PDA

View Full Version : To Gain the Spark IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

industrious
2010-03-07, 01:11 PM
The two figures stared at each other from across the gear. Their faces held identical expressions; nodding once to seal their pact. There had been much discussion between the two the past few decades; now they had begun. Turning on their heels, black and white robes flowing behind them, they began to walk away from their meeting place, and back to their domains. There was work to be done.

The Call came in many forms and through many signs, but it came nonetheless. It came in the form of a hushed meeting in the Sixth Circle, in the form of an order from On High. It came in the form of a Demon Lord, his breath hot against a succubus's ear, in a peculiar form of wanderlust, in the tug of a wing this way. But no matter the form, the Call was the same.

The moon was empty that night; the sky devoid of the stars or clouds; a mere blank piece of firmament over a sleeping world. The wooded isle was unnaturally quiet: neither owl nor wind nor cricket disturbed the silence. Then you came into the clearing the midst of the woods, a perfect circle in its center. There is a table, plain and unadorned, and chairs made from a gray wood; they glow softly in the night. The world is quiet here, waiting. You had been Called here. And you are not alone.

whoiam
2010-03-07, 03:08 PM
We hear it, deep in our mind. Too long ago, the Tyrant's voice said 'go'. Now. Finally. A voice says 'come'. But it is not a Tyrant's voice. Not the call of the ships, nor the call of the Hive. The Overmind is dead.

Yet still we are called.

We do not know who could call a Tyranid so, when no other Tyranid remains who would. We do not know why they would call a species so despised the Gods Themselves cast us down.

But we do know that we will find out. One way or another.

After all... what have we to lose? The breeders are all dead. We cannot revive the Hive: We are nothing but an echo. The strange voice calls, and we shall answer.

It is perhaps a shame we never learned to craft boats. But a log and patience served well enough, and we are here now.

We can feel it calling to us...

It comes from within, from the center. This is peculiar - we see nothing there that could have called. Perhaps it is hidden from our senses. Few things can... but then, few things could have called us.

The forest is still and silent. Maybe it mourns for our passing, as we do. Druids always claim nature to be sentimental, after a fashion. It never spares the individual, but will allow the pack to survive... Perhaps it forgave even us.

Or perhaps the power that called us wants nothing else to bear witness.

What was that phrase the humans taught us?
Common: "It is better to light a forest on fire than to curse the darkness."
In an almost instinctive move, the insect reaches up with its upper right arm, and runs the claws at the end along the Scythe-shaped claw above its right shoulder. The claws on the upper right arm burst into a bright, but oddly green flame. This does not seem to bother the insect much.

The sound is still wrong. Too sharp, too crystalline. To be expected, we suppose. Our throat is not as soft as theirs is.

Here we have it... our goal. A table. And chairs. Hm. Biped chairs. They are always biped chairs.

There is something else here. Not the caller. We hear... we smell... we are not sure. We will go to the table, and we will wait.

Common: "I know there is something out there. You should show yourself. I am not in the mood for hunting you."

But we will...

AmberVael
2010-03-07, 03:37 PM
The air ripples, as if it were water disturbed by a pebble. The ripple flows outwards a ways, then from its center, glowing tendrils emerge, wrapping themselves around the edges of the rippling surface one by one before pulling something through space with little more effort than wrenching open a stuck door. Typhae steps out into the circular clearing, a few of her wings fading away as the power she called on disperses, but there are still a great many surrounding her. A quick eye can count up to twenty four pairs of wings gently drifting behind her, floating languidly.

Her eyes are inquisitive, darting around to pick up hints of what had called her here, investigating the surrounding landscape. Similarly, her wings spread outwards, seeking strange scents and feels, while her mind sweeps even further, touching on anything that seems unfamiliar. Which, of course, means she notices 'trix very quickly.

Still, she seeks out other things as well, anything else that might be around. One of her wings crawls over a chair, trying to determine its precise nature, whether it has magic on it, and of course, whether it would feel nice to sit in.

For the moment, she says nothing, just studying the location in curious silence.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-07, 04:35 PM
An indistinct form steps out of the night, his eyes instantly beginning a sweep of the area. Taking note of the two... women at the table he explores the rest of the island quickly before approaching the table.
Who are you and why are you here?
He asks as he finally approaches the table.

Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]

Hide-[roll2]
Move Silently-[roll3]
I have the Darkstalker feat, so even blindsighted folk gotta check to notice me and am spending a swift action each round to activate Assassin's Shadow step while exploring.

Utilizing Hat of Disguise to appear as Caleb (Disguise-[roll4]
Currently in Assassin's Stance.
Active Effects-Blindsight 60 ft. Shadow Form, Nondetection (DC 35 caster level check), Tongues, Immune to Detect Thoughts, Discern Lies and any attempt to magically discern my alignment.

Readied Maneuvers-
Five Shadow Creeping Enervation Strike
Sudden Death
Shadow Blink
Stalker in the Night
Death in the Dark
Diamond Nightmare Blade
Crimson Slash
Razorstorm

Ryuuk
2010-03-07, 04:46 PM
Serah

She was worried. The invitation had hadn’t been a surprise and she’d complied with the care she always took when entering His palace. She’d expected to be assigned back to the borders, a task she wasn’t looking forward to, but one she was ready to follow. Instead he passed on the call to her. She’d seen the signs, something was going to happen soon, and she’d spent the last few weeks preparing for whatever it may be, but… She’d planned on acting on her own accord. Now she was going as His eyes. To an observer, this difference may have been insignificant, but for her it meant the world.

It meant she was being watched…

Whatever profit she had hoped to obtain, anything she would prefer to keep hidden, whoever she’d be forced to answer to, He would know of it. Perhaps she’d been naive to think she could have ever acted unseen, in the end she was still bound by his shackles. She’ll be free of the eventually, she knew it, but until… Like a good, loyal little servant, she followed through.

She stepped into the material some distance from the island and then she faded, entering the ethereal. In a moment, the waters below her become a circular clearing and she found herself flying over a set of tables and chairs. There were creatures there so far, both… unique. Interesting, for Him to care there must be something more than this though. Are they mere eyes too? She stays hidden in the ethereal, watching them through the gray filter.

AmberVael
2010-03-07, 06:00 PM
Having decided that the chair was, indeed, comfortable- or at least interesting enough to try sitting in, Typhae drops into the seat without further ado, settling into it sideways, with her back resting against one arm rest, and her legs over the other, mostly so her wings would have somewhere to be- but partially because it was more interesting to sit that way.

She isn't overly concerned about the presence of others- she'd long ago learned her own capabilities and the relative competency of others, so she had difficulty feeling worried about what anyone could do to her, so she just decides to let them reveal and introduce themselves as they wish.

...which happens relatively soon. She hadn't quite noticed him before though. Huh.
"Do I need a reason to be here?"
Her voice sounds much more innocent and curious than defensive.

whoiam
2010-03-07, 06:14 PM
"We think you do, yes."
Pronouns, pronouns. Remember: Speak in the singular. We will only confuse the individuals if we do not.
"I think we all have one... even us."
Although we wish we had a reason that raised fewer questions...
"Ours was simple enough. We felt something calling us here, and we came. We had nothing more pressing to attend to."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-07, 10:55 PM
Gram - Warden Archon

The orders had been unexpected, certainly.

As a Warden, he had spent the vast majority of his life on the Walls, and an assignment elsewhere had never occurred to him. An assignment "until the foreseeable future" was the strangest of all, but he was a soldier, and a soldier followed orders. The Warden bowed his head in concentration on the plains of Celestia.

Far above the table, perhaps a quarter of a mile distant, is a flare of light, followed almost immediately by a thunderclap of sound. Something plummets from the sky, like a meteor in the dark, and moments later the ground is rent in an explosion as a great white mass creates a crater. A plume of dirt explodes skyward.

The dust settles, and standing in the crater is a massive bear, with snow white fur and gleaming mail. The bear stands on his hind legs, towering above the others. His eyes twitch, assessing and plotting, taking in the invisible and visible creatures present.

His vision pierces even more deeply through the magic, and his eyes flash with recognition when he spots two creatures in particular for who they truly are--an overwhelming aura of evil emanating from them. His right hand drifts towards the blade at his hip, as his body seems to sink towards the ground in a more comfortable, but tensed position.

He does not speak, but his eyes plainly ask the question: Who are you?

Martial Stance: Child of Shadow
Active: See Invisible, Tongues, Magic Circle against Evil, Aura of Menace (Will DC 26)

Ryuuk
2010-03-07, 11:35 PM
Serah

Nodding to herself, Serah gently makes contact with the ground. Even if the many-winged woman had already noticed her, the longer it took for the human to see her like this, the better. Her own wings shrink into her back, as she become 'human'. After a deep breath, she truly steps into the material, fading in behind one of the chairs, to the side opposite to the human.

She was reminded, once again, that few things ever are as they seem. The insect and the woman where both out of her net, but at this point, they were the least of her worries. The other 'human' was playing the same game she was. Now... who's eyes are you?

She doesn't hesitate, she simply takes a seat. "Maybe if you answered your own question first, they'd give you a real answer. I'd have to agree with them though, its only common courtesy." She keeps her gaze locked on the 'human'.

---

At least, she intended to keep her gaze, if not for the giant having caught her in the act. She turns to him, still in her seat, and moving a hand to her for, begins to laugh. Things where going swell. She blinks out of existance and reappeares instantly having put the table and the human between her and the bear. Her wings are back, there was really no use hiding them anymore. "I'm just someone who's desperate to know what this spot will bring tonight! We've got eyes and ears from all over the wheel now!" She doesn't draw her own weapon, or even make a move to reach for it. She simply motions the archon to come on over and prepares to teleport once again if the bear makes his move.

AmberVael
2010-03-07, 11:45 PM
Typhae

"Wow, a flying bear with a sword. That's pretty new."
Remarks Typhae, at the appearance of Gram. However, seeing that the succubus and the... well, flying bear, were getting ready for combat one way or another, she shifts her position to be sitting on the table, her wings spreading out to cut them off from each other.
"Hey now, this place looks kind of nice. Don't mess it up with fighting, alright?"

Typhae is relaxed and confident, certain that she could single handedly opposed everyone here and win. Hopefully it won't have to be proven to her how wrong she is.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-07, 11:50 PM
The Warden does not move, but simply watches, eyes flitting between the four figures around the table, but never truly leaving the two evil outsiders.

He shifts his stance, and extends his other senses, trying to discover any hints of a trap or ambush around him.

Shifting to Hearing the Air. Also using Scent. I know it won't turn up anything (other than plot devices), but Gram doesn't.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-07, 11:59 PM
Remaining calm through the commotion, Calebros' form begins to waver and he has his knives drawn before the earth spray from the bear-beast's landing clears. At the woman's sudden motion he tenses slightly, ready to spring into action at any time.
Put your weapon away Celestial, we are both law-keepers, and I have no personal quarrel with you at this time.
He says in celestial before turning to the demon (without giving the celestial his back).
As for you, keep your distance from me and your tricks away to yourself and I see no reason why we can't each live through this night.
He growls out in abyssal at her.

Same active effects as before.
Also readying an action to dimension door if anyone moves any closer to Calebros than they are now.

whoiam
2010-03-08, 05:43 AM
So, who do we have here...

"This place does not seem to us to have been intended as an arena. But we hope we are not required to wait around long for our answers. The bear is making us hungry."

Making us acknowledge hunger, at any rate. Still, things could be worse - we could still be feeling the hunger of a billion drones at once, rather than just one.

"Should we have a quarrel with any of you? We are not sure. Certainly, we doubt we could get along with all of you. You just seem to be too... divided... for that."

Ryuuk
2010-03-08, 07:14 AM
Serah

"Oh please... 'Law-Keeping?' If Mr. Bear over there didn't like your smell, than you're no better than me." She continues, greatly enjoying the irony. "I just don't hide it."

Nevertheless, she returns to her seat, turning her back to Archon and facing who she assumed now was a devil, it was just a matter of knowing which caste. She finds the insect woman rather amusing too. "Let the record show that it was the servant of heaven that made the air so tense. But, no, don't 'have a quarrel', let him finish what he started if he really intends to."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 07:45 AM
The bear is slow to answer, concentrating instead on what he perceives with his senses: the scent of the forest, the new breeze, and a decided lack of animals. They were often smarter at avoiding danger than humamoids, after all.

When he does, it is a slow rumble, as deep as the earth, if not quite as ancient.

"Hrmm. My weapon, you say? I am - hrmm - not the one with bared steel, - hrmm - Child of Darkness." His eyes trace the lines of the outsider's sword.

Yet he remains in a posture of readiness, still expecting the trap to be sprung.

"Would you - hrmm - be so kind as to tell me why you are here?"

There's a signature crest on his armor. If you can make the knowledge DC, you'll be able to identify him. Speaking of, I'm off to read everyone's backstories.

AmberVael
2010-03-08, 09:55 AM
Typhae

"Would you be polite enough to answer why you're intruding before anyone else answers?"
Typhae asks, one her wings twitching at the Archon.
"Because you know, we were all here first."

Typhae actually doesn't really mind if he's polite enough or not, she's curious to find out just what manner of being she's dealing with. Will he follow the more polite and codified realm like many archons would, or will he refuse and prove himself somewhat different- and perhaps a little arrogant and presumptuous?

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 10:31 AM
"Hroom. There is nothing for me to hide, - hrmm - for I do not know."

Ryuuk
2010-03-08, 10:46 AM
Serah

"Come on now," Serah turns around, taking a seat on the table to face the archon "you don't expect us to believe you came here on a whim? You're a warden, a guardian tasked with watching over the heavens." This last bit she said in an exaggerated, mocking tone.

"If I'm here, and our 'friend' back there is here, then you seem to have lost your way. Who forced you to come here?" She was enjoying herself.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 10:58 AM
Anger flares in the great bear's eyes at the accusation that he would be lying. Great muscles flex and tendons pop, but he remains where he is. He voice continues its plodding pace, but much more quietly--a stark warning evident.

"Do not - hrmn - question my integrity - hroom - child; for I never lie. I do not know my purpose, only - hrmm - that I was commanded."

AmberVael
2010-03-08, 11:05 AM
Typhae

"Well, you didn't tell us that you were ordered here, so really, you were leaving something important out."
Typhae points out, frowning a little.
"Don't get mad at us for pointing that out."

"As for me, I am here because I feel like it. Just a whim, no reason to it besides a feeling. But that's pretty common for me"

Ryuuk
2010-03-08, 11:08 AM
Serah

"Ah, then we share more in common than I thought... I was ordered to come here too. Someone back home wants to know whats going to happen here tonight." She crosses her legs and playfully puts a hand on her chin, as if trying to think. "Amazing that the heavens share interests with the Abyss, don't you agree?"

She turns her head back and looks at the winged woman at the table from below. "Really? Your whims seem to have brought you to something big then."

AmberVael
2010-03-08, 11:20 AM
Typhae

Typhae gives a little smirk at Serah.
"The interests of angels and demons are of course intertwined, if only in opposition to one another. Even with that aside, they have a lot in common. Perhaps more than either side would want to admit, but as an observer, I don't have quite as much bias."

Her eyes twinkle a bit and her smirk grows into a grin.
"As for my whims, they may be slightly less irrational than those of others. I tend to sense things that other people don't, even if I don't fully comprehend what I'm feeling."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-08, 11:25 AM
"Hrmm. My weapon, you say? I am - hrmm - not the one with bared steel, - hrmm - Child of Darkness."[/highlight]

Ignoring the demon's jibes, Calebros turns to face Gram.
You're a bear.
He replies with a shrug.

So I'm not the only one that was ordered here. Seems the Wheel has some surprises in store tonight.
He thinks, smirking a little at the bear's indignation.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 12:38 PM
The great bear sighs.

"You are not - hrmm - assaulting the walls of Celestia; therefore I have not laid my own steel naked.

"Hrmph - Tell me plainly, do you intend to do me - hrmm - harm? If not, sheathe your weapon, let us have an accord, and let us discover our purpose here."

It is his longest sentence yet, and the others are likely grateful when it finally ends.

He waits patiently for a response, watching with a wary eye. The others at the table are finally beginning to filter through his mind, and the strangeness of the hive mind registers in the deeper currents of his brain.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

whoiam
2010-03-08, 01:02 PM
"Such is not always the way of the Celestial. We remember... oh, yes, we remember. The hosts of Heaven assailing us. We will not say we were blameless. We had slaughtered and eaten entire worlds: Such a hive cannot claim to be innocent. But we were not threatening *you*."

A little laughter. There was an odd clicking sound in 'trix's approximation of laughter - anyone watching closely would notice this stemmed from her mandibles touching, almost like they were clapping.

"At least, not immediately threatening you. Had the hives grown for long enough, then perhaps... that war would have been more even. But it was not."

Turning slightly to address the group around the table instead of the Archon in particular, she continues: "They killed the breeders - all of the breeders - in their first attack. Appear in the center of the hive, murder anything that could have made more of us, and disappear. Then cut our drones down once the hive was already Dead. Most of us did not even bother to fight after that first assault. What would have been the point? As a species, we are already extinct. There will be no new Tyranids. Nothing survives that could have created them."

Here, 'trix slouches against the back of one of the 'uninhabited' chairs. Her upper set of arms (7" claw arms) were folded along the top of the chair's back, and her hands were resting on the arm-rests.

"We just wish we could hold a grudge against them for that. But we know... were the positions reversed... we would have done the same. Remove the threat before it truly became one.

We... I... wish you had not been so soft-hearted as to leave some of us alive, sometimes. It is no pleasant thing, to watch our race die out. Every voice fall silent... every thought, mine alone. We suppose we could fashion a grudge from such a grievance... but we see little point. The death of Celestial Beings will not return the Hive. It all seems so... pointless... somehow."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 01:11 PM
The Warden stares in shock as the thing speaks. Its like he has never encountered before, to be sure, and with fresh eyes he takes in the details of its form, color, and many appendages.

He has no idea how to respond to it.

industrious
2010-03-08, 01:15 PM
"Hardly pointless. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to Call you here now, would they?" A tall, slim figure emerges from nothingness. Robed in plain black, you are unable to distinguish his actual features. He smiles patronizingly.

"It was necessary. Not only because of the threat then, but because of the one now." Another figure appears, identical to the first save for a white robe. His expression is solemn. "Please, sit down. All of you."

It is an odd feeling to look at either of them. While the outsiders are used to getting a certain...sense from people, their personal moral directions, these two betray nothing. Beyond the range of your physical senses, they might as well not exist.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 01:28 PM
Gram had heard nothing, smelt nothing, seen nothing. In all his years of life, he had never--never--been unable to tell the innermost nature of a being simply be examining their soul. Law, evil, good, chaos, even neutrality--all of these were a stamp on a person's heart that he could read in an instant, magical techniques of hiding them be damned.

But these two people--these he could not read, and the realization was more disconcerting than that of finding a a demon and a devil reclining at table together. They did not fit inside his neat little boxes, and therefore they might as well not even exist.

He did not like the feeling.

Gram does not move an inch, still rooted to his spot at the brim of his crater.

"Who are you?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-08, 01:34 PM
Serah

If they really did slaughter millions and set worlds ablaze, then perhaps it was best for those mortal demons to be extinct. There was already enough competition. Their hosts reveal stops this train of thought though.

Her manerisms stop being as playful or mocking, there were more important things now than toying with the archon. They are here, but not here... closer to vestiges than anything else, but... She takes a seat, and waits for the others to do the same.

AmberVael
2010-03-08, 01:35 PM
Typhae

The sudden emergence of these men and the... lack of feeling they emitted makes Typhae frown a little. There were only a few things that had that quality, and considering their silent, apparently unnoticed appearance, she rather wondered if they were simply a cunningly crafted illusion.

On the other hand, it was possible that they had attained a mental state that prevented her from detecting them. There were a very few number of the gith who had been able to do something like that in their meditations, but that usually was brief and took a great deal of schooling.

Of course, she knew that she could do such a thing just with the power of her wings, separating out any of the effects that would seek to touch her before they even arrived.

As she's already sitting in a seat (having slipped off the table after a short time of sitting there), and they don't have any questions for her, she remains silent for the moment.

industrious
2010-03-08, 03:11 PM
The black figure chuckles. "It bothers you, doesn't it? Unable to tell who or what we are? Angels so love to control everything. Check off those neat little boxes in neat little rows."

The white-robed one flicks his eyes towards his counterpart. "It's called synchronitic interference. Where we currently stand, our various effects neatly cancel each other out. This is for your own good. As to who we are..." his smile is small, and somehow sad. "if you really wish to know, then we will show you."

Ryuuk
2010-03-08, 03:55 PM
Serah

Black and white, canceling each other out... Maybe the positive and negative plane? No, surely there's more to it... Serah looked on, her mind racing. "Archon, come and have a seat, whoever they are, they are the reason we're all here." There was no more mocking in her voice, no more toying. Her voice was cold and analytical. It was simply a suggestion that, in the end, mattered little to her.

"I, for one, would really like to know." She turns to the figure in white and tries to match it's gaze. "I suspect we'll know eventually, but I would like to know now, whatever it may be..." She was, or at least tried, to be ready for anything.

Well, worst case scenario, I use my daily Cunning Dodge to scrape out of whatever horrible thing this brings.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-08, 04:17 PM
Very well bear, I intend you no harm at this time.
Calebros says as he sheathes his knives and has a seat at the table, attempting to keep as much of the table between him, the demon and the archon as possible.
Who are these people? Well, I suppose I can listen to what they have to say. I was sent here on reconnaissance after all.
I too would like what you are, though my better sense tells me it should be otherwise.

Do they register to my blindsight? it's a physical sense, but it's not sight/hearing.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-08, 04:45 PM
The warden finally moves from his position on the rim. He takes four large steps toward the table and stops short.

"Hrmn. I prefer to stand, - hrmm - thank you."

His hand moves away from the sword hilt, but muscles and tendons continue to flex and pop, and the lines of his jaw are set tight.

whoiam
2010-03-08, 05:06 PM
Sit? No thanks. You try sitting on an armor-plated tail sometime.

As a concession to comfort, 'trix crossed her upper arms on the table, and her legs rested on one of the chairs. The weight was on the four limbs - her torso was horizontal, her tail draped over the chair back. Her lower arms were also crossed - against her chest this time, a mannerism she'd learned humans often used when annoyed.

"We also find ourselves less than curious about you. Intellectually, we know that anything of such great import should be in our interest: But this is not about intellect. Why should we listen to one who would LAUGH at our extinction? Or worse, one who would engineer it?"

We're being unfair. Did we not just admit that, from their point of view, attacking us was the correct choice?

"We are sorry for our outburst. As you can probably guess, the subject is a raw one for us. Speak your piece, we... I... will listen."

industrious
2010-03-09, 08:25 PM
The black one inclines his head ever so slightly at their request.

"As you wish."

Then he takes a single step backwards, and the interference is lessened for a split second. And you catch a glimpse of him. Darkness and death and despair; an evil so dark as to make night seem as noon. The evil that lurks in all saint's souls. Some of you have stood before Demon Lords and Archdevils; they are mere amateurs compared to this one. You know this, all of you, simply by looking around him; you find it nearly impossible to look directly at him. A plain figure in a black robe, his figures somehow obscured. But so much more.

But with his counterpart's step backwards, the other's aura is revealed as well. Peace and tranquility, wisdom and infinite sadness. Every sinner still carries some amount of good within him, some prospect of redemption. The part of all creatures that is indomitable, that will not yield no matter the circumstances. Equal and opposite to the dark figure, the white-clad entity smiles.

"It was your choice to know who we were. And now, the two of us have a task for you."

AmberVael
2010-03-09, 08:30 PM
Typhae

"What do you want us to do?"
Typhae asks curiously.
"And why us?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-09, 08:52 PM
Serah

Serah is taken aback. She tries not show it, and to set her stare on the figures for as long as they are revealed. Every demon she had ever come across claimed to be malevolence in the purest form, likewise every angel with kindness... No, not quite, by definition, we are supposed to be the element made manifest. For this pair to exist, a more distilled purest form... Where exactly do they stand, in the grand scheme of things? What the hell are they?

She keeps playing with these ideas while the wanderer asked her questions. It was the answers that mattered, after all. At least this answers for the devil and the archon... When compared to them, we have so many impurities that we must look the same.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-09, 09:23 PM
What exactly is it that you want from us?
Calebros asks, attempting to mask his awe with suspicion.
And why can't you just do it yourselves?

Barbarian MD
2010-03-10, 09:46 AM
Gram snaps his eyes shut against the blinding auras, trying to maintain both his vision and his sanity. With an effort of will, he suppresses his second sight and opens his eyes again. The aura is still there, but no longer painful.

How the two of them could possibly be together, he did not know, but they had his attention. As the others had already voiced the questions he himself wanted answered, he remained silent.

whoiam
2010-03-10, 07:46 PM
Odd response from the insect. Well, what other kind of response did she have? She did not avert her eyes from the beings in front of her. If for no other reason than she lacked eyeballs - compound eyes don't have a 'swivel' function, since they already have full peripheral cover. She also avoided the urge to add in questions, sarcasm, or vocalise her own mental problems. Were one to look at her, and have any idea of Tyranid Body Language, she would appear to be... confused.

What an odd sensation. We feel as though we are facing down another pair of hives: But not Tyranid hives. Those minds contain concepts that Hives do not experience. Concepts we do not even know the names for.

It was the first time 'trix had actually felt... well, evil. For all a Tyranid Hive's default rapaciousness, they were not cruel, not sadistic. Simply incaring... and hungry. Which is why concepts and feelings that should have frightened her were instead confusing her. She simply did not understand the feelings she was receiving.

Likewise, some of the concepts from Mister White-Robe did not register properly either. Altruism she had mastered - being selfless was burned into the deepest recesses of her insectoid brain - but empathy and redemption meant about as much to her as sadism had done. But she at least knew the words for what she was feeling from this one...

industrious
2010-03-11, 06:04 PM
Letting their auras linger for a moment more, the two deliberately step back towards each other. The two figures seem ordinary now; some of you feel as if their frames could be crushed into powder. But you have felt the power that the exude; you now that their appearance is a mere mask. They speak in unison

"Our presence upon the Wheel is an anomaly; our very existence evidence that there is something wrong with the cosmos. The Balance is carefully maintained by both sides and by its Keepers. To disrupt it is to destroy the Wheel, and bring about the end before its allotted time. We know that there is one who is planning to do so, who is at the exact juncture to do so. You must stop him, or We will." Those last words hang in the air. Images of what that would entail flutter through your minds. There power was such that to directly wield it would be to recreate the Wheel; shattering it prematurely and reconstructing it out of its ashes. You doubt the planes would be anything similar afterwords.

AmberVael
2010-03-11, 06:20 PM
Typhae

The idea of the planes being recreated intrigues Typhae, to an extent- but she realizes that would likely sweep her along with it, and she has enough self-preservation for that to be quite enough of a reason for her to want to do something. That, and she did have a fair amount of attachment to the way the planes were now.

Simple reasons, perhaps, in the face of something huge, terrifying, and complicated. But Typhae never really had any use for overcomplicating the issue.

As the thoughts go through her mind, Typhae's whimsy seems to slip away, her wings forming a shroud around her as her eyes narrow. While before she may have appeared a bit harmless and odd, now she seems far more like the celestials and fiends that have also shown their presence here. The ruthless and rapacious nature of the demons can be seen in her eyes and in the darkening halo of her wings, and the righteous anger of the angels is apparent on her face. In that moment, she is both wholly familiar, and utterly alien, taking aspects from all things around her and reworking them to her purpose.

"Who."
Yet even as she asks, intent on hunting down and destroying this person, her mind rushes through the possibilities of doing away with the two before her as well, because they had just admitted they posed an equal threat...

Barbarian MD
2010-03-11, 06:39 PM
"And what evidence - hrmn - have you?" asks the archon, for justice requires it.

industrious
2010-03-11, 07:02 PM
The dark one tilts his head slightly. "Evidence? We exist, therefore we know."

The white-robed one explains. "We emerge from nothingness when the Wheel is actively threatened. While we instinctively know the reason why, I" he says, glancing at his counterpart "created a file of certain signs that have emerged in the past few years. The tides of the Blood War receding; troop desertion among the devils and demons. The destruction of the almost all the surviving Tyranids. The sudden replacement of the High Priestess of the Church of Heavens. Nothing direct, for he is careful. But we know one thing for sure."

An image appears, of a pale man in black, tall and slight of build. "This man is involved with the affair somehow; this Vincent Liuxi."

Ryuuk
2010-03-11, 07:11 PM
Serah

Power that can disrupt the balance of the wheel... She heard the warnings, the coming catastrophe. She understood that if this being wasn't stopped, everything would do so. Yet, this was the idea that rang out. Out there was someone who knew how to throw a wrench into the planes themselves... She stays silent, letting the others ask her questions for her. Her posture straightens, her legs and arms are crossed while a hand goes to her covers her mouth. Not even the keys to her lords domain could make her leave this clearing now. Who indeed...

When the name is dropped, Serah's runs it through everything she's ever read, everything she's ever been told and everything any of her victims have ever known. She calmly takes an old tome from her back and flips through it.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-11, 07:11 PM
Gram

"What do you know of him?"

The archon is intrigued, and they have him now. He will investigate this matter to its end. Whether or not the two are speaking the truth--or lying for their own gain--he will judge for himself when he can ascertain the facts. But as to his involvement in the affair, there is no question now. For this, if it is true, is a threat against Mount Celestia greater than any yet faced by the Wardens.

"And..." the gears are spinning his his mind, slowly and inexorably, "However - hrmn - would such a thing be - hrom - brought about?"

whoiam
2010-03-11, 07:32 PM
"And why would our destruction be a pre-requisite? We would have happily assaulted the higher or lower planes, had we thought such an endeavor to carry the chance of success. We would have done it ourselves with power enough to do so..." Alright, she wasn't making a great case for being included in the anti-destruction-of-everything group, but then she wasn't trying to. Besides, everyone at this clearing would have happily assaulted one of the other planes, given the chance. Some of them just to see if they could. They'd understand.

"We... think, perhaps, there is a deal that can be made, here. If you are as powerful as you claim, powerful enough you cannot go to war without shattering the planes as a whole, then there is something you can do for us. The one thing that matters for us. Eggs - fertilised Tyranid eggs. We would have a hive again. Contingent, of course, on our success. Even were we confident of such, we would not care to be saving the Wheel with the young on our back. Of course, if you refuse me... well, you can always find others, we suppose, but there was a reason why we, specifically, were called here..."

Yeah, yeah, you probably know we are bluffing. You probably are reading these thoughts even as we think them. It's for the benefit of the others, alright? They will trust us more if they know us to be motivated by something we are still invested in...

industrious
2010-03-11, 09:09 PM
"Eggs, you say?" the dark one drawls. "I think something could be arranged."

Serah recalls the name vaguely; one of the souls she had devoured in the Abyss had seen the man on a regular basis. He was the court barber in the kingdom of Sewaney.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-12, 10:32 AM
As the two figures step back towards each other Calebros narrows his eyes.
Reinventing the wheel would certainly stymie my chances to advance. I should investigate this if nothing else.

What can you tell me about this man?

The bug woman seems to have made a demand, I wonder what advantage I can negotiate for myself?

I would assume the two of you have at least limited access to the divine power that devils harvest from souls?*
Calebros asks the two figures, the cogs in his mind working furiously.

*-Things in italics and underlined are what I'm using for telepathy, if you have a different preferred format let me know and I'll start using it.

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 11:45 AM
Typhae

Of course... that's evidence for the pair, not for any of the people gathered here. For all they know, this could all be lies. Given the power of the two before them, it is also possible they no one could figure it out until it was too late. Typhae's anger fades into cold contemplation, logic overriding her emotion.

Hm.

The best way to figure it out though is to go and investigate, and she doesn't really have any reason to suspect it as false yet, though she isn't necessarily willing to accept it is true either. Best play it safe.

"Where can we find him? Is there any manner in which you would want us to proceed?"

industrious
2010-03-12, 07:07 PM
The light one raises an eyebrow at the devil. Yes. But we do not interfere in such matters. The Tyranids were a special instance. Yours...is not.

The dark one stares at Typhae. "Do as you must to defend the balance. Do we need to spell it out for you?"

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 07:18 PM
Typhae

Typhae bristles at the condescension in his voice.
"I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you'd want the job done well, rather than us accidentally choosing some route which will just make it worse.

"But I guess expecting clarity and comprehension from a something that appears personification of morality is a bit ridiculous on my part. I'll go 'defend the balance,' as you so nebulously put."

Her voice is quite scathing, and she seems unconcerned with just who she's directing it at.

"If you've nothing more useful to say, just give us a grand 'you must do what you know is right' before running off. We've got work to do, and apparently little thanks for it. So back off and let us get to it, won't you?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-12, 07:28 PM
Serah

Flipping through her tome, Serah turns to an immense list of names, each one followed by a place and a date. They say that during the brief moments before death a person's life flashes before their eyes. She could vouch for that, to her, these last frantic visions where like an introduction meant to draw one in. But you shouldn't always judge a book by its cover. A dedicated reader knows how to trudge on, after all, you never know when something apparently irrelevant open a door to much, much more.

She can't he help but stifle a laugh. A barber! She snaps her tome shut. If a mere mortal was involved in this somehow, one as mundane and ordinary as the Vincent Liuxi she recalled, then this power could very be at anyone's grasp...

She still listens, there were enough questions already.

industrious
2010-03-12, 07:49 PM
The two stare at the archon, as if only now hearing his words. "Only that he is involved in this. And that the End can be brought about in many ways. Armageddon is merely one of them."

The two vanish, leaving you alone on the isle.

Ryuuk
2010-03-12, 08:16 PM
Serah

Serah tilts her head, smiling. She turns to the winged woman "Not quite in your words, but they got the right idea." With a snap of her fingers, Vincent appears stands tall on top of the table. It is exactly like the one the pair had made, except for the comb carried on his left ear and the pair of scissors peeking out of her right pocket.

"I'm thinking we're all thinking the same thing... So why not enjoy our odd little group for at least a while longer. Now, how are you planning on murdering Mr. Liuxi?" With great pleasure, she turns to the archon as she finishes her question.

OOC:
Standard Action for Haures's Major Image
Probably irrelevant with so many alternate senses, but DC 31 Will save to Disbelieve :smalltongue:

whoiam
2010-03-12, 08:22 PM
We are? That does not seem to be our thought at all...

"Actually, we were thinking from their wording that simply killing this being may not be the solution. Specifically, we are thinking they were implying that this one is not the *whole* of the problem, merely the clue at which we are to start our investigations. To kill this one before we know what our next step is to be would probably be premature."

Ryuuk
2010-03-12, 08:52 PM
Serah

After a moment's pause, she shrugs. "I guess it might just be some of us then..." Unfazed, her playful tone slowly crawling back, she gently steps onto the table and begins to pace around Vincent, her hands at her back. "Very well then, how are you planning on getting your hands on him? Surely, if you're already thinking of your reward you must have some course of action."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-12, 08:53 PM
Gram meets the succubus' gaze evenly.

"Hrmn. Understand this: I - hrmn - am no executioner.

"And - hroom - Justice requires proof, which - hrmm - I will find."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-12, 09:03 PM
You're over complicating this. We find him and give me an hour with him and I'll learn everything he knows on the subject.
Calebros replies to the succubus, his grin spreading just a little further than a human's should.
After that... Well, I'm sure we can come up with something.

whoiam
2010-03-12, 09:07 PM
"Dinner," 'trix suggests. "Good meat should not be wasted."

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 09:26 PM
Typhae

Typhae crosses her arms as the two leave, and her wings stretch out behind her rather proudly, giving off a somewhat haughty appearance. Once they're gone, she quiets and calms down a bit, listening to the various opinions offered.

"I agree that we need to do some investigation and divination for evidence,"
She says, nodding to the angel.
"We need to know we're not just targeting a decoy. It would be unfortunate to think we did our job only for it to turn out that we completely missed the target.
"Plus, I really don't have any reason to trust those two. They showed up out of nowhere, gave no evidence, and left. Before I do something, I want to know it's actually achieving what I want to accomplish."

Ryuuk
2010-03-12, 10:17 PM
Serah

"Of course you're not, a weapon like that is surely just for self defense." Serah turns to the image, the winged woman's words in mind. If whatever is behind this can tilt the wheel, odds are a pair of murderers, an arcanist and someone that mortals can trust might be of some use. At the very least, they can serve as a distraction. "Well, we could just go check."

"I pay a lot of attention to the prime, I was made to do so, to be honest. I've actually heard Mr. Luixi's name whispered among mortals before." With a few gestures, she makes the image start moving. "Funny thing, really. If he's the same Luixi I've heard of, he's some sort of royal barber..." The image draws the scissors and comb, getting to work on an invisible head. "You've gotta hand it to him, he's really gone up in the world."

AmberVael
2010-03-12, 10:53 PM
Typhae

"A barber?"
Typhae brushes some of her liquid hair aside, scooting over to look at the image more closely, curious.
"Not really what I expected. But if you think that's him, going to him and checking would be the most straightforward way of finding something out. I don't really have any objection to it."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-12, 11:40 PM
Before any of us work together some ground rules need to be laid out. And some of you will need to convince me that you'll abide by them.
Calebros glances at Serah as he finishes.
First and foremost, we're going to need some rules in place to prevent random violence among each other. In addition, on the off chance that we find something of value, knowing how to divide up the rights to it ahead of time will make everything much more efficient.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-12, 11:53 PM
Gram grunts in acknowledgement of the suggestion, even if he's not in the least excited about this arrangement.

"Hrmm. If necessary, I can - arhm - place a bind on each of us to - hrmn -ensure our pact, - ahm - but I expect you would have to - aroom - willingly receive the binding."

I have discern lies, and possibly zone of truth, at will. If we all failed our save on purpose...

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 11:50 AM
Serah

She shrugs. "It's the only lead we have at the moment. At the very least, I'm sure that there is a Vincent Luixi that can put a sharp blade up to a ruler's head and walk away with his blessing." The image bows, looking rather proud.

"Really? You're worried about me? You're the only one that's drawn steel against us." She meets Calebros' glance with a knowing smile. "There seems to be some underlying bias here. I'm insulted, I haven't even reached for a weapon. Really, I think I've been rather cooperative."

She hops off the table, her hands still behind at her back. "...but fine. If you feel that you can trust in an arrangement planned by a devil more than a demon's word, so be it. If you're still not satisfied, I'll just take my lead and be on my way."

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 11:59 AM
Typhae

Typhae seems quite amiable to Serah's suggestion, and then pauses as Calebros and Gram bring up the idea of rules and pacts. She frowns and shakes her head.
"I'm not interested either. Rules just make getting where you want and need to go that much harder. Even if you make them, I will have no intention of abiding by them at all, and there's really nothing you can say on the issue that will change my mind."

She nods towards Serah.
"If she goes, I'm going with her. So far, she seems to be the most reasonable and knowledgeable of any of you, and the only one with a lead on the whole thing. And if you're not interested with working with her just because she's a demon, then that's really your loss."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 12:09 PM
Hrmn. I was referring to a pact not to - hrmm - kill each other.

whoiam
2010-03-13, 12:10 PM
"We have no bias against demons."

We have no real knowledge of demons. Still, any travelling companion that annoys an Archon is good to have if we must travel with an Archon.

"Do the rest of you posess the capacity to teleport? We do, but are unsure if we could carry all of you along with us. Some location details would be required from that one" 'trix could not remember having been introduced. "for us to make such a journey accurately."

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 12:14 PM
Typhae

"I have no reason to trust you."
Typhae points out to the angel.
"Maybe I'll need to kill you at some point. Or the devil. Or maybe you'll need to kill me. I'm not going to swear any pact around it."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 12:16 PM
Gram answers the aberration's question: "I can.

"Hrmn. I have forgotten my manners. I am Gram."

I'm going to reduce the number of un-intelligble vocalizations I write for Gram. I'm trying to convey a very slow manner of speaking, akin to Treebeard in Lord of the Rings, but I imagine people are beginning to find it annoying.

In answer to Typhae: "Very well."

And it is a good thing that I do not sleep.

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 03:31 PM
Serah

The succubus sits on the table as the winged woman defends her case. She looked rather proud of herself, closing her eyes and nodding at the praise. "Thank you, its so rare to have someone at your side."

"I see your point, with the gears turning as they are, there's really no way of knowing what will need to be done. However, if we're planning on working together, I think we can all agree on trying to be helpful, at least, even if real trust may be beyond our reach. There's some powerful forces at play here, after all, we might not last long otherwise." She nods to the chitinous, motherly being. "As I said before, I was made to keep an eye on the prime, for me, distance is meaningless."

"Gram, is it? A pleasure, my name is Serah..." She stands firmly on the ground, and looks up to the towering warden. "Shall we try to follow the figures example?"

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 03:38 PM
Gram nods.

"If I allow prejudice to kill me, I shall have failed in my task to defend Celestia."

whoiam
2010-03-13, 03:46 PM
"We are 'trix - Dominatrix, Hive Kraken, if you wish to be formal. You all heard our motivation. If we succeed, our race lives. We would tolerate a trillion of each of you if such was the price."

If we were watching someone else saying those words, we would probably consider it amusing. It always is when it is some other species on the line.

Perhaps we should have spared a few of them in the days before.

Too late.

"If you would not mind, Serah, we think the easiest way to move on is to pick a target location from your memory of this... person... and his country. Somewhere secluded, ideally. We can hide well enough given a chance to prepare, but it would be difficult to avoid notice if we were to materialise in the center of the town square."

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 03:53 PM
Typhae

"I am Typhae- and personally, I have links to almost every plane and location in existence, so if we need to get somewhere, I can take care of it."
Typhae says, with a bit of a confident and proud smile.

"You're welcome, Serah. And I know how hard it must be to find someone you can trust-"
Here, she lapses into abyssal, making a short quote:
[Even an ally can carry a dagger to put in your back. Only trust who you know absolutely.]

The quotation is somewhat modified, however, perhaps purposefully. The popular phrase runs closer to trusting no one, because you only know yourself fully. Typhae's reinterpretation is interesting, because it follows the same logic, yet ends with a different conclusion.

She nods in agreement with 'trix.
"If you can give me a location with enough detail, I should be able to get us there in a moment."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-13, 04:00 PM
You may call me Caleb.
The young man says, walking to the Archon and the Demon.
I would be remiss in my duties if I did not at least look into this, and as it seems the only one who knows where he might be is the temptress it looks as though we'll be traveling together for the time being.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 04:19 PM
Gram is still standing, legs planted, arms now crossed, throughout the discussion. To each name in turn Gram gives a slight nod of acknowledgement as he commits the name to memory.

Would any knowledge (planes or religion) checks reveal anything about anyone? Speaking of: If you know anyone that's assaulted Celestia in the past 300+ years and survived, the name of Gram and his Signature Crest might ring a bell.

"Dominatrix, in the future I would learn more about your race. But for now, perhaps it would be best if we were off." He turns pointedly to Typhae and Serah.

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 04:33 PM
Serah

Serah simply smiles. She'd gotten two strangers to support her views, had a devil follow her rules and had been the one to offer peace to an archon... she loved this. This could be the start of something truly interesting.

"Very well then. If memory serves, Mr. Liuxu practiced his trade in the kingdom of Sewaney, our best bet is somewhere in the capital. To be at least a bit subtle, we should land on the city's outskirts." She slowly nods to herself, looking down. "Is that enough for you to work, Typhae?" She snaps her fingers, making the image on the table disappear "Or would you prefer I scout out a proper landing first?"

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 04:42 PM
Typhae

"That should be fine. And I can make it so we won't be seen."
Typhae slips out into an open space, her wings beginning to unfurl around her, stretching out as she prepares.
"If we've got nothing else to do before hand, I can go ahead. Just gather close when you're ready."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 05:02 PM
Gram steps in close, trying to huddle his bulk for her sake.

whoiam
2010-03-13, 05:39 PM
Scythes retracting and folding against her back, 'trix also moves in close.

We do seem to be surprisingly good huddlers.

"It is not as though we have equipment to check."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-13, 06:26 PM
Calebros follows the lead of the two larger beings.
I am ready.

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 06:32 PM
Serah

Serah joins the others. "Full speed ahead then."

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 06:42 PM
Typhae

The wings of Typhae stretch out further, unfolding and multiplying. She gestures in a circling motion, her body following the movement in prelude to a greater dance.
"My wings are many, but rarely seen."
Anyone familiar with magic can tell that her words are more than an explanatory phrase- something about it, the precise method of her speaking it and the resonance it seems to have with the wings spread around her speaks of something more. At the words, her wings curl around the group in a permeable, translucent boundary, a shell of water made of countless streams.

Typhae then redirects her gesture, throwing her arm out dramatically, speaking once more.
"Yet they pass over everything."
The group instantly feels pulled, as if they had grabbed hold of something far away and were drawing themselves to it. The landscape passes by in a blur, and in a moment more, they are precisely where Serah described.

First, casting Invisibility Sphere from my Beguiler list. Second, Greater Teleport from Sorcerer list.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-13, 07:05 PM
Gram immediately drops into a stance. Simultaneously, he reaches for his weapon and concentrates a stream of magic through the hilt into his yet-sheathed blade. Every sense is alert to danger: sight, sound, smell.

Pearl of Black Doubt. True Strike. See Invisibility is still up.

EDIT: Oh, and since it's 24 hours, I suppose I should mention: detect scrying.

industrious
2010-03-13, 09:08 PM
No scrying detected

You find yourselves in one of the capital city's back-alleys. Filthy water runs down the tin roofs to drip onto Gram's head; the stench of decay and sin surrounds the area. Cramped together in the narrow space, you can see the exit onto a wider street, where various shabbily-dressed people scurry about, none of them looking anybody in the eye.

AmberVael
2010-03-13, 09:54 PM
Typhae

<Where do we go from here, Serah?>
Queries Typhae telepathically, letting her voice spread to all the other members of the group as she keeps up her shroud around them.

Ryuuk
2010-03-13, 10:51 PM
Serah

Not the most glamorous side of the city, but one that reminded her of home, she had to admit. <Well, now we have to get creative. The only thing I'm sure of is that there was a Vincent Luixi that served this city's courts when I last passed by here.> Those that where cramped against her wings now have a bit more room to move. <If this cities has any semblance of order, there should be records for this sort of thing. We could also try to find a first hand source, but given Luixi's trade we might be in the wrong side of town.> When the entrance of the alley is clear, a wingless version of her steps out of the globe, stretching. As in the clearing, she seems to be a young, human woman with black hair. <Regardless, we're not going to find him cramped in a corner. If any of you can take more... mundane... forms, we might have an easier time. Best case scenario, we're looking at a few hours of mingling with humans.>

<I could get to work while you decide what to do. Just tell me where I'll be able to find you, I doubt this alley will be as pleasing an hour from now.> She leans against the wall, legs and arms crossed.

whoiam
2010-03-14, 05:26 AM
"We have three choices really. We, as in I, not we, as in we. We are not used to mixed group pronoun choices. Anyway. We have three choices: To sneak, trusting to the darkness and the chitin to get us to somewhere. To hide, and wait for a signal that we are or are not needed. Or to locate a length of chain, and pretend we have been captured and tamed. None of this place's inhabitants would know better."

AmberVael
2010-03-14, 02:54 PM
Typhae

One of Typhae's wings curls around her as she whispers something, and in a moment she appears far more human, if still just a tiny bit off. Still, it's far better than she was, and it's doubtful that someone would comment on her. Her hair has become a normal black, while her eyes are a lighter blue, but otherwise she's changed little.

<I'm good to go.>
She says, giving a grin and a wink.
<I think you should probably sneak around, 'trix. You and Caleb, perhaps? He seems good at that sort of thing. Serah and I can probably handle social interaction, and...>

Typhae looks at Gram, and appears a bit stumped.
<You can... um... what do you suggest?>

Alter Self to Tiefling.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-14, 06:31 PM
Gram looks down, as if to examine himself. Glancing back up to address Typhae, the expression in his body language suggests a shrug.

"I had thought to walk openly to protect you on the streets. If you desire, I will cloak myself, but I doubt it will provide any significant disguise...

"Hrmn. Or I could maintain more distance." With his eyes, he gestures to the skies with meaning.

It's night time, right? Otherwise, a flying bear would cause more trouble than it solves. :smalltongue:

Ryuuk
2010-03-15, 08:04 PM
Serah

Turning to the streets, Serah looks over the pedestrians. A sentient bear, walking down these streets, might cause some panic. It would be fun to watch, though. Well, perhaps... was this place even mostly human?

OOC:
Mindsight lets me sense every creature with an Int score within 100ft, telling me their location, Int score and type. Could I get a quick survey of what's around us? If it's all humanoids, then we might have to worry about Garm, but if I pick up things like Monstrous Humanoids or Magical Beasts, then it seems we're in a more diverse city, and Garm might have an easier time. If she gets any readings quick trip to where this minds are, scouting through the Ethereal plane, would confirm.

Actually, could I roll a few knowledge checks to have an idea of what to expect from this city? Knowledge History or Local should fit, both are at +25. How big is it, how much diversity, how is it governed, any of that would be useful.

Knowledge History: [roll0]
Knowledge Local: [roll1]

industrious
2010-03-15, 09:53 PM
As the group peers into the overcast sky, it begins to drizzle. Grumbling in protest, the pedestrians walk slightly faster, but don't seem to cause any major fuss.

All humanoids. The capital, while metropolitan compared to most smaller cities, is not very diverse when compared to cities of equal size. This is due to the isolationist policies of the Ruling Council, whose politicking has given Baator many a soul in trade.

AmberVael
2010-03-16, 03:51 PM
Typhae

After allowing the others enough time to figure out what they're going to do, Typhae releases her wings and the invisibility they provide
"Lets all meet back here in a few hours, say around four or five. It might not be a pleasant area, but I don't think any of us have to really worry about protecting ourselves too much, and we already all know it.
"Sound good?"

shadowedsoul
2010-03-16, 05:49 PM
Perhaps we should split into teams instead. We might not trust each other, but as long as we have the same goal then there's no reason not to work together.

I'm not especially good at the gather information checks, but I'll aid another on Typhae's (or whoever's)-
[roll0] I think this is +6, but the myth-weavers server seems to be too busy to let me see it.

edit: Yeah my bonus is +6, so someone gets a +2 to their roll.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-16, 06:00 PM
Ryuuk hasn't suggested the illusion thing IC, so I'll roleplay for now. Fortunately, it will be suggested before we leave the alley.

"I will accompany whomever wishes it."

The archon arranges his hood to hide his face in shadow and pulls his cloak tightly around him. The cloak does not quite stretch all the way down, however, and snow white bear paws are clearly viasoble poking from underneath the garment. The humor of the situation is not lost on him, and he lets out a small snort.

"I suppose it must be decided on in advance: under what circumstance should I reveal myself?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-16, 07:48 PM
Serah

Serah tilts her head as she looks over the Gram’s ‘disguise’. “Hmm… No, it doesn’t quite suite you. Not a brave defender of the heavens, at least… People would be more afraid of you than me; we can’t have that, can we?” With a smile, she gets off the wall. Arms crossed and a hand on her chin, she takes a step towards the Archon. “Ah, I think I’ve thought of something better, hold still…”

A mass of color rises from Gram’s feet. With measured gestures, Serah begins to sculpt it. Hoofs, a white trimmed coat, a horse’s tail and head. Fur is replaced by heavy armor, though she stops for a brief moment when her eyes land on his crest. Regardless, she continues, now paying attention to the details.

“That should do it… What do you think?” Where the Gram once stood there is now a well built human rider on a heavy mount. His tabard has the same design as the archon’s armor and crest, and the horse is the same color as his fur was. His face, which stands at the level that Gram’s did, shares some of his grizzled features.

“You’ll have to stay close to me so I can control the illusion, but the image is about the same size as you are. The those who don't see through it should avoid you naturally. I guess that means we’re staying together.” She nods to herself contempt with her work. "As for when to break it... I guess whenever the wrath of the heavens is needed."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-16, 08:05 PM
Gram examines himself, looking closely at the hazey illusion and forcing himself to believe in its reality. The image suddenly swims into focus, and the archon in genuinely impressed in the way shw captured his essence in a completely different form.

"Bravo, child." He extends an arm in chivalrous courtesy. "After you, my lady."

Aid another on gather info: [roll0] (I'm on my phone, but I'll try to look up my modifier soon.)

AmberVael
2010-03-16, 09:22 PM
Typhae

"Hm, no, I think I'll work alone. See you later!"

Typhae waves and walks away at a decent clip, fully intending to leave the group behind as she goes out to start an information hunt. Of course, before she goes to find information, she needs to have a good place to find it...

With that in mind, Typhae begins using her various senses and skills to try and locate a relatively large group of people. Some sort of social gathering place, like a tavern, but maybe something more interesting. Typhae has nothing against taverns, of course, but she's more attracted to fascinating things, and taverns have rather lost their charm.

For the moment, with roam somewhat at random for a place of interest, though she'll use her 100ft mindsight to try and locate large groups of sentient beings.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-16, 09:29 PM
Gram, hearing Typhae's remarks, turns back to the man.

"Caleb, will you join us then?"

Two things: if you're not aiding Typhae, you can aid Serah. We can clearly see by my previous roll that I won't be of any help.

Secondly, we definitely need to find a bar. ;)

shadowedsoul
2010-03-16, 09:37 PM
Calebros grins at Gram's invitation.
Certainly sir knight.
He says with a mock bow.
Shall we be on our way then?

Transferring my aid another to Serah I suppose.

Finding a bar may need to wait until you're not disguised as a guy on a horse though.

Ryuuk
2010-03-17, 12:56 AM
Serah

Eyes closed, she takes a slight bow when praised. “’trix, perhaps you could follow Typhae, or us if you so wish. It may be best if you remained hidden though, unless you can become human.”

“…and I concur, we’ve got an appointment with a barber.”

Once outside the alley, Serah will walk ahead of the group, although she feigns a more modest attitude. She’ll try to find a way into a better part of town, and look for anyone who may seems likely to aid travelers or has a decent intelligence. Once she finds someone who fits these characteristics, she’ll approach rather timidly.

“Excuse me, sir… Sir! Please, we’re rather lost, if you could spare a few moments to guide our way... You see, we’re travelers; we’ve just arrived and my lord is looking for someone, if you could just point us in the right direction…” In her tale, she becomes a servant and Calebros turns into a squire to Gram’s knight errant. They’ve come to deliver a message to a Vincent Luixi, a man who they were told had some sort of link to the ruling council. Sometimes she assures them that her lord repay them, others she asks as a personal favor, while even in some cases, she tries to cal on pity, speaking of how her lord runs out of patience quickly. The effect is usually the same though, the Sewaneian usually feels compelled to aid in however way he can, or if he truly knows nothing, he’ll try to tell them where they might have better luck, a more knowledgeable friend or a place where such information is kept. There was just something about her smile, her eyes… They seemed to force them to act, whether they wanted to or not.

OOC:
Mindsight to find those who are smart, Detect Good to find those that mean well, Charm to befriend, Suggestion to put the right idea in their mind and Detect Thoughts to know just what will work best. Serah will be using all of these to play anyone who might seem useful in their search. She’ll try to stick to the streets, that way her ‘lord’ doesn’t have to dismount.

[roll0] Hours
Gather Information: [roll1], +27 normally, +20 for + Factotum Level, +2 Aid Another
Balam’s Reroll if Below 5
Gather Information: [roll2]

whoiam
2010-03-17, 05:16 AM
For her part, 'trix sticks with the larger group. Not exactly *with* them - she takes the first opportunity she can to climb onto a rooftop and lighten her pigmentation to a pale slate grey. If you're going to have to go roof to roof, you may as well blend into the sky...

industrious
2010-03-18, 11:09 AM
Team Beyond Good and Evil

Sifting through all the various people in the city took some time; many, while willing to help you, simply didn't know anything about Mr. Liuxi. However, one portly nobleman laughed at your query.

"Your lord is wasting his time, then. Liuxi is-was actually-the court barber. Then he got fired. He's nobody of importance now."

Typhae

Wandering the streets, the unique entity eventually finds her way to a church, where a wedding is being performed. A tall, sombre-looking man with salt and pepper hair is marrying someone who seems a good deal younger. Oddly enough, she's the one who looks happy at the occasion; he looks more bored than anything else.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-18, 11:40 AM
Gram flips a platinum piece to the man in gratitude.

"Thank you kindly."

The knight on his horse leans in closer over the bridle.

"Hrmn. Fired, you say? The poor man. Whatever for? And would you know how we could reach him now?"

industrious
2010-03-18, 01:41 PM
The man examines the coin for a moment, before putting it into a lavishly decorated purse.

"He nicked the king on the chin," the man says. "He's got his own little barber's shop somewhere in the commoner's areas. I wouldn't go there if I wanted to."

Barbarian MD
2010-03-18, 01:53 PM
SLA: Detect thoughts (I think it's a Will Save DC 16).

Gram flips another platinum piece to the man and leans back in the saddle.

"In truth, that is a shame. No professional should meet that fate.

"Where can we find this shop of his? Has he been on his own long?"

industrious
2010-03-18, 02:44 PM
Will Save:[roll0]

"Sorry, but I don't really know exactly where the man's shop is. He's near some street that begins with an F. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help to you, sir."

The man starts walking off, the coin flipping through his fingers as he does so. Somebody's had a very good day.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-18, 02:50 PM
The illusion nudges his horse forward, which begins to clop further down the street. The knight turns to the others and shrugs.

"Shall we search for the shop, then? Or do you have other ideas?"

Hmmm... I don't suppose you can Heighten an SLA somehow? It might almost be worth the cost of a feat for Gram's SLAs to actually be effective.

AmberVael
2010-03-21, 02:55 PM
Typhae

A wedding wasn't a very good area to socialize, at least, not during all the pomp and ceremony. Definitely not an area to find information, really.

On the other hand, Typhae did pause, her curiosity aroused at the contrast between the man's attitude and the woman's. Nervous, scared, excited, second thoughts and happiness... these were all things she expected. But the man didn't even seem to care. Why? The woman he was marrying didn't seem to share his lack of enthusiasm, which made it stranger.

Perhaps an arranged marriage? But then why would she be happy?

Typhae lingers, tilting her head as she examines the man and his wife more closely, as well as all the gathered parties. If need be, she'll coil her wings around herself and slide in invisibly.

Ryuuk
2010-03-24, 07:34 PM
Serah

"We're on the right track, we know he's still in the city." Serah had stepped back when Gram took the initiative. While watching the 'helpful' man go, she just focused on maintaining the illusion, while wondering just how right her hunch was. He seemed to have fallen into the role pretty naturally. It was likely, celestials came from mortals too. Hard to believe though, that a lowly mortal knight would eventually be able to do what she'd witnessed the wearer of the crest do so long ago.

Well not so much, she knew her own history perfectly. She may have shed her mortal coil in the gallows, but that would only be her 'humble beginnings'. "Lets try to find his current residence. A street that started with F..."

---

While walking through the streets in their search, "My Liege, I wonder, how long have you been a 'Guardian of my Heavens'? There's more curiosity than malice in her voice.

OOC:
If there are no other suggestions, I say keep looking, but for Vincent's shop now.

It might be useful if Gram has a feat to spare, but Serah's Detect Thoughts DC can pick up the slack.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-25, 08:15 AM
What feat would you suggest?

By the way, Gram was once a human level two paladin. He got skewered by a pack of kobolds in a dingy dungeon. No one notixed or cared about his death, except for his goddess. He accomplished nothing in his first incarnation. It's a tongue in cheek reference to a game whoiam is running that the dm an I are in.

So Gram got his signatuew crest when he became a Warden Archon.

Gram remains silent as they pass by a merchant hawking his wares. Once they are less likely to be overheard, he turns to her.

"I have been upon the Walls for just over 400 years. And a servant of the Heavens for 586."

He gives her a smile. "It will be 587 in three weeks. My re-birthday."

Ryuuk
2010-03-25, 08:52 PM
Serah

"Ah, I see why I'm a child in your eyes then. I'm almost half as old as you..." Looking through her illusion, she looks over the crest once again. "and 4 centuries... I'd have gotten rather bored in you place. I wonder, would you happen to remember an attack on the central wall some 8 decades ago? I believe it was lead by a bloated member of the Hezrou caste who found himself alone with his followers after his initial charge. Not that that was any deterrent for him, really."

Well, there's the Heighten Spell-Like Ability (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Heighten_Spell-like_Ability) feat from Complete Arcane, but it's limited uses for a +2 boost to DC.

And don't worry too much about the above, I've got 180ish years of crawling up the demonic hierarchy to to flesh out, why not have her stand on before the gates to celestia at least once :smallcool:

Barbarian MD
2010-03-25, 09:07 PM
"Indeed, yes. If I remember correctly, the Archangel Arderas took his head soon after for his imprudence. It is such a shame, even for one such as himself, that he should meet such an end. I prayed for him and buried him myself when that grim day was through...

"And you? When did you... How did you find yourself in your position?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-26, 07:18 AM
Serah

Serah keeps walking, staying silent for a while. "If I didn't know better, I would simply tell you that I was born into it. It wasn't that clean though. I know of my first life in the same way a reader knows a character from a novel. The memories aren't there, but I know that I got what I deserved... I was a monster that was only briefly able out to lash out against the world." She seems almost proud. Almost.

"As to where I am now though? Simple dedication. In a way, life is much clearer now. All of this," She waves her arm across the horizon, filled with its buildings and people. "boils down to one simple truth: You either serve or you order. You start as the servant and desperately look for ways to get to become the master. However, it took me a while to learn that every master is simply a servant to someone else and that every servant is playing the same game. There are very few true lords and even they must deal with each other."

"The Hezrou I mentioned? His only motivation behind the attack was to gain the favor of a lord in order to be elevated beyond his position. We that joined him did so because he currently stood above, there was no choice. At least, not one for the weak... Did you know it's easier to fight for an empty spot than for an occupied one...?" She smiles. "Half his forces fled once yours arrived. Those that didn't stayed because they either couldn't leave or they wanted to watch his end." She eyes meets Gram's gaze, then Calebros' "It was quite a show, I must admit. And Arderas... You will burn, a fitting name."

shadowedsoul
2010-03-26, 12:05 PM
Calebros simply listens to the exchange, filing away any information he learns about his new comrades for future use should it ever become handy. As they walk through the town he keeps his ears and eyes peeled, knowing how fallible supernatural detection methods can be.

So it took me so long to post, it's been a crazy week. Stuff's calmed down for the time being though.

anyway-
Spot-[roll0]
Listen-[roll1]
Also got blindsight out to 60 ft.

I don't really expect anything interesting to pop up, but Calebros is crazy paranoid, having been raised as a stealthy killer in hell and all.

industrious
2010-03-27, 03:50 PM
Nothing really interesting via Calebros.
Assuming another take 10 on a Gather Information Check.

Typhae

The wedding ceremony reaches a crecendo, as the cleric declares the couple to be wed. The blushing bride leans in for the traditional kiss...which, after an awkward few seconds, comes in the form of a stiff, passionless peck on the lips. The Astral entity had seen more passion from modrons. The crowd seems placated though; someone in the front row is sobbing quite loudly.

Shortly after that...calling it a kiss would be an insult...the formality of the occasion dissolves, and the newlyweds begin skipping(or deliberately walking, in the case of the man) back down the aisle.

Team Outsider

Making your way through the winding street, you eventually find yourself in a part of the city only slightly better than the alley you teleported into. In a small cobblestone square, where a man in extremely gaudy, low-quality clothing is hawking his talents as "the finest barber in the city".

AmberVael
2010-03-27, 04:22 PM
Typhae

Typhae slips among the guests as it all begins to break up and decides there is a simple way to get enough information to work off of from here to figure out what was going on... and if she decided it was worthless, maybe she could bluff her way into getting where she needs to go.

With that thought in mind, she reaches out and tries to more fully examine the thoughts of the people around her, quietly murmuring a few words and spreading her wings out over the heads of the gathered people to focus her power.

While still invisible, Typhae will cast Detect Thoughts from her Beguiler list, then concentrate on it. She's looking for information regarding the wedded couple, which probably shouldn't be too hard to pick out given the number of people and the focus of the occasion. DC 19.

industrious
2010-03-27, 04:31 PM
Typhae

The wedding couple brushes past you; they apparently didn't notice your presence.

The assembly's thoughts vary widely, but several of them do stick out. Sifting through the more...shallow thoughts on the couple's appearance, you find several key pieces of information.

She's certainly married up. The man used to work in the palace, after all.

Why's he so wooden? You'd think he'd be more passion-filled on his wedding day. Maybe those rumors are true, after all...

I give it three months. He's always got pretty women-men as well-going in and out of his shop, and I never see them leave-at least through the front.

Vincent, you dog. She was going to be mine.

AmberVael
2010-03-27, 04:38 PM
Typhae

Vincent. Worked in the palace. Owns a shop.

Typhae compares the man with the image she saw, made by those two strange entities and Sara. There were far too many similarities for this to be coincidence. At least, so Typhae thinks- she's rather used to being in the center of things, whether purposefully or not. What rumors though? That might be an interesting thread to pick up on.

That last thought really perks her interest though. Someone didn't like this man at all...

There was an interesting story here, Typhae is sure of it. Very interesting story indeed. She tries to pick out who exactly made those three different comments, particularly the second and the last, and will move along with the assembly wherever they go next, though she might choose to head after the bride and groom if she senses them going too far.

I believe that as long as I have line of sight, I can pick out whoever I'm hearing specific thoughts from. Also, with Mindsight, Typhae is going to try and keep track of the newlyweds, and see if they go too far away.

industrious
2010-03-27, 04:47 PM
Typhae

The man is an almost exact match for Liuxi's image. The only real difference was that the Being's depictions gave him an expression; it was surprising how large of a difference that made. Well, that and the streak of gray the barber now had running through his hair.

The various thinkers are mingling with the other wedding guests, putting on cheerful expressions, even as some of them seethe inwardly. The jealous man in particular seems to be acting quite jocularly. A tad taller than Vincent, he also seems to be a few years older, if his entirely gray head is to be counted on. He also has a prominent hawk-like nose, and as he smiles in others' company, his eyes remain cold and fierce.

The married couple, whose thoughts Typhae hasn't been able to hear, move out of her range, vanishing from her Mindsight.

Ryuuk
2010-03-27, 06:39 PM
Serah

<You know, if this guy can really make such a big mess of things, he's hiding it pretty well. Give me a minute.> Serah takes a few steps from her party, trying to get a good reading off the gaudy barber.

Check his Int and type through Mindsight, see if there's anything special about him.

She approaches the merchant with a modest step, taking her role as a knight's speaker to heart. "Excuse me, sir. Could you spare a moment to help us out? We're looking for a man who, we're told, has a shop around here. My liege..." She subtly nods over to the mounted knight. "Would like to have a word with him. Would you happen to know of a Vincent Liuxi?"

Diplomacy is at +47, Bluff at +41. She'll take 10 if needed.

industrious
2010-03-28, 10:22 AM
Team Good, Bad, and Alien

Mindsight:Type: Humanoid. Int score: 10

"Vincent Liuxi!" the man exclaims, with much waving and flourishing of his cape. "Thata no good dirty leetle barber! He no nearly as good the man as I! If your man trying to get a refund from his poor service, then he be on Flit Strit. Otherwise, know that Pereleli is the best in town!"

AmberVael
2010-03-28, 07:05 PM
Typhae

Typhae had been hoping to wait around, gather some more information, but... well, better to keep up with the target. Maybe?

Well, there was a chance the two were going to a reception or something along those lines, at which point she could quietly interrogate the guests. She focuses on each of the people who she heard the thoughts from, making sure she gets relatively close to them, then heads after Liuxi before he gets completely out of range.

She makes sure she gets within 30ft of each of the people she saw and heard interesting thoughts from, examining them up close for the purposes of using Locate Creature later, then will go invisibly after Luixi.

Ryuuk
2010-03-29, 12:10 PM
Serah

"Oh, no, don't worry. After what we've heard of him, the last thing my liege would do would be to let him cut his hair. There are simply a few issues that he wishes to discuss with Mr. Liuxi." She gives him a smile and a bow. "Thanks you, you've been most helpful."

She heads back to the group. "...and now we have the street... Lets get going before that fool tries to get at your head Gram"

shadowedsoul
2010-03-29, 01:12 PM
Calebros

Calebros smiles as Serah returns to the group.
<Maybe we should let him take a crack at it, I think the bear would look most dashing with a trim, especially around the ears>
He projects to all 3 of his compatriots.

industrious
2010-03-29, 03:38 PM
Typhae

The thoughts turn more disapproving of the couple as Typhae continues listening in.

Going back to work? On his wedding day? Shameful.

She isn't good enough for him. Hell isn't good enough for him.

The man is so cheap to not hold a reception for us. Typical.

Following after the couple, Typhae steadily heads to a section of the city that can only be described as a slum.

Everybody

Meeting up with each other, you see a battered sign, hastily repainted as "Liuxi's Tonsolorium," swinging in front of one of the nicer buildings on the street. It's dirty and colorless and ugly, but it doesn't look in danger of falling down anytime soon.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 12:33 PM
"I am not sure I would fit inside. Would someone like to duck in and see what can be seen?"

AmberVael
2010-03-30, 01:27 PM
Typhae

Typhae continues to follow stealthily, not wanting the man and his wife to get out of her sight. The more she thinks, the more she really can't comprehend what was going on here.

Unless...

It was possible that he was entirely in control. If he was really a man capable of destroying the planes, then controlling someone's mind should be simple. And she couldn't sense either of them. Or maybe she didn't exist at all, merely a figment created by him or something similar. The scenario seemed rather far fetched, but something along those lines was all she could think of. He merely went through it all for appearances, controlling her for... something. Hmm.

She continues to follow along stealthily, now focusing her sight to try and detect magical auras. Maybe she could see if there was some magic around the two.

Warlock Detect Magic.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-30, 01:41 PM
Calebros

"I am not sure I would fit inside. Would someone like to duck in and see what can be seen?"

That'd be your cue sweet cheeks.
Calebros remarks wryly to Serah.
Though if you're too worried about it I can always slip in and stick to the shadows. Probably won't find much out without causing a ruckus that way though.

industrious
2010-03-30, 02:08 PM
Everybody

As Typhae casts a quick detect magic, she notices nothing magical about the pair. However, the succubus, knight-errant, and tall man with her radiate the stuff.

AmberVael
2010-03-30, 02:15 PM
((Doh. I can't believe I missed joining up with the others. >.<))

Typhae

<Having fun?>
Typhae asks the others telepathically, a grin on her face.
<It's a happy occasion, so you should be. Mr. Luixi wouldn't want you unhappy on his wedding day.>

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 02:29 PM
((Don't feel bad Vael, I didn't realize we had met up, either.))

Gram is somewhat surprised to hear Typhae in his head, and even more at the coincidental timing. Examining the crowded street, he tries to identify this Liuxi.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 03:09 PM
Gram mutters under his breath, not quite sure yet what to do with the telepathy.

What now is our course of action? Try to talk to him, or merely watch him? And if we talk to him, what do we say? 'Mr. Liuxi, we were informed you know something about the imminent destruction of the multiverse, would you kindly tell us if your are behind it so we can kill you?'

((A joke from the Warden? Unthinkable!))

whoiam
2010-03-30, 04:00 PM
"We remember a tradition" The first sound 'trix had made in half a city came down from her current rooftop, "that the humans have. When trying to interrogate someone. One kind, helpful interrogator. One... not so nice. Perhaps we should try it? 'Answer these questions and the insect and the bear will not eat you'... Certainly, we know of many who would rather implicate another than face death. Most, in fact. Worth an attempt?"

industrious
2010-03-30, 04:12 PM
As you debate amongst yourselves, a shabbily-dressed man with a coarse set of whiskers (who Typhae does not recognize) bumps into Calebros("Terribly sorry, sirs"), and smoothly ascends the stairs to Liuxi's establishment.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 04:39 PM
"My concern is this: if he plans on destroying the multiverse, is it wise to tip our hands?"

Gram opens his second sight, taking the measure of those around him.

I would like to know the alignment and strength of aura of Liuxi, the man who just bumped Calebros, the bride, and anyone else who seems to have a particularly strong aura.

whoiam
2010-03-30, 04:51 PM
"We do not think it is him. Consider: Were he alone capable of such an act, would a group such as us have been charged with this task? We would be so hopelessly outmatched as to make our participation meaningless. No, his danger lies in a group, maybe small, maybe large - but something that can be investigated or infiltrated, something that can be dismembered, piece by manageable piece. He is the first, not the whole."

And we really, REALLY hope we are right about that...

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 05:02 PM
"Perhaps.

"And on the other hand, it might be that we must protect him from others who would silence him."

Suspicion suddenly fills Gram. That man that just entered, or someone on the street, or anyone else for that matter, could easily silence their only lead in this madness.

"We need to get him off the streets, alone and safe. We can deal with the details of his involvement afterwards. Serah, could you enclose Liuxi within your illusion, to hide him? Or Typhae, could you teleport him against his will, perhaps if he were unconscious?"

Gram begins making his way towards the couple, intent on shielding them from potential attackers with his bulk and getting the man out of here.

shadowedsoul
2010-03-30, 05:30 PM
Calebros

If we're going to be leaving anyway then just grab him and fly away, I'm guessing the guard in a city like this wouldn't really be able to stop us. Once we get out of town we can...discuss the matter with him on our terms.

spot check on the off chance that the guy who bumped into me tried to rob me or put something on me-[roll0]

Calebros' hand darts out and grips the man's arm before he moves away.
Watch where you're going old fool.

AmberVael
2010-03-30, 05:32 PM
Typhae

<I could. But I think there's more to him than it appears.>
Typhae says.
<I don't know what, but something seems weird about him to me. I'm not sure just straight up going after him is the best idea.>

Ryuuk
2010-03-30, 05:34 PM
Serah

Sweet cheeks... Looking over the establishment from a distance, Serah's aze turns to Calebros momentarily. "Go ahead, you'd finally start pulling your weight."

---

<Try talking to idiots for hours, you'll see it can be rather thrilling... Nice timing.> She'll make sure to ask her how she did it when they have the time.

She follows the discussion and watches Garm set off. <Say you've been tasked with safeguarding all life, and that you have reason to believe his might be in danger. Perhaps you're the only one of use that he'll believe that from, and its true, really. You know what my first idea was...> Kidnapping him, well, he hadn't phrased it like that, but its what it came down to. She maintains the illusion until Gram tries something that a mounted knight simply cannot do. <I can put it over him just as I did it on you, but I can only keep one at a time. Tell me when you want me to drop it.> She follows some distance behind her liege.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-30, 07:58 PM
Gram continues walking, past the couple. He finally tries to use the telepathic link:

<What would you suggest then?>

AmberVael
2010-03-30, 08:04 PM
Typhae

<A bit of investigation. Isn't that what we came for in the first place? We've found him, and his shop. I was there at his wedding- or part of it- and heard a lot of interesting things. We could follow up with some of the people there...>

Typhae suggests.

<Though going after him now is the more straightforward method. I'm probably just making it too complicated.>

industrious
2010-03-30, 08:14 PM
The man shrieks as Calebros's arm lands on him. "Sorry, good sir! I am merely attempting to go to the barber's! Please let me go..." He hasn't planted anything on you, nor do you notice anything missing.

Gram:

In addition to the auras of your fellow party members, the man Calebros is holding emits a faint aura of law. Liuxi and his bride are inside; past the range of your second sight.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-31, 06:40 AM
It's not an active process; I just like to describe everything with fluff. The moment they came within range Gram would know their alignment.

The law guy: was he good, neutral, or evil?

Edit: or are you saying that he went inside before we got here?

industrious
2010-03-31, 07:21 AM
Ah. Sorry. Liuxi and his new wife entered his shop before you arrived. And the man didn't emit either good or evil.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-31, 07:37 AM
((Ah, okay. Tht negates most of what Gram said, then.))

((Rewind to talk of Calebros scouting))
"Caleb, it is all yours."

Gram moves across the street, out of the way but close enough to respond to any developments.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-01, 04:04 AM
Calebros

Calebros nods to Gram and turns.
Let's see what we can find then.
He says, waiting until no one other than the group is in the immediate vicinity before disappearing and moving toward the building.

Spot Check (As requested)-[roll0]
Listen Check (For good measure)-[roll1]
Hide Check-[roll2]
Move Silently-[roll3]

Active effects and other goodies-
Darkstalker
Assassin's Stance
Blindsight 60 ft.
Mind Blank
Nondetection (Caster Level DC 35)
Tongues
Shadow Form
See in Darkness
Assassin's Shadow Step (Spending a swift action each round to maintain)
Spell Resistance 27
I can list energy immunities and the like if you want, but I don't think they're really relevant right now.

If crap gets hairy Calebros is fully prepared to teleport back into the midst of the group.

industrious
2010-04-01, 02:22 PM
Moving across the street, Calebros is about to enter the barber's shop when he notices two rather...upsetting things. The first is that the door to the shop is closed. The second is that the door has a bell atop its frame. He can hear Liuxi humming as the man's razor rasps across his clients face.

AmberVael
2010-04-02, 09:42 AM
Typhae

While waiting on Calebros, Typhae elaborates on what she found to the others.
<I happened across Luixi's wedding while we were split up. It was a very atypical wedding- he didn't really seem to care about it at all, but his new wife did. I noticed an number of people who seemed to know rumors about him, but I didn't pick up much specifically. One guy seemed to think the girl Luixi married was stolen from him though.>

shadowedsoul
2010-04-02, 04:26 PM
Calebros

<Someone who can look like a mortal should come and open the door so I can slip in, though from what I can see so far there doesn't seem to be a huge amount to be gleaned from skulking in the corner.>
Calebros projects to the group.

whoiam
2010-04-03, 04:03 PM
<We think that means someone with fewer appendages. Perhaps also with a softer voice.

...We think we may as well take a nap up here. Wake us when we get to do something not in direct sight of the public.>

Ryuuk
2010-04-04, 08:13 PM
Serah

Serah closes her eyes and looks down. Right... They'll be of use eventually... Eventually... After renewing the image, Serah heads towards the door. <Be quick about it> She pays special attention to her mind's eye. Meeting Luixi's gaze would tell her a lot about his possible involvement. Was he hiding himself like Calebros? Was he smart enough to know what he was doing? She falls back into her role.

The bell rings as Serah steps through the door, she two steps in before she realizes that the barber is busy at the moment. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize... Mr. Liuxi?" She waits for an answer, or at least for it be clear that she should leave the man to his work. She continues, rather embarrassed. "My Liege will like an appointment with you, it isn't urgent though, he can wait until you are able to tend to him. Would an hour be enou...? We'll be back in an hour." She takes a quick, embarrassed bow. "Thank you, sorry for the intrusion." Sheepishly, she makes her way out.

In contrast to the coy persona she presented, the voice projected into Calebros head is rather... demanding. <There, now bring back something good.>

AmberVael
2010-04-04, 08:27 PM
Typhae

<If this is going to take a while, maybe we could follow up on some of the leads I found? I could track down the people who knew things about him pretty easily...>
Typhae suggests.
<Or will it not take long, Caleb?>

industrious
2010-04-04, 08:39 PM
Liuxi's current client leaves less than a minute after Serah. As he passes them by, he passes a message to her.

"E's free now. And does a good job, he does. Not many people want to go to 'im, though. Feel e'll be too expensive."

Exit Liuxi himself, straight razor still rimmed with suds.

"Hello, my Lord. Can I offer you a shave? A haircut?"

shadowedsoul
2010-04-04, 08:43 PM
Calebros

As soon as the door opens Calebros slips into the building and skulks in the corner until Liuxi steps out himself, then he begins a quick search of the room to see if anything noticeworthy turns up.

Ryuuk
2010-04-06, 05:02 PM
Serah

He didn't seem too threatening, smart for a human, but nothing special. I wonder, it would make everything so much easier...

"Well, yes there is something..." She turns to him and meets his gaze. For the briefest second, her eyes become something more. Inviting, trustworthy. Only for an instant... They speak to something deep within. "We'll go inside in a moment, my liege just needs to dismount..." She gives him a smile.

She'll use Charm Monster, using Cunning Breach in the off chance he has some sort of spell resistance.

DC 28 Will Save vs Charm for Liuxi

industrious
2010-04-06, 06:30 PM
Outside

Liuxi nods his head. "Take your time." He's still waiting outside, though.

Inside

Calebros's search doesn't uncover anything especially interesting; the single room is almost entirely bare. The only thing that might be of interest is a faded bloodstain by the chair.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-07, 10:40 AM
Calebros

<There's not a whole lot to be found, it looks like maybe someone bled out in here. Maybe the barber's got a secret or two after all. I say we just snatch and interrogate him, I'm sure we can make sure he survives if him living is important to maintaining the wheel.>
Calebros projects out to the group.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-09, 05:44 PM
Gram finally speaks: "I shall only be a moment, Master Liuxi. If you will allow me a moment, I shall secure my mount."

He guides his mount around the corner, "dismounts", and then returns, striding along with an air of confident arrogance into the shop.

"Now, Master, if you would be so kind, my servant will proceed me." He gestures for Serah to sit in the barber's chair.

Ryuuk
2010-04-09, 06:23 PM
Serah

Serah takes note. Few humans had ever simply ignored her. Perhaps there was something to him after all. She answers Calebros <Lets play with him for a bit. He's in his element, with no reason to fear us. He might let something slip.>

She has the knight follow Gram's movements, leaving the horse off in the distance while the man returns alone. At Grams call, she's caught somewhat off guard, but works her surprise into her role. She answers in the coy and sheepish voice. "Oh, um of course, my lord..." She steps forward, giving Liuxi a nervous nod before walking inside and slowly taking a seat.

She projects to 'trix, Calebros and Typhae her usual mocking tone <He let put my head within reach of Liuxi's knives before his own... There may be hope for him yet.>.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-09, 06:49 PM
Calebros

<Whatever you say, sweet cheeks.>
Calebros projects to Serah as he moves back over to the corner to avoid being tripped over.
<Have you learned anything yet? I don't really want to be taking a swing at a golem without some kind of heads up.>

How big is the room?

Calebros is going to ready an action to 'port'n'smack(patent pending) should the situation go south.

industrious
2010-04-09, 08:24 PM
The barber sketches a quick bow, and wipes his straight razor clean on a white cloth hanging from his belt. "As you wish, milord."

Throwing the traditional white sheet over the succubus, Liuxi quickly and efficiently ties it loosely around her neck. Walking to a nearby cabinet, he slides open several drawers; everybody other than Serah can see an impressive assortment of scissors, knives, razors, and other miscellaneous items a truly versatile barber required.

"Is there any particular style the charming lady would like to request?"

Barbarian MD
2010-04-10, 10:41 AM
Gram leans back against a wall as Serah sits down, crossing his arms and doing his best to appear arrogant and relaxed.

"Master Liuxi, I looked for you at the palace, but I was directed here. Please believe me when I say I was so sorry to hear about your loss. I had heard your reputation as a barber, and I am glad that you have established yourself well here. I would, of course, only trust my hair to the best, you see.

Tell me, how long have you been at this location, my good man?"

Ryuuk
2010-04-10, 06:22 PM
Serah

"Oh, hmm..." She gives the barber a smile. "I like it long, but the road takes it's toll. Could you fix the split ends while keeping most of it...? I, I'd like to keep it at least at shoulder length." Her gaze wanders before landing on Gram and blurting hastily adding, "I'm open to new things though, please don't limit yourself"

<He didn't notice my enchantment... or perhaps he did if, that was more than a complement from his part... regardless, it didn't phase him. He either has a very strong will or some sort of protection...>

industrious
2010-04-10, 07:24 PM
"But of course; as the lady wishes." The barber stretches the strop from its hook on the chair, and begins to sharpen his razor on the red leather. The scrape of the steel has an oddly soothing, rhythmic quality.

"To be honest, my employment at the court was more luck than skill. While I am a fine barber, such appointments rely far more on political maneuvering than on dexterity. I was merely at the right place at the right time; a count who desperately needed a quick shave before a public appearance found my little establishment to be the nearest he could find."

His razor now honed to a fine edge, he examines the single edge, and blows an undetectable amount of dust from the blade.

"And I am not so readily established here; the neighborhood is vile, my store requires heavy locks to prevent robbery, and there hasn't been a man of means willing to come in since I was fired almost six months ago."

Serah feels a slight pinch as a single lock of her hair is pulled, and Liuxi drops it onto the blade to test it. Two shorter hairs drift to the ground. Nodding in approval, the razor is now fully engaged and locked.

"It is not a confusing matter as to why they do not appear, of course. And it is confusing in the least to deduce what a sucubus is doing in my chair."

One hand holds Serah's forehead as the razor smoothly slides across her neck.

Surprise Round:
((deleted attack roll due to wrong modifiers. Actual roll in OOC thread.))
Weapon Damage: [roll1],
Constitution Damage:[roll2] Fort Save DC 25 for half

Roll Initiative in the OOC thread: [roll3]

shadowedsoul
2010-04-10, 09:24 PM
Calebros

Seeing Liuxi draw the blade across the demon's throat Calebros suppresses a smile.
She's my ally for the moment, I really shouldn't be taking such glee in this.
He thinks as he blinks over to the barber, unleashing blow after blow with his hands and feet.

Main Hand:
Attack 1-[roll0]
Damage 1-[roll1]+Sneak Attack-[roll2]

Attack 2-[roll3]
Damage 2-[roll4]+Sneak Attack-[roll5]

Attack 3-[roll6]
Damage 3-[roll7]+Sneak Attack-[roll8]

Attack 4-[roll9]
Damage 4-[roll10]+Sneak Attack-[roll11]

Off Hand:
Attack 1-[roll12]
Damage 1-[roll13]+Sneak Attack-[roll14]

Attack 2-[roll15]
Damage 2-[roll16]+Sneak Attack-[roll17]

Attack 3-[roll18]
Damage 3-[roll19]+Sneak Attack-[roll20]

All damage is subdual damage unless it doesn't seem to be affecting him, in which case all attacks after the first attack that hits but doesn't do any damage will be regular lethal damage.

<Diplomacy has failed, get your asses in here.>
He projects to the group after the last of his kicks has lashed out.

industrious
2010-04-10, 10:29 PM
As the unseen blows rain down upon the man, he staggers back, but does not collapse. He even manages to catch some of Calebros's attacks on his razor, the thing somehow placed at the precise angle to disrupt an blow, a recovery, a breath.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-11, 12:06 PM
Calebros

Still up huh? This guy's tougher than he looks.
Calebros thinks as the man's razor seems to keep some of his blows at bay.
Guess I'll need to step the game up.
He smiles as his body begins to act almost without his thought, the reflexes he'd practiced so hard to develop paying off.

Swift Action-Maintain Assassin Shadow's Step
Standard Action-Five Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike
Move Action-Shadow Stride+Smoke Strike

Five Shadow Creeping Ice Enervation Strike:
Attack-[roll0]
Damage-[roll1]+[roll2]+Sneak Attack-[roll3]
Where the shadow spreads-[roll4]
Ability Damage-[roll5]
He'll need to make a DC 31 Fort save to negate the special effect of the spreading shadow and halve the ability damage.

Main Hand Attacks:
Attack 1-[roll6]
Damage 1-[roll7]+Sneak Attack-[roll8]

Attack 2-[roll9]
Damage 2-[roll10]+Sneak Attack-[roll11]

Attack 3-[roll12]
Damage 3-[roll13]+Sneak Attack-[roll14]

Attack 4-[roll15]
Damage 4-[roll16]+Sneak Attack-[roll17]

Off Hand Attacks:
Attack 1-[roll18]
Damage 1-[roll19]+Sneak Attack-[roll20]

Attack 2-[roll21]
Damage 2-[roll22]+Sneak Attack-[roll23]

Attack 3-[roll24]
Damage 3-[roll25]+Sneak Attack-[roll26]

Assuming the subdual damage last round worked fine all of this is subdual damage again (except the ability damage obviously).

industrious
2010-04-11, 04:04 PM
Once more, the razor dips and weaves with surgical precision, seeking out and intercepting some of Calebros's attacks.

Using Wall of Blades combined with Combat Technician(Operation).
Heal Check: [roll0]
Fortitude Save: [roll1]

Unfortunately for the barber, his reflexes are not quite quick enough to counter all of the assassin's blows, and by the time the devil pauses for breath, Liuxi is unconscious.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-11, 04:09 PM
Gram rushes to Serah, intent on checking her injuries.

"Someone strip him of weapons and equipment. We need to teleport out of here, now."

EDIT:
While examining Serah's neck, he has an idea. "Caleb, I saw the way you drained his strength. Can you continue to do so while he's unconscious until he's paralyzed?"

EDIT2:
When he sees the Serah's injuries aren't immediately life threatening, he tries to get her attention. Serah, listen to me. You need to blot out every person in this room with your illusion. Make it so no one can see any of us. Do you here me? Do it now.

Ryuuk
2010-04-11, 04:58 PM
Serah

"Ghaaagh!" Serah writhes under Liuxi's grip, her hands rushing at the gash. Once the barber is busy trying to fight off the invisible, Serah sits up, her hands clutching her throat.

As the sound of steel bouncing off flesh and bones in a lightning quick succession goes off behind her, she rips off the white sheet with clawed hands and throws it aside. She's only beginning to turn around when Liuxi's body hits the floor.

"Gram... Shut Up" There's no playful mocking, no sheepish acting. Serah gives him a look that could kill if given the chance... no... if given an excuse. This is the only warning, her tone makes this very clear. She closes her eyes and looks down, siting very still for a moment. Slowly, she rises a hand covered in her own blood and snaps her fingers. Suddenly, the room is empty, everything is in its place. At least until those inside it disbelieve the illusion.

Slowly she stands up and turns to stare at Liuxi. "You want him paralyzed Archon?" She looks over the barbers knives and picks up a clean razor. "Give me a minute with him..."

shadowedsoul
2010-04-11, 05:07 PM
Calebros

Calebros begins stripping the gear off the barber almost before Gram gets the words out of his mouth.
I can, this might be faster though.
He answers, letting his invisibility fade.

Putting whatever I take off Liuxi into the haversack (making sure nothing pointy is pressing into the edge obviously). Then switching to Angel's Edge Stance and delivering a paralyzing death attack (he'll stay unconscious and remain paralyzed for 1d3 hours). DC 32 Fort Save to resist, but I'll just keep repeating until it succeeds.

After it succeeds he'll switch back to Assassin's Stance.

After the paralysis takes effect Calebros pulls some rope out of his pack and ties up Liuxi.
As long as we're here someone might as well go through the drawers, it's pretty unlikely that we'll be coming back here.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-11, 05:09 PM
In a flash, Gram's own blade dances in between her grip and flips the knife casually away.

"Serah, no. I know he hurt you, and I am sorry for that. I wish I had never told you to sit in that chair, and I promise you such will never happen again. He is a foul beast of a man, and he will pay for his crimes.

"But we need to know what is going on, and we need him alive.

"Now, let's get that wound washed and bandaged while the others take care of details."

Ryuuk
2010-04-11, 05:45 PM
Serah

As the razor flies from her hand, she stands perfectly still. She doesn't turn her head to meet Gram or even to see where he knife landed. She slowly closes her hand, her gaze still on the barber. She takes a deep breath, her left hand still at her throat. After a moment's silence, she finally speaks up, a bit of her old voice returning. "He tried to slay a demon that walked into his shop, most would call him a hero."

"Don't flatter yourself, I'm the only one that could have looked human anyway... We underestimated him, that is all. I would have kept him alive though, no one gets that close to me to without regretting it, a quick death would have been too good for him..." She crouches down and slowly takes the razor he used on her from his hands. She stands up and puts it away for Garm to see. "I'm a bit of a poet though, when I repay him I'll do with his own razor."

industrious
2010-04-11, 07:54 PM
Going through the array of the man's tools, the group find little of real value. While the tools are finely crafted, and some of the highest quality of worksmanship, none of the assorted razors, scissors, bristle brushes, and the like carry any magic with them.

The razor that Liuxi used against Serah, though...Gram couldn't identify its power. That it was powerful, amazingly so, he could tell, but nothing more.

The strop swings slightly on its strap as the bell above the door opens.

"Sweetie, Gabby's here...oh. Um, sorry. Is my husband in?"

AmberVael
2010-04-11, 08:18 PM
Typhae

Typhae mostly remains silent, weighing the situation as she enters with the rest, but when the wife comes, her eyes widen a bit, and she swiftly contacts the others.
<I couldn't read her mind either. Maybe it was a fluke, but something seemed up about the entire situation- it's all too possible she's just as dangerous as he is, if not more.
<We should get out of this situation as soon as possible.>

With a small, hidden but precise hand gesture, she invokes one of her mudras, then smiles sweetly at the woman who calls herself Luixi's wife, edging in between her and where Luixi's unconscious form is hidden by illusion.

"I'm sorry, he stepped out for a moment to get something- I couldn't really make out what it was that he said, but he needed it before he could get to us."
She looks back at Gram and Serah.
"I'm not sure we have time to wait though... we could go to that other place we heard about, it's probably open."

Her words and manner seem so precise, so accurate and believable, that even the others might be caught in for just a second before reality hits them.

<If I move the body now, it'll be obvious that I did something strange. If someone else could remove it, then I can negotiate our way out of here.>

Typhae casts Glibness, then uses Bluff on Luixi's wife.

Bluff: [roll0]

industrious
2010-04-11, 08:44 PM
Sense Motive:[roll0]

"Oh. Okay. Well, if you see him, tell him I love him! We just got married!" She giggles, waves goodbye, and exits. Everybody breathes a collective sigh of relief.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-11, 08:51 PM
Calebros

Calebros walks over to the door and locks it as soon as she leaves.
Let's get this over with.
He says moving back over towards where Liuxi is lying on the ground.
Who's going to carry him? And where are we going? I'd like a little privacy for our little chat.
He says, finally taking note of the swinging strop in his peripheral vision. He takes it and places it into his Haversack.
<You might want to patch yourself up sweet cheeks, that little trick he used you has a nasty side effect.>
He projects to Serah as everyone is finishing up.

Calebros can't fail the identify check to determine what maneuver was used, and now Serah doesn't need to wait until she gets hurt again to heal herself. Hoorah!

Ryuuk
2010-04-11, 09:20 PM
Serah

Her left hand hadn't left her throat since the gash, but she had to admit that she was feeling rather lightheaded. She hadn't dealt with it yet mostly to spite Garm, but perhaps this was a bit more serious than pride and the apparent chain of command. <You know of this...? Hmm, I guess you would, having paralyzed him like that. You'll have to tell us what you are eventually you know...> Once the coast is clear (although she gets a good look at Gabby, it might be useful later...), she closes her eyes and her hand glows with a warm light that closes the wound. All that was left was the clean up, and letting her body recover the blood loss.

"Well, having no better ideas, perhaps the island we left a few hours ago? There should be plenty of privacy there."

AmberVael
2010-04-11, 10:12 PM
Typhae

<Well, it's possible that someone could detect what happened at the island, and if we led them there... or took them there, as the case may be, then the whole game could be up.
<I mean, I'm all for blazing ahead, but we already underestimated Luixi once.>

Typhae points out.

<How about I take us somewhere random? I've got a few places we could go to- taverns, out of the way resting spots...>

shadowedsoul
2010-04-11, 10:27 PM
Calebros

<What I am? Why, I'm nothing more than a warrior my dear, incredibly skilled as I may be.>
Calebros replies to Serah.
<Random? Or just somewhere no one but you knows? I'm not sure I like the idea of the teleporter not knowing where we're gonna end up. Especially with a mortal in tow, they're very fragile after all.>
He projects to the group at large.

AmberVael
2010-04-11, 10:38 PM
Typhae

<Destinations are overrated. But I meant random as in unrelated to our goals and anything else that might be connected to us, really.>

shadowedsoul
2010-04-12, 09:27 AM
Calebros

<Ah, well then that works for me. Do you have any caves on your list? I find naked, paralyzed, weakened, tied up mortals are less likely to even attempt to escape when they can't see.>

Barbarian MD
2010-04-12, 10:56 AM
Gram

"I will remain here until you are all safely away. Typhae, once you have dropped them off, come back to pick me up in the alley we arrived in.

"If for some reason our barber manages to evade your teleport, I'll carry him to the alley, all of you can come back, and we'll make our escape by more conventional means.

Ryuuk
2010-04-12, 03:26 PM
Serah

<Right, of course...>

While the others are talking, Serah goes to pick up the mostly white sheet she'd tossed aside and uses it to clean her hands and neck. After a moments thought, she puts it away in her haversack. If Liuxi was part of something bigger, odds are this place was going to get cleaned up. Best not to leave part of her laying behind.

"Whenever you're ready then, Typhae..."

AmberVael
2010-04-12, 10:32 PM
Typhae

Typhae's wings stretch out once more, touching each person as she tries to whisk them all away to an isolated location where they can recuperate and reorganize. Also, probably interrogate Luixi.

Technically, only Willing creatures come along on teleport... so I'm rather unsure how to handle this.
Given that he's unconscious, I figure it works like a (Harmless) saving throw if you want to give him one. The DC would be 34.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-13, 12:10 PM
Gram

Gram watches as they go, curious to see if Liuxi will go with them or not.

He then closes his eyes, and when he opens them, the world as it truly stands is visible to him [true seeing]. He wasn't born yesterday, and he wants to ensure that Liuxi hasn't pulled a fast one on them.

Finally (assuming Liuxi isn't there), he brushes his hand against his sword, sending a surge of power into it, unlocks the (back) door, and flies straight upward, landing in the alley they first arrived in.

If Liuxi didn't teleport:Gram throws him over his shoulder and does the exact same thing, but punches him (nonlethal) in the face before they go, to ensure he doesn't wake up in transit.

industrious
2010-04-13, 02:06 PM
Gram

The barber's shop remains bare; the old wood and tin non-magical, and looking closer to collapse every moment. The alley seems an improvement after the shop interior.

Everybody Else

Typhae's teleportation finds the group in a spacious cavern, covered in rock dust and crumbled stone. The only light comes from a small crack in the cave's wall; any real openings cannot be seen. Liuxi, now naked and hog-tied, lies upon the rough floor.

AmberVael
2010-04-13, 02:09 PM
Typhae

Seeing that Luixi is still with them, she swiftly shifts back to the barber shop, touches Gram on the shoulder, then teleports him over to the others.

That taken care of, she sits on the cave floor for a moment's rest.

whoiam
2010-04-13, 02:14 PM
'trix

A moment was spent sniffing at their captor, before the Tyranid announced "We can restore this man to consciousness when needed. Please tell us when you wish it to be so."

Pretty sure 'Psionic Restoration' will get rid of the paralysation, and any variant of psionic healing will get rid of enough of the non-lethal damage to bring him round. Saves us having to wait 1d3 hours at any rate.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-13, 02:25 PM
"Not just yet, friend. We don't want him unparalyzed, and it would be good to take stock, examine him and his implemets, and plan for the encounter.

"Someone bring me his blade. And someone with smaller hands than I needs to thoroughly search him."

Anyone have any way of telling if he's a caster? Gram turns his True Seeing on Liuxi and his items (and he's probably going to find the strop at some point. He's also going to identify the blade. Level check: [roll0] to beat 10 + caster level. That will take 10 minutes.

Edit: dang it. Anyone remember the rules about trying again on the swordsage's sense magic ability? I'm away from my book at the momet.

So how do we conduct interrogation? I vote that he remains paralyzed. Gram can hit him with discern lies until he rolls a natural one. Who wants to handle the interrogation? And did I hear someone mention torture?

Barbarian MD
2010-04-13, 03:31 PM
"Typhae, I have a request for you. Until we have dealt with Liuxi, I'd like for you to stay with him. If something happens and we are attacked, can you teleport him away? Perhaps to the island we first met at?"

Translation: ready an action to teleport him if we are attacked. Keep it ready at all times.

why yes, I am incredibly paranoid. I played a sandbox game recently alomg the lines of 1984, and I learned to do a lot of planning ahead for every possible contingency.

Ryuuk
2010-04-13, 07:31 PM
Serah

Once in the cave, Serah finally relaxes for a bit. Her wings grow back and take her to the air in a quick flutter. After stretching, she lands on the most appropriate looking pile of debris and takes a seat, ready to oversee the procedures.

Ah, yes, the razor... She draws Liuxi's weapon and gives it a quick look over. She gently runs a finger over its edge when she gets an idea. "You'll see it as soon as I'm done with it..." Leaving it at her side, she draws a pair of white laced gloves and puts it on. "...I just want to see how Liuxi got it."

Those are a pair of Gloves of Object Reading, from the MIC. By handling the item and concentrating, I can learn the following:

1st Minute: Last owner’s race.
2nd Minute: Last owner’s gender.
3rd Minute: Last owner’s age.
4th Minute: Last owner’s alignment.
5th Minute: How last owner gained and lost the object.
6th+ Minute: Next-to-last owner’s race, and so on.

She'll let Gram see it after 10 minutes. (So up to how it's last owner before Liuxi gained and lost the razor). I don't mean to delay the game or anything and hopefully both Gram's and Serah's analysis can be resolved at the same time, but Gram seems to giving a lot of orders and Serah won't do as he says (fall under him in the chain of command, in her eyes) just like that.

industrious
2010-04-13, 07:41 PM
Slowly concentrating on the razor, Serah learns that Liuxi is a human male, aged 40, with alignment UNDETERMINED. It was given as a gift, and taken off his unconscious body. Continuing to focus on the object, Serah finds out...nothing more about it. Something is blocking the gauntlets.

While Gram can sense the power inherent in the razor, he is unable to determine any specific properties it might have.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-13, 07:43 PM
Calebros

As the others begin to squabble over the razor Calebros searches Liuxi quickly, relieving him of anything that he may have missed in his hurry at the barber's shop.

Search-[roll0]

After either taking whatever is left off of Liuxi or not finding anything Calebros begins to take out the items he took from the shop (what Liuxi had on him+the strop) and examine them in more detail.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-14, 06:46 AM
Gram stares at the little man who still seems to be evading his ability to know what's written on the soul of men. He can't help but wonder what magical energies currently enclose him.

"Can anyone dispel magic?"

Trix, you're up! :smallwink:

It's a shame no one has Greater Arcane Sight, though.

That done, Gram stalks over to where Calebros has laid out the barber's instruments.

"Anything?", he asks, glancing over the items on the floor.

Spot: [roll0]
I've tried to wait as long as it would make sense, but I feel like it makes sense for Gram to examine his junk. If there had been a door or something, I'd have him establish a guard, but there's nothing else for him to do at this point.

P.S. Since Gram doesn't sleep, he'll essentially "take 20" on his sense magic check tonight when he's not standing guard. That would give him a 40 on the check, so unless a level-30 caster made it, or it's an artifact, he ought to know what it does by the morning. It will take a little shy of 4 hours to do.

Ryuuk
2010-04-14, 07:47 PM
Serah

"Strange... It doesn't seem to be his body that's being protected." She stands and gently hovers to the ground. "Something doesn't want us to know the way he thinks, whether he's closer to me or to Gram... And its only this little fact that's being hidden. His race, his age, those are clear as crystal from my reading... I could see a spell being used on his person, but for it to block the razor too?"

Her mind working this out, she grabs takes out the white sheet to see if the protection spreads to any of his possesions. While doing this, she tries to deduce the scope of the needed magics.

Alright, two things:

Gloves of Object Reading on the sheet in up until she gets to his alignment, just to see if the UNDETERMINED still stands.

Spellcraft to try and deduce the effect. If the exact effect can´t be deduced, at least she wants to figure out if mortal magic (pre epic) could be doing this, or if you would need something of real power to get this effect off (epic).

1/day Factotum Bonus (+20) to Spellcraft + Balam's Reroll if the result is less than 50:
Spellcraft [roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]

AmberVael
2010-04-14, 08:12 PM
Typhae

"I could do that."
Typhae replies to Gram. However, given that she isn't moving an inch closer to Luixi, she's either confident that she can teleport him from a distance, or is simply stating that she can, not that she will.

"Oh, right, I'm reminded... earlier I realized it was really annoying not to be able to tell you all I found Luixi. I'll remedy that real quick, just in case we get separated again."

She winks, taps her forehead, and stretches her arms and wings out towards each of the others, forming a telepathic link with them.

Using Telepathic Bond on all of us, which I get from Beguiler. Given that it doesn't last very long, she'll use Augmented casting and a first level Sorcerer spell per day to Extend it, meaning that it will last 320 minutes, or a little over 5 hours.

industrious
2010-04-14, 09:05 PM
Thinking quickly, and drawing on her experience with mortal spellcraft, Serah deduces that such a feat is impossible. At least by normal, sane standards. No, whoever, or whatever did this had power. A great deal of power, like the wizards whose names are forever immortalized. But the spell was somehow distinct from the works of those mages. Whoever had woven this effect did not wield arcane power to do so, nor had they called upon the might of the gods. Whoever had done this was immortal, or at least ageless; the effect was so intricate as to require several mortal lifespan's worth to create it. And for some strange reason, Serah thinks she can smell the faint odor of brimstone from the enchantment. The spell had been cast from Baator.

As Gram stares at the leather strop, on impulse he turns the leather over. And the warden gasps, for he knows exactly what those feathers come from. Friends, and colleagues, fellow celestials, their wingfeathers now used to hone Liuxi's deadly razor.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-15, 01:41 PM
Gram

Gram squats down beside Calebros. As his eyes trace over the numerous items taken from Liuxi, they come to rest on the leather strop. Not daring to touch anything with his hands, he flips the strop over with the point of his blade. And gasps.

Insight comes to the Warden, quickly and painfully. After a short intake of breath, he rocks back onto his heels and holds very still for a few moments. He looks sharply at the unconscious form of Liuxi and then back again to the strop.

He slides his blade underneath the strop, lifts it into the air, and peers at it more closely, studying the tracings of the feathers for confirmation. The feathers, surprisingly enough, are not from one single celestial, but rather from a collection too stunning to consider.

He lays it back down on the ground, flips it over, and looks pointedly at 'Caleb', rage burning silently in his eyes. When he speaks, it is very quietly.

"This man has much to answer for.

"Do you, perchance, recognize the other side?"

If this were my barbarian character, there would have been a lot of destruction going on right now, but Gram's rage is going to burn very coldly.

whoiam
2010-04-15, 04:15 PM
"Save your effort" 'trix waved off Typhae's attempt at a link, instead using one of her at-will mindlinks to achieve much the same effect.

Figured I may as well save you one person's worth of effort, since it doesn't cost 'trix anything;)

"We will attempt to remove the enchantment from this one. We do not suspect it will be too easy, but..." But she would try, anyway.

Dispel Psionics, with a 5 point augmentation. It's targetted at Liuxi only.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
It's 10PP a time, and 'trix has hundreds, so... let me know if I have to keep rolling extra castings. I'm happy to keep going until I hit a 20.

Ryuuk
2010-04-15, 07:09 PM
Serah

<No... No normal human could have set this ward up... Liuxi couldn't have done it unless what we're seeing here isn't the real him...> Serah goes from thinking aloud to thinking in private. Typhae had a way of ending up pointed at the right direction and, so far, she seemed like the most versed in magic of the bunch, even if the power was in her wings. Perhaps because of it, actually. <It was not brought together though working the arcane... nor through the will of divinity, at least not in the traditional sense... and the pattern is too intricate... crafting it could have taken centuries... But the structure... the way the ward is layered, the architecture of it just... It just reeks of them.> She subtly shakes her head with a scowl, while most of the others are too busy with Liuxi and some piece of red leather. <The structure is practically written in infernal...>

She pauses here. It made sense, if he was siding with them it could explain how he saw through her disguise. The razor was steel and he cut through her like through a human. Pining this down would be harder though, if you had skill with a blade then you didn't really need to be backed by devils to break through a defense.

For once she agreed, Liuxi had a lot to answer... "It won't be." She answers to 'trix. "This wards on another level..." She slowly goes back to sorting things out. She draws her tome and begins to jot a few things down, the others seemed to be rather busy anyway.

industrious
2010-04-16, 01:13 PM
Liuxi groans in relief as the paralysis effect finally wears off. His voice is different than before; rougher, deeper. Struggling to get free, he finds that his muscles will no longer obey him; flicking his eyeballs upward, he attempts to settle down into a more comfortable position. That, too, fails.

"Great. I get a succubus, and a ****ing fallen Warden after me. I'd ask what the Abyss I did to merit such an attempt, but I think I already know. I've got a hint for you: wait until I can actually feel something before you torture me."

AmberVael
2010-04-16, 01:48 PM
Figured I may as well save you one person's worth of effort, since it doesn't cost 'trix anything ;)

((Putting aside that I have enough spells per to day sink a battleship, I only needed one spell to link all of us and more. So nothing is really saved.))

Typhae

Typhae grins a little bit to herself, watching over Luixi as she responds to Serah, likewise not revealing her thoughts to anyone else.
<Devils, huh? Well they'd be welcome enemies for you and I, wouldn't they?>
Her wings stretch out as she considers the information, closing her eyes.

<I could take us to Hell, if need be, but we'd want more of a lead so we aren't wandering around blindly. There are some divining rituals I know, but I'm not sure I'd trust the sources they consult, especially for what we're trying to go after.
<Probably best to wait until we get Luixi talkative.>

shadowedsoul
2010-04-16, 01:57 PM
Calebros

This post is assuming that Liuxi is still unconscious. If he's awake then add the following:

Seeing the man awaken Calebros casually reaches out and strikes a nerve cluster at the top of his spine, causing him to sink back into unconsciousness.

(Yes, that skips the fort save, but since he shouldn't have woken up in the first place and he's tied up I don't care).

"Do you, perchance, recognize the other side?"

I certainly do, it's the skin of one of Baator's generals. Seems whoever is backing our barber has access to some serious mojo.
Calebros replies cooly, a spark dancing across his eyes.

industrious
2010-04-16, 02:11 PM
Liuxi's little outburst quickly dies out as he is paralyzed once more.

Still searching through Liuxi's belongings, the group discovers little of interest. While the various other tools the man had were of fine make and material, they were also entirely non-magical.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 02:20 PM
Gram

I can't remember if Trix said IC that it would invade Liuxi's mind, but I'm going to assume it did.

The Warden quickly turns to the disturbance, but relaxes when Liuxi goes under again.

"Trix, are you ready to begin speaking with our barber? I believe we have learned all we can from his things."

EDIT: He turns to the others. "Did you hear what he called me? A "fallen" warden.... He sinks deep into contemplation, trying to puzzle out the meaning of this development.

whoiam
2010-04-16, 03:11 PM
OOC: We'll pretend it did;)

"We are ready. We do not have much time to think of questions while the power runs, so perhaps you could provide questions before we start? Blocks of twenty are ideal."

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 03:25 PM
Gram ponders for a few moments and then starts suggesting ideas, stream of conscious.

"Hmmn. He seemed to think we know more than we do. Try not to give that away.

"'Why do you think we came for you?'

"'Why did you attack us?'

"'Who are you working for?'

"'How did you get the blade and the strop?'

"You may also wish to assure him that no torture will be forthcoming, and perhaps that I am not, in fact, a fallen archon."

shadowedsoul
2010-04-16, 03:30 PM
Calebros

You might wanna ask about what powers the blade and strop have as well.

and perhaps that I am not, in fact, a fallen archon."

Is that for his benefit or yours?

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 03:32 PM
"He seems to think that fiends from the abyss have come for him (Not that I know whatever would give him that preposterous idea). Perhaps if he was informed that an agent of the heavens is here, it would calm him and make him more amenable.

"I imagine it will all depend on how he responds to the first series of questions."

EDIT: "It is still entirely possible that the man is to be an ally, and that he was merely trying to defend himself. The strop calls this possibility into extreme suspicion, but it is not yet impossible."

whoiam
2010-04-16, 03:55 PM
OOC: Okay, unless there's any problem with that, I'm going to say 'trix tried her dispel twice (which would clear off magic from any caster of up to 29th level if I remembered the formula right) and now comes the first casting of the questions.

Manifest: Mind Probe.

1. Why would infernal agents be after you?
2. Why would celestial agents be after you?
3. Why did you attack us?
4. Who are you working for?
5. How did you get the razor?
6. What powers does the razor posess?
7. How did you get the strop?
8. What powers does the strop posess?
9. What was shielding your mind earlier?
10. Is your wife considered pretty by human standards?

OOC: Well, none of the others know what 'trix is asking until she tells them the responses, so when she ran out of sensible questions, she put in something she was merely curious about. Questions 11-20 to follow if there's an answer to 1-10 that deserves a followup.

industrious
2010-04-16, 04:28 PM
Even paralyzed and poisoned, the man's mind resists 'Trix's intrusion. The Tyranid is able to receive some answers, however. The man had attacked because he felt threatened by Serah; this was not the first time demons had been sent to kill him. A former demon hunter, he used to work for the Celestial Bureaucracy under a different name, but when he retired, he changed it. Currently, he was approached by another character, whose name was...The man's memory blanks out. He was tall, though, and had a distinctive name. It was definitely distinctive.

As to the mind shield...the man's thoughts and memories have no answer to the question. Clearly, he was unaware of its existence. As to his wife...he can't really say. He doesn't see beauty in people anymore.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 07:48 PM
Gram

The warden looks at Trix. "Well, did you learn anything? Or is it time to wake him up?"

((Sorry for the OOC post in the IC thread earlier--didn't realize where I was.))

whoiam
2010-04-16, 08:11 PM
11. What did the figure want from you?
12. How would we contact this figure?

OOC: For questions 13-20, 'trix will simply re-ask the failed questions from 1-12, and repeat until she hits 20 or all the questions have been answered. According to the power description, 'trix will know which ones he resisted answering, and there's nothing stopping her asking them again while the power lasts.

"We did what we could, but it seems difficult to get the information we could use. This man used to hunt demons, it seems, which explains his assault upon finding a succubus sniffing around him. We also have an image of a figure that recruited him for something. We attempted to receive a name, but failed. We do not think the information is present in his mind."

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 08:17 PM
Gram

Gram interjects before Trix can ask her second set of questions
"Ask him if he can cast any spells or invocations! If we know the answer to that question, we will know how to handle him when we wake him!"

Ryuuk
2010-04-16, 08:25 PM
Serah

<Arrogant bastards, the lot of them. They see the glass ceiling, accept it, and think themselves enlightened... But you're right, this will be useful, but its not enough to go on. It's a lead we'll have to confirm... Once that's done, well, things will start getting complicated.>

Not missing the chance, Gram suddenly feels a burden on his shoulders. "Rather strange of him to think that, isn't it?" She adds with a smile from a fur seat. Serah finds it rather nice, and relaxes, crossing her legs and getting comfortable. "I could get used to this."

"He was recruited? We know what's at stake here, so why don't we try to narrow things down? How about the following:

Ignoring the last two hours, when did you last cooperate with a native to Celestia?

Ignoring the last two hours, when did you last cooperate with a native to Elysium?

Ignoring the last two hours, when did you last cooperate with a native to Arborea?

Etc, etc, asking about each of the 8 corners of the wheel: Limbo, The Abyss, Hades, Baator, Mechanus. If someone where to want to tip the scales, odds are it would be in one of those planes."

shadowedsoul
2010-04-16, 08:25 PM
Calebros

If we wake him you mean. He's already demonstrated that he's quite adept at causing injury, if the insect can glean whatever information we need from him then I see no reason to ever let him regain consciousness.
Calebros replies, probably as much to gauge Gram's reaction as to put the idea out there.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 08:44 PM
Gram turns sharply to 'Caleb'.

"His story makes perfect sense so far. Denizens of the lower planes have been sent to kill him, and he has two outsiders walk into his barber shop. It would make sense for him to act to protect himself. And as a human, he would need every possible tactical advantage.

"Was it right for him to strike first without knowing the truth? No. Such behavior is shameful. But until we know for sure who and what he is, we cannot simply execute him. We were told nothing of how Liuxi was involved, only that he was. He may yet prove to be an ally."

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 08:56 PM
Gram

Before Trix can tell the others that his dispel has worked, Gram knows it. His head jerks to his right, zeroing in on the man who's soul the warden can finally sense, whose soul he had read the moment the wards around the man went down.

Granted, simply knowing which way a man's heart leans in life wouldn't be enough for Gram to judge him, one way or the other, but it was a start. And any start was better than the precious little they knew about their mission.

shadowedsoul
2010-04-16, 09:01 PM
Calebros

I never said anything about whether or not his story made sense. If the insect can get the information we need from him and he does in fact hold a grudge against outsiders from the lower planes-
He pauses, nodding his head in Serah's direction.
-then strategically there's no reason for him to ever wake up. If the insect can't get all the information we need, or he turns out to be useful, then I have no problem with him waking up.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 09:11 PM
Gram

Gram holds up an open palm to 'Caleb'.

"We can discuss this later. There is no point in wasting effort on something that has not happened yet.

"Trix, what can you tell us?"

shadowedsoul
2010-04-16, 09:18 PM
Calebros

Calebros smiles at the Archon's reaction.
Good, he's as set in his ways as the rest of his kind. At least I know how to manipulate him when the need arises.
Very well Archon. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can give me orders however. My allegiance is not to you.
He replies in Celestial, embers forming in his eyes for a moment before they return to normal.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-16, 09:24 PM
Gram

"No, I do not believe I can give you orders. But that does not mean you may simply do as you wish with impunity. And it does not mean you are incapable of seeing reason. Now let us cease this nonsense and focus on the work at hand."

industrious
2010-04-16, 09:30 PM
Will Saves:
[roll0]Fail
[roll1]Succeed

[roll2]Fail

[roll3]Fail
[roll4]Fail

[roll5]Fail

[roll6]Succeed
[roll7]Succeed
[roll8]Succeed

[roll9]Succeed

Reaching deeper with the Mind Probe, 'Trix encounters another patch of resistance, before the barber(no, wait. ex-Demon Hunter)'s mind temporarily succumbs. Such resistance quickly reappears, though.

Further Mind Probing:

Liuxi does not contact his superior; he is contacted. However, his superior did mention something about the fall of "Time's Arrow."

Liuxi, under another name, participated in the extremely bloody Raid on Fort Aelfric, and personally slayed the commander of the demon base. After that mission, and knowing that he was getting old, Liuxi refused all further rewards, and asked merely to retire, and start his own business as humble barber, just as his father was.

The man supposes his retirement and refusal of the Great Celestial's request did not endear him to some of the more militant members of the Upper Planes. But he couldn't think of any reason for them to try to kill him. At least, not for real. Some of them might feel justified in using indirect methods such as sending lesser demons after him in order to convince the man to ply his former trade again.

The razor, along with his other items, were a final parting gift from the Celestial Bureaucracy, "for services rendered." At least, with the exception of one razor. That one was a gift from his new patron.

The Celestial razors are non-magical, though of fine make. His other razor, on the other hand, was made for war. Perfectly balanced so as to deal greater damage, with micro-adjustable aim, it further caused a greater deal of blood-letting than such a weapon was supposed to. Finally, engraved across its handle are the basic tenants of his martial discipline, which aid him in concentrating during strikes.

OOC:

+5 wounding Blood Sage straight razor

Barbarian MD
2010-04-17, 08:38 AM
Gram

Gram waits for 'Trix to relay the information that it's gained, and then stands up from his squat and takes a few steps towards the prone figure.

"Shall we wake our guest, then?"

AmberVael
2010-04-17, 09:53 AM
Typhae

Typhae quietly hums to herself, examining her fingers as she considers all that they've learned so far. She still doesn't entirely trust the two they met to begin with, though this Luixi fellow seems odd. But then again, if he were recruited... Still, she can't imagine what other cause the two that recruited this motley group would have them after. She just still didn't know enough.

Quietly, she denotes Serah's words. Glass ceilings, huh? Interesting complaint, that. Valid, maybe, but unusual to point out.

<Do you think we'll be able to trust anything this mind probe turns up? That was quite some powerful warding on his mind...>
She asks Serah.

whoiam
2010-04-17, 10:23 AM
"According to his memories, he does not posess any means of contacting his 'recruiter', nor any useful information for identifying them. Save for recollections which appear to have been partially erased. The razor with which he attacked us is a gift from his current employer, and holds enchantments designed to deal deep wounds.

There was one other point, which we consider unusual. His contact mentioned something to do with the fall of Time's Arrow, and this mention is associated in his mind with contact from his superior. We do not understand that reference. Our racial memory does contain mention of the phrase Time's Arrow, but not in any form that could possibly be relevant - for the Time's Arrow with which we are familiar to fall, the flow of Time in the planes would have to be irrevocably damaged. We think there must be some definition of this phrase with which we are unfamiliar.

Anyway, we are now ready to wake the prisoner, if you so wish. However, we would like to make a counter proposal. The prisoner does not appear to posess a means of finding the next contact in the conspiracy we chase, but can be contacted by them. We propose removing his memory of encountering us and returning him to his shop, bound, injured and unconscious. The natural assumption will be that some form of crime took place, but the criminals were unaware of his connections or importance. Keeping a close watch upon him from that point forwards would permit us to find and trace his contact at the next meeting. We wish we knew how long this would take..."

Ryuuk
2010-04-17, 08:43 PM
Serah

Still on Gram's shoulder, Serah nods at the man with eyes like embers who speaks of orders and allegiances. "He does have a nasty little habit of doing that, doesn't he?" With her seat finally standing, Serah jumps off, but not before running a hand through the fur on the top of his head. Shaking herself off, she adds to the archon "Nice rebuttal though, I'll make sure to remember that. It would have been good to know it an hour ago though."

After a moments consideration, she answers. <There's no way of knowing. If 'trix was really able to break it though, then things are looking better for us. It means whatever set it up isn't infallible. The alternative is... rather frightening.

The best we can hope for is to confirm it with our deductions. If the probe leads to the hells, then there may be some truth in what she has learned from him. If they diverge though, we really have no way of knowing which is true. Our deduction or the probe...>

'trix's idea had some merit. "Would you make him forget right now, or can we have some time to talk with him first? If the point is to watch him unnoticed though, that may be impossible. We reached him by a name alone. If his recruiter powerful enough to get our recruiter worked up, finding out what exactly happened at the shop should be child's play."

AmberVael
2010-04-17, 10:16 PM
Typhae

"We may be able to find Luixi with only a name, but we needed to look for him before we could find him- needed to know he was a threat before we even thought to act."
Typhae says, staring at her fingers as she makes odd gestures with them.
"Being able to investigate something is pointless if you don't conduct an investigation in the first place. As long as we cover up what we've done skillfully enough to avoid light or moderate detection, we might get away with it."

"With this in mind, I recommend we leave no trace at all that anything unusual happened, if this is possible. Considering the mess we left, it may not be."

whoiam
2010-04-18, 04:40 AM
"We can cope with some interaction now as well. We should warn you that there are limits to the amount of memory we can overwrite - and that doing so takes as long as writing the memory took in the first place. So, in summary: Please be brief."

Casting: Psionic Restoration. Get rid of that nasty unconsciousness! There will be healing to follow if he's still out from the non-lethal damage.

AmberVael
2010-04-18, 07:30 AM
Typhae

Typhae readies herself to put a halt to the situation should Luixi try something against them.

If Luixi decides to be a pain, Typhe will cast Time Stop.

industrious
2010-04-18, 09:06 AM
While Liuxi is no longer paralyzed, he is still drained of strength and unconscious.

whoiam
2010-04-20, 08:19 AM
Manifestation: 'Psionic Heal' (150HP of healing, 150HP of non-lethal damage removed).

'trix quickly retreats from Liuxi's body. "We will leave this discussion to you."

'trix doesn't know that Liuxi was also paralysed, which is why she thinks he'll be able to talk.

industrious
2010-04-20, 06:33 PM
Liuxi groans, and seeing the group around him, decides that struggling with his bonds would accomplish nothing.

"I would have thought you'd have killed me by now. So, how badly are you going to torture me?"

AmberVael
2010-04-20, 06:52 PM
Typhae

"Torturing is pretty messy."
Typhae says amiably, seemingly relaxed, but inwardly tensed, ready to call on the power of her wings at any moment.
"Also kind of a hassle. I mean, you can have fun doing it, but it's also annoying to clean up after and really do properly."

Her wings twitch around her, and she smiles in a merciless but also sincere manner- which doesn't make much sense, but Typhae isn't in the business of making sense.
"So really, I'd just rather get some answers without having to resort to the torture. I'm sure that would be a lot nicer for you, too, so why don't we just cooperate? All we want is a bit of information. Right now, we don't have much reason to harm you... well, okay, except the fact that you attempted to slit the throat of our friend over here."

Typhae nods back towards Serah, raising an eyebrow.
"Not really a way to endear yourself to us, especially when it's not like we provoked you at all. For all you knew, she really just wanted that haircut. Obviously you know it was more than that now, but still we didn't really have a reason to cause you any harm.
"Now that you tried that throat splitting trick, however, I'm ready to approach the option of torture and homicide much more cheerfully! But I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and a chance to cooperate first. Maybe you just flipped out and made a mistake. Granted, you still slit her throat, but she'll recover from that, so I'm willing to let it slide if you play extra nice..."

She leans in and gives a very wide and somewhat creepy grin.
"If you play nice. So I advise some nice apologies and best behavior."
The winged woman sits back, settling to a more comfortable position.
"We'll just get the easy parts out of the way first. You are Liuxi, correct? Not someone who took up his name?"

Presumably I should Intimidate or Diplomacy here. Not sure which one. However, I have the same bonus for both, so...
[roll0]

If you need two rolls for some reason, here's a second:
[roll1]

Barbarian MD
2010-04-20, 06:52 PM
"The plan... does not involve torture," Gram harumphs.

AmberVael
2010-04-20, 07:01 PM
Typhae

"Your plan doesn't involve torture."
Typhae corrects Gram cheerfully.

Barbarian MD
2010-04-20, 07:01 PM
"Master Liuxi, you are going to feel a slight tickling in your amygdala. Do not be alarmed. It will be a small spell, and it will tell me when you lie. You can resist, but eventually my tiny little spell will slip through the cracks, so save yourself the trouble and do not resist me.

I promise you, on my honor as a servant of the heavens, I will restore you to your barber shop if you are innocent of malice."

Discern lies, at will. He's going to roll a one eventually.

industrious
2010-04-23, 09:39 PM
[roll0]

Liuxi glares at the Warden Archon.

"Like I'm going to let the agents of the Abyss into my mind willingly. Do your worst, you traitor of an angel."

Barbarian MD
2010-04-23, 10:06 PM
Gram tries to not to allow anger creep into his voice. "...Says the man with a strop made from the feathers of my kindred."

It's "at-will", so roll until I get a natural one.

industrious
2010-04-23, 10:10 PM
"A retirement gift from the Hebdomad. To remember my fallen companions. Your former masters. Before you betrayed them and took up with her." He manages to jerk his head vaguely towards Serah.

He's not lying, at least not willingly.The statement where he believes you to be a fallen archon is obviously a lie, but he believes it.

Ryuuk
2010-04-24, 06:25 PM
Serah

Having taken a seat off to the side and watching the proceedings, Serah finds being proclaimed a victim by an angel to be... curious. Still, the conversation was following a logical leap. She was able to change her shape for a reason, after all. Still, that was nothing she wasn't used to.

"I guess you have to think like that, don't you? You dedicated yourself to hunting my kind, you must see us as little more then clever animals. Animals that feel nothing as they end a life, perhaps, but beings not worthy of the same dignity as you and your fellow. I don't blame you, we don't even give each other the same dignity." She stretches, taking a stand. "But that view of yours, that we're like a disease, that anyone that comes into contact with us becomes like us... That's a slippery slope there..." She draws the razor, fiddling around with it as she speaks. "You know you caught me by surprise there... I pride myself in being able to read emotions, and I really thought you where just going to fix my loose ends..." She crosses her arms, but with a hand at her face as if in thought and looking up with exaggerated motions. “Didn't a man once say: ' Battle not with monsters lest you become one'...? I feel you should have heard this warning earlier...”

She leaves the point hanging, taking a long, deliberate look at the small blade he'd used against her. "Was this also a retirement present?"

industrious
2010-04-24, 06:42 PM
Liuxi's face contorts as he glares at Serah.

"Hence the retirement. I'd like to spend the last ten years of my life doing something creative. I've worked with death for far too long. You try to start over, take the road not taken. Get married to a girl you saved from a mugger. You get demon assassin squads. Many demon assassin squads."

"And that particular razor...no. That was a gift from my new employer. In case another of you lot showed up."

Typhae:

He failed the intimidate check; he's going to cooperate. His objection was to letting what appears to be a fallen angel inside his mind.

AmberVael
2010-04-24, 06:49 PM
Typhae

"Well, since we're on the subject... who is this new employer?"
Typhae asks, her expression getting more serious.

industrious
2010-04-24, 07:12 PM
Liuxi smiles. It doesn't look pleasant.

"Can't tell you his name. He set things up so that in case I was ever compromised, I wouldn't be able to tell you. But I do know what he's planning. He's going to wipe the Abyss out, totally and completely. No more demons. And once Time's Arrow is destroyed, his victory is certain."

AmberVael
2010-04-24, 07:18 PM
Typhae

<Destroying the Abyss would definitely be in keeping with infernal agendas...>
Typhae remarks telepathically to Serah.
"What is this "Time's Arrow" you refer to?"
She asks Luixi.
"And can you tell us anything else about your employer, even if you can't say his name?"