PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS 4e] Banestorm fantasy game (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-10, 09:58 AM
The OOC thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130949)
The recruitment thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123842)

---

Location: somewhere in Fordham, 1 November 2005 (present day)

@Cedric

The wagon proceeds along a track as it passes through some woods. You are sitting in front, next to Gillian as he drives. "We're nearly there," he says to you. "No doubt Tring has fallen asleep again. You'd better - wait, who's that woman there? Some old hag, probably."

You see the woman Gillian is referring to up ahead, where the track splits.

@Ementha

You are in a small wood, standing at a fork in the track, when you spot a wagon approaching behind you. The two in front are talking, but nothing you can make out. As the wagon gets nearer, the driver calls out. "Good day to you, er," he blinks. "Young miss."

Devereux
2009-11-10, 06:06 PM
@Gillian
(elbows Gill in the ribs)whispers:GILL! Be nice.

(to Ementha, beckoning)
Miss? I see you're a bit stuck at a not-so Proverbial Fork in the Road. Are you lost?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-10, 07:34 PM
Gillian looks slightly embarrassed as he waits to see if the woman will answer.

dariathalon
2009-11-10, 07:57 PM
Ementha stands at the fork with one hand in her frizzy black hair looking back and forth between the two paths. She is a young woman, probably not even beyond her teens, and is short and very thin. She wears a simple black ankle length skirt and a white shirt with a leather jacket over top. In one hand she carries a walking stick, and on her back is a small backpack.

Ementha turns around, hearing your hails. As she turns, her angular features become visible as well as a variety of cheap dangly jewelry. She squints at the wagon (even though it is relatively close). "Oh, hello," she says taking a few steps closer to the wagon. "Not lost really. You seem to have found me, anyway. I'm just not sure which way I want to go. I'm looking for a wizard's tower that I believe is somewhere around here. You don't happen to know which way that is, do you?"

Devereux
2009-11-11, 06:29 AM
Cedric looks thoughtful for a moment; then, his eyes brighten and smile a bit at the corners. His eyes meet with Gill's' briefly; but before Gill can say anything, he quickly turns back to Ementha.

“In fact, Gill here is taking us to a wizard in Fordham! Perhaps that’s the wizard’s tower you seek?”

Cedric looks excited as he turns and starts rummaging through items behind him. After a moment, he retrieves a stringed instrument and clutches it against him briefly before plucking at a string or two.

"I hope so, I would fancy a new traveling companion. Perhaps you have a song or a story you can share with us... perhaps why you're going to see a wizard?"

Cedric turns quickly to Gill, "Gill please let her come with us. I’m sure she won’t take up much room, look how tiny she is.”

Cedric hardly waits for Gill to answer him before turning back to Ementha.

“What’s your name miss? I’m Cedric and this is my friend and boss and world-famous merchant, Gillian the Bronze. A bit tarnished but still shiny where it counts.” he says, winking dramatically.

dariathalon
2009-11-11, 08:01 AM
Ementha smiles at the people on the wagon and begins ambling closer. She has an awkward gait. "Well, sure enough, I bet it could be. As for why I'm going to see him, I don't rightly know."

Her hand returns to her flyaway hair and begins futilely attempting to straighten it. "I guess it has to do with those rabbits I saw this morning. You see I read and follow the omens, and the way they were hopping and dancing around led me to think the best place for me to be today was at a mage's tower up this direction. Unfortunately the omens aren't always as forthcoming with the why as with the what." She gestures vaguely back toward the fork with her staff.

"So not much of a story, I'm afraid. Though, if you're willing to give me a lift to this wizard's tower, I suppose I could read the omens for either of you, if you'd like. Many people find that enjoyable." She looks up at the two, waiting for an answer.

Devereux
2009-11-11, 01:44 PM
Cedric’s eyes sparkle.
“An honest to goodness reader of omens! This is better than I could have hoped for!”

He turns and calls towards the back of the wagon. His voice is probably louder than necessary for waking up a sleeping person. It is probably louder than necessary for waking many sleeping persons; even if, say, those persons happened to reside several towns away.
“TRIIIINNNGGG! Wake up! We’re gonna get to have our omens read!”

Cedric then turns to Gill, face expectant and hopeful. Then, he begins strumming the lute; it looks rather toy-like against his bulky body. Large fingers appear to mangle the strings. The lute bravely shudders and hums. Despite threatening to break under the apparent strain, the lute happily eeks out a short, merry, and surprisingly lovely tune.
Musical Instrument (Lute) (3d6)[5]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-11, 05:27 PM
"Huh?! Stop shouting Cedric," complains a gravelly voice from behind the wagon cover. "Heck man, it's almost as bad as your constant l-"

The voice stops as Cedric starts playing. When the tune finishes, a man's head emerges into view. "Hey, that's pretty good," he says with a slightly surprised expression. "Not the noise you usually make."

The weathered face looks around and notices Ementha for the first time. "Oh, hello miss. I'm Tring. You're a fortune-teller, are you?" By the way he asked the question, Tring doesn't seem all that impressed by the idea.

dariathalon
2009-11-11, 07:32 PM
Ementha smiles broadly at Cedric's excitement, and it doesn't diminish much even with Tring's less than enthusiastic response.

"That I be. That I be. So, can I assume we have a deal then? A few readings of the future in exchange for a ride to this mage's tower? I'm Ementha, by the way." She offers her hand to Cedric, whether to be shaken or helped up into the wagon, it is unclear. "So, who wants to be first?" she asks as if the answer weren't obvious.

Devereux
2009-11-11, 08:19 PM
Cedric takes Ementha’s hand gently into his.

”A pleasure miss. However I’m just a cook and guard. The only thing I get to decide on Gill’s wagon is what does or does not compose the stew that makes its way into Gill’s soup bowl,” he says, clearing his throat meaningfully.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-12, 05:54 AM
Gillian turns to Ementha. "Best to get in the back, if you're coming. Can you do your thing on the move? Tring, give her a hand. We really must be getting on."

Tring silently gets out to help Ementha up, before walking round to swap places with Cedric in the front.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-12, 06:15 AM
@Franciszek

Walking through a small wood, you come to a junction in the path. If the information that local farmer gave you was correct, you should turn left here rather than continue on ahead. In front beyond the junction you can see a covered wagon facing your direction. It is stopped in the road. A couple of men sitting in front appear to be in conversation with a woman standing next to the vehicle. As you watch, a third man appears, presumably from the back.

Morty
2009-11-13, 09:55 AM
Franciszek

Franciszek stops and watches the situation for a while, before advancing towards the wagon.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-13, 12:34 PM
@Cedric and Ementha

"Right, then." Gillian says. "Let's g-"

"Uh, Gill," interrupts Tring. He gestures at the man approaching.

"Not another one," mutters Gillian. "I wonder what this man wants."

"Whatever it is, he's armed." Tring observes. "He's got a crossbow as well as his staff." He waves at the approaching stranger as he hisses between his teeth, "Cedric! Be ready!"

Devereux
2009-11-13, 02:50 PM
Cedric climbs into the back of the wagon and begins helping Ementha up.

"Cedric," hisses Tring between his teeth, "Be Ready!"

Hearing the urgency in Tring's voice, Cedric quickly puts down his lute, picks up his buckler, and ensures his sword is at the ready; he does not unsheath it at this time. Then peering out of the wagon cover, he observes a man with a staff advancing towards the wagon with apparent purpose. A little surprised, Cedric quickly places himself between the stranger and the wagon, alongside Tring and in front of Gillian.

Cedric whispers to Tring, "Something tells me that this time the dancing bunnies didn't tell him to meet us here."

He stands up to his full height, pulls in belly as best he can, and attempts to puff up slightly. He calls out in a neutral but loud voice to the advancing stranger, "Hello there, friend. May we help you with something?"

dariathalon
2009-11-13, 05:29 PM
Ementha accepts the assistance getting up into the back of the wagon. Even with the help, it is still a rather indelicate procedure for her. As the others get out and ready their arms, Em peeks out. "Oh for goodness sakes. It's just one man with a stick and an unloaded crossbow. You'd think he was a horde of charging barbarians with the way you all are reacting," she mutters.

Can I get a little more description of the wagon please? Is it open or closed top? If closed, hard (wood ceiling) or soft (cloth) topped, and where are the exits? Also, now that Ementha's in the back, what's back here with her? She's not going to go digging right now, so if its just closed containers that fine.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-13, 05:43 PM
The wagon is about 5 yards long and 3 yards wide, pulled by two horses. It is indeed covered. The covering is made of cloth over a wooden frame. The ceiling is high enough to sit fairly comfortably in the back, but not stand up straight. There are some packs and things that are probably sleeping and camping gear in the back with Ementha, but most of the space is filled with wooden boxes.

Devereux
2009-11-16, 10:34 AM
Cedric catches Ementha's comment and ponders a moment.

Then, he makes an effort to visibly relax and appear a bit friendlier. He elbows Tring lightly, "She's right you know. We've faced worse, and I doubt a bandit would be quite so obvious. Besides, if we were that worried about every individual we encounter, then I probably should not have left our newest friend unsupervised in the back of the wagon with all of Gill's latest goods."

Cedric considers the situation a little more before adding, "Besides, Gill is looking a little antsy. Let’s finish getting ready so that we can be on our way once we find out what our traveler has to say for himself."

dariathalon
2009-11-16, 05:40 PM
Ementha removes her pack, setting it on the floor of the wagon at her feet. She then sits down on one of the wooden crates nearest the wagon's opening, to watch what is going on outside.

Morty
2009-11-18, 10:51 AM
Franciszek approaches the wagon, raising his hand in a friendly gesture.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 11:42 AM
"He's waving," mumbles Gillian. "But he doesn't answer. Is he mute?"

"Perhaps he's deaf." Tring mutters in reply. Standing side-by-side with Cedric, the guard captain puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, just in case. Then in his loudest, gravelly voice he booms at the stranger:
"Hello, friend! What is your purpose?"

Devereux
2009-11-18, 01:31 PM
Cedric warms a little to the stranger's friendly gesture.

Taking in the man's overall appearance, looks him up and down, and ponders the man's gait and posture, all in an attempt to evaluate the man's intentions.
OOC:Body Language Roll[roll0]

Morty
2009-11-18, 03:15 PM
I'm headed for the White Tower in Fordham! Franciszek shouts back, nearing the wagon.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-18, 03:33 PM
@Cedric
Sorry for the delay. That was a failed roll, so you wouldn't have been able to read much. However, I guess it doesn't matter now that the stranger has responded :smallwink:

Devereux
2009-11-18, 10:21 PM
“That happens to be where we’re headed! I don’t suppose the omens told you to meet us here, did they?” Cedric looks hopefully at the stranger for a moment.

“I’m Cedric, and this is my captain, Tring, and my boss Gillian. Maybe you could work a deal with Gill here and save your feet a little wear and tear.”

Cedric glances back towards the cart, anxious to have his fortune read.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-19, 12:12 PM
"Hmmm," says Gillian, turning to the newest arrival. "Seems that everyone is heading to the tower today, stranger. Though I didn't know at first, when you walked towards us. You should have turned left, when you came to the junction there." He points. "Not this way. Well, it's the right-hand path from this direction, but you see what I mean." Gillian pauses hopefully. "Well anyway, that's where we're going. Eventually."

"Say, friend." Tring looks the stranger over carefully before continuing. "We're taking a wagon there, as you can see. What's your business at the tower?"

Morty
2009-11-19, 01:36 PM
No omens brought me here. Franciszek raises an eyebrow, and then replies to the other question. I'm coming there because of a notice I've seen.

Devereux
2009-11-20, 08:34 AM
Cedric returns his attention to the stranger.

"Well, don't leave us in suspense... What sort of notice?" he prompts, fidgeting slightly from foot to foot. "Is he hiring? Oh! Or perhaps he's holding a wizard's tournament!", Cedric asks hopefully.

Cedric quiets, and looks expectant.

Morty
2009-11-20, 12:51 PM
No idea. Franciszek shrugs. But he's looking for wizards, so I'm heading there.

Devereux
2009-11-20, 02:54 PM
With a brief smile, Cedric says, "Through use of my keen mental powers, I have concluded that you must then be a wizard."

Cedric looks pensive, and then appears to arrive at a decision.
"Clearly you are a man of few words. Perhaps a drink will change that. But in the meanwhile, you know our names, but we don't know yours. Perhaps after you properly introduce yourself, you can come to an agreement with Gillian and Tring here to save yourself a bit of time on the wagon. And then maybe later, you can share a drink with us and tell us a little more about your journey and plans."

Cedric starts to turn to get onto the wagon but catches himself, remembering to await Tring's permission before he lets down his guard and leaves his side.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-20, 04:38 PM
Gillian the Bronze looks up at the sky nervously. Perhaps he is judging the weather or estimating the hour of day. Whatever it is, he merely fidgets silently.

"Well, friend?" Tring says in his gravelly voice. "Cedric here may talk an awful lot, but he does occasionally speak sense," he smiles. "You know who we are, but we don't know you..."

dariathalon
2009-11-20, 08:43 PM
Ementha sits peeking out of the wagon. Listening to what is transpiring outside, but not commenting until the issue of the strangers name comes up. "Seems to me that it'll be something of a mouthful, if he's this reluctant to give it," she muses quietly as much to herself as to anyone else still sitting on the wagon.

Morty
2009-11-21, 01:39 PM
I'm Franciszek Twardowski. And I'll be glad to accompany you if you too are heading for the tower. Thanks for the invitation.

Devereux
2009-11-21, 11:09 PM
"It's nice to make your acquaintance, Franciszek."

"Perhaps later we can exchange a bit of 'magic' if you will. You can show some of the real stuff, and I'll show you a few tricks I've learned myself over the years. I know quite a few good ones really. There's this one where I turn a gold coin into a handful of flowers, or a hunk of bread, or just disappear out of my hand. Of course, I'll have to ask the audience to supply the gold coin." He adds, with a wink.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-22, 08:19 AM
"That's an unusual name," says Gillian. "You're not a Caithnesser, Franciszek. From your accent I'd guess you were Megalan."

Tring speaks. "Well Fra-, Fran-," he pauses. "Frank-"

"Franciszek." Gillian corrects quietly.

"Well." Tring looks at his boss but says nothing. "Well, Friend," he turns back to Franciszek. "You'd better get in the back if you're coming. Gillian the Bronze is anxious to get moving again."

Morty
2009-11-22, 10:01 AM
Franciszek sighs. His name always provoked such reactions. He gets into the wagon and responds to Cedric: I'll be happy to compare notes about magic. Those parts are notoriously lacking in mages.

Devereux
2009-11-22, 01:54 PM
Cedric eyes go wide with interest.

“Megalos?! I’ve met a few travelers who have been there before but never had the opportunity to actually have a convseration with anyone born and raised there. “

He looks towards Ementha and appears conflicted, but before long it is clear that Cedric’s fascination with having his fortune read is temporarily displaced by meeting the newcomer from an exotic land. He looses a bit of his earlier composure.

“I’ve heard so much and have so many questions. I hear there are quite a few goblins there and that sometimes humans even have goblin names, Franciszek doesn’t sound very goblin-like though does it, do you know any goblins, I think goblins are so fascinating, I mean the race as a whole really has reacted and adjusted in so many different ways to the human influx here don’t you think, where exactly are you from, I’d like to visit some day, where would you recommend I go when I finally get there, I hear everything looks so different there…”

Cedric continues to prattle without pause for breath as they clamber into the back of the wagon together.

Morty
2009-11-23, 04:42 PM
Franciszek would perhaps answer, but as one question comes after another, he simply climbs onto the wagon.

dariathalon
2009-11-23, 06:07 PM
Seeing that Fr... Fran... Frankie, she resolved to call him, wasn't being too forthcoming with answers Ementha decided to answer for him. "Oh, Megalos ain't so different really. Different names, but people are mostly the same wherever you go. Goblins are pretty much the same too, a little quicker and a little greener is all."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-24, 10:25 AM
"True enough miss," agrees Gillian. "The few goblins I've met seemed decent enough. But I've heard tell of bad-uns that weren't Christians. And of course, not all are as broad-minded as you or Cedric; there's some in these parts as don't like Megalans much at all, whatever their colour."

Devereux
2009-11-24, 10:27 AM
Cedric’s eyes appear to come back into focus.

"Thank you Ementha, and Fr... Fraanc...Franciszek?" He repeats, attempting to commit the name to memory.

"Thank you for humoring this man's small obsession with other cultures. I don't understand why everybody doesn't find distant lands and peoples as fascinating as I do. I'm sure they would, if they gave it an opportunity." He pauses breifly. " I'm sure I'll have more questions during our trip together, but I'll try not to spout them out all at once next time."

He turns to face Ementha, "Don't think you'll get away without telling me my fortune! We will have plenty of time for that."

Then, he overtly winks at Franciszek, as one tradesman to another might. "Ementha, what's this behind your ear?" he says, and feinging a surprised look, he peers at her right ear, and then reaches towards it.
Sleight-of-Hand (9)
[roll0]
Cedric then produces a small coin from behind Ementha's ear, which he had obviously attempted to hide in his palm just seconds before, clearly seen by all present. Nonetheless, he seems pleased with himself and looks at his audience expectantly.

"Well Franciszek, I'm afraid that's about all the magic I know. I'd still be happy to learn more about yours sometime but I'm afraid I only have knack for parlor tricks."

dariathalon
2009-11-24, 06:33 PM
Ementha does her best to feint surprise at Cedric's trick. She then gives him a warm smile. She reaches behind her ear, and digs around in her hair for a moment. "Darn, I was hoping maybe I could find more back there," she says.

She says a few soft words, centering herself and after a quick gesture points at the coin that laid in Cedric's hand. She appears to concentrate for a moment, then shrugs her shoulders. "Oh well," she says with a quiet sigh.

(Attempting two rolls, Acting and Apportation. Acting is defaulted to IQ-5 (8)but gets +1 for each point that Em is more intelligent than Cedric. So total there should be skill 10, as far as I can tell. Also, she is casting Apportation, skill 13 (-5 for low mana) skill 8.)

3d6
3d6

Devereux
2009-11-24, 11:42 PM
Cedric laughs at Ementha's joke, looks sheepish, smiles, and says, "Ah well, it was worth a shot. I've been working on that for years, and even Gill's horses still see right through it."

He watches Ementha's quiet chanting seriously and is a little sad when nothing happens. He briefly puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder before sitting and making himself a little more comfortable.

"Now, young miss, on to the real show. I'm really looking forward to it."

dariathalon
2009-11-25, 01:58 AM
"Ah, yes, we can begin." She rubs her hands together and the many bracelets she wears jingle and jangle against each other.

Her eyes cast about from side to side before finally meeting Cedric's. "You," she accentuates the word by jabbing a finger in his direction, "are a man of contradictions. You love the road and the excitement of travel, yet a measure of your soul wishes to know a home. Perhaps settle down somewhere someday. Still that will be a distance in the future, I believe. For the time being you are happy to continue to explore the world."

She points a finger dramatically out of the wagon, where a bird is flying past. "That bird represents your free spirit, soaring in the sky, but still eventually looking for a nest." Just then, the bird did a quick wingover maneuver, and appeared to be doing aerial acrobatics in midflight, probably in chase of a flying insect. "Ah, but see now how it's path changes. Yours will soon do the same." She closes her eyes for a moment as if deep in thought before continuing. "Yes, I think things will definitely become more interesting for us in the near future. Both more interesting and more difficult. Your life may even come into danger. Oh, but see how more birds are now being flushed out of the bush, there will be others to help you through the difficulties. Either way, I foresee you enjoying your travels despite the trouble you may face. You will rise to the challenge and soar, just as the bird."

Fortune-telling (Skill 15)
[roll0]

Edit: Wouldn't you just know it. I don't think the dice like me today.

Devereux
2009-11-25, 09:40 AM
Cedric sits and stares at Ementha for a moment quietly, looking a little awestruck.

"Thank you," he says seriously. "It's as if you can see straight into my life, and can read these past years as if you were watching them unfold in front of your eyes. I wonder who these little birds in the bush are. I wonder if they are the two of you. I hope so. Maybe it all has to do with the wizards' tower."

Cedric then stares out the back of the wagon, and looks lost in thought.

Morty
2009-11-25, 12:38 PM
Franciszek settles himself in the wagon, restraining himself from rolling his eyes. He never really believed in fortune-telling. It certainly wasn't proper magic.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 06:32 PM
Some time later...

"We're almost there," says Cedric. "Not long now."

Not long afterwards, a bend in the track brings the wagon out of the shadow of a nearby hill. In the distance, beyond the next low rise can be seen the pointed red roof of a tower. As the wagon trundles towards the stone building, it can be seen that it is indeed white, as some have described. However, the paint looks to be missing in places, revealing the stonework underneath. When you get nearer, it can be seen that the tower is four or five stories tall, and encircled by a wooden wall about 6 feet in height. There is an open gate in the wall ahead; the track the wagon follows is heading directly to this gate. Inside the wall the rooves of smaller buildings can be seen.

As you approach the gate, you can see a pedestrian following the wall and also, it would seem, heading for the same gate. This person appears to be a young man, who is walking with a staff.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-25, 06:33 PM
@Eniarch

As you circumnavigate the wooden wall, you spot a wagon coming along a track leading towards the very opening you seek.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 01:54 AM
Eniarch trudges along the exterior of the palisade, a look of grim determination on his face. He is a young man, perhaps 20 years of age and of moderate height, but his face and hands seem more than a little thin. He wears a slightly worn brown cloak draped over a dark green vest, white shirt and brown pants. His brown hair hangs long, as though it's been a while since it's known the attentions of a barber, and his simple leather shoes carry their fair share of dust.

First the bees... His lips tighten momentarily as the sound of the approaching wagon becomes audible. ...and now, people. Eniarch casts a quick glance in the direction of the wagon and its occupants, and then looks back to the gate ahead as he trudges onward. I suppose I should have expected it would not be as simple as merely meeting the wizard.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 08:26 AM
@Eniarch

"Hello there, stranger," the wagon driver calls out, seemingly to you. "Judging by your appearance young man, I'd say you are a spell-caster travelled many miles to see the wizard.

"Am I right?" He asks with a smile as the wagon draws up next to you. His companion sitting next him,a guard by the looks of him, stays silent. He's probably asleep.

The wagon is pulled by two horses. The area behind the driver and his companion is covered by a cloth roof which obscures whatever (or whomever) may be in the back.

Devereux
2009-11-26, 10:46 AM
Still a little lost in thought, Cedric heard Gillian call out to someone outside of the wagon.

Cedric casts Ementha and Franciszek quick glances, then thinks to himself, "Another little bird, perhaps..."

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 11:06 AM
There's a noticable pause after the question, before Eniarch realizes the driver has, indeed, stopped to chat with him. Of course. Eniarch looks at the ground, the wagon, seemingly anywhere but at the man speaking to him directly. "I would not be inclined to contradict your assumptions. I found..." Eniarch reaches inside his cloak and a thin hand emerges with a rolled piece of parchment. "...this some days ago, and decided to make an inquiry of my own." Cradling his staff in the crook of one arm, he unfurls the rolled notice so the driver can read it.

-------------------------------------------------
MAGES WANTED

Have you powerful magical talent?

If so, enquire at the White Tower in Fordham.

By order of Lord Berd.
-------------------------------------------------

"From your question and the color of the tower, my directions at the last village were accurate, and I have apparently come to the right place." Eniarch swiftly rolls the notice back up, and replaces it inside the cloak. Now, to redirect him towards something other than why I am here. Taking his staff once more in hand, he motions towards the wagon with it. "Judging by your appearance, sir, you are bringing goods of some sort to the tower. Am I right?"

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 11:31 AM
"You have found the right place," answers the driver. "Although I've not seen a notice like that before. Lord Berd, eh? That's interesting. And you another Megalan by the sounds of it. Hmm...

"Oh, yes. I do bring goods young man, in answer to your question. But not only goods, though I didn't know it would be so this morning. Sadly, I have not the prescience that my question might have implied - my guess as to your nature was merely down to prior experience. You see, under that cover I have two more of your kind. Peers of yours, perhaps.

"I would wager that you haven't collected all of those notices, eh?" He adds with a smile.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 11:56 AM
At the mention of being Megalan, Eniarch draws himself up a bit. Another Caithnesser to disdain me for my origins, then? Shaking his head slightly, he continues with the obvious. "Spellcaster though I be, collecting every notice of this sort would require a mage far more adept than I, and although you've entered the business of collecting mages unexpectedly, it would seem none of them were up to the task either." He pats the rolled notice inside the cloak. With his free hand, he motions towards the tower and surrounding buildings and palisade. "As you so rightly note, I am newly come to the area. Anything in particular I should know about this tower?"

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 12:27 PM
"Not really sure what I can tell you," he smiles in response. "I don't usually deal with the wizard directly. In fact I'm surprised there's no-one at the gate to meet us. Tring wake up," he nudges his companion. "Has everyone in the back fallen asleep as well?

"Might as well go in," he says, turning back to Eniarch. He then makes a noise for the benefit of the horses, and drives the wagon through the open gate.

"Hello? We're here!" He shouts, almost as much for the benefit of those in the back as for the tower staff. "It's Gillian! Anyone there?"

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 04:36 PM
Usually someone at the gate, but not today? Odd, but at least it's one less person to deal with. Eniarch slips through the open gate and into the palisade, pulling his hood up as he follows the wagon into the compound. Maybe there is a silver lining here after all...

Devereux
2009-11-26, 04:42 PM
Cedric sits up and stretches and twists a little, attempting to loosen his stiff body. "Each year it gets a little more difficult," he mutters.

He hunts around for his sword and buckler for a moment, then peers around at him companions and then out the back. Seeing a hooded pedestrian trailing behind, he waves in a friendly fashion.

Hello, little bird, he thinks to himself.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 05:36 PM
@Ementha

Shortly after the wagon moves through the gateway and into the yard, Ementha perceives a change in ambient magical energy that indicates a higher local mana level here (Caithness is mostly Low Mana).

@Franciszek

Shortly after the wagon moves through the gateway and into the yard, Franciszek perceives a change in ambient magical energy that indicates a higher local mana level here (Caithness is mostly Low Mana). Specifically, Franciszek is able to sense that the energy level is Normal Mana, like home (most of Megalos is Normal Mana).

NamelessArchon
2009-11-26, 05:38 PM
The hooded man makes a sort of salute, inclining the tip of his staff toward his forehead as though to touch it, but he makes no verbal reply. His green eyes are roaming over the interior of the compound, taking in what details as he can make out.

dariathalon
2009-11-26, 07:13 PM
Ementha's head perks up slightly as they enter the gates. "Hm," she mutters quietly. She unfolds her legs and begins plucking up her belongings, which she had set down next to her in the wagon. "Well, I guess we're here," she says while moving toward the exit to the wagon. As soon as it comes to a halt inside the gates, she hops out. "Thank you much for the ride. Now, to figure out what I'm doing here..."

She takes a moment to survey the area around her.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 07:55 PM
@Eniarch and Ementha

The area inside the wooden wall is a circular space approx 200 yards in diameter. The tower is in the centre of the yard. The stone building is five storeys tall and roughly 25 yards square. There are three smaller wooden buildings in the yard.

You spot a man in leather picking himself up off the floor by the gate, where he seems to have been resting against one of the open doors. He bends down to pick up a spear and puts a helm on his head.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-26, 07:56 PM
"Tring, Cedric," says Gillian. "Help me unload the boxes."

Devereux
2009-11-26, 08:25 PM
Last call for alcohol, in a manner of speaking... thinks Cedric, wistfully.

"As much as I'd wanted to savor my last employed moments of a glamorous country-wide tour seeing the sights, somehow I knew it would end with unloading boxes," he says to Tring companionably. "How much longer will you and Gill be traveling about after this route is completed? What's next? Maybe Gill will give me a lift back home when we're done here, hope he doesn't charge much," he adds with a chuckle.

Cedric looks at the traveling mages briefly, gives a short wave to their turned backs; and as he begins to unload the merchandise, he starts humming a popular tavern song to himself.

Morty
2009-11-27, 05:42 PM
Franciszek leaves the wagon, the higher mana level already improving his mood a little bit. Travelling through those low-magic areas was tedious.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-27, 06:46 PM
"Hello there," says a man walking out from the tower. He looks to be in his mid twenties and is cleanly dressed. "Gillian yes," he says as the merchant puts down the last box and comes to meet him. "Everything in order?"

"Yes John," Gillian nods. "It's all there."

Another person, clad in leather armour and helm, runs over from the gate. He puts down his spear and silently picks up one of the boxes. He hurriedly carries it off to the tower while seeming to avoid the glare in John's face. Tring takes the next box and follows the other man.

John hands a small bag or pouch to Gillian, which is accepted without being checked. "And who are these others?" John turns to look at everyone else. "You're clearly not all employees of the merchant. Who are you?"

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-27, 06:53 PM
@Rann

Riding up to the tower, you see that the gate in the wooden wall is open. As you approach, you can spot a wagon and about half a dozen people. Some of the people seem to be loading or unloading boxes while the rest are perhaps in conversation.

dariathalon
2009-11-27, 10:14 PM
Ementha marches straight up to the man, extending her hand. "I'm Ementha, pleased to meet ya. And from the sounds of things, you are John. And and he's Fr... a wizard here about your posting." She gestures to Franciszek. "Oh, and this is another. I'm sorry I don't think I caught your name," she says, looking at Eniarch. "Anyway, he seems to be here about the posting too. I didn't see any posting, myself, but if you are in need of wizards, I have a little skill that I might be able to offer. That's most likely why I'm here anyway, I would guess."

Morty
2009-11-28, 10:38 AM
Franciszek sighs. It's Franciszek. Franciszek Twardowski. And I am indeed here regarding the posting.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-28, 11:06 AM
John accepts Ementha's hand with slight hesitation. "Yes. Enchanted miss, yes. Miss Ementha." He turns to the others. "Franciszek. About the posting, yes. And you too, yes?" John looks at Eniarch.

NamelessArchon
2009-11-28, 05:52 PM
Eniarch nods at the man asking the question. "I am Eniarch of Arvey." He reaches into the travelworn cloak again, producing the rolled notice. "I have indeed come to inquire further."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-28, 07:07 PM
"Hmmm. I believe that was intended to stay affixed to the tree, yes?" John holds out his hand to receive the notice. "Very good. Now," the young man pulls a small book and appears to check something in it. "Three mages, yes. Eniarch of Arvey, Franciszek Twardowski and miss Ementha," he says, turning to smile at the young woman. "Who came without seeing any notice. Now that is interesting..."

John watches as Tring, Gillian and the other man carry the last of the boxes into the tower. He then takes in the large man standing there, as if for the first time. "You," he says to Cedric. "Do not look like a wizard. Perhaps you are," he consults his book again. "Rann, yes? Rann of the Clearscales?

"No?" John sees the lack of recognition in Cedric's face. "Pity. Yes, that is a pity. Well then, who are you?"

Devereux
2009-11-28, 11:11 PM
Not a wizard, huh thinks Cedric, momentarily debating confusing matters further by magically pulling another coin from behind the man's ear. Allakazam! he briefly fantasizes the astonishment on the mans face as the coin would seemingly sprout from his ear.

He reconsiders.

He sucks in his belly somewhat self-consciously, attempts to appear more muscular, and says, "My name is Cedric, Brewman of Carrick. I work with, and for, my friends Tring and Gillian, making sure no ill befalls them on the road. And," he adds seriously, "entertaining them with fine music, sleight-of-hand, and delectable food."

He leaves out the part where this is his last job working for Gill.

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-29, 02:18 AM
Riding up to the group tending to their wagon, Rann pulls up to the group and waits for a lull in conversation

"Excuse me - would you know if this is the tower of Blake? I've received a request for my presence"

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-29, 04:09 PM
John listens to what Cedric has to say, but doesn't immediately respond. When he sees a new person ride through the gates, he turns to look at the stranger.

"Yes, this is the White Tower of the Archmage Blake," he answers Rann. "And who might you be?"

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-30, 10:05 AM
Where are my manners... I am Rann of the Clearscales family. And your name sir?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-11-30, 08:36 PM
"Welcome, Rann," smiles the neatly-dressed man. "I am John, yes. We have been hoping you would come. The archmage would like to hire your services.

"We also require talented mages, yes," John looks back at the others. "However, there is a political issue. Lord Berd distrusts Megalans as a rule, which is not without just cause, considering the history of border disputes."

Addressing Eniarch, he says: "Your name and accent make your nationality plain." John then faces Franciszek. "I would guess that you are Megalan as well, yes. Talented wizards are hard to come by, so necessity is to some extent as important as political sensitivities. Nevertheless, I must ask you both if you are patriots, yes?"

NamelessArchon
2009-11-30, 09:58 PM
Eniarch looks slightly uncomfortable to be put on the spot as he shakes his head slightly and breaks eye contact to look at his feet. So, all unspoken, we must trust all of those here assembled not to be agents of the Emperor?

He manages to look even more uncomfortable as that line of thought reaches its conclusion. This sounds like it may be a very treacherous foundation indeed. He sighs softly, and then makes his own question rhetorical by answering anyway, while looking intently at his own feet. "I have no special love for the Emperor, but your question is rather... direct."

...and if we've an agent of Diophrates among us, then the die is now cast.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 09:37 AM
"Forgive me, yes," replies John. "There is no plot here against the Emperor specifically, or against the empire in general. It is merely that sharing a border with Megalos has made this lording the subject of attacks in the past. You must realise that the prior invasion attempts by Megalos have shaped Lord Berd's attitude, not idle prejudice or fancy.

"That was the reason for my asking, yes. I trust you will understand that it is not personal? But if you feel you may have a conflict of loyalties then I would rather know now. Before it is too late, yes?"

John looks at the others, both to hear what Franciszek's reply will be and to see if anyone else will speak.

Morty
2009-12-01, 10:23 AM
As long as you don't make me commit high treason, I won't wave a Megalan flag around. Franciszek shrugs. I don't agree with everything Emperor does.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 11:35 AM
"Good good," John says. "Then I trust that is settled. Necessity means that we cannot exclude potential mages simply due to where they were born. But I had to ask, yes.

"As you three could no doubt tell when you came through the gate, the magical energies here are stronger than most of the country. Caithness is a hard place for spell-casters generally, yes. What magical skills do you possess?" He looks between the three as he awaits the replies.

@Eniarch
Eniarch unfortunately did not notice the change when he entered. If he wanted to specifically detect it, he could cross the threshold and try again.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-01, 12:29 PM
I suppose a direct response diserves direct questions in return... What has Blake summoned us for? May i presume we've all been summoned for the same purpose?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-01, 01:36 PM
"Not exactly, yes," he turns to Rann. "The archmage requires person capable of recovering an artefact for him. You sir have been specifically summoned. Mages however are not that common, so general advertisements were posted. And now we have three to choose from." John then looks back at the spell-casters in anticipation of responses to his previous question.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-01, 04:10 PM
Higher here than otherwise? Interesting. It has been some time since I've cast without a strain. Eniarch raises his head to look at John directly. "My apprenticeship has been spent learning the spells of light and shadow. Opposite sides of the same coin, so to speak."

He stands straight, pride at his accomplishments as a mage's apprentice overcoming his distaste of being in the spotlight. "I can light a room or drown it in darkness, sense my foes in the dark and smite them with the light of the sun itself. My spells can heal wounds, diseases and envenomation. I can drive off men, spirits or the walking dead."

He pauses for a moment, and then continues. "I can open a lock without tools or keys, manipulate objects at a distance, analyze a spell, or deflect missiles in flight. I can appear to be anyone, and when properly prepared, I can disappear from the center of a vacant plaza under the noon sun on a cloudless day while watched by a dozen men."

"I do not fully understand the purpose of your question, I confess. The specific energies I can control are not as important as what I might accomplish with them. They are merely tools, not solutions." Realizing how forthright he sounds, he once again looks down at his feet, embarrassed at having been so outspoken.

Morty
2009-12-01, 04:28 PM
Franciszek straightens up as the meeting starts being professional.
I know a number of spells related to earth and air, as well as a number of basic ones.

dariathalon
2009-12-01, 05:44 PM
Ementha twirls her hair between her fingers as she speaks. "Primarily I know magic capable of healing the body of wounds, but I also know some magics that deal with the mind as well." She blushes slightly, but continues to speak a little faster. "Some spells dealing with light, others with moving things around, and, oh, a handful of different things. I guess one could say that I know a smattering of magics; a little of this, a little of that. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as talented as these other gentlemen are."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-02, 11:06 AM
"Very well," says John. "I will require some proof of your capabilities, yes. Archmage Blake wishes to hire persons to recover an artefact which is believed to be somewhere in the eastern borderlands region. If you can find, identify and return with the object, you will be rewarded with 15 Gold Marks."

I should put a currency guide in the OOC thread for reference, but I'll say here that 15 Gold Marks = $3000 in starting money.

Devereux
2009-12-02, 11:44 AM
Cedric, who has been watching with curiosity up until now, goes somewhat slackjawed at the mention of the reward.

That would go a long way towards buying an inn of my own. Or at least get a lot of exotic brewing ingredients... I wonder if they have to divide up the reward or if it's 15 marks apiece..., he muses to himself

NamelessArchon
2009-12-03, 11:13 AM
15 marks! It would take an age to earn that much for Tessa while running errands for Claudius, and he did say he wanted me to learn as much as possible...

Eniarch glances at the others, and then turns back to John. "You've offered us precious little detail about this artifact you're seeking. Surely you know more than these vaguest of rumors." He gestures once again, indicating the others assembled. "Your information in our hands could easily make the difference between success and failure. Tell us what you know about this artifact that you seek, and you make a successful conclusion for your master's request far more likely."

Morty
2009-12-03, 03:09 PM
Franciszek's eyes gleam at the promise of 15 marks, but Eniarch's suspiciousness affects him.
Indeed. More information would certainly be welcome. Although I can prove my magic skill at once, if you want.
Franciszek raises his hands slightly.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-04, 10:48 AM
John responds to Eniarch's comments. "Yes, a little more is known," he says. "But I would be a bad servant, were I to tell all to every stranger. And with little in the way of assurance of either your capability or your sincerity in handling the task, yes?"

To Franciszek, John says "Indeed, yes. Proof would be good." He looks at everyone. "Please wait here. I will return shortly."

As John walks to the tower, Cedric and Tring come back to the caravan. The man in leather armour also returns, silently retrieves his spear and then walks out the gate.

Devereux
2009-12-04, 11:10 AM
Cedric feels a little crestfallen.

Guess it was too much to hope that they may need any help with all of those powerful magic users and the young lord there.

Then a thought strikes him,

"Say Gill, you know John, don't you? Could you put in a good word with him? Maybe apply some of that charm of yours and help him see that they need an extra well-compensated escort on their trip? Since you'll no longer be able to afford my services, this might be a good answer. I get a job, you won't have to worry about how I make my way in the world after you cut me loose, we both win. Additionally, I wouldn't need to beg a ride home from you," he says, grinning.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-04, 03:16 PM
@Cedric

Gillian steps to one side to speak with Cedric in private. "I don't know John that well really, but if they do need a guard, then I'd be more than happy to recommend you. And I'm certain that Tring would do likewise.

"I'm not so sure he vouch for you as an entertainer, though," he adds with a smile.

"Otherwise, you could always ask in Fordham town. That's only about 10 mile from here. Or I'd be happy to take you back to Carrick if that's what you'd prefer."

Gillian thinks for a moment. "You said 'well-compensated'. How much are they paying?"

---

@everyone else
[OOC: there is a brief opportunity for the three spellcasters and/or Rann to talk amongst yourselves before John returns - should you wish to do so.]

dariathalon
2009-12-05, 08:59 AM
Ementha

Ementha whistles. "Wow, 15 marks. More'n I seen all in one place in a long time. Wonder if they'll just be wanting one of us to get this thingamajiggy or if they want us all to go together. Sounds like they think it'll be pretty tough to get ahold of, so maybe more's the better. Even if they send a group of 5 or so, that'll still split out pretty nicely. Could do a lot with that kind of money. We'll have to wait 'til we meet the boss man and see what he wants I guess."

Devereux
2009-12-05, 09:15 AM
"Otherwise, you could always ask in Fordham town. That's only about 10 mile from here. Or I'd be happy to take you back to Carrick if that's what you'd prefer."

Gillian thinks for a moment. "You said 'well-compensated'. How much are they paying?""He said fif-teen marks!" hisses Cedric, "though, I could not decide if that's altogether or individually. Surely if this artifact hunt were so difficult that he needs a lordling and several wizards, he would pay a better reward than 3 or 4 marks a piece."

Excited, he proceeds to forget about Gillian's offer for a ride.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-05, 10:10 AM
@Cedric

"Did John say where this 'artefact' is located?" asks Gillian. "Or how long the job would take? A lot would depend on that, I'd think."

Devereux
2009-12-05, 10:51 AM
Cedric's enthusiasm and fantasy deflate a bit.

"No... but I'm sure he'll say it soon," he says, hopefully, trying to pluck up his mood.

"Guess I'll leave up the "where" to you. I haven't heard much about Fordham from Auntie, but it's near Deerhall. Might be nice to get away from the old inn a little, that could be a bit disheartening to see if every day. Or maybe we could stop at Deerhall and I could visit for a bit."

He looks hopefully back at the gathering and gives a short wave to nobody in particular.

"Maybe we can wait and see what happens here? Just for a few minutes? Please?"

NamelessArchon
2009-12-05, 11:09 AM
Even split amongst this group, that would be 3 marks a piece, and that's probably more money than I have from everything I've squirreled away while working for Claudius. Eniarch inclines his head at Ementha. "She is right. I can not imagine that this object they're hunting will just be sitting on a shelf in the open, waiting for someone to just walk up and take it. Having a few others along would almost certainly make the acquisition easier." He shakes his head, the hood of his robe swaying slightly as he does so. "While my statements of ability to the majordomo were no idle boast, I must confess that I find using mana in Caithness to be.. less than pleasant. It would be unwise to depend too much on my own ability."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-05, 11:30 AM
@Cedric

"Sure," replies Gillian. "We can wait a short while. I'm a little curious myself."

Morty
2009-12-05, 05:22 PM
Franciszek folds his arms across his chest.
It's indeed a generous offer. Generous enough, in fact, to make me suspicious.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-08, 08:25 AM
"If they expect the recovery to take quite some time, then this reward may be less generous than it first appears. Without more information, we're fumbling in the dark for a handful of coins we do not even have, as yet."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-10, 05:40 AM
The door of the tower opens and John re-emerges carrying a bundle of wood. As he approaches, it can be seen that John's bundle consists of three poles or sticks.

"Thank you for waiting, yes," he says. "I have here three wooden staves for this test. Each staff could be employed well as a walking stick, as a badge of station such as you three carry, or perhaps even as an implement of self defence, yes." John looks at each of the spell-casters as he talks. "Please say nothing until I bid you each to speak. I will place these out in a row between us so that you may all see them clearly."

John bends down and places the first staff on the ground (on the left from your perspective). It is about six feet long and made from a dark wood. The second staff he places a couple of feet away, parallel to the first (and the middle or central of the three). This one is about five or so feet long and is also made of a similar dark wood. The third staff John places about two feet from the second and again parallel to the others (on the right from your perspective). It is about six feet long but made from a paler wood than the first two.

Having placed the staves, John continues. "I would expect the three mages to be able to tell me which of these sticks is different, yes. The 'odd one out', if you will. You may touch the staves, or even cast spells on them if it is necessary. But please do not speak of the answer to me or each other yet. Only say when you are done, and I will then speak with you each in turn, yes."

[OOC to NamelessArchon, Morty and dariathalon: Please roll 3d6 three times in a spoiler. When you have each done so I will continue. Thanks.]

NamelessArchon
2009-12-10, 08:32 AM
Left: [roll0]
Center: [roll1]
Right: [roll2]

Eniarch isn't "done", I'm just getting the sense rolls out of the way. I kinda figure he'll miss one or two and have to use a spell or two to find the odd one out.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-10, 08:40 AM
Eniarch isn't "done", I'm just getting the sense rolls out of the way.

I know. This was exactly my intention - to get the three rolls from each of you, and then proceed. :smallsmile:

dariathalon
2009-12-10, 10:26 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

And to take a slightly different tack on this, would you also give me an IQ roll on John for Empathy?

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-10, 10:46 AM
And to take a slightly different tack on this, would you also give me an IQ roll on John for Empathy?

Certainly! (good call, btw)

I'll give you Ementha's "feeling" along with the other info, once I have Morty's rolls as well. :smallsmile:

Morty
2009-12-10, 10:47 AM
The roll:[roll0]

Morty
2009-12-10, 10:51 AM
Futher rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-10, 11:46 AM
@Eniarch
From where you stand, you can see that the first (left-hand) staff is not magical. The second (middle) one however, is magical. The third (right-hand) staff is not only magical, it's dangerous - you are seeing some bad aura on that thing!

Touching the staves could confirm or deny what you are seeing and might possibly reveal more, but would Eniarch want to risk it? :smallwink:

@Ementha
From where you stand, you can see that the first (left-hand) staff is not magical. The second and third (middle and right-hand) staves however, both have magical auras.

Touching the staves could confirm or deny what you are seeing and might possibly reveal more.

As to John, the "feeling" you get is that he is being largely truthful, if somewhat officious. John seems to be more taken with you than the others, but would appear to be trying to remain 'professional'.

@Franciszek
From where you stand, you can see that the first (left-hand) staff is not magical. The second and third (middle and right-hand) staves however, both have magical auras.

Touching the staves could confirm or deny what you are seeing and might possibly reveal more.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-10, 06:14 PM
Eniarch's brow furrows slightly as he looks at each staff in turn. Over each he makes the gestures of a spell, moving to kneel next to each staff in turn from left to right. He does not touch them as he studies them, only making the gestures of his spell and moving on.

If any of these should fail, Eniarch will recast.

He'll be casting Detect Magic, range C for each cast. I'm curious - the description of Regular spells in Magic (p. 11) notes that you're at a -1 penalty for each yard of distance if you cannot touch the target. If you can touch the target (eg. you are in its hex, or at range C) but are unwilling to do so, is there a penalty for casting in this case?

Detect Magic, Left: [roll0]
Detect Magic, Center: [roll1]
Detect Magic, Right: [roll2]

This will cost 6FP in total, leaving Eniarch with 5, assuming all spellcasts are successful.

Edit: And since the last one is a failure, the total is 5 FP and he'll have to cast again. That right-hand staff isn't just dangerous, it's got it in for me! :smallbiggrin:

dariathalon
2009-12-10, 07:03 PM
Ementha bites her lower lip as the staves are laid out before them. She nods as she looks at each one individually making quiet "ticking" noises with her tongue. Deciding it was best not to leave this up to first impressions, she also takes a moment to cast a spell. Her free hand moves up to her temple where it makes a brief gesture as she speaks a few quiet words of magic.

She then looks at the three staves one at a time again then sweeps the rest of the area to see if there is anything else of interest around.

(Ementha is casting Mage Sight - skill 13)
[roll0]

dariathalon
2009-12-10, 07:06 PM
Ementha moves the staff from one hand to the other, making the same gesture again with her opposite hand and repeating her words once more.

(First spell looks like a failure, so she'll recast.)
[roll0]
1 fatigue for failure + 3 fatigue leaves Ementha down 4 (at 10)

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-10, 09:20 PM
@Eniarch
The first two castings confirm what Eniarch's sight indicated - that the left-hand staff is not magical, but the central one is. The third casting failed [as you already gathered].

---

OOC: It wouldn't have made any difference with those rolls, but yes the -1 would apply IMO. I answered your question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7476539#post7476539) in more detail in the OOC thread, as it's quite an important point. Also that way, any discussion can take place there, rather than here in the IC thread.

@Ementha
The first casting failed [as you already expected]. The second casting of Mage Sight confirms Ementha's initial perception - that the left-hand staff is not magical, but the central and right-hand ones are. Ementha sees nothing else of obvious magical interest during her visual sweep.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-10, 11:54 PM
Eniarch frowns at the third stave for a moment, and then casts his spell once more. Claudius would be giving me seven kinds of glares right about now for failing such an elementary spell.

[roll0]

dariathalon
2009-12-11, 12:46 AM
"I believe I'm ready," she said with a nervous grin. She stood twisting a few strands of hair between her fingers waiting for the others to complete their assessments.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-11, 08:04 AM
@Ementha

"Very well," John smiles. "As Eniarch and Franciszek are still busy, I will hear your answer first, yes." He walks a few yards away so as to be out a immediate earshot of the others and gestures for you to follow.

---

@Eniarch
Your re-casting of Detect Magic confirms that the right-hand staff is indeed magical, but you get no more than that.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-11, 08:34 AM
Eniarch walks around the staves again, kneeling before each and bending nearly to the ground to closely and carefully study their physical characteristics. Very interesting, this test, 'yes'. He manages a slight grin, then straightens and steps away from the staves, the grin vanishing as he realizes that he has reached the end of his task and has to address his findings to another. "Unless you wish me to undertake a far more detailed examination that would likely leave us standing out here for several hours, I have completed my appraisal and I believe that I am ready to give you the answers to your question."

The staff on the right is a lighter color. Are the other two approximately the same color/wood? I recognize that Eniarch's no botanist, but is the grain relatively consistent between the first and second? Are they potentially the same material?

The left and right staves are approximately the same length. How close are they estimated to be in length, without tools? Say, under an inch or so difference, at an eyeball glance?

Morty
2009-12-11, 09:40 AM
Franciszek leans over the staves and weaves a quick spell, then moves his hands over the staves, releasing it.
Analyze Magic: [roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-11, 10:51 AM
@Eniarch

The two darker staves appear very similar in grain and hue. You would guess that they are potentially the same material. For the length comparison, you would say that there can't be more than an inch difference in the outer two.

John will be able to deal with you next, once Ementha has finished speaking with him
---

@Franciszek
While most spells only take a few seconds or maybe a minute, Analyse Magic is a fairly powerful spell that takes an hour to cast and drains 8 FP (and would have to be re-cast if you wanted to analyse more than one object). As a result, you might not want to keep the NPC waiting that long under the circumstances.

Either touching the staves or casting Detect Magic (5 seconds, costs 2 FP) three times would be quicker and less draining.

Morty
2009-12-11, 01:20 PM
Alright then, Franciszek casts Detect Magic: [roll0]

dariathalon
2009-12-11, 05:35 PM
"My, my aren't we official," Ementha says in a friendly jovial way (not at all mocking). She follows John until he feels far enough away.

"So you just wish to know which is the different staff, correct?" If he answers affirmatively, Ementha will continue... "Of course each one is different in it's own ways, but I'd have to say the longer dark wood one is the odd stick out. I bet your boss wants to see if we can see magic auras since he wants to send us after a magic artifact. It is the only one without a magic aura," she says quietly. Then she adds as an afterthought. "Or perhaps it has one, but it is hidden, which again would make it different." She shrugs and smiles.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-11, 05:55 PM
@Franciszek

As you didn't state which staff you were casting the spell on, I will assume the first (left-hand) one.

The spell confirms what your sight tells you, that the left-hand staff is not magical.

(If you also want to check the other staves, you can certainly cast the spell twice more.)
---

@Ementha

John smiles in response to your teasing, and then nods in response to your question.

He listens and then says "Very good, miss Ementha. Your answer is correct. And it seems you are perceptive to more than just what you see with your eyes, yes." He nods. "Indeed, there are more charlatans than sorcerers in Caithness. So the test, although simple it may seem to one of your undoubted skill," he pauses to smile again. "Is a necessary one, yes."

"Thank you miss Ementha, you have passed. And it now seems that Eniarch is finished, so I will speak with him next."

---

@Eniarch

John finishes speaking with Ementha and signals that he is ready to hear your answer.

dariathalon
2009-12-11, 06:20 PM
Ementha smiles broadly. "I'm sure there are," she says. "The area outside these walls is not to hospitable to those with talent in the arts."

She walks back to where the other wizards are standing, tapping Eniarch on the shoulder as she passes. "You're up," she says and jerks her thumb over her shoulder, back toward John. Em then sits down in the grass near the three staves in a rather unlady-like cross-legged fashion. However, her long skirt still covers most of her legs and the parts that it doesn't show only the leather pants she wears underneath. She lets out a contented sigh and leans back on the palms of her hands.

Morty
2009-12-11, 06:54 PM
Franciszek casts the spell twice more to check the other two staves.
[roll0]
[roll1]

NamelessArchon
2009-12-12, 12:39 AM
Eniarch nods at Ementha as she passes and informs him his turn has come, and heads over to meet with John.

"My cursory study of your items suggests that there may be no obviously wrong answer to your question, although I would need tools to verify it more accurately. However, only two of the staves appear to sport an enchantment, which is likely the difference most relevant to your long term concerns. The longer staff with the dark wood appears to be without enchantment of any sort."

And now that I'm thinking about it, it should only have cost 4 FP to cast the four Detect Magic spells. Normal mana level means the spells are at an effective skill of 15, and therefore have a 1pt FP cost reduction, dropping the cost to 1 per cast. Sorry!

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-12, 10:27 AM
@Franciszek
Your second and third castings of Detect Magic certainly seem to agree with what you can see - both the central and right-hand staves are magical.
---

@Eniarch

"Indeed, yes," answers John. "You have passed the test, Eniarch." He looks past you to where Franciszek has finished casting. "I wonder if your countryman is ready now..."

And now that I'm thinking about it, it should only have cost 4 FP to cast the four Detect Magic spells. Normal mana level means the spells are at an effective skill of 15, and therefore have a 1pt FP cost reduction, dropping the cost to 1 per cast. Sorry!

No problem - I missed that too! It's hardly critical in this situation either way, but it's useful to be reminded of it for the future when it could matter more (Morty's PC will also benefit from the same circumstances as well).

Morty
2009-12-12, 12:27 PM
I have concluded without a shade of doubt that this staff - he points at the left one - isn't magical, while the other two are.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-12, 02:25 PM
"Very well," says John. "All three of you have proved that you are real mages, yes. The question remains as to which of you want the task. And this also goes for mister Rann, yes.

"The reward, as I said before, will be 15 Marks, yes. If you are all happy to work together, then more mages may make the task easier. This would mean dividing the money further, of course. As the borderlands are wild territory, you may also want to consider hiring some muscle for protection. I would recommend this, yes. Mercenaries could probably be hired in town at the Armsmen's Guild.

"So, who is sincere in wanting the task?"

dariathalon
2009-12-13, 03:21 PM
Ementha uses her staff to pull herself back up to standing. "The fates sent me here for a reason. I think this task wants me. If others wish to come along as well, I'm more than willing to share the prize."

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-13, 04:03 PM
Rann, who has been sitting by after tying up his horse, ponders for a second

"well - after seeing this little display i'd be happy to see more of these gentlemens talents. And it would be a shame to travel this far only to not take up the task. Lets see what your employer has in store for us"

NamelessArchon
2009-12-13, 05:37 PM
Eniarch's hooded gaze turns to John. "You have asked us questions, and you have tested our ability, and we have complied. However, you still have not told us what this task actually is." He leans on his staff, holding it with both hands. "Perhaps we could begin to discuss those details now that we have proven our interest is sincere?"

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-14, 09:14 AM
@Eniarch
You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is about 100 miles east of here, where the mana level changes. It is a mostly uninhabited region, apparently due to conflicts and the fact that the land is not good for growing crops.

@Rann
You know that the eastern border is between Caithness and Megalos. You have no solid concept of the distance, but as Fordham is one of the easternmost lordings of Caithness, the nearby town is going to be the last sizeable settlement.

@Franciszek
You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is around 100 miles east of here, where the mana level changes. The region seems to be largely uninhabited.

@Ementha
You know that the border between Caithness and Megalos is where the mana level changes. You'd guess that is somewhere due east of here, about 3 or 4 days on foot. Other than the town of Fordham nearby, there probably won't any sizeable settlements between here and there.

@Cedric
You know that the eastern border is between Caithness and Megalos, but you have no real idea how far away that is.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-14, 08:29 PM
"Well," John looks at Eniarch. "I have not heard affirmations of every mage's sincerity, or even much words at all. But I suppose this is the best I hope to receive from foreigners, yes. Nevertheless, there is no need to share unnecessary details with everyone present." He turns and walks over to Gillian the Bronze.

"Gillian," says John. "Thank you for your delivery. You have been paid, so I should not want to keep you any longer."

"Right," replies the merchant. "We were just going. If I may say though, John, I couldn't help overhearing your mentioning to those four that they should hire a mercenary or two." Gillian gives Cedric a nudge, then continues before John can respond. "Cedric here is very good. Worked for me for ages. Very reliable. Just so happens I'm having to let him go. Less road trade. Too dangerous. Because of the civil war. Anyway, Cedric comes highly recommended. Isn't that so, Tring?"

John looks Cedric's large frame up and down as Gillian talks. "Yes?" he asks when the merchant finally pauses for breath.

"Huh?" grunts Tring as he climbs onto the wagon. "Oh, yes. Solid man, Cedric. Talks too much. Even more than the boss. But can definitely look after himself." He nods with a smile.

"That certainly is convenient, yes," says John. "Although, whatever security arrangements Rann and the mages wish to make is up to them. But I do recommend they hire some protection, yes."

Devereux
2009-12-15, 12:33 PM
Cedric looks a little surprised but hardly misses a beat.

"Well certainly, your grace, they should be free to hire whatever additional support they need," he says, graciously, "and I would certainly be up for a little travel and adventure."

Cedric sizes up John carefully.

"If I may, it seems to me that you might be in a bit a spot, and I would hate to take away from the reward that you've offered to split amongst them."

He looks towards everyone else in hopes gaining a little sympathy and support for this last sentiment.

"From my perspective, it seems that once you've evenly split the reward, you're in essence offering each of these fine folks here a few weeks of pay to recompense them their traveling time to get here, trapsing around a wild, dangerous countryside for who knows how long, and then returning home, IF they should live. All to recover a magical artefact. Recover. That means to me, someone took it or it is in some inherently dangerous location. Additionally, you're then recommending that three mages and one well trained lordling hire even more help using that same little bag of money, which I imagine you will not be giving out in advance to help defray the costs."

It is clear that Cedric has had a little practice with haggling.

"Finally, considering you've offered the job to these fine 3 magic practictioners, you must either have rejected prior applicants, or are under a little pressure to get this handled quickly. Perhaps you could sweeten the deal a bit. Perhaps a daily travel allowance. Perhaps a small purse for hiring protection, separate from the reward."

let me know if I need to roll merchant here ;)

Devereux
2009-12-15, 03:51 PM
merchant: [roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-15, 04:18 PM
"Humph!" John looks more cross than impressed by Cedric's spiel. "That other man was right," he says indicating the wagon. "You do talk too much, yes. I am not hiring you; I am hiring them," he indicates the other PCs with a sweeping gesture. "If they wish to hire you, that is their own affair, yes. But you need not presume to speak on their behalf." John turns and walks back to the others.

Even counting Cedric's Charisma bonus into the equation was not enough to swing the balance. It appears you've made things worse, sorry. :smallfrown:

Devereux
2009-12-15, 05:01 PM
Cedric folds his arms defiantly momentarily and mutters inaudibly, talks to much, hmm, I think it was a reasonble argument.

"Wait, your grace!" call Cedric as he catches up to John's retreating
form. "I meant no offense here, I wasn't suggesting an expense account for a paid bed warmer," he says as a jest.

Toning and quieting down his voice a little he adds, "I was merely worried about the welfare and protection of these...er... fine, um, imported goods. Especially the lovely young miss there, of whom I think of as a sister of sorts already."

"I was positive you wouldn't mind seeing the young miss smile a bit more. I can see the smile already forming in my mind, when she returns safely here to you and finds you to be generous with the pursestrings. Perhaps I was wrong?" he adds with a wink, teasingly.

Ok yes this is a blatant attempt to carouse and tease John a bit, at least to smooth things over a little. Let me know if John even lets Cedric get the first sentence out or just gets shut down :smallredface:

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-15, 05:20 PM
"Shut up!" John snaps at Cedric. "Yes. Or go away."

Carousing was the wrong skill to use with someone who's already decided they don't like particularly like your previous attempt at coercion. Especially so when you're not even in an alehouse (or party etc) and plying them with drinks to try and soften them up first.

Please stop digging :smallamused:
Best to let one of the other PCs have a go.

Devereux
2009-12-15, 05:31 PM
Abashed, Cedric stands there open-mouthed.

Then, he briefly and defiantly folds his arms, looking cross.

Then, his spirits return. Nontheless, he deliberately gives John his best arrow-through-the-heart wounded look, and dramatically skulks off towards the wagon to bid Gill and Tring farewell.

Just doing my best at being Cedric. ;) He doesn't understand why what works in the tavern might not work as well in the outside world

NamelessArchon
2009-12-15, 10:34 PM
Oh, that went... poorly. Eniarch coughs nervously, clearing his throat. He takes a deep breath before stepping forward. He'll have to do better - even with good weather, travel would take quite a bit of time.

"Come, come, don't let the man spoil the mood," says Eniarch. He waves a hand at Cedric's departing back as if dismissing him, and walks around the assembled group with his staff in one hand, looking at the others assembled before stopping to John's right, his eyes glancing at each of the applicants in turn. "You have an item you wish located and returned, and you have money to offer for its delivery." He smiles slightly, trying to ease the mood as he comes to the point. "We are interested."

He looks forlorn for a moment, and indicates the other mages and Rann. "However, you ask us to take a great deal on faith after a long journey made at our personal expense. Your task will surely mean some difficult traveling in wilderness country, as it's at least a hundred miles to the border even as the crow flies! Supplies and provisions for the lengthy journey! Mercenary aid you yourself recommend we not travel without - that surely indicates danger to our persons and property!"

He looks down for a moment, clears his throat again, and then continues in a softer tone. "I had always heard that Caithnessers were far more generous to the kine that tread the grain than the grasping, tightfisted power seekers among my own country's nobility." He looks down again, apparently slightly uncomfortable with the notion that this might not be true after all.

Diplomacy! You can make a better offer than that, John! Come on!

[roll0]

dariathalon
2009-12-16, 12:27 AM
As Cedric sulks past her, Ementha whispers to him. "Do not fly far, little bird. I believe your destiny still lies down this path."

She then approaches John and Eniarch. "Do you really think it will be dangerous? Not that I'm afraid, mind you. The roads are dangerous enough nowadays, and I still travel them by myself. But if we're going on a trip dangerous we need to hire guards, oh my! I just hope we can find the protection from mercenaries to come back alive."

I just can't see Ementha asking for more money for this. She's already struggling wealth so this seems like a lot to her. Plus, she isn't really too focused on her own material gains anyway.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-16, 06:12 AM
@Cedric

Gillian and Tring say their farewells and the wagon exits through the gates. Gill is driving at a gentle pace and so it should be easy enough to catch up with the wagon, should you have to.

@Eniarch

John seems slightly soothed by your words, although perhaps not convinced by your argument. "Well, the border is only a few days away, yes. Perhaps a week, if you walked slowly or carried much. Looking at you, master Eniarch, I would say that you like to travel light and could cover the distance in a couple of days if you chose, yes. This would be less than a month's work for you, perhaps much less. Furthermore, your clothes and cloak imply that you do not usually get paid the amount that we are offering, for less than a month's work, yes?"

8 was a decent roll, but the margin of success wasn't enough in this case.

@Ementha

John turns to reply to your question. "I would not like to travel the borderlands alone myself, yes. But perhaps I am being overly cautious," he smiles. "After all, these Megalan mages probably walked across the border themselves."

I totally understand. RPing appropriately generally trumps minor OOC concerns :smallsmile:

NamelessArchon
2009-12-16, 10:56 AM
Eniarch draws himself up somewhat, perhaps offended at the mention of his travelworn clothing and cloak. "I am traveling light, but your assessment of the price I demand is based on your appraisal of my personal material comforts, which are rather less a priority to me than some other matters that require my monetary diligence. The time and services of mages do not generally come so cheaply, or your own master would have settled this matter himself before now."

He purses his lips thoughtfully, tapping a single finger against them as if in thought while looking at the others of the group. "It is unlikely we will see civilization or a place to find supplies in the borderlands, so a destination a week away means two weeks from the nearest settlements of note, carrying everything we need on our own backs. Finding your artifact a second time would be most.. difficult, were we to starve in the wilds after we had already braved its resting place to retrieve it."

He lowers his head and places a free hand on his chest. "While I may personally be acclimated to an existence somewhat bereft of material concerns," he continues, looking up once more, "...certainly it would be inappropriate to force these others through such.. privation. Indeed, it would even be slightly," Eniarch's glance flickers to Ementha for a moment and then back to John with a raised eyebrow, "ungallant to ask they endure such things without some additional measure of allowance for their needs while making the trip."

Pushing our luck with Diplomacy - because starving mages make poor delivery men!

[roll0]

From Eniarch's standpoint, 3 marks a piece is certainly in keeping with his standard of living for a short task, but he'd be remiss if he didn't seek the chance to talk the reward up a bit - Tessa needs the money even if Eniarch is happy with it.

Without an advance of some kind, however, he might be forced to eat the other party members to survive two weeks outside the city. That would be bad. :smallwink:

I'd assumed he'd worked his way to Fordham (at least in part) by tending to the medical needs of folks in holdcrofts and smaller settlements not on the map in exchange for food and a hayloft to bed down - possibly even doing a bit of unskilled labor along the way as well. That's not likely to carry him into wilderness areas where there aren't people, and 'long pig' isn't high on his list of delicacies.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-16, 12:05 PM
"Hmm, well perhaps there is some sense in what you say, yes," considers John. "What do you suggest?"

"Long Pig"! Are you from Oceania? :smallwink:

As for your answer, there's no need to roll Diplomacy again yet, unless Eniarch pushes the boat out too far (what constitutes "too far" I'll leave for you to guess :smalltongue:)

As an aside, the Relative Level for Diplomacy appears wrong on your sheet (with or without the -1 for Shy, it should be IQ-2 or IQ-1 respectively, by my reckoning). The actual Level appears correct, though.

Devereux
2009-12-16, 08:32 PM
Cedric waves a wistful farewell to Gillian and Tring. He clears his throat a bit before it chokes up too much, and then distracts himself a moment by carefully taking in his surroundings.

Then, thinking of Ementha's kind words to him, he starts to slowly make his way back towards the gathering. But he stops abruptly: Cedric thinks better of the situation; and, in hopes that his absence will improve the wizards' general proceedings with John, heinstead decides to wander off in search of the "guard" in the leather and helm who had been helping to unload earlier.

Perhaps a little friendly small talk would help to pass some time, he muses.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-17, 04:45 PM
Well, now that we come to it... Eniarch shifts his weight from foot to foot for a moment, and seems to consider the request before he finally answers. "Fifteen payable upon delivery of your object, and a sufficient advance to defray the costs we will unavoidably incur on the road while we collect your artifact."

Eniarch ticks off fingers as he lists requirements without which no sane city dweller would traipse into uncivilized territory. "Food, water, and the basics of survival required to make a ten day trip into wilderness territory." He smiles slightly. "I can quite easily understand your reluctance to provide additional money for hiring guards with three mages present, so we'll agree to hire any mercenary aid we need out of our own pockets. However, it also seems reasonable that if you wish a trip to be made, you should fund all of its most absolute necessities, and they will not come cheaply for a group this size. I would say..." He falls silent at the end, as though he's mulling the costs in his head before making a concrete offer.

"Call it 18 marks, three in advance for expenses incurred, and we'll go and find your artifact.

To be honest, I'm just ballparking costs because Eniarch wouldn't really have a good sense of them (default merchant skill) and I don't want to push dear John too far. I've also assumed that early November in Caithness is comparatively mild, UP. Blankets and tents for cold-weather camping are more expensive, if there's snow on the way!

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-18, 06:37 AM
"Wait here please," says John, bending down to pick up the three sticks from the ground. "I shall be back shortly." He turns and walks purposefully to the tower.

dariathalon
2009-12-18, 05:52 PM
Ementha twirls in place to face the rest of the group. "Well, sounds like we're probably going to be working together. It'll be fun, I think. We'll probably need to hire another person or two in case we run into trouble. Does anyone know how much mercenaries charge? I can't say I've ever had reason to hire one before." She runs her fingers through her hair as she waits for a response.

Morty
2009-12-19, 09:08 AM
Some muscle to put between us and any trouble that comes our way shouldn't be too expensive to hire. Franciszek dusts his robe absent-mindedly.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-19, 04:28 PM
"I suspect our other negotiator wouldn't mind hiring on for a share of the reward since he's now between employment and without transportation." Eniarch jerks a thumb in Cedric's direction. "Make him a one-time offer, an equal share of salvage, recovery and reward, and we're left with the advance to handle our more immediate needs - food, waterskins, carrying bags, maybe even some bribes, if we can't convince John to be a lot more forthcoming with information about this 'artifact' than he has been so far."

He looks up at the sky and then back to the other mages. "If this place is as close as he's saying, we should be able to scoot out there and back easily enough if the weather holds. The faster we can get there and back, the faster we'll have some real coin in our pockets."

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-19, 08:37 PM
John walks back from the tower and stands before the PCs. "We agree, yes. 3 Gold Marks now and 15 Marks on delivery." Producing a yellow purse, John holds it out to be taken. "Here is your advance, yes," he smiles. "You may keep the purse."

Yellow cloth purse

cost: n/a
weight: neg.
holds 3lbs

The purse contains 3 Gold Marks.

Total weight: neg.

NamelessArchon
2009-12-21, 09:30 AM
Eniarch seems somewhat reluctant as he reaches out and takes the purse, tying it to the simple belt he wears beneath the cloak.

"We've taken a great deal about your offer on blind faith, John, hardly a suitable basis for the negotiation we have concluded. This would be a very good time to start telling us all that we will need to know in order to find and return your artifact, wouldn't you say?" As he finishes speaking, Eniarch raises an eyebrow to emphasize the point.

Unwitting Pawn
2009-12-21, 04:19 PM
"Certainly," responds John. "Though I perhaps do not know as much as you might be thinking, yes. Nevertheless, I was reticent to say such as we do know, until I was certain of your commitment in this matter..."

He looks nervously at everyone before continuing. "The artefact we wish you to recover is an object created by a strange wizard called Dakijek, who lived 300 years ago. He was believed to have created a number of unusual magical items before he disappeared, but these were all since lost, yes.

"We have recently found indications that Dakijek retired to somewhere along the western border of the Empire, in what is now the Caithness borderland. Why he chose that location is not clear, but we believe that he created another artefact during his 'retirement'. Little is known about the nature of this object, but we have reason to hope that it is still there and has lain undiscovered until now, yes. This is what we wish you to recover.

"The borderlands area is still mostly wild and not much populated, yes, on either side. The house of Dakijek should be somewhere between Zarak and the river Conn, we believe. Probably nearer the northern mountains than not, yes."

NamelessArchon
2009-12-21, 07:34 PM
Eniarch's brows draw down disapprovingly as John relates the 'full' nature of their tasks. I did not ask nearly enough, if we are to be sent for a wild goose chase in no certain direction. Finally, John finishes.

"You call the wizard strange and his enchantments unusual. You serve a mage, and you have seen enchanted items. Why were the collection of Dakijek and his items particularly strange and unusual?", begins Eniarch.

Not nearly enough. He continues. "300 years is older than Caithness. That's a very long time for a trail to go cold. What were these 'indications', and how did you come by them?"

dariathalon
2009-12-21, 11:30 PM
Ementha leans on her staff watching and listening very carefully, but she does not say a word yet.

Could you give me Detect Lies check? (Skill 14)

Morty
2009-12-22, 04:06 PM
We'll have to be awfully lucky to find something that has been hidden for 300 years, Franciszek says dryly.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-01, 04:11 PM
John replies to Eniarch's questions first. "Dakijek's artefacts seem to have been strange because they indicated that he did not always suffer traditional restrictions on enchantment. At least, as other mages understand them, yes.

"As to your question of 'indications', these were in the mention of Dakijek in a recently re-discovered text. Cross-referenced with existing written sources in our library."

Then, John turns to Franciszek. "We trust that you will be 'lucky', yes," he says.

---

@Ementha
Your observation of John's behaviour as he speaks, certainly seems to confirm your initial feeling that he is being truthful about what he is saying.

---

@Cedric

Walking out the gates, you look around to find that the 'guard' is nowhere to be seen. At least he is not noticeably 'resting' on the job again, anyway.

dariathalon
2010-01-05, 06:53 PM
Ementha steps forward. "It would take a serious dose of luck for us to find it at this rate. You've given us a vague area, but no description of what the item looks like nor what it does. How are we supposed to identify it? Just rely on our ability to sense magic and bring back anything that seems remotely magic in the area?"

NamelessArchon
2010-01-05, 08:57 PM
Eniarch listens carefully to Ementha's observation about the vagueness of the artifact's location and description, and then interjects. "You have only part of it. I have no map before me, but the expanse he describes is sizable. A 'ten day journey' in that expanse would require a fairly precise destination, indeed."

He casts a glance up the tower's exterior towards the top. "If I were a suspicious man, I might wonder if our employer delights in sending people on wild hunts through the wilderness simply to see who will go." His gaze lingers at the top of the tower for a moment, and then returns to John once more as he continues. "Where might we seek further for more.. accurate 'indications' of Dakijek's home? Perhaps you know where we might find his descendants? Does the local lording maintain tax records dating from the Megalan occupation?"

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-06, 06:54 PM
John replies to Ementha first. "Sadly, we know very little about the object. I am unable to give you a description. Going by the reputation of Dakijek, I expect that when you find it, the artefact should be easily identifiable as different or unusual, to mages with your talents, yes. But no description of the item was recorded," he smiles and leans toward the young woman. "I might be able let you into the master's library, though, if you wanted to check for yourself. Certainly, you could bring back anything you find if you are unsure whether it is what we seek. However, we are not interested in mere magical baubles. Any non-Dakijek items you find in the borderlands, We would expect you to keep for your trouble."

Turning to Eniarch, John looks a little impatient. "Until recently, we were not aware that Dakijek had even lived in that area. The merest rumour amongst the mages guilds of Caithness or Megalos that the enchanter might have done so, would probably encourage a number of spell-casters to go on 'wild hunts' as you put it, yes, on the mere hope of finding something of Dakijek's. You will understand, I trust, why we have been cautious with what information we do have?"

John takes a deep breath before continuing. "As to Megalan records, I doubt that much would have survived since the split, yes. In any case, if Dakijek had paid taxes during that time, he would not have done so under his own name. As I said earlier, he 'vanished' when he decided to retire. Any official record of him after that point would no doubt have sparked some interest by any mage that found such, yes. The fact that we have no known discovery until now, indicates that either his home has never been found. Or that if it was, that it was never identified as belonging to a wizard. In all likelihood, Dakijek chose such a remote and unpopulated location for his home because he did not want to be disturbed, yes."

Morty
2010-01-08, 05:10 PM
Franciszek shrugs. I suppose we'd better get going, then.

dariathalon
2010-01-08, 05:42 PM
Ementha smiles and leans back to John, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not as much for book learning as most wizards are. I can read and everything, but if your master's been over them and didn't find anything, I doubt I would. Maybe one of the others could," she gestures to the gentlemen behind her, "but I'd just be skimming along, hoping to get lucky."

NamelessArchon
2010-01-10, 02:50 PM
At the mention of gaining entrance to the wizard's personal library, Eniarch's head whips around to look at John. "I.. if you are willing to make that offer to our group in general, we would be most appreciative. Even a scrap of information might well aid in bringing your task to a speedy resolution, and it cannot hurt our chances of success to see what we might find."

He places his open hand on his chest. "I know you will surely have some misgivings about allowing this privilege to strangers you have only just met, but I can assure you, my conduct will be nothing short of exemplary."

Assuming John is willing to go for that, Eniarch will happily spend a bit of time in the library trying to find anything at all that will narrow down Dakijek's residence or more about the items and artifacts Dakijek was known for - Research skill of 13, Thaumatology of 14, Alchemy 12 and Search 10 might all be relevant in finding information about Dakijek in the library, depending on the circumstances and the type of information involved.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-10, 07:54 PM
John blushes at Ementha's hand on his shoulder. "Yes, well, if you are sure, miss. Though I am certain that you are just being modest," he smiles.

At Eniarch's word's, John stiffens his posture. "Humph! Well I suppose if you conduct yourself with the same politeness inside, yes. You had best be as quick as you can, though. We don't want to inconvenience the master's studies. And," he says, looking up at the sky, then back at the assembled PCs. "The afternoon moves on, and town is ten miles away if you wish to get there before darkness falls. I trust the rest of you are happy to wait here for the present, yes? It doesn't look like it will rain, at any rate. Come with me, young Eniarch." John turns and starts walking briskly towards the tower.

NamelessArchon
2010-01-11, 07:22 AM
Caught off guard by the abruptness of his departure, John makes a few steps before Eniarch hurries to follow him. "Er... Yes, sir. At once."

"Last edited by Unwitting Pawn : Yesterday at 09:05 PM. Reason: not enough yeses"

Okay, I admit it. I laughed at that one.

Devereux
2010-01-11, 07:12 PM
Cedric, not seeing his would-be-friend the guard, spends a moment looking about him.

OH! I'll make a bar song about him some day, yes. All barbs and clever words, yes. I'll teach it to his employees and chef and it'll be catchy and he'll be so embarrased he'll leave town. That's perfect, yes. he says, doing his best to quietly mime John's little quirk.

Giving a final look about for the guard from earlier, and, finding nobody, turns back towards the tower to look there for company.

Breathe, he sighs, not everyone likes to cavort the way you do, Cedric. I hope I didn't ruin it for the rest of them. Poor Miss Ementha... though, she didn't seem too troubled by it. If things have gone poorly, I'll make it up to them. If I have to, I'll even do a bit of groveling and apologizing to John, all formal like, and set things right...

He cringes at the idea a little. Then, his stomach rumbles a little, distracting him from his musings. As he walks towards the tower, he observes Eniarch hastening after John into the tower. Cedric changes course towards the group. He looks at Ementha with an embarassed expression, then turns towards Rann.

"Sorry for before... I hope it worked out better without me here. I suppose I'm used to negotiating with those of a more coarse nature," he apologizes, doing his best to look contrite.

xPANCAKEx
2010-01-18, 07:36 AM
"No appologies are needed - in my line of work i've learned to look passed some of the more... ah, 'abrassive' manners some people work with. You didn't seem to be speaking with malice or discourtery so i take no offense on this occasion.

From what our host, john has said we best move on soon. From my travels i know this settlement near by is not a large town, but its a good place to move on further towards the border. I just hope our fellow employee doesn't nose too long through these books as i'd rather avoid travelling after dark. Maybe their studies will bear fruit?"

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-19, 07:37 PM
@Eniarch

Leading into the tower, John hurries you up two flights of stairs. He stops in front of a door marked with strange symbols, that to your eyes seethes with energy. This door John unlocks with a conventional-seeming key, before ushering you inside. The room itself feels smaller than it's physical dimensions because every surface is stacked with books and papers. Whether due to a desire to hurry you through as quickly as possible, or a sudden burst of genuine helpfulness, you are unsure, but John clears the central table and fetches for you the texts he believes to contain mentions of Dakijek. Leaving you to your reading, John shuts the door behind him.

After the best part of an hour, you find that most of the scant mentions of the elusive wizard simply confirm what John has already told you. It seems that not much was known about Dakijek, but his magical creations sparked a lot of interest. There is much hyperbole and no real details. The only thing new so far is the mention that Dakijek always wore blue. However, you have found references to some other books which John did not place on the table - if copies of some of these also exist in the library that could warrant further reading. Also, you are not able to read some of the older materials that John fetched-out for you, as you see they are written in Latin. But scanning through one, you have spotted where Dakijek's name appears in the text.

John reappears at the door. "How are we proceeding? Confirmed what I have told you, yes?"

@everyone else

The waiting outside is boring and uneventful. It is hours since any of you broke fast and those of you not already hungry, will be starting to feel so now in the absence of other distractions.

Devereux
2010-01-19, 09:38 PM
Cedric looks gratefully at Rann. Then he asks with interest, "Ah, you must tell me a bit more about your line of work. I myself enjoyed playing host and barkeep at my father's inn, God rest his soul. Plenty of rough talking folk there, good enough people at heart all the same, you just need to become fluent with the language, so to speak," he finishes, winking.

He pauses, looks thoughtful a moment, and continues.

"And now, a little business talk. Now now, I'll keep it brief and to the point, because talk like this sounds formal and I don't like formal all that much myself. I'm available "for hire" so to speak, and can serve all of you well, just as I did for my good friend Gill, whom you met earlier. I'm willing to work. Rather than a flat rate, I myself prefer a little slice of the pie, so to speak. In my mind, that keeps me a little more cozy and a little more friend-like with everyone, which is how I prefer my world. Miss Ementha here," he says, nodding congenially her way, "believes I may have a part 'on stage' in this play, so to speak, and I have to say, I'm a little excited to be traveling to the to new lands, dangerous as it may be."

Cedric then stops and tries to wait patiently for an answer, attempting to ignore his rumbling stomach. His stomach growls rather loudly, and he looks around and sniffs the air.

NamelessArchon
2010-01-20, 01:13 PM
Elsewhere, in the Library...

Eniarch startles and glances up at the doorway, not having heard John's return. "Actually, your information appears to have been most accurate, for which I wholeheartedly thank you, John. You cannot imagine how often I find people speaking about things when they are misinformed or inaccurate."

Shaking his head slightly and looking somewhat crestfallen, he continues. "However, I find myself at a sort of academic impasse. There are several works mentioned here I would like to find, but I'm not certain if the library contains them, nor do I wish to intrude beyond my welcome by seeking for them on my own. Might you know if they are herein?"

Tapping a finger upon the works in Latin, he manages a somewhat sheepish smile, "...and... well.. Do you read Latin, John? I confess, in my childhood I was never educated in the classic tongue as part of my training, but there are some mentions of Dakijek here in the language that I cannot decipher alone, and I would beg assistance with them."

dariathalon
2010-01-20, 01:28 PM
Ementha smiles, her nose wrinkling slightly. "I have no problem with what you suggest. Who am I to say that you'd deserve a smaller share than I for putting yourself to the same risks. Gill did seem rather impressed with your service too, so I would have no reason to doubt your abilities."

She sits down in the grass again and pulls a bit of dried meat from her pack. "Well, I hope you all don't mind, but my stomach is won't stand much longer without a bite to eat. I figure we've got some time until Eniarch gets back anyway." She begins gnawing on the dried meat.

Devereux
2010-01-20, 08:24 PM
Cedric smiles and chuckles. "Well now, I don't need an equal slice... necessarily... but I would just prefer to feel like a part of the team, a bit more vested so to speak. And most importantly, if trouble does find us, I want comrades at my back, rather then feeling like an expendable wall of solid muscle," he says, patting his belly.

He turns to Rann. "Did we intend to wait for the wizard here, or move on to town and let him catch up? I don't mind kicking back beneath the stars; but if we're staying, I might like to sniff out a nibble or two and a drink. You know, prolong the purely functional eating" he says gesturing to the dried meat Ementha is eating "until absolutely necessary."

Although Cedric may be a bit hungry, I don't think he's the type to beg rations off his new companions. What he might do is track down the guards to find a local fishing hole, or barter for some food using whatever means available (perhaps a successful carousing attempt:smallbiggrin:, or money) from his "brothers in arms", the guards. However for the sake of progression I would just as happily write off food consumption until town, off screen, or whatever.

dariathalon
2010-01-21, 12:02 PM
Ementha removes one of her bracelets, a large round wooden one that slides easily off of her small hand. "Speaking of tonight, I might as well prepare here where it's easier to cast." She holds it in one hand, waving the other hand over it in a complicated gesture. She speaks a few words quietly and then taps the bracelet.

(Cast Continual Light (Skill 13))

[roll0]

She intends to use the full 6 energy.

dariathalon
2010-01-21, 08:38 PM
The bracelet bursts into a bright light. Ementha places her hand between the bracelet and her eyes and blinks a few times. A few drops of perspiration are on her forehead.

"Well, that's that," she says. She tucks the bracelet into one of the pockets in her skirt. It creates an odd glowing spot in the dark fabric. She leans back on one of her palms and continues eating her lunch.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-25, 03:15 PM
Rann seems to ponder Cedric and Ementha's words. He watches as the young woman shoves the shining bracelet into her clothes, before speaking. "Nice trick."

Franciszek looks away disapprovingly, but says nothing.

Turning back to the stocky guardsman, Rann says "I have nothing against your suggestion of a 'slice of the pie', if John recommends extra muscle on this trip. I can probably look after myself, but three wizards are perhaps too much for any man to handle on his own," he smiles. "Miss Ementha also seems to be in agreement with your appointment so, provided that the others also approve... What do you say, Franciszek?" Rann prompts the quiet Megalan.

"What? Ah," the wizard absent-mindedly fidgets with his sleeve. "Yes, I agree also."

"Good. Then that probably settles it," says Rann. " Unless Eniarch has any major objection...

"Speaking of whom, I wonder how long he is likely to be?" Rann tries not to look at Ementha eating. "I would certainly like to find a tavern soon for some lunch."

"Hmmm?" Franciszek looks up. "Oh I am hungry as well, now that you mention it. Excuse me." He turns and rummages through his backpack. Franciszek pulls out a block of cheese and sits down to nibble at it.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-25, 07:35 PM
Back in the Library...

John nods in understanding as Eniarch speaks. "My knowledge is only specifically of the books that I pulled out for you. I am not aware that there is anything else relevant, yes. But you are welcome to look. I can allow you another hour in here, yes. Then I believe that the master wants the library for himself.

"As to Latin. I can only read and write it to a limited degree, yes. I'm afraid that mine was not an ecclesistical education."

So you have 1 hour. Choose wisely, yes. :smallwink:

If you have any questions before you act IC, please to post OOC. I'm trying to avoid further wall-of-spoiler effects.

Devereux
2010-01-25, 07:48 PM
"Egads," Cedric says, making a face, "it sounds awful when you say it. Perhaps instead I should have called my portion, 'a bite of the brisket' or 'a spoonful of the soup'... not quite the traditional ring but it sounds a bit less greedy, too." He seems pleased with his creativity.

Cedric's stomach growls, and it sounds aggressive and threatening.

I think I'll join you for a bite to eat. Perhaps we could move ahead to the town. We should probably let a guard know that we've headed off so that someone can tell Eniarch where exactly to meet us. Perhaps one of the guards can suggest a place to eat and stay, considering I don't know the town. If we get really lucky, perhaps one of the guards had lunch and has leftovers he's willing to share."

"If that's alright with everyone, then I suppose I should go tell someone.," he says, waiting a moment before heading towards the tower.

What are our surroundings like? Are there more likely buildings to find guards in? Like a barracks or mess hall?

dariathalon
2010-01-25, 08:01 PM
Em smiles at Rann's recognition of her spell, but says nothing. She rolls her eyes at Frankie's obvious disapproval.

Ementha picks up her pack. "I think I have a little more in here if you're that hungry. I could probably find a little something to share." She puts the last of the hunk of meat she'd pulled out earlier in her mouth.

"I don't know about leaving without Eniarch though. In my experience, its usually best to stick together in these sorts of situations. Plus, I could use a little while to rest after casting that spell. That's why I did it, I figured we'd be waiting for him for at least a little bit."

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-26, 07:12 AM
"Hold up there, Cedric. No point charging off, yet. Town is ten miles away," says Rann. "That'll take you a couple hours at least, judging by the size of your pack.

"Besides, Ementha is right. We shouldn't split up unless it's truly necessary. And you and I not having brought enough food with us and having to skip lunch, isn't an emergency," he smiles. "Yet."

To Ementha he says "If you do have spare enough to feed Cedric and I, it would be appreciated. I'll gladly take care of a hot meal tonight in return."

"Yes," Franciszek looks up from his cheese. "The girl is tired from that spell, I expect."

---

The area inside the wooden wall is a circular space approx 200 yards in diameter. The tower is in the centre of the yard. The stone building is five storeys tall and roughly 25 yards square. There are three smaller wooden buildings in the yard.

The smallest of the wooden structures is probably an outhouse. The largest is possibly a barn or storage building of some kind. The last building has a chimney, but is too small to be anything like a barracks or mess hall. As far as you could see, there were no buildings immediately outside the enclosure.

Caithness is a largely agrarian economy, so there will no doubt be villages in the surrounding countryside. You would almost certainly expect to encounter some along the road before you reach the town. However, realistically most villages are not large enough to support an inn, tavern or dedicated shop.

NamelessArchon
2010-01-26, 10:13 AM
...and now, we must rush. Eniarch's lips thin down. "My education was somewhat lacking in matters of dogma as well."

He rests his chin in against his right hand for a moment, drifting in thought, and then rests his hands flat upon the table, looking thin and worn down. "Here, then, is the plan that makes the most sense to me. Go to the others, if they were actually wise enough to wait for me, and see if any of them can read languages other than Anglish, Aralaise and Dwarven. If one can read Latin, we shall have that one translate these passages. If not, I will ask you read them for me as best you are able, which will certainly be better than I will manage in any case. I lack the materials to transcribe them, so I must take such translations as I may find."

He pushes his chair back and stands, then pushes it back under the table and begins searching the shelves while he continues to speak. "In the meantime, I shall try to find these other tomes myself. If I cannot, at least we will have spent our energies in the most productive manner available to us." He peeks around a shelf and looks at John plaintively. "Additionally, if you are willing to allow one or two of the others to search with me, I would be grateful. This is a sizable collection and I am most eager to find what we seek and be gone from here well before your master comes calling at the door."

He squints at a dusty book cover a moment, ignoring a reminder from his stomach about mundane concerns, and then frowns. Reaching into his belt purse, he produces a copper farthing in his open palm. And since I must search for these books in any corner, no matter how dark, best if I produce sufficient light to see them properly. He passes a hand over the coin, quietly whispering the words of a spell before tapping the coin with a finger as he finishes.

No walls of text or significant questions. Eniarch can't read Latin and still needs to find the books referenced elsewhere, so best to get on with the search for more information while someone else is making a go at the information we've already found and which Eniarch cannot decipher himself.

The spell is Continual Light, with 4 points of energy: [roll0]

The coin flares into a glow with the brilliance of torchlight, casting shadows upon the walls that transform Eniarch's cloaked frame into a giant looming over the room and lighting the recesses of his hood brightly enough to show the thinness of his face clearly.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-26, 11:32 AM
John waits for Eniarch to finish illuminating the coin, before he speaks. "Very well. You may fetch the others, yes. But be quick! And they must be quiet and not make a mess. I will wait here, in case none of them do read Latin, yes."

John pauses before muttering under his breath. "But you would think if they had any skill in written lore, that they might have spoken for themselves sooner..."

dariathalon
2010-01-26, 11:42 AM
Ementha smiles. "Certainly, I'll see what I've got. I would say repayment isn't necessary, but it's been a couple of days since I've had a good warm meal. If you've got enough to spare tonight I certainly wouldn't turn you down." She opens the flap of her pack and begins searching through it. "Here we go." She holds out a small cloth that has been tied around a bunch of nuts and dried berries. "It's not much, but it should be enough for the two of you to make a meal out of."

I've marked off three trail rations.

Devereux
2010-01-26, 12:34 PM
Cedric hesitates.

"Well... you are right, good point, I would hate to leave a comrade behind for something as insignificant as a hot, delicious, mouthwatering..." Cedric shakes his head as if snapping out of a trance. "...lunch" he finishes with effort.

"As for your kind offer, Miss Ementha..." He pauses, his face reluctant, but his eyes betraying him: they haven't let Ementha's rations out of sight for more than a second or two.

"Well... only if you think you have enough. Just enough to tide me... erm, us... over until that hot dinner tonight. Thank you, Rann, you are generous as well. Thank you both. Mmm...."

Cedric takes a seat nearby Ementha and tries to get comfortable.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-26, 01:21 PM
"Thank you." Rann joins the others on the ground. He looks and Cedric's face for a moment, perhaps trying to gage from his expression whether the larger man was hoping for a portion of something a little less vegetarian in nature. Whatever his conclusion, Rann then begins dividing the proffered 1lb bundle of nuts and fruit into roughly equal halves.

Devereux
2010-01-26, 02:24 PM
Cedric thanks Ementha and then Rann as he receives his portion.

He seems to be enjoying himself and he nibbles at his portion, making an effort to eat in a paced fashion.

"Miss Ementha," he says between mouthfuls, "you look like you've traveled quite a bit. I'd like to ask you a bit about where you learned fortune telling, and if you've been traveling long before coming here... if you don't mind my curious old self nosing his way into things a bit."

I certainly don't expect that we have to conduct discussion like this IC but Cedric would take opportunity to ask questions of each of his companions during travel and free time, I think

dariathalon
2010-01-26, 07:21 PM
Ementha rubs her forehead. "I'll be happy to answer your questions, but perhaps a bit later. I seem to be getting a bit of a headache, maybe I put a bit too much into that spell... I hope you don't think me rude, but I think I'd rather just sit quietly with my eyes closed until he's done in the tower. I'm sure you boys can find some more interesting topic than me anyway." She stands and moves a few paces away to the wooden wall. She sits, leaning back against the wall, and rests in the shade it offers.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-26, 07:36 PM
Rann watches Ementha get up and move away, but says nothing.

Devereux
2010-01-26, 09:47 PM
Cedric looks sympathetically towards Ementha.

"Well we'll have plenty of time for that later. It looks a bit draining but I'm still a bit envious of spell-casters. The other pasture is always greener I suppose."

He munches a bit more on the snacks.

"These aren't so bad really. *munchchomp*. So Rann, ever traveled near the borders? I'm afraid I have not done nearly as much traveling as I might like to do some day. I'm actually quite looking forward to this trip. Gill traveled a bit but for the most part I think it was all pretty tame. Ever been deep into Megalos? Tell me about the strangest thing you've seen...*chompcrunch*"

EDIT: this was just filler. no need to continue on with this

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-27, 05:58 AM
Rann pauses eating to answer his talkative companion. "I have travelled around Caithness a bit. Not gone too far into Megalos, though." He smiles. "You asked about strange? Well there was a funny thing this one time. You see, I'd been hired on a job to find a rare..."

The remainder of lunch passes without incident...

NamelessArchon
2010-01-27, 11:31 AM
Clutching the glowing farthing in one hand, Eniarch snatches his staff up from beside the table and rushes from the room, slipping around John as he departs. "Quickly it is, then." As he hurries through the halls, the light from the coin in his hand squeezes between his fingers to cast rippling lines of light over the stone. Emerging once more into the sunlight, he squints a moment and the torchglow of the coin is all but drowned in the daylight.

It's obvious he's anxious about something as he approaches, almost breathless with haste. He calls out to the others as he hurries back to where they are gathered. "Do any among you read Latin, or any other languages beyond Anglish, Aralaise or Dwarven? I have found references to Dakijek in Latin - they may be something important or nothing at all. I also need a quiet and sharp-eyed searcher or two to help me search the library for some tomes that John cannot locate for me, and those may not be in Anglish any more than the others, if they exist at all."

Licking his lips nervously, he continues. "We have access to the library for no more than an hour and then must be gone, so we need to hurry if we would succeed. If you can help, then follow me. Quickly now!"

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-27, 02:06 PM
"Only the Northland script," says Rann. "And that to a limited degree. I know no Latin, I'm afraid. If time is pressing though, I might still be of some help. I know my way around a book collection."

"Adsum!" Franciszek stands up. "I understand Latin fluently," he says.

Devereux
2010-01-27, 04:23 PM
Cedric looks interested in Eniarch's excited request, but shakes his head and says "sorry friend, I wish I could help. Perhaps I could buy some time for you and distract John for a bit. Heh.

He brushes a few crumbs off his chest.

dariathalon
2010-01-27, 05:40 PM
Ementha stops rubbing her temples long enough to raise a hand. "I've picked up a bit of Elven, if you think that would help. I'm not sure how much use I'll be, but I can try to ignore this headache for a while if you need me."

NamelessArchon
2010-01-28, 08:44 AM
To Franciszek, he responds immediately. "You have training in the classical tongue and did not speak up previously? You are too modest by half, sir. Come, we can put your skill with language to use." He turns to Rann and continues. "The library is small enough that too many bodies would become a clutter quickly, but I think I can afford to take three, and we can search the library more thoroughly with extra eyes."

Looking at Cedric's slightly crumb-dusted clothing, Eniarch shakes his head. "You wish to help us, which is good, but if we accept you, then I would prefer to rely upon your avowed martial talents, to say nothing of trying to remain below John's notice for a bit longer. Wait for us here, and we'll return to discuss your.. employment. We shall not be more than an hour, in any case."

Next, he motions Ementha over, and then glances heavenward for a moment, as though to see how far down the sky the sun has descended. "I do not know that your language skill will help, but if I can only take three others, then I would take those who can accomplish more than one task where possible." He shifts the staff into his left hand, and raises his right hand hesitantly, and speaks in a somewhat lower tone. "I... can take that pain from you.." He swallows nervously. "...if you would permit me?"

dariathalon
2010-01-28, 08:01 PM
Ementha smiles. "If you'd like, you may. But you don't need to tire yourself out on my account. I'm sure it will work itself out soon though. The few minutes I had of rest have helped some. I think I've got a bit of red-willow root in my bag that I can chew on too. That works wonders."

NamelessArchon
2010-01-29, 08:26 AM
"Ah." It seems as though he is about to say more, but then he closes his mouth and turns to address the group as a whole instead. "We should get started. Our time is most limited." With that, he turns on his heel and scurries back to the tower entrance to lead the way back to the library for the others, stopping at the door to wait for those who are returning with him.

dariathalon
2010-01-29, 05:21 PM
Ementha shrugs her shoulders and follows Eniarch. After only a couple of paces she turns her head over her shoulder calling out to Cedric, "Try to stay out of trouble now," she says giving him a good natured wink.

As they walk in, she says to the others. "I can look through books if you want me to, but I don't know that I'll find much." She shrugs. "Or if you want me to just stay out of the way unless you find something you want me to read through, just let me know."

Devereux
2010-01-29, 11:02 PM
Cedric grins back at Ementha and waves to the departing figures.

After a few moments, he lays back and stares at the sky. If someone were watching, he would look lost in thought.

NamelessArchon
2010-01-31, 02:10 AM
"Come with us, just in case. I will continue to search the stacks alone, but without someone to translate the works I cannot read, some of what we find will be beyond our reach, and I would prefer not to waste more time returning a second time. You can simply rest and wait. So long as we are quiet and do not make a mess, John will not object, and I will not need to hunt for a translator."

Unwitting Pawn
2010-01-31, 09:15 AM
Inside the tower...

Eniarch leads the others up two flights of stairs, where John is waiting impatiently in the doorway to the library. John steps aside to let the party through. As they enter, everyone can see that the open door itself is marked with strange symbols.

@Ementha
Not only can you see that the door seethes with energy, but you get a sense of multiple spells interlocked in a powerful pattern.

"Be careful! Be careful, yes," says John as the four PCs shuffle into the cramped and cluttered space. "This room was not meant for holding guild meetings. Now, do any of you know Latin?" Franciszek nods, and John says "Good, good. Then you do not need me, yes. I will be back in an hour. Do not make a mess." He hurries off.

NamelessArchon
2010-01-31, 11:49 AM
Eniarch speaks up, impatient to be off on his search instead of standing around in a herd. "Franciszek, I laid the works that were in Latin out on the table." He indicates a small stack of old books and papers resting on the central table with his free hand. "The rest of you can just rest for a bit. If I find something to translate, you will be to hand, and if not, the library is at least out of the sun."

With that, he rests his staff against the wall near the door, and begins searching the stacks and shelves once more, orbiting the group as he moves from place to place in the library. "Now, while we're out of earshot, I assume we shall hire the merchant's guard?" He glances at the others a moment, and resumes his search. "He seems honest enough, if a bit coarse. Unless one of you has some objection, I would suggest we give him the opportunity to prove his worth. I learned long ago that sometimes the best things are found when you least expect them or want them."

Yes, and that find was a thing of beauty. Strong, fast, capable of using a sword well enough to finish off the friends he'd arrived with. Claudius was so happy to have the extra material, once we finally arrived, that he failed to scold me over how late I returned. He smiles slightly as he continues the search. An unexpected thing of beauty, indeed. I wonder how one might better preserve the mind, for next time...

dariathalon
2010-01-31, 12:38 PM
Ementha pulls a large-ish canvas bundle from her pack. She unties the cord that had been wrapped around it, holding it all together. Inside, there are a number of small and large pockets each holding small tools or herbs. She quickly finds a small reddish brown root which she pops into her mouth and begins chewing on. She then carefully re-wraps the bundle and places it back into her bag.

While she does all this, she responds to Eniarch, "Actually, we've already had a word with him in your absence. We had come to an agreement, though on the condition that you had no objections."

While she waits she walks along one row of shelves looking over titles, away from the others so as not to be in the way. She grabs the first book to catch her eye, probably a tome on the natural world or the healing arts, but it could be on just about any topic really. She sits down and flips through it quietly, waiting for the others to need her.

The canvas bundle was her first aid kit. She took out some red-willow root, which I've just made up as a herbal headache remedy. I figured that would be okay.

I'm also assuming that Ementha has enough time in here to finish regaining all the energy she has spent. If I remember correctly (can't access her sheet because mythweavers is down at the moment) she has recover energy at 15. She had previously used 10 energy, between the casting of mage sight and her continual light. She probably had enough time to get back the mage sight over lunch and the continual light here in the library.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-01, 05:06 PM
Eniarch doesn't even look up from the stacks where he's looking. "Until I've seen him in action, I wouldn't know a steeled mercenary from an oafish farmer with a sword. I cannot think of any informed objection I would raise."

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-01, 09:59 PM
Results of the research

Eniarch has found two other sources that contain possible mentions of the mysterious Dakijek. One book tells that the enchanter always wore at least one item of blue clothing, and was never seen otherwise in public. The second book tells of a strange little man that lived in Nightstalker Forest and it is this description that one of the previous texts Eniarch had read refers to - the author there believing it to probably be the elusive Dakijek in retirement. Nightstalker Forest is described as being 200 miles northwest of New Jerusalem.

Rann discovers nothing new himself, and only serves to get in the way.

Franciszek finds that the works in Latin mostly confirm what has already been said by John. There is one book that refers to Dakijek as "the green wizard". Another tells of him having gone west in retirement, never to return. It says that he left behind his favourite blue hat, but does not record what became of the article after that.

Ementha has not been required, as nothing in Elven needed to be read. The book she picked up describes "Simple Herbal Remedies of Village Witches" with what turns out to be an alarming degree of inaccuracy.

OOC:
I don't imagine that any of the PCs are likely to have faced a nightstalker before. However they will probably all know that nightstalkers are gigantic bear-like animals which live in the wooded areas of Caithness and Megalos. They are very aggressive meat-eaters that have no hesitation adding people to the menu.

dariathalon
2010-02-01, 11:08 PM
Ementha can be seen shaking her head several times, and even occasionally clicking her tongue. After about a half hour of flipping through the book, she stands and looks around for some paper and a bottle of ink.

If she finds some, she'll draft a note describing all the inaccuracies she has found. As she continues to read, she adds to the note. Eventually as the hour winds to an end she'll conclude her note by writing where she's had to leave off in her reading and saying that she hopes the reader finds the notes helpful. She signs her name and leaves the note sitting on top of the book on the table.

If she doesn't find any paper, she puts the book back on the shelf and pulls another. "Maybe this one won't be such garbage," she mutters.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-02, 11:14 AM
Ementha finds suitable paper, quill and ink. Having only half an hour left in which to write her corrections, she will have to work fast.

OK dariathalon, a skill check is in order :smallsmile:

Now I think that either Esoteric Medicine or Pharmacy (Herbal) could come into play here, so we'll use the higher one. This will technically be an IQ-based roll rather than Per, but in Em's case they're both the same so no change there.

I also think that Writing skill should play a part as well; Em is putting theory and experience into written form, in a hurry, and the writing needs to be readable and accurate.

As the two things are concurrent, rather than separate sequential skill uses, let's do this: make one 3d6 roll, which we will compare against both target numbers.

If the roll is low enough that both skills succeed, then Ementha has written notes which are clear, accurate, and relate to the book material in an understandable fashion. If the first skill succeeds, but not the latter, then another practitioner would probably be able to decipher that her corrections were accurate, but a lay-person would likely just get confused. If they both fail then the work will be confusing and contradictory and Em would know that just be reading it back. On a critical failure, then Ementha has done something awful - let's say she spills the ink all over the original book.

Based on that, you can make a spoilered roll and should be able to edit the IC content to fit the result accordingly. Let me know if I've missed something out (in OOC thread pls if you want to ask before rolling).

And finally, the target numbers:
Esoteric Medicine at +2 because it's just theory and she doesn't have an injured/sick patient to worry about - 16
Writing at default, with an extra -2 'cause she's having to work fast - 6

dariathalon
2010-02-02, 09:22 PM
As the hour comes to a close, Ementha concludes her note. She holds it up to re-read what she has written. She squints and moves the paper forward and back away from her face before eventually settling on the correct reading distance.

When finished, she makes a slightly disappointed face. "I think I tried to write too much. It came out a little jumbled, but at least the information is correct now. Hopefully he'll be able to understand it all," she says quietly.

She places the note on the table, and adds the following, "I must apologize for my skipping around so much as I've written. There were just too many problems with the book for me to address them all in the short time that I had. I couldn't, in good conscience let them go unaddressed. I hope you find these corrections helpful and if you wish to discuss them further, I'd be happy to speak with you on the issue when I return. May many blessings befall you, Ementha."

She puts the note and the book on the table and picks up her things, preparing to go.

(Esoteric Medicine and Writing roll)

[roll0]

I've editted in a post that I think reflects this roll.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-02, 10:57 PM
"Hmf." Eniarch shakes his head. "Not much here. There's a reference here that might be correct." He taps a slim book. "...but there's nothing definitive."

"So far, aside from a predilection for wearing blue, I've found only this reference to a "strange man" living in 'Nightstalker Forest'. Not exactly a welcoming way to name a place, but the area fits our rough idea of where to go, at least. I wonder if the locals in town might know more about the area, maybe even something about its history."

He manages a shrug of resignation. "If there's more to find, I doubt I'll discover it here."

dariathalon
2010-02-02, 11:19 PM
"Well hopefully that book is a little more accurate than this one was," Ementha says while putting the ink and quill back where she found them.

"Not that I'd mind if the part about the nightstalkers was a little bit off. Never actually seen one, but the things give me the shivers. Ol' Leftie back in Shade's Edge told of a run in he had with one years back. Thing tore off his arm! While it was eating away at that, Leftie ran and ran and ran. Straight back to Widow Griselda. She staunched up the bleeding and saved his life. She said if he'd taken just a few minutes longer to get there he'd have died from all losing so much blood."

NamelessArchon
2010-02-03, 10:33 AM
Eniarch frowns slightly. "I've never actually seen one. I don't know that I've ever met anyone who has."

He fetches his staff from the place where it rests, once again ignoring a reminder from his stomach that lunch has come and gone, and turns to the others. "However, we can discuss how best to deal with nightstalkers once we are certain we are planning to search that area. As we will accomplish little else here, let us find John, thank him for his assistance, and depart. We have many preparations to make and by now our mercenary must be getting anxious to be off."

He clutches the glowing coin in one hand, and then uses his staff to motion to the door. "Shall we be off?"

Devereux
2010-02-03, 01:07 PM
Comfortable, sated (for now), and feeling a bit better about things after some time to think, Cedric has since retrieved his lute and begun playing.

Notes vaguely resembling a locally popular bar song warble through the air, and Cedric quietly sings along.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-03, 05:04 PM
Inside the tower...

John reappears at the door. "Finished, yes? Good, good. Then if there is nothing else, you had best be going if you wish to reach the town. Godspeed, yes." He attempts to usher everyone out of the room and back down the stairs, pausing only to relock the library door.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-04, 09:43 AM
Eniarch allows John to usher the group from the room, and waits for him to lock the door before he speaks to him. "It has been more productive than might have been expected to have had access to the library. Thank you for your assistance." He makes a slight bow, then turns to descend the steps and leave the tower before John starts looking for a broom to sweep them from the tower.

dariathalon
2010-02-04, 07:57 PM
Ementha walks out the door, giving John a smile. "Thanks again for all of your help. I guess we'll see you when we've found it."

As Ementha leaves the tower she says, "Well, some information gained anyway, but more would have been useful. I guess I'll have to watch the omens to see if I can gather any more clues."

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-04, 08:30 PM
"Yes," says John in reply. "Good luck and Godspeed." He sees you out of the tower and gives a wave before disappearing back inside.

The sun has disappeared and it is rapidly getting dark outside. There is a partial moon that occasionally glows through a gap in the clouds. The evening air is a little chill.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-05, 12:37 PM
Eniarch pulls his cloak around himself a little more tightly. The season's chill is all too evident in the air. Omens and signs. Phaw. Next we'll be casting tea leaves and reading entrails while we fret over black cats.

He once again plucks the glowing coin from his pouch and holds it aloft, casting a brightly defiant circle within the gathering darkness, then turns to follow the lead of the others. "Nothing we found is definitive, to be sure. What should our next course of action be?"

Devereux
2010-02-05, 01:52 PM
Seeing the group exit tower, and noting a definitive lack of stuffy caretakers, Cedric stands up and approaches them.

"Well now, found everything you needed? Or is it safe for me to say 'we' yet?" he asks, looking questioningly at everyone, but especially Eniarch.

"I would have loved to have seen all the books in that library. I bet a wizard like him's got all sorts of books about all sorts of places and monsters and whatnot!" he says excitedly

"as for our trip ahead... do you know where we're going? As much as I dislike sleeping out in this chilly weather, I don't think we'll be getting better accomadations here, if I'm any judge of our friend John's quick farewell. May as well put some distance towards town, if that's our aim. Maybe a barn along the way will provide some more sheltered accomadations. Or an inn or friendly farm house. Or any place they might have some food. I'm a bit ill prepared for the trip. I didn't think to ask Gill for any provisions before he left."

He shivers a bit and looks at the moon.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-05, 04:28 PM
"'We' is safe enough. You'll have a chance to earn your keep before we're through, I'd expect." Eniarch glances at the sky a moment, and tries to shrug deeper into his threadbare cloak.

"I'm not at all familiar with the area here. Not to mention, I'm not sure how welcome we'd be camping here next to the tower. I've bunked down in the open before, but I'd rather reach a place where I could find something to eat before I sleep. I'm not much for foraging in the wilderness and the town is a fair distance away." He trails off and shrugs slightly.

dariathalon
2010-02-05, 05:53 PM
Ementha bends over to make sure her shoes are ready for a good long walk. Then she pauses to make sure her backpack's straps are sitting comfortably on her shoulders.

"Well, whatever we do, there's no use standing here and wagging our jaws. I think we're all in agreement to try to at least get some travel done today." She begins walking toward the gates, using her mage's staff as a walking stick. She calls over her shoulder, "We might as well start moving. We can talk as we walk. My mouth works just as well if I'm walking and if I'm not."

Once Ementha reaches the gate, she'll look back over to make sure the others are behind her. If not, she'll pause to wait for them, although looking a little impatient.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-05, 07:18 PM
Eniarch nods in agreement at that. "One moment, then, and I'll fetch my things."

The mercenary isn't the only one a bit ill prepared for a lengthy trip. He hurries out of the compound, and turns right to walk along the wall for a few paces, using the coin to light his way. A few paces from the entrance, he turns left and walks a pace to a small scrubby tree. He bends down and retrieves a small cloth bundle from near the base of the tree, then returns to the entrance to stand next to Ementha, where he spends some time tying it to one end of his staff with a bit of twine.

Holding the coin in his left hand and with the staff over his right shoulder, he waits quietly for the others to be ready to depart.

Devereux
2010-02-06, 09:51 AM
Cedric puts his things away and shoulders his pack. He then pauses and looks around to see if anyone needs any help.

"How are you feeling now, Miss Ementha? Hope a bit better. he asks, lumbering out after Ementha.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-07, 08:10 PM
Rann says "I'll catch up in a few minutes," as he begins to resaddle his horse and prepare for the journey.

Franciszek picks up his gear and silently follows the others.

dariathalon
2010-02-07, 10:43 PM
Ementha smiles. "Oh much better now, thank you," she relies to Cedric. "It is wonderous what a little red-willow root and a few minutes of quiet rest can do. I probably just tuckered myself out making that bracelet glow."

She begins walking, "So are we going to try to make it to town or just stop when we've found a good campsite?" she asks.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-08, 01:35 PM
Eniarch waits patiently for the more experienced travelers to chime in, considering his own opinion on the subject in case the others ask him for it. Walking all night won't accomplish much beyond leaving us exhausted the following day. He raises the coin higher for a moment, while peering out at the surrounding terrain. This isn't my idea of a grand place to make camp, but I've had rougher. I think we cover what distance we can, then make camp before it gets too late.

Devereux
2010-02-08, 02:54 PM
Cedric scratches his chin thoughtfully, and suggests, "Well I am certainly mostly used to wagon travel. I would suggest we travel until the sun sets a bit. Then keep our eyes peeled for places that look more comfortable or defensible if we're in the open... or perhaps we'll happen upon a home where we could offer a copper or two for a barn or shed to sleep, or maybe even a spot of breakfast for a little extra."

Things were so much easier with Gil doing the driving and deciding. At least this promises to be a bit more exciting.

dariathalon
2010-02-08, 06:45 PM
"Sounds like a plan to me," Ementha says. She glances up to the sky, looking for signs of what tonight's weather might hold.

(Weather Sense skill 12)
[roll0]

dariathalon
2010-02-11, 01:19 AM
After a few moments of looking at the sky, Ementha continues. "Well, that's one thing we don't have to worry about anyway. The Signs say that we'll be getting rain soon, but it should hold off until tomorrow afternoon, I think."

NamelessArchon
2010-02-12, 02:22 PM
"Cold is better than cold and damp, at any rate." Eniarch continues to trudge along at the back of the group. "By then we should have arrived at town, and we can work out what to do to try and stay dry on the trip out."

Devereux
2010-02-12, 04:53 PM
"I'm happy to keep walking until we get to town, I don't see a need to camp out and risk getting caught in weather tomorrow. John mentioned earlier we could make it by nightfall, and we're only a couple hours off now. So long as your light holds, and I can get a warm bite to eat once we're there."

"Speaking of which, does anyone recall if this town had a name? Or will it just be the first clump of buildings we encounter with a place to eat?"

Cedric marches along happily, humming a tune to himself from time to time.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-13, 10:23 PM
Rann trots up to the others, before dismounting to lead his horse on foot, and the party moves along the road towards town. As the White Tower is left behind, the darkness of evening is held at bay by the group's two sources of unnatural light. The light from these drown out the pale luminosity of Yrth's partially-visible satellite, and serve as visible beacons of the party's movement to any other inhabitants of that dim night.

Marching progress will be dictated, as all would expect, by the pace of the slowest member of the group. After a little walking, it becomes fairly apparent that that person is going to be Ementha.

OOC:
dariathalon, do you want to try for a Hiking roll?
NA, I don't think you need make such a test, as it won't matter here. Eniarch is least encumbered of the party at this juncture.

dariathalon
2010-02-14, 02:14 AM
The weight of her backpack is already beginning to weigh heavily. It is almost half the weight of her own body, so it is little surprise, really. And her long walk before encountering Gill's wagon earlier in the day was certainly beginning to get to her tired legs and feet. She pauses for a moment, readjusting her backpack straps. When she takes off again, she tries to set a moderate, but steady pace.

Hiking roll (Skill 11)
[roll0]

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-14, 11:56 AM
After about an hour or so, the party passes by the outskirts of a small village near the road. A narrow track leads off from the road to where a few dark buildings are barely visible in the moonlight.

Rann looks down the track for a moment. "I can't see any lights on over there," he squints. "Shall we keep going? I'm inclined to stay on the road until we find somewhere more inviting, but I'm not sure what was agreed while I was saddling-up."

OOC:
Thx for the roll, dariathalon. Needless to say perhaps, but that was a success. :smallsmile:

Devereux
2010-02-14, 12:33 PM
"I don't need to stop just yet. And I think I would rather sleep under the sky then wake some poor bloke just to beg for a place to sleep. But then, I've been on a wagon all day. Perhaps our more road weary friends may feel inclined to take a rest. Miss Ementha here was looking a bit tired but seems to have perked up a bit. I'm not positive about Eniarch and er, Francis here," he says, looking apologetically at Franciszek.

"A saucy cut of beef and a mug of something warm and frothy might be nice though... or I'd settle for eggs... or even some of that mystery stew I cooked up last week...," he says quietly, thinking outloud.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-14, 06:21 PM
Eniarch turns away from the track to address the others. "Hungry as I am, I would rather our arrival not wake the village with an armed gang at my back. Such is apt to lead to a misunderstanding we would do very well to avoid." His eyes linger on Cedric's weapons as he speaks.

He regards the dim buildings for a quiet moment, then shakes his head in negation. "I would also prefer to stop where there will be some assurance of something to eat, but if there were any tradehouse here, then surely there would be some signs of activity and lights to show it as such."

He looks once more at the farmhouses, and then looks up the road before he speaks again. "If we are all prepared to march on, I will not speak against it. There will be other meals and other places to rest."

dariathalon
2010-02-15, 12:08 AM
Ementha pauses, examining the darkened buildings carefully. Her eyes narrow to a squint for a few moments, before she turns back to the rest of the group. "Looks to me like nobody's home, or at least awake at any rate. Let's keep walking. There's bound to be a better option than waking a poor family up to ask for a bit of food and a place to sleep. I'm not that desperate." In her mind, she adds, "Well, not yet anyway."

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-15, 07:25 AM
The road proceeds onwards. After some time, the darkness ahead is broken by a small glimmer of light that your eyes would guess to be an approaching candle.

"I think that they are singing," comments Franciszek. The rest of you don't yet hear anything other than your own steps.

Devereux
2010-02-15, 09:21 PM
"Singing? Are they any good?" muses Cedric to Franciszek.

He then stops, checks to make sure that his sword is within easy reach, strains his ears to hear, and squints out into the dark.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-15, 09:56 PM
Good voices or no, by now they've certainly seen us if we can already make out their candle in the dark. Eniarch settles the free end of his staff on the ground, and strains to hear or even see the approaching singers, all the while holding the coin high above his head in a futile attempt to gain a better look before they approach more closely.

He speaks softly to the others, trying not to let his voice carry too strongly. "I would rather know, instead, what they sing and in which tongue. I fear my ears and eyes are not so sharp as yours."

Devereux
2010-02-16, 09:11 AM
"A very good point. You're clearly one of those who God blessed with wits." whispers Cedric, vainly attempting to talk and listen at the same time. "But... if they are robbers, I may willingly part with a few silver if they sing me a sweet song, provided they settle for just a few."

He then puts a hand up to cup his ear to attempt to listen.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-16, 09:13 AM
As the PCs pause, the candlelight continues to approach. Rann's horse appears to be unsettled and he calms it as quietly as he can.

"No, they would not appear to be any good," says Franciszek.

@Cedric
You could just make out some singing as Franciszek was replying, but not well enough to identify. There is then a moment of silence as the candle appears to have stopped its approach. You can spot two or three persons in the glow ahead, and you hear low voices instead of more song.

"I believe it was supposed to be Anglish. I'm sure I would not recognise the song," adds Franciszek disdainfully. "In any case they have stopped."

@Eniarch
You heard something that was probably singing, but now there is silence. The candle appears to have stopped its approach. You can make out at least two figures in the light.

@Ementha
You heard something that was probably supposed to be singing, follwed by silence as the candle appears to have stopped its approach. Then the sound of low voices.

dariathalon
2010-02-16, 09:15 AM
Ementha whispers. "I could try to sense foes, but if they really are singing, it seems to me that they probably aren't hostile. Maybe we should just call out a greeting and see what happens." She takes a step forward, with the obvious intent of calling out. Though she pauses long enough that she can be stopped if the others feel strongly against it.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-16, 09:36 AM
Before anyone can reply to Ementha, there is a shout or cry from up ahead and the candle goes out. Followed by a wet thud.

In answer to dariathalon's OOC question:
The candle/voices were roughly 50 yards in front.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-17, 09:03 AM
Someone is going to need a healer, and quickly. Holding the coin aloft for vision, Eniarch rushes forward past the others, heading rapidly towards the location where the candle was before it was extinguished.

Devereux
2010-02-17, 12:04 PM
Well this is my queue. I hope that sound was someone just falling in the mud.

Cedric draws his sword as he follows Eniarch.

"Wait up for me Mister Wiz," he grunts.

He then calls out loudly as he joggles on, "Hello? Are you alright?"

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-17, 08:18 PM
Cedric is unable to keep pace with Eniarch as the unencumbered wizard rushes ahead. However, some speech is heard from the darkness, but it is too quiet to be intelligible to the party. Then someone shouts outs, perhaps in response to Cedric's call.

@Eniarch
You hear "-mumble- right! Frederick's just fallen over!"

No-one else is able to catch what was shouted.

OOC:
I'm waiting for a mo OOC, just to give anyone who wants to post again a chance to do so. Otherwise, I'll continue tomorrow with the assumption that Eniarch and Cedric keep running. :smallsmile:

NamelessArchon
2010-02-17, 08:57 PM
Eniarch slows to allow Cedric to catch up, and hisses an exhortation for more speed. "Haste, then! Someone needs assistance!"

dariathalon
2010-02-18, 01:33 AM
Ementha looks back at Rann and Franciszek and shrugs her shoulders. Then she begins jogging behind the other two. Her gait is a bit awkward, due to her knobby knees and bowed legs, but she moves in the direction following Eniarch. "Don't you worry deary. Help is on the way," she calls out.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-18, 08:20 AM
As Eniarch and Cedric approach and the darkness recedes, it can be seen that there are three ordinary-looking men before you. Only one of them is standing. He appears to be trying to get his companion up from the ground, where he is sitting, half covered in mud. The third fellow is crouching down nearby, and as the light of coin illuminates a candle lying on the ground, he retrieves this.

"We're all right," says the standing man. "Ish just Frederick. He's very drunk. W-" The man then seems to notice Cedric's drawn sword and stops talking.

"Shpeak for yourshelf," says Frederick. "I'm only a little bit drunk! Anyway, who are theesh-," he turns to look at the newcomers. "Oooh, bright lightsh! Are you a wishard?" He looks at Eniarch expectantly.

Ementha arrives, just as the crouching man stands up. He says nothing, but watches the PCs as he tries to re-light the fallen candle.

NamelessArchon
2010-02-18, 09:27 AM
Bah. Drunken fools. Lucky if they don't wander off the road, get lost, and wake up in a gully with a busted leg. Resting the butt end of his staff upon the ground, Eniarch exhales a breath he hadn't noticed he was holding, and then manages a small smile and a shake of his head at the question. "Me? No. I'm just a simple apothecary that can manage a few tricks of the light. We thought perhaps you gentlemen were in need of assistance, but you seem to be intact."

He shifts his weight from foot to foot and seems to be a little less comfortable with the size of the group now that the immediate need that inspired his urgency has been shown as nothing more than a trick of the light. Perhaps they could tell us how far down the road the source of their libations lies, but we'd do well to be off once again in any case.

Unwitting Pawn
2010-02-18, 07:13 PM
"Yesh," says Frederick. "I'm fine. Shank you, mashter apoth- apothecary." He stands unsteadily and grabs the shoulder of his comrade to steady himself. "Thish ish Harold."

"Hello." Harold gestures a greeting with his free arm. "Well then. Shorry to cause undue alarm," he says, looking from Cedric to Eniarch, then glancing quickly back at Cedric's sword, before looking at Ementha.

@Cedric
The man who has not spoken appears genuinely nervous. He is having difficulty lighting the candle. His nervousness is probably down to the fact that the burly man watching him intently is wielding a drawn sword.

"Well then, Frederick," says Harold. "Let's get you home. And she if you can avoid knocking the candle out of Warren's hand this time."

"It washent my fault. He shouldn't have put hish arm in my way likeshat," states Frederick. "And beshides, he hashent even relighted -ed it yet. Come on Warren! Heloo! Warren! We won't get far in sher dark wishout the candle. Unlesh the wish- oops shorry! -apothecary lends ush one of hish li-" Frederick looks at Eniarch holding the coin, then at Ementha's shining bracelet. "lightsh. Oooh, two lightshes! And two-" He stops as if seeing Ementha for the first time. "Apoth- apothecarysh. Heloo mish! Thatsh a nice brashe-let."

"It won't light," says Warren quietly.

Devereux
2010-02-18, 09:05 PM
Well they seem harmless enough, they don't appear to have malicious intent. Just your average worker really. Seen this plenty of times around, just with different names, thinks Cedric, looking seriously at Warren as he examines him.

Then he face lightens up and he lets out a resounding laugh. Small noctural animals probably flee the surrounding area.

"I'm glad nobody has come to harm, we had thought the worst when you shouted out and carried on. We just hustled ahead of the others in our party. They should be riding up here shortly." He glances back dramatically to look behind him. "Here, perhaps I can help with the candle in the meantime."

Cedric puts his sword into its sheath and gestures to Warren for the candle and flint.

"I am a bit sad you stopped singing. I was going to join in at the chorus. In fact, back in Carrick, I had to help a few fellows find their way home from my bar... HA... I think it even ended with someone bottoms-up in a puddle... NOT ME" Cedric smiles and chuckles. "He was a bit worse for wear than you there, Frederick. You know though I really wouldn't mind a drink after the day I've had. How far do I have to go to get a decent one around here?"

I had hoped to work an opportunity for carousing now that I have a somewhat more appropriate audience. However, short of literally writing an <insert carousing joke or buddy-buddy statement here> block, I opted for a slight reminisce which may not really fit the bill. I think this is sort of what I was getting at with my OOC questions earlier :smallredface: