrin to try and reach the device. She wants to see if she can figure out how to disable it.

The two dragon men in the ‘up’ pot take the opportunity presented to attack Hector and Bryce. They both swing and miss with their swords in the moving pot. They aren’t afraid of falling out of the pot… The gully dwarves all cower in the bottom of the pot.

---------- Round 5 ----------

Kalrin 22
Lagri 22
Gneiss 14
Hector 14 (nonlethal dam: 1 – from jumping)
Bryce 4 (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 2 – from falling)
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Dragon men (2 of them), 6 more in the other pot
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves, 2 dragon men, Hector, Bryce. The ‘up’ pot – 6 dragon men))

old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82431)

Toliudar ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=12638)-Pearl Kharlas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=15874)-The Fearless Leader
LordOfTheDucks ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33936)-Lagri Firekeeper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55221)-The Reluctant Prophet
codexgigas ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4816)-Bryce Alban (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55418)-The Idealist
Annalia ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=123)-Hector Kinder (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=112)-The Protector
SilentNight ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=32747)-Kalrin Danton-Prettyshaper (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55416)-The Sage
Philistine ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=36653)-Gneiss Copperpot (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=55529)-The Dwarven Rogue

Toliudar
2009-08-19, 02:19 AM
Pearl

Since Pearl seems to be having no luck with her bow, she pauses before drawing a second shaft, and gestures first to Gneiss and then the still-grinding chain.

"Gneiss! Want to use me as a ladder to get a bit closer to that? I suspect you've got some ideas on how to stop it."

If Gneiss approves, Pearl will take an action to swing him up onto her shoulders, and move as needed to help him address the problems of the mechanism.

If he declines, she'll turn back to the "up" bucket. If it looks like the bucket will move within reach this round, she'll simply draw her sword and get ready to attack. Otherwise, she'll fire off an arrow at the "up" pot dragon-men.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Annalia
2009-08-19, 09:52 AM
Hector

With Bryce finally reaching into the pot, Hector moved on to the fun part of action. He whirled to face the two dragonmen, careful to stay at the opposite end of the pot than Bryce and give him friend the best chance at finding a firm footing inside.

"Too bad you couldn't make good use of that respite. It's over now!" he told them as he spread his hands across the supple wooden haft. He could hardly use the pointy hand of his weapon in the packed pot, but nothing would stop him from using the blunt one. With a grin, he slammed his haft at a draconian's face, putting strength behind the blow.

I'm assuming everything is within 5 feet of me, and that I cannot take normal attacks. Instead I'll make use of the Close Quarters feat. :smallsmile:
Power Attack -2/+2
[roll0], [roll1]

Philistine
2009-08-20, 05:43 PM
Gneiss

If Pearl's suggestion isn't the craziest thing Gneiss has ever heard, it certainly comes close. Still, he's not doing much good where he is, so...

"Aye, lass," he says after a heartbeat's pause. He checks to make sure his tools are close to hand, then readies himself to receive a boost up.

GrassyGnoll
2009-08-20, 07:03 PM
Lagri

Lagri jerks his halberd out of the spokes and watches the chain resume its steady crawl. The icefolk steps back to lean over the well and take a look at the dumbwaiters, judging their distance and the time it will take them to reach their destinations. In preparation, the barbarian wraps a length of leather around his palms and grips the chain holding up the 'down' pot.

The questions he's looking to answer are: how far down the pots are, how fast they're traveling, whether he can slide down the chains supporting said platforms.

Toliudar
2009-08-20, 10:50 PM
Pearl

Pearl grunts as she grips the dwarf's waist and, with his assistance, swings him up onto her shoulders. Woo! It's harder to get the swamp smell out than I thought.

codexgigas
2009-08-22, 11:07 PM
Bryce

Bryce lashes out at the nearest dragon-man, slashing with his sword and bashing with his shield.

Rolls from earlier, which are only now being used.

Attack: Sword: (1d20+7)[17]
Crit Confirm: (1d20+7)[20]
Damage: (1d8+4)[10]

Attack: Shield Bash: (1d20+6)[20]
Crit Confirm: (1d20+6)[23]
Damage: (1d4+1)[5]

GrassyGnoll
2009-08-22, 11:35 PM
Lagri

The barbarian switches his grip to his halberd's pommel as he steps back into a batter's stance. Lagri swings the axe for the chain of the 'down' pot. He steps into the blow, prepared for the recoil of the dumbwaiter.

Sunder attempt on the chain

Attack (-2 for Power Attack): [roll0]

Edit: Booyah. I've heard tell that there's one chain for both elevators. Despite the inefficiency of such a design, Lagri would go through with it anyway.

SilentNight
2009-08-23, 10:52 AM
Noticing Tigerlilly's jumping, Kalrin crouches down, "Come on up my little friend, let's see what we can do. Ah, Lagri," Kalrin taps the barbarian on the shoulder, "You realize we have friends in one of those pots. Now, let's see what we can do."

Aid another:[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-08-23, 11:21 AM
Kalrin tries to help Tygerlilly climb up him, but she’s better at climbing by herself.

Lagri takes a swing at the chain and finds out how thick it is. His halberd bounces off the chain and when he looks, he made a small dent, but it would take a lot more work than that to sunder it.

Gneiss gets a hand up from Pearl and he gets closer to the mechanism in the ceiling. ((requires a Disable Device check))

Hector positions himself in the pot and slams the blunt end of his ranseur into the first dragon man’s face. He breaks the creature’s nose and cheek and blood runs down the front of his armor.

Bryce attacks the second dragon man, first with his sword, then with his shield. Both connect and first he cuts into the dragon man’s tough hide before he pushes him back against the lip of the pot with his shield.

Tygerlilly swarms up Kalrin’s robes and stands on his shoulders. She’s light and easily balances on his shoulders as she looks up at the mechanism. She starts muttering to herself as she considers the problem. She is able to help Gneiss in his quest to disable it 1d20+7=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2224002/) and gives him an additional +2.

The two dragon men in the pot are looking pretty bad after Hector and Bryce got through with them. They both attack Hector and Bryce, but with the swinging pot and their injuries, they are unlucky and the second one almost hits the first one with his wild swing. They growl at each other for a moment and warily watch the two humans. The pots continue to move down and up towards each other.

---------- Round 6 ----------

Kalrin 22
Lagri 22
Gneiss 14
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves, 2 dragon men, Hector, Bryce. The ‘up’ pot – 6 dragon men))

GrassyGnoll
2009-08-23, 12:25 PM
Lagri

Lagri recovers his swing and drops his foot to catch himself before he can accidentally rebound into Kalrin.

"LEETLE METAL VIZARDRY!" the icefolk exclaims before dropping his weapon to his side and hurdling over the well's rail. Lagri plummets for the 'down' pot, throwing out his legs in a dropkick toward the closest dragon man.

Jump: [roll0]
Balance: [roll1]

Charging bullrush: [roll2]

Can you oppose a bullrush if you are flat-footed? I guess we'll learn that.

Annalia
2009-08-23, 05:55 PM
Hector

As the two dragonmen nearly killed one another, Hector took one step to the side and whirled his ranseur about. As always, he was grinning widely: nothing was better than fighting alongside a trusted friend, and he was glad Bryce had finally found his footing.

"Hey, Bryce, where's your war cry?" he called. "I miss its soft music in my ears." Still too close to use the actual head of his polearm, he hit the dragonman's side with the haft again.

Same attack, same Power Attack use!
[roll0] and [roll1]

By the way, how feasible would it be to jump from down pot to up pot?

Philistine
2009-08-23, 08:28 PM
Gneiss

Tongue between his teeth, Geniss does his best to ignore the precariousness of his position as he concentrates on halting the mechanism. He acknowleges Tygerlilly's aid with a brusque nod and a grunt as he continues working. A sudden shift of weight - whether due to a movement of his own or of Pearl's, he's not sure - causes him to nearly bite through his tongue, momentarily grabbing on to the device for stability before returning to his endeavor.

Disable Device: [roll0]
This includes the +2 from Tygerlilly's assistance, but does not include +2 from Masterwork Thieves' Tools: this seems more like a crowbar-type job due to the size and weight of the objects being shifted.

Toliudar
2009-08-24, 01:55 AM
Pearl

Pearl splays her legs wide, trying to provide Gneiss with a stable base for his work. She risked a glance down at the "up" cauldron, trying to gauge how soon it would reach the surface. As Lagri lines up to jump down, Pearl grimaces.

"Wait! The pot. We might not have to..."

She sighs as the tempestuous warrior dives down.

SilentNight
2009-08-24, 11:36 AM
Glad his and Tigerlilly's heads were still attached to their respective shoulders, Kalrin can't help but give a slight chuckle at Lagri's actions. The foreigner would be fine. Or at least Kalrin hoped, there was still much to be learned there. Turning back to the device, Kalrin views it as a logical contraption, "Say, Gneiss, perhaps you might want to try over here," he points.

Aid another if it's feasible:[roll0]

codexgigas
2009-08-24, 01:40 PM
Bryce

The knight grins at Hector, and then returns his full attention to the dragon-man in front of him. He yells "Solamnia!" as he redoubles his attack.

Attack (Longsword): [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack (Shield Bash): [roll3]
Crit Confirm: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

wxdruid
2009-08-27, 12:19 PM
Kalrin is a great ladder and not quite so helpful in disabling devices in this instance. Tygerlilly, in her eagerness, can’t remain still and her feet are everywhere, on his head, shoulders, etc… making it hard for him to concentrate.

Lagri drops his weapon and jumps into the hole, aiming a dropkick on a dragon man. Both of them get their AoO, but both of them are ineffective and their swords swish by Lagri, missing him. With the combined movement of the pot and the movement of the dragon men, Lagri’s dropkick connects, but he can tell it doesn’t have the power behind it needed to do any damage and the dragon man he targeted snarls at him. ((no, they are not flat footed during the charging bull rush, you do not have the improved bull rush feat and they are already in combat))

Gneiss concentrates and tinkers and with a little help from the kender he finally figures it out and disables the lift, it grinds to a more permanent halt. There are gully dwarves peeking around the corner watching this with wide eyes.

Hector finds a weak spot in the dragon man’s armor and the dragon man doubles over, leaning out of the pot as he coughs up blood. Hector watches as the dragon man turns to stone before his eyes.

Bryce misses with his longsword, but the shield bash is very effective and the dragon man is looking very smashed up.

Pearl tried to stop Lagri, but, he jumps anyway. She supports Gneiss and she hears it when the chain slows down and stops.

Tygerlilly is ecstatic with Gneiss’ success. She reaches over and congratulates him by attempting to lightly slap him on the arm. Hey! That was great Gneiss! You stopped it! Now what’re we going to do? Can I jump down now? I would love to do that. It would be the funnest thing ever to do!

In the ‘down’ pot, one dragon man is stone and he’s tilting the pot to one side with his weight. If anyone looks down, the ‘up’ pot looks like it’s about 200 ft down. The second dragon man looks between the 3 companions now in his pot and he gets up on the lip of the pot and spreads his wings and jumps ((Hector, Bryce and Lagri may make AoO’s against him)) The dragon men in the ‘up’ pot realize that movement upward has stopped and chatter amongst themselves.

---------- Round 7 ----------

Kalrin 22
Lagri 22 (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 7 – from jumping)
Gneiss 14
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves, 1 dragon men, 1 statue, Hector, Bryce. The ‘up’ pot – 6 dragon men))

codexgigas
2009-08-27, 08:28 PM
Bryce

"For Huma!" Bryce yells as he continues attacking the dragon-man.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack (Shield Bash): [roll3]
Crit Confirm: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Annalia
2009-08-28, 10:46 PM
Hector

Finding his footing in the tilting pot, Hector whirled around and smashed his shaft into the fleeing dragonman. The moment his attack is over, he tied the polearm back across his back and grabbed the chain to climb up. He was not going to remain in a pot devoid of enemies.

Looking up, he called: "Did you see that, Pearl? Smashed his nose right in!" Okay, it hadn't quite been the nose, but who would care? The thing had turned to stone, that was the important part.

Here's the AoO, still in the same PA (not that I have much choice).
[roll0], [roll1]

And a climb check to get back up, I'd guess. I'll be using double movement to go up, unless the dragonman is still a threat (I get the feeling he'll either be dead or fleeing, however). [roll2]

Toliudar
2009-08-29, 12:17 PM
Pearl

Pearl reaches up awkwardly to pat Gneiss on what she sincerely hopes is his back.

"Good work, Gneiss! Oh, I'll, uh..."

She bends over to facilitate his return to the floor, and steps over to the hole above the no-longer-up pot. She hear's Hector's roar of triumph, and looks over to see the dragon-man turn to stone. Creepy. Pearl nods and waves her encouragement. She murmurs, as much to herself as anyone else.

"Let's hope that there are no more pot-jumpers. How are we now going to get those brave, silly boys back up safely."

Meanwhile, her body goes on numbly, firing down at the dragon-men in the no-longer-up pot.

GrassyGnoll
2009-08-29, 03:21 PM
Lagri

The brawler throws a wide right hook at the departing dragonman. Lagri's attention follows his foe over the edge. He grips the edge of the pot and whips his head around furiously, looking for something to pummel.

AoO:[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-09-01, 11:08 PM
Kalrin helps an excited Tygerlilly down from his shoulders.

Lagri just misses the dragon man with his fist.

Gneiss climbs down off Pearl’s shoulders and rubs his hands together.

Hector gets in a finishing blow and the precariously balanced dragon man falls out of the pot. By the time he hits the floor almost 300 feet down, he’s already turned to stone and shatters as he hits. Hector straps his ranseur to his back and begins climbing the chain. There are some hand and foot holds in the huge chain links. He makes it about ½ way up the chain.

Bryce finds out his attack isn’t needed and he’s now in a pot with 4 frightened, blubbering gully dwarves and Lagri.

Pearl fires another arrow at the ‘up’ pot dragon men. The pot isn’t swinging as much and her arrow comes a bit closer, but still misses them. She can’t hear them, but from their expressions, they’re not very happy.

Tygerlilly comes over to peer into both holes. She’s disappointed to find out there aren’t any more dragon men in the ‘down’ pot and therefore that makes it less interesting to jump into and the other pot is just a bit to far away for her, plus she feels a bit outnumbered… Man! I wanted to go down there. She yells down to Hector and Bryce, Having fun yet?!

The 6 dragon men in the ‘up’ pot aren’t very eager to climb upwards into arrow range, so stay where they are for now.

---------- Round 8 ----------

Kalrin 22
Gneiss 14
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Dragon men - 6 more in the ‘up’ pot
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves, Hector (climbing up), Bryce, Lagri. The ‘up’ pot – 6 dragon men))

Annalia
2009-09-02, 02:33 PM
Hector

"Hell yes, I am!" Hector called back. He continued to work his way up the chain until he reached the floor and the rest of the group.

I'd take 10 on the climb if possible, for 19 total. If not, I'll continue to roll. It's not like I can get such a bad result.

[roll0]

Toliudar
2009-09-03, 11:55 PM
Pearl

Pearl grimaces, and tries to think of something to keep the kender occupied.

"Listen. This is a ruin, right? Kalrin, maybe you and Tygerlily can find some big chunks of rock. Something that we could, say, drop on those dragon-men. That sounds like fun, right?"

She tries to do a better job of correcting for the swaying of the pot below, and fires off another arrow.

Damage [roll1]

SilentNight
2009-09-04, 08:42 AM
Kalrin looks to Tigerlilly, "What do you think my little friend? Let's see if we can't find some big presents for our friends down there," he says with a wink. Kalrin then looks about for a suitable rock, wishing he'd pick up that floating disk spell when he had the chance.

Searching for something in the realm of 200lbs:[roll0]

codexgigas
2009-09-04, 08:16 PM
Bryce

Bryce sheaths his sword and shield and begins the difficult task of climbing up the chain. "You better not fall, because I'm not going to catch you!" he calls up at Hector.

Climb: [roll0]

Annalia
2009-09-05, 12:10 AM
Hector

For a moment, Hector was tempted to let go - just for the laugh. The sores after would not be as funny, though. "Fall? How dare you? I was climbing trees before I could even walk!"

Philistine
2009-09-05, 12:54 AM
Gneiss

Glad to be back on solid ground, Gneiss retrieves his crossbow and takes position at the lip of the well looking down at the 'up' pot, about a quarter of the way around from Pearl. It's a tricky shot, almost straight down at the dragon-men in the swinging pot, and it doesn't help at all that he has to watch to make sure gravity doesn't pull the quarrel from his bow before he's ready to loose. "Get 'em," he whispers to himself, as he speeds the bolt down toward the foes below.

wxdruid
2009-09-05, 12:19 PM
Kalrin starts hunting around for rocks. He finds rubble, but it’s all 5lbs or less in weight.

Lagri is still in the ‘down’ pot with the gully dwarves. Two of his party members are climbing the chain above him. Below him, the 6 dragon men are still in the pot (but not for long).

Gneiss fires his crossbow and gets in a lucky shot. The bolt hits one of the dragon men in the arm.

Hector makes it the rest of the way up and climbs out of the hole. He gets an exuberant hug from the kender (make a spot check).

Bryce is about half way up the chain and climbing steadily.

Pearl’s arrow follows Gneiss’, but she doesn’t have much luck as her arrow misses the pot and dragon men.

Tygerlilly hugs Hector and starts looking around for rocks, she gets distracted by something shiny she just found.

The dragon men in the ‘up’ pot have had enough and since it doesn’t look like the pots are going to start moving again, they all jump out. They all glide down to the floor below and disappear into the shadows.

The gully dwarves finally venture out and one tugs on Kalrin’s robe, Whatcha lookin’ for?

---------- Round 9 ----------

Kalrin 22
Gneiss 14
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Dragon men - 6 more at the bottom somewhere
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves, Hector (climbing up), Bryce, Lagri. The ‘up’ pot – 6 dragon men))

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-05, 01:07 PM
Lagri

The barbarian looks up pensively. Barehanded and unburdened, he looks up at his preceding companions. He grabs the chain at the middle of the pot and leans over the side, gauging the distance from himself and the nearest platform.

Now I'm thoroughly confused, Lagri jumped onto the 'down' pot because it was 200 feet higher than the 'up' pot. Now, Hector and Bryce are climbing up to get to the 'up' pot, which rightfully is still below the 'down' pot.

wxdruid
2009-09-05, 01:16 PM
((The down pot is the one Lagri, Bryce and Hector were in and is about 40 feet down from the upper floor. The up pot with the 6 dragon men is about 250 feet lower than the upper floor and is below Lagri.))

Annalia
2009-09-05, 02:16 PM
Hector

Hector is a bit startled to find the kender suddenly wrapping her arms around his waist - startled and wary, in fact. "You know, I really don't think we should let them escape," he tells the other.

We were climbing to get back to the upper platform, with the others.
[roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-05, 02:44 PM
Lagri

The barbarian looks between his departing pot-mates and the recently vacated platform of dragonmen.

"For vat?" he wonders aloud. Accustomed to mainlanders acting oddly, he shrugs.

"Trow me halberd, da!? Un my fishink net!" he calls after Hector and Bryce.

Toliudar
2009-09-05, 02:51 PM
Pearl

Hector's comment brings a grimace to Pearl's lips.

"It's not that I disagree, but I can't event see them, let alone stop them. Any ideas?"

Pearl stops herself from sending another arrow after the two ineffective ones she's already loosed. She calls down to Lagri (and, perhaps, Bryce).

"Without a counterweight, we're not going to be able to start up the pots again. We can lower a rope to secure you as you climb the chain, if you want. Wouldn't your halberd just get the way of climbing?"

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-05, 04:02 PM
Lagri

Not to be imposed upon by his position, Lagri hollers back up the well quizzically.

"Vat significance zis vord 'koonter-veits'? Eef ve are followink zese dragonmen, brink me bag past corner. Is vit thrall Wleric in hall. Many rope insides!"

It just occurred to me that Vleric may begin Va-leric as well as Vh-leric.

And that in either case, Lagri would pronounce it Wleric.

codexgigas
2009-09-05, 08:33 PM
Bryce

Bryce continues climbing up the chain.

Toliudar
2009-09-06, 09:50 AM
Pearl

What Lagri has in mind becomes a tiny bit clearer in Pearl's mind. She calls down to him.

"If you think that I'm shimmying down hundreds of feet of chain, towards a bunch of dragon men who know that we're coming, and also dealing with your thrall up here, you've got another thing coming."

There is steel in her voice that belies her youth.

"Now start climbing."

Annalia
2009-09-06, 02:02 PM
Hector

Hector glanced at Pearl. He had been willing to climb down that chain. "So... we'll need another way down."

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-07, 01:27 AM
Lagri

Lagri bites his lip as he looks up. He squats ready to jump and bellows up.

"HA, is children playink, this!"

Lagri leaps onto the chain, swinging arm over arm in a mad grapple upward. He doesn't bother to secure his legs, holding on by his tethered hands.

Climb:[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-09-07, 11:26 AM
Hector doesn’t spot anything, but, Tygerlilly is down towards the long hallway, busy counting something… The gully dwarves are getting more curious by the moment and the group hasn’t whipped them or beat them, so they creep closer to congregate around the group. One, pushed by the others, daringly pulls on Pearl’s sleeve, What you want? Why you stop pots? She or he is happier to have the dragon men stuck down below away from them, but, the others want to know.

Bryce makes it up and then Lagri makes it up to the top of the swinging chain. They come out of the hole and everyone is back together.

---------- Round 10 ----------

Kalrin 22
Gneiss 14
Pearl
Tygerlilly
Ogre (dead)

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves. The ‘up’ pot – nothing))

SilentNight
2009-09-07, 01:43 PM
Kalrin squats down to look the gully dwarf face to face. "A big rock to drop on the scaly men. Think you can help me?"

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-07, 04:18 PM
Lagri

Lagru pulls himself over the well's edge, stooping to pick up his halberd and run back down the hallway. He picks up his satchel and drags back Vleric's body.

"Make hurry," he chides over his shoulder as he props Vleric against the wall just right of the well, "Zis metal vizardry is wery angerink mina."

Toliudar
2009-09-07, 04:45 PM
Pearl

Pearl crouches alongside Kalrin to speak with the bold gully dwarf.

"Friend, we have a very important meeting with the Highbulb. Highbulp. And we don't want the dragon-men getting in the way of that.

"Now, if the dragon-men are using you as counterweights..."

She watches the gully dwarf's eyes glaze over, and hastily rephrases.

"Use dwarvesto make one pot go down when they want to go up. But that means that there must be some other way for you to come back up here, to be ready to go down again. Can you tell us about that? And show us where it is?"

wxdruid
2009-09-08, 07:29 PM
The gully dwarf looks at Kalrin, You want rock? Big rock? She looks expectantly at him.

Lagri climbs the rest of the way up and collects his reluctant thrall from the far end of the corridor.

She looks confusedly between Pearl and Kalrin, Which you want? Rock? or down?

--------------------

Kalrin
Lagri (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 7 – from jumping)
Gneiss
Hector (nonlethal dam: 1 – from jumping)
Bryce (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 2 – from falling)
Pearl
Tygerlilly

((jumping down requires a jump check and a balance check. The ‘down’ pot – gully dwarves. The ‘up’ pot – nothing))

Philistine
2009-09-08, 11:49 PM
Gneiss

"They'll be long gone by now, Kalrin," Gneiss interjects, putting the crossbow away again. His stubby fingers caress the hilts of his blades as he watches Lagri dragging Vleric up to the chamber with the rest of the group: he trusts the dragon-man not at all, "thrall" or no.

codexgigas
2009-09-09, 05:53 AM
Bryce

The knight clears his throat before interjecting into the discussion. "We need to move quickly. Those dragon-men who got away will sound the alert, and this place is going to be crawling with dragon-men searching for us soon. We need to get..." Bryce trails off. He was about to say "the Disks," but somehow it didn't seem wise to talk to freely around the gully dwarves. They weren't malicious, just greedy and stubborn, and their helpfulness might soon dry up if they knew the value of what the party was looking for. "...what we came here to find as soon as possible," he finished, a little lamely.

Toliudar
2009-09-09, 09:21 AM
Pearl

Pearl lifts her hands in front of her face to try to control the gully dwarf's attention. She strives to keep her voice level and calm as others start to interject.

"We want down. Not with the pots. Can you help us? How else can we get down?"

wxdruid
2009-09-09, 02:41 PM
She scratches her head, You not want rocks? You want down there? Why? She tilts her head to one side and scratches the hair on her chin. Other gully dwarves start crowding around. Dragon down there, she not nice. You nice.

Tygerlilly pops back over and she gets on her belly and stares down the hole in floor. That chain is calling to her with a loud voice. She continues to stare down and asks, Why can't we climb down? I think it would be great fun. I'm sure I could make it all the way. She reaches out with one hand toward the huge chain, but she can't quite reach it and she starts scooting towards it, trying to not fall into the hole. After all, it is a long way down.

--------------------

Kalrin
Lagri (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 7 – from jumping)
Gneiss
Hector (nonlethal dam: 1 – from jumping)
Bryce (nonlethal dam: 4, regular dam: 2 – from falling)
Pearl
Tygerlilly

Toliudar
2009-09-10, 10:27 PM
Pearl

Pearl calls upon the patience that comes from hours and hours of doing exactly the same movements over and over again. She turns to Tygerlily.

"There are dragon-men at the bottom of that chain, and they'll be waiting for us. If they have bows, it might be very easy for them to get us as we climb down."

She turns back to the gully dwarf.

"Thank you for the warning about the dragon. I - I don't think we're all that eager to meet her either. But just in case...how do you get back up from down there?"

Philistine
2009-09-11, 12:03 AM
Gneiss

As Pearl continues her exchange with the gully dwarf, something about the interaction tugs at Gneiss's memory. With a start, he remembers the Aghar who had led them here from the floor above. "Where's Tunka, and the rest of her crew?" he blurts. "Tygerlilly, did you see where they went when the fight started?"

wxdruid
2009-09-11, 11:40 AM
Oh… Yeah, you’re right, I don’t think I want to be a pin cushion quite yet. Tygerlilly looks one last time down the hole before she backs up. She gets up and brushes off her bright clothing. The gully dwarves? She pulls on her top knot, Well, they kinda all look the same. I think? they ended up in one of those side areas in the hall?

The gully dwarf in front of Pearl looks at her in earnest, You want down. There are pots? She peers over at them, But, they no work. She’s working through the logic, We no go up through other way, we slide down! She raises her arms and grins at Pearl.

Tygerlilly watches this with interest, Really? Sliding down? That sounds like great fun!

The other gully dwarves repeat the name Tunka and there’s a lot of shuffling and moving around as the name gets passed around.

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-11, 02:29 PM
Lagri

"SLIDE DOWN!?," Lagri hollers incredulously. The barbarian strides toward the talkative gully dwarf, engulfing her in a ironclad bear hug.

"I LOFE LEETLE HALF-MAN-VOMAN! Each time I say like thing is alvays, 'Lagri, zat is su-ey-side' or 'LAGRI, hyu'll get us all keeled!'"

Toliudar
2009-09-11, 07:12 PM
Pearl

She'd rather hoped for a spiral staircase. Perhaps a ladder. But...a slide. Well, it couldn't be SO steep a slide, right? Since the dwarves have to climb back up it.

Could it?

Pearl waits for the Lagri cyclone to subside, and speaks softly.

"Um. Lagri. I share your happiness, but we should probably not yell anything about where we're going, in case the sound carries."

She gestures to the open hole, and frowns apologetically.

"And...now perhaps we can put the nice lady down so she can show us where the slide is?"

Pearl picks her bow up off of the ground, and does a quick head count to make sure that no one had wandered off.

LotD, do you have any idea how much grapefruit juice hurts when you expel it through your nose? I hate you.

Philistine
2009-09-12, 11:25 PM
Gneiss

Lagri's outburst draws the dwarf's attention: anything that makes that maniac so happy just has to be bad news. It takes him a moment to figure out what the others are talking about, as he hadn't been following the conversation; when he catches up, he can hardly believe what he's hearing. "Slide down?" he asks dubiously. "Did you see how far down that is? But I guess if these gullies can do it, we can too," he sighs.

SilentNight
2009-09-13, 09:46 AM
Kalrin chuckles to himself at Lagri's reaction. Nevertheless, he's interested too. "Do you think you could take us to the slide little one?We need to see the Highbulp."

wxdruid
2009-09-13, 04:04 PM
Tygerlilly bounds over, leaving the two holes and pots behind. The poor gully dwarf that Lagri is hugging is squirming in his grasp. She isn’t sure what’s going on, but she wants down! She tries to bite Lagri to let her go. The other gully dwarves nod, We go!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/Game/DLXakTsarothfrompotstoslide.jpg

Half of the gully dwarves head south, half of the gully dwarves go east.

codexgigas
2009-09-13, 10:55 PM
Bryce

"Lagri, why don't you put your new friend down so she can tell us which direction we need to go to get to this slide?" Bryce suggests.

He leans over to Hector. "A steel piece says that we're going to regret taking directions from gully dwarves," he whispers.

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-13, 11:23 PM
Lagri

Lagri releases his hold on the gully dwarf without ceremony, simply dropping her. With a look of contentment, he drags his pack and hostage after the dwarf.

Toliudar
2009-09-14, 12:21 AM
Pearl

Simply relieved that no one is shouting at or punching each other, Pearl gathers up any leftover belongings - including the lantern that she'd dropped back in the hallway - and hurries after the Aghar.

As the gully dwarves start to split, Pearl turns to her companions.

"Might just be multiple paths to the same destination. Gneiss, could you take Lagri, Hector and Kalrin and follow the group turning right? Bryce, Tygerlily and I will stick with this lot going straight."

Barring further discussion, Pearl lifts her lantern high, and proceeds east.

Philistine
2009-09-14, 10:09 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss looks askance at Pearl. "Sure, saddle me with the crazy ones," he says in mock-complaint. "Fine, fine. Let's get on with it, then." He waves Hector, Kalrin, and Lagri over and sets out behind the Aghar taking the southern hallway.

Annalia
2009-09-15, 02:32 PM
Hector

"You should know I never regret anything," Hector whispered back at Bryce, before heading after Gneiss and the other 'crazy' ones.

His long strides easily carried him to the surly dwarf. "Could be worse, you know. She could have swapped Tygerlilly and Kalrin around."

wxdruid
2009-09-15, 03:32 PM
Tygerlilly pays attention for once and once her route is assigned she skips happily down the hallway following the gully dwarves toward the fun slide. Bryce, Pearl and Tygerlilly end up in a large open space. To the north there are huge holes in the floor. It looks similar to the large open space they ended up in when they came down the stairs. The gully dwarves turn right down a small hallway.

Lagri drags his reluctant thrall behind him. Vleric is getting ill tempered over all this and wishes he could get Lagri apart from the others and kill him, get it over with. Gneiss, Hector and Kalrin follow their gully dwarves south into a square room. The room has a flat ceiling and slimy green mildew covers the carvings on the wall. They all turn to the east and ahead of them, they see more gully dwarves.

The two sections of gully dwarves meet up in the middle room, they jabber excitedly to each other for a moment before continuing east. The middle room is a 30 ft wide octagonal room with a domed ceiling. The back wall bears a relief statue of the goddess Mishakal. The arms of the statue reach down as if to receive something.

The gully dwarves have already seen it all and continue east into the last room. There is a hallway going north, but they seem uninterested in it and gather round the south wall. The ceiling in this room has partially collapsed; a sewer, roughly 4 ft in diameter and constructed of fitted stone apparently fell through the roof. Now the jagged edge of the broken sewer tunnel juts through the rubble-strewn floor. The gully dwarves are all gathered around this spot. One gully dwarf jumps up and down, We go down here! You go?

Tygerlilly looks up at Pearl, waiting to see what she says.

Toliudar
2009-09-15, 10:36 PM
Pearl

Pearl shines her lamp down into the blackness of the sewer pipe.

"Well, gentlemen and Tygerlily, what do you think? Do we risk it?"

Turning back to the excited gully dwarves, Pearl composes her voice, and asks: "Who would like to tell me the story of what is at the bottom of the sewer?"

Philistine
2009-09-15, 10:47 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss stares at the broken sewer pipe with undisguised dismay. "Oh, that's just lovely," he grumbles. "And that smell! We won't have to worry about fighting the dragon, we'll kill it by walking under its nose!"

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-16, 12:23 AM
Lagri weren't taking no gruff.

"Hyu ahead!"

The barbarian shoves his thrall forward and into the hole. He listens for any discouraging crunches and hops in after.

My first thought was to tear his wings off, let them petrify and use them as boards to surf down on. I'm fairly sure that would forfeit my CG status.

SilentNight
2009-09-16, 08:38 AM
Kalrin follows the group in silence, lost in thought, staring at the statue of Mishakal. As they reach the sewer, he leans over the tube, trying to glimpse the bottom and comments, "It's days like these I'm glad I'm a mage.". He then moves over to Pearl and the Gully Dwarves. Squatting down, he adds, "I'd like to hear too. I'm sure we could tell the Highbulp what good storytellers his people are."

Annalia
2009-09-16, 10:57 AM
Hector

"Right. You two listen to what the gully has to say. I'm gonna make sure Lagri doesn't end in trouble."

Hector made his way to the hole, but when he arrived there, he stared dubiously for a moment. He crouched next to the slide and put his ranseur in, rather glad the weapon was made of flexible wood. Unless there was a very hard turn, it should survive the ride.

Keeping a hand on his faithful weapon, Hector followed Lagri down the slide. The moment he began picking up speed, he let out a loud whooping sound.

codexgigas
2009-09-16, 10:00 PM
Bryce

Bryce sighs. Looking ruefully at Pearl, he says, "Someone needs to keep an eye on those two." Making sure that the staff, his shield, and his weapons are firmly attached, he eases into the sewer pipe, making sure that he descends feet-first.

Philistine
2009-09-16, 10:51 PM
Gneiss Copperpot

Gneiss wheels on Pearl with a pained expression. "'Do we risk it?' she said," he repeats her words back in falsetto. In his normal voice, he goes on, "You just asked Hector... and Bryce... and Lagri! ... if we were going to 'risk it.'" He sighs loudly, shaking his head in exasperation. "Well, divided we fall, and all that. See you at the bottom." He steps over to the open end of the broken pipe and takes the plunge, feet first.

Why are all my friends insane? Then again, maybe I don't want to think too hard about the answer to that particular question.

SilentNight
2009-09-17, 08:43 AM
Kalrin looks over his shoulder at the pipe. He'd be damned if the others saw the dragon first. Tapping Pearl on the shoulder, he says, "You can listen if you like, I've got to make sure they don't all get killed." With that, he hustles over to the pipe and practically jumps down, tucking in his staff and legs.

Toliudar
2009-09-17, 08:48 AM
Pearl

Pearl has barely gotten her question out when Lagri once again leaps into the unknown in a much more literal sense than she'd have thought possible. She searches for words in vain, and watches as Hector, Bryce and Gneiss follow. Well, at least Gneiss could see in the dark.

Dazed, she turns to Kalrin and Tygerlily.

"I was going to ask Gneiss to explain how to undo his "fixing" of the pots. We left some aghar dangling back there, but it wasn't safe to undo it then."

She winced. This could only end in tears. Pearl turns back to the most articulate of the gully dwarves.

"Your friends that are still in the pot - you're either going to need to help them climb up the chain, or else throw some rocks down into the OTHER pot, until the weight in both of them is about the same. And then you'll need to look at the chain where..."

She pauses, watching the aghar focus on the shiny buckle of her belt. Pearl put a hand on the aghar woman's shoulder.

"Well, good luck. And thank you."

She turns back to Tygerlily and Kalrin. Searches for words. Shrugs. She sheathes her sword, tightens the straps on her pack, and starts to climb down the sewer pipe.

wxdruid
2009-09-18, 07:11 PM
The gully dwarves all start talking at once, trying to out do each other with telling what’s at the bottom of the pipe. It’s hard to tell what any one gully dwarf is trying to say. In the meantime, Lagri is shoving Vleric toward the pipe and he doesn’t want to go. After a struggle (and I imagine he’s still tied up), the dragon man is shoved head first down the pipe. There aren’t any immediate crunching sounds from him and Lagri follows after.

Hector climbs in and follows after Lagri, making lots of noise on the way down. Bryce and Gneiss follow soon after. Kalrin, anxious not to be left behind follows Gneiss.

After a moment of jabbering, they pause and listen to Pearl. Despite her worries, she doesn’t need to worry much about the aghar in the pot. They were just waiting for everyone to leave… Tygerlilly shrugs in reply. Seems we’re last. She heaves a dramatic sigh before she laughs and runs and jumps into the pipe, leaving Pearl to follow when she will. Pearl finds that while it might be possible to climb down the pipe, she soon falls on her butt and slides down the long sewer pipe.

Everyone misses the junction to the right and continues to slide on down to the bottom. It’s a long trip.

At the bottom, the sewer pipe breaks through the cavern ceiling only 10 ft above the floor. Vleric lands in a heap on the floor, Lagri ends up on top of him, the others are still enroute. ((make spot checks)) What’s left of the room seems to be upside down. Ceiling rafters span the floor, and the doors hang 3 ft above the rafters. The room is only 20 ft by 20 ft with doors in the south and west walls.

((Only Vleric and Lagri have completed the journey))

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-19, 12:10 AM
Lagri

Lagri barrels with laughter. He pats the scaly pillow beneath him and shoves his head down should he squirm too much. Lagri swings his head wildly looking for the next verse of the expanding Epic of Lagri Tulivalvur.

Spot:[roll0]

Philistine
2009-09-19, 01:47 AM
Spot: [roll0]

codexgigas
2009-09-19, 10:33 AM
Bryce

Annalia
2009-09-19, 10:56 AM
Hector

Sliding down that pipe is definitely one of the most amusing thing Hector has done in a while, although he is not sure it equals vaulting down into the pot.

Gods... spot check? Why must it always be spot? [roll0]

SilentNight
2009-09-19, 11:25 AM
Spot:[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-09-19, 06:20 PM
Lagri is to busy dealing with his thrall to notice one other occupant in this room. Suddenly, without warning, he and Vleric are encased in sticky webbing. ((to escape: Escape Artist or STR check)).

Hector lands on top of the pile of webbing. He gets distracted by the two under him and misses seeing the hug spider as he tumbles off the pile of Lagri and Vleric.

((roll init))

---------- Surprise Round ----------

((In the room at the bottom, Lagri, Vleric and Hector. Still to arrive Bryce, Gneiss, Kalrin, Tygerlilly and Pearl))

Toliudar
2009-09-19, 07:11 PM
Pearl briefly curses her own foolishness as she slid downwards. Rope. I could have attached a rope.

For whever it becomes relevant, Initiative: [roll0]. Spot [roll1]

Philistine
2009-09-19, 11:06 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss snarls silently as he plummets down the shaft.

When I catch up with that maniac...

Since Gneiss is only moments behind Bryce...

Initiative: [roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-20, 01:40 PM
Lagri

Determined to carry on with his momentum, Lagri flexes beneath the silken coat, pushing out with his elbows and attempting to stand.

Initiative:[roll0]
Strength check:[roll1]

codexgigas
2009-09-20, 09:26 PM
Bryce

Initiative: [roll0]

After that spot check, I'm not expecting a high roll here. Still, let's go ahead and get it over with.

wxdruid
2009-09-21, 06:49 PM
Hector tumbles off the pile and gets up, he hasn’t spotted the spider yet.

Lagri easily breaks free, but Vleric is unlucky and is left struggling in the strands that bind his wings and legs.

Bryce comes through behind Hector and misses Lagri, but lands on Vleric, making it even harder for him to escape from the webbing.

The spider ends up fumbling with something in its hidden spot. ((rolled a 1))

---------- Round 1 ----------

Gneiss 20
Lagri 14
Bryce 10
Hector 8
Pearl 2
Tygerlilly
Vleric
Spider

Kalrin

((In the room at the bottom, Lagri, Vleric and Hector. Still to arrive Bryce, Gneiss, Kalrin, Tygerlilly and Pearl))

Annalia
2009-09-21, 08:35 PM
Hector

"Webby!" Hector commented with a smirk. "It's a god thing we have no eight-legged freak companion to grant us. Might have spelt trouble."

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-22, 08:52 PM
Lagri

Lagri dashes towards the spider, skirting his halberd's edge along the stone floor in his charge. He hefts the pommel into his left hand and takes an upward swipe at the arachnid.

Charging, -2 for PA.

Annalia
2009-09-23, 09:57 AM
Hector

For once, Hector was content to stand by and watch the other tumble down the slide - something he expected to be an amusing show. The sound of Lagri's halberd rattling on the stone floor makes him turn around, though, and he finally catches sight of the 'eight-legged freak'.

"Should've known..." he muttered. He cupped his hands to his mouth and directed his next shout at the sewer slide. "Spidery company down here! Get your asses over!"

In truth, Hector doubted the monster would survive both Lagri and him, but he thought it only fair to give them a chance to join the fun. Amazed at his own generosity, he took out the ranseur and charged the spider.

Move to it if I cannot charge (webbing would stop it if it's in the way, I think). Otherwise, PA -4/+8 (+2 for charge).

[roll0] and [roll1]

AC 19, HP 37/48

EDIT: Damage should have been +17, but I think that's pointless anyway.

wxdruid
2009-09-26, 02:44 PM
Lagri rushes the spider and gets a solid attack and feels his halberd sink deep into the spider’s body.

Bryce shoots out of the sewer pipe and right onto the trapped Vleric on the floor. ((get untangled and up this round, fight the next))

Hector is on the far side and has to go around Vleric and now Bryce to get at the spider in the far corner.

Vleric is flattened by Bryce and something cracks under his weight. Vleric grunts and begins struggling anew to get out of the webbing and out of the way. The most he does is manage to roll to one side.

The huge spider retreats further into the corner and throws a web at Lagri. The sticky webbing encases him and holds him still, ((Need STR check to break free)).

---------- Round 2 ----------

Gneiss 20
Lagri 14
Bryce 10
Hector 8
Pearl 2
Tygerlilly
Vleric
Spider

Kalrin

((In the room at the bottom, Lagri, Vleric, Hector, Bryce. Still to arrive Gneiss, Kalrin, Tygerlilly and Pearl. Sorry about the lateness, had medical problems with one of my cats for the past few days.))

Philistine
2009-09-26, 04:00 PM
Gneiss

As he continues to fall, Gneiss suddenly realizes that he's made a terrible mistake: he should have let Pearl go ahead of him. Now she's probably hurtling down the shaft somewhere behind him, meaning that he's in danger of being crushed beneath her heavy armor once they both reach the bottom of the shaft. Cursing his parents for having raised such a foolish son, he readies himself to roll sideways when he hits the ground.

codexgigas
2009-09-27, 02:04 PM
Bryce

Bryce slowly stands and untangles himself from the sticky threads. "Ugh," he sighs, "why couldn't we have found a cleaner abandoned ruin?"

GrassyGnoll
2009-09-27, 02:49 PM
Lagri smash!

Str:[roll0]

Annalia
2009-10-01, 11:24 PM
Hertz

As part of him wished he had the talent to go over Bryce and Vleric, Hector ran around the obstacles and to the eight-legged freak he intended to participate in killing.

Double-movement if needed. If I could get there with one, use the rolls in the other post (although I do recall something about them being bad. Oh well!)

wxdruid
2009-10-02, 07:08 PM
Gneiss arrives and suddenly drops out of the ceiling onto the hard floor, nothing to cushion him from the fall. He manages to roll the opposite way from Vleric and avoids getting stuck to him.

Lagri smashes out of the webbing as he flexes his mighty muscles.

Vleric is very unsuccessful in his attempts and remains trapped in webbing.

Hector goes around the people still recovering from the fall and attacks the huge spider. In his enthusiasm to join the fight, he misses the spider.

Bryce stands and unsticks himself.

The spider views all these potential opponents and lunges forward and viciously bites Hector. ((roll a fort save DC 16 against poison or lose 8 STR))

---------- Round 3 ----------

Gneiss 20
Lagri 14
Bryce 10
Hector 8 (dam: 15)
Pearl 2
Tygerlilly
Vleric
Spider

Kalrin

((In the room at the bottom, Lagri, Vleric, Hector, Bryce, Gneiss. Still to arrive Kalrin, Tygerlilly and Pearl.))

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-02, 10:46 PM
Lagri

The barbarian darts forward, meaning to corner the arachnid. Lagri leads with his halberd's barb and stabs at the flexing chelicerae of the spider. With each jab he shuffles forward. The vermin's fang hang over its diminutive assailant's axe head.

Charging, -3 for PA

Philistine
2009-10-02, 10:52 PM
Gneiss

It takes Gneiss a few seconds to recover from the hard landing. Scrambling to his feet, he looks around at the group's new surroundings.

Annalia
2009-10-04, 02:32 PM
Hector

There is a sharp intake of breath as Hector is bitten and he reflexively steps back. His eyes go wide when he feels his muscle weaken and his first impulse is to shake his arm wildly - as if the trashing could get the poison out.

It seems to work, too, because he feels almost immediately better. Angry at himself for letting his guard down and angry at the spider for taking advantage of it, Hector glares at the eight-legged monster and snaps his ranseur back into action.

For once, he remains silent.

All of this, of course, provided Lagri hasn't reduced it to a pulp! The Fort Save is in the OOC thread, for 17. :smallsmile:

PA -2/+4
[roll0] and [roll1]

AC 19, HP 22/48

codexgigas
2009-10-04, 02:37 PM
Bryce

Bryce bellows "Solamnia!" as he charges toward the spider, freeing his sword and shield along the way.

Bryce will charge for a +2 to attack/-2 to defense, if the terrain permits. He'll power attack at a -2 penalty, thus negating his charge bonus. [If the charge isn't permissible, the attack roll will be two lower, obviously.] AC decreases to 22 until the start of his next turn.

All rolls have been adjusted for Power Attack.

Crit Confirm (Longsword): [roll1]
Damage (Longsword): [roll2]

wxdruid
2009-10-04, 06:08 PM
Gneiss scrambles to his feet and the most immediate concern is Lagri and Hector attacking a huge spider in the corner.

Lagri darts forward, trapping the spider in the corner as he applies brute force with a sharp edge. By the time he’s finished…

Bryce joins the fray only to find out that the spider is so much goo and pulp.

Hector feels the bite of the poison, but manages to shake it off before he feels the full effect. He gets the feeling that it would have significantly weakened him.

Pearl and Tygerlilly are still making their way down the pipe, there’s a faint sound of laughter. Kalrin shoots out in front of them and onto the hard floor.

Vleric is enraged as he struggles and finally frees himself. He stands and it’s obvious there is damage to one wing, but he’s more concerned about getting the filthy spider webs off himself.

---------- Round 4 ----------

Gneiss 20
Lagri 14
Bryce 10
Pearl 2
Tygerlilly
Vleric
Spider (dead)

Kalrin

((In the room at the bottom, Lagri, Vleric, Hector, Bryce, Gneiss, Kalrin. Still to arrive Tygerlilly and Pearl.))

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-04, 07:03 PM
Lagri

Lagri heaves his halberd out of the perforated remains of the spider. He steps back and out from between the monster's massive fangs to admire his handiwork. The pool of ichor did not surprise him so much as how well he had compacted it into the wall. Lagri grips the beast's fangs and rips them out as a trophy. He measures them against his hands and neck, imagining how they'd look in a necklace or fetish.

Lagri looks up and laughs deeply.

"Zis is for vat icefolk haf no fear! Hukk vältimatu! Not-escapable death!"

The barbarian walks back to pick up his thrall. He rips most of the webbing off the dragonman's legs and neck, only to wrap it thicker over his rope bindings and mouth.

SilentNight
2009-10-05, 08:36 AM
Standing up gingerly, Kalrin gives the smashed spider a look of surprise. He then looks at Lagri and puts together what happened. Walking over to the barbarian, Kalrin looks with great interest at Lagri's totem construction.

wxdruid
2009-10-05, 08:20 PM
Lagri rips out the fangs out of the beast’s head before he walks over and further ties up a furious Vleric. When he tries to gag him, Vleric lunges to try and bite him, but misses completely and Lagri succeeds in gagging him.

Kalrin gets up only to have Tygerlilly land on him, fortunately she’s light. She tumbles off him and lands with a Ta-Da on the floor. She giggles, she can’t help it, Wasn’t that great Kalrin! It was such great fun! Didn’t you hear me all the way down! She falls over laughing, completely missing the spider stain in the corner and Vleric’s furious look.

Pearl is next to arrive…

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-05, 08:49 PM
Having gagged his thrall, Lagri locks his hands around the bellicose dragonman's neck and gives a pair of warning pumps to his neck.

"Hyu vait till hyu meet icefolk voman! Hyu try zat, she break hyur face!"

SilentNight
2009-10-06, 08:41 AM
Picking himself up, Kalrin returns the chuckle. "I did indeed hear you little one, that's how I knew we were still going somewhere, and we hadn't all been whisked to some never-ending pipe dimension." Looking back up the pipe, Kalrin muses to himself, "Although this does make me wish I'd picked up that levitation spell when I had the chance."

Annalia
2009-10-06, 11:43 AM
Hector

"We'll find a way up when the dragon's done for."

Though disappointed that he was denied a chance at comeback for the spider, Hector remained cheerful. If he thought the dragon would be any harder, he certainly didn't show.

"We're still missing the Lady Pearl, I believe."

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-06, 12:17 PM
Lagri

Made aware of his party's circumstances and position, Lagri turns back to the assembled adventurers.

"Da, ve are missink voman jarl. But vere ve goink after zis? Un vat signifies 'die-men-zun?'

Recognizing that a lull like this was the best time to receive edification on mainland culture, Lagri turns to Kalrin.

"Un hyu know mainland kirjanik, ja? I vish to buy kirjanik for makink charm oof spider teef."

codexgigas
2009-10-06, 04:30 PM
Bryce

The knight sheaths his sword and shield, looking a little disappointed that all the action was over before he joined in. "So," he begins, "has anyone seen any of the gully dwarves around? I don't know how we're going to find this Highblip or whatever without them."

wxdruid
2009-10-06, 05:43 PM
Vleric is unrepentant, but he doesn’t do anything in retaliation to Lagri’s rough handling and he doesn’t really understand a word he just said.

After a few moments, Tygerlilly bounds up, Ah, that was great! She starts trying to wipe off her clothes with a rag she pulled out of a pouch.

Pearl pops out of the pipe next and barely misses Kalrin, she lands heavily on the floor.

It’s unknown whether or not any gully dwarves followed the group or not.

Hector (dam: 15)

Annalia
2009-10-06, 06:55 PM
Hector

As soon as Pearl is out of the pipe and to the ground, Hector shuffles over and extends a hand to help her up. "Welcome in the hall of squished spider, mylady."

Toliudar
2009-10-06, 07:30 PM
Pearl

Pearl grunts, and lifts a hand to Hector, requesting his help up. She glances over at Lagri and the remnants of the spider.

"Charming. On the other hand, I suppose that squished is better than not-squished in this context.

"Anyone know where we are now? Gneiss - do you have any sense of how far we just slid?"

Annalia
2009-10-06, 08:44 PM
Hector

"It is, yes," Hector replied, unconsciously reaching for his deep bite gash. It was more painful than he cared to admit to anyone but he hoped the wound wouldn't go bad. I'll check it tonight. Or whenever we rest.

SilentNight
2009-10-06, 10:35 PM
Kalrin merely stares at Lagri for a good minute, taking a while to register the barbarian was addressing him, and then longer to extract his meaning from the tangled mire of accent. "Another dimension is.......another world, that doesn't follow our rules," he explains. A little put off by Lagri's request, he adds, "As far as enchanting the teeth, I could probably do something depending on what you want. Otherwise there's plenty of wizards to be found when we get out of here." Then an inquisitive look come over Kalrin, "Lagri, would you mind speaking a little bit more of your language? That accent's perculiar."

Philistine
2009-10-06, 10:37 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss finishes brushing the dust off his clothing and pauses to look around the chamber, finishing by turning his gaze briefly on the ceiling above before answering Pearl's question.

Search: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Looking for tracks. Particularly tracks that lead toward an exit. :smallwink:

Also, and this may have been stated earlier and I missed it, but: what sort of light source do we have down here?

EDIT: Oh, come on.

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-06, 11:09 PM
Lagri

"Suitsetanud tass minu piip, pilves sees saun" Lagri pronounces in a sibilant, yet husky voice.

"I do not need vizard kirjanik, I look for totem kirjanik," he continues, "A man oof crafts un arts."

The rough translation from Estonian: Sitting in the sauna, I smoked my pipe.

Throw in some meatballs and you have the most stereotypical Finnic scene possible.

codexgigas
2009-10-07, 05:52 AM
Bryce

"Hector, you'd better let me take a look at that bite," Bryce says, loosing the staff from its bindings across his back as he walks over to Hector and Pearl. "It could be poisoned, and we don't want to find that out later."

As he examines the bite, Bryce realizes that he doesn't really know what he's looking at or for. Smiling a bit ruefully, he mutters a prayer to Mishakal and touches the wound with the staff--just in case.

Heal: Take 10 for a roll of 13

Gotta love untrained skill checks.

SilentNight
2009-10-07, 08:43 AM
Kalrin nods, here was something he didn't know before. Then however, he shakes his head, "In that case my friend, I cannot help you. Can't be too hard to find though."

Annalia
2009-10-07, 06:38 PM
Hector

"It is poisoned, I think," Hector said, already fairly certain what that muscle-tightening feeling was. If he was aware that was not reassuring in the least, it did not show. "I've taken worse in the arena."

Philistine
2009-10-07, 09:21 PM
Gneiss

"We're more than a hundred feet deeper than we were," Gneiss says after a moment, "And I hope there's some other way to get back out of here, because I don't much want to think about trying to climb up the way we came down. We have a more immediate problem, though." He slips his dagger from its sheathe and gestures toward Vleric. "The dragon-man. It's not just that he's not helping us, or even that he's slowing us down: 'surrendered' or not, he's clearly waiting for his first chance to betray us to his comrades. Dragging him along is going to get us all killed."

wxdruid
2009-10-07, 11:50 PM
Gneiss notices that the ceiling used to be the floor and the floor used to be the ceiling. There are two doors leading out of this room, one in the west wall and one to the south. There are faint tracks leading out both of the doors.

There is a dim light coming from the spider’s web. The light is slowly dimming and goes out in less than a minute.

Bryce takes a look at Hector’s wound in the dim light and as a warrior and knight he knows that it’s serious. He touches the staff to the wound and with his prayer to Mishakal it closes up, and Hector will feel much improved.

Tygerlilly laughs a little and begins investigating, she’s curious about where they are. When she reaches the giant spider she looks up at in awe, Wow! I can’t imagine what it looked like when it wasn’t smushed. That is one dead bug!

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-08, 02:20 AM
Lagri

Lagri gestures towards Vleric with a flippant upward wave.

"Hyu are feared oof rope-covered man? He kick hyu to deaf maybe? Or valk like leetle svimmink-snow-bird for to help?"

The barbarian grabs his captive by the scalp, bowing his head and dragging him along as he walks for the southern door.

Toliudar
2009-10-08, 02:34 AM
Pearl

Pearl shrugs at Gneiss.

"The Measure says, 'It is sometimes needful to make a tactical error in order to make a strategic victory.' Perhaps this...Vleric will prove the key to something important."

She glances ahead at the trussed, gag, snarling creature.

"In the future. Sometime. I hope. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why anyone would build a building upside down and a hundred feet underground."

She slides her sword off of her back, and follows Lagri.

Annalia
2009-10-08, 03:39 PM
Hector

Hector was about to thanks Bryce when he heard Pearl's question. He looked puzzled and tilted his head to the side. "You think it was built that way?"

wxdruid
2009-10-08, 04:11 PM
Lagri drags off an irritated and frustrated Vleric by the crest on his head. He stumbles a few times as they walk across the old ceiling and through the southern door. In the next room, everything is dark.

codexgigas
2009-10-10, 08:17 PM
Bryce

Bryce kneels down and begins to rummage through his pack. He pulls out two torches and flint and steel. Lighting the torches, he hands one to Hector and the other to Pearl before returning the flint and steel to his pack. He straightens up, replacing the pack and the staff across his back. "Well, I suppose we should get moving. We're not going to find anything standing here," he says. "I'd be more than willing to take one of those torches back. I can fight without my shield if need be."

Philistine
2009-10-11, 11:20 AM
Gneiss

Gneiss frowns at Pearl, shaking his head. "You knights and your Measure. Hunting a dragon in its lair isn't enough of a 'tactical error' for you already, so we need to drag along the mad savage's rebellious slave?" he grumbles.

"Plus, I think we've been had. The gullies don't come this way - there aren't enough tracks, and they surely weren't getting past that." he points toward the enormous crushed spider. "Anyway, I need to stick close enough to gut the dragon-man when he tries to turn on us." Weapons in hand, he turns and stumps off after Lagri and Vleric.

Annalia
2009-10-11, 11:33 AM
Hector

"It was another way down and that was the goal, no?" Hector said. He took the torch and eagerly advanced through the door, following Gneiss. "You shouldn't worry about Vleric so much. We have killed dozens of his easily before. I'd just rather not attack a bound opponent."

SilentNight
2009-10-11, 02:49 PM
Kalrin gives a look at the dragon-man. "I think we could maybe learn some more from him, like the layout perhaps, how many guards this dragon has. Feel like answering Vleric?" As the group moves into the next room, Kalrin whispers, Laissé il y ait lumière," and the ring on his finger comes alight.

wxdruid
2009-10-11, 06:11 PM
As a light source comes into the southern room it reveals rotted cots in a jumble on the floor. Water drips from the shuttered windows, collecting in depressions on the floor. The overflow drains through the northern door.

Tygerlilly is distracted from her searching as the others start to leave her behind, Hey, wait up! as she scrambles after them and over the door sill.

There's are double doors about 20ft down on the west wall. The windows are on the western side of the room.

Philistine
2009-10-12, 09:31 PM
Gneiss

"Those shouldn't be here - not this deep underground, not in a Human settlement." Gneiss moves quickly toward the windows, angling to keep an eye on Lagri and Vleric as he goes.

Spot: [roll0] and
Listen: [roll1] at the windows.

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-13, 02:11 PM
Lagri

"Hyu vant to hold him?" Lagri offers Vleric to Kalrin like a petulant puppy.

Momentarily, he is distracted by Gneiss' observation and meanders over.

"Zis memories me oof hull oof sleepink. Only, hyu haf vord for eet on land, somezing like 'bare-rocks.' Is hyu-mer-us, for I haf not seen yet mainlanders sleep on rocks."

wxdruid
2009-10-13, 06:57 PM
The windows are shuttered tight and there isn’t anything unusual about them. Although you aren’t sure what would happen if you tried to open them. The hinges look quite rusted.

Toliudar
2009-10-13, 07:43 PM
"This is indeed a puzzler."

Pearl steps into the corridor with the others, moving to the double doors. She tries to peer through any cracks or keyholes, and looks to see if the hinges are in any better shape than those of the window shutters. Unless she spots something dangerous, Pearl will then try opening one of the doors.

codexgigas
2009-10-13, 08:34 PM
Bryce

"I don't think the city was always underground," Bryce says to Gneiss. "It probably sank into the swamp because of the Cataclysm."

SilentNight
2009-10-14, 08:41 AM
Kalrin nods in agreement. "Probably flipped upside then too. Wish I could've seen it."

Toliudar
2009-10-14, 09:04 AM
Pearl

Pearl speak softly from the far end of the hallway.

"I suspect that the Cataclysm felt less magificent from the inside, if you take my meaning, Kalrin. I rather doubt that the original occupants of this house - if it is a house - enjoyed the ride."

Annalia
2009-10-14, 01:39 PM
Hector

"With any luck, they were not home when it happened," Hector replied. He could not imagine being trapped into his house as it sank into the ground. With all the weapons his father hung around, it couldn't end well.

wxdruid
2009-10-14, 01:41 PM
Pearl peeks through the keyholes on the doors in the western wall. It's hard to see anything on the other side, everything is dark. The doors look like they'd open with a loud protest, but probably not fall off their hinges. Tygerlilly is busy examining an upside down window. This is really very odd. I don't remember seeing windows like this before. She starts fiddling with it to try and open it. I wonder what's on the other side?

Toliudar
2009-10-14, 01:58 PM
Pearl

Bracing herself as best she can using the ceiling rafters, Pearl gives a good one-armed yank on the door.

wxdruid
2009-10-15, 05:21 PM
Pearl gives a mighty yank and the door gives way. When she looks in the next room she sees broken tables and chairs sprawled around the room. Swamp water seeps in through the shuttered windows and collects in pools among the ceiling beams below. A huge fireplace against the south wall (nearest the door where Pearl is), receives the overflow, which drains down the chimney. Thin music and hollow laughter float through the hall. Overhead, spirits float upside down as if sitting at tables, laughing and joking over their long-finished meal. They don't react to the noise Pearl made by opening the door.

Tygerlilly is pulling ineffectively on the window shutters, probably because she's bracing herself with her feet on the wall next to the handle and it isn't working to well.

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-15, 09:13 PM
Lagri

"Vahvus püha," Lagri whispers at the sight. The shaman of his tribe would bargain away a cog's hull worth of brew and powders to commune in this place.

Lagri turns back to Kalrin and Bryce. He was still fuzzy about just what it was mainland kirjaniks did and which spirit had presently favored Bryce with his staff.

"Hyu," he vaguely indicates them both, "Make ritual, da? Much spirits for good favors."

Philistine
2009-10-15, 10:28 PM
Gneiss

Standing near the shuttered windows, Gneiss looks over at the sound of Pearl levering the door open and sees the spirits in the next room. He closes his eyes for a moment, then opens them again: no good, they're still there. "This place just keeps getting better and better," he mutters.

Toliudar
2009-10-16, 12:54 AM
Pearl's relief that she isn't buried in rubble as the door opens gives way to a cold, dark furrow as she hears, and then sees, the strange spirits goofing off on the "floor". Instinctively, she raises her sword in a defensive posture, but takes no offensive action against the strange spirits.

"Welll, at least they're not dragons."

codexgigas
2009-10-16, 08:18 AM
Bryce

"Huma help us," Bryce whispers, the color draining from his face. He slowly removes the staff from its bindings across his back, suddenly afraid of making any sudden movements. He wasn't sure what, if anything, the staff could do, but he was willing to bet that it was more than his sword could.

Religion check to see what Bryce knows about ghosts.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]

Toliudar
2009-10-16, 11:44 AM
Pearl

Maintaining her ready stance, Pearl steps cautiously into the room, examining what she could of the "new" floor while getting a look at what was going on above her. She ducks well out of the way of any spirits that come close to her.

Any chance she can tell, for instance by the spirits' clothing, whether the spirits are from Cataclysm-time, or more recent?

SilentNight
2009-10-16, 01:01 PM
As Kalrin walks into the room, he looks up in wonder at the spirits. "Do you think they're from the Cataclysm? I wonder what they're still doing here."

Knowledge(Arcana):[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-10-16, 08:46 PM
The spirits on the ‘floor’ don’t react when the party enters the room. They’re wearing pre-cataclysm clothing.

Bryce: There are different types of spirits, some are violent, others aren’t, these seem to be the second sort. He remembers from his history that clerics used to be able to control or turn spirits.

Kalrin: There are different types of spirits, some are violent, others aren’t, these seem to be the second sort. They probably died when the cataclysm occurred and haven’t passed on.

Tygerlilly finally gets the window open and the shutter clatters to the ground, probably startling everyone. She peers out the window, Wow! That’s a long ways down!

codexgigas
2009-10-16, 09:15 PM
Bryce

"I don't think we have anything to fear from the ghosts," Bryce calls ahead to Pearl. "If we leave them alone, they should leave us alone." He follows her into the room.

Toliudar
2009-10-16, 11:21 PM
Pearl

Since the spirits seem to have no interest in making her life more difficult, Pearl decides that she has no interest in making their death more difficult. She lowers her blade and, keeping low to avoid the spirits, heads over to the fireplace. She sees if there's anything unusual to the mantle, and looks up/down the chimney to see where the water is draining.

Search [roll0]

wxdruid
2009-10-17, 01:42 PM
water trickles down the chimney which descends from the fireplace. A medium-sized creature can easily climb down, and there are plenty of handholds in the loosened bricks to help him descend. It's to dark to see what is at the bottom.

Tygerlilly finding out that there isn't anything interesting outside the windows and suddenly realizing that everyone is headed into the next room, she pops her head back in the window. Hey... wait for me! She skips along a ceiling beam over to the door and right on through. She notices the spirits on the ceiling, Hey Pearl! There are ghosts on the ceiling! She watches them for a moment, her head tilted at an awkward angle, What are they eating and drinking? Surely there isn't anything still good down here. More to herself she asks, I wonder what ghost food and drink tastes like? Or, what it would be like to sit on the ceiling and not on the floor. How would that work...wouldn't you always be falling down? hmmmmm

Vleric follows wherever he's dragged to and he's in a foul mood.

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-20, 04:38 PM
Lagri

Lagri frowns at his companions passive attitude taken toward the spirits.

"Fine, ve keel dragon vitout spirit blessink. I tink mainlanders are not knowink how to call spirits right anyvay."

The barbarians peers down the chimney, coiling Vleric's leash in thought. Without warning, Lagri sweeps the bound dragonman off his feet like an oversized baby and, cradling his captive just over his waist, throws his own back against that of the inside chimney. The icefolk's feet scurry against the opposite side, scratching out holds to support the two's weight. With caution and no shortage of calve flexing he climbs down.

Toliudar
2009-10-20, 04:40 PM
Pearl

Pearl looks up from the chimney, and hit by Tygerlily's barrage of thought.

"Er. Yes. I suspect that, as ghosts, ghost food tastes good. I suppose that we should at least be grateful that these people were killed while eating and not engaged in more energetic pursuits."

She calls back to her companions.

"There may be a way out over here. Not a particularly safe or comfortable way, but a way out nonetheless."

She points down the chimney.

Annalia
2009-10-20, 04:53 PM
Hector

"Leave them alone?" Hector repeats at Bryce's words, visibly a bit disappointed. He wanted to touch and nudge them, to ask a boatful of question... to do something with them. "You just happen on a spectral manifestation and go 'oh, let's leave them alone? But this is unique! Maybe they know what happened. They sure look like old-fashioned spirits!"

Plus, a glance at the chimney did not encourage him to leave the place anytime soon. "Come on, we can't pass this up."

wxdruid
2009-10-20, 05:40 PM
Lagri grabs the trussed and gagged Vleric, bundles him up wings and all and heads down the chimney. The small space is cramped with the extra mass. There are plenty of hand and footholds in the loosened brick of the chimney. He reaches a point where his feet don’t find anything to brace against. When he finally twists enough to look down, it’s dark, but the chimney ends and there is an open space below, he’s just not sure how far down it is to the floor.

Tygerlilly is wandering around the room staring with great interest in the spirits on the ceiling. She’s trying to talk to them, but they seem to be ignoring her attempts to communicate.

Toliudar
2009-10-20, 06:07 PM
Pearl

Reasoning that if anything could arouse centuries-old spirits from a pattern of obliviousness, it would be an inquisitive Kender, Pearl quickly sheathes her blade and climbs carefully down the chimney, giving a bit of room to Santa Claus and his bag of goodies Lagri and Vleric.

codexgigas
2009-10-20, 06:38 PM
Bryce

"Yes, we can pass this up," Bryce says, grabbing Hector's arm. "We're going to leave the ghosts alone and go down the chimney if I have to drag you the whole way. I'm all for bravery and new experiences, but I'm not about to let you upset ghosts."

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-20, 07:26 PM
Lagri

"Ride is up," Lagri announces. The barbarian heaves his thrall over his lap and into the darkness. Lagri bends his ear to listen and follows suit several seconds later.

Annalia
2009-10-20, 09:52 PM
Hector

"Who said I was going to upset them?" Hector said. He let Bryce drag him off a bit before shaking out of his hold. "They might know something of old gods. Here I thought that was our goal!"

There is a strangle slyness in Hector tone that Bryce knows well. As a boy, he would only get this tone when he grew convinced he had found to perfect argument to lead Bryce into his pranks.

SilentNight
2009-10-20, 10:29 PM
Kalrin looks at the chimney and then up at the ghosts, he was loathe to pass up an opportunity such as this. "I'm with Hector," he calls over. "Excuse me my good deceased gentlemen and women," he half-shouts at the ceiling, raising his ring, "Can you hear us?"

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-20, 11:17 PM
Lagri

Lagri belays his own drop to call up the chimney, "Hyu are makink call of spirits?"

Perched in his brick tube, Lagri peers up, waiting for some communion between the spirits and present company.

codexgigas
2009-10-21, 06:00 AM
Bryce

"Huma help us," the knight groans, tightening his grip on the staff.

Annalia
2009-10-21, 12:30 PM
Hector

Hector grinned, mildly surprised to be siding with Kalrin for once. "I'm sure he will," he whispered at Bryce before waiting to see if the spirits answered.

wxdruid
2009-10-21, 01:05 PM
Tygerlilly is trying to get the spirits attention, she tried talking to them. She looked around for a way to climb on the ceiling and didn't find anything either. She hmphs to herself. Well...can't get up there, and they don't seem to hear me... She looks around and then tries to poke one with her hoopak...

Kalrin yells up at a table, but they continue their eating and drinking. They ignore him and the light from his ring.

Philistine
2009-10-22, 12:55 AM
Gneiss

Gneiss releases the breath he had been holding when Kalrin tried to call up to the long-dead spirits. "Good, and better than good," he calls out from the doorway. He continues his thought as he quickly crosses the room to the inverted hearth. "We don't bother them, and they don't bother us. I say we leave it at that. Now let's go on, I'm sure the mad barbarian is getting into all kinds of exciting new trouble down this chimney - that seems to be what he does."

wxdruid
2009-10-22, 01:51 AM
Lagri hears a thud and a grunt below him as Vleric hits the ground. It didn't take very long, so the floor shouldn't be that far away...

SilentNight
2009-10-22, 08:40 AM
With a resigned sigh, Kalrin admits defeat and heads towards the chimney. "So much for that," he says regretfully.

Annalia
2009-10-22, 01:58 PM
Hector

"Yeah... too bad."

With little more than a shrug, Hector heads to the chimney. He'll wait for his turn before making his way down.

wxdruid
2009-10-22, 04:11 PM
Tygerlilly pokes it with her hoopak and the ghost simply vanishes. She sighs in annoyance, Oh well, at least I saw some real live spirits. She looks around with interest and everyone seems to be headed for the chimney, Are we going down? What's down there? Do we know yet?

If/when Lagri drops down, he lands on the dragon man and something else crunches and the Vleric is even less happy.

((give me climb checks for going down the chimney))

codexgigas
2009-10-24, 08:56 AM
Bryce

Thankful that the ghosts are gone, the knight heads down the chimney when his turn comes.

SilentNight
2009-10-24, 12:21 PM
Kalrin heads down after Bryce with one last regretful look.

Climb:[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-10-24, 02:18 PM
Lagri drops down after Vleric and makes a nice tasty crunching sound as he lands on the dragon man. Vleric grunts, but there is little else he can do.

Bryce is next down into the darkness. He misses several handholds and falls the rest of the way, landing heavily on the cavern floor, just missing the Lagri/Vleric pile.

Kalrin gathers his robes and belongings and carefully makes it down the chimney. When he finds the end he drops heavily to the floor. Now that there is light… The remnants of the chimney hang down from the ceiling and water trickles from it and fissures in the surrounding walls. To the west the cavern floor slants sharply and the water follows the channel down the center of the 10 ft wide passage. The cavern is about 15ft by 45ft and everything is very muddy.

Still up top

Gneiss
Tygerlilly
Pearl
Hector

Down the chimney

Lagri/Vleric – climb check 19
Bryce – climb check -2
Kalrin – climb check 16

Philistine
2009-10-25, 10:54 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss winces at the racket as Bryce slips. "Hope there's nothing down there we'd rather see before it sees us," he says, swinging out into the chimney and beginning his own descent.

Toliudar
2009-10-26, 07:27 PM
Climb [roll0]

wxdruid
2009-10-27, 05:31 PM
Pearl and Gneiss climb down the chimney and drop the last few feet to join the others in the cavern below the upside down tavern. Tygerlilly climbs down after them after a regretful last look at the ceiling. The spirits were very interesting, even if they wouldn’t talk back to her. She starts plopping through the mud and gunk on the floor and peering around them in the flickering torch light and the light from Kalrin's ring. So far, she isn't very impressed. It was much cooler up there... This is boring.

Hector is the last person up top, nothing has really changed and he has one of the torches.

Still up top

Hector

Down the chimney

Lagri/Vleric – climb check 19
Bryce – climb check -2
Kalrin – climb check 16
Gneiss – climb check 11
Pearl – climb check 12
Tygerlilly – climb check 14

Annalia
2009-10-27, 10:53 PM
Hector

After waiting for everyone to go down, Hector casts a last longing look at the spirits and follows the rest of the group.

Still alive, I swear!

[roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2009-10-28, 01:20 AM
Lagri

Lagri picks up Vleric by the back of his neck and pulls him out from under the chimney.

"Hyu do vell, Wleric. Hyu are learnink," he announces.

The barbarian shakes his head of excess mud and grit and gleams half-civilized side to side with his captive.

"Ve go under more, da?"

Philistine
2009-10-28, 01:46 AM
Gneiss

"More mud?" Gneiss lifts his feet one at a time, surveying the latest outrage to be suffered by his footwear. "I thought we were done with that. I certainly hoped we were done with that."

Looking around, there only seems to be one way to go from here. "If we're all ready, let's keep moving," he says, starting down the passageway.

Listen: [roll1]

Toliudar
2009-10-28, 02:59 AM
Pearl

Pearl does her best to wipe the worst of the muck from the top two thirds of herself, and checks that Tally is still clear and accessible.

"Well, we are in a swamp. Under a swamp, really. So a little mud does make sense, I guess."

She pauses, thinking about the upside down building that they had just escaped via a chimney, pointed downwards.

"Well, as much as anything makes sense. Um. "

Once Hector is safely down, she helps him up and then encourages the group to start off after Gneiss.

codexgigas
2009-10-28, 05:14 AM
Bryce

Trudging along after Gneiss, Bryce grumbles, "I never want to set foot in a swamp again after this. My armor is going to take days to clean."

wxdruid
2009-10-28, 03:49 PM
Hector successfully climbs down the chimney and lands on the ground with everyone else.

Vleric’s eyes glitter in the dim light as he stares back at Lagri.

Gneiss sets off into the darkness, the lights bob after him casting flickering light on the walls. The stream in the middle is difficult to stay out of, it has worn a groove down the middle and soon your shoes and boots are seeping with water. Tygerlilly lifts her feet high each time despairing that her beloved boots will never be their original color ever again.

The steepening floor of the cavern suddenly narrows into a smooth, yard wide vertical drain. Water, collected from all the fissures in the cavern, swirls steadily down the sides of the shaft. On the other side of the slippery drain, there is more to the cavern. Gneiss can vaguely see that there might be an exit on the other side.

((Two choices – go down the drain? Or go around it?))

wxdruid
2009-10-30, 11:08 PM
*trudge*

*trudge*

*slop* as someone almost falls over in the mud.

As you skirt around the drain, it looks like the cavern ends on the far side and it looks like it goes into a hallway of some sort. Tygerlilly is anxious to get out of the mud and guck and hurries ahead of the torchlight. She gets to the hallway and pauses to try and get some of the mud off her colorful clothing, but, she sighs, it looks pretty far gone to her. She twists her topknot, squeezing water and mud out of it. Well? as the others approach her. Are we going to get there? Or does this place go on forever?

Vleric trudges through the mud, just trying to stay upright.

Toliudar
2009-10-31, 09:23 AM
Pearl

Pearl struggles to maintain her balance in the slippery muck, fearing that if she fell she might not be able to get back up. Or, worse, that she'd need help.

[COLOR="Purple"]"Steady on. A little bit further, and you'll have a great story to tell, about how you got out of a massive underground whirlpool."COLOR]

Philistine
2009-10-31, 11:23 AM
Gneiss

"Oh, it'll be an epic tale all right," Gneiss laughs sourly, shaking his head. While the others are catching up, he moves off to scout a few yards up the hallway.

Search: [roll2]

wxdruid
2009-10-31, 04:37 PM
Really? A whirlpool, that's a cool way to say it. I narrowly escaped from being pulled down the clutching tendrils of the whirlpool. I barely made it around the edge with the mud and water sucking at my wonderful boots. Sweet!

Over the sound of Tygerlilly, Gneiss hears voices ahead. When he pauses to listen, he hears several arguing voices, This way, we go this way!

No, we go that way, that way is up!

No, we go down!

We go down?

Yes, down!

Okay... we go down.

The voices are coming from a room nearby. The hallway goes off into the darkness and there is a doorway off to the right side about 1/2 half way up the hallway.

Philistine
2009-11-01, 12:25 AM
Gneiss

Gneiss stops in his tracks at the sound of strange voices. He holds up one hand to call for silence as he glides forward each footfall placed carefully. His other hand goes to his belt, checking his weapons to be sure they'll come free on a heartbeat's notice.

Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

wxdruid
2009-11-01, 12:32 AM
Gneiss creeps closer, the voices become more familiar... He cautiously peeks around a corner and there's a gaggle of gully dwarves in the room.

Tygerlilly stops and is quiet for a moment while Gneiss does his investigating.

The gully dwarves seem intent on trying to figuring out if they want to go up or down. One of them is insisting they go down.

Philistine
2009-11-01, 12:48 AM
Gneiss

With a quiet sigh of relief, Gneiss straightens up and beckons the rest of the group forward. "Hello in there," he calls softly, trying not to startle the gullies any more than he has to.

SilentNight
2009-11-01, 10:30 AM
Come here my little friend," Kalrin beckons to Tigerlilly, removing the mud from her after he does his own clothing via prestidigitation. "Anyone else need some cleaning?"

Toliudar
2009-11-01, 11:11 AM
Pearl

Pearl imagines the amount of time spent scrubbing metal plates and leather bands that would be eliminated if she could just get clean now, and almost leaps at Kalrin.

"Oh, me next! Me next! And if the next way down involves jumping into a garbage chute, I'm just going back to Solace for some of Otik's potatoes."

She smiles, a bit weakly.

Annalia
2009-11-01, 11:44 AM
Hector

The mention of Otik's potatoes made Hector's stomach grumble loudly. He sighed heavily. "Please, Pearl. This is torture."

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-01, 03:51 PM
Lagri

Trudging forward without concern, the hidebound soles of Lagri's boots stay watertight.

"Cleanink? Is Lördag... I mean, how hyu say, sixth day, already?"

Lagri meanders forward with Gneiss. The half-man was particularly good at finding things to fight.

wxdruid
2009-11-01, 05:20 PM
The gully dwarves all jump and turn towards the doorway. They cower away from him, Please, please don’t hurt us, we’ll behave.

One of them suddenly runs forward to attach to Gneiss’ leg. She looks up at him, You not hurt, you nice.

Out in the hallway, Tygerlilly is distracted by Kalrin’s offer, Oh, please? Yes! She watches him carefully as he performs the magic and she’s fascinated and jumps up and down once she’s clean. Oh, thank you, thank you. She gives him a big hug before she runs down the hallway after the others.

Gneiss is standing in the doorway with Lagri and Vleric coming up behind. The other gully dwarves stare at the one attached to Gneiss and all of them suddenly crowd forward, trying to get to him. The others suddenly see gully dwarves spilling from the doorway.

Toliudar
2009-11-01, 05:36 PM
Pearl

Pearl quietly runs through the list of knightly virtues under her breath. Repeating "Patience and Understanding to all" several times, just in case.

However, that didn't mean having to put herself in the line of fire with soggy armour. She'd wait until after Kalrin had finished with her to try to rescue Gneiss.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-01, 08:56 PM
Lagri

"Back leetle, dirty haf-men! Back!" Lagri orders, waving around his dragonman captive like a hound on a leash as he wades in to Gneiss' rescue.

The barbarian grasps for one of the gully dwarf and drags it up by the collar. He barks in the feeble humanoid's face, "Stay focus-ed! Tell me! Vere is down?!"

codexgigas
2009-11-01, 10:29 PM
Bryce

"I'll gladly take you up on the offer, Kalrin," Bryce says, grinning. "Anything to put off spending more time with gully dwarves."

Philistine
2009-11-01, 10:54 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss squeezes his eyes shut and summons up all the patience he can muster when the first Aghar latches onto his leg. "Is that Tunka?" he asks through gritted teeth. "Hello again." His eyes open wide again at the sound of the other gullies rushing forward, though, and he stumbles back from the doorway with a sinking heart.

The form "rescue" takes when it appears, though, is equally dismaying - especially when the big southerner grabs one of the gully dwarves by the neck and starts screaming questions. "Thank you, Lagri, that's enough! Now put him down!" Gneiss yells.

wxdruid
2009-11-02, 06:08 PM
The gully dwarves shriek and tumble away as Lagri wades in with a captive Vleric. Vleric is more than happy to kick at the little dwarves. The dwarf that Lagri picks up shrieks and cowers as best he can, blubbering, Don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, over and over again. Vleric finds the gully dwarf’s reaction rather funny.

Tunka happily nods to Gneiss, Yes, Tunka, me Tunka, you friend! She hugs tightly to him to avoid being noticed by Lagri or Vleric.

SilentNight
2009-11-02, 06:26 PM
Kalrin tends to the cleaning of his companion's apparel and then Moves up to find Gneiss and Lagri.

codexgigas
2009-11-02, 08:45 PM
Bryce

Clean for the first time in much too long, Bryce sighs. "I guess we'd better go and rescue Gneiss. Who knows what Lagri's managed to get him into." With that, he follows Kalrin after the dwarf and barbarian.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-03, 01:41 AM
Lagri

The icefolk drops the gully dwarf unceremoniously. He nudges Vleric with his elbow and chuckles for a moment before mustering a straight face and turning on the diminutive mob.

"Vere are ve?" he booms.

Annalia
2009-11-03, 12:31 PM
Hector

"Something funny, I bet," Hector says in response to Bryce. He follows the knight into the gully-dwarf filled area and grins widely when he notices Gneiss is covered by the dirty little folks.

"Oh, hey there!" he calls out loudly before crouching toward the ground. "We've missed you, little dwarves. Come and say hi."

Mentally building up his patience for the incoming flow of scared gullies, Hector casts a meaningful glance at Gneiss. The things I'd do for friends...

wxdruid
2009-11-03, 08:26 PM
The gully dwarves stare at Lagri and they all try to keep Gneiss between them and Lagri, when Hector offers a few kind words, half of them run over to hide behind him. No one answers Lagri’s question. Tygerlilly bounces up and instantly they’re attempting to hide behind her as well. She laughs a little and turns around to greet them and they jabber to her in a confusing babble of words. This activity leaves Lagri and Vleric in a void with Tunka clinging to Gneiss.

Toliudar
2009-11-03, 09:22 PM
Pearl

Pearl is so grateful to Kalrin for the cleaning that words fail her.

"I...It's...you...this...thank you."

Duty calls, however, and she trots forward to try to help out Gneiss. En route, she murmurs up to Lagri.

"There's a dragon in these caverns, somewhere. Wouldn't you like some control over when and where we meet it? Maybe we can cut back on the bellowing for a while."

Not waiting for a response - which would, no doubt, be loud - Pearl heads over to Gneiss. Crouching close, she smiles at Tunka.

"Well, what a relief that you've found us! Thank you for your bravery. Are you ready to continue as our guide?"

wxdruid
2009-11-05, 06:11 PM
Tunka looks up at Gneiss and back at Pearl. She nods enthusiastically. Sure, me help. She isn't willing to let go of Gneiss quite yet. The other gully dwarves are hiding behind various members of the party or they ducked back into the room they came from.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 07:18 PM
Pearl

Pearl takes a deep breath, and glances back at the others.

"All right. So. From where we are right now, can you point in the direction of the dragon?"

wxdruid
2009-11-05, 07:21 PM
Tunka gives her a confused look, Dragon is Down! To emphasize, she points down to the floor.

Toliudar
2009-11-05, 09:56 PM
Pearl

Pearl breathed a small sigh of relief. It would be useful to try to actually talk with the others and form some kind of "in case we stumble across a great big freaking dragon" emergency plan before they, you know, ran into a great big freaking dragon.

"Thank you, Tunka. Now, you promised to take us to the Highbulp. How would we get there?"

codexgigas
2009-11-05, 10:21 PM
Bryce
Gully dwarves, Bryce thinks to himself, why couldn't it have been something more manageable, like a basilisk? Still, at least they're not kender, thank Huma. Gods know where our belongings would end up if they were. Grinning wryly at Hector, he shakes his head. "Why do I have the feeling that it's going to be a long time before things are boring for us again?" he asks.

wxdruid
2009-11-06, 02:41 PM
Tunka nods again and releases one arm so she can point further down the hallway. We go that way to Highbulp! The other gully dwarves nod, although none of them move. They're worried about what Lagri and the Dragon man might do and want to avoid them.

Toliudar
2009-11-06, 03:16 PM
Pearl

Pearl glanced around at the others. Well, at least Tunka wasn't attached to Gneiss anymore. She'd take her victories where she could. The would-be knight shrugged at the others.

"Unless you've got a better idea..."

It was clear from her voice that Pearl rather hoped that one of them did. Failing an epiphany of brilliance from one of the men, she turned with resignation towards the flapping feet of Tunka, drew her sword, and followed.

wxdruid
2009-11-07, 06:10 PM
After another wary look at Lagri and Vleric, Tunka releases Gneiss and remains as far away from those two as she can. She goes down the corridor and after a few moments, several other gully dwarves follow her, the rest mill around uncertainly, they don’t necessarily want to follow. Finally, Tunka turns and imperiously motions to the others. They start following her and staying as far as they can from Lagri and Vleric. She leads the way.

The buildings that once lined this street have toppled against one another, forming a rough arch of marble over the cobblestone street. The place is still but tense, like the nave of a haunted cathedral. Doors and shutters of the shops yawn into the street, as though the buildings had exploded from the inside.

Tygerlilly peers into windows and doors as they pass, skipping from one to the next. She doesn’t see much of interest and doesn’t pause to go inside.

The street emerges from arched buildings into a plaza. Massive pillars, now cracked and crumbling, strain beneath the weight of the rock ceiling. Water from the street rushes into a river flowing north from the south wall toward a steady roar of water. Across the plaza river, blackened steel doors stand in the face of a solid, square structure.

((wading across the river requires a STR check))

The area is about 50 ft by 45ft and the river flows south to north with the doors on the other side of the river from where you are. Tunka stops and points northwest, the direction the river is flowing, We go that way, down.

The other gully dwarves swarm ahead and disappear into the gloom. They seem to know where they are going. Tunka looks up at Pearl...

((If you wish to stop and investigate any of the rooms, post your interest))

Toliudar
2009-11-07, 06:30 PM
Pearl

[pausing any actions to give the others time to comment.]

Pearl looks nervously at the river, and the fact that it's flowing somewhere doesn't make her feel any more comfortable.

"Ah, Tunka? Can you describe to me what happens to this water on the way to...to the place where you get out of the water again?"

Annalia
2009-11-07, 09:59 PM
Hector

Hector can't help but snicker at Bryce's comment, before answering it with one of his typically ultra-large smile. "Would you have it any other way?"

When they arrive at the river, however, his mirth dims a bit. "Do we always have to get wet?"

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-08, 03:31 AM
Lagri

Lagri looks rather preoccupied. He points back down the streets to the field of ruin.

"Are not ve goink to loot zis places?" he frowns. The stingy icefolk crawls back over the rubble, ducking through storefronts and running over counters to salvage supplies and sustenance.

codexgigas
2009-11-08, 08:55 AM
Bryce

"Yes, I would," Bryce replies to Hector. He grimaces at the river. "I'm not sure how, but the abundance of water here is somehow your fault."

Toliudar
2009-11-08, 09:55 AM
"Are not ve goink to loot zis places?" he frowns. The stingy icefolk crawls back over the rubble, ducking through storefronts and running over counters to salvage supplies and sustenance.

Pearl looks at the iceman running around in the dark of the stores. She tried to find a polite way to remind him that any food there that had survived the centuries since the cataclysm had been picked over and rejected by gully dwarves. When he next appears, she calls out to him.

"If salvage is what you're after, we might need to look for areas that have remained sealed. Something like that."

She points across the river at the big iron doors.

Annalia
2009-11-08, 12:32 PM
Hector

"You're unfair," Hector said. "If I'd wished for water, I'd at least ask the biggest freaking waterfall ever, not for some cold, wet and boring river."

wxdruid
2009-11-08, 07:09 PM
Lagri searches through the various buildings and ruins, Tygerlilly follows him, always curious.

The first room on the right where the gully dwarves came from – there’s a sewer tube of fitted stone that breaks through the ceiling. Water trickles from the tube and out the door. The gully dwarves also took the sewer tube down, they just ended up here instead of in the spider room.

Other buildings on the right side have even less in them, mold, mildew cover the walls.

Further down the street on the left he goes into a building filled with books, their spines stained with green fungus. The rich, musty smell of rotting paper fills the room.

There’s an opening in the wall at the far end of the library that leads to another area. A large golden chair rest atop a platform at the north end of the room and there is no door to the outside street. The remainder of the room is dusty and stale; it has been a very, very long time since a living creature has been in this room. A ghostly figure sits in the golden chair, seemingly engrossed in a book. He is an elderly human in the robes of a scholar.

Only Lagri and Tygerlilly are in these rooms.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-09, 01:00 AM
Lagri

Peering into the room reverently, Lagri cups a hand over Tygerlilly's mouth. It would not serve to pester the spirits on the eve of a battle.

"Elavus kirjanik," he addresses the seated ancestor from behind the door frame. Lagri pauses and fumbles through his sack for a suitable offering. With a frightful look of embarrassment he looks up empty handed.

Lagri turns back to Tygerlilly and motions towards her own satchel.

"Fastly, ve must gif ze spirit somezink of walue."

wxdruid
2009-11-09, 01:05 AM
Tygerlilly looks up at Lagri in confusion, We must give him a walrus? I don't have any walruses, do you?

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-09, 03:50 PM
Lagri

"Walue," Lagri stresses through painfully gritted teeth, "Haf hyu anyzink of walue? A zin' vorth steel or trade."

The icefolk's eyes dart between the spirit and Kender.

wxdruid
2009-11-09, 08:19 PM
Tygerlilly struggles to understand his accent, I have money, is that what you want? She starts digging through a pouch looking for something.

In the meantime, the ghostly figure looks up, startled as he sees them in the back of the room. Oh, my! He holds up one index finger. Wait! Before you speak, listen to what I have to say.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-10, 02:11 AM
Lagri

"Holy ancestor," Lagri coughs in alarm. The barbarian drops to his knees and bows before the spectral librarian. He quivers with superstitious fright at the judgment of this spirit.

wxdruid
2009-11-10, 10:26 PM
Tygerlilly looks up as he speaks, she forgets what she was searching for in the novelty that he noticed them. She bounds forward, Oh, Hello! I'm Tygerlilly. She holds out one small hand and suddenly wonders if he can even shake hands.

When Tygerlilly pauses, he continues, Visitors! I haven't had a visitor since... Well, it's been a very, very long time. He sighs, My name is Ossamis. I am bound by vow to remain here until I answer a single question from a mortal. So, discuss what the question should be. I've been here a very long time, and I know a great deal about Xak Tsaroth; choose your question wisely. And please, do not discuss it for long, for I am very eager to move on.

Tygerlilly's mouth opens and closes. He said one question. She looks back at Lagri. The spirit sounds important and well, she's not sure what to do. When he doesn't shake her hand, she takes it back and sticks it in a pouch.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-11, 07:07 PM
Lagri

"Zanks to hyu, blessed spirit," Lagri grovels. The barbarian ruminates on his granted question. From his prostrate crouch he asks, "Vat is eet zese dragon un eets thralls do here?"

wxdruid
2009-11-11, 08:20 PM
Ossamis smiles a little, They guard the Disks of Mishakal, and he vanishes.

Tygerlilly is a bit disappointed with the question and the answer and she climbs up on his chair to investigate the spot where he was sitting.

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-11, 09:21 PM
Lagri

Lagri rises cautiously. He purses his lips in consternation and walks further into the study. The icefolk picks up a book sideways with a dainty pinch of his fingers and holds it up.

"Eh, zis is how hyu... eh..." Lagri pauses, realizing he doesn't know exactly what these things were for, "Ve bring zem back zese, ja?"

Philistine
2009-11-11, 09:33 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss sighs and begins walking in the direction Tunka pointed. "We're in it this far already, lass," he calls back over his shoulder to Pearl. "Might as well keep on, unless you want to turn back now. But if that's the case, I hope you have more idea than I do of how to get out of here." A few steps farther along, he breaks stride to turn and ask, "Any idea where the kender and the maniac disappeared to? It's been pretty quiet for a while, now."

Toliudar
2009-11-11, 09:54 PM
Pearl

Pearl smiles. What would she do without this wonderful, wonderful man?

"Yes, I was rather enjoying the relative peace. Let's give them a little more time."

She looks in the direction the gully dwarves disappeared. There was no guarantee that people in armour...say, Bryce and herself...would float enough to survive wherever they headed.

"So, you think we should risk the swim?"

She tried to keep the doubt out of her voice.

wxdruid
2009-11-11, 09:55 PM
The book crumbles to dust when Lagri picks it up. Tygerlilly doesn't find anything of interest, everything she touches turns to dust and that is rather boring. Well...nothing here. She wipes her hands on her pants. She looks up brightly at Lagri, Well, good thing he didn't want a walrus or anything, just a question.

Out with the others, Tunka looks up at Pearl, We climb down. After water, we climb, it easy!

((crossing the small river requires a STR check))

SilentNight
2009-11-12, 09:38 AM
Kalrin looks at the river. "Shouldn't be too hard I think," he says, "besides, time is of the essence."

Philistine
2009-11-12, 08:49 PM
Gneiss

Taking a deep breath, Gneiss plunges forward into the water.

Strength: [roll0]

wxdruid
2009-11-12, 08:56 PM
Gneiss steps into the water and after a few steps he realizes he underestimated the strength of the water and he's swept 10 feet towards the falls (nonlethal dam 4). Make another STR check to regain your footing.

Philistine
2009-11-12, 09:19 PM
Gneiss

Gneiss flails at the water, sputtering.

codexgigas
2009-11-12, 10:31 PM
Bryce

The knight sighs. "Let's get this over with," he says, checking the bindings on the blue crystal staff before heading into the river.

SilentNight
2009-11-12, 11:42 PM
Kalrin, using his staff for leverage, sets into the river.

Strength check:[roll0]. Any bonus from the staff?

wxdruid
2009-11-13, 12:24 AM
Gneiss regains his footing with a sputter and makes it over. Bryce is stolid and has little difficulty crossing the river, while poor Kalrin is almost knocked off his feet by the rushing water. He manages to keep himself from going under by using his staff, but he’s swept along by the current for 10ft (nonlethal dam: 3). ((make another STR check)) Tunka plunges into the water and barrels her way across. She shakes herself off on the other side.

Across the river: Gneiss, Bryce
In the process: Kalrin
Still to cross: Pearl, Hector, Lagri, Tygerlilly

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-13, 01:24 AM
Lagri

Lagri emerges from the ruins only to be faced with his companions' alarming failure in crossing a stream.

"Zis is crazy!" he cries at their watery floundering. How mainlanders could build what they have without knowing how to cross a simple fjord was beyond him. Lagri draws the rope from his pack and hurls it downstream. He makes a mechanical sweep of his neck to locate the nearest crag to tie his end to.

Toliudar
2009-11-13, 01:32 AM
Pearl

Pearl hisses back down the street where Tygerlily and Lagri disappeared.

"Tygerlily! Come on! We've got to go."

Annalia
2009-11-13, 12:36 PM
Hector

"Alright, time to cross."

Fairly convinced that if Bryce could do it, so could he, Hector went into the river.

I sense Roll Fail coming! [roll0]

wxdruid
2009-11-13, 04:26 PM
Lagri can tie his rope to a building with no problem. Tygerlilly comes bouncing out behind him. You wouldn’t believe it! There was a ghost in there! His name was Ossamis? Or Ossimis? Well, something like that. He said he was lonely and answered Lagri’s question. Wow, it was great! He actually saw us, unlike those other ghosts. Lagri said he wanted a walrus, but turns out he didn’t really want a walrus. Can you believe that?

Hector makes it farther than Gneiss and Kalrin before he loses his footing and is swept along (nonlethal dam: 4). ((Make a STR check))

Across the river: Gneiss, Bryce
In the process: Kalrin, Hector
Still to cross: Pearl, Lagri, Tygerlilly

Toliudar
2009-11-13, 04:35 PM
Pearl

Both metaphorically and literally, Pearl struggles to keep up with Tygerlily.

"What? Lagri asked a ghost for a walrus? Does he miss the creatures of his homeland or something? Does he think he'll be able to ride it down the river?"

Seeing no other option, Pearl wades into the water and follows the others, holding her lantern as high as she can. strength check [roll0]

SilentNight
2009-11-14, 12:51 PM
Kalrin tries to catch himself by jamming his staff in between two rocks and regain his footing.

Strength:[roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-14, 05:49 PM
Lagri

The icefolk casts his rope down the river in the direction between Kalrin and Gneiss. He braces against the straightening cord, ready to pull in the flailing floaters.

I don't think this requires an aid another check, such being the nature of ropes, but if it does...

Aid Another:1d20+4

Follow me to the OOC, because I've apparently forgot how to use this forum.

Annalia
2009-11-14, 08:57 PM
Hector

Crap. Feeling his footing disappearing quickly, Hector tries to strengthen his arm strikes as he swims toward the other end.

[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-11-15, 01:19 AM
Kalrin manages to catch himself using his staff and he makes it the rest of the way across the river without incident.

Lagri is able to assist Hector.

Hector uses the assistance of the rope to regain his footing and make it the rest of the way across the river.

Tygerlilly watches this with interest. She taps on Lagri’s arm, Can I use your rope to get across? It looks like a lot of fun!

Across the river: Gneiss, Bryce, Kalrin
In the process: Hector
Still to cross: Pearl, Lagri, Tygerlilly

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-15, 01:35 AM
Lagri

"Da," the icefolk grunts in agreement, "Hyu take rest oof rope un tie off at otter side. I climb out un tie ropes together."

Lagri nods at his solution. It was only common sense to a crag crawler.

wxdruid
2009-11-16, 07:33 PM
Okay, I can do that. I'm great at tying knots! She follows the end of the rope into the water and soon she's bobbing in the water as she hangs on to the rope and is swept downstream for 20ft before she recovers and finally makes it out the other side of the river. She yells across, I made it! She shakes off the water and goes back upstream to tie her side of the rope to the building.

Yes...Pearl has joined the others on the far side of the river. Lagri will be the last one to cross.

Across the river: Gneiss, Bryce, Kalrin, Pearl, Tunka, Hector, Tygerlilly
In the process:
Still to cross: Lagri

GrassyGnoll
2009-11-16, 09:10 PM
Lagri

Lagri unties his end of the rope and strong arms Vleric into a one-armed bear hug. Wrapping the cord around his right elbow with each step forward, Lagri ties up the rope on his passage.

An undetermined/possibly unnecessary ability check (+4 for STR, +3 for CON):[roll0]

wxdruid
2009-11-16, 09:36 PM
Vleric doesn't like what's coming, but Lagri wraps him up tightly and they ford the river without any problems. Lagri winds up the rope on the way and on the other end he can untie Tygerlilly's knot.

On the other side, once he's released, he shakes a little to get some of the water off.

On this side, there is a building with blackened steel doors.

Tunka is standing by the edge on the northern side, waiting for the others to follow her.

Philistine
2009-11-18, 01:29 AM
Gneiss

Gneiss tries to squeeze the worst of the water out of his clothing, grumbling incoherently. Finally he shakes his head and sighs. "Well, what are we waiting for?"

wxdruid
2009-11-18, 08:32 PM
Here is a map of the area. You came from the west and are now across the river and standing next to building 33/34. Tunka is waiting to the north by #32. If you want to investigate the building, the doors are on the eastern side as shown on the map. You'll have to wade through the edge of the river to get to them.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/wxdruid/Game/Undergroundcitymap.jpg

SilentNight
2009-11-18, 09:10 PM
"Hold on," Kalrin says, raising his hand, "this looks interesting." He moves over to the large doors and attempts to find a way to open them.