View Full Version : OOTS #768 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-01-14, 07:45 PM
New comic is up.

Lateral
2011-01-14, 07:47 PM
Aww...

That is so heartwarming. :smallsmile:

I can see further heartwarming things happening in the future. (Either that, or a bunch of jokes. Probably both.) I wonder how Ian will take Elan?

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 07:48 PM
Hooray for family reunions. :smalltongue: Now, how to get out?

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 07:48 PM
Looks like I (and a whole lot of other people) were right about it not being a red herring.

edit: Nice new comic.

One Step Two
2011-01-14, 07:49 PM
Say it with me now:

d'awww

But really, Red herring? Cmon sometimes it's an obvious setup for a heart-warming moment. I know enjoyed it.

Also, awesome zinger from Roy.

homersolo
2011-01-14, 07:50 PM
The rewards of checking the page just one more time before leaving work for the day.

Very interesting as I had never considered how one would jail someone with magical abilities. So, getting in may have been the easy part. Getting out may be another matter.

Occasional Sage
2011-01-14, 07:50 PM
This made my day.

Lateral
2011-01-14, 07:51 PM
...Why? :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 07:51 PM
But really, Red herring? Cmon sometimes it's an obvious setup for a heart-warming moment. I know enjoyed it.

In another thread some people actually thought this was going to be a red herring. Weird huh?

Darth Hunterix
2011-01-14, 07:52 PM
I just can't wait to see Haley's reaction when she realises, that the potion has been switched off...

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-14, 07:52 PM
Huh, I was just in the middle of an archive trawl when this came up. :smallbiggrin:

"INTRUDERS!"
"Nope."
"FALSE ALARM!"

PirateMonk
2011-01-14, 07:53 PM
Aw...

The rewards of checking the page just one more time before leaving work for the day.

Very interesting as I had never considered how one would jail someone with magical abilities. So, getting in may have been the easy part. Getting out may be another matter.

It's not a new concept. Azure City had similar facilities.

seraine
Angry seperatist muskrats. :smalltongue:

mucat
I just can't wait to see Haley's reaction when she realises, that the potion has been switched off...

Haley knows the potion switched off; that's exactly what she and Elan were discussing when they entered the anti-magic zone.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-14, 07:54 PM
Yaaay! This comic made me smile.

squidbreath
2011-01-14, 07:54 PM
oh no! (for me anyway) If she manages to gets Roy and Belkar out as well, does this mean we'll skip out on the gladiator games entirely?

Betropper
2011-01-14, 07:55 PM
But if the potion didn't wear off, then why didn't the alarm go off? She says the magic is in her words but that means if she spoke she would set it off.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-14, 07:57 PM
d'aaaaaaaw

say it with me
d'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaartagnan.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-14, 07:57 PM
Hmm... somewhat anticlimatic. Running and big hug, but no yelling of DADDY! Guess though that she's not wanting to attract 'too' much undo attention, and ole Dad did say not to tell things to others so probably won't reveal their association.

Darth Hunterix
2011-01-14, 07:58 PM
Haley knows the potion switched off; that's exactly what she and Elan were discussing when they entered the anti-magic zone.

:haley:"Heck, unless this takes less than a half-hour, we should be able to fib our way back".
That made me think she doesn't know. But after re-reading the previous panel I guess I was wrong. Pity.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-14, 07:59 PM
:haley:"Heck, unless this takes less than a half-hour, we should be able to fib our way back".
That made me think she doesn't know. But after re-reading the previous panel I guess I was wrong. Pity.

Depends if the potion actually dispells the effect, or merely suppresses it.

Mordae
2011-01-14, 08:00 PM
She's a rogue, and a smart one. It's not like she's going to yell out "BEAR HUG SNEAK ATTACK!!!" or something silly like the folk in the thieves' guild.

mucat
But if the potion didn't wear off, then why didn't the alarm go off? She says the magic is in her words but that means if she spoke she would set it off.
The words she spoke were magical at the time, and they convinced the guards to believe her...but their belief is not magical in itself, and didn't fade. (This is what she meant by "it's not an enchantment.")

She just won't be able to tell any more supernaturally convincing lies until she leaves the antimagic field...at which point, if the potion's duration hasn't expired ("unless this takes more than a half hour") she'll get her magic voice back, and they can prevaricate their way to freedom.

Goldfly
Aaaw... Family reunions are always a good thing.

Psyren
Hooray for family reunions. :smalltongue: Now, how to get out?

AMF suppresses spells, it doesn't end them. Her Glibness is still active, she even mentions it while picking the lock.

SPoD
2011-01-14, 08:01 PM
Anti-magic suppresses the potion while she is inside the zone, it doesn't dispel it. Glibness lasts 10 minutes per level, with a minimum of 50 minutes for a potion. She can spend half an hour in the anti-magic field then leave, and the potion will still be effective for twenty minutes or so.

So yes, she knows that she doesn't have the Glibness effect, but it will resume the moment she steps outside the a-m zone.

Knight13
2011-01-14, 08:01 PM
Elan was worried that if the Anti-magic zone switched off her potion, the guards would stop believing her bluffs and sound the alarm. Haley explained that the magic of the potion is in her words, not their belief in her words. So entering the zone will not affect their belief.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-14, 08:04 PM
Aaaw... Family reunions are always a good thing.
Except for Elan, it seems.

MoonCat
2011-01-14, 08:06 PM
Crowning moment of heartwarming for me. How many years has it been since she saw him? And we got the fade out speech bubble! Thanks Giant!

Mercenary Pen
2011-01-14, 08:08 PM

Well, Elan's family counts as extenuating circumstances I suppose.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 08:09 PM

Anyone else hoping for a Star Wars prequel joke with this?

Lateral
It's not like she's going to yell out "BEAR HUG SNEAK ATTACK!!!" or something silly like the folk in the thieves' guild.

Yeah, I don't think she wants to do 7d6 (or 8d6, I'm not sure) sneak attack damage to her frail, malnourished old father. :smalltongue:

Goldfly

Except for Elan. *Nods*

mucat
2011-01-14, 08:10 PM
Anyone else hoping for a Star Wars prequel joke with this?

They never made (http://xkcd.com/566/) any Star Wars prequels.

NerfTW
2011-01-14, 08:10 PM
Hmm... somewhat anticlimatic. Running and big hug, but no yelling of DADDY! Guess though that she's not wanting to attract 'too' much undo attention, and ole Dad did say not to tell things to others so probably won't reveal their association.

Seriously? Because every time you see someone you've missed, you have to yell their name/relation to you?

Maybe sometimes, words aren't needed?:smallconfused:

mucat
2011-01-14, 08:11 PM
Seriously? Because every time you see someone you've missed, you have to yell their name/relation to you?

I usually include their date of birth and Social Security number too.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 08:12 PM

Yeah, remember the fan fics Lucas wrote.

Shatteredtower
2011-01-14, 08:12 PM
I am happy.

Blue Ghost
2011-01-14, 08:13 PM
"Father! Father!"
This was sweet. :smallredface:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 08:16 PM
What was up with that one prisoner's expression when Haley entered the cell? Is he just shocked to see a woman or was he surprised someone was asking about Ian?

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-14, 08:20 PM
What was up with that one prisoner's expression when Haley entered the cell? Is he just shocked to see a woman or was he surprised someone was asking about Ian?
It could be that he was surprised someone managed to actually break in, that someone would actually risk breaking in, or at the promise of freedom.

Crisis21
2011-01-14, 08:23 PM
Oh dear. Haley doesn't seem to realize that entering the AM field made the potion wear off.

Oops.:eek:

Assassin89
2011-01-14, 08:23 PM
I found the reunion between Haley and her father heartwarming. It also appears that Belkar is a pest that the party has gotten used to.

Acero
2011-01-14, 08:26 PM
Very nice. Really glad there was no slow motion in that strip. Cheesy can only go so far..

Conuly
2011-01-14, 08:30 PM
Oh dear. Haley doesn't seem to realize that entering the AM field made the potion wear off.

She does realize it. She was discussing it with Elan as she entered.

Nevitan
2011-01-14, 08:32 PM
I burst out laughing at the first panel and d'aww'd at the hug

KingFlameHawk
2011-01-14, 08:33 PM
So. . . anyone else think Ian is going to die on the way out of the prison?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 08:36 PM
Quick, someone hast to edit the TV tropes pages... this has to be the second biggest crowning moment of hear twarming in OotS life. (I say Roy's reunion with his brother still tops this one; but just barely).

This really made my day... since when do we know about Ian's imprisonment? It was in the Inn after Dungeon of Dorukan... or the inn after the YBD?

Deliverance
2011-01-14, 08:36 PM
I am not entirely certain that a high bluff skill works like that. :smalltongue:

Swordpriest
2011-01-14, 08:37 PM

My reaction was that he was just astounded that a woman in a low-cut blouse was coming through the door instead of prison guards. But that was just my impression and might well be wrong.

Mr. Snuggles
2011-01-14, 08:37 PM
The anti-magic field is just suppressing the glibness effect. When Haley leaves the area with rescued prisoners in tow, the effect will still be there. I mean, Haley plainly says this in panel 4! She can lie her way out because the potion is still in effect! Do people even read the comics? :smallconfused:

KingFlameHawk
2011-01-14, 08:41 PM
The anti-magic field is just suppressing the glibness effect. When Haley leaves the area with rescued prisoners in tow, the effect will still be there. I mean, Haley plainly says this in panel 4! She can lie her way out because the potion is still in effect! Do people even read the comics? :smallconfused:

There is the chance of meeting guards before she leaves the AM area and if they are able to slow them down enough it could take longer then 30 minutes to get out leaving them all quite screwed.

SandroTheMaster
2011-01-14, 08:45 PM
"INTRUDERS!"
"Nope"
"FALSE ALARM!"

Alright Giant. I forgive you for your munchkinny use of Glibness. That exchange made me laugh for at least ten minutes. And still makes me chuckle every now and again.

Capt Spanner
2011-01-14, 08:47 PM
I totally want to high-five (high-three?) Roy right now.

Also, I love Ian's reaction in the antepenultimate panel.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-14, 08:48 PM

I think Elan's drama sense would have seen this coming a mile away.

137beth
2011-01-14, 09:02 PM

Great one:smallsmile:

@above: but Elan DID suspect that they shouldn't go into the anti-magic field...

CelestialMagpie
2011-01-14, 09:06 PM

Unfortunately, I did - right after the big hug and happiness.

I can't tell though if it would be appropriately dramatic, or too cliche. It seems to me that Tarquin would care about such distinctions.

Asthix
2011-01-14, 09:08 PM
Hooray! .

AshDesert
2011-01-14, 09:12 PM
This made me warm on the inside.

Kareasint
2011-01-14, 09:20 PM
Roy is still getting in some classic one-liners. Hope the Deva does not give him too much flak when he gets back to Celestia.

What is Roy's next move going to be? Haley is about to give him a lot of bad news. They could get out but then they would be on the run. Not sure of Roy wants to take a chance on Tarquin's information now.

Draz74
2011-01-14, 09:24 PM

Or Eugene. :smallsigh:

MoonCat
2011-01-14, 09:34 PM
Angry separatist muskrats?!?! Haley's going to town and drunk with the power of her ludicrous lying skills. She stopped bothering being reasonable after wallaby. I love this!

Neopolis
2011-01-14, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised so many people are confused about the anti-magic field. I don't know jack about D&D and I still get it. Any lies told while under the effect of the potion continue to work while the potion is expired, suppressed, or otherwise not active anymore. The anti-magic field suppresses the potion's effect, meaning Haley's bluff is back to her (respectable) normal score. She can't tell any more lies, but the guards still believe whatever Haley told them, unless someone provides strong evidence to the contrary.

...That's what I gathered from it, anyway. Maybe I'm wrong, too.

Calmness
2011-01-14, 09:42 PM
Haley is going to catch some nasty skin diseases. When was the last time Ian Starshine took a shower?

I'm glad she found her daddy, though.

Swordpriest
2011-01-14, 09:52 PM
I'm surprised so many people are confused about the anti-magic field. I don't know jack about D&D and I still get it. Any lies told while under the effect of the potion continue to work while the potion is expired, suppressed, or otherwise not active anymore. The anti-magic field suppresses the potion's effect, meaning Haley's bluff is back to her (respectable) normal score. She can't tell any more lies, but the guards still believe whatever Haley told them, unless someone provides strong evidence to the contrary.

...That's what I gathered from it, anyway. Maybe I'm wrong, too.

From my knowledge of D&D (which is admittedly a bit rusty, since I've been playing a different game system for the past couple of years) I believe you're 100% correct.

Sylthia
2011-01-14, 10:15 PM
Great Comic! It looks as though Elan changed back into his regular boots off-panel. We better hope he doesn't roll any 4's.

The_Weirdo
2011-01-14, 10:23 PM
Or Eugene. :smallsigh:

Or Vaarsuvius. :smallsigh:

Defiant
2011-01-14, 10:33 PM
Haha, awesome - did anyone notice they she entered the "A-M Zone"?

And went to cell block G?

:smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2011-01-14, 10:39 PM
Haha, awesome - did anyone notice they she entered the "A-M Zone"?

And went to cell block G?

:smallbiggrin:

Are you implying they'll have to escape through the sewers, and end up trapped in a crushing wall room trap with an otyugh?

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-01-14, 10:49 PM
Nice little detail on Haley's lockpicking! It takes two tools to pick most locks: the pick and the torsion bar. I'm used to seeing people use jist the pick, and somehow turn the tumbler.

No, not a burgler nor locksmith. Had a friend who was a locksmith, and he taught me how to pick a padlock.

Kelvara
2011-01-14, 10:52 PM
Love this one, I hope something bad doesn't happen to end it.

MoonCat
2011-01-14, 10:52 PM
The panel that makes me go all wibbly-wobbly is the one where Haley is running to her dad with a smile I've never seen on her before. I've seen the shape, but the is so different. She looks like a little girl again. Although nobody's added it to TVTropes under Heartwarming yet. I'm guessing Tarquin's going to ruin it in one way or another, but I love this little shot of happiness

Tobimaro
2011-01-14, 11:11 PM
Nice to see that Belkar is not the only member of the Order to steal the scene with a witty one-liner. :smallsmile:

Love the reunion. Now for the great escape!

Half-Orc Rage
2011-01-14, 11:12 PM
Haley's got her dad back, that's awesome. I love how all these big plot points have been getting resolved recently. It's like with Wheel of Time where I'm finally get a pay off after following the story for years.

DBear
2011-01-14, 11:30 PM
Did Roy roll a 1 on his sense motive? How has he not figured out by now that Ian is Haley's dad? :smallconfused:

Deuce
2011-01-14, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=Neopolis;10163611]She can't tell any more lies, /QUOTE]

As you mentioned, her bluff is pretty good even without it. She can still tell lies, but since it seems that Elan's highly efficient father actually hires guards with good scores in Sense Motive, (and Spot and Listen I'm sure), she'll need a good roll.

cc_kizz
2011-01-15, 12:05 AM
This was so nice. :smallsmile: I'm happy for Haley. It seems a bit hard to tell, but it looks like Ian is happy too. He sounds more shocked than anything, though. I just hope his trailing off wasn't the start of sad news…

Cruiser1
2011-01-15, 12:06 AM
I guess the antimagic field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#antimagic) doesn't extend out to the practice yard, because then V's Sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) spell wouldn't have been able to contact Roy in strip 741 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html).

malloyd
2011-01-15, 12:31 AM
What is Roy's next move going to be? Haley is about to give him a lot of bad news. They could get out but then they would be on the run. Not sure of Roy wants to take a chance on Tarquin's information now.

Does Roy get to pick the next move? There are after all at least half a dozen people in this room that are not part of the OoTS and have no particular reason to take direction from any of its members, if some of them to make a break out the door and the intruder alert will be going back up pretty quickly.

zimmerwald1915
2011-01-15, 12:34 AM
Or Vaarsuvius. :smallsigh:
Family reunions are almost never heartwarming.

Lex-Kat
2011-01-15, 12:48 AM
Loved the comic.

The opening panel made me laugh. As did the last panel. Roy really got Belkar with that one. :smalltongue:

snikrept
2011-01-15, 01:01 AM

Well, the oracle only specified that Elan gets a happy ending, so that seems quite possible

Thanatosia
2011-01-15, 01:03 AM
The Feel Good Comic of the Year!

Baidas Kebante
2011-01-15, 01:07 AM
Well, the oracle only specified that Elan gets a happy ending, so that seems quite possible

But for drama rules to apply, Ian can only die after imparting some important information that not only furthers the plot but also helps the team move on to the next arc while aiding in tying up most loose ends developed by this plot. In addition, he needs to be killed while simultaneously giving Haley and Elan his blessing towards their relationship (bonus points if he disapproves first, double bonus points if he sacrifices himself for Elan).

GreenMuffin
2011-01-15, 02:10 AM
"INTRUDERS!"

"nope."

"FALSE ALARM!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2011-01-15, 02:56 AM

As was pointed out on the first page, Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicfield.htm) does not work that way.

I guess the antimagic field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#antimagic) doesn't extend out to the practice yard, because then V's Sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm) spell wouldn't have been able to contact Roy in strip 741 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html).

It barely extends past the cell door; it stands to reason that it can't extend to the practice yard either.

abbott.e
2011-01-15, 03:13 AM
Am I the only one concerned that Elan has been off-screen for 6 panels keeping watch? What's the betting he'll have gotten himself in a little situation in the meantime?

RMS Oceanic
2011-01-15, 04:34 AM
I like the pun of the comic name. :smallsmile:

This is a lovely comic. I just hope the theory that Ian will hate all children of Tarquin doesn't amount to anything.

factotum
2011-01-15, 04:45 AM
Did Roy roll a 1 on his sense motive? How has he not figured out by now that Ian is Haley's dad? :smallconfused:

Why on earth would it come up? Is Roy going to just randomly go through the roll call of his fellow adventurers with Ian? Is Ian going to say, "I realise this is a long shot, but since you're from the Eastern Continent, did you happen to run into my daughter Haley at any point?". Don't forget, also, that Roy doesn't know Haley's father was imprisoned on the Western Continent--Elan was the only member of the Order that Haley told that to, and that was only after they reunited after being separated for months.

Themrys
2011-01-15, 04:50 AM
In the last panel, is Belkar talking about Elan and then Roy hands the insult back to Belkar?
That would mean Roy does like Elan...although I am not so sure about the respect for Elan's opinions. :smallsmile:

grimbold
2011-01-15, 04:52 AM
yay the moment we have all been waitng for HALEY MEETS HER FATHER AGAIN YAY!
the next strip will be very interesting

factotum
2011-01-15, 05:02 AM
In the last panel, is Belkar talking about Elan and then Roy hands the insult back to Belkar?

No, he's talking about the fact Haley is hugging a guy who probably hasn't been able to bathe properly in some time and is thus probably crawling with parasites. Belkar *likes* Elan, why would he insult him like that?

Killer Angel
2011-01-15, 05:33 AM

...if only they were also mutant, we would also have a good reference to Paranoia! :smalltongue:

Capt Spanner
2011-01-15, 05:50 AM

Actually the Oracle said "Yes [there will be a happy ending], for you at least."

This means at least Elan gets a happy ending, but The Oracle won't vouch for anyone else to get one. The entire party getting a happy ending would still be true to The Oracle's word.

Haley is going to catch some nasty skin diseases. When was the last time Ian Starshine took a shower?

I'm glad she found her daddy, though.

So she'll just get Durkon to cure them. They're not magical skin diseases or anything.

Irbis
2011-01-15, 06:14 AM
Daddy doesn't seem too thrilled.

Who wants to bet he yells on her in the next strip? For, say, taking too long, or for coming at all (because he sat in this prison voluntarily for some purpose, maybe related to Haley's well-being)? :smallamused:

Themrys
2011-01-15, 07:07 AM
No, he's talking about the fact Haley is hugging a guy who probably hasn't been able to bathe properly in some time and is thus probably crawling with parasites. Belkar *likes* Elan, why would he insult him like that?

Are you being ironic?
Since when does Belkar like Elan?

And the "vicious little parasites don't bother her anymore" seems as if it refers to Elan.

@Irbis: Ian has his arms wrapped around Haley. He seems quite happy with the situation. He may complain later, when he finds out what stupid lies she told to the guards and into what trouble that might bring her...but for the moment, he is happy. I also don't think he liked the malnutrition that turned his hair white while he was still in his sixties...or even fourties.

I bet he'll be happy to have his little girl back and get out of prison. So, if he yells at her...only because she got herself in danger.

TheArsenal
2011-01-15, 07:17 AM
Did she close the door behind her?:smalleek:

dogfish44
2011-01-15, 07:28 AM
Wooo new comic.

And If you look, Haley said to Whistle if a guard comes past. Chances of whistling a bard song and giving it away?

factotum
2011-01-15, 07:28 AM
Are you being ironic?
Since when does Belkar like Elan?

Strip #38, where he and Elan were both enjoying themselves immensely taunting a weakened Roy?

Trace284
2011-01-15, 07:50 AM
Strip #38, where he and Elan were both enjoying themselves immensely taunting a weakened Roy?

Or http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html where they were making fun of his cleavage, :smallbiggrin:

HandofShadows
2011-01-15, 07:51 AM
A nice bit of heart warming. And good to know that Roy has not lost all his snark. :)

Mojique
2011-01-15, 08:37 AM
Panel 1 is so ... classic beauteousness!

I read on when I catched myself rolling on the floor.

faustin
2011-01-15, 08:42 AM
How much would it last the "heartwarming" after Ian meets Elan? :smallannoyed:

Deuce
2011-01-15, 08:50 AM
How much would it last the "heartwarming" after Ian meets Elan? :smallannoyed:

Actually I'm betting on a little fun when Ian sees Elan before Haley makes a proper introduction. He does look an awful lot like someone else Ian knows . . .

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-15, 09:13 AM
Or http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0102.html where they were making fun of his cleavage, :smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html

"Plus he makes me laugh."

Swordpriest
2011-01-15, 09:42 AM
And the "vicious little parasites don't bother her anymore" seems as if it refers to Elan.

I can't really see how, to tell the truth .... and I don't think even Belkar is detached enough from reality to consider Elan "vicious" ....

Rev_Rev
2011-01-15, 09:52 AM
Awwwww :smallbiggrin:

Crowning moment of heartwarming, anyone?

TheBlackShadow
2011-01-15, 09:57 AM
Heh.

And also aww.

Jay R
2011-01-15, 10:14 AM
That would mean Roy does like Elan...although I am not so sure about the respect for Elan's opinions. :smallsmile:

No, Belkar's talking about the variety of nutritious parasites (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html) that Ian cultivates for when his bread is stolen.

But of course Roy really respects Elan's opinions. Haley said so (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html) in an orange word balloon, so it must be true.

arpin
2011-01-15, 10:15 AM
Loved the comic.

Also, was this the first half-and-half speech bubble?

JSSheridan
2011-01-15, 10:20 AM
Thanks Giant!

Warren Dew
2011-01-15, 10:41 AM
Thanks. I think I've figured out what I like Elan now.

Belkar does seem like the kind of person who would insult people whether or not he liked them, though.

Burner28
2011-01-15, 11:08 AM
Grreat!!!:smile: I like this one... Also I kinda doubt Ian is going to die so quickly after being introduced to his daughter. That would not be right.

R.O.A.
2011-01-15, 12:17 PM
(psst...Mr. Burlew? Elan's shoes are the wrong colour. They should still be grey.)

Burner28
2011-01-15, 12:18 PM
I don't think Elan was actually using them anymore

Blaznak
2011-01-15, 12:18 PM
Awwww.... well, that was nifty!

The MunchKING
2011-01-15, 12:31 PM
It barely extends past the cell door; it stands to reason that it can't extend to the practice yard either.

More to the point, they might not WANT it to. If you're setting up prisoners to be killed by magical beasties the last thing you want is to cancel out all your beastie's advantages.

And from a showmanship persective, thats when you want any sorcerers you'vegot to show off their flashy powers against said beasts. Just as long as the beasts still win.

The MunchKING
2011-01-15, 12:34 PM

Belkar's talking about the fleas, ticks and Other nutricious paristites (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html) that "red" has on his body for just such an occasion as Belkar stealing his bread.

Lemur Bear
2011-01-15, 12:36 PM
Totally pumped that this finally happened. Good retort on Roy's account there. My one question is, how were they able to have a Sending on the other side of an anti-magic field?

Swordpriest
2011-01-15, 12:38 PM
Totally pumped that this finally happened. Good retort on Roy's account there. My one question is, how were they able to have a Sending on the other side of an anti-magic field?

I may be wrong, but I think they were in the police station "tank" at that point -- now I'll have to go look it up, you've piqued my curiosity. :smallbiggrin:

Themrys
2011-01-15, 12:39 PM
Belkar's talking about the fleas, ticks and Other nutricious paristites (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0744.html) that "red" has on his body for just such an occasion as Belkar stealing his bread.

English is not my mothertongue so I could have misunderstood that, but...doesn't "anymore" imply that Haley got used to parasites?
Roy implies that, too.

The MunchKING
2011-01-15, 12:40 PM

It probably doesn't go out that far. It's a hempeshere, IIRC.

The MunchKING
2011-01-15, 12:41 PM
English is not my mothertongue so I could have misunderstood that, but...doesn't "anymore" imply that Haley got used to parasites?
Roy implies that, too.

It implies they used to bother her and now they don't.

Burner28
2011-01-15, 12:45 PM
I wonder what people think of Ian? I seriously hope he doesn't die yet as he could be a pretty interesting character. Now when do you think at what point we will learn about the reason Ian is in the Western Continet, how he knows that well about Tarquin's plans, if Bozzok and Tarquin actually knows each other and if Haley will be able to escape with all the prisoners(after all, inless she really has a good reson, she should really leave them alone

mucat
2011-01-15, 12:46 PM
Loved the comic.

Also, was this the first half-and-half speech bubble?

Roy and Celia (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html) had a speech bubble like that when counting down the New Year.

Swordpriest
2011-01-15, 12:48 PM
The Sendings to Roy that I can find occurred in the initial jail after they were arrested (which isn't part of the arena, as far as we can tell) and on the practice grounds here --

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html

-- which would seem to indicate the practice grounds aren't in the anti-magic field.

KoboldRevenge
2011-01-15, 02:25 PM
Yeah but the cages are.

JoeSkull
2011-01-15, 02:29 PM
-- which would seem to indicate the practice grounds aren't in the anti-magic field.

well ya, you dont want your mage gladiators to have to fight with sticks, that would be boring.

faustin
2011-01-15, 02:51 PM
Actually, Elan, as a Dashing Swordsman, represent a treat to Ianīs life as to Julio Scoundrel, his former master.
Because Tarquin could kill him only to increase drama and motivate Elan (killing the heroīs girlfriendīs dad is a recurrent cliche)

rewinn
2011-01-15, 03:05 PM

"Childe Haley (http://classi****.about.com/library/bl-etexts/rbrowning/bl-rbrown-childe.htm)to the Dork Tower (http://www.dorktower.com/tag/carson/)came"

Kish
2011-01-15, 03:06 PM
Roy implies that, too.
Yes, Roy implies that the rest of the Order got used to Belkar, who is a vicious little parasite.

Why are you trying to parse a sarcastic barb aimed at Haley and Ian, and a sarcastic barb about Belkar with which Roy responded to the sarcastic barb aimed at Haley and Ian, into factual statements about Haley?

Morty
2011-01-15, 03:48 PM
Heheheh. "Vicious little parasite" does describe Belkar accurately.

Swordpriest
2011-01-15, 03:49 PM
well ya, you dont want your mage gladiators to have to fight with sticks, that would be boring.

True, but there was a question farther upthread about how Roy got a sending while in an anti-magic field. I investigated and discovered that he was on the practice field or in the general jail when contacting via sending. So, the current anti-magic area doesn't represent a goof vis-a-vis the sending.

Irbis
2011-01-15, 03:58 PM
Heheheh. "Vicious little parasite" does describe Belkar accurately.

Actually, I'd ask who it describes more accurately - obnoxious, greedy little thief or someone who earns his keep in battle and at least tries to keep appearance of following laws/customs :P

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-15, 04:59 PM
Actually, I'd ask who it describes more accurately - obnoxious, greedy little thief or someone who earns his keep in battle and at least tries to keep appearance of following laws/customs :P

And the only thief in existence with Barbarian levels! And no shoes:smallamused:

Morquard
2011-01-15, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately yeah

Belkar: Hey Haley, why do you hug that crazy old guy and not me your old pal Belkar?
*Belkar stabs Ian in the ribs with some random stick he has somewhere to make the point. He crits, Ian dies instantly due to his low con*

Bet you 10 gp that's how Belkar's prophecy gets fullfilled.

I don't think Tarquin will be responsible for Ian's death in any way. He said he wants to help the Order defeat Xykon even after the fight with Elan. Despite his evilness, I do believe him. And I think had Elan said "You have three prisoners in your prison that I want freed", he would have done it. So if he really intercepts them I think he'll let them go.

Felixc-91
2011-01-15, 05:16 PM
ok, this comic is now my officially my favorit comic from this entire story ark!
the look on haley's face is priceless.
@ibris: why? just why?

Warren Dew
2011-01-15, 05:48 PM

Pretty much yes. I'm puzzled by the same thing as you; Belkar's wording doesn't work that well for the parasites living on Ian, though it's a perfect straight line for Roy's comeback.

My first reaction was, "why does Belkar think Ian is a vicious parasite?"

Estelindis
2011-01-15, 06:05 PM
"Heartwarming" is a word that's been used often in this thread, and while I don't like to repeat... this comic really justifies it. Really, really touching. I'm so glad they managed to reunite. :smallsmile: And cute pun in the title too!

NerfTW
2011-01-15, 06:07 PM
Daddy doesn't seem too thrilled.

How does he not seem happy? He's smiling and hugging her.
Also, they're breaking into a prison. Yelling isn't a good idea.

It's not neccesary to have characters constantly stating their emotional state.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-15, 06:14 PM
And the only thief in existence with Barbarian levels! And no shoes:smallamused:

I think you misunderstood... Ian is a thief who feeds and preys off the work of others in society (technically so is Haley as well... and actually as a Bard, Elan earns most of his XP by standing around and letting others do the work under the pretense that his songs inspire them to do better in combat... though Roy usually is impaired by Elan's songs... in fact I think the most inspirational song Elan has been depicted singing was the one sung to Roy after his demise...)
Belkar on the other hand is a Ranger who earns his keep in battles and tries to pretend to be following laws/customs, who happens to have a level in Barbarian.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-15, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately yeah

Belkar: Hey Haley, why do you hug that crazy old guy and not me your old pal Belkar?
*Belkar stabs Ian in the ribs with some random stick he has somewhere to make the point. He crits, Ian dies instantly due to his low con*

I don't think Tarquin will be responsible for Ian's death in any way. He said he wants to help the Order defeat Xykon even after the fight with Elan. Despite his evilness, I do believe him. And I think had Elan said "You have three prisoners in your prison that I want freed", he would have done it. So if he really intercepts them I think he'll let them go.

Except Elan needs 4 prisoners freed (Roy, Belkar, Ian, and Geoff)

Sijo
2011-01-15, 06:54 PM
Not much to say other than I enjoyed the strip (much better than the last few ones.) It was funny, touching and we got to make fun of Belkar too. That's always a plus. :smallwink:.

Oh yeah, I don't expect Haley's dad to live beyond this part of the story either. Not unless the Giant has some unexpected use for him.

KingFlameHawk
2011-01-15, 06:55 PM
Unfortunately yeah

I don't think that Belkar will kill Ian. Remember he is pretending trying not to be evil anymore after his vision quest with Shojo. Just killing Ian would fit the old Belkar, but fake new Belkar is smarter then that now.

BarbarianNina
2011-01-15, 07:25 PM
Awww! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

... yeah, that about sums it up. About time something nice happened to somebody!

And Haley bluffing her way in. Heh.

Morquard
2011-01-15, 09:31 PM
Yeah, except neither Elan nor Haley would know that till they would actually get Ian released, would they?

I don't think that Belkar will kill Ian. Remember he is pretending trying not to be evil anymore after his vision quest with Shojo. Just killing Ian would fit the old Belkar, but fake new Belkar is smarter then that now.
Oh, I didn't say it was an intentional kill. He just pokes the guy, but a bit too hard, and he dies.
Of course Haley is stinking rich and has a high level cleric as friend, so I don't think Ian will stay dead for too long, but long enough for Belkar to meet his end.

Dinner Thief
2011-01-15, 10:01 PM
Great strip again, I can't wait to see how they are gunna get out though.

I love Roy's remark at the end.

faustin
2011-01-16, 05:56 AM

Thatīs a bunch of people who know about Tarquinīs masterplan to Rule Them All (at least in the eastern continent). I donīt think Malack or the rest of his party will be happy about it.

Themrys
2011-01-16, 06:17 AM
Thatīs a bunch of people who know about Tarquinīs masterplan to Rule Them All (at least in the eastern continent). I donīt think Malack or the rest of his party will be happy about it.

Does Tarquin know that they know about his plan, though?
They could have figured it out without him knowing.

MoonCat
2011-01-16, 04:13 PM
Does Haley's ponytail look smaller in this strip?

NerfTW
2011-01-16, 04:15 PM
It's debatable. We still don't know what would cause Ian to rush off to the Western continent like that, or how Tarquin captured him, or why he would ransom him for so much gold.

There's still a LOT of details we don't know about this situation.

Warren Dew
2011-01-16, 04:33 PM
It's debatable. We still don't know what would cause Ian to rush off to the Western continent like that, or how Tarquin captured him, or why he would ransom him for so much gold.

I kind of thought "why he would ransom him for so much gold" was pretty obvious. The others we don't have more than hints about, I agree.

Morquard
2011-01-16, 06:34 PM
Oh please, do you really think Ian and Geoff are the only two people who figured it out? All the other inhabitants of the western continent have a combined int+wis score of 4?

As long as the other rulers don't figure it out, or don't care to do something about it its all good.
They most likely are too busy with their own wars (after all kingdoms still get toppled every few years, that was not something that Tarquin started) to really care. A typical form of what's not allowed to be, can't be.

Lemonus
2011-01-16, 09:06 PM
Very good strip, funny and sweet.

LuPuWei
2011-01-17, 12:08 AM
This strip means a lot of things to a lot of characters in this sub-plot, but I'm sure it also means Roy and Haley are going to have a long awaited confrontation about trust and team spirit...

Felixc-91
2011-01-17, 12:53 AM
This strip means a lot of things to a lot of characters in this sub-plot, but I'm sure it also means Roy and Haley are going to have a long awaited confrontation about trust and team spirit...hmmmm, a strip involving massive text bubbles, not involving T. i would like that, as a bit of a break from the norm of the last few strips. i wonder, do the explanations happen before, during, or after they escape the prison?

ThePhantasm
2011-01-17, 07:09 AM
So my theory is

1) Haley's entrance by bluff (meaning there are no dead guards) will allow her and Elan to leave after talking to her father. Her father, however, will not leave with her at the moment for some reason (after all, we can't have a massive jailbreak now when the arena fight hasn't happened yet) so she will promise to save him at a later time.

OR

2) Haley and Elan will be discovered by Tarquin or others, meaning that Haley's father will now be thrown into the next arena match and Haley and Elan will be forced to watch (remember he'd been avoiding the matches thus far).

faustin
2011-01-17, 07:46 AM
Oh please, do you really think Ian and Geoff are the only two people who figured it out? All the other inhabitants of the western continent have a combined int+wis score of 4?

Ian and Geoff think otherwise in:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html

martinkou
2011-01-17, 10:06 AM
Elan didn't appear in the last panel.. that's VERY dangerous, I think.

e.g. he could have closed the cell door and locked it.

Swordpriest
2011-01-17, 11:19 AM
Elan didn't appear in the last panel.. that's VERY dangerous, I think.

e.g. he could have closed the cell door and locked it.

On the other hand, Haley picked the lock once, so she should be able to again. :smallsmile:

scienceguy8
2011-01-17, 04:26 PM
On the other hand, Haley picked the lock once, so she should be able to again. :smallsmile:

Who's stupid enough to put a lock on the inside of a prison door?

Bogsworth
2011-01-17, 04:36 PM
What's the possibility that the Haley and Ian pick-pocketed each other during that hug just then? You know, for old time's sake?:smalltongue:

Swordpriest
2011-01-17, 06:24 PM

Good point. Apparently, I am. :smallbiggrin:

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-17, 07:57 PM

A people wise, or at least genre savvy enough to know that they may eventually be betrayed and/or captured by invaders and locked in their own prison and need a way to free themselves. Like Tarquin.

Morquard
2011-01-17, 08:39 PM
Ian and Geoff think otherwise in:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html
in the fifth last panel Ian says "throws most people off their trail", so he figures that some aren't fooled. So not exactly sure what you wanted to say here, since that's exactly what my post was about.

Also: If Tarquin/Malack knew what Ian/Geoff know AND it was so super-secret that really noone else knew, then why are the two still alive in the first place? They have no problem killing prisoners, so the fact that they're still alive means that either a) T and M don't know what Ian and Geoff know or b) they don't care.
Either way that's no reason that he wouldn't free them if Elan told him so. Damn he told the story to Elan himself and he knows he's a hero.

MoonCat
2011-01-17, 08:39 PM
Or Lord Vetinari. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Morgan Wick
2011-01-17, 08:54 PM
Barely-thought-out outline of how the next strip or two could go:

:haley:: Daddy...
:roy:: Wait, did Haley just call him "Daddy"?
:belkar:: Elan's dad was locking up Haley's dad? Just what we needed, more contrived coincidences.
:elan:: Actually, in this case not so contrived. You see, Haley probably wouldn't be with us if it weren't for her dad being here.
:roy:: What do you mean?
:elan:: Yeah, Haley got this letter from a guy named Tyrinar telling her to get 200,000 gp to free her dad, so she ran off from the Thieves' Guild to collect money without it being siphoned off, and eventually she started adventuring and wound up with us. When we looked at a map back in Sandsedge we couldn't find the place because it'd changed names like everyplace else, but then my dad just told me this place used to BE Tyrinaria, and now we're here.
:roy:: And Haley, you never told us about any of this?
:haley:: Um... well... um...
:elan:: Nice to meet you, Mr. Starshine! I'm Elan, Haley's boyfriend. This is Roy, and this is -
:ian:: I've already met them, thanks. But Haley, did I hear one of them say your boyfriend is the son of that madman?
:elan:: Oh, it's okay, I'm not a meanie-meanhead like my dad.
:haley:: He was raised by his mom and only found out about his dad a couple days ago.
:elan:: The four of us are part of an adventuring group known as the Order of the Stick, and we're in the middle of a quest to save the world.
:haley:: We were looking for information about an important person when we wound up here, got captured, and found out about Elan being the general's son. Now we're here to get you out of here - I'd bring Roy and Belkar along, but Roy said not to spring him...
:roy:: Oh, change of plans. They have me lined up to fight in the arena, and that'd leave me with the choice of killing a possibly innocent person or dying myself.
:belkar:: Dangit, I was so looking forward to people cheering me for my wanton killing for once...
:elan:: You should know that my dad said he would still help us with Girard even though he's a bad guy, since he'd rather rule the world than Xykon.
:roy:: Do you think we can trust him, though?
:haley:: I know I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
:elan:: Well, I mean, he is a liar, a backstabber, a murderer, and probably kicks puppies in his free time, and I'd probably rather hang out with Xykon himself than him right now... but he said he wants to live for a few decades before getting killed by me. I don't think he wants to be obliterated by the Snarl sometime in the next month. I mean, he had a falling out with Nale, he's got to have something in common with us.
:roy:: An "enemy of my enemy" sort of thing, you mean?
:haley:: I bet he's already got an army out to seize the Gate, and that's why he wouldn't tell us anything about him until after the festival. Even if he sent us there, they'd probably attack us the moment our backs were turned.
:roy:: Maybe. We don't know what he knows about Girard, or why. They could be best buds, or they could really hate each other. He may know every single thing we could possibly need to defend Girard's Gate, or he may know next to nothing. What we do know is that it's doubtful he has anyone as high level as us, or any more knowledge of Xykon than us, and it's doubtful a bunch of nameless soldiers can stand up to a powerful lich. I mean, look what happened to Azure City. Did you have a plan to make sure the general didn't see your dad once you sprung him? Because whatever it was, let me come with him. Find out whatever you can about Girard then come get me, or both of us, whatever.
:belkar:: Hey, what about me?
:roy:: I'll leave it your decision whether to stay here or come with us, and if you stay, I'll leave it up to the others whether to break you out before leaving, if you're still alive.
Optional:
:haley:: I was just going to leave the 200,000 gp with him. And steal it back with interest later, of course.
:roy:: You have that much?
:haley:: Thieves' Guild's finest.
:roy:: Who apparently lied about her standing with that group. Fine, then tell the general that I'm with you. Don't tell him about Belkar, though it's okay if he figures it out himself, because he'll just make things worse.
(Yes, I know Roy probably already knows about the broad strokes of Haley and the Thieves' Guild from his ghost time.)

MoonCat
2011-01-17, 09:12 PM

<snip>

You are my god! :smalleek: And evidently got taught future psionics by Roy too! I bet this is just reaching the Giant's head right now!

Azuyomi244
2011-01-18, 12:05 PM
D'awwwww! :smallbiggrin:

Also I don't think the trailing off was in a sad way, like he was disappointed or something.

Ranylyn
2011-01-19, 11:00 AM
I still say my favorite part is Roy's shot at Belkar in the last panel.

Still a little concerned about the coplor of Haley's speech bubble returning to normal and acting like the potion is still in effect, though....

faustin
2011-01-19, 12:53 PM
Is the guy from 6th panel (the one who is sitting left to Ian), the warlock from the tavern?

Swordpriest
2011-01-19, 01:02 PM
D'awwwww! :smallbiggrin:

Also I don't think the trailing off was in a sad way, like he was disappointed or something.

Yes, he could also be overcome with emotion and barely able to speak. I've seen that a lot more often in reality than the stereotypical delighted shouting when people are reunited after a long absence.

NerfTW
2011-01-19, 02:10 PM
I really can't understand how anyone even came to the "he's mad" conclusion in the first place.

To quote Futurama:

You can't just have your characters say how they feel! That makes me angry!

Felixc-91
2011-01-20, 12:08 AM
Is the guy from 6th panel (the one who is sitting left to Ian), the warlock from the tavern? naw he got their the same day (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html)Roy did. and we saw that the warlock was not arrested (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0731.html)... although now that you point it out they are notably similar, perhaps he was arrested latter. oh well. (we can't be sure, until we see him fight in the arena that is)

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-20, 01:23 AM
Is the guy from 6th panel (the one who is sitting left to Ian), the warlock from the tavern?
No.

although now that you point it out they are notably similar, perhaps he was arrested latter. oh well. (we can't be sure, until we see him fight in the arena that is)
Yes we can. His hair's a different shape and his skin's a different colour.

Felixc-91
2011-01-20, 03:00 AM
Yes we can. His hair's a different shape and his skin's a different colour.really? then the difference is quite subtle because i don't see it. whatever, I'm not particularly attached to the idea, it just looked like it might the same guy.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-20, 03:28 AM
really? then the difference is quite subtle because i don't see it.
Colour comparisons between skin and hair (the Warlock is on the left, the gladiator on the right):

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/untitled.png

And if you compare the hairstyles side-by-side, they're a different shape - most notably on top, towards the front.

rewinn
2011-01-20, 06:31 PM

:haley:: Daddy...
:roy:: Wait, did Haley just call him "Daddy"?
:belkar:: Elan's dad was locking up Haley's dad? Just what we needed, more contrived coincidences.
:elan:: Actually, in this case not so contrived. You see, Haley probably wouldn't be with us if it weren't for her dad being here.
:roy:: What do you mean?
:elan:: Yeah, Haley got this letter from a guy named Tyrinar telling her to get 200,000 gp to free her dad, so she ran off from the Thieves' Guild to collect money without it being siphoned off, and eventually she started adventuring and wound up with us. When we looked at a map back in Sandsedge we couldn't find the place because it'd changed names like everyplace else, but then my dad just told me this place used to BE Tyrinaria, and now we're here.
:roy:: And Haley, you never told us about any of this?
:haley:: Um... well... um...
:elan:: Nice to meet you, Mr. Starshine! I'm Elan, Haley's boyfriend. This is Roy, and this is -
:ian:: I've already met them, thanks. But Haley, did I hear one of them say your boyfriend is the son of that madman?
:elan:: Oh, it's okay, I'm not a meanie-meanhead like my dad.
:haley:: He was raised by his mom and only found out about his dad a couple days ago.
:elan:: The four of us are part of an adventuring group known as the Order of the Stick, and we're in the middle of a quest to save the world.
:haley:: We were looking for information about an important person when we wound up here, got captured, and found out about Elan being the general's son. Now we're here to get you out of here - I'd bring Roy and Belkar along, but Roy said not to spring him...
:roy:: Oh, change of plans. They have me lined up to fight in the arena, and that'd leave me with the choice of killing a possibly innocent person or dying myself.
:belkar:: Dangit, I was so looking forward to people cheering me for my wanton killing for once...
:elan:: You should know that my dad said he would still help us with Girard even though he's a bad guy, since he'd rather rule the world than Xykon.
:roy:: Do you think we can trust him, though?
:haley:: I know I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
:elan:: Well, I mean, he is a liar, a backstabber, a murderer, and probably kicks puppies in his free time, and I'd probably rather hang out with Xykon himself than him right now... but he said he wants to live for a few decades before getting killed by me. I don't think he wants to be obliterated by the Snarl sometime in the next month. I mean, he had a falling out with Nale, he's got to have something in common with us.
:roy:: An "enemy of my enemy" sort of thing, you mean?
:haley:: I bet he's already got an army out to seize the Gate, and that's why he wouldn't tell us anything about him until after the festival. Even if he sent us there, they'd probably attack us the moment our backs were turned.
:roy:: Maybe. We don't know what he knows about Girard, or why. They could be best buds, or they could really hate each other. He may know every single thing we could possibly need to defend Girard's Gate, or he may know next to nothing. What we do know is that it's doubtful he has anyone as high level as us, or any more knowledge of Xykon than us, and it's doubtful a bunch of nameless soldiers can stand up to a powerful lich. I mean, look what happened to Azure City. Did you have a plan to make sure the general didn't see your dad once you sprung him? Because whatever it was, let me come with him. Find out whatever you can about Girard then come get me, or both of us, whatever.
:belkar:: Hey, what about me?
:roy:: I'll leave it your decision whether to stay here or come with us, and if you stay, I'll leave it up to the others whether to break you out before leaving, if you're still alive.
Optional:
:haley:: I was just going to leave the 200,000 gp with him. And steal it back with interest later, of course.
:roy:: You have that much?
:haley:: Thieves' Guild's finest.
:roy:: Who apparently lied about her standing with that group. Fine, then tell the general that I'm with you. Don't tell him about Belkar, though it's okay if he figures it out himself, because he'll just make things worse.
(Yes, I know Roy probably already knows about the broad strokes of Haley and the Thieves' Guild from his ghost time.)A fine analysis on the whole, but I cannot agree that Roy would conclude T is not of comparable level to the Order. To the contrary, Malack is obviously not far inferior to Durkon in levels. In addition, T is loaded with magic items that would be helpful to the quest and also very good at making plans that actually work.

faustin
2011-01-20, 06:44 PM
Sorry but I canīt agree. Elan dialogue sounds too intelligent to be credible.:smallconfused:

Lkctgo
2011-01-21, 01:17 AM
Anyone else notice the "Bread stolen guy and Bread protector" sleeping together at the corner?

LuPuWei
2011-01-21, 02:17 AM
Anyone else notice the "Bread stolen guy and Bread protector" sleeping together at the corner?

Don't prase it "sleeping together" just yet...these things take time :smallwink:

faustin
2011-01-21, 07:52 AM
The Gladiator Arena Chief will be angry. He said explicitly that the homosexual tones of the friendship WILL NOT be fully explored. :smallsigh:

Lkctgo
2011-01-21, 09:43 AM
The Gladiator Arena Chief will be angry. He said explicitly that the homosexual tones of the friendship WILL NOT be fully explored. :smallsigh:

Ah, but like LuPuWei said, they haven't done anything YET.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-21, 04:58 PM
So, did the checkered pattern + "___ ZONE" make anyone else think of Sonic the Hedgehog?

Burner28
2011-01-21, 05:05 PM
So, did the checkered pattern + "___ ZONE" make anyone else think of Sonic the Hedgehog?

Ah, yes.. Sonic the Hedgehog.. The free spirit:smallsmile:

Djibril
2011-01-21, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know if Elan knows how to whistle?:smallconfused:

harrypotterfan4
2011-01-21, 09:05 PM
Probably. Almost definitely. I'm 99% sure.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-21, 11:04 PM
Probably. Almost definitely. I'm 99% sure.

Even if he doesn't know how... he has an actual whistle.

MoonCat
2011-01-21, 11:12 PM

That was a KAZOO

Jay R
2011-01-21, 11:22 PM

That was a KAZOO

Different strip. Belkar gave him a whistle here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0334.html).

Felixc-91
2011-01-21, 11:23 PM
That was a KAZOOwhile that is very true, he has no actual whistle, have you ever heard some one blow as hard as they can into a kazoo? its plenty attention getting. any way its all moot because any bard who can't whistle (at least a little) would never have graduated from "bard camp".
edit. oh, never mind then.
edit again, that whistle would probably have been confiscated when he was thrown in prison.

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-22, 12:02 AM
edit again, that whistle would probably have been confiscated when he was thrown in prison.
Nale took all of Elan's items when they switched, and Elan got all of his items back after he defeated Nale, except for his lute which was left in the alley.

Felixc-91
2011-01-22, 12:28 AM
Nale took all of Elan's items when they switched, and Elan got all of his items back after he defeated Nale, except for his lute which was left in the alley.... he had time to search him? look, i suppose its possible, but we have no proof (unless its mentioned in the book), and reason to be sceptical (they were in a really big hurry (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0361.html)).

Gift Jeraff
2011-01-22, 02:20 AM
... he had time to search him? look, i suppose its possible, but we have no proof (unless its mentioned in the book), and reason to be sceptical (they were in a really big hurry (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0361.html)).
What do you mean search him? He took Elan's equipment and put it on himself. Whatever Elan had became Nale's. He reclaimed all of his equipment when he defeated Nale. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8484548#post8484548) How else do you suppose he got Banjo back? :smalltongue:

Djibril
2011-01-22, 05:16 AM
any bard who can't whistle (at least a little) would never have graduated from "bard camp".

Yeah but we already have a ranger who can't track and doesn't have a point in survival (although i have to admit it he's cool anyway:smallsmile:) hence a bard doesn't really have to know how to whistle... and given the level of "in"competence displayed by Elan so far, his inability to whistle could be a reasonable assumption...

My two cents are: Elan doesn't know how to whistle hence he cannot alert Haley of coming guards, they'll have to fight their way out of prison, and ultimately will be Girard who will save the day for the Order maybe teleporting them out via one of his lackeys

Swordpriest
2011-01-22, 09:54 AM
Yeah but we already have a ranger who can't track and doesn't have a point in survival (although i have to admit it he's cool anyway:smallsmile:) hence a bard doesn't really have to know how to whistle... and given the level of "in"competence displayed by Elan so far, his inability to whistle could be a reasonable assumption...

My two cents are: Elan doesn't know how to whistle hence he cannot alert Haley of coming guards, they'll have to fight their way out of prison, and ultimately will be Girard who will save the day for the Order maybe teleporting them out via one of his lackeys

An interesting theory -- however, couldn't Elan warn them with his kazoo? :smallwink:

Djibril
2011-01-22, 11:08 AM
Sure he could and it would be a barrel of laugh :smallsmile:

Lol Kazoo Of Escape +5

JoeSkull
2011-01-22, 12:23 PM

Belkar went to Ranger School?? I didnt realize they had those.

Elan went to Bard School and it is reasonable to assume that he had to learn how to whistle along with several other instruments.

Kish
2011-01-22, 02:54 PM
Elan went to bard camp, which he strongly implies is much easier than Roy's fighter college.

Belkar seems to have gone to nothing.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-22, 05:04 PM
Elan went to bard camp, which he strongly implies is much easier than Roy's fighter college.

Belkar seems to have gone to nothing.

But Elan knows how to use the whistle he has... he used it shortly after Belkar gave him it. So even if we take into account the possibility that Elan (who we have seen whistling before) somehow forgot how to whistle... we still know he can blow the whistle he has... and as we know, Elan keeps everything he ever received *cough*girdleofmasculinity/femininity*cough*.

Djibril
2011-01-22, 06:06 PM

Yeah and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html) we can see the results of Roy's Fighter college years.... :smallbiggrin: ...i'm not mindlessly keeping my point the only thing i'm saying is not to take anything for granted, could be both knowing whom we're talking about :smallsmile:

Anyhow using a whistle or a kazoo in a situation like this (in wich the whole point is to be stealthy) is like screaming i got a 4! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0766.html)

Which, again, is a barrel of laugh:smallsmile:

Edit:

(who we have seen whistling before)

Uh...sorry i missed that...when was it?

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-23, 01:19 AM
*glances in*

I think a double-length comic is due :smallwink:

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-23, 05:55 AM
Yeah and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html) we can see the results of Roy's Fighter college years.... :smallbiggrin: ...i'm not mindlessly keeping my point the only thing i'm saying is not to take anything for granted, could be both knowing whom we're talking about :smallsmile:

Anyhow using a whistle or a kazoo in a situation like this (in wich the whole point is to be stealthy) is like screaming i got a 4! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0766.html)

Which, again, is a barrel of laugh:smallsmile:

Edit:

Uh...sorry i missed that...when was it?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0389.html

Took me a bit to find it, but there he is... whistling, panels 3 and 7

And for those who care... the only 3 others we have seen Whistling up until that point were Roy, Belkar, and Sabine in disguise

Swordpriest
2011-01-23, 10:11 AM

And for those who care... the only 3 others we have seen Whistling up until that point were Roy, Belkar, and Sabine in disguise

Excellent catch -- so he does know how to whistle, and that particular debate can be laid to rest anyway! :smallsmile:

Djibril
2011-01-23, 10:16 AM

Problem solved, thanks Sherlock :smallsmile:

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-23, 02:22 PM
Also Lord Shojo, in a War & XPs bonus strip.

cc_kizz
2011-01-25, 02:12 PM

Different strip. Belkar gave him a whistle here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0334.html).

But Elan knows how to use the whistle he has... he used it shortly after Belkar gave him it. So even if we take into account the possibility that Elan (who we have seen whistling before) somehow forgot how to whistle... we still know he can blow the whistle he has... and as we know, Elan keeps everything he ever received *cough*girdleofmasculinity/femininity*cough*.

Have we considered that perhaps the whistle belonged to Belkar and he was only loaning its use?