PDA

View Full Version : ABR Discussion Thread XXXI - The Gift of Fish

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Fay Graydon
2010-04-12, 06:07 PM
How could a blind, defenceless, powerless man could ever threaten a squad of Special Tactics Peacekeepers? The way I see it, he's on the road for a trial and an execution for war crimes. Or maybe a grenade to the face. :smalltongue:

Um... did you not see the pissed off burning eyes of hate?
Also Fayte has been shot.
Fayte can also use blood magic now...
Fayte can take on 4 random Faceless mooks and win with ease!

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 06:09 PM
Hey Rae, do you have any denim spells that would kill someone and not leave a body?

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 06:35 PM
Hey Rae, do you have any denim spells that would kill someone and not leave a body?

A couple could do some serious damage and leave a body completely unrecognizable, does that work?

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 06:50 PM
Ugh, I don't want to draw a corpse. I'll show my character being dragged off, i'll make you draw it. >:D

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 06:54 PM

And I'm sure that's real handy with faceless mooks. So what does that have to do with this?
Whee! An angry mage! Now, let's first go over how this would work in, say, 3.5, using the exploding dice variant for firearms (basically, you roll for the gun's damage, and if one of the dice rolls max you get to roll that again, making one hit almost as nasty as a critical hit). So, they've all got readied actions to fire the moment they see a spell being cast. Fayte starts casting a scary blood spell.
BAM BAM BAM
Fayte suddenly has a lot less blood to work with. These people aren't stormtroopers. They can hit a still target easily.

Now in real life (now with 75% more magic!). Fayte starts to cast a spell. At point blank, he's hit at least three times and killed.

Mad Mask
2010-04-12, 06:56 PM
^Don't use too much D&D rules though, they don't have any basis in Future Imperfect apart from the wizards' spell. And even then, they're not 100% followed.

They aren't Faceless mooks... they're the elite soldiers of the United Nations. Fayte's at point blank range... he has no chance, magic or no. How many times do I have to repeat that ? If you want mooks use the Public Order Peacekeepers, not the Special Tactics.

I should really make a comic showing their "badassitude". I'll add that to my list of Comics to make. :smalltongue:

Feel free to kill Public Orders (the people with the blue helmets) though.

Kumo
2010-04-12, 07:07 PM
^Don't use too much D&D rules though, they don't have any basis in Future Imperfect apart from the wizards' spell. And even then, they're not 100% followed.

They aren't Faceless mooks... they're the elite soldiers of the United Nations. Fayte's at point blank range... he has no chance, magic or no. How many times do I have to repeat that ? If you want mooks use the Public Order Peacekeepers, not the Special Tactics.

I should really make a comic showing their "badassitude". I'll add that to my list of Comics to make. :smalltongue:

They're faceless badasses against a former god who can use magic so powerful it has to drain your life energy to even be something close to balanced. I'm guessing it's strong enough to kill some of them, at least.

Also, the one that shot already (meaning he can't have a readied action yet) is the one who's aiming at point blank range.

Also again, Fayte is a badass too.

And I'm sure that's real handy with faceless mooks. So what does that have to do with this?
Whee! An angry mage! Now, let's first go over how this would work in, say, 3.5, using the exploding dice variant for firearms (basically, you roll for the gun's damage, and if one of the dice rolls max you get to roll that again, making one hit almost as nasty as a critical hit). So, they've all got readied actions to fire the moment they see a spell being cast. Fayte starts casting a scary blood spell.
BAM BAM BAM
Fayte suddenly has a lot less blood to work with. These people aren't stormtroopers. They can hit a still target easily.

Now in real life (now with 75% more magic!). Fayte starts to cast a spell. At point blank, he's hit at least three times and killed.

I thought the only blood blood mages can't use is the blood inside them.

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 07:08 PM

I think a lot of people are using the Special Tactics guys because they are actually faceless, if not mooks. Very uniform, and you don't look like a loser guy who can't come up with new templ--
...yeah, um, I would never do that. Ayup. Say, isn't that a pretty cloud over there?

/\ Not to keep up the old rules thing, but I think he would have fired 'last round'. Besides which, the others must be behind him, in a formation allowing them all to shoot. Besides, former god or no, he's being faced down by four guys with guns. Put Gandalf in that situation. What happens?
I got a theory, it could be bunnies. That is, bunnies representing 'blood'. :smalltongue:

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 07:08 PM
Ugh, I don't want to draw a corpse. I'll show my character being dragged off, i'll make you draw it. >:D

You know I meant stuff like ashes, chunks, and a bones right.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 07:09 PM
What color denim would I make for ashes?

Threeshades
2010-04-12, 07:18 PM
I used the STPs because I wanted to accentuate that Threeshades is still considered extremely dangerous because of her brief period as the most powerful creature in Avbaroy. And she still has the taint which just makes it more likely to assume that she still retains some powers. Which would also explain why she could tell when she could stab one of the peacekeepers in the back while the other three are just looking in another direction at that moment. And why her shot hit with such accuracy. :smallconfused:

Also I'm working on new 15 templates for five new characters who form an ALF special combat unit.
6 are done so far. And the last 5 should be done quickly as soon as i get to them.

Fay Graydon
2010-04-12, 07:23 PM
-snip-

Fayte's not DnD based at all.

-snip-

They are generic and have no names
they are faceless mooks

They're faceless badasses against a former god who can use magic so powerful it has to drain your life energy to even be something close to balanced. I'm guessing it's strong enough to kill some of them, at least.

Also again, Fayte is a badass too.

Kuma get's it...
Fayte is not only Badass... but also fed up and pissed off by the planet XD

Kumo
2010-04-12, 07:25 PM
Kuma get's it...
Kuma ja nai da!

Also, i think you mean 'at the planet'

Fay Graydon
2010-04-12, 07:26 PM
Kuma ja nai da!

Also, i think you mean 'at the planet'

By the planet, at the planet, on the planet
After 15 years of living on Avboroy I think he doesn't care much about it, he just wants to go home :P

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 07:36 PM
Fayte's not DnD based at all.

They are generic and have no names
they are faceless mooks

Kuma get's it...

In order:
Irrelevant.
I cry foul and release the war of dogs! A 'mook' is somebody who is not a major threat. You don't seem to get it, Fayte. These guys aren't kobolds in a dungeon. They aren't level 1 (sorry about more rules references, MM)orc warriors. Most importantly, they aren't here to show how awesome you are. They're here to show that the UNA is extremely dangerous to any who trot about in its borders. They are clever, highly trained elite gunmen. So you'd better get over how 'badass' you are and recognize that these guys are a threat to pretty much anybody.

Seriously? Okay, he's mad. That shouldn't mean he's 'abot 2 own, nubs!!!!11!!1one!!!', it means he's that much more likely to mess up.

Kumo
2010-04-12, 07:39 PM
In order:
Irrelevant.
I cry foul and release the war of dogs! A 'mook' is somebody who is not a major threat. You don't seem to get it, Fayte. These guys aren't kobolds in a dungeon. They aren't level 1 (sorry about more rules references, MM)orc warriors. They are clever, highly trained elite gunmen. So you'd better get over how 'badass' you are and recognize that these guys are a threat to pretty much anybody.

Seriously? Okay, he's mad. That shouldn't mean he's 'abot 2 own, nubs!!!!11!!1one!!!', it means he's that much more likely to mess up.

There's still the whole former god thing >.>

That and anger makes you less accurate but more powerful. Magic usually hits automatically =P

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 07:44 PM

That and anger makes you less accurate but more powerful. Magic usually hits automatically =P

I cry war and release the havoc of dogs! Magic doesn't hit automatically, and you've gotta have time first. Besides, how would anger help magic?
I'm kind of sick of everybody being so powerful. GR, TS, Fin, even Rand, they all understand that ABR isn't a place to talk about how powerful you are. It's a place for people to draw, and joke, and write. Fayte, he's got the drawing down, and joking isn't all that important in FI, but how about writing? You're supposed to write about everybody, not just you. Your character is just there as a medium. We can't all be gods.

Threeshades
2010-04-12, 07:45 PM

Or if youre a barbarian it makes you more powerful accurate and resilient, but easier to hit and unable to cast spells. :smalltongue:

Yeah I'd say being a former god who still has some magic Fayte still has a chance, but the peacekeepers running at the shack like a bunch of idiots does seem inadequate.

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 07:52 PM
What color denim would I make for ashes?

well, black=fire so...

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 07:55 PM
I thought your black denim was fire-proof.

Threeshades
2010-04-12, 07:57 PM
Isn't denim a material that you make pants out of?

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 07:58 PM
Yes. Rae is a denimancer.

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 07:59 PM
Or if youre a barbarian it makes you more powerful accurate and resilient, but easier to hit and unable to cast spells. :smalltongue:

Yeah I'd say being a former god who still has some magic Fayte still has a chance, but the peacekeepers running at the shack like a bunch of idiots does seem inadequate.

He's a mage, procedure most likely involves not giving him the chance for anything tricky.
That being said, they are being unrealistically stupid. Why not send a group of average PKers (heh, didn't notice that)in to fire until dead? Or, more likely, blow up the building? He's a 'high-ranking' officer, and a mage. That's a much more standard procedure.

Threeshades
2010-04-12, 08:00 PM
Yes. Rae is a denimancer.

So he makes pants that look like cheesecake tacos?

Kumo
2010-04-12, 08:03 PM
I cry war and release the havoc of dogs! Magic doesn't hit automatically, and you've gotta have time first. Besides, how would anger help magic?

Personally i assume emotion gives power to magic while logic gives it form. I have a hard time picturing a ticked off mage without magic flying off of his/her hands.

I'm kind of sick of everybody being so powerful. GR, TS, Fin, even Rand, they all understand that ABR isn't a place to talk about how powerful you are. It's a place for people to draw, and joke, and write. Fayte, he's got the drawing down, and joking isn't all that important in FI, but how about writing? You're supposed to write about everybody, not just you. Your character is just there as a medium. We can't all be gods.

And i'm sick of people getting ticked off at everything that happens.

One angle that you apparently have not considered is overconfidence.

Also, One character as a former god does not constitute 'we all are gods'.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 08:06 PM
The gash in between Zacary's eyes is a scar now, like the one on his cheek. It was just that deep.

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 08:07 PM
Personally i assume emotion gives power to magic while logic gives it form. I have a hard time picturing a ticked off mage without magic flying off of his/her hands.

And i'm sick of people getting ticked off at everything that happens.

One angle that you apparently have not considered is overconfidence.

Also, One character as a former god does not constitute 'we all are gods'.

:smallsigh:
The 'god' bit is hyperbole, Mae. As in 'we are all super-powered guys'.
And I have considered that angle. If Fayte plans on his character getting beaten and being forced to flee/barely winning (and being extremely badly wounded), then I apologize, but he has given no such indication.

By the way, does anybody know how to draw a fairly simple desk? My desk looks ridiculously simplistic.

Mad Mask
2010-04-12, 08:10 PM

Yeah, what real Special Tactics Peacekeepers would do is shoot a gas grenade to incapacitate the people inside the shack. These masks aren't just for show, you know, unlike the rest of fictional "Gas Mask Mooks".

Now if these were Public Order, I wouldn't be complaining (though why they would be sent on such a high-priority mission is another matter), but these are supposed to be the best of the (non-Sovice) UNA, not just mooks to be swatted like flies. That's the Public Order's job. :smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-04-12, 08:10 PM
:smallsigh:
The 'god' bit is hyperbole, Mae. As in 'we are all super-powered guys'.

I know.

Also: did you mean 'mate'?

And I have considered that angle. If Fayte plans on his character getting beaten and being forced to flee/barely winning (and being extremely badly wounded), then I apologize, but he has given no such indication.

Ok, that's true. But there's not much he could have done there...

And i'm not sure how relevant it is but i just noticed the staff is now BEHIND him despite the fact it fell in FRONT of him.

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 08:14 PM
I know.

Also: did you mean 'mate'?

Nah, just got mixed up. Sorry about that, CA. I just keep mixing up people's names.
:smalltongue:

Kumo
2010-04-12, 08:16 PM
Nah, just got mixed up. Sorry about that, CA. I just keep mixing up people's names.

Wait, sop who WERE you talking to? Rae?

Also: Where's the next thread?

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 08:16 PM
I thought your black denim was fire-proof.

It is. when used by a denimancer as protection. otherwise, it supports flame. it supports it real good.

The Gremlin
2010-04-12, 08:18 PM
Wait, sop who WERE you talking to? Rae?

Also: Where's the next thread?

I was talking to you.
Rand.

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 08:21 PM
Dang it CA, you even do my own spells better than I do.:smallannoyed:

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-12, 08:22 PM
Giant tacos! :smallbiggrin:

Rae Artemi
2010-04-12, 08:25 PM
Giant tacos! :smallbiggrin:

It's mainly cause I'm lazy, and didn't feel like getting in depth and making a whole bunch of Lightning effects.

Kumo
2010-04-12, 08:33 PM
I was talking to you.
Rand.

Let me rephrase.

Whose name were you trying to phrase say, Mr.Chicken?

Threeshades
2010-04-13, 06:45 AM
10 out of 15 templates done! On to the last 5

Done! All 15 templates are ready. So i can make a new comic soon.

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 08:47 AM
Yeah, what real Special Tactics Peacekeepers would do is shoot a gas grenade to incapacitate the people inside the shack. These masks aren't just for show, you know, unlike the rest of fictional "Gas Mask Mooks".

Now if these were Public Order, I wouldn't be complaining (though why they would be sent on such a high-priority mission is another matter), but these are supposed to be the best of the (non-Sovice) UNA, not just mooks to be swatted like flies. That's the Public Order's job. :smalltongue:

Maybe he's trying to intimidate them.

The blind guy whom you just shot is pointing a strange weapon at you and sounding like he could kill you without breaking a sweat, that could scare them enough to give him time to shoot :smallsmile:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 08:54 AM
Maybe he's trying to intimidate them.

The blind guy whom you just shot is pointing a strange weapon at you and sounding like he could kill you without breaking a sweat, that could scare them enough to give him time to shoot :smallsmile:

Nah. It still doesn't make sense, because standard procedure is, as Mask said, to bomb/gas them. :smallconfused:
I think at some point I'll do a comic with STs killing one of my characters. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 10:26 AM
Nah. It still doesn't make sense, because standard procedure is, as Mask said, to bomb/gas them. :smallconfused:
I think at some point I'll do a comic with STs killing one of my characters. :smalltongue:

Maybe they assumed he was powerless?

You know, in terms of magic and eyesight.

That could have made them overconfident.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 10:48 AM
Maybe they assumed he was powerless?

You know, in terms of magic and eyesight.

That could have made them overconfident.

If they recognized him on sight, they'd know he was a mage.

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 11:02 AM
If they recognized him on sight, they'd know he was a mage.

And why would they? Just because they have seen him and know he's important doesn't mean they now exactly why he's important.

Misinformation is a wonderful thing :smallbiggrin:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 11:17 AM
And why would they? Just because they have seen him and know he's important doesn't mean they now exactly why he's important.

Misinformation is a wonderful thing :smallbiggrin:

Pretty sure they know, being Special Tactics soldiers. See, that's the thing, unlike the normal PKers they are informed. :smallsigh:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 11:20 AM
Pretty sure they know, being Special Tactics soldiers. See, that's the thing, unlike the normal PKers they are informed. :smallsigh:

I didn't refer to what their superiors told them, I referred to what the UNA knew about the blind guy who live wa~y out in the desert :smallsmile:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 11:48 AM
I didn't refer to what their superiors told them, I referred to what the UNA knew about the blind guy who live wa~y out in the desert :smallsmile:

Uh...what? Sorry, I don't understand. :smallconfused:
They know who he is, and I don't think he lives there.

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:05 PM
I did actually seriously considdered redoing the comic so that its "More plot friendly" or "Less epic win" or "less mook killyness"...
but then i realised:
"No! I dont have to if i dont want to! =D no one controls them! their random guys that wont show up again! who cares about them!"

Seriously guys, why do you care what happens to like 4 people...
4 random, faceless, nameless people.

All we have to say "oh you cant kill them their well trained" is mask...
And im sorry but Fayte is kinda used to killing well trained and better armored people then these guys.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:07 PM
I did actually seriously considdered redoing the comic so that its "More plot friendly" or "Less epic win" or "less mook killyness"...
but then i realised:
"No! I dont have to if i dont want to! =D no one controls them! their random guys that wont show up again! who cares about them!"

Seriously guys, why do you care what happens to like 4 people...
4 random, faceless, nameless people.

All we have to say "oh you cant kill them their well trained" is mask...
And im sorry but Fayte is kinda used to killing well trained and better armored people then these guys.

Boooh! Bad form, Fayte. This is a writing project we're doing here. Realism is always priority, not your ego. :smallannoyed:

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:10 PM
Boooh! Bad form, Fayte. This is a writing project we're doing here. Realism is always priority, not your ego. :smallannoyed:

>.>
My ego isn't my priority...
*stops arguing before we draw attention from the mods* ._.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:17 PM
>.>
My ego isn't my priority...
*stops arguing before we draw attention from the mods* ._.

Don't see why we would. I think I'm making a genuine complaint here. You clearly don't realize that those soldiers are somebody else's creation. You can either respect that, or you can not. You're right, we can't make you, but it's rude and self-centered to ignore the fact that the creator should have the final word on how dumb they act. Running up to the entrance instead of gassing the place is directly ignoring what Mask said only a couple pages ago. If you want to show morons messing up, use the blue helmets. But the Special Tactics are not fodder. Show respect to your fellow artists.

BRC
2010-04-13, 12:20 PM
Yeah, mask is kind of overreacting here. Especially since you havn't seen Fayte actually kill the peacekeepers in question yet. We have no idea how he is going to do it, how they will respond, ect.

It looks like they did a pretty good job, they've got him surrounded, they've all got guns pointed at him. They may not have been fully briefed on who he is/ know he's not blind.

Really, I think Mask is overreacting here. Yes the Special tactics peacekeepers are supposed to be well trained elites. This does NOT mean they are invincible. They do not all shoot like Simo Haya (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html), Plan like Batman, fight like Bruce Lee, and avoid being killled like Rasputin.
Let's look at the times they have shown up in other people's comics.
Threeshades: The Peacekeepers act like competent professionals. They miss TS because she's in the shadows, and they fire lots of shots to be sure. She takes them out by tricking them into getting close/pretending to be dead.
Megadoomer: They shoot at him, but he's a moving target using magic to make himself harder to hit, he defeats them with a spell.
Fayte: They show up, shoot, surround him, keep their guns pointed at him. He says some badass stuff but hasn't actually done anything to them yet. He has important intel, and they think he's a blind man, so they will be trying to capture him alive.

Him saying some badass stuff does not mean he is about to waltz out of his shack as their bullets wiz around him, grab one, break his spine, then throw him so he kills another, causing that one to accidently shoot another one, at which point Fayte pulls out a fork and throws it, causing the final one to explode.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:22 PM
Yeah, mask is kind of overreacting here. Especially since you havn't seen Fayte actually kill the peacekeepers in question yet. We have no idea how he is going to do it, how they will respond, ect.

It looks like they did a pretty good job, they've got him surrounded, they've all got guns pointed at him. They may not have been fully briefed on who he is/ know he's not blind.

Really, I think Mask is overreacting here. Yes the Special tactics peacekeepers are supposed to be well trained elites. This does NOT mean they are invincible. They do not all shoot like Simo Haya (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hayha.html), Plan like Batman, fight like Bruce Lee, and avoid being killled like Rasputin.
Let's look at the times they have shown up in other people's comics.
Threeshades: The Peacekeepers act like competent professionals. They miss TS because she's in the shadows, and they fire lots of shots to be sure. She takes them out by tricking them into getting close/pretending to be dead.
Megadoomer: They shoot at him, but he's a moving target using magic to make himself harder to hit, he defeats them with a spell.
Fayte: They show up, shoot, surround him, keep their guns pointed at him. He says some badass stuff but hasn't actually done anything to them yet. He has important intel, and they think he's a blind man, so they will be trying to capture him alive.

Him saying some badass stuff does not mean he is about to waltz out of his shack as their bullets wiz around him, grab one, break his spine, then throw him so he kills another, causing that one to accidently shoot another one, at which point Fayte pulls out a fork and throws it, causing the final one to explode.

Okay, point. However, they aren't using typical strategy. As I keep saying, they should be trying to gas him right now, not just holding him at gunpoint.

BRC
2010-04-13, 12:29 PM
Okay, point. However, they aren't using typical strategy. As I keep saying, they should be trying to gas him right now, not just holding him at gunpoint.
Wait, so Fayte's comic is invalidated because they arn't acting exactly how Mask pre-wrote they can act, which is apparently "If you smell a whiff of spellcaster, throw gas EVERYWHERE!"

How does this sound.

Upon hearing that a high-ranking ALF member is living in this area of desert, the UNA sends out peacekeeper teams to comb the desert looking for him. This team was the first to find him, they take a shot, hear him cry out in pain, assume he's crippled by the shot (Bullets tend to do that), and move in to investigate. His door is up, so they need to kick it down before they can throw a gas grenade in. They kick the door down to see if gas is needed/ throw gas in, and Fayte says something badass.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:31 PM
Wait, so Fayte's comic is invalidated because they arn't acting exactly how Mask pre-wrote they can act.

How does this sound.

Upon hearing that a high-ranking ALF member is living in this area of desert, the ALF sends out peacekeeper teams to comb the desert looking for him. This team was the first to find him, they take a shot, hear him cry out in pain, assume he's crippled by the shot (Bullets tend to do that), and move in to investigate. His door is up, so they need to kick it down before they can throw a gas grenade in. They kick the door down to see if gas is needed/ throw gas in, and Fayte says something badass.

Sounds good. Except, um, why did the ALF send PKer teams after him? :smalltongue:

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:34 PM

... >///>
Um yeah... he wasnt about to do that definatly... *nods and quickly does something on laptop* ^^' :smalltongue:

Okay imagine it like this:
Old guy in a shack in the dessert.
Supposedly blind...
Bleeding from a bullet wound...
Gas Grenades = Expensive...

How about this okay:
I let mask decide what happens next.
Now please Gremlin... Just stop having a go okay? If you don't like it ignore it!
It doesn't even affect your character :smallfrown:
I don't want to cause so much trouble (especially not the day before my birthday)

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:34 PM
Don't see why we would. I think I'm making a genuine complaint here. You clearly don't realize that those soldiers are somebody else's creation. You can either respect that, or you can not. You're right, we can't make you, but it's rude and self-centered to ignore the fact that the creator should have the final word on how dumb they act. Running up to the entrance instead of gassing the place is directly ignoring what Mask said only a couple pages ago. If you want to show morons messing up, use the blue helmets. But the Special Tactics are not fodder. Show respect to your fellow artists.

*interrupts* Well, these are nameless NPC soldiers. They’re not even proper characters and there’s like, an endless amount to replace them. Plenty more of these guys are going to die throughout the course of FI. And didn’t Threeshades just kill a bunch of them?
On top of this, it's not as if it's ruining the main plot, this is something else that she's simply adding to the plot, so I really don't see the problem.

EDIT: Yay for being too late.

*poof*

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:37 PM
Sounds good. Except, um, why did the ALF send PKer teams after him? :smalltongue:

Fayte is (technically) second in command of ALF. He helped Lying set the Avboroy Liberation Front up
He is the highest ranking (sane) member of the resistance >.>
Don't worry I asked Lying a while ago and he said it was fine.

BRC
I don't know what you're talking about. Well, you do have a habit of quoting people's posts and then editing the quote to make it look like they made a stupid typo, it's rather rude.
Or at least, that's what They say.

The Gremlin
*interrupts* Well, these are nameless NPC soldiers. They’re not even proper characters and there’s like, an endless amount to replace them. Plenty more of these guys are going to die throughout the course of FI. And didn’t Threeshades just kill a bunch of them?
On top of this, it's not as if it's ruining the main plot, this is something else that she's simply adding to the plot, so I really don't see the problem.

You were missing the point. The point was that he should have been using normal PKers, since those are actually the mooks. The STs are more like elite troops. TS's comic made sense, since she was in the dark and they couldn't see to aim.

/\ Curses! I've been found out!

By the way, Fayte, I was under the impression that Chriky or Oliver was higher in rank. Given that Oliver knows Lying, it makes a bit more sense.

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:41 PM
You were missing the point. The point was that he should have been using normal PKers, since those are actually the mooks. The STs are more like elite troops. TS's comic made sense, since she was in the dark and they couldn't see to aim.

It makes perfect sense, Fayte is an elite high-ranking member of the ALF, so it's logical that they would send elite troops after him.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:44 PM
It makes perfect sense, Fayte is an elite high-ranking member of the ALF, so it's logical that they would send elite troops after him.

I know, but my complaint was that the elite troops weren't acting very elite and were acting more like mooks themselves. It just wasn't very realistic. Fortunately, BRC already offered an explanation which made sense.

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:46 PM
I know, but my complaint was that the elite troops weren't acting very elite and were acting more like mooks themselves. It just wasn't very realistic. Fortunately, BRC already offered an explanation which made sense.

*shrugs* I don't know, maybe they were newer recruits?
Maybe they were overconfident?
Maybe they were hot, tired and worn out from walking around a desert? :P

Threeshades
2010-04-13, 12:47 PM
Got a new FI up. :smallfrown:

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:48 PM
Got a new FI up. :smallfrown:

It made me smile ^^
But I haddn't had time to comment on it :smallfrown: Sorry
So TS now has like Guerrilla war fighting Furries? :P AWESOME! :smallbiggrin:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:49 PM
*shrugs* I don't know, maybe they were newer recruits?
Maybe they were overconfident?
Maybe they were hot, tired and worn out from walking around a desert? :P

The first seems unlikely. The whole idea of 'elite troops' implies heavy training and 'not selecting anyone' stuff.

I don't see why you're still arguing this.

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:50 PM

Since when has ABR ever made sense?

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 12:52 PM
I don't see why you're still arguing this.

Because I have the /RIGHT/ to show that Fayte has had at least 10 times the amount of training they have had!
My whole backstory is about Guerrilla warfare and fighting overwhelming odds! :smallfrown:

But I digest...(Yes its dinner time)
I don't really want to make the next comic till (at least) the day after tomorrow.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 12:57 PM
No, I mean, it's already been resolved.

Since when has ABR ever made sense?

Ugh. Nameless, that statement is so overused, and so inaccurate in this case, that I choose not to reply to it.

Nameless
2010-04-13, 12:59 PM
No, I mean, it's already been resolved.

Ugh. Nameless, that statement is so overused, and so inaccurate in this case, that I choose not to reply to it.

I’m sorry, what? ABR has had far more obscured circumstances that have made far less sense then “well, they wouldn’t of have behaved quite that way” and no one complained.

T-O-E
2010-04-13, 01:02 PM
Maybe I was being too kind when I compared them to toddlers...

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 01:04 PM
Maybe I was being too kind when I compared them to toddlers...

Apparently so. Though TS very helpfully contributed to the banishment of that illusion (even though they were beaten, the advantage of surprise was necessary). :smallsmile:
Nice comic there. My guess? Werewolves. Or Lupins, but I hate those things.

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 01:18 PM
I’m sorry, what? ABR has had far more obscured circumstances that have made far less sense then “well, they wouldn’t of have behaved quite that way” and no one complained.

I find it odd that they question about the mannerism of a random squad of soldiers but not about stuff like the flying Willy Wonka train?

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 01:19 PM
I find it odd that they question about the mannerism of a random squad of soldiers but not about stuff like the flying Willy Wonka train?

I don't recall. :smallconfused:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 01:49 PM
I don't recall. :smallconfused:

Second panel of this comic:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4220/fi2s.png

Featuring the annoyed narrator :smallsmile:

If it's too dark then I apologize and will change it, but nobody commented when it was posted so I assumed it was okay :smallsmile:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 01:58 PM
Second panel of this comic:

If it's too dark then I apologize and will change it, but nobody commented when it was posted so I assumed it was okay :smallsmile:

I didn't realize it was the Willy Wonka train. But there's a definite difference. While silly things might happen, things that defy the laws of physics shouldn't in FI.

Fay Graydon
2010-04-13, 02:00 PM
I didn't realize it was the Willy Wonka train. But there's a definite difference. While silly things might happen, things that defy the laws of physics shouldn't in FI.

A wizard did it :smalltongue:

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 02:10 PM
A wizard did it :smalltongue:

Funny you mention TVTropes, I was just reading one of their articles yesterday (yes, it is possible to just read one! Okay, I lied, it still isn't). They have an oddly in-depth description of WW 1. Why would a mostly humorous website have such a detailed history lesson?
Oh, right, topicness. My 'stake.

So I'm soon going to introduce two new characters, who will probably be short-lived. They're supposed to be members of the Scenvian church. Any ideas for what they should be like?

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 02:37 PM

It does in no way defy the laws of anything, except those of the UNA, it breaks a good few of those :smalltongue:

I originally intended to show them driving it incredibly fast* and then reach the point where the tracks ended. It being a cliff or uphill they would simply continue on for a a while before landing in the zombie town.

I just went with this because I thought it was funnier.

*That's about the only non-standard thing about it so far.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 02:46 PM
It does in no way defy the laws of anything, except those of the UNA, it breaks a good few of those :smalltongue:

I originally intended to show them driving it incredibly fast* and then reach the point where the tracks ended. It being a cliff or uphill they would simply continue on for a a while before landing in the zombie town.

I just went with this because I thought it was funnier.

*That's about the only non-standard thing about it so far.

No, I'm saying that the Willy Wonka train is okay. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 02:53 PM
No, I'm saying that the Willy Wonka train is okay. :smalltongue:

Then what is it that defyes the laws of physics?

Is it the Peacekeepers?! Dang, I knew they were planning something :smallannoyed::smalleek::smalltongue:

Threeshades
2010-04-13, 03:06 PM
I just realized that the first four panels of my latest comic look like a TV news setup with peacekeeper anchormen.

Kumo
2010-04-13, 03:15 PM

You're kidding, right?

So I'm soon going to introduce two new characters, who will probably be short-lived. They're supposed to be members of the Scenvian church. Any ideas for what they should be like?

Give them adorned robes. Everybody knows that robes = clergy.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-13, 03:18 PM
I just realized that the first four panels of my latest comic look like a TV news setup with peacekeeper anchormen.

You just realized that? I thought that that's what it was until around panel 2 or 3.

Mina Kobold
2010-04-13, 03:21 PM

You're kidding, right?

Give them adorned robes. Everybody knows that robes = clergy.

Magic is a law of physics too, in Avbaroy.

No, robes equals mages, baldness and holy sybols equals clergy and bowlers equal robots and/or politicians :smalltongue:

Fin
2010-04-13, 04:50 PM
Just read Threeshades' latest comic, which does not involve holding a lost primate at sword-point and is indeed significantly more badass. So consider my most recent comic non-canon.

Kumo
2010-04-13, 06:01 PM
Magic is a law of physics too, in Avbaroy.

No, robes equals mages, baldness and holy sybols equals clergy and bowlers equal robots and/or politicians :smalltongue:

I thought he was using physics as a reason elite soldiers are more competent than the average soldier.

No, robes with adornments and a necklace equal clergy. Doesn't need to be a holy necklace. Just doesn't need to look unholy.

Also: who's makin the new thread?

Threeshades
2010-04-13, 06:02 PM
Just read Threeshades' latest comic, which does not involve holding a lost primate at sword-point and is indeed significantly more badass. So consider my most recent comic non-canon.

Why? Was that blade supposed to be Threeshades's?

Darklord Bright
2010-04-13, 06:09 PM
Why is it so hard to portray elite soldiers as elite soldiers again? I mean, even Threeshades probably would have been taken out by them if the wolf-things hadn't arrived just in time - and Threeshades isn't exactly a low-power character...

Kumo
2010-04-13, 06:15 PM
Why is it so hard to portray elite soldiers as elite soldiers again? I mean, even Threeshades probably would have been taken out by them if the wolf-things hadn't arrived just in time - and Threeshades isn't exactly a low-power character...

A fair point. Counterpoint: why is it wrong to win against elite soldiers, or in faytes case, barely portray them at all.

Darklord Bright
2010-04-13, 06:20 PM
A fair point. Counterpoint: why is it wrong to win against elite soldiers, or in faytes case, barely portray them at all.

It's not wrong to win against them if you show it in a way that makes sense - it's the difference between having the Navy SEALS show up and having one man outsmart them and take them out one by one using their environment and barely getting out alive, and having the Navy SEALS show up and get mowed down by a man standing there with a machine gun when they could very easily have just gone around him.

Kumo
2010-04-13, 06:28 PM
It's not wrong to win against them if you show it in a way that makes sense - it's the difference between having the Navy SEALS show up and having one man outsmart them and take them out one by one using their environment and barely getting out alive, and having the Navy SEALS show up and get mowed down by a man standing there with a machine gun when they could very easily have just gone around him.

I apologize for the short most likely poorly worded posts, I'm currently in a hospital typing this up on my iPod. So far they've only lost twice, and one of them you said was fine. The other was adequately explained. The seal analogy works well - in the case I'm referring to it's more like a land mine, snipers or a grenade that the seals didn't know about.

Darklord Bright
2010-04-13, 06:34 PM
I apologize for the short most likely poorly worded posts, I'm currently in a hospital typing this up on my iPod. So far they've only lost twice, and one of them you said was fine. The other was adequately explained. The seal analogy works well - in the case I'm referring to it's more like a land mine, snipers or a grenade that the seals didn't know about.

I'm just saying that showing them acting in a way consistent with what they are shouldn't be that hard, plus Fay has expressed a complete disregard for how the soldiers should be acting or how tough they're supposed to be in her comments simply because "They're faceless mooks!" which is a pretty poor defense.

I, at least, am not asking for Fayte to get his ass handed to him - I'm just saying that if the intention is to have him completely slaughter a troop of special forces who, being special forces, should have intel and know what they're dealing with? Then even I have a problem with that.

If, of course, that's not the intention, then I apologize to Fay - but so far she's made it pretty clear that that's what she was intending to do.

CrimsonAngel
2010-04-13, 06:36 PM
Someone could make a deset NPC and help Fay out or something...

Threeshades
2010-04-13, 08:06 PM
Another FI up. I'm done for today. G'night.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 09:11 PM
I thought he was using physics as a reason elite soldiers are more competent than the average soldier.

Not really laws of physics, more like laws of logic. A monster typo+spellcheck=profit!

Kumo
2010-04-13, 09:56 PM
I'm just saying that showing them acting in a way consistent with what they are shouldn't be that hard, plus Fay has expressed a complete disregard for how the soldiers should be acting or how tough they're supposed to be in her comments simply because "They're faceless mooks!" which is a pretty poor defense.

I, at least, am not asking for Fayte to get his ass handed to him - I'm just saying that if the intention is to have him completely slaughter a troop of special forces who, being special forces, should have intel and know what they're dealing with? Then even I have a problem with that.

If, of course, that's not the intention, then I apologize to Fay - but so far she's made it pretty clear that that's what she was intending to do.

I don't remember exactly where it was posted (might be the IRC) but Fay mentioned that he plans to have the squad and Fayte fight so that Fayte still wins but the four of them and him are fairly even. (Don't quote me on that, please.)

What i don't understand is that there's been no indication besides Fayte's confidence that he's going to slaughter them like a forest fire slaughters trees, either, yet it is being treated that way.

I did look back for the comment you mentioned - what he said was that he considered going back and changing it but chose not to since it's his comic and four nameless facelesses. Mooks? No. But nobody's going to hear about how much their son is going to miss them when they die either.

Not really laws of physics, more like laws of logic. A monster typo+spellcheck=profit!

A pointed statement that does not actually change the invalidity of your point in any conceivable manner. In fact, it kind of makes it worse (at least in my eyes) because humans are more emotional than logical anyway.

The Gremlin
2010-04-13, 10:48 PM
I don't remember exactly where it was posted (might be the IRC) but Fay mentioned that he plans to have the squad and Fayte fight so that Fayte still wins but the four of them and him are fairly even. (Don't quote me on that, please.)

What i don't understand is that there's been no indication besides Fayte's confidence that he's going to slaughter them like a forest fire slaughters trees, either, yet it is being treated that way.

I did look back for the comment you mentioned - what he said was that he considered going back and changing it but chose not to since it's his comic and four nameless facelesses. Mooks? No. But nobody's going to hear about how much their son is going to miss them when they die either.

A pointed statement that does not actually change the invalidity of your point in any conceivable manner. In fact, it kind of makes it worse (at least in my eyes) because humans are more emotional than logical anyway.

Dude, I'm not talking about their logic. I'm talking about our logic. The idea that Fayte could ever take out four elite gunmen if we actually payed attention to logic in his comic? :smallbiggrin:

Also, he's given more indication than lack thereof.

Fin
2010-04-14, 01:25 AM
Why? Was that blade supposed to be Threeshades's?

Aye, I didn't expect you to get it from just the comic but I did say that I was planning on bumping into you in my next comic. But not to worry.

Also I submitted a new thread a few days ago, it is awaiting some very careful and patient approval.

Kumo
2010-04-14, 05:52 AM
Dude, I'm not talking about their logic. I'm talking about our logic. The idea that Fayte could ever take out four elite gunmen if we actually payed attention to logic in his comic? :smallbiggrin:

ANOTHER pointless statement.

Also, he's given more indication than lack thereof.

Could you please explain that? Because i have no idea what you mean.

Grim ranger
2010-04-14, 06:32 AM
For love of plot, I leave this thread for month or two to finish my exams and Peacekeepers have became so elite that PC:s don't stand a chance against them? It seems my fears on the matter were justified.

Let's see if I can add something original to "peacekeepers own you" vs. "peacekeepers are owned"- argument. We all know that Special Tactics Peacekeepers are not pushovers, but they should get this much of an advantage. Why? Because in the setting they have effectively limitless resources and reinforcements at their beck and call, and if PC:s try to do something original, Mask can just resort to "they bring in hundred peacekeepers more, you die"-card. What fun is it if the outcome of the fights is decided in advance by crushing superiority of Peacekeepers simply trough Elite Mook Zerg Rush? This is not very fair nor is it fun.

And second point concerning the behaviour of the Peacekeepers. I don't think every single one of them would do everything "by the book", nor I see the harm in letting writers portray them in their own invidual styles. Should they be portrayed as total morons who cannot hit a wall of office building while inside it? No, they should not be portrayed thusly and they have not been. One missed piece of protocol should not be allowed to topple the Canon status of comic. If Mask comes down amongst us and lays down the "ultimate rules of portraying Peacekeepers" then I would propably listen. Othervice it makes no difference as long as not done so wrong it has to be intentional.

Emperor Ing
2010-04-14, 06:58 AM
Solution is simple: Get Rand to kill 'em. :smallwink:

Darklord Bright
2010-04-14, 07:14 AM
For love of plot, I leave this thread for month or two to finish my exams and Peacekeepers have became so elite that PC:s don't stand a chance against them?

If you had read my posts, at least, you would know that my point was not that they should be unbeatable - far from it - simply that they should be beaten in a matter that makes sense given their 'elite' status. My argument has been that 'Outsmarting the special forces = yes, Blowing them to hell without a challenge = no'.

So far, nobody has done the latter, but given that things appeared to be going that way, I spoke my piece. We have plenty of easily beatable Public Order peacekeepers, so why use the special forces in a comic where they are not depicted as special forces, you know? I'm not saying they should all be the spawn of Chuck Norris and Satan, I'm just trying to remind people that they should be competent, given that these aren't just any old random picked off the street, these are specially trained soldiers. They make mistakes, yes, but they shouldn't be bumbling mooks.

Once again, so far no one has portrayed them like this, but it's better to remind people preemptively than to have to argue after the fact. No harm done.

Threeshades
2010-04-14, 10:03 AM
All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback macke Threeshadesa dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All wotj and no feedabck bake Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades A dull boy. All work and tno feedback make Threshades a dull boy.

Aye, I didn't expect you to get it from just the comic but I did say that I was planning on bumping into you in my next comic. But not to worry.

Also I submitted a new thread a few days ago, it is awaiting some very careful and patient approval.

I could make it so that your comic will fit in some time later. Next thing the werewolves are gonna do is head back to the citadel and try to get threeshades back on her feet.

Lyinginbedmon
2010-04-14, 11:02 AM
It's a group.
Of Resistance members.
From various races.
All of whom are werewolves.

F'kin A! :smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-14, 11:04 AM
All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback macke Threeshadesa dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All wotj and no feedabck bake Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make Threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades a dull boy. All work and no feedback make threeshades A dull boy. All work and tno feedback make Threshades a dull boy.

Sorry, thought you were sleeping, comics are awesome, no critic, bye!

*leaves and comes back with an apple pie and top hat*

The Gremlin
2010-04-14, 11:17 AM
If you had read my posts, at least, you would know that my point was not that they should be unbeatable - far from it - simply that they should be beaten in a matter that makes sense given their 'elite' status. My argument has been that 'Outsmarting the special forces = yes, Blowing them to hell without a challenge = no'.

So far, nobody has done the latter, but given that things appeared to be going that way, I spoke my piece. We have plenty of easily beatable Public Order peacekeepers, so why use the special forces in a comic where they are not depicted as special forces, you know? I'm not saying they should all be the spawn of Chuck Norris and Satan, I'm just trying to remind people that they should be competent, given that these aren't just any old random picked off the street, these are specially trained soldiers. They make mistakes, yes, but they shouldn't be bumbling mooks.

Once again, so far no one has portrayed them like this, but it's better to remind people preemptively than to have to argue after the fact. No harm done.

Hear, hear. This pretty much sums up what I'm trying to say. Except the part about the chickens. I just can't seem to make that part clear.

Fin
2010-04-14, 12:08 PM
I could make it so that your comic will fit in some time later. Next thing the werewolves are gonna do is head back to the citadel and try to get threeshades back on her feet.

Well, after seeing your latest comic I was wondering if perhaps Fin could cross paths with the WereWolf group (and TS's body) en route to the citadel... I always wanted to ride a WereWolf... :smallfrown::smallredface::smallsmile:

Also, to feed your need for feedback: I was very impressed with wolfy ambushers, I like your stylez! Though I can't help but think that the drow's hair was the thing took the longest time to draw... It is very intricate.

T-O-E
2010-04-14, 12:19 PM
It seems people can't take non-magic users as serious threats. Maybe some sort of UNA magic division? It seems weird that there isn't one, aside from the Ghosts.

Mina Kobold
2010-04-14, 12:20 PM
Sorry, thought you were sleeping, comics are awesome, no critic, bye!

*leaves and comes back with an apple pie and top hat*

I got another comment now! YAY!:

Neekah Gahbiss is awesome.

That is all.

EDIT:

T-O-E: That's because theuy don't like magic very much :smallsmile:

The Gremlin
2010-04-14, 12:26 PM
I got another comment now! YAY!:

Neekah Gahbiss is awesome.

That is all.

EDIT:

T-O-E: That's because theuy don't like magic very much :smallsmile:

Don't they see it as outdated? After all, regardless of what the ABRians may think, the gun is mightier than the pen. Or any magic stuff, really. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-14, 12:58 PM
Don't they see it as outdated? After all, regardless of what the ABRians may think, the gun is mightier than the pen. Or any magic stuff, really. :smalltongue:

magic can create gigantic balls of fire, grant flight and cross the planes of existence just to name a few.

How is a gun mightier than that?

BRC
2010-04-14, 01:01 PM
magic can create gigantic balls of fire, grant flight and cross the planes of existence just to name a few.

Because it takes years of training, experience, and a good deal of luck to do that.

It takes a few months of training to shoot a gun or throw a grenade. And in real life, a bullet kills people just as well as shooting them with lightning.

The Gremlin
2010-04-14, 01:06 PM

Because squeezing a trigger the size of a sewing needle takes a bit less effort and time than chanting and selling your soul. :smallamused:

Mina Kobold
2010-04-14, 01:10 PM
Because it takes years of training, experience, and a good deal of luck to do that.

It takes a few months of training to shoot a gun or throw a grenade. And in real life, a bullet kills people just as well as shooting them with lightning.

He said 'mightier' not 'more convenient'

A bullet in real life might kill you if you are in plain sight without a bulletproof vest* while magic can summon creatures who shrug of grenades like pebbles, lay waste to entire cities, turn friend against friend and much, much more.

It might not be easy to get that much power but the magic itself is not weaker than bullets.

* I acknowledge that it's still incredibly dangerous, just nothing near magic.

EDIT:

Because squeezing a trigger the size of a sewing needle takes a bit less effort and time than chanting and selling your soul. :smallamused:

THAT. IS. NOT. MIGHT!

Might is potential and power, not how coonvenient it is to do it!

Kumo
2010-04-14, 02:41 PM

Do you understand how magic works? like, at all?

I'll grant you i'm a little fuzzy on the specifics but im pretty damn sure you don't have to sell your soul. (except maybe warlocks)

Mina Kobold
2010-04-14, 02:45 PM
Do you understand how magic works? like, at all?

I'll grant you i'm a little fuzzy on the specifics but im pretty damn sure you don't have to sell your soul. (except maybe warlocks)

Psst, new thread :smallsmile:

But you are right, magic rarely requires you to give your soul to anything and is quite oftentimes used for the exact opposite (as with lichdom)

The Gremlin
2010-04-14, 02:49 PM
Psst, new thread :smallsmile:

But you are right, magic rarely requires you to give your soul to anything and is quite oftentimes used for the exact opposite (as with lichdom)

'twas a joke.
Man, you guys need to link the thread, we don't all watch the forum. :smallsigh:

Kumo
2010-04-14, 02:51 PM
'twas a joke.
Man, you guys need to link the thread, we don't all watch the forum. :smallsigh:

Oh stop being so lazy :smalltongue:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149053