PDA

View Full Version : FREEFORM ROLEPLAYING: Community Thread (Please Read)

Pages : [1] 2

Draken
2009-12-20, 12:38 PM
The Story so Far

Until around the end of 2008, this area of the Giant in the Playground Forum was known as "The Town", by that time, however, there was already a considerable split between the ACRONYM world and the Town proper.

A while later, the split was officialized by the forum administration when the subforum stopped being "The Town" and became the Freeform Roleplaying area.

Shortly after this event, Metropolis and then Bleachitp were created, and in more recent times, Narutoitp was born. And in even more recent times, a number of other freeform settings appeared. Unfortunately a number of these appear to be missing the crucial component that is "player interest".

That is one of the reasons this thread is being created, another reason is to, hopefuly, create a better integration between the players of the different settings, as our subforum is considerably fragmented, currently.

The Purpose

Freeform's purpose is fun. Fun for all of us who play our characters here, telling their stories.

The purpose of this particular thread is conversation and discussion, and to guide newcomers through the various settings here. Most of them have their ground rules listed on the first post of their respective OOC threads, yes, but there are unspoken rules in each of them, facts that a new player will not be readly aware, as well as details of the settings themselves.

Most importantly, every now and then, players have ideas for new settings, but unfortunately a number of them have suffered a stillbirth from lack of interest. This thread should provide an area where these new settings (which, when so discussed, are discussed in the OOCs of particular settings and seen only by a handful of the community, if they are discussed at all), and hopefuly, avoid the death of good ideas to the ravages of lack of interest from the playerbase.

Table of Universes:
{table=head]Name|Tag|Approx. Age|Still active?|Notes
Nexus|[Nexus]|5 yrs|Yes|Includes Acro and Town
- ACRO|{colsp=4}[ACRO]
- Town|{colsp=4}[Town]
Metropolis|[Metro]|2 yrs|No|Superhero universe
Bleach||1.5 yrs|No new characters
Bleach Reborn||4 mnth|Yes|Reboot of BleachitP
Camp Half-Blood|[CHB]|6 mnth|Yes|
GONE|
Final Fantasy|[FFitP]|Brand New|Yes (setup)
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|[OCitp]|1 mnth|Yes|
Eragon/Twilight Lynching|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Pokémon|||No|Now in Structured
Super Robot Wars|[SRWitP]|2 mnth|Yes (setup)|Characters from existing mecha anime/manga/etc. allowed
Naruto|[NarutoITP]|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|
[/table]

[B]Universe Directory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7539880&postcount=3)
For those of you who care, that is just two posts bellow.

[B]FFRP Universe Application Form: (FFRPUAF)

Name of Universe:
Tag:
Description:
Character limitations:
Founding player(s):
Interested players: (to be added during the discussion/recruitment period)
Other notes:
Style:
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?

Viera Champion
2009-12-20, 12:42 PM
I'm here to help newcomers who don't quite understand this! Because Captain Planet says, "The power is mine!"

happyturtle
2009-12-20, 12:58 PM
Universe Directory:

Bibliography ITP
[B]Name of Universe: Bibliography ITP
Tag:
[B]Description: Our world is not what it seems... there is a Veil on the eyes of all humans that, when lifted, reveals a world where are the myths... are true.
Character limitations: Most characters will play as Pages, bound to a single Codex. Each Codex has strengths and weaknesses. Others are Librarians, more like police and with more power.
Founding player(s): Elagune, Jokasti, Prime32, Lix Lorn, Creed
Interested players: Everyone who's read Bibliography.
Other notes: Options are Page/Librarian/Human
Style: Superhero-ish
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? Based on Elagune's webcomic, and mostly in the city of Tiltstone.
Date created: June 2010

[FMAitp] Fullmetal Alchemist ITP
Name of Universe: Fullmetal Alchemist ITP
Tag: FMAITP
Description: An RP taking place in the FMA Universe
Character limitations: Must fit the setting, and not overpowered.
Founding player(s): Maximum Zersk
Interested players: Uh... a lot of people? To be added?
Other notes: None
Style: Alchemy/Shounen/Storytelling
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? It takes place in the FMA Universe, and is more guided and is less tolerant of silliness than the Nexus is
Date created: 2010

[GDU] Global Defense Unit
Name of Universe: Global Defense Unit
Tag: GDU
Description: A group called the GDU protects it's native country of each unit from dangers, and on occasion, the world
Character limitations: Set list of gadgets. Must be human. Must be a GDU member.
Founding player(s): Maxios, The Antagonist, Instinct
Interested players: The antagonist, instinct
Other notes:
Style: Action/Spy/James Bond/Thriller
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?: It's action packed, and filled with encounters with badguys and adventures
Date created: Aug 2010

[HP] Hogwarts ITP
Name of Universe : Hogwarts ITP
Tag : [HP]
Description : An RP set in the Harry Potter Universe, specifically Hogwarts.
Character Limitations : Have to fit the setting, no Voldemorts or characters with major items.
Founding Player(s) : Gimliggamer
Other Notes : None
Style : Magic. Duh.
What Makes this different from other FFRPG's? See above. Blarg
Date Created: July 2010

[Lynch:_] Lynching Games (Twilight, Eragon)
Name of Universe: Twilight Lynching Games
Tag: No Tags
Description: A free form/structured hybrid in which you play as established fictional characters from a variety of settings and to battle with the characters of the Twilight series of Novels/Movies as well as other PCs.
Character limitations: Depends on the particular game but usually only restricted by desired power level and plausibility of them existing in modern times. Also, we keep things limited to established fiction characters.
Founding player(s): Cracklord, Industrious, Doliest, Darkblade
Interested players: Kuroimaken
Other notes: Each thread represents one game with the thread's creator as the GM who plays the canon Twilight characters and other NPCs.
Style: It's basically a sandbox game with direction.

Name of Universe: Eragon Lynching Games
Tag: No Tags
Description: A free form/structured hybrid in which you play as established fictional characters from a variety of settings and to battle with the characters of the Inheritance Cycle series of Novels as well as other PCs.
Character limitations: Depends on the particular game but usually only restricted by desired power level and plausibility of them existing in Fantasy setting.
Founding player(s): Cracklord, Industrious, Doliest, Darkblade
Interested players:
Other notes: Each thread represents one game with the thread's creator as the GM who plays the canon Inheritance Cycle characters and other NPCs/
Style:

Date created: ~2009

[Nexus] The Nexus aka Town aka Acronymia
Name of Universe: The Nexus aka Town aka Acronymia
Tag: [Nexus]
Description: A nexus of realities where all cosmologies are true. At the same bar, there could be a DnD barbarian, a 24th century shadowrunner, a Jedi, a cthuloid monstrosity, and a perfectly mundane baker's apprentice.
Character limitations: No limitations except for the forum rules.
Founding player(s): Town was founded around the dual between players Mortia, and Lykan. Then evolved with the addition of Sneaks Milk Bar. Then kept growing and changing.
Interested players: lots
Other notes: There's no pre-approval process, but if you come and say hi in the Nexus OOC thread, people will try and help your character get settled in.
Style: Comedic, dark, angsty, romantic, apocalyptic. All over the place, really.
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This is the oldest and most established universe, the one the subforum was created for. It's also the most chaotic and anarchic as there is no overarching plot, consistent rules, or guiding hand. The advantage of this is that you can play any character you like. The disadvantage is that your character may not work quite as expected when they are taken out of their home universe and left to deal with people from different cosmologies. If you value order and consistency, it may not be for you, but for sheer chaotic roleplaying fun, Nexus is clearly the best choice. </biased opinion :smallwink:>
Date created: ~2005

[Myth] Mythos
Name of Universe:
Tag: (Myth)
Description: A fantasy universe
Character limitations: Characters only have 4 races to choose from.
Founding player(s): Maxios
Interested players: Creed (to be added during the discussion/recruitment period)
Other notes: Is set in the Kingdom of Kroso.
Style: Action/Swashbuckling/Fantasy/Comedy
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? It's set in a fantasy universe filled with loot, monsters, and heroes. Plus, it has warrior liches!
Date created: July 2010

[RvB] Red vs. Blue
Name of Universe: Red vs. Blue
Tag: RvB
Description: A group of Red and Blues in an endless civil war.
Character limitations: Player must be Red, Blue, or from Command.
Founding player(s): Pally Elendro
Interested players: Moff Chumley, iElf
Other notes: The people are SPARTAN IIs.
Style: Uh... Action/Comedy
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This one contains more arrogance among people.

[WoR] War of the Ring
Name of Universe: War of the Ring
Tag: [WoR]
Description: A universe based of Tolkien's Middle Earth legendarium, in which characters from different fictional sources, and history as well, are summoned by the Valar and Morgoth, to fight for either good or evil in the War of the Ring.
Character limitations: All characters must be pre-repeating firearms and appropriate to the setting (For example: Roman legionaries and Narnians are okay, US Marines and Gundam pilots are not)
Founding player(s): Executor, Cracklord
Interested players: Executor, Creed, Keveak, Darkblade, doliest, Falgorn, more to be added
Style: It's basically a sandbox game with direction, in the style of Cracklord's Lynching freeforms.
Other Notes: N/A
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? Having characters, both historical and fictional, participating in the famous War of the Ring from the Lord of the Rings novels and movies. Also, would be the first freeform Lord of the Rings roleplay universe I am aware of.

[WoT] Wheel of Time itp
Name of the Universe: Wheel of Time itP
Tag: [WoT]
Description: A universe based off of both the plot and the world of the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. All characters from the novels, including main characters, do not exist in this universe, and most will be replaced by player made characters
Character Limitations: None
Founding Player: Kurama
Interested Players: Horngeek, Kid Kris, Cracklord
Other Notes: Each thread will represent the main areas of the Three (or four?) main groups.
Style:?
What Makes this Different: It has a directed plot, yet with the possibility of many subplots branching off of it.

Haruki-kun
2009-12-20, 05:57 PM
I'm here to help newcomers who don't quite understand this!

I'm here for the food! *munch*

Seriously, though, may I suggest adding a "PLEASE READ" sign to the thread title? Sorta like the WW Central Thread.

And maybe even request a mod to sticky it.

Neknoh
2009-12-21, 11:27 AM
¤waves back at Happy Turtle with a big anime wig¤ .... erm... ¤hides wig behind back¤

A very good innitiative I must say, I myself am trying to start up my second RP, the first one had people interested, but not that big a player base still, and, unfortunately, school brutally dragged me away from the forums. Trust me, I flailed and screamed all that I could, but it fell on my own deaf ears as I sheepishly trodded into the horror that is university full time studies :smallfrown:

And now, as said, I am back, but this time, I can't seem to find players at all.

The short version of the world I hope to start off:

Dark, Medieval, European inspired Fantasy, no Elves or Dwarfs or Orcs, not as us fantasy lovers know them at least. A world of spirits and fae that exist inside of a heavy fog that descends upon the land each night, and a world you venture into when sleeping, but venturing too far could cause you to lose your way and not find yourself getting back to your body are both worlds existing within this place.

Ravens (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135605)

However, since it's not up and running and merely gathering people at the moment, I guess it'll have to wait before it can be thrown up onto the list of excellent RP's that Draken's got in his post.

Furthermore, if anyone need help brainstorming a new world of their own, just toss me a PM or say something here, I'm basically bursting with ideas for most settings, and have been active in the creation of two full factions AND a movie plot and realisation in Bleach ItP, and I've still got more to give (Ravens and Starlight are two completely separate RP worlds for instance).

ApeofLight
2009-12-21, 11:33 AM
Good idea Draken. A place for all the settings to come together seems like a good idea to me(even the OOC one here). Yeah, there truly is a split among the different settings and its good idea to bring them all together in one place.

You have the full support of apeoflight on your side. Also I can help people as well.:smallbiggrin:

Draken
2009-12-21, 04:44 PM
Mind you Ape, the idea is not for the settings to come together, but the players of the Freeform Roleplaying Section.

Discussions about conjunctions of the settings themselves have been carried time and time again in the OOCs of the different settings themselves, mainly regarding the rather tenuous ACRO/Town split, more often than not, these have similar ends and the vigent status quo is pretty much kept.

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-28, 02:47 AM
So, in the interest of keeping this on the first page, I'm going to poke the waters a bit and ask how you guys feel about a sci-fi RP. I have a detailed setting ready (ish), but for now I'm just going to say it's on a large colony ship (pop ~2 million) full of refugees of various races*, fleeing from the ruins of the GENERIC FEDERATIONTM, which was destroyed by the EVIL HIVEMINDTM**. There is also a defense fleet too, mostly consisting of human and gray ships, since they had the largest space fleets. Most locations will be on the colony ship, with space available for restaurants, shops, churches, black market gun stores etc etc. There are also 'outside' areas, in the form of the various bio domes that pepper the outside of the ship. The ship is divided into four parts: The White Sector (public space), The Green Sector (vast hydroponics gardens, for food and oxygen), The Yellow Sector (important machinery, including life support, engines and generators. Access is restricted) and the Blue Sector (Comms, piloting and other things vital to ship's functioning. Access is also restricted).
Aaaand that's all I can think of putting down right now. There's more, but not for now. So yeah.

*Current (major) Races: Grays (with tall and short (and elder brain) subspecies, had a tendency to mutilate cattle, and give people hallucinations for the lulz, until the human race found out, and brutally slaughtered most of them), Eldrin (advanced 'precursor' race, was the major power in the Federation), Myrmidons (Big people race. Probably Lizard People), [Name Pending] (Little, Green(ish), but not necessarily Men, and more likely women, since they have a vaguely hive-like society. Consists of Workers, Soldiers, Drones, Experts, Nursers and the Queen), Humans (thirteen legged eldritch abominations with seven eyes, blue skin and a giant fanged maw :smalltongue:) and whatever else you want to throw in. Except Space Elves. Space Elves suck.

**Is either a super insect genetic engineering hivemind, a robot hivemind, a cyborg hivemind, or an insect-cyborg hivemind. Assimilation is optional.

Innis Cabal
2009-12-28, 03:01 AM
I'd like to reply to the above that there is currently a sci-fi setting of the Mecha genre just starting, if any are interested in joining that.

OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135416)

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-28, 03:08 AM
Oh, right. I'd like to add to the above in that the style of play will be more like ACRO, Town or Metropolis, in that it won't be as structured as CoT, or the AnimeITPs. It's basically: You're stuck on a ship, hurtling rapidly away from the ruins of the Federation, 100 years after it was destroyed. Also, you can't settle down on a planet haven't been able to settle down on a planet, otherwise the bugs will come and eat you because the bugs came and ate everyone who tried. Have fun. Or something.

I keep looking at my setting and either thinking: 'This needs more camp', or 'this needs more GRIMDARK'. .~.

Bergett
2009-12-28, 03:13 AM
Oh I'm sure if you toss in a couple GENERIC GOVERNMENT BLACK OPS PROJECTStm concerning doing something morally illegal to fight back at said Hive mind to make it grimmer.

Lord Magtok
2009-12-28, 01:05 PM
Are you done yet, Kermag?

The former bar wench tapped her foot impatiently against the rubble. Said foot was carefully wrapped in a ragged leather boot at the moment, magically enchanted to fair better against the sheep (Called as such because they were once believed to have been brought about by Shepherd) and whatever rough terrain they found themselves in, but even magic can only go so far nowadays. They were late enough as is, and that stupid half-breed bucket of bolts was slowing them down even further with its selectivity. Just pick some random guns and come back later if you want to be that picky, for gods' sakes.

The armory has been successfully emptied, masters.

KR-MAG, or Kerr, Kermag, and Kermit, as he was called by the others, was a rather peculiar experiment with, as one might guess, K-CORP robots and MagCorp technology. Whether he was made by a desperate Magtok from scavenged K-Corp materials before the infamous cyborg became one of them, or constructed of spare MagCave parts assimilated into the crimson robot empire before its eventual collapse was a mystery nobody really cared enough to think about, including KR-MAG himself.

Okay, let's hurry. The sun's dropping, and sheep's going to be right in our path to the caravan around...6:47 if we don't hurry.

It's truly a miracle that smurf's survived as long as she has. Given all the people she lost even before the Sheep came and her relative inexperience with firearms (compared to the other survivors, anyways), one would expect the flock would've infected her in seconds once they reached Gersemi's Isle. Instead, it only empowered her, driving her to achieve miracles for her fellow survivors time and time again with her mystical gift.

Some time later, they finally made it to the caravan. There'd been a brief scuffle with some sheep along the way, but with some well-placed headshots and KR-Mag's bite immunity, they managed to get by. The caravan however, was not how they'd left it. There was blood on the MagMobiles, somebody's arm bouncing off the turret of an ISF hovertank, and the whole place smelled of death. The three paled at the site of this devastation, and quietly began to back away.

Oh gods...Melody, why didn't you-

I-I didn't think they'd...oh gods, we have to get out of here n-

Sensors detecting enemy signatures numbering in...triple digits! Suggestion: Retre-

SHRIEEEE!

As one might expect, Melody, Yasmin, and the rest of Caravan Evans was lost to the Sheep. KR-MAG, given his non-organic form's immunity to infection, was simply bludgeoned and clawed at by the beasts, and managed to last long enough to transmit the fall of Evans to ISF radio before getting scavenged by raiders for parts. Life went on in the Acro wasteland like it always did, and war...war never changes.:smalltongue:

Anyways, this is the rough idea several people including Vespe, Kaela, and others thought up before in chat but never gave a try I had for a darker, post-apocalypse Acro, where the bad guys succeeded in one of their many attempts to ruin the world, and where even the mighty superpowers of Acro are challenged by the sheer, overwhelming numbers of zombies Sheep trying to eat and/or turn them. It's called-

Acropocalypse Now

Anyone interested?

Draken
2009-12-31, 09:32 PM
Right now, in the GMT -4 Area (where I am), it is currently 23:40 of the 31st day of December of 2009. Within 20 minutes it will be the 1st of January of 2010.

I would like to give all who I play with in ACROnym, Bleachitp and Narutoitp, along with everyone else I don't play with, a Happy New Year!

Kaelaroth
2010-01-05, 01:23 PM
I quit.

Metropolis is for those who play in it, as it's always been. Any characters in it who I play are now NPCs, save for the baby Benjamin, who chokes itself to death as it sleeps, donating his power to his brother, if his brother's player wants it.

What few ACRONYM characters I have left erase themselves from reality. The Taverna can be updated by those who want to. As a last gift to you guys, I'm erasing its upper floors. You can get your smut elsewhere. HT and Rebonack have updating-rights for it, but please avoid heavy editing to it. Let it die, if you want, but respect what I built, mm?

As said, in the first line, I quit FFRP.
Cheerio!

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-05, 06:00 PM
Cheerio, then.

Reinholdt
2010-01-06, 12:12 AM
Sorry to see you go. So long Kaela.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-12, 08:11 PM
Well, I have an idea. What about one based in a Steampunk/Clockpunk world? Is there an FFRP based on that already?

'Cause if not... called it!

Gimliggamer
2010-01-12, 09:51 PM
Is anyone up for a Brutal Legend FFRP?

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-12, 11:33 PM
Well, I have an idea. What about one based in a Steampunk/Clockpunk world? Is there an FFRP based on that already?

'Cause if not... called it!

Not particularly, but it's easy enough to have a steampunk character in Acro or Town.

Purple Rose
2010-01-13, 01:23 AM
Not particularly, but it's easy enough to have a steam punk character in Acro or Town.

*cough cough* :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-13, 01:25 AM
What? :smallconfused:

Zarah
2010-01-13, 01:29 AM
While we're on the subject of garnering interest, would anyone be up for a Pirates of the Caribbean-esque historical fantasy FFRPG based in the 17th/18th century?

I really shouldn't be stretching myself out any thinner, but hey, I liked the idea. :smalltongue:

Purple Rose
2010-01-13, 01:53 AM
What? :smallconfused:

I just started with a steampunk character and shop in inside. :smalltongue:

Boo
2010-01-20, 01:57 AM
@Zarah: I'd prefer it to be described as a fantasy-based Pyrate RP, but it seems like it could work. Ship battles could be hard (although I can't help but imagine threads shooting at other threads and how much fun that could be).

All I would ask is that you please don't run it like Bleach itP. Let players run their own course, man their own sails, and guide themselves to the treasure of role-play! Okay, that sounded better in my head.

@FFRP Section: Are we getting overcrowded? I know that the Twighlight/Eragon lynching RP's aren't growing that much, but we are getting more and more RP's by the month.

We have Acro, Town, Metropolis, Bleach, Naruto, Twighlight, Mecha-things, Eragon, ...and... others. I can't remember all of them. There's also Neknoh's Ravens and the above concepts in this thread. In fact, Neknoh's world is probably being choked out by all the universes... Either that or the massive wall of text. :smalltongue: A good read, it was.

Note that I'm not saying we are currently overcrowded, but we are getting there. Any thoughts on what to do?

Jacklu
2010-01-20, 02:25 AM
*readies the blasting caps*

Huh? Oh, these? Nothing... Nothing at all.

happyturtle
2010-01-20, 05:18 AM
Note that I'm not saying we are currently overcrowded, but we are getting there. Any thoughts on what to do?

Nothing, is my vote. I think there are a few of the threads here that might fit better in Structured, but other than that, I don't see any reason why any new setting that has participants shouldn't exist.

Boo
2010-01-20, 06:20 AM
:smallconfused: I don't remember saying we should be rid of them or ban new ones (or anything in that context).

happyturtle
2010-01-20, 06:38 AM
I assumed, based on the fact that the two options I see are nothing or restrict new settings in some way.

If other people can think of other options, please speak up.

Boo
2010-01-20, 06:45 AM
That second part would be rather narrow-minded and cruel of me to suggest. :smalltongue:

Maybe just enforcing the "setting name in front of thread title" rule would be enough...

Zarah
2010-01-21, 12:48 AM
@Zarah: I'd prefer it to be described as a fantasy-based Pyrate RP, but it seems like it could work. Ship battles could be hard (although I can't help but imagine threads shooting at other threads and how much fun that could be).

All I would ask is that you please don't run it like Bleach itP. Let players run their own course, man their own sails, and guide themselves to the treasure of role-play! Okay, that sounded better in my head.

I've more or less moved on from that idea, unfortunately. Anyone is free to pick it up themselves if there's enough interest though.

I have been working on another more original setting lately, but I have no idea when it'll ever see the light of day. The best way I can describe it is pretty much "Heroes meets Left 4 Dead meets Fallout meets Half-Life 2." :smalltongue:

lord pringle
2010-01-21, 09:00 AM
Acropocalypse Now

Anyone interested?
I am! Go post apocalyptic Acro!

happyturtle
2010-01-21, 10:34 AM
That second part would be rather narrow-minded and cruel of me to suggest. :smalltongue:

Maybe just enforcing the "setting name in front of thread title" rule would be enough...

Good point. I know I've forgotten on occasion. Reminders should go out for any newly made threads. Of course older ones can't have their titles edited.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-21, 01:56 PM
Um, bye Kaela. :smallfrown:

I know this is late, but I never saw this thread before today. :smalleek:

Lord Magtok
2010-01-30, 03:31 PM
ATTENTION FFRPers!

Not just the Acro people, the DFI people too, everyone. I know this post looks long and not worth your time, that it's just going to waste up ten minutes and that you could get six or seven posts done in that time, but please, just bear with me. And stop posting so fast, you're posting junk if you hit submit that frequently! :smalltongue:

Now you may be thinking that you're a great RPer already, and don't need to add any more detail to your posts. Let me tell you this straight out...and sorry if I sound arrogant or mean about this...YOU CAN IMPROVE A TON! Everyone can, and I sincerely apologize if I sound like a jerk for telling you this, but it's struck me as a major problem facing our RP communities, a divider that continues to isolate and ostracize the people who try from those who don't. If you can honestly go through this entire post and say "Yes, I always add all of the things listed here" with honesty and conviction, then I'll give you a bright smiley-face sticker and a handful of monopoly money.

Now then, on to some stuff I flagrantly copy-pasta'd and edited from some other site. I could've probably put more here, but then you'd probably just skip over it.

Also: For those of you who know my writing style, feel free to play your own little guessing game to determine what parts are mine and what's been shamelessly stolen. Anyone who finds all of the plagiarized content without using the site I took it from gets a free cookie.

Clothes/Looks

At the beginning of entering any thread or situation with anyone who isn't familiar with your character, I always suggest that you give a bit of detail into describing your characters looks and clothing, especially if it isn't your avatar or you have more than three characters. Although your profile is there for people to read, they may not do so, so it's always a good idea to state everything anyway. Make sure not to have it be the same paragraph in every post, as that gets annoying.

Instead, incorporate it with your landscape. If it's dark out and windy, a good way to tell the reader the color of your hair is to say that your 'blond hair was blowing in the wind', etc...There are many other ways you can do something similar. Say that there was 'a cruel smile forming just below the shadows masking those icy blue eyes'. Now we know your hair is blond, your eyes are blue, and you're probably not a nice person. Simple, but it does add to the picture you're trying to create.

Emotions/Thoughts

Emotions and thoughts are another huge part of adding detail to your posts, that has been notably given far too little attention around here. They can change the expression on your characters face, therefore they are an important part of detail, because it changes the readers image of the scene and your character.

Always, always, always include what your character is feeling/thinking. Some people say that it's a bad idea, because the person you are RPing with will take advantage of it and use such info for meta-gaming. That is completely untrue, if you are RPing with someone who knows anything about RPing. We're not competing here, after all.

Writing about your emotions/thoughts actually helps an RP move along a lot better, and you'll get better results from those you are RPing with.

A suggestion for when you talk about your emotions... don't just say "She is happy" or "He is angry"...explain why, tell us about how "Her life is finally turning around for the better since she met him", or how "Mr. AngryMcGrump is frustrated with that jerk who keeps saying nasty things about things about him, and that he'd love to throw a chair in that guy's face, if only there weren't so many people around."

Actions

Actions are, once again, a very important part of your posts, and also horribly neglected. Even if your character is just sitting on the ground, there can be actions. Perhaps you are fiddling with the hilt of your sword, or pulling out grass stalks. Maybe you're brushing a strand of loose hair behind your ears, or scratching an itch on your arm. You could be staring up into the sky, or rapidly blinking your eyes to try to forestall falling asleep.

Whatever action your character takes is completely up to you, but it is always a good idea to have one. Saying your character is 'standing by a tree' is all well and good, but it leaves the reader with a lot of blanks. Where are their arms, are they leaning against the tree, are they yawning in a bored fashion, are they scanning the surroundings, or are they simply getting a good nap because of all this RP guide rambling? Is the tree an apple tree? Does it come with a snake trying to convince a young lady to break her caretaker's most important rule?

The reader can't tell these things, you've got to say them. If your character is scanning for enemies, have their hand above their forehead shielding the sun, nervously rubbing a thumb on their weapon or biting their lip.

Okay, so you get the idea, I hope. If I sounded rude or insensitive or hypocritical, I apologize and grant you permission to tell me so with a large trout slapped across my face. For those of you who want their monopoly money, sticker and five minutes back, the line is over there *points*.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-30, 03:37 PM
Awwww. I'm not perfect. :smallfrown:

I shall endeavor to improve. :smallsmile: No, seriously. :smallsmile:

Je dit Viola
2010-01-30, 03:51 PM
I think Rebo just won Monopoly, with all that Monopoly money he just won.

I totally need to do better also. I always try to do those, but sometimes I just forget, or am not in the mood, or some other silly and probably untrue excuse that I come up with.

Viera Champion
2010-01-30, 03:54 PM
Beautiful. Though any of my characters that have happened upon any of your characters absolutely hate them. You are truly a wise and good person. I bow down to your knowledge, and will strive to be a better RPer in the future.

Rebonack
2010-01-30, 04:05 PM
I do loves mah fluff.

I try to make a point of having posts that are long enough to cause the little scroll bar in the posting window to show up. At minimum length they're still fairly short, but long enough to include a decent amount of detail and description and my own weird form of narration.

A post that's only a single sentence long in an RP is fairly minimalistic. And when there are lots of them over and over again in a topic it can make things rather difficult to follow for other people using said topic. Adding a bit of spice isn't too hard. 'n it improves your writing, too!

Maggy's message thus has my endorsement. There won't ever be a required minimum post length here on FFRP (that would be rather silly if you ask me) but I think that as a self-imposed guideline it's great.

See that there? That's just enough to make the scroll bar show up >_>

happyturtle
2010-01-31, 12:29 AM
*puts on button*

I agree with Maggy!
And Rebo!

Also added... when two people really get going ina conversation with one another and it's a post a minute and they flood a thread? If they could slow down their posts a little, give us more description, and keep anyone new who shows up a better chance of being noticed, rather than being buried 2-3 pages ago, that would be courteous. Especially if it's an active thread like Outside where there may be 4 or 5 plots going on, when one conversation between two people dominates pages and pages of it, it can maker it hard for the other players to jump in, find where they last posted, and find who has responded to them since then.

I'm not saying don't have dialog posts... those happen. But try to make sure the dialog has a point (roleplaying small talk is kinda boring to me at least) and that it gives information to someone reading it. Magtok's post gives a lot of information on how to give more information in a post than a single line. And it would help a lot if people try to avoid filling up more than half the posts on any one page with one liners, at least in public threads where other people are trying to play as well.

FireFox
2010-01-31, 12:37 AM
I'm not saying don't have dialog posts... those happen. But try to make sure the dialog has a point (roleplaying small talk is just ewwwww) and that it gives information to someone reading it. And that you aren't filling up more than half the posts on any one page with one liners.

Just a small point of contention with this... I don't know about you, but when I have a conversation or a dialogue with my friends I don't exactly worry about not just making small talk, try to make sure there is a point to the conversation, or insert helpful exposition about my private life and personal problems for the benefit of anyone who might be listening... I can't really see why any of my characters would regularly do that either. :smallconfused:

Artemis97
2010-01-31, 12:43 AM
I'm just going to make a small request of those who do post lots of those quick posts. Please please please use your character's names in the posts! I don't know who's saying anything anymore. >.< It's just all colored text! page after page of alternating colored lines and I don't know who's talking!

I'm sorry for all the exclaimation points, but I've brought this up... at least three times in the past. When I added it into that big RP guideline, everyone endorsed it, but no one really did anything. It's frustrating and rather annoying, because I try to interact with these people and I've got no idea who they are.

So... I'm done asking politely. I'm breaking down and begging you. Put your character's names in the posts.

happyturtle
2010-01-31, 12:45 AM
It depends on whether you are roleplaying for yourself or writing to be read by others, I suppose. And of course you quoted me right in the middle of me editing. A few posts worth of small talk is fine. A few pages of small talk can get irksome.

Actually, the bigger issue is people not using location tags, or using joke tags that change every post. If there are four or five plots going on in Outside, then you can Ctrl-F and search for the location of your plot. But that only works if everyone tries their best to tag their posts.

FireFox
2010-01-31, 12:51 AM
Well, when I post in an RP thread, yeah, I guess I kinda am roleplaying for myself as opposed to writing a story... And yeah, your edit cleared things up nicely.

I admit I both don't use location tags and the names of my characters very frequently. I see how it's frustrating, but I usually don't think anybody but the player I'm RPing with would read it... I should probably work on that...

Morty
2010-01-31, 09:22 AM
This might be a good place and time to repeat my appeal for paying more attention to other characters in general, as not everyone reads the ACRONYM OOC. It doesn't look good when you only interact with one or two people and happily ignore the rest.

Viera Champion
2010-01-31, 09:35 AM
Morty is right. I may not always try my best with the stuff Magtok talked about, but I always try to pay attention to everyone. Even though that sometimes makes it tedious for me and everyone else. Whn I am constantly updating like four characters at a time in HALO.

happyturtle
2010-04-14, 10:30 AM
Just want to remind everyone to use the universe tag when they make new threads please. [ACRO] [TOWN] [Bleach] etc. Try and come up with a short abbreviation for your universe and get everyone to use it consistently. It makes it so much easier for everyone to find the threads they want.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-15, 10:15 AM
well I have an idea for both some sort of GundamITP a The World Ends with You ITP and a Fullmetal AlchemistITP...

but I'm just throwing the ideas out there.

ApeofLight
2010-04-15, 11:46 AM
I would totally before a Gundamitp or a FMAitp

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 11:53 AM
I actually have an FMAitp set up. I was going to start it soon, maybe.

You want me to start it now?

ApeofLight
2010-04-15, 11:55 AM
*shrug* Maybe.

*looks at Raziere*

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 12:21 PM
The only problem I have for starting an FMAITP is that that may cause a 'follow the leader' kind of thing, since there's already a BleachITP and a NarutoITP. If I make the FMAITP, there would be a NegimaITP, an EvangelionITP, a multitude of MacrossITPs, a Now and Then, Here and There ITP, a NarutaruITP, a Bokura no ITP, a Soul Eater ITP, a Suzumiya HaruhiITP, a TTGLITP...

So, yeah, I can start the FMAITP, but you're fine with that, right Raziere?

Lord Raziere
2010-04-15, 12:39 PM
The only problem I have for starting an FMAITP is that that may cause a 'follow the leader' kind of thing, since there's already a BleachITP and a NarutoITP. If I make the FMAITP, there would be a NegimaITP, an EvangelionITP, a multitude of MacrossITPs, a Now and Then, Here and There ITP, a NarutaruITP, a Bokura no ITP, a Soul Eater ITP, a Suzumiya HaruhiITP, a TTGLITP...

So, yeah, I can start the FMAITP, but you're fine with that, right Raziere?

I only suggested FMA and Gundam because they have potential for flexibility and variation in plot, setting and character-making. if you want to prevetn a follow the leader thing, I would suggest putting alimit on how many ITP's there can be at the time and only letting in settings that allow enough flexibility for roleplaying.

for example, we probably couldn't allow for an EVA or TTGL ITP- those settings are narrowly focused and small, not flexible enough.

however something like a setting for magical girls in general or something for mecha in general could prevent the two major "anime genres" from popping up redundantly.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I know.

Anyway, I don't think a limit is needed really, right now at least. I was just going a bit overboard. :smalltongue:

Anyway, so I can start the FMAITP, then?

Je dit Viola
2010-04-15, 12:51 PM
We already discussed this last page (Page 1). We aren't going to ban or limit new ones from being made.

However, I would prefer less specific and narrow ones, so I think the "Mecha" and other broad ones would work fine if you can get a large enough fan-base to support it.

If there's not enough active supporters, then it will die and fall off the page.

However, if there's not a setting-specific one that you want to join, but you have a good idea for a character, then you can always join the Nexus (Town/ACRO). The setting there can be anything, from High-Fantasy and Exalted to Steampunk or SciFi Futuristic or Modern.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 01:00 PM
Ah, okay.

Yeah, it wouldn't be very fun to limit it, I guess.

happyturtle
2010-04-15, 01:44 PM
Yeah, we even have magical girls and other anime characters in Acro. I think a lot of the anime roleplayers like a bit more structure than Acro gives though, so there's still a place for separate universes, for the players who want that.

Goblin Music
2010-04-15, 01:51 PM
the problem with FMA is everyone would want to have "seen the Truth" and have no need for circles, and those who would be content with circles would have a hard time working with a time limitation.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 01:54 PM
the problem with FMA is everyone would want to have "seen the Truth" and have no need for circles, and those who would be content with circles would have a hard time working with a time limitation.

Had that problem talked about in other FFRPs. For example, NarutoITP has a ban on Tailed-Beast Hosts for a while, and other powerful characters. It's been kind of evening out, and isn't so overpowered really. There are a lot of weaker characters actually.

Maybe I could figure out how to solve that.

How 'bout others using gloves or tattoos that are common with other alchemists?

Eternal Drifter
2010-04-15, 05:04 PM
A heads up.

There is currently a Poke'mon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148120) FFRP, although it does have a little form.
The OOC is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148126).
And the Character Registry is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148262).

The time frame is currently one year after Team Galactic attempted to destroy the world and create a new one. We are currently remaining in Sinnoh, but if we get enough people we will start to make other threads for other regions.

Humans can participate in battles too, but they need some training before they can be effective.

My character? Take a look at the Character Registry. Under "Eternal Drifter".

Lord Raziere
2010-04-15, 05:44 PM
yea on second thought scratch the FMAITP, there would be too much people wanting to see "the Truth"- even though my idea was more like they'd have access to chimera characters and automail people and even homunculi in addition to being able to play alchemists.

though if people DID want to see the truth, they would have to give up a big important of that character to gain it- and any automail replacements would only be as strong as normal bodyparts and be prone to things like rusting, breaking down and all that, plus some mental scarring from the experience.
also seeing the Truth would create a homunculi enemy- you know disincentives for seeing the Truth.
also since the alchemists actively discourage human transmutation and other forbidden stuff there would probably also be some difficulties in the character carrying out the act that would lead to the Truth, plus what would happen if people found out about doing something so forbidden.

and that is just being realistic, imagine the disadvantages for knowing the truth if I was being evil.

but whatever, I was just throwing out ideas

ApeofLight
2010-04-15, 05:49 PM
Which FMA would we be using if we did do a FMAitp?

Because in the old series there are some distinct differences between how homunculi are made and what they are.

And are you going to really scrap the FMAitp Zersk?

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 05:53 PM
Who the hell do you think I am? Scrapping the FMAITP? NEVER!!! :smalltongue:

I would imagine that the Manga/Brotherhood Continuity would be used, with elements from the first Anime. Of course, as with most FFRPs, it would probably go into a different path. With different characters, etc. as usual.

ApeofLight
2010-04-15, 05:56 PM
Well the main difference I'm thinking of is the homunculi. Because how there made in the two animes and manga are completely different.

In the first it comes from trying to do a human transmutation while in the other Father created them from philosopher stones.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-15, 06:02 PM
Well the main difference I'm thinking of is the homunculi. Because how there made in the two animes and manga are completely different.

In the first it comes from trying to do a human transmutation while in the other Father created them from philosopher stones.

I know, I know. I wouldn't have set it up if I wasn't a fan, right?

How about this: Greater and Lesser Homonculi. The Greater Homonculi are created by the BBEG, and are more like the Homonculi in the manga. The Lesser ones are

probably going to be like the thousands of homonculi under Central.

Innis Cabal
2010-04-15, 06:11 PM
I would like to point out that there was at one point a generic Mecha FFRP created by the Animeitp group.

It died, sadly.

Goblin Music
2010-04-15, 06:40 PM
i think "the Truth" is like Bankai in Bleach. every one wants to have it, even though very few people obtain it, same with Vizard masks and Segunda Etapa.

Prime32
2010-04-16, 05:04 PM
Suggestions that have been brought up:
.hack//ITP Yureka (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yureka)ITP :smallwink:
SlayersITP
TouhouITP
NanohaITP

Lord Raziere
2010-04-16, 05:47 PM
Suggestions that have been brought up:
.hack//ITP Yureka (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yureka)ITP :smallwink:
SlayersITP
TouhouITP
NanohaITP

haven't watched the first three

Nanoha? hmmm....I calling that a "Maybe", the magic while being divided into ranks, isn't that well thought out, it seems mostly to be "go into cool outfit mode, have cool runes appear in the air then cast spell while shouting its name"

that and the setting doesn't seem to have enough conflict in my opinion.

Prime32
2010-04-16, 06:48 PM
haven't watched the first three
Only the second one (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Slayers) has an anime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdtEXexKns) - the first is a manwha and the third is a series of videogames (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Touhou) (no I'm not counting that one Touhou anime episode some fans made).

that and the setting doesn't seem to have enough conflict in my opinion.There's plenty of conflict with guys smuggling Lost Logia and such. Have you seen the third season?

Plus it involves multiversal travel, so maybe it could be combined with something else.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-16, 07:04 PM
Only the second one (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Slayers) has an anime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QdtEXexKns) - the first is a manwha and the third is a series of videogames (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Touhou) (no I'm not counting that one Touhou anime episode some fans made).

There's plenty of conflict with guys smuggling Lost Logia and such. Have you seen the third season?

Plus it involves multiversal travel, so maybe it could be combined with something else.

yes, I'm in the middle of the 3rd season right now lost logia? it doesn't feel much like conflict,
it is conflict but its seems flimsy and small to me, more like a bullet than boomerang. just my opinion, but it just doesn't seem reusable or that significant, sure its talked about but there is no feeling of "holy (self-censored) I am afraid, what in the world is going to happen, what is going on?" I don't know....but to my view point it just seems flimsy for some reason.

horngeek
2010-04-16, 07:43 PM
...NanohaitP?

Yes, please. YES. :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-04-16, 07:48 PM
But we would have to basically construct a villainous faction out of whole-cloth. Well, cloth and SRW references (we need this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rztYz734mY) guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdfcFuiiv2s)).

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-16, 09:19 PM
NegimaITP?

SoulEaterITP?

Prime32
2010-04-18, 06:47 AM
ShamanKingITP?

horngeek
2010-04-18, 06:50 AM
I still want NanohaitP. :smalltongue:

Let the befriending commence! :smalltongue:

Kasanip
2010-04-18, 08:19 AM
The first 'Freeform' game I joined here was the 'AnimeITP' one which maybe would be best if people want to create so many different series.

It would be possible and perhaps a good idea to bring such an idea back, I think. At least, it would be possible to explore such different characters and create such a 'setting' that might work for people.

I am uncertain, after AnimeITP and the MechaITP if there is enough 'interest' in just one of such a series. Perhaps though if they were combined it would be possible to create a 'world setting' that may work. And then individual IC threads for such special 'in world' settings may be possible, I think. :smallredface:

horngeek
2010-04-18, 08:21 AM
Well, I'm almost inclined to think that the reason a 'general' setting doesn't work so well is that a lot of people think that for general stuff, we have ACRONYM.

Kasanip
2010-04-18, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm almost inclined to think that the reason a 'general' setting doesn't work so well is that a lot of people think that for general stuff, we have ACRONYM.

Maybe that is so.
However, one of the problems of the last AnimeITP and MechaITP was not enough interest, I think.
I think that while there is fun idea for such games like 'Soul Eater' or 'Touhou' it is not well known, like 'Bleach' or 'Naruto' so it will be much smaller.

That is not a bad thing maybe.

IcemanJRC
2010-04-24, 12:24 PM
Discussions are under way for a Harry Potter FFRP, possibly titled Hogwartsitp, because the student's of the series would not be present and neither would many other figures, we suspect. I'm just posting here for tips, suggestions and most importantly, to see if people would be interested in the first place.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 03:42 PM
oh please no....:smallyuk:

iElf
2010-04-24, 04:08 PM
HaruhiITP... that would never work.

But HyruleITP would be a good Idea

happyturtle
2010-04-24, 04:14 PM
Discussions are under way for a Harry Potter FFRP, possibly titled Hogwartsitp, because the student's of the series would not be present and neither would many other figures, we suspect. I'm just posting here for tips, suggestions and most importantly, to see if people would be interested in the first place.

If you get enough interest, go for it. The only tip I would have is to make it an explicit rule that there is no underage sex, to prevent moderators having to get involved. Of course that's the rule for all of ffrp, but a universe that's based around a school setting would be more likely to have problems with it.

Prime32
2010-04-24, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm almost inclined to think that the reason a 'general' setting doesn't work so well is that a lot of people think that for general stuff, we have ACRONYM.In Clash of Titans (MechaITP), there weren't many guidelines on the kinds of characters apart from "must involve robots in some way". That doesn't really ground things much (there's a pretty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGtES1hS8Z4) wide range (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Gqm53Rwts) possible), compared to Bleach where there's a set tone and everyones' powers fit into a formula.

On the other hand, I tried to launch an "EberronITP" a while back but got no interest. I guess people would rather play D&D. :smalltongue:

Terry576
2010-04-24, 04:22 PM
In Clash of Titans (MechaITP), there weren't many guidelines on the kinds of characters apart from "must involve robots in some way". That doesn't really ground things much (there's a pretty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGtES1hS8Z4) wide range (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Gqm53Rwts) possible), compared to Bleach where there's a set tone and everyones' powers fit into a formula.

On the other hand, I tried to launch an "EberronITP" a while back but got no interest. I guess people would rather play D&D. :smalltongue:

Prolly because it's easier to just play an ACRONYM character, where you can randomly learn skills.

Besides, the game would degenerate into "I cast FIREBALL!" very fast. :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-04-24, 04:23 PM
Ohai Terry! Haven't seen you for a while. :smallsmile:

Prime32
2010-04-24, 04:25 PM
Besides, the game would degenerate into "I cast FIREBALL!" very fast. :smalltongue:Well, I had said something about using thematic abilities rather than worrying about exactly what a character could do (a cleric shoots light beams that harm undead - it doesn't matter how). Also, people were encouraged to play NPCs like King Boranel and the Lord of Blades.

DoomITP
2010-04-24, 04:28 PM
One rp I plan to work on is

TheLastAirbenderITP

Terry576
2010-04-24, 04:29 PM
Ohai Terry! Haven't seen you for a while. :smallsmile:

I know, I kinda degenerated out of playing. I still have that PM you sent me where you said I was awesome.

I look at that when people make fun of me for playing lots of video games. :smallfrown:

iElf
2010-04-24, 04:32 PM
One rp I plan to work on is

TheLastAirbenderITP

...I am interested. tell me more

Prime32
2010-04-24, 04:34 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to set up a large-scale RP where people entirely play characters from existing media. Since those "Lynching" RPs turned out fun.

Might still need a theme to keep it together, like "female magic-users who can fly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXvaIYmpEMk)". :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-04-24, 04:35 PM
Pfft. Video games are good brain exercise. Srsly.

iElf
2010-04-24, 04:37 PM
.....not NanohaITP...not on my watch....how about mechas on Rollerblades?

KerfuffleMach2
2010-04-24, 04:37 PM
But HyruleITP would be a good Idea

*nods* This I support.

Prime32
2010-04-24, 04:41 PM
.....not NanohaITP...not on my watch....how about mechas on Rollerblades?Nanoha has one of those as a main character. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stcdeabi8WU) Did you even watch the series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYigKZnLIzA)? :smalltongue:

And only the first two characters in that video were Nanoha characters - if you'd watched further you would have seen Card Captor Sakura and Lina Inverse.

DoomITP
2010-04-24, 04:43 PM
...I am interested. tell me more

Basically it would start about ten years before the avatar reappears, and then go all the way to the fire lord's defeat.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 04:45 PM
.....not NanohaITP...not on my watch....how about mechas on Rollerblades?

you mean code geass ITP?

Terry576
2010-04-24, 04:45 PM
Pfft. Video games are good brain exercise. Srsly.

I know right?

In other news, your genderbent Joker is amazing. I approve.

iElf
2010-04-24, 04:47 PM
Nanoha has one of those as a main character. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stcdeabi8WU) :smalltongue:

And only the first two characters in that video were Nanoha characters - if you'd watched further you would have seen Card Captor Sakura and Lina Inverse.

...Magical girl anime.... meh. but CodeGeassITP could be in my mind awesome incarnate , though YMMV

And the avatarITP: why not have it before the rise of sozin , too the first passing of the comet?

Terry576
2010-04-24, 04:48 PM
But for AvatarITP we have a major problem:

Is the Avatar an NPC? If not, then we've got the problem of arguing.

Yeah.

That would stink.

Prime32
2010-04-24, 04:52 PM
...Magical girl anime.... meh.Please read this page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirlLyricalNanoha) on it.
The first few episodes seem like standard Magical Girl fare... until the rest of the characters show up, and the plot kicks into high gear.

Nanoha gains a rival in Fate Testarossa, a Dark Magical Girl who is also trying to collect the Jewel Seeds, on behalf of the one she calls "Mother." Despite knowing the devastation the Jewel Seeds could cause if they were used together, she refuses to discuss the matter. While technically Nanoha is still after the Jewel Seeds, she wants to find out what could possibly make someone as beautiful as Fate have such pain in her eyes. But Fate will not let Nanoha get close to her... so Nanoha decides to beat the truth out of her. For her own good.

Nanoha also gains an ally with the arrival of the Time/Space Administration Bureau, a trans-dimensional peace-keeping force born from an advanced Magitek civilization. Their mission is to secure the Jewel Seeds, due to the potential for catastrophic damage to the fabric of space-time if all 21 were brought together. Working with top TSAB mage Chrono and the staff of the dimensional warship Asura, Nanoha uncovers the dark secret behind Fate's quest, and an appropriately epic confrontation ensues.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
The second season, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, is set six months after the first. It features Nanoha and Fate working together with the TSAB to investigate another Artifact of Incredible Power called the Book of Darkness, which has apparently attached itself to an orphaned girl in a wheelchair named Hayate. She just wants to have a family, and the servants of the Book are a sympathetic female Power Trio and their Non Human Sidekick, all of whom she adopts. But the Book demands the Mana of others... or it will kill Hayate. This leads to an inevitable confrontation between Team Nanoha and the Servants of the Book of Darkness.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
The third season, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS, takes place 10 years after the second, with the previous cast taking up leadership roles in the newly-formed "Section Six", an experimental team of elite mages operating under the TSAB. Section Six is charged with monitoring and containing Relics, another dangerous Lost Technology, which Mad Scientist Jail Scaglietti is particularly interested in obtaining. Jail is obsessed with creating Artificial Mages and Combat Cyborgs, as part of a long-running illegal project which among other things was responsible for the creation of Fate herself. Central to the plot is Vivio, an apparently abandoned child of "Project F" who Fate and Nanoha adopt. She is the lynchpin of Jail's ultimate plan, which involves a powerful weapon from the lost ages that he wants to use for his own evil purposes. When Vivio is kidnapped by Jail and his team of cyborgs, Nanoha, Fate, Hayate and Section Six must find a way to save her against impossible odds and stop Jail once and for all!

Calling Nanoha a magical girl anime is highly misleading - it's a Card Captor Sakura clone for the first three episodes, but from season 2 on you can't go three seconds without tripping over a reference to a Super Robot series or Ace Combat. Heck, BlazBlue may have based v-13 on a minor Nanoha character.
Amusingly, the show is absolutely crammed with shout-outs to other anime series:

* The producer of the series, Akio Mishima, has come out on record as saying that much of the series was inspired by Nanoha's "Gundam-ish" concept art, particularly the staff and the colours of her uniform (Nanoha tribute fanbook, in Megami Magazine #91).
o He's also apparently a fan of Super Robot Wars. Therefore... well look at who's voicing Chrono, when he's adult and young (they both voice the Official Couple of the Alpha series). And there's also this "little girl with dragon summon" that has the same VA as a certain Choukijin pilot, or Nanoha's brother, who shares a VA with a certain MasĹŤ Kishin pilot (and a Gundam Pilot), though to be fair, he's been voiced by the same guy since his debut in Triangle Heart 3 Sweet Songs Forever.
o Fate also gets a major shout-out in the form of her Intelligent Device's sword form - a black sword with a trident-shaped hilt. That extends for MILES.
o The worst offender, however, has got to be the abundant similarities between Signum and Lamia Loveless (on top of the similarities in background, personality, and even attacks, they also have the same voice).
+ In StrikerS, Signum is often accompanied by a red-headed nun with a similar fighting style to Axel Almer. Lamia and Axel both debuted in Super Robot Wars Advance, where they were rivals.
o Also, while this is less of a blatant one than the previous one, maybe you should give Zest Grangeitz a look. Now imagine what happens when you give Sanger Zonvolt, The Sword That Smites Evil! brown hair... see what I mean?
+ SRW has started giving Nanoha Shout Outs back - in SRWZ, the Balgora Glory's attacks suspiciously resemble Nanoha's.
Setsuko: "The Glory Star, FULL BURST!"
* Many of the attacks and techniques in the series are homages to mecha series, notably Mobile Suit Gundam and Gao Gai Gar. And especially Subaru, who can be considered a moe compact-sized GaoGaiGar.
o A fact that has not escaped the fans in any way.
o Subaru's roller blades and "Wing Road" are possibly Shout Outs to Air Gear... or Combattler V, for that matter.
o Meanwhile, her Revolver Knuckle and her sister's name are references to Gear Fighter Dendoh, while the physical appearance of the sisters (particularly hairstyle and ribbons) recalls Noriko and Kazumi, the pilots of Gunbuster (which happens to have spiked rollerblades built in).
* The plot arc of the three series is broadly similar to that of the Gundam series Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam, with the blond nemesis doing a Heel Face Turn and appearing as an ally in the second series, and a long Time Skip between the penultimate series and the final installment, during which the protagonists grow up (Chars Counterattack). As a matter of fact, Nanoha uses funnels during the third series, making the resemblance even more pronounced. The main difference is that Fate, unlike Char, does not undergo a later Face Heel Turn.
* Reinforce, and her tinier, cuter incarnation, Reinforce Zwei. In Victory Gundam, there's a battleship named Reinforce, which was later remodeled into the Reinforce Junior... Coincidence? Some think not.
* Testarossa, as a name, sounds suspiciously like...scratch that, exactly like, one character from Full Metal Panic.
o More likely it is a reference to Ferrari Testarossa, considering the numerous amount of characters that have taken their names from cars (Signum, Shamal, Vita, Zafira, Teana, Subaru, Erio, Caro etc)
o Fate being created as a replacement for her parent's dead child and then rejected by said parent may be based on Astro Boy.
* The second episode features an Expy of Ein from Cowboy Bebop being possessed by a Jewel Seed.
* Teana's weapon, Cross Mirage is named after a mech from The Five Star Stories & its design appropriately has a slight Mamoru Nagano vibe to it.
* Not an anime shout-out, but the A's in Nanoha A's is a phonetic sound-alike of "Ace," and that season also features the first appearance of "Belkan Knights," who utilize a triangle array in their magic. In Ace Combat, the Belkan Air Force uses a triangle as its emblem and is rooted in the traditions of the ancient orders of Belkan knights.
o Hence this...
* The new Force character is named Touma. His Device is called Divider996. This is either a blatant reference to To Aru Majutsu No Index or a very, very strange coincidence.
o Or MAYBE named after the Super Robot hero of Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 Touma Kanou. Let's cross our fingers and see whether this new Touma develops Kamen Rider-ish magics.
o Also, in the same promotional manga, Signum referred to the Huckebein family.
o Somewhat incidentally, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has the Silent Protagonist Ace Pilot designated under Division 6, Unit 66 *
that's basically 666; invert the first two digits vertically and draw your own conclusions.
. And in both Ace Combat Zero and Ace Combat 5, there is another Ace Pilot NPC who's nicknamed "Huckebein".
* New ViVid character Einhart has the family name of Stratos. Part Vehicular Theme Naming, part Gundam 00 reference.
o She also has an attack called "Dankuuken"
* Jail Scaglietti looks like Ingram Plisken.
* Lutecia's summon, Garyu, is an insect like humanoid monster with a similar design to a Kamen Rider. To add to this, its arm can form a blade similar to the one Gils can form, has a Scarf Of Asskicking and, in a fight with Erio, kicks in a very similar way to a Rider Kick.
* Vita's hammer can take on a form that is a reference to Gao Gai Gar and another which references Gurren Lagann with a drill on the front (TTGL aired in the same season as StrikerS and the hammer is voiced by the same Japanese VA as Simon). Appropriately, this scene not only counted as a Crowning Moment Of Awesome for Vita, but showed Vita to be a Determinator like everyone's favorite Hot Blooded Gurren Lagann protagonists.
* Is it just me, or does Sankt Kaiser Olivie in ViVid look a lot like Saber?
o Einhart also wears an outfit similar to Saber's casual clothes.
o Along the same lines, Lutecia looks suspiciously like a loli Rider.
o Dropping all pretenses, the Vivid manga will be crossing over with Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya. No, it's not a fan fic.◊
* Look me in the eyes and tell me Agito was not inspired by Etna.
* Look at this guy from the new Force manga. Now, go play Final Fantasy 8 and take a look at Squall Leonhart. No, you aren't hallucinating, they really are a scar and a bottle of hair dye away from having basically the exact same character design.
o Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that lady who was with him in an earlier page look a lot like Shanoa?
* The Numbers's outfits suspiciously resemble plugsuits from Neon Genesis Evangelion, right down to the wristcuffs, shoulder armor things, and hair ornaments.
* Sette (Cyborg #7) resembles Mylene Jenius from Macross7.
* Seriously Fate's Zeus Zanber is very very similiar with Wodan's Hoshinagi no Tachi.
* In the first scene of Caro's appearance, she's wearing a hooded cloak that looks suspiciously like one worn in the first appearance of a certain other summoner/white mage staff chick.
* If you tell me that Nanoha's Starlight Breaker is not taken from Lightning Breaker, then you obviously lying.
* Nanoha and Kira Yamato: Purple-eyed protagonists who return Older And Wiser, gain Attack Drones and are more powerful than a(n un)healthy number of the newcomers.
* One of Material-L's palettes gives her greenish-blue in place of her standard sky blue, which may remind one of Hatsune Miku.
* Sein's IS ability is called Deep Diver - it allows her to swim through solid objects. This bears a striking resemblance to the ability shown by Read Or Die's Ms. Deep

They imported entire characters from Super Robot Wars - compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SziDbSthYDA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNUgZ-NBNc

Terry576
2010-04-24, 04:59 PM
You put a lot of thought into that Prime32. I approve:smallsmile:.

iElf
2010-04-24, 05:00 PM
....I watched the first 5 episodes , and couldn't force myself to watch another one.
I'm sorry, but I Just don't like the show so far

in other news, another idea that would never work:
SayonaraZetsubouSenseiITP

Prime32
2010-04-24, 05:02 PM
....I watched the first 5 episodes , and couldn't force myself to watch another one.
I'm sorry, but I Just don't like the show so farThat's little surprise - it takes a while to pick up. The first season is the worst.

While the second (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41mj2uCl-rw) season is usually viewed as the best, the third (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzMTqa5gTGo) is self-contained enough that you could watch it on its own just to see the huge differences over time.

I'm a little saddened that you didn't see Starlight Breaker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcU3GU69Bk) though...

Terry576
2010-04-24, 05:03 PM

I got another one:

DeathNoteITP.

You can die, you can die, or you can die.

Score.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-24, 05:06 PM

Yeah, well the first episode of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni was, well...

iElf
2010-04-24, 05:07 PM
That's little surprise - it takes a while to pick up. The first season is the worst.

While the second season is usually viewed as the best, the third is self-contained enough that you could watch it on its own just to see the huge differences over time.

Is it possible to watch the second series without having watched the first? I'm not going through more of that....

I think Beans should start an EvangelionITP

Prime32
2010-04-24, 05:11 PM
Is it possible to watch the second series without having watched the first? I'm not going through more of that....
I think so, but I thought you might appreciate the change of setting.

Samples of the second season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJ5apPYnHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFxFhxrfBzQ

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-24, 05:12 PM
You know, I;ve just noticed how bad of an idea it is to base a show off it's first episode(s).

Evangelion.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Mahou Sensei Negima.

The cover of Elfen Lied.

What is with manga/anime and false openings?

Terry576
2010-04-24, 05:14 PM
They like angering us by being terrible in the first volume, and awesome afterwards.

I couldn't finish the first Evangelion manga. It hurt too much.

Prime32
2010-04-24, 05:19 PM
Mahou Sensei Negima.This started off as an odd harem comedy. It is now DBZ with good writing and fanservice. Well, the manga is at least.

Nanoha and Negima are the poster-children for misleading beginnings.

iElf
2010-04-24, 05:20 PM
after watching, I think Nanoha is redeemable for me. it'll never be one of my favourites though.

oh, and another one that will never work:

LuckystarITP. Discussing how to eat food, and playing mmos^_^

And the first Evangelion episode had me intrigued from the start. what was kind of boring was....PLAYING CHESS IN A MECHA ANIME! but it got a lot better

Terry576
2010-04-24, 05:21 PM
iElf, do you spend time thinking up stuff that will never work? Its amusing.

AWESOME IDEA TIME!

+AnimaITP.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-24, 05:21 PM
This started off as an odd harem comedy. It is now DBZ with good writing and fanservice. Well, the manga is at least.

And it was all part of a Xanatos Gambit by the author. God that guy's amazing.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP +ANIMAITP I WOULD PLAY THAT WHY IS MY CAPS LOCK BROKEN!!!!

iElf
2010-04-24, 05:24 PM
iElf, do you spend time thinking up stuff that will never work? Its amusing.

AWESOME IDEA TIME!

+AnimaITP.

I spend my time having fun^_^

as for an Awesome idea.... HyruleITP has to be done somewhen

Terry576
2010-04-24, 05:24 PM
I KNOW +ANIMAITP WOULD BE AWESOME!

And it doesn't focus on one main character, there are sooo many different things you could play!

Another Awesome One:

DuneITP.

Nuff. Said.

DoomITP
2010-04-24, 05:57 PM
But for AvatarITP we have a major problem:

Is the Avatar an NPC? If not, then we've got the problem of arguing.

Yeah.

That would stink.

The avatar would be someone we all control together as he is extremely important. One person could make the character but he cannot take any important movements on his own.

horngeek
2010-04-24, 06:32 PM
Eh. That, ultimately, would not work.

NanohaitP? Yes please. :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-04-24, 06:37 PM
NanohaitP? Yes please. :smallbiggrin:Maybe if I poke hard enough I can find enough players.

Schürhaken (http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text=poker&sl=en&tl=de#de|en|Sch%C3%BCrhaken), set up!

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 08:48 PM
This started off as an odd harem comedy. It is now DBZ with good writing and fanservice. Well, the manga is at least.

too bad for me- I tried watching Negima. I didn't get too far before aggressively "MEEEEEHHH!!!!!!"'ing

Prime32
2010-04-24, 08:54 PM
too bad for me- I tried watching Negima. I didn't get too far before aggressively "MEEEEEHHH!!!!!!"'ing"Watching"? There are a few anime and one live-action series - they never actually get to the good parts.

You're looking for the manga.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CP74Vlgm1as/SqcV7QaDd7I/AAAAAAAAABg/uZbEclXJOuc/s400/02.jpg

Lord Raziere
2010-04-24, 09:07 PM
"Watching"? There are a few anime and one live-action series - they never actually get to the good parts.

You're looking for the manga.

ah.

I'll try that then.

as for all of peoples ideas for new ITP's.... :smallbiggrin:

hey everyone I ALSO have a new and great idea!

[sarcasm] lets also have, I dunno, Dragonball Z revolution ITP, or an EragonITP, or maybe even a TwilightITP, or heck lets go the whole nine yards and do a HeroesITP starting with the second season, a DnDITP, NerdITP, or *gasp* a ITPITP! or maybe even a real lifeITP! lets go totally crazy with all our ideas and flood the boards purely with ITP's, without any control or restraint whatsoever! it will be great!
[/end sarcasm]

Fan
2010-04-25, 04:45 PM
Well, seeing as it's been awhile since I posted.. I figured this would be the best place to put it rather than any single RP place.

I propose to the masses, a new FFRP, namely. One based in a original creation of Super Robot Wars. (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=F5zbEHsZEI0&feature=related), the tale of a battle between two factions, each fighting for their own morals / beliefs / for the power of love / homicidal rage / to get back home etc.

The center focus of this game.. would obviously be the pilots, and their mechs. The genre's involved can range from something like "I get the power of lovel!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=DQriog4lz0M&feature=related), to
WE'RE ALL DOOMED! (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=U1URLpuvUVw&feature=related).. It allows for pretty much anything within the realm of sanity, and if your Ideon, or an Evangelion... You can get anything within the realm of INSANITY too.

The premise would be based around 2, 3, or even 4 factions going at it.. Each for reasons that will be established when the player made factions emerge.

I would like to get this started, but I would like to hear any interest for this.. before I even attempt to start it...

Prime32
2010-04-27, 08:37 AM
Were you looking for original characters or guys from existing series?

If the latter... I vote KnightDisciple for Hayato. :smalltongue:

Look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140034) for setting material.

It occurs to me that NanohaITP is one of the few concepts where you wouldn't have to set things in an alternate universe. The TSAB is a large organisation, and canon characters would be stretched pretty far and under heavy power limiters (it's unlikely you'll meet one, and if you do you won't automatically be pwned).

Also, you need to alert the General Anime Discussion thread.

Fan
2010-04-28, 07:59 AM
That I do.. and I was hoping for a mix of originals, and appearences from the series.

ApeofLight
2010-04-28, 11:43 AM
I like giant mecha robot battles. There usually pretty awesome.

Hooray for Gundam!

Fan
2010-04-28, 01:39 PM
I like giant mecha robot battles. There usually pretty awesome.

Hooray for Gundam!

Well, again, the focus of the game, and the premise itself. Is Giant Robots punching each other / Izuna Drops / Lazors of death.. but it also includes a mix of sci fi, and supernaturally themed things.

So while something like Wing Gundam would be okay, so would something like Evangelion, or Escaflowne.

Prime32
2010-04-28, 02:26 PM
Well, again, the focus of the game, and the premise itself. Is Giant Robots punching each other / Izuna Drops / Lazors of death.. but it also includes a mix of sci fi, and supernaturally themed things.

So while something like Wing Gundam would be okay, so would something like Evangelion, or Escaflowne.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANcvG8G9lA

Main problem is, even if they're interested how many mecha shows have most of the normal FFRP-goers seen and know well enough to play the characters?

Here's some stuff I'd be pretty familiar with.
Code Geass (+ R2)
Full Metal Panic (first season only)
GaoGaiGar (+ FINAL)
Gundam SEED (+ Destiny)
Gundam 00
New Getter Robo
Shin Mazinger
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I have a lower degree of familiarity with many more - either I have second-hand knowledge or I saw them a long time ago and forgot some of the details.

Would things like Megas XLR, Iron Man and Transformers be allowed? For that matter, what about Power Rangers? (or would players be required to use the Super Sentai versions?)

EleventhHour
2010-04-28, 02:28 PM
*cough*Mechwarrior*cough*

>.>

Prime32
2010-04-28, 02:34 PM
*cough*Mechwarrior*cough*

>.>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8UEqT_5KC4

Fan
2010-04-28, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANcvG8G9lA

Main problem is, even if they're interested how many mecha shows have most of the normal FFRP-goers seen and know well enough to play the characters?

Here's some stuff I'd be pretty familiar with.
Code Geass (+ R2)
Full Metal Panic (first season only)
GaoGaiGar (+ FINAL)
Gundam SEED (+ Destiny)
Gundam 00
New Getter Robo
Shin Mazinger

I have a lower degree of familiarity with many more - either I have second-hand knowledge or I saw them a long time ago and forgot some of the details.

Would things like Megas XLR, Iron Man and Transformers be allowed? For that matter, what about Power Rangers? (or would players be required to use the Super Sentai versions?)

I see no reason not to allow Megas XLR, or Iron Man. SRW Alpha 3 has powered armor units... Transformers INSPIRED the transforming / combining mecha genre, so it'd be insulting not to let it in.

As for power rangers... well This should show you how a Megazord could be useful in a mecha battle. (http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=csBQv9Fye0Y&feature=related)

and here's what I'm familiar with.

Evangelion (Plus End of Evangelion, Evangelion You are (not) alone, Evangelion 2.0 You can (not) advance, and Evangelion gakuen datenroku)

Super Heavy God Gravion

Aquarion

Soul Gain

Overman King Gainer

G Gundam, Wing Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Victory Gundam, Gundam 00 (Destiny)

Aim for the top! Gunbuster!

Linebarrel's of Iron

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Plus Gurren Hen, and Lagann Hen.)

Escaflowne

GaoGaiGar (+Final)

Tomica Hero Rescue Fire

Gun X Sword

Mazinkaiser, Great Mazinger, and it's derivitives.

Getter Robo, Shin Getter Robo, Neo Getter Robo V.S. Getter Robo, and Getter Robo Armageddon.

Transformers Animated.. Only because of the JAM Project opening.

The original transformers (Optimus is a FIRE TRUCK I TELL YOU!)

Warhammer 40k (Imperator Titans.)

Mechwarrior

Battletech

So with that list out of the way... I'd be happy to help anyone who felt like joining, or even someone without any prior knowledge of the genre get into this.

Prime32
2010-04-28, 05:16 PM
and here's what I'm familiar with.

Evangelion (Plus End of Evangelion, Evangelion You are (not) alone, Evangelion 2.0 You can (not) advance, and Evangelion gakuen datenroku)

Super Heavy God Gravion

Aquarion

Soul Gain

Overman King Gainer

G Gundam, Wing Gundam, Turn A Gundam, Victory Gundam, Gundam 00 (Destiny)

Aim for the top! Gunbuster!

Linebarrel's of Iron

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Plus Gurren Hen, and Lagann Hen.)

Escaflowne

GaoGaiGar (+Final)

Tomica Hero Rescue Fire

Gun X Sword

Mazinkaiser, Great Mazinger, and it's derivitives.

Getter Robo, Shin Getter Robo, Neo Getter Robo V.S. Getter Robo, and Getter Robo Armageddon.

Transformers Animated.. Only because of the JAM Project opening.

The original transformers (Optimus is a FIRE TRUCK I TELL YOU!)

Warhammer 40k (Imperator Titans.)

Mechwarrior

Battletech
When I said "pretty familiar" I meant shows that I felt I understood. Evangelion cannot be on my list for that reason. :smalltongue:

I suppose you could add Transformers to my list, since if they showed up here they probably wouldn't fit any existing incarnation.

Also, WHY IS RESCUE FIRE'S BUDGET SO BIG COMPARED TO SUPER SENTAI?

Nerd-o-rama
2010-04-28, 05:16 PM
Transformers INSPIRED the transforming / combining mecha genre, so it'd be insulting not to let it in.

*cough* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter_robo)

I agree with most of what else you say there, though, including that Transfomers could be included - the only reason they haven't been in actual SRWs is that they're a flagship property of Bandai/Namco's biggest rival in the toy business.

I may play, but I'm more likely to hang back and give actual advice, given that I'm already playing in (and modding, a little) a very similar concept to this on LiveJournal.

Prime32
2010-04-28, 05:17 PM
First transforming mecha was Raideen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDcbXP-Bqo), IIRC. Or was that just the first one with a transformation which wasn't unpossible?
http://www.big-metto.net/Upload/files/unpossible.gif

I can't remember whether Transformers or Machine Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dzmjYEGivQ) ("GOD HAND SMASH!") came first.

Technically Mazinger Z (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux3l3TAZVUI), the first Super Robot (Gigantor doesn't count), was a combining mecha, since it was piloted by docking a hovercraft to its head.

Fan
2010-04-28, 05:23 PM
First transforming mecha was Raideen, IIRC.

I can't remember whether Transformers or Machine Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dzmjYEGivQ) came first.

Wikipedia has the dates.. and Getter Robo JUST beats it out.

Ah well, I know when I'm wrong... Sorry.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-28, 05:27 PM
I'd be quite tempted to throw in something from Zoids (which I am told was used in one of the SRW games)... If you're lucky, I'll even go for something which wasn't designed to be a weapon of mass annihilation. Alternatively, I can just pick out the Deathsaurer, Geno Breaker, Berserk Fury, Seismosaurus, Bio Tyranno or pretty much anything with Liger in the name.

Prime32
2010-04-28, 05:30 PM
I'd be quite tempted to throw in something from Zoids (which I am told was used in one of the SRW games)... If you're lucky, I'll even go for something which wasn't designed to be a weapon of mass annihilation. Alternatively, I can just pick out the Deathsaurer, Geno Breaker, Berserk Fury, Seismosaurus, Bio Tyranno or pretty much anything with Liger in the name.My knowledge of Zoids is limited to "they're big robot dinosaurs". :smalltongue:

And sure they were in SRW K, but it also had these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilhpqWTNTz0) guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA16tpzQUU0). :smalltongue:

Fan
2010-04-28, 05:38 PM
Ah, I forgot about Zoids.. Liger Zero, Red Liger Who's name I forget... you were awesome.

Though Shield Ligers seemed to vary wildly from "Supah Mook!" to "Badass hero with a plasma shield!"...

Also, I here by call dibs on the pilot of the local Evangelion 01 pilot.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-28, 05:55 PM
Ah, I forgot about Zoids.. Liger Zero, Red Liger Who's name I forget... you were awesome.

Though Shield Ligers seemed to vary wildly from "Supah Mook!" to "Badass hero with a plasma shield!"...

Also, I here by call dibs on the pilot of the local Evangelion 01 pilot.

Red Liger would have either been the Liger Zero Jager, Liger Zero Phoenix or the red Blade Liger- all depends on whether you saw New Century Zero or Fuzors. But yes, Shield Ligers are the weak cousins of all other Liger designs- but they came first.

Edit: Red Liger may also have been the Hayate Liger if you watched zoids Genesis.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-28, 06:03 PM
hmmm....mecha shows I'm familiar with...

Gundams SEED, SEED Destiny and 00
TTGL
Evangelion
Aquarion
Full metal Panic, all three seasons
Escaflowne
code geass
I've also watched three episodes of Turn A Gundam.

Mercenary Pen
2010-04-28, 06:34 PM
Okay, for my full list of mecha shows:

Zoids (chaotic century, new century zero, fuzors, genesis)
Code Geass (the season which does exist and the one which doesn't)
Gundam (all bar super-deformed variants)
Macross (all of)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Panic (all of)
Martian Successor Nadesico
Currently watching GaoGaiGar (have finished episode 4)

Prime32
2010-04-29, 03:43 AM
I was looking through the lists to see which ones we have in common, and before I gave up out of laziness I noticed that Code Geass is not on Fan's list. Didn't you used to have a Lelouch av? :smallconfused:

Also, you list "Gundam 00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2_EA2tUFc) Destiny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Li7zgea9Q)" and "Soul Gain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yycBxCQ41dg)", which are not anime.

Given the number of posts on the topic, I think I'll start a thread for it... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150780)

Fan
2010-04-29, 08:04 AM
I was looking through the lists to see which ones we have in common, and before I gave up out of laziness I noticed that Code Geass is not on Fan's list. Didn't you used to have a Lelouch av? :smallconfused:

Also, you list "Gundam 00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2_EA2tUFc) Destiny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Li7zgea9Q)" and "Soul Gain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yycBxCQ41dg)", which are not anime.

Given the number of posts on the topic, I think I'll start a thread for it... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150780)

Forgot about Code Geass in a brain fart moment...

and.,.

http://www.animeseason.com/kidou-senshi-gundam-seed-destiny/

http://www.animeseason.com/kidou-senshi-gundam-00/

Are not anime? You confuse me so. Verily so.:smallconfused:

Prime32
2010-04-29, 10:35 AM
http://www.animeseason.com/kidou-senshi-gundam-seed-destiny/

http://www.animeseason.com/kidou-senshi-gundam-00/

Are not anime? You confuse me so. Verily so.:smallconfused:Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam 00 are anime. Gundam 00 Destiny is not.

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-29, 05:58 PM
Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam 00 are anime. Gundam 00 Destiny is not.

I thought that was only Gundam ZZ that wasn't.

Lord Raziere
2010-04-29, 06:10 PM
Gundam SEED Destiny and Gundam 00 are anime. Gundam 00 Destiny is not.

*facepalms* :smallsigh: that seems a little pedantic...

Terry576
2010-04-30, 10:12 PM
Alright, time to get a setup going:

Soul EaterITP.

You have several choices:

You are a Student at Death's Academy. (Least Powerful, Most Options, Weapon/Meister.)

You are a Death Scythe/Three-Star Meister. (Most Powerful, Least Options, Weapon/Meister.)

You are a Witch. (Moderate Power, Moderate Options, Moderate Moderate Moderate.)

You are a Reaper. (Depends on what you're deciding on.)

Hell yes, structure rocks. I'm hoping to ask force Happy into helping me.

Because I'm nice like that. :smalltongue:

Maximum Zersk
2010-04-30, 10:28 PM
Alright, time to get a setup going:

Soul EaterITP.

You have several choices:

You are a Student at Death's Academy. (Least Powerful, Most Options, Weapon/Meister.)

You are a Death Scythe/Three-Star Meister. (Most Powerful, Least Options, Weapon/Meister.)

You are a Witch. (Moderate Power, Moderate Options, Moderate Moderate Moderate.)

You are a Reaper. (Depends on what you're deciding on.)

Hell yes, structure rocks. I'm hoping to ask force Happy into helping me.

Because I'm nice like that. :smalltongue:

Yes. Just yes.

Terry576
2010-04-30, 10:33 PM
Yes. Just yes.

Sorry Zersk, but I plan on having at least a single discussion thread for this. Why, might you ask? Because I don't want this to be a repeat of BleachITP.

You know, everybody can destroy everything? Yeah.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-01, 02:45 PM
Okay, I know some of you already know about this. I'm also not sure if this was already mentioned.

Recently, Camp Half-Blood In The Playground was started, based on Rick Riordan's book series "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" (which is nothing like the movie that was based on it, honest.)

Now recently, the idea came to make a parallel one for Egyptian Mythos. And then came the Nordic one. And now one based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

I just wanted to mention that for a sec. :smallsmile:

Terry576
2010-05-01, 02:55 PM
Trouble is, none of em are all that, well... good. Not to be impolite or anything, but they kinda stink. :smallredface: Just my opinion.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-01, 03:13 PM
Trouble is, none of em are all that, well... good. Not to be impolite or anything, but they kinda stink. :smallredface: Just my opinion.

Terry, I forget. Which part did you leave?

Terry576
2010-05-01, 04:03 PM
Around the fourth thread in CHB: Greece.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-01, 04:06 PM
I forget. Was that before or after Kronus appeared and almost killed everybody within a 1km radius?

IcemanJRC
2010-05-01, 05:07 PM
I forget. Was that before or after Kronus appeared and almost killed everybody within a 1km radius?

Pretty sure that was before...

horngeek
2010-05-02, 05:53 AM
I still want a NanohaitP. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-05-02, 07:01 AM
I still want a NanohaitP. :smalltongue:There's already an SRWitP. It's the same thing.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-02, 09:17 AM
There's already an SRWitP. It's the same thing.

oh, another "Nanoha = giant mecha without the giant mecha" joke, hmph! I don't see what everyone is talking about, I'm all the way to season three and its pure magical girl.

Prime32
2010-05-02, 09:23 AM
oh, another "Nanoha = giant mecha without the giant mecha" joke, hmph! I don't see what everyone is talking about, I'm all the way to season three and its pure magical girl.The number of references are truly absurd. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalGirlLyricalNanoha)
Amusingly, the show is absolutely crammed with shout-outs to other anime series:

* The producer of the series, Akio Mishima, has come out on record as saying that much of the series was inspired by Nanoha's "Gundam-ish" concept art, particularly the staff and the colours of her uniform (Nanoha tribute fanbook, in Megami Magazine #91).
o He's also apparently a fan of Super Robot Wars. Therefore... well look at who's voicing Chrono, when he's adult and young (they both voice the Official Couple of the Alpha series). And there's also this "little girl with dragon summon" that has the same VA as a certain Choukijin pilot, or Nanoha's brother, who shares a VA with a certain Mas� Kishin pilot (and a Gundam Pilot), though to be fair, he's been voiced by the same guy since his debut in Triangle Heart 3 Sweet Songs Forever.
o Fate also gets a major shout-out in the form of her Intelligent Device's sword form - a black sword with a trident-shaped hilt. That extends for MILES.
o The worst offender, however, has got to be the abundant similarities between Signum and Lamia Loveless (on top of the similarities in background, personality, and even attacks, they also have the same voice).
+ In StrikerS, Signum is often accompanied by a red-headed nun with a similar fighting style to Axel Almer. Lamia and Axel both debuted in Super Robot Wars Advance, where they were rivals.
o Also, while this is less of a blatant one than the previous one, maybe you should give Zest Grangeitz a look. Now imagine what happens when you give Sanger Zonvolt, The Sword That Smites Evil! brown hair... see what I mean?
+ SRW has started giving Nanoha Shout Outs back - in SRWZ, the Balgora Glory's attacks suspiciously resemble Nanoha's.
Setsuko: "The Glory Star, FULL BURST!"
* Many of the attacks and techniques in the series are homages to mecha series, notably Mobile Suit Gundam and Gao Gai Gar. And especially Subaru, who can be considered a moe compact-sized GaoGaiGar.
o A fact that has not escaped the fans in any way.
o Subaru's roller blades and "Wing Road" are possibly Shout Outs to Air Gear... or Combattler V, for that matter.
o Meanwhile, her Revolver Knuckle and her sister's name are references to Gear Fighter Dendoh, while the physical appearance of the sisters (particularly hairstyle and ribbons) recalls Noriko and Kazumi, the pilots of Gunbuster (which happens to have spiked rollerblades built in).
* The plot arc of the three series is broadly similar to that of the Gundam series Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam, with the blond nemesis doing a Heel Face Turn and appearing as an ally in the second series, and a long Time Skip between the penultimate series and the final installment, during which the protagonists grow up (Chars Counterattack). As a matter of fact, Nanoha uses funnels during the third series, making the resemblance even more pronounced. The main difference is that Fate, unlike Char, does not undergo a later Face Heel Turn.
* Reinforce, and her tinier, cuter incarnation, Reinforce Zwei. In Victory Gundam, there's a battleship named Reinforce, which was later remodeled into the Reinforce Junior... Coincidence? Some think not.
* Testarossa, as a name, sounds suspiciously like...scratch that, exactly like, one character from Full Metal Panic.
o More likely it is a reference to Ferrari Testarossa, considering the numerous amount of characters that have taken their names from cars (Signum, Shamal, Vita, Zafira, Teana, Subaru, Erio, Caro etc)
o Fate being created as a replacement for her parent's dead child and then rejected by said parent may be based on Astro Boy.
* The second episode features an Expy of Ein from Cowboy Bebop being possessed by a Jewel Seed.
* Teana's weapon, Cross Mirage is named after a mech from The Five Star Stories & its design appropriately has a slight Mamoru Nagano vibe to it.
* Not an anime shout-out, but the A's in Nanoha A's is a phonetic sound-alike of "Ace," and that season also features the first appearance of "Belkan Knights," who utilize a triangle array in their magic. In Ace Combat, the Belkan Air Force uses a triangle as its emblem and is rooted in the traditions of the ancient orders of Belkan knights.
o Hence this...
* The new Force character is named Touma. His Device is called Divider996. This is either a blatant reference to To Aru Majutsu No Index or a very, very strange coincidence.
o Or MAYBE named after the Super Robot hero of Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 Touma Kanou. Let's cross our fingers and see whether this new Touma develops Kamen Rider-ish magics.
o Also, in the same promotional manga, Signum referred to the Huckebein family.
o Somewhat incidentally, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has the Silent Protagonist Ace Pilot designated under Division 6, Unit 66 *
that's basically 666; invert the first two digits vertically and draw your own conclusions.
. And in both Ace Combat Zero and Ace Combat 5, there is another Ace Pilot NPC who's nicknamed "Huckebein".
* New ViVid character Einhart has the family name of Stratos. Part Vehicular Theme Naming, part Gundam 00 reference.
o She also has an attack called "Dankuuken"
* Jail Scaglietti looks like Ingram Plisken.
* Lutecia's summon, Garyu, is an insect like humanoid monster with a similar design to a Kamen Rider. To add to this, its arm can form a blade similar to the one Gils can form, has a Scarf Of Asskicking and, in a fight with Erio, kicks in a very similar way to a Rider Kick.
* Vita's hammer can take on a form that is a reference to Gao Gai Gar and another which references Gurren Lagann with a drill on the front (TTGL aired in the same season as StrikerS and the hammer is voiced by the same Japanese VA as Simon). Appropriately, this scene not only counted as a Crowning Moment Of Awesome for Vita, but showed Vita to be a Determinator like everyone's favorite Hot Blooded Gurren Lagann protagonists.
* Is it just me, or does Sankt Kaiser Olivie in ViVid look a lot like Saber?
o Einhart also wears an outfit similar to Saber's casual clothes.
o Along the same lines, Lutecia looks suspiciously like a loli Rider.
o Dropping all pretenses, the Vivid manga will be crossing over with Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya. No, it's not a fan fic.◊
* Look me in the eyes and tell me Agito was not inspired by Etna.
* Look at this guy from the new Force manga. Now, go play Final Fantasy 8 and take a look at Squall Leonhart. No, you aren't hallucinating, they really are a scar and a bottle of hair dye away from having basically the exact same character design.
o Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that lady who was with him in an earlier page look a lot like Shanoa?
* The Numbers's outfits suspiciously resemble plugsuits from Neon Genesis Evangelion, right down to the wristcuffs, shoulder armor things, and hair ornaments.
* Sette (Cyborg #7) resembles Mylene Jenius from Macross7.
* Seriously Fate's Zeus Zanber is very very similiar with Wodan's Hoshinagi no Tachi.
* In the first scene of Caro's appearance, she's wearing a hooded cloak that looks suspiciously like one worn in the first appearance of a certain other summoner/white mage staff chick.
* If you tell me that Nanoha's Starlight Breaker is not taken from Lightning Breaker, then you obviously lying.
o Viewers of Soul Taker should also find the glove device Jail used to fight Sonic Drive Fate familiar (and to a lesser extent, the other glove devices in the series).
* Nanoha and Kira Yamato: Purple-eyed protagonists who return Older And Wiser, gain Attack Drones and are more powerful than a(n un)healthy number of the newcomers.
* One of Material-L's palettes gives her greenish-blue in place of her standard sky blue, which may remind one of Hatsune Miku.
* Sein's IS ability is called Deep Diver - it allows her to swim through solid objects. This bears a striking resemblance to the ability shown by Read Or Die's Ms. Deep
* Cinque wears a Badass Longcoat and has the ability to charge throwing weapons with explosive energy, similar to Gambit.

And how many magical girl series have battles that look like dogfights? :smallconfused:

See if any of these look or sound familiar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds46-Q3LUo4#t=2m
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKr64eEiOWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8zed--Ovc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpUvbnOlekc

Beans
2010-05-02, 09:24 AM
I think by making so many of them, we're opening the door for natural selection; the less-good ones will die off, hopefully.

Ashen Lilies
2010-05-02, 09:40 AM
Okay, I know some of you already know about this. I'm also not sure if this was already mentioned.

Recently, Camp Half-Blood In The Playground was started, based on Rick Riordan's book series "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" (which is nothing like the movie that was based on it, honest.)

Now recently, the idea came to make a parallel one for Egyptian Mythos. And then came the Nordic one. And now one based on the Lovecraft Mythos.

I just wanted to mention that for a sec. :smallsmile:

I'm hoping they won't all require their own OoC and Registry Threads. Such a thing would be... madness.
*steps away from pit*

ApeofLight
2010-05-02, 10:44 AM
*Goes to kick but falls in pit*

This is FFRP!!!

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-02, 02:22 PM
I think by making so many of them, we're opening the door for natural selection; the less-good ones will die off, hopefully.

Hmm, could work like that.

I'm hoping they won't all require their own OoC and Registry Threads. Such a thing would be... madness.
*steps away from pit*

As far as I know, only the Egyptian and the Greek one have their own. The other two use the Greek one.

horngeek
2010-05-02, 02:28 PM
*steps away from pit*

Madness?

THIS! IS! FFRP! :smallfurious:

*KICKS! INTO! PIT!* :smallfurious:

(:smalltongue:)

Raz_Fox
2010-05-02, 02:49 PM
*Walks into thread, says "Ouch"*

Evening, all. Nice place you've got here, shame I hadn't checked it out before. Looks like there's some expansion going on at the moment, and it'd be a shame and a half to just throw a half-baked game into the melting pot.

To cut to the chase, I'm mulling over some ideas for a game, inspired by the runaway success of BleachITP. However, instead of being an impulsive idiot and posting a thread RIGHT AWAY, I'm thinking of testing the waters first and seeing who's interested, and how it would work. Y'know, kind of like what's happening over at BleachITP Reborn.

...Oh, I haven't mentioned what I'm planning, have I? Think DC, think Marvel, think Superheroes in the Playground. I have heard of METROPOLIS, but from what I've seen that's not what I'm looking to cook up. Anyway, would this thread be the best place to look for interest, or should I post some kind of finding players thread in the forum?

horngeek
2010-05-02, 02:50 PM
Well, we had a try of one of those earlier... but I think another one would be cool anyway. :smallcool:

Count me as interested.

happyturtle
2010-05-02, 02:56 PM
Yes, this is the best place. Although a 'looking for players' in the pbp section might not hurt, as long as you explain the differences between ffrp and normal pbp games.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-02, 04:15 PM
*Walks into thread, says "Ouch"*

Evening, all. Nice place you've got here, shame I hadn't checked it out before. Looks like there's some expansion going on at the moment, and it'd be a shame and a half to just throw a half-baked game into the melting pot.

To cut to the chase, I'm mulling over some ideas for a game, inspired by the runaway success of BleachITP. However, instead of being an impulsive idiot and posting a thread RIGHT AWAY, I'm thinking of testing the waters first and seeing who's interested, and how it would work. Y'know, kind of like what's happening over at BleachITP Reborn.

...Oh, I haven't mentioned what I'm planning, have I? Think DC, think Marvel, think Superheroes in the Playground. I have heard of METROPOLIS, but from what I've seen that's not what I'm looking to cook up. Anyway, would this thread be the best place to look for interest, or should I post some kind of finding players thread in the forum?

no, this thread is the best place.

as for superheroes in the playground....:smallbiggrin:

I have like.....my own superhero setting in progress as one of my pet projects......if you can get a superhero setting off the ground here, I will just have fun with the game..

on problem though

we can't name it Super Heroes In The Playground.
why?
cause the acronym spells out SH-ITP. (remove the hyphen and you get what I mean)

Prime32
2010-05-02, 04:17 PM
HeroesITP th- no... :smallconfused:

Zarah
2010-05-02, 04:24 PM
Heh. I actually had a FFRP setting in the works quite a while ago that dealt with superheroes in a way. It was kind of an amalgamation of zombie survival, superheroes and post-apocalyptic living. The way I always described it was "Heroes meets Left 4 Dead meets Fallout meets Half-Life 2." :smalltongue:

I still have the original write-ups, but I've mostly given up ever getting it off the ground.

Lord Raziere
2010-05-02, 04:28 PM
HeroesITP th- no... :smallconfused:

Maybe X-MenITP? Could be just the name you know, doesn't have to revolve around X-Men, and if we get enough people the ITP would probably function the same way.

happyturtle
2010-05-02, 04:28 PM
Supers itp?

I'm just offering ideas though. I don't have the time or energy for another rp universe.

horngeek
2010-05-02, 04:30 PM
Supers itp?

I'm just offering ideas though. I don't have the time or energy for another rp universe.

This. Works best. :smalltongue:

Hmmm... I'm not sure what exactly to have as a character, actually. Probably put Steel Girl back in.

(Steel girl was my answer to Iron Man)

Boo
2010-05-02, 04:33 PM
City of Heroes itP = CHitP. =D

Super Powers itP = SPitP. =+D

iElf
2010-05-02, 05:52 PM
would anybody be potentially interested in a 6thworldITP/ShadowrunITP?

just asking :shrug:

Beans
2010-05-09, 11:40 AM
Supers itp?

I do.
I tried to get a sort of superhero-ish RP started on a different site, but it looks like nope.

So I suppose I'll see if anyone is interested here...
Trason City, New York.
The huge Statue of Justice overlooks the city. A woman, blindfolded, with balance-scales in one hand and a sword in the other.
How fitting, then, is the city's crime problem. The police are in over their heads.
From this, heroes will rise. They have found powers within themselves, and they will strive to light the city's darkest hour.
But there are those who would use their own powers for evil. They will drag the city down, down into the oily, clinging dark...
What side will you choose?
~~~
Yes, this is an RP involving heroes and villains and, very likely, powers.
There are several ways this could go.

Perhaps something dark and gritty (yum, grit) in the general spirit of The Dark Knight trilogy-type-stuff? Where powers, if any, are minimal, and general human ability and technology are the order of the day...

Or, if you guys and gals and robots want, something a bit campy, a bit over-the-top, with flamboyance and a bit of silliness to have fun with?

Or something in the middle...

PLEASE VOICE ANY QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, SUGGESTIONS, OPINIONS, OR WHATEVER.
Might name it something like City Of Powers or something... COPITP?

horngeek
2010-05-09, 02:43 PM
Well, if we do it, I'd like something... similar in feel to the Marvel Universe- the heroes are real people, with real problems, but at the same time, they're (mostly) heroes.

Beans
2010-05-09, 02:45 PM
And the same deal with the villains, I presume?
Sounds tasty.
Num num.

horngeek
2010-05-09, 02:49 PM
And the same deal with the villains, I presume?
Sounds tasty.
Num num.

Well, with some exceptions- I mean, you can't really accuse Galactus of being human, can you? :smalltongue:

Beans
2010-05-09, 02:50 PM
Dude's just hungry, but he can't ever find Twinkies big enough.

Yeah, I see your point.

Anyone else feeling superheroey?

Raistlin1040
2010-05-09, 02:52 PM
I might be. Dipping my feet back in with PokemonITP, might jump into a Superhero one.

Beans
2010-05-09, 03:03 PM
Yay, cool times!

Any suggestions?

Earl of Purple
2010-05-09, 03:07 PM
I love superheroes. I am definately in. Don't have any suggestions, though.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-09, 03:14 PM
Though, if I do play, I'm going to end up as an ambiguous character. Probably an Anti-Villain, if anything. Not a straight Hero or Villain, and Anti-Heroes are a bit out of my territory.

Beans
2010-05-09, 03:16 PM
I myself am planning on playing a villain... not exactly a Snidely Whiplash twirl-my-moustachio-say-"nyahaha"-and-run-away villain, though.

horngeek
2010-05-09, 03:19 PM
I'm going to play a hero, on the other hand. Probably with powers that are like Waterbending from Avatar: the last Airbender.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-09, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking something like a Poison Ivy type, unless someone else wants to do that.

Beans
2010-05-09, 03:30 PM
I'll be going for a sort of walking toxin disaster.

Falgorn
2010-05-09, 04:55 PM
Last Superhero FFRP failed, but I'm ready for another.
I'm on board. And character wise, I'm either doing a straight hero or an anti-villain.
Can someone explain the difference between an anti-hero and an anti-villain to me?

horngeek
2010-05-09, 05:03 PM
Last Superhero FFRP failed, but I'm ready for another.
I'm on board. And character wise, I'm either doing a straight hero or an anti-villain.
Can someone explain the difference between an anti-hero and an anti-villain to me?

Anti-hero is a deconstruction of the hero- in the same way, the anti-villain is a deconstruction of the villain. That's the most accurate answer I can give.

Falgorn
2010-05-09, 05:07 PM
Anti-hero is a deconstruction of the hero- in the same way, the anti-villain is a deconstruction of the villain.
Citation needed, Horngeek. :smalltongue:

But then, what would be the difference between anti-hero and anti-villain? Does the villain use sinister ways to achieve a good cause?
Good ways to achieve an evil cause?
Somewhere inbetween?

The questions vex and irk me.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-09, 05:25 PM
Citation needed, Horngeek. :smalltongue:

But then, what would be the difference between anti-hero and anti-villain? Does the villain use sinister ways to achieve a good cause?
Good ways to achieve an evil cause?
Somewhere inbetween?

The questions vex and irk me.

Think of Redcloak. He'd be an Anti-villain. Now, think of V. Sie would be an Anti-Hero.

Beans
2010-05-09, 05:44 PM
An anti-villain is a villain who's actually a sympathetic, likeable person. Like... Mr. Freeze from the Batman Animated Series, where he's all like I NEEDS MONEY AND DIAMONDS TO CURE MY WIFEY.

An anti-hero is good, but a buttface.

Raz_Fox
2010-05-09, 05:50 PM
...Well, I was going to wait a bit and refine my ideas for a superhero game, but since we've got a sudden upsurge of interest, I'll take the opportunity that has been handed me by fate. Thank my lovely assistant, if you would, and we'll move right into the main act.

The story would revolve around a city, such as - if you'll allow me to steal the name - Trason City. Several superhero/supervillain "teams" would be the main movers and shakers, to avoid the "it's all about me" menality too easy to slip into when writing about superheroes.

Magic? Mad Science? Implausible Training? It's all good, and they're all to be seen in Trason City. Superheroes only emerged about fifty years ago, though, due to this reason and that reason - but most superheroes these days are "second-gen" heroes, inspired by the "first-gen" that have mostly retired (bar insanely tough veterans, the occasional immortal being and - while this is "cheating" - legacy heroes). Much like the DCU, it's possible to have DARK GRITTY Batman and WACKY CRAZY Plastic Man; the general mood is a touch light-hearted, but still capable of drama and seriousness.

Trason City is the "city of adventure", as it hosts both a booming economy and a seedy underworld, as well as some of the finest scientific labs in the country. Super-beings are often drawn here - some societies base themselves here because the First Superhero was from Trason, while others do it due to convenience. This, like a cheese factory attracting rats, attracts supervillains. But for your average citizen, life is pretty normal, you know? Oh, their cousin was held hostage once, and they got to see the Justice Society duke out with the Injustice Gang, but that's just part of life at Trason.

Much like Beans, I am listening for commentary and suggestions.

Also: an anti-hero is a hero you hate for his borderline-villainous actions, while an anti-villain is a villain you love for his ultimately pure motives.

Raistlin1040
2010-05-09, 05:50 PM
We should get this thread rolling!

No, not just because I'm terribly bored.

Beans
2010-05-09, 05:52 PM
...Well, I was going to wait a bit and refine my ideas for a superhero game, but since we've got a sudden upsurge of interest, I'll take the opportunity that has been handed me by fate. Thank my lovely assistant, if you would, and we'll move right into the main act.

The story would revolve around a city, such as - if you'll allow me to steal the name - Trason City. Several superhero/supervillain "teams" would be the main movers and shakers, to avoid the "it's all about me" menality too easy to slip into when writing about superheroes.

Magic? Mad Science? Implausible Training? It's all good, and they're all to be seen in Trason City. Superheroes only emerged about fifty years ago, though, due to this reason and that reason - but most superheroes these days are "second-gen" heroes, inspired by the "first-gen" that have mostly retired (bar insanely tough veterans, the occasional immortal being and - while this is "cheating" - legacy heroes). Much like the DCU, it's possible to have DARK GRITTY Batman and WACKY CRAZY Plastic Man; the general mood is a touch light-hearted, but still capable of drama and seriousness.

Trason City is the "city of adventure", as it hosts both a booming economy and a seedy underworld, as well as some of the finest scientific labs in the country. Super-beings are often drawn here - some societies base themselves here because the First Superhero was from Trason, while others do it due to convenience. This, like a cheese factory attracting rats, attracts supervillains. But for your average citizen, life is pretty normal, you know? Oh, their cousin was held hostage once, and they got to see the Justice Society duke out with the Injustice Gang, but that's just part of life at Trason.

Much like Beans, I am listening for commentary and suggestions.

Also: an anti-hero is a hero you hate for his borderline-villainous actions, while an anti-villain is a villain you love for his ultimately pure motives.
OH MY GOD MARRY ME OR SOMETHING.

Um... Raz should make the thread!
I'm bloated and lazy because Mexican food.

Maximum Zersk
2010-05-09, 05:56 PM
OH MY GOD MARRY ME OR SOMETHING.

Um... Raz should make the thread!
I'm bloated and lazy because Mexican food.

Interesting...

...hey, you could have been attacked by Anthrophiliac ducks instead. Mexican Food saved you by making sure you didn't get in the way of Anthrophliac ducks.

Beans
2010-05-09, 06:16 PM
Yeah...
We should totally start this.

Raz_Fox
2010-05-09, 06:25 PM
Behold! Issue #1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8462221) of SupersITP!

Terry576
2010-05-10, 09:06 PM
... That is so incredibly awesome. Also:

This is FFRP. Everything is patently ridiculous.

Zarah
2010-06-07, 11:39 PM
*Cough* Oh hey, look what I found hiding on us...

Anyway, the reason for the bump is mostly because I wanted to see what kind of interest there would be in (yet) another of my FFRPG ideas. It's something I've been kinda toying around with for the past few days and probably needs a fair bit of planning, but I think it could potentially work out. So, what is it?

Final Fantasy in the Playground

Basically, we take the staples of your average Final Fantasy game and apply it into a universe that we create to tell our own stories. I'd prefer to make it our own creation and stay away from any of the previously established universes, since that gives us a blank slate for all kinds of storytelling. The only problem with that model is that there'd be a lot of overhead planning before it could really get started. Things like rules about magic, technology levels, species, politics and possibly even a world map would all have to be ironed out more or less before anything gets off the ground. However, there's a lot of great world-builders here in the playground, and this would make a great exercise. :smalltongue:

So, are there any takers?

happyturtle
2010-06-07, 11:47 PM
Oh right. This thread.

Announcement: Acro and Town have formally merged to become the [Nexus] universe.

Acro and Town tags will still be seen on older threads, but hopefully the new tag will be used consistently from now on.

And can I jump on my soapbox again and beg people to PLEASE use their universe's tags in thread titles. Pretty please? Pretty pretty please with lolcats on top? http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/smilies/happy0191.gif

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7SwGvzdGQ3g/Sw-njyDbbMI/AAAAAAAAAbc/l5IlPapZu-A/s1600/begging_lolcat.jpg

Ashen Lilies
2010-06-07, 11:51 PM
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq40/happyturtle-avs/smilies/happy0191.gif

The smiley has spoken. You must obey.

Terry576
2010-06-09, 09:30 AM

Anyway, the reason for the bump is mostly because I wanted to see what kind of interest there would be in (yet) another of my FFRPG ideas. It's something I've been kinda toying around with for the past few days and probably needs a fair bit of planning, but I think it could potentially work out. So, what is it?

Basically, we take the staples of your average Final Fantasy game and apply it into a universe that we create to tell our own stories. I'd prefer to make it our own creation and stay away from any of the previously established universes, since that gives us a blank slate for all kinds of storytelling. The only problem with that model is that there'd be a lot of overhead planning before it could really get started. Things like rules about magic, technology levels, species, politics and possibly even a world map would all have to be ironed out more or less before anything gets off the ground. However, there's a lot of great world-builders here in the playground, and this would make a great exercise. :smalltongue:

I approve. I approve this so hard.

Kuroimaken
2010-06-09, 01:00 PM

Well, let's first list the staples, why don't we?

-Chocobos
-Gil as a currency
-A guy named Cid
-Moogles
-Moruboru (AKA Marlboro in the English version)
-Genjuu (AKA Espers, Summons, Aeons etc.)
-Bahamut (not listed under Genjuu because he's an actual NPC in FF1)
-Weapons? (As far as I know, giant mechano-organic Godzilla-like monsters are not exclusive to FF7)
-Ancient civilizations = rickety robots
-Jump/Steal/Mug (the 'classic' commands in FF; obviously less relevant in Freeform, but still)
-Crystals, often sentient, or at least containing massive amounts of wisdom
-Anachronisms (using giant swords in a modern setting where firearms are available, airships/trains in a medieval environment)
-BBEG frequently wants to destroy the world. Not always obvious (or did you honestly think it was more likely for Gestahl to be the final boss in FFVI?)
-Staple classes (Black/Red/White Mages, Knights, Dragoons, Thieves, Summoners, Party Mascot)
-Staple spells (Fire/ra/ga, Blizzard/ra/ga, and so on and forth)

That about covers a good part of it, methinks.

One thing to be decided first would be the technologic level. FF takes part in settings with tech ranging from gritty medieval (with a little magic mixed in) to Renaissance to Victorian to full-blown futuristic environments. Granted, a good deal of the players are more likely to have played FFVII/VIII as their firsts. Others might prefer something resembling FFIV-VI.

Neknoh
2010-06-09, 03:09 PM
Working with Zarah on a possible world at the moment.

Brainstorming state, it will be kinda open worlded with lots of opportunities for players to mould the story and the world around them as the game progresses.

Morty
2010-06-09, 03:12 PM
A shame that Ravens RP of yours never got off the ground Neknoh, now that I remember it.

Fan
2010-06-09, 03:12 PM

Me, I should have seen this sooner. I am an embarrassment to my name. :smallfrown:

Neknoh
2010-06-09, 04:04 PM
A shame that Ravens RP of yours never got off the ground Nenkoh, now that I remember it.

It wasn't a well structured world for a Free Form RP anyhow, I've still got it kicking around at the back of my head, and partly on my laptop and in notebooks, got structure, characters and meetings/events down for a book set in the world ;)

And it's NEKnoh :smalltongue:

But yeah, working with Zarah on world design for this, let's keep our fingers crossed this takes off (I'm better at launching stuff than seing them through, so world design suits me well).

Morty
2010-06-09, 04:08 PM
And it's NEKnoh :smalltongue:

What do you mean? I totally typed it this way for the first time. >.>

Draken
2010-06-09, 04:14 PM
Me, I should have seen this sooner. I am an embarrassment to my name. :smallfrown:

You changed it remember?

Zarah
2010-06-09, 07:16 PM
Well, let's first list the staples, why don't we?

*snip*

That about covers a good part of it, methinks.
You're right on pretty much all the points there. Once things get rolling a little more, we can set up a checklist of sorts so everyone readily knows what we have and what we might still be waiting on in development.

Which brings me to another thing that we'll likely need. Boss fights. :smallbiggrin: Everyone is free to make any kinds of characters they want, but ideas for one-shot monsters to act as "bosses" are highly encouraged.

Brainstorming state, it will be kinda open worlded with lots of opportunities for players to mould the story and the world around them as the game progresses.
I think the world will work well, but I'd like to bring attention to this right here. While I have no problem if people want to go off and tell their own stories, the heart of Final Fantasy is about telling a long-spanning, epic story, which I think we should stay mostly true to. I've noticed that when RPGs start, if you simply give players a world but nothing to do, then... Nothing happens, since nobody has any real direction. Like I said, I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity, but I'd like to make sure things stay flowing without anyone getting bored.

Perhaps rather than a single group of "main" characters, there could be a couple groups moving toward the same goal, seeing each others as rivals, or as downright enemies...

InyutheBeatIs
2010-06-09, 07:33 PM
Alright, first off, I'm at least keeping my eye on this idea, maybe joining as a potential player, but definately watching this. Secondly, as to boss ideas, I can only come up with one off of the top of my head. I'll put it in spoilers so as to not distract from the conversation. If this is the wrong place to put it, tell me and I will edit it out. Oh, wait...forgot about the monster bit. Ah well, here's a character idea anyways. :smalltongue:

A human of some sort weilding a chain with two very large bladed pendants at the ends in the shape of six-pointed stars. Blonde hair, dark skin, tall and thin with a bit of a flower motif, although it probably isn't exactly blatant. Probably a bit of a seductress, taking off the "va-va-voom" when it comes time to fight. Probably an above average magic user. Something in me gives me the "That One Boss" feel to her, so maybe she spams Heal spells?

Kuroimaken
2010-06-09, 08:39 PM
I think the world will work well, but I'd like to bring attention to this right here. While I have no problem if people want to go off and tell their own stories, the heart of Final Fantasy is about telling a long-spanning, epic story, which I think we should stay mostly true to. I've noticed that when RPGs start, if you simply give players a world but nothing to do, then... Nothing happens, since nobody has any real direction. Like I said, I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity, but I'd like to make sure things stay flowing without anyone getting bored.

Perhaps rather than a single group of "main" characters, there could be a couple groups moving toward the same goal, seeing each others as rivals, or as downright enemies...

QFT. It's also true that typically, FF plots revolve around the potential destruction of the world (heck, in FFX it happens once every few decades). Ultimately, the last boss should either be a monster of epic proportions (and I mean TRULY epic. Like holy-crap-the-world's-armed-forces-look-like-incontinent-ants-next-to-this-thing epic) or a character that builds itself to that point (usually an evil that got sealed away for centuries and slowly returns to full strength, or someone who has tapped into unspeakable power by means of plot devices/stealing that power from someone else/kicking God's puppy in the nads).

World-building-wise, the tech level could also be somewhat inconsistent, explaining why one has swordsmen, gunmen and magic atrocity-riders in the same group...

Ashen Lilies
2010-06-09, 09:19 PM
Don't forget that once you beat the boss, he transforms again into something even stronger. :smalltongue:

Neknoh
2010-06-10, 04:41 AM
Hohoho, do NOT worry about possibillities of epic bosses, I think that, if executed correctly, we have the possibillity of throwing around one of THE biggest and baddest bosses possible.

And yah, I agree with you Zarah, and I am also considering how we can cause actions to have reactions. Mayhap do like BleachItP, where, even if we don't have a clear game master, we've got us two, and someone else perhaps, as world-regulating forces, be it a massive corporation, army generals or something else.

And of course, there will be massive world events as well, Zarah's already had a few ideas for stuff, he is a very, very evil man I tell you :smallbiggrin:

iElf
2010-06-10, 04:50 AM
<.<
>.>

I suddenly have an idea for a slave trader. Does that even fit in FF?

Like, at all?

FATALitp ?...god i hate myself for making that joke....:smallfurious:

ignore this please....

horngeek
2010-06-10, 05:05 AM
...idea deleted, just because it got associated with that monstrosity of a game.

Ashen Lilies
2010-06-10, 05:11 AM
Someone needs to think of a regulated, single genre setting that does, in fact, contain cyborgs and sniper kitties, just to spite that endlessly copy-pasted 'But how is this different from, say, the Town or ACRONYM' passage that's in all the 'Genre ITPs'.
Speaking of which, shouldn't it say 'But how is this different from, say, the Nexus' now?
And theoretically, the Nexus is connected to everything but we can wave that away as 'maybe, but crossovers don't happen anyway.' =P

horngeek
2010-06-10, 05:15 AM
Someone needs to thing of a regulated, single genre setting that does, in fact, contain cyborgs and sniper kitties, just so we can make fun of that endlessly copy-pasted 'But how is this different from, say, the Town or ACRONYM' passage that's in all the 'Genre ITPs'.
Speaking of which, shouldn't it say 'But how is this different from, say, the Nexus' now?
And theoretically, the Nexus is connected to everything but we can wave that away as 'maybe, but crossovers don't happen anyway.' =P

We actually had a discussion on this way, way back. Oh, this takes me back to the first Seretei thread, in fact.

Basically, we decided that BleachitP was not, in any way, connected to the Nexus. As in, impossible to travel between the two. Because if it was possible, it would happen, and we didn't want that.

The intro? I made that one, and I specifically picked out Maggy and Reinholdt as examples of two of the things that were in ACRO that weren't in Bleach. I could have picked the D&D classes, or even catgirls (of course, just to prove me wrong, someone would have made a catgirl Shinigami. :smalltongue:).

Prime32
2010-06-10, 06:09 AM
Someone needs to think of a regulated, single genre setting that does, in fact, contain cyborgs and sniper kitties, just to spite that endlessly copy-pasted 'But how is this different from, say, the Town or ACRONYM' passage that's in all the 'Genre ITPs'.Something based on cyberspace or an MMO.

Fan
2010-06-10, 06:42 AM
You changed it remember?

To avoid flames, I'm still the Square Enix representative in the playground.

Kuroimaken
2010-06-10, 08:17 AM
That gets me thinking. Is there a Persona/Megaten-based RP on the forums somewhere?

Zarah
2010-06-11, 02:37 PM
Alright, peoples. Final Fantasy in the Playground has a planning thread now (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155810). I've put what information I can in that thread, though I'll have to finish putting up the rest that I have later tonight. For now, I'm off to work!

Prime32
2010-06-11, 02:46 PM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4645/titlepb.jpgNice logo. Made me want to put something together.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Other/SRWitPlogov2.pnghttp://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Other/SRWitPlogov3.png

Kuroimaken
2010-06-11, 05:15 PM
Psst, Prime. Scoot those kana a little more to the right! :smallwink:

Zexion
2010-06-12, 02:21 PM
So, I have a new idea for an FFRPG, GONE ITP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155605).
If you haven't read the books, basically one day, a giant impenetrable bubble pops into existence around a 10-mile area of land, directly centered on the nuclear power plant. At the same time, all of the adults inside the bubble disappear, in what is called "the poof".
A few days after the bubble appeared, some kids started developing strange abilities, like mind reading, energy blasts, teleportation, etc. The game would be focused on roleplaying, with some combat.
The plot is based around how the community is faring, and such.

If you want to join, just post in the setup thread, linked to above. :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-06-15, 10:56 PM
Wow... we have a lot of universes now. Let's see if we can get some kind of record of them. I've listed all the ones I know of or could find off the top of my head. Please use the quote button to add info to the table for the universes you know of - just be sure to delete the quote tags before you post so that your post in turn can be quoted.

Name|Tag|Approx. Age|Still active?|Notes
Nexus|[Nexus]|5 yrs|yes|includes Acro and Town
Metropolis|[Metro]|2 yrs|no|superhero universe
Bleach|
Camp Half-Blood|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto|
Supers|

horngeek
2010-06-15, 11:00 PM
Bleach|[BleachitP]| |No new characters
Reborn|[BitP:R]|4 mnth|Yes|Reboot of BleachitP
Camp Half-Blood|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto|
Supers|

There's some stuff for BleachitP and Reborn added.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-15, 11:04 PM
Alrighty, I am going to make a suggestion of a new universe to mull over and possibly plan. One that I remember being touched upon a couple of years ago, when FFRP was still Town. Some people here might remember this, too.

And I'm surprised I haven't seen it come up again.

Star Wars.

My suggestion of it would be taking place before any of the movies. Maybe around the same time period as KOTOR 2.

Darkcomet
2010-06-15, 11:07 PM
I believe that's been suggested before, but shot down on account of sheer scale? I mean, the galaxy's a big place. Kinda...huge. That'd probably require a more dedicated forum for it alone, and considering how crowded this subforum already is...

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-15, 11:10 PM
Well...it could help if it was a little more plot oriented. Maybe only centered around a few worlds.

happyturtle
2010-06-15, 11:10 PM
For discussion: How about agreeing a more formal process for making a new universe? Not anything mod-enforced, just something generally agreed.

I'm thinking something like a short proposal form to fill out, and a minimum number of players expressing interest.

Name of Universe:
Tag:
Description:
Character limitations:
Founding player(s):
Other notes:

Comments? Opinions?

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-15, 11:12 PM
That sounds like a good idea to me. Would probably make picking out the ideas easier.

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-15, 11:17 PM
For discussion: How about agreeing a more formal process for making a new universe? Not anything mod-enforced, just something generally agreed.

I'm thinking something like a short proposal form to fill out, and a minimum number of players expressing interest.

Name of Universe:
Tag:
Description:
Character limitations:
Founding player(s):
Other notes:

Comments? Opinions?

Anything making it differ from all the other FFRPs? World Setting? Like, is it Speculative? I'm guessing probably, but I don't know. And what style? Noir? Cosmic Horror? Epic? Gritty?

Camp Half-Blood|6 mnth|Yes|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|1 mnth|Yes|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|

happyturtle
2010-06-15, 11:19 PM
That can all go in the description. It's the job of the person proposing the new universe to make it sound appealing and interesting.

Also, didn't mean to bury this:

Camp Half-Blood|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto|
Supers|

More details need to be filled in. It will help a lot for future planning if people know what is already there, and what has been tried before and failed.

horngeek
2010-06-15, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I'd put in the age of BleachitP, but I forget, exactly.

I remember how (my fault, actually) but not when. I could look up when I started the 'what is YOUR Zanpaktou?' thread, I suppose...

happyturtle
2010-06-15, 11:27 PM
Just a guess is fine. About a year?

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-15, 11:28 PM
Camp Half-Blood|6 mnth|Yes|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|1 mnth|Yes|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|

horngeek
2010-06-15, 11:29 PM
I think so. It's wrapping up now (which is why I put 'no new characters' in- we're literally in the final fight right now).

So, yeah. Probably about a year, maybe a year and a half. I vaguely remember I was in year 11 at the time, and I'm in university now...

Possibly a year and a half.

happyturtle
2010-06-15, 11:31 PM
Camp Half-Blood|[CHB|6 mnth|Yes|
Gone|
Final Fantasy|
Wheel of Time|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto||8 mnth|Yes
Supers|

(You left out the [Tags] column, Zersk)

Jokasti
2010-06-15, 11:51 PM
I've made a few characters, and done a little FFRPing, but I still feel I don't "get" it. What would be a good place to start?

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-15, 11:59 PM
Well, that kinda depends on want you wanna go for.

But, the good generic area would be Nexus.

That's pretty much where any kind of character can exist. I got an Autobot and a mutant there.

horngeek
2010-06-16, 12:00 AM
On the other hand, the other universes have a lot more of a directed plot, and are more limited. So, they can have more to do for a new player.

Your choice, really.

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 12:21 AM
Which is another good reason to get some kind of universe index going, so newbies won't feel so lost. :smalltongue: *continues poking people*

Je dit Viola
2010-06-16, 02:32 AM
I think the best place to start will be in the OoC threads, unless you already have an idea of what you want to do.

Nexus is the longest-lived one, and is the most freeform of all of them. It can have anything from books to mythology, and from the deepest recesses of your imagination, to things you have never thought possible.

All the others have some sort of unifying theme to them, and have more structure to them.

For imagery, think jell-o pudding versus cake. Jell-o (Nexus) is more wiggly and can hold its shape, whereas Cake, though it can be whatever shape it's cooked in, has a theme for it (birthday, wedding, carrot...) and is more cemented in its shape.

I would suggest Nexus because you can have whatever you want in there. (Most people prefer characters who can cope well with others, so you can RP more.)
On the other hand, the others can be suggested in case you want to play with a specific setting, and have all the other players with the same exact, preset setting. There's less options for the characters (but still nigh-infinite), the plot is focused and needs to be discussed beforehand, and they generally end eventually. (Generally, after the main plot is complete, or player interest is lost due to RL, or after the power creep becomes too high for new players).

(((Did I answer your question?)))

For people who don't know so much about the more specific settings:
Bleach and Naruto are anime/manga flavored
FF and Pokemon are based on their respective games
Camp Half-Blood is based on a book series based on mythology
In Supers, you get to play a Superhero
And I don't know much about the others, other than they're based on books or games.

((Repeating to bring it onto this page))Name|Tag|Approx. Age|Still active?|Notes
Gone|
Final Fantasy|[FFitP]|Brand New
Wheel of Time|
Eragon|
Twilight|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Pokemon|||No|Now in Structured
Super Robot Wars|
Naruto||8 mnth|Yes
Supers|

Name of Universe:
Tag:
Description:
Character limitations:
Founding player(s):
Other notes:
Style:
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?
*I agree that we should add those questions

Innis Cabal
2010-06-16, 04:15 AM
The original bleach has been running longer then a year, as the first OOC is a year and two weeks old, and is not offically the original OOC. It has been running almost a year and a half by my estimate.

Prime32
2010-06-16, 08:11 AM
Nexus|[Nexus]|5 yrs|Yes|Includes Acro and Town
- ACRO|{colsp=4}[ACRO]
- Town|{colsp=4}[Town]
Metropolis|[Metro]|2 yrs|No|Superhero universe
Bleach|[BleachITP]|1.5 yrs|No new characters
Bleach Reborn|[BitP:R]|4 mnth|Yes|Reboot of BleachitP
GONE|
Final Fantasy|[FFitP]|Brand New|Yes (setup)
Wheel of Time|
Eragon/Twilight Lynching|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Pokémon|||No|Now in Structured
Super Robot Wars|[SRWitP]|2 mnth|Yes (setup)|Characters from existing mecha anime/manga/etc. allowed
Naruto|[NarutoITP]|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|

I'm not sure if the Eragon and Twilight entries qualify. They aren't persistent worlds, and have a GM - the fourth thread is the fourth game.

horngeek
2010-06-16, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure if the Eragon and Twilight entries qualify. They aren't persistent worlds, and have a GM - the fourth thread is the fourth game.

In that case, I am of the opinion that they should be moved to the RPG games section.

An FFRP universe should not only have Freeform rules, but a Freeform plot, as well. In other words, there should not be a GM.

Prime32
2010-06-16, 08:18 AM
In that case, I am of the opinion that they should be moved to the RPG games section.

An FFRP universe should not only have Freeform rules, but a Freeform plot, as well. In other words, there should not be a GM.The GM doesn't take such an active role though, just playing all the canon characters. They're completely sandbox, and conflicts between players have been known to overshadow the conflict with the vampires/elves anyway (thus effectively removing the GM from the equation).

horngeek
2010-06-16, 08:19 AM
Eh. Still. If there's a GM.

If they should be in here, they should be on that list.