PDA

View Full Version : Kalitharsis, Walking in the Wastelands

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jair Barik
2009-10-30, 04:45 PM
The desert is life. So strange that an object of death should support the life of the world eh? That such desolation should hold within it the last remnants of creation. It is a crater really, a crater from which small geysers of water spring forth and give life to the world once more. But what if we were to look over the craters edge, or were to dig beneath the geysers and search out the waters source! Or, on the other hand, what if we were to block them up. Drain the crater dry and watch as the ants that lived their ran about in the sweltering heat. Cause this is all theory. Big talk. Nothing serious. I mean, who's actually going to do any of these things? We all talk of them yeah but nobodies that crazy to try any of it. Right? Ah nuts to this, another beer barkeep.

Felix Bori, Drunkard

Walking in the Wastelands
The dunes spread out for many miles. They may go on forever but for the fact that they have an edge. You only knoe this because people have told you there is one though so you couldn't say this with absolute authority, with the crystal clear certainty of a person who knows beyond doubt that their knowledge is fact, is beyond fact, is a law of the Universe, immutable, irreversible.

The water is cooling, a refreshing drink to your parched lips. The sun is recently risen sitting in the sky but dampened in its heat by a thin layer of fog. The winds are yet to come and it seems as though tpday may well be pleasent as opposed to the baking heat of the weeks passed. The lone tree bears some fruit, very little but enough for a revitalising meal before you continue on your journey to...

To where? You had joined the trading caravan seeking some form of money or employment, when they found out the extent of your powers they abandoned you here at the oasis. Had this happenned down in the south things would never have gone so well. The caravan continued north back towards civilisation and you were left to fend for yourself, given a camel and enough food for 3 days for both you and it. This was a replacement for your promised pay. You are at a crossroads of life, your destiny is for once truly in your hands. You can go where you please,do what you want, be whoever you feel like. With nothing to constrain or tie you down the world is yours for the taking, all you need do is apply yourself to whatever task you will.

But where? The town of Ferz is about a days ride to the West, the village you set out from with the caravan 3 days to the East... Pirik was its name. Northwards the trail the caravan was taking is still clear in the sand or you could head south. South is the Dry Flats, civilisation beyond the Border Walkers and the home of the races of man elf, goblinoid and their ilk. What you do though, is up to you.

Emperor Ing
2009-10-30, 07:23 PM
Stiekel sits in the sand, her hands still moist from holding the waters of the oasis. She looks out mourningly towards the trail left by the caravan, in constant thought. Any second now the caravan will once again come into sight and rescue her from this mockery of the only remaining purity in the world. Surely the caravan drivers are not so cruel as to leave her for dead in the desert...right?
What did I do?
this thought cycles in her head constantly as Stiekel patiently awaits their arrival. After several minutes, the feel of the sun through the humid air reminds her that the winds will return, and any attempt to follow them by their tracks would be useless.
Wait a second...why am I following them? I...I do not believe I want this...I do not deserve this...damn it they do not want me!
Stiekel stands up, brushing a bit of the sand off her cloak. After a small bit of thought and looking around, she is able to remember that there is a town down south only a day's ride from here...Ferz was its name. A more economical alternative to another three days of hell to the east and an unknown number of days of hell to the north.
After a bit of preparation, filling the waterskins with water and packing up, Stiekel begins to head down south.

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 03:22 AM
OOC:Oops its to the west actually. Also are you riding the camel or leaving it behind?

Emperor Ing
2009-10-31, 05:11 AM
1) she'd be going west then
2) Riding the camel

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 06:10 AM
About twho hours into the journey you notice an unusual lump in the sand up ahead. Too small to be a dune and too irregular to be a rock you struggle to make out what it is from this distance. It is about 60ft directly ahead of you.

(OOC:Just as a note you will have to make concentration checks to cast while mounted on the camel.)

[roll1]

[roll[9d8+21
[roll2]
[roll3]

Emperor Ing
2009-10-31, 06:35 AM
Stiekel decides to check out this irregularity, goading the camel into slowly approaching it while readying an action to have it turn and make a run for it if things become....hairy.

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 06:44 AM
Standing over the lump you inspect it and find that it appears to be another camel and its rider. Yet to succumb to vultures their bodies are half rotten and covered in sand. The rider appears to have been a fellow kobold but it is not apparent what he died from.

Emperor Ing
2009-10-31, 06:53 AM
Er..go. GO!! Stiekel will try to make the camel continue west. Whatever was there, she probably does not want to be there when it comes back.

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 07:15 AM
Spuring your camel on it moves into a run across the dunes. Behind you a shape bursts from the sand and as you speed across the desert you are aware that it follows you.

Emperor Ing
2009-10-31, 07:25 AM
After several seconds of moving across the desertscape, something compels Stiekel to turn around and check for pursuit, to her suprise, she is being followed.
HEY!!

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 12:59 PM
The creature is moving with an inhuman speed but your camel manages to outpace it and it gradually falls behind you. From this distance you can't tell what the creature is bar that it is of human size.

OOC: world map has now been added to the setting thread

Emperor Ing
2009-10-31, 05:33 PM
Stiekel watches as the creature slowly comes out of sight. Relieved from the pursuit, as well as believing the camel might be a bit tired, she decides to goad the camel into moving at a more comfortable pace. She frequently checks her backside to see if whatever was following her continues.

Jair Barik
2009-11-01, 04:15 AM
It appears you have outrun the creature you do not see it following you over the next half hour or so. The sun fails to reach any expected heat today as the clouds hold. Your journey continues and you come into sight of Ferz near nightfall. It's clay walls protect it from outside assualt and it is built around a plentiful oasis. Lights flicker in the guard posts and the gate appears to be closed.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-01, 06:04 AM
The sight of the closed door is nothing short of annoying. Ugh...
Stiekel will try to bring the camel up to the gate, and see if there are any guards or the similar outside that might let her in.

Jair Barik
2009-11-02, 05:21 PM
Coming up to the gate Stiekel notices that there is a smaller gate built into it, a mere doorway in fact. This however is also closed. A board blocks up what you assume to be a hole through which a night porter can look through to evaluate incoming guests before allowing them access. Wether or not there is a night porter around remains to be seen.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-02, 05:32 PM
Stiekel jumps off the camel, and guiding it up to the gate, she will then disengage and knock on the smaller gate, awaiting an answer.

Jair Barik
2009-11-02, 05:48 PM
After a brief silence the board whips away revealing the face of a grizzled Lizardman. The exact origins or species is indeterminate in this light and due to a particularly disfiguring scar that runs down the length of his face. Looking at you through the hole he glances at your attire and camel.
"What do you want here at this hour?" his voice is gruff and rasping and his gaze remains fixed upon you.

OOC: Any luck with the character sheet yet?

Emperor Ing
2009-11-02, 05:53 PM
Stiekel opens her mouth to speak, but then stops briefly to think, then says
It is a long story, I have been out in the desert for the last few days. Would you mind letting me in? I am unarmed.

ooc: No :smallsigh:

Jair Barik
2009-11-02, 05:59 PM
Looking around to check for anyone else the guard gives Stiekel the eye over once more. "Strange things been going on lately. Talk of war and the like. Hang on a few seconds and I'll open the door. Not safe to be walking around at night. Not safe at all..."

The panel closes on the door and you hear a shrill whistle. A few seconds pass and then the door opens.

"hurry up and get in, can't stand around all day..."

Emperor Ing
2009-11-02, 07:25 PM
Even though she heard the lizardfolk's words, one word alone registered the sense of urgency

war

speaking quickly, there is one minor concern that must be addressed...
What about my camel?

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 02:47 AM
Grumbling the Lizardman opens one half of the large gate in addition to the smaller door. He doesn't open it very wide though, just wide enough so that you and your camel can fit through.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-03, 05:07 AM
Understanding the urgency, but with still a few questions in mind, Stiekel guides the camel and herself through the gate.

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 09:46 AM
The gate swings to a close behind you, its mighty wooden bar sliding back into place and a number of bolts are drawn across the door. The night porter walks into a small hut next to the wall and sits back in his chair, seeming to take no further notice of you. The streets of the clay town are relatively empty. The lights are out in the houses and only a few individuals walk about, some evidently drunk. It appears as thought there may be some lights on elsewehere in the town but mostly everything is already shut up, even the oasis is devoid of motion.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-03, 09:50 AM
Hmm, okay. Now then... Stiekel pays the drunkards little more than a glance as she continues along the street towards anything that resembles an inn.

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 10:25 AM
The first inn you come to is a place called the lofty griffin. It has a sign showing a griffin sitting atop a mountain with a monocle upon one eye and a condescending expression. A pun upon the title that implies this to be a pub as opposed to a true inn yet its 3 floors and general size suggest it may have board for the night. Light floods forth from its lower windows and a general hubub of sound spills out into the street.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-03, 04:32 PM
Classy.
Stekel parks the camel outside and tries to walk in.

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 04:53 PM
Walking into the door you enter a saloon style tavern. Numerous tables are scattered about the room with groups of patrons around each and a staircase to one side that leads to the upper levels.. Several more sit at the bar itself where a burly lizardman with a pair of dragon like wings serves beer to them. Nobody turns around at your entrance nor finds anything of particular interest about you it would seem. The occupants are largely Kobolds but a few Lizardmen of varying species are also here as are a few Gnolls and some Half-Orcs. The bar lacks the normally jovial temperament of many others and though it is far from silent the tone of conversation sounds sombre and serious. A group of Borde walkers are gathered round one table with various papers passing hands between them and at another is a group of goblinoids and humanoids speaking in business like tones with a well dressed Kobold in uniform. The group consists of what you gather to be a Half-Orc, a pair of Goblins, a Hobgoblin, an Orc, two halflings and a large burly man who looks like he may be descended from either a giant or an Ogre. Scanning further around the room you see a table of Kobolds and Lizardfolk dressed in a similar manner to the night porter and at the table next to them some merchant Kobolds with a horned human.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-04, 05:43 AM
Stiekel makes her way across the saloon towards the bar, and will attempt to talk with the barkeeper.
Hello.

Jair Barik
2009-11-04, 09:33 AM
The barkeeper stoops down slightly and looks at you. From the looks of things he has to do this often due to his remarkable size compared to his clientel and so he has a hunched back. "Hello. What can I do for you today than mam? Drink, food, lodgins?"

Emperor Ing
2009-11-04, 09:40 AM
Stiekel looks up at him, He seems friendly enough, that is a good sign.
Lodging, thank you. And speaking of lodging do you know any places where I can keep my camel for the night?

Jair Barik
2009-11-04, 09:46 AM
He looks about and then replies. "You could tie it up in the stable round back or down by the oasis if it needs watering. Don't often have much of a problem with crime round here so you should be alright. Its 2 gold for the night, 4 if you want breakfast and a lunch rations for the journey."

Emperor Ing
2009-11-04, 05:24 PM
Stiekel looks down briefly, then looks back up, holding 2 gold pieces.
Here it is. She gives him the gold pieces. I shall return. She will then go outside to try and put her camel in the stable, feeding it the day's food from the...convoy if she has not done so already. She will then go back to the tavern, towards the bartender. So, I heard a rumor about an approaching war. Would you care to clarify?

Jair Barik
2009-11-07, 01:26 PM
The barman looks sombre and having turned around to look who's listening a few times, out of instinct perhaps more so than need, he begins to speak. "Everyones on the edge at the moment. People speak of strange creatures wandering about in organised groups, harassing traders and the like. No word of approaching enemies from the border watchers so its all the more worrying. Then last week we lost contact with Kigen in the West. Two days later something hit Lavda. A messanger came from there speaking of an army heading east hitting towns as they came. No word from Lavda since. A few border watchers have rallied here and are seeking conscripts and such for a defensive maneouver. They've been hiring in mercenaries and the like, planning to make a stand at Fort Dust hollow, seems the next likely target." he starts polishing a bar glass and looks solemnly into its bottom.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-08, 05:46 AM
Feeling a tad uneasy, she nervously takes a glance to the side before focusing forward again.
I knew the desert was...saturated with magic, but this is strange. Coming into town I was chased by a...version of me I think that was dead, but then it came back to life..and started chasing me.

Jair Barik
2009-11-08, 06:21 AM
Overhearing the conversation one of the border watchers spins around in his chair and, standing up grabs you by the arm. "From which direction did you come into town! Answer me quickly, it is of great importance!"

OOC:Kobolds are common in the northern sands so don't asume that the dead one was like you at all. For continuities sake though lets say it bore some slight resemblance to you. Though many humans would easily mistake one kobold for another you as a kobold will be able to easily tell them apart just as a human can distinguish one face from another with ease.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-08, 06:44 AM
(( It's been a few hours, memory is fuzzy. :smallwink: ))

Startled, Stiekel turns towards the inquisitor. I came from the...uhh...east..yes, east!

Jair Barik
2009-11-08, 01:22 PM
"Damn it!" the watcher slams his fist against the bar. One of his companions stands up and walks over.

"Easy now Marl. What's the problem?"

"Vops dead. Or at least most likely dead. It would seem that we are dealing with a threat greater than that which we initially anticipated. If they sent something after our runner this is no mere bestial threat striking at all in its path. It is planned, calculating, attempting to shut off our communications and isolate our cities one at a time. I will take those I have already readied and head out to Fort Dust hollow, assuming it is not too late that is. Kagan, I leave you to gather further forces to be sent in the morning, and to dispatch new messangers, send them in groups this time, we need to make sure they get through. Men to arms!" with that Marl, a kobold you now see to be burlier and taller than most, marches out of the door of the tavern, a number of others following him but the one who stood to speak to him remaining. Shortly after a horn sounds outside and you hear people begin to wake around the town, preperations beginning.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-08, 05:12 PM
Watching the...troops march out of the tavern, Stiekel turns back to the bartender, both confused and a bit afraid. I do not understand, what is going on?

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 05:21 AM
The border watcher who spoke to Marl answers the question even though it is clearly posed to the barman.

"Marl sent out messangers to the major cities and other nearby settlements. He thinks the body you found,whatever it was, used to be one of them. Makes him worried about whats going on. So now hes rallying the troops hes managed to gather and taking them to the fort just west of here, intends to make a heroic stand against whatever this threat is. I'm going to stay here and gather further troops to march out come the morning and further support them. Marl hopes that what with the existing battalion stationed there and these reserves and militia hes managed to gather we might stand a chance at stopping the threat from spreading."
The barman then joins the conversation "Told her what I know of the threat."
"Good. If I were you then I'd get out of here fast or be prepared to join us at the fort if you have any fighting skills. Every man will be needed if Marl isn't overestimating the danger."

OOC: have you managed to try putting your sheet up on a different website yet?

Emperor Ing
2009-11-09, 05:39 AM
((I didnt know there were other sites :P ))
Stiekel thinks briefly before responding.
Do you have need of a..spellcaster?

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 05:59 AM
Kagan blinks and then replies after careful consideration. "Psions are always welcome. at the moment it seems we need every advantage we can muster. I'd make sure to get some sleep though as it may well be a tough fight come tomorrow."

OOC: try http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/

Emperor Ing
2009-11-09, 06:20 AM
Trying to respond fluently, without doing any of her characteristic nervous pauses, one of the things she knows can give her away in even a white lie.I am a pretty proficient pyrokineticist, I will see what I can do.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 06:26 AM
"Good. If you make it through the battle then you will be rewarded for your efforts, now if I were you I would go and get some sleep. It will be a hard day tomorrow and you are expected to rise with the horn." with that Kagan returns to his table and begins talking to some other kobolds on the forthcoming battle that he expects and preperations for it, also on the new messangers that need to be sent out.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-09, 09:39 AM
Hm yes, it is getting late.
Stiekel will then go up to her room, and rest for the night assuming something does not stop her.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 01:37 PM
Your room is small but perfectly adequate the bed hard but not uncomfortably so. You get a good deal of sleep only to be woken as the morning sun rises and pierces the window by the sounding of a horn from downstairs, not disimilar to that which was sounded the previous night.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-09, 03:30 PM
Aw crap, just a few more hours. She says as she is woken by the horn. On cue, and still understanding the urgency, she quickly dons her clothes and desert robe, equipment, and heads downstairs.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 05:23 PM
The inn is a hive of activity with brekfast laid out for all of the guests along with food parcels for those who paid. The inn keeper himself is nowhere to be seen and neither is Kagan. A number of other Kobolds and Lizard people though are about preparing themselves for what you assume will be the same journey you mean to take.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-09, 05:37 PM
Aww, suddenly the breakfast voucher is looking very good right now. Stiekel goes up to the bar, and attempts to interact with any other innkeepers in case there are multiple employees whom work shifts.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 06:39 PM
There doesn't appear to be any other inn keeper though a bar maid is serving drinks and food to paying customers down one end of the bar.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-10, 05:15 AM
Stiekel goes up to the bar maid, trying to get her attention. Excuse me, but is it too late to pay for breakfast, say, now?

Jair Barik
2009-11-10, 10:36 AM
"Nope, it'll be 2 gold fer brekfast if ya wants to be aving it now"

Emperor Ing
2009-11-10, 11:35 AM
mm, Okay fine. she reaches down and pulls out 2 gold pieces. Here you go.

Jair Barik
2009-11-10, 12:48 PM
The bar maid passes you some soup and a piece of bread then goes back to serving the other customers. The soup has a delicious smell to it and is nice and warm without being unpleasently so.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-10, 04:09 PM
Stiekel will eat it.

Jair Barik
2009-11-10, 06:26 PM
A couple of minutes after the first sounding of the horn it sounds again outside. The patrons of the inn file outside either to go to the call to arms or to watch the spectacle of these emergency reserves and milita mobolising.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-11, 05:32 AM
Assuming Stiekel is done with breakfast, she will leave the remains on a table and follow the makeshift militia to wherever it is they are going.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 05:44 AM
Leaving the inn you enter a crowd of people, milling about packing their mounts, polishing weapons and such like. You recognise a number of them from the previous night including Kagan who stands at the front of the crowd with a horn around his neck directing the others about the town square.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-11, 06:00 AM
Stiekel decides to go to her camel where she left it, and will rejoin the group once she has fed the creature and is mounted.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 06:09 AM
You rejoin the group just in time as they start to march out headed west ward for the fort. The camels file out and across the desert towards their destination in silence, well aware of what may await them in the coming day.

OOC: Do you want to do anything during the journey? Also continuing will now be difficult till I can see a sheet.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-11, 07:04 AM
((Because of the annoyance, I made a panorama-esque screenshot of the PDF of Stiekel's sheet on my computer.

BLAM (http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3233/stiekel1.png)))

Emperor Ing
2009-11-13, 05:59 PM
Stiekel, out of a bit of boredom, decides to talk to the person adjacent to her. She turns to the individual, whomever that may be.
...hello.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:09 PM
The person next to you is a kobold sized man who looks akin to a jackal. He reminds you of a Gnoll though smaller and less hyena like. He wears a black turban and cloak with a scimitar slung at his side. He also rides upon th back of a camel. "Hello little lizard. We ride to war today. Much blood will be spilt upon the sand before the sun rises the coming morning. Our enemies shall no fear and the cold embrace of death, the chill touch of our blades and the warm flow of blood from their dying bodies, the frozen last breath of the dying man as he falls limp upon the barren earth, the defeat of the fallen." he smiles and continues to look on towards the horizon.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-13, 06:11 PM
Wow, this guy has CLEARLY rehearsed this for a while. ...My name is Sindri.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:17 PM
OOC: If only that were the case....
He laughs a coarse laugh "Ha! It means nothing to me. The only name that concerns me is that of my enemy, each fallen of whatever race they be another added to my list of those that died by my hand and blade. The fallen of battle destined to be forgotten in the numerous rank and file of the war dead, the common soldier insignificant in the great scheme of the never ending war and battle, the dance of death and life"
he speaks with almost a religous zeal and fervour.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-14, 06:20 AM
Why does she get the feeling this has been said before? ...and your name is? And she might have to get used to going under the alias "Sindri"

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 06:45 AM
"The furious blade of the Shifting sands whose blood is as fire and whose foes are destined to die in battle at the hand of the unseen strike of the dancing scimitar."

A few other riders also catch your eye within the convoy, some distance ahead of you is the barkeep now armoured and carrying a spear on his back, at the front and rear of the convoy are a number of kobolds bearing the uniform of the border watchers, the group of humanoids and half bloods are right behind you and just in front of you is a pair of elves, a rarity in these parts. The convoy suddenly stops and you notice a dust cloud approaching with startling speed directly ahead of you.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-14, 07:37 AM
Aw hell. Stiekel lowers her hood to cover any incoming sand, but keeping just enough open so she can briefly see ahead of her.

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 01:15 PM
Kagan calls the collum to hold its ground. The dust cloud slows and diminishes as it gets nearer eventually coming to a halt before Kagan. As it settles you see half a dozen worm like creatures half burrowed into the sand each with a border watcher mounted on its back. The lead one dismounts and begins talking to Kagan.

Your 'friend' gives a coarse bark of a laugh "Haha! Ashworms!"

Emperor Ing
2009-11-14, 06:03 PM
Well this was unexpected, usually the desert would try to kill anything that makes movement. Do you know what they are? Besides Border Watch of course.

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 06:13 PM
"Ashworm dragoons! Riders of the sand beasts they ride to battle with great strength!"

Kagan blows his horn to attract the columns full attention then calls out so all can hear him.

"We will be moving at a slightly faster pace now than origionally intended so as to be at our destination faster. Fall back into line and prepare to move out!"
with that the column begins to move once more.

OOC: If you don't feel like chatting to NPC's (or as soon as you want to stop chatting) say and I'll move events to the next encounter/end of the journey.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-14, 06:31 PM
Stiekel glances towards the wormriders, then back towards Crazymad McLunatic. Is battle all you live for? Do you not have any other..job? Friends? Hobbies? F-f-family?

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 03:43 AM
The jackal man looks at you slightly confused. "Of course! What else could I live for! There is nothing but the battle, that is how it has been and always will be. Mine are a warrior to people, to live to die, we do both only for the battle."

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 05:59 AM
So you are not afraid to die?

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 06:02 AM
"I fear nothing that shall not happen! Even if it were to happen I have no fear of death, to die in battle is a glorious thing, the greatest end to a life of war and killing!"

The columns pace has increased and the day is continuing to get on. It is approximately mid day now, the sun is at its highest and its rays beat down upon you with great heat.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 07:02 AM
Stiekel does whatever it takes to keep the rays off, which would involve adjusting her hood and/or sleeves, or moving her tail onto the shadier side of the camel. Oh I think I get it now, you are of a warrior race.

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 07:31 AM
"Is there any other? We are all warrior races at heart. What seperates my people from the others is that we are naturally good at what we do, and that we aknowledge that we are warriors. So many ignore their inevitable destiny that they waste their talents, become bogged down in some other trade, fail to develop the skills they need and then die at the sword of one immesurably superior to them. That is life Kobold, we live and die by the sword, the great and eternal battle, fight and die, that is life."

He falls into silence and stares onwards into the horizon in solemn anticipation. The sky is darkening, a storm of some sort might be on the way.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 07:52 AM
Stiekel focuses back forward, then notices the sky. Hm, apparently this one does not know any better, nevermind, wait, what's going on?

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 08:07 AM
The ominous black clouds hang in the sky for the rest of the journey. By the time the column arrives at the fort it is nearly night, the sky is dark anyway now but the black clouds are bespeckled with red and orange, almost ashlike in appearance, a bad omen.
The fort stands mightily on the horizon, its walls an impenetrable barrier that rise up from the barren land as a symbol of mortal disregard for the whims of nature. Thankfully no hostile army is within sight and it seems as though you have arrived before the outbreak of fighting. Entering the mighty gates of the fort you are watched from above by hard faced soldiers, border watchers, mercenaries and other such creatures. A few natural allies seem to have joined the call to battle as well, winged creatures cloaked in the evning shadpws watching from the fortresses heights with animal curiosity as your party enters the gates. Preperations are quickly made with people being sent about and additional supllies brought by the column being handed around the fort. You are directed to a post upon the western wall. From your position in the courtyard you can see that the walls stand high and smooth with large wooden overhangs above them to protect from hails of arrows and to block out some of the suns glare. Stone staircases lead p the inner walls to these positions and towers break the walls continuity at regular intervals with doors leading inside from the battlements. A few trebuchets are being prepared within the courtyard with a Western facing, their ammunition being prepared and lined with pitch, the loading drills being carried out with military efficiency.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 08:28 AM
As soon as Stiekel goes up to her post, she will look around both in her general location and at the courtyard.

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 09:06 AM
The wall has a number of mats lying about its floor to make comfortable those on rest. 10 ft wide the walkway allows people to simultaneously man the wall whilst still allowing others to move along its length. The desert stretches out West before you with no obvious sign of approaching war within the growing darkness of the days ending light. A few other men also stand upon the wall nearby, some clearly on watch whilst others are getting the necessary rest before the fight. A few like you are getting their bearings. You see no familiar faces from the town or your journey here within the immediate vicinity, most being Kobolds or Lizardfolk but a particularly large Lizardman with tusks and horns stands not too far away. A black scaled humanoid with horns is nearby on your right who you believe to be a half-dragon.

Looking into the courtyard you can see a number of preperations going on that seem to have no relation to the columns arrival. Heavy ballista bolts are being stcked upon a pulley to be elevated into the towers, the 4 trebuchet (your position allowing you to better count hem now) are being dismantled with military speed and moved about the central fort, one to each facing. A few cauldrons of bubbling black liquid are being transported onto the walls and hand axes are being supplied to a number of soldiers. The axes are hardly battle ready but appear capable of hacking rope and such. Other armaments are being hauled out of the central fort to be given to soldiers in need of them and the camels and other mounts are being taken inside, perhaps to some stable or such like. the exception to this are the Ashworms who are being mounted up and rode away out of the gates.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 02:53 PM
Stiekel will sit down for a while, eating the food given to her by the..caravan, unless someone does something that requires her attention.

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 03:30 PM
The hours pass with little happening and the night falls proper, the heatc decreasing to a biting chill and the darkness becoming nearly absolute bar for the torches. Suddenly a flare of red fire bursts up from the desert towards the west quickly fading into nothing. A horn sounds on the nearest tower quickly echoed by all the other towers and a second flare shoots up, this time purple, in the North, then a green one in the east. The fort is soon mobilisng, directions being marked for you to take your places and ready yourselves, men filing out from the fort and last minute preperations being made elsewhere. The trebuchets are manned and the gate opens as a small group of Kobolds are quickly rushed in, only to slam shut once all are inside. A large tree trunk of a bar is slid into place upon the gate and something is shot from the centre of the fort high into the air. It explodes in a burst of sunlight and the desert is illuminated for about 10 seconds. In this short time you see a large black mass approaching the fort perhaps a mile off, and slowly moving about it on all sides, encircling the bastion as it makes its approach.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-15, 06:04 PM
Almost falling asleep from the waiting, Stiekel feels a bit peeved by them having to attack now, of all times. Nevertheless, she follows others from her general area, whom are more likely to have a better grasp on where they are supposed to specifically be.

Jair Barik
2009-11-16, 05:28 AM
The others ready various weapons ranging from bows to axes and spears. The darkness prevents anyone seeing just how far away the creatures are but after many minutes have past the first trebuchet hurls its flaming load through the air and crashes into the earth 200ft away from the walls. The flames illuminate the shadowy figures of the creatures but it appears none of them have been hit, the nearest being some 220ft away from the wall. Bows are readied now and positions manned, a burst of Psionic energy explodes amongst the enemy ranks and a number drop to the ground.

OOC:You going to do anything yet or is there a certain distance you will wait for them to be at before you act?

Emperor Ing
2009-11-16, 05:39 AM
Stiekel briefly looks to the left and right of her. Okay, remember, your name is Sindri, and these are pyrokinetic powers, any strange verbal or motor actions are an involuntary force of habit. If nobody is paying attention, she will cast Fireball into a thicker part of the mass, but not far away from the front ranks. (Range: 640 ft)

Jair Barik
2009-11-16, 06:07 AM
A number of the creatures are burnt but it is hard to make out if any of them fall. Their lines advance now, animalistic and disorderly, the trebuchet striking once more this time finding its mark and crushing some of their injured. You see the enemy for the first time now. Small baboon like creatures with beards of tentacles, some carrying small handaxes. A few of them are much faster than the rest nimbly running towards the walls, others have blurred out lines only half seen and painful to look at. A volley of arrows and billistae bolts falls upon them and more hit the ground. Then an explosion of sound behind the wall.

Within the courtyard a number of great pits measuring 20ft wide each have opened in the ground, hulking sacks of tentacled flesh errupting from beneath the earth scattering the area with clay. and sand. As they burst out more of the small creatures emerge from the holes. Some headed for the stairs of the walls, over for the trebuchet crews and the soldiers on the ground.

Map
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/battlemap1.png

[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-16, 09:57 AM
From her hearing, Stiekel turns to see the earth rip open with these monsters. By the gods, this must be how they were able to be so successful in their attacks.
She will aim another fireball at, in terms of the map, the upper left square occupied by the large monster in the courtyard, the one to her direct right in terms of the map.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-18, 05:34 AM
((Hmm, what are you waiting for now?))

Jair Barik
2009-11-18, 12:09 PM
(apologies didn't see you had posted. Could you roll some dice please?)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-18, 04:59 PM
((Not sure which dice, but w/e))

[roll0] - Attack Roll
[roll1] - Fireball Damage

Jair Barik
2009-11-18, 05:32 PM
The ball of flames explodes amongst the ranks of the enemy badly singing the small creatures and wounding the large. A volley of crossbow fire quickly finishes off the wounded smaller creatures around the first hole but the two larger monsters and the smaller creatures from the second hole are free to attack those around them. Three kobolds fall to the hacking axes of the smaller creatures and another two are smashed to piecesby the massive appendages of the monsters emerging from their holes. A few begin to ascend the stairs but are met with fierce resistance and land no blows. More fire reigns down upon the creatures charging the walls but their numbers continue to flow forward, a few even beggining to clamber up the surface of the wall itself. A second wave of monsters comes out of the holes, some of those climbing the first hole appear singed.

(Don't need attack rolls for fireball)
MAP
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/battlemap1-1.png

(Your initiative)

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]
[roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21]
[roll22] [roll23]
[roll24] [roll25]
[roll26] [roll27]

[roll28] [roll29]
[roll30] [roll31]
[roll32] [roll33]
[roll34] [roll35]
[roll36] [roll37]
[roll38] [roll39]
[roll40] [roll41]
[roll42] [roll43]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-18, 05:53 PM
((I know, I just didn't know what rolls you wanted me to roll))
Wait a second? What is that sound? Stiekel looks over the wall in...horror.
THEY ARE CLIMBING ONTO THE WALL!!! THEY ARE CLIMBING ONTO THE GODDAMN WALL!!!
Stiekel aims another fireball to hit both the larger monster that has not been burned yet, and onto the smaller ones that are climbing onto the stairs, careful not to hit any allies.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-19, 09:27 AM
[roll0]
((filler text))

Jair Barik
2009-11-19, 11:55 AM
That area isn't possible. You only have a 20ft radius.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-19, 03:41 PM
((Its a 40 ft diameter, the radius means from the origin (Center) to the edge.))

Jair Barik
2009-11-19, 03:49 PM
(Yes and its over 40ft between the two large ones that are uninjured, even further to get the ones on the stairs. Each square=5ft)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-19, 06:07 PM
((I'm trying to hit the ONE that is uninjured.))

Jair Barik
2009-11-20, 05:13 AM
Stiekel aims another fireball to hit both the larger monster that has not been burned yet, and onto the smaller ones that are climbing onto the stairs, careful not to hit any allies.

(So are you aiming at the injured one that has come out of the top most hole and moved east, or as in your post are you trying to hit the uninjured ones, ones on stairs etc.)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-20, 05:37 AM
((look for orange-filled square, thats where the fireball was aimed at))

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3731/ughf.png

Jair Barik
2009-11-20, 05:46 AM
The fireball explodes amongst the ranks of the enemies in the courtyard. The second of the great beasts is burnt but its movement is bareky slowed and it plods onwards crushing the kobolds who stand in its path. No more forces pour out of the holes now but those that have already emerged quickly scythe through the trebuchet crew only to be met by a group of border watchers in hand to hand combat, men falling on both sides but the fat monstrosity showing little regard for its opponents and crushing a further 3 beneath its limbs. The monsters on the wall fail to break the position but they are holding the defenders fast, the lines only just holding them back. Further out upon the battlefield you can see a formation of ashworms hit the enemies rear flank but wether or not this comes in time to save the fort is unclear. Thankfully the combined efforts of your flames and the swords and crossbows of the defenders scythes through the enemies on the steps. A creature now rises directly in front of you at the other side of the wall.

(Your initiative)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-20, 06:15 AM
Scorching ray right on the little piece of crap.
[spoiler]

[rolll]4d6

Emperor Ing
2009-11-20, 06:18 AM
[roll0]
filler text

Jair Barik
2009-11-20, 07:10 AM
The creature shrugs off the flames and swings with its axe, falling short of its target but lunging in and managing to bite you (3 damage). It is however felled from the wall by the swinging blade of the large Lizardman next to you who is managing to hold off his opponents but is gradually being overwhelmed. Another creature begins to make it towards you but is yet to reach a position it can attack from yet. A few are now mounting the towers trying to climb up to the ballistas and one of the large monstosities in the courtyard is finally felled. The other two however continue their path of destruction each heading in seperate directions to spread death throughout the courtyard.

[roll[1d4+1
[roll0] [roll1]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-20, 09:41 AM
If she can, Stiekel will try to cast Grease on the wall itself, to make climbing up the wall a tad trickier.

Jair Barik
2009-11-20, 10:53 AM
The grease slows the climb of numerous foes, many slipping straight off of it and crashinginto the ranks below. Eslewhere however they still come on and the remaining two beasts in the courtyard continue unchallenged. Those that had already mounted the wall continue their fight, the nearest one to you lashing out and striking you wit its axe (2 damage). This time though instead of coming to your aid the large Lizardman leaps into the courtyard and charges one of the two beasts. In the tower above you hear a merry yowling and laughter as a severed head of one of the creatures comes falling down from above.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-20, 04:58 PM
Stiekel might want to try Greasing this entire wall, if they can't get over the wall securing the courtyard will be cake, but it is hard to do if you are dead.
Scorching ray on the chicken nugget in front of her.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 03:03 AM
The creature steps aside from your spell but seems surprised at you casting magic. It isn't however deterred and flings itself at you axe and teeth. the axe is easily dodged but the bite just catches you (1 damage) but thankfully the wound is shallow.

[roll[1d20+7[/roll] [roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 05:55 AM
GET OUT OF HERE!!
scorching ray again
[roll0]
[roll1]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 06:13 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 06:23 AM
This time the flames blast full into the creatures face, stumbling it and giving some of the other guards the time needed to finish the job. You now notice looking outwards that lumps of stone are falling into the enemy ranks from above as your winged allies unleash a barrage upon them. Only one of the monsters is now left alive in the courtyard but the damage has been done and none of the trebuchets are operational it seems. Many kobolds lie dead in the courtyard. Your grease is preventing any ascent on this wall but elsewhere the enemy still come on. Up in the nearby tower you notice a spinning mass of cloaks that hits a group of foes and whips long lashes of blood through the air. The walls begin to glow red and silver runes along their surfaces begin to pulse into sight.

One of the guards shouts something "Finally! They have the heart crystals up and running! Not much longer boys! Not much longer!"

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 07:04 AM
The heart crystals? What does that mean?

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 07:06 AM
(OOC:Are you going to do anything else during your turn or just ask that question?)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 07:08 AM
Magic Missile to the last guy in the courtyard
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 12:54 PM
The man yells bacl "The special defenses! The Psions have almost activated the special defenses!" between your magics and the large lizardmans blows the final monster falls. The creatures though are now starting to overcome the difficulties posed by the grease, some climbing round the edges and others running to the more vulnerable parts of the wall. A few stand beneath it poised defensively awaiting the grease to disappear or the wall to become vulnerable.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 02:20 PM
Stiekel will cast Mage Armor on herself while moving back to join the rest of the group.

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 02:25 PM
Remaining with your group you see the Large Lizardman climb back up the stairs and take his place alongside you. At the moment the grease still bides your section of the wall some time to fire on the enemy from above, raining down a heavy fire of crossbow bolts. Boiling oil is poured out from the tower onto those climbing it and a few of the reserve troops in the walls second line run off to the areas in more need of aid.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-21, 03:17 PM
Pretty much everything that is needed to be done is already in motion. However unexplicibly, Stiekel is thinking like a tactician. If I Grease these stairs, these monsters will die simply trying to get down. Can I use my Fire to create a field of flames between us and our foe, so they burn while they slip to their deaths? Sadly the Grease does not last long, so I will have to time it well.

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 03:50 PM
The runes on the length of the wall begin to hum and glow with an intense light. A strong green glow billows forth from the fort. This does not deter the creatures though who, forming a line at the base of the wall send forth blasts of energy, a great sound wave that hits the defenders at the top of the wall, dropping several and wounding others (13 damage)

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

(your initiative, whats you current Hp?)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-22, 05:12 AM
((1 hit point left :smalltongue:))
The shockwave eminated from the wall catches her by suprise. As the wave passes over her, she becomes...overwhelmed. Gathering whatever remains of her willpower to stay active, Stiekel manages to catch herself as she falls to the ground. Needless to say the intense ringing in her ears has done its damage. Damn it I can summon fire to my enemies but I cannot heal myself?!

Jair Barik
2009-11-22, 05:17 AM
The creatures at the base of the wall unleash another wave of sonic energy on the defenders but as she has fallen to the ground it misses Stiekel completely. A few more defenders drop to the ground, some wounded, some dying, some dead but thankfully reserves are on the way. You can hear a scrabbling at the surface of the wall though and know that the grease has worn off. A few of your fellow defenders are taking out bottles of liquid and drinking them, they look slightly revived but their wounds still show.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-22, 05:49 AM
Because the second wave has missed completely due to a small change in elevation, it would be very wise for Stiekel to keep her head down. She will then cast Grease on the top of the stairs at the first signs that the walls are compromised.

Jair Barik
2009-11-22, 06:03 AM
OOC:On the stairs? You realise you are on top of the wall and that the only way to the courtyard is the stairs don't you?

Emperor Ing
2009-11-22, 06:47 AM
((Actually no, i didn't realize I was on the top of the wall. If it is okay I would like to ret-con the previous round as if Stiekel were recasting Grease on the side of the wall.))

Jair Barik
2009-11-22, 07:03 AM
You grease the wall and hear the sounds of the creatures sliding off of it, some to their deaths, others simply crashing back into the ranks of their companions. Several however where already mounting the top of the wall and are unaffected. One lunges towards you but is cut down in its stride by a whirling mass of black cloaks and flashing blades that flies at it from atop the nearby tower, cutting into its flesh and laughing all the while. (your initiative)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-23, 06:05 AM
Stiekel will use magic missles on any one individual that has already mounted the wall.
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-23, 07:13 AM
A loud grinding noise fills the air as you fire off your missile at another of the creatures. It is infuriating, a mighty grating noise that hurts the ears and shivers the bones.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-23, 09:37 AM
Since the change in elevation seems to offer sufficient protection, Stiekel has been the victim of Classical Conditioning to duck and cover in order to avoid friendly fire from those goddamned Heart Crystals. If there are any other enemies around, she will Magic Missile them too.
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-23, 01:31 PM
(OOC:ummmm the crystals are making the lights and screeching noise but as of yet haven't had any offensive/defensive effects, the sonic attack came from the enemy)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-23, 03:12 PM
((Better safe than sorry, says the lone hit point.))

Jair Barik
2009-11-23, 05:31 PM
You fell another creature and it hits the wall tumbling back to the ground below. People are holding their hands to their ears against the noise but many seem to expect this whilst the earlier assualt was completely unexpected.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-24, 06:22 AM
Stiekel will once again fire magic missles at another creature trying to climb over.
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 09:42 AM
You fire off the missiles to little effect. Then in a burst of light the wall illuminates th night sky. Howling waves of flame flow out from it into the massed enemies, burning them to a crisp, many dying outright whilst others are soon finished by the hail of missiles from those on the wall. The waves of fire flow out across the battlefield decimating the enemy and filling the night with screams and wails of agony as they are burnt alive upon the desert sands.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-24, 03:46 PM
Stiekel cannot help but look on the enemy, in complete and utter awe of what kind of power she might one day hope to obtain.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 06:29 PM
Soon there is silence across the battlefield, the waves of flame cease but the fires remain, the burnt bodies and scorched shrubs of the desert giving off some illumination still as the fires crackle about the fortress. People begin helping one another back up on the wall, tending to the dying or wounded, shifting through the dead to see the precise loss of life, a few heading down to scout out the tunnels. Echoes of battle persist in the air as you listen harder, ghostly, almost ominous, but it seems these are simply the sound of the Ashworm riders skirmishes with those surviving foes who weren't caught close enough to be slain by the flames.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-25, 06:04 AM
Stiekel again looks in awe of the devastation down below, then turns around to the signs of battle below. The dead, the nearly dead, the wounded, like her. None of this bothers her, things that would tear the conscious of anyone else seems...normal. She feels her wounds with a hand, pain, the look of it alone can incapacitate someone. As she looks at her hand, she realizes in horror that with the exception of this revealation, nothing bothers her.

Jair Barik
2009-11-25, 05:33 PM
The mass of spinning robes addresses you. "This your first time eh?" the voice makes you jump but turning to face the figure, the robes now stationary, you see the grinning face of your friend the jackalman from the convoy. "Beautiful isn't it? Course you realise they won't let you stay no more. I'm no scholar but I knows magic when I see it... Think bout it kid. Me an you wandering as we please, battle, death, our services to the highest bidder? We could make a pretty sweet living."

Emperor Ing
2009-11-26, 11:56 AM
Stiekel almost feels ashamed. Surely she could not be so foolish as to think everyone is ignorant enough to not be able to differenciate between magic and psionics. Nevertheless, she attempts the lie. Magic? No, I do believe you are confused, my powers are and always were completely psionic in nature.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-26, 11:57 AM
bluff check

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-26, 12:54 PM
The jackal looks at you and tilts his head to the side in surprise. "Really? huh I coulda sworn otherwise... ah well, the point is that you have fire in yer fingers and death in yer head! Think bout it kid! My swords, your spe- psionics, the two of us could do some reeeeaalll damage between us if ya know what I mean eh?" he smiles at you encouragingly.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Emperor Ing
2009-11-26, 01:07 PM
Stiekel pauses for several seconds in thought. I will need...time to think about this. Yes, you are right this is the first time I have experienced battle, but doing it for a living...I am just not sure...

Jair Barik
2009-11-26, 01:50 PM
"Suit cha self. I'm going to go to talk to some of those mercenaries, see what the talk is in the world an such." with that he wanders off down the stairway, picking his path through the dead with little care for the lost around him.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-27, 06:46 AM
Stiekel pauses for yet another moment, before going down to the courtyard, and taking a breather for a few minutes.

Jair Barik
2009-11-27, 12:47 PM
Nobody pays you any heed as you walk into the courtyard. It seems that at some point in the battle the camels were let out of the fortress, either that or somebody has taken the time to let them out since it finished, as they now stand around the courtyard, drinking from the well and eating what little shrubbery they can find.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-27, 04:18 PM
Stiekel will attempt to find her particular camel, even though it may prove...troublesome.

Jair Barik
2009-11-27, 05:23 PM
After much caareful consideration you find the camel that you believe was yours. It has the same saddle as before and your impression is confirmed by the presence of a few of your belongings still being on it. This task takes a few minutes though because of the number of camels and other mounts present in the courtyard.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-28, 07:34 AM
Stiekel decides that, for now, it might be a good idea to check out the rest of the fort.

Jair Barik
2009-11-28, 12:48 PM
It seems the forts doors are currently heavily guarded. A unit of elite border watchers preventing anyone who is not authorised from entering into the main complex.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-28, 01:18 PM
She will probably follow any one of the leaving warriors back, after eating of course.

Jair Barik
2009-11-28, 03:04 PM
None of the warriors seem to show any signs of leaving at the moment. Most are sorting through the dead, dealing with the wounded, a few are searching the tunnels or riding out west ward to aid the dragoons in hunting down any remaining foes.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-28, 05:40 PM
((I swear, drag00n is the most overused fantasy name :smallyuk:))
Well, it seems all she can do at the moment is find someone to talk to before anyone decides to start leaving.

Jair Barik
2009-11-29, 04:23 AM
Who do you want to talk to then? Somebody you already met or somebody you haven't met/haven't talked too yet?

(actually a dragoon is a real life piece of terminology. It generally refers to knights on horsebcak wielding spears If I remember correctly. Technically to call it an overused fantasy name is akin to saying the terms Knight, Wizard, Dragon, trebuchet and so on are overused. It wasn't invented by fantasy authors/game designers, it is a piece of history just as dragons are a piece of general mythology)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-29, 06:37 AM
((I still believe it's overused, at least 'knight', 'wizard', 'dragon', and whatnot aren't lame ripoffs (or at the least similar to each other) of another name. ))
It will probably be someone she hasn't met yet.

Jair Barik
2009-11-29, 01:22 PM
A number of people are milling around. There are a few border watchers (though they appear to wander with purpose) numerous kobolds of varying ages and genders, a few Lizardfolk (some kobold sized, some human a few bigger still) even fewer humans and half humans (a couple you recognise as some of the mercenaries from back in town) and some goblin like people who you did notice in the battle.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-29, 03:51 PM
She will try to say "Hi" to the nearest kobold or lizardfolk.

Jair Barik
2009-11-29, 04:32 PM
They seem not to hear you and go about their work as normal, not noticing the timid little kobold.

(could you specify what sort of size lizardfolk/gender/type of kobold/gender you want to speak to? also try something a bit bigger than 'hi' or they probably wont notice you)

Emperor Ing
2009-11-30, 07:33 AM
How about..Male Kobold.
mm, Excuse me sir but would you care to talk?

Jair Barik
2009-11-30, 01:31 PM
He looks round at you gruffly "Hmmm? Why? What is there to talk about. Big battle, lots are dead. Pretty sorry state of things if you ask me. Here have this fer your wounds." he hands you a bottle of blue liquid.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-30, 02:59 PM
She accepts the bottle, yet feels there is more to be said.
Thank you. But anyways, I am certain there is more to talk about then battle and the dead, for example, peace and the living.

Jair Barik
2009-11-30, 03:37 PM
The kobold laughs at you. "peace and the living?! Are you mad! Armies don't just go wandering around for the hell of it! You think this is the last you'll be seeing of war round here do ya? Well then think again. If your wise you'd best be gettin out of here. North, south whats it matter to me, butthe point is things round here are going to be heatin up soon. Won't be a place for peace for some time I'd say..."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-01, 09:47 AM
Stiekel is pretty ticked by this response, but this is not the worst thing to happen. Do you have any thoughts about this enemy, for example, what the hell are they?!

Jair Barik
2009-12-01, 09:56 AM
He looks down at one of the dead bodies. "Who knows. They came out of the east and thats just about it. We don't know if they crossed the border or what, they just came. No warning, no negotiations, just battle. That enough for you?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-01, 05:02 PM
Well then from what I have seen they do not have to march around the desert. If I am wrong, then it is a shame the wastes do not seem to do to them what they would do to anyone or anything else.

Jair Barik
2009-12-01, 06:28 PM
He looks at one of the bloated corpses of the larger beasts. A few people have set about burning it, beggining to throw the bodies of their dead foes into the rising flames. [color=brown["I assume your talking about the tunnels? No idea how far they run but one of our mounted scouts informed me that the main body of the army had been running overland most of the way. Or so it seems anyway."[/color]

Emperor Ing
2009-12-02, 06:28 AM
Hmm, of course, one massive tunnel could risk caving in and your entire army coming in from a few tunnels would be easily overwhelmed.
So how do you think they get through the desert as safely as they do?

Jair Barik
2009-12-02, 11:49 AM
The kobold shrugs. "How am I supposed to know? Maybe their well adapted, maybe they just managed to bare with it. Some people have been saying that thats it, that 'army' was all of them and now their dead. Me? I'm less optimistic."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-02, 03:32 PM
If that is it you would know, for example, if it is one army they will usually follow a pattern. Directional movement, predictable time period between attacks...

Jair Barik
2009-12-02, 05:30 PM
"Oh? And you think that is what has happenned here do you? Way I see it their just big bugs. Big vicious bugs. Locusts in fact. And they've been swarming along the border eating whatever they come across in their path. Directional movement? Yes. Predictable time period and pattern? Ha! They've just been moving along hitting whatever they come across, hardly call that intelligent would you? Sure they could deal a blow hitting the fort but if they were smart they'd ignore it, skirt round the edges and run on to hit more vulnerable targets. Way I see it we just killed a big ass bug swarm. Now all we do is wait an see how much we've riled up the hive..."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-03, 03:54 PM
But that is what I am saying. It is not calculated or tactical. They are in fact hitting everythng in a wave-like movement. When I said they were predictable, I meant by the direction of their movement and the time between two different attacks relative to distance, you can estimate the time period between where their potental next attack would be.

Secondly, I do not believe it would make sense for us to have rattled the hive, this may have been it if my theory of a singular army holds ground.

Jair Barik
2009-12-04, 10:29 AM
The kobold arches one eyebrow. "Oh? If your so confident why don't you go over there yourself then? See where they came from? Me? I'm happy to not indulge my curiosity on this one, you know, what with wanting to live and all."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-04, 03:22 PM
*facepalm* I never said I wanted to investigate their origins, it is just a theory.

Jair Barik
2009-12-05, 11:50 AM
He laughs again. "Ha! And thats all it ever will be! A theory! Unless that is they attack again. Then we will be in trouble. Heck! Who's to say they haven't already struck! That we aren't all thats left of our proud nation and that the rest of our towns and cities haven't fallen beneath the might of the enemy? I aint heard word from anybody further north for a good few days now. Thats pretty normal in itself but with whats happenned here you can never be too sure..."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-05, 03:33 PM
That idea is as valid as my idea that we will not see from them in the near future, as it is as much a theory as is mine. Nevertheless, nobody even contacts the northern regions, so their silence is to be expected.

Jair Barik
2009-12-06, 06:06 AM
The kobold stares at you blankly. "Where have you been for the last few years? Sitting in a cave out in the dry flats? Sure the southerners don't contact us up here in the north but that doesn't mean we don't chat amongst ourselves about politics and trade and stuff. Border watchers don't organise themselves matey, thats the job of the big nobs up top."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-07, 09:07 PM
I assume you are in a civilian position to recieve communique or the similar?

Jair Barik
2009-12-08, 03:51 AM
"Course. Civilian so I recieve messages from time to time but only very rarely. Higher ups may recieve them more often, how do I know."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-08, 06:27 AM
hmm, what do you do?

Jair Barik
2009-12-08, 10:03 AM
He glares at you. "I'm a farmer, whats it to ya?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-08, 03:35 PM
I was going to go into what is the nature of communications with you, but now you have just conjured up my curiocity even further; how does one farm in this wasteland?

Jair Barik
2009-12-09, 03:54 AM
"Ha! First question, letters. Second question, livestock. You get a few plants and shrub an such like but in general I farm livestock. A few people manage plants an such with either careful irrigation or the right choice of plants though. Ever tried cactus before?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-09, 08:04 AM
I have not, but back to the original question. Your letters with your contacts elseware in the north have been...reduced?

Jair Barik
2009-12-10, 03:56 AM
The kobold shakes his head. "Nope. Just haven't been getting any. I do get letters their just rare is all. So not getting ems not an odditty in itself, its just when things do happen you can't help but wonder if something you thought was normal isn't normal at all."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-10, 09:47 AM
Stiekel looks around, specifically out into the wastes for a second.
Look around. These are extraordinary times. I believe you are right to worry but you cannot always assume the worst.

Jair Barik
2009-12-10, 04:56 PM
"Perhaps...perhaps... but still things aint right lately. Wot with this attack, an the things in the south... the rumours from.... an that stuff with Tait... Ahh... I'm probably making a big deal of nothing. I have work to do, goodbye." the kobold hurries off to elsewhere, going to join in a project to move some collapsed debris from the eastern wall.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-10, 05:57 PM
Great, he ran off right as he was beginning to churn up her curiocity. Nevertheless, Stiekel will take another look around as to what is going on.

Jair Barik
2009-12-11, 05:02 AM
Until now you hadn't noticed that a portion off the eastern wall had fallen in. Work seems to be going underway to clear the debris. Other Kobolds still seem to be tending to the wounded and a few patrols are headed out. The pyre of dead foes is quickly starting to blaze.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-11, 10:34 AM
A fire? Well that will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression.
Stiekel will see if it is possible to leave the fort.

Jair Barik
2009-12-11, 11:28 AM
Nobody is stopping anyone leaving. There are guards on the gates but people seem to be going too and fro as they please, scouts entering and leaving, people headed off to do repairs on the outer walls and so on.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-11, 03:13 PM
If anyone is generally leaving the fort, she will follow them.

Jair Barik
2009-12-11, 04:44 PM
You follow a small group who are headed out on camels as they had south west from the fort. You manage to keep a pace with them but their head start means you aren't that near to their group, instead trailing a littleway behind it. It seems likely that they are headed towards the road that cuts through the area north and south.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-11, 04:51 PM
(she is following via camel) Stiekel will try to follow them, getting close enough just so she can easily keep her sights on the group.

Jair Barik
2009-12-12, 03:28 AM
Eventually the group reaches the road, they seem to number about seven in total. You see one of them start and point at something and then with a sudden burst of speed the group moves with great velocity across the road and towards some dunes.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-12, 08:25 AM
What the hell was that? Stiekel will try to go up the road just as far as they did, just to see wether or not they were running from something.

Jair Barik
2009-12-13, 04:36 PM
You head for the road but suddenly you see a great wall of sand blowing across the desert towards you. A great sandstorm cloaking everything in its path in darkness. Soon you hear the sound of its approach.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-13, 04:59 PM
Stiekel will not waste any time. She will try to goad the camel into going as fast as it can to the back of the largest dune visible.

(( *cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121876&page=11) ))

Jair Barik
2009-12-14, 10:29 AM
You make it to one of the dunes just as the sandstorm hits. Thankfully it seems that the dune protects you from the worst of the storms fury but it seems to give no indication of ending soon.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-14, 05:17 PM
Since she may or may not be there for a long time, Stiekel might as well get comfortable. Stiekel gets down from the camel and sits down with her back to the dune. You know, there is almost something calming about the sound of the sand blazing against the ground.

Jair Barik
2009-12-16, 05:02 AM
(you going to wait out the sandstorm then?)

Emperor Ing
2009-12-16, 09:53 AM
(In all likelihood, yes)

Jair Barik
2009-12-17, 05:57 AM
It is morning by the time the sandstorm clears. The geography has changed slightly but on the whole you can tell where everything is from a few larger dunes that have retained their shape over the course of the weathers ravages.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-17, 09:34 AM
Stiekel wakes up to the sunrise, realizing she fell asleep in the middle of it, I guess one can only sit in one place for so long before falling asleep. She then will rest and meditate just a bit more to refresh her spell slots, and then will feed herself and the camel some proxy breakfast, and continue along the visible road.

Jair Barik
2009-12-17, 02:05 PM
The road is half buried in sand but it is raised above the rest of the desert, the reason for this is now clear as even after the storm the path is still visible. The road stretches awayto the north and south, to the north there is only the horizon visible, to the south you can see the start of the dry flats looming before you.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-18, 09:44 AM
Stiekel looks down both ways, one way is an endless expanse of desert that goes on for...an indefinite amount of distance. Its desolation being obvious since there is nothing to even cast a mirage from.

The other way is a colossal mountain range, filled with legendary monsters even elite regiments of Border Watchers have to sneak around from time to time. Few settlements from there even exist.

after evaluating all options, Stiekel decides certainty is the safest policy, she will try to make her way back to that old fort if possible.

Jair Barik
2009-12-18, 10:26 AM
The sandstorm has decimated all traces of your path to where you are now. You could attempt to make your way back but you would need to call upon all your survival expertise to do so (survival check). Alternatively you may know of other how near the next town north is (knowledge geography check) as it is unclear how far away any fine detail is in the desert as the horizon ripples and shimmers with the heat.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-18, 05:22 PM
Stiekel tries to imagine what direction she came from....
1d20+2

Emperor Ing
2009-12-18, 05:24 PM
((woops, wrong tag. :smalltongue:))
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-12-19, 03:39 AM
Though you have a rough idea of the direction you came from you cannot pinpoint exactly where. Yes using the position of the road in relation to yourself you can tell the positions of north south and such like but the finer precision required to get to a specific point eludes you.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-19, 07:56 AM
Stiekel tries to remember where any nearby towns might be
knowledge (geo) check
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-12-19, 11:55 AM
You recall that there is a number of towns and villages built along the road. The nearest is perhaps a day north or half a day south, though there is unlikely to be anything larger than the town you visited last if you head southbound from here. Northward there is the majority of the settlements in the Northern Sands including the capital city.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-19, 01:08 PM
Supplies are dwindling noticably, so just for a time, it would probably be wiser to head south to stock up on supplies.

Jair Barik
2009-12-19, 01:11 PM
Assuming you ride your camel. Any other preperations/precautions I need know of?

Emperor Ing
2009-12-19, 02:13 PM
((Spell slots refreshed, I think I have 1 day of food and 2 days of water left.))

Jair Barik
2009-12-20, 04:23 AM
Heading south for the day you find the road to be almost suspicously empty. It is rarely travelled but the complete absence of any life is unnerving considering what has befallen you already. By midday you have still encountered no other life upon the road but you see something that catches your eye. A pillar of smoke rises up ahead of you over a dune towards the left of the road.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-20, 08:29 AM
Staying on the road, Stiekel will try to investigate the source of the smoke.

Jair Barik
2009-12-20, 12:21 PM
Approaching by the road you cannot divine the source of the smoke a large set of dunes seems to enclose it from the viewpoint of the road. There is however a stone pillar with a square slab atop it poking out of the sand about seven foot in the height of what is visible above the sandthat has piled around its base.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-20, 05:29 PM
Stiekel, feeling a bit annoyed, will approach the dune, dismount, and try to climb over the dunes to see what is causing this disturbance. Fire may be the common motif of the wastes but what is available to burn is quite few and far between.

Jair Barik
2009-12-20, 06:52 PM
Reaching the top of the dune you see a small settlement built in a sand basin completely concealed from any passing eyes that may be traversing the road. Today however the smoke of several great fires ruin its disguise. The settlement consists of a dozen huts, a small oasis and a few trees alongside some desert crops but all of these (bar the water) are aflame , some burnt out and smoking, others crackling with a great vigour. A few black shapes can be seen lying on the ground, perhaps people, and you can see the dead bodies of a few livestock near the pool.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-21, 10:05 AM
Stiekel takes a moment to adjust to the smell, then she will slide down into the remnants of a settlement.

Jair Barik
2009-12-21, 04:53 PM
(with the camel or not?)

As you near the settlement you notice the shapes are unmistakenably the dead bodies of the villagers, mainly kobolds but a few other more humanoid shapes too. It is hard to tell the cause of death at this distance but a few ravens feast upon the bodies,

Emperor Ing
2009-12-21, 05:01 PM
Stiekel guides the camel with her just in case.
She will investigate some of the huts, trying to determine if there are any survivors or...loot.
Taking 20 on search.

Jair Barik
2009-12-21, 05:53 PM
The bodies are mutilated, badly torn and savaged, a few burnt to a crisp. Most of the property is destroyed, wrecked, burnt, torn apart, but a few items can be salvaged. 32cp, 13 cp, 25gp, 7pp a copper necklace, a pair of silver rings, a gold bracelet and a bejewelled pair of ear rings. There is no sign of losses on any side but the villagers, assuming that is that all of these bodies belong to them.

As your search of the area goes on you find it suddenly cut short as an arrow thuds into the sand beside you with a white piece of cloth tied to its shaft. Looking up you see a large group of figures lined out across the top of the dune. At least a dozen, maybe more, their shapes unclear as the light stands behind them.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 06:06 AM
Stiekel's first thought is to summon the will of the desert upon them in glorious fire, but then she realizes she doesn't know what they are, and this may be a circumstance of being at the wrong place at the VERY wrong time. She casts Silent Invisibility on herself, and then move to a nearby tent.

32cp, 13 cp,

((typo btw?))

Jair Barik
2009-12-22, 06:14 AM
A ctossbow bolt flies into the ground as you cast narrowly missing you. You manage to complete the spell though but as you move for the nearest non-burning hut several figures detatch from the group and run don the hill.

There are at least three humans with longswords, a kobold in a tattered border watcher's uniform (he is relatively hairy for a kobold and has a scaly beard), a short Lizardman with a spear, a man with a whip who runs towards your camel and grabs it and also a large monster with bug like eyes and a incisors that lumbers down the hill and starts feeling around the ground.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 09:52 AM
Stiekel will cast Silent Mage Armor on herself just in case things get hairy before deciding to break her cover.
Excuse me, what is going on here?!

Jair Barik
2009-12-22, 12:59 PM
The men start and move to surround you forming a ring around you each man 15ft from you. The creature moves in front of you and five more men run down each armed with a crossbow. The kobold and Lizardman look at you but make no move. A figure at the top of the dune begins moving down towards you, another one of the strange creatures this one has some sort of small tent chair mounted upon his back in which sits a figure you cannot yet see.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 02:55 PM
Heart racing, hot sun, surrounded by a dozen armed strangers. There are few things going right for Stiekel in this scenario.
gentlemen...?

Jair Barik
2009-12-22, 05:01 PM
"Ha! What have we here eh? A mass murderer? Town slaughterer or just innocent bystander?"

A harsh rough voice calls out from the darkness and shade of the tent. Though still concealed by the darkness the figure appears hunched up with long thin arms, and a small head that perches upon its long neck. The creature it sits upon has by now finished its decent and sits just outside the ring, two bald tatooed men in robes having now joined it and standing at its sides.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 07:32 PM
Oh thank the gods! These ones might actually have a sliver of rationale!
Innocent bystander, literally the wrong place at the wrong time. This whole town was like this when I got here!

Jair Barik
2009-12-23, 05:35 AM
"Heheehe... Of course. Clearly you have nothing to hide. Why else would you be looting bodies and disappearing as soon as me and my men appeared than if you were nothing more than an innocent bystander? Now I believe that you have some explainin to do. Who are you and what are you doing here?" the man in the chair speaks but doesn't come out into the light. From his silhoute though you can tell he has just reclined back.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 06:38 AM
Stiekel signs and huches back slightly, trying to ease the intensity of her nervousness.
I came to this town to stock up on supplies, and when I came around I saw the smoke. I climbed over the dune to find the entire town has been destroyed, I decided to loot the bodies because I figured their riches are better spent amongst the living. Can your psychics not tell you that I am telling the truth?

Jair Barik
2009-12-23, 06:57 AM
"Hehehehe... Psychics? You think some of my men are psychics? Whatever gives you that idea? Besides hypothetically speaking if I 'were' to have psychics with me I might not chose to have telepaths, they might have different talents. Now then, as we have established that you were here for supplies perhaps we can establish why you came here? You say 'supplies' but that seems a bit far fetched to me, or at the very least a bit incomplete... You were headed for the border. Why?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 09:38 AM
I do not know what you are talking about, I know of no border. I came to this town to replenish on food and water supplies, and maybe lodging for the day. After this I was going to reverse direction and make my way towards the capital city where I was hoping to settle down for a while.

Jair Barik
2009-12-23, 10:42 AM
"Headed north eh? As opposed to south and towards the border, the dry flats an such like? Grizi! You come from round here right?"

The kobold in the border watchers uniform turns to the figure and nods.

"Could you make it to Sharadew in a single days travel?"

The kobold shakes its head and grins.

"Didn't think so. Well then. Looks like we won't be headed your way miss. I'd recommend you hand over everything you've stolen from here or Grizi will have to arrest you."

There is some slight grins and laughs from the men.

"If you need supplies we can probably sell you some but after that we probably gonna be heading south again. Aint nothin round here no more it would seem. This is, what the third hamlet we've found like this?"

"Was also that caravan sir" the little Lizardman speaks up.

"Yeah that... Well we going to head south again, been a wasted expedition if ya ask me."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 01:07 PM
Finally, a break in the questions, a chink in the armor of the creature. She must sieze this opportunity to turn the tables or die upon them.With all due respect, who are you and what authority do you have to arrest me?

Jair Barik
2009-12-23, 01:56 PM
"Who are we? Important! Thats who! There was once a time when the uniform of the border watchers meant something round here, eh Girzi!"

the Kobold smiles at you, but not in a particularly nice manner.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 04:48 PM
Could you be more specific? Names? Factional allegiance?

Jair Barik
2009-12-23, 05:32 PM
"Say the word an the little sass is dead boss."

One of the man growls and readies his sword.

"No need for that boys, I'm sure things can be resolved in a mutualy amiable manner. Perhaps if you wish to learn anything it would be good for you to tell us these things about yourself first..."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-24, 06:46 AM
This one might be fooled by magic...it is a risk, but it is a risk she should be willing to take. She moves 5 feet diagonally in a circle around the "boss" so he is not a silohette anymore.
Why would you like to know about me? I am much more interested to listen to what you have to say.
The move was to be able to see into the window of the soul of this creature, a vessel from which the mind of this one may be bent in her favor.

(she casts Silent Still Charm Person)

Jair Barik
2009-12-27, 04:02 PM
(FYI you realise you have a lot of people watching you anf charm person has verbal and somatic components?)

Emperor Ing
2009-12-27, 05:03 PM
(I have Silent Spell (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Silent_Spell) and Still Spell (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Still_Spell)metamagic feats going off at the same time, making Charm Person (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Charm_person) a 3rd level spell.)

Jair Barik
2009-12-28, 04:38 AM
You cast your spell and nobody seems to notice. From your movements and the movements of the sun you begin to believe the creature may not be human, its shape seeming too thin and stretched for even a very frail human, its main body also appearing too bulbous for its smaller head and limbs.

[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2009-12-28, 07:34 AM
(I'm quite sure he made his save)
..what are you?

Jair Barik
2009-12-28, 11:26 AM
The creature rises up from its seat and walks out onto its mounts head. It has an insect like body with 6 legs and a short pair of arms. Its body is covered in an orange fur and its long neck bends upwards ending in an intelligent looking face with a large set of sharp teeth which are currently set in a wide grin. "I am Dardan. What may I ask are you called, and more importantly what is going oin around here?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-28, 12:02 PM
It is finally good to be able to see this creature in full.
You can call me Sindri, and as for what is going on around here...I am not sure. I saw smoke from the road and I came to investigate. I came upon this town in the same way that you see it now. If I were to guess the cause.. Stiekel pauses, thinking for a moment, looking down on the ground briefly ..it would be that Bringers of Destruction or whatever they are called had their way in this town for their amusement.

Jair Barik
2009-12-28, 12:50 PM
The creature shakes its head.
"No... I believe something else. The attack sights we visited previously all had concealed tunnels running beneath them. This one does too... Tell me, is it normal for settlements to have such a foolish system running beneath them or is this something else?"

Emperor Ing
2009-12-29, 07:01 AM
Stiekel lights up. Tunnels? Oh my this is certainly something else. I have seen this before, a Bringers of Destruction army definitely struck here. I have seen them use gigantic burrowing monsters as both shock troops and as a means to get their soldiers in. If you do not believe me, ask any of the survivors from the recent battle for Fort Dust Hollow.

Jair Barik
2009-12-30, 05:15 AM
There is some murmering amongst the group.

The creature casts a curious eye over you. "Dusthollow eh? Interesting.... Tell me, which way are you going to be heading now? I myself think I shall be heading south but I am curious as to your answer nonetheless."

Emperor Ing
2009-12-30, 07:18 AM
I was hoping I could purchase supplies from you, then make my way towards the capital city.

Jair Barik
2009-12-31, 05:23 AM
The creature looks you up and down and then back at the road.

"In truth I was hoping for much the same in my visit here... We may be able to spare some supplies if my two big friends here are willing to eat something else..."

You notice his eyes begin to glance over at the bodies.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-31, 07:57 AM
Stiekel doesn't say anything, but anyone with eyes can tell she is doing very poorly at concealing her disgust.

Jair Barik
2009-12-31, 12:59 PM
The creature smiles again.
"Everyone does what they must out here to survive my naive little friend. You would do well to learn that sooner rather than later. Me and my men will be heading back to the caravan now. A pleasure meeting you, should you cross my path again I hopeit is in.... more agreable circumstances..."