PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Darkness: Act I

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 01:56 PM
OOC: As of today, you are free to begin role-playing as the characters you have created. We will be starting the adventure proper on Wednesday; any players who have not yet created characters for this game will not be able to participate in the first adventure at that point.

To those of you who have lived there your whole lives, Adath is a warm, welcome home, filled with friendly faces and cheery banter at the Dancing Dragon tavern; for those who have reached here from abroad, the place is a dead-end village whose mines are reaching the end of their days and whose farms are little more than sodden muddy patches.

Unwalled, Adath is a fairly loose collection of buildings - tavern, smallish barracks, town hall and local manors (mostly for vacationing nobles from wealthier regions) form the highlights of a town dominated by open-air markets, small shops and run-down hovels selling farming and mining goods. Surrounding the village is an arc of farms, particularly along the banks of the nearby river; a smallish hut nearby marks the entrance to the local mine, which brings up (on a good day) some small quantity of copper and iron.

The nearby forests are home to the sort of animals one might expect - deer, wolves, rodents of every type - and a number of humanoids who prefer the solitude and peace of the forest to the bustle of even this small town.

Recently, a local bard named Jale has been contacted by the youngish son of one of these vacationing nobles - an Essche Honelme - who requested that the bard gather a party for a venture he described as "risky, but sufficiently lucrative". Using his numerous acquaintances, Jale has already passed word to most of those in town who would be interested, and has made it clear that the group is to assemble in the tavern on the morning two day's hence, to meet with this noble and hear his offer.

Campaign Area Map (http://imgur.com/Qw9Gr.jpg)
OOC: Apologies for the undetailed mountains. I'm working on finding a way to do them nicely, but for the moment they're a nondescript grey blob. If you happen to know of a nice mountain template that I could manipulate into decent-looking mountains, let me know. Also, if anyone knows how to resize images posted inline here, let me know - the standard BBCode method didn't work out.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-24, 02:15 PM
On one of his rare trips into the local village to acquire supplies, Móranu has heard tell of a bard looking for adventurers for a particularly lucrative job. Having grown tired of his woodland life, Móranu decides to investigate. He visits the local tavern and inquires about this bard, hoping to glean some new information.

"Barkeep! What have you heard of this bard, Jale?" Móranu asks as he pulls up a stool to the counter. "I seek information regarding this venture."

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 02:34 PM
The barkeep's rough voice and intermittent cough tells a tale of too many nights smoking greyleaf, the preferred pipe-filler. "Jale? He's a son of one of those tradesmen what buy our mined metals and sells us spices and books and things from abroad. Tells a good story, if you bother to listen, though he has a habit of talking a bit too fast for me. Dunno anything 'bout any "venture", though, sounds right off-colour for someone with all that money already - why risk your neck for more, that'd be downright greedy. S'why I'm not out there...that and me bum leg," he claims, wincing a little as he pats the injured leg.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-24, 02:44 PM
Móranu sighs. "Do you know where I can find him, perhaps?" he says, as he glances around the room.

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 02:51 PM
The barkeep looks around the room with Moranu, as if expecting to be able to see something the elf can't. Sighing he replies: "Nay, lad, I haven't seen him since yesterday, when he came in banging on about needing to find Errol or someone. He barely ever comes in here, and never stays long...but he is housed with his father's caravan, so maybe ye could ask them. If not, well...it's not a very big town now, is it?" he finishes with a lopsided grin.

Fragenstein
2009-08-24, 03:34 PM
Tai observed what he could see of the town from his elevated position, perched as he was atop a rotting, lone fence post. His legs were straight and his back described a rigid line straight up from the precarious footing, though he seemed to have little trouble maintaining his balance. One hand cupped his eyes against the wind and sun while the other tucked snugly into the small of his back to streamline his form.

The little village didn't look like much, but it was between him and his goal of the larger city beyond. Perhaps, despite the evident squalor, he'd be able to find something of use to his fortune before moving on to grander adventure.

With a sudden lunge, he sprung from the post and somersaulted once in the air to drop into a dead run. It was a silly thing, the wasted energy of movement, but wasn't that the cause of him being thrown out into the world in the first place? This revelry of exertion that he took so much joy in, the sheer strenuous act of testing oneself at every cause was said to be the source of his spiritual imbalance.

"Overcome this..." He had been told, "Or the path to inner peace shall ever be denied."

Tai wasn't sure he minded that, to tell the truth. But there was only one way to find out what he wanted in life. The pure existence of an aesthetic or the more meaningful way of a man willing to pit himself against the world and see victory over others, not just himself.

It was a short run to the village, and not much to see once he got there. Admittedly, his finances were in worse shape than these poor souls and that was something he'd have to overcome before moving on to the larger city. He might not know much about urban life, but he knew it took coin to survive there.

He didn't even enough copper for this evening's meal. Fortunately, despite the arrogance that his Sifu had claimed to see within him, Tai was not above trading the strength of his body in service for the price of basic sustenance.

Tai made his way into the tavern, having followed his nose in search of the most reasonable source of meals, just in time to hear the last of the barkeep's words.

"No, it's not." Tai replied, though his masters would have chided him for his impudence. He hadn't been the one addressed, so it wouldn't be proper for him to answer in place of the second. Hunger and that twitchy desire within for action before patience drove him to speak.

"Though hopefully not so small that a man can't find work enough for a meal and a few coins to spare."

Tai was still framed by the door leading outside, the tight braid of his hair drifting lazily over one shoulder. The rest of his black crop was cut short, though it'd grown to a good half-inch or so from the clean shaves of his monastery.

He was dressed in the black garb of his order, with blue trim running along each hem and serving as a series of knots down the front of the tunic.

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 04:11 PM
The barkeep looks up towards the monk in the doorway, squinting his surprise. Noticing the mud that had collected on Tai's sandals is now dripping its way onto his floor, the barkeep hurriedly introductes Tai to Moranu, then ushers the both of them out the door with instructions on how to find Jale's father's caravan. Moments later, the pair can easily hear the barkeep complaining about "hooligans mussin' up the floors" as he mops away the mud.

Fragenstein
2009-08-24, 04:35 PM
Tai's knuckles crack as he suffers the insult of being called a hooligan. That aggressive spark inside of him cries to be let out briefly, but the monk lets it pass regardless. After all, he had dragged mud all over the man's floor. He couldn't blame him for being upset.

Unfortunately, the hurried exit left him with less then satisfactory information as to what had just happened. Hopefully his companion would be better informed.

"I take it this Jale person, or at least his father, has work for us? I don't know about you, but I don't have so much as a scrap of pocket lint and I haven't eaten in about a day and a half."

blackseven
2009-08-24, 04:49 PM
Jale Morningson

A red haired, blue eyed, fair skinned young man of average height walks in to the tavern. He is dressed in a shirt mostly dark blue in color with silver patterns, under a thick leather vest, and his pants dyed a beige color. A close looks shows that the clothes show signs of being well cut, but designed first for wear and fashion second. A simple rapier hangs sheathed off his left hip, and several small pouches hang from that sword belt. He walks with the ease of one born in a comfortable lifestyle, but his eyes are sharp and focused.

"Barkeep! I am Jale Morningson, and I fear I may have already caused you some trouble this morning. I had spread around a request for parties interested in a venture to gather at this tavern this morning, but I have arrived later than expected. Has anyone inquired after this 'venture' before my arrival?"

Jale lowers his voice and slides 3 coppers to the barkeep. "For your troubles, and also... what do you have that's nonalcoholic, or at least will not dull the senses?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-24, 05:10 PM
Errol Magnus

Errol Magnus was tired and thirsty. He's been wandering the land for the better part of the year, searching for opportunities for feats of heroism and strength to offer to his master Kord. Bandits and highwaymen were a decent obstacle, but sadly it lacked the prestige. So he wandered some more, looking for adventure worthy of song.

Eventually he found himself in a small village. Of course, the first establishment he visited was the local watering hole. The holy man pushed open the doors, and saw a fey-looking lad. He paid him no mind.

"A bottle of rum if you would, master bartender," Errol said. He produced a couple of coins for the man. "Here."

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 05:28 PM
The barkeeper, having finished mopping away the mess left by Tai, is none too pleased to see Jale, the very person after whom Tai and Moranu had been searching when they mussed up his floor. "Yeah I know who you are, ye bloody fool, and it's no thanks to you that I've worn out another mop. You're lucky I don't make you swab the deck yourself!

"Anyway, there was a couple o' guys real early-like, but I, er...sent 'em off lookin' for you, back at your pop's caravan. It is just like you to sleep in, y'know. If ye hurry, ye could probably catch up to 'em, but if you'd rather stay, I do have some blueberry-blackcurrent mix that's very nice when iced, or if your tastes run a little richer this morning I do have tea from that nice chap from the south."

The bartender surveys Errol for quite some time before getting him the rum requested, looking almost like he recognises the cleric. "Awful early in the day for rum already, don't ye think, master...er..?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-24, 05:34 PM
Errol Magnus

"Day or night, a good drink is still just as good." He grabbed the bottle, and took a healthy swig from it. With a refreshing sigh, he said to the bartender: "Magnus. Errol Magnus. Just another wandering holy man in search of adventure."

DemonWasp
2009-08-24, 05:43 PM
The bartender chuckles appreciatively at Errol, his eyebrows rising as the holy man downs a fair measure of the hard stuff. He brightens when the man introduces himself, though: "Ey now, this isn't the same Errol what you were searching for just the other day now, is it Jale? At least this one had the decency to walk on our roads - no mud on 'is shoes now is there? Best kind o' adventurer, y'ask me - the respectful kind!"

It's fairly certain now that the bartender is no longer angry about the mess earlier, but intends to milk this small event for all the attention it can get him.

blackseven
2009-08-24, 05:52 PM
Jale Morningson

Jale bristles slightly at the barkeep's response. He silently cursed his sister for taking too long over breakfast lecturing him about upholding the Morningson name. *We've only been rich for a generation, Sisuca,* he thought, *we don't quite have a name to uphold yet... and I'm working on building it up in my own way.*

"Sorry about the trouble, barkeep. I will have some of that iced blueberry-blackcurrent. I'm sure they will eventually find their way back here, and I feel I should stay here for anyone else who might come looking for me. I wish Honelme had been more forthcoming about this 'venture.' Nobles and their little secrets and games..."

blackseven
2009-08-24, 05:55 PM
Jale Morningson

Jale tilts his head in mild surprise.

"Yes, indeed. Would you be the one who has done some work cleaning dangers off the roads around here?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-24, 06:00 PM
Errol Magnus

"Might be," Errol said, turning towards the fey-looking man. "Ah, but they weren't really much of a fight."

blackseven
2009-08-24, 06:04 PM
Jale Morningson

"Well, you did say you were in search of adventure, in any case. An... acquaintance of mine, Essche Honelme, asked me to gather people for a... 'risky, but sufficiently lucrative' venture. I assume he means some crazy scheme that involves risking our lives in some godsforsaken place for treasure that may or may not be there... but I do not have any details at this time. We will have to hear him out. There's a good chance that we may just walk away after he explains it to us... you must know how nobles are."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-24, 06:15 PM
Errol Magnus

"That I am," Errol said. He surveyed the man, and nodded. "Alright. I cannot pass the chance for a glorious adventure."

blackseven
2009-08-24, 06:29 PM
Jale Morningson

"Excellent!... However, for now it seems we will have to wait for adventure to catch up. No one else is here yet."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-24, 08:23 PM
Errol Magnus

"That's all well and good, lad," Errol said with a smile. He drew the bottle of rum close to him. "I have some catching up to do with an old friend."

rezplz
2009-08-24, 10:35 PM
Risky. The bard had come to him, and said this job would be risky. Eric scowled to himself as he leaned against the back of his house, swinging his flail to help himself concentrate. Of course, he had claimed that it would be no problem for him - 'Risky? Hah, that's just damn hilarious. Don't you know who you're talking to? I'm Eric ****ing Swift! Whatever this job is, it can't be too hard.'.

Even as he had said that, though, he was doubtful. Sure, besting the other guards while in training was one thing. They were all wimps! But risky mission might mean dangerous monsters, which might mean a dead Eric. But that would also mean more money... The chain on his flail made a metal-on-metal clinking noise as he thought. The flail head whooshed by inches from his face, but Eric had confidence in his weapon.

"ERIC! Get your lazy ass over to that god-damn tavern! You'd better not be wussin' out!"

Eric winced, and the head of his flail stopped spinning. Oh, yeah. THAT was why he couldn't refuse this. He always SAID he was the best, but what would happen if he dropped out of this? He didn't have a choice, did he?

- - - - - - - -

At the tavern, fully equipped with armor, shield and flail, he wiped his feet before entering. The barkeep was a bit anal about his floor, he knew. Eric didn't care about him, but he'd rather avoid the lecture today.

"Hey, barkeep!" Eric shouted, as he walked in. "Gimme an ale!" He dug into his pocket, pulling out a copper piece which he tossed at the barkeep. His eyes scanned the common room of the inn, before they settled on Jale - that bard fellow that had spoken to him about this 'job'. "Ah. There you are. You mentioned this so-called 'risky' job of yours?"

Avner
2009-08-24, 11:53 PM
Among Thieves and Scoundrels, and those who live outside of society all together news has its way of coming around, often as quickly to those who sit in the Tavern and eavesdrop on the latest gossip. Felon heard the news not long after it was out "Adventurers wanted, "risky but sufficiently lucrative" a young would-be bandit had overheard it at the Tavern a few clicks off to the south. Felon had long been thinking of rejoining the outside world, thieving between Ildor, Rakar and Adath was no way to make a living and he had become resolute to exact his revenge. This was an opportunity for him to begin his journey into unknown lands and learn what must be done in order to find the Demon who tainted his soul.

With this resolved he set out for Adath in the morning, donning plain traveling clothes, hiding his tattoos and cutting his hair to a medium length he set out as a new man. Heading towards Adath he arrives there in late morning. Felon follows full armored man into the Tavern, mimicking his action of wiping his feet, knocking the dust off of his boots. Laughing to himself about his lack of common manners.

Entering the bar Felon takes inventory of the Patrons, the man in armor is talking with a well dressed gentlemen with a rapier at his waist. Felon walks over to the two men and stands silently for a moment. He notices a brown haired armored man drinking straight out of a rum bottle. "Are you the recruiter?" He says as if unsure how to inquire about the Adventure.

blackseven
2009-08-25, 02:52 AM
Jale looks at the newcomers and nods, politely clearing his throat.

"Why, if it isn't guardsman Eric! And good day to you, traveler. I am the one who is gathering people for this venture... however that is about the only question I can answer. Essche Honelme, a young noble, will be the patron of this venture. I suggest you gentlemen have a seat, and maybe a drink, for now. We will be doing a lot of waiting."

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 04:38 AM
Again, the destitute monk stands in the doorway to the tavern. This time he remembers to clean the mud from his sandals as he examines the freshly mopped floor. The trip out to the caravan had been a bust as they claimed he'd just missed Jale. The man was supposedly to be found at the establishment the Tai and the elf came from.

He was entering on the heals of guardsman Eric and overheard the pronouncement of both their foreman Jale and their noble patron Honelme.

"Hopefully not too long." This was the second time Tai had stepped into a conversation un-addressed. His trainers would be beside themselves to see his behavior today.

"I've not yet been tested today and I'd hate to fall out of practice."

It was a cryptic statement, but one that laid testament to his passion for risking his fool neck for narrow cause.

"Besides, the sooner we act, the sooner we get paid. And no pay means no supper, which may result in me falling over and being no good to anyone."

blackseven
2009-08-25, 04:51 AM
Jale pauses a moment, looking over the seemingly destitute new arrival. The man was not well dressed, but carried himself with a self-control that showed he was no mere beggar.

"I take it that you are interested in this mysterious venture as well, friend? I do not know myself when we will be finding out more information. Waiting is an important part of action, I've been told. Regardless, I suppose if your next meal is truly a problem, I can pay for it and bill it to our patron as a 'business expense.'"

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 06:21 AM
"If that's how things are done, then I'd be more than grateful."

The notion of a 'business expense' was foreign to the monk, having lived most of his life in relative isolation. Money wasn't something the order ever really dealt with. They lived by barter and the good will of neighboring communities. The goods that they could either grow or weave for themselves were always supplemented by charity and honest trade.

He was, however, glad to see that he hadn't yet been reduced to begging for food. Lending a hand in the tavern for some menial work wouldn't have been as humiliating, but he viewed it better that the meal came from his future wages.

"I've never been very good at waiting." Tai took a seat with the others after ordering something simple and cheap to eat. "Can you at least tell me if there'll be danger of some sort waiting for us? Not that I'd turn the job down if there weren't, but I'd hate to earn my keep by being bored half to death."

blackseven
2009-08-25, 07:23 AM
Jale

"Hmmmm... I can't absolutely guarantee it, but given the way most of these 'ventures' turn out, danger, and lots of it, is probably a very safe bet. Were I a betting man, that is."

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 07:41 AM
"I'm not a betting man, either." Tai admitted. "Though that's not by any moral decree. Rather, it's difficult to find anyone willing to wager against when all I have to bet with is what I left in the outhouse this morning."

It was about then that Tai's meal showed up, a thin broth with meager helpings of meat and vegetables. It didn't seem like much, but then the monk was used to light fare. He'd always been taught that eating too much made one sluggish and slow to react.

"With any luck, though, we may find ourselves living in interesting times indeed."

blackseven
2009-08-25, 07:57 AM
Jale gives off a short, but genuine, laugh.

"If I recall correctly, the rough translation of a curse from the [Land of Silk] is 'may you live in interesting times.'"

"Land of Silk" being some term I made up for this world's China/Far East equivalent.

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 08:03 AM
"It is indeed." Tai admitted. "Though I paraphrased on purpose so that I was included. I'd hate for all of you to face the danger ahead and be left out, myself.

"My name is Tai Lung, by the way. Our generous master Jale there I know by way of an unfortunate side trip to his father's caraven, but I'm afraid the rest of the table is something of a mystery to me."

Avner
2009-08-25, 11:36 AM
Felon looks up at the tenacious new comer from his seat, quickly standing.
"I am Felon, it is nice to mean you." he says with his nicest demeanor he could. He offered a slight smile at the thought of high adventure, glory and untold riches that may await him. "I hope to be accompanying the party on this venture. I am in dire need of the compensation myself"

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 12:21 PM
"Indeed, it's a pleasure to meet you, master Felon." Tai offered his hand in greeting. His grip is surprisingly strong and lined with tough callouses, giving evidence to a more strenuous existence than his young face might imply.

A stray thought hit Tai upon hearing the man's name. First they had a Jale, and now a Felon. Hopefully that wasn't indicative of their future endeavors.

rezplz
2009-08-25, 12:40 PM
"Yeah, nice to meet you all and whatever." Eric shrugged and sat back into one of the chairs, leaning back a bit. The barkeep finally brought him his ale, which he took and started to drink. He then overheard a nice little bit of information that made him smile.

"'Business expenses?' Heh, I like you already, Jale! Why don't you slap a meal on those 'business expenses' for me? I'm a bit hungry myself."

blackseven
2009-08-25, 01:02 PM
Jale mulls over Eric's proposal for a moment.

"Sure, why not. Just make it reasonable - we don't actually have an expense account yet..."

rezplz
2009-08-25, 02:00 PM
"Yeah sure, whatever." Eric turned to the barkeep as he took a gulp from his ale.

"Hey, barkeep! Get me something nice and cheap, will ya?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-25, 05:03 PM
Errol looked at the monk. He nodded in approval.

"It is fortunate to meet another who walk the Path." Errol said. He extended a calloused hand to the monk. "I am Errol Magnus. It seems to me that we shall be companions for a time."

DemonWasp
2009-08-25, 05:07 PM
The barkeeper rolls his eyes at the gathering huddle of would-be adventurers, eventually delivering the watery soup to everyone, as the lot seem to have at most a few coppers amongst them. He does, however, note Tai's rather cleaner entrance and nods his appreciation for the other man's gesture. After doling out another round of ale (and so early in the day!), he returns to mopping the floor and wiping out the glasses.

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 05:19 PM
Tai examined his ale with a wary eye, not having had much experience with alcohol. The closest thing his order considered a sacrament were a few extra sweet peas in the steamed rice.

He did accept both Errol's greeting and hand with exuberance, as well as the spiritual recognition, but he felt that the latter may not have been honestly earned. Before certain assumptions were made, he decided to make a minor confession to the holy man.

"Ah, perhaps if it were not for my habit of straying from the Path, however, I might not be here. Apparently my Sifu does not appreciate my adventurous leanings, nor my lust for honest combat. I'm here at his demand, supposedly to experience the world and decide for myself whether to return to the temple as one more enlightened or remain in the warring world as a vulgar pugilist."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-25, 05:36 PM
Errol laughed.

"Sorry, brother. It's just that where you would be chastised for such an act, in the halls of Kord, you would be greeted with a merry laugh and a song of such a deed. Know that bravery and valor are qualities that should never be hidden."

Fragenstein
2009-08-25, 06:01 PM
Tai liked the sound of that.

"Within my order," He replied. "Living for acts of violence and struggle, even in the name of just and merciful causes, represents an imbalance in a man's spirituality. His 'chi'. And while that imbalance persists, true enlightenment can never be reached."

He shrugged, however, discovering that there were more philosophies in the world than just what his instructors had informed him of.

"As far as I'm concerned? Even a man who's strayed from the path is still walking forward. The only way to honestly fail is to sit and do nothing. Sometimes I felt like that's all my brothers ever did, even for all their physical and spiritual masteries."

Avner
2009-08-25, 09:52 PM
Felons eyes nearly lit up hearing the Monks truthful words. Upon a hard path of his own, struggling against unseen and unknown forces he fully related to that sentiment.

Oppressing his own presence as he was, he didn't want to reveal much about who he was, or what he did, at least not yet. "Very true words, brother." He said softly, moving his Mug towards Tai. "Cheers Brother! May we move down new paths that lead us to our destinies"

A small amount of humanity had really broken his demonic curse those years ago. Felon now felt the first tingles of hope. Perhaps he would achieve Freedom and Retribution in the end.

ingenua
2009-08-25, 10:05 PM
The door to the tavern opened yet again, framing an elf of average build, who was clearly kitted out for adventure. Bow at her back, scimitar at her belt, and her dark woollen cloak obviously covered a backpack, bulking out her slender figure. Her shining deep grey hair was pulled into a knot at the back of her neck, and deep green eyes considered the scene carefully.

A tiny grey owl perched on her shoulder was the only unusual feature.

Kvenil recognised Eric among the group of men at the table. As everyone seemed to be eating and drinking, she made her way over to the bartender and greeted him quietly.

"Good morning, Mr Senson. If I might have a glass of iced berries...?"

Slipping him a few coppers, she took her drink and made her way to the rather large group in the corner. She nodded gravely at Eric, but otherwise stayed silent and listened to the conversation.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-25, 10:23 PM
"Seems that we have quite the gathering here." Errol said. He shrugged and enjoyed his drink further. After a refreshing sigh, he said: "Me, I prefer the more martial aspect of my faith. It's been good so far. Nothing gets the blood going like the thrill and glory of battle."

rezplz
2009-08-26, 12:06 AM
Eric gave a nod at the barkeeper, but as soon as he was out of sight he gave the watery soup a frown. "May have well just asked for water," he said under his breath. He was still hungry though, so he shrugged and went ahead and shoved a spoonful of it into his mouth. He dropped his shield and weapon onto the floor, when he saw that it would be a while until this noble guy, whatever his name was, would come and tell them what the hell was going on.

Then he heard a voice that he recognized, but did not expect. He raised an eyebrow in confusion as he looked over to the source - he took in her elvish build, her gear, and the general look that a lover of nature might have. "Of course." He said, as he recognized her. "Who the hell else would ask for a glass of iced berries at a bar?"

He lifted the mug of ale to his lips again, nearly draining the rest of it before setting it down again. "The hell are you doing in town, Kven?" His eyes glanced downards for just a moment. She really was decently attractive, but Kvenil wasn't the kind of woman he'd want to take to bed. Waking up next to rocks and leaves? Hell no! "It's not for this absurd 'mission', or whatever it is, right? Whatever it is, it's probably too dangerous for you."

Stormy
2009-08-26, 01:13 AM
Imke Silithar

Imke steps gracefully, if a bit gingerly, into the bar, her eyes scanning the floor, as if fearing to step into something sticky or unpleasant. She is dressed for light travel, a nearly empty backpack is on her back. A short bow and quiver hang over her shoulder, while a rapier graces one hip, a dagger the other. Her violet eyes look up, something rather like resignation in them at the sight of the barroom, then she smiles, a sparkle coming into her eyes. She steps lightly across the room, not attempting to do anything so vulgar as to raise her voice.

"Kvenil, I had worried I would miss you entire. I stopped to look at some markings, but alas, they were naught of real interest." Her voice is low and melodic, even though she speaks in common, a courtesy to the non-elves nearby. Her hair, the same shade as Kvenil, as well as a similarity in her elven features, declare her to be a close relative of Kvenil's. Her eyes coolly appraise those nearest her sister, then return to Kvenil.

blackseven
2009-08-26, 03:36 AM
Jale creases his brow slightly at Eric's words. He looked over the new elf, noting her choice of weapons and especially the owl on her shoulder. *Almost certainly one who spends their time in nature,* he thinks. *Druid or ranger, if we're lucky.*

"I wouldn't be so quick to judge, Eric. Hasty judgments usually lead to early graves."

Jale stands up and bows slightly to the 2 elves, and shifts his speech into Elven.

"I am Jale Morningson, fair ones. Is it a mere coincidence that brings you to this tavern, or perhaps there is a more specific matter that interests you?"

Fragenstein
2009-08-26, 04:39 AM
Tai Lung

Tai had just managed to return Felon's salute and agree with Errol's sentiment regarding battle and how it raised the blood when the two elves arrived. Somehow, nothing derailed an ongoing conversation like the appearance of beautiful women.

The monk was particularly impacted by their presence as he wasn't much used to the company of women. His order was a fraternal one, and he began to finally understand why that was. How could a man put his entire being into training with such distractions?

For that matter, why would a man put his entire being into training with such more pleasant distractions? It seemed there was much in the world that had been kept from his attention. Though he was yet to fully explore the new life he'd been ejected into, watching the two elves gave him grave doubts of ever returning to the monastery again.

Fate seemed to be drawing together quite the diverse adventuring party. Though it wasn't his place to offer the girls a place in the company, he silently hoped they were here to help fill out their roster.

ingenua
2009-08-26, 04:47 AM
Kvenil Silithar

Kvenil listened carefully to Errol's observations, her eyes showing interest but no shock at the thought of combat. She relaxed at Eric's casual greeting, and gave him a small smile. She'd seen him patrolling the town limits several times when she came into town. After the first time, when he'd diligently asked her name and purpose, they'd chatted a few times, but weren't especially close.

She toasted him silently with her glass of berry drink, and was about to respond with a frown to the question of danger, when her sister wandered in. Her disappointment and apprehension that her sister would stand her up were soon forgotten.

At Imke's words, Kvenil gave a smile of genuine pleasure, tempered with sympathy at the lack of interesting markings. Her expression soon turned to surprise when the bard gave his name.

"Jale Morningson?" she confirmed, then switched to Common, unsure who would be fluent in her native tongue. "My sister Imke," she gestured, "mentioned that you were seeking a party for a venture of some sort. It is pleasing to make your acquaintance. Although it does seem that you have quite a lot of interest here," she adds.

"As for danger..." She hesitates, then sets her jaw. "I suppose it is what we are here for. And if there be battle, then so be it."

blackseven
2009-08-26, 05:32 AM
Jale smoothly transitions his speech back to Common.

"Yes, it is true that I am to gather people for a proposed venture. I have no more information than that, though I am sure more will by forthcoming shortly. Please, join us in awaiting our esteemed," Jale gives a slight smile at the word, "would-be-patron. And, speaking for myself, I think a high turnout is a good thing."

He sits down again, thinking to himself: *so, half of us are spoiling for a fight, and the rest of us are sensibly worried about one. This... will be tough.*

Stormy
2009-08-26, 07:17 AM
Imke Silithar

Imke smiled at Kvenil, her eyes warming, her brows raising slightly, "If there is danger?" she muses for a moment and lightly touches her bow and shakes her head. "We will meet it without flinching, of course. Are these the others that have come to your request?" she asked, looking sidelong at Jale.

The request for those of ability to aid a young noble had touched her, one should not ignore others of the upper class. Noblise Oblige of course must be observed. She fully understood why the poor fellow had to say the undertaking would be 'lucrative' a sweeping glance had told her that would be what drew these... underprivileged ones to his side, but, after all, what could one expect of hirelings?

Oh, she would accept his coin, but not for its own sake as many would. Coin was only a way to fill the space between history and spell research. The unfortunate thing was that so many people seemed to want so much coin for information. A small sigh escaped her at that, information was indeed a valuable thing, but to put the price in gold upon it? Ludicrous.

She lowered her eyes for a moment, she could buy these ruffians a drink, that might buy some of what passed for loyalty from them. But no, the reek of the cheap liquor was already enough to offend her senses, more likely buying them ale would encourage them to drunkenness. And it was well known, the masses did not have gratitude, they merely had expectations. If you bought one round for them, they would demand more.

She turned back to Kvenil and smiled again, it had been a while, her sister looked more... solid somehow, more mature, than she remembered. "The owl suits you," she murmurs to her.

ingenua
2009-08-26, 07:45 AM
Kvenil Silithar

Tilting her head to one side, Kvenil blushed, and barely managed not to stammer out her thanks for the compliment; instead, she smiled and lowered her eyes. Her younger sister had always been the more elegant, in tune with the elements of style. Her own clothes and armour were hand-stitched, hand-beaten from rough hides; a stark contrast to the subtle robes Imke wore. She wondered if she might not fit in better with this group of men, bloodthirsty though they seemed, than in her own family home. Especially with the sophisticated friends Imke had brought to visit from the School, all those years ago. She almost shuddered at that memory, and turned to her owl for comfort, stroking its feathered back.

Who were these men, anyway? She turned to appraise the group, and noticed a black-haired man in midnight garb studying her, although he had yet to utter a word. His solemn expression piqued her interest, and she held his gaze for a moment, acknowledging his glance, then continued to the rest of the group. Soon she would find the time to converse with this man who watched rather than speaking, she decided.

For now, she murmured her introduction to the group, hoping not to appear rude. "Kvenil Silithar. My sister, Imke. Eric, I have met; the rest of you I have yet to come to know."

Fragenstein
2009-08-26, 07:48 AM
Tai Lung

The owl perched on the delicate shoulder of the elf had caught Tai's attention as well. His order had never really worked closely with animals, whether they be of the pack variety or simple pets, but they had been studied for centuries in the perfection of fighting arts. He knew of other schools which closely emulated the eagle, for example, but that didn't mean they kept them around for companionship.

"I am Tai Long" he replied to the elf. "And I must agree, the owl does suit you well. It sets off your hair in a most beautiful way."

Perhaps that was a bit foreward of the monk, but he'd hardly expected a woman of such delicate carriage to be as prepared for battle as she seemed.

blackseven
2009-08-26, 07:58 AM
Jale narrows his eyes slightly as he observes the second elf speak. His face then falls into an expression of practiced neutrality as he stands up and holds his hand behind his back. Not looking directly at Imke, he says in Common:

"It is... an unexpected event, to meet you again so soon, Lady Silithar. And all the more so under such unusual circumstances. You grace us with your presence."

Jale allows the pause to lengthen to awkwardness.

"As to your query, these people were brave enough to answer that request. We now await further details, for I have none to provide."

ingenua
2009-08-26, 08:32 AM
Kvenil Silithar

Kvenil looked amused at the monk's compliment. All the witty responses which had immediately rushed to mind, too late to impress her sister, now had a listener. She settled for "Thankyou. Although I am not sure its mother thought of that when she selected her mate, nor its siblings when they kicked it from the nest." The kind voice in which she offered the jest belied the irony of her words.

"And your comrades?"

Her stance stiffened a little as she sensed the tension in Jale's voice. He had greeted them fairly enough, but the way he spoke to Imke ... They had known each other, hadn't they? What had she done to give this cold demeanour?

Stormy
2009-08-26, 08:45 AM
Imke Silithar

Imke gives Jale a small smile and slight inclination of the head when he makes the obvious remark about her gracing this company with her presence. A well brought up person, for all that he was not nobility. When the pause lengthened too long, she looked away. Well, one could not expect one who was not noble to understand the subtle arts of conversation, so she would be gracious and 'not notice' his gaffe.

Her eyes wandered over the assorted crew that had answered out of bravery, well of course they had, not out of any wish for riches. Her smile did not degrade into a smirk, not quite.

The smile was wiped away entirely at interchange between Tai and Kvenil. She looked away again, it would not do to be seen to be out of sorts. But she did make a mental note. She would have to speak to her sister. And soon. Kvenil was being far too friendly, that would encourage the... she looked covertly at Tai and sighed soundlessly... well at least he was somewhat presentable, but really, where had he found those clothes?

Fragenstein
2009-08-26, 09:02 AM
Tai Lung

Tai introduced the others, at least the ones who hadn't already spoken up, to the extent that he knew them. Admittedly that wasn't much and he left it to the crew to supply more intimate details than their public names alone provided.

"Ejected from its nest?" He returned the conversation to the small owl. "I wouldn't have expected that of the animal kingdom. Here I thought only humans were capable of such callous acts."

He suddenly felt a kinship with the bird, of all things, since he now found himself in a very similar position. Tai had to wonder if the owl had proven too adventuresome for its brothers as well.

"Does it have a name?"

blackseven
2009-08-26, 09:06 AM
Jale walks quickly but gracefully over to the elfin pair. He nods politely to Tai Lung and Kvenil in order.

"I apologize for interrupting, but I would have to agree that you and your companion seem to give off a great harmony. Mr. Lung certainly has a good eye. You are the elder Silithar sister, I presume? Lady Imke's description, though flattering indeed, did not do you justice."

Nodding again to Tai and Kvenil, Jale returns to his seat, pointedly leaving Imke to her thoughts.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-26, 11:21 AM
After wandering about town for a long while, and hearing little news of Jale, Móranu heads back to the tavern. As the door swings open, he finds that the place is now quite crowded. Bow slung on his back, he walks inside.

Avner
2009-08-26, 11:46 AM
Felon finished the last swig of Ale in his mug and finds himself feeling much more relaxed and at home in a comfortable chair in the Tavern that he had been earlier. Deciding it may be best to feel a bit more comfortable he walks to the bar and pulls out a couple of his last shining coins from the pouch on his hip that now jingles just a little bit less. "Mr Senson, another Ale" Felon says a bit louder then he had been speaking before. His voice is nearly soothing and flows at a steady rhythm, with only a hint of gravel behind it. near by the door swings open and another Elf enters, bow slung over his back. "Allo', you here for the Adventure too?" Felon calls out to the new traveler.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-26, 11:49 AM
"Yes, I am." Móranu looks around the tavern. "Which of you is Jale?" He says, loud enough for everyone to hear.

blackseven
2009-08-26, 12:33 PM
Jale stands again. He is getting a little tired of standing.

"That would be me, good elf. Please, have a seat... most of us here are waiting for the same thing it seems."

DemonWasp
2009-08-26, 12:50 PM
Just behind Moranu, the door to the tavern swings open and a tall, gangly half-elf enters, blinking rapidly to restore his sun-addled vision. His clothing is an odd mix of practical and pompous - long flowing robes trail in the dust behind overlarge hiking boots, and rich leggings beneath a simple rope belt. Soon enough, he spots the growing table full of ragtag wealth-seekers and approaches. His greeting is a clumsy one: "Err, well, hello everyone...I'm uh, sorry for being so late I...ahem. Well, ah, it's good to see that you've met each other. I do hope everyone's getting along, because this job will require all of you to work together; none of you alone has a prayer of completing this task. Now, that's not to say that it's dangerous, but - "

He stops himself, seemingly aware that he was rambling, and starts over.

"Er, right. Introductions first: I'm Essche Honelme, historian. Some of you," (here, he nods to Jale and Eric), "may already know of me. To the rest of you, well-met, and may we come to a mutually satisfactory agreement."

After a round of hand-shaking and excessive head-nodding on the part of the ill-dressed noble, you appear to have gathered each other's names and professions. Essche next describes his offer: "The job I have is this: there is a an old dwarven outpost a couple day's walk from here, underneath the Nalyer cliffs, found in the foothills of the Tanrak range. You may have heard of it before, it's called 'Litmore Outpost'."

He pauses, waiting for some recognition of the name, but receives a round of blank looks for his effort. He sighs, perhaps in frustration that so few share his enthusiasm for dwarven history, before continuing.

"This outpost was about as far as the - well, one of the many - dwarven empires reached. It was abandoned hundreds of years ago; that much is sure from records I have at my estates. What I can't find out is where any of the other defensive structures the dwarves built were. I've looked all over in my library, as well as several others, even journeying to Ildor to study there - there are simply no records. However, I have good evidence that Litmore Outpost was abandoned after being attacked by orcs some centuries ago; since each fortification had a record of where other fortresses could be found, I was hoping that such a...capable...group as yourselves might find those documents for me."

"I do see that this is a dangerous task, which is why I'm offering the rather large sum of 100 gold to each of you, should you find the documents intact. This is besides anything else of value you may find in that forgotten place - given the sudden fall of the outpost, I suspect much of the old dwarven wealth may be entombed there."

"So! What do you say, fair party? A bit of risk, a hefty reward? Certainly, it's not a job for just anyone, which is why my father insists that I cannot go myself...but I'm sure you'll do fine." He trails off half-heartedly, clearly upset that his father is preventing him from throwing himself on the perils of adventure.

Fragenstein
2009-08-26, 01:04 PM
Tai Lung

Tai breaks off his other conversations upon the entrance of their patron. Though the noble's speech is far from eloquent, he holds himself rigid and attentive to each word. The bearing is as one accustomed to attending lectures and receiving detailed instructions.

The was one moment of a crestfallen look crossing his face when Essche starts to talk about the archeology of their mission. Certainly he hadn't signed on to dust through a few forgotten dwarven realms. But that quickly gave way to a glint in his dark eyes upon mention of the orcish aggression.

He'd heard about those beings and their destructive ways, though the masters had never properly introduced him to examples of the creed. He was looking forward, now, to testing his skills against their kind if any should still be lurking about the ruins.

Even beyond the prospect of combat, though, was the physical challenges the might be in such a place. Crumbled stairways, broken ladders and walls which needed to be climbed to bypass might be in their future. In all ways, this sounded like an excellent test of his abilities.

Gold was offered, though he didn't really care. It represented a way to maintain an existance in this world without going hungry, but other than that it didn't much appeal to the monk. Too much gold would way a man down, make it difficult to move and nearly impossible to move silently. But without coin he wouldn't eat and he'd have no shelter in which to sleep. So the offer was, in those respects, much appreciated.

"Count me in." He added with little consideration otherwise. It sounded like exactly what he was looking for.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-26, 03:20 PM
"I suppose I shall join in. There's no reason for me to stay around here, after all." Móranu says. "Though I'd prefer to receive half of the payment now. This outpost sounds somewhat dangerous."

DemonWasp
2009-08-26, 04:28 PM
"Hmmm...", the half-elf ponders, "I suppose I could give you one-quarter in advance, but I would then require some assurance you wouldn't just abscond with my money - no remark on your character, you understand, just that I have a limited stipend, and I daren't squander it. Can you provide me with some such assurance?"

rezplz
2009-08-26, 06:04 PM
"Wait a second..." Eric said, as he took in what the half-elf had said. "Orcs? Is that all? Hah!" He grinned and leaned back in his chair , draining the last of his ale before he wiped his lips. "This will be a piece of cake. I'm in. But I want some in advance, too. You want assurance, though?" He shrugged. "My father's in the town guard. If I tried anything funny with your gold, then I would be pretty much dead. Trust me, your money's safe with me." Even though the idea was tempting, Eric didn't intend to run off with the money. This job would be easy enough, and once it was done he'd be even richer! There was no reason at all to not do such an easy job, he thought.

DemonWasp
2009-08-26, 06:13 PM
"Yes, Eric, I suppose that's true, so you can certainly have your advance. However, that still says nothing of the others. I should also mention that I cannot guarantee that the outpost is still populated by orcs - their assault was several orc lifetimes in the past, and they tend to be a nomadic people. It is entirely possible that the outpost has since fallen to someone else, perhaps several times..."

rezplz
2009-08-26, 06:18 PM
Eric shrugged again as he lifted the bowl of soup to his lips, draining the last watery bits into his mouth. "Don't really care if everyone else gets theirs, long as I get mine." The other bit, however, did make him raise an eyebrow as he put his bowl down. "Well. Whatever's in their now shouldn't be too much of a trouble. It's a damn dirty old dwarf fortress, who the hell has any interest in them nowadays?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-26, 06:19 PM
"The lure of gold is sweet, but know that the call to heroism is enough for me. For the sake of glory, for the prospect of adventure, I shall join in this endeavor."

Avner
2009-08-26, 07:04 PM
Blood, the darkness in Felons heart jumped at the thought of it. Glory, infamy or celebrated Hero, either way it sounded good to him, much as well did the Coin to refill his purse, now that he only did what he must to survive coin was far more scarce.
"The coin would go well used, young noble." Felon said above the noise "Some of us do not have the coin for all that is required for several days walk." Felon was undoubtedly a charismatic Man when he so desired to be.

Felon scanned the sized the Noble up "But it we are unlikely to encounter an orcish threat, and the dwarves are long gone. What is the real danger we are facing?" His words roll off his tongue as easily as if he were speaking to a friend, with his eyes fixed on Essche.

"Not to be the trouble maker" He says, breaking any would be tension created "I am only curious as to what I have been assigned to. As you have my commitment.

DemonWasp
2009-08-26, 07:52 PM
Essche frowns at Eric as the younger man dismisses the scholar's field of study, but he takes a deep breath and suppresses any response. He shakes his head, then catches Errol's response, to which he replies "You have a head and a heart for adventure, don't you...Errol, is it? Yes, well, thirst for adventure or not, I promised my father that I would at least pay you well for your services, and so I shall."

Felon's buried accusations take Essche off-guard, and he blinks, flabbergasted, a few times before recovering. "It's Felon, is it? Well, Felon, I'll pay for this meal - for all of you, no less - and for rations and such other minor costs. As for what threats you might find there, I honestly cannot say. It may be orcs, if they elected to stay there all this time, or it may be dwarves, or it may be an angry horde of dragons for all I know - I'm not allowed outside of the cities, you know!" By the time he's finished, Essche is red in the face and glaring at the warlock, his jaw set and brow furrowed - Felon has touched a nerve.

Stormy
2009-08-26, 08:18 PM
Imke had been frowning in mild censor of the half elven lord. Allowing his enthusiasm to so obviously rule him, very gauche! If he had been in a circle of his peers, well, he did have elven blood, and it was known that when an elf was in the throes of whatever passion they had adopted... they could be forgiven much. But acting thus in front of mixed company! She was feeling a distinct compassion for his mother and father...

Until he spoke of his father keeping him leashed, then she had to look away for another reason all together.

Regardless of what this young lord was like, regardless of his personal handicaps, she had a chore to perform. It helped that she was aiding a noble, and it helped that he was part elven, and it even helped that it was for a scholarly pursuit, but if it had been otherwise, still she would have had to find some way to do this one thing... Father had bade her.

Looking solemnly into Kvenil's eyes, she spoke softly, "We should go along and help. I do not wish to pressure you, but there could be information there of the arcana I seek. Please sister," she softened her voice and eyes, let the pleading resonate from them, "will you come with me and help me on this adventure?" The pleading was real, the reason for asking... well...

Avner
2009-08-26, 08:21 PM
Felon bit the inside of his lip "Forgive my words, if you would. I fear they may have been ill put. I simply wished to know of any suspected dangers so that I may be prepared for them." and bowed his head slightly. Not wanting to begin this journey, nor relation with his fellowship on bad terms. "But, if our Patrons desire is the retrieval of said documents, I shall make it my priority." And stood tall, knowing that all men prefer being favored by others.

ingenua
2009-08-26, 08:27 PM
Kvenil listened to the negotiations without interest, thinking instead about the task ahead. Or rather, on whether her sister would want to join them ... She wasn't sure. She knew Imke had some interest in history ... but probably only so far as it pertained to discovering spellcraft. Dwarves were not known for their magic, were they? Well, if Imke went, Kvenil would have to as well.

At the mention of orcs, dwarves and dragons, her mind wandered. Discovering and defeating other peoples wasn't something she would relish, she decided. But maybe, here was the chance to prove herself ... After all, defending herself from a wolf pack or a solitary bear was nothing to boast about. Perhaps here was something her parents would appreciate? Especially if Imke were there to corroborate her stories.

She looked to her sister, trying to gauge her reaction, and was taken aback at what she saw. Her sister was actually wanting to go, well, if there were magic to be found, they would find it. But asking for help? For a second, she recalled their childhood games, climbing trees, exploring caves ... Imke had looked just like that when she wanted to keep going, but couldn't climb the big steps.

Kvenil smiled to herself, then found she was speaking to the group for them both. "It is settled, then. Imke and I will be happy to join you."

DemonWasp
2009-08-26, 08:36 PM
With Felon's apology, Essche's features soften and he appears somewhat ashamed of himself. He can barely face Felon as he returns a stammered apology: "Forgive me, my uh...my mother's fiery spirit is alive and well, it seems. In any case, if you're willing to help me, then I can have no quarrel with you - and I really wish I could tell you what you'll be facing, but I have no way to know. I can only advise caution, and perhaps careful scouting."

"I should also give you this, " he says as he withdraws a furled scroll from within his robes, "this map should show you the way there, at least, though once inside, you are on your own.". The map he lays on the table is simple enough, though it clearly shows both Adath and Litmore outpost. Judging by the scale, you'd say that Essche's "couple of days walk" is at best an afternoon of marching, a reflection on the half-elf's constitution.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-26, 08:45 PM
"I'm fully supplied for the journey. I suppose I'll have to take your word that we will be compensated." Moranu looks over the others who have accepted the strange Half-Elf's adventure. "I'm prepared to leave now, if it would suit the rest of you." He gestures to the pack hanging from his shoulders. Moranu walks forward to the table, grabbing the map. He rolls it up and holds it in his hand. "I'll take care of the map."

rezplz
2009-08-26, 08:53 PM
The map finally seems to catch Eric's interest. Quickly, he gave it a quick glance. He shrugs, and then lets Moranu take it. "Well it shouldn't take too long to get there at all, then. Like, a day at most. Assuming that you don't know anything useful about this dwarf ****-hole, when did you want the job done by?" He spared a glance for the wizard, who apparently seemed to know Kvenil. They looked similar, so maybe they were related? Bah, all elves looked the same. Still, at least the wizard looked like she - her name was imke? - was sane enough to live in civilization. Maybe he could pursue that later...

Fragenstein
2009-08-26, 09:06 PM
Tai had quieted after accepting his part in the adventure. He was going, that's all that really mattered to him even though he was glad of the company included. Watching the group dynamics played out fascinated him to no end.

It was all so different from how he was raised, with the monastery's ordered hierarchy. Here each voice carried its own tone and personality though no one had yet come forward as a clear leader. How that would work later on might be an interesting learning experience all on its own.

He had no objections to Moranu taking charge of the map. Even though Tai could read and was fairly well educated, the art of navigation had been neglected in his upbringing. The elf clearly seemed the type to be at home in the wilderness and would likely guide them straight.

"I could use some outfitting." He admitted when the offer was made to provide supplies. "My rations ran out some time ago and traveling is far more agreeable without an empty stomach.

"Though I can't think of much more that I might need before starting out. Anytime the group is ready to leave, I'll be prepared."

Some might think that a bit odd, however. He was dressed only in his school's uniform, still, and carried no weapons, armor or other provisions with him. Yet here the man was, ready to set out on dangerous adventure with nothing but solid rations to eat and water to drink.

DemonWasp
2009-08-27, 12:27 AM
"My word is my name. Once you've returned with the documents, you can find me in the Honelme manor here in Adath; even were I to refuse to pay you, my father is an honourable man and would sooner spill my blood than renege on a deal. As for the time alloted, let's say you have as long as you need. This is a risky proposition, and I would be a fool to compound the risks with a time limit. However, if you should fail to return within, say, two weeks, I might begin offering the job about to others. I do require this information, you understand."

"If there are no further questions, we should go and get supplies - rations and water at the least, and perhaps some more potent drinks to bring along the way - before you set out on this journey."

Throughout these exchanges, the bartender has been tending things in the back room, whistling to himself, as if mindful that the group may want privacy or secrecy in their dealings.

blackseven
2009-08-27, 04:18 AM
Jale takes in the whole scene without much comment. He thinks on the requirements of the mission - something in ruins would probably necessitate climbing gear and a light source at the very least. He was considering stepping in to mediate the dispute between Felon and Essche, but the situation resolved itself before degenerating too far, at least to Jale's observations. Besides, he was fighting the small anxiety building up in his stomach... natural, he figured, and yet still disconcerting.

Seeing that the explanation was wrapping up, Jale stands up and gives Essche a short bow.

"Thank you, Lord Honelme, for these details. I am sure most of us are both anxious and excited, as I am. It is good that some of us are cautious, already taking stock of what we may be facing," Jale nods to Felon, momentarily locking his gaze as a flash of recognition passes his expression, "and I share those concerns as well. The best we can do, as has been said, is to be cautious and prepared. I do not know everyone's motivations, nor will I ask, but I hope we can all work well together. Our success and survival will hinge on that."

Jale takes a thoughtful pause.

"I'm not sure, myself, on what supplies we will be needing. I would suggest climbing gear, plenty of rope, plenty of light sources, and a decent stock of rations and water, for starters. Also, things to mark areas we've cleared and to delineate a line of exit may be helpful. Ladders, planks, or pole may help with other ruined sections, as may tools to clear rubble - sledges, pickaxes, shovels, crowbars, rams. Does anyone else have ideas?"

Stormy
2009-08-27, 09:30 AM
Imke smiles when Kvenil answers for them both. Good. I mean, it was good right? This is what was wanted of her, why she came to this... village. The rest of the negotiations meant nothing to her. They would come, or they would not, she had gotten what she needed, and that was all that really mattered... although if there were very many orcs, more people could be a good thing, she could only kill so many at one time after all. Her mind wandered until the end when tedious talk of rope and ladders and... she'd taken a quick look at the map and confirmed that this mission should take only a couple days. She knew she'd seen very little of the world, but the place was less than a day away for the sake of Pelor!

Well perhaps she could speed things along. Turning to Jale, who had somehow managed to get charge of the adventure... well she certainly didn't want to be burdened with all the tedious details, so she wasn't about to complain of it! she spoke in a resigned, but still gracious tone, My mule is not overburdened by my few things, I am certain it can hold..." she waved her hand in a vague gesture, "ropes... and things."

She then looked over at the monk, who Kvenil seemed so very interested in. Well... perhaps there was something to be done about that. So he was coming, she would have to see... Smiling at Tai and lowering her eyes slightly in a calculated look of almost shyness, she spoke to him in her lilting voice, "I have some food that I would be willing to share... naught but dried fruits and such, but still edible for that."

Fragenstein
2009-08-27, 10:56 AM
"That would be most welcome, thank you." Tai inclined his head as a polite gesture of gratitude.

He saw nothing wrong with dried fruits and nuts, having subsisted on a diet lean of actual meat for most of his life. Not that his order eschewed such things or objected to the slaughtering of animals for sustenence, but they simply didn't have the facilities to keep their own livestock or the wealth required to lay in such a hearty larder.

"Even with our good patron outfitting us properly for the journey, greater trust and teamwork can only come out of a mutual division of our resources."

Or at least that's the way it worked back at the temple. Some of the more gruff personalities at this table might not see things in the same way. Tai detected a hint of mild selfishness in some of the reactions shown so far. Nothing that would cause him to turn away from the group, to be sure, and he hoped that all would pitch in when time desperately dictated the need.

Avner
2009-08-28, 02:30 AM
Being an inexperienced Adventurer Felon was unsure of what would be needed to traverse a dilapidated fortress but figured Jale was bound to at least have some idea. "We should take whatever supplies will ensure success. But wont be able to carry Ladders and Planks. Pick Axes, Shovers and Sledge Hammers perhaps but we should use a beast of Burden if we hope to accomplish this with any kind of haste." Felon added to the conversation of how to best accomplish this. "Its still early in the day, there may be some hope we can set out before it gets late"

DemonWasp
2009-08-28, 12:42 PM
Looking around, your patron gathers that there are no more questions, just a sort of nervous eagerness about the group. "Well, then we'd best go and get you some items for adventuring, hadn't we?" He leads the way out after tossing the thoughtful barkeeper a rather excessive amount of coin for your lackluster meals.

Adath, being a mining town, is full of the sort of useful tools one might need while dungeoneering, and in short order you find yourselves equipped with hundreds of feet of rope, two ten-foot poles, two dozen torches, sledges, a shovel and three crowbars, plus enough water and rations to last you a week. You also manage to find minor necessities like chalk, candles, canvas, ink and pen, all for a reasonable price. In a fit of generousity, Essche even buys a mule to help carry all of your things to the Outpost and back - he remarks: "Hopefully, you'll be carrying back a bit of 'found wealth', you know..."

You are now ready (at least, equipment-wise) to strike out on this perilous adventure. Essche seems beside himself with excitement and you suspect that the half-elf will have more than a few sleepless nights awaiting your return.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-28, 01:48 PM
Moranu holds up the map. "The ruins are south-east of here. We'll follow the river. It should be an easy enough walk; the surrounding forest is far from dangerous." The elf stows the map and looks at his companions. "Follow me." Moranu begins walking south from Adath, toward the river.

DemonWasp
2009-08-28, 02:25 PM
The trail to the outpost is clear and uneventful, but by the time you arrive the group has begun to reek of sweat. The summer sun has conspired with the long walk to sap your strength, and as it sets, the sweat in your clothing is chilled by a night breeze. You have, however, reached what you would assume is the entrance to the outpost.

A tremendous wall of rock, easily fifty feet in height, marks the Nalyer cliffs, one of the steeper sections of the Tanrak foothills. Into this impressive range of rock is carved an alcove some thirty-five feet in width and about ten feet deep. Set in the hewn back wall is a simple yet solidly-built stone door. A heavy stone buttress built around the door bears an inscription in blocky dwarven lettering; those who can understand the language can read: "Litmore Outpost". The door lies closed, but you see no lock or other means of securing it in that position.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-28, 04:44 PM
"We should rest. I imagine most of you are tired, and it would not be wise to possibly face orcs in such a state." Moranu sets down his pack. "The other elves and I can keep watch while the rest of you sleep."

Stormy
2009-08-28, 06:20 PM
Moranu sets down his pack. "The other elves and I can keep watch while the rest of you sleep."

Imke raises an eyebrow and purses her lips as she looks over the area, a very rough camp indeed. And so kind of Moranu to volunteer her services as a watchdog. She sighs very softly and, not looking at anyone at all, informs the group in a low melodic voice, "I am a Wizard. And as such, I must have a certain amount of time in trance. Else my spells are nothing more then pretty words and gestures, no more than a dance with lyrics. I suppose such would be entertaining to orcs or others that may have interest in us as a meal, but I prefer not to be that entertaining to those that wish me harm."

Having made her little speech, she walked gracefully over to the stream and bathed her arms and face before turning to remove the pack saddle of her mule and lead it over to drink and tie it where it could browse more easily on the greenery. She unloads and lays out her bedroll. With a small smile, she pulls out a packet of dried food and offers it to Tai before taking two other identical packets, giving one to Kvenil and keeping one for herself.

She tried to hide a resigned sigh, oh look! dried carrots, parched corn, dried peas, and oh... nice... some lovely dried oats. Well. At least it hadn't been boiled into an unrecognizable 'soup'. She really should have turned that... person... into a toad for even suggesting that... goop... was edible.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-28, 09:43 PM
Moranu sighs. "I'm sure between three elves only needing four hours of rest each, we can easily cover an eight hour watch. I'd have thought that an intelligent wizard such as yourself would have easily been able to come to such a simple conclusion" He leans against his pack, facing toward the wilderness and away from the entrance to the outpost. "I'll take the first watch. I'll wake you when it's your turn." Moranu says with a sharp tongue and an even sharper glare.

Avner
2009-08-28, 10:08 PM
Felon rolls out his mat and blankets in silence, grazing on his evening rations as he does this. He hears the Wizard going off about rest and trance and his mind wanders into his own situation. He needs rest to simply maintain control, he is probably a bigger thread exhausted then he is well rested and composed, when he isn't the darkness can come out. Instead of just aiming to do what is required he would aim to take down his opponents, to mangle, or destroy them. His spells would likely target their weakest points, cheap shots, anything he could do to inflict pain and anguish. He didn't want to live like that anymore so he slept, he did what he must to keep his mind sharp.

He laid out his armor and weapons on the ground near his make-shift bed and covered them with his cloak, he was wearing plain clothing, but without the cloak much more of his branded and tattooed body was exposed. Many Tribal tattoos graced his arms and chest, said to be glyphs of various angeles and demons set to protect him, or aligned him with various forces he had received in his younger, more reckless days. Now he realized they only did three things, cost him gold, cause him pain and now make him a social out cast among "civilized" people. Put him within a black market or band of thieves and many people will respect him, as if each mark were a medal or signified Rank. He didn't understand much about others, he knew his abilities were uncommon, but he didn't understand how they stood against others.

He headed to the stream and knelt next to the Elvish Wizard. He washed his face and wet his hair, he was an attractive young man, despite some of his more out landish designs. "Imke, why must a wizard meditate in order to properly use her spells?" He asked the young Wizard in the most polite manner he could, but even then his voice carried a tone of authority or power.

Stormy
2009-08-29, 12:44 AM
Imke regards Felon for a long moment, her eyes drawn by the tattoos she can see on his arms. After that consideration she answers him, she had thought to ignore him, after all, he was very... savage looking... but it was likely Moranu would hear her, so answer she did. She kept her voice level, "Spells are very complicated, to memorize one, one must have a completely clear mind that is ready to receive it. In order to have a clear and ordered mind, the Wizard is taught they must first rest for at least 8 hours. The rest must be undisturbed. If it is disturbed, then a Wizard must rest for an even longer amount of time. As there are 3 people, including myself, standing watch this night, and as it has been... Decreed... that we will have 8 total hours of rest, I will get less then 6 hours of rest, and the rest will be interrupted as I have been informed I will stand middle watch. By having me stand a watch, and the middle watch at that, my mind will not be ready for my spells. The fact that I have never spent much time in wild areas and cannot tell the rustle of a badger going through the brush from the rustle of a cutthroat, will no doubt not make any difference to my effectiveness in this chore I am given, and I'm sure it will not worry anyone to sleeplessness to know this of the person they charge to watch for threats. Of course, if there is to be no fire, I may be able to see better than... others of the party... I am sure everyone will enjoy a cold camp." She smiles serenely at Felon, not turning to look at Moranu, nor indicate any of her remarks were directed at him at all.

She sighs and shakes her head, then looks back up at Felon, well, he did look interested and she hadn't been able to speak of spellcraft to anyone for a while... she removed her backpack and pulled out her spellbook, opening it to a page filled with diagrams and strange glyphs that seemed to crawl around the page, changing direction and meaning as the eye attempted to pin them down. The colors on the page were lurid and deep, but did nothing to help the eye keep track of the glyphs. After a short while, it appeared that even the diagrams shifted from one place to another on the sheet.

"As you can see, this is a fairly simple spell..." Imke smiles up at Felon and taps the page that is crawling and writhing in front of his eyes.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-29, 01:17 AM
"If you do not wish to take a watch, merely say so. I'm sure your sister and I will be able to handle it." Moranu says, just as loud as Imke.

Stormy
2009-08-29, 01:25 AM
Imke cannot help herself from rolling her eyes, how immature! Then she blushes at her gesture, for surely Felon saw it. Then she turns to Moranu, facing his back. She glares at him for a moment, since he cannot see her facial expression, and after all, she'd already embarrassed herself by showing her emotions to the savage, so what was one more emotional outburst? Drawing in a deep cleansing breath, she responds to Moranu's back, "You make it sound as if I were being a sulky child, not wishing to share a chore that is mine by right. I merely would point out I would be of much greater use to the party if I can cast spells, than I would be watching the leaves change color and wondering if that howl were a war dog or a coyote and if I should wake people over the noise, or let them sleep. I certainly wouldn't want to challenge your intelligence in setting out who would guard the camp." I wonder if he will wake me for middle watch...

She turned back to the Felon smiling once more and holding the book open once more. She leafed through a couple pages to show a truly nasty looking complex of what looked like hatch designed words all written on top of each other in different colored inks. "This of course, is a slightly more complex spell..."

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-29, 01:31 AM
Moranu continues to stare forward, watching the wilderness. "Again, I say, if you do not wish to take a watch, merely tell me. I'm sure you know better than the rest of us how much rest is required for you to perform at your best." He turns and looks toward Imke. "I... do not wish to offend you. Please accept my apologies if I have done so."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-29, 01:33 AM
"How are we supposed to get much needed sleep if you lot would bicker like lovers?" Errol said from his relaxed position.

rezplz
2009-08-29, 01:45 AM
"Hahaha!" Eric couldn't stop himself from laughing at the argument. He continued laughing as he bent over, slapping his knee. "Oh my god, this is hilarious!" He stood up straight and dropped his pack on the ground. He dug through his things, finally grabbing ahold of his tent. With a few firm tugs, he freed it from his pack, and set it on the ground. "You two are perfect for each other. Why don't you hurry up and get married, and save us all the suspense?"

Eric continued chuckling to himself as he started to set up his tent. Despite the fact that he really hated sleeping out doors, it was a quick job. Before long, his shelter was prepared - no way nature would be bugging him any time soon. He grabbed his pack and tossed it inside, before following suit. He paused only to stick his head out and say, "If any of you need me... well, tough **** for you. I ain't coming out of here until morning."

Stormy
2009-08-29, 01:47 AM
Imke's surprise at the apology shows clearing in her widened violet eyes and her mouth opens slightly, but does not go into an 'o' of astonishment. She closes her mouth after a fleeting moment, gathering control of herself and nods slightly to Moranu, "I would prefer to not stand watch, and I do accept your apology." She hesitates for a long moment, hating this part, but knowing that she must "And I did not mean to offend you either and hope you will accept my," she parts her lips and the word comes out, "apology, as well."

She looks over at Errol, than back to Moranu. A bit to wild for a lover I think, but well formed overall, best not to engage such thoughts... She quickly thinks of cold spring showers to cool the incipient blush she can feel building once more in her cheeks. "Sleep would be best, if you wish to discuss spells later..." she smiles at Felon and gently closes the spellbook, putting it back in her backpack with all the care of a mother for her newborn child. Patting it gently she settles into her bedroll and holds the backpack to her chest, her eyes going distant...

DemonWasp
2009-08-30, 12:42 AM
Night falls rapidly once the camp setup has begun, the last moments of sunlight slipping away as you scramble to prepare your meagre shelters at the rock-strewn edge of the cliffs. Fortunately, the night looks clear, with only a few cottony clouds on the horizon, lit vibrantly from beneath by the sun's last rays. When darkness finally falls, so does an eerie silence; as your eyes adjust to the feeble light of a fledgling moon*, the night sounds of the plains begin to emerge. Crickets, emboldened by the shelter of night, burst forth to sing their songs; odd rustles abound and nearby owls hoot; in the distance, a pack of wolves howls their greetings.

The night grows long and still for those keeping watch, the darkness growing fuzzy as attention wanders and focus drifts. The ground, cool in the sun's absence, leaves the watch shivering and drawing blankets close. As a further annoyance, the night also brings swarms of biting insects, their tiny maws leaving itchy imprints on all exposed skin.

After what seems like too little sleep on the rocky, lumpy ground, the sun rises again, its powerful rays piercing your drowsiness and chasing away the nightly chills. In the newfound light, the entrance to Litmore outpost stands even more formidable - a warren so dark and deep that even the mighty sun dare not reach inside. The gate, oblivious to your struggles, stands as unmoved as it did yesterday: strong stone doors, closed but apparently not locked.

* The new Moon was 3 days ago, so the Moon still appears as a very narrow sliver.

rezplz
2009-08-30, 01:55 AM
Eric awoke to the peaceful sound of the wind blowing through the trees, of the birds singing their morning songs... Gods, he hated it. Eric groaned, joints stiff as he rolled out of his bedroll, getting into a tangled mess with his blanket. After fussing for a bit, he tossed the thing off of him before he sat up in his tent, and yawned. "Damn. I hate sleeping in a tent..." He rolled up his blanket and bedroll, and stuffed them back into his bag. He then tossed his bag out the front door of the tent and crawled outside, yawning again. He took a few moments to take down the tent, and stuff that into his bag, too, before he started to fuss around with his armor. Once dressed, he banged his fist against his chest a few times, hearing that metallic clang that woke him up. With a brief nod to whoever else happened to be awake, Eric walked straight up to the door of the outpost.

"So. This is the great and mighty dwarven outpost, eh?" He said, in a loud, clear voice. He looked up at the large gate - obviously an overcompensation for their lack of height, he thought. "Doesn't look like much," he said, downplaying their value and beauty. "Come on, what do you say we open this bad boy up, do a bit of exploring?"

ingenua
2009-08-30, 06:38 AM
Kvenil was quite fond of exploring - with caution. But four hours' watch had given her enough time to think about what might lie ahead.

In a way, she was glad her sister had given up the watch. She had only tranced for four hours anyway, so she would have ended up sharing the middle watch with her sister. And ... while she was interested in what kind of person her little sister had become in her absence, she wasn't really sure she wanted to find out. Although if she was going to get up everyone else's noses - especially the other elf, it seemed - then she might have to.

At the thought of last night's argument, she growled to herself softly. Then almost laughed. Where had she learnt that indelicate noise? Too many months spent with that wildcat, trying to tame it for a companion. Wasted effort that had been. Especially when she considered how she had found Eui at the bottom of the tree, and they had just ... bonded ...

The watch itself had been peaceful, and while packing up her own supplies, she had sent Eui out to hunt crickets. Meanwhile, she had paced the bounds of the camp, occasionally tarrying at the alcove in the cliff to inspect it. She had put as much time as she thought she could spare into looking for any other entrance within the alcove, or further along the cliffs in a hundred paces either direction. As the sun rose and her companions were awakening, she joined Eric at the stone door, keeping an eye and an ear out for disturbances all around.

She inclined her head gracefully at him, acknowledging his greeting and feeling his eagerness as her own. "I am ready, as soon as the others are."

As Eui returned and ... deposited ... a little bundle of bones, fur and shell on her shoulder, her face remained impassive. By the looks of things, the owl had eaten a mouse.

Now, how does this go....

May I please take 20 (+5 skill mod) on searching for further entrances in the alcove and the cliffs 50m to either side? Or, if you don't think there would have been enough time while still keeping watch, I will take 10 +5 for a quick search.

Listen check, even as day breaks: Skill mod +6; [roll0]
Spot check, ditto: Skill mod +6; [roll1]

Any comments, buzz me in the ooc thread.

rezplz
2009-08-30, 11:36 AM
Despite what he had said earlier, Eric felt a little on edge. He had his flail in his hand, holding it over his shoulder as he continued to look at the gates. He licked his lips, frowning a bit, but then the frown disappeared as Kvenil came up.

"So," he said, looking at ease now, "Think this is really gonna be as 'dangerous' as that guy said?" Eric looked at the gates again. He hadn't heard anything going on in here. Hadn't seen a single orc, or anything else that would make him worried. But, even if he didn't show it, he was. "Wonder if there's even anything in here, and we're all geared up to go into an empty outpost."

He glanced over to Kvenil, just in time to see the bird drop that mess of... fur, blood, bones, whatever it was. He made a disgusted face and took a step away from her. "Your bird's gross."

DemonWasp
2009-08-30, 04:21 PM
Despite her searching, Kvenil can find no other way into the dungeon. It would be just like dwarves to have exactly one way in or out. It looks like the main gate is the only available entrance.

As he backs away, Eric bumps into the large doors into the Outpost; to his great surprise, the huge stone door swings open effortlessly, still perfectly balanced after centuries of ill maintenance. Beyond, a five-foot-wide corridor leads deep into the rock, the bright light of the outside fouling Eric's sight so badly he can see scarcely fifteen feet in. The floor is covered in layers of dust, disturbed only by several sets of tracks following the corridor, the mud dried and dusty. The floors inside are composed of one-foot tiles of two types of finished stone in a checker pattern; the walls are bricked with granite. This place was built to last.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-30, 06:09 PM
Moranu steps forward, eager to explore the outpost. He looks and listens for a moment, before checking the tiles for traps. Though the Dwarves are long gone, they still defend their treasures.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

rezplz
2009-08-30, 07:27 PM
Eric rubbed his shoulder for a moment after bumping the doors, but stared on in awe as the doors seemed to open themselves. He could not see far inside, but the feeling that Eric got from what he saw in the shadowy darkness was one of power. "...Woah." He narrowed his eyes, gripping his flail a bit tighter. Now that he was here, standing in front of the open gates, he started to think that maybe there was a reason why that guy seemed to like these things so much.

Moranu then went ahead of him a bit, using care and caution as he examined the floor. Skeptical, eric raised an eyebrow before spitting onto the ground. He shook off his feelings of awe as he walked forward. "Don't know why you're bothering to look at the floor so much. This place is empty. If there were traps at one point... well, they're long gone now. It was what, a hundred years ago or something? Orcs and whatever else have already set off all of the traps and looted everything." Eric walked past the searching elf, and stood bravely in the darkness. "I'm just saying, there's nothing here! So lets hurry up and get the information or whatever that the guy wanted, and get out of here. The sooner, the better."

DemonWasp
2009-08-30, 07:39 PM
Moranu can find no traps on or about the doorway, nor in the first few feet of the hallway; to go any further will require a light source.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-30, 07:51 PM
Moranu kneels and sets down his pack, retrieving a torch, flint, and steel from it. He lights the torch and stows the flint and steel, slinging his pack over his shoulders once again. The elf begins walking slowly down the hall.

Avner
2009-08-30, 09:05 PM
Felon lights a torch and takes up the rear. He follows at a distance near the Wizard with his cross bow readied, looking and listening for any possible threats. He takes slow, cautious steps. "Where do we start looking?" Felon says rhetorically as the group begins making their way into the deserted outpost. "Are we going to have to move this slowly in and out? It'll take us days to get through here at this rate."

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-30, 09:17 PM
"I, too, wish we could move more quickly. I must keep an eye out for traps, though. I am sure they are present..." Moranu continues forward, waving the torch side to side.

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 03:06 PM
Attempting to move silently into the entranceway.
[roll0]

Anyone who beat my score knows the following

You hear the scratching of clawed feet behind you. If you turn to look you see a small reptillian creature wearing red robes, with a black trim, and a commically large conical hat. The robes appear to have been made for someone much larger than him, but have been torn off at the sleeves and down by his feet, and he is using a rope to tie it shut. He is walking with a gnarled looking branch that still shows the signs on one end of where it was broken off from a tree.

blackseven
2009-08-31, 04:50 PM
Jale Morningson

Jale quickly digs out a lantern, fills it with oil and lights it.

He seems lost more in his own thoughts at this point. He takes up position near Felon, joining him in the rearguard.

rezplz
2009-08-31, 06:13 PM
((As it is literally impossible for Eric to hear the sneaking kobold, I won't even bother rolling. Yaaaaaay 8 wisdom! ;D))

"Yeeeeaaahhh... You can go ahead and search every damn square inch of that floor if you really want to." Eric put his flail on his belt and let his bag drop to the ground. He dug through it for a bit before pulling out one of the torches they had bought before leaving, which he lit. "I, however," he put his bag back onto his shoulders, "intend on getting out of here before I'm fifty." With his shield held defensively at his side, torch in front of him, Eric started to move forward. "See? No traps!"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-31, 06:15 PM
"Best not tempt fate like that, lad." Errol said in a whisper.

Killsauce
2009-08-31, 06:26 PM
((holy cow!!! look at that move silently check. No wonder rezplz didn't bother.))

blackseven
2009-08-31, 06:31 PM
Jale joins Errol in addressing Eric:

"Eric, let the man do his job. We don't know how safe it is in here. If it looks like this place was ransacked and we find evidence of that, maybe you'd be right, but let's be careful for now. Listen to Errol; he obviously has some sense."

DemonWasp
2009-08-31, 07:41 PM
Despite searching, Moranu can find no traps of interest. With the light of the torches, you can see further into the dungeon, revealing a small room about twenty feet down the tunnel. Seeing any detail within the room at this range is difficult, but you can at least see that there's no movement, nor any protruding spikes or obvious dangers.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-31, 07:53 PM
Moranu begins walking toward the room, holding the torch ahead of him. His right hand drifts toward the handaxe strapped to his waist.

DemonWasp
2009-09-01, 12:13 AM
Moranu, with the rest of the party in tow, advances down the narrow hallway. Hands nervously twitch towards weapons at every grinding footstep, and the flickering light of torch and lantern leaves much to be desired for those without darkvision. Hand-sized spiders scuttle away from your approach, your passage ruining their webs.

The hallway comes to an end at a room, fifteen feet square, about twenty feet from the entrance. The area is build similarly to the hallway and is decorated with a similar buildup of dust and muddy footprints. The room itself is bereft of anything interesting, though some deep scratch marks and broken bricks here hint at a harsh battle fought in the tiny room. A doorway on the north wall, opposite the entrance you approached from, is left open, with no door in sight. About twenty-five feet down that hallway is another room, though its details are beyond your meagre light sources.

Stormy
2009-09-01, 07:30 AM
Imke sighed at the slow progress. It would no doubt upset Kvenil if I suggested that Eric should take point, he is loud enough to attract any threats and he steps aggressively enough to set off all traps. It would be faster... and getting him to ah... volunteer for such duty would be no hardship... yet Kvenil seems attached to these humans, so she would take it ill.

She let her mind caress the spells she knew, thinking of each one in turn as her eyes move around the dusty mausoleum that was once a busy Dwarven outpost. The lack of bones suggested other things had been to either bury the dead... or devour them. The muddy footprints all over the floor, she wondered how fresh they were. Moranu was on edge, she could see that, so perhaps they were fresher then she wished to know...

rezplz
2009-09-01, 04:11 PM
Eric was growing tired of his slow pace. He was getting tired of this dwarf outhouse. He looked around, the shadowy darkness making him uncertain - however, he narrowed his eyes and pushed those feelings to the back of his mind. He, of all people, couldn't be allowed to show any fear. No hesitation - after all, how would that make him look? To cover for himself, he gave a bored sigh. Then he yawned - long, loud, and obviously deliberately - as he moved up beside Moranu. "You know, looks like if anything DID once live here... it's gone now. Unless if we're counting spiders as the great 'risk' that guy was talking about?" He laughed to himself as he walked forward, trying to get in front of Moranu. After all, if there WAS something in here... Eric was sure that the elf wouldn't stand a chance against it. That, and he was impatient.

blackseven
2009-09-01, 04:34 PM
Jale walks up to Moranu, careful not to pass him.

"Do you have any reason to think this place has been traveled through recently? Would it be safe to talk?" he whispers to the scout.

DemonWasp
2009-09-01, 05:17 PM
Eric easily advances ahead of Moranu, who has still yet to find any traps, nor even any hints of old traps, to the mouth of the corridor ahead; to his relief, the elf's fears seem to be in vain - no spikes dart forth, and no false floor reveals itself at his approach.

From his new vantage point, Eric can see that the room ahead is occupied by low stone tables, favoured among dwarves for being "comfortable" and solid.

Killsauce
2009-09-01, 07:10 PM
Tatzlwurm continues to follow quietly behind the others.

move silently[roll0]

ingenua
2009-09-01, 09:00 PM
On Kvenil's shoulder, Eui suddenly tensed, hearing the sound of claws on tiles from behind them. Kvenil, who had heard something but didn't know where from, wished as always that she could hear the bird's thoughts. Instead, she stopped, waiting for the bird to turn its eyes in the direction of the sound. Then, with a low whistle, she told it to keep riding on her shoulder as she turned to investigate.

In the flickering torchlight she saw her companions, and an odd figure behind them ... Standing only half as tall as a human, it was dressed in a bright red robe and a pointy hat that both looked far too big. Its yellow eyes and long snout, though, gave it away as a kobold.

Kvenil wasn't sure what to make of it, actually. She'd strayed near the edges of a kobold mine once, and observed the occasional warband patrol, but had considered it unwise to make contact. There was nothing unnatural about them, as far as she had seen - in the way they defended their territory, ate plants and animals, or set traps for the unwary. Oh, they could be savage and vicious in their own way, but no more than an ant's nest, or that wildcat. And this one ... looked too silly to be much of a threat.

She called out to the others at the front of the party. "Eric, Moranu ... there's someone behind us. A kobold."

rezplz
2009-09-01, 11:08 PM
[roll0] Listen check to see if Eric heard the kobold, with a -5 for being distracted.

((Hey, I heard something for once!))

Eric heard a small shuffling of little footsteps - the kind of footfalls that didn't belong with the rest of the party. Nobody that was with them, he thought, could be making those footsteps. And then Kvenil confirmed his suspicions, calling out that there was a kobold behind them.

"A kobold?!" Eric had mixed feelings. Was there actually a whole tribe of kobolds living in here? On the one hand, it would be damn annoying. On the other hand.... heh. Easy kill.

"Don't worry about it, I'll send the little $*%@ into next week!" He dropped the torch onto the ground and charged back, taking his flail out of his belt as soon as he saw the kobold.

Avner
2009-09-02, 12:02 AM
Fellon whipped around and pointed his cross bow at the Kobold with one hand, a purple fire burning in his eyes and in his hand glows the signs of an Eldritch blast and says above any noise "Are there more of them?" looking around.

blackseven
2009-09-02, 02:05 AM
Jale reacts with the rest of the group, spinning around to his rear, rapier in hand.

"Careful!" he hissed. "They're never alone! Watch our flanks!"

Killsauce
2009-09-02, 04:28 PM
I'm alone!! Tatzlwurm replied I've always been alone. I've never lived with my own kind, it's a long story. I didn't mean to startle you, I just wanted to investigate these ruins but was afraid to go in because of the possibility of traps and the like. Then I saw you guys and thought I'd follow you in. I could be of some help however, as I am a spellcaster of sorts.. He set down his staff, just in case he needed to cast shield and beat a hasty retreat.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-02, 06:39 PM
Moranu slowly sets his torch on the tiled floor and retrieves the bow attached to his quiver. With practiced and precised movements, he pulls out an arrow and nocks it. He keeps the bow pointed at the ground, however. "I don't trust him. He'll only bring us trouble." The elf raises his bow slightly. "Be gone, creature."

blackseven
2009-09-02, 06:56 PM
Jale holds up his lantern and lowers his rapier.

"Kobold... my name is Jale. What should we call you? You realize that your story is a little hard to swallow... can you demonstrate good faith?"

rezplz
2009-09-02, 11:54 PM
Eric's feet slowed until they came to a stop in front of the kobold when he saw that - apparently - the kobold meant no harm. But Eric didn't buy it - as someone who was pretty good at lying himself, he knew just how easy it really was to trick people. He slowly looked to his left and his right, squinting as he looked into the darkness. Were there any more? There didn't seem to be... but he knew he wasn't the most attentive of people. For now, though, he lowered his flail. His shield, however, he kept raised, and he kept advancing towards this kobold, suspicious.

"aaand it didn't occur to you how stupid that would be? You're god damn lucky that I was at the front of the line, or you would already be a bloody paste on the ground." He thought for a moment, trying to figure out what would be best to do. As he thought, he absent-mindedly started swinging his flail at his side - a habit really, something that helped him think.

"Really though, as long as you don't get in my way I don't really give a ****. Question is... are you going to get in the way?" He kept thinking for a bit. He didn't know much about kobolds, but if they were gonna attack them... well, it seemed an elaborate set-up. But he was still wary. "If **** starts to go down, I'm not gonna bust my ass to save you. And if you do try anything, or any of your kobold buddies do, you're going down first. Got it?"

Killsauce
2009-09-03, 03:47 AM
hmm good faith. The kobold thinks for a moment and then(in draconic as represented by the new color).Dost thou speakest the tongue of wyrms? I am called Tatzlwurm. Since the time of my birth I have neither known mother nor father and did engage in acedemia, for a time, whereby did I procure this most ancient of dialects.. Those who do may recognize the very non-kobold dialect as being a very old form. Then in commonMy name is Tatzlwurm, by the way. But you can call me Tatz.

blackseven
2009-09-03, 05:05 AM
Jales responds in Draconic:

"Indeed, I myself have a passing familiarity with the dragon's tongue. Well met, Tatzlwurm. However, kobolds are know to claim draconic lineage, so knowledge of the tongue is hardly reassuring. It is good to be able to talk civilly, though."

Jale speaks in a formal, somewhat stilted Draconic, implying his knowledge of the language is more academic than familiar. He probably can not distinguish the nuances that separate dialects.

Stormy
2009-09-03, 07:40 PM
Imke looks over the odd lizard creature that walks on two legs and speaks, as do elves, but yet is so very reptilian. Her first reaction is curiosity, however, upon hearing 'kobold' she revises her opinion in a swift downward spiral, lifting her hand in preparation for spellcasting. The stories of kobolds are never good, the dark loving, deep delving creatures may as well be friends of the... well... the dark ones themselves. She considers the creature without any favor at all.

Then it mentions its scholarship and that it has knowledge of spellcasting...

Imke drops her hands and looks over the strange scaly creature in minute detail, then she asks, "Whence did you go for your scholarship? And what kind of spellcasting do you dabble in?" What did this creature know and would it be worth speaking to it long enough to find out the details? She vented an internal sigh. This quest was much different than what she had bargained for, even Father would be dismayed, she thought. First she was consorting with savage barbarians, now with kobolds. Who knew what the next hour would bring, doubtless the inchworms would become her friend next!

Killsauce
2009-09-03, 09:01 PM
Tatzlwurm get's a little nervous at the question I was left on the steps of the Scarlet Order when I was still an egg. It was there that I learned to channel the gifts that I have. They said I'm a sorceror, because I have a natural talent for magic and prefer to memorize my spells. I don't know many spells though as I had to leave and continue my studies abroad.

Bluff check[roll0]

the bluff is to conceal the fact that he didn't simply leave to continue his studies.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-03, 09:27 PM
The torch flickers on the ground at Moranu's feet as he raises his bow slightly higher. He stares at the draconic creature, unsure of what to do. "I still don't trust him..." The elf says to no one in particular. "Why do you want to investigate these ruins, creature?"

Roll:
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Avner
2009-09-04, 11:58 AM
Felon steps towards Jale, no longer glowing with Eldritch energy, but still keeping his cross bow steadily aimed at the Kobolds head. His finger still putting light pressure against the Crossbows trigger and his mind still doing battle. The dark side demanding a tribute of violence and blood, his mind demanding redemption. The most common effect of this was inertia, lack of action in either direction because neither side could form a clear idea. Although "Violence" is often easier to achieve with little thought.

"Jale," Felon says quietly "Is this worth our time? I don't think any blood should be spilled over this. He seems harmless enough but do we have the time or energy, or resources to deal with this? We have an objective to complete." he then hesitates looking the Kobold up and down, as if trying to search its mind for something. "He doesn't seem like a normal one. I've had to deal with them before in the wild and he definitely isn't a normal one."

Can't roll for some reason :/

Killsauce
2009-09-04, 03:36 PM
Not a normal one for sure. I hear my kind can be quite xenophobic. As for my interest in these ruins. It is purely acedemic. You see older ruins like these are often full of forgotten magic. Even dwarven ones.

Stormy
2009-09-04, 11:45 PM
Imke looked the kobold over and considered his answer. A sorcerer? Well. They were... kind of like wizards, in a down at the heels kind of way. Not like they used magic properly, not at all. She wondered if he truly was a kobold. She'd heard enough tales with those creatures in them to chill her blood and make the hairs on the back of her neck stand right up. But this little fellow did not look that menacing. More like an overgrown pet lizard!

She makes a vague gesture with her hand, "Perhaps we can discuss spellcraft at some time, compare our spells, or... something." If it lives through the interview of the more violent people in this group, of course.

blackseven
2009-09-05, 03:19 AM
Jale's mouth curls into a frown. After a long moment he sheaths his rapier.

"I was not raised to believe the best of people, nor to believe the worst of them. Tatzlwurm has not displayed any hostile intent, and this has gone on far long enough for an ambush. We are going to need all the help we can get down here, and if he has an interest in these ruins, so much the better. I will take responsibility for him."

Jale then shifts into Draconic and addresses Tatzlwurm: "I put my life in your hands... but that means your life is in mine. This is not a warning or a threat, simply a statement of terms, as is fair. Is this acceptable?"

Killsauce
2009-09-05, 03:44 AM
Most. Do please persuade the others to postpone their violence until such time as it is meet. Their are villains aplenty without worrying about me.

blackseven
2009-09-05, 03:51 AM
Jale nods, and responds back in Draconic: "Understood, and well met, Tatzlwurm."

He addresses everyone else in Common: "Surprises are to be expected in our quest. Sometimes unwelcome, but sometimes fortunate. Tatzlwurm may very well turn out to be the latter. I am willing to take that chance."

Avner
2009-09-05, 05:05 PM
Felon lowers his crossbow and resolves that should the Kobold pose a threat, he would not be much to take care of, even on his own Felon felt more then capable of taking care of the problem, should it ever arise. With a mental shrug he spoke in a loud commanding tone "Well if its settled then we should move forward. As it's been said we don't wait to take all month exploring this Outpost, lets continue moving forward. Eric, if you would take the front we should begin moving forward." he pauses for a moment and then continues "I would think we would all feel most comfortable if Tatz would be so kind as to take his place in the middle of our group. While you've been deemed safe, I would feel more comfortable, and I am sure the others would to if you were where we could at least keep an eye on you, for now" he finished with a very calm, rational tone that had no malice towards the Kobold, only saying the reality.

Felon lowered his Crossbow to his side and moved towards his place in the rear, wishing to continue forward as soon as possible.

Killsauce
2009-09-05, 07:52 PM
As requested, I move to take my place in the middle of the group.

DemonWasp
2009-09-06, 04:51 AM
The party resolved (if not entirely certain) about the new, reptilian member of the group, the party advances down the narrow corridor, away from the cramped antechamber.

Larger than the previous room, the next area seems to have once been a guard post, or else a barracks. A couple of large stone tables sit in the room, the chairs to accompany them absent - either rotted to dust or carried off. Tracks in the area lead between the three doors in the room - the one you entered from, on the South wall; one directly opposite, leading North; one on the East wall, mounted in the centre of its length. In the distance, you can hear something that might be wind, or might be rushing water; it's difficult to tell.

The corridor going East ends in a simple wooden door about twenty-five feet down the hall, but you cannot see an end to the corridor headed North.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-06, 12:49 PM
Moranu steps forward and kneels down, examining the tracks. Light from his torch flickers throughout the room as he studies the footprints.

Not sure if it's Knowledge (Nature) or Survival for identifying tracks. Either way, I have a +7 modifier. [roll0]

rezplz
2009-09-06, 12:51 PM
Eric, at the front of the group, frowned as he stared down the dark, mysterious north corridor. What was down there? And, more importantly, how big was this place? "Stupid dwarves and their stupid stone..." he muttered, under his breath. He then looked behind him and the group, seeing how far they had gone. What if they took a wrong turn? Having no idea how large this place was, Eric didn't want to be stuck here, lost, for a few days until they ran out of food. He stopped walking, and sat on one of the tables as he looked down each corridor.

"... Hey, anyone have any paper and a pen or something? I'm just thinking that maybe we should be drawing a rough map or something so that we don't get lost, you know?"

DemonWasp
2009-09-06, 07:38 PM
The tracks are recent, and are made by broad orcish feet, heavy toenails dragging along the ground with each step.

As Eric walks towards the stone bench, he hears a disconcerting creaking noise as the floor gives out beneath him, dropping him straight down twenty feet. Having never been particularly agile, Eric lands hard, stars springing forth before his eyes as he inhales the dust at the bottom of the narrow shaft. Coughing, he looks around him to find half of an ancient skeleton lingering at the bottom of this trap, its legs gone missing somehow.

Technically, it's Survival, but I would accept either.

Eric failed a Reflex save to avoid the deeper pit trap (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#cr1DeeperPitTrap) with a check result of 10+0 = 10 and took 1d6 for every 10 feet of fall for a total of 7 damage. He has 6 hit points left.

Discovering and surviving this trap counts as if you had defeated a Challenge Rating 1 (CR1) creature and the party has received an appropriate amount of experience (I'll post updated totals every few encounters, in the OOC thread).

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-06, 08:06 PM
Hearing the crash, Moranu takes a quick step back. As he kneels and sets his backpack on the floor, he tells the others of the footprints. "Orc tracks, and they're fresh." He removes a length of rope from his pack. "Eric, grab onto the rope! We'll pull you up!" Moranu yells as he tosses one end of the rope down the pit. He motions and tells those nearby to grasp the rope.

rezplz
2009-09-06, 09:54 PM
In mid-sentence, Eric suddenly felt like he was floating... no, wait. He was falling. ****. "Aaah!" He yelled, making a desperate attempt to claw at the side of the trap. Hands slipped uselessly off the side of the wall and he plummeted, hopeless, the twenty feet down the shaft. He landed and cried out in pain as he impacted against the ground. He groaned, dazed for a moment as he tried to come to his senses. Dimly, as if from some far off distance, he heard Moranu... "...We'll pull you up!" With a few muttered curses his eyes focused again, seeing the rope in front of him. "Yeah. Just... gimme a moment." He moved his leg and winced - that really hurt! He grimaced and forced himself to work through the pain as he slowly got back on his feet. Once standing, he looked around the bottom of the shaft as he coughed, waving the dust out of his face. The dust cleared... and he saw the half of the skeleton. "Holy crap!" he yelled, pressing himself against the opposite wall. "Where the crap did that things legs go?" Instinct told Eric that he didn't want to find out, however. He snatched the rope before looking up at Moranu. "Uh... yeah, you can pull me out now."

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-06, 09:57 PM
Moranu grips the rope, and with a shout gives the cue to begin pulling the rope up.

Stormy
2009-09-06, 10:13 PM
Imke lends her meager strength to the effort, although she mutters under her breath as the rope catches uncomfortably on her delicate hands. At least the man had found a trap, convenient of him to be so obliging...

But... fresh orc tracks... she tried to look in all directions at once as she pulled on the rope.

Killsauce
2009-09-06, 10:26 PM
Tatz grabbed the rope and helped pull(though he wasn't much help given his size and terrible lack of strength).

Avner
2009-09-07, 02:59 AM
"Fresh Orc tracks eh?" Felon considered for a moment, only being distracted for a flash by the fall of the pompous warrior "Good luck killing him" He thought humorously but he would need the man, if not for the fact they were in dire need of a meatshield. Felon walked over to the rope, being one of the larger members of the group, he took a place near the front.

"Well the shiny things are likely to be missing" He grunted as he pulled the rope "However" He exerted himself again cutting off his words "If what this gentlemen is looking for is not shiny its likely still here" he finally finished

rezplz
2009-09-08, 12:32 PM
Eager to get out of the twenty-foot pit, Eric grunted as he put his effort into climbing it and ignoring the pain in his legs. Once he finally got out of the pit, breathing hard and sweating, he stood and looked over to Moranu. "Uh... You can search for traps now. You know, if you want."

blackseven
2009-09-08, 01:18 PM
Jale frowns at Eric but doesn't say anything

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-08, 06:30 PM
Moranu begins coiling the rope, stowing it in his backpack. He then re-equips the pack and grabs his torch. The elf looks at Eric for a moment before saying "Just stay behind me, please." Moranu slowly begins heading down the eastern hall, checking thoroughly for traps as he does so.

Search: [roll0]
Actually, is it possible for me to just take 20?

DemonWasp
2009-09-10, 07:37 AM
Moranu finds no traps down the hallway to the East, up to and including searching the door. The door itself is the same plain stone construction as the rest of the outpost - a slab of granite on huge, well-made hinges. It looks latched, but Moranu can see no lock.

Stormy
2009-09-10, 12:39 PM
Imke's lips quirked upward when she heard Eric giving such gracious permission to Moranu to look for traps around the corridor. Aside from the humor of the situation, she did look Eric over more carefully, it seemed he was capable of learning, not very long ago, she would have said he would have scrambled out of the pit and than barged ahead again. So. Fresh orc tracks... she sighed and pulled out her bow, stringing it while Moranu checked the hall and door for traps. Fingering the arrows, she slid one out, then back in to the quiver, making sure that nothing had occurred to make it harder to draw out the arrows. The movement was free and easy, so she smiled in slight satisfaction. If attacked, she could drop the bow and cast, should a spell be the better choice, or she could draw and fire, should that be more effective against the foe.

She looked over at the lizard creature. Could he be in league with the orcs? It seemed to her she had heard stories where orcs and kobolds cooperated. Of course, all those underdark, evil creatures tended to work against the world above, in the stories at least. Another smiled curved her lips. She'd have a few stories to tell after this adventure. Niels would have competition for attention on story time...

rezplz
2009-09-10, 01:15 PM
Eric took up position right behind Moranu, allowing him to lead the way but always ready to step up should things get ugly. In fact, he kept his free hand ready to try and grab Moranu and pull him back should he accidentally spring another trap. Those things hurt, and Eric decided he did not want to have to go through the rest of this place without a trap detector.

He frowned when he remembered he had heard something about orcs when he was down in that pit. Eyes suddenly turned suspicious as they looked in every corner of the room. He had heard stories of orcs, supposedly unstoppable beasts of war. But they were just orcs... he could take them. Right? But, he'd rather fight them at full strength.

"Hey, one of you guys is a cleric-type, right? Uh... you wanna just patch me up a bit?"

Killsauce
2009-09-10, 04:37 PM
Tatzlwurm looked about nervously. All this talk of orcs and traps was giving him second thoughts. He'd learned a couple combat spells, but always hoped he didn't have to use them.

Fragenstein
2009-09-10, 05:46 PM
Tai Lung paused and considered the events as they'd played out around him, almost as if coming out of a daze. The appearance of the Kobold had him concerned... But hadn't his masters always tought that morality was a relative concept, and that no creature could be considered in terms of absolute evil based soley on the representative species?

It was a strange thing, certainly, to have such a creature among their number. His species had a reputation that even the sheltered monk had known of. However, he decided that he would give the being a fair chance to betray the group's trust before blithely assuming that he would.

As far as the traps went, Tai had no eye for spotting them, but his sharp reflexes might give him a good chance of avoiding harm should he fall into one. Plus, they looked like an interesting challenge. Exactly the sort of thing he'd come alnog for. It was with this in mind that he made himself available for scouting duty, so that not all of that burden would fall to the elf. If he wanted to rotate the position in shifts then Tai would be happy with the challenge.

Other than that, he seemed to need to be told where his most useful position in the party would be. Having never adventured before, Tai was a bit naďve as to the protocols.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-10, 07:36 PM
"No traps..." Moranu stands and turns to face the others. "That I can find, anyway. Are you all prepared to go through this door? I'm not sure what's on the other side."

Avner
2009-09-10, 09:12 PM
Felon looked around, his dark eyes scanning the empty corridors. For the first time he noticed the scent of cold stone. The smell of earth and rock that seemed to some how sooth the lungs when breathed, so cool and fragrant of something entirely its own kind. For a brief moment he felt lifted above himself, no fear, no concern; if something struck he had a cross bow prepared and felt his aim would be true. But then the moment fled and again he was a mortal, in battle for his soul and his freedom of choice; the weight fell heavily on his shoulders as a shudder of morality made him nervous about what may lay behind the door.

"how fresh are the Track Moranu?" Felon said in a hush, contemplating whether it was likely a threat sat a head. If there happened to be a threat did they know someone was there from the trap? or the sound of shouting. "We should have a plan before entering"He paused a moment, thinking. Felon had some experience planning quick, and sometimes violent entries into rooms when he did other things to survive. "We enter quick. The first line of anyone strong enough to eat a few hits. The next line will be Wizards and ranged attacks. If we scatter them pick off the stragglers, most important don't let any escape, we don't know if there are more somewhere else. Now, if they know we are coming we may be in trouble. He finished.

Fragenstein
2009-09-10, 09:27 PM
"Then it sounds like the longer we wait, the greater the chance of losing our advantage."

It seemed logical to Tai. Ordered attacks and properly planned schemes were one thing, but without any knowledge of what they might be facing then there was only so much they could anticipate.

"I'm not one of the 'strong enough to eat a few hits', sort." He further supplied. "My training falls more under the heading of either 'don't get hit', or better yet, 'hit them before they know you're there'. I am, however, quick on my feet and likely can chase down anyone who escapes the initial charge. Assuming I'm not selected for the front line, that is."

rezplz
2009-09-10, 10:07 PM
"I'll take up the front," Eric said, as if it was an obvious fact. "I can take a hit better than any of you, I'm sure. And I can dish it out pretty good, too. But even though these are just orcs..." Eric frowned for a moment, lowering his voice a bit, "We should avoid just straight-up charging in there. I'm all for killing orcs, but it's especially hilarious when you can get a big group like us ganging up on a few orcs. So if we could find a way to scout things out, find where they are, and cook up a way to seperate a few of them from the group... I say we do it."

Eric paused in his thoughts, a small smile coming onto his face. "However..." He scratched his chin. "When we do finally bust into their main throne room or whatever it is... I call their biggest, toughest dude. As long as I get healed up beforehand, I should be able to take him without much of a problem."

Killsauce
2009-09-11, 03:39 PM
Tatz swallowed hard. All this talk of violence was giving him second thoughts.I guess I'm filling the role of glass cannon. I'm not wearing any armor, so please keep them off of me. I've never really been in combat before.

blackseven
2009-09-12, 03:32 AM
Jale says "I'll guard the rear. I don't pack much of a punch. Also... haven't we already made a lot of noise?"

Stormy
2009-09-12, 06:02 PM
Imke smirked slightly at Eric's confident bluster, then looked at the door, it was just a door for Pelor's sake. By now, if there was aught that would kill them all on the other side, it would surely have charged out and done so. Not like Eric falling into the pit was quiet. With a sigh, she went hitched her bow up and made a graceful gesture at the door, "Open the door Eric, we're all ready to shoot whatever threat might leap at you." her voice was slightly bored.

Avner
2009-09-12, 11:16 PM
Felon held his crossbow ready, hoping to strike the first thing he saw with a clear shot to the skull, or even the heart; he just wanted one less foe to deal with. Worse comes to worse he would destroy the weapons they wielded and end their lives with his cursed power. "I'm ready" Felon says in a whisper, perhaps the heavy stone door had prevented anything from being alerted to their presence.

((The cleric has been MIA for ages. Could we consider Eric healed by him none the less?))

DemonWasp
2009-09-13, 04:03 PM
Errol sighs and deigns to heal Eric's bruises. Feeling considerably better, Eric summons his courage and cautiously edges the door open, not wanting to fall into any other traps.

The room beyond the door seems an exercise in confusion – each of the four fifteen-foot-wide walls bears a single door, identical to each of the others, in its centre. You have entered on the Western wall. Audible from within this room is the sound of rushing water, just as in the previous area.

OOC: Eric is lucky and regains 9HP from a cure light wounds spell.

Fragenstein
2009-09-13, 04:26 PM
Tai canted his head and stands on his toes to see what's going on, but from the rear of the group he doesn't get a great view. At least not of the room. He does manage to pick up on the sounds of running water and lack of screaming lunatics.

Though it was possible that the water noises were just echoes from the prior chamber, it seemed that this dungeon exploration was more tranquil than he'd been lead to believe.

"What's in there?" He asks the next closest person, not wanting to raise his voice on the odd chance of an enemy being unaware of the opening door. Should some creature of pure malevolent rage lurk within, he certainly didn't want to give away their approach.

Stormy
2009-09-13, 04:46 PM
Imke peered unabashedly around Eric's form, then backed up so others could see. Tai did not push forward, it seemed he was a polite human, so very odd in this day and age... Imke smiled at Tai and whispered, Nothing at all, except more doors. We'll have to make sure and mark our way through, apparently dwarves like warrens."

Fragenstein
2009-09-13, 05:28 PM
"And apparently had some fundamental problems with the plumbing." Tai replied in a quiet, lighthearted voice while listening to the rushing water.

"Or maybe they simply found it to be soothing." He shrugged. "Regardless, should we go on in or do we fear more traps?"

rezplz
2009-09-13, 08:02 PM
Eric opened the door and stepped inside - but, remembering that nasty pit, didn't go further into the room. A curious eye looked at each of the other three doors - exactly the same. Well. Boring.

"Hm. Guess nobody's home." He looked at the doors for a bit more before he shrugged, making way for Moranu to resume with his trap searching. "Well, we got three more doors. One left, one straight, one right. Any ideas?"

Avner
2009-09-13, 08:37 PM
Felon moved towards the front of the group warning each member to keep rank, stopping at Moranu, suggesting he check the room before they enter and then telling Eric he should probably stay with Moranu incase something should come out of the Doors. We should keep rank in case another door does happen to lead to anything hostile. But Moranu please check for traps before we continue. He says in a low voice. Check to see if you can hear anything from the other side of the doors. Otherwise I say we head left and right before straight.

Felon pulls an arrow free and scratches a small marking on the door to note its the one that they came out of before returning it.

Killsauce
2009-09-13, 10:31 PM
Tatzlwurm quietly assumed his position in the middle of the group once again. He was getting more and more nervous by the minute. Perhaps exploring strange ruins wasn't such a good idea after all. He almost wished something would attack, the anticipation was killing him.

Stormy
2009-09-14, 01:38 AM
Imke looks on as the room is searched for traps, after Eric's fast descent, she has no urge to rush things along... Three doors, left, center, right. If this were a maze, one should go left, always left, until you circle. Then you go straight and then left again. In this way, you see all the places in the maze... or you find the way out. Since they wished to find magic notes. And since she had no idea whatsoever where dwarves would keep their paper work...

"Left. We should go left." her tone is slightly bored, although she watches keenly as Felon marks the door, so she will know what marks to look for... and her gaze brushes over Tatzlwurm. The middle of the party... where he can wreck the most havok if we are busy with orcs... She keeps that thought to herself, but resolves to watch him very closely.

rezplz
2009-09-14, 01:57 AM
"Right. Left." Eric nodded, agreeing with Felon and Imke. He glanced at the kobold for just a second - he seemed nervous? Eric shrugged, not paying it any attention. It was just a kobold. What could it do? Well... he could be splattered into a blood puddle if he tried anything. Heh. Eric smirked to himself, his hand on his flail. "Moranu, if you wanna go make sure there's no pit traps or anything, I'll be right behind ya. Before we go, though... we should draw a map, or mark where we've been, or something. If we get many more intersections like this... well, I don't want to get lost in here, is all. I'd get bored to death with nothing but this Dwarf **** to entertain me." Eric frowned, looking at the dwarven stonework. "Anyone have any paper and ink?"

Fragenstein
2009-09-14, 03:39 AM
"Sorry, but no." Tai replied. He was lucky to have the clothing on his back. actually, and would have needed to beg for a luxury like paper and ink.

"Didn't we see some Ork tracks on the way in? Assuming they didn't turn back at the pit trap, should we mark which door they went through?"

ingenua
2009-09-14, 07:52 AM
Kvenil frowned to herself. She hadn't thought to check which way the orc tracks went before the whole party tromped all over them. Now, where were they? She headed towards the back of the group, keeping an eye out in all directions.

As she searched for any remaining trace of the tracks in the doorway behind them, she commented to the group, "I'm going to stay out of the way, as I'm likely to go down with the first blow. I can still back you up with arrows from here, though."

Search check: [roll0]

blackseven
2009-09-14, 04:18 PM
Jale digs into his pack and retrieves a map case. Digging through the case he unwraps an ink well and a pen, and pulls out a parchment.

"I'll start sketching, then. Also..."

He pulls out a piece of chalk and marks an X on the left door, then goes to the door they came in to and draws an arrow on the floor pointing toward the exit.

"In case we have to run, we can follow these arrows at any forks. Marking off passages we've entered will also save us time if this turns out to be a maze."

DemonWasp
2009-09-15, 08:22 PM
The door takes the markings well enough, once a patch has been wiped clear of dust and grime; soon, you have an arrow indicating the way out marked on the one door.

Jale's learned hand is steady, and consulting with the more experienced cartographers in the group, soon has a workable map drawn of the three areas you've explored thus far, leading right up to this room and its trio of unexplored doors.

This leaves the party with the simple, yet dangerous, decision on which door to go through first.

rezplz
2009-09-16, 12:56 AM
"So. Left, then?" Eric was still a bit worried about possible traps, but Moranu had checked this room, right? He made sure not to voice or show his concerns, as he boldly walked to the door on the left ((ooc: North door, since we came in from the west)) He placed his hand on the door and shoved it open, making sure his flail was ready. "Knock knock!" he said, ready to kill anything that jumped out at him.

Edit: Ah, my bad. Edited my post.

DemonWasp
2009-09-16, 01:10 AM
OOC: Moranu has checked the entire room, including all of the doors; none are trapped in any obvious way.

Fragenstein
2009-09-16, 03:51 AM
Oddly enough, the group seemed to be ready to move on without making what he felt to be a fairly important discernment. There were still supposed to be some Orcs down here someplace. From what he understood of the race, they were typically brutishly violent and mindlessly destructive.

That mean the opposing band was not only a potential threat to the party, but also competition. If the marauders got to what they were searching for first then it may likely get destroyed. Either from a lust for vandalism, used as tinder for a fire or even toilette paper, the papers might not be there if the monsters reached it first.

"Please," He tried to speak before the door was opened. "Let Kvenil check for tracks. If we can find these Orcs before they find us, then we may be able to ambush them before they do the same to us. That could save lives as well as prevent the loss of valuable artifacts in case they get bored enough to just start smashing things."

But then he was too late, and Tai was forced to abort his attempted debate as he prepared for whatever might be on the other side.

Stormy
2009-09-16, 10:56 AM
Imke strode forward to peer over Eric's shoulder into the newly opened door. Her bow at the ready. She had suggested 'left' thus, she felt honor bound to be ready to face whatever might pop out because of her suggestion.

Tai was concerned about the orcs, and well, if she was completely honest about it, she was too. But really, orcs were just smelly ruffians, they surely would not be too much a challenge?

Avner
2009-09-16, 12:10 PM
Felon glances at Jale with a flash of jealousy and anger as the far better equipped Bard up shows him. He ignores the flash and continues on, reminding himself that we can't remain hung up on insignificant things. "Lets get moving" Felon says impatiently. He was getting restless. He didn't like standing around, especially in these empty rooms where the only light was from the torches and the air radiated with a chill from the stones.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-16, 07:50 PM
Moranu begins walking toward the door, keeping his torch held high. He is ready to drop his light at any moment, and keeps his right hand free to better grab his bow if the need arises.

DemonWasp
2009-09-17, 08:14 PM
The door to the north opens into a five-foot-wide hallway that proceeds northward beyond the illumination of your gathered torches. As you walk further along this new hallway, the odd rushing sound you heard back in the guardroom and previous room becomes louder - you become sure that it is water, though you can't see any such thing. Abruptly, the hallway stops: less than five feet from where you now stand is a terrifying well of blackness, its depth indeterminate. The rushing sound is owed to thin waterfall that plummets into this abyss somewhere nearby.

Peeking carefully around the ragged edge of the hallway, you can see that this is a natural fissure in the ground, its walls vertical and rough. Although there seem to be ample footholds and handholds, climbing is a dangerous proposition - a fall would most likely be lethal.

Across the expanse of space, barely lit by the party's torches, is the far wall of the fissure. On this far side, perhaps 20 feet higher than the passageway you currently stand in is another passageway of similar size. There is no apparent bridge (nor even remains of a bridge) on either side of the area.

Somewhat distressing is that the opening on the near side of the fissure is covered by some sort of large sheet of an irregular, filmy, white material, coiled into strands as thick as human fingers. This seems to form a net or web, stretching from well above the near opening, across the abyss, to a point thirty feet below the far tunnel entrance.

Killsauce
2009-09-17, 10:42 PM
I grab the net, web thingy and tug to see if it is secure enough to hold my weight.

DemonWasp
2009-09-17, 10:58 PM
You find the strands stretchy, with a gooey texture, covered by a thin layer of sticky slime that glistens darkly in the light of your torches.

Fragenstein
2009-09-18, 06:12 AM
Tai considered that their new, reptilian companion was awfully brave for his actions. Either that or foolish, though weren't they all for even coming on this quest? As long as they were going to deliberately step into harm's way then he supposed it was a bit late for caution.

Even still, the material they were faced with reminded him too much of a spider's silk for him to want to manipulate it. Though he couldn't see where any such massive arachnid might make his home in the chasm, he personally didn't want to get caught up in what might be its hunting web.

He also didn't care much for the rushing of the water. Its noise could very well conceal the sounds of anyone approaching. With that in mind, he made sure to keep an eye on the hallway behind them just in case they were being followed. Tai had spoken of ambushes earlier, and this seemed to be a prime location for such a tactic. With the chasm blocking off any escape and the waterfall masking the echoes of footsteps, he personally would have chosen the dead-end hallway for bottling up and dispatching enemies.

As the kobold made his examinations, Tai noticed that he didn't become adhered to the webbing. That might give them a way across. Though not everyone in the party could make the climb up from its far end to the continuation of the hallway, the monk most likely could. If someone game him rope to stretch across the abyss then the non-climbers in the group might be able to use that as a makeshift bridge.

He vocalized these thoughts to the others, raising his voice enough to be heard over the waterfall even as the man made periodic glances over his shoulder, still mindful of potential pursuit.

"I could take a rope across." He let them know. "Secure it around my waist as a safety line in case I fall. Then once I'm positioned in the far hallway we can start sending the lighter party members over and they'd help me hold the rope for those of a more substantial weight. Though we may have better ways of accomplishing that task which don't require anyone to dangle themselves over The Crack of Certain Death."

He knew that the group had fine access to spellcasting, though he was clueless as to what the extent of their magical might could be.

"Archers at the ready, of course, in case I'm attacked. A pair of gloves would also be appreciated just in case the web becomes too adhesive father along its length. That would at least give me a chance to take my hands out of the trapped gloves and make my way back if the going turns out to be impossible."

rezplz
2009-09-18, 02:08 PM
Eric stared at the web, and then the deep chasm, and then back at the web... "Yeah... about that whole climbing thing..." He said, taking a small step back. He looked through the door they had come through, and at the room they had left. "I vote we turn around. I'd rather not dangle over certain death like that if I can avoid it. How about we explore the rest of this place, and then if we can't find the information this guy wants, THEN we try climbing this thing."

blackseven
2009-09-18, 03:26 PM
Jale was sure they were all thinking it, but he decided to say it: "That is very brave of you, Tai, but I add my vote to Eric's... plus this really looks too much like spider's web for my taste."

Killsauce
2009-09-18, 05:33 PM
Well,if it's a web than there should be a spider. If we are going to use this thing, we don't want to get attacked in the process. Tatz was a little surprised at his newfound courage, perhaps he was starting to get used to all this danger. Or maybe he just wanted to get attacked so the anticipation would stop. He stood back and wove his arms in the ancient gestures and started uttering the incantations. Soon the web was shaking violently(mage hand, 5 pounds of pressure being used to vibrate the web.). There, that should flush him out.

Fragenstein
2009-09-18, 05:35 PM
Tai watched their kobold companion go through his magical manipulations, wondering what might respond to the efforts.

"Oh, spiders aren't that bad." He reassured Jale as they waited, though he'd been thinking the same thing earlier. He worried about what the group might do if they found the documentation in another part of the ruins and completely skipped what might be just beyond the chasm. The curiosity of things just our of reach burned in him, as well as the desire to not be turned back so easily.

"I wanted to do more searching around the four-door room earlier for the Orc tracks, but I figured as long as we're bent on heading this direction we shouldn't let minor obstacles like this slow us down."

That's what he called the deep pit, a minor obstacle. The great fall into darkness or sudden attack by giant spiders was really anything other than minor.

"It's your call. Think of the adventure that we might miss out on by rebuking this path. There could be treasure, ancient secrets of the past or grand tests of both might and wit. But perhaps there's a way of reaching that without having to stare down the open throat of the world."

blackseven
2009-09-18, 05:38 PM
Jale frowns, draws his rapier, and steps back, keeping a look out all around. He tried not to think of the times as a boy when he watched a (probably smaller) spider wrap up its prey and start feeding on it...

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-18, 06:25 PM
Hand on torch, Moranu watches the Kobold and web warily.

Avner
2009-09-18, 07:03 PM
Felon

Eyeing the web and looking towards the door they came from Felon holds his cross bow ready incase anything should show face. "If we go down this path we head this way it'll require some effort but it may be worth it. I know most often the most valuable things are the hardest to find" Felon says.

DemonWasp
2009-09-18, 07:08 PM
Tai's hands close around the webbing with a decisiveness he does not feel. The sticky slime grips his hands back, an unwelcome embrace. His first step is unsure and fearful, as the strands stretch and swing over the yawning cavern.

His heart racing, Tai struggles not to look down when every instinct demands that he cling to the webs and cower at his height. Summoning every bit of calmness he can, the young monk advances slowly and carefully through the webs, brushing aside narrower strands and ducking between the larger ones. Soon, he stands about ten feet from the tunnel entrance, his hands and clothes thoroughly painted in the thick slime.

It is then that he chances to look up and notice under what eyes he has fallen: two large spiders, their legs spanning perhaps four or five feet easily, sit in wait not fifteen feet above the tunnel entrance Tai had emerged from, each nested within a part of the web so as to feel every tangle and vibration. Their sixteen eyes gleam back at Tai's own widening pair as they slowly advance their prey, caught out on the dangerous webs.

OOC:
Tai is considered aware. The spiders have spent their surprise round moving out of their cocoons, and are about fifteen feet directly above the lower tunnel entrance. Tai is about ten feet away from that entrance, and about thirty feet from the far side of the chasm.

Tai, being trapped in the web, can move 5 feet per full-round action without risking a fall, or faster if he wants to risk a Climb check (failure may mean either entanglement or a fall, depending on how badly Tai fails).

Once the party becomes aware, I will roll initiative for them as well; for the moment, Tai has won initiative over the spiders and may act first. There is, of course, no requirement that actions be posted in initiative order; I will do my best to resolve order of actions appropriately and I will summarize what happens every round.

ingenua
2009-09-18, 07:12 PM
Kvenil's eyes were wide as the owl's, although she seemed calm otherwise. Inwardly, she was starting to form her first impressions of their newest companion, the kobold. He was putting them into danger! She hated for a potential predator to be aware of her before she knew of its presence. And here he was, announcing their presence to whatever had made this web: a spider, or who knew what?

Before she could muster her thoughts, the monk had grasped the web and was climbing outwards! Her own suggestion was on her lips ... well, better late than never. "Tai, come back! If there were a spider ... Maybe, rather than waiting for it to come to you, I could send Eui to seek out what is around there? I ... I cannot read its mind, and it is only trained to seek and return, but ... at least we would know if something were in there."

She pronounced the name Eui as an odd diphthong, not heard in the Common language. At the others' blank looks, she gestures and explains: "My owl."

Fragenstein
2009-09-18, 07:34 PM
"Well..." Tai's voice came back, calm and steady as he stared upwards. Both hands folded over each other behind his back as he adopted a deceptively relaxed stance.

"It's certainly too late for that. Fortunately, I believe we had some ranged attacks readied? Now would be a perfect time to use them. Two of the eight-legged monsters are moving towards me now from above.

"And I was wrong, by the way. They are that bad. In fact they're worse then I ever could have imagined. Please don't miss..."

OOC: Tai will, for this round at least, go with Full Defense and an AC of 21. The plan is to act as bait, drawing the spiders out while the group attack from a distance.

MOOC: The plan assumes that Tai is able to have his full AC while on the web, and that the group has an angle they can attack from. If either of these conditions are untrue then he'll likely go with the climb attempt to get himself onto more stable ground before engaging the arachnids.

rezplz
2009-09-18, 08:52 PM
Eric muttered a curse under his breath as the kobold shook the web. Immediately, his heart rate increased as he glanced around, but at first his eyes saw nothing. Nothing but stone, darkness, and an unfortunate drop...

Instinct told him to grab the little bastard, yell at him, and maybe hurl him down into that chasm. But he was supposed to be the confident guy here, right? He made sure to keep his cool. Make sure that he seemed to be on top of things. After all... they were only spiders. Right?

"Psh, spiders? I was just worried about that climb. I can't climb **** in this armor. Spiders, though?" Eric grinned, and shrugged. "Far as I'm concerned, easy ****."

Aaaand then the monk decided to climb the web anyway. He glanced down again, reminding himself that he did NOT want to fall down there... but, damn. He was not about to let him be one-upped by some pansy-ass martial artist! He moved forward, about to grab the web and move up after him - but then, the monk started speaking. "What? They're just spiders, how bad can they..." Eric started to say, as he let his eyes move upwards. And then he saw them. Damn.

Those were big spiders.

"God damnit, they're big!" He wasn't about to climb over that web and try to HIT them or anything. Instead, he opted to drop his flail and shield onto the stone, taking out his bow and readying an arrow. He had never been the best at shooting stuff... He would be lucky to hit anything. "You'd better get your fancy kung-fu ass back here and behind me! I don't think those spiders are going to give a **** if you try punching them!" After speaking, Eric took aim at one of the spiders, and fired.

attack roll: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

OOC: This is assuming that Eric has the time to get his bow ready, and can see the spiders.

Avner
2009-09-18, 10:58 PM
Felon

Staring up in awe and contempt as two large spiders emerged from their nest Felons hands fell to his sides as he moved his palm to his face and muttered "God...God I wish you had not forsaken me so many times. And in so many ways" as he deeply desired that his allies had put more thought into their actions. But he let that feeling fall away uneventfully as an intense feeling of excitement took over, as a dark glyph danced over his hands and his eyes flashed with the purple Eldritch energy that ran through his blood. "blood..." The darkness in him murmured. He raised his cross bow and with a decent eye he aimed towards the vile creatures and let his bolt fly with a cry of war "MAY WE DRAW BLOOD!" He cries out.

1d20+3 attack
1d8 damage
Forgive me if I made a mistake on my damage roll. ****ed up rolls somehow
attack 1d20+3
damage 1d8

Avner
2009-09-18, 11:01 PM
eff...

damage [roll0]

Killsauce
2009-09-19, 01:02 AM
I checked my sheet. Turns out, I don't have mage hand(I usually, ALWAYS take mage hand, my bad).

Tatzlwurm rests his staff against the wall of this corridor and gets into a position where he has a clear view of the web(being so short he sometimes has to push past people to do this). He lifts up his hands and gets ready to cast at the first sign of the enemy.

Readying an action to cast magic missile when one of the spiders makes itself known.

Also, I'm pretty sure Tai's warning made me aware so here's init.

[roll0]

blackseven
2009-09-19, 05:35 AM
Jale suppresses the unease in his mind and starts reciting a story about two halfllings who encounter and triumph over a giant spider. The words themselves are rather plain, but the tenor and quality of delivery reach much deeper into his listeners.

(Inspire Courage): All allies (you all are my friends, right? right?!) receive +1 to attack, +1 to damage, and +1 to Will saves versus fear and charm. These are Morale bonuses.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-19, 11:03 AM
Moranu lets go of his torch, and it falls to his feet. Lights and shadows flicker around the hall as the elf retrieves his bow and nocks an arrow. With a steady eye and hand, he takes aim at one of the giant arachnids and lets the hand-crafted projectile fly.

[roll0] (Including Jale's Inspire Courage)
[roll1] (Including Jale's Inspire Courage)

ingenua
2009-09-20, 06:31 AM
Kvenil sighed. But she didn't need to be told twice. Pulling out her bow, she nocked an arrow and moved to the edge of the chasm, trying to get a glimpse of the arachnids. Aiming at the closest one, she tugged on the bow until the arrow was in just the right position ... There. She let it fly.

As her concentration relaxed, her normal hunting instincts kicked in. Check for more, they told her. Well, she could still make sure...

She turned her head and clicked her tongue to get Eui's attention. Carefully, she pointed at the two giant spiders, making sure the owl caught sight of each. Then she gestured widely at the rest of the chasm. "Seek, and then return!" she whispered in her native elven tongue. The baby owl spread its wings and swiftly negotiated its way through the nearest gaps in the webbing.

She hoped Imke was still somewhere at the back of the group, out of harm's way. She hated to think of what her city-dwelling sister would make of these creatures.

Okay. My bad, initiative is whatever DemonWasp rolls for us.

Move action: Draw bow and nock arrow.
Standard action: Fire at nearest spider (or leftmost - I don't know which one is where.)
Attack: Ranged mod +1 for dex, plus +1 from song: [roll0]
Damage: Plus 1 from song: [roll1]
If the song doesn't yet apply then you can take 1 off those, I guess.

Free action: ordering Eui to seek and return. My PHB says druids can handle their companions as a free action. Right? The owl leaves whenever it's her turn. Gonna have to rely on her 17 Dex and low-light vision to make sure she doesn't get stuck in the web...

DemonWasp
2009-09-20, 08:47 PM
Tai, surprised by the spiders, loses his balance on the wobbly webbing and struggles to regain his footing as the spiders advance on him; he recovers just as they fall upon him.

Alerted by the monk's cry, the front half of the party is well-prepared to loose a volley upon the arachnids. The kobold, eager to prove his loyalty, steps forward to deliver a magic missile to the leading spider, the deep wound it leaves leaking a dark ichor. Moranu's elven reactions are only a moment behind, and his aim is true - the arrow strikes the wounded spider just behind the head, nearly a head-shot. Eric wastes time blustering about spiders and safety, leaving no time to aim properly; his arrow clatters against the far wall of the chasm. Kvenil's aim is little better, her vision obscured by the several party members ahead of her; although she misses the spiders, at least she also failed to strike any of her own party. Her owl leaps from her shoulder and flies out of the narrow tunnel, easily avoiding the webs, soaring easily in the huge chasm.

Having survived the assault, the bulbous arachnids approach Tai, clattering pincers searching for flesh to bite and poison. Caught out on the webs, Tai is unable to move as gracefully as he could on solid land, and while he avoids one clumsy spider-bite, the other sinks a huge fang into his calf. Years of training have taught the monk nothing if not how to resist the weakness of the physical, however, and he easily shrugs off the immediate effects of the spider's venom.

Being careful not to strike the wounded monk, Felon fires a crossbow bolt with deadly accuracy, piercing the battered spider's shell and wrenching the life from its frame. As the quivering husk of the vermin falls into the abyss, Jale begins his recitation, filling your hearts with courage and hope against this threat - for if two mere halflings can triumph over a giant spider, surely so can nine so fine as yourselves.

Those near the rear of the party are unable to react to the spiders, as the hallway before them is too filled with the rest of their party. Errol and Imke do not act.

OOC
{table=head]Initiative | Character | HP
24 | Tatzlwurm, Chaotic Good Kobold Sorceror 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147736)| 5/5
20* | Moranu, Neutral Good Elf Scout 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147687) | 7/7
20* | Eric Swift, Neutral Human Fighter 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=137012) | 13/13
15 | Kvenil, Lawful Neutral Elven Druid 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=149025) | 7/7
14 | Imke Silithar, Lawful Neutral Elven Wizard 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=149475) | 6/6
12 | Felon Adheran, Chaotic Good Human Warlock 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=148508) | 9/9
6 | Jale Morningson, Neutral Good Human Bard 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=148404) | 8/8
5 | Tai Lung, Lawful Neutral Human Monk 1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=148391) | 3/8
3 | Errol Magnus, Chaotic Good Cleric of Kord 1 (Strength, Luck) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147716) | 11/11
[/table]

* Moranu goes before Eric because his initiative modifier is higher (+5 versus +0). See "Initiative Checks", PHB 136.

The spiders act on initiative 14, just after Imke would, but before Felon.

I should mention: I've rolled everything for this round because I can't see the values of your roles in the "post reply" screen - just [ roll0 ]. Tatzlwurm, your initiative modifier is +4, not +5.

Killsauce
2009-09-21, 01:59 AM
oh, my mistake. I knew that I had a BAB of 0 and a ranged attack bonus of +5, so I assumed that it was equal to my dex bonus. I forgot the +1 from small size. Anyhow, since It's no doubt my turn(go kobold dex, go) I'm going to hit him with another magic missile.

Fragenstein
2009-09-21, 06:05 AM
Gladdened by the sight of one monster falling to its death, Tai grips the webbing as firmly as his hands will allow. His foot lashes out savagely as the young monk realizes inaction now will mean his death. Fortunately, his training allowed for a dearth of deadly blows from nearly any part of his body.

ooc: Unarmed strike for Tai, hoping to finish off the last creature before it finishes him.

Avner
2009-09-22, 07:57 PM
Felon
Invigorated by the kill Felon throws the cross bow to the side with no regard charging his hand with Eldritch energy. A wicked smile creeps across his face as the darkness within him lets loose a dark blast; hurling the vile beam at the remaining spider.

rezplz
2009-09-22, 08:32 PM
"God damnit!" Eric continued cursing to himself as his first arrow flew far and wide, missing the huge damn spider by a mile. He made a half-step forward as he started to reach down for his flail. But he stopped before the web, a simple glance down at the unsteady "climb" and the fatal fall below stopped him. "Damnit, Tai! Get the hell back here!" he yelled, quickly readying another arrow and firing it at the spider.

ingenua
2009-09-23, 06:53 AM
At Eric's blustering, Kvenil smiled to herself a little. In the few times they'd spoken, he had used more curses than she'd heard during the rest of her lifetime. She'd never seen him truly irritated until now, though.

Not that he didn't have good reason, of course. These impulsive humans and their bravery ... Although she guessed it wasn't exactly easy for Tai to climb back to where they were. Not that she could help him from here ...

She reviewed the spells she had prepared that day. None were of any use here. Oh well, at least she had a useful weapon. Seeing her arrow fall short of the spiders, Kvenil took a step closer to the edge of the precipice. Aiming carefully, she loosed an arrow in the direction of the remaining spider.

A sudden terror hit her, of the possibility that Eui could reappear and, by some freak accident, be impaled on her arrow. Kvenil became even more pale, if that were possible, her eyes searching the web-filled space frantically. It was no use listening for wingbeats; the bird could be absolutely silent in flight. Maybe the owl would have enough sense to stay out of the way ... She hoped so.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-23, 08:11 PM
Moranu swiftly and silently nocks another arrow, shooting straight toward the nearest spider. A slight twang echoes through the hall and crevice as the projectile is released.

DemonWasp
2009-09-26, 06:59 PM
Tatzlwurm, quick to act again, throws another magical missile at the spider, knocking the tip off of one of its legs. The creature makes an odd screeching noise in protest. Moranu's arrow sticks in its meaty back section, a small spray of spider-blood squelching out. Eric, keen to repent his earlier mistake, slings his stone with impeccable accuracy, striking the spider in the head, dashing out its brains and leaving its quivering husk to fall into the webs lower down.

Tai, understandably relieved to still be alive, realises that the danger has not yet passed. As much as he may have shrugged off the initial effects of the spider's venom, the poison remains in his system and may yet take its toll. Given his current position, that could easily prove fatal.

OOC
Consider combat to be over, as there are no further threats...as far as you can see.

Fragenstein
2009-09-26, 08:51 PM
Tai watched the spider fall and demonstrated a most un-monastic hand gesture to salute its defeat. Certainly he didn't learn it from any of the masters, but the gnomish workers recruited to help tend the temple grounds would have recognized it and approved.

Unfortunately, he could practically feel the beast's venom working its way through his body. The health conscious lifestyle he'd been raised provided a good buffer and rugged constitution, but if he didn't get help soon then there was a good chance he'd be joining the monster in the dark depths below. With that in mind, Tai began to make his careful way back towards the others.

"See? Spiders... not so bad after all..."

Stormy
2009-09-26, 11:57 PM
Imke slowly lowers her bow, she had determined that her spells would be as likely to hit the others as the spider as closely grouped as everyone was, and with Tai being so close to the spider, there was no way she could have cast anything without hitting him as well as the spider. She was relieved as well that her arrow had not been needed. She did well enough at the archery butts... and yet... if she'd missed, the scorn her companions would undoubtably heap on her would have been hard to endure! She watched Tai and frowned, had he been hurt? He was certainly moving slowly...

blackseven
2009-09-27, 02:13 AM
"Good work, everyone," Jale says as he stops recounting his story. He turns to the monk, saying, "Tai, you have a lot of courage, and toughness too... let's take a break for a bit and patch up those wounds."

DemonWasp
2009-09-27, 10:07 PM
Tai makes it across the webbing fairly easily, though he can feel his leg weakening as he reaches the tunnel entrance...the hole left by the spider's fang is deep and oozing a dark, foul-smelling slime.

Fragenstein
2009-09-28, 05:16 AM
"Does this mean I'll get my own story too?" Tai asked, trying to stay upbeat.

The wound didn't look good and he was worried about what both the odor and the pain might mean. He was hoping that the healers of the group could come up with a way to help without suggesting that the limb needed removal. While there had certainly been one-legged fighting styles developed over the years, he'd never really thought much about their effectiveness outside of demonstrations.

"If so, please try to not call me Tai Spiderbait. Accurate though that may be it really doesn't match the sense of drama I'd wish to convey."

DemonWasp
2009-09-28, 08:08 AM
Errol pushes his way forward through the group with varying calls of "healer coming through" and "make way to the wounded". Kneeling beside the now-prone Tai, he inspects the wound gingerly. He produces a cloth, which he douses with a sharp-smelling concoction from one of his many flasks and then applies to Tai's wound, soaking up the vile liquid. The liquid gone, the healer peers into the wound, demanding light to better see his work. He murmurs a few words, and passes his holy symbol over the deep cut; Tai can only watch in amazement as his skin rapidly knits its way across the deep hole, as the pain melts away. When Errol again rises, he intones: "Though I have healed the wound, there is naught I can do for the poison; that is beyond my help. I hope you prove to be sturdy enough to withstands its ravages."

As Errol turns to walk back to his place in line, Tai feels an unfamiliar queasiness steal upon him; he fights it, his mind retreating to a place of strength, and it passes. Feeling better, Tai now feels as though the poison has been conquered as well.

OOC
Errol healed Tai for 1d8+1 = 6 of 5 HP lost, so Tai is now back up to full strength. Tai made his Fortitude save against the spider's venom with a save of 1d20+2=20 versus the save DC of 12. He has successfully resisted both primary and secondary effects of the poison.

blackseven
2009-09-28, 03:27 PM
"I'm more of a storyteller than a writer, but I would not worry, Tai. Stories tend to focus on the heroic qualities of the protagonists, and such a nickname would only be found in a comedy. Whether this turns into a comedy is all up to us, I suppose," Jale said with a slight smile, the rush of combat leaving him.

He was glad to see Errol call upon holy blessings and heal Tai, and it looked like everyone survived their first fight as a group without too much trouble.

Fragenstein
2009-09-28, 04:39 PM
Tai tested the leg, amazed at the rapidity with which it had healed. He knew that the village close to where he was raised had clerics that offered services such as this, but never having witnessed the miracles first hand he wasn't sure what to believe. Apparently, the rumors fell short of reality if nothing else.

He appreciated the healing even as the poison fell to his healthy body, though he was a bit distraught at the condition of his uniform. Tai had been trained to take pride in its condition, what with it being an identifying symbol of his temple.

"Thank you, Errol. It feels as good today as the day I was born with it. From here on out I'll try not to be so quick to require use of the spell. But all bravery aside, did we actually gain anything worth the effort? We still have the question as to going forward or turning back for easier routes.

"So what say you all? I can almost guarantee that there are no more giant spiders for at least as far as I could see."

Busy as he'd been at the time, Tai had failed to notice the small owl being sent to its task. He supposed that deciding their next move would depend on what the feathered hunter found.

DemonWasp
2009-09-28, 04:42 PM
As Tai turns to check the bird's progress, Eui flits down the passageway across the chasm and out of sight. Her egress from the lighted area is silent, and no horrible noises sound from the dark hole in the far wall; no noise at all, in fact. You have no idea how long it will be before she returns.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-28, 06:02 PM
Moranu waits with uncertainty, forest green eyes darting back and forth as he searches for the owl. He returns his bow to its resting place at his quiver, and kneels to pick up his still flickering torch. With a sense of uneasiness the elf rises and glances around at the party, making sure they are still together.

rezplz
2009-09-28, 11:51 PM
"Hahah, spiderbait!" Eric laughed, forcing his own uneasiness away as he slapped his knee, still laughing. "That's priceless!" Still laughing, Eric wiped his eye as his laughter slowly died down. With one last chuckle or two he finally stood straight again, putting the clumsy bow on his back where it belonged. He moved over to Tai, giving him a friendly smack on the back. "Spiderbait. I'm calling you that from now on." Eric bent down to grab his weapons again, looking down the chasm again with a slight concern. "So. Uh. Spiderbait, want to try climbing this **** again? And you know, not almost die this time?"

Fragenstein
2009-09-29, 04:43 AM
"I believe I can." Replied Tai, who was now regretting his quip earlier. "But let's be sure to remember the safety line this time.

"Say, do monsters like this ever collect items of value? Either from previous meals or just because they're attracted to shiny things? The spiders had a nest up there, but I wasn't able to see inside of it."

ingenua
2009-09-29, 06:04 AM
As she relaxed, the danger past, Kvenil's anger at the kobold returned, mingled with her anxiety at not knowing Eui's whereabouts. She took a deep breath and controlled herself, knowing that they still had a task ahead of them, and that they would need to continue much further before they could rest. She settled for fixing him with a cold glance, and muttering "I would have words with you later, Tatzlwurm."

Her emotions thus set to one side, she watched as Eui emerged from somewhere in the webbing to dart into the passageway on the far side. While admiring the bird's resourcefulness - she had only told it to search the chasm, after all - she wondered what it meant for further dangers. Was the chasm now empty? If the bird told her there were creatures, would that mean they were in the abyss, or in the tunnel? She hoped that it would eventually find nothing ahead of them.

She listened to the others' banter, increasingly confused. Why would one person knowingly choose to call another by a name they had been asked not to use? She shook her head, wondering at the silliness of humans. But at the suggestion of re-entering the web, she felt it was time to intervene.

"Tai, before you climb back in ... I sent Eui in to scout the area and see if ... it... could find any more creatures. It can fly, so it's got much less chance of getting stuck in the webbing than you do."

Her face fell. "I don't know how to tell it where to search for treasure, though. I'd have to show it where to look, and I can't see the nest from here. Otherwise it could go fetch anything in the nest, for us. As long as it wasn't too heavy."

Stormy
2009-09-29, 05:44 PM
Imke looked over at Kvenil, "Kvenil, you should not allow them to use your owl so. To fetch and carry!" She clucks her tongue, then sighs, "Besides, such a way of gathering treasures would be inefficient, and the poor little thing could not fetch that which we have been enjoined to bring back."

She smiles at Tai, turning her back on Eric. "Spiderbane, perhaps?" she suggests.

Fragenstein
2009-09-29, 07:04 PM
"Much less chance of falling to its death, as well." Tai commented on the owlish duties. "But I hate to think of it going to far. We have no idea what's yet ahead, I wouldn't want anything to happen.

"As for Spiderbane? I think Spidersnack might be more appropriate. However, seeing as how it was Tai Lung that the masters took under their roof to train for so many years, I'd hate to make them start all over with someone new. Tai Lung should be good enough for now.

"Though I'd answer to SpiderBITE if it were delivered in friendly enough tones," he directed towards his comradely tormentor. "But how does that solve the question of going forward or turning back?"

Avner
2009-09-29, 09:18 PM
Felon

Stepping forward from the shadows cast by other members of the group and the flickering torches and Lantern, they cast sharp shadows across his face making him look more menacing, his dark hair, moist with sweat looked oily, hanging over the side of his face. "Thank you for your bravery Tai" He says looking pained to say it, however the sincerity could be heard in his voice. "We should move ahead, We have brought the proper tools to do so." He pulls a bolt from storage and examines thoughtfully "If Tai would be willing I think we should have him try to attach a rope so that we can move across this pit. Or we could break up and a few of us could head back and check another corridor while some others continue this way."

blackseven
2009-09-29, 11:37 PM
"How does Eui feel about that, Kvenil?" Jale asks. "I don't like the idea of sending her alone to risk her life to maybe look for a couple trinkets. She is probably skilled, but she is small and we would have a hard time getting to her to save her in time if something unforeseen happened... sorry for letting you go, Tai, I didn't think it through fast enough."

"Felon, going across as a group sounds like a good idea. We seem to survive as a group. Do you think we should set pitons here and there to anchor us while we climb... on this... web...?" Jale looks visibly nervous at the idea.

Fragenstein
2009-09-30, 05:00 AM
"I agree, we should stay together. There is strength in our numbers."

The freshly healed monk begins to secure the robe about himself, using it as a safety line just in case the web proves more treacherous than it seems or if the chasm itself holds more hidden menaces. After all, he hadn't even made it half-way across before being attacked. That left a lot of webbing yet to test.

"If the more substantial of us could hold on to the other end of the rope, I think I'll go examine the now empty nest. Or at least I hope that it's empty. If you hear me scream yet again it means I've discovered hatchlings."

Tai didn't think he could tell the difference between a male and female spider to save his life, but the symmetry between a pair of the beasts living together turned his mind towards family. Though somehow that didn't seem right. Didn't natural spiders tend to eat one another after mating? He wasn't sure, nor could he say if the habit counted for the monstrous varieties of their kind.

"Perhaps by the time I'm done, Eui will have returned to let us know what yet lies ahead."

DemonWasp
2009-09-30, 09:20 AM
While Tai fixes the rope about his midriff, the soft flapping noise of owl wings heralds the return of Eui, looking no worse for wear, if rather excited. Eui races across the chasm to land rather hard on Kvenil's shoulder. She hoots four times, then dives at Kvenil's money pouch with an uncharacteristic fervor; while scrabbling for purchase, the owl eventually manages to get a coin in its beak, which it takes to land on Kvenil's shoulder. Hooting softly, the tiny owl brandishes the coin with obvious excitement.

Kvenil knows that owls aren't normally attracted to coin or other shiny objects, so perhaps Eui has simply learned of the fixation so many creatures have with the metal.

OOC: I've adopted female pronouns for Eui; I don't imagine it matters much, it just makes it easier to type.

Stormy
2009-09-30, 07:39 PM
Imke sighs very softly, it looked as if the company would soon be sidetracked with the hope of riches... ah greed... what a lovely emotion. Well, so be it. Perhaps if she helped, they could move along to the more important part, looking for texts in which magic may be detailed...

Imke smiles a trifle sourly at the owl, but brightens her smile for her sister. "If it would help, I can cast lights that will move around a bit. It will not last long, nor will it go far, but if it will help..." She flexes her fingers slightly, thinking of the shape of the spell, but waiting an answer before she casts it.

Fragenstein
2009-09-30, 07:48 PM
"Really?" replied Tai, preparing for the climb. "Yes, I think it would. If you can position the lights behind the nest I might be able to see if there are spiderlings inside. That way I'll know if there's anything living and potentially dangerous inside.

"After all, if there are more of these monsters just waiting to grow up and eat more people, then it might be a good thing to take care of them now."

Tai wasn't entirely certain about the statement. It seemed almost like... murder. Wiping out creatures before they'd proven themselves dangerous seemed a little nasty. But he only had to remind himself of the hideous ferocity with which the larger ones had attacked him earlier. That was not a force he was comfortable with just leaving alone like it was someone else's problem.

blackseven
2009-10-01, 03:08 AM
Jale thinks a moment, looking at Imke and mulling her suggestion over. "Dancing Lights, I presume? They only last a minute (literally), is that going to be long enough? Normal Light lasts 10 minutes, but then again the effect isn't mobile - I'd have to cast it on something on Tai. We can cast both, maybe."

Fragenstein
2009-10-01, 05:29 AM
"I would prefer to have the nest illuminated rather than myself." Tai reported. "After all, I want fair warning of potential hatchlings, not an attention getting spotlight monsters might target me by.

"But you two work out the enchantments between yourselves. If the safety line has been properly secured I shall begin my climb."

ooc: blackseven, you mentioned in the OOC thread about using a piton on the rope. If that's been done, then Tai will head towards the nest. Hitting it with either Light or Dancing Lights before he gets too close would be appreciated.

blackseven
2009-10-01, 06:21 AM
"Well they're technically an Illusion and a Evocation... nevermind. Right, back to work..."

Jale goes back to the pack mule provided by their employer and digs out a handful of pitons, and a hammer.

"Okay, someone stronger than me should pound a couple of these in. For Tai's sake." Jale looks around the group.

ingenua
2009-10-01, 06:58 AM
A bemused look on her face, Kvenil gently took the coin from the owl's beak and stroked its feathered head. She had been about to say that her owl would probably not recognise treasure if it swallowed some, when Eui returned and surprised her. What could the owl be thinking of now? Were there four creatures out there, spiderlings maybe? Or just four shiny coins lying in a row? She wished her experiment with paint and parchment had been successful, but Eui didn't seem to grasp the idea of images. Or perhaps her rendering of 'male' and 'female' had been ... inexact ...

It hadn't shown any inclination to sit on the picture of an egg, anyway. Maybe she'd never know.

It was probably safer to assume that there were four creatures, as the others were doing. If so, sending it out to fetch treasure probably wasn't a good idea, even if the owl now knew where the danger lay. But perhaps ...

"Are those lights likely to be as bright as daylight? If not, perhaps Eui could ride on your shoulder, Tai, as you climb out ... Maybe it'll be able to warn you if you're getting too close to any creatures."

Meanwhile, she stooped to the ground, trying to feel how strong her connection to the earth was within these halls of stone. "And I might be able to provide you with some more natural resistance, if you were to encounter more enemies."

Fragenstein
2009-10-01, 07:08 AM
"Every little bit helps." Tai commented as he watched Jale bring out the gear. The monk thought it best that one of the beefier group members drive them in. While he might be stronger than he looked, he was hardly a remarkable bruiser.

"If there are hatchlings then she might hear them or smell them before they can swarm. If there is only treasure, I'll send her back. Either way I'll be sure to keep her in one piece.

"What sort of additional protection are you thinking of? Resistance to the spiders' venom or would it be a toughening of my own hide?"

Tai had never had spells cast on him before, at least not prior to Errol's healing. He wondered what sort of magical miracles were yet to come.

Killsauce
2009-10-01, 03:25 PM
Tatzlwurm stood twitching. This was the first time he'd ever gotten in a real life or death fight. It was the first time he'd killed anything bigger than a mouse(which he used to practice magic missiles on:smallwink:). Eventually he came to. Kvenil, what words would you have with me? I think I did well for my first fight.(Bear in mind that I checked my character sheet and discovered that I didn't take Mage Hand, so I asked the DM to disregard the whole web shaking thing. Though, I assert that that would have been a good tactic, to draw out the spiders and avoid an ambush).

Blaine.Bush
2009-10-01, 08:13 PM
Moranu, Elf Scout

Moranu gently sets down his torch and turns to Jale, taking the pitons and hammer out of his hands. "I'll secure the rope." As he kneels, the elf grabs the end of the rope not attached to Tai and begins his work. After hammering the metal spikes into the stone a few feet from the precipice, Moranu executes a series of complex knots around the pitons. "That should do it. Seems taut enough." He rises and collects his torch, surveying his work as he does so.

[roll0]

DemonWasp
2009-10-01, 08:14 PM
Eventually, Tai manages to convince one of his allies to pound the pitons into the cracks in the floor. With the rope properly affixed - one end to the piton, the other to Tai himself - the monk is ready to begin his risky climb. He tugs on the rope nervously, hoping it will hold; certainly it seems secure enough.

Fragenstein
2009-10-01, 08:24 PM
"Very nice. Thank you, Moranu." Tai comments, pleased with the seeming security of the safety line. With this measure now in place, he heads up the webbing and towards the (hopefully), abandoned nest.

Eui, should she comply with accompanying him, being a welcome set of very keen senses.

"Remember to illuminate the mass before I get there. Give me as much advance warning of trouble that you can."

Climb Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]
Spot Check [roll2]

Whoops. Forgot -- DW is doing the rolling. Never mind.

Avner
2009-10-03, 05:12 AM
Felon

Extending his free hand to Tai "Good luck Tai, I will cover you as far as I can. Be careful, and try to be swift securing the rope." Felon says with a soft voice.

DemonWasp
2009-10-05, 01:26 PM
Tai makes his way up the webbing cautiously, watching closely for spiderlings by the light of the lanterns and torches below, helpfully held out over the chasm by their owners. Seeing no threats, he approaches the nest, only to find it empty - both a disappointment and a relief.

Fragenstein
2009-10-05, 01:36 PM
Tai sighed, feeling both dissapointment and relief at the same time. On the one hand, he'd been hoping to find some sort filched item of enchantment that the spiders may have collected. He remembered hearing stories about things like that as a lad, how monsters sometimes ended up with the oddest things either through an attraction to something shiney or as the unwanted leftovers of a failed adventuring party.

But seeing the nest clear at least let him know that the threat posed by the oversized arachnids had been well dealt with. Further, the lack of bones didn't force him to confront the dessicated remains of another living being. The monk wasn't entirely certain what he'd done with a dead humanoid. Leaving them to be entombed in a spider's web for the rest of eternity hardly sounded like a proper way to consecrate the deceased.

Fortunately, he didn't have to worry about that.

"It's clear!" He called down to the others. "I'll make my way across and get the guide rope secured."

He began moving across the webbing with that statement and headed for the far side. There'd be a short climb up from the lower attachment to the hallway across the chasm, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

ooc: Tai will be using pitons to secure the rope on the other side. The proper supplies will be tucked into his backpack for the task. Hopefully we actually brought enough rope for that.