PDA

View Full Version : Illuminance

Pages : [1] 2 3

Devmaar
2010-10-11, 05:17 PM
You stand at the edge of a small town. The buildings are unusual in style, the ground floors built in stone with upper levels built in wood. (Knowledge: Architecture&Engineering or History checks if you have them). There is one building larger than the others and set away from the town over to your left. A few people are moving about the streets but, unusually for a small community like this, your arrival does not seem to have generated much interest.

A sign outside one of the buildings reads "Jakob Raven's General Sore! New fresh fish in this morning!" A hunched old man in an long overcoat leans on his cane opposite the store and smokes a pipe.

What do you do?

zenanarchist
2010-10-11, 05:21 PM
As I promised, here we are.

Xenith sends his mental energy out into the town, skimming surface thoughts.

OOC

This is something that's bothered me about psionics, it technically shouldn't take much power to skim surface thoughts if you can bend reality to your will. However I am using it primarily for fluff.

Devmaars backstory post (Because I know it helps me to remember what's going on so I figure it may help you all).

Everyone's here (sorry theblackorc, maybe next time).

How's this for an 'Origins' story:

For reasons to be disclosed via pm, Ket'Thull was making his way West when he caught a young human attempting to steal from him. Realising the girl was not really a criminal he suggested that they travel together. Recognising the half-orc's strength, she readily agreed.

Meanwhile, Corian was travelling South (but he started in the North so everyone ends up in the same place) when he came across a lone archer skirmishing with a band of goblins. Seeing that things were going badly for the elf Corian came to his aid, together they were quickly able to drive off the goblins. They agreed to continue the Southward journey together for better protection.

Deciding he needed further aid in his quest Ket'Thull booked Lyra and himself into a tavern while he searched for a third member for their group. The best candidate to present themselves was Daxter Grey, who promised magical power in return for some excitement.

Corian and Ket'Thull's respective missions led them to the Singing Hunter Inn in Marzton. They had both been instructed to arrive at a certain time and speak to a certain man. That man said to them:
"You must go now together to Thosden. There speak to the man Henry. He will fill you in," he stood with an elaborate hand gesture, "The Illuminance bids you luck, friends." And left.

"Dammit!" Spoke Corian, "That was no information at all! Where is this 'Thosden'?" Before Ket'Thun could respond another voice piped up:
"I could take you to Thosden," spoke the Elan sitting at the next table. "After all, there's nothing left for me here."

And true his word Xenith led you all to the town of Thosden.

"I've no idea where to find Henry though."

Belthasar
2010-10-11, 05:40 PM
As Ket'Thull was looking around the town, he palmed softly the elan's back.

"Good job, Xenith," the half-orc said with his powerful, low-pitched voice, and then he walked calmly to the hunched old man.

"Excuse me, good man," Ket'Thull says quietly with a smile. "I'm a newcomer to the town, and I'd like to ask you if you know where could I find a man who calls himself 'Henry'?"

I don't have ranks in either knowledge skills. However, I could know only common knowledge in both.

Architecture: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Fail!

Devmaar
2010-10-11, 05:53 PM
Xenith:
I'm not sure about that. You've really got nothing in your sheet tht has to do with others' minds. I suppose I'll go with: 'You don't sense any specific threat.'

Old man to Ket'thull:
Henry? You mean that upstart who thinks he can run this town 'cos he's got a few soldiers and he throws a few parties? Pah! Of course I know 'im. Probably 'e'll be at 'is 'ouse, 'stead a runnin' the town like 'e should. The man takes a deep drag on his pipe and spits on the ground before starting to mumble incoherently and flick his eyes around as if he expects something to sneak up on him.

zenanarchist
2010-10-11, 05:55 PM
Dev

oh no no! What I meant was that at regular intervals Xenith "send his mind out" to others. However this has no mechanical benefit whatsoever, it's just him being a psionic doing what I think psionics do, so just ignore me when I do it :smallsmile:

Xenith eyes the man.

You do not seem too fond of the fellow.... He is... not well liked? By others of course, not yourself. You obviously share no dislike with such a man.

Xenith looks around to see if he can see what the man is worried of.

Devmaar
2010-10-11, 06:03 PM
Zen:
Oh, okay

Old Man:
Like 'im? Everyone [*******] likes 'im! Most popular man in this town fer decades 'e 'is! They don't gets it see, they don't see what I do. An' they won't listen. Ohhh No. No-one listens to Mitch. Not any more. More mumbling and then he coughs violently before taking another drag on the pipe.

zenanarchist
2010-10-11, 06:09 PM
Well, we are willing to listen, friend. We will hear what you have to say. What do you see?

Belthasar
2010-10-11, 07:46 PM
"Incidentally," Ket'Thull says calmly, "we need to find Henry as soon as possible. It's a matter of life and death, good man. Please, can you tell us where is Henry's home?"

Ket'Thull looks around, hoping find any clue about Henry's place.

...Maybe that large building over there...

DoctorHobo
2010-10-11, 09:11 PM
Daxter stands along with his group, surveying the buildings of the town as they ask for directions.

Knowledge (History) Check: [roll0]

Grendus
2010-10-11, 09:54 PM
If I'm allowed to, I'd like to make a diplomacy check to increase his opinion of us. Roll: [roll0]

Merv steps forward, glancing at Kel'thul. "Don't be so hasty my friend. Those who can't take time to listen to the wisdom of their elders are rarely lucky enough to become one." He nods to the old man on the step, bowing his back ever so slightly in a gesture of respect, then addresses him. "If I may be so bold, sir, what about him strikes you ill?"

Lady Moreta
2010-10-11, 10:48 PM
Lyra seemed to be paying more attention to the few people out and about to what her group was doing. Blue eyes flicked over the sign above the general store and she snorted,

Bloody illiterate village. It's spelled store"

As Merv started talking, she focused her attention on the old man, eyes narrowed in thought.

Sense motive: to get a feel for how honest and open he's being
[roll0]

OOC
I know the sore/store thing was just a typo, but I couldn't resist, sorry :smallredface:

Devmaar
2010-10-12, 09:32 AM
OOC:
Damn, now you've made it canon. Jakob Raven apparently can't spell 'store'.

Daxter:
The buildings are probably a few hundred years old. The wood-atop-stone building technique was developed to protect the houses from flooding without the cost of an all-stone house. However, judging by the surrounding terrain it seems unlikely that flooding is a problem here.

Lyra:
You sense no deception in the man

Turning away from Xenith and Ket'Thull Mitch speaks to Merv:
Yes that's right. Wisdom! That's the problem now, people discard it as ramblings, wisdom is what it is. He turns back to the others Ha! Yes! He understands. Mitch has wisdom. You should be listening! Looking back to Merv, Strikes me ill? I'll say what strikes me ill. Nothing I've heard of this man 'Henry' Not a word! But now? Now he thinks he's the mayor! I want to know what happened to the last mayor! No-one else is asking, they thinks Mitch is crazy, they doesn't see

Belthasar
2010-10-12, 10:02 AM
After Merv,the elven ranger, speaks wisely, Ket'Thull smiles and nods him.

The archer was right, and made Ket'Thull know how imprudent he was. In fact, he made him remember an ancient proverbial note he was taught back in the school of the church: "The humblest and the eldest are carriers of wisdom..." It was something like that.

So he smiles remembering it, and he would try not to be so reckless again.

"Even if this man knows a lot more than us," he thinks, "not even he knows enough details about Henry's ascension... We don't even know this Henry and we're already talking about him..."

He decided to keep his fanged mouth closed; Merv was doing fine. If the old man has nothing else to say, well, there are a lot of people to ask...

Grendus
2010-10-12, 10:14 AM
Merv nods thoughtfully. "So when Henry arrived, the previous mayor vanished? That is ominous indeed." He pauses for a second for effect, then continues. "Sir, you wouldn't happen to know where Henry is, would you? We should look into this."

Devmaar
2010-10-12, 10:28 AM
Pah! Looking is not enough! Anyone can look! Here the man sucks on his pipe and spits at the ground again Seeing! That's what's important! No-one sees Henry for what 'e is. No-one but Mitch. That's the difference between me an' them. I sees! They's all blind as a newborn pup. But not Mitch. Ohh no, I sees the truth. He breaks off into more incoherent mumbling.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 02:31 PM
Daxter steps forward and speaks with the man, patience for his senility growing thin. "Sir, you have convinced us. We will go investigate this man and find out what dastardly do he is planning. Now. Does he live in that building over there?" The wizard lifted his finger and pointed off to the large building set away from the others that had been to their left when they entered the town.

Devmaar
2010-10-12, 02:36 PM
Hah! That's the town hall, where 'e should be! Barely in there at all. Hah. No, 'e'll be at 'is 'ouse, shirkin' 'is responsibility like 'e always does. He takes another drag on the pipe and coughs violently for a few seconds before spitting on the ground again.

Grendus
2010-10-12, 05:48 PM
Merv sighs, then presses again. "I'm sorry sir, we're from out of town. His house would be... where?"

zenanarchist
2010-10-12, 07:04 PM
OOC All

I wish I'd of taken a power for tearing this information from his mind, we could have been gone by now. lol.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 07:06 PM
Also OOC

We could ask any of the other people in town who apparently love the guy and aren't crazy?

zenanarchist
2010-10-12, 07:07 PM
Also also OOC

Randoms show up and start asking about their loved and revered leader? My answer, would be "uhh...uh who? Oh right him...Yeah look he's out of town for the next year on uh...town business. lol.

Grendus
2010-10-12, 09:14 PM
Depends on how we stake ourselves. If everyone loves him, unless they feel they have to protect him they won't care, and even if they do they'd tell us if we made a bluff check.

zenanarchist
2010-10-12, 09:18 PM
Fair call....especially if we approached one on one.... Who's our best talker?

Belthasar
2010-10-12, 09:26 PM
Continuing what Merv said, Ket'Thull adds:

"Moreso, my wise friend, you may notice that we all come from different zones of the map," he says with a smile. "We don't know the different, interesting places the town has -or had in its glorious times-, and perhaps a good man like yourself could guide us to Henry's location while telling us an interesting story about what this town was before Henry took over..."

If allowed, I'd like to add a circumstance bonus to Merv's diplomacy check, helping him; or even make a new check:
[roll0]

Lady Moreta
2010-10-12, 09:33 PM
OOC
Ignore me, Ket'Thull got in first, and I like his idea better than mine. My talkie is not so good, my bluffie is not bad though. Failing that I have a trick that might work, but also might not.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 10:30 PM
If all else fails. I have "Detect Thoughts", if that's helpful. "Alright, fine. Don't tell us where he is, but at least think about it really hard!" -temple rub- ...And yes, rubbing your temples is totally the somatic component of Detect Thoughts. =P

Lady Moreta
2010-10-12, 10:56 PM
OOC
You know, we were told to report to this guy on arrival. Why can't we just march up to the town hall and saying "Hey we were told to report to Henry. Where is he?" Might not be as much fun as detect thoughts but might also work faster :smalltongue:

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 11:05 PM
OOC
That's actually a really good idea, haha. We'll see what Devmaar has the old coot say and if he still wants to be pants-on-his-head crazy and unhelpful, I say we off to the town hall.

zenanarchist
2010-10-12, 11:05 PM
True. But now we started the convo we can't just waltz off... It'd be out of character for some of those with good alignments in the group....

If the guy doesn't give us a straight answer when devmaar gets off then we can just waltz off after getting frustrated.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 11:08 PM
OOC
Out of character? We've got an important mission. Thinking of the greater good, we've got to pay more heed to the mission at hand than the feelings of an elderly man who's clearly been touched in the head and may very well continue the conversation without us anyway.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-12, 11:46 PM
Lyra was beginning to look ever so slightly bored. Her wandering gaze fell on the building the old man had identified as the town hall, and her eyes narrowed as an idea occurred to her. She quietly stepped back and nudged Daxter in the ribs

"You know, they could be at this forever and it isn’t getting us any closer to this Henry person. We’re on semi-official business at least, why don’t we just go to the Town Hall and ask for him?"

DoctorHobo
2010-10-12, 11:57 PM
Daxter looked away from the men negotiating with Mitch and caught sight the source of the poke to his ribs.

"I wholeheartedly agree.", he said, making sure to keep his voice low as he stepped off with Lyra and headed for the Town Hall.

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 12:07 AM
I agree. That's a good idea. We will wait here.

JelloCat
2010-10-13, 12:38 AM
Overhearing Lyra Corian steps closer and says in a deep voice, "If you don't mind, I also find this quite inane and would like to join you."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-13, 01:33 AM
"They are dragging things out a bit, aren't they? Lyra replies with a wry smile. "I'd hate for you to be bored, please come and join us."

Grendus
2010-10-13, 09:35 AM
I dunno. IRL this conversation would still have taken no more than a minute, and some cryptic musings by an old man (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0122.html) never hurt anyone. Besides, we've learned a great deal here... Henry is loved by almost all, but there may be some reason not to trust him. Well worth the minute, minute and a half tops we spent talking to Mr. Alzheimer's.

Merv looks at the party members assembled to leave and mutters "Good idea. Ket'thull and I will meet you at the town hall when we finish here."

Devmaar
2010-10-13, 12:38 PM
Staying with Mitch:
'Is 'ouse? The one with the blue door. I think that's the one... He stands staring into the distance whil sucking on his pipe.

Town Hall:
When you enter the large building you a large room, with three doors along each side wall, two doors in the back wall and a desk in the far-left corner. An elven woman stands behind the desk and is looking at some papers. As you enter, a gnome leaves the middle door on your right and turns towards the back wall before he sees you, he walks towards you and says,
Oh, hello. I don't recognise you, are you new to the area, or travellers? He seems friendly.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-13, 02:03 PM
Daxter smiles and casts his gaze downward to meet the gnome's. "We're here on official business, I'm afraid. Sent to see a man named Henry. We were told this was a good place to look for him."

Devmaar
2010-10-13, 02:28 PM
Town Hall:
Ah yes, Henry. I'm afraid he's currently predisposed. Council matters you understand. If you like I could give him a message, or show you to the waiting room if you really must see him yourselves.

Grendus
2010-10-13, 02:58 PM
Merv bows low to the man. "Thank you sir. You have a nice day." He motions to Ket'thul and heads towards the town hall to catch up with the rest of the group, mentally noting the general location of Henry's house. Compared to navigating in an overgrown forest, towns were easy to remember.

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 03:19 PM
Yep. I'll follow Merv.

Belthasar
2010-10-13, 05:14 PM
"Thank you for your time, mister Mitch," says Ket'Thull with a respectful bow to the old man.

Then he goes, with Merv and Xenith, towards the Town Hall, where everyone else must be right now.

"Looks like we have a plan B in case we can't find Henry at the Town Hall," says Ket'Thull to both.

Soon, the elf, the elan and the half-orc (the lattest moving a little slowly due to his heavy armor) arrive at the Town Hall...

DoctorHobo
2010-10-13, 06:00 PM
"The waiting room will be fine, sir. I'm afraid it really is quite important." He maintained a pleasant smile and diplomatic body language as he waited for the gnome to show him to the waiting room.

zenanarchist
2010-10-13, 07:06 PM
OOC

I wonder where Mr Devmaar is.

Grendus
2010-10-13, 10:03 PM
Merv nods. "Yea. I'm worried though. We don't know much about him, and what we do know sounds iffy. I admit I'm paranoid, but I wish we knew more about him before going straight to his house or office."

Belthasar
2010-10-13, 10:20 PM
Ket'Thull smiled. "Fear not, my elven friend, for we do not need to befriend our future employer... He only needs to tell us some details about the mission, and that's all."

The elf -and even the elan- were agile. The weight of Ket'Thull's armor made him walk right behind them. "At least I can watch their backs if someone sneaks from behind..."

"But," he continued, "you've got a point. We must approach our destiny with not fear, but our eyes opened, as you have done until now..."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-13, 10:53 PM
Town Hall

Lyra rolled her eyes as the gnome spoke

"I wonder if he's really indisposed" she muttered in Daxter's ear. She extended her gaze to include Corian, "Or if the gnome is just blowing smoke.

And just because I can, sense motive (is gnomey telling the truth of just blowing smoke?)
[roll0]
edit: oh lookie, rolled a one. Seems trustworthy to me! :smalltongue:)

Devmaar
2010-10-14, 09:26 AM
At the town hall you are greeted and shown to where your friends are waiting.

From behind a door you can hear what sounds like heated debate. About an hour later the door opens and a number of people, several races but mostly humans files out. Last to leave is a tall human man with his hair in a ponytail. He smiles warmly and speaks to you:

Hello, I am Henry. I hear you want to speak to me. It is late so I would suggest we go to eat, but if this matter is of grave importance it you may prefer to retire to my office here to discuss it. What say you?

Grendus
2010-10-14, 09:48 AM
Merv nodded and extended his hand toward Henry. "To be honest sir, we're not sure how important this is. We were told to come here by a man in Marzton who identified himself as part of the... illuminance? He said you would fill us in." Feeling his stomach rumble, he adds "Though unless it's very dire, I wouldn't say no to discussing this over a meal. We were in a bit of a rush once we got near the town and we skipped lunch."

Devmaar
2010-10-14, 11:36 AM
The Illuminance? Smiles Henry Then I believe that makes us friends. I would be a poor friend indeed if I did not offer you my hospitality, please accompany me to my home. He extends an arm indicating the door through which you entered.

Belthasar
2010-10-14, 01:25 PM
"We would be glad to do so," says Ket'Thull to Henry, bowing. "By the way, he's Merv, and I am Ket'Thull. And, he's Daxter, he's Corian, and, over there, Lyra and Xenith. Please to meet you, Sir Henry."

Devmaar
2010-10-14, 02:04 PM
Alas, no. I am no knight. One needs to see combat for that, and I certainly do not wish for war.

If no-one objects, Henry leads you to a square at the centre of town. In one corner of the square are a number of market stalls which seem to be selling a variety of foodstuffs; a second corner has a building with a sign reading 'Goodfolk's Tavern'; in the third corner is a large all-stone building with the symbol of Pelor carved in the door; Henry leads you to the final corner. Here there is a slightly larger than average house, with well kept window-boxes and a red door.

The door is opened by a tall man with greying hair and a neatly trimmed goatee. Henry introduces this man as his valet, Smith, and asks him to see that food is prepared for seven and to reserve rooms at the tavern. You are shown into a comfortably furnished room where low couches surround an ornately carved table. Henry invites you to sit before seating himself and says,
I'm afraid the meal tonight will be cold. After all, it would be unfair of me to expect the cook to make a hot meal when I am unsure when I will return home. I hope you will be able to stay, I don't have room for you here but I can pay for you to stay at the Tavern, I'm told it is a fine establishment and I can personally attest to the quality of their ale!

But, to business. Is one of you the Holy Soldier I was told to expect?

Belthasar
2010-10-14, 02:20 PM
After sitting down on a couch, Ket'Thull speaks:

"Yes, Mister Henry," he replies. "That's me. I'm on a special pilgrimage mission for the western Order of Heironeous. It's gonna be a dangerous one, so I'm in need of my comrades' help here..."

He then adds humbly: "As for the food and lodging, anything is fine for me."

DoctorHobo
2010-10-14, 03:45 PM
Daxter shrugged to Lyra's question. "Well politicians are often busy, with what they've busied themselves with is another thing all together." The wizard contemplated casting invisibility and doing some investigating, but the sound of debate on the other side of the door caused pause. Perhaps all that was on the other side was boring debate.

----------------------------------------------------
Now seated at an ornately carved table, Daxter listened in to hear the true tale of the Illuminance and of their mission. This did not stop him, however, from reaching into his haversack and pulling out a bottle of fine wine and popping its cork.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-14, 10:40 PM
Lyra was, if she was being honest with herself, bored. She had no idea what this illuminance was, and didn’t really care. She tried not to let her boredom show on her face, though she was hard pressed to suppress a snort of derision as Ket’Thull talked about his mission and comrades.

The only reason she was here was because Ket’Thull had suggested (rather forcefully) that she accompany him on his travels. Recognising that he outweighed her by rather a lot and could easily enforce his suggestion, she had agreed.

Stupid half-orc not supposed to be intelligent Lyra sighed, straightening in her seat and trying to look like she was paying attention. Movement caught her eye and she turned to see Daxter pulling a bottle of wine from his bag.

“What are you doing?” she asked curiously.

zenanarchist
2010-10-15, 12:01 AM
Xenith, also bored, looks to the bottle.

I do hope you intend to share that with all.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-15, 01:36 AM
Daxter took a swig of his wine before noticing that his alcoholic endeavors were drawing attention.

"Drinking." Daxter explained to Lyra, then glanced to Xenith. "Shush. Important talk going on." He pointed towards Henry, who he returned his focus to as he took another sip of his wine.

zenanarchist
2010-10-15, 01:48 AM
DM only

You shouldn't push a psionics buttons. 6 PP to shatter the bottle-Crystal shard.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Lady Moreta
2010-10-15, 02:30 AM
"Yes, I can see that" Lyra said, raising an eyebrow. "My point was that it's generally considered impolite not to share."

Devmaar
2010-10-15, 09:06 AM
Xenith:
You feel something blocking your power, you lose the pp but the power doesn't activate.

Seeing the wine Henry laughs,
My but you're an impatient one. Smith will bring us drinks once he has seen to your accommodation.

Then with with a more serious tone,
So, you're here about what happened to those paladins. Well, we're not entirely sure. Reports of strange happenings in the East have been coming in for years, but never more so than now. Most recently, the lich Ganmaar tried to raise an undead army and carve out a kingdom. The paladins stopped them, but seem to have been destroyed in the process.

My masters believe that these events are being orchestrated by an individual named Arrvek. It is currently the Illuminance's top priority to seek out Arrvek and stop his plans, whatever they may be, from reaching fruition.

At this point Smith walks in with a tray carrying a jug of wine and several glasses,
The food will be brought up in about 10 minutes, will there be anything else?

Thank you Smith, no that is all.

Anyway, as I was to the end of defeating Arrvek I would ask you to follow up one of the few leads we have discovered. His ally, the vampire Derron, seems to have built up an army and taken control of a fortress several days South-East of here. We would be extremely grateful if you were to travel there and find whatever information you can. If possible, it would be excellent if Derron were captured and almost as good if he were killed. So, what do you say?

JelloCat
2010-10-15, 09:52 AM
Listening intently to the man's explanation Corian straightens up when it is over. Clearing his throat he responds, "I believe we shall accept. Unless one of my companions has anything to say to the contrary." Turning to the rest of the group he stares at each of them, eyebrows (or eyeridges at least) raised in a silent question.

Belthasar
2010-10-15, 10:08 AM
As the valet Smith approaches offering a drink, Ket'Thull politely rejects it with a small hand gesture.

"A vampire?" says Ket'Thull thoughtfully. "I accept the quest as a duty that must be dealt as soon as possible. A vampire is a dire menace not only to the kingdom, but the world as well. I shall capture or exterminate Derron."

Ket'Thull grasped his holy symbol of Heironeous. He didn't want to put his companions in danger. But, on the other hand, they seem awesome enough to endure those dangers.

In the worst case scenario, he had to protect them all. He suddenly thought that he probably shouldn't understimate them. If their will is strong and their determination great, they could achieve anything.

He smiled and asked his people: "Well, my friends. We're going into a dangerous quest, filled with undead and creepy things. You all have your personal motives for traveling with me, so let me ask you: Is anyone among you who would want to drop for any reason?"

DoctorHobo
2010-10-15, 01:22 PM
Daxter slid his wine towards Lyra without a word and stood from the table with a grin. "Drop? Why sir, this is what I came here to do! There's a world to save and a vampire to slay." The wizard reached into his haversack and withdrew his wand of Magic Missile, holding it high aloft his head. "For the Illuminance!"

Belthasar
2010-10-15, 01:53 PM
Upon seeing Daxter's fierce determination, Ket'Thull smiled in aproval.

Grendus
2010-10-15, 02:56 PM
Merv grimaces. "Ugh... undead. Unnatural abominations." He grabs a cup, pours about an inch of wine in it, and knocks it back quickly. "I'm... uhh... I'm in I guess."

zenanarchist
2010-10-15, 06:07 PM
While my companions acceptances are noble...if not perhaps a little naive. I am afraid I must be the one to ask. While our friend here has his moral reasons for doing such a thing, I am inclined to ask what our....compensation might be for such a thing?

Devmaar
2010-10-15, 07:34 PM
A fair question, we cannot all be soldiers of righteousness after all, you would of course be entitled to any wealth you found at Derron's fortress. Furthermore I am authorised by my masters to offer you financial incentives upon completion.

zenanarchist
2010-10-15, 08:05 PM
While my comrades may not agree, I would prefer that I, at least, take half now and half later. Of course, you understand...We don't know you... And running off to defeat a fortress full of bad types would require.... some bravery and of course equipment...

Xenith's eyes seem to grow more silver after the conversation rounding payment.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-15, 08:37 PM
Lyra accepted the wine from Daxter and quietly took a sip. Undead. Lovely. Just lovely. She said nothing as Henry delivered his speech, and still nothing as Ket'Thull delivered his afterwards. She sighed inwardly, the half-orc had made it very clear that she was to stick with him until he felt she'd 'found her place' whatever that meant. She rather doubted this village was it.

"All right," she said finally. "But I agree with Xenith in regard to our - funding."

Devmaar
2010-10-16, 04:43 AM
I'm afraid I don't make a habit of keeping that level of funds in my home. The best I can offer is 200 gold pieces to each of you as a down-payment. I assure you that your final reward will be far greater.

zenanarchist
2010-10-16, 05:17 AM
That is...less than ideal. However, I fear my companions will not allow me my usual means of extracting the truth of your words...

So may I ask what guarantee we have that you are a man of your word? Give me this and I will lay this to rest and me and my friends here shall leave you be and end this arising mess.

Devmaar
2010-10-16, 05:54 AM
Ah, 'tis a sad day when trust becomes but another commodity.

At this point Smith walks in,
The food is ready.

Excellent, have it brought in. Oh, and fetch the wristband Smith.

Smith seems surprised at this last instruction but recovers his composure and leaves the room.

The table is set with a loaf of bread, a platter of cold meat, a platter of cold fish, a selection of cheeses, a pat of butter and a bowl of candied berries. After a few moments Smith returns holding what looks like a red ribbon with a silver disc attached halfway along its length. Henry holds it out yo Xenith,

As long as you wear this ribbon you will know where I am. If I do betray you you will have no difficulty finding me to complain.

As soon as you touch the ribbon you sense its power and know Henry is telling the truth.

zenanarchist
2010-10-16, 05:59 AM
Xenith bows low as he accepts the gift, tying it around his neck after he raises.

Surely you understand our position... I must ask a question of you. Just one more, however I feel that considering your honesty it does require asking. A man, at the entrance to your village had many a numerous claim about you and the activities here in the town... May I ask what you could have done to anger him so?

JelloCat
2010-10-16, 09:16 AM
"That is enough Xenith! I have ignored most of your blatant lack of manners but I will not abide this furthered slander. We are guests in this mans home and you are out of line." Snorting huffily a few flames spurt out of the half-dragon's nose in his rage.

Belthasar
2010-10-16, 01:08 PM
"Now now," Ket'Thull interrupted, "let's calm down, please. We're all friends here, and Mr. Henry is doing his best upon paying us an anticipated sum."

Diplomacy check (just in case):
[roll0]

DoctorHobo
2010-10-16, 01:17 PM
"I agree with the dragon," Daxter said, sitting down and placing his wand on his lap. "Xenith is an ass. Please keep in mind that he doesn't speak for all of us."

Devmaar
2010-10-16, 02:07 PM
A stern look comes to Henry's face,
I assure you, the old man's ramblings have no grounding in reality. Now if you have no further questions let us enjoy the meal. He gives another easy smile which seems to encompass everyone but Xenith.

Belthasar
2010-10-16, 02:47 PM
Ket'Thull, partially relieved that the tension in the air loosened a little, was frugally enjoying the cold meat and fish; it made him remember his days as a soldier trainee, and even his sad childhood among the orcs.

"This meal is delicious," he said to Henry. "Please, Mr. Henry, make me a favor and congratulate Smith in my name."

He also noticed that Henry was being indifferent towards poor Xenith. The young psion was curious and strange, but not evil. And if even so he wanted so much to be recompensated with a larger sum, it was clearly not his intention to make trouble.

Puttings those thoughts aside, Ket'Thull asked to Henry:

"Mr. Henry, could you please tell us more about the lich Granmaar, Arvek, and Derron? Also, do you know more details concerning the paladins and the lich?"

zenanarchist
2010-10-16, 04:59 PM
Xenith grins at the outbursts in the room, the silence sent his way. If only these do-gooders could understand that the world was not always lily's and socially smelling and congratulating each other on the waft of their own farts. He sat quietly for the rest of the dinner, taking in everything but also practicing his mental excercises.

Devmaar
2010-10-16, 07:11 PM
Yes Ket'Thull, of course.
Arrvek, we don't know. We know he is powerful, extremely so, and as ambitious as any could be, but that is all. About Derron I can speak with more certainty, the vampire is a strong warrior and a great leader. His army is disciplined, organised and extremely well trained. He had little trouble carving himself a kingdom and took the Wolf's Pass fortress in under a week. They are a formidable force, but so far lacking in numbers. We feel they must be stopped before they can bolster their ranks.

As for Ganmaar, He looked to become as much of a threat as Derron is now, if not more, so we asked your brethren to aid us in defeating him. They did not like our strategy however and took it upon themselves to attack the lich's stronghold. We were not expecting them to make such a rash move and by the time our forces arrived to support them, they had all been killed. In the process though, they had destroyed the vast majority of the lich's forces, making it a simple matter for us to deal with the remnants.

He raises a glass, his face solemn
A toast, to their sacrifice.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-16, 11:08 PM
Lyra raised her glass with the rest. For the most part, she was content to stay silent and in the background. She was small enough that people tended to overlook her presence, and that suited her just fine. Better to be invisible. But one thing had her curious

Excuse me Henry, but one thing has me curious. How do you know things are being orchestrated by this Arrvek person if you don't know anything about him? How do you even know he's a man?"

zenanarchist
2010-10-16, 11:46 PM
Oh and I'm stirring the waters, thought Xenith to himself quietly chuckling.

Devmaar
2010-10-17, 04:45 AM
That is a good question Lyra. We discovered evidence that suggested several of these events were linked in some way. We also found a letter addressed to Arrvek in Ganmaar's stronghold, so we assumed Arrvek was connected to all the linked events. Once we started looking for them we found links to many other problems we thought had been put to rest. As to how we know he's a man... we don't. It just seemed the simplest assumption, Arrvek could be a group, a powerful dragon, even a minor deity. But we know he is not powerful enough to fulfil his ambitions alone, else he would surely have done so.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-17, 07:10 AM
"May we see the evidence - and this letter?" Lyra asked politely. "A fresh pair of eyes could be useful, and I've always preferred to get first-hand experience."

She smiled at the mayor of the town, determindly keeping her thoughts to herself. Oh there is just so much wrong with this. How could they make so many outright assumptions. This cannot possibly end well.

Devmaar
2010-10-17, 11:05 AM
You think the Illuminance's upper levels would allow such powerful items to be kept here? If I could, I would gladly grant your request, but like all the Illuminance's most valuable items these are kept in secret locations, guarded by the society's leaders and their most trusted lieutenants.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-17, 02:41 PM
Daxter looked to Xenith and Lyra. "Am I the only one satisfied with his explanations? We are being asked to storm the seized fortress of a vampire and find truth to these allegations. If we arrive and find that Derron had done nothing but set up an elaborate bakery, I assure we could wipe our hands of the situation and be on our way."

zenanarchist
2010-10-17, 05:13 PM
Xenith looked at Daxter and quietly shook his head... So naive, so...susceptible to influence.

I am satisfied said Xenith, fingering the medallion softly. Let us finish our meal then be on our way, yes?

Belthasar
2010-10-17, 08:44 PM
"A toast to their noble, meaningful sacrifice," repeats Ket'Thull solemnly, cup raised. "Their deaths shall not be in vain."

As conversations and negotiations flow, the paladin listened well, and then he added.

"I don't need any explanation to do what must be done," he says. "There's a vampire -and Heroineous knows- something loose somewhere out there, and perhaps a crazy... -I don't know- THING trying to raise an army of undead. I just can't sit and do nothing while those abominations run free this close to us! Someone has to stop them before it's too late...!"

Lady Moreta
2010-10-17, 09:52 PM
You think the Illuminance's upper levels would allow such powerful items to be kept here? If I could, I would gladly grant your request, but like all the Illuminance's most valuable items these are kept in secret locations, guarded by the society's leaders and their most trusted lieutenants.

"Calm down Ket'Thull" Lyra leaned across the table and tapped him lightly on the hand. "No one is suggesting we shouldn't do something, not even Xenith."

She turned to look at Henry,

"I don't know anything about your Illuminance sir, so I'm afraid I couldn't answer that question. I'm only here because Ket'Thull-" she paused, waved one hand and went on. "That isn't important. I only asked because in my line of work, if all the facts are not present something always goes wrong. Since it's my- well our lives on the line, I wanted to make sure we had all the facts."

She shrugged, then inclined her head towards Henry, smiling

"We shall simply have to do the best we can with what we have."

Grendus
2010-10-18, 04:17 PM
Merv sits quietly, looking thoughtfully at his food until finally he speaks. "Perhaps I am being the cynic here, but I do find it very strange that you would hire people and then keep them in the dark. Knowing that someone somewhere has evidence that they say supports a claim and seeing that it supports a claim yourself are two very different things. After all, we've met people who were convinced you were bent." he says, gesturing at Henry. "Anybody can say anything without evidence."

"That said, a vampire is a great threat. I would not refuse to destroy it. I just find it disturbing that an organization dedicated to stopping such powerful creatures operates on such a need to know basis."

zenanarchist
2010-10-18, 04:42 PM
OOC

Careful Merv, you'll end up as disliked as Xenith :smallwink:

Devmaar
2010-10-19, 06:11 PM
I understand your frustration Merv, but there's really nothing I can do. I would show you the evidence if I had it here. As the situation stands you would have to wait for it to be brought here from wherever it's kept. I have no idea how long that would take.

You said you would not refuse to fight the vampire. If you do that and then return I may be able to get the letter and some other evidence brought here in the meantime. As for aspersions against me, I would suggest you ask more people in town. The first opinion you hear is not necessarily the most popular.

zenanarchist
2010-10-19, 07:02 PM
Sound advice... In this regard I entirely concur...

Lady Moreta
2010-10-19, 09:59 PM
"So what's next?" Lyra asked, idly playing with her fork. "We rest for the night and set off in the morning? We should at least come up with some sort of plan. I don't relish just waltzing on in. Especially not with undead in the equation."

Belthasar
2010-10-19, 10:24 PM
After calming down a little, Ket'Thull says.

"Indeed. We'll need some maps and provisions, Mr. Henry."

Ket'Thull finishes his meal, then says. "You have the word, Mr. Henry. When shall we leaving?"

Devmaar
2010-10-20, 06:02 AM
Of course. Here are the maps you will need, and I will have provisions prepared for the morning.

Map: you know where you're going and I will answer questions about terrain features.

Supplies: you have enough for the journey, as long as you come pretty much straight back. I'm not tracking it. If anyone needs anything specific they should ask.

Grendus
2010-10-20, 10:57 AM
Merv nods, taking another sip of his wine and a bite of food. "I apologize for the seeming insult. I meant merely that I dislike being poorly informed. If you can provide us with a map, I'm satisfied for now. Though I would like to see the evidence when we return, if possible."

He stretches, yawning. "I'm probably just trance deprived. If you will excuse me." He stands and heads for his room.

Devmaar
2010-10-20, 02:16 PM
Of course. I have arranged for you all to have rooms in the inn across the square.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-20, 02:59 PM
Daxter polished off what was left of his plate and stood. "Thank you for the meal, sir." He tucked his wand back into his haversack, but left the wine to Lyra and Xenith. "When next we meet, sir, your vampire woes will be over with." Full of smiles and confidence, Daxter left the building and followed Merv to the inn across the square.

zenanarchist
2010-10-20, 05:31 PM
Xenith quickly snatched the bottle up and winked at Lyra.

Heading over to the inn he retired to his bedroom, most certainly not finishing off the bottle.

Belthasar
2010-10-20, 07:14 PM
"Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Henry," Ket'Thull says bowing. "Tomorrow, first hour, we'll be heading towards the place. We will capture Derron or end his menace once and for all. My companion's deaths shall not be in vain."

He then leaves the building, and looks upon the sky. "Sharg," he whispers. "I'll need your help to complete this mission in Heironeous' name."

Then, he enters the inn and politely asks for the room asigned to him by Henry.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-20, 09:28 PM
Glaring at the back of Xenith's head, Lyra slid from her chair and made her way out of the mayor's house. She'd been looking forward to having the rest of that bottle - shared if Xenith really wanted it that much. Exiting the house, she could see Xenith ahead of her, there was something - entirely too gleeful about his expression.

On second thought, perhaps it'd be better to have a clear head tomorrow.

Just ahead, she watched as Ket'Thull paused and looked up at the sky. She could see his lips moving but was too far away to hear him. He finished whatever he was saying to the night and moved towards the inn. Lyra crossed the street, and out of sheer curiosity, paused at the point the paladin had stopped. Tipping her head back, she peered up at the sky. The stars were pretty. But that was about it.

Breaking into a jog, she entered the inn just as Ket'Thull requested his room. The others were nowhere in sight. Lyra leaned against the counter and angled her head so she could see his face.

"You know, I should never have listened to you." She commented. "What I should have done, was run when I got the chance. Vampires..." she shuddered, and peered up at him, rubbing her neck.

"And why do you have to be so damn tall?!"

Belthasar
2010-10-20, 09:59 PM
"Because," he replies, "my mother and father had a fight to have custody over me when I was just a child. In fact, my father grabbed my hands, and my mother disagreed, grabbing my legs, and they just pulled... They pulled so hard that my length increased... A little."

He pauses to look Lyra's face. Then suddenly laughs.

"Heheh, not true my dear," he says smiling. "I was just joking. Must be my orcish heritage what made me like I am: A tall half-human, half-orc with a short life, but an early maturehood. And more importantly, a selfless servant of good."

He taps gently the counter with his fingers.

"Yes, vampires are dangerous abominations, servants of evil. You could run if you wish, young Lyra," he says gently to her. "but you didn't. You're here, with us. You just proved me that you can choose the best, between a life of acomplishment, and a life of regret -running away from your problems, eternally."

He takes the sheathed, large sword from his back, and sits on a bench nearby. His sword on his knees.

"I personally prefer to acomplish things, my dear," he adds, smiling. "A life of regret means having a long life of no true acomplishments. You may call me crazy, but I think stopping this undead is a small contribution to a peaceful world."

Touching the hilt of his sword, he finally says: "Fear not. For I'll protect you as long as you stay close."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-21, 01:52 AM
Lyra moved over to stand in front of him as he sat down. It was much easier to talk when she didn't have to crane her neck to look at him.

"Very funny" she said dryly, putting her hands on her hips. Behind her wryly amused expression, you can see that she is seriously considering the half-orc's words. It appears something hit a nerve.

"Perhaps," she finally says. "I still think I only agreed to come with you because you're big enough to squash me." Her eyes are full of humour, and she grins to make it clear that she's joking.

"Anyway, I have plenty of 'true accomplishments'. I just don't think they'd be what you would consider very accomplished. I don't know if you're crazy, but I do think you're the strangest paladin I've ever met. And I don't mean because of your race."

At his last words, Lyra chuckles, humour colouring her tone,

"I don't think I'd care to stick too close to you though, you're too big a target!"

Implusively, she reaches out and lightly places her hand over his as it rests on his sword.

"You're a good man Ket'Thull" she says, suddenly serious. Without warning, Lyra leans over and kisses his cheek lightly - you can see she seems to have surprised herself.

Abruptly, she pulls back and walks away, spine tensely rigid and her head held high.

Belthasar
2010-10-21, 02:17 PM
Ket'Thull stands, taking his sword with him. He takes his left gauntlet off, and walks approaching Lyra, putting gently his unprotected, large hand on her shoulder.

"You're a good girl too, Lyra," he replies, smiling slightly. "Heroineous' blessings be upon you, my dear."

He approaches the stairs. "It's time to rest, young Lyra," he says. "Tomorrow we'll be having an eventful trip..."

OOC:

I like the growing friendship between those two. :smallsmile:

DoctorHobo
2010-10-21, 03:29 PM
Daxter quickly moved ascend the stairs beside Ket'Thull and gave him a playful jib to the side. "The paladin and the theif, eh? Risque. Don't worry, I won't tell the church." He reached back into his haversack and produced another wand. "I wanted to speak to you and show you something. This is a wand that will allow me to double you in size. I have it on me all the time. If you ever feel the situation has become dire and you need a sudden boost in size and strength, simply call back to me and I shall see it done."

Grendus
2010-10-21, 06:23 PM
Merv walks up to his room, settles into the chair, and, after tossing and turning for half an hour or so, manages to relax enough to drift into trance.

Belthasar
2010-10-21, 07:47 PM
Ket'Thull laughs a little after hearing Daxter's commentary about Lyra. "Heh, you're such a joker, Daxter."

After hearing the confidential offer the wizard said, Ket'Thull replied. "I'm very thankful for your offer, my friend. If I ever need the amazing powers you mentioned, I'll make you know with a sign in the midst of a battle."

Then he added. "It's not unnecesary to say that you can count on me as well, whenever you need a sharp, righteous blade, or divine healing."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-21, 09:28 PM
Lyra looked up at Ket'Thull as he rested a hand on her shoulder. She gave him a brief smile and a mumbled "Goodnight" before dodging around Daxter and darting up the stair - shaking her head as she went.

Upon entering her room, she stayed awake only long enough to dump her bag, remove her sword and shoes and curl up into the bed. It was nice to sleep in a bed with actual blankets for a change. Just before she slept, Lyra reached out to her pack, rummaged in it for a while, and pulled a small whistle from within. Her other hand found the hilt of the dagger tucked into her shoe and pulled it free. With these tucked securely beneath her pillow, Lyra finally allowed herself to sleep.

OOC:

I like the growing friendship between those two. :smallsmile:

Me too :smallsmile: How old is Ket'Thull out of curiosity? He seems to be treating Lyra like a younger sister. Is he actually older than her? she's 18.

zenanarchist
2010-10-21, 09:30 PM
Lyra looked up at Ket'Thull as he rested a hand on her shoulder. She gave him a brief smile and a mumbled "Goodnight" before dodging around Daxter and darting up the stair - shaking her head as she went.

Upon entering her room, she stayed awake only long enough to dump her bag, remove her sword and shoes and curl up into the bed. It was nice to sleep in a bed with actual blankets for a change. Just before she slept, Lyra reached out to her pack, rummaged in it for a while, and pulled a small whistle from within. Her other hand found the hilt of the dagger tucked into her shoe and pulled it free. With these tucked securely beneath her pillow, Lyra finally allowed herself to sleep.

OOC:

Me too :smallsmile: How old is Ket'Thull out of curiosity? He seems to be treating Lyra like a younger sister. Is he actually older than her? she's 18.

OOC

{If you Hadn't gotten into bed so BLOODY quickly, Xenith was going to call out to you as you passed and invite you to finish the bottle!!}

Belthasar
2010-10-21, 09:47 PM
In his room, Ket'Thull takes off his full-plate armor, and dedicates to praying Heironeous, with symbol in one hand, sword in the other.

"Invincible Heironeous, in the name of Good and Justice, grant me strength of body, mind and heart to overcome any obstacles. Allow me to see through the darkness and purge Evil from this world, and protect those in need..."

...And after 15 minutes of praying, he finally goes to bed.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-21, 11:50 PM
Daxter glanced off after the paladin's offer, and spoke aloud to himself. "Divine healing would be favorable. Healing is where my knowledge of magic is quite limited."

As Daxter broke off from Ket'Thull, he gave him a very casual salute and then closed his door behind him.

Once inside, Daxter pulled off his Haversack, the one bit of cloth that the wizard always carried. It contained his spell book, his connection to the arcane. He would prepare his spells at the witching hour and be better prepared tomorrow, with the task at hand known.

Devmaar
2010-10-22, 10:09 AM
After a good night's sleep you are greeted in the morning by Smith. He provides the supplies and informs you that Henry has already started work.

>>>IF ANYONE WANTS TO DO ANYTHING BEFORE LEAVING TOWN SAY SO AND I WILL RETCON OUT THE NEXT BIT<<<

As you start walking the weather is good, warm and bright. The road is well maintained and every few minutes you pass a group of people travelling the other way. None of them stops to speak to you or looks at you though, and you see no-one travelling the same way as you. After almost two hours you see a small bridge crossing over a river. On this side of the bridge is what looks like a cart on its side. A halfling man is sitting on the cart, on seeing you he jumps up and waves.

Belthasar
2010-10-22, 01:45 PM
Before leaving the town...

Ket'Thull awoke early, he made his usual prayings to Heironeous, donned his full-plate armor, picked his weapons and gear, and went down the stairs to find at the inn a table with breakfast served. With a smile, he greeted everyone (including Smith), and ate his dish in good mood.

After everyone gathered outside, he remembered something. "Wait for me, I'll be back in a minute..." he said and with those words he left towards a nearby alley.

There, he concentrated in his holy symbol of Heironeous, and prayed silently: "Mighty Heironeous, please allow me to see my faithful companion Sharg, so he can help me in this crucial mission..."

A soft, white glow lit the alley as a majestic, silver-haired horse appeared, with saddle, sashes, bit and briddle, and even barded with leather armor.

"I was waiting for you, faithful Sharg," he said to the horse, smiling. "Ready for another noble quest, my friend?"

Ket'Thull re-appeared oustide the inn, where everyone was gathered (probably with the mounts granted by Henry), riding Sharg, the majestic warhorse. "Now, this is when the noble, fateful quest starts..."

------
After leaving the town...

Upon seeing the people travelling in the opposed direction, Ket'Thull mumbles: "Refugees... They're fleeing to the town..."

Once the team approaches to the bridge and the halfling, Ket'Thull says to him: "Greetings, traveler..."

DoctorHobo
2010-10-22, 02:25 PM
Daxter awoke early in the morning, as was his habit from being both an affluent child with days full of violin lessons and the like, and from being an adventurer, where one never liked to burn away precious adventuring time. The wizard pulled himself out of the bed and dressed himself before glancing out his window and taking in a deep breath of morning air. Daxter had enjoyed every single day since leaving home. The wanderer's life suited him just fine. Looking out at the town, Daxter thought of the day ahead of him, his first true adventure, and he thought himself well prepared, youthful and cocky as he was. He checked his magical haversack and made sure everything was in order before leaving his room, all smiles and humming.

His meal couldn't have tasted any better. It tasted like anticipation and adventure. Yes, Adventure and bacon. Daxter made sure to clear his plate, one mustn't go gallivanting about taking on vampires and their ilk on an empty stomach.

Outside, Daxter was met with a large horse, a beast of burden the man had little experience with. There had been lessons when he was a child, along with "which fork goes on the left" lessons, but all had been forgotten, for young Daxter's mind had always been in the clouds. It couldn't possibly be too hard, though. People rode horses all the time. Careful, but determined, Daxter pulled himself up onto his horse and took hold the reins.

"I don't think my horse likes me," Daxter moaned, pulling his horse away from intercepting the third group of refugees it had nearly walked into that morning. "Either me or everyone else, I can't decide."

At the bridge and the halfling, Daxter pulls his horse to a stop with minimal difficulty and listens up for what he had to say, though he found his hand drifting into his sack and retrieving his wand of magic missile, just in case.

zenanarchist
2010-10-22, 05:04 PM
Before leaving town...

Xenith stands for a moment, focusing his mental strength inwards. (Using repletion-no need to eat or drink for 24 hours for 1pp). Then he focuses carefully, eyes crossing to a soft sheen of silver. (Becoming Psionically focused). He then mounts one of the horses and pats himself down to make sure he has everything. He doesn't thank Smith, nor acknowledge anyone as he mounts, his head still pounding from the imbued alcohol last night (Devmaar, fluff reasons I'd like to take a -1 penalty to ranged attacks for my hang over for the next 3 hours).

After leaving town...

Xenith unclasps his crossbow and keeps it in his hand but behind his back, out of the line of vision of the halfling, just in case... (Ready an action to fire on the halfling in event of hostility)

Grendus
2010-10-22, 05:22 PM
Wild Empathy check on Daxter's horse to calm it down: [roll0]

Merv awoke after two fitful hours of trance, his 'dreams', as the humans called them, full of gnashing teeth, rotting ghouls, and the ever-present scream. Shaking his head, he picked up his main-hand scimitar and muttered "Naur", a light flame tracing it's way down the delicate gold tracery along the flat of the blade. "I promise. This time, I won't run," he muttered, watching the shadows dance in the room. He touched the blade to a candle, then muttered the command word again and slid it back into it's sheath. He took the candle and headed to the kitchen to make some tea, then returned to his room for a few more hours of hopefully dreamless trance.

He came out of trance the second time uneventfully a few hours before dawn, tired but not physically so. It felt strange to wake up indoors, without the sounds of night creatures or even the groaning of the trees. He gathered his things and walked out the door to find a good sized tree or place of nature to meditate. Afterwards, he returned to the inn and checked and rechecked his gear until the others awoke.

Before leaving, he grabs a clove of garlic out of the pantry and slips it into his pack. Then, thinking better of it, grabs two more.

Merv chuckles at Daxter's inept handling of his mount. "Pull on the reigns. If he doesn't do what you want him to do, pull harder. He'll obey, unless he's spooked," he says, clicking his tongue at the horse to get it's attention. He spurs his horse on, catching up to Ket'Thul as they near the bridge.

Devmaar
2010-10-22, 05:30 PM
Xenith: sure

Grendus: You calm the horse. Can you add stats for Merv's companion to your sheet please?

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 07:54 PM

Lyra woke in a hurry, as she did every morning. She was up and dressed and downstairs before she was fully awake. At the table, she mumbled greetings to the others then sat by herself to eat.

She lingers on the doorstep for a moment, something clenched in her fist, before stepping down to the smallest of the horses. She shoved whatever was in her hand into a pocket and gingerly picked up the reins. Staring at the animal, she then turned and looked around her, a little helplessly.

"Ah, Merv? A little help here?"

------

Lyra rides warily, constantly turning in her saddle to watch from every angle. She says nothing as Ket'Thull greets the halfling on his cart, but intently scans the surrounding area instead.

Spot check to see anything out of the ordinary:
[roll0]

Dev:
She's a little edgy, so she's going to spend one pp and activate precognition for a +2 insight bonus

Grendus
2010-10-23, 06:12 PM
Merv doesn't actually have one at the moment, I'll get a warhorse in town I guess.

Roll for warhorse hp: [roll0]

Myrien, Merv's heavy warhorse animal companion:

Myrien (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=249103)
Male Neutral Heavy Warhorse Animal Companion, Level 6, Init +2, HP 60/60, Speed 50
AC 20, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 4
Hoof +7 (1d8+4, x2)
Hoof +7 (1d8+4, x2)
Bite +2 (1d4+2, x2)
Studded Leather Barding (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Natural)
Abilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Condition None

zenanarchist
2010-10-23, 06:22 PM
Walking next to Lyra's mounted form Xenith looks up at her.

I believe we are both practitioners of the mental arts, my lady?

Grendus
2010-10-23, 06:45 PM
Sorry about the double post, after I rolled Myrien's HP I realized I wanted to make a spot check (opposed by a Slight of Hand check from Lady Moreta) to see what Lyra palmed and needed to make a Wild Empathy check for Lyra's horse to calm it down.

Spot check: [roll0]
Wild Empathy Check: [roll1] (forgot, TG Ranger uses wisdom instead of charisma for wild empathy)

Holy crap, natural 20 spot check!

After the previous before leaving town, but before the previous after leaving town

As the sun rises, Merv follows the smell of animals to the local stables, searching for a new animal companion (his previous one, a badger, was a fine companion but never really got the hang of the "run" command). After checking with a few traders, he selects a large warhorse and tracks down some worn military equipment without too many bloodstains to go with it. Satisfied with his purchase, he leads the horse back to the inn and takes care of some basic grooming and training necessities before the journey.

Before the previous after leaving town, but after the previous before leaving town (your mind... is it blown yet?)

Merv walks over to Lyra's horse and gently strokes it's muzzle, calming it to make it stand still. Stepping around to the side Lyra's on, he drops to one knee and folds his hands into a step. "Put your foot on my hands and I'll lift you up," he says, bracing his other leg on the ground. "Once you're high enough, swing your other leg over the saddle and sit on it. Grab the pommel - that's the hard thing that sticks up right in front of you - to get your balance. After you're up there, I'll help you get your feet into the stirrups - those are the leather loops down here - and get them adjusted. It's all easy from there."

He chuckles, then asks, "So is this your first time to ride a horse?"

Lady Moreta
2010-10-24, 06:24 AM
With Merv's help, Lyra scrambled rather awkwardly into the saddle, clinging to the pommel like a lifeline.

"Yes, it is. I'm a city girl through and through"

And since you asked so nicely, have a sleight of hand check:
[roll0]

Oh, you beat me :smallsmile: It's a small signal whistle, easily something thieves might use to warn each other that someone is coming. Why Lyra feels the need to have it handy now is anyone's guess
OOC:
Having just read Zen's message in the OOC thread, I'm going to ignore Xenith's comment until such time as Dev makes a ruling on the character :smallfrown:

Grendus
2010-10-24, 02:21 PM
Ahh, ok. Just wanted to make sure you weren't stealing from the inn (like I did... probably should leave some copper for the garlic I took)

I'm also curious, are the horses Henry is providing the generic riding type or war horses?
Merv nods, untying the horses reigns from the post. "I see." He hands her the reigns, his other hand absentmindedly stroking the horse's snout. "Luckily, riding a horse outside of combat is pretty easy. For the most part, he should just follow the other horses. The only things you need to remember are to click your tongue when you want him to start walking or walk faster, pull the reigns back when you want him to slow down or stop, and pull the reigns to the left or right if you want him to turn."

He walks around the side of the horse, quickly adjusting the stirrups and helping Lyra get her feet through them. "There. You should be good to go," he says, stepping back to look the horse over. "I wouldn't recommend trying to ride him into combat without practice, but for transportation nothing beats a horse. They're intelligent, loyal, and brave - like a 700 pound riding dog." He does one last check over the saddle and straps, then asks, "Anything else?"

Lady Moreta
2010-10-24, 10:34 PM
OOC: I'm going to divide this with spoilers - responding to Merv first & then Xenith. Also, Grendus, my character's name is Lyra (not Myra) :smallsmile:

Merv: Still in Town
Lyra carefully clucks her tongue at the horse, and looks delighted as it starts to move.

"Thank you!"

Xenith: On The Way

Lyra glances down at Xenith, before jerking her eyes back up to the horse. She seems a little nervous about being mounted; and a little baffled by the question.

"Practitioners of the what now?"

Dev:
She's not actually bluffing in this instance, she really doesn't know exactly what it is she does.

Devmaar
2010-10-25, 10:08 AM
Xenith to Lyra: Huh, I suppose not. he looks suspicious as he moves away.

Halfling: Hello! I need some assistance. Thanks to a careless horseman my wagon is overturned and my donkey has escaped. My friend has gone to find the donkey but could you help me lift the cart?

Belthasar
2010-10-25, 02:58 PM
"Surely I'll be glad to assist you, my friend."

Ket'Thull dismounts, walks close to the wagon and puts his hands on the lowest part of it, ready to slowly turn it. "Any help here, gentlemen?"

OOC:

I'll make a Strength check just in case. If any one of you could help me, I'd receive a circumstance bonus. :smallsmile:

[roll0]

"I'm Ket'Thull," he says to the halfling. "What's your name?"

Grendus
2010-10-25, 10:55 PM
Oops. Night shift really throws me off, it's surprising I was only one letter off. I changed it.

Strength check: [roll0] plus whatever circumstance bonus having multiple people gives.

Merv reaches into his backpack for a rope. Realizing he doesn't have one, he dismounts and braces his shoulder against the wagon. "Not a problem at all," he says, grunting as he attempts to lift the wagon. "So what brings you down this road?"

Lady Moreta
2010-10-25, 11:04 PM
Lyra stares after Xenith briefly, looking confused. She turns back to the main group as the halfling speaks.

"I'm so glad you said 'gentlemen' then," she grins at Ket'Thull. "It quite nicely excludes me. Not that I think I'd be much help anyway."

She continues to look around the area

"What direction did your friend go in?"

Also, did I see anything at all with that spot check? Or am I just going "oooh look, a horsie!"

Belthasar
2010-10-25, 11:15 PM
Ket'Thull while turning the wagon...

"Heh... I admire your courage, young Lyra, and I'm sorry if I offended you, but your exclusion was not unintentional... A young lady must not tear her soft hands with such difficcult task..."

He then added, smiling at Lyra: "However, you can help us if you wish so... Come!"

OOC:

Grendus, you should roll again. :smalltongue:

Grendus
2010-10-25, 11:21 PM
Sigh, freakin edit. Still sleep deprived.

Rerolling strength check: [roll0]

Lady Moreta
2010-10-26, 12:17 AM
Lyra stares at Ket'Thull for a minute, before realising that he is, in fact, serious. She promptly bursts into laughter.

"I was joking Ket'Thull. I'm not at all offended, I'm small. Being small generally means being unable to help in terms of brute strength. I'm quite used to it." She takes her hands off the reins briefly and examines them. "My hands aren't particularly soft though, but I appreciate the thought."

She grins at him before carefully nudging her horse closer. She tugs the pack off her back and starts rummaging around in it.

"On the other hand, if it's rope you need - that I can help with." She tugs out a coil of silk rope and leans over. "I'd come down there and hand it to you, but I'm afraid Merv forgot to mention how you get down!"

Devmaar
2010-10-26, 06:51 AM
As you right the wagon you see this symbol carved on its floorhttp://shackled-city.wdfiles.com/local--files/religion/Erythnul.gif
(knowledge religion checks).
The halfling speaks: My name is Berranly, my friend headed in that direction pointing vaguely to the left of the bridge. Many thanks for your assistance.

He climbs into the wagon and sits waiting for his companion.

Grendus
2010-10-26, 02:16 PM
No ranks in Knowledge(Religion). Can't make a check.
However, there may be other ways...
Sense Motive check for his answer to my question - might as well save time [roll0]
Survival check to see if a human and donkey went the way he pointed [roll1]

I assumed that Fharlanghn, god of roads, would be somewhat common knowledge, seeing as his temples are set up along major roads, so our characters would have feasibly known about him even without Knowledge(Religion), while Erythnul (the symbol on the cart... what, he's right next to Fharlanghn in the PHB) isn't worshiped much in good lands, so his symbol would be less known

Merv chuckles. "For getting down, Lyra, you simply let gravity do it's work," he says, hopping gracefully up onto his own mount.

Noticing the symbol on the base of the wagon, he remarks "You must be a very pious fellow, to carry your deities mark on your wagon. It is odd though, I would have expected a tribute to Fharlanghn god of roads on the wagon of a trader. To which god does this symbol refer?"

DoctorHobo
2010-10-26, 04:37 PM
Daxter stayed on the horse and kept his wand resting against his thigh. "I'd come offer my assistance, but I'm afraid I'm not the specimens of physicality the two of you are," he called out to Ket'Thull and Merv with a laugh. "I'm of better use in a supervisory role."

Daxter's read too many tales of roadside bandits to disarm himself too quickly. Though he assumed this was simply someone with wagon troubles, one could hope for a little excitement. Daxter focused on the woods, trying to overhear advancing bandits.

Listen Check [roll0]

Devmaar
2010-10-26, 08:57 PM
It is the symbol of Moaray, a god of farming in the lands I hail from.
Merv: you sense no dishonesty. You see tracks in the drection indicated, but think they belong to a horse rather than a donkey. From the tracks following them, you guess that the 'friend' is big. At least as big as Ket'Thull.

Ket'Thull: you recognise the symbol of Erythnul, a god of chaos and slaughter. You know his followers have a tendency towards deceit and often share his sadist tendencies. Further, you recognise some of the herbs in the wagon as being used in certain unholy rituals.

Daxter hears nothing

Lady Moreta
2010-10-26, 09:12 PM
Lyra peers over the shoulder of her horse at the ground, and promptly decides to stay right where she is. She watches as Merv and Ket'Thull take a look at something on the wagon, curious she listens intently to Merv's question.

Sense motive also, if I may:
[roll0]

She watches as Daxter appears to be listening intently, and nudges her horse closer to his.

"What are you listening for?"

(OOC: whoops, beaten by the DM. I'll leave the post and my sense motive as is, if I may)

Belthasar
2010-10-26, 09:41 PM
Upon seeing the unholy symbol on the wagon, he cordial and smiling Ket'Thull suddenly turns serious. He remembered it clearly: Erythnull followers are sadistic maniacs who feast on the slaughter of people, innocent or not. They are like animals, or savage beasts.

"You're lying," he says to Berranly with his powerful voice. "Or at least hiding something. Which kind of farming do actually your people do?"

He slowly walks towards the halfling.

"Do you sow humanoid bodies?"

Another step, slowly.

"Do you water them with blood??"

Another step.

"Do you harvest undead abominations at the cost of innocent lives??"

Another step. Cold, fearful glance looking at him, as if the half-orc was looking deeply into the halfling's soul.

Detect Evil on the halfling.

"Tell us."

Grendus
2010-10-26, 10:50 PM
Merv draws his mainhand sword and mutters "Naur," activating the enchantment in the blade.

"Guys... I don't think his friend is another gnome. Probably an orc or half orc, big guy. He may be on a horse, those aren't donkey tracks," he says, leaning slightly over to peer at the ground. He nudges Myrien forward to investigate the tracks closer, staying within 20 feet of the party. He draws his other scimitar, guiding his horse with his knees. "Which begs the question as to why he needed a traveler's help to right his wagon."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-26, 11:16 PM
Lyra looks startled at the others' words and promptly slithers off her horse. She frees her short bow and takes an arrow in her other hand, she moves catiously away from the horse, intending to circle around and get behind the wagon if she can.

"Clearly Merv, you've never set an ambush before. I can think of plenty of reasons he needed 'help'.

Lyra keeps moving, but her eyes are darting everywhere.

Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]
edit: I can see! but I can't hear...

OOC:
Is there any chance we might be able to get a map/outline of where everyone is? I'm having trouble visualising the scene and if we end up in a fight, I'm gonna need it.

Grendus
2010-10-26, 11:34 PM
Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

"Clearly you've never heard irony before," Merv replied, scanning the foliage. "I didn't draw my sword to illuminate the tracks. Though since we're the only armed people on the road and they chose to ambush us, as opposed to some helpless peasant, I'm guessing they aren't mere bandits."

Lady Moreta
2010-10-26, 11:40 PM
"Clearly not," Lyra grins. "I thank you for the education."

She comes to a stop and loosely knocks an arrow to her bowstring. She is careful not to point it directly at the halfling, but simply raising her hands would have him in her sights.

DoctorHobo
2010-10-27, 12:39 AM
Daxter nudged his horse over to meet Lyra's advancing steed and whispered to her. "For an ambush, but I don't hear anything..."
He raised an eyebrow at the paladin advancing on the halfling. "What are you saying, Ket'Thull? Is this man a danger?" He raised his wand and pointed it at the halfling, grin on his face.

Belthasar
2010-10-27, 12:49 AM
Ket'Thull saw weapons and magic objects readied for battle.

"Hold on, my friends," he said to his companions raising a hand. "There's no need for violence..."

Then he directs at the halfling again. "Unless our friend here either forces us to, or refuses to tell us his real name..."

He knew from experience that Erythnul followers are compulsive liars and frequent deceivers.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-27, 02:10 AM
Lyra glances at Daxter briefly

"In an ambush, you aren't supposed to hear anything."

She rolls her eyes as Ket'Thull speaks

"Call it insurance," she says.

"There is such a thing as being too trusting" she mutters under her breath.

Devmaar
2010-10-30, 04:39 PM
OOC:I can't do maps (if anyone else wants to, it'd be awesome) but the layout is this.

The cart is now set up about 5' to the right of the road and about 20' from the river. Ket'Thull and the halfling are by the cart on the side away from the road. Merv is standing further from the road by the tracks. The others are standing around behind Ket'Thull, so on the same side of the road, but further from the river.

Ket'Thull: 1st round of detect: there is evil here

Lyra: You think you catch a glimpse of something by the bridge. You also get the strong feeling that the halfling is lying

Merv: You're not sure, but you think you see something move by the bridge

Fine! Fine! It's not a god of farming, but I didn't carve the symbol! The wagon was vandalised while I slept one night. I can't afford to replace it and I tell people it's Moaray just so situations like this don't happen! Please don't hurt me!

Belthasar
2010-10-30, 07:28 PM
OOC:

If allowed, I want to make a Sense Motive check:
1d20+7
(I ruined the roll. I'll do it in the OOC thread.)

Also, I maintain the Detect Evil spell to detect the number of evil auras in the area, and the power of the most potent evil aura present.

Ket'Thull looks suspiciously at the halfling. "Proove yourself," he says firmly. "I guess I can bless this wagon. And bless you too, for I have plenty of holy water... Unless you destroy the symbol and those unholy herbs by yourself..."

His hand slowly reaching the sword hilt.

Grendus
2010-10-30, 08:12 PM
Spot and Listen checks, respectively, as I move towards the river:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ride check to steer horse with my knees [roll2]

Edit: Awesome, a natural 20 spot check and a natural 1 ride check. Go figure.

"I think I saw something by the river," he says, turning his horse suddenly. He loses his balance slightly, gracelessly grabbing the pommel of Myrien's saddle to stay up, then nudges his animal companion forward. "Lyra, cover me. Daxter, you stay here and help Ket'Thul intimidate the halfling," he mutters as Myrien walks towards the river.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-31, 05:31 AM
Lyra is already moving towards Merv as he speaks

"I saw it" she says, raising the bow in her hands to cover Merv, eyes scanning the area.

"Also, Berranly or whatever your name is - you are lying."

She moves cautiously to a spot where she can see both Merv and the surrounding area, arrow ready on the string.

Spot:
[roll0]
Listen:
[roll1]

Ack. I swear Lyra has earplugs in :smallmad:

Also, would like to ready an action to shoot if anyone jumps out of the forest and attacks Merv. Just in case :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2010-10-31, 07:08 AM
Ket'Thull: He's lying, he also seems increasingly nervous as Merv and Lyra move towards the river. The detect Evil discovers two auras and the strongest is a strong aura.

Lyra: You can't see anything

Merv: Again, you think you glimpse something move on the bank, and you can hear footsteps.

The halfling thrusts a hand forward and shouts Cunriatuun, I thhuuta xuia! (Ket'Thull needs to make a will save)

Roll initiative when you post your combat actions. Once everyone's posted I'll sum-up the round (the halfling's spell was the surprise round).

Belthasar
2010-10-31, 08:56 AM
"He's an evildoer as expected!!" Ket'thull shouts to everyone while drawing his sword.

OOC:

I stop mantaining Detect Evil. I already know what I need to know.

Will save: [roll0]

DoctorHobo
2010-10-31, 11:40 AM
Daxter's eyes shoot open as the halfling casts his spell, and in response he slips off of his horse and fires a barrage of magic missiles from his wand. Four dart of energy flying through the air towards the halfing.

Rolls
Initiative:[roll0]
Magic Missile Damage: [roll1]

Grendus
2010-10-31, 03:55 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
And again with the spot and listen checks, just because.
[roll1] Listen
[roll2] Spot

Edit: Dang, another natural 20. Change of plans, I'm going to differ until after the creature at the river moves.

Merv moves the remaining 10 feet towards the river.

If who/what is at the river either charges or flees, I may change my action, this is presuming he stays hidden.

Merv spurs Myrien towards the river, flaming sword held ready, eyes alert for a medium sized creature hiding.

Belthasar
2010-10-31, 04:52 PM
OOC:

Initiative: [roll0]

"Your corrupt sorcery cannot withstand the heavenly power of Heironeous the Invincible!"

Ket'Thull draws his sword and calls Sharg (his mount) to the battlefield in order for both to attack or incapacitate the halfling.

At the same time he mumbles a short prayer to Heironeous, and the edge of his sword looks covered in lightning.

OOC:

I called Sharg to surround the halfling while I activated the power of my bastard sword of shock.

He then attacks the halfling with two fierce slashes of his bastard sword.

OOC:

Full attack:
Slash 1: [roll1], damage: [roll2] plus [roll3] electricity.
Slash 2: [roll4], damage: [roll5] plus [roll6] electricity.

Note: If the halfling moves more than 5-ft before I make a full attack, I'll follow him and do one attack instead.

"There's another evil source! It's no more than 60 feet in that direction!" he shouts to his allies.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-31, 10:08 PM
Lyra glances behind her, but the others seem to have the halfling well in hand. Merv is moving purposefully towards the river, apparently looking for something she hasn't seen.

At Ket'Thull's words, she turns in the direction he indicates, and moves that way, bow ready in her hands.

She will head in the direction of the 'other evil source' assuming that it's not the same direction as Merv. If it is, she'll just join him. Either way, readying an action to shoot.

Also:
Initiative:
Spot: [roll]1d20+12 - stupid thing, will try again in the ooc thread

Dev:
I'm an idiot and forgot Lyra had precognition going on. It lasts for 10 mins and I'm assuming it hasn't been 10mins yet. If it has, knock 2 off the spot check.

Devmaar
2010-11-03, 10:25 AM
Lyra moves in the direction Ket'Thull indicates but can't see anything.

The halfling draws a dagger and stabs at Ket'Thull, nicking his arm and then awkwardly deflecting off his armour. (4 hp damage).
Ket'Thull calls to his mount before viciously attacking the halfling, his first swing cutting into the halfling's leg, his second swinging wide as the foe ducks out of the way.

Over by the river Merv is acting cautiously as if he expects something to appear. It does. Suddenly, an armoured orc appears from thin air, running at Merv and yelling a warcry. it swings a flail which smashes into Merv's side with a crunching sound. (14 hp damage).
Merv and his horse unleash a flurry of attacks on the orc, but only one draws blood.

Sharg, Ket'Thull's horse, moves so that the halfling is between them and slams its hoof into his back, although the halfling doesn't seem hurt.

Daxter shouts out a magical command: Naguth Nuttufta! causing four barely-visible bolts of energy to fly towards the halfing, they knock into his side, appearing to wind him.

Grendus
2010-11-03, 11:47 AM
Merv is riding Myrien. Also, because the orc charged, unless he got higher than a 26 on his initiative Merv and Myrien get a grand total of 7 attacks. If the orc would not have attacked until Merv moved, we need to work out what happened. If he would have...

Ride check to use both scimitars: [roll0]
Ride check to attack from the back of a warhorse: [roll1]

First mainhand scimitar attack roll: [roll2]
First mainhand scimitar damage roll: [roll3]

First offhand scimitar attack roll: [roll4]
First offhand scimitar damage roll: [roll5]

Second mainhand scimitar attack roll: [roll6]
Second mainhand scimitar damage roll: [roll7]

Second offhand scimitar attack roll: [roll8]
Second offhand scimitar damage roll: [roll9]

Myrien's attacks
First hoof attack: [roll10]
First hoof damage: [roll11]

Second hoof attack: [roll12]
Second hoof damage: [roll13]

Third bite attack: [roll14]
Third bite damage: [roll15]

If you rolled a full attack out that's fine, but I would really like to make my character's rolls myself. Half the fun of designing the character is seeing the actual attack and damage rolls it can pull off.

A lot's going to depend on the orc's AC I suppose. Not bad rolls, but not incredible.

Merv grunts as the flail smashes into him, bruising his ribs. "You'll pay for that," he snarls, bringing his scimitars down in a frenzy of razor slashes. Myrien, sensing his rider's anger rears up and lashes out with is own hooves and teeth.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-03, 10:07 PM
Daxter repeats his command words and unleashes magic missiles at the halfling once more, staying out of range.

4d4+4

Lady Moreta
2010-11-03, 10:13 PM
Lyra is scanning intently, and starts swearing when she can't see anything.

"Where the hell is this guy?" she hisses in frustration.

Glancing to the side, she notes that Daxter and Ket'Thull seem to have things in hand. She looks towards Merv instead.

"Do you need a hand?" she calls to him, adding,"There's something out there, but I can't see it. I might as well do something useful!"

OOC:
Just to clarify, the orc Merv is attacking, and the mysterious 'evil' that she can't see are different?

Belthasar
2010-11-03, 10:30 PM
"Almighty Heironeous, grant me strength to punish the corrupt deceivers..."

Ket'Thull gathers inner strength, and he suddenly is surrounded by a small divine aura.

I activate Divine Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#divineMight): As a swift action I spend one use of Turn Undead to gain a +3 bonus on damage rolls for this round.

He silently and quickly starts to swing his sword, which brights with lightning and a strange, luminous force.

Full-attack, but before, I activate two things.

Firstly, I use Power Attack (-1 attack, +1 damage). Secondly, Smite Evil (so I can get +3 attack and +7 damage).

Now the rolls, without considering the flanking bonuses:
·Attack 1: [roll0]. Damage: [roll1] plus 1 (power attack), plus [roll2] lightning.
·Attack 2: [roll3]. Damage: [roll4] plus 1 (power attack), plus [roll5] lightning.

Then he makes a small gesture to Sharg.

Sharg is intended to pin the halfling under his hooves. If I'm allowed, I'd like to roll it, if not, just ignore the results and DM can roll them himself. :smallsmile:

Hoove touch attack (without counting the flanking bonuses): [roll6]
Opposed strength trip check: [roll7]

EDIT:

Whoops, forgot to include the Power Attack damage bonus. :smalltongue:

I corrected it.

Grendus
2010-11-04, 06:34 PM
Oh yea, I should probably post my actions for the next round, shouldn't I.

Same as last time (I should probably save the rolling code somewhere, shouldn't I?), full attack from both Merv and Myrien.

Ride check to use both scimitars: [roll0]
Ride check to attack from the back of a warhorse: [roll1]

First mainhand scimitar attack roll: [roll2]
First mainhand scimitar damage roll: [roll3]

First offhand scimitar attack roll: [roll4]
First offhand scimitar damage roll: [roll5]

Second mainhand scimitar attack roll: [roll6]
Second mainhand scimitar damage roll: [roll7]

Second offhand scimitar attack roll: [roll8]
Second offhand scimitar damage roll: [roll9]

Myrien's attacks
First hoof attack: [roll10]
First hoof damage: [roll11]

Second hoof attack: [roll12]
Second hoof damage: [roll13]

Third bite attack: [roll14]
Third bite damage: [roll15]

And a few d20 rolls in case I get a threat roll, for confirmation.
[roll16]

Hmm, the first offhand strike might actually crit, natural 19, which is a threat with a scimitar, and then a 26 to confirm (+13 attack, I only rolled 20's for confirmation). So that second roll... probably really hurt.

"I'll always... urgh... take the help," Merv grunts as he swings his swords in a complicated pattern, all his concentration focused on keeping his blades from striking each other or his horse. "Think I got him though."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-04, 09:08 PM
Lyra flicks her gaze between Merv and the area that contained - something.

"Damn it!" She swore softly, then rapidly stowed her bow and drew her shortsword instead. Cautiously, she moved forward and began using the point of the sword to check for anything solid, scaning the ground for any signs of movement.

"Daxter!" she calls, "do you have anything in that book of yours to make invisible things visible? There's something out here, but I think it's invisible."

Spot & listen please, to see if there is any ground displaced, leaves moved, anything to indicate where someone/thing might be. And listen to see if she can hear breathing/movement/etc
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Keeping her head up, Lyra reaches for a handful of dirt and throws it in a wide arc, hoping to catch whatever is hidden and outline it.

Devmaar
2010-11-05, 11:56 AM
Lyra pulls out her sword and throws a handful of dirt ahead of her, but this does not accomplish anything.

The halfling draws a thrusts a hand at Ket'Thull with a cry of Unrftuths Th'Usuthaft Ghuiangt. (28 hp damage, will save 18 for half).
Ket'Thull swings his sword viciously at the halfling, leaving him bleeding on the floor.

The orc shouts Ftiaiasian, as it swings a hand towards Merv. (8 con damage, fort save 18 negates).
Merv again attacks the orc, this time cutting him down mercilessly.

>>Sharg and Daxter haven't acted but the posted actions no longer make sense. Go ahead and post new actions if you want to.

Belthasar
2010-11-05, 03:20 PM
Ket'Thull lowers his sword as its lightning fades. Then he get closer to the halfling and checks his status out.

I want to see if the halfling is dead or dying. If he's dying, I'll use Lay on Hands on him, healing 1 hp, but stabilizing him. If that's the case, I'll watch him until one of my companions come with a rope to tie him.

If he's dead, there's nothing I can do. Except, maybe, Detect Evil again on the same source. This time I'll concentrate enough to locate the exact sources of evil.

Grendus
2010-11-05, 04:09 PM
Crap, it couldn't have been an... I don't know... reflex save?
Fort Save: [roll0]

And might as well try to stabilize the orc, if only so I can coup de grace him later.

Heal check: [roll1]

Merv gasps and coughs as the orcs spell hits him. "Thrice damned evil wizardry," he snarls, jumping off Myrien and kicking the orc's limp body. "Accept your fate, *cough*, do you have to leave something to remember you by? You already *grunt* did that with the flail." He bends down, spitting out a small amount of blood, and begins to rip the orc's clothing into bandages to stabilize him. Finishing, he throws the orc over Myrien and begins to head back towards Ket'Thul and Daxter.

Devmaar
2010-11-05, 07:29 PM
Merv: You recognise the effects of a strong poison coursing through your veins.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-05, 08:27 PM
Lyra starts swearing again, she has a suprisingly broad vocabulary. She tosses a glance over her shoulder and sees that both the halfling and orc are down.

"Daxter!" she yells a little impatiently. "Anything? Anything at all that might help? I don't like enemies I can't see."

Still wary, she finds and tosses another handful of dirt, hoping for more luck this time.

Belthasar
2010-11-05, 08:34 PM
Ket'Thull examines the halfling's body. "Dead." He prays to Heironeous for the misguided soul of the halfling.

Then he sees Merv walking slowly and coughing. "Merv!" he says running to the elf. "Are you alright? Let me treat you!"

Once Merv tells me he's poisoned, I'll try to remove it by making either an untrained Heal check, or give a circumstance bonus to it:

[roll0]

Then he invokes the restorative power of Heironeous to restore Merv's health and fill his heart with courage.

Lesser Restoration on Merv. I rolled on the OOC thread.

It has a 3 round casting time, so it's a 18 seconds prayer.

"Are you all fine?" he says to everyone. "Young Lyra? Daxter? Xenith? Cori- ...Wait..."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-05, 09:07 PM
"I'm fine!" Lyra snaps irritated. "Where the hell did you say this other evil thing was?" Her eyes flick sideways for a second, "Merv, you all right?

DoctorHobo
2010-11-06, 09:24 AM
Daxter bounds off across the field to Lyra's side, wand held bravely in front of him at the end of an outstretched arm. "Invisibility? I have something that could work, but I'm going to need you to be a little bit specific as to where the thing might be." The wizard raised his free hand, fingers spread and palm facing straight forward. "I'm afraid I've only got one shot at this."

Belthasar
2010-11-06, 11:05 AM
"Wait a little, young Lyra, while I help Merv over here..."

After 18 seconds, Ket'Thull is finished healing Merv. "There you go, my friend. Sorry if It's not too much, but you'll survive."

Then he stands up, looks around and goes towards the unconscious orc, and stabilizes him with a touch. "We'll be needing a rope or something to tie this evildoer down."

Lay on Hands on the orc, restoring 1 hp to stabilize him. If the orc is already dead, then the power is not spent.

"Right on a minute, young Lyra," he says smiling to her. "Sorry for my late reply, but I think there are things that must be dealt with before..."

Following that action, Ket'Thull stands up again, and returns to his former position, when he was interogating the halfling, and invokes Heironeous' vision to detect any source of evil.

Detect Evil from the same point as I was before. This time I'll wait 3 rounds to know the exact location (and power) of the evil auras.

Devmaar
2010-11-06, 11:16 AM
Ket'Thull: The orc is still alive but Merv made a heal check so you can save your power.

You sense a strong aura coming from the halfling's body, in addition to the dim, lingering aura of the evildoer himself.

Belthasar
2010-11-06, 11:50 AM
"There's the source..." Ket'Thull points to the dead halfling. "He's holding something evil within him... Perhaps his unholy symbol. Back-off, lady and gentlement, I'll go check it out."

He approaches the halfling, and carefully searches for the source of evil, with gauntlets and a dagger in his other hand.

Now I know the exact location of the evil aura source, so I carefully examine it.

Grendus
2010-11-06, 02:46 PM
Merv dumps the orc unceremoniously into the cart. "I've been through worse *cough*," he grunts. He climbs up onto the wagon, pushing the halfling's corpse off the edge, and stretches out. "You should see the other guy."

Devmaar
2010-11-06, 09:32 PM
Ket'Thull: It's an amulet around the halfling's neck, carved from some dull metal.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-06, 10:49 PM
Daxter drops his guard a bit and rolls his eyes as a smirk curls his lips. He nudges Lyra's arm as he walks away and towards the fallen halfling. "Something invisible. Right." He keeps his eyes on Ket'Thull and the halfling, wand raised and trained on the corpse.

Belthasar
2010-11-06, 10:59 PM
Ket'Thull carefully uses his dagger to remove carefully the amulet of the halfling's neck (he doesn't cut through the corpse's flesh though, just uses the dagger to avoid to touch the unholy object).

"This is the evil source I told you before, my friends," Ket'Thull says. "Daxter, do you think you can use your arcane knowledge to analyze it? It could contain more clues about the objectives of these defilers, or we could even know if they bear any relation to the undead we're looking for..."

After that, he walks towards the orc prisoner...

OOC:
Did you tie and gag the orc?

DoctorHobo
2010-11-06, 11:17 PM
"It will be done," Daxter replied in Orc, accepting the amulet and looking it over.

Knowledge Arcane (If applicable) [roll0]

Lady Moreta
2010-11-07, 03:49 AM
Lyra glares at the back of Daxter's head as he walks away

"Oh shut up," she mutters, moving over to join them.

She stares down at the dead halfing, her expression slightly disturbed. She shoots a glance at Ket'Thull that appears oddly nervous, but she doesn't say anything.

"Well, I guess we should see what else they're carrying," she says. "Anyone object? Good." Without actually waiting for an answer, Lyra drops to her knees and starts to search the dead halfling.

Search: [roll0]

Devmaar
2010-11-07, 07:33 AM
OOC: The orc hasn't been tied up.

Daxter: The amulet is covered in a finely carved script. Although you don't recognise the writing at first, you work out the text is written in a blend of Abyssal and Infernal. You are unable to glean any meaning from the writing.

Lyra: Aside from the amulet Daxter is studying and the dagger lying on the ground, the halfling appears to be carrying nothing but a handful of small change (8Cp, 2 Sp)

Lady Moreta
2010-11-07, 08:01 AM
Lyra leans back from the halfling, a handful of small coins in her hand.

"Well, he doesn't seem to have anything interesting on him." She rises easily to her feet, giving the dead halfling one last long look.

She moves over to the half-orc, tugging rope from her pack as she does. She kneels beside him and ties a few neat knots.

"Someone wanna check my knots?" She asks. She then leans forward and starts rifling through the half-orc's gear.

Search again: [roll0]
Wheee, rolled a 20 :smallbiggrin:

DoctorHobo
2010-11-07, 03:53 PM
Daxter fretted a bit as he eyed the amulet. "There's not much I can tell you other than what you'd suspect. The writing on it is in a blend of the languages of demons and devils, which is... concerning. To say the least." He held the amulet high above his head, dangling by its chain. "If we've got a lot of free time, I could do a more extensive study. It could be related to our work with the vampire, after all, and information is a powerful tool." He tossed the amulet back to Ket-Thull. "Or it could be utterly unrelated and the vampire could be biding his time or even spying on us with divination at this very moment." At his last statement, Daxter fell silent and looked up at the sky suspiciously before cursing at it with dwarven profanities.

Devmaar
2010-11-07, 04:15 PM
Lyra: The Orc had 11 Cp, 1 Sp and a pocketknife, as well as a pendant engraved with the same symbol as that on the wagon. You also find a small tattoo on his heel, it's a blue circle, bisected by a black line. It looks like it was done quite recently.

Grendus
2010-11-07, 10:01 PM
I presume he was wearing armor as well? He had an ac around 20, judging by how most of my attacks below 20 didn't land. Unless he had a dex of around 30...

Oh, and if you want to palm the other items you'll have to make a slight of hand check. Sorry, Merv trusts Lyra in combat, but when it comes to an even splitting of the loot he still sees her as a pickpocket.

Merv rolls over to watch Lyra search the orc. "I left his flail over there, he says, gesturing to a point about 30 degrees left of where they had actually fought. "It's the giant pool of blood, you can't miss it." He curls up a bit as the poison begins to cause some mild nausea. "I think I'm going to travel like this for now. Myrien can pull the cart, he doesn't mind."

Myrien gives Merv a look that says quite clearly "I'm a warhorse, not a cart horse", but grudgingly moves to the front of the cart, waiting to be harnessed.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-07, 11:58 PM
Lyra sits back on her heels, a small pocketknife in one hand, dangling a pendant from the fingers of the other.

"Looks like it has the same mark on it as the card did," she says, swinging it idly on her hand. She shrugs slightly

"Might be handy to keep. You never know" she tucks it into the top of her pack. "There is this though" she adds, touching the half-orc's heel with the pocketknife, it's an odd looking tattoo - a blue circle bisceted by a straight black line. "Anyone recognise it? It looks like it was done recently."

She rests her hands on her hips briefly, then hops nimbly to her feet, moving away from the half-orc towards the flail and the pool of blood.

"Do we want to keep this?" she asks.

Oh, and if you want to palm the other items you'll have to make a slight of hand check. Sorry, Merv trusts Lyra in combat, but when it comes to an even splitting of the loot he still sees her as a pickpocket.
But of course, she is a pickpocket, and I wouldn't trust her either :smalltongue:
Slight of hand... oh dammnit... I don't know what her modifier is because I can't access mythweavers. If you wouldn't mind - could one of you check her character sheet and do the roll for me? I don't want to make everyone wait til I get home from work...

Grendus
2010-11-08, 10:16 AM
Sigh, gotta find a way to get you around that. Have you tried google translate or a good proxy server? Or maybe learn a new sheet website, I've seen three or four different ones being used here.

Your sleight of hand modifier is +10:[roll0]
My spot modifier is +8:[roll1]

"I don't see any reason not to *urp*. Doubly so since we have the cart now. Worst case, we abandon the cart to do a more stealthy run and it's gone when we get back. Best case, it's masterwork or enchanted and worth a couple hundred gold apiece," he says, rolling over in the other direction. Quivering, he vomits over the edge, then draws his mainhand scimitar, mutters "naur", and begins to blacken the unholy symbol on the cart.

Belthasar
2010-11-08, 01:57 PM
Did Lyra tied the orc?

"We have a prisoner, an evil amulet, a cart with an unholy crest, and weapons carried by cultists..." says Ket'Thull carefully. "I don't see any reason to keep them, my friends."

He walks around looking at the bridge. The turns on his comrades. "Except for the prisoner, maybe. I speak the language of the orcs; perhaps I can persuade him to spit the truth... On the other hand, Merv still needs to recover before meeting our target, so the cart could be useful for carrying him at least. As we advance, and night falls, I could ask Heironeous for more restorative prayers to help him."

He's about to ride Sharg, when he remembers something. "Oh right! And those unholy herbs. Destroy them."

I want to make a Knowledge (Religion) check to see if there is a side effect of burning the herbs. I'll roll it on the OOC thread.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-08, 02:15 PM
Daxter laughed just a bit as he crossed his arms. "One moment you're going on about ridding ourselves of unpure weaponry and the next you're talking about torture. I say we keep all the gear and make what money we can off it. After all, we've got a nice big cart to carry it in now."

Belthasar
2010-11-08, 02:30 PM
"Torture?" Ket'Thull raised his eyebrows, almost surprised by Daxter's word, but smiled slightly. "Not even these misguided souls deserve that fate, my friend. There are other forms of persuading, none of them includes violence."

He then stops. "Alright," he says. "Agreed. If we pass by a settlement, you all can keep the money of the gear if you wish, or distribute it as you seem fit. However, my instinct tells me that the amulet is dangerous to whoever people that would want to purchase it..."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-08, 08:57 PM
Yes, Lyra tied the orc, she did not, however, gag him.

Lyra wanders over to the flail in the pool of blood, swerving around the dead halfing as she goes. She reaches for it, and looks up, amused as Ket'Thull speaks

"You'd need to be pretty persuasive. For that matter, what makes you think you'll be able to trust anything he says?" She eyes the paladin, one eyebrow raised.

She drags the flail through the grass, turning it over and over to clean the blood off it. Once again, she veers to avoid the halfling. Reaching the cart, she hefts the weapon and tosses it into the wagon bed and returns her focus to the conversation.

"Sometimes the violent ones are more effective though" she mutters. She wanders off again, this time to retrieve her horse.

"I don't mind what you do with the evil amulet, evil things give me the creeps. But I think I'll keep the one the orc was wearing. Just in case." Lyra catches up the reins of her horse and clucks her tongue in imitation of Merv.

Grendus
2010-11-08, 11:00 PM
"I wouldn't discard the amulet just yet," Merv says, taking his attention briefly from the now badly marred symbol on the cart. "Best to let Dax try and identify it first. For all we know, they're thieves who stole a perfectly neutral artifact from a lich or something."

DoctorHobo
2010-11-08, 11:03 PM
Daxter intertwined his fingers behind his back and scooted sideways to Lyra. "Say. Can I have that flail? I mean, I can't use it, but I don't fight with weaponry anyway, and it's pretty neat..."

Belthasar
2010-11-08, 11:27 PM
"Heh," Ket'Thull says to Lyra. "My dear, sometimes words are sharper than steel. I'll make use of diplomacy to call a truce. If not, then I'm afraid I'll make his death quick and painless. I don't trust those deceivers either, but that's a good reference to begin with... We already KNOW that these cultists are compulsive liars, so we have the advantage here."

He turns to Merv. "My friend, once again you make a point there. Daxter can take his time to identify those ojects himself. I guess you can keep them, but for Heironeous' mercy, don't use them! At least not until Daxter identifies them properly. It's the same for the weapon over there."

He turns to Daxter: "Let me see if the weapon is evil as its owners..."

Detect Evil on the flail. And the item that Lyra caught from the orc.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-08, 11:58 PM
Daxter walked from Lyra to Ket'Thull to retake the amulet. "I can only identify one of them, but I think it's a fair bet that the two are identical." He took the amulet to the wagon, where he hopped inside and removed his haversack. From within, he collected a drought he'd concocted beforehand, a necessary step in his spell.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-09, 02:29 AM
Lyra rolls her eyes and mutters something about overbearing half-orcs with an excessive fondness for the words 'dear' and 'young'. Otherwise ignoring Ket'Thull, she raises a skeptical eyebrow at Daxter

"You want the flail? But you can't use it and you don't fight with weapons anyway?" She looks suspiciously at the wizard. "Daxter, what are you up to?"

Dax - what are you up to? My (and Lyra's) radar is pinging... should I be rolling sense motive or something?
Here, have one anyway, just in case:
Sense motive: [roll0]

OOC:

a drought he'd concocted beforehand
I read that as 'here's one I prepared earlier' at first :smallbiggrin:

DoctorHobo
2010-11-09, 02:58 AM
Daxter stuck his head out of the wagon and spoke at Lyra. "I rather like souvenirs and a big bit of metal attached to a handle by a chain sounds like a fun one. Who knows what you could do with it? Sell it if you will, but I need to concentrate now. Doing magic." His attention turned to rest of the group. "That's what we're doing, yeah? Resting here for a bit. Or were we planning on having the horses pull this thing somewhere else?"

Lady Moreta
2010-11-09, 03:46 AM
Lyra throws up her hands in exasperation.

"If that's what you want. Go ahead. Though you might want to check with Merv first - he killed the orc after all." She shrugs, "I prefer my - souveniors be smaller and easier to transport" she adds, grinning at Daxter's retreating back.

She leans against the wagon then, eyes wandering over the road. Finally, her gaze rests on the body of the halfling and she frowns.

"What are we going to do about - him? It doesn't seem right to just leave him there..." she asks almost hesitantly.

Devmaar
2010-11-09, 10:31 AM
OOC: The two amulets are not the same. The orc's was a simple carving of his god's symbol, the halfling's was more ornate, metal and covered in the strange writing Daxter found

Ket'Thull: The flail and the orc's amulet do not detect as evil. You can't think of any reason not to burn the herbs.

Grendus
2010-11-09, 11:37 AM
"We're burning the herbs anyways. The halfling was a worshiper of an evil god and would have been a murderer had he not picked a fight with a more powerful group. *cough* I see no reason not to burn his corpse. It's neither dishonorable nor will it take us any extra time."

Belthasar
2010-11-09, 05:20 PM
"I'll do it, my friend. I'll also ask for Heironeous to look after his poor, misguided soul."

While Daxter examines the amulet, Ket'Thull gathers the unholy herbs and puts the halfling's corpse over them. With a short prayer, he draws his bastard sword and once again is covered in lightning. He uses electricity to burn the leaves.

As the corpse burns, Ket'Thull prays to Heironeous, for the eternal rest of the wicked halfling's life force.

Once he's finished, he dispels the electricity away from the sword edge and draws his weapon as he tells everyone: "Neither the flail, nor the orc's amulet, radiate evil, so yes, you can keep them if you wish."

After that, he sits next to the unconscious orc, just waiting for Daxter to finish his spell, or the orc to wake up, whichever comes first.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-09, 09:50 PM
Lyra takes back the orc's amulet and shoves it once again into her backpack. She sits on the ground, leaning back against the wagon and stares at the smouldering fire. Her expression is oddly somber, and she's fidgeting with the reigns of her horse. She sighs, leans her head back against the wagon and closes her eyes.

OOC:
Does anybody mind if she takes the amulet? Reasoning is partly that she found it, and partly she's thinking if they come up against any other members of this cult, she might be able to bluff her way in using the amulet.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-09, 10:12 PM
Daxter threw back his drought, the taste bringing a displeased look to his face, bits of feathers and pearl each having a terrible texture. The desired effect was produced, and with his hands around the amulet, Daxter entered a meditative state, the image of the amulet beginning to draw itself in his mind's eye.

I have no idea what it looks like when someone casts Identify, I'm guessing.

Devmaar
2010-11-10, 09:35 AM
About half an hour into Daxter's spellcasting, a figure on horseback comes along the road.

OOC:
This is theblackorc's character.

Belthasar
2010-11-10, 11:19 AM
"... We have company..."

The last friendly guys tried to kill the team, so Ket'Thull prepares for detect any sign of evil coming from the newcomer.

Detect Evil on the traveler as soon as he gets close within the range of my spell.

Grendus
2010-11-10, 12:09 PM
Merv, in response to the person on horseback, dry heaves over the side of the wagon. "My mom was right. I should have been a druid," he grumbles, curling back into a ball in the wagon.

theblackorc
2010-11-10, 02:08 PM
Nanashi was riding his horse 'shining sun' when he saw a group of people near a weagon and some bodies. his eyes narrowed, thinking they where badits of some kind, he counts their numbers, while pretending to be just passing though. he stopped suddenly and shouted "who are you? identify yourselves! or face the wrath of Nanashi of the order of the riseing sun, loyal servent to the god of war and honor" he stopped just outside a detect spell just so they didn't get the total jump on him.
(ooc: is this ok?)

Grendus
2010-11-10, 04:37 PM
OOC comments usually go in the OOC thread or spoiler tags, which look like this *text*. Also, capitalize the first letter of the first word of each sentence, just like they taught you in school. Makes it much more readable.

Also, both Nanashi and Ket'Thul would be wearing their holy symbols, so even though Merv has no ranks in Knowledge(Religion) I presume he would be familiar with Heironious' symbol.

Merv sits up, glaring sourly at the newcomer. "I'll give you until the count of five to get out of here. Otherwise I'll do you like I did the... oh crap," he says, noticing Nanashi's holy symbol. Struggling to his feet, he turns to Ket'Thul. "You should probably handle this, he's a member of your church." He leans against the cart, then adds "And see if he has any lesser restorations prepared."

Belthasar
2010-11-10, 05:21 PM
Knowledge (Religion) check to see if I can distinguish a holy symbol from the newcomer, or if I know anything of the order he's talking about. I guess I wouldn't need to roll if it's a Heironeous' symbol, but just in case, here we go:

[roll0]

He gets a little closer to the newcomer, and casts the spell (Detect Evil) to prevent more bloodshed.

"Wait," says Ket'Thull to Merv. "A patrolman? Is he taking us for bandits? Watch the prisoner, I'll speak to him."

The half-orc raises one hand in sign of parlor as he walks to the horseman. "Greetings, Nanashi. I am Ket'Thull, paladin of Heironeous. Would you care to explain me what's this all about?..."

He interrupted himself to await for the results of both, his Religion check and the Detect Evil spell.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-10, 10:28 PM
As the newcomer approaches Lyra snaps back to attention and rolls to her feet, bow in hand.

At Merv and Ket'Thull's words, she relaxes again, and leans back against the wagon, eyeing Merv sympathetically

"Do you want some water?"

Grendus
2010-11-11, 12:07 AM
"If I can keep it down," Merv says, climbing back up into the wagon and leaning up against the backrest. He accepts the waterskin gratefully. "Don't let me forget," he mentions in between small sips, "to replace most of my lost gear in the next town. I ended up abandoning most of my kit when the goblins ambushed me." He takes a few more swigs before the nausea sets in again, then settles for washing his mouth out before returning the still-mostly-full flask to Lyra. "Thanks."

theblackorc
2010-11-11, 12:40 PM
"i am here investigating and looking for a vampire named Derron he may be connected with some deaths that have happened within my order." Nanashi says, still not convinced that their not bandits, but lowers his guard a little.

Devmaar
2010-11-11, 01:53 PM
Ket'Thull: He's not evil and you recognise his holy symbol, you know, since it's the same as yours.

Nanashi: None of these people detect as evil, you notice one of them bears the holy symbol of Heironeous.

OOC: as has been said, could you please try and capitalise at the start of sentences, it makes posts much easier to read.

Belthasar
2010-11-11, 02:08 PM
"Indeed. You seem familiar, Nanashi," Ket'Thull says to the newcomer. "I recognize a fellow worshiper of Heironeous the Invincible, and your quest is a noble one."

He makes a polite hand gesture, inviting Nanashi to come.

"We're not bandits. In fact, we have one of them tied up right here, a worshipper of Erythnull. He poisoned Merv here. The guy over there is Daxter, he's concentrating to identify the dangerous properties of an evil amulet. Oh, and over here, she's Lyra, and right there it's my faithful mount, Sharg."

Once he introduce them all, Ket'Thull asks Nanashi: "We'll continue our journey tomorrow, after Merv's rest. If you're targetting Derron, it would be convenient to join forces and share information. So what do you think? What do you all think?"

DoctorHobo
2010-11-11, 03:40 PM
Daxter shouted from within the wagon, voice echoing oddly with arcane energies. "I don't care, welcome aboard! Do NOT interrupt my wizarding!"

Lady Moreta
2010-11-11, 10:23 PM
Lyra tucks her waterskin back in her pack. Her expression is torn between sympathy for Merv and suspicion towards the newcomer.

Eventually she shrugs

"Sure, doesn't bother me." She lays a finger over her lips and creeps away from the wagon with exaggerated caution. "We'd better leave Dax alone though."

Belthasar
2010-11-11, 10:26 PM
"Right," he says lowering his voice, and suddenly remembering Daxter needed to concentrate. "This way, Nanashi."

theblackorc
2010-11-16, 09:19 AM
Nanashi nods and fallows as they step away from the wizard. his hand still near his sword just incase. he looks around and takes account of his surroundings. he wispers to his fellow paladin you have quite an interesting group of friends.

Devmaar
2010-11-16, 01:46 PM
Unless anyone has anything to say, skipping to Daxter finishing the spell.

Daxter:Fluff this however you want but:
+2 CL on [evil] spells
+3 Deflection to AC
+2 Charisma

DoctorHobo
2010-11-16, 02:37 PM
Daxter quickly stumbled out of the wagon and held the amulet up high. "I've discovered the uses of this trinket! It allows whoever wears it to cast evil spells more potently. Above that, and perhaps more useful to us, it protects the wearer with a field of magical deflection, and it heightens one's force of character." He cleared his throat and lowered the amulet, looking back and forth between the party and the amulet. "Now, it seems like it might be most useful to a caster, and it seems a bit blasphemous for a paladin to wear..."

Belthasar
2010-11-16, 05:19 PM
"Indeed," says Ket'Thull. "That amulet is evil. But I don't know much about arcane items. Daxter, if you think you can handle that dangerous amulet without corrupting yourself, so be it. But be careful, my friend."

He then approaches Merv. "How are you feeling? We'll need to camp here for the night for you to recover a little more..."

Grendus
2010-11-16, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure how to actually hitch an animal to a cart, or for that matter if the gear was left behind. Since the PHB treats the harness and the cart as a single item, I'm going to assume that it's there.

Merv shakes his head at Daxter's description. "Probably the only time you'll ever hear this, Dax, but it's a shame you aren't a sorcerer," he says, sitting up in the cart. "If it wasn't evil, I'd suggest it go to Ket'Thul, he would likely have more use for the armor and force of personality than you. But if he doesn't want it, you can make good use of it. Just don't go evil on us."

"I should be fine traveling," he adds, standing up. He leans on the cart for support, but otherwise seems fine. "The poison must be out of my system. I'll need some healing - if you could prepare that spell again tomorrow it would be great, but we can get a few more miles in before sundown." It takes him a few moments of improvisation, but he manages to get Myrien hitched to the cart before climbing back up into the seat. "Let's burn the halfling's corpse and be off, before someone else comes by and mistakes us for brigands."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-16, 11:39 PM
Lyra shrugs her shoulders, twitching them in the direction of the halfling's corpse.

"Ket'Thull already took care of it," she says. She gathers up the reigns of her horse and climbs back into the saddle. Eying Nanashi suspicously, she asks him

"So, holy symbol? You're another one like him?" she jerks her head, indicating Ket'Thull. She doesn't look particularly happy.

theblackorc
2010-11-17, 02:43 PM
Nanashi said rather commanding That thing should be destroyed. I will not tolerate it being even near me. i will not let evil have a presence here." Nanashi then saddled up on his horse and turned to lyra "The names Nanashi, remember it when you speak to me."

DoctorHobo
2010-11-17, 03:11 PM
Daxter raised an eyebrow as he fastened the amulet around his neck, surprised by the attitude the newcomer had taken. "One, this amulet is not evil. It was created by evil, evil has left its mark on it, but it is a tool. Like all magic, it is a tool and what determines if it is evil or not is what is done with it, and you're all in luck on that one, because I'm a kind little fellow." He returned to his own horse, the pulled himself up onto the saddle. As he sat, me made sure to sit up straight to give himself more of a presence.

"Two, if you're going to be traveling about with us, you might want to be a little more sociable."

theblackorc
2010-11-17, 05:37 PM
Nanashi grumbled he didn't like this sorcerer but he would endure it for now. He stayed silent as he had to admit the wizard had a point, but still he didn't like being near any evil object, if only to prevent himself from being tainted. He sighed as he rode with the group. This was going to be a long journey on his patience.

Grendus
2010-11-17, 06:04 PM
Merv clicked his tongue, giving Myrien the command to begin pulling the cart. "Maybe the next halfling will have an artifact that can get the stick out of Nanashi's ass," he whispered to Daxter as he passed by, making sure to keep a wide berth between him and the new paladin.

Belthasar
2010-11-17, 06:06 PM
Ket'Thull rides Sharg as he speaks.

"You are protected by Heironeous' grace, Nanashi" says Ket'Thull, "so the amulet is not harmful to you. As for Daxter, he has a strong wilpower and determination enough, so he won't let that tiny object to control him."

The half-orc feels that the journey is slower, since the party is also taking a wagon with them. On the other hand, the arrival of another paladin of Heironeous seemed appropiate. He just hoped that Nanashi and Lyra could get along, even if Lyra dislikes the paladins (not all of them though) or Nanashi makes assumptions about Lyra's profession. Ket'Thull knows by experience that a harsh life usually let people to commit acts that other people qualify as 'evil' in order to survive.

He left his thoughts aside for a while. There were other important things to care about.

"So Nanashi, what do you know about Derron?" says Ket'Thull raising an eyebrow. "Did you plan to attack him all alone?"

Devmaar
2010-11-17, 06:24 PM
Nanashi: You know everything about Derron that's been said in this thread plus that he uses the power of his mind to bolster his combat effectiveness.

theblackorc
2010-11-17, 07:09 PM
I was planning on it though he is a tough one. i was thinking of waiting for the right moment to strike at him, but i want him alive. he knows the people who killed my master i want names and where i can find them before i we end his cursed existence. nanashi said though he was dwelling on what he knew on Derron and weather he could trust these people but he then said i know he use his mind to make himself more combat effective. which is why i planned to catch him off guard. so he didn't get a chance to use it. Nanashi then looked at lyra. and said sorry about earlier i was rude. im a little tense about my master's death.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-17, 09:51 PM
Daxter grinned at Merv's comment discreetly and rode along with the party and their new wagon. He listened as the new paladin detailed his need to keep the vampire alive, or rather not any more dead than he already was.

"Revenge?" he asked casually over his shoulder, one hand on the reins of his horse and the other fiddling with his new amulet. "Do paladins do revenge?" He glanced over to Ket'Thull for the answer to his question.

Belthasar
2010-11-17, 10:07 PM
Ket'Thull smiled at the wizard as he replied. "Some of us do, my friend. But those are called in different ways. Some paladins are zealots; fighters who do justice in their god's name. Others are avengers, who seek to use their blades to restore honor to their family."

He thinks about his words for a while before continuing. "Of course, a paladin can never have any excess in that matter. Excesively violent paladins often find their doom in the hands of evil. I've heard fateful stories about powerful servants of good that turn evil because of hatred... Antipaladins are born that way..."

He turns to all: "Never let hatred consume you, my friends! Even if it's retribution what you seek, you should always stay calm, trying to keep your emotions under control..."

He then looks at the sky. "I had the chance to seek revenge against the people who murdered my first family. I didn't take it, for a greater cause: The fate of good in this world. Sure, we paladins are well trained in combat, and our god grants us divine powers... We must not use that power for selfish motives, but to help others, since humility is the base of wisdom..."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-18, 03:45 AM
Lyra glares at Nanashi over her shoulder at his first words. After his apology she shrugs and turns forward again. She is obviously unhappy about the presence of another paladin, but appears to be biting back any retort. Until Ket’Thull starts talking about paladins and revenge that is.

“Justice?! That’s really what you think a zealot is interested in? Justice?” She spits the words out, blue eyes growing dark. “Ket’Thull, you’re a naïve idiot if you really think that’s what drives a zealot.”

Despite the venom in her words and tone, she remains perfectly balanced - almost sedate. Her hands gripping the reins however, are white-knuckled in their tension.

She turns away again, staring out at the road ahead. Abruptly changing tack, she changes the subject

“We’ve already been ambushed once. We need a scout.” A glance at Merv. “Merv’s clearly in no condition to, so I’ll do it. If you hear me scream, come running.” This last comment is directed entirely at Daxter and Merv. It’s fairly obvious she doesn’t think either of the paladins would go after her.

She slams her heels into the horses flanks, urging it out ahead of the others.

OOC
I swear I’m not trying to split the party! Honest! I’m just roleplaying my character, and she is being a pain the neck (seriously, that little-bitty post took me almost 45mins to write).

Belthasar
2010-11-18, 09:51 AM
Ket'Thull raised his eyebrows upon hearing Lyra's commentary, but then he smiled an laughed. He was not angered or surprised, but amused. "Heh, young Lyra's tongue is sharper than steel! Moreso, honesty is a great virtue if you ask me. And yes, I could be an optimist idiot, but there are many things in this world we've never seen..."

He pauses for a moment, and his face turns serious this time. "Yes, points of views are intriguing: Zealots see themselves as the representation of justice itself. For most people, they are just blind murderers who use their god's sake as an excuse to fight. Zealots should do justice, and I know that it's not the way this world works. But it should. I have faith, my dear, and that's what moves me to do what must be done."

Then, as Lyra offers her help in the duties of forward scout, Ket'Thull replies: "That would do fine, my dear. Just be careful."

Grendus
2010-11-18, 11:36 AM
"I'm guessing her opinion is more than just opinion," Merv says, leaning back in his seat. "I wouldn't press her about it, unless you want an arrow between the ribs. As for me, zealots always bring to mind my former animal companion. He was a badger, very powerful, very loyal, not very bright. Tended to fly into a rage when he got into combat. Normally this wasn't a problem, but there was one time he clawed a wild boar while going after some goblins. The boar had no interest in our fight, but once he had been clawed he flew into a rage of his own."

Merv shakes his head sadly, remembering his late friend. "Not only did we almost get killed - I had to grapple him and drag him up a tree to get away - but the goblins he was so intent on killing got away. That's all a zealot achieves, he hurts innocents and lets the his target get away."

DoctorHobo
2010-11-18, 01:47 PM
Daxter listened to the group's debate over paladins and their motivations, but hadn't actually met one before Ket'Thull, and so had no experience to draw from, but it all seemed a harsh judgment.

"Well, I figure paladins are just as varied in their duties as anyone else. I've certainly met a few wizards I didn't agree with. Passion and dedication sound like pretty admiral traits to me."

When Lyra rode ahead, Daxter turned his head and addressed Ket'Thull directly. "Have you always got to call her that? Are you capable of finishing a sentence directed at her without calling her 'my dear' or 'my lady'? Just sounds a bit condescending." He glanced up ahead and spurred his horse on faster. "I'll just be up there with her."

Daxter slowed his horse to fall in line beside Lyra and raised his hand to give the woman a small wave. "Anything you wanna talk about? Bothersome paladins? Charming wizards?"

Lady Moreta
2010-11-18, 10:28 PM
Lyra turns sharply in her saddle and glares at Daxter

“Don’t you dare!” She hisses furiously. She notices his face then and sighs. “Oh. Joking. Right – sorry.” She lets go of the reins to reach up and scrub her hands over her face. She picks up the reins again and stares ahead long enough to make you wonder if she’ll actually speak again.

“Did he actually laugh at me or was I imaging things?” she asks finally, sounding dumbfounded. “Is it possible he really is that naïve? Is it wilful ignorance, or just plain idiocy?”

She turns her head to look fully at Daxter

“Do you know why I’m here?” she barrels on without waiting for an answer. “Because he caught me trying to steal from him. He caught me and then he decided to turn me into some sort of project. Every time I ran, he followed me and brought me back. Like some sort of damn pet.”

She twists in the saddle to look fully over her shoulder at the others. Taking a deep breath, she lets it out in a half-angry, half-frustrated exhalation.

“And to think I was actually starting to like him. But no, they’re all the same…”

Dax:
Roll a spot check :P
Sleight of Hand: roll]1d20+10[/roll]

Belthasar
2010-11-18, 11:37 PM
Ket'Thull was sunk in his thoughts.

"A vampire that uses powers of the mind? That's problematic... How could we capture a vampire without killing him (again)? And more importantly, how could I protect everyone at the same time? ...Wait a minute... Sociopathic zealots... Badgers... Justice... Hmmm... I think I have a plan... Thank you almighty Heironeous! Now I know what must be done... But first things first..."

DoctorHobo
2010-11-18, 11:42 PM
Daxter looked a little startled at what he'd heard. "He what? I wasn't aware it was within a Paladin's code to kidnap someone..." he quickly glanced over his shoulder at Ket'Thull before returning his attention to Lyra.

"Look, this business with the vampire, it's pretty important. We could use your help, but afterward, when everything's settled, if you want to get away from him, I'll help. I can turn you invisible, hell I can make you fly for a bit. Then we can see how easily he can chase you through a fireball and a cascade of magic missiles."

He huffed and narrowed his eyes, turning his head once more to look towards Ket'Thull. "Kidnapping, I do not like."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-19, 12:26 AM
Lyra looks startled at Daxter's vehemence. She hastily leans over and touches his hand

"No. It- it wasn't like that. Not really. He - I. Oh hell." She drops her head, looking suddenly tired. Taking another deep breath she lifts her head and tries again.

"Going with Ket'Thull was better than the alternative. And he fed me," she shrugs. "Don't cause a fuss Daxter, please? It's not worth it, and quite frankly, I think we'll need him - and whatisface before this is over. I just don't understand how he could be so narrow-minded. It's like predjudice and wilful blindness are trained into them."

OOC:
I so almost wrote that as 'it's like predjudice and wilful blindness are class features' Oi... :smallredface::smallsigh:

DoctorHobo
2010-11-19, 12:36 AM
Daxter glanced down at the hand and felt a bit of confusion. "Well no, I'd obviously not make a fuss right until we were done with this whole mission. I do have a little subtlety about me. Do you have no desire to escape him? Because you were crying about it a few seconds ago."

He sighed and looked ahead. "I'm just offering assistance, and it's an offer that's going to stand as long as he's dragging you about."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-19, 02:21 AM
Lyra gapes at Daxter, opening and closing her mouth in a ridiculous manner.

“You were just talking about fireballs and magic missiles! That’s not subtle!” she blurts out, clearly stunned at his perception. She pulls her hand back, staring into the forest at the side of the road.

“It’s not that. Well, it’s not so much him as it is- it’s. I mean it’s… I don’t-” She abruptly breaks off with a string of profanities in halfling. She sighs and her shoulders slump briefly before she straightens in the saddle.

“It doesn’t matter,” she says finally. “I appreciate the offer, I really do.” She smiles up at Daxter, “maybe someday I’ll take you up on it.”
OOC:
Feel free to roll sense motive if you don't believe her :smallsmile:

theblackorc
2010-11-19, 02:04 PM
Nanashi was in deep thought and with Dexter and Lyra out of ear shot he thought to himself a little and then suddenly rode ahead to Lyra, as he approached her, he said completely ignoring the wizard Lyra... i think we need to talk. you seem to have something against paladins. now i'm not one to judge anyone in fact i'm probably the last one to judge, but its really hard to be a paladin especially when you expected to be one. Nanashi just looked at Lyra, he was feeling kinda sorry for her but more so at his actions.

Belthasar
2010-11-19, 02:36 PM
Ket'Thull sighed in resignation. Sharg seemed to guess what was passing through his mind and heart. "I know, my faithful Sharg. Soon."

Ahead of him, Daxter and Lyra seemed to be discussing something about paladins, and even Daxter seemed to glare at him for an instant. "Maybe I'm just being paranoid...?"

Lyra's mood changed since he started speaking about zealots. How much did Ket'Thull know about Lyra's past? Maybe she was an orphan whose parents died at the swords of angry zealots... "Darn... Never thought of that..."

He seemed somewhat uneasy with his thoughts. Maybe later he and she would have time to talk about sorrowful memories. Ket'Thull had an outstanding wilpower to bear the sorrow of losing his family at the hands of crusaders. Yet, he even was raised by the assassins of his former family. So, how could forgiveness not exist? Ket'Thull was proud of himself, serving the cause of good. But... Lyra looked so emotionally fragile... She was a survivor. And Ket'Thull would protect her, as he promised.

As Nanashi rode ahead to apologize to Lyra (about something, not even Ket'Thull was clear), the half-orc paladin thought his colleague was doing fine within his capabilities. While his newfound paladin partner seemed to be eager to end any trouble as fast as possible, Ket'Thull decided to wait, and remain silent for some time.

Suddenly, Derron's image came to his mind. "Oh right, that other problem."

Note: Italicized characters means Ket'Thull's thoughts, so unless you can eavesdrop his mind, don't reply to them. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, there's no way I can Lay on Hands on Lyra's soul... :smallfrown:

I'll make a Knowledge (religion) ckeck to see if I know deeper information on vampires: [roll0]

Oh, and I guess we're riding forth until it's time to rest.

Devmaar
2010-11-19, 02:45 PM
Ket'Thull: You know that Vampires are vulnerable to sunlight, running water and holy symbols. You believe that they are weakened by garlic.

It's getting late. As Nanashi rides forward to Daxter and Lyra, it is difficult for Merv and Ket'Thull to see him clearly. In the distance, the setting sun silhouettes the mountains to which you are headed. You will reach them tomorrow.

Belthasar
2010-11-19, 03:20 PM
Ket'Thull turns to Merv: "Looks like we're both fulfilling the role of rear scouts now..."

In fact, Lyra, Daxter and Nanashi, the three of them, were riding ahead, a few yards from there. "We should catch up with them, shall we?" he adds with a smile.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-19, 03:53 PM
Daxter, also fluent in Halfling and full well capable of understanding Lyra's curses, begun speaking in that language, hopefully keeping the interrupting paladin out of the loop.

[Halfling]"Speaking of a lack of subtlety... what's this joker up to? Hi! I'm not even here. Keep ignoring me." He rolled his eyes and looked back as the rest of group looked to be catching them up.
[Halfling]"Lyra, forgive me, had I known the rest of the group would follow suite, I would have left you to your own devices."

Grendus
2010-11-19, 06:42 PM
Listen check [roll0]

Merv shakes his head, noticing that Daxter and Lyra have started talking in another language. "Let them be alone. Nanashi's heart is in the right place, but you would do best to wait until she has calmed down."

"Besides," he continues, watching the group ahead. "If memory serves half-orcs can see well in the dark, as do elves, and this way we can keep the group going a little longer before the humans complain that their less sensitive eyes can't see the road anymore. I would like to arrive earlier tomorrow, maybe get a good lay of the land before we head towards the vampire." He pauses, then in a quieter tone adds"You should consider apologizing to Lyra, though, when we make camp. You don't need to apologize for anything specific, just say that you're sorry you offended her. I worry she may run, and I will not drag her back in chains if she does."

Lady Moreta
2010-11-19, 07:35 PM
Lyra shot a wry grin at Daxter as he switched to halfling,

[halfling]"Don't worry about it, it's not your fault. I should have known better than to say anything."

She turns back to look at Nanashi

"Was that meant to be an apology?" She sounds geniunely curious.

OOC:
Sorry about the vague response blackorc, I was geniunely not sure what you were saying in your post so thought I'd go for clarification in and out of character.

Belthasar
2010-11-19, 08:30 PM
Ket'Thull replies to Merv, he looks curious: "Right! I forgot that humans can't see in the darkness! Heh... I was raised in a human environment, so I guess it's the first time in a long time that I don't feel like one. And, my wise friend, I'm also afraid that Lyra could run away, since these wilderness looks dangerous. That's one reason of why she won't! But I'll take your advice anyways, and offer an apology to her when the time is right."

He looks around, and lowers his vocie a little: "I hope not be so rude with this question, my friend, but... Do elves also see in black and white during night time?"

Grendus
2010-11-19, 09:56 PM
Merv chuckles. "All creatures see in black and white at night, or so I'm told. Elves just see better than most, so long as there's light somewhere I can see almost as well as though we had a lantern - barring color, of course."