PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-08, 09:10 PM
A 309
No. The text of the feat only covers drawing a weapon.

A 310
It's probably not a good idea to have a setup where different saves have the same key ability. Though Steadfast Determination from PHB2 does just this, allowing you to use Constitution on Will saves. And it removes auto-fail on Fort saves, too, making it much, much more powerful. So take what you will from that.

Kyjibo
2006-12-09, 03:19 AM
Q 311
How many Hit Die/Hit Points do
Buildings have?
Ships have?
Wagons have?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-09, 08:17 AM
A 311
To find out how many Hit Points a large complex object is, you have to break it up into sections and add that all up. For example, a 10' x 10' x10' shed could be made up of four wooden walls (say 2 inches thick), a wooden roof (same as the walls), and a simple wooden door. The walls would all have hardness 5 and 20 hp. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/carryingAndExploration.html#table-substance-hardness-and-hit-points) The door has hardness 5 and 10 hp.

When figuring out damage to such an object, typically only one of those sections is damaged at a time. For instance, smashing one of the shed's walls with a hammer just damages that particular wall. Should the rare even happen where the entire building is damaged at once, you apply the damage to each section separately.

For instance, if a fireball engulfs the entire shed, dealing 35 damage, each section of the shed takes 12 damage (you halve fire damage before applying hardness when using a fire attack against an object.)

Vehicles work much the same way. Simply divide the vehicle up into 10'x10'x10' sections, decide what material makes up the majority of each section, and apply hardness and hp as per the tables for substance in the PHB. You can find more info on how this applies to vehicles in Arms and Equipment Guide.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-09, 10:15 PM
A. 311 continued

Stormwrack has rules for ships.

amanodel
2006-12-10, 11:36 AM
Q 312: A pretty lame question: If, let's say, a dire wolf trips someone after it's bite attack, then the target becomes prone. While standing up, his enemies near them get an AoO on him, including the wolf. Now if the wolf hits again, is it entitled to another free trip attack too, thus making it virtually impossible for the creature to stand up?

Rigeld2
2006-12-10, 11:43 AM
A 312 Read the FAQ. The answer is no - you cant trip someone who is already prone (well, you can, but it doesnt do anything) so he stands up fine.

Maclav
2006-12-10, 02:45 PM
A 312 expanded
AAO's happen before the action which triggers them. So, the victim is still prone when the AOO happens.

Argent Bend
2006-12-10, 04:29 PM
Q 313
What are the limits on the Suggestion spell as far as "The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell" goes? Can the spell force a PC to attack another PC (potentially provoking a violent or "harmful" response)? Force someone to attack a well-guarded nobleman? Steal from the angry party Barbarian or aforementioned nobleman? Force someone to stand still (not obviously harmful) thereby allowing his opponents to slit his throat? What's "reasonable"? Dominate and Charm spells are fairly well explained. Is there anything on Suggestion?

Matthew
2006-12-10, 06:19 PM
Q 314
Okay, I have a relatively basic one, but I'm not sure of the answer.

If Combatant A, who currently acts on Initiative Count 10, chooses to delay his action whilst facing Combatants B and C, who currently act on Initiative Counts 3 and 2 respectively, can Combatant A act after Combatant B, but before Combatant C and if so, what Initiative Count would he subsequently act on?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-10, 06:47 PM
A. 314

Possibly, but it depends on A, B and C's total initiative modifier.
If A delays to Initiative Count 3, A acts before B if A's total initiative modifier is higher than B's, after if it is lower and they roll if they have equal total initiative modifier.
Likewise if A delays until Initiative Count 2.

So by the RAW, A cannot be sure to delay to act between B and C, it depends on total initiative modifier.

If A knows that A's modifier is either lower than B's or higher than C's, A could be sure to in-between them.

By choosing to delay, you take no action and then act normally on whatever initiative count you decide to act. When you delay, you voluntarily reduce your own initiative result for the rest of the combat. When your new, lower initiative count comes up later in the same round, you can act normally. You can specify this new initiative result or just wait until some time later in the round and act then, thus fixing your new initiative count at that point.
You never get back the time you spend waiting to see what’s going to happen. You can’t, however, interrupt anyone else’s action (as you can with a readied action).

Initiative Consequences of Delaying: Your initiative result becomes the count on which you took the delayed action. If you come to your next action and have not yet performed an action, you don’t get to take a delayed action (though you can delay again). If you take a delayed action in the next round, before your regular turn comes up, your initiative count rises to that new point in the order of battle, and you do not get your regular action that round.

... If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-10, 06:51 PM
Q 313
What are the limits on the Suggestion spell as far as "The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell" goes? Can the spell force a PC to attack another PC (potentially provoking a violent or "harmful" response)? Force someone to attack a well-guarded nobleman? Steal from the angry party Barbarian or aforementioned nobleman? Force someone to stand still (not obviously harmful) thereby allowing his opponents to slit his throat? What's "reasonable"? Dominate and Charm spells are fairly well explained. Is there anything on Suggestion?

A. 313

It is subject to interpretation, but the RotG article I referenced above gives a few good suggestions :smallwink:

Rules of the Game: Enchantments, Part II
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20051011a

Ikkitosen
2006-12-11, 10:09 AM
Q. 314

Does a nonmagical arrow fired by a +1 bow bypass DR X/Magic? I think I know the answer, but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Matthew
2006-12-11, 10:14 AM
A 315

Not in my games, but sadly yes by the RAW:

Ranged Weapons and Ammunition

The enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus) from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.
Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#projectileWeapons) with an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus) of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction). Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#alignment) gains the alignment of that projectile weapon (in addition to any alignment it may already have).

Belkarseviltwin
2006-12-12, 04:10 PM
Re A. 315:
Q. 316
What happens if you fire a Holy arrow from an Unholy Bow (or vice versa)?

Khantalas
2006-12-12, 04:14 PM
A. 316. You most likely incur negative levels, and the arrow strikes as if it had both holy and unholy special properties.

There's also nothing preventing you from making a +2 holy unholy longbow.

amanodel
2006-12-12, 05:43 PM
Q 317: What happens if someone casts the spell "web (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm)" upon a creature who has "fire shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireShield.htm)" casted upon him?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-12, 06:58 PM
A. 317

That creature becomes Entangled. In other words; The spell functions as normal.

The flames you are shrouded in, when using the warm version of Fire Shield, only deals damage if you are attacked in melee, otherwise the flames are simply warm to the touch.

Warm Shield: The flames are warm to the touch.

amanodel
2006-12-12, 07:19 PM
( Q 317 b: web catches on fire easily by the RAW... It doesn't say how easily. As a DM I might think that a web which entangles the player kinda attacks him. But that's not RAW... I guess the warm to the touch part was included to make them healable, but that's not RAW, again.
So, what if one hits himself in meelee, and thus deals and receives fire damage? )

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-13, 03:28 AM
A. 317 b.

We are rapidly moving into the land of DM adjudication, but assuming that you are allowed to attack yourself (and that the people in white coats do not get to you first) I would rule that the fire would set the web ablaze.

However, I would not allow someone to attack themselves.

Burk
2006-12-13, 05:07 AM
Q318
How many eye rays can a Beholder use in a single round? In its full attack it just says "Eye rays" not giving a number. Also, it's attack description, it states, "Eye rays...and bite." This seems to imply that it can use both in a standard action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-13, 05:55 AM
A. 318

We can use ALL 10 of our Eye Rays as a free action each round, that is why we can bite and use our Eye Rays even if we only have a standard action left in the round.

Sadly we are restricted in just how many we aim in a given direction.
(Page 25 of the MM explains this in more detail.)

Falrin
2006-12-13, 03:50 PM
Q 319

When you increase HD, do you get a stat bonus every 4? ex. Can a 4HD wolf get +1 on Str. It would make sense, but I can't find it anywhere so I'm probably making it all up.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-13, 04:27 PM
A. 319

No, you are not making it up, that is exactly how it works.

Feat Acquisition and Ability Score Increases: A monster’s total Hit Dice, not its ECL, govern its acquisition of feats and ability score increases.

ski309
2006-12-14, 11:22 AM
Q. 320

Do the initiatives rolled for a surprise round count as the initiatives for the rest of combat, or do the combatants who acted in the surprise round roll for a new initiative?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-14, 11:25 AM
A. 320

No, they keep the result from the surprise round.

swordmaster2000
2006-12-14, 09:32 PM
Q321
at the risk of sounding like noob, what is grewhawk I want to know what it actually... is

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-14, 10:06 PM
A 321

Greyhawk is one of the original campaign setting created for D&D. For the most part it was created by Gary Gygax at the same time he was developing the actual rules for D&D. This setting is the original home of the deities now represented in core D&D material (Collerean, Heironeous, Hextor, Vecna, etc.) Many names associated with particular spells, such as Melf (Melf's acid arrow), Bigby (Bigby's crushing hand), Otto (Otto's irresistible dance), and Mordenkainen (Mordenkainen's disjunction) were character's played by Gygax's friends, who all had a part in shaping Greyhawk's history.

Wikipedia actually has good information on published campaign settings. Here's the Greyhawk article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhawk.

weenie
2006-12-15, 10:07 AM
Q 322

I was looking at the telekinesis spell and I realized that the violent trust variant of the spell is a bit overpowered. I'm not completley sure I got this completley right, so please correct me. You could have a pile of arrows placed near you and use this spell to throw them all at a foe, doing 1d4 dmg for every arrow. And if my calculations are correct that would make 2500d4 dmg. Oh yeah, and no spell resistance applies against this attack as well.

Douglas
2006-12-15, 10:16 AM
A 322
In 3.0, that is correct. In 3.5, a cap of one object per caster level (max 15) was added in addition to the weight limit, reducing the maximum damage of this trick to 15d4. Greater Magic Weapon could boost that quite a bit, but the spell still suffers from having to make an attack roll vs non-touch AC for each arrow with a wiz/sor's poor BAB, and if the target happens to have damage reduction it applies separately to each arrow, quite likely negating the entire attack.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-16, 01:17 AM
Q 323
Ok, how does furry of blows, two-weapon fighting, and high BAB's work? Meaning do I get the furry of blows for each extra attack, or would I get only one extra attack. For instance, if I were a monk 1 and fighter 11, then I would have a BAB of +11/+6/+1. So would I get 3 exra attacks that round with flurry of blows because I have 3 attacks, or would I only get one extra. And when two-weapon fighting, can you use a weapon and an unarmed strike?

Winged One
2006-12-16, 01:26 AM
A 323
A first level monk with enough fighter levels to get multiple attacks gets only 1 additional attack if he flurries(and at a -2 penalty to all of them at that). An unarmed strike is a valid off-hand weapon for two-weapon fighting. Note also that unless you have Improved/Greater TWF, you only get 1 off-hand attack, and that Flurry doesn't apply without Perfect TWF, an epic feat.

Matthew
2006-12-16, 06:10 AM
A 323 continued...

Your Monk 1 / Fighter 11 ordinarily has:

Primary Attack 11 / 6 / 1

He can use Flurry of Blows to get:

Primary Attack: 9 / 9 / 4 / -2

If he chooses to use Two Weapon Fighting he takes all the usual penalties, which are only offset by the relevant Feat. Given that his Off Hand Weapon is Light:

Two Weapon Fighting

Primary Attack 9 / 4 / -1
Off Hand Attack 9

Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Off Hand Attack 9 / 4

Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Off Hand Attack 9 / 4 / -1

If you then want to combine this with a flurry of Blows, the result would be:

Flurry of Blows and Two Weapon Fighting

Primary Attack 7 / 7 / 2 / -3
Off Hand Attack 7

Flurry of Blows and Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Off Hand Attack 7 / 2

Flurry of Blows and Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Off Hand Attack 7 / 2 / -3

As you can see, the penalties for Two Weapon Fighting and Flurry of Blows are culmative and apply to every attack made during your Full Round Attack. However, each Feat and Special Ability only adds one additional attack at this level.
Any and all of these attacks can be made as Unarmed Strikes. The only stipulation is that the Primary Attack must therwise be made with a Special Monk Weapon and that the Off Hand Attack may not be made with your Primary Weapon.

Thomix
2006-12-16, 10:24 AM
Q 324

In the OOTS comic, they talk of a prestige class named "The Dashing Sowrdsman". Does this class actually exist?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-16, 10:28 AM
A. 324

I doubt it.

Originally Posted by The Giant http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1699520#post1699520)
It is an invention of mine, though I won't rule out that there might be some similar class in a third-party sourcebook somewhere, since I have hardly read all such books that have come out since the advent of Third Edition. Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan, so I invented one more appropriate.

Alakallanar
2006-12-16, 08:57 PM
Q.325

Some PrC have Thoughness as an prerequesite. Is it possible to use Dwarf`s/Giant`s/Dragon`s Thoughness instead?

Q.326

If I Shapechange/Polymorph/Wildshape while under the effect of a Bull`s Strength spell is the effect of Bull`s Strentgh carried on to the new form?

So if I have a strength of 10, cast Bull`s Strength for +4 and then turn into a black bear ( Str. 19 ) do I have a strength of 19 or 23?

Q.327

Can I use spells or magical items that increase my ability scores in order to meet the prerequesites for a certain Feat during level advancement? If this is possible: How long does going up a level take? Does someone know in advance that he will level up soon?

Q.328

The Shifter PrC can Wild Shape into animal shape from 2nd level onwards. As Legendary Animals are of the animal type ( in contrast to dire animals which are an extra monster type ) does this mean a Shifter can shape into Legendary Animals ? I think you don`t really want a 8th level character to turn into a Legendary Bear...

Maclav
2006-12-16, 09:53 PM
A.325
No.

A.327a

Yes, but you can only use the feat while you meat the prereq. So when
your spell wears off, you loose access to the feat.

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite.

Douglas
2006-12-16, 10:08 PM
A 325
By RAW no, but I imagine most DM's would allow it as a house rule. Also, I'm fairly sure the variants of Toughness you mentioned are from a 3.0 source. In 3.5, Improved Toughness gives +1 hp per level. I think it's in Complete Warrior.

A 326
Polymorph and similar effects change the base ability score and do not affect bonuses in any way, nor do they dispel magical effects on the target. A person polymorphed into a black bear and buffed with Bull's Strength would have a base strength score of 19 with a +4 enhancement bonus, for a total of 23. The order of casting of the Polymorph and Bull's Strength spells does not matter.

A 328
Yes, a Shifter could Wildshape into a Legendary Animal form, provided that no other restrictions are violated. I do not have access to the text of the Shifter class at the moment, but I imagine it includes a limit on the hit dice of the form you wild shape into, just as a Druid cannot take any form with more hit dice than his Druid level. There might also be size restrictions that could rule out most Legendary animals until considerably higher levels.

ski309
2006-12-18, 10:19 AM
Q.329

Is it possible to enchant a monk's body, the way an item is enchanted, so that the monk's unarmed strikes count as +[#] weapons?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-18, 10:26 AM
A. 329

No, not as a Monk. (But a Kensai (Complete Warrior) could)

However, you could do it with a Permanent Magic Fang or Greater Magic Fang.

Amiria
2006-12-18, 01:32 PM
Q330: Mage's Disjunction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm)

Ok, I was hit by one. I was able to avoid/counterspell the first two but the third was too much. Advice: Don't mess around with someone who can cast three of them in one round ... like me. (Well, I could actually cast six if you count the Twinned Spell feat) :smallamused:

Well, on then:

a) Items in extradimensional spaces created by other items (like stuff in a Handy Haversack). Do they also have to make saving throws ? They have total cover from the burst and are, well, in another dimension.

b) In the spell's descriptive text they talk of "permanent magic items". Those definitely exist and so there should also be "temporary magic items". What would that be ? One-shot items like scrolls and potions ? Or something like a sword with the Greater Magic Weapon spell upon it (but the spell would be disjoined anyway so that it wouldn't make sense) ?

Rigeld2
2006-12-18, 02:01 PM
A 330

1) Items in a bag have to make the save. Items in another dimension don't.

2) I would say its Wizards overspeak -- from what I can see everything has to roll.

Amiria
2006-12-18, 02:28 PM
Q330 (Reprise)

So, do the extradimensional spaces created by items like Efficient Quivers, Handy Haversacks, Infinite Scrollcases, Bags of Holding, Portable Holes, etc. then count as another dimension so that items in them are unaffected by the Mage's Disjunction (unless of course the item that creates the extradimensional space itself is disjoined) ?

Rigeld2
2006-12-18, 02:38 PM
A 330 (reprise) Yes. tho, if the item is disjoined, the items inside are lost and gone forever, Oh my darlin Clementine.

merm
2006-12-18, 03:33 PM
Q 331
Paladins, normally immune to fear effects, lose this ability if they are unconscious. Thus, could a successful Sleep spell followed by a successful Phantasmal Killer spell make a paladin die of fear?

Rigeld2
2006-12-18, 03:39 PM
A 331 Yes.

Winged One
2006-12-18, 03:39 PM
A 331
It seems so, but you'd just be wasting the Phantasmal Killer spell where a coup de grace attack would work just as well

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-18, 03:43 PM
A. 331

I think the part of the ability that disappears when the Paladin is unconscious or dead refer to the aura effect rather than the personal immunity part. The inclusion of dead makes more sense when interpreted like that.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious (file:///D:/Roleplaying/3rd%20Edition/SRD%203.5/abilitiesAndConditions.html#unconscious) or dead (file:///D:/Roleplaying/3rd%20Edition/SRD%203.5/abilitiesAndConditions.html#dead).

Of course a strict reading could follow your interpretation.

Thomix
2006-12-18, 10:31 PM
Q. 332

Does a elf is automatically proficient with elven lightblade, elven thinblade and elven courtblade?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-19, 12:59 AM
A. 332

No, Complete Warrior (page 155) suggest that they have to take Improved Weapon Familiarity (page 101) to treat these Exotic Weapons as Martial Weapons.

Winged One
2006-12-19, 10:25 PM
Q 333
Does the Aptitude special quality on page 148 of Tome of Battle allow the use of Weapon Finesse on a normally non-finesse weapon?
Q 334
Does the Martial Discipline quality provide an actual enhancement bonus, or just a bonus to your attack roll?

AmberVael
2006-12-20, 03:12 AM
Q 335
Assume that you are Invisible (via Invisibilty or Greater Invisibility).
Also assume that you are affected by the Mind Blank spell.
If someone has Trueseeing, and you are in their range, would they see you, or would Mind Blank shield you from it?

EDIT: Q 336
If you are affected by the Glitterdust spell, but become incorporeal or otherwise loose your body (specifically by use of the Shadow Body psionic power), does Glitterdust still affect you?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-20, 04:47 AM
A. 335

I believe that you would remain unseen, but it depends on the interpretation of the term "information gathering".

Mind Blank protects against "information gathering" by divination spells and True Seeing is a divination spell.

This spell protects against ... information gathering by divination spells or effects.

A. 336

Glitterdust makes no exceptions for incorporeal creatures, so it will continue to effect you as long as you remain in the area.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-20, 05:18 AM
A. 333

No, only feats keyed to a particular "type of weapon" can be used. "Weapon type" does not refer to the effort it takes to use the weapon, but rather to the specific weapon.
This interpretation is based on the context of the feat.

A. 334

It provides a bonus to your attack roll.

Charity
2006-12-20, 12:32 PM
Q 337. Sorry to be such an unremmiting div, if one was to make a trip attack with a weapon, can that be any weapon or just those that specify special trip rules, and also does the trip attack deal damage?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-20, 12:37 PM
A 337.
Trips can only be done unarmd or with weapons that specifically allow them. Note that unlike the parallel "disarming feature" of other weapons, being useful in a trip is limited to simply being allowable rather than granting an actual bonus on the attempt.

(On a side note, I think most people feel that certain weapons should allow trips but don't have that specified in their description. So feel free to house rule what you want regarding specific weapons.)

Using a weapon to perform a trip maneuver causes no damage in itself. It simply knocks your opponent over.

Matthew
2006-12-20, 01:29 PM
Q 338

Could my Fighter 1, whilst armed with a Sword and Shield, make an Unarmed Attack? I ask because it occurs to me that Monk type Characters are supposedly able to attack with other parts of the body, even whilst their hands are otherwise occupied. Usually they have Unarmed Strike, but I wonder, would they provoke an Attack of Opportunity if they were armed, deprived of Unarmed Strike and made an Unarmed Attack?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-20, 02:31 PM
A 338

Yes, your fighter could make an unarmed strike with a kick, elbow, headbutt, or whatever you have free. It would still prvoke an AoO unless your fighter had Improved Unarmed Strike, as you still wind up exposing a relatively unprotected appendage.

Matthew
2006-12-20, 02:42 PM
A 339

Okay, could that same Fighter make a Primary atack with his Sword and a Secondary Unarmed Attack, using the Two Weapon Fighting Rules, without losing his Shield Bonus? Am I right in thinking that in this case his Off Hand Attack would qualify as a Light Weapon?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-20, 03:01 PM
A 339

That is correct. The only attacck form that denies you your shield bonus is a shield bash (and that can be overcome with the appropriate feat).

Unarmed strikes are considered light weapons. So the off-hand attack would be made at reduced penalty.

Amiria
2006-12-20, 05:29 PM
Q340 Is it within the power of Limited Wish (or Wish, that doesn't really matter) to grant a +7 (or probably +9) bonus on a caster level check ?.

AmberVael
2006-12-20, 05:55 PM
Q 341
When using the Wish, Miracle, or Reality Revision style powers that duplicate the effects of a spell, does it use that spell or power's casting time, or does it still use the casting time for the Wish/Miracle/Reality Revision?

Douglas
2006-12-20, 08:35 PM
A 340
If the bonus is for SR penetration, then duplicating Assay Spell Resistance is well within the stated limits of Wish, or even Limited Wish, and gives +10. Bonuses for other purposes are up to the DM unless you can find a spell to duplicate (I think there's one in the Spell Compendium that gives +2 caster level and save DC for all purposes for the next spell you cast).

A 341
Casting time is one of the few things in the Wish spell that does not say "see text" and is therefore independent of the effect produced. The Components line also lacks those words, so Wish could duplicate Raise Dead without requiring either the 10 minute casting time or the 5000 gp worth of diamonds.

Winged One
2006-12-20, 08:59 PM
Q342

Is it possible to use Power Attack on an Attack of Opportunity? My DM seems to think that this:
An experienced character gets additional regular melee attacks (by using the full attack action), but at a lower attack bonus. You make your attack of opportunity, however, at your normal attack bonus—even if you’ve already attacked in the round. means that I cannot do so.

Douglas
2006-12-20, 09:33 PM
A 342
In that context "normal attack bonus" means nothing more than that it is not reduced for being an additional attack. Any and all other modifiers apply as normal, including the penalty/bonus for Power Attack. You cannot decide to use Power Attack at the time the AoO comes up, however - that decision is made during your turn and cannot be changed until your turn comes up in initiative order again. If your DM refuses to change his mind and/or you want to be something of a munchkin, point out that it makes no reference at all to damage, so the bonus from Power Attack - which lasts one entire round, not just for a single attack - still applies, even though the penalty (through his entirely houseruled ruling) does not.:smallbiggrin:

Vik
2006-12-21, 11:52 AM
A342 bis
You can also point to him that the Flurry of blows ability, which give a penalty for the round, says "This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm) the monk might make before her next action"

ski309
2006-12-21, 10:05 PM
Q343

Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.So if a normal shuriken hits, it's lost, while if it misses I have a 50% shot at getting it back.

Masterwork ammunition is damaged (effectively destroyed) when used.This makes it sound like if I get masterwork shurikens, they're lost even if I miss. Is this true?

Q343b
How much does it cost to make magic +1 shurikens? I know regular weapons cost the enhancement bonus squared times 1000gp, but what about shurikens and other ammunition? Also, are they also destroyed the same way masterwork shurikens are when used?

Q344
Can a person wear gloves of dexterity and gauntlets of ogre strength at the same time?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-21, 10:18 PM
A 343

That would appear to be the case. Not sure what the in-game rationale is.

A 343b

Magic Weapons cost Enhancement Bonus Squared times 2,000 gp. You've got the cost for armor.

In any case, ammunition—arrows, bolts, sling bullets, shurikens, etc. Are typically enchanted in groups of 50. Likewise, the masterwork cost for ammunition is spread out over 50 pieces of ammuntion. So a single shuriken +1 costs 1/5 + 300/50 + 2,000/50 == 0.2 + 6 + 40 == 46.2 gp

Sources:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/weapons.html#shuriken
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/weapons.html#masterwork-weapons
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsAW.html#table-weapons

Jack_Simth
2006-12-21, 10:25 PM
A 341
Casting time is one of the few things in the Wish spell that does not say "see text" and is therefore independent of the effect produced. The Components line also lacks those words, so Wish could duplicate Raise Dead without requiring either the 10 minute casting time or the 5000 gp worth of diamonds.

Q345:
Do effects such as Miracle, Limited Wish, Wish, Bend Reality, Reality Revision, Shadow Conjouration, Greater Shadow Conjouration, and Shades inherit the descriptors of the spells they duplicate?

AmberVael
2006-12-21, 10:28 PM
A343b
To answer the part Shhalahr missed:

Magic Ammunition and Breakage: When a magic arrow, crossbow bolt, or sling bullet misses its target, there is a 50% chance it breaks or otherwise is rendered useless. A magic arrow, bolt, or bullet that hits is destroyed.

EDIT: If you saw my answer to Q343, then it was an answer to a question that was edited out.

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-22, 01:22 AM
Q344
Can a person wear gloves of dexterity and gauntlets of ogre strength at the same time?

A344. No. Gloves and gauntlets take up the same body slot. So you can wear one pair or the other, but not both. From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)...

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn...One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands

Although depending on what the gloves are fluff-wise, you could probably wear both, but you can only gain the magical benefit from one pair.

Matthew
2006-12-22, 06:17 AM
Q 343 continued...

Wait, are we saying that Magic and Normal Ammunition has a 50% Chance of surviving if it misses, but Masterwork Ammunition does not? I doubt that is what is meant. Can somebody source these references?

Khantalas
2006-12-22, 06:25 AM
Q 345. Can a dervish use Power Attack with scimitars?

Vik
2006-12-22, 08:49 AM
Q 343 continued...

Wait, are we saying that Magic and Normal Ammunition has a 50% Chance of surviving if it misses, but Masterwork Ammunition does not? I doubt that is what is meant. Can somebody source these references?
Q 343 ended By RAW, that's exactly what happen, see this SRD link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#masterworkWeapons).

One could rule that if you miss, you can roll the 50% usual ammunition surviving chance, if it do so then it becomes a normal ammunition, not being anymore masterwork.

Vik
2006-12-22, 08:59 AM
A 345
RAW, you can't choose not to use a permanent ability. So as there is no mention of "for the purpose of two-weapon fighting" in the dervish ability, he can use Power attack but will gain no bonus damage from it for scimitars, as they are effectively light weapons in his hands.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-22, 10:13 AM
Re: Q/A 343

There's a good chance it's poor editing that should have been cleared up in errata and never did, but that's how the rules read, as silly as it is. That's how I'm treating it anyway.

Matthew
2006-12-22, 10:39 AM
Q / A 343

I'm fairly convinced its bad editing. The entry for Arrow specifically states it's 50% property, as does the entry for Bolt and Bullet, but not Shuriken. Then the Ammunition section has the gall to say "generally...", then there's the Magic Ammunition entry that confirms the Normal, but not the Masterwork rule. Noting in the FAQ? Just another question to add to my (unanswered) list.

AmberVael
2006-12-22, 11:01 AM
Q 346
Now I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but anyways:
Suppose you are affected by a Maximized spell/power.
However, lets say you were also targeted by the psionic power Damp Power (Complete Psionic, page 82), which says "All variable numeric effects of the next power, psi-like ability, spell, or spell-like ability that affects you... are decreased to their minimal value." (Note: this is a summary, but it accurately reflects the power's purpose).
So what happens when Maximize meets Damp Power?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-22, 12:26 PM
A. 343

The Sage seems to believe that all ammunition follow the same rules.
(Note that ammunition made from special materials is also masterwork)

Does ammunition made with a special material, such as
adamantine, break after use as with magical ammunition?

Yes, ammunition made from a special material breaks if it
hits the target, and it has a 50% chance to break even if it
misses the target. Mundane ammunition (neither magical nor
made of a special material) has the same breakage chances.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-22, 01:08 PM
A. 346

2 Interpretations and 1 practical approach.

1. interpretation:
A maximized spell/effect does not have any "variable, numeric effect", so Damp Power has no effect and the maximized spell/effect is still maximized.

2. interpretation:
A maximized spell/effect is still considered to have a "variable, numeric effect", so Damp Power works as normal and minimizes the variables.

Practical approach (NOT RAW):
Damp Power and Maximize cancels each other and you roll damage as you would have if none of them had been in effect.

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-22, 05:35 PM
A343 Final

Sheriff of Moddingham: This Q&A has reached the point where it is a (non-simple) discussion. If the OP of Q343 wants to make a seperate thread for it, that's fine. Otherwise, let's let it lie. Thanks!

carabaldo
2006-12-23, 09:26 AM
Q347
Is there in D&D a spell that allows to speak with the spirit of a specific dead person?
If yes, what is?

(Speak with dead permits only to speak with a corpse.)
Thanks

squishycube
2006-12-23, 02:13 PM
A347 But not really an answer
It depends very heavily on the world your DM runs.
If the spirit realm is somehow accessible from the material plane (planeshift and the like) then the more powerful divination spells should work too, but if the spirit realm is completely seperate, this might not work. In the core books, very little is said about the standard world, and nothing like this is mentioned, AFAIK.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-23, 11:59 PM
Q348

Can a medium sized creature weild a large one-handed weapon with two hands?

Q349

Why does a small greatsword do 1d10 damage, when the tiny and large weapon table (7-4) says that the equivilent small damage for a medium 2d6 weapon would be 1d8? A ton of things on the list are like that. Is the wepon table or the comparison table wrong?

Winged One
2006-12-24, 12:22 AM
A348
Yes, but at a penalty. I believe that it is -4. Also reducable with Monkey Grip, which is a really bad idea.
A349
There's a typo in your PHB(or DMG, I don't remember which one has that table in it). The actual table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize). Unless, of course, you meant a Tiny-sized greatsword, which is a full size category under Small.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-12-24, 01:54 AM
A348 (yes I know its my question)

Ummmm, it says that its only a -2. And if you have monkey grip, the minus goes away and you can weild it normally. And it sounds like a great idea :biggrin:

Matthew
2006-12-24, 10:42 AM
Q349

Is there a Feat (preferably) or Prestige Class that allows a Character to apply his full Strength Bonus to his Off Hand Damage?

squishycube
2006-12-24, 10:44 AM
A348 Correction
For a medium character, a large longsword (one-handed for a large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon. A medium character takes a -2 penalties to attack rolls using this weapon (1 times -2, 1 step difference between intended wielder and actual wielder). This is explained on page 113 of the PHB, under the heading "Weapon Size" (Couldn't find it in the SRD, sorry)
Monkey Grip will never reduce that penalty to attack rolls (Page 103 of the Complete Warrior).
What Monkey Grip basically does is
it allows you to normally wield a weapon one size category larger than you can wield without the feat.
With Monkey Grip, a large one-handed weapon is still a one-handed weapon for a medium character, a medium dagger is still a light weapon for a small creature and a huge two-handed weapon is still a two-handed weapon for a large creature.

The 3.0 version of the feat didn't remove the -2 penalty either, where this myth comes from I'm not sure. It was a terrible, terrible feat, incredibly badly worded and amazingly overpowered.

A349 Semi-Answer
I don't know of a feat or class, but there are monsters who have multiple arms as primary attacks (Like the Ape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ape.htm) and the Dire Ape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direApe.htm)) you could try modeling a feat or PrC after that?

clockwork warrior
2006-12-24, 12:16 PM
Q350

do the spells mage armor and shield stack?

Khantalas
2006-12-24, 12:17 PM
A. 350 Yes, they do.

Winged One
2006-12-25, 04:24 AM
Q 351
The wording for the Timeless Body class feature for the Eldrich Disciple PrC(Complete Mage p 53) does not specify that the Disciple dies when their time is up. Does that mean that a 10th level Eldrich Disciple really is immortal?

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 05:17 AM
A 351. By RAW, as the class feature does not state that it's like the monk class feature Timeless Age, an Eldritch Disciple does not die of old age, and also does not gain the aging bonuses to Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma.

That said, it should have an errata to fix it up.

v Heh... Boni...

squishycube
2006-12-25, 04:49 PM
A350 Extended
Stacking boni always causes a lot of confusion in D&D. Therefor I feel it is useful also to explain why particular boni stack.
The spell Mage Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mageArmor.htm) and Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm) provide an Armor Bonus and a Shield Bonus respectively. Since differently named boni always stack, in this case its easy. WotC published a series of articles in the Rules of the Game section. Does it stack part 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040120a), part 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040127a), part 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040203a) and part 4 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040210a).
A summary of the articles would be: boni with different names and nameless boni always stack. Dodge boni always stack. Circumstance boni from different sources stack.

squishycube
2006-12-25, 05:32 PM
Q352
In the light of this paragraph, written by Skip Williams in the Rules of the Game:
"If you choose to use only one end of a double weapon, you get to choose which end to use (though some double weapons have identical game statistics). No matter which end you choose, you wield the double weapon in two hands and you gain 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus on damage from a hit."

But one of the ends of a double weapon is treated as a light weapon and you can't use as light weapon two-handed to get 1-1/2 times your strength bonus.
Obviously, what Skip writes on the WotC website is authoritative, but not RAW. So what does the RAW say on this matter?

Khantalas
2006-12-25, 05:38 PM
A 352. One end counts as a light weapon when you wield the weapon as if you're fighting with two weapons. Otherwise, you wield the weapon as you would wield any two-handed weapon (not literally, but rules-wise).

Matthew
2006-12-25, 06:37 PM
A 352... Just to Clarify

A Quarter Staff, much like a Bastard Sword, is listed as a Two Handed Weapon. It has the special ability that it can be used in a Two Weapon Fighting Capacity, in which case it becomes subject to those rules.

Bobbis
2006-12-26, 07:17 PM
Q: 353 Wands
Is there any rule that states that wands above 4th level can not be created? Prices are only listed up to 4th level, but I can't find a rule that states this limitation.

Rigeld2
2006-12-26, 07:25 PM
Q: 353 Wands
Is there any rule that states that wands above 4th level can not be created? Prices are only listed up to 4th level, but I can't find a rule that states this limitation.

A 353
Craft Wand [Item Creation]

Prerequisite

Caster level 5th.
Benefit

You can create a wand of any 4th-level or lower spell that you know.

krossbow
2006-12-26, 07:29 PM
Is there any way to remove a tangle foot bag entanglement without universal solvent or waiting 24 hours? The way it is worded sounds like the damage mentioned is only to remove yourself from the floor after failing the reflex save, not to remove the -4 to dex and -2 to attack rolls.

Raum
2006-12-26, 08:28 PM
A 354 The effects of a tangle foot bag will last no more than 8 rounds. You can also scrape it off yourself by doing 15 points of damage to it.

Tanglefoot Bag

When you throw a tanglefoot bag at a creature (as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet), the bag comes apart and the goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. Huge or larger creatures are unaffected by a tanglefoot bag. A flying creature is not stuck to the floor, but it must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be unable to fly (assuming it uses its wings to fly) and fall to the ground. A tanglefoot bag does not function underwater.
A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move (including flying) at half speed. A character capable of spellcasting who is bound by the goo must make a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness. An application of universal solvent to a stuck creature dissolves the alchemical goo immediately.Emphasis added.

Winged One
2006-12-26, 08:28 PM
A 354 addendum
A DC 17 STR check will also suffice. Also, you're supposed to number your question

Maclav
2006-12-27, 08:43 AM
A 354 addendum
The way the text is written,
After a successful ranged touch attack for 2d4 rounds:
- Take a -2 attack, -4 dex.
- If you fail a DC15 reflex, you are unable to move. If you succeeded you may move at 1/2 speed.
- If you failed the reflex save, you can use standard actions to break free via a DC17 str check or doing 15 points of slashing damage. Breaking free allows you to move at 1/2 speed, but you continue to have the -2 attack and -4 dex.

There is no way to avoid the -2/-4 and 1/2 movement other than avoiding the bag throw completely, being huge or having something like free moment in effect. Its a nice effect for for the price.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-27, 11:21 AM
Re: A 351

I don't have Complete Mage, so I initially refrained from answering this question, since I don't have access to the exact wording as it appears in that book. However, I want to point out the following regarding the wording of the Monk ability.

Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.
The only bonus Timeless Body Lists is that "a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged." There is nothing that directly implies they would be unable to die of old age. As such, the final statement mentioning bonuses (yes, Squishy, bonuses :smallwink:) still accruing and dying of old age appears to be a statement of clarification meant to prevent a misreading of the first two sentences. That is, even without that statement, Timeless Body would not grant this limited form of immortality.

So if the Eldritch Disciple's Timeless Body description is identical to the Monk's in all respects save the final sentence, there is no reason to believe it grants immunity to death from old age. However, if it's worded completely differently... well, I'll have to see how it's worded to comment further.

The J Pizzel
2006-12-27, 05:32 PM
Q 355
My player wants to play a Tiefling Rogue. It has a +1 level ajdustment. The players are starting at level 5. Does this mean he should actually be a level 4 rogue in order to stay even with everyone else? He says no, since the Tiefling doesn't add any HD, Feats or Skills.

Khantalas
2006-12-27, 05:33 PM
A 355. He has 4 HD to add on that level adjustment to stay even with others. The level adjustment accounts for ability bonus and penalty balance, darkness, skill bonuses and stuff.

v Yes.

The J Pizzel
2006-12-27, 05:37 PM
So, he should be a level 4 rogue?

Raum
2006-12-27, 05:45 PM
A355 Yes. From the SRD:

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level

To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.
Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.
Monster characters treat skills mentioned in their monster entry as class skills.
If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).
Even if the creature is of a kind that normally advances by Hit Dice rather than class levels a PC can gain class levels rather than Hit Dice.

Bobbis
2006-12-28, 10:42 PM
Q 356: Increasing Size for Reach Weapons

If a weapon increases in size (I.E. a large or huge spiked chain) how much does it's reach increase?

I.E. say you have a large creature with natural reach of 5 feet, then he wields a large spiked chain, is his reach still 10 feet or does the large spiked chain increase his reach 5 feet over a medium spiked chain? Say he is wielding a huge chain instead?

Raool
2006-12-29, 01:51 AM
A 356
I don't think a character can wield a weapon two size categories larger than it's size.
The ones that are one category larger and can be wielded to some effect given the right feats don't extend the character's reach.
I'm not sure on this because I have no time to check it out. Will do that later during the day when I have some spare time although I'm sure someone will have responded by then.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-29, 03:22 AM
A. 356

A reach weapon extends your natural reach by the same factor, regardless of the size of the weapon.

I.e. A medium creature with a natural reach of 5' who wields a reach weapon, sized for medium creatures, that doubles the reach to 10' will have the same reach as a medium creature with a natural reach of 5' who wields the same type of reach weapon sized for large creatures.

Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

I also think there is a FAQ entry on this.

Raool
2006-12-29, 10:25 AM
Wow, I was right. Cool !

Bobbis
2006-12-29, 07:47 PM
Q 356(b)

Wait, so a collosal spear is the same reach as a normal spear; I.E. 5 feet beyond your normal reach?

Raool
2006-12-29, 07:51 PM
A 3569(b)

And how exactly would you wield it ? A colossal spear would probably double the natural reach of a colossal monster. If the said monster could use it that is.

Bobbis
2006-12-29, 08:15 PM
Here's the exact example; my player wants to make a goliath fighter with monkey grip. He's a medium creature but he can wield a huge two handed weapon with only a -2 penalty; he's wondering if larger chain = larger reach.

Maclav
2006-12-29, 08:36 PM
A 356(c)

Here's the exact example; my player wants to make a goliath fighter with monkey grip. He's a medium creature but he can wield a huge two handed weapon with only a -2 penalty; he's wondering if larger chain = larger reach.

Money grip and powerful build do not stack. Reach is based on character size (Goliath is medium, reach is 5ft), not the size of the weapon you are wielding, as quoted above. Reach weapons double your natural reach.

Raool
2006-12-29, 09:09 PM
A 356(c)

If he could wield a huge weapon on a medium character, although I'm not sure how, I'm not familiar with the goliath race, I would rule that he gets another 10 feet reach since a huge two handed weapon doubles the threat range for a huge creature which is essentially 10 feet. So yes, that would give him 15 feet reach. I'm kind of lost in details so there's a high probability that I would rule wrong. I'm known for overpowering my players through faulty rules. :(
Also I think monkey grip helps with weapons only one size larger than the characters normal weapon size.

MONKEY GRIP [GENERAL]
You are able to use a larger weapon than other people your
size.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
Benefi t: You can use melee weapons one size category
larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack roll, but
the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does
not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed
weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed
weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat.
For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered
a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as
a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands.
You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you
cannot use this feat with a double weapon.
Normal: You can use a melee weapon one size category
larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack roll, and the amount of effort it takes to use the weapon increases. A larger light weapon is considered a one-handed weapon, a larger onehanded weapon is considered a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger two-handed weapon at all.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-30, 12:42 PM
A. 356 b

Yes, for a creature who normally has 5' foot reach. (Assuming that it could be wielded in the first place.)

Here is the FAQ entry in case you do not believe in the RAW:

How do reach weapons work if they are of a different size than the creature wielding them? Say, an ogre wielding a Small or Medium glaive, or a human with the Monkey Grip feat wielding a Large ranseur? What is the reach for each situation?

A reach weapon doubles its wielder’s natural reach, but only if the weapon is at least of an appropriate size for the wielder. Wielding a “too-small” reach weapon grants no reach. An ogre (Large) wielding a Medium or smaller reach weapon gains no reach from the weapon, and could thus attack foes either 5 feet or 10 feet distant (as normal for a Large creature wielding a non-reach weapon).
A human (Medium) wielding a Large or larger reach weapon could attack a creature 10 feet away (but no further), and could not use the weapon to attack a creature 5 feet away (as normal for a Medium creature wielding a reach weapon). A human wielding a Small reach weapon would gain no reach from the weapon.
The Player’s Handbook isn’t as clear on this as it could be, although an example of reach in action on page 113 in the Player’s Handbook provides pretty strong support: “A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away . . .” [italics added]. While this reference doesn’t mention the ability to wield a reach weapon larger than the appropriate size, allowing such a weapon to grant reach to its wielder is a reasonable extension of the spirit and intent of the rule.

Also note that Powerful Build and Monkey Grip does not stack for the purpose of using "larger-than-normal" weapons, as pointed out above.

AmberVael
2006-12-30, 01:54 PM
Q 357
Kdokey, here's an interesting question:
How would the Apopsi (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/apopsi.htm) power affect a wizard, assuming Magic/Psionic transparency?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-30, 02:29 PM
A 357

Transparency doesn't matter much in the case of apopsi, since the target is "one psionic creature." That means the target must have power points or access to psi-like abilities (and the ensuing psionic subtype those abilities carry). Unless its something slightly unusual (an Elan Wizard 5, is considered a psionic creature, for example), it shouldn't be a problem.

In those unusual cases, I don't think there is a RAW ruling (there's none I've seen anyway). I would suggest along the following guidelines:

A psionic creature with no manifesting or spellcasting capability (including creatures that only have psi-like or spell-like abilities abilities), while a de jure valid target, is effectively immune to this power. There are no powers to erase, so nothing happens. It's like trying to trip a creature that's already prone.

For a psionic creature that has no powers but casts spells, treat the spells like powers. For spontaneous spellcasters, this is bad news. For a prepared spellcaster, you have three options. You can assume a spell being "erased from memory permanently" is similar to how casting the spell "erases" it from memory and nothing prevents the spellcaster from restoring it through normal preparation. Or you can decide that the power somehow makes it impossible for the spellcaster to imprint the arcane or divine energies for that particular spell into his or her mind ever again. Finally, it's possible that apopsi was meant to be an exception to normal Psionics/Magic Transparency (similar to the Antipsionic Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#antipsionicMagic) feat), but an oversight caused an explicit mention of this to be left out. In the third case, even a psionic spellcaster could be potentially immune.

Amiria
2006-12-30, 03:56 PM
Q 358

Some questions that appeared when I compiled the list for my Shapechange thread:

What happens when a caster uses Shapechange to take on the form of a Protean Scourge (MM3) and then, in response to being damaged, the Split (Su) ability of the creature activates ?

Does the equipment of the caster also split/duplicate ? If so, how are items with charges (like wands), one-shot items (like scrolls) or items with a daily use limit (like metamagic rods) affected ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-30, 04:32 PM
A. 358

The description of Split is silent on this issue.
Since equipment is not mentioned I would have to say that this is not duplicated.

Personally I would allow the Protean Scourge to distribute the equipment as it sees fit.

Bobbis
2006-12-30, 06:11 PM
Q359

If you animate a wand can it use it's own charges if so ordered?

Winged One
2006-12-30, 06:30 PM
A359
If you mean via animate objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm), you can't animate a wand at all. Animated objects have to be nonmagical.

Winged One
2006-12-30, 09:29 PM
Q360
Does the Eldritch Glaive invocation allow the warlock using it to attack adjacent squares(as if with a normal weapon) in addition to as a reach weapon?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-12-30, 10:04 PM
A 360

Reach weapons (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/weapons.html#reach-weapons), particularly the epononymous glaive, default to being unable to threaten adjacent areas. The few reach weapons that can threaten nearby squares (such as the spiked chain) are explicit exceptions to the rule.

Since eldritch glaive strikes "as if wielding a reach weapon" with no explicit exception, it appears that an eldritch glaive is unable to threaten adjacent squares.

Winged One
2007-01-01, 01:31 AM
Q361
If a sorcerer or other spontaneous caster has Heighten Spell, can they use their highest level spell slot to determine the power of a reserve feat, and perhaps if they qualify for it at all?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-01, 04:55 PM
A. 361

Since Heigthen Spell actually changes the level of the spell in question (unlike other metamagic feats) I would have to say yes.

Fawsto
2007-01-01, 10:17 PM
Q 362

Is there any rule in D&D for using Spears (not half spears) and Shields in the Roman style? Pehaps a feat or something that allow the manouver?

Raool
2007-01-01, 11:00 PM
And what roman style would that be ? Shield wall ? Because if you're thinking of phalanxes it was not the romans that were the most well known for using them but the greeks.
And the weapons they were weilding would most certainly be classified as Longspears.

Raum
2007-01-01, 11:06 PM
A 362 If by "Roman style" you meant throwing a pilum (roughly equivalent to a javelin in D&D) then you can RAW, no feat required.

However if you're referring to using a spear and shield in melee, only the shortspear (as a one handed weapon) may be used with a shield. I don't know of any feats or abilities allowing otherwise that aren't home grown. As a side note, the Romans are best known for using a gladius in melee. Greek hoplites are probably more representative of a shield & spear melee army.

Sieg
2007-01-01, 11:23 PM
If by any chance you can consider a Big Sized Half Spear, you could use the Monkey Grip feat here, am I right?

Matthew
2007-01-02, 07:02 AM
A 362 Continued

Yes, you could use a Large Short Spear, it wouldn't be worth it though, as you would only gain a slight Damage Die Expansion in exchange for a Feat; might as well just use a Short Spear. House Rules are currently the only way to recreate Ancient and Medieval Spear and Shield fighting forms, unless you consider the Short Spear a reasonable representation.
Saying that, I think I have heard tell of a Dragon Magazine that had a Base Class or Prestige Class in it that modelled this sort of combat. Something like 'Spear Fighter' or along those lines.

Early Roman Republican Legionaries, Roman Auxillaries and later Imperial Legionaries did indeed make use of Spear and Shield combat, but in any case the Pilum and Scutum Model is also impossible in D&D (unless you count the Short Spear as a Pilum).

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-02, 08:35 AM
Q363:Can a doppleganger or a fey'ri use their alter shape ablilty to morph their limbs into,say,swords and use it in combat?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-02, 08:41 AM
A. 363

No, not unless you can find some legal shape that naturally has "swords"/claws for limbs.

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-02, 08:57 AM
Q364:ok,so dopplegangers/fey'ri cant turn into weapons,but can you do it with Alter self/polymorph/shapechange?

(yes,I know that thoose spells are cheesey,but I'd like to know any way)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-02, 09:02 AM
A. 364

No, not unless you can find some legal shape that naturally has "swords"/claws for limbs.

You can only make minor changes to the base creature.

You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind.

Khantalas
2007-01-02, 04:36 PM
A. 364. (Example) Deadly Dancer from ToM is an example creature of humanoid shape with blades instead of normal limbs.

Falrin
2007-01-02, 04:42 PM
Q 365.

I saw a Sorceror PrC somewhere, but can't remember the name or in which book.

Things I do remeber :
Think it was 3.0,
Every 2 LvLs it gave a +1 bonus to CHA.

What is it, Where can I find it and is it any good?

Raool
2007-01-02, 11:36 PM
Q 366

Can you flank with ranged weapons ? If one PC is attacking a creature in melee and another PC, directly across from it, attacks the same creature with a ranged attack. Does the ranged attacker or the melee one get any flanking bonus. (If you draw a straight line from one PC to another it passes through the monster's square and through 2 parallel lines that compose the square that the monster is occupying)

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-02, 11:53 PM
A.366. No. "Flanking" requires your comrade to be "threatening" the target, and "threatening" requires that your comrade be able to make a melee attack at the target.

SRD:

Flanking
When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.

Threatened Squares
You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally).

P.S. If you had said "reach" instead of "ranged" the answer would be "yes."

Raool
2007-01-03, 12:49 AM
Mkay, thanks. Was just trying to understand how the Nightsong Infiltrator's Teamwork Sneak Attack worked.

Thomix
2007-01-03, 11:35 AM
A 366

In PHII, the ranger can change his animal companion to get a special attack to flank even with ranged weapon

Fawsto
2007-01-04, 01:04 AM
Q367

What is the roleplaying view for the feat: Combat Especialization?
I mean, you can trade attack bonus for armor class, but how it happens?

Raool
2007-01-04, 01:19 AM
A 367
You fight more carefully ? You pay more attention to the incoming blows than to your own swings.

Athenodorus
2007-01-04, 11:05 AM
Q 368
Is a Wizard allowed to take 10 on a roll to learn a spell from a scroll or another's spellbook, after the writing has been deciphered?
I am sorry if this has been asked -- I know it is a newbieish question -- but I could not find an answer via the search function. The SRD and PHB don't say it is prohibited that I could find.

The J Pizzel
2007-01-04, 11:16 AM
Q 369
When casting a metamigic spell, does it use the spell slot of the spell AND the higher one. Example: Scorching Ray is a 2nd level spell. If I "empower", does it take a level 2 slot (for the spell) AND a level 4 slot (for the empowering)? Also, would the effect of the "empower" be on both rays of the Scorching Ray or just the first one?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 11:44 AM
A. 368

Yes, assuming that you are not being threatened or distracted.

You could not take 20, since failing carries penalties.

Taking 10: When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 11:46 AM
A. 369

No, you only use the higher one.
So your empowered Scorching Ray would "only" take up a 4th level slot.

All rays are affected.

KingRexII
2007-01-04, 02:08 PM
Q. 370

Armor spikes can be used for a regular melee attack (reference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorSpikes)). Does this mean that a character (let's say one with +0 BAB for simplicity) wielding a two-handed weapon and armor spikes can attack with both on a full attack? Or, using the same character, attack with a one-handed main-hand weapon, wield a shield in her off-hand (and keep the shield AC bonus), and attack with the armor spikes on a full attack?

It doesn't seem quite right to me if either is allowed, but I can't seem to find anything written that verifies the ruling one way or another. Thanks to whomever answers this!

Matthew
2007-01-04, 02:14 PM
A. 370

Indeed it does. You can read about it in the FAQ particularly. A Character can also make an Unarmed Strike as an alternative. A Character could even be using Two Weapons (or a Shield) and instead of using the Off Hand Attack, make an Unarmed Strike or Off Hand Armour Spike Attack. It does seem a bit strange at first, but it actually isn't too bad.

D&D FAQ (22-11-06), p. 23.

Can a character with Quick Draw and a base attack
bonus of +6 or better make a melee attack with one weapon
and a ranged attack with another weapon in the same
round? What if the melee weapon requires two hands to
wield?
Yes. There’s nothing inherent in the full attack action that
requires all the attacks to be made as the same kind of attack or
with the same kind of weapon.
A character with a base attack bonus of +6 or better holding
a longsword, for example, could make a melee attack with the
longsword (using his full base attack bonus), drop the
longsword (a free action), use Quick Draw to draw a dagger
(another free action), then throw the dagger (using his base
attack bonus –5). If the character had both hands free (for
instance, if he didn’t carry a light or heavy shield in his off
hand), he could even use Quick Draw to draw a bow (free
action), draw and nock an arrow (free action) and then shoot
the bow (using his base attack bonus –5).
This situation is actually improved if the melee weapon is a
two-handed weapon. A character can hold a two-handed
weapon in one hand; he just can’t attack with it while it’s held
like that. Thus, he wouldn’t even have to drop the weapon in
order to draw and throw the dagger. If Krusk the 6th-level
barbarian had Quick Draw, he could swing his greataxe (using
his full base attack bonus), then leave the axe in his off-hand
while drawing a javelin with his primary hand (free action), and
finally throw the javelin (using his base attack bonus –5). If
Krusk were drawing a ranged weapon that required two hands
to use (such as a bow), he’d have to drop his greataxe.

D&D FAQ (22-11-06), p. 34.

Just how and when can you use armor spikes? If you’re
using two weapons already, can you use armor spikes to
make a second off-hand attack? What if you’re using a
weapon and a shield? Can you use the armor spikes for an
off-hand attack and still get a shield bonus to Armor Class
from the shield? What if you use a two-handed weapon?
Can you wield the weapon in two hands and still make an
off-hand attack with the spikes? What are your options for
using armor spikes in a grapple? Can you use them when
pinned? If you have another light weapon, can you use that
and your armor spikes when grappling?
When you fight with more than one weapon, you gain an
extra attack. (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and greater
Two-Weapon Fighting give you more attacks with the extra
weapon.) Armor spikes are a light weapon that can be used as
the extra weapon.
If you attack only with your armor spikes during your turn
(or use the armor spikes to make an attack of opportunity), you
use them just like a regular weapon. If you use the full attack
action, you can use armor spikes as either a primary light
weapon or as an off-hand light weapon, even if you’re using a
shield or using a two-handed weapon. In these latter two cases,
you’re assumed to be kicking or kneeing your foe with your
armor spikes.
Whenever you use armor spikes as an off-hand weapon,
you suffer all the penalties for attacking with two weapons (see
Table 8–10 in the Player’s Handbook). When using armor
spikes along with a two-handed weapon, it is usually best to
use the two-handed weapon as your primary attack and the
armor spikes as the off-hand weapon. You can use the armor
spikes as the primary weapon and the two-handed weapon as
the off-hand attack, but when you do so, you don’t get the
benefit of using a light weapon in your off hand.
You cannot, however, use your armor spikes to make a
second off-hand attack when you’re already fighting with two
weapons. If you have a weapon in both hands and armor spikes,
you can attack with the weapons in your hands (and not with
the armor spikes) or with one of the weapons in your hands and
the armor spikes (see the description of spiked armor in
Chapter 7 of the Player’s Handbook).
When grappling, you can damage your foe with your spikes
by making a regular grapple check (opposed by your foe’s
check). If you succeed, you deal piercing damage to your foe
(see Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook) rather than the
unarmed strike damage you’d normally deal when damaging
your foe with a grapple check. Since you can use armor spikes
as a light weapon, you can simply use them to attack your foe.
You suffer a –4 penalty on your attack roll when attacking with
a light weapon in a grapple (see page 156 in the Player’s
Handbook), but if your foe is bigger or stronger than you, this
might prove a better tactic than trying to deal damage through a
grapple check because there is no opposed roll to make—you
just have to hit your opponent’s Armor Class. You can’t attack
with two weapons when grappling, even when one of those
weapons is armor spikes (see the section on grappling in
Chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook).
You can’t attack and damage your foe if he has you pinned.
If you break the pin and avoid being pinned again, you can go
back to attacking your foe. If your attack bonus is high enough
to allow multiple attacks, you might break the pin and then use
your remaining attack to damage your foe. To accomplish this,
you must first use an attack to break the pin. You can break a
pin using the Escape Artist skill, but trying to do so is a
standard action for you; once you use the standard action to
attempt escape, you can’t make any more attacks during your
turn.

Unfortunately the FAQ is not at all clear how Strength Damage Bonus is calculated if you choose to make an Off Hand Attack with a Two Handed Weapon; I rather suspect it is an oversight.

I should also probably refer you to this series of articles:

Two Handed Fighting 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060829a)
Two Handed Fighting 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060905a)
Two Handed Fighting 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060912a)

AmberVael
2007-01-04, 10:52 PM
Q 371
This is probably answered somewhere, but I can't find it.
When qualifying for Epic Feats, do you need to be Level 21, or ECL 21?

Maclav
2007-01-04, 11:43 PM
A 371

You are not considered an epic character until you have 20 class levels, by RAW. This is true for all things Epic.

First sentence: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/basics.htm

AmberVael
2007-01-05, 12:00 AM
A 371
((yes its my own question. :P))
^: Actually its level 21, by RAW.

Epic characters—those whose character level is 21st or higherBut does ECL- Effective Character Level, count as Character Level?
I'll assume no.

VV: Ah, that'd explain it.

Q 372
If a wizard/sorcerer/caster person of doom makes a scroll with a metamagic feat in it, and he has Easy Metamagic, Improved Metamagic, Arcane Thesis, etc, what level spell does the spell count as for purposes of XP and GP?
The spell slot usage in its creation seems to suggest that it would be the level they normally cast it as, rather than the unmodified level.

Falconsflight
2007-01-05, 12:12 AM
Q 373

I was hoping for a list of the different enhancement types there are (i.e. Profane, luck, etc) And how to get such magical items (an example of this would be having an Ion Stone of +2 enhancement to dex and then a Gloves with +2 Profane to Dex. How much do the gloves cost?)

Maclav
2007-01-05, 12:29 AM
A 371
((yes its my own question. :P))
^: Actually its level 21, by RAW.

But does ECL- Effective Character Level, count as Character Level?
I'll assume no.

CL is not ECL. You will have to reference the DMG for that one as its not SRD material. So, no.

AmberVael
2007-01-05, 02:23 AM
Q 374
I'm just racking up on the questions...
What happens when you gain a feat, a specific feat, from a class, but you already have it?

Winged One
2007-01-05, 02:34 AM
A 374
Nothing, unless the feat could normally be taken more than once. If you get the feat without qualifying for it, then you can keep it if you no longer qualify for any reason(such as STR damage to 12 or lower disqualifying you from Power Attack).

squishycube
2007-01-05, 06:17 AM
A373
The DMG appears to be making a difference between different boni, bracers of armor are cheaper than a ring of protection, because an armor bonus is 'cheaper' (balance wise, obviously).
Normal gloves of dex +2 are 4000 gp.
Bracers of armor +2 are also 4000 gp.
Ring of Protection +2 is 8000 gp.
I would rule that gloves of dexterity +2 with a 'rarer' type of bonus, like profane, are also 8000 gp.

Note that this is actually not a RAW question, since the item-pricing rules are not hard and fast, but up to the DM.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-05, 11:06 AM
A373Cont No, the increase in price for the ring of protection vs. the bracers of armor is not the bonus type, but is instead for being in the wrong slot.

squishycube
2007-01-05, 02:15 PM
A373 Discussion
Personally I value my ring slots a lot more than I do my bracer slot, so using that logic a ring should be cheaper...
I know that what Fax posted is the general consensus, but I can't find support for that in the rules.
What I do find is table 7-33: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values which states that:
Armor Bonus (Enhancement) costs bonus squared * 1000 gp, like the Bracers of Armour; and
AC Bonus (Deflection) costs bonus squared * 2000 gp; and
AC Bonus (Other) costs bonus squared * 2500 gp.

There is the "Behind the curtain: Body slot affinity" a few pages later, on page 288. This section is purely advice, not RAW.("You can use the affinities...", emphasis mine.) It does state that "wondrous items that don't match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more..."

But, Fax incorrectly extended this advice to Rings: Rings are not wondrous items, this advice doesn't work for them. (I don't mean to bash you Fax, I'm trying to help the poster of the question to an answer.)

The normal gloves of dexterity are a wondrous item as would the proposed "Profane Gloves of Dexterity" be.
Luckily, gloves have a natural affinity for "Quickness", so we're all set there.
But table 7-33 has no advice price for the price for ability boni other then the Enhancement bonus.
Therefore, this question is not truly answerable by RAW. But because we are a nice and helpful community, I try to find a fitting answer anyway.
Thus I turned to a comparable set of items: the for mentioned ring and bracers.
This lead me to believe it would be fair to double the price of the gloves of dexterity and have them provide a profane bonus, just like with the ring of protection.

But reading table 7-33 made me change my mind, I think the price should be like AC bonus (other) and thus the price would be bonus squared * 2500 gp.

If the poster of the question wants to discuss it more, I think he should open a new thread as not to clutter the Q&A thread.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-05, 02:48 PM
I do have further comment regarding A373, but I will not post it here and divert the topic further.

Raool
2007-01-05, 08:56 PM
Q 375

Are drow items affected in any way by sun light ? I'll run an underdark adventure next session so I need to be sure what happens when and if the party returns outside.

Winged One
2007-01-05, 09:05 PM
A 375
Not unless specificly designed to be affected by sunlight. Drow may wish to design some of their items to react to sunlight, but they would have to do so intentionally(or by DM fiat).

Khantalas
2007-01-05, 09:05 PM
A. 375 No, unless the item description says otherwise.

clockwork warrior
2007-01-06, 12:49 AM
Q. 376 - does magic go through all forms of damage reduction?

q. 377 - with said damage reduction, do magic weapons ( weapons with a +1 or higher enchantment bonus) count as a magic attack for the purpose of going through damage reduction?

Winged One
2007-01-06, 01:45 AM
A 376
Spells do, yes.
A 377
DR/magic refers to it being overcome by magic weapons. Other DR is only bypassed if the magic weapon also has the indicated quality(so, for example, a +1 holy longsword beat DR vs. magic and good, but not vs. silver or bludeoning). DR/Epic is bypassed by weapons with a +6 bonus. DR/- cannot be overcome except by spells(which are not to be confused with magic weapons) or effects that are like spells(psionic powers, some martial manuvers, shadow mysteries, utterances, etc).

clockwork warrior
2007-01-06, 10:03 AM
q378:
sorry for all of the damage reduction questions, but if an entry says something like "Damage Reduction 10/adamantine and bludgeoning " (taken from the clay golem) in order to beat the damage reduction, must a weapon be adamantine or bludgeoning, or adamantine and bludgeoning?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-06, 10:06 AM
A. 378

It must be both, that is what is meant by and.
If it says or, either will work.

A few creatures are harmed by more than one kind of weapon. A weapon of either type overcomes this damage reduction.

A few other creatures require combinations of different types of attacks to overcome their damage reduction. A weapon must be both types to overcome this damage reduction. A weapon that is only one type is still subject to damage reduction.

Zed's Dead
2007-01-06, 10:45 PM
q: 379

Scenario: A Dwarven Defender is grappling. His opponent manages to move (as per grappling description) and the Dwarven Defender manages to hold on. Does this movement ruin his defensive stance?

clockwork warrior
2007-01-07, 01:35 AM
q. 380

do personal spells carry over when one tranmutates themselfs? an example would be a wizard casting a spell like mage armor or stone fist, then polymorph and becoming a dragon, would he still keep the benefits of the spells?

Winged One
2007-01-07, 01:38 AM
A 380
Yes

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-07, 03:01 AM
What (or where) are the rules on alternative paladin mounts?

squishycube
2007-01-07, 05:15 AM
I hate this stupid laptop eating my post twice. Grumble
A379
It depends on how you read the ability. It could mean the DD just cannot move himself but he can be moved by others. It could mean that the DD may not move at all. Because of flavour, I favour the second option.

A381
Please number your questions, as in lined out in this thread's rules.
There are no explicit rules for this. Any mount that has any abilities the party couldn't have is a bad idea. Any mount that plays a significant role in combat is a bad idea.

Q382
If a paladins mount dies, he can't summon the mount and he takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls for 30 days. When the paladin levels, the summoning can recommence, but this out is not provided for the penalty.
This seems strange to me, I think its not what the designers intended. How does this work?

See the last paragraph of the paladins Special Mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm#specialMount) class feature.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-07, 05:36 AM
Q383
Does a caster retain his ability to cast spells whilst in a different form, having cast shapechange ability? Say a level 20 druid changes into a Balor, would they still be able to cast their Druid spells (as a Balor can complete Somantic & Verbal components, as well as assumingly material ones as well)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-07, 05:43 AM
A. 383

Yes, if the new form is able to complete the verbal and somatic components of the spell.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-07, 05:46 AM
Q383b
Would I need to complete material components? My spell puch will be "melded" into my new form and so unusable. Besides Escew Materials, how can I avoid this?

Khantalas
2007-01-07, 05:51 AM
A. 383 b Carry two component pouches. Before you cast the spell, throw one on the ground. Cast the spell, then pick up the other pouch.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-07, 05:53 AM
A. 383 b

You keep your equipment if the new form is able to wear it, so there should not be any problems there.

When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

squishycube
2007-01-07, 06:02 AM
A383
After some searching I finally found what it is that forbids a druid from spellcasting while wildshaped:

d20SRD - Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm)
The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
This is actually very strange, because if you take class levels as an awakened animal, no such restriction exists. Its only there if you change shape.

A383bCont

You keep your equipment if the new form is able to wear it, so there should not be any problems there.
This is not true for wild shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape)

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
The solution Khantalas provided would work fine I suppose, although you could also just use 1 pouch and throw that on the ground when wildshaping.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-07, 06:07 AM
(I was asking about shapechange rather than wildshape. Natural Spell means you can cast in wild shape anyway)

squishycube
2007-01-07, 06:12 AM
Ah sorry, I got confused... :elan:

Tor the Fallen
2007-01-07, 07:11 AM
Q381 Clarification

A mount with pounce would be off limits then? I'm a little unclear on the triple? negative "Any mount that doesn't have any abilities the party couldn't have is a bad idea."

A382

During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls. -- from SRD

I interpret that as only lasting the thirty day period. Spells with a duration are assumed to end at the end of the duration; during implies there is a duration.

squishycube
2007-01-07, 07:28 AM
A381Cont
I mixed up my answer when I was annoyed typing the answer for the third time. I meant to say "Any mount that has any abilities the party couldn't have is a bad idea."

Its just a rule of thumb though, and the "couldn't have" should be seen very broadly; a caster could summon a Tiger and 'use' pounce that way. What I intended was that a paladin can have any mount the DM fancies, but the DM should be careful not to overpower the paladin by giving a mount that is too good. But this is all just advice, not RAW at all.

Q382Cont
I know it says that, I linked the ability in my question ;-). But the text is written a little strange. The bit about the penalty refers to "this thirty-day period" implying it is the same as the one that goes away when the paladin gains a level.
So does a paladin who lost his mount but gained a level a few days later have to sit out the 30 days even though he can use his mount normally?
To clarify: its the difference between the ability to summon and the penalty I find strange.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-07, 08:17 AM
A. 381

DMG page 204 has guidelines for Paladin special mounts and a few suggestions.

AmberVael
2007-01-07, 12:42 PM
Q 384
Can you use Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) to see an invisible, incorporeal creature?

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-07, 02:02 PM
You ignore invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility), darkness, and concealment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#concealment)

i'd say that is all it affords a player. Flavour wise, a subtle TK field wouldn't be able to discern an incoperal being.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-07, 02:11 PM
A. 384

Incorporeal creatures are present on the same plane and is affected by "magic", so I do not see any reason why you would not detect them using Touchsight as long as you have line of effect.

Aoln the Wise
2007-01-08, 09:26 AM
Q 385
What are all the possible situations of movement next to an enemy that would give this guy an attack of opportunity?

This sounds basic, but I want to make sure I'm up-to-date with the 3.5 version for I only got the old school 3.0 version of the books!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 09:42 AM
A. 385

Any "ordinary" movement, short of special abilities, feats and tumbles etc., out of a threatened square will generally provoke an AoO.
Even if your opponent has Combat Reflexes you only provoke one AoO from a single opponent from movement, even if you leave several threatened squares, but you can still provoke AoOs from other actions.

Apart from movement there is a number of move-equivalent actions that will provoke AoO

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity: Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.

Moving: Moving out of a threatened square usually provokes an attack of opportunity from the threatening opponent. There are two common methods of avoiding such an attack—the 5-foot-step and the withdraw action (see below).

Performing a Distracting Act: Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle. Table: Actions in Combat notes many of the actions that provoke attacks of opportunity.

Remember that even actions that normally provoke attacks of opportunity may have exceptions to this rule.

You can find the table mentioned above on page 141 of the PHB or here:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/actionsInCombat.html

Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions to this general overview.

Rykaj
2007-01-08, 12:11 PM
Q 386
Little nitpicking in our gaming group...
Quicken spell reads: A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened.
Does this mean you CAN quicken a spell with a full round casting time like summon monster spells?

AmberVael
2007-01-08, 12:25 PM
Q 387
If someone was wearing two rings of Wizardry of the same level, how would this work?
IF you got both bonuses, I assume that you would not double the other ring of wizardry's bonus (so if you got 1 spell per day, wearing two rings would give you 3 spells per day, rather than 4).
But do you get the bonuses of both rings? And if you could, is my assumption correct?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 12:56 PM
A. 386

The RAW distiguishes between 1 full round action and 1 round.

So no, you cannot Quicken spells with a 1 round casting time, like many summon spells.

A sorcerer needs at least a full-round action to cast any spell modified by a metamagic feat. Does this means the spell takes effect in the following round, or does it go off at the end of the round in which it is cast?

Despite the similarity in wording, a spell that requires a “full-round action” to cast (such as that required by a metamagic-affected sorcerer spell) isn’t the same as a spell with a “1-round casting time” (such as that of a summon monster spell). The former takes your entire turn to complete, while the latter takes your entire turn as well as the time between the end of your turn and the start of your next turn.
A full-round action, such as the run action or the withdraw action, requires an entire round to complete but ends on the same turn that it began (although you can split it between two consecutive turns, as described under the “Start/Complete Full-Round Action” entry on page 142 in the Player’s Handbook).
Thus, a spell that requires a full-round action to cast is completed at the end of the caster’s turn.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 01:10 PM
A. 387

Both rings should works just fine.
(This is not an issue of bonuses from the same source stacking)

According to the guidelines on multiplying (PHB page 304) you do not double the other rings effect, so you end up with three times your normal spells per day (excluding bonus spells from abilities and specialization).

clockwork warrior
2007-01-08, 03:13 PM
Q 388:

do spells of the same name stack with each other for damage? what i mean by this is that, say i cast acid arrow on a monster that lasts 3 rounds, and the next round i cast it again, do they take 4d4 for 2 more rounds and then 2d4 for the final round? or would it just last one more turn?

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-08, 03:16 PM
A 388

They "stack", although save for enchanment bonuses spells rarely need to be conidered as such.

Zain_Thorngallow
2007-01-08, 03:49 PM
Q 389:

For the Leadership feat, as listed in the SRD:

A character’s base Leadership score equals his level plus any Charisma modifier.

Am I correct in assuming this 'level' is Effective Character Level rather then simply Class Level?

Q 390: (Though perhaps not RAW, per say...)

The Leadership feat allows the attracting of a cohort at best 2 levels behind the possessor of the feat. (Though through gaining experience they can reach one level below, staying there until the character gains another one.)

The Draconomicon source book provides the "Dragon Cohort" feat with acts as Leadership except that a Dragon's ECL is treated as 3 lower then it normally would be for the purpose of attacting it as a cohort.

The question then... does the Dragon Cohort feat still have the "1 level lower" restriction that Leadership mentions? If it doesn't, would that not mean that a high charisma character could get a cohort of higher level then he/she is?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-08, 04:13 PM
A. 389

Leadership refers to character level, which is equal to your HD, so I am afraid your assumption is wrong.

Leadership Modifiers: Several factors can affect a character’s Leadership score, causing it to vary from the base score (character level + Cha modifier).
(My emphasis)

You should of course feel free to make sensible houserules ;-)

A. 390

The Dragon Cohort feat refers to leadership, so I would suggest using those rules as the guideline.

Raool
2007-01-08, 05:27 PM
Q. 391
Are characters who cannot see an invisible creature allowed to try and hit it if there's one character who can see it and who's telling them where it is or if they make successful listen checks ? What would be the given scenario in this type of situation ?

Scorpina
2007-01-08, 05:27 PM
Q392: Can wizards have two or more spellbooks and mix and match spells from them when preparing spells for the day?

Winged One
2007-01-08, 05:36 PM
A 391
Yes. They must target the correct square, which can be determined with a Listen check or by being told where the target is. Even then, they have Total Concealment.
A 392
Yes.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-08, 09:45 PM
Q 393
From the Assassin's Death Attack ability:
"...and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage..."

If you throw a melee weapon (either with a -4 penalty or the Throw Anything feat), can you make a death attack, assuming you meet the other requirements?

Thomix
2007-01-08, 09:54 PM
Q 394

Can someone give me the exact description of the spell "Mighty Wallop" and "Greater Mighty Wallop" ? I don't find it anywhere.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-08, 09:59 PM
A393 No, because it becomes a thrown weapon after you throw it.

A394 No, since it is not OGL.

Awetugiw
2007-01-09, 04:42 AM
Q395. Is there anything to prevent the use of contigency as a 'quicken spell', simply by making the condition you speaking a certain word? It doesn't really seem like the spell is intended for this, but I can't see anything that prevents it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-09, 07:00 AM
A. 395

If that is the condition you set when you are casting the contingency then that is how it will work. :-)

AmberVael
2007-01-09, 09:03 AM
Q 396
The Psychofeedback (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychofeedback.htm) power would stack with itself if you used it more than once, since it is simply rearranging stat points rather than giving an enhancement bonus to them, correct?

Maxymiuk
2007-01-09, 09:05 AM
Q 397 Does a Small Longsword count as a Light weapon for a Medium creature?

Q 398 What's the weight reduction factor on saddles fitted for Medium mounts?

Douglas
2007-01-09, 09:21 AM
A 396
No. In cases when two or more similar or identical effects are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#sameEffectMorethanOncein DifferentStrengths)

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-09, 09:53 AM
A:397
Yes,but you would take a penalty on attacks due to the fact that its not properly sized for you

Winged One
2007-01-09, 10:22 AM
Q 399
How does the state of being Exalted change a character's aura of Good(seen by Detect Good)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-09, 10:48 AM
A. 398

The standard rules (for items) are that going up a size doubles weight and going down halves the weight.
The saddles on the list are for large creatures, so I would make the medium version weigh half of that.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-09, 10:54 AM
A. 399

Your Aura of Good is equal to that of a Cleric of a good deity.

Aoln the Wise
2007-01-09, 12:42 PM
Q400 Still wondering about attack of opportunity

Let's say a fictive fight in which it's your turn to act and you decide to attack an unique enemy who has no allies. Could you enter his threatened area (no AoO), and decide to turn around this enemy as long as you can move (without leaving his threatened area) without provoquing any AoO from this enemy ?

Amiria
2007-01-09, 12:46 PM
A400

No, you provoke an AoO (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#provokinganAttackofOpport unity) when you leave a square that this enemy threatens. It doesn't matter if you move to a aquare that he also threatens or not.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-09, 12:47 PM
A. 400

You provoke an AoO when you leave a threatened square. If your enemy threatens all squares around him you provoke an AoO for leaving any of them.

However, you only provoke one AoO for movement from each enemy, so you could walk around your enemy and only provoke one AoO, no matter how many threatened squares you leave.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-09, 01:04 PM
A 399

An exalted character (i.e. a character with one or more exalted feats) has an Aura of Good the same strength as a cleric or paladin of his or her Hit Dice. (Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 39)

Winged One
2007-01-09, 02:13 PM
Q 399b
Is it strengthened at all if the exalted character already has such an Aura of Good?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-09, 02:18 PM
A. 399 b

No, there is no such mechanic.

Charity
2007-01-10, 03:52 AM
Q 401 If I get a weapon enchanted say to +1, if I then want to add to that enchantment at a later date what is the cost?
ie if I wish to add flaming to my existing +1 sword
is it 2,000 more (I don't think so as this would bugger up their exponential progression) So is it the full 8,000 it would have cost for a new one, or is it a split the difference type of thing 6,000, or is it not even possible.
If it is possible, if I effectively add another +1 (making it a +2) is that delt with in the same fashion?

Ta Oh learned floaty eye, do you get paid for this?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-10, 05:49 AM
A. 401

You only pay the difference whether you add a special ability or further enhancement.

ampcptlogic
2007-01-10, 03:41 PM
Q402: Related to Mounted Combat and Ranged Weapons:

I know the RAW say that if the a character makes a ranged attack while his mount is moving, he suffers either a -4 or a -8 penalty to hit. Do the RAW make any mention of the penalties assessed if the mount is not moving?

Thanks for Fax for the Answer

Fax Celestis
2007-01-10, 04:28 PM
A402 There are no penalties if your mount is not moving.

Bobbis
2007-01-10, 06:51 PM
Q 403
Can moment of prescience apply to initiative as it is not a "any single attack roll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#attackRoll), opposed ability or skill check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#skillChecks), or saving throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#savingThrows). Alternatively, you can apply the insight bonus to your AC against a single attack (even if flat-footed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#flatFooted))."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-10, 06:55 PM
A 403

No. Moment of prescience cannot be used to improve your initiative rolls. It can only be used on the types of rolls outlined in the section you quoted.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-10, 06:58 PM
A. 403

Initiative is a dex-check, but not an opposed one.
Moment of Prescience can therefore not be used.

P.S.
Bobbis are you still up for the Battle of the Core Classes?

Bobbis
2007-01-10, 07:01 PM
A403PS

Oh, right, I forgot about that because of finals, sure, I'm still good for it.

Shisumo
2007-01-11, 01:15 PM
Q404

A druid uses wild shape to take on the form of a dire badger. While in dire badger form, the druid takes damage and flies into a rage, per the Rage special attack. Does the druid gain the benefit of the increased Constitution modifier to her hit points? The general rules governing the use of the alternate form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) special ability state that "the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution," but that seems counter to the idea that the creature using alternate form "gains... the extraordinary attacks of its new form." Anyone got a reference to clear this up, or do i need to houserule it to make it work "properly?"

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 01:17 PM
A404 The rage ability circumvents in this case, granting increased HP due to increased Constitution. The text in Alternate Form only means that changes in the form do not change HP.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 01:24 PM
A. 404

Fax is correct, here is the FAQ entry that deals with this question.

As per the errata for wild shape, despite an altered Constitution score the character’s hit points do not change accordingly. Does this mean that regardless of Constitution changes while wild shaped a character’s hit points are unaffected?

No. Any changes to a wild shaped character’s Constitution score that occur after the change (such as a timely bear’s endurance spell or a Constitution-damaging poison) would have the full normal effect (including altering hit points).

Matthew
2007-01-11, 01:25 PM
Q238 Clarification

Why is it that a Two Weapon Fighter cannot benefit from two Weapons of Speed again? Can somebody link me to the discussion? I long thought the clarification was in the FAQ, but I cannot seem to find it. The more I think about it the crazier it seems that Two Weapon Fighters shouldn't benefit from Two Speed Weapons... and the SRD text doesn't seem perfectly clear to me.

squishycube
2007-01-11, 01:38 PM
A238
I don't know about any discussion, but the text of the ability seems clear to me:
d20SRD - Speed Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed)
Speed

When making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)
Emphasis mine. The effect is not cumulative with similar effects. I'd say the speed enhancement itself is certainly a similar effect. I see how you could read the text differently though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 01:40 PM
A 238 Clarification

It is in the FAQ, but not the 3.5 version.
In 3.0 the description of Speed said that it could not be combined with Haste.
When the 3.5 version came out they tried to make it even clearer by saying:

... (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)

If using another Speed weapon is not a similar effect, especially in light of the 3.0 ruling on a much less clear RAW, I really do not know what would qualify except Haste.

The description for the speed weapon property says it is not cumulative with the haste spell, but exactly how this applies in the game seems unclear, especially when two weapons of speed are involved. Can you use two speed weapons at the same time? What, exactly, is meant when the rules say haste and speed don’t stack? Does it mean you can use the speed property during the normal portion of your turn, but not during the “extra” partial action you get from haste?

You can use two weapons of speed at a time all right, but you still only get one extra attack, from one weapon or the other, not both. If you are under the effects of a haste spell, you can use the extra attack action from one weapon of speed, or the extra partial action from the haste spell, but not both.

Matthew
2007-01-11, 01:46 PM

Ah, that's where it was lurking. The way I would read th SRD text (if I didn't know better) would be to say you cannot enchant a single weapon with multiple Speed Enhancements or derive an additional benefit from other Magically induced Speed effects. However, I usually think of Primary and Off Hand attacks as belonging to seperate 'attack chains', but I can see why it should be read the other way.

I would definitely be inclined to House Rule it so that Two Weapons of Speed = Two Extra attacks, though, otherwise it's just another limit on Two Weapon Fighting that makes Two Handed Fighting so much better.

Thanks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 02:15 PM
A 238 Comment

Disallowing 2x Speed is consistent, but I understand your point of view about TWF vs. TH.

Making a house rule like you suggest will not be unbalancing if used as you say, but beware of the quickdrawing Two-Handed weapons fighter with two weapons of Speed.

Such abuse of well-intended House Rules is of course highly dependent on the "creativity" of the players.

Matthew
2007-01-11, 04:18 PM
238 further comment

Heh, I was thinking about that in another context the other day, Iterative Attacks and Weapons of Speed. One Attack per Hand per Weapon, I think.

Winged One
2007-01-11, 05:42 PM
Q 405
How is a disarm attempt opposed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 05:47 PM
A. 405

Assuming that the attacker is not hit by the AoO (if any), the second step is to make opposed attack rolls.

Step 2: Opposed Rolls. You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a disarm attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll, and the wielder of a light weapon takes a –4 penalty. (An unarmed strike is considered a light weapon, so you always take a penalty when trying to disarm an opponent by using an unarmed strike.) If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the targeted item isn’t a melee weapon, the defender takes a –4 penalty on the roll.

Enlong
2007-01-11, 06:53 PM
Q 406: What is a good starting age for a gnome? (you know, like how a dwarf might be 50 as opposed to a human's 20. I can't find the age range for a gnome.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 06:58 PM
A. 406

Page 109 in the Player's Handbook.

Roland St. Jude
2007-01-11, 07:01 PM
A.406. Try page 109 of your Player's Handbook. (Table 6-4.)

Enlong
2007-01-11, 07:02 PM
Elaboration to 406

Erm... I'm incredibly embarassed to admit this, but... I don't have any sourcebooks. The ones that I have read have been borrowed from a friend of mine, and I don't have it with me. Could you explain to me what the age range is?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-11, 07:11 PM
406 Continued

More than a Half-Orc, but less than an elf.....

I am sorry, but these tables are not part of the Open Game License.

My existence is in itself an IPR violation, so I cannot also break the CoC and violate the rights of WotC by providing those statistics :-p

Enlong
2007-01-11, 07:12 PM
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't realize it was against the rules to post that information. I am very sorry.

(That was not sarcasm. Thanks for the info.)

Douglas
2007-01-11, 07:35 PM
A 406
That table is also in the SRD, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#age). Taking averages for the die rolls, a level 1 gnome should be about 54 if he is a barbarian, rogue, or sorcerer; 61 for a bard, paladin, fighter, or ranger; and 71 for a cleric, druid, monk, or wizard. There is, of course, a substantial range around each of these averages, and a higher level adventurer would probably be older. How much older is left entirely up to the DM and/or player.

I am sorry, but these tables are not part of the Open Game License.
Actually, they are, as my link above shows.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-11, 08:39 PM
A 406

No book? Then try the SRD section on starting ages. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/description.html#age)

Crateris
2007-01-11, 09:28 PM
Q407
If you are playing as a Swordsage but take one level in Warblade can you use the Warblade's maneuver recovery method during an encounter instead of the Swordsage's?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-11, 09:46 PM
A407 Only for your Warblade maneuvers.

Scorpina
2007-01-12, 01:48 AM
q408: Can my hypothetical Mystic Theurge take Practiced Spellcaster twice (once for Cleric, once for Wizard)?

Fax Celestis
2007-01-12, 01:51 AM
A408 No. You can only take feats that specify they can be taken multiple times more than once.

Jalil
2007-01-12, 01:56 AM
Q409 Does heavy fortification negate the rogue's 'crippling strike' ablility? I would say no, due to these lines:

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet and

An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks...There's no mention of the dice being required to hit, but, I'll leave it up to y'all to decide.

Douglas
2007-01-12, 01:57 AM
A 408 correction
Yes because the feat description specifically says you can.

A 409
the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification)

Note that the negation is not restricted to the damage. The sneak attack is negated in its entirety, along with any sneak attack dependent special abilities such as Crippling Strike.