PDA

View Full Version : ChHa TF2 Highlandering: There Can Be Only Three!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dread Cthulhu
2010-09-27, 01:58 PM
People wanted a seperate thread for this, so here we go.

ETF2L is running a highlander tournament for Team Fortress 2, with hundreds of teams competing. Teams who normally play competitively are not allowed, so it's the best teams from the community and we've entered three.

Chocolate Hammer Green (http://etf2l.org/teams/9421/): The team going for victory.
Chocolate Hammer Yellow (http://etf2l.org/teams/9422/): The team going for fun.
Chocolate Hammer Cyan (http://etf2l.org/teams/10177/): The other team going for fun.

This is where to go to discuss the tournament and availability of people. Any screencaps or recordings also go here.

Current Status of each Team:

ChHa Green: Tie-breaker in group stage
ChHa Yellow: Out in group stage: Won one, lost one
ChHa Cyan: Tie-breaker in group stage

Byrnbot08
2010-09-27, 02:12 PM
Quoted from ChHa Yellow's War Room Memo:

Status report on first game: ChHa Yellow vs. The NGs

After a brief panic at the start of the match, the stage was set for our first game of the season. Our first map was Dustbowl, and while it took us a while to acclimatize to only having one Engineer, we managed to put on both a strong attack and defense, securing a strong 6-4 win.

Our next map was Upward, a map which we were much less familiar with, but we soon took our cues and were able to create an overwhelming attack which prevented the enemy from stopping us. This seemed to discourage them and before long we had won by a resounding 4-1.

The NGs were a very pleasant team, gracious in defeat and excellent sportsmen. If every team we face is like them, this will be an immensely enjoyable tournament.

Participants

Scout: Scorpionica
Soldier: NeoVid (replacing Fawkes)
Pyro: The Dread Cthulhu
Demoman: Azimer the Mad (replacing mtg_player_zach)
Heavy: potatocubed (replacing Worira)
Engineer: Crown of Thorns
Medic: Smiling-Jack (replacing Griever)
Sniper: Fawkes (replacing Byrnbot08)
Spy: Kainozzo

Will report in as Signals relays them.

Snowstorm
2010-09-27, 02:24 PM
ChHa Green: Hasn't started, first game scheduled for 9th October
ChHa Yellow: First match played, won 6-0
ChHa Cyan: Hasn't started

Wait, the 9th of October? Isn't it next week, the (2nd) of Oct?

AlterForm
2010-09-27, 02:27 PM
Wait, the 9th of October? Isn't it next week, the (2nd / 3rd) of Oct?

Yes, yes it is.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-09-27, 02:40 PM
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

onasuma
2010-09-27, 03:31 PM
The first "green" game is next saturday.

mightymonarch
2010-09-27, 05:57 PM
Putting this out there.

I can merc for Yellow or Green if necessary. Medic, Solly and Heavy in order. Dread Cthulu, you may want to start a list in the OP of people who can play in a merc role, for what teams, and what classes.

Worira
2010-09-27, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's actually allowed.

Azimer the Mad
2010-09-27, 06:04 PM
I think our attitude helped us a lot. It was fun to play with your friends list for a cause for once.

Great game. Is it selfish of me to hope I get to sub for another one?:smallbiggrin:

mightymonarch
2010-09-27, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's actually allowed.

Pretty sure it is.

From here (http://etf2l.org/rules/highlander-rules/).

2.1.7 Two merc’s allowed by default, new or division 6 only (or a replacement for the Buddy)

In every match a team will be allowed to use 2 merc’s (players that are not registered on the teams roster) if they can not field a full team. However, it is only allowed to use merc’s that measure up to rule 2.1.1 (not having played division 5 or higher).
Alternatively a team can use a replacement for their Buddy, the replacement will have to be of the same skill as the regular buddy and will have to stick to the ‘buddy’ classes as well.

2.1.8 Up to 3 general mercs allowed if opponent agrees

Teams are allowed to use more mercs, up to a number of 3, if their opponent agrees with it. Teams can use players from higher divisions for any classes, but only if the opponent allows it. Be sure to post logs about the agreement on the match page to prove the opponent agreed to the mercs.

Worira
2010-09-27, 06:13 PM
Oh, ok. Good then.

AlterForm
2010-09-27, 06:24 PM
Actually, this bit:

(players that are not registered on the teams roster)

Might be a sticking point.

If they intended it to mean "players not on the given team," they left out a necessary apostrophe on "teams," which is worryingly unlikely (but still possible) in such a codified (and no doubt well-reviewed/revised) document.

If they intended it to mean "players not on any team," it's a very awkward, but still technically correct, sentence construction.

Before anyone on a currently registered Highlander team goes merc'ing for another one, they/someone/we should get the permissibility thereof clarified by an admin or somesuch.

Fawkes
2010-09-27, 08:18 PM
Note: I will probably not be available for matches the next two weekends. If I am absolutely needed, I may be able to squeeze a game in, but would need notice well in advance.

mightymonarch
2010-09-27, 08:28 PM
If they intended it to mean "players not on the given team," they left out a necessary apostrophe on "teams," which is worryingly unlikely (but still possible) in such a codified (and no doubt well-reviewed/revised) document.

Based on how wonderfully unclear some of the rules are, who really knows. No where did I find what exactly constitutes a buddy. Nowhere. But you can only have one and they can only play Engi/Pyro/Heavy/Spy!

Sleverin
2010-09-27, 09:00 PM
Really? You didn't find what a Buddy was? A Buddy is a person who can be from any division or any skill level but can only play the buddy classes. It seems to be more of a thing for regular division play, and might not be so good for the community challenge. I'm pretty sure it says it somewhere in the regular league rules and not the highlander rules.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-09-29, 11:47 AM
so apparently since Cyan was slow in setting up a match, we got assigned at time. The date is: Monday, 04 October 2010, 20:30 according to the email they sent.

AlterForm
2010-09-29, 12:06 PM
That 20:30 is at CEST (GMT +1), btw. Found this out while trying to schedule a match for ChHa Green.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-09-29, 12:09 PM
that is good to know. Thanks.

Treayn
2010-09-29, 12:46 PM
Trying to get a game going with Sony Defense Force AND Micro Clan for Cyan.

Unfortunately, The leader of Micro clan, whom we were supposed to face off with first, is not responding to my emails or friend invites. He's never online either, for that matter.

Byrnbot08
2010-09-30, 01:23 AM
Trying to get a game going with Sony Defense Force AND Micro Clan for Cyan.

Unfortunately, The leader of Micro clan, whom we were supposed to face off with first, is not responding to my emails or friend invites. He's never online either, for that matter.

Remember, if Micro Clan does not organise a match with you, they automatically shoot themselves in the foot with a non-reduced crit rocket.

Or to be accurate, they lose their place because they forfeited. By not being there.

Treayn
2010-09-30, 11:41 AM
Yup, if they don't respond today I'm going to have a little talk with the admins.

Also, we have a game (re)scheduled with Sony Defense Force.

Cyan match status:

Cyan vs. Micro Clan: Monday, Oct 4, 8:30 PM EST(1:30 AM GMT)

Cyan vs. Sony Defense Force: Sunday, Oct 3, 2 PM EST(7 PM GMT)
[hr]

**With Micro Clan, ETF2L's assigned us a Monday scrim date, and obviously some of you won't be able to make a Monday. I'm trying to move the date of that scrim to Saturday, not sure if their team will respond though.

surikesu
2010-09-30, 11:47 AM
We're finally going to play against Sony Defense Force! Time to start practicing again.

Also, will we be playing on a league provided server? Just curious.

AlterForm
2010-09-30, 02:00 PM
Attention: Chocolate Hammer Green

A reminder for our first match vs Cat Force One.

Date: Oct 2, 2010
Time: 7 pm GMT/UTC; 3 pm EST
Server: League-provided server, at the opposing team's request. (85.236.102.40:28215
pass: (for security, available on request)

If you have not already verified your availability for the match, or your availability has change since I last spoke to you, contact me as soon as possible so I know what sort of team we will be fielding.

Please arrive 1 hour before match start time so we can set out our team composition.

onasuma
2010-09-30, 02:42 PM
So, Im thinking I may have to splash out on the spy kit for the game on saturday and I encorage all of you to do the same (for your class, if appropriet).

Worira
2010-09-30, 03:02 PM
If they're following anything close to standard tournament rules, the new items are all banned.

Dogmantra
2010-09-30, 03:17 PM
I encorage all of you to do the same (for your class, if appropriet).

This is something I am planning to do.
Oh wait. :smallannoyed:

Arbitrarity
2010-09-30, 03:20 PM
OH SNAP
For all my pubbing/roamer needs, the Black Box looks like it may be useful.

mightymonarch
2010-09-30, 03:22 PM
If they're following anything close to standard tournament rules, the new items are all banned.

Community Highlander rules said that all items can be used.

1.2 All weapons and unlocks allowed

All weapons and unlocks are allowed to be used in 9v9 highlander.

Found here. (http://etf2l.org/rules/highlander-rules/)

Doesn't make it RIGHT, but they should have known ahead of time that this would probably happen and acted accordingly. Which isn't to say they won't revise the rules, but still. I don't understand the reasoning to use standard competitive rules and ban the FaN, Sandman and whatever else is banned.

Worira
2010-09-30, 03:23 PM
Right. Sorry guys, it looks like you might need a permanent replacement for me.

Arbitrarity
2010-09-30, 03:27 PM
Doesn't make it RIGHT, but they should have known ahead of time that this would probably happen and acted accordingly. Which isn't to say they won't revise the rules, but still. I don't understand the reasoning to use standard competitive rules and ban the FaN, Sandman and whatever else is banned.

Ahaha. It is funny to me :D :D
Now, I need to figure out the craft recipe for Black Box. And we need a server update.

mightymonarch
2010-09-30, 03:37 PM
Ahaha. It is funny to me :D :D
Now, I need to figure out the craft recipe for Black Box. And we need a server update.

I have been none too impressed with ETF2L with how they've been handling all of the community highlander stuff.

My guess for the Black Box is Eyelander and Direct Hit.

onasuma
2010-09-30, 05:27 PM
In case you didnt see, its direct hit + reclaimed.

AlterForm
2010-10-01, 08:23 AM
Poking around on the etf2l forums, an admin mentioned that they intend to ban the polycount weapon from the HL tournament, despite the rules implicitly allowing them. So ... just to be safe, don't use them at all, even if they haven't explicitly banned them yet. You might be able to get away with "the rules said I could, and you guys [etf2l admins] didn't get an announcement of their ban status out soon enough," but it's really just not worth risking a match or two over it.

Worira
2010-10-01, 08:57 AM
Huzzay! Still in, then.

potatocubed
2010-10-01, 12:08 PM
About ten posts down this page (http://etf2l.org/forum/highlander/topic-13283/?recent=226090) an ETF2L admin confirms the new weapons aren't allowed.

onasuma
2010-10-01, 02:05 PM
Shame, I like my new pistol.

Scuzzball
2010-10-02, 01:19 PM
Well, Our match started an hour early, and I had been doing housework. As soon as I noticed the event saying it had started early, I join the mumble and was told I had just been replaced. Lesson learned:Stay near your computer at all times near a match. ALL TIMES.

Treayn
2010-10-02, 01:42 PM
Alright, so Cyan has 2 matches this week.
[hr]

Sunday, Oct 3, 2 PM EST, vs Sony Defense force
Monday, Oct 4, 8:30 PM EST, vs The Micro Clan

We may need mercs for the Monday game, reply if you're available and interested.

Scuzzball
2010-10-02, 02:16 PM
Monday, Oct 4, 8:30 PM EST, vs The Micro Clan

We may need mercs for the Monday game, reply if you're available and interested.

I can probably make it, but every game so far scheduled, I've gotten in just as they have found a replacement. (The match for fun a while ago, and the first ChHaG match today.)

onasuma
2010-10-02, 02:35 PM
So, Green just won dustbowl and lost upward. Meh.

tarbrush
2010-10-02, 02:40 PM
So that means? Draw? Won/lost on tiebreaker?

Dogmantra
2010-10-02, 02:41 PM
Two maps per match, each victory on a map is a point. After you've played one match against every other team (that's three matches), the two teams in your group with the most points go through to the next stage.

Etcetera
2010-10-02, 02:45 PM
Can we, Yellow, play a practice game against someone, at some point soon.

Also, when is our next game?

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-02, 02:54 PM
Maybe practice. I'll try, but frankly getting everyone on for the actual game was hard enough last time.

And I'm thinking next Saturday, later so Zach can get in.

Sleverin
2010-10-02, 03:08 PM
Ok, 830 PM for me is way better and actually doable. I can just talk to my boss and tell him to let me leave early from work. Looking at the bus schedule, it might be cutting it a bit close. If I remember correctly, both teams for the match have to be present as late as 15 minutes after the arranged time for the match. I should be home 5 minutes before the match, however, i understand the Dr G has become our Medic merc if I'm not mistaken. I can only hope she can re arrange her times to help out, only if just to make sure we aren't forced to forfeit the match.

AlterForm
2010-10-02, 03:27 PM
IMPORTANT TIME NOTE

CEST is not UTC +1 as I previously stated.

It is currently UTC +2

Therefore, to convert a match time to GMT, subtract two from the time listed on the match page.

Dogmantra
2010-10-02, 03:28 PM
Remember of course, that England is in GMT + 1 right now.

AlterForm
2010-10-02, 03:54 PM
Remember of course, that England is in GMT + 1 right now.

...****ing time zones, how do they work?

People who are actually in Europe, just to confirm:

If I told you a CEST time, and asked you to convert it to GMT and/or UTC, how would you do so? What would you subtract from it? 1? 2? I want to get this cleared up nicely before I try to schedule our next match.

Dogmantra
2010-10-02, 04:13 PM
If Alter gives us a CEST time, which is UTC+2, in England, we subtract ONE HOUR.

Bryn
2010-10-02, 06:05 PM
The reason for that is daylight saving time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time). Later in the year, we will be back on GMT/UTC.

onasuma
2010-10-02, 06:34 PM
But then did we start today an hour early? Because I dont think I can be back for 7 next week.

AlterForm
2010-10-02, 06:45 PM
It's a great big mess of time zones and daylight savings time(s). I'm not sure who wound up being "early" for the time I had set up the Steam event for.

Going forward, I am going to give times ONLY IN UTC. Learn your conversion to UTC, and forget the rest. Don't forget your local flavor of DST.

onasuma
2010-10-02, 07:02 PM
What time is it for you, right now Alter? This will make it easier.

AlterForm
2010-10-02, 08:26 PM
7:26, according to Windows and the forum software. As of this post, that is.

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-03, 01:56 AM
Can Team Yellow players merc for team Cyan?

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-03, 02:47 AM
My schedule for this week is the following.

Monday: 10:45-5
Tuesday:11-6
Wednesday:Off
Thursday: 12:45-8:45
Friday:11-6
Saturday:7:15- 3:15

All EST time zone.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-03, 03:17 AM
Maybe Saturday, 3.30 EST?

Etcetera
2010-10-03, 03:27 AM
I won't be able to do this saturday, so you may have to bring in a reserve. I may be able to make Sunday evening, but I'll be travelling to London from Yorkshire, so I wouldn't think it's particularly likely.

onasuma
2010-10-03, 05:23 AM
7:26, according to Windows and the forum software. As of this post, that is.

and it was 2.26 for me. -5 hours is what we're working from.

Dogmantra
2010-10-03, 05:51 AM
and it was 2.26 for me. -5 hours is what we're working from.

Uh. America is BEHIND us in time. It'd be +7 hours for us.

AlterForm
2010-10-03, 09:53 AM
Okay, my time (Mountain), at 00:00, converts to:

02:00 Eastern
07:00 GMT
06:00 UTC (Due to daylight savings time shenanigans)
08:00 CEST

That sound right?

If I have Eastern time for Americans and GMT (or UTC, or even just CEST) for the Europeans, that should give everyone an easy way to find their local match time without crossing an ocean. Unless we have Aussies on our team. Do we have any POLITE people on ChHaG?

Sleverin
2010-10-03, 09:58 AM
I just found this under the highlander rules page:

"The newly released polycount weapons are banned, except for The Holy Mackerel (Getting hit by a fish must be allowed)."

So, hurrah for fish scouts!

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-03, 11:45 AM
Maybe Saturday, 3.30 EST?

90% chance, I'm there. I have an old friend coming down, but I can spare an hour or two.

"The newly released polycount weapons are banned, except for The Holy Mackerel (Getting hit by a fish must be allowed)."

Cool. If they're that rational, they'll probably allow presents too.

Worira
2010-10-03, 02:02 PM
I cannot make 3:30 EST on saturday.

AlterForm
2010-10-03, 02:31 PM

I have scheduled our next match, against the tf2wiki team, as follows:

Date: Oct 9, 2010
Time: 15:00 Eastern; 19:00 UTC
Server: ShaFT

Please leave a message for me either via PM or Steam chat as to your availability at this time. As always, don't conclude that I have received your message until I give you direct confirmation of receipt.

Please arrive 1 hour before match start time so we can set out our team composition. I will schedule the Steam Event to begin at this early time.

Science Officer
2010-10-03, 04:30 PM
well, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details Cyan seems to have won it's match against Sony Defense Force.

MamaLuigi
2010-10-03, 04:35 PM
well, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details Cyan seems to have won it's match against Sony Defense Force.

Yeah, Badwater we won 4-3, and granary the server kept going down but after 5 matches we wound up 4-1 winning.

Sleverin
2010-10-03, 04:37 PM
We did. We stopped them from capping at Badwater. Switched servers. Got 2-1 and the server dropped us. In the end, we won. With an annoying amount of effort that felt quite unnecessary. Hopefully we won't have as much trouble tomorrow.

tarbrush
2010-10-03, 04:39 PM
Congrats guys!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-03, 04:45 PM

Please leave a message for me either via PM or Steam chat as to your availability at this time. As always, don't conclude that I have received your message until I give you direct confirmation of receipt.

Please arrive 1 hour before match start time so we can set out our team composition. I will schedule the Steam Event to begin at this early time.

If this is Friday, which I think it is, I am unable to attend. I have class from 14:00 EST to 15:00 EST, and a 20 minute drive home, as per my schedule I gave our team at the start of the competition.

potatocubed
2010-10-03, 04:46 PM
October 9th is a Saturday.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-03, 04:49 PM
October 9th is a Saturday.

My math is stupid, and now I feel ashamed.

I'll be there. :smallbiggrin:

Darth Mario
2010-10-03, 04:54 PM

Will be there. This is actually going to start at 3 PM EST this time, right? Right?

Fluff & Napalm
2010-10-03, 04:58 PM
Glad we won. Disappointed that I couldn't play, but it didn't appear to be that much an issue. I am available for tomorrow's game if it starts promptly.

onasuma
2010-10-03, 05:06 PM
So, our Uber Pro team is the only team not to have won?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-03, 05:07 PM
So, our Uber Pro team is the only team not to have won?

Yes, as we tied.

This is partly due, however, to the fact that we didn't have Drolkcal or Wats around, and that Mario and I were both desperately out of practice. Our opponents were also pretty damn good, honestly...especially their damn Pyro. :smallfurious:

Treayn
2010-10-03, 05:12 PM
Match result for Cyan today, vs. Sony Defense Force:

On pl_badwater:

4-3 in our favor.

On cp_granary

3-1, or 4-1(They really just didn't care about the last round)

Good job Cyan!

MamaLuigi
2010-10-03, 05:37 PM
Match result for Cyan today, vs. Sony Defense Force:

On pl_badwater:

4-3 in our favor.

On cp_granary

3-1, or 4-1(They really just didn't care about the last round)

Good job Cyan!

Luckily you had "The chosen one" on your side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdTvN76hZGU

mightymonarch
2010-10-03, 06:51 PM
I should be home 5 minutes before the match, however, i understand the Dr G has become our Medic merc if I'm not mistaken. I can only hope she can re arrange her times to help out, only if just to make sure we aren't forced to forfeit the match.

I'm good practically every day to play starting at 1800 EST. So I'll be good to play.

Scuzzball
2010-10-03, 07:06 PM
I will be there. TWO HOURS EARLY SO I DON"T GET REPLACED JUST AS I ARRIVE.

Sleverin
2010-10-03, 07:36 PM

Hahahahaha, oh man that moment was nerve racking. I yelled chosen one since you were the only person to be near enough to heal. I'm glad that plan wirked out so well. xD

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-03, 08:38 PM

EPic Win. You need to rename your Backburner "The Chosen One."

AlterForm
2010-10-03, 10:01 PM
Please leave a message for me --> either via PM or Steam chat <-- as to your availability at this time.

Will be there. This is actually going to start at 3 PM EST this time, right? Right?

My math is stupid, and now I feel ashamed.

I'll be there. :smallbiggrin:

I will be there. TWO HOURS EARLY SO I DON"T GET REPLACED JUST AS I ARRIVE.

:smallannoyed: It helps me make sure I don 't accidently skip a post somewhere.

However, yes, I am sure we are scheduled for 3 pm eastern this time. Your confirmations have been noted.

Dogmantra
2010-10-04, 01:43 AM
This is partly due, however, to the fact ... that Mario and I were both desperately out of practice.

You forgot me in there. :smallwink:

Treayn
2010-10-04, 02:07 PM
Okay Cyan, luckily our match should be going as planned for today, with a little modification.

Cyan vs Micro Clan: Monday, Oct 4, 10:30 PM EST

Again, the leader of the other team asked me to push the time back. *sigh* 2 hours.
[hr]

Now, I'm trying to get in contact with our week 3 opponents, Cartoon Gamers.

They seem to be the most problematic opponents in our bracket, bracket 231. They beat SDF 6-0.

So just stay alert of them, download a few demos from their team page and observe them if you need to.

surikesu
2010-10-04, 02:20 PM
After watching their demos against Sony Defense Force, I can tell that week 3 is going to be a lot of "fun".

Fluff & Napalm
2010-10-04, 02:51 PM
And again, because of the time change, I can't play. :smallfurious:

NeoVid
2010-10-04, 03:10 PM
You know, what would be a cool display of sportsmanship after these games would be using one of those new thingies that gives everyone on the server a gift after the match.

Or it could be seen as trolling, since those are untradable.

Fawkes
2010-10-04, 06:26 PM
You know, what would be a cool display of sportsmanship after these games would be using one of those new thingies that gives everyone on the server a gift after the match.

Or it could be seen as trolling, since those are untradable.

I'm pretty sure they're destructible.

I'm for the idea, but who's paying for the boxes?

AlterForm
2010-10-04, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure they're destructible.

I'm for the idea, but who's paying for the boxes?

If When Valve adds a gifting function to the Steam Wallet, everyone who wants to help could contribute. Might even be able to get the opposing team to pitch in a little as well.

Fawkes
2010-10-04, 08:50 PM
Might even be able to get the opposing team to pitch in a little as well.

That probably wouldn't go over too well.

AlterForm
2010-10-04, 09:08 PM
That probably wouldn't go over too well.

"Hey guys, we're planning on buying a Big Present Thingy; throw a buck at us if you want to. We've got it covered either way, though, so no worries."

Unless you just want to buy the present and make it surprise out of sheer awesomesauce. Which would totally be okay.

[EDIT]: Actually, since Valve capped the minimum contribution at 5 dollars anyway to keep processing fees down, spreading the cost out over several people might not work at all. Unless you can directly transfer funds between wallets in arbitrary amounts...

Science Officer
2010-10-04, 10:44 PM
Match over. Cyan = very yes. :smallbiggrin:

Despite horrendous delay, we ran all over the micro clan.
A merc Drolkcal might have had something to do with it.

It was worth staying up for, but now it's time for me to get some sleep (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Napper%27s_Respite).

surikesu
2010-10-04, 10:47 PM
It's such a shame, I never even got a chance to face off against their soldier.

Ah well, here's to our victory against The Micro Clan, now let's see if we can continue our winning streak and beat Cartoon Gamers next.

Treayn
2010-10-05, 12:06 AM
That was just... too fast for words?

I do believe we won Dustbowl 6-1, and Upwards 5-0?

Great job Cyan.
[hr]

In the meantime, I'll be working on 2 things:

1) Getting in contact with Cartoon gamers to schedule a match

2) I just gave an idea to Girlfriend, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
a) SHaFT needs stress testing
b) Yellow wants to get some practice in, as shown below:

Can we, Yellow, play a practice game against someone, at some point soon.

Also, when is our next game?

Maybe practice. I'll try, but frankly getting everyone on for the actual game was hard enough last time.

And I'm thinking next Saturday, later so Zach can get in.

Mid-week practice scrim, anyone?

Worira
2010-10-05, 12:10 AM
I am down for to up withs.

surikesu
2010-10-05, 12:12 AM
I'd be up for it, practice is always a good thing. :3

Oh no
2010-10-05, 12:23 AM
oh yea guys heres my new schedule work changed it up on me...today...

Sunday 11-2 work 2-12 free
Monday 7:15-3:30 school 3:30-9:30 work 9:30-12 free
Tuesday-Thursday 7:15-3:30 school 3:30-12 free
Friday 7:15-3:30 school 3:30-9:30 work 9:30-12 free
Saturday Free

Also i was rather ragetastic over our game against the mirco clan they were so bad i wanted to have half the team leave so they stood even a tiny bit of a chance

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-05, 12:27 AM

Great job Cyan.
<hr>

I'm down for that. Schedule I posted on page 2.

Winthur
2010-10-05, 05:42 AM
I have no internet in my house until at least Wednesday (writing from school)

AT LEAST meaning that I might not be able to provide ChHa Yellow with my sneaky services this week, something that pains me dearly, but don't strike down all your hopes

I still have solid foundations for the hope that I will have everything back by Sunday or even earlier so I can practice

But should the worst happen, be on a look for some other, preferably more competent (that shouldn't be hard to find) Spy

He might not be needed but I don't want to be the cause of a turmoil similar to the one before our game with [NG]

Trust me, if it weren't for the arisen complications, there wouldn't be a chance I'd miss the match

Sincerely yours (and always on your side)

--[ChHaY]Kainozzo

EDIT: Also, my headphones are broken but that can be remedied, and I've already beaten my record as a Spy while playing deaf (22 points -> 32 points), so don't worry just because I'm too poor and Polish to buy new ones because I'm not

Also I've edited this post like 7 times because I'm really anal about it

Byrnbot08
2010-10-05, 10:51 AM

Great job Cyan.
<hr>

THIS TIME I WILL BE THERE.

This fo sho. What time again?

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-05, 04:30 PM
"Never say fo sho" is the lesson to take from this, Byrnbot. :smalltongue:

Conferred with their team leader. What I learnt was they beat the team we beat to the same extent as we did, so it's all to play for.

Treayn
2010-10-06, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking 4:00 PM EST Wednesday sometime during the weekend, since that's when everyone seems to be free.

(That's 9 PM GMT)

I'll check with others on Cyan, and try and get a final time set.

Sleverin
2010-10-06, 01:23 AM
That's 1 PM for me, can't make it.

Treayn
2010-10-06, 12:42 PM
Attention Cyan, no games scheduled for this coming weekend, read below:

Wednesday, October 06, 2010
12:42 PM - Treayn: Hey there, I'm one of the leaders of ChHa Cyan team, and we're facing off against you in week 3.
12:43 PM - [CG] Charlaweyd: Hey, yea I've seen it ;)
12:44 PM - [CG] Charlaweyd: We still need to do our second match though, I wasn't able to get a hold of the other team leader and now he was forced to do his first match this monday. I have him in my friendslist now and might do that match with him this sunday
12:44 PM - Treayn: ok, so do you want to wait for the week after then to schedule a match?
12:44 PM - Treayn: (We just played said team Monday)
12:45 PM - [CG] Charlaweyd: yea i think that would be best :)
12:45 PM - Treayn: ok then, I'll contact you in a week's time :)
12:45 PM - [CG] Charlaweyd: allright, great ;)

[hr]

Because of that, I think we can move the practice game over to the weekend.

I think we'll make it an impromptu game, where all ChHa teams are invited. That includes Yellow, Green, and Cyan.

It will be all comp settings, so in addition to nocrits and nospread, it'll be highlander format, class limit 1, best of 5 on 5CP maps, stopwatch on A/D maps, and best of 3 on KOTH maps.

Top_Hat
2010-10-06, 02:20 PM
I always knew that SHaFT was overflowing with win, but geez you guys make me smile just thinking about how well you are doing. Is there any way that I can experience the awesome too (ie: recorded games)?

mightymonarch
2010-10-06, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking 4:00 PM EST Wednesday(Tomorrow), since that's when everyone seems to be free.

(That's 9 PM GMT)

I'll check with others on Cyan, and try and get a final time set.

You mean Thursday, right? Today's Wednesday. If you really mean today, i can't make it. German test takes more importance over TF2. Also, you can't use SHaFT if you mean today.

Science Officer
2010-10-06, 04:36 PM
I always knew that SHaFT was overflowing with win, but geez you guys make me smile just thinking about how well you are doing. Is there any way that I can experience the awesome too (ie: recorded games)?

Right, here (http://etf2l.org/search/chha/)you have the three highlander teams (and Robotnik).
Follow one of those links, scroll down to "Demos", download, enjoy.

*checks* Actually, only Cyan and Green have demos uploaded.

Sleverin
2010-10-06, 08:49 PM
Next weekend is good for me official match wise. Give me a heads up on the practice time. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this somewhere, but I'm going to a con this month and will be gone from Oct. 21-24. I might be available the 24th since I would be coming home that day, but I will probably be really tuckered out.

Treayn
2010-10-07, 02:03 PM
Keep in mind that aside from recording demos and taking pictures of scores, everyone should have a status screenshot showing all the player's STEAMID's during the time of a match. This is to provide redundancy if someone(I, Slev, or Oh No) ever forgets.

Status screenshots are taken by going into console, typing 'status', and then taking a shot of all the ID's and stats on there.
[hr]

Now, what time will Green and Yellow be having their matches this weekend?

AlterForm
2010-10-07, 02:15 PM
Green is at 3 pm Eastern on Saturday

Treayn
2010-10-07, 03:17 PM
I suppose we could do a quick Yellow vs. Cyan on Saturday, Oct 7, 12-1 PM EST? That should be 5 PM GMT and 6 CEST, and it'd give us plenty of time to break in the server before Green has their match.

Byrnbot08
2010-10-07, 04:05 PM
I suppose we could do a quick Yellow vs. Cyan on Saturday, Oct 7, 12-1 PM EST? That should be 5 PM GMT and 6 CEST, and it'd give us plenty of time to break in the server before Green has their match.

KICK ARSE.

Cyan's gonna be green with envy when we Yellows show them our Jarate Skills!

OH AND ALSO: No Polycount weapons ('cept the Mackerel,) and follow standard procedure; Pre/postgame screenshots and pregame status screenshots, record demos.

Are the frying pans allowed?

mightymonarch
2010-10-07, 04:32 PM

Can't 100% speak for drol, but I know I probably won't be able to make it, ie, unless drol can, you can't use SHaFT.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-08, 11:48 AM
Yellow's match is scheduled now for Sunday, 8.30 in Britain, 3.30 in EST.

Not sure if we'll be able to get in for a practice, to be honest, Yellow has commitments coming out the wazoo.

Fawkes
2010-10-08, 01:39 PM
What's our lineup?

NeoVid
2010-10-08, 03:40 PM
Not sure. Since 12:30 Sunday is no problem for me to make, I'll be there if you need a sub. I'd prefer Soldier, Scout or Spy, but I can contribute as pretty much any class but Sniper, Pyro or Demo.

Winthur
2010-10-08, 03:44 PM
OK, I'm pretty sure I will be able to comfortably make it on Sunday, so I will be the Spy once again. :smallsmile:

mightymonarch
2010-10-08, 03:46 PM

Can't 100% speak for drol, but I know I probably won't be able to make it, ie, unless drol can, you can't use SHaFT.

This is cool, except you be able to use SHaFT. drolkcal is busy until Sunday evening, and I'll mostly likely be busy with my own things to get done. Unless Alter can run the configs. IDK if we gave him those permissions.

Fawkes
2010-10-08, 04:01 PM
Not sure. Since 12:30 Sunday is no problem for me to make, I'll be there if you need a sub. I'd prefer Soldier, Scout or Spy, but I can contribute as pretty much any class but Sniper, Pyro or Demo.

Feel free to sub for me as Soldier. I won't be available.

(Also, you're probably a better soldier than I am.)

Etcetera
2010-10-08, 04:04 PM
I'll be able to make it, unless something really unexpected happens...

Fawkes
2010-10-08, 04:07 PM
I'll be able to make it, unless something really unexpected happens...

Suddenly, Tanks.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-08, 04:42 PM
Scout: Scorp
Soldier: NeoVid
Pyro: Dread Cthulhu
Demo: Zach
Heavy: Worira
Engineer: Crown
Medic: (Griever)(Azimer)
Sniper: Byrnbot08

is the lineup I'm working with now. Griever has something else booked for Sunday but he didn't entirely rule it out, so the offer goes to him first. If he'd rather do the other thing then Azimer will be our Medic.

Worira
2010-10-08, 04:49 PM
Note that I'm actually a better medic than heavy, so it might be worth subbing potato in for me and having me go medic.

AlterForm
2010-10-08, 05:31 PM

Rettu Skcollob: Avatar riding Derpy Hooves Complete!
Thanquol: Ponyfied this thing (kojiro.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d30902z) Complete!
Hawkflight: Fluttershy snuggling a cat of darkness (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/279/6/9/commission__hawkflight_fax_by_yuekimura-d2xbgau.jpg) Complete!
Drascin: Unicorn/Pegasus Byakuran Hijiri (Guest Artist: Irbis!)
Gaelbert: DJ Pon-3 Complete!
darthbobcat: 'Professor Hooves (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10483443&postcount=43)' Complete!
ZombyWoof: Personalized blue unicorn (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10483490&postcount=45) Complete!
pffh: Ponyfied Death (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10483490&postcount=45) from Discworld Complete!
Introbulus: Pony enjoying a keyboard pillow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10484440&postcount=69) Guest Artist: Alarra! Complete!
CurlyKitGirl: Purple unicorn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10484574&postcount=72), kittycat a necessity
Lix Lorn: Custom pony, or Ponyrexia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10492559&postcount=169)
SiuiS: Magic User pony (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10491415#post10491415)
Xanatos: Custom pony (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10493900&postcount=179)
Fawkes: Dapper (http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8711/dapper.png) Pony (http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/8770/dapper3.png)

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-08, 05:46 PM
Again, I can't really ever make anything in the middle of the day like that. I have work. You'll need to find a sub for me.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-08, 06:01 PM
Aw crap, my misunderstanding. Okay then, Azimer will be Demo and Griever/Worira is Medic.

Scorpionica
2010-10-08, 06:30 PM
Something really unexpected happened on my end, and I won't be able to play reliably (i.e. with more than 10 FPS), so I'll have to drop out for the following match. I'm sorry if this comes out inconveniently. :c

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-09, 09:47 AM
Today at 3pm EST, correct?

I may not make it the full hour early...I have a lot of stuff to do. Probably more like 2:30 EST for me.

AlterForm
2010-10-09, 10:02 AM
Today at 3pm EST, correct?

I may not make it the full hour early...I have a lot of stuff to do. Probably more like 2:30 EST for me.

Yes, and that's fine.

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-09, 10:52 AM
Whatever weirdness happens, I'll be online just in case.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-09, 11:33 AM
JUGGLING

JUGGLING SOME PEOPLE, UH HUH

Scout: Azimer
Soldier: NeoVid
Pyro: Atheist
Demo: Dread Cthulhu
Heavy: Potato
Engineer: Crown
Medic: Worira
Sniper: Byrnbot08

is my current list. Subject to whether Griever wants in as Medic, but judging by his message I'd guess not. But if he does, he gets Medic and Worira goes back to Heavy.

Also, the other team STILL haven't confirmed the time, so we don't have a server yet.

Also also, allow me to put this in as big a font as is reasonable:

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR

Before we had enough reserves that the no-shows could be replaced. EVERYONE IS ACCOUNTED FOR HERE. If someone doesn't show, we're into merc-hiring territory and frankly that's more stress than I want to go to. Also also also, from what little contact I've had with the oppositon, they seem more serious and less likely to give us as much time as we need to find replacements.

Worira
2010-10-09, 11:49 AM
Just posting to confirm that I can, in fact, make the match.

AlterForm
2010-10-09, 01:07 PM
ChHa Green match begins in just under an hour from this post.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-09, 03:02 PM
Green lost 1 game to TF2 Wiki...because we fell apart mid-game, which just should not have happened. Djinn is annoyed.

Game 2 still has to be played.

Dogmantra
2010-10-09, 03:45 PM
Green lost 1 game to TF2 Wiki...because we fell apart mid-game, which just should not have happened. Djinn is annoyed.

Game 2 still has to be played.

Game 2 was a roll. We destroyed them on Granary, even though our sexy Medic dropped...

Twice.

tarbrush
2010-10-09, 03:50 PM
This is gonna be a fun group if no-one manages to get their finger out and win :)

AlterForm
2010-10-09, 04:38 PM
Good job today Green. Someone bug me tomorrow to set up our match against the third team.

Also, if you want to make a request to be considered in scheduling the match, please do so. If you haven't played at all in a match yet, note that as well; even though we're still the "serious" ChHa team I don't want to let any go without playing in the tourney unless they want to, and so you'll get priority in the lineup and in accommodating your schedule (if possible).

Winthur
2010-10-10, 01:31 AM
I just realized that when Dread Cthulhu says that the game is at 3:30 EST, then he probably means the PM time. >_>

Seriously, the moment he posted the date, I was awfully sure that you guys in the Eagleland will stay up until late. O_o

Scuzzball
2010-10-10, 10:45 AM
I just realized that when Dread Cthulhu says that the game is at 3:30 EST, then he probably means the PM time. >_>

Seriously, the moment he posted the date, I was awfully sure that you guys in the Eagleland will stay up until late. O_o

This is why 12 hour systems SHOULD NEVER BE USED. Seriously. Also, never use the Imperial system.

mightymonarch
2010-10-10, 10:54 AM
This is why 12 hour systems SHOULD NEVER BE USED. Seriously. Also, never use the Imperial system.

Soooo much easier to say 1530 hours instead 3:30 and be ambiguous about AM or PM.

AlterForm
2010-10-10, 12:04 PM
Just had a little chat with the Team Captain of Cat Force One about Team Bad Guy:

Bikko: yo
[ChHaG] AlterForm: Hey
[ChHaG] AlterForm: what's up?
Bikko: you are playing against TBG next, correct?
[ChHaG] AlterForm: Indeed we are
Bikko: we had some serious trouble with them because they kept disconnecting before maps
Bikko: so we waited longer than the time they'd actually have had because we're nice
Bikko: and then at some point they disconnected mid-game
Bikko: left us on pause for 10 minutes
Bikko: we could've unpaused really but we decided not to so whatever
[ChHaG] AlterForm: hmmm
Bikko: and then suddenly unpaused giving us like a milisecond worth of time
Bikko: completely breaking the push (they paused mid-push) and getting our scout killed (who had a medic on his screen for 10 minutes)
Bikko: match ended after that because my entire team was too angry to want to play anymore
[ChHaG] AlterForm: alright, thank you for the heads up. I'll see how my team will want to handle them if that happens again.
Bikko: my advice is don't be nice to them about waiting times

So, ChHa Green, I want to know how you guys feel about how we should act if TBG exceeds the set time limits on pauses, etc. If you want to make a public argument go ahead and post it here, otherwise send me a vote/argument/etc via PM here on the forums (not via Steam) by the time of the match (which is probably Saturday sometime, but hasn't been scheduled just yet).

Dogmantra
2010-10-10, 12:07 PM
Not to be a poor sportsman, but I say we should be very strict: we could really do with the 2-0 here, and a default victory would be fantastic.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-10, 12:09 PM
Not to be a poor sportsman, but I say we should be very strict: we could really do with the 2-0 here, and a default victory would be fantastic.

Agreed. Especially since it seems that they weren't very sportsmanlike about their problems, or unpausing.

Darth Mario
2010-10-10, 12:11 PM

I'm entirely with Dogmantra here. Especially as TBG used the pause to exploit a victory against CF1, I don't feel bad at all playing strict pause rules against them. Wiki, sure, I would have, as we know they're decent folks, but...

Edit: Just so we're all clear, the rules for delay of game work like this. If TBG cannot field a full team in 15 minutes of the scheduled start time, then we can be awarded a Default Win, which nets us both matches. Likewise, if they cannot field a full team after 10 minutes of a map change, we can get a Default Win for that map only. They are allowed one pause per map, and that pause may be at most 5 minutes long. In addition, they have to request the pause for us to perform, though we must grant the request. After five minutes, we can unpause the game, even if their player has not returned, though we should give warning that we are about to do so.

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-10, 12:13 PM
There's a pause button in the competition?!

Arbitrarity
2010-10-10, 12:14 PM
Yeah. Any such BS, just claim default. It's not as unsportsmanlike as what they seem to be doing.

Dogmantra
2010-10-10, 12:19 PM
There's a pause button in the competition?!

One five minute pause per map per team. You MUST pause within 15 seconds of it being requested if it's their allotted pause. I believe you're allowed to give them extra pauses but you don't have to.

potatocubed
2010-10-10, 01:12 PM
Is there a pause button, or do you just stop doing things?

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-10, 01:29 PM
Is there a pause button, or do you just stop doing things?

I assume its a button, because we saw how "Stop Doing Things" worked during the Class Wars Heavy West Side Story Incident.

Etcetera
2010-10-10, 01:32 PM
Despite a weekend in Yorkshire, a delayed train, a broken power supply and my router being bolshy I'm online in time to play Highlander. Now all I have to do is hope I don't lose connection to my loadout and that my mic works.

Oh happy days...

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-10, 01:34 PM
I'd say don't give them the benefit of the doubt.

On a related note, the team we're about to play. They haven't done anything WRONG as such, but when I talked to their leader about their first game (against the team we beat) they were not nice about it. Remember how we were gracious in victory and acknowledged their fine sportsmanship? And didn't call them...well, to put it politely, bad? None of that here. They seem a great deal more serious than our last match as well.

AlterForm
2010-10-10, 01:42 PM
There's a pause command in the console that, well, does exactly what it says on the tin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin).

Also, I figured you guys would respond Re: TBG as such, but wanted to put it up to the team to be sure. Thanks for weighing in.

potatocubed
2010-10-10, 01:47 PM
Does it just pause me, or pause everybody?

AlterForm
2010-10-10, 02:00 PM
It pauses the server. It pauses it so hard, even, that every client currently connected only has "time" for a single console command worth of action, be it a chat message or an actual command. Anything a client tries to do after that is delayed until the unpause command goes through.

NeoVid
2010-10-10, 03:38 PM
Yellow's match didn't work, because we played on Shaft, and matches on Shaft automatically end after one team gets 5 caps, even on Dustbowl or Payload.

Winthur
2010-10-10, 03:46 PM
*sits in a corner*

*says nothing*

*simply cries*

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-10, 03:50 PM
I have never seen so much victory dangled only to be snatched away.

NeoVid
2010-10-10, 04:00 PM
I have never seen so much victory dangled only to be snatched away.

True. Except for the round where one of us was disconnected, we were undefeated.

Arggh.

Maybe we should have just gone for the DQ on the other team...

potatocubed
2010-10-10, 04:03 PM
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

To push for a DQ because one guy on the other team made a stupid mistake would make us *******s.

Fawkes
2010-10-10, 04:05 PM
So what does that mean for the team? Are we going to have to reschedule, or do we forfeit for messing up with the server, or what?

Worira
2010-10-10, 04:06 PM
Rescheduling, I believe.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-10, 04:08 PM
Okay, here's the rundown for people who weren't there:

We started playing, people noticed their Pyro was using the Degreaser, which is banned in this tournament. I paused the game and we decided to reset the round. Because that didn't happen for a while, we ran out of time on attacking and then were beaten on defense and the map appeared to reset.

We then played as attack, which went completely as normal until we captured the fifth point, when we automatically won and the server declared that we had won by the "required difference". We thought this was due to the earlier mishap, and got drolkcal to reset the server.

Then the exact same thing happened again; as soon as we got point 5, we won by the required difference.

We're rescheduling for sometime next week.

drolkcal
2010-10-10, 04:10 PM
the reason it kept ending at 5 is because I ran the etf2l.cfg not the etf2l_sp.cfg after i changed the map to dustbowl to set it up. Sorry. I'm surprised nobody noticed it wasn't stopwatch though during the game.

other news, natasha/sandman/wrangler unlocks are no longer allowed on shaft in the default config.

Again my apologies, i wasn't really paying attention while you guys were playing.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-10, 04:13 PM
the reason it kept ending at 5 is because I ran the etf2l.cfg not the etf2l_sp.cfg after i changed the map to dustbowl to set it up. Sorry. I'm surprised nobody noticed it wasn't stopwatch though during the game.

Ah, that would explain it. And probably the reason we didn't notice was because it's the community challenge and we're all pretty illiterate when it comes to that sort of thing.

Byrnbot08
2010-10-10, 04:16 PM
The only compensation I can give is this:

I still owe all you lugs on Yellow a drink.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-10, 04:21 PM
Hey look on the bright side here.

A, we played pretty damn well I thought. Considering most of us were playing classes we're not as adept as, we managed to capture every point possible twice. And against a really good team as well.

B, it's practice. It's group cohesion. We worked well together as a team, giving credit where credit was due. I think we're a much stronger team because of it.

C, we got a look at our opponents. We figured out what sort of people they are, and while I wouldn't want to make a group judgement on them, I'm now really really hoping we win.

D, Azimer gave everyone gifts! It was a lovely moment at one of the low points of it, and I think I'm gonna rename that Sandvich and keep it as a memento. :smallbiggrin:

E, it means that we get another chance to schedule it so people who haven't played at all get a go. I never liked the idea that some of our main players might not have got a chance to play, and so now they might do.

So, all in all, it could have worked out a lot worse than it did. The battle's done, and we kind of won, so we sound our victory cheer.

Fawkes
2010-10-10, 05:13 PM
other news, natasha/sandman/wrangler unlocks are no longer allowed on shaft in the default config.

wait what

why

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-10, 05:29 PM
Hey look on the bright side here.

A, we played pretty damn well I thought. Considering most of us were playing classes we're not as adept as, we managed to capture every point possible twice. And against a really good team as well.

B, it's practice. It's group cohesion. We worked well together as a team, giving credit where credit was due. I think we're a much stronger team because of it.

You're right. This is halfway through the movie right before the training montage.

drolkcal
2010-10-10, 07:33 PM
wait what

why

these were chosen because they are cevo banned

Fawkes
2010-10-10, 07:49 PM

Yeah, but they're allowed in ETF2L. I don't think we're allowed to ban things that they allow.

drolkcal
2010-10-10, 09:33 PM
Yeah, but they're allowed in ETF2L. I don't think we're allowed to ban things that they allow.

the plugin that restricts them is turned off with the etf2l config. this is not related to etf2l

edit: sorry probably should have posted this in the server thread not highlander

mightymonarch
2010-10-10, 09:34 PM

It's for the general server setup. It gets disabled with the Highlander configs.

Ninja'd by drol.

Fawkes
2010-10-11, 07:20 AM
Oh, okay.

But still.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-11, 01:58 PM

The Djinn does not approve. Still, it's your choice in the end. :smallbiggrin:

Darth Mario
2010-10-11, 02:06 PM

I'd like to ask the reasoning for using competitive rules for a pub server, as the competitive rules are designed to improve a certain game mode that isn't the one that this server is set up to play. Your average scout isn't going to be able to aim with the sandman to hit every shot in a pub, for example. Can someone please explain this to me?

Aron Times
2010-10-11, 02:17 PM
Not a highlander player, but are you sure you want to arbitrarily ban those three weapons? I mean, it's your server and all, but I'm getting the Stop Having Fun Guys (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys) vibe from this announcement. This change won't actually affect me, as I only play medic or spy, but I oppose this on principle.

blackfox
2010-10-11, 02:26 PM
I'm fairly sure that those three unlocks also fall under Stop Having Fun, Guys for a large number of people, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that may also be a contributing factor to why those three weapons were banned.

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-11, 02:31 PM
I'm fairly sure that those three unlocks also fall under Stop Having Fun, Guys for a large number of people, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that may also be a contributing factor to why those three weapons were banned.

Blackfox has got it right.

Also, Shaft has always been the more serious of the two servers. What with having a smaller player capacity, having no random crits (thank you so much drolkcal), and having more serious (imho-- better) maps. None of that stupid lil' chew chew crap. I think it was only a logical step to take.

onasuma
2010-10-11, 02:31 PM
Sandman, I support its banning, have done since its release. Natascha, fine, not too bothered, same with the wrangler. What makes me upset is the fact the rasorback is still fair game. It shouldnt exist!

Scuzzball
2010-10-11, 02:35 PM
Sandman, I support its banning, have done since its release. Natascha, fine, not too bothered, same with the wrangler. What makes me upset is the fact the rasorback is still fair game. It shouldnt exist!

Well yes, but it's use only hurts the sniper. Nobody else.

Fawkes
2010-10-11, 02:35 PM
I'm starting to remember why I don't play on Shaft...

potatocubed
2010-10-11, 02:40 PM
Good job we have a whole other server, right there...

Fawkes
2010-10-11, 02:41 PM
Good job we have a whole other server, right there...

I know, right! How convenient!

onasuma
2010-10-11, 02:41 PM
It hurts the spy as well. And the other people who have to know that if they win it is tarnished with failure and hatred.

Worira
2010-10-11, 02:43 PM
It really doesn't hurt the spy. At all. That's kind of the point.

onasuma
2010-10-11, 02:43 PM
It hurts our points!

Fawkes
2010-10-11, 02:44 PM
Not if you use the Ambassador.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-11, 02:44 PM
Not a highlander player, but are you sure you want to arbitrarily ban those three weapons? I mean, it's your server and all, but I'm getting the Stop Having Fun Guys (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys) vibe from this announcement. This change won't actually affect me, as I only play medic or spy, but I oppose this on principle.

Then I'd recommend ChHa, personally. :smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2010-10-11, 02:46 PM
Then I'd recommend ChHa, personally. :smallbiggrin:

Or mine and Mario's server that we're starting. It's called "Actually just play on ChHa".

Aron Times
2010-10-11, 02:46 PM
What exactly is wrong with the Wrangler, the Natascha, and the Sandman?

Dogmantra
2010-10-11, 02:47 PM
What exactly is wrong with the Wrangler, the Natascha, and the Sandman?

In competitive play? They tend to lead to stalemates. People are afraid to peek because they might get stunned/slowed and focused down, and the Wrangler requires an uber to destroy if you've only got 6 on your team (or you have to switch someone out to a utility, in this case a Sniper or Spy to take the Engi, which is a waste). In larger pub play? Absolutely nothing.

onasuma
2010-10-11, 02:48 PM
Not if you use the Ambassador.

Well, no one does, so its still an issue.

Aron Times
2010-10-11, 02:49 PM
How exactly do they lead to stalemates? I genuinely want to know, so anyone who replies, spare me the hyperbole.

Worira
2010-10-11, 02:52 PM
The Sandman: Honestly, I've never really found this to be a problem in pubs. In comp games, however, it's notable for effectively being a one-hit-kill on everyone ever.

The Wrangler: The hard limit on a sentry's range is one of its primary balancing factors. Add that to double damage and utter indestructibility, and you've got a broken unlock.

Natascha: As far as I know, this is the only weapon Robin's ever publicly stated to be stupid.

Dogmantra
2010-10-11, 02:53 PM
How exactly do they lead to stalemates? I genuinely want to know, so anyone who replies, spare me the hyperbole.

See my edit.

In a team with as much co-ordination as your standard CEVO fare, being slowed or stunned doesn't just mean maybe taking a bit more damage, it means you WILL be focused to death, and your standard CEVO fare will have better aim than a pub in general, so you'll get hit 90% of the time when peeking around a corner. Since knowledge of positioning is a huge part of the game, removing people's willingness to gain this knowledge means the two teams are sat there waiting for the other to make a move. The Sandman also has the effect of preventing skilled Medics from popping to save themselves from a pick. The fear of doing a key part of the game is the same reason some leagues like to ban the Direct Hit - rocket jumping is such an integral part that giving people a reason not to slows the game down.

The Wrangler, in a CEVO level team, will make the sentry invincible. A guard or two, plus the shield means it will never go down unless you a) uber, wasting 40 seconds or b) switch a team-mate to Sniper or Spy and manage a kill on the Engi, which is another big waste.

blackfox
2010-10-11, 02:54 PM
Well, no one does, so its still an issue.IIRC drolkcal at least does. I'm sure there's others. Jibar probably does. As for more serious Spy players, I haven't played TF2 in long enough to remember.

EDIT: Nano uses the standard revolver. I think the deciding factor for a lot of people is if you can reliably headshot.

Worira
2010-10-11, 02:55 PM
I do. Razorback snipers are laughable.

Fawkes
2010-10-11, 03:04 PM
I regularly switch between all four spy guns. And all three watches. And both knives.

drolkcal
2010-10-11, 03:10 PM
I'd like to ask the reasoning for using competitive rules for a pub server, as the competitive rules are designed to improve a certain game mode that isn't the one that this server is set up to play. Your average scout isn't going to be able to aim with the sandman to hit every shot in a pub, for example. Can someone please explain this to me?

I am removing them for the same reason crits are off. imo it is not fun for be killed by random crits. random spread is not fun. being killed by these weapons is not fun.

ChHa has the alternative ruleset for those who like crits etc so I feel this is fine on Shaft.

This has nothing to do with highlander. Sorry again for putting this in the wrong thread.

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-11, 03:18 PM
The whole ChHa is better that is running around this thread is entirely unnecessary. We get it, you like chha. Go play there. But be a little more courteous, Drolkcal and Dr. Girlfriend have made a second server for the gitp community to use. Remember how everyone was complaining about never getting on chha and it always being full, yeah. If anything we should be thanking them for their generosity, not criticizing their decisions on how to run their server.

Sorry for being off highlander topic, maybe this discussion should be moved to the server thread?

Darth Mario
2010-10-11, 03:21 PM
I am removing them for the same reason crits are off. imo it is not fun for be killed by random crits. random spread is not fun. being killed by these weapons is not fun.

ChHa has the alternative ruleset for those who like crits etc so I feel this is fine on Shaft.

All right. Don't expect to see me on SHaFT again in the future.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-11, 03:22 PM
The whole ChHa is better that is running around this thread is entirely unnecessary.

...never once have I said that, Zach. I prefer ChHa, but I've never said it's better, nor will I. It's just different. I also, however, happen to like it more, and, since people were commenting on the weapon ban, I felt it was appropriate to mention the alternative.

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-11, 03:26 PM
...never once have I said that, Zach. I prefer ChHa, but I've never said it's better, nor will I. It's just different. I also, however, happen to like it more, and, since people were commenting on the weapon ban, I felt it was appropriate to mention the alternative.

Look one post up from yours.

Aron Times
2010-10-11, 04:00 PM
Tone down the elitism, Zach. Providing constructive criticism is not being ungrateful to the admins. If anything, it's what makes the server better in the long run.

Being an admin on a Team Fortress 2 server is a lot like DMing. The DM is free to impose whatever house rules he wants, but if the players don't agree with them, they (the players) are not going to play. Basically, this ban on the Natascha, the Wrangler, and the Sandman sets a dangerous precedent, that the admins are free to ban whoever or whatever they don't agree with.

Like I said, this change is not going to affect me at all. I'm just worried about the whole thing jumping off the slippery slope. One time in SHaFT, I heard people talking about how the Dead Ringer was overpowered because it made you virtually invincible. Is the Dead Ringer going to be banned as well?

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-11, 04:04 PM
Guys, please go have this discussion in the other thread.

Negotiating with their captain about when to reschedule it. Zach, could you say when you're gonna be available this week?

Mtg_player_zach
2010-10-11, 04:24 PM
Certainly,
Tues: 11-6
Wed: 10-6
Thurs:1045-645
Fri:11-6
Sat: Off, but I have a party, so Sat won't work.

Darth Mario
2010-10-11, 04:24 PM
Look one post up from yours.

Yes. I was letting Drolkal know that this change is just enough against what I want from a server to make me stop playing on SHaFT. ChHa is more geared towards what I'm looking for, by far, at this point: a less serious community and the ability to play the loadouts I choose.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-11, 04:45 PM
Time for Yellow's game is up in the air still.

Zach, to be completely honest, I'd love to get you in but I'm not sure how well it would work with everyone else's schedules.

Probably Saturday or Sunday, but the sooner everyone can check in on when they can make it the better. I don't think any other days would work because of timezones.

Sorry for just, Steam conked out on me.

NeoVid
2010-10-11, 04:56 PM
I can make it on either day of the weekend, so long as I know the chosen day ahead of time.

The time we were scheduled to start last time was much easier for me than starting earlier would have been.

What are we going to do for a server? Our opponents probably won't be willing to play on Shaft again.

Griever
2010-10-11, 09:58 PM
Time for Yellow's game is up in the air still.

Zach, to be completely honest, I'd love to get you in but I'm not sure how well it would work with everyone else's schedules.

Probably Saturday or Sunday, but the sooner everyone can check in on when they can make it the better. I don't think any other days would work because of timezones.

Sorry for just, Steam conked out on me.

For once I'm actually completely and fully available on a Sunday. Of course, with my luck, this is the one Sunday no one can make. :smallamused:

Treayn
2010-10-12, 11:54 AM
The bans on Wrangler, Sandman, and Natascha on SHaFT will not be a good thing for highlander.

Most of the comp players from ChHa are fine with it, including me.

Other players from other highlander teams, however, may not be. They may even refuse to use SHaFT because of those weapon bans, and now we're a server down, and have to find a new/league server at the last minute.

Dogmantra
2010-10-12, 12:01 PM
The bans on Wrangler, Sandman, and Natascha on SHaFT will not be a good thing for highlander.

Most of the comp players from ChHa are fine with it, including me.

Other players from other highlander teams, however, may not be. They may even refuse to use SHaFT because of those weapon bans, and now we're a server down, and have to find a new/league server at the last minute.

For what it's worth, the plugin for ETF2L turns off those bans.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-12, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth, the plugin for ETF2L turns off those bans.

Correct. However, ChHaG needs to find another server for our games, as Dogmantra and Onasuma having connection issues definitely cost us at least one game.

Treayn
2010-10-12, 12:14 PM
I see that now, my apologies.

onasuma
2010-10-12, 12:19 PM
Correct. However, ChHaG needs to find another server for our games, as Dogmantra and Onasuma having connection issues definitely cost us at least one game.

A laggy spy is clearly an assett to every team there is out there.

AlterForm
2010-10-12, 12:21 PM
A laggy spy is clearly an assett to every team there is out there.

It was fun joking about how your lag was OP.

onasuma
2010-10-12, 12:27 PM
Facestabbing their heavy as their medic popped an uber was definatly a highlight.

Dogmantra
2010-10-12, 12:33 PM
The Onasumaliser
+ User's effectiveness increases as latency worsens
- While held, blocks network improvements

onasuma
2010-10-12, 03:05 PM
If we get an EU server next time, I may start up a download or 6 before we start... (I jest, I jest)

AlterForm
2010-10-12, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know when our third match has to be played by? I'm probably overlooking some little Subsection D somewhere, but I can't find any description of when matches have to happen other than the third match being "Week 3."

Darth Mario
2010-10-12, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know when our third match has to be played by? I'm probably overlooking some little Subsection D somewhere, but I can't find any description of when matches have to happen other than the third match being "Week 3."

The calendar page says that Sunday the 17th is the week 3 deadline. Any luck with getting in contact with Team Totally Flaky?

AlterForm
2010-10-12, 07:51 PM
The calendar page says that Sunday the 17th is the week 3 deadline. Any luck with getting in contact with Team Totally Flaky?

No. It's midterm week here, so I've been putting it off. Plus, this coming weekend is fall break so I'll be headed home with the family and may or may not be available to play, so the team might be down its main pyro.

You guys should nag me tomorrow to set the match up. Just send me a bunch of messages on Steam until I get fed up with being reminded and get off my ass.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-10-14, 07:31 AM
Guys, I'm gonna have to level with you.

I have a lot on at the moment. I don't think I have time to do everything while organising a time and place for the game.

As such, I'm looking for someone else on ChHa Yellow to pick up the job of finding a suitable time for the game and booking a server.

I'm really sorry about this.

Treayn
2010-10-14, 10:35 AM
Attention ChHa Cyan: Our match with Cartoon Gamers is scheduled for Sunday, Oct 17, 2 PM EST. Please tell me in advance if you can make it or not.

Hopefully this will also be the first match in which we get to use SHaFT.

Matchlink (http://etf2l.org/matches/21805/)

Dogmantra
2010-10-14, 10:38 AM
Attention ChHa Green!

Our next match, due to us not bugging Alter enough has been assigned a default date and time which is: Sunday, 17 October 2010, 22:00.

That time is at the European standard so what that means for us is 21:00 GMT+1 (UKers). I'm afraid you'll have to work out your own time from that.

Make sure to arrive at least an hour in advance.

Darth Mario
2010-10-14, 10:42 AM
Attention ChHa Green!

Our next match, due to us not bugging Alter enough has been assigned a default date and time which is: Sunday, 17 October 2010, 22:00.

That time is at the European standard so what that means for us is 21:00 GMT+1 (UKers). I'm afraid you'll have to work out your own time from that.

Make sure to arrive at least an hour in advance.

Attention East Cost US players: The match will start at 18:00 EST (6:00 PM). I assume that we will be meeting an hour ahead of time in the Steam chat to plan, so be there at 17:00 EST!

OR BE SQUARE. MAGGOTS.

AlterForm
2010-10-14, 10:48 AM
Thanks for posting the announcement, Dog.

Also:

ChHa Green: Speak to me ASAP regarding you availability at the scheduled time!

TBG is still unresponsive, so if we can field a full team at that time we might pick up the default win with considerably less guilt on our end (since TBG is rather sketchy on the whole showing-up-thing anyway).

If we can't field at a team at that time, I really need to know ASAP so I can keep trying to contact TBG or, worse to worst, use our wildcard to reschedule to a time we can make it to.

Also also, Mario, are you sure you converted right? The match will be at 2 PM my time (Mountain), and Eastern is only 2 hours later than me, so...

Snowstorm
2010-10-14, 10:56 AM
EST is currently GMT-4... does GMT = Dog's '22:00 European Standard Time'?

I'm guessing not, since his GMT+1 time is an hour behind?

If 'European Standard' is GMT+2, then EST will be at 16:00

This shouldn't really be this hard, dagnabbit.

Dogmantra
2010-10-14, 11:06 AM
EST is currently GMT-4... does GMT = Dog's '22:00 European Standard Time'?

I'm guessing not, since his GMT+1 time is an hour behind?

If 'European Standard' is GMT+2, then EST will be at 16:00

This shouldn't really be this hard, dagnabbit.
The time they use is GMT+2 as far as I am aware.

onasuma
2010-10-14, 11:12 AM
ChHa Green: Speak to me ASAP regarding you availability at the scheduled time!

Im good for that time.

tarbrush
2010-10-14, 11:45 AM
I'm available then.

Fluff & Napalm
2010-10-14, 12:05 PM
I'm good. Assuming the time doesn't get changed again. :smalltongue:

AlterForm
2010-10-14, 02:17 PM
ChHa Green Match Server Reservation:
IP: 85.236.102.40:27615
Pass: As usual, available on request
Oct 17, 2010, 22:00 CEST

NeoVid
2010-10-14, 03:08 PM
As such, I'm looking for someone else on ChHa Yellow to pick up the job of finding a suitable time for the game and booking a server.

I have very little access to the net, so it can't be me. Also, unless I'm told by tomorrow (Friday) which day of the weekend our game will be, I'll just have to hope it's on Sunday, when I was planning to play anyway.

Scuzzball
2010-10-14, 04:07 PM
I should be there, but I'm starting pieces of my eagle project that day. Those pieces should be done far in advance of that, but a warning. If I don't reply soon on steam, look for replacement.

drolkcal
2010-10-14, 05:14 PM
ChHa Green Match Server Reservation:
IP: 85.236.102.40:27615
Pass: As usual, available on request
Oct 17, 2010, 22:00 CEST

This is 4PM EST. I can play.

Arbitrarity
2010-10-14, 05:22 PM
YEAAAAAH

Also, available.

onasuma
2010-10-14, 05:22 PM
And thus we secure ourselves a win. jinxed

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-15, 04:54 AM

I have a lot on at the moment. I don't think I have time to do everything while organising a time and place for the game.

Life happens, Cthulhu. Totally understandable.

Let's respond, team. I have no idea how to find a server or do the adminy thingie. Sound off; ANYONE else have an idea? Let's not all look at the post and assume someone else will do it for us.

Treayn
2010-10-15, 10:20 AM
As to how I run Cyan (Badly):

Keep a roster in excel, with their STEAMID's and preferably schedules.

Friend the captains of other teams and speak to them at least half a week in advance, to set up match times.

Go to the #etf2l channel in irc and type in !admin. When the admin finally responds, ask him for a server reservation. Be sure to specify time and time zone.

When in a match, your demos, status, and match result screenshots are the ones going up on the site, since you are one of the team leaders.

Demos from the rest of your team are for cheating accusations, and screenshots from them are for backup, if you forget to take a picture yourself.

I repeat, you need you and your whole team to get status screenshots and match result screenshots. I cannot stress this enough.

Get acquainted with the rules for highlander, with map winconditions/winlimit, when you can use mercs, etc. Get acquainted with the other team as well, observe their match history, and you'll know a decent team from a good team.

And last, add me and Dogmantra if you need any more advice.

AlterForm
2010-10-15, 03:18 PM
ChHa Green:

Our opponents' team captain has sort of made contact with me. He managed to friend me on Steam and submit another time for the match. Since we already scheduled a server and have confirmed at least 9 players (hopefully more can make it, or else we could make do with mercs) I will not be accepting his reschedule. Our time stands as previously noted. They may play their wildcard to forcibly reschedule, so keep your schedules relatively open.

NeoVid
2010-10-15, 04:01 PM
Try to schedule Yellow's game for Sunday, so I can be there.

onasuma
2010-10-15, 04:06 PM
ChHa Green:

Our opponents' team captain has sort of made contact with me. He managed to friend me on Steam and submit another time for the match. Since we already scheduled a server and have confirmed at least 9 players (hopefully more can make it, or else we could make do with mercs) I will not be accepting his reschedule. Our time stands as previously noted. They may play their wildcard to forcibly reschedule, so keep your schedules relatively open.

What other time did they want? There are only another 48 hours to do it in, and Im free for them, but still be nice to know when it might be.

AlterForm
2010-10-15, 04:14 PM
They want to play 8 hours earlier than the currently scheduled time. 1400 CEST; 0800 Eastern.

I think its easier for our European players to manage an evening game than it is for our American players to manage a morning game, so I see nor reason to change it.

Fawkes
2010-10-15, 04:20 PM

Has anyone spoken up about this? I don't have a lot of free time, either, but someone needs to be scheduling.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-15, 04:22 PM
They want to play 8 hours earlier than the currently scheduled time. 1400 CEST; 0800 Eastern.

I think its easier for our European players to manage an evening game than it is for our American players to manage a morning game, so I see nor reason to change it.

Agreed. I can't promise I'd be up then.

onasuma
2010-10-15, 04:38 PM

I agree, 8 hours is as long as Im awake for...

Azimer the Mad
2010-10-15, 05:22 PM
Has anyone spoken up about this? I don't have a lot of free time, either, but someone needs to be scheduling.

I just got home from teaching, and friends are already here for my D&D game. I won't have any time until 12 EST tomorrow.

Treayn, from whomever picks up the gauntlet, THANK YOU. I can't this week, but even I could do that in the future with those clear instructions.

Dogmantra
2010-10-15, 07:55 PM

While I can make the later time, I'd rather play before 8 (my time, so 3pm EST), as that's when I start to have lag issues.