PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #675 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2009-09-04, 02:16 PM
New comic is up.

chiasaur11
2009-09-04, 02:18 PM
How many bridges are there in a desert, anyway?

I get the feeling some locals may not have been entirely honest.

A. Smith
2009-09-04, 02:20 PM
{Scrubbed}

Nicely done.

Gotta love the meta jokes.

And Elan.

Manicotti
2009-09-04, 02:21 PM
wow, updated just as i thought, "I wonder if OOTS updated yet, it's been on a roll recently..."

anyways, well done as per usual. Love the commentary on fantasy "armor," and I can't wait to see if haley's boots actually end up coming in handy in this arc.

Goldfly
2009-09-04, 02:23 PM
Excellent strip. Loved the return of the Lime Green Boots Of Speed!

whitemane
2009-09-04, 02:24 PM
Totally awseome!!!

And is it wrong for me to think that even stick figures can look sexy in leather armor?

HOLEkevin
Hey! That's how I haggle too!

babson99
I have actually been in desert tents and haggled for stuff. It can take days.

Robert Paulson
2009-09-04, 02:25 PM
Excellent title. Also, I love the gag about "long leather pants." :smallbiggrin:

Darkroot
2009-09-04, 02:26 PM
Bridges? I don't get it, I must be being thick.. Still, Elan is being spoony. Yay!

Hm, so Haley has changed haircut, boots and armor? Wow, pretty much a full appearance change... and in well under 100 strips!

RoninAngel
2009-09-04, 02:26 PM
Nice!

Elan is so ardorable!

MReav
2009-09-04, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, considering in 3rd Ed Plate tends to be incredibly impracticable under the best of circumstances (let alone in a desert), the idea a Leather Headband confers more AC than it is quite believable.

chiasaur11
2009-09-04, 02:28 PM
Bridges? I don't get it, I must be being thick.. Still, Elan is being spoony. Yay!

Old gag.

"If you believe that, I've got a bridge down in Brooklyn I can sell you".

Needless to say, it is said by people who do not own the Brooklyn bridge after a doubtful statement.

xelliea
2009-09-04, 02:29 PM
Very strip.

Elan trying to haggle made me laugh.

Trixie
2009-09-04, 02:30 PM
Since when Durkon is an expert about leather armors? :smallconfused:

Or was that comment about his religious zealotry?

Anyway, shouldn't desert armor include some sort of head protection, like turban? :smalltongue:

Edhelras
Argh! I hate Haley's new armor! :smallannoyed:

Hardcore
"For the first 100 strips I thought I was barefoot."

Awesome

"I once sold a winsome young lass a leather headband that was more effective than plate"

was also good:P

Trixie
2009-09-04, 02:31 PM
Ps. What was that about "deuces"? Is this some kind of nickname for a card? :smallconfused:

Kaytara
2009-09-04, 02:32 PM
Loving the update rate. :smallbiggrin:

This comic reminded me so much of good old times. And good to finally have clarification on their outfits. I always thought she wore long pants because of how hard on the knees short ones would be for a tumbling acrobatic rogue, but it's nice to be sure. Elan's quip about boots was nice too.

And heh, she still has the lime green boots. XD She's been carrying them, what, seven years now? XD

Bad idea, though, Haley, with the "flaunty" armour. You certainly don't want to get sunburned in a desert, especially not with a redhead's complexion.

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 02:35 PM
Before anyone asks, YES HALEY HAGGLING WITH THE MERCHANT WAS MORALLY JUSTIFIED

Darkroot
2009-09-04, 02:35 PM
Ps. What was that about "deuces"? Is this some kind of nickname for a card? :smallconfused:

Deuce = 2

So since the aim of the game is to get as close to 21 as possible, drawing a lot of 2s means a lot of hits (draws).

(NOTE: 2 because aces [1s] are also worth 11, depending on choice of the player)... although I guess it'd be 10 cards with all 2s and 11 with 1/11s... i need to stop thinking about these things.

Kurien
2009-09-04, 02:36 PM
Do the Boots of Speed grant Haste?

BigFatLion
An "Elan Tax" huh. I guess Haley really does know her boyfriend.

RoninAngel

I agree, it's kind of ugly.

But it does show moar boobage.

General Valter
2009-09-04, 02:39 PM
"deuce" means "two" in cards. If you had a deck filled with twos, you'd be hitting a lot in Blackjack.

:elan:"No thanks, armor interferes with my class abilities"

That was my favorite line in this strip.

Dublock
2009-09-04, 02:39 PM
that was sheer epic. One of my favorite ones in a while.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-09-04, 02:43 PM
Wow... the Giant posted a new comic while I was gaming on the forum... sweet!

Anyone else feel a Dark-Sun theme to this land? Even the title... it'll cost you an Armor Leg, that's an old 2nd Ed Dark Sun Piecemeal Armor rule. Nevermind the haggling...

If V scorches the earth when he casts a spell we'll all know the truth...

Good Gaming!
-Jason

Yendor
2009-09-04, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I'm really not liking this new look, either.

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 02:44 PM
But it does show moar boobage.

Stick figure softcore: it's even SFW!

Sidenote: It seems like she's going to be wearing the boots of speed permanently now. Any chance she could get Elan's Boots of Elvenkind touched up too? The shopkeeper certainly got enough cash in that transaction to do it.

EDIT: It also seems like Durkon's eyeing a v-cut chestpiece like Roy's. Maybe they're in vogue? (Or maybe it's just hot :smallsmile:)

Teddy
2009-09-04, 02:45 PM
Nice! Better armor, art uppgrade (again. Last one was 2 strips ago :smalltongue:), and finally Haley will get her boots of speed in a not-so-lime-green hue. YAY!

Kaed
2009-09-04, 02:46 PM
I seem to be having an unusual issue with the comic in that if I move the comic back to 675, the page defaults to YESTERDAY's setup wherein 675 was not even listed yet, and I can't move forward to access it.

I have to open up a separate page, like the forums, before 675 will appear again.

I am not sure if this is a browser or server issue..

Darkroot
2009-09-04, 02:49 PM
I seem to be having an unusual issue with the comic in that if I move the comic back to 675, the page defaults to YESTERDAY's setup wherein 675 was not even listed yet, and I can't move forward to access it.

I have to open up a separate page, like the forums, before 675 will appear again.

It seems fine to me, have you tried hard refreshing (ctrl+f5)?

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 02:49 PM

Clear your browser cache.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-04, 02:51 PM
Heeheehee. :smallbiggrin: Glad that solves the "pants or shorts" issue.
Hooray boots of speed! What does Elan's belt do, I wonder.

Carteeg_Struve
2009-09-04, 02:52 PM
Okay. Regardless of how good the comic was, Giant needs to be flogged for the pun in the title.

Le Piaf
2009-09-04, 02:52 PM
finaly, her boobs or speed are usable

Kroy
2009-09-04, 02:53 PM
Thanks Giant for the quick update speed! It's just like old times!:smallbiggrin:

Hopefully this doesn't violate the no schedule talk rule...:smalleek:

Darkroot
2009-09-04, 02:53 PM

I'm trying to work out whether that was intentional or not...

Zanaril
2009-09-04, 02:54 PM
That was brilliant. Love the joke about female armour. :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
2009-09-04, 02:55 PM
Heeheehee. :smallbiggrin: Glad that solves the "pants or shorts" issue.
Hooray boots of speed! What does Elan's belt do, I wonder.

Belt of Charisma? That is a +2, +4 or +6 bonus to Charisma, depending on the version.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-04, 02:56 PM
Nice work giant with the jokes about chick's armor being so revealing. Not sure if I like the direction you're going with Haley. And to all you fanboys who are saying "But, we see her fun parts now," I say "She's a stick figure cartoon. How much fun can they be?"

slurpz
2009-09-04, 02:58 PM
Oh Elan. :)

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-04, 02:59 PM
Old gag.

Needless to say, it is said by people who do not own the Brooklyn bridge after a doubtful statement.

I do believe that the expression originated from an actual event.

Kaytara
2009-09-04, 03:00 PM
The sight of a spoony hero with viciously blond hair haggling for goods in a desert setting brings a pleasant feeling of nostalgia. :D QfG: Trial by Fire, anyone? XD Now all we need is a Saurus who takes to licking Elan and making Haley jealous, especially when it's discovered that the Saurus is a transformed princess (or prince :smallbiggrin:) or something.... XD

Golden-Esque
2009-09-04, 03:04 PM
Wait, the lime green boots are . . . gone?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Zordrath
2009-09-04, 03:05 PM
We finally get confirmation what pants she was wearing right before she ditches the old outfit and dons a new one with unspecified pants... :smalltongue:

Though honestly, I think Elan and Durkon are right. It does look like just some very revealing piece of cloth instead of anything that grants protection in battle. I think her best outfit so far was the resistance armor. Both the new haircut and the new outfit are a downgrade to me.

King of Nowhere
2009-09-04, 03:08 PM
Bad idea, though, Haley, with the "flaunty" armour. You certainly don't want to get sunburned in a desert, especially not with a redhead's complexion.

No problem with that, she's near the healing mcguffin. Or maybe she can directly conjure some protection spell for that

Berserk Monk
We finally get confirmation what pants she was wearing right before she ditches the old outfit and dons a new one with unspecified pants coverage... :smalltongue:

Though honestly, I think Elan and Durkon are right. It does look like just some very revealing piece of cloth instead of anything that grants protection in battle. I think her best outfit so far was the resistance armor. Both the new haircut and the new outfit are a downgrade to me.

They provide protection because the opponent is too distracted to aim properly. Also, anyone think this'll have a huge impact later on, like the armor doesn't protect Haley as well and she's badly hurt in battle. Also, anyone else notice her new outfit looks more like Sabine's?

Starscream
Love it!

Elan gets all the best lines:
"I guess my pants can use all the help they can get staying on"
"For the first 100 strips I thought I was barefoot"
"I thought those were only for our private time"

Thanks, Giant, this really made my day.:smallbiggrin:

Edit:
And I actually like the new armor. It compliments the desert color-scheme nicely. It'll look better when she's outside.

Joerg
2009-09-04, 03:10 PM

It's got magical protection from the heat; possibly that also includes protection from sunburns. And in RPGs, armor often protects the whole body even if it only covers a part of it because it's too much effort to determine where the character got hit. That's why the headband works :smallwink:.

Rustic Dude
2009-09-04, 03:11 PM
Wow. This is bad. Very bad.

Elan acting like Peter Griffin. That's not poor intelligence, that's negative intelligence.
Poor guy. At least he is with cleavage-girl.

Also: That rest have done much good to the Giant. :smallbiggrin:

Kurien
2009-09-04, 03:13 PM
I searched the entry for Boots of Speed from the D20 SRD:

Boots of Speed
As a free action, the wearer can click her boot heels together, enabling her to act as though affected by a haste spell for up to 10 rounds each day. The duration of the haste effect need not be consecutive rounds.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Price 12,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I wondered about the properties of the boots, so I searched it. Of course, since the Giant has modified magic items before, such as the Bag of Tricks, it might be a bit different.

Hey, I wonder of Roy could pull out a camel from his Bag of Tricks?

Kaytara
2009-09-04, 03:14 PM
It covers the entire body? Well, okay. I guess that could work....

We finally get confirmation what pants she was wearing right before she ditches the old outfit and dons a new one with unspecified pants... :smalltongue:

Not unspecified, don't worry. :D Her complaining and wanting to ditch the long leather pants implied she got short ones, instead. :D

Zordrath
2009-09-04, 03:14 PM
Wow. This is bad. Very bad.

Elan acting like Peter Griffin. That's not poor intelligence, that's negative intelligence.
Poor guy. At least he is with cleavage-girl.

That is one the best points of this strip to me, actually. In the previous arc, Elan was at times way too serious and intelligent for my taste. It's good to see him back in old shape :smalltongue:

teratorn
2009-09-04, 03:15 PM
The new outfit makes Haley look chubby! I like it.

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-04, 03:17 PM

Well, that explains why she didn't go for the chainmail bikini....:smallwink:

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 03:18 PM

And visible too :smallwink:

The length of the pants was an issue, so I'm willing to bet she is now in shorts, or capris at the longest.

That's the joke. Female armor in fantasy is notoriously lacking in coverage. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreastPlate)

Endure Elements lasts 24 hours. I'm sure Durkon wouldn't mind keeping it on her, or better yet, making an item with it.

Zordrath
2009-09-04, 03:19 PM
Not unspecified, don't worry. :D Her complaining and wanting to ditch the long leather pants implied she got short ones, instead. :D
Yay for more fanservice with story justification, then :smalltongue: I'm sure the fanartists will be all over barely covered Haley sweating under the hot desert sun... :smalltongue:

(*slaps self* It's a stick figure! A STICK FIGURE!)

hajo
2009-09-04, 03:19 PM
so Haley has changed haircut, boots and armor?
Don't forget her new +5 bow !
That freezing feature might come in handy in the desert...

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-04, 03:20 PM

Now THAT"S funny!
:smallbiggrin:

Joerg
2009-09-04, 03:20 PM
I just noted the strip title. Aargh! One of the best bad puns ever.

Elfin
2009-09-04, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I'm really not liking this new look, either.

Nor am I.
But the bit about women's armor is all too true...

Kupi
2009-09-04, 03:23 PM

Don't forget, the bag is capable of pulling out any animal except those which would actually be useful. :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 03:25 PM
Elan Tax! Why didn't I think of that before?

hajo
Hey! That's how I haggle too!
Haggling Haley-style, or Elan-style ? :smallbiggrin:

Teddy
Nor am I.
But the bit about women's armor is all too true...

Nah, noone's used to it, but we'll get accustomed to it.

Rycorin
Hm, so Haley has changed haircut, boots and armor? Wow, pretty much a full appearance change... and in well under 100 strips!

Yeah, Haley barely looks like Haley anymore. I hope the Giant shows her hair growing back, but usually hair grows slowly and it could take a lot of comic-time -- which would translate into a loooong period of real-time -- before it's back to pony-tail length. :smallfrown:

Teddy
2009-09-04, 03:27 PM
Don't forget, the bag is capable of pulling out any animal except those which would actually be useful. :smallbiggrin:

Cat was usefull, and don't forget beaver, rat and other rat.

Lerky
2009-09-04, 03:34 PM
wow so what's with the completely new Haley 2.0 I bet if someone reading strip 575 jumped forward 100 strips for no reason would think that Elan was seeing another women:smalltongue:

I wonder if Haley figured out that she paid 2,000 gp to have her boots dyed

Arin
2009-09-04, 03:36 PM
New comic is up.

This is a great strip, as all of them are, but for the DM in me this is one of the most essential, awesome strips to come out in awhile.

See, some people would look at Elan's goof and say, "Wow, low intelligence at work here." Because haggling upward seems, well... DUMB. This might seem at odds with some of Elan's previous behaviour, which has been downright shrewd at times, because people miss the very very subtle difference between the INT and WIS stats.

Order of the Stick is definitely a heavily-analogized thing at my gaming table, my players are all big fans so I'm constantly showing examples of OoTS behavior to help them understand the wonderful world of possibilities in D&D (Want to know how a CE character can fit in with a good adventuring group? Look at Belkar! Want to see what a CG rogue is like? Look at Haley! etc.) But whenever I get into my INT=book smarts, WIS=common sense diatribe, I sometimes feel like my players don't quite get it, and I've never had anything to point out to them.

Until NOW. :) Because this strip shows the kinds of shenanigans that someone with a high Int and a low Wis can get themselves into. And going back and looking over Elan's previous behaviour in that context will hold true to my players.

So thanks. :)

EDIT: This also is great for me to show different ways to play off low Wisdom, IE Belkar low Wis vs. Elan low Wis. Multi-functional goodness! :)

Random832
2009-09-04, 03:44 PM
I wonder if Haley figured out that she paid 2,000 gp to have her boots dyed

Not really - he wasn't necessarily going to sell it to her for 14k.

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 03:45 PM
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I wondered about the properties of the boots, so I searched it. Of course, since the Giant has modified magic items before, such as the Bag of Tricks, it might be a bit different.

Since when did he modify the bag of tricks?:smallconfused:

Random832
2009-09-04, 03:48 PM

I think at one point Roy said that the animals can't be useful in combat, but neither the actual description of the item not its behavior in the strip include that.

FoE
2009-09-04, 03:52 PM
But was Durkon's comment about leather armour morally justified?

Sorry, Rich, I have to put myself in the "I hate Haley's new armour camp." The cleavage is nice, but the colour offends mine eyes. Also, I'm going to miss Haley's bellybutton.

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 03:57 PM
I think at one point Roy said that the animals can't be useful in combat, but neither the actual description of the item not its behavior in the strip include that.

I think he was generalizing it isn't that useful

Malkar Grumbo
2009-09-04, 04:09 PM
This strip is great! Good old Elan up to his hilarious dimwitted antics makes me smile. :smallbiggrin:

Kurien
2009-09-04, 04:23 PM

Bag of Tricks
This small sack appears normal and empty. However, anyone reaching into the bag feels a small, fuzzy ball. If the ball is removed and tossed up to 20 feet away, it turns into an animal. The animal serves the character who drew it from the bag for 10 minutes (or until slain or ordered back into the bag), at which point it disappears. It can follow any of the commands described in the Handle Animal skill. Each of the three kinds of a bag of tricks produces a different set of animals. Use the following tables to determine what animals can be drawn out of each.

The heavy warhorse appears with harness and tack and accepts the character who drew it from the bag as a rider.

Animals produced are always random, and only one may exist at a time. Up to ten animals can be drawn from the bag each week.

Faint or moderate conjuration; CL 3rd (gray), 5th (rust), 9th (tan); Craft Wondrous Item, summon nature’s ally II (gray), summon nature’s ally III (rust), or summon nature’s ally V (tan); Price 900 gp (gray); 3,000 gp (rust); 6,300 gp (tan).

{table]Gray ||Rust || Tan|
d% |Animal| d%| Animal |d% |Animal
01-30 | Bat| 01-30| Wolverine | 01-30 | Brown bear
31-60 | Rat | 31-60 | Wolf | 31-60| Lion
61-75 |Cat| 61-85|Boar|61-80|Heavy warhorse
76-90 |Weasel| 86-100| Black bear| 81-90 |Tiger
91-100| Badger|| |91-100 |Rhinoceros[/table]

It states only one animal can exist at a time yet Roy has pulled out multiple animals before. Here he pulls out a cat, rat, beaver and badger. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) I'm sure the multiple animals thing is for convenience of the plot, such as when freeing the Order from ropes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html)
Edit: And I can can see a few more things the bag Roy has differs from the above quote from the D20 SRD.

v: :smallsigh:

FoE
2009-09-04, 04:26 PM
I have just one question: was Rich posting a new strip morally justified? :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 04:33 PM
It states only one animal can exist at a time yet Roy has pulled out multiple animals before. Here he pulls out a cat, rat, beaver and badger. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html) I'm sure the multiple animals thing is for convenience of the plot, such as when freeing the Order from ropes. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html)
Edit: And I can can see a few more things the bag Roy has differs from the above quote from the D20 SRD.

v: :smallsigh:

Ah! I see.

fox1212
2009-09-04, 04:35 PM
Belt of Charisma? That is a +2, +4 or +6 bonus to Charisma, depending on the version.

If the merchant would sell it for an initial value of 6k, then it has to be the +2 one.

TerrickTerran
2009-09-04, 04:48 PM
Lovable idiot Elan isn't totally gone. The bridges line was classic.

Weimann
2009-09-04, 04:49 PM
The thing I laughed most at was "Well, I guess my pants can use all the help they can get staying on."

I'm sure Elan didn't intend it, but he sounds so INCREDIBLY boastful there :P

Rhydeble
2009-09-04, 04:53 PM
Loving H's new outfit. And is it me or is durkon getting a new look soon? He really eyed that armor.

Doug Lampert
2009-09-04, 05:00 PM
I do believe that the expression originated from an actual event.Allegedly two Con men managed to sell the bridge repeatedly to various tourists.

You can find references on the Cultural Significance section of the Wikipedia article on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 05:01 PM
Allegedly two Con men managed to sell the bridge repeatedly to various tourists.

You can find references on the Cultural Significance section of the Wikipedia article on the Brooklyn Bridge.

I think they were more imigrants then tourists.

Protecar
2009-09-04, 05:13 PM
Well I for one enjoy the change. The blouse might seem a little bright, but as someone else mentioned, it'll probably go really well with the desert scheme. My proverbial hat is off to The Giant for his diligent tale-weavings. Well done again! :smallbiggrin:

warmachine
2009-09-04, 05:14 PM
Women's leather armour pretty much amounts to any attractive outfit that has one or more leather items in it."

Over 600 strips and the author is still making me laugh out loud. Someone give him another award.

Squark
2009-09-04, 05:29 PM
I have to agree with people, I'm not fond of Haley's new armor choice. It... just doesn't look right.

kinai
2009-09-04, 05:33 PM
The thing I laughed most at was "Well, I guess my pants can use all the help they can get staying on."

I like the second frame. :smallbiggrin:

Kinai.

Tova
2009-09-04, 05:37 PM
I loved this comic. After reading the first panel, I immediately thought "... she's wearing long pants?" And then burst into laughter upon reading the second.

I'm loving Haley's new outfit, btw.

Kind of sad that I came here wondering to myself what people could find to nitpick about in this comic. Then I read:

And this was almost as funny as the strip itself.

Then it turns out that the complaint du jour is Haley's new armour. Oh well. Can't please everyone, I guess.

DnDgeek13
2009-09-04, 05:48 PM
ok, good. comic.

and i really think the break was good for Rich. we have had more comice in one week than we have had in a month.

teratorn
2009-09-04, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with people, I'm not fond of Haley's new armor choice. It... just doesn't look right.

The Giant should allow a poll just for this one (we used to have polls in this forum in the old days). I really like the "new" Haley.

Sijo
2009-09-04, 06:04 PM
I didn't really like this comic, possibly because Elan is back to being an idiot.
Yeah, yeah, I know, that's his role. It's just that I got used to his being more effective and in better touch with reality (for him) during his last character arc.
Seeing him go back to make ridiculous mistakes is annoying. You CAN make someone be naive without sounding like a moron, you know. Oh well, I'll just pretend it never happened.

Btw, are the boots Haley asked to be dyed special in any way? I don't remember if they're magical or something.

And why does Elan need a belt of charisma when he already has the highest charisma on the team? Oh, right, moron. :smallconfused:

So far, I find the start of the book very slow... I hope things get better once they're actually in the desert.

John Campbell
2009-09-04, 06:21 PM
Btw, are the boots Haley asked to be dyed special in any way? I don't remember if they're magical or something.
Presumably, they're the boots of speed, which were totally powerful, but, like, lime green.

And why does Elan need a belt of charisma when he already has the highest charisma on the team? Oh, right, moron. :smallconfused:
He's a Bard. Most of his class features are Charisma-based. Boosting his Charisma makes him more powerful, in the same way that Roy boosting his Strength would make him more powerful, even though he's likely already the strongest person in the party.

I think Haley's new top might work better if she actually had shoulders...

Jagos
2009-09-04, 06:37 PM
And the Crowning moment of Awesome goes to...

Elan! Holy crap, I didn't take it seriously when they said he had a penalty to INT.

XD

lothos
2009-09-04, 06:46 PM
Loving the update rate. :smallbiggrin:

Seconded (thirded, whatever.... :-) ) Thanks Rich !

I'm trying to work out whether that was intentional or not...

I hope we see Haley get to do some extra-sneaky things now she can use them.

Also I hope that if Crystal is raised (I hope not, but..) and she finally catches Haley, her plan to kill her is foiled by the fact that Haley can move very quickly with the boots... Crystal will protest - "But you can't be wearing boots of speed, your boots of speed are lime green !"

Porthos
2009-09-04, 06:49 PM

As John Campbell said, it's actually a fairly intelligent choice. :smallsmile:

It makes all of his illusion based spells harder to disbelieve, makes him that much better on Diplomacy Checks, and allows him (potentially) to cast more spells per day.

Doesn't sound so bad to me. :smallwink:

So far, I find the start of the book very slow... I hope things get better once they're actually in the desert.

Slower than the third strip of Book Two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html) or the third strip of Book Three (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0304.html)?

Heck, even the third page of Book Four (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html) was pretty slow moving. Face it, it's tradition. :smalltongue:

For comparisions sake, the plot really didn't get moving in NCftPB until the 13th strip of that book (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0134.html), with the introduction of the Starmetal Quest. And even then it took another eight strips before the OotS actually got off their duffs and left town (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0142.html).

In WaXP, It took nineteen strips for the Plot Train to leave the station (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0321.html) (though, admittedly, we did have some Haley Introspection and Roy/Celia Stuff).

And as for Book Four, well, it took seven strips for Roy to get into Heaven (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html) and another ten strips for the Plot Viewer to come online. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)

So nothing new here, I'm afraid. :smallamused:

Daze
2009-09-04, 06:50 PM
Great comic Giant!

Strips like these are such treats to RPG fans. I mean seriously... who hasn't RPed a desert merchant town haggling scenario at least once?

Awesome, Im still laughing! :smallsmile:

Nights1stStar
2009-09-04, 06:54 PM
Meh, I'm not that concerned about how Haley's new outfit looks. (Come on, guys, it is just an outfit...) I'm just happy with Burlew's new update rate. More jokes and plot for me. :smallbiggrin:

Marcsin
2009-09-04, 07:04 PM
1) Too bad for Elan that Haley didn't want a female chain shirt.

2) Did ya notice Durkon lookin at the new armor on the rack (And that it was the exact same thing he already had)?

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 07:15 PM
It's been a while since Rich has just explored character without it being completely integral to the plot. The last time I think was the New Years Celebrations at the start of War and XPs.

Chances are they'll be a few more strips with V, Roy and Belkar shopping before we get back to the main strip. And....you never know, there might be ANOTHER side quest!

Herald Alberich
2009-09-04, 07:17 PM
2) Did ya notice Durkon lookin at the new armor on the rack (And that it was the exact same thing he already had)?

The shoulder pads are pointier, actually. It'd be funny if he bought it; the very minor art upgrade would fit well with his unchanging personality.

edit: It would do absolutely nothing about wearing heavy armor in the desert, but it's possible it's enchanted against heat like Haley's is.

Gwynfrid
2009-09-04, 07:22 PM
New strip ! Lime green boots ! Comments by characters about how they're drawn ! Minimal leather armor for ladies !

Wow, that was great. And that title is priceless :smalltongue:

Old gag.

That kind of reference is hard for non-native English speakers like me. Thank you!

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 07:23 PM
I thought it was more about the fact there wouldn't be any bridges in the desert, even if there's a Dune Sea.

deuxhero
2009-09-04, 07:24 PM
Haley's new armor looks rather silly

lothos
2009-09-04, 07:28 PM
It's been a while since Rich has just explored character without it being completely integral to the plot. The last time I think was the New Years Celebrations at the start of War and XPs.

Chances are they'll be a few more strips with V, Roy and Belkar shopping before we get back to the main strip. And....you never know, there might be ANOTHER side quest!

Would you count the probable resolution or Haley's Dad and Elan's Dad as a side quest, since it's not directly about the Snarl and Xykon ? If so, I'd say it's almost certain there will be a side quest.

Even if you don't count that one, Rich might well want to weave an extra thread in to the story.

Mike_the_Mystic
2009-09-04, 07:29 PM
Another good strip, I l.o.v.e this new arc!:smallbiggrin:

BatRobin
2009-09-04, 07:30 PM
I searched the entry for Boots of Speed from the D20 SRD:

Hmmm...does anyone see a Wizard of Oz reference with the heel-clicking speed thing?

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 07:31 PM
Would you count the probable resolution or Haley's Dad and Elan's Dad as a side quest, since it's not directly about the Snarl and Xykon ? If so, I'd say it's almost certain there will be a side quest.

Even if you don't count that one, Rich might well want to weave an extra thread in to the story.

I would, as I'd also count the whole Julia Greenhilt plot as a sidequest too.

Aerysil
2009-09-04, 07:34 PM
I'm not sure I'll like Haley's new look. But at least she can run fast now. And we're getting updates really quick.

Tobimaro
2009-09-04, 07:39 PM
That was brilliant. Love the joke about female armour. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, yes. The circumstance bonus to AC from the distraction factor. :smallbiggrin:

Count me amongst those who think that Haley's new armor is a winner. And I like the reemergence of the ugly Boots of Speed. :smallamused:

armourer eric
2009-09-04, 08:02 PM
My occupation has been insulted, I must now go sulk in my trailer.

Eric
www.jamesriverarmoury.com

whitelaughter
2009-09-04, 08:16 PM
Hmm, I wonder if Elan will ever work out that he can wear a chain shirt and still cast spells?

Poor Haley, having a relapse of incomprehensiblity...at least, I assume that's why my brain refuses to comprehend what she's saying in the first two panels.

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 08:24 PM
The shoulder pads are pointier, actually. It'd be funny if he bought it; the very minor art upgrade would fit well with his unchanging personality.

edit: It would do absolutely nothing about wearing heavy armor in the desert, but it's possible it's enchanted against heat like Haley's is.

Or he can just cast "Endure Elements"

Guancyto
2009-09-04, 08:25 PM

But... but the children! Think of the children! :smallfrown: Oh God, what have I done?

Fiery Justice
2009-09-04, 08:29 PM
This actually happened to one of my characters while he was haggling. He had a low charisma (9) and while he was trying to haggle for a cheaper longsword, he rolled a natural one on his diplomacy check. The Game Master decided that the sword was made by the shop owner's wife and I had insulted it's craftsmanship, so I had to pay extra as an apology. This didn't actually happen. But I enjoy lying to random people on the internet.

Sijo
2009-09-04, 08:32 PM
It makes all of his illusion based spells harder to disbelieve, makes him that much better on Diplomacy Checks, and allows him (potentially) to cast more spells per day.

Oh right, I keep forgetting about Charisma-based magic. I haven't played D&D since the second edition so I still find that weird. :smalltongue: Still, I wonder if the belt will make any actual difference in the strip? I mean, how can you tell between the highly-charismatic Elan and the boosted Charisma Elan? But Burlew has shown us he can do interesting thing with D&D's magic items (bring back the Bag of Tricks! :smallsmile:) so we'll see...

The Game Master decided that the sword was made by the shop owner's wife and I had insulted it's craftsmanship, so I had to pay extra as an apology. You see, THAT makes sense in-story. I'd prefer something like that to "I'm too dumb to realize 8000 GP is higher than 6000 GP". And its still funny.

Porthos
2009-09-04, 08:33 PM
Hmm, I wonder if Elan will ever work out that he can wear a chain shirt and still cast spells?

You mean like he did in the first 350 some odd strips? :smallwink:

Poor Haley, having a relapse of incomprehensiblity...at least, I assume that's why my brain refuses to comprehend what she's saying in the first two panels.

It's just gambling lingo. :smallsmile: She's saying that she's getting successfully hit in combat so much it was like she was constantly saying "Hit Me" (I.e. give me more cards) at a Blackjack table.

Querzis
2009-09-04, 08:49 PM
You see, THAT makes sense in-story. I'd prefer something like that to "I'm too dumb to realize 8000 GP is higher than 6000 GP". And its still funny.

Elan is perfectly able to realize that 8000 gold is more then 6000. But there is nothing especially surprising about someone not being familiar with haggling and Haley explained haggling to him as: «the buyer and the seller argue over what it (the item) is worth». Elan simply think a belt of charisma is worth more then 6000 gold, Haley never told him he was actually supposed to try to get a lower price.

Warren Dew
2009-09-04, 08:56 PM
Elan is perfectly able to realize that 8000 gold is more then 6000. But there is nothing especially surprising about someone not being familiar with haggling and Haley explained haggling to him as: «the buyer and the seller argue over what it (the item) is worth». Elan simply think a belt of charisma is worth more then 6000 gold, Haley never told him he was actually supposed to try to get a lower price.

Alternatively, he was just trying to save two of the merchant's nine children from starving.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 09:14 PM
What nine children? They always say that!

I am wondering when they'll get to a coffee-making carpet salesman.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-09-04, 09:17 PM
Belts of Charisma: for when the author is still sick of drawing Elan with a cloak.

mistformsquirrl
2009-09-04, 09:19 PM
Ahh OOTS, turning my bad moods into good ones <^_^>b

"I included a fairly substantial Elan tax in our budget..."

hah <,<

teratorn
2009-09-04, 09:41 PM
I thought it was more about the fact there wouldn't be any bridges in the desert, even if there's a Dune Sea.

It generally works with a landmark well-known in the country. For New-Yorkers it's the Brooklyn Bridge, although I'm not sure if that particularly story was true. In France there was a guy, by the name of Victor Lustig, who did "sell" the Eiffel tower... twice (ok, the second time the intended victim went to the police).

In Australia the equivalent would be a con-artist trying to sell the Sidney Opera House.

lunar
2009-09-04, 10:10 PM
Haley and Elan are sharing income now? I thought they were just bf/gf not married.

AdamG
2009-09-04, 10:11 PM
I don't much care for Haley's new armor, but I do like three updates a week. :smallcool:

Conuly
2009-09-04, 10:23 PM
Haley and Elan are sharing income now? I thought they were just bf/gf not married.

Roy's not his dad, but he sets Elan's bedtime. Maybe Elan is expected to have somebody else handle his money because, well... look at the comic!

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-04, 10:30 PM
I disagree. We should take this to another thread.

Silverraptor
2009-09-04, 10:31 PM

Bad forum move, dude.

the_tick_rules
2009-09-04, 10:33 PM
Are they gonna do a joke about where exactly they are keeping all this money? It's a classic D&D joke. Or did Haley jam it all in her bags of holding?

valce
2009-09-04, 10:35 PM
On a side note, is this the first time Haley has indicated that Elan is more important to her than (reasonable sums of) gold?

Now it's time for Elan to put Haley before Banjo :P

-V

ericgrau
2009-09-04, 10:38 PM
She still has the boots? Mmm, rapid shot hasted freezing burst sneak attack! That's gonna smart.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-04, 10:48 PM
Bad forum move, dude.
*WHOOSH!* Lengthen, lengthen, lengthen, lengthen the post of less than ten characters!

Liwen
2009-09-04, 11:34 PM
http://scottwegener.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/motivational-poster-female-armor-shiny-parts.jpg

And I even took the time to find a sexy redhead, Rawwr :smalltongue:

Notice that the guy is so distracted he hasn't even drawn his sword. Now that's effective armor.

Liwen
2009-09-04, 11:57 PM
Sorry for the two post in a row, but I also found a nice response to the fantasy armor cliché. I'd like to show you guys

http://vampjac.com/lj/humor/gygax/womenrealisticarmor.jpg

Shale
2009-09-04, 11:59 PM
Regarding Haley's armor, the merchant did say that it's enchanted to protect the wearer from heat. I assume magical sunscreen properties are part and parcel of that.

Auron
2009-09-05, 12:15 AM

As others have mentioned charisma is a useful stat for bards. However, Elan has another use for more charisma since, as a dashing swordsman, he can substitute his charisma for strength as long as he puns while he attacks. :smallwink:

fruityjanitor
2009-09-05, 12:31 AM

Some other posters already posted some reasons that boosting Charisma is a good idea for Elan but here's another: as a Dashing Swordsman, having higher Charisma allows him to do more damage when wielding rapiers. Link (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html)

On an unrelated note, I loved the punchline of this strip, and I love how frequently the comic has been updated lately :smallsmile:

Edit: ZOMG NINJA'D!

Shale
2009-09-05, 12:34 AM
By a samurai, no less.

fruityjanitor
2009-09-05, 12:35 AM
By a samurai, no less.

Oh man. What's this forum coming to when a Samurai out-ninjas a Ninja? :smalleek:

FoE
2009-09-05, 12:37 AM
Although Wikipedia isn't the definitive expert on the subject, there was reportedly a con artist named George C. Parker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Parker) who "sold" the Brooklyn Bridge several times, along with the Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Gardens and Grant's Tomb. So the old joke "And if you believe that, I've got a lovely bridge to sell you" probably has a kernel of truth to it.

kabbes
2009-09-05, 01:47 AM
A triumphant return to form from the Giant. This comic was brilliant on several levels. Bravo!

kabbes
2009-09-05, 01:49 AM
And whilst we're discussing other relevant images...

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215511792_o5PkM-L-2.jpg

Ronald_saveloy
2009-09-05, 03:43 AM
This was a refreshingly oldfashioned strip. Back to the old jokes about roleplaying and fantasy fashion sense.

About the armor, I just say two words: Bikini mail!

Zanaril
2009-09-05, 03:54 AM
And whilst we're discussing other relevant images...

I have my suspicions that Shadee designed the constumes of everyone on the island.

Koretsu
2009-09-05, 05:14 AM

Blackjack is a game where you attempt to get a number of cards to total as close to 21 as you can without going over. The decision to draw another card from the deck is often done by asking the dealer to "hit" you. A deuce is a term for a card with a value of two.

Therefore, a player who's playing blackjack with a deck of nothing but deuces is going to be "hit" a lot. ;)

Kaytara
2009-09-05, 05:46 AM

What about legally? :smallwink:

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-05, 06:04 AM
Blackjack is a game where you attempt to get a number of cards to total as close to 21 as you can without going over. The decision to draw another card from the deck is often done by asking the dealer to "hit" you. A deuce is a term for a card with a value of two.

Therefore, a player who's playing blackjack with a deck of nothing but deuces is going to be "hit" a lot. ;)

A deuce is an Ace or a picture card, right?

Ronald_saveloy
2009-09-05, 06:15 AM

I don't think so. That would be a win:

Ace (11) + Picture Card (10) = 21

Marcsin
2009-09-05, 07:07 AM
Oh man. What's this forum coming to when a Samurai out-ninjas a Ninja? :smalleek:

Well, at least it was a Samurai taking down the Ninja... That's genre correct; imagine his despair if it'd been a pirate :smallbiggrin:

Red XIV
2009-09-05, 07:27 AM
1) Too bad for Elan that Haley didn't want a female chain shirt.
In the desert? Ouch.

Sorry for the two post in a row, but I also found a nice response to the fantasy armor cliché. I'd like to show you guys

That's a woman?

Zolkabro
2009-09-05, 07:31 AM
HALEY IS HIDEOUS!!!!
:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious:

Weimann
2009-09-05, 07:36 AM
That's a woman?If you look closely, you can see a few fluctuation on the front of her armour.

Smiling Knight
2009-09-05, 07:37 AM
I have a slight preference for Haley's old look!!!!!!!!11:smallannoyed::smallannoyed::smallwi nk::smallannoyed:

But it is nice to have a fast update schedule. And the leather armor joke was spot-on.

Slayn82
2009-09-05, 08:24 AM
Great Comic, and shatering the poor fourth wall too.:smallsmile:

Haley's new armor looks rather silly

"Elan: Um, Haley, I thought those were only for our private time" - Halley is using what now? an leather baby doll? sexy...

and here i thought the Giant had made my day... i guess a circunstance bonus on diplomacy and iniciative?

Roy's not his dad, but he sets Elan's bedtime. Maybe Elan is expected to have somebody else handle his money because, well... look at the comic!
I guess Elan's bedtime is out of Roy's hands now

Gitp Fight club? well, i'll not put my money in the stormtrooper, those dudes cant even fight a bunch of hairy midgets.

Eric

You are a Pro, cheer up!:smallbiggrin:

JoseB
2009-09-05, 08:35 AM

No. A deuce is a two.

If you get nothing but twos during a game of blackjack, you will be saying "hit me" to the croupier a lot :)

Querzis
2009-09-05, 09:13 AM
If you look closely, you can see a few fluctuation on the front of her armour.

Which can easely happen with man too. No seriously, look at its face, I really dont get how thats supposed to be a woman.

Kaytara
2009-09-05, 09:21 AM
Which can easely happen with man too. No seriously, look at its face, I really dont get how thats supposed to be a woman.

I can. At first I couldn't, either, but now I think that the lips are a bit too full and the lashes a tad too thick and dark to look truly masculine.
Plus, there's the complete lack of even a shadow of facial hair. I know we're all used to elves and bishonen pretty boys here, but think logically. XD

The whole "women in men's armour" thing was touched upon quite critically in Assassin's Creed, heh. XD

Ruduen
2009-09-05, 10:05 AM
"Elan: Um, Haley, I thought those were only for our private time" - Halley is using what now? an leather baby doll? sexy...

I think he's referring to her chest, not her clothes.

Pants on was probably one of the better parts for me, after I realized what it said.

Also, now, is it safe to assume that dashing swordsmen can't wear armor?

snafu
2009-09-05, 10:45 AM
And to all you fanboys who are saying "But, we see her fun parts now," I say "She's a stick figure cartoon. How much fun can they be?"

I would have said the same at the start of the week. But now, that innocence has been shattered. Thanks, xkcd.

Larocs Macalar
2009-09-05, 10:57 AM
It is man, i never saw a woman with a beard...

:belkar: :roy:

teratorn
2009-09-05, 11:28 AM

You haven't been around much. I know a few guys who grew beards so they could look like their mothers...

Zolkabro
2009-09-05, 11:49 AM

:belkar: :roy:

S/he doesn't have a beard! What are you on about?

Dynneroth
2009-09-05, 12:27 PM
The new strips are awesome! Love the new location. Elan never fails to deliver the funny. The metagame jokes are hilarious, but I kinda hope they slow down over the next few strips. The last one had a lot.

Very glad to have the Giant back in the groove and getting the really quick new comics up.

Thanks!

Aris Katsaris
2009-09-05, 01:31 PM
The picture is that of Asha Greyjoy, the only daughter of Balon Greyjoy, from George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Porthos
2009-09-05, 01:32 PM
HALEY IS HIDEOUS!!!!
:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::mad: :furious::furious:

Strangely enuf, these massively OTT reactions are making me like the look more now.

I mean, dude. Seriously now.

dsavereide
2009-09-05, 02:31 PM

Before looking at the caption, I felt that was a woman. Just the softer lines, and the lips. Looks clear.

Haley really must love Elan to accept the way he throws away money.

Janmorel
2009-09-05, 02:57 PM
Haley really must love Elan to accept the way he throws away money.

Yeah, it's kind of sweet. And earlier, Elan tossed bardic tradition out the window by being upfront about the whole Therkla side-plot. I guess they've both learned to prioritize a bit better.

Selene
2009-09-05, 03:43 PM

Eric

^Wow. Nice stuff you've got there. :smallcool:

She looks more like V's little brother.

silvadel
2009-09-05, 03:53 PM
Elan says "Armor interferes with my class abilities"

Now even back to the beginning we see him wearing a chain shirt which is light armor that normally wouldnt interfere at all with a bard. This makes me wonder if any of the Dashing Swordsmen abilities require wearing NO armor as opposed to just not wearing medium or heavy armor.

The MunchKING
2009-09-05, 04:11 PM
$5,000 for his kids' food?? What's he feeding them, ambrosia shipped in from the Upper Planes?? :smallconfused:

Get 'em a $20 steak and tell them that'll fill 'em up. :smalltongue:

The MunchKING
2009-09-05, 04:12 PM
Old gag.

But it's the world's largest suspension Bridge, and I can get it to you for a LOW LOW price!!

The MunchKING
2009-09-05, 04:13 PM

"twos" if you prefer normal-people talk. :smalltongue:

The MunchKING
2009-09-05, 04:28 PM

You can tell that's a woman??

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-05, 04:30 PM
She has no Adam's Applie, duh!

The MunchKING
2009-09-05, 04:32 PM
S/he doesn't have a beard! What are you on about?

The ones in the background??

FlawedParadigm
2009-09-05, 04:49 PM
The picture is that of Asha Greyjoy, the only daughter of Balon Greyjoy, from George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

I knew I'd seen that picture somewhere before. I was about to post that I thought that this was the case, but you beat me to it. But yes, that is Asha Greyjoy, and yes, she is entirely female, even though she does her best not to act it, either. Read the books, they are beyond awesome. :smallsmile:

Blaznak
2009-09-05, 04:51 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure the color of the new armor is Haley's.
What I'm curious about is will Elan have something to signify he's even more charismatic after he wears the belt?

Belkster11
2009-09-05, 05:27 PM
I love the armor. I think it fits Haley really well.

Morgan Wick
2009-09-05, 08:12 PM

+1 good sir.

Don't get too uptight about Haley's new look just yet; part of the problem is the color clashes with her pants. Once she changes those she'll look totally hot. Er, in a stick figure sort of way.

noncaloric
2009-09-05, 09:06 PM
If you seduce an NPC while wearing a belt of charisma, do they get to re-roll after you take it off?

otakuryoga
2009-09-05, 09:11 PM
that was hilarious......

but...new standard orders....V casts wis buff on elan before any trips into towns

Kish
2009-09-05, 10:04 PM
that was hilarious......

but...new standard orders....V casts wis buff on elan before any trips into towns
Owl’s Wisdom
Transmutation
[...]
Duration: 1 min./level

Scarlet Knight
2009-09-05, 11:31 PM
That's a woman?

In so many stories, plays, & operas , there are women who dress like men & try to pass for youths. That picture actually makes me believe it could happen. Except when they look like Miranda Otto...

Herald Alberich
2009-09-05, 11:59 PM
Don't get too uptight about Haley's new look just yet; part of the problem is the color clashes with her pants. Once she changes those she'll look totally hot. Er, in a stick figure sort of way.

Nope, look again, those are the new pants. They're lighter than her old ones. But yes, not as light as the shirt, and it might be part of the problem people are having with it.

Liwen
2009-09-06, 03:10 AM
For all of the guys who commented on Asha (Thanks for letting me know who she is, I didn't knew), try this :

1. Ask a woman friend (or do it yourself if you are a woman, but in that case you should already know this anyway) to dress up for war

2. Remove all jewels, makeup of any kind and all articles of clothing safe for bra and underpants, after all we must remain civil and polite.

3. Cut the hair real short, like military short.

4. Don her up with a suit of armor, something that protects real well like a breastplate or a full plate armor.

5. Wander around town with your friend and ask people is they think she is a woman or a man. For 90% of women in the world, nobody will be able to tell for sure. The remaining 10% have either too pronounced female facial traits and/or cleavage.

PS: No speaking, less it will spoil the tests. Most women who warred along men during medieval age were recognized as such not by their appearance, but their voice (duh).

Kelly
2009-09-06, 05:20 AM
I actually thought Asha's hair is reasonably girly by modern standards; plus, her face is either girly or bishounen, and all the guys in the background have full beards. Not to mention, a lack of huge tits is hardly good reason to doubt a woman's sex, given that half of us have a C cup or less (not that there's anything wrong with bigger, it's just seriously over-represented in fiction, and rarely shown with the significant drawbacks). In heavy clothing, a woman's figure is not usually pronouncedly feminine, and real armour is heavy clothing.

And as Liwen is kind of pointing out, many cultural feminine markers such as high-maintenance hair, jewellery, and make-up are just as impractical for war as frills or tight skimpy clothing.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-06, 05:34 AM
Think also of what people like Joan of Arc had to face, she had to dress up like a man not because it's rather difficult to lead armies in a skirt, but a woman travelling alone in the middle ages was considered easy prey.

I think it came up in her trial and it was one of the charges thrown at her by the church.

Also, armour was generally made for men, and women who managed to find a way to wear armour had to wear men's armour. There was armour made to fit women, but I hardly think woman but a queen, like Isabella of Castille, Katherine of Aragon or Elizabeth I, would have any. Unless you're going to be some sort of Celt, which were one of the few who had women warriors and I think they just had leather. Amazons do not count!

Of course, since some how the world of gaming has some sort of women's liberation, none of this counts.

2xMachina
2009-09-06, 06:01 AM
The belt might actually make it harder for Elan to keep his pants on...

Rainbownaga
2009-09-06, 06:50 AM
6000 gold opening price for a belt of charisma. Am I the only one who's suprised he's only going for the +2 version? Given everything he does hinges on charisma and he's a high level character.

Or is he getting a +4 version and he's just that darn charismatic that the merchant is already taking off over half the cost?

Repzak
2009-09-06, 08:37 AM
I knew I'd seen that picture somewhere before. I was about to post that I thought that this was the case, but you beat me to it. But yes, that is Asha Greyjoy, and yes, she is entirely female, even though she does her best not to act it, either. Read the books, they are beyond awesome. :smallsmile:

Read (the first three of) them and found that I hated them. One of only two books/series ever I've ever been so bored by that I put them down and failed to finish them. Normally I read anything from Kafka and Dostoyevsk over Robert Jordan and Tolkien to Asmov and Gaiman (and don't mind a Crichton or le Carre in there either), but SoFaI was horrible...

I realize I'm in a tiny minority here - and I don't know why I disliked it so much except I got bored and frustrated with his style and speed of plot. But I just have to say that it's simply not for everyone - even if they normally like the fantasy genre.

Not like OOTS - who can not love that :smallwink:

Kish
2009-09-06, 09:47 AM
The things I've heard about George R. R. Martin's books invariably turn me off from ever wanting to try them. Oddly, or perhaps not, it doesn't matter if the person speaking is attempting to convince me to try them or to not try them--my reaction is either, "You're kidding? Ech" or, "You're right, ech."

banjo1985
2009-09-06, 10:05 AM
Oh Elan...will you ever learn? Apparently not. :smallamused:

I'm sure he'll redeem himself again somewhere along the line.

squidbreath
2009-09-06, 11:17 AM
She has no Adam's Applie, duh!

Bah! My dad's a man and he doesn't have a very visible Adam's apple, some women who are born with more testosterone may also have a bit of one, though it won't be as pronounced.

Gamerlord
2009-09-06, 03:05 PM
First of all, the pun in the title is awful Rich, never try something like that again, I need another cure potion.....

Second of all, funny comic.

Therefore:
Title Pun= awful
Comic= funny

VanIsleKnight
2009-09-06, 03:17 PM
Elan is a crafty consumer whose craftiness I have not seen since the days of Zoidberg. xD

I want to say that I really love the attention to detail that Rich has done in this comic. It's one of the things that I've enjoyed the most about Order of the Stick, and he doesn't overplay it to the point that every single little thing somehow becomes relevant. Sometimes a rock is just a rock.

Bianco
2009-09-06, 04:27 PM
Read (the first three of) them and found that I hated them. One of only two books/series ever I've ever been so bored by that I put them down and failed to finish them. Normally I read anything from Kafka and Dostoyevsk over Robert Jordan and Tolkien to Asmov and Gaiman (and don't mind a Crichton or le Carre in there either), but SoFaI was horrible...

Just for the sake of comparison: I like Fire and Ice very much, but can't bring myself to read Wheel of Time, no matter how hard I try. ;)

The strip was awesome. Unlike some others, I really enjoy seeing these "old-fashioned" joke strips. And Haley sure looks different, but I believe that in time I, as well as at least some of you, will get used to this new look.

Hithros
2009-09-06, 05:19 PM
...um.....Haley.....
But it was nice prepared of her to have an "Elan tax"....:smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2009-09-06, 05:27 PM
Harkening back to strip three with those green Boots of Speed, huh?

Clever?

ThePhantasm
2009-09-06, 07:19 PM
Maybe Haley will now use those boots of speed?

lothos
2009-09-06, 07:48 PM
If you seduce an NPC while wearing a belt of charisma, do they get to re-roll after you take it off?

I guess it depends if the situation is one like that depicted in Zanaril's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=19631) strangely disturbing avatar or more like that in Discord's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=44553) avatar. Anyway, who says you take the belt off at all ? :-)

...um.....Haley.....
But it was nice prepared of her to have an "Elan tax"....:smallbiggrin:

Someone mentioned something along these lines earlier in the thread - how Haley didn't get really upset that Elan was wasting party funds. It might just be for the sake of the "greater joke" on the Elan Tax, but it might also indicate that she has higher priorities than just cash now. Of course:

Start of Darkness Spoiler:
We know part of her motivation to want so much money is the 200,000gp she needs to give Lord Tyranarr to free her father.

Maybe as Elan is "the face of the party" being a high charisma bard, will be the one to haggle over the ransom amount....

Tyrannar: I want 200,000gp
Elan: C'mon Dad (assuming you are my dad) - I want to pay 250,000gp
Tyrannar: .......... Damm, my son needs to get a haircut and a proper job.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-06, 09:56 PM
That's not in the Start of Darkness, it's in the main strip and in the book No Cures for the Paladin Blues.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-06, 10:26 PM
Gitp Fight club? well, i'll not put my money in the stormtrooper, those dudes cant even fight a bunch of hairy midgets.
The Happytrooper is a lover, not a fighter. :smalltongue:

lothos
2009-09-06, 10:58 PM
That's not in the Start of Darkness, it's in the main strip and in the book No Cures for the Paladin Blues.

You are right, good point. The back story behind it is in Start of Darkness, that's what I was thinking of.

EDIT - OK, I was wrong twice, the back story is in "Origin of PCs". Sorry !

Expeditious
2009-09-07, 06:09 AM
I like Haley's new outfit as much as the old one. She's a rogue; the desert sand colored armor should prove handy when she's sneaking around, using her move silently and hide skills. And finally she gets to wear her boots of speed. Gotta love Rich for continuity nuggets.

Elan... Elan is <3.

Cire II
2009-09-07, 07:28 AM
I think Haleys new armour looks ok, but would probably look good with a head band or bandanna.She just looks bare as is.

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-09-07, 10:20 AM
I love this strip -- excellent stuff.

With that said, I have to agree that Asha Greyjoy looks like I would think an obnoxious, spoiled teenage male son of a Byzantine emperor would look. Nothing really feminine in the face -- if she had longer hair and a dress, you'd just think the emperor's son was in drag. :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2009-09-07, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure "male son" is how male employees of the Department of Redundancy Department identify their relationship to their parents.

Bianco
2009-09-07, 10:41 AM
With that said, I have to agree that Asha Greyjoy looks like I would think an obnoxious, spoiled teenage male son of a Byzantine emperor would look. Nothing really feminine in the face -- if she had longer hair and a dress, you'd just think the emperor's son was in drag. :smallbiggrin:
Oh, come on, people! Look at her lips and her eyes. She even has trimmed eyebrows, for Heaven's sake. Not everyone has "really feminine" face.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-07, 10:45 AM
First, Haley looks hot.

Second, women, even in armor, are easy to determine. They simply move different. Women and men are built to separate blue prints after all. That's how I can tell the difference anyway.

Now, that said, Haley in a skirt would help a lot. And don't give me any lip about battle effectiveness. Forget the Scotts?

Cpt. Red Beard
2009-09-07, 10:47 AM
I am presently studying in India, so this strip amused me greatly! We, the others on this trip and myself, like to play a game with the hustlers whenever we go somewhere "touristy". To play, you simply go to a tourist attraction, i.e. the caves of Ajanta and Ellora, and you get out of your car; if you are white, the hustlers will swarm you immediately and offer you all sort of stuff you probably have no use for, but don't fear, these things make great gifts for people back home! Then, once they make a starting offer, and remember this number because it is important for scoring, you try to get them to sell it to you for the lowest possible percentage of that number. For example, Mike is offered 4 crystals for 300 Rps; Mike, not even interested in the crystals but dedicated to the game and hustling the hustler, offers 50 Rps for all; as the guy slowly works down and time comes to a close, Mike is forced to walk away, still not budging from his original 50 Rps offer; finally, the hustler caves, and agrees to 50 Rps for all 12 crystals--1/18 the original offer--and Mike gets him to accept $1 USD--roughly 45-50 Rps. Now, at the end of the trip, day, weekend, week, whatever, everyone compares their percentages and the person with the lowest percentage of the original offer is the winner! This game is a lot of fun and makes dealing with hustlers and rickshaw drivers a lot more fun!

Great strip! I have missed all the Order being together!

John Cribati
2009-09-07, 12:55 PM
My father has used the bridge joke on me too many times.

Tundar
2009-09-07, 02:50 PM
Poor Elan, heh. I wonder if he's looking to buy an iron tower in Paris as well?

I don't like Haley's new armor, it makes her look fat.

daggaz
2009-09-07, 03:19 PM
For all of the guys who commented on Asha (Thanks for letting me know who she is, I didn't knew), try this :

1. Ask a woman friend (or do it yourself if you are a woman, but in that case you should already know this anyway) to dress up for war

2. Remove all jewels, makeup of any kind and all articles of clothing safe for bra and underpants, after all we must remain civil and polite.

3. Cut the hair real short, like military short.

4. Don her up with a suit of armor, something that protects real well like a breastplate or a full plate armor.

5. Wander around town with your friend and ask people is they think she is a woman or a man. For 90% of women in the world, nobody will be able to tell for sure. The remaining 10% have either too pronounced female facial traits and/or cleavage.

PS: No speaking, less it will spoil the tests. Most women who warred along men during medieval age were recognized as such not by their appearance, but their voice (duh).

You're kidding, right? I can tell a person's sex within MAX 30 seconds usually by their facial bone structure alone, and especially with the prominence or lack of an adam's apple. (its adam's apple for a reason). And I live in a major city with a prominent homosexual community rife with cross-dressers, transsexuals (pre and post op, with and without hormonal treatment), transgenders, androgenous and asexual individuals, you name, we got it. Ive yet to meet somebody I cannot guess, and I know cuz im the kind of a guy who is both charming and bold enough to talk to them about it. I dont think im special, either.. sexual traits are loud and clear in the face... if you dont think so, I recommend avoiding places like Thailand on your vacations.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-07, 05:29 PM
Ask a woman friend (or do it yourself if you are a woman, but in that case you should already know this anyway) to [...] Cut the hair real short, like military short.
I'm not optimistic that we'll get a lot of takers for this experiment.

spargel
2009-09-07, 10:43 PM
You're kidding, right? I can tell a person's sex within MAX 30 seconds usually by their facial bone structure alone, and especially with the prominence or lack of an adam's apple. (its adam's apple for a reason). And I live in a major city with a prominent homosexual community rife with cross-dressers, transsexuals (pre and post op, with and without hormonal treatment), transgenders, androgenous and asexual individuals, you name, we got it. Ive yet to meet somebody I cannot guess, and I know cuz im the kind of a guy who is both charming and bold enough to talk to them about it. I dont think im special, either.. sexual traits are loud and clear in the face... if you dont think so, I recommend avoiding places like Thailand on your vacations.

Try this then.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/closetqueer/PikminLink2.jpg

Kish
2009-09-07, 10:57 PM
It's a trick question. That inactive link has no chromosome structure.

David Argall
2009-09-07, 11:28 PM
OK, we are going to get a strip of Roy doing some buying and some buying by V as well in the next couple of strips.

I'll vote for the old Haley myself.

Tribute
2009-09-08, 11:52 AM
OK, we are going to get a strip of Roy doing some buying and some buying by V as well in the next couple of strips.

I'll vote for the old Haley myself.

Nothing wrong with that, i am confident that Rich has the ability to stuff some humor into that.

....right? :smallfrown:

nybbler
2009-09-08, 02:41 PM
I can. At first I couldn't, either, but now I think that the lips are a bit too full and the lashes a tad too thick and dark to look truly masculine.
Plus, there's the complete lack of even a shadow of facial hair. I know we're all used to elves and bishonen pretty boys here, but think logically.

There are lots of men with full lips (Mick Jaeger, Brad Pitt, Stephen Tyler) and thick lashes. Some men don't get much facial hair, and further, women are usually stated as trying to pass for youths, not full-grown men.

Zanaril
2009-09-08, 02:50 PM
There are lots of men with full lips (Mick Jaeger, Brad Pitt, Stephen Tyler) and thick lashes. Some men don't get much facial hair, and further, women are usually stated as trying to pass for youths, not full-grown men.

And quite a few teenage boys look like girls. Especially if they have long hair. :smalltongue:

Kaytara
2009-09-08, 03:07 PM

...So? :smallconfused:

Obviously, having thick lips or lashes isn't enough by itself. I was just saying that in that particular example, the lips and lashes and neat eyebrows tip the balance into female territory on an otherwise rather genderless face.

nybbler
2009-09-08, 04:08 PM
Obviously, having thick lips or lashes isn't enough by itself.

I'm saying you're being led by extremely unreliable cues; full lips and long lashes are fairly common in men (and even more common in male youths). And eyebrow grooming is culturally dependant and relatively easy to mess with.

Liwen
2009-09-08, 09:38 PM

Lucky me I don't do vacations.

But anyway it's obvious your environment pressured you to train your ability to recognized the gender of people you meet in the street. You like, have a PHD in Gender Recognition, by obligation. But where I live, nobody's got the practice for that sort of stuff and we would be all fooled by the first transsexual to come around.

I live in a town of a little less than 200 000 citizens. We have 5 times as many trees as we have buildings, 30% of the city space is dedicated to parks and natural preservation, our water is almost drinkable and we can bath in it, our air pollution is near 0 and yet we have all the stuff you could find in a major 1 million + city, closer to home, with no traffic jam and broadband wireless internet in 99% of the city's area.

For me, it's modern's time heaven.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-08, 11:02 PM
But where I live, nobody's got the practice for that sort of stuff and we would be all fooled by the first transsexual to come around.
Or maybe you already have been! :smallwink:

Lkctgo
2009-09-09, 12:20 AM
Or maybe you already have been! :smallwink:

And maybe so has Nimrod, his son is the memento from the trip. ;)

Selene
2009-09-09, 07:56 AM
I live in a town of a little less than 200 000 citizens. We have 5 times as many trees as we have buildings, 30% of the city space is dedicated to parks and natural preservation, our water is almost drinkable and we can bath in it, our air pollution is near 0 and yet we have all the stuff you could find in a major 1 million + city, closer to home, with no traffic jam and broadband wireless internet in 99% of the city's area.

For me, it's modern's time heaven.

That's a lot of citizens. I live in a small city of about 20,000. How's your weather?

TheBibliophile
2009-09-09, 08:56 AM
I don't get the bridges joke.

Kish
2009-09-09, 12:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge Scroll down to the part about selling.