PDA

View Full Version : Xenos, Heresy and Robots, Oh My!: Let's Play Galatic Civilisations 2!

xp194
2009-11-27, 09:01 PM
Not wishing to steal Cubey's thunder or anything, but his LP of GalCiv is nearing it's end, and, having recently purchased the game, I thought I'd give it a go. From a slightly differant approach.

I.E. Total Galactic Conquest or Bust! Along the way, we'll have to deal with many hardships. But we will prevail, because our faith in the Emporer is strong!

Yeh. We'll be playing as these guys:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/b/bd/Imperial_eagle.jpg

And this is our Glorious Political Officer Leader, Commisar Hat!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2DSAvWYeGWs/R-KMwu6dwmI/AAAAAAAAABE/IYwW7osw9n8/S254/CommissarHardin.jpg
Do not make fun of his name. Making fun of the Commisar's name is Heresy. :smallannoyed:

Well, here's the Race Overview Screen:
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-1RaceOverview.jpg

That's pretty much all there is, apart from a few abilities. Basically the Imperium of Man is geared up to kick the crap out of any Xenos Scum that looks the wrong way at us exists. We're starting with important things like Hyperdrive and Galactic Warfare, the sooner to bring the Emporer's divine judgement (read, many lasers/railguns/missiles) to the heretical foe.

The galaxy is a Gigantic one, with numerous suns and planets, but it's uncommon to see a habitable one. Of course, on this scale, there's probably going to be tons of them around, but hey, more people to bring the Message of the Emperor to.

Log Entry: Commissar Hat Starts

The horror...

Standard format for these logs, as indicated by Millennia of Imperial infrastructure states that I must put a date at the start. Trouble is, we don't know what that date is...

I suppose we should start from as near the beginning as possible. We... discovered something amazing, on the dead world of Regina IV. An ancient piece of human technology allowing many ships to share the same warp bubble. What the Cogboys failed to notice was that the device was heavily damaged... Less than 5 hours into the Warp, there was a major malfunction in the unit. Before anyone could react, the ship carrying the unit tore asunder, and the other ships fell prey to the demons in the warp before they could get their shielding up. The Emperor smiled upon the rest of us, it seemed, because 4 ships including my own scout vessel managed to activate theres. Then we hit a strong current and... found ourselves... here.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-3Start.jpg

The Novox, a heavy cruiser was on a direct course with a habitable looking planet. Too damaged to move out of it's collision course, the captain instead decided wisely to slow the descent down to survivable speeds. Emperor knows if cruisers are actually capable of proper surface landing, but the Novox made a nearly flawless touchdown on the western continent of the planet, which we have named "Terra Nova" after the Holy City-Planet of the Imperium.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-4TerraNova.jpg

Rather worringly, the star-charts we have gathered from our short time here do not match any in the Imperial databases contained on the ship. Therefore, we reason that this is new territory. It is our duty to explore this expanse of space and bring the word of the Emperor with us.

If experience back at home taught me anything, it's that Xenos tend to respond best to the Emperor's Word at the business end of a Las Rifle or Bolt Pistol. I immediately got the Cogboys working on ways to bring back online and improve the heavily damaged weaponry we brought back with us. As the single Political Officer on any of the three surviving ships, I assumed command, and took stock of our present situation. The Novox would probably never fly in space again. It was too badly damaged, too expensive to move, and the crew has already begin converting it into living space and the basics for a shipyard. I also commanded them to build a Manufactorum to decrease the build time for future projects. The former troop transport Jagexus was commanded to travel to the second planet in the system and set up an outpost there. It did so without a hitch, and the new planet under our control was named Martia Nova, in honour of the great Adeptus Mechanicus Forge World.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-5MartiaNova.jpg

We've left the soil unturned for now, other than the colony. While the mining barge Ferrous was sent off to build mining stations on the Asteroid field near Martia Nova, I commanded my ship out system, towards a strange object the sensors picked up. It was...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-6Anomaly.jpg
what might have passed for some substance of Slaanesh. We had the ship's psyker look at it, but he came to the conclusion that it wasn't the product of the ruinous powers, but an item of ancient xeno tech that made those that came into contact with it slightly more... reproductive. I ordered the substance transported back to our planets and distributed among our population, then managed to beat the mass rush to the cold showers by executing a random trooper. I love my job. :smallbiggrin:

We continued on our trajectory towards another star system, which we dubbed "Tycho." Sadly, no planets were inhabitable. I ordered a course set for another nearby system, when a message arrived from Terra Nova. Their communications gear was picking up xenos radio traffic... and they were boasting about their 'unique achievement.'

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-8TheWho.jpg

That was conclusive evidence. There is sentient life out there, and it is apparently bold enough to be bragging on about how superior it is. Reminds me of the Emperor-cursed Eldar. Well, they don't know that the Emperor's ears are listening, and even now his hand is preparing to make it's move...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-9EmperorDamnit.jpg

Which is the discovery of another, for our purposes barren star system. Must make mental note to execute one of our survey teams for failing the Emperor's Will. Slacking gits.

Right then. I need willing servants of the Emperor! Another survey team would be good, and I'm sure the Cogboys would appreciate some proper direction as well. Together, we can eradicate the Xenos infestation, gain glory and power, and maybe could return home when we're done! The Emperor Protects!

Thought for the day: When those fine men of the Imperial Guard find themselves in much bother, they call out for close air support - Anonymous

(xp194 disclaimer: first of all, it might be a good idea not to expect regular updates, as I'm inundated with work at the moment. Also, I apologise for bits of 40k canon I've got wrong/horribly wrong, as I'm not hugely familiar with it, having only read a few of the novels and lots of internet articles. And finally... your input is appreciated! I tend to be kind of rubbish at these sort of games so having some advisors would be incredibly handy! :-D Just ask if you want to sign up, and feel free to write logs for your guy. Happy hunting! - xp194)

Edit: Quite literally, right after I finished posting this and checked the forum, I discovered Cubey just finished his playthrough, and was pondering playing another one at some point. I kinda got there first, and now I'm feeling kinda bad about that, being the new guy and all. But still! Cubey, you inspired me to start this and I can only hope it achieves a fraction of the greatness of your masterpiece! :smallbiggrin:...

No hard feelings, right? :smalleek:

Cubey
2009-11-27, 09:06 PM
Actually, my LP is kinda finished.

A x2 AND a x4 farming tile on a homeworld? What a horrible waste... although x4 farming tends to be a waste most of the time anyway.

What tech tree are you using?

xp194
2009-11-28, 06:37 PM
What tech tree are you using?

Minor Race's. Probably gonna bite me in the ass big-time later, but the Imperials never really struck me as an 'advanced' race much because they based it all on old stuff.

But hey. Everything going horribly wrong makes for the fun times!

Well, I messed up taking the screenshots for this update, and due to using paint to save the images in (I can't use the ctrl + prt scrn shortcut ingame for some reason), I've lost the bottom half of a few of the image. Nothing too bad, the main action is still there in the top, but it's a bit annoying all the same.

Commissar Hat's Log, entry 2:

Empty. All the space around us is empty. Oh sure, there are planets and asteroids, but all of them are unsuitable for supporting human life. I can honestly say I've never been to such an Emperor forsaken sector in all my days. Wait, we've got a report coming in...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-10firststatusscreen.jpg

Wait, so you're telling me that we're the greatest race in the galaxy purely because we haven't met anyone else? Emperor help me... Shoot the surveyers. In the legs.

The system of Solace is... empty. Like every other one apart from our own. This is getting depressing. From now on, I'm going to stop jotting down systems of no importance, because there's loads of them from what we can see.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-11emptyagain.jpg

The situation is starting to look very grim. Our 'corner' of the Galaxy at present is very small, not connected to the main mass of stars except through a bottle neck of stars that would be very defensible if anyone else was parked there. Still, the Emperor will guide us to victory in the end, I'm sure.

We picked up something strange on the scanners... further analysis showed it was basically pure concentrated... influence.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-12finallysomethinginteresti.jpg

"You mean it's... mind control?" I asked one of the Psykers.

"In layman's terms yes. We can use it to spread culture and ideas to others. Somehow. We aren't sure of the details yet."

"Details shmetails. The Emperor has seen fit to provide us with a weapon capable of dominating the hearts and minds of others! We must build a station on it immediately, and begin mining it!"

"As you command, Commissar."

It might be considered heresy to some, but weaponising culture seems like a good idea. The Emperor always needs More servants... Well, it can serve secondary to our main campaign of "Suffer not the Unclean to live." In any case, willing to pull out all the stops to claim the most interesting thing we'd found in weeks, I ordered and paid for completly up front, a station construction ship.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-13ConstructionShip.jpg

I was jubilant until I was told that it had been paid for out of my 'personal' stash of funds due to lack of money. That lowered both my mood and the temperature of my cabin. However, before I could summirarily execute those responsible, we recieved a signal. From a Xenos ship.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-14Uhoh.jpg

We hadn't bothered looking through our recorded xeno broadcasts in order to try and translate them, but now I'm thinking we should at some point for two reasons. The first is the "Know thine Enemy" which has served strategists well for millenia, and the second is that we have no frame of referance for the broadcast. Was it a threat? A Greeting? Maybe even a warning? I mean, heck, we have translators and diplomats at home, when it's not worth sending the Guard in immediately. Maybe we'll look into it. I ordered a full scan of the ship before it left our sensor range.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-15SnathiScout.jpg

Unarmed, built for speed and detecting. A scout ship, much like our own flagship. They can't have been threatening us with that, right? But their eyes looked so evil!

We recieved word that the mining station had been completed. The first good bit of expansionist news since Martia Nova. Despite any reports you might hear to the contrary, I did not do a 'happy dance' upon learning this. Anyone caught spreading that rumor will be shot. :smallannoyed:

My jubilation went higher, then was shot down, when it was reported that in another system we had discovered a Class 13 planet. I was about to send another order back to our shipyards for another colony ship, costs be damned, when they broke the bad news. The surface of the planet was highly radioactive, enough to kill a man as soon as he stepped off the transport. I didn't shoot anyone for this failure because I just wanted to cry,
truth be told. If the Emperor has a sense of humour, it's not a very good one.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-18Frak.jpg

Suddenly, more Xenos! Once again, completely unintelligible, but unlike the last one which were small and fluffy, these were robots, that just oozed pure evil and contempt for organic life. What was even more disturbing was that we didn't spot the ship that relayed the message, whatever it was.

I have ordered a return to Terra Nova. We need to come to a descision about what to do with these Xenos that we have encountered. Also, the Cogboys reported that they're about 3 weeks away from getting our weapons towards a workable state, and are requesting that we give them a catagory to focus on, that we might improve on the designs. The choices they've given us are:
1. Railguns
2. Lasers
3. Missiles

I like the sound of railguns (Nothing like delivering the Emperor's Justice through a few hundred tons of titanium travelling at relativistic speeds) but I'd like to hear any pros and cons of the others. I may be slightly mad with power, but I'm not a dictator!

Also, we have compiled a general map of the things we found during our few months or so of reconnasiance:

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-19ExploredSpace.jpg

I've already said it once... there's basically nothing of interest around us, apart from the influence resource and that class 13 planet. The situation really is looking grim.

Oh, and the Cogboys have been monitering radio traffic from the other civilisations and have managed to filter them to the extent that they have a fairly good idea where the major ones are located.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-20EstimatedXenosLocations.jpg

We are the dark green blob in the lower left corner. Pretty much directly between us and the rest of the galaxy is that robot race we met earlier. No sign of the fuzzy abominations though. Prehaps I overestimated their position in the galaxy. I hope.

Thought for the Day: "Tactical Genius, hurrrrr." Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed

(So Yeh. The nearest races to our starting point are the Snathi and the Yor. And there's like, no planets to colonise. What's more, the Yor are positioned nicely to prevent an easy expansion towards the rest of the galaxy. Which presents us with a dilemna. Do we research translation and diplomacy fast like and sweet talk our way into surviving, or concentrate on military and try to crush them? I'm undecided.)

Edit: Apparently, I've played a bit too much Star Control 2 and referred to the Snathi as Spathi. Totally differant, and fixed now.

The_JJ
2009-11-28, 06:41 PM
Railgun them to death. Pronto.

Flickerdart
2009-11-28, 06:54 PM
The sooner you start killing the Yor, the faster you'll be done.

Vitruviansquid
2009-11-28, 06:56 PM
Lasers are the obvious choice. Trading less power for more guns is the Imperial way!

RationalGoblin
2009-11-28, 07:00 PM
Railgun them to death. Pronto.

Agreed, the Yor are bad news.. railgun the heretic/xenos/whatever.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-11-28, 07:07 PM
Thought of the day: Lasers kick ass. -anonymous guardsman

There is only one way to deal with the Xenos scum, Commisar! They are to be eliminated as the greatest threat to the Glory of the Empire that they are.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-11-28, 09:42 PM
Wow. The RNG really screwed you over on the initial colony rush. That many systems and not a single habitable world? Ouch.

Anyway I say missiles tend to be pretty good. The AI doesn't pick that one too often. So unless you have the strongest and most advanced military in the early game, the AI won't pick point defense as their primary defense tech. You'll be going up against armor or shields.

Dark Faun
2009-11-29, 07:24 AM
Do we research translation and diplomacy fast like and sweet talk our way into surviving, or concentrate on military and try to crush them?
Are you playing the xenos loving sissies? No, you're playing the Imperium. Crush them. Without mercy. Laugh about it. Execute some random guardsman while doing it for kicks and giggles.

I'd advise to go for lasers for fluff reasons. Railguns and missiles, but especially railguns, scream Tau.

Also, from your Let's Play and Cubey's, it seems it's the same robot telling you about technologies whichever race you are. I'm disappointed. I expected different scientists for different races.

All in all, nice LP and I'm looking forward to more from you. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2009-11-29, 09:56 AM
Also, from your Let's Play and Cubey's, it seems it's the same robot telling you about technologies whichever race you are. I'm disappointed. I expected different scientists for different races.
The robot depends on alignment. I figure the Imperium will swing Evil, which Cubey never did, so you'll get to see the third robot.

xp194
2009-11-29, 11:52 AM

The Terran Alliance have a differant set of 3 robots, I think mainly because they're the race you play the campaign as.

And, yeh. The Imperium will in all likelyhood be evil. They my be considered the good guys in 40k, but it's because everything else in the setting is so grimdark, they come off as one of the betters.

Even Tau have a sinister side to them (Mind control, concentration camps, etc)

All in all, nice LP and I'm looking forward to more from you.
Why thank you! :smallsmile:

Dark Faun
2009-11-29, 04:51 PM
You're welcome. :smallsmile:

Maybe Master of Orion II spoiled me, with three different people for each race depending how you acquired the technology (research, conquest or espionage), but I find it disappointing. At least the Terran Alliance shows some originality.

Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to Commissar Hat's reaction to fellow humans... who don't worship the Emperor. :smallwink:

Cubey
2009-11-29, 05:28 PM
The robots depend on alignment, and maybe on whether you play as a human-like race or not.

xp194
2009-11-29, 07:51 PM
Bonus round!

For those that wish to enlist, I have come up with an apptitude test, testing your faith in the Holy Emperor and ways on which to deal with beings that don't believe in him.

1. What is the proper pronounciation of Emperor?
a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

2. What is the best way to purge the unbeliever?
a. Fire
b. Tank Rush
c. What's so bad about not believing anyway?

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated
c. Hugged :-3

4. The Commissar's orders are?
a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong

5. What is the battle cry that should be on the lips of any charging soldier?
a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!
c. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

6. Armoured Personel Carriers are?
a. Sacred to the Machine Spirit and are to be prayed for
b. Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off
c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

7. If you hear voices in your head promising you great power, you?
a. Immediately turn yourself in to the Inquisition
b. Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all.
c. Contact the nearest cabal of cultists for advice

8. Exterminatus is?
a. A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence
b. A really great thing to watch
c. OhSlaaneshwhyistheskyburningahohgodsmyuncleanskin

If you answered mostly a, congratulations! You are pious and well versed enough to be drafted into my command crew! If you picked mostly b, well, you're a good person, but your faith maybe could use a little trail by fire. Deckhands, soldiers, etc. If you answered mostly cs though...

*BLAM*

The_JJ
2009-11-29, 08:22 PM

b. Emprah

a. Fire

3. Xenos are to be?
b. Defeated and then enslaved so we might use their work to build more xeno killing weapons.

a. Law Because he has a gun.

a. For the Emperor!

b. Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off

b. Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all. The drugs'll wear of eventually

8. Exterminatus is?

If you answered mostly a, congratulations! You are pious and well versed enough to be drafted into my command crew! If you picked mostly b, well, you're a good person, but your faith maybe could use a little trail by fire. Deckhands, soldiers, etc. If you answered mostly cs though...

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-11-29, 08:27 PM
a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated

a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

8. Exterminatus is?
a. A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence

Thought of the day: Excellence is a Divine Gift.

Vitruviansquid
2009-11-29, 09:23 PM
Xenos: If having frictionless clothing (or similar trade good) is wrong, then I don't want to know what's right. :smalltongue:

Cubey
2009-11-29, 09:40 PM
I answered the questionnaire in a slightly modified order.

Emperor

Fire

3. Xenos are to be?
Exterminated

Law

For the Emperor!

Immediately turn yourself in to the Inquisition.

8. Exterminatus is?
A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence.

METAL BAAAWKSEEEEES!

One of these answers is not alike the others.

Aragehaor
2009-11-30, 12:41 AM
Emp-er-or

Fire! Fire and death! death and fire!

3. Xenos are to be?
Exterminated

Law

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! For the emperor!

Damn useful way of getting around, but if it catches fire, I'm not going to stop you from getting off

Ignore it. Sticks and Stones and all.

8. Exterminatus is?

Raroy
2009-11-30, 12:57 AM
Bonus round!

For those that wish to enlist, I have come up with an apptitude test, testing your faith in the Holy Emperor and ways on which to deal with beings that don't believe in him.

a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

b

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush

b

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated

c

a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong

b

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!

a

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

c

b

8. Exterminatus is?

a

*BLAM*

Can I bez in teh army plz? A mixed bag averages out to bs anyway....

Selrahc
2009-11-30, 01:28 AM
I'd advise to go for lasers for fluff reasons. Railguns and missiles, but especially railguns, scream Tau.

Imperial ships actually seem to have mix of missiles and lasers as their big guns. They do deploy railguns as well, although that technology seems to be limited to point defence and close range fire.

It certainly wouldn't out of character for the imperium to have strong missile technology. Most of their planet killers are based around missile systems rather than death star style lasers.

Also: I answered mostly C's on the questionnaire. Which means I am the perfect candidate for head of the Inquisition. :smallwink:

Saurus33
2009-11-30, 02:42 AM
Say.... might I be the resident techpriest/servant of the Omnissiah?

I figure a Magos Genetor would be useful if you want to colonise death worlds.

xp194
2009-11-30, 07:09 PM
Commissar Hat's Log Entry 3:

First off, before I recount the events of the last few months, I am proud to announce the following placings of people within our fragment of the Imperium!

Pilot: The_JJ. Once flew my Flagship but has been assigned elsewhere which I'll detail later

Inquisitor: Even_Human. Currently placed on Terra Nova trying to figure out why there is so much dissatisfaction

Advisor: Cubey. Vitally important role you have too :smallbiggrin:

Priest: Aragehaor. Do good work keepin' us pious :smallamused:

Sargeant Raroy. Is a Sargeant. Do you need to know more?

Inquisitor's 'Assitant': Selrahc. Position was already filled, but you're still helping :smallwink:

Magos Saurus33. Representative of the Ordo Mechanicus and Minister of Lasers.

I would like to thank those that applied and hope you find great joy in your Holy Work. Feel free to write in and tell us about your experiences, and you might get a Cookie. Not from me, you understand. The Emperor. He likes cookies.

Now
With that out of the way, I will move on to the events of the last year or so. I am pleased to report that things are starting to look optimistic again. Just about.

While the twin threats of fluffiness and metal are still there, our economic situation is pretty much on the up and up.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-21FirstSchola.jpg

The first Research Schola was ordered to be built on Terra Nova. This and the Manafactorum will pretty much be where the cogboys live now. Don't worry, they enjoy their work. I think.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-22MartiaManafactorum.jpg
Moving on, Martia Nova has a Manafactorum being constructed as well. Still a bit of a far cry from it's Forge World namesake but it's a start.

http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/?action=view&current=Galciv2-23Frakyeah.jpg

Speaking of which, the Cogboys are now done assesing what the weapons need to do, which I would have thought was obvious but if you try and tell them that, they go into a sulk and nothing gets done. Better to let them do it their way than no way at all, I suppose.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-24HOWLONG.jpg

Then intend on having a particle beam ready before they more onto more intensive laser research, which was the eventually decided to be the direction to head down.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-25planetwaitdammit.jpg

We found the homeworld of the furry xenos. We will make sure to pay it a second visit when our lasers arrive... *smash* Guardsman? Did you just knock over my potted plant? You did? *BLAM*

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-26moarplanets.jpg

Ahem. In other news, we discovered another radioactive planet. And a Barren one. I decided to order a bunch of guardsmen down to the radioactive planet anyway 'just to be sure' The lone survivor had a tumor the size of his head on his arm. I had to shoot him for mercy's sake.

I wonder if it's a bad thing that I love this job so much?

I was still pondering this a few weeks later when a breathless member of the bridge crew stumbled into my quarters.

"Sir, we found a planet! Class 6 sir."

I stared at him for ages.

"And?" I asked, "The downside is?"

"There isn't one sir! Uninhabited, and perfectly colonisable!"

"Let me see that..."

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-27YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.jpg

The captain of the ship later told me that my cry of "OH THANK THE EMPEROR, YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!" could be heard throughout the ship. I'm not ashamed.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-29Excellent.jpg

It's the best bit of news I've had in months and I personally payed out of my funds to get a Colony ship built and sent off on the 18 week trip there. I think we're going to need better engines soon.

I also got invited to attend this "United Planets" thing. Normal Imperial procedure dictates that the answer to this be death by Exterminatus, but I am very mindful of the fact we only have two, soon to be three planets, and no combat worthy craft. I decided to play along for now...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-30Wellthisisfair.jpg

So apparently one of the rules of this thing is that a new spacefaring nation is not exposed to aliens they haven't met yet. Apparently, the robotic Xeno's enigmatic transmission was what passed for first contact around here, and I found myself sitting opposite one of the "Yor Collective" as they called themselves.

On the agenda the matter of was which of us was going to have the 'prestige' of hosting the Intergalatic Olympiads. I was about let the Yor take their sporting events and leave when I noticed that the hosting race got 20 billion credits a week in increased trade. Now, I have to say, we are rather strapped for cash. Every few weeks I'm having to make adjustments to taxation and budget to keep us in the black. So you can probably guess this sounded... interesting to me. There was one problem. The Yor, being a bigger race, had more votes than we did. Obviously they'd want the cash for themselves, being the greedy xenos that they are. But the Imperium never backs down from a battle, and I submitted our vote for us to hold the games, fully expecting to lose.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-31Waitwhat.jpg

In a completely unforeseen twist, they voted for us as well! An extra 20bcr in the account each week for a year! But I have to ask... what are they planning for us? Are they trying to be kind to us? Or do they have some ulterior motive that is of yet hidden to us? Either way, they shouldn't expect us to be thankful later. We will crush them. It's just a matter of time.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-32QuarterlyReport.jpg

And the new income couldn't have come at a better time. The satisfaction of the citizenship was at an all time low due to me raising taxes to be able to afford faster research for lasers. With the new cash, I was able to lay the taxes off somewhat...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-33Finances.jpg

...As you can see here.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-34Scholafinished.jpg the Schola on Terra Nova is complete...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-35Xenosboasting.jpg

And the furry xenos who we now gather call themselves the Snafi are boasting about some 'economic capital' or some such. They will be the first to die.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-36Lasersherewecome.jpg

In other, less heretical news, the Cogboys are done asking their Clockwork god what the weapons are supposed to do and have given us a working particle beam. I immediately arrange for it to be incorperated into a secret project...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-37Laserswhoo.jpg

Afte that, I gave them the challenge of seeing if they could make future laser models both smaller and more powerful. They seemed happy about this, and are in the process of investigating.

http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/?action=view&current=Galciv2-38Gettingthere.jpg

Here is our noble colony ship slooowwwllyy making it towards the planet to be colonised. I've yet to think of a name for it.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-39NewStarport.jpg

After the completion of the Manafactorum on Martia Nova, I ordered a starport to be built, hopefully somewhat doubling our ship building capacity for the future.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-40perfectfarmingspot.jpg

There's this lovely spot on Terra Nova, full of green grass, super fertile land, and endless blue sky. In fact, the perfect agricultural spot. So what do you think I did, ladies and gentlemen?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-41UsedasaSchola.jpg

That's right. I stuck a Schola on top of it. Although there's many faults people might find with me, being an enviromentalist isn't one of them.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-42YetmoreXenos.jpg

Yet more Xenos boasting about their 'achievements'

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-43MONEY.jpg

And an away part found a bunch of artifacts that became converted into credits. Promotions to that team!

Remember that secret project I talked about earlier?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-44FighterComplete.jpg

It's finished.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-45TheCadia.jpg

Meet the Lasback Fighter Mark 1. The first ship of our section of the Imperium to have a weapon. Or, more aptly, as a Cogboy working on it put it, "It's a gun with a fighter attached to it." The gun quite literally takes up the bulk of the ships systems. There was no room to fit more engines or scanners or anything. It's basic, but hopefully, it'll be what we need for now. The first ship has been christened the Cadia, and I requested that The_JJ fly it. He has served well as my flagship's pilot for a while now, so he might appreciate a change of pace.

Incidentally, the position of Flagship pilot is still open if anyone can stand having me wave a gun around the bridge in the morning threatening to shoot anyone untill I've had some Tanna or Recaff.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-47StarportComplete.jpg

Martia Nova's shipyard is complete. Things are indeed looking up

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-46Terrans.jpg

Wait... what...? Humans...? It can't be. Surely? I guess we'll have to wait to find out...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-48SpiritColonised.jpg

The planet is colonised. Realising I hadn't thought of a name yet, I stayed up through the night scribbling ideas down. Unforetunately, I might have overdone the celebratory Amasac and woke up in the morning to find the paper gone. Apparently, the officer who picked it up had mistaken my sketching down of 'Spirit,' intended as a concept to inspire my brain to think along similar lines, as the actual name. The planet Spirit. Oh well, I guess I can choose to change it later if I feel like it.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-50Altarians.jpg

More Xenos, more boasts... although these sounded as similar to us as the Terrans did. Maybe it'd be in our interests to try and contact them?

Well, it's been busy. Like heck. Like I said at the beginning of the entry, things really are looking up for us. Now, truly do I feel the Emperor smiling on us, guiding us. We will make the right decisions as guided by his right hand. We will prevail.

Thought for the Day: Those who fight monsters might become monsters: Unattributed.

Well, yeh. Things are looking good. First military ship and all, a new colony. What's worrying me is the Planetary Council episode. Why did the Yor vote for us to essentially get a free bonus of cash every turn when they could easily have taken it for themselves? I suspect they're trying to 'fatten' me up a bit, to make a juicier target later on. Incidentally, this is what I love about Galciv so far. A bad AI might have made the same decision for a stupid reason. A good AI might have made the opposite decision for good reasons. Galciv's AI probably did it because it has a plan. And I am now, if not afraid, mildly paranoid. This is probably unique in a strategy game.

xp194 out (And feel free to sign up/write bits about your character's jobs and daily lives! :smallwink:)

edit: Fixed broken picture links, I hope

The_JJ
2009-11-30, 07:39 PM
Pilots log:
Thank the Emperor for this gift of a machine, the better to kill the xenos. More specifically, I thank his servent, the Commisar Hat, for selecting me for this duty. Death to the xeno scum.

The_JJ's secret log:
Finally something with a gun... to bad it's this little tin can. No armor and no engines.

We're going to need a lot more of these...

Hell, let's go strafe the local wildlife. They're xeno, right? Whatever, they burn nice when shot.

Saurus33
2009-11-30, 07:56 PM
Log of Magos Saurus, Minister for Lasers:

Success!

Here, in this unknown, mostly uninhabitable void, we are so far behind compared to the mighty forge-worlds of the known galaxy. We lack much of the sacred technology needed to create that which we need; but we have persevered.

Praise to the Machine God!

Using radioactive materials from that accursed death-world, we have created a relatively simple particle beam weapon. It is not a true laser, but many of the technologies and concepts recreated here will be useful in later research.

The Yor, as they call themselves... They are interesting. Are they kin to the Iron Men, or are they biological intelligences transplanted into machine bodies, beings like the Necrons?

Or are they simply squishy meat creatures in fancy suits?

It is a dilemma, and one I hope to solve by deconstructing some of their athletes when they come into our space for this Galactic Olympiad.

"We are sorry, but one of your transports seems to not have arrived. Perhaps next time you could try building up the hull a little?"

Mwahahahahahaha!

The_JJ
2009-11-30, 08:39 PM
The_JJ's secret log:
Odd. That cogboy who fitted this thing with the lasers been hanging around and dropping hints about an 'accident' he 'most certainly, definaltely doesn't want to happy to those xeno scum.'
And laughing evilly.
I think he wants me to shoot something. I don't know why these people dance around so much. If they want me to make something burn, die, or explode, all they gotta do is ask.

Dark Faun
2009-12-01, 07:29 AM
Some images aren't working, either because they're broken or because you forgot to use image tags.

And there are other humans in the galaxy. I'm happy. This promises much tension. :smallwink:

"It's a gun with a fighter attached to it" sums up the Imperium's philosophy perfectly. :smallbiggrin:

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-12-01, 09:14 AM
Log of Inquisitor E. Ven Human:

Commisar Hat called me to his quarters today. There were rumours of unrest and discontent in Terra Nova. I immediately suggested Exterminatus. The Commisar assured me that we could not afford to lose a world as valuable as Terra Nova, and that we did not possess Exterminatus-capable ships in any case. I noted that the latter reason was Heresy. Commisar Hat noted that destroying a world named after the Most Holy Terra was also Heresy. Not wishing to enter a theological debate I acknowledged the Commisar's point and left. There was Heresy on Terra Nova. I could smell it. Soon I would smell it burn.

Thought of the Day: The executions will continue until approval improves.

Tome
2009-12-01, 09:48 AM
Spoiler'd for length.

Bonus round!

a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

There's no excuse for bad grammar.

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush

You left out "d. overly complicated plot".

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated

And enslaved, for the greater glory of Tzeentch the Emperor, of course.

a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong

Or obstacles. As dictated by the whims of Tzeentch and my inevitable betrayal the Emperor.

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!

If you must shout something as you charge into oncoming artillery fire, why bother being consistent? Use all of them, if you get the chance.

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

The only option that didn't sound like an Ork or one of those Techpriests cultists.

Are you even trying with this one? Only the servants of Khorne would be so foolish. Assuming they can read.

8. Exterminatus is?

It really is. Particularly when the only heresy in the system is... well. You know.

*BLAM*

Shall I get to my station then? I'm sure I can find a way to sabotage the fools further the glory of the Emperor from the comm station.

xp194
2009-12-02, 02:17 AM
Shall I get to my station then? I'm sure I can find a way to sabotage the fools further the glory of the Emperor from the comm station.

Sure, go ahead. It might be a few days or so till next update though. Lotsa work to do ._.

Raroy
2009-12-02, 01:14 PM
Sergeant Raroy's Log:

I've been practicing my aiming with my laspistol with metal cans. Good news! The metal can overcrowding problem has been solved! Which is even more impressive considering we never even had a metal can problem in the first place.

I haven't done anything since I came a long. Getting lost in an unknown galaxy filled with xeno scum is a lot less eventful then you would think.

Commissar Hat, eccentric fellow. Yes, the Emperor has truly blessed us with such a great leader to lead us in these times of crisis.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-12-02, 02:05 PM
Hey how did you pull up the galaxy map like that? All i ever see is that minimap in the bottom corner.

factotum
2009-12-02, 03:47 PM
Hey how did you pull up the galaxy map like that? All i ever see is that minimap in the bottom corner.

Like what? If you mean the map with all the icons instead of graphical planets, that happens if you just zoom out the main map view far enough using the middle mouse button. Alternatively, if you mean the galaxy map showing how much of the galaxy everyone owns right now, that's the little triangular button to the left of the minimap.

xp194
2009-12-02, 07:16 PM
I haven't done anything since I came a long. Getting lost in an unknown galaxy filled with xeno scum is a lot less eventful then you would think.

Sounds a bit unImperialy to say this, but I'm glad about the not much in the way of war happening. Waiting is the best part, the worst is the melee after it. :-p

tribble
2009-12-02, 11:23 PM
at least one of the picture URLs has part of it censored.

xp194
2009-12-04, 03:17 PM
If it's the one I think it is from looking at the, it's not a hugely important, just an image showing the next research item which was going down the laser path anyway.

Mind giving me the exact link or line that precedes the broken picture so I can pinpoint it and fix it?

Aragehaor
2009-12-04, 05:32 PM
Whoops, didnt even notice you updated all the way back then... :smallredface:

ill get around to writing a log later today.

EDIT:

Mind giving me the exact link or line that precedes the broken picture so I can pinpoint it and fix it?

"Then intend on having a particle beam ready before they more onto more intensive laser research, which was the eventually decided to be the direction to head down.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-25planetwait****.jpg

We found the homeworld of the furry xenos. We will make sure to pay it a second visit when our lasers arrive... *smash* Guardsman? Did you just knock over my potted plant? You did? *BLAM*"

There, the exact quote of what i think is the broken picture (Unless theres some other broken picture i missed...:smallconfused:)

xp194
2009-12-04, 06:15 PM
Okay, fixed now. I was a little vocal in expressing my dissapointment in the occurence while naming the file and completely failed to notice photobucket carried it on through, hence being picked up by the filter. Said file now replaced with less cursing so should work fine

tribble
2009-12-04, 06:41 PM
Okay, fixed now. I was a little vocal in expressing my dissapointment in the occurence while naming the file and completely failed to notice photobucket carried it on through, hence being picked up by the filter. Said file now replaced with less cursing so should work fine

yep, the Picture works.

Mando Knight
2009-12-04, 11:39 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-36Lasersherewecome.jpg

Preemptive extermination is self-defense. Didn't the doctor ever tell you "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?"

xp194
2009-12-08, 02:24 AM
I messed up the captures again and three images have the bottoms sliced off. Oh well, the important stuff, as ever, is still intact.

Commisar Hat's Log Entry 4:

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-51MoarDakka.jpg

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-51MoarLaser.jpg

More research finished, and we will soon have reasonablish sized guns now. This is very promising indeed.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-51MoarPlanet.jpg

Another habitable planet has been discovered and a Colony Ship been ordered to be constructed.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-54TerranEcoCapital.jpg

The 'Terrans' were jabbering on the long range about some Economic capital they've built. I'd love the Techpriests to allow us to send our own messages but apparently the technology isn't there yet.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-55SimplytheBest.jpg

After bribing an official from the Council of Planets with his life, I got him to proclaim us the mightest race we knew. Common knowledge of course, but it feels oh so good. (xp194: This doesn't last for long. It's only because of the Cadia that we got it)

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-56EmperorsGrace.jpg

And here we have the Colony Ship 'Emperor's Grace' enroute to our soon to be new planet. Majestic sight, no?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-57HellYeah.jpg

Lasers are now ready. While they are still too big to have more that one of on a Lasback, there is now more room for additional systems.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-58Needsmorepower.jpg

I set the Cogboys working on improved FTL Drives. Interesting fact, but Warp drives don't appear to work here. Magos Saurus mentioned something about the fabric of space-time being stronger here. Instead of ripping a hole through it, it just gets bent. Still means we travel faster than light, but a lot slower. At least there's the plus side of not being eaten by the Ruinous Powers along the way. *makes sign of the Aquila*

Speaking of which, there hasn't been anything out of the pyskers about bad dreams or other heretical blasphemy. It's almost as if the forces of Chaos don't exist here. This galaxy does make up for it, though, with the inordinate amount of Xenos so far.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-59Whut.jpg

Speaking of Xenos... Some of the furry ones landed with a ship full of... stuff. After a communications breakdown, because neither party understood the other, I had them detained, and sent to the Inquisition for questioning. I emphasised it should be done lightly for now, as, despite the fact we have a fighter, we only have one fighter. We aren't equipped for war just yet.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-60NoJustno.jpg

The year came and went pretty quickly. The Galactic Olympiads were a great success, despite rumors of Athletes going missing. Sadly, they came to an end, and with them went that glorius 20bcr a week income. This year's proposal was that Allies should gain benefits from each other's Starbases. I disgreed with it on two principles

1. No way are those filthy Xenos going to use our holy structures and
2. I wasn't exactly planning on making alliances anyway.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-61wellplayedMrRobot.jpg

Once again, the Collective agreed with me.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-62Fastershipsgo.jpg

We've started dubbing the FTL drives Hyperdrives. It's what the rest of the galaxy seem to use, and we can't spend more research budget to think of a better name.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-63Artificalgrav.jpg

I was about to order for more lasers, but a newer piece of research caught my eye... Artificial Gravity.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-64Imfloatin.jpg

True to my dictatorish ways, I ordered the first prototype installed in my office, where I spent many a joyful hour bouncing off walls and performing trick-shots on random guardsmen's heads. The Cogboys told me that not only could this be used in civilian applications, but it would pave the way for designing bigger and better ships. I like this gravity stuff.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-65Maekd-fence.jpg

However, there was one hitch. We didn't know how to defend against other craft's weaponry. I got the Cogboys back to working, this time from a defensive point of view.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-66EHNN.jpg

In an attempt to appease the Citizenship of Terra Nova without resorting to Exterminatus, I ordered the Emperor's Holy News Network building built. Along with the news (propoganda), it also airs more than 5000 channels of Imperium approved entertainment. Tune in next Wednesday for the pilot episode of Super Ultra Ultra Marines... In SPACE!

Failure to comply will result in execution.

And here is the Lasback mk2, with new laser and several life support units, to increase it's operative range. Here, I think, the two ships will converge into seperate lines, the Lasbacks being tough but slow defense fighters and the as of yet unnamed class based on the mk2 being long range speedy strike fighters. I am announcing a formal competition to provide the name for the new class of fighter. Winner gets a cookie and one get-out-of-execution-free card.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-68De-fencemaed.jpg

In other news, the Cogboys now have an idea on how to defend against the various types of weaponry that might be thrown against us. They advised against specialising until we had information on what weapons our enemies would be using, especially the Yor. I concurred and got them onto either making our existing engines smaller, or a new set of faster engines.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-69WeFoundthem.jpg

Suddenly, alarms went off all over the Flagship. we'd found the Yor. Or part of them.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-70YorFighterIntelligence.jpg

And we found one of their fighters. They'd gone for lasers as well. Thankfully, they were still on the outdated and over-sized Particle Beam, but it would mean a potential plan in our strategy. Immediately, I organised a meeting with all my advisors.

So, it goes like this, people. We have many options open to us at the moment.

1. More powerful Lasers
2. Research Secondary weapon system, probably missiles
3. Go for the Small Hull Type and build bigger
4. Research Universal Translators, so we can give the Xenos insults they can actually understand.
5. Start building laser defenses
6. Pie

Also, several Naming competitions. One for the Aforementioned second class of fighter, one for the new Lasback Mk2 that's just been built and finally the name of our soon-to-be new Colony. Rewards, as stated above, are cookies and get-out-of-execution-free cards.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-12-08, 08:09 AM
Universal Translators. Then get research treaties (by bribing them with useless techs) out of them to make them a bit hesitant to go to war with you. Exploit the Xenos before you ultimately crush them.

Flickerdart
2009-12-08, 10:25 AM
Yaeh, Translators and then Small hulls. You can't obliterate Xeno scum with only fighters, now can you.

tribble
2009-12-08, 01:18 PM
ship: Corax Class. (Named for the Primarch of the Raven Guard, Corax.)

Planet: New Catachan.

Vitruviansquid
2009-12-08, 01:50 PM
The workhorse ship of your empire should always be named the "Leman Russ." If you research better ships and have a new workhorse, you have to rename that the "Leman Russ" :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-12-08, 03:16 PM
You also need a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!! class, with the first of those ships named Ciaphas Cain.

Aragehaor
2009-12-08, 04:35 PM
First day log will be up sometime this week,

Also.

You also need a HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!! class, with the first of those ships named Ciaphas Cain.

Pick! quickly! Internet or Cookie?! :smalltongue:

(In case it wasnt clear i support this idea more-so then i would supported my own idea!)

Tome
2009-12-08, 06:53 PM
Private Log of Crewman Tome

Commissar Hat seems to be putting a priority on getting our military strength back up to speed. Our fighters are now equipped with flashlights, much like the average member of the Imperial Guard. By Tzeentch the Emperor it'd be a great terrible time for a Daemonic incursion of some sort, I'd love to see them hate to have to try an Exterminatus with one of those. Unfortunately Fortunately the Warp seems non-existent here.

The Commissar has put out a call for suggestions on what we should focus on next. I, personally, favour some sort of translator. At the moment my job seems to be nothing more than hurling insults out into the void the entire day on the off chance that one of the Xenos will actually understand them. I'd much rather be seeing what I can do in the way of securing formal declarations of war. After all, I'm sure the Emperor's glory will prove superior to the Xenos weapons. *Snerk*

In other news, my attempts to convert others of this crew to the worship of Chaos seem to be doing well. The lack of Exterminatus is certainly proving beneficial, to say nothing to the low numbers of Inquisitors currently active. I expect this will not last.

------------------------------

My votes:
1. Universal Translators
2. Bigger Hulls
3. Bigger Guns
4. Terror Star (:smallbiggrin: EXTERMINATUS!!!)

Seconding calls for a 'Russ.

The_JJ
2009-12-08, 07:07 PM
Official pilot's log of the_JJ:

We've located a xeno homeworld. I vote we exterminate them immediatly.
And do we need translators to shoot? No? Then let's get bigger hulls and thus bigger booms and thus more dead xenos.

Private log of the_JJ:

We've located a xeno homeworld. I vote we exterminate them immediatly. I'm getting bored.
And do we need translators to shoot? No? Then let's get bigger hulls and thus bigger booms and thus more dead xenos. Even more important, a little more armor between me and the abyss.

Also, some weird guy came up to me and started talking about Chaos. I'm not joining until he promises me something concrete. Like protection from the Inquisitors. 'Not many' isn't the same as 'not going to shoot idiots who can't keep their mouths shut, and then all their friends, and then everyone they ever talked to, and then everyone their friends talked to, and anyone who talked to anyone who talked to them.'

Saurus33
2009-12-08, 07:10 PM
Log of Magos Saurus, Minister for Lasers:

The holy work is going ahead, but as always there are several new questions raised.

First, why is the Immaterium less connected here? It seems almost as though it has been cut off, or at least stifled.

Which brings me to the second question; Where are we? The presence of humans seems to restrict it to our galaxy at the least, but apart from that I still have no idea.

Another cause for concern: during my deconstruction of some Yor athletes I found what appears to be an alien inscriptionon the inner surface of their metal skulls, but not in the language of the Yor. From the way it is formatted, it appears to be a copyright notice. This, more than anything else, tells me that they were created at some point, in a manner akin to the Iron Men of the Dark Age of Technology.

Was there some alien empire with the resources and technology the equal that of the Imperium in this unknown area of the universe? If so, where are they now?

On a lighter note, research is going well, and the re-creation and re-engineering of our shipboard weapons, not to mention the invention of entirely new ones, is progressing apace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the new technologies angle; I vote for Universal Translators, and then Small Hulls.

xp194
2009-12-12, 10:10 AM
Darnit. I was hoping to do an update today, but the game crashed in the middle of it, meaning I'll have to redo all the screenshots. :-/

And for those that've played this game, what's a good way to keep your population happy? Terra Nova is having... issues with my leadership.

Flickerdart
2009-12-12, 10:17 AM
Darnit. I was hoping to do an update today, but the game crashed in the middle of it, meaning I'll have to redo all the screenshots. :-/

And for those that've played this game, what's a good way to keep your population happy? Terra Nova is having... issues with my leadership.
Keep your population below 20 billion, keep taxes reasonable and build entertainment centres and whatnot.

Tyrrell
2009-12-12, 10:20 AM

Here's my WH40K take on your issue

If your population gets too high the citizens get miserable (I think over 12 billion is asking for trouble edit: trust the good citizen who says 20 I'm working from old memories).

I suggest you send all of your population out on invasion barges and have them take over other worlds. Constant warfare should keep numbers low enough to ensure happiness. (alternately you can keep a handle on max pop by selling your farming upgrades, I've only ever played the base game with no expansions, things may have changed with twilight of the Arnor)

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-12-12, 10:59 AM
16b is optimal for taxes. Higher than that and you end up having to either cut tax rates or build more happiness centers which costs maintanence and coulda had a stock exchange.

factotum
2009-12-12, 04:11 PM
Yeah, 16b is probably about as high as you want it to go--this is why you don't ever build farms on your civilisation capital! Almost makes you wonder why they even bothered including food boosting tiles in the game, to be honest--don't think I've ever used one unless it was only 100%.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-12-12, 06:11 PM
Maybe you could put a farm on it and never upgrade it Spend less on the farms that way I guess... However I never bother with that.

Cubey
2009-12-12, 06:21 PM
Almost makes you wonder why they even bothered including food boosting tiles in the game, to be honest--don't think I've ever used one unless it was only 100%.

I'll let Admiral Ackbar answer that one.
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0262/ack1.jpg

He doesn't want to say it.
Oh well.

Tyrrell
2009-12-13, 10:33 AM
You can fit a lot of folks on to A colony ship or an invasion ship,I've been able to inadvertently push my planets to a state where they couldn't fill the next ship on several occasions when I wasn't being careful. Using a military draft as population control just seems very 40K to me.

xp194
2009-12-17, 12:29 PM
Okay, beginning to regain the will to continue, next update should hopefully be soonish.

I'm not dead yet!

Raroy
2009-12-17, 12:41 PM
I demand war! I've been sitting around for a year and becoming the sharp shooting champion of all time just waiting for war. If I could put war in a tub I would bathe in it! I'd clime a mountain of war and watch the star light war! I need war under the sea, down where it's wetter and better! War!

Also, stop cutting my salary.

Tome
2009-12-17, 03:48 PM
I demand war! I've been sitting around for a year and becoming the sharp shooting champion of all time just waiting for war. If I could put war in a tub I would bathe in it! I'd clime a mountain of war and watch the star light war! I need war under the sea, down where it's wetter and better! War!

Also, stop cutting my salary.

Wait, wait... You get an actual salary? I thought our "salary" was that the Commissar Hat didn't execute us?

Raroy
2009-12-17, 06:15 PM
I'm a sergeant, of course I get a salary. The salary are credits that I can exchange for fabulous prizes! Like food and clothes.

I also can take away necessities from guardsmen. If they talk lip, they can walk around naked and half starved for all I care.

I do this because I love you. Did I say I "love you"? I meant I love fine cuisines and custom uniforms. Which I have and you don't.

Aragehaor
2009-12-17, 07:34 PM
Wait, wait... You get an actual salary? I thought our "salary" was that the Commissar Hat didn't execute us?
(My salary however is quite huge, being a priest and all.)
Here i thought your salary was the chance of possibly* getting selected for Priesthood... The only Job no, Honor any well-thinking citizen of the Imperium would Drive for!

*Not a chance in the universe.

(My salary however is quite huge, being a priest and all.):smalltongue:

xp194
2009-12-22, 12:56 PM
I said I wasn't dead and I meant it!

Commisar Hat's Log, Entry 5:

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-80CivilisationGraveyardSigh.jpg

Sensors picked up what could only be described as the remains of a former civilisation. Remembering how much Techpriests love that sort of thing, I set a course for it. The cogboys held a party in my honour. I feel... touched.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-81YayIon.jpg

During said party, they announced that work on the Ion Engines had been completed. While not anymore powerful than our 'Hyper drive', they are smaller, allowing us to cram more things onto our fighters. I questioned whether or not the pilots needed to breath, because getting rid of Life Support would free up even more. I was given incredulous looks.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-82TranslatorsGo.jpg

In order to hide my embarrasment I decreed that research into a Universal Insulting Machine Doohicky be carried out. A few weeks later, and we had a working prototype (xp194: Forgot to capture the research finished screen. Oh well)

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-84DomoArigatoMistahRoboto.jpg

Immediately I tested it by calling up the Yor and began trading fairly amiable insults with their ambassador. We stopped when we ran out of puns. Hey, I'm not looking to start a war yet. That would be suicide to the extreme. Honest.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-85BiggerShipsahoy.jpg

A few weeks later a message arrived saying that the Cogboys had figured out how to build somewhat bigger ships. Interestingly, I don't remember ordering them to research it. Must've agreed to it in the post-party hangover. (Apparently 10 guardsmen also died due to a lasbolt through the brain during that time period. Co-incidence?)

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-86MaekD-fense.jpg

While our ships had some offensive capability now, there wasn't much in the way of protection for them. With the Yor apparently following the philosphy of Lasers, it was deciding that we look into the possibility of shielding.

Don't ask me how it works.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-87Tradehaus.jpg

More traders from Snathi arrived, and this time with the Universal Translators, I was able to converse with them, under Ordos Xenos supervision.

Seems that they're looking for... Religion is the best I can describe it. I talked to them about the Emperor and his guiding us and they seemed pretty impressed. I smell potential Converts.

Operation Snathi:
1. Exterminatus
1. Bombard them with Religion
2. ???
3. Profit

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-88NewCatachanFounded.jpg

Our newest Colony, New Catachan, has been... er... colonised. Emperor's Props and Fistbumps to citizen Tribble for deciding the name.

Speaking of names, The Lasback mk2 has been renamed as the Cain class (Hero of the Imperium didn't fit) and the first ship of the line is retroactively renamed to be the Ciaphas. EPaFB to Flickerdart for inspiring the naming, even if it didn't fully carry through.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-89PoweredbyLifeforce.jpg

On the ground, exploration teams discovered strange magnetic field generators that could feasibly be used to help with planetary defense. The bad news was that prolonged exposure to the generators resulted in a shortened life-span. The answer was of course, elementary.

To the Warp with health and safety! The Emperor gave us this gift, and all must give up their very lives if necessary in the Emperor's name! And the colonists are only having a few years trimmed off of theirs. So they shouldn't complain.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-90WhootLearning.jpg

Even more amazingly, they also found an ancient library. After the Mechanicus boys had looked at it, they stated that the increased resources of information would boost research productivity in that area by about 700%! I of course immediately ordered a Schola built to capitalise on the resource of knowledge.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-91NewBudgetReport.jpg

The Budget fluctuates wildly from week to week, due to my attempts at appeasing the citizenship and keeping production and research operating at a satisfactory rate. I recently cut all taxes and pulled back production to still operate with the lowerd budget. This should hopefully inspire the citizens to... ahem... reproduce more, meaning more citizens to tax, meaning more income for a lower tax percentage. Genius!

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-92NewSuperSchola.jpg

The 'Super Schola' on New Catachan has been completed. Unlike it's namesake back home, it is looking like it will fast turn into the center of technology and knowledge in this part of the Imperium.

(xp194: I appear to have not taken a screenshot of the Civilisation Graveyard result. It was a 25% boost to our current research project, which was the deflectors. Speaking of which...)

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-93D-fencemaed.jpg

We have shielding! We are no longer thrall to space's whims and lasers. Sort of.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-94ETBuilding4dummies.jpg

The colonists are getting rather annoyed that we're shipping them to far off planets then leaving them too it. Something about non-specialised tools and equipment. I've got the Cogboys looking for solutions, to help then get on their feet faster, and stop clogging my mailbox with complaints.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-95Happynow.jpg

And they came back the next week saying they were done. The way I understand it, colonists will now have tools and equipment tailored to building structures on a virgin planet. I had to shoot a guardsman who started laughing uncontrollably for some reason at that point.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-96Shieldscharging.jpg

And in the pursuit of less space taken up by the defensive measures, I ordered more research done into shielding. Seeing as at the present size we couldn't actually even fit one onto a fighter. Well, we could, but only by removing the laser. Soon they had finished, and I told them to start working on maybe making parts in general smaller

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-97WAR.jpg

Suddenly, War!. The... Drengin? Dregin? Dragon? Drebin? declared war on the Snathi. Don't really see why, they only have one planet and it's right in the middle... of our...

Frak. Frak frak frakkity frak-frak. They'll attack the Snathi through us, and I doubt their high command will mind much if they take a few shots at us as well.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-100Imshrinking.jpg

Miniturisation completed. As a practical jock, the Cogboys remade all my office furniture 10% smaller. Gits.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-101CultureShock.jpg
I've been getting many of these recently, and Culture apparently plays a huge part in this galaxy. I can almost see what the Tau were getting at with that "For the Greater Good" nonsense. If you make your philosophy well known, then people are more minded to join you.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-102OrbitalCommand.jpg

And finally, the Imperium has an Orbital Command Centre on Terra Nova. This is now pretty much my home when I'm planetside, as it's pretty much going to be the hub of any attack or defence attempts made. It's a glorious achievment for the Imperium, and with our new technology, we soon shall be able to put it to good use.

On that not, Commisar Hat, Signing off.

xp194: I'm worried about the Drengin's I doubt they're coming just for the Snathi. Besides, I saw the planet first. I want it! :smallannoyed:

So yeh, tactical suggestions, research focus suggestions, etc are all welcome, as before. Also, keep thinking up names for new colonies! We might not have any more at the moment, but that may change!

factotum
2009-12-22, 01:38 PM
Didn't the Snathi declare war on the Drengin, not the other way round?

xp194
2009-12-22, 02:39 PM
Didn't the Snathi declare war on the Drengin, not the other way round?

(So they did. Still, If the Drengin come down on them, still not good for me)

Citizen Factotum, are you questioning your Commisar? We have a place for people who do that. It's called the Firing Line.

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 03:06 PM
I say we beat the Drengir to the Snathi and off them ourselves.

tribble
2009-12-22, 10:29 PM
here's a list of good, loyal planets in the original imperium:
Brycantia*
Lanorra
Varsavia*
Ectosa
Elusia Prime*
Occludus*
Coralax*
Baal*
Sabatine*
Fenris*
Raikan*
Cretacia*
Chogoris*
Nocturne*
Stygia
Crenax system
Macragge*
Rynn's World*
Deliverance*
Mundus Pyra*
Stermost
Obsidia*
Ultra Mundanus
The Rock*
Ectosa
Kronite
Ran's Eglise
Kaledon
Lanora
Morox
Aten
Mordian
Coronis Agathon
Drask
Aspen
Valhalla
Neo Baku
Boucherin
Drisinta
Canta
Archona
Banna
Jjojos
Vostroya
Ogris Major
Armageddon
Canta
Rassios
Atilla
Macharia
Pintax
Tallarn
Dreadhaven
Loriar
Dreer
Athonos
Somonor
Black Reach
Calderia
Moltova
Lalinta Prime
Myr
Gellephera
Tremert
Birmingham
Chapter planets are marked with an asterisk. cadia and catachan have been excluded, since we already used them.

We should definately look into better scouting vessels, if we aren't prepared the terrans could catch us off guard with a crap-ton of some weapon we don't have defense against because we didn't know they had it. like missles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM&feature=related)

Aragehaor
2009-12-22, 11:18 PM
More traders from Snathi arrived, and this time with the Universal Translators, I was able to converse with them, under Ordos Xenos supervision.

Seems that they're looking for... Religion is the best I can describe it. I talked to them about the Emperor and his guiding us and they seemed pretty impressed. I smell potential Converts.

Operation Snathi:
1. Exterminatus
1. Bombard them with Religion
2. ???
3. Profit

I both approve an disapprove of this.

I approve because having even more people following the empire The Emperor is awesome, (How did i put The empire there instead of the Emperor?)

I disapprove because i now know that we are trading with the xenos instead of Shooting them. :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Saurus33
2009-12-23, 01:59 AM
Log of Magos Saurus

Praise be to the Machine God.

Knowledge! Pure, tasty knowledge! Even if we all died at this very instant (a distinct possibility, with all the xenos and an exterminatus-happy inquisitor roaming around) I would remain pleased with our progress towards rediscovering the most holy technologies.

We owe this mostly to the discovery of materials on New Catachan; they make the process of servitorization far simpler, massively increasing the workforce available to test prototypes and/or subdue test subjects.

On a (minor) negative note, I am almost certain the magnetic defence system erased some of my personal files when I came planetside.

factotum
2009-12-23, 02:37 AM
Citizen Factotum, are you questioning your Commisar? We have a place for people who do that. It's called the Firing Line.

Of course not! I was questioning the accuracy of the second-hand reports written by this xp194 fellah. :smallwink:

xp194
2009-12-23, 06:11 AM
I see. He will have to be executed for this fallicy.

xp194: Wait, what? I'm the one organising this! You can't shoot me, you're a fictional...

*BLAM*

TIME PARADOX!

tribble
2009-12-23, 08:52 PM
If you've found the snathi, why aren't they at the UN?

factotum
2009-12-24, 02:39 AM
If you've found the snathi, why aren't they at the UN?

They're a minor race and minor races never get UN representation.

Tome
2009-12-24, 03:46 AM
Private Log of Crewman Tome

Finally! We have translators! Now the xenos can understand the insults I'm hurling at them.

Unfortunately, I have now realised a subtle flaw in my master plan to sabotage aid the actions of the Imperium in this sector. Mostly it's that official policy is hurling insults at the xenos coupled with mindless aggression. Which makes my efforts somewhat redundant. The Commissar even stopped by to join in on the insult hurling. Said I was doing a good job. Must look for a new strategy.

In other news, I'm getting little response for all my attempts to subvert bolster the morale of the other crew. Maybe I should try handing out leaflets? Worth a try.

---------------------------------------------------

I say we go for more guns, bigger hulls and more Logistics. And then Terror Stars. EXTERMINATUS!!!

Tyrrell
2009-12-31, 12:44 PM
What, pray tell, does an orbital command center do?

tribble
2009-12-31, 02:03 PM
Hey, XP, you still gonna keep this updating or what?

factotum
2009-12-31, 06:51 PM
What, pray tell, does an orbital command center do?

Allows all the ships in orbit around a planet to act as a fleet when defending against attack.

Toric
2010-01-02, 02:53 AM
Toric reporting for duty! Just stick me wherever I'm needed. Propulsion development, foreign relations (A.K.A. May the Emperor's wrath descend upon these xenos and their foul rock soon, preferably after I've evacuated), target practice, I'd even proudly serve as a flagship pilot to replace The_JJ.

a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush
d. Dismemberment followed by displaying the unbeliever in several locations or cleansing the repentant with holy flame.

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated

a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!
d. In the name of Hat!

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

c. Contact the nearest cabal of cultists for advice and THEN turn yourself in to the Inquisition

8. Exterminatus is?

As for the Snathi vs. Drengin, I heartily vote to sit back and watch the fireworks poised to swoop in and feast upon either the crippled defender or what's left of the invading force.

Tyrrell
2010-01-02, 03:58 PM
Allows all the ships in orbit around a planet to act as a fleet when defending against attack.

So, not real useful unless Commissar hat is doing so poorly that the Xenos can attack our capitol. :smallfrown:

tribble
2010-01-02, 06:32 PM
So, not real useful unless Commissar hat is doing so poorly that the Xenos can attack our capitol. :smallfrown:

he is playing with a severe disadvantage here, since he's using a minor race. might be a good investment.

xp194
2010-01-03, 05:49 AM
Hey, XP, you still gonna keep this updating or what?

Yeh, I'm not stopping this or anything. Just, you know, Christmas and New Year. And it's hard to pry my gaming lappy off of my sister now that I've bought her Sims 3 for xmas >_<

Asheram
2010-01-04, 04:41 PM
Suddenly, War!. The... Drengin? Dregin? Dragon? Drebin? declared war on the Snathi. Don't really see why, they only have one planet and it's right in the middle... of our...

Frak. Frak frak frakkity frak-frak. They'll attack the Snathi through us, and I doubt their high command will mind much if they take a few shots at us as well.

Of course, sir, there's no need for them to attack should the lights of the Snathi race be snuffed out through an... *coughs* ...most unfortunate computer malfunction.

smuchmuch
2010-01-04, 07:13 PM
a. Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush
d. Lots of lasers

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated
d. Lasered

a. Law
b. Orders
c. Wrong
d. To use more lasers. he's such a smart man.

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!
d. Pillage then burn !

c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!
d. Mobile things you can fix lasers on.

8. Exterminatus is?
d. The solution to everyhting.

As for the current conflict, I have no opinion, though I feel we seriously lack laserpower to do anything worthwile, so I'd say: let's sit back until we get somme research done.

xp194
2010-01-07, 07:21 PM
Fear not noble viewsitors, for I have snow and school is closed tomorrow. (It was closed today as well but I spent the time on ODST) Therefore I have time to blitz another update So yeh. May include incredible awesome and smexy utterly horrible failart too, if I can get the motivation to commit crimes against the visual arts draw.

Also..

*post*
Hot damn! You discoverd most of the secret bonus answers(No they didn't exist beforehand. Quiet you lot >_>)! Commissar Hat extends his regards and has offered you the chance to choose a role in our goverment or military forces! (I should also really get around to making a list of who does what)

Edit: Also, to those baying for the blood of Xenos scum, I ask you bear with me a bit. As our current operational fleet consists of two underpowered fighters and our economy hangs fairly literally on a knife blade, undertaking aggressive action at the moment would likely see us getting steamrollered worse than the Black Crusades. To those asking for Terror Stars, I agree having one would be awesome but it'd also be nice if we had the capability to keep it from going Kaboom when the AI inevitibly decrees it a threat.

Alterntively, we could use it to turn all those useless star systems around us into new asteroids to exploit by mining... >_>

xp194
2010-01-09, 08:26 AM
Well, you know how things weren't looking too great for us before? It's gotten one hell of a lot worse.
To the point that next update may well be the last. 'Course, I ain't gonna give up without a fight... but... well, read on for details

Commissar Hat's Log Entry 6

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-103PewPew.jpg

News to warm the hearts of nations everyone... smaller lasers are being researched as we speak! (It gets finished, but I appear to have forgotten to take the screenshot. D'oh)

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-104EmperorsTales.jpg

Our exploration teams found a cache of stories that we... 'repurposed' Things like a story about a wolf eating a little girl who was taking food to her granny was changed to make the wolf a Mutant and the woodchopper who saved them the Holy Emperor himself. This has become mandatory reading material and even now a few weeks later, reports are flooding in from parents whose children keep asking them to 'burn the heretic mutant xenos hiding under my bed, please" I'm so proud.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-105StolenStuff.jpg

The Snathi contacted us about information their spies gathered from the... Torians, I believe they were called. We may take them up on their offer as and when we decide it is nessecary

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-106EXTORTION.jpg

Then the Yor call us and try to extort money. I respond in a way that would make our diplomacy corp back home either proud or have a heart attack:

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-107Riposte.jpg

I demanded everything of their for nothing of ours. It would be an understatment to say that they were annoyed.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-108CriminalScum.jpg

Another Year, another meeting of the UP. On the Agenda this year was on which of us would host a galatic prison. I didn't like it, but the potential slave labour would have been useful.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-109Didntreallywantthemanywa.jpg

But the Yor decided they wanted them. Oh well. Good luck keeping that lot of miscreants under control.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-110Ohsowhowantscashnow.jpg

Oh! Look who's back asking for more cash? The Imperium gives money to no-one! Understand?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-111Yehlasers.jpg

And our new smaller lasers come through! I suppose I should get around to upgrading one of our ship classes soon.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-112Moreproductionneeded.jpg

Next, the Cogboys were ordered to see about making our production and economy better. I'm surprised we didn't try this before.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-113Upgradetime.jpg

And we're done. We got a lot of new options...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-114Radawaytoday.jpg

First of which I'm choosing is researching better colonising methods. Then we should with a bit of tweaking be able to colonise those pesky radioactive planets lying around.

Suddenly, alarms went off all over the command centre. "Whats going on? I barked in my best Commissar voice over the chaos and panic.

"We're at war!" came the reply.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-115WellCrap.jpg

Dammit. This is too soon! We needed more time!

"Okay then. Here are my orders..."

xp194: Yeh. This is the getting worse part I mentioned earlier. I'm almost certain that we do not have the fleet power to win this. Yet, anyway.

Current solution in my mind is this:

1. Cut all funding to the social sector, leave Military and Research at 50-50
2. Pump a whole load of cash into those areas
3. Raise taxes really high if not maximum. This is War, dammit, public opinion be damned.
4. Maybe trade Spirit to the Snathi for some of their stolen research. One less planet to defend and should be fairly easy getting it back, hopefully
5. Hope that the Emperor's protection is really strong in this galaxy.

So yeh, to all you warmongers... if we die in the light of burning planets, I blame you! :-p

factotum
2010-01-09, 12:51 PM
Do the Yor actually have planetary invasion tech? If they don't, it doesn't matter how much of your stuff they blow up, they can't take your planets!

smuchmuch
2010-01-09, 04:19 PM
Ouch. So soon ? that's harsh. Between that and the crappy starting planets this is a tough start.

Do the Yor actualy have the tech and fleet power to carry their threats for now ?

Also what level of engines, logistic and miniaturization do you have ?

For what it's woth:
I've often remarqued while playing (admitedly at much lesser difficulties, a better player would have to confirm this) that at early game, the Ai , when it want to invade one of your planets, has a tendency send a first fleet of heavy fighters/ frigates to destroy your orbital defences followed shortly after by unarmed and most importantly un/lightly-escorted transport.
If they do, a small fleet of fighters with good movement (3/4 parsecs per round) and a basic attack can easily outmaneouver the strike force and destroy the transports behind, you can gain a lot of time that way.

Trading Spirit to the Snathi for the tech could be a good option, depend what they have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot damn! You discoverd most of the secret bonus answers(No they didn't exist beforehand. Quiet you lot >_>)! Commissar Hat extends his regards and has offered you the chance to choose a role in our goverment or military forces! (I should also really get around to making a list of who does what)

All hail the comissar.
I suppose it would be presomptuous of me to ask the position of Fleet Commander ? Especialy since the "fleet" is barely two poor fighters with alwmost no firepower.
(On the other hand, that gives the comissar someone to blame and shoot when things will inevitably go wrong, so I have all my chances.)

Aragehaor
2010-01-09, 05:29 PM
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-106EXTORTION.jpg

Then the Yor call us and try to extort money. I respond in a way that would make our diplomacy corp back home either proud or have a heart attack:

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-107Riposte.jpg

I demanded everything of their for nothing of ours. It would be an understatment to say that they were annoyed.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-110Ohsowhowantscashnow.jpg

Oh! Look who's back asking for more cash? The Imperium gives money to no-one! Understand?

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-113Upgradetime.jpg

And we're done. We got a lot of new options...

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-114Radawaytoday.jpg

First of which I'm choosing is researching better colonising methods. Then we should with a bit of tweaking be able to colonise those pesky radioactive planets lying around.

Suddenly, alarms went off all over the command centre. "Whats going on? I barked in my best Commissar voice over the chaos and panic.

"We're at war!" came the reply.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm442/xp194/GalCiv%202%20LP/Galciv2-115WellCrap.jpg

Dammit. This is too soon! We needed more time!

"Okay then. Here are my orders..."

xp194: Yeh. This is the getting worse part I mentioned earlier. I'm almost certain that we do not have the fleet power to win this. Yet, anyway.

Current solution in my mind is this:

1. Cut all funding to the social sector, leave Military and Research at 50-50
2. Pump a whole load of cash into those areas
3. Raise taxes really high if not maximum. This is War, dammit, public opinion be damned.
4. Maybe trade Spirit to the Snathi for some of their stolen research. One less planet to defend and should be fairly easy getting it back, hopefully
5. Hope that the Emperor's protection is really strong in this galaxy.

When i said i wanted war, I ment with the weak and probably easy to push around minor races. Not the yor.

Also,

So yeh, to all you warmongers... if we die in the light of burning planets, I blame you! :-p

You would dare to blame a holy man of the emperor!?:smallmad: We have ways of dealing with heathen scum you know..:smalltongue:

Raroy
2010-01-09, 09:07 PM
We are the Imperial Guard. We die standing.

Asheram
2010-01-09, 09:11 PM
We are the Imperial Guard. We die standing.

If a man dies without his boots on, then it's because he've thrown them at the enemy.
The other option is unthinkable.

Saurus33
2010-01-10, 01:58 AM
Log of Magos Saurus:

This... hmm, wait.

Xenos! Xenos in the compound!

Better. I went to check on one of the fighters we were refitting and a team of Yor assassins jumped out of my lunch.

I'm safe now, but for safety the next time this happens I'm taking eight of our surviving multi-meltas and attaching them to my mechadendrites. Let's see those vermin try to kill me after I hit them with sixteen barrels of heavy antitank weaponry! It'll consume more energy than is created by a small star every hour, but it should be worth it.

xp194
2010-01-10, 08:27 AM
I'm taking eight of our surviving multi-meltas and attaching them to my mechadendrites. Let's see those vermin try to kill me after I hit them with sixteen barrels of heavy antitank weaponry! It'll consume more energy than is created by a small star every hour, but it should be worth it.

Oh Warp. Just... make sure to recite the Litany of Fire Prevention while you use them. Please?

Remember, Smokey the Emperor says: Only YOU can prevent raging wildfires! :smallcool:

Kane
2010-01-10, 03:19 PM
I'm afraid I missed this thread. I am here to make up for this error in my duty as an Imperial Citizen.

a. Go-d Emp-er-or
b. Emprah
c. Corpse

a. Fire
b. Tank Rush
d. In Righteous Naval Combat that Proves the Inevitable and Invincible Superiority of Man, God-Emperor, and Omnissiah. (The fact that you can not only blow them up, but purge them with flame, lance, vac-suited boarders, and suffocation all at once also helps.)

3. Xenos are to be?
a. Exterminated
b. Defeated, assimilated, and used as unskilled laborers in the manufactorums.

a. Law, if he's acting as ranking Political Officer, or
b. Orders, if he's issues on his authority as Head of Imperial Military Operations in this Sector. Insert pun on 'wearing multiple hats' and the Commissar's name.
c. Wrong

a. For the Emperor!
b. Kill them all!
d. For the Imperium and Supremacy of Man!

a. Sacred to the Machine Spirit and are to be prayed for, and I'd assume 'b.' as well.
c. METALLL BOXESSSS!!!!

d. Bring the ship out of Warp, as if you're hearing it, some of the crew probably was too.

8. Exterminatus is?
a. A necessary way of dealing with worlds too far under the ruinous power's influence and
d. A waste, and one world less that can be serving the Imperium.

Captain Kane volunteering to serve in the glorious Imperial Navy.

[thoughts on the game]
Man, I suck at this. Also my general opening strategy is to buy colony ships until I go broke, and then send them as far out as I can.

Question: Doesn't the 'super warrior' trait allow us to completely ignore armor provided we have enough attack? We always strike first, so, if we do it right, we can ignore defenses all together, right?

Question: I should hope you're doing more research than those two structures? (Meaning no insult to the Mechanicus, of course)

Question: How were we intending to fight our way through the Yor/snafi, as I was under impression war was plinking away at each other's ships until we got the (rather expensive) planetary invasion tech?

factotum
2010-01-10, 05:17 PM
Man, I suck at this. Also my general opening strategy is to buy colony ships until I go broke, and then send them as far out as I can.

Why are you buying them? Costs way too much to do that...you need to keep your money reserves at the beginning of the game because you're likely to be spending the first few dozen turns running at a loss and you need that cushion. It doesn't help you having more planets than anyone else if all those planets have tiny populations that can't pay any tax!

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-10, 06:02 PM
Hey guys I just got this game I listened to the fifteen hour audiobook the game labels a "tutorial"

I still have no real idea what I'm doing.

I tried playing a game and made it fairly far. I build some farms and some colonies and traded some people techs, but I kept falling behind, even on Beginner. Is there a list of "THINGS THAT, IF YOU'RE NEW TO GALCIV, YOU'RE PROBABLY ASKING" and a list of "Common tips and strategies and tricks!" (For example, even something as simple as how in Civ 4 it's always best to stack a warrior and a settler for safety)

Toric
2010-01-10, 10:02 PM
Trade with the Snathi for whatever tech you need. They have their war, you have yours. You can always take Spirit back at a later date. As for those foolish machines, show them how a little human backbone and a lot of faith in the Emperor can turn several scraps of metal into several million scraps of metal.

tribble
2010-01-12, 07:07 PM
you should see if you can flat-out buy a couple ships. slap down the cash and get a quicker warforce.

Kane
2010-01-12, 11:06 PM
Why are you buying them? Costs way too much to do that...you need to keep your money reserves at the beginning of the game because you're likely to be spending the first few dozen turns running at a loss and you need that cushion. It doesn't help you having more planets than anyone else if all those planets have tiny populations that can't pay any tax!

Massive initial expansion. Grap those class 23s, and such. As well as pushing my borders (and influence) as far as possible.

Doesn't necessarily work, but, hey. (rather, it does work THAT way, but I tend to get pwned by the computer.)

xp194
2010-01-26, 06:09 PM
Citizens of the Imperium, fear not. My crash course in Crammed-and-barely-remembered-strategy is over! Expect an update before the end of the week!

Lycan 01
2010-01-28, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, I hate to interupt, but can I ask a few question? :3

I saw the GC2 collection at Best Buy recently. I was just wondering if the game was any good... I've heard good things about it, but I'm not fully sure how much I'd enjoy it. I love space sims, particulalry interstellar space battles. Homeworld 2 was amazing. Sword of the Stars is fun, if a bit... difficult. :smalleek:

So, what's GC2 like? What's the space combat like? How difficult is it? Learning curve? How in-depth is the economy and diplomacy stuff?

In short, short summaries of what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

smuchmuch
2010-01-28, 05:04 PM
what you ask would be pretty long, that's what tutorials are for. So I'll just make a small precision:

Make no mistakes, Galactic civilisation is a turn per turn civilisation manager game, not a RTS. (If you have already played Civilisation IV, it's very similar but in space as the name pretty much promess). So if you start comparing it to Homeworld, prepare to huge disapointement. think more of game like Master of Orion, Pax imperia, Supremacy (now that's an old one), etc.

The combat here is just: the two fleet comme in contact, face each other, the computer calculate how many damage fleets do to each other depending on the number of ship, equiped weapons and armors and eventual bonuses and dice rolling (there's a bit of randomne involved), the weakest fleet is destroyed and the stongest loose eventualy somme hitpoints/ships depending on ho much the looser could defend themselves. And that's about it, you have no tactical contol over battles (not that I know off anyway).
and i just realised i could have said that one phrase: The combat is by auto resolve.

Even for a war faring race, focus is mostly on economics and research decisions .Searching technology x might give you a huge avantage on your oponent but then again you may want to take the road to y wich allow you to improve your economy. Having a strong economy means you will be able to build and sustain more ships. Maybe you'll want to diminish your funding in research to reatribute them to ship production, allowing to outproduce your oponent. Or maybe you're more of a peacefull guy and will instead try to gain influence by expending/colnizing planets and building starbases. Having diplomatic influence can sway the course of a war by gaining/loosing alliances or even allow you to conquer enemy planets without firing a hot. and so on.)

In my opinion, as for every civilisation game, the combat system is really the weakest part of the game (way too much randomness, too slow), even for that kind of game.
The diplomacy system however is the stong point as it is both rather simple and yet complex enough to allow you to do somme very fun stuff (like bribing a civilastion to attack another, a great classic).

There's already a finished let's play by Cubey (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130471) if you want an idea how the game is played.

If you turn tout to be interested by the game, i suggest your get with the expension as the last one, twighlight of the anor really add a lot to the game.

Toric
2010-01-28, 09:48 PM
Journal of Toric Mycyhde:

The Emperor be praised! Today is my first day as Imperial representative to the Yor Collective and we've already met tremendous success! Not ten minutes after planetfall I ensured that each and every inorganic Techpriest toy knew exacty where they stood in this or any galaxy. Most of the scum know their place; they follow me quietly at a distance showing off their metallic gifts for me to each other, apparently deciding who has the most impressive one which should be presented first. Really, they shouldn't go to all this trouble to impress me. I will not be the one to fire a laspistol between their infernally glowing eyes. I go now to meet what passes as their "leader" in the name of the Imperium. I expect this meeting to be brief and decisive.

*The sounds of weapons fire and dropship thrusters sound in the background.*
I never liked this planet anyway. FLY FASTER!

xp194
2010-02-02, 05:55 PM
Urgh. Update WOULD have been just now... but blasted Firefox decides to crash for no reason and lose EVERYTHING I just wrote...

Why...? Why me?

Toric
2010-02-02, 06:51 PM
Yor spies have infiltrated your network.

factotum
2010-02-03, 02:40 AM
Urgh. Update WOULD have been just now... but blasted Firefox decides to crash for no reason and lose EVERYTHING I just wrote...

Create the updates in some other application and then copy and paste it into Firefox; doesn't matter if the browser crashes then! (Of course, best make sure you pick an application that isn't prone to crashing, or which takes regular autosaves...).

Tyrrell
2010-02-21, 02:58 PM
So, did we die with our boots on?

xp194
2010-02-21, 06:59 PM
Well, my motivation has.

I've got the screenshots uploaded still. I just need the willpower/attention span to rewrite the update.

However, I recently started playing Star Trek Online. There goes the Attention span. :smallfrown:

If I keep myself really disciplined, expect an update sometime this week. (Ye gods my scheduling sucks)