PDA

View Full Version : Haruki's Hot 'n Holy Random Banter #153

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Teddy
2011-01-21, 06:54 AM
This is the avatar that usually weirds people out as far as what I'm wearing goes.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/wolfshonor/llamas/confident.gif

Well, that's slightly bleach-worthy. Slightly. I've got a good will save against disturbing mental images.

The llama does have 4 stick legs to fit the Order of the Stick theme. When in RP he has regular legs, just as all RP characters have regular limbs.

Well, I figured that, but as I said, I can't shake the feeling of them still being peg-legs. :smalltongue:

Well, Australia is a country that is perhaps closest to the sun :smalltongue:

*looks out of the window*
What's this "sun" thing you're talking about? :smallannoyed:

Hazyshade
2011-01-21, 09:31 AM
Well, here's also hoping that fibre-optics doesn't become obsolete in a few years.

I like to use the analogy between transporting data and transporting people: you could argue that tarmac roads technically became obsolete technology when airplanes came into widespread use, but they're still used and still built, because they have their own particular uses. I can't believe that either satellite or 4G connectivity will be such a game-changer that our existing fibre networks won't continue to be used alongside them.

Disclosure: I work for a telecoms company with a huge fibre network - but they take a keen interest in emerging technology too

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 09:46 AM
Never click an unexplained link. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367)

I clicked. Oh, well. Interesting experiment.

IRN: How do you beat the "I can never learn this in time so there's no point in trying" revision panic?

Give yourself a 10 minute break, get something to eat and/or drink, then just get to it. Even if you don't learn all of it,it's better to show up knowing something than knowing nothing.

I call it Scraping, cuz you're scraping for points. Everyone does it sometimes. <.<

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 12:20 PM
Youtube uploads are really, really annoying. And slow. And annoyingly slow.

Does that mean we might get the opportunity to hear Thufir sing? :smallbiggrin:

The last one is related to Pratchett:
Universities are places to store knowledge. Students come to university knowing everything. When they graduate, they realise that they know almost nothing. Clearly that knowledge must have gone somewhere; thus it is stored in the university, probably in the walls.

I like the idea that the ones who know anything end up being lured into the library and devoured by the books. For the Greater Koorly, of course. <_< >_>

IRN: How do you beat the "I can never learn this in time so there's no point in trying" revision panic?

I generally take a break to take a short walk and then come back with a fresher head. If that doesn't work, breathing exercises and forced reading, clawing for every page with the utmost of concentration and willpower and brute forced serenity until I can keep going without forcing myself. After a bit of that I can start taking notes.

Never click an unexplained link. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10626367)

You should, however, click on this link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk&feature=related)

Thufir
2011-01-21, 01:37 PM
Does that mean we might get the opportunity to hear Thufir sing? :smallbiggrin:

I dunno. I'd be more open to the idea of showing off the videos if I'd been able to get an accompanist/person to read in the other characters' dialogue.
As it is...

I like the idea that the ones who know anything end up being lured into the library and devoured by the books. For the Greater Koorly, of course. <_< >_>

That does also happen on Discworld. Magical books can be rather aggressive.

Ohmyani
2011-01-21, 02:26 PM
So, I'm getting a Hauppauge DVR soon to make 360 gamelay videos with very soon. Very excited, it's every gamer nerd's dream to put stuff upon youtube :smallbiggrin:

Would anyone be interested in taking a look once I start putting some up?

SMEE
2011-01-21, 02:29 PM
To life, to life I brought him... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJAoaCHdTJY)

I am really in love with this song. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2011-01-21, 02:37 PM
Well, looks like I'm doomed not to get these last two auditions online in time. First it gets to 80% and stops so I have to restart and try again, then it tells me it's going to take 595 minutes... (Edit: While I was posting this, it went up to 676 minutes)

ION: For my dinner, I am having not so much cheese on toast as toast underneath cheeses.

Edit the second: On the other hand, I tried cancelling it again and switching to the other remaining video, and it says it'll only take about 2 hours!
Maybe youtube just doesn't like Ko-Ko?

tonberrian
2011-01-21, 03:49 PM
So, allergies.

Apparently, I'm allergic to soap. More precisely, something in the new soap that we just switched to, since I have used soap to wash before. Nothing life-threatening, just enough to make me miserable. Luckily, I got coal-shaped soap in my Christmas stocking.

Apparently, I'm allergic to that as well. :smallmad:

This now makes a trifecta of stupid allergies I have, with the fumes that come off house-paint and a certain detergent for clothing.

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 03:58 PM
So, allergies.

Apparently, I'm allergic to soap. More precisely, something in the new soap that we just switched to, since I have used soap to wash before. Nothing life-threatening, just enough to make me miserable. Luckily, I got coal-shaped soap in my Christmas stocking.

Apparently, I'm allergic to that as well. :smallmad:

This now makes a trifecta of stupid allergies I have, with the fumes that come off house-paint and a certain detergent for clothing.

Sounds like you're allergic to either moisturizer (if it's moisturizing soap) or the perfuming agents they use for fragrance. Or possibly the dye.

My mother is allergic to the perfuming agents present in most laundry detergents, so we have to buy the unscented varieties. So at least it's just a certain detergent rather than almost all of them.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-21, 04:00 PM
Woohoo! I lied. I'm not a 3.4something, I'm a 3.6something.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-21, 08:20 PM
I think I got through my first two exams okay. Bio was pretty easy, I got done in 2/3 the time allotted. And I still had a chance on each question, because it was a multiple choice.

Pre-Calc was more difficult. I didn't finish the last two questions, and I probably got a B+ or a B overall. But I did the math, and even if I got a C I would still have a B in the class for the semester. I can't get up to an A-, though. So no straight A's for Mattos :frown:

If I did get an A- on the bio exam I could still get bumped up to an A- :smallsmile:

It'll be pretty hard to get up to an A- in english, though. I'd need a 97.425%

So I'll probably still get an A or A- average for the semester (my current A+ in french will probably help that, even if I get a B+ on the exam I'll still have a 100)

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-21, 10:35 PM
spongebob? in my gurren lagann?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Cusashorn/Squidward.png

absolmorph
2011-01-21, 10:35 PM
The fact that only one of my friends has slapped me is at once both amazing and sad.
Just a few months ago, I made a mildly inappropriate comment to another friend and offered to let her slap me and she looked at me like I'm crazy. Why don't people want to slap someone who offers the opportunity? I was actually grinning and laughing as I made the offer.
For Pete's sake, I even joke about the time I was hit by a hatchet by another friend, enjoy talking about the time a third friend elbowed me in the face and all around just find the concept of others hitting me amusing.
Including the time my brother hit me with an uppercut to the gonads. That is actually a funny story, though :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 11:34 PM
Is it possible to eat something that only makes you hungrier? I just ate like two bowls of ramen with eggs and my stomach is screaming at me t oeat something. What the heck?

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 11:35 PM
Is it possible to eat something that only makes you hungrier? I just ate like two bowls of ramen with eggs and my stomach is screaming at me t oeat something. What the heck?

Well, liquid bread makes me hungrier, and I believe that's the concept behind an appetizer when it's done proper-like.

So, yes. Here though it's possible your body is in need of some nutrients or essential vitamins/minerals that aren't found in such... nutritionally devoid food.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 11:38 PM
Well, liquid bread makes me hungrier, and I believe that's the concept behind an appetizer when it's done proper-like.

So, yes. Here though it's possible your body is in need of some nutrients or essential vitamins/minerals that aren't found in such... nutritionally devoid food.

Nutritional devoid is why I always add three whole eggs into the soup. Clearly it's not enough. >.<

Now I gotta find food, great...

Coidzor
2011-01-21, 11:49 PM
Nutritional devoid is why I always add three whole eggs into the soup. Clearly it's not enough. >.<

Now I gotta find food, great...

Not in terms of vitamins and minerals, certainly eggs have some, but they're mostly fat and protein. I've never really found ramen all that filling unless I made it so that it was enough peanut butter involved to threaten to cross the line between quick and dirty peanut satay and noodles embedded in a spiced peanut butter matrix.

Though, now that I think of it, I could go for some peanut butter ramen about now. With plenty of chili, garlic, and onion powder...mmm....

Haruki-kun
2011-01-21, 11:55 PM
Peanut Butter... Ramen? Well, I do have peanut butter.... but with Ramen? :smallconfused:

I guess I'll just have some of that peanut butter alone now...

Coidzor
2011-01-22, 12:08 AM
Peanut Butter... Ramen? Well, I do have peanut butter.... but with Ramen? :smallconfused:

Yes. It's quite good. You've never heard of Thai (http://vegetarian.about.com/od/saucesdipsspreads/r/ThaiPeanutSauce.htm) or just regular Peanut Sauce (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Peanut_sauce) before? :smalltongue:

Admittedly, you're one of those people who makes it into a soup rather than eating them as noodles with some broth, and peanut soup is one of those things where it requirs a lot of peanut butter to not be a let down due to the nature of scent-based expectations of peanut flavor versus the watering down aspect of it being a soup.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-22, 12:10 AM
Yes. It's quite good. You've never heard of Thai (http://vegetarian.about.com/od/saucesdipsspreads/r/ThaiPeanutSauce.htm) or just regular Peanut Sauce (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Peanut_sauce) before? :smalltongue:

Yes, but I didn't know it was equivalent to peanut butter. I assumed it was something more complicated than that. And peanut butter has lotsa sugar.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 12:53 AM
So, I'm getting a Hauppauge DVR soon to make 360 gamelay videos with very soon. Very excited, it's every gamer nerd's dream to put stuff upon youtube :smallbiggrin:

Would anyone be interested in taking a look once I start putting some up?

I would be, the gameplay video with commentaries addicted geek inside me is struggling with the nintendo fanboy inside me.

One question, is it a Let's PLay with commentaries or just general gameplay videos?

Admittedly, you're one of those people who makes it into a soup rather than eating them as noodles with some broth, and peanut soup is one of those things where it requirs a lot of peanut butter to not be a let down due to the nature of scent-based expectations of peanut flavor versus the watering down aspect of it being a soup.

I also make them into soup, I then add some chicken.
And I don't have access to peanut butter, I normally have it brought to me by relatives who travel to the U.S.A., Reese Buttercups are the best replacement I can get locally.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-22, 01:01 AM
Beck is a genius. Like, who else would come up with something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7foC40SP4)?

...:smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 01:24 AM
Beck is a genius. Like, who else would come up with something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_7foC40SP4)?

...:smalltongue:

I love the music, the singing, not so much...
I guess instrumental jazz and touhou remixes have left me spoiled.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-22, 01:40 AM
Mostly the fact that it's an (extremely) white indie singer rather infamous for not being a particularly good singer doing what amounts to a 70's slow jam. I have no doubt he magically bound Prince in a pentacle in his basement. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-01-22, 08:56 AM
broadband update:
Just had a download peak at 617kbps. It was only for a second or two, but it was definitely above 600kbps there.
Still took nine and a half minutes to download a 23 minute video.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-22, 09:00 AM

HECK YES. This is why you get endless breadsticks at Olive Garden.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-22, 09:01 AM
Here the Internet peaks at 280 and keeps a steady 200 at all times.
I found that fast except for Bittorrent which is insanely slow, everything else seems fast, but that may be my perception that is hindered by the fact that I've never known faster speeds.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-22, 10:28 AM
I had a weird dream last night...

So I was infiltrating a clan of vampires for the Paladin Academy. Luckily I didn't have to drink any blood while I was there. Instead, there was the biannual Drinking of the Water ceremony. Apparently, vampires only drink blood, so the DotW was a test of bravery (water tastes foul to them). Then I was suddenly teleported away, into a truck driving down a road. We missed the turn we were supposed to get off of, and instead drove into a dark and twisted realm. We fought a couple demon-things, and then we had to get past this big robotic dinosaur. When we did, we were teleported back in front of it, and the road now went in a parabola. We got past it again, and then suddenly there was this chicken-lizard-thing that shapeshifted into the form of [friend] who was also there. Then the chicken-lizard-thing spun me around, and I couldn't tell who was the real [friend]. So I asked them both "In SSBB, what is Sheik's final smash?" And [friend] instantly said the Light Arrow, and the chicken-lizard-thing-shapeshifted-into-[friend] was :smallconfused: I threw him out the door. Then I was back at the vampire's stronghold, and then the dream ended.

Weird.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-22, 10:32 AM

You're reminding me of Paradise Lost. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-23, 12:01 AM
Hey, check it out! A Trolololo cat! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqafYTKBpss)

wadledo
2011-01-23, 12:20 AM
HECK YES. This is why you get endless breadsticks at Olive Garden.

Ew, olive garden.:smallyuk:

Archonic Energy
2011-01-23, 05:32 AM
there are reasons people like me shouldn't be left in the house alone...

1 46" HDTV
1 5.1 surround system
1 PC with HDMI out
1 Comfortable Leather chair
1 X52 Pro Joystick
1 hour prep time
1 Pizza hut Delivery
makes one Happy Archon!

yes i'm typing this on a Widescreen HDTV! :smallcool:
now to start up New Vegas!

absolmorph
2011-01-23, 05:37 AM
there are reasons people like me shouldn't be left in the house alone...

1 46" HDTV
1 5.1 surround system
1 PC with HDMI out
1 Comfortable Leather chair
1 X52 Pro Joystick
1 hour prep time
1 Pizza hut Delivery
makes one Happy Archon!

yes i'm typing this on a Widescreen HDTV! :smallcool:
now to start up New Vegas!
That's awesome.
I should see if I can hook up my computer to my TV.
Going dual-screen with a TV and regular monitor would be awesome.

Heliomance
2011-01-23, 07:28 AM
So, dreams. 10/10 for imagination, brain, but minus quite a lot for comprehensibility.

Also for the fact that I can't remember anything except that they were hilariously awesome these past two nights.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 08:47 AM
Ew, olive garden.:smallyuk:

Wait. wat .-.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 10:21 AM
So, dreams. 10/10 for imagination, brain, but minus quite a lot for comprehensibility.

Also for the fact that I can't remember anything except that they were hilariously awesome these past two nights.

last night i had a dream where i could go back and forward through time by swimming against and with the current of a river. yeah.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-23, 11:07 AM
last night i had a dream where i could go back and forward through time by swimming against and with the current of a river. yeah.

I'm pretty sure that my dream (posted farther up the page) beats that.

But that is still an awesome dream. What if you swam downward?

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that my dream (posted farther up the page) beats that.

But that is still an awesome dream. What if you swam downward?

against the current= backwards in time
with the curren= forwards in time

i remember i was trying to rewrite my life and i kept over shooting it by a hundred years

wadledo
2011-01-23, 11:30 AM
Wait. wat .-.

I stand by what I said, and the silly expression that I made.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 01:21 PM
I stand by what I said, and the silly expression that I made.

B-But, why... :/

wadledo
2011-01-23, 01:27 PM
B-But, why... :/

Because the Olive Garden does not have good food.
They're like the McDonald's of Italian.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-23, 01:40 PM
After playing Aqua and Ventus in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Terra seems... really slow and wimpy. I can't beat the spindle boss. :smallannoyed: How do I kill it?

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 02:12 PM
so i finally finished TTGL.

manly tears are being shed

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 02:26 PM
I hate exams. I hate exams with a burning passion. I am doing absolutely NOTHING today, except study French. Gaaaah! And after that, I'm doing NOTHING all week, except study Math, and memorize my lines for the Play, and prepare a presentation in Theatre class, and more and more work. At least I have a super-long weekend after this week to look forward too.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 02:28 PM

You can drive through Olive Garden? Since when. It's a sit down restraunt. I've had to wait to get in before. You don't go up to a counter and order, you sit down and have a menu.

Fazoli's is the McDonalds of Italian.

Perenelle
2011-01-23, 02:35 PM

I agree, their food is gross. :smallyuk:
The little family run places no one has heard of always have the best food.
well, maybe not all the time. But still.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 02:38 PM
I agree, their food is gross. :smallyuk:
The little family run places no one has heard of always have the best food.
well, maybe not all the time. But still.

I agree, but Olive Garden is better then most-any chain I can think of. Their's this placed called Figlio's a block or two away from my house. It's the best...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 02:44 PM
Obviously these are all American things, cause we have none north of the 49. We do have delicious small restaurants. Like, mmm, Terroni. Ooooh, or there's this one small shop, called Vinny Massimo's, and I went there when it was just Massimo behind the counter of the one shop, and now they have at least 3 locations. Very exciting. And quite good, for it's price, pizza. And decent pasta too!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 02:46 PM
Obviously these are all American things, cause we have none north of the 49. We do have delicious small restaurants. Like, mmm, Terroni. Ooooh, or there's this one small shop, called Vinny Massimo's, and I went there when it was just Massimo behind the counter of the one shop, and now they have at least 3 locations. Very exciting. And quite good, for it's price, pizza. And decent pasta too!

Well, we did switch to conversation of Locally Owned places and not chain? Im also pretty sure Canada has McDonalds... :P

wadledo
2011-01-23, 02:47 PM
I agree, but Olive Garden is better then most-any chain I can think of. Their's this placed called Figlio's a block or two away from my house. It's the best...

Nonononononono.
Olive Garden is different from most chains. You are right that you can't drive through it. But that does not make it better, or even decent.
It's still an absolutely horrible chain restaurant that can't even do pasta (the thing they focus on as doing well) adequately.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 02:47 PM
Well, we did switch to conversation of Locally Owned places and not chain? Im also pretty sure Canada has McDonalds... :P

Yeah we do. We got all of the international chains, but not all, and almost none of the medium-sized chains. No IHOP, for example.

wadledo
2011-01-23, 02:48 PM
Yeah we do. We got all of the international chains, but not all, and almost none of the medium-sized chains. No IHOP, for example.

IHOP is awesome.
A couple of my friends and I are going to see if we can get a 'game that never ends' going at an IHOP near Boston.

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 02:49 PM

Ahh Fazoli's. Been awhile since I've seen one of them. Despite them being based in my old home town.

Of course, now I want some good Italian. :/

IHOP is awesome.
A couple of my friends and I are going to see if we can get a 'game that never ends' going at an IHOP near Boston.

IHOP is indeed rawsome. But what is this game that never ends of which you speak?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 02:50 PM
Of course, now I want some good Italian. :/

No such thing as bad Italian. Just... Inadequate.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 02:51 PM
I went to an IHOPS. I was disappointed by the syrup.
I'm always disappointed by the syrup.
When you're raised on maple syrup from the farm in Quebec, you get disappointed by maple syrup easily.

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 02:52 PM
No such thing as bad Italian. Just... Inadequate.

You've lived quite the fortunate life to have managed to avoid having had bad Italian, then.

Hell, I've made bad Italian when I overdid the acidity and lemon in the seafood sauce.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 02:53 PM
I went to an IHOPS. I was disappointed by the syrup.
I'm always disappointed by the syrup.
When you're raised on maple syrup from the farm in Quebec, you get disappointed by maple syrup easily.

... I don't like Syrup. Like, at all. A little is OK, but... Pancakes are so good already. Unless you have really bad pancakes, you don't need it.

You've lived quite the fortunate life to have managed to avoid having had bad Italian, then.

That, or I have bad standards.

absolmorph
2011-01-23, 02:54 PM
so i finally finished TTGL.

manly tears are being shed
Now watch Childhood's End and The Lights In The Sky Are Stars.
The hacking sequence alone will make you manlier.
Yes, hacking sequence in TTGL.
Oh, and the last fight in TLITSAS made hair grow on my chest. Not much, sadly, so it looks pathetic, but it still grew entirely because of that scene.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 02:57 PM
... I don't like Syrup. Like, at all. A little is OK, but... Pancakes are so good already. Unless you have really bad pancakes, you don't need it.

Ooooooh, or Apple Syrup. I have a bottle of apple syrup, and it is delicious.

And I consider my pancakes as carriers for maple syrup. Perhaps with some fruit too. Depends on how I'm feeling. My mum makes some damn good buckwheat pancakes, so I do sometimes have them dry.

American Waffles, on the other hand, are PURELY and SOLELY meant to be carrier's of maple deliciousness.

Speaking of maple, anyone ever had tire d'erable before? I'm not sure what it is in English, but it's delicious!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 03:00 PM
Ooooooh, or Apple Syrup. I have a bottle of apple syrup, and it is delicious.

And I consider my pancakes as carriers for maple syrup. Perhaps with some fruit too. Depends on how I'm feeling. My mum makes some damn good buckwheat pancakes, so I do sometimes have them dry.

American Waffles, on the other hand, are PURELY and SOLELY meant to be carrier's of maple deliciousness.

Speaking of maple, anyone ever had tire d'erable before? I'm not sure what it is in English, but it's delicious!

Yuck, Ego Waffles. :smallyuk:

Wiki calls it Maple Taffy. I like Maple Candy fine, but I don't get the difference.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-23, 03:04 PM

I can't eat pancakes alone. At the very least they need some butter. Real honey is best.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 03:07 PM
I can't eat pancakes alone. At the very least they need some butter. Real honey is best.

I don't even need butter. Mainly because I have a texture problem and secondly I guess my Mom makes good pancakes.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 03:07 PM

or better yet, mollasses. omnomnom

LordOMud
2011-01-23, 03:09 PM

To me, They just taste like bread when they don't have syrup

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 03:10 PM
Taffy and soft candy are different. Taffy is generally more stretchy whereas soft candy is more dissolve in one's mouth.

:smallconfused: Eggo waffles are not the end-all, be-all of American waffles. In fact, Eggos weren't mentioned at all.

There's no point to eating pancakes on their own. They're a vehicle for other things, even more so if you're having crepes, the european pancake.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 03:10 PM

Wiki calls it Maple Taffy. I like Maple Candy fine, but I don't get the difference.

I mean American Waffles as opposed to Liege or Brussels Waffles.

And it's not maple candy, it's... Ok, so you boil some maple syrup. Then you pour the maple syrup, still quite hot, over the freshest snow. NOTE ICE!, snow. Ice isn't as fun. Anyways, you let it cool. It'll be hardened just enough to pick up, but still flexible and delicious. Don't let it harden too much, or you get maple Popsicle! It's amazing.

Maple candy isn't something you can easily make at home in a couple of minutes. Tire d'erable is!

MoonCat
2011-01-23, 03:12 PM
Could someone explain what Random Banter is for? I checked the OP, and it only sates the rules. Or did I miss something? (This isn't a request for a recap mods, spare my life :smallbiggrin:)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 03:15 PM
Could someone explain what Random Banter is for? I checked the OP, and it only sates the rules. Or did I miss something? (This isn't a request for a recap mods, spare my life :smallbiggrin:)

Just to chat.

KuReshtin
2011-01-23, 03:18 PM

It'f for the random banter that usually breaks out when other threads derail and go off topic.
Random Banter is a non-topic thread where you can talk about anything and everything (as long as they're allowed by the Board Rules).

That's the short version.

'In Random Banter, there is no off topic.' is the even shorter version.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-23, 03:21 PM

There's a Fazoli's right by my house. I don't think their lasagna is that bad, but I don't like their spaghetti.

When we went up to Canada, we ate at a McDonalds (we were only in Canada for like 4 hours, we were actually on a trip in Michigan) and my sister kept the toy as a souvenir :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 03:23 PM
^: Did they have Poutine at the McDonalds?

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 03:25 PM
If they do, don't get it.
There's nothing better than REAL poutine. Hell, sometimes I drive out to the cheese factory to buy fresh cheese curds, several pounds, so I can have some to snack on, and some to make amazing poutine with!

Ooooor, just go to one of the many poutine restaurants, and get something strange, like poutine with pulled pork on it. Or poutine with mushrooms. All of which are delicious.

Mmmmm, heart attack in a bowl...

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 03:26 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin.

You know, some people on here don't go to TV Tropes.

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 03:28 PM

The statement, while slightly British, is sufficient without linking. Since you insist, however. Here it is. Exactly what it says on the tin. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin)

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-23, 03:40 PM
Yet another instance in which something I think is common parlance throughout the English-speaking world is slightly British. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 03:51 PM
Yet another instance in which something I think is common parlance throughout the English-speaking world is slightly British. :smalltongue:

Ok, so referring to something as a "tin" is fairly or probably even very British, but it's not unheard of in other English-speaking countries. Just far more limited in scope of what the term is applied to.

Teddy
2011-01-23, 04:21 PM
There's no point to eating pancakes on their own. They're a vehicle for other things, even more so if you're having crepes, the european pancake.

I must point out that crepes are specifically French pancakes and not necessarily representative for the rest of Europe (even though the French every now and then seem to think that they are perfectly representative for the rest of Europe (I will not elaborate further)).

Swedish pancakes (pannkakor) come in two forms: thick and thin. The former is usually made in an oven and served with lingonberry jam, while the latter is usually made in a pancake pan and is usually eaten with sweeter jams (sometimes together with whipped cream or ice-cream, or sometimes with sugar instead of jam), but they may usually be eaten without anything on them as well, as they are very tasty in themselves.

My favourite jams are blueberry and cloudberry jam tied on the first place, with strawberry jam on a close third place.

ION:
I'm in an unexplainably bad mood. I have no idea why and no reason to be so (hence why I have no idea), but I've been so since middle afternoon. Perhaps I should just go to bed...

KuReshtin
2011-01-23, 04:27 PM
And a few (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvjUR1rOHl8) examples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDNDLx_ask) of the Trope namer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjLlF7_Tdfc)

Haruki-kun
2011-01-23, 04:53 PM
To me, They just taste like bread when they don't have syrup

Yes. A thousand times this.

ION:
I'm in an unexplainably bad mood. I have no idea why and no reason to be so (hence why I have no idea), but I've been so since middle afternoon. Perhaps I should just go to bed...

I'm feeling sorta blah right now for no reason, too. Maybe I don't have a reason to feel like that, but it's a side effect of a tough morning.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 05:03 PM
waffles are far superior to pancakes

Heliomance
2011-01-23, 05:23 PM
English pancakes > all. With lemon and sugar, the one true pancake filling.

Though maple syrup runs a fairly close second.

Coidzor
2011-01-23, 06:45 PM

Less of a filling and more of a topping, really, what with the granular nature of sugar.

Never really got much of an answer of the difference between english pancakes and crepes. Hence why I just use the french term for them, just feels more suitably continental and easily identifiable since there's no equivalent recognizable term for the american variant.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-23, 07:02 PM
Less of a filling and more of a topping, really, what with the granular nature of sugar.

Never really got much of an answer of the difference between english pancakes and crepes. Hence why I just use the french term for them, just feels more suitably continental and easily identifiable since there's no equivalent recognizable term for the american variant.

Aren't Pancakes the American thick radially small Variant, English Pancakes the English Thin yet Radially impressive Variant and Crepes the French thin and radially challenged variant?

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 07:41 PM
Aren't Pancakes the American thick radially small Variant, English Pancakes the English Thin yet Radially impressive Variant and Crepes the French thin and radially challenged variant?

i don't know about american and english, but avocado's pancakes are thick and huge. and shaped like modern art

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 07:45 PM
avocado's p----es are thick and huge. and shaped like modern art

I see through your cunning disguise with eyes of badgerfox! :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 07:55 PM
I dont know why, but I just remembered this comedian who was saying he was in a McDonalds in the UK and he picked a fight with some guy because he was hitting on his girlfriend on accident. Anyway, they were going to kick the American out, and he was like, "You can't kick me out of McDonalds, this is like the American Embassy!"

That made me laugh so much...

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-23, 07:56 PM
I see through your cunning disguise with eyes of badgerfox! :smallbiggrin:

i once had one that ended up looking like ohio, so i did the most reasonable thing when confronted with such a situation.

i gave it cat ears

EDIT, waitaminute.... i see what you did thar

Thufir
2011-01-23, 08:06 PM

That phrase really makes perfect sense completely independently of the fact it's the name of a trope.

This is true. Also raisins, sultanas or currants, to undercut the sweetness.

This I disagree with. I've never much liked syrup on pancakes.

It's a filling because after putting it on the pancake you roll it up before eating.

Never really got much of an answer of the difference between english pancakes and crepes.

Pretty sure there isn't one.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 08:11 PM
That phrase really makes perfect sense completely independently of the fact it's the name of a trope.

ORLY? Empty Space!! :P

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 08:40 PM
I am SOOOO not ready for this french exam tomorrow.
And it's going to be -21 celsius tomorrow. Way to make a sucky day suckier, weather.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 08:55 PM
And it's going to be -21 celsius tomorrow. Way to make a sucky day suckier, weather.

Hehehe, Celcius. Also, their are IHOPs in Canada. So the I is their for a reason. :smallsigh:

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-23, 09:06 PM

I'm perfectly ready for my french exam. My english is the one I'm worried about.

In class essay... :smalleek::smallfrown:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 09:08 PM
In class essay... :smalleek::smallfrown:

Yeah, have fun with that. I did OK on mine and it was actually the vocab that ******* ** ****. Make sure you devote enough time to everything.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-23, 09:14 PM
Yeah, have fun with that. I did OK on mine and it was actually the vocab that ******* ** ****. Make sure you devote enough time to everything.

Also, forget complexity and go for clarity, I've failed a number of essays because they resembled more Ultraist Literature than an essay.

Partof1
2011-01-23, 09:20 PM
I'm happy, as far as exams go, as I only have chem left. And I rocked my social in-class essay.

Then, on to a probably much easier semester!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 09:24 PM
Also, forget complexity and go for clarity, I've failed a number of essays because they resembled more Ultraist Literature than an essay.
Trust me, thats what they want

Rawhide
2011-01-23, 09:41 PM
So, I accidentally bought LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for the Wii. It's actually quite good and although it wasn't purchased for me to play personally, I've found it keeping me entertained and wanting to play more...

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 09:43 PM
So, I accidentally bought LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures for the Wii. It's actually quite good and although it wasn't purchased for me to play personally, I've found it keeping me entertained and wanting to play more...

How do you accidently buy a game?

Haruki-kun
2011-01-23, 09:53 PM

My brother has the LEGO Star Wars. It was fun, actually. Though most of what I did was control R2 and make him jump into a chasm and die.

R2 screaming is funny. :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 09:56 PM
My brother has the LEGO Star Wars. It was fun, actually. Though most of what I did was control R2 and make him jump into a chasm and die.

R2 screaming is funny. :smalltongue:

Yeah... Im thinking I should get LEGO Batman for the XBOX 360. Should I?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I'm fine with in-class essays now, Ever since I got a 100 on an essay that i didn't finish, and ended up cutting half of the essay out, I decided that the more I can cut out of an essay and still make my point, the better.

And I've decided I got this French in the bag. I'm totally confident in my writing skills, I've always been good at that, and the reading comprehension I got about 80-85% on the practice test I have in front of me, so yeah!

And if we do have IHOP's, I've never seen one, not in Southern Ontario, nor in my drive across Saskatchewan, Alberta, all the way to the far side of Vancouver Island in BC. So there.

And a friend just dared me to walk to school in -21*C weather. And I will smegging take his bet on. Only fair, I once bet him $4 to chug a quite reasonable amount of vodka, he gotta bet me $4 to walk to school in toe-freezing weather. Muahahahah!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with in-class essays now, Ever since I got a 100 on an essay that i didn't finish, and ended up cutting half of the essay out, I decided that the more I can cut out of an essay and still make my point, the better.

Yeah. A kid in my english class quit taking his exam when he still had 30 minutes of work left, and he still did better then me. Efinate proof I needed to study vocab more.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 10:03 PM
English is my best subject. I'm reasonably certain I'm gonna get a 100 mark on the report card this semester. That, along with my pretty sure it's gonna be around 96 Theatre mark should be enough to get my average into the 90s!

Wait a minute, if I get a 90 in IDC too, (that's a course geared around study, and essay-writing, cause IB, you have to write this Extended Essay thing), which is quite probable, then my only other courses are French and Math, and considering I'm looking at probably low to mid 80's in French and mid to high 80's in Math...
Yay, 90's average!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 10:04 PM
English is my best subject. I'm reasonably certain I'm gonna get a 100 mark on the report card this semester. That, along with my pretty sure it's gonna be around 96 Theatre mark should be enough to get my average into the 90s!

Wait a minute, if I get a 90 in IDC too, (that's a course geared around study, and essay-writing, cause IB, you have to write this Extended Essay thing), which is quite probable, then my only other courses are French and Math, and considering I'm looking at probably low to mid 80's in French and mid to high 80's in Math...

Yay, 90's average!

We have the same average. (I think) And you have a 100 in a class. My highest grade this semest was like a 95. How is that possible. :smallconfused:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-23, 10:08 PM
We have the same average. (I think) And you have a 100 in a class. My highest grade this semest was like a 95. How is that possible. :smallconfused:

Depends what your lowest mark is. My mid-term grade had, like, a high 70 in french. I did NOT do so well on the test for that grade. I WILL do better this time, though!

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-23, 10:10 PM

I think I'll do pretty good on the vocab (it's fill in the blank). I'm just horrible at writing essays (as my bio teacher will tell you, I'm also no good at lab reports).

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-23, 10:16 PM
Depends what your lowest mark is. My mid-term grade had, like, a high 70 in french. I did NOT do so well on the test for that grade. I WILL do better this time, though!

That would do it. My mid-term grades ranged from 92-90.

I think I'll do pretty good on the vocab (it's fill in the blank). I'm just horrible at writing essays (as my bio teacher will tell you, I'm also no good at lab reports).

Mine was fill in the blank too. We just had 50 different options and a bunch of the words were synonyms.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between saying:

"X is subjective." and "What you consider X is subjective." I mean, it's a tiny difference right?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-23, 10:37 PM
That would do it. My mid-term grades ranged from 92-90.

Mine was fill in the blank too. We just had 50 different options and a bunch of the words were synonyms.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between saying:

"X is subjective." and "What you consider X is subjective." I mean, it's a tiny difference right?

On the difference: Not necessarily.
While ethics is not subjective if someone mistook morality for ethics and you knew about this insistent mistake you would say "What you consider X is subjective".

absolmorph
2011-01-23, 10:41 PM
So, I went to my youth group.
We talked about celebrities and our youth director asked what celebrity we'd be if we could choose one to be for a day.
I chose Robert Downey, Jr.
When our youth director asked us questions about what we'd do, how we'd act, how we'd influence people around us, etc., as the celebrity, my only response was "I would be Iron Man."
To every question.
Because, Gog dammit, I would be Iron Man, and that's enough for me.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-24, 02:11 AM
How do you accidently buy a game?

Somnambulent Capitalism. All the cool kids are doing it.

Heliomance
2011-01-24, 05:06 AM

Crepes are softer and slightly thicker. English pancakes are very thin and ideally slightly crispy around the edges.

KuReshtin
2011-01-24, 05:17 AM
The way I was taught in school, the difference was that Pancakes are think, big pancakes that you eat with something sweet as a topping (like Teddy said, jams, preserves or sugar, sometimes whipped cream or ice cream), whereas crepes were the same pancakes, but then filled with something more filling, like creamy mushrooms, and then put in the oven with a bit of cheese on top enough to get the cheese to melt.

So:
'pancakes' = pancakes with sweet topping
'crepes' = pancakes with savory filling

Eldpollard
2011-01-24, 07:38 AM
I've never been a big fan of pancakes. I've always thought they were crepe.
That's a lie for the sake of a terrible pun. Pancakes are rad. Lemon and sugar is the best.

Archonic Energy
2011-01-24, 07:45 AM
I've never been a big fan of pancakes. I've always thought they were crepe.

:smallannoyed:
don't make me come over there and batter you.

Eldpollard
2011-01-24, 07:50 AM
:smallannoyed:
don't make me come over there and batter you.

Heh. I think pancake puns are eggscellent. Although you might be milking it. If you stop I'll give you a flour.

Archonic Energy
2011-01-24, 07:52 AM
Heh. I think pancake puns are eggscellent. Although you might be milking it. If you stop I'll give you a flour.

*tips cap*
bravo.

KuReshtin
2011-01-24, 07:57 AM

Oh, the puns! They burn! Like a hot frying pan to the face.

Heliomance
2011-01-24, 08:16 AM
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-24, 08:23 AM
^Now that's a flash in the pan.

Eldpollard
2011-01-24, 08:29 AM
I'm surprised you liked my puns. I'd have thought they'd have been panned.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-24, 08:36 AM
RB is going out of the frying pan, into the fire. The thread simply sizzles with puns. It's a recipe for disaster.

Heliomance
2011-01-24, 08:38 AM
Ah, the punstorm'll blow over sooner or later. All snark and no bite, if you get my drift.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-24, 08:41 AM
The wordplay might be too greasy to wrestle, I fear, unless some kind force saves our bacon.

KuReshtin
2011-01-24, 09:04 AM
The wordplay might be too greasy to wrestle, I fear, unless some kind force saves our bacon.

And pigs might fly out of my .... well, you know.
Fat chance of that happening.

Coidzor
2011-01-24, 09:08 AM
There can be only one reply to this.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/metfan2110/xkcd/bacon.png

For you have made me hungry. For crepes and bacon. Which is one combination of things that I just shall not have due to my inability to make crepes at the moment. :smallfrown:

MoonCat
2011-01-24, 09:10 AM
Thanks to everyone who answered, I was asleep and got a nice few answers this morn. I do read TVtropes, but I didn't know it was Exactly What it Says On The Tin. Will everyone wish me luck? I'm going to a new school today (woke up early, couldn't sleep, got on forum :smallwink:) and need a lot of help to get through the day.

Eldpollard
2011-01-24, 11:12 AM
Thanks to everyone who answered, I was asleep and got a nice few answers this morn. I do read TVtropes, but I didn't know it was Exactly What it Says On The Tin. Will everyone wish me luck? I'm going to a new school today (woke up early, couldn't sleep, got on forum :smallwink:) and need a lot of help to get through the day.

Good luck! Although I'm sure you'll be fine.

Coidzor
2011-01-24, 11:15 AM
Aye, hope it goes/went well.

ION: I just made a buckwheat flour crepe with sugar free, seedless blackberry preserves. It tasted ok at first but now I'm regretting not looking more carefully for jam. The aftertaste of medicine is just numbing my tongue. :smallyuk:

Teddy
2011-01-24, 11:28 AM
ION: I just made a buckwheat flour crepe with sugar free, seedless blackberry preserves. It tasted ok at first but now I'm regretting not looking more carefully for jam. The aftertaste of medicine is just numbing my tongue. :smallyuk:

I hope this is "sugar free" as in "no added sugar" and not as in "we sucked every molecule of sugar out of this for the sake of your health conscience". Although, that would explain the aftertaste... :smalltongue:

Miklus
2011-01-24, 11:31 AM
Some day at work! My boss almost dropped dead. It looked like an epileptic seizure to me, although he has no history of such. Pretty scary stuff. He could sort of sit up before he was taken to the hospital.

So, how was your workday???

Just a little follow-up on this. Boss came to work today (monday). Apparently, he has cancer in the brain! I guess that was no excuse to miss work. He's a tough nugget, I'll give him that.

He is getting an operation next week. Will he take a sick day then?

KuReshtin
2011-01-24, 11:51 AM
Just a little follow-up on this. Boss came to work today (monday). Apparently, he has cancer in the brain! I guess that was no excuse to miss work. He's a tough nugget, I'll give him that.

My guess is that he'll take more than one.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-24, 11:57 AM

Is it cancer, a tumor or an aneurism? The three get mixed up a lot.
In any case, he is insane, probably from the excess of cells on his head, going to work with a brain cancer diagnosis is ridiculous, any type of collision may be dangerous, also, stress won't help him if not outright kill him in some cases.

He will take a lot of sick days, if he is married don't expect his presence for at least a month.

Coidzor
2011-01-24, 12:21 PM
I hope this is "sugar free" as in "no added sugar" and not as in "we sucked every molecule of sugar out of this for the sake of your health conscience". Although, that would explain the aftertaste... :smalltongue:

Yeah, the no-added sugar interpretation. So with my next one, since I couldn't find the powdered sugar behind all of the stuff in the baking cabinet shoved in there by my diabetic father (Why, no, that's not ominous and depressing at all!), I just went with granulated sugar and lemon juice. And added some whiskey into the batter for my own amusement.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-24, 02:58 PM
On the difference: Not necessarily.
While ethics is not subjective if someone mistook morality for ethics and you knew about this insistent mistake you would say "What you consider X is subjective".

OK, say good is X.

Thufir
2011-01-24, 06:06 PM
Today has been a pretty good day. Having yesterday set up a means of transferring recordings from video to digibox in decent quality, today I used it, and now I have a potentially more usefully formatted copy of The Ink Thief.

Furthermore, at rehearsal for Yeomen of the Guard, I have been upgraded from chorus member to Second Yeoman. Small part, but it's better than nothing.

absolmorph
2011-01-24, 08:38 PM
"You make my battle station fully operational. (http://audacitygravity.tumblr.com/post/2916210581)"
Warning: contains a very awkward statement which may make watching Star Wars weird for you.
(Yes, I'm the one in red. Yes, that's my name. Yes, I did, in fact, say both the sentence forming the link and the contained statement.)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-24, 09:12 PM
"You make my battle station fully operational. (http://audacitygravity.tumblr.com/post/2916210581)"
Warning: contains a very awkward statement which may make watching Star Wars weird for you.
(Yes, I'm the one in red. Yes, that's my name. Yes, I did, in fact, say both the sentence forming the link and the contained statement.)

What the heck was that.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-24, 09:14 PM
What the heck was that.

I would have to say... that was a Star Wars/Captain Hammer reference. I think. I'm not completely sure.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-24, 09:23 PM

that implies it has a wierd shape.

i'm more of a galaxy gun:smalltongue:

absolmorph
2011-01-24, 09:36 PM
I would have to say... that was a Star Wars/Captain Hammer reference. I think. I'm not completely sure.
Yep. Pretty much.
And the most absurd pick up line I know.

Coidzor
2011-01-24, 09:49 PM
You might enjoy this strip slay (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10106830&postcount=174) if you enjoyed that line.

Just something that came to mind.

Amiel
2011-01-24, 10:59 PM
And pigs might fly out of my .... well, you know.
Fat chance of that happening.

Someone should get their hands on a cannon, and lo, adynaton shall become reality :smallbiggrin:

ION, apparently a mandated textbook costs within the vicinity of $240 :/

absolmorph
2011-01-25, 01:05 AM
Someone should get their hands on a cannon, and lo, adynaton shall become reality :smallbiggrin:

ION, apparently a mandated textbook costs within the vicinity of $240 :/
Yeah, textbooks are really expensive.

ION: HOLY MUFFINS HOW AM I ONLY NOW SEEING SOMETHING CONCRETE ABOUT THIS. (http://marvel.com/movies/movie/125/captain_america_the_first_avenger)
SO.
BOOPING.
EXCITED.

Teddy
2011-01-25, 03:51 AM
ION: HOLY MUFFINS HOW AM I ONLY NOW SEEING SOMETHING CONCRETE ABOUT THIS. (http://marvel.com/movies/movie/125/captain_america_the_first_avenger)
SO.
BOOPING.
EXCITED.

Is it wrong of me that the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "Holy cow, they can make thin metal shields that deflect bullets!? They should so make a tank out of this!". :smallwink:

absolmorph
2011-01-25, 05:49 AM
Is it wrong of me that the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was "Holy cow, they can make thin metal shields that deflect bullets!? They should so make a tank out of this!". :smallwink:
The alloy was accidental and attempts to recreate failed.
The writers thought of people like you :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2011-01-25, 06:19 AM
SO.
BOOPING.
EXCITED.

I agree. how can you not have heard about this before?

Of course, getting facebook updates by Marvel helps quite a bit, since they post a lot of update pics from the set and stuff.

absolmorph
2011-01-25, 07:28 AM
I agree. how can you not have heard about this before?

Of course, getting facebook updates by Marvel helps quite a bit, since they post a lot of update pics from the set and stuff.
Consistently being on Facebook would make that more helpful.
I think I'll add that page next time I'm on, though.

KuReshtin
2011-01-25, 08:01 AM
Mmmmmmm...
Just had a pretty nice lunch.

Can anyone guess what it is?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7Tn9Kao9lf8/TT7JOTyMUII/AAAAAAAAAYQ/W_21VKmF8aI/s800/IMAG0169.jpg

:smallbiggrin: Haggis, Tatties and Neeps. Yum!

Heliomance
2011-01-25, 08:12 AM
Mashed potato balls, mashed potato balls soaked in gravy, and mouldy mashed potato balls ^^

KuReshtin
2011-01-25, 08:17 AM
Mashed potato balls, mashed potato balls soaked in gravy, and mouldy mashed potato balls ^^

Yes, no and no.

Miklus
2011-01-25, 12:24 PM
Is it cancer, a tumor or an aneurism? The three get mixed up a lot.
In any case, he is insane, probably from the excess of cells on his head, going to work with a brain cancer diagnosis is ridiculous, any type of collision may be dangerous, also, stress won't help him if not outright kill him in some cases.

He will take a lot of sick days, if he is married don't expect his presence for at least a month.

It's a tumor, I think.

Yes, he is insane. But he has been insane for years. Ask anyone working for him.

Collision? Are you kidding? He ate the floor head first. He got a cut on the left side of his head, that is where all the blood came from. At first we all thought he had fallen and got a seizure from the blow, but it turns out it was the other way around. That is why they posponed the operation for a week, his head needs to recover from the fall first. When the paramedic asked him what day it was, he got it two days wrong.

Stress? Whoa boy. He is usually stressed, let's leave it at that.

Also, he is on three or four kinds of pills. Most of them to prevent further seizures. But that also made him kind of mellow today.

He is married, but what has that got to do with anything? If his homelife is anything like work, she can STFU. Unless he is "henpecked"...? Actually, that would explain a lot.

Anyway, the tumor is "accessable", so we are optimistic. There is probably a six week recovery time. Or maybe he will show up the next day with a big frankenstein scar on his head.

Eldpollard
2011-01-25, 12:27 PM
Mmmmmmm...
Just had a pretty nice lunch.

Can anyone guess what it is?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7Tn9Kao9lf8/TT7JOTyMUII/AAAAAAAAAYQ/W_21VKmF8aI/s800/IMAG0169.jpg

:smallbiggrin: Haggis, Tatties and Neeps. Yum!
I was about to say haggis, tatties and neeps as it's Burn's Night. Then I saw your white text.
I've been vegetarian for nearly 6 years now, I still miss the taste of haggis.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 12:52 PM
I'm full of good news today!

I just found out that I made it into another college Honor Band thing! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: *dances* I'm a little annoyed at myself for only making 2nd chair, if I hadn't left it to the last minute and made a better audition tape I would have made first :smallannoyed:

And I got a 95 on my Algebra II exam, at 94 on my Civics, and an 86 in Spanish (:smallyuk: ) but I expected to fail the Spanish, so it's not that bad.

Also, I can finally breathe now that I have medication for my stupid cold/respiratory infection. :smallbiggrin: If felt so good to sleep all night.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 03:40 PM
Sounds like a day of good things, then, Perry! Or at least, a day of relatively good things. :smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 03:52 PM
I'm full of good news today!

I just found out that I made it into another college Honor Band thing! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: *dances* I'm a little annoyed at myself for only making 2nd chair, if I hadn't left it to the last minute and made a better audition tape I would have made first :smallannoyed:

And I got a 95 on my Algebra II exam, at 94 on my Civics, and an 86 in Spanish (:smallyuk: ) but I expected to fail the Spanish, so it's not that bad.

Also, I can finally breathe now that I have medication for my stupid cold/respiratory infection. :smallbiggrin: If felt so good to sleep all night.

You know whats funny? The older you egt the less you care about grades. Or so it seems...

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 04:14 PM
You know whats funny? The older you egt the less you care about grades. Or so it seems...

From what I remember you seemed pretty concerned about them a while back.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 04:21 PM
From what I remember you seemed pretty concerned about them a while back.

I would have been freaking out a lot more last year.

absolmorph
2011-01-25, 04:26 PM
I'm caring more about grades as I get older.
Possibly because of the incredibly low bar I set.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 04:26 PM
I would have been freaking out a lot more last year.

I've got it inverted, each year grades freak me out a lot more.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 04:30 PM
I'm caring more about grades as I get older.
Possibly because of the incredibly low bar I set.

I've got it inverted, each year grades freak me out a lot more.

Hmmm. I guess if you had bad grades as a freshman and a sophmore it might make sense as you start to worry about College...

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 04:34 PM
Hmmm. I guess if you had bad grades as a freshman and a sophmore it might make sense as you start to worry about College...

I don't understand your strange year system here we use a simple method:
Kindergarten-1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th Year and then I,II,III,IV,V of Media, you apply to a University on Vth, take the tests and the next year you begin your desired choice of a career.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 04:38 PM
I don't understand your strange year system here we use a simple method:
Kindergarten-1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th Year and then I,II,III,IV,V of Media, you apply to a University on Vth, take the tests and the next year you begin your desired choice of a career.

Simple?

I don't understand your strange year system here we use a simple method

You restart your numbers after 6th.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 04:40 PM
Simple?

You restart your numbers after 6th.

Ours doesn't need a chart to be understood.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Education_in_the_United_States.svg/497px-Education_in_the_United_States.svg.png

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 04:43 PM
Ours doesn't need a chart to be understood.

I need a chart. :smallannoyed:

Edit: The reason someone would need that chart is because the US is so large that it has too many ways to do things.

Edit 2: Is 1√2 = √2 true?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 05:08 PM
I need a chart. :smallannoyed:

Edit: The reason someone would need that chart is because the US is so large that it has too many ways to do things.

Edit 2: Is 1√2 = √2 true?

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/SystemComparison.png

Edit2: Yes, It is true

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 05:12 PM
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/SystemComparison.png

*Shrugs* Most of those systems aren't in use. The

Primary: 1-6
Middle: 7-8
High: 9-12

System is the most common.

Edit2: Yes, It is true

And I just figured out I didn't even need to know that. :smallsigh:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 05:14 PM
*Shrugs* Most of those systems aren't in use. The

Primary: 1-6
Middle: 7-8
High: 9-12

System is the most common.

And I just figured out I didn't even need to know that. :smallsigh:

You have to switch schools, where I currently live you just stay on one school throughout all your school life, some are even opening PreKinders.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 05:18 PM
You have to switch schools, where I currently live you just stay on one school throughout all your school life, some are even opening PreKinders.

... Erm, how does that make anything easier? [It] Leads to too many bullying problems if you have to a big district.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 05:22 PM
... Erm, how does that make anything easier? [It] Leads to too many bullying problems if you have to a big district.

We don't have districts. You just show at up public shcools.
The Public School System is useless, the Private School System is expensive.
It's a very economically polarized country.

Heliomance
2011-01-25, 05:25 PM
Unless you go private, our system makes perfect sense.

Age 4-7 Years Reception, 1, 2 Infant }
Age 7-11 Year 3-6 Junior } usually folded together into one school, known as Primary

Age 11-16 Years 7-11 Secondary
End of compulsory schooling
Age 16-18 (Years 12-13) Sixth form

University

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 05:32 PM
We don't have districts. You just show at up public shcools.
That sounds flawed. (Not that ours isn't.)

The Public School System is useless, the Private School System is expensive.

It's a very economically polarized country.
As opposed to what place that isn't?

Age 7-11 Year 3-6 Junior } usually folded together into one school, known as Primary

University

I sincerely have no idea what you're trying to say. Except that you have less (mandatory) school.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 05:35 PM
That sounds flawed. (Not that ours isn't.)
Child Labour and poverty are so widerspread that sometimes they are actually overstaffed, of course there are times it's the opposite.

As opposed to what place that isn't?
Believe me, the American and the British Public system are excellent in comparison to ours, the European one is just a Utopia at his point in comparison to ours.

Also, my country is one where you have block wide houses with a pool and a tennis court next to run down apartments meant for 50 families populated by 200 families of 8 persons each.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 05:45 PM
i got bonked on the head by a helicopter blade earlier today:smallsmile:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 05:46 PM
i got bonked on the head by a helicopter blade earlier today:smallsmile:

The blade was split from the helicopter, wasn't it?

Thufir
2011-01-25, 05:46 PM
This discussion again?

What do private schools do differently?

University

Or, 3 tier:
Reception - Y4 First
Y5-Y8 Middle
Y9-13 High.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 05:48 PM
The blade was split from the helicopter, wasn't it?

nein. it was disengaged from the engine so it was all freewheel-y

Heliomance
2011-01-25, 05:49 PM
What do private schools do differently?

Dunno, but they have different categories and boundaries. Preparatory school, and pre-prep, and goodness knows what-all.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a day of good things, then, Perry! Or at least, a day of relatively good things. :smallwink:

Indeed. :smallsmile:

And I have chemistry next semester! I'm excited.

You know whats funny? The older you get the less you care about grades. Or so it seems...

ehhhh.... I think I care more, because I know I need good grades for college and such. Which I do, but still. I need my A's. Especially to get into one of the school's I'm applying to.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-25, 05:53 PM
Exams are finally over :smallbiggrin:

I got a 98.18% in Phys. Ed., a 96.5% in English, a 94.4% in Bio, a 95% in History, and a 79% in Pre-Calc (:smalleek::smallyuk::smallfrown:)

I took French exam today, so I don't know what I got on it.

Overall, pretty good. And my C+ on Pre-Calc just brought me down to a 88%, so that's good. :smallsmile:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-25, 06:02 PM
Dunno, but they have different categories and boundaries. Preparatory school, and pre-prep, and goodness knows what-all.

Right. From experience:
Prep School = private Primary School (sometimes goes up to Year 8 instead of Year 6)
Public School = private Secondary School (usually with a Sixth Form as well).

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 06:13 PM
Believe me, the American and the British Public system are excellent in comparison to ours, the European one is just a Utopia at his point in comparison to ours.

Also, my country is one where you have block wide houses with a pool and a tennis court next to run down apartments meant for 50 families populated by 200 families of 8 persons each.

I thught you were British.

Indeed. :smallsmile:

And I have chemistry next semester! I'm excited.

Poor child. Delusions are so dreadful. Seriously, why is that good?

ehhhh.... I think I care more, because I know I need good grades for college and such. Which I do, but still. I need my A's. Especially to get into one of the school's I'm applying to.

I meant in High School only. Not for the whole run. Should've clarified. Also you're a Freshman, chill out.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 06:20 PM
I thught you were British.

Nope, however I plan on moving on to London as soon as it's reasonable.

Are you joking, Chemestry is ErPIC
Like Erbium Phosphorous Iodine and Carbon

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 06:27 PM
Nope, however I plan on moving on to London as soon as it's reasonable.

Then where are you from?

Are you joking, Chemestry is ErPIC
Like Erbium Phosphorous Iodine and Carbon[

Pfft. I HATE Chemisty. :smallyuk:

The only reason to take it is to get to Physics, which, you know, is actually fun. IMO.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 06:33 PM
Then where are you from?

From a strange, relatively unknown country in the middle of Sudamerica, West of Brazil called Perú.

Pfft. I HATE Chemisty. :smallyuk:

The only reason to take it is to get to Physics, which, you know, is actually fun. IMO.

The only reason I even pay attention to the mandatory physics class is because there is a grade behind. Chemistry FTlW
(Fluor Tallium Tungsten)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 06:36 PM
From a strange, relatively unknown country in the middle of Sudamerica, West of Brazil called Perú.
Sarcasm right? ... must avoid politics ... Graah. Anyway, I hope people can find Peru. Yeah. Anywho, I love Geography and Government. I think I should be a lawyer. It would be epic.

The only reason I even pay attention to the mandatory physics class is because there is a grade behind. Chemistry FTW.

As opposed to those classes that don't give you a grade. :smallconfused:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 06:42 PM
Sarcasm right? ... must avoid politics ... Graah. Anyway, I hope people can find Peru. Yeah. Anywho, I love Geography and Government. I think I should be a lawyer. It would be epic.

Isn't Perú unknown?, I mean, we are not as big as Brazil and the Argentinian get all the concerts, the only thing we have going is a ruin in the Highlands called Machu-Picchu and a number of stereotypes in which those at the capital don't fit at all.

As opposed to those classes that don't give you a grade. :smallconfused:

I meant that a great part of my attention is because there is a grade and not because of real interest, which is reserved for when we deal with something that isn't Newtonian Physics.

Thufir
2011-01-25, 06:53 PM
Isn't Perú unknown?, I mean, we are not as big as Brazil and the Argentinian get all the concerts, the only thing we have going is a ruin in the Highlands called Machu-Picchu and a number of stereotypes in which those at the capital don't fit at all.

You're on the Risk board, therefore people have heard of you.
Not to mention Paddington Bear.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 06:56 PM
You're kidding right? Machu-Picchu is enough to be popular. If you can name 3 countries in S.A. Peru should be one. IMO. Also what Thurfir said.

I meant that a great part of my attention is because there is a grade and not because of real interest, which is reserved for when we deal with something that isn't Newtonian Physics.
OK. I guess.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:03 PM

I meant in High School only. Not for the whole run. Should've clarified. Also you're a Freshman, chill out.

Because it looks like it's going to be pretty interesting. Seriously, why is that bad?

But your grades in High School determine college acceptance.
AND I AM A SOPHOMORE, THANK YOU. :smallmad:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:08 PM
Because it looks like it's going to be pretty interesting. Seriously, why is that bad?
It's Chemisty. I have no good reason, i just hate it.

But your grades in High School determine college acceptance.
AND I AM A SOPHOMORE, THANK YOU. :smallmad:
Didn't you say you were a Freshman? Well, woops, my bad. Still. I have varying moods between apathy and hatred on grades.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:13 PM
It's Chemisty. I have no good reason, i just hate it.

Didn't you say you were a Freshman? Well, woops, my bad. Still. I have varying moods between apathy and hatred on grades.

But whyyyyy? :smallfrown:

I said I was 15 (I turn 16 in early April), but I am definitely a sophomore. :smalltongue:

I only wish there weren't so many required classes.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 07:16 PM
don't guinea pigs come from peru?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 07:16 PM

I said I was 15 (I turn 16 in early April), but I am definitely a sophomore. :smalltongue:

Some people just don't plain like chemistry like some just don't plain Chemistry.
Some say it's difficulty, some other's says it won't matter on their careers, other's have an aversion for anything vaguely scientific.

Chemistry is one of those things that when you stare into for long enough you become part of it and love every second of it.

At least you don't have a fixed schedule where the classes you take and their orders are assigned by the school (hating this whole MATH is king thing were the school puts so much focus on math it's annoying for us who actually like some variety in our school program).

don't guinea pigs come from peru?

Yes they are, from the Andes zone really.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:18 PM
Nothing I can explain.

A Math, a Science, and English. That's it. Good idea to take Health and Economics. Anyway, that's my school. School is school is school is school is school. My mom's a College prof. so I get into the where she teaches for school free. (I mean, still need good grades, but...)

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:18 PM
Some people just don't plain like chemistry like some just don't plain Chemistry.
Some say it's difficulty, some other's says it won't matter on their careers, other's have an aversion for anything vaguely scientific.

Chemistry is one of those things that when you stare into for long enough you become part of it and love every second of it.

At least you don't have a fixed schedule where the classes you take and their orders are assigned by the school (hating this whole MATH is king thing were the school puts so much focus on math it's annoying for us who actually like some variety in our school program).

Meh, well, hopefully I'll like it.

I kind of do, I sign up for my classes but the school puts them in order and is allowed to pretty much put me in whatever they want. I really only have a say in my elective spots, or it I want to double a core class.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 07:19 PM
Yes they are, from the Andes zone really.

awesome. when i think peru, i think llamas and guinea pigs.

that's really the only things i know of that. as well as having a cool capital name.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:25 PM
Times Article: Tiger Mom. Scary as hell.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 07:27 PM
Times Article: Tiger Mom. Scary as hell.

tiger mom... is that like a couger, only deadlier?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 07:27 PM

You look a good bit older than you are. You could pass easily for 19, given a nice coat jacket and some makeup, depending on your height.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:28 PM
A Math, a Science, and English. That's it. Good idea to take Health and Economics. Anyway, that's my school. School is school is school is school is school. My mom's a College prof. so I get into the where she teaches for school free. (I mean, still need good grades, but...)

:smallconfused:
for regular/minimum graduation requirements at my school, you need:
-Four credits of English
-Four credits of Math
-Three credits of History/Social Studies
-Three credits of Science
-One credit of Health/Physical Education
-Two credits of foreign language (in the same language)
It only gives you really 14 spots for classes you want to take, and then for the band members it drops 14 down to 6 because you're required to take band both semesters.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 07:29 PM
You look a good bit older than you are. You could pass easily for 19, given a nice coat jacket and some makeup, depending on your height.

Agreed with everything except the make up thing, it will work against.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-25, 07:30 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20029215-17.html?tag=nl.e703 My friend's dad showed me this. :smallcool:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:31 PM
:smallconfused:
for regular/minimum graduation requirements at my school, you need:
-Four credits of English
-Four credits of Math
-Three credits of History/Social Studies
-One credit of Health/Physical Education
-Two credits of foreign language (in the same language)
It only gives you really 14 spots for classes you want to take, and then for the band members it drops 14 down to 6 because you're required to take band both semesters.

I meant for the year, not for all 4 years. :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:33 PM

I get that a lot. :smalltongue:
And I do wear makeup, just not a lot. It's more noticeable in person.
I'm 5'7", I believe.

I dunno, I think I look pretty much the same age no matter how much makeup I wear.
I just look funny with lots of it. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 07:33 PM

I'm not thinkin' beyond a touch of eye shadow and some lipstick. Also, just realized that the age I'm thinking of is 21 in the US of A. :smallsigh:

Edit: Oooh, a touch of eyeliner. Not actor-level eyeliner. I always hate acting on stage when I have to wear eyeliner. Don't like things going near my eyes. Fine with all the rest of the makeup, but eyeliner is tricky, and MASCARA :smallfurious:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:36 PM
I'm 5'7", I believe.

Girls my height. :smallsigh: (Kidding. I don't care.)

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 07:37 PM
I meant for the year, not for all 4 years. :smalltongue:

Oh, that makes more sense. :smallamused:

I'm not thinkin' beyond a touch of eye shadow and some lipstick. Also, just realized that the age I'm thinking of is 21 in the US of A. :smallsigh:

Edit: Oooh, a touch of eyeliner. Not actor-level eyeliner. I always hate acting on stage when I have to wear eyeliner. Don't like things going near my eyes. Fine with all the rest of the makeup, but eyeliner is tricky, and MASCARA :smallfurious:

Lipstick is icky, and its a pain kissing with it on. :smalltongue: just saying.

I used to be afraid of putting eyeliner and mascara on, but now I'm pretty much used to it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 07:39 PM
Lipstick is icky, and its a pain kissing with it on. :smalltongue: just saying. Oh, I know. :smallamused:

I used to be afraid of putting eyeliner and mascara on, but now I'm pretty much used to it.
I don't exactly use makeup outside of theatre, so... Yeah. That's only 2 or 3 productions a year, at the MOST! Very rarely over 5 shows a year I need makeup for.

Last year, we did a student-written play, a very well-written Shakespeare mashup, and I played Oberon. Boy, was THAT a lot of makeup!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:40 PM
Oh, that makes more sense. :smallamused:

Yeah... Yours sounds similar to mine.

Mine:

-Four credits of English
-Four credits of Math
-Economics
-US Government
-World History
-Geography
-2 Credits of P.E.
-Health

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 07:47 PM
I'm not even gonna start. I mean,
5 math credits?
4 French credits,
one dual Canadian 20th Century History/Geography course,
one Ancient History credit (where we managed to completely skip Greece and Rome),
2 Modern World History credits,
4 English Lit credits,
1 Music credit
2 Theatre credits
1 Media arts credit
2 Phys Ed credits
2 generic Science credits
2 Physics credits.
1 Civics/Careers credit
1 Theory of Knowledge/Philosophy credit

Does this seem ridiculous to you? Yeah, me too.

Edit: Ooops. Looks like I did start. And finish. Erm...

Coidzor
2011-01-25, 07:51 PM
Lipstick is icky, and its a pain kissing with it on. :smalltongue: just saying.

Le gasp! And here I had you pegged for an innocent kid. :smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 07:52 PM
Doesn't mean she isn't. :smallconfused:

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-25, 07:57 PM
Does it hurt taking eyeliner off and putting it on everyday. :smallredface: I want to wear some but I have a thing about things being near my eyes.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 08:00 PM
Does it hurt taking eyeliner off and putting it on everyday. :smallredface: I want to wear some but I have a thing about things being near my eyes.

Never be in a play. EVER. I have the same problem, and I have driven make-up volunteers insane. Well, I use to back when I was a pre-teen.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-25, 08:01 PM
But acting is fun! :3 I just won't try out as Raccoon or Emo.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 08:03 PM

Everyone gets it. If you have a Stage Light on you, you get it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 08:04 PM

what about "singer in a trendy teen band"?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 08:06 PM
Never be in a play. EVER. I have the same problem, and I have driven make-up volunteers insane. Well, I use to back when I was a pre-teen.

I can tolerate the make-up before plays, but when they intend to use it in rehearsals I misteriously disappear, it just seems unnecessary.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 08:10 PM
I can tolerate the make-up before plays, but when they intend to use it in rehearsals I misteriously disappear, it just seems unnecessary.

Nah, they need it. Make sure that everyone can see you. Don't want to fo out on opening night and look like a ghost.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 08:13 PM
Nah, they need it. Make sure that everyone can see you. Don't want to fo out on opening night and look like a ghost.

Then how should I look in a Christmas Carol?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 08:14 PM
Then how should I look in a Christmas Carol?

... I was in that, I was one of the things that the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come made. Typical type casting. IDK, leave it to the make-up-artists. They know what they're doing.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 08:23 PM
what about "singer in a trendy teen band"?

Don't.
Even.
Just get a Clash t-shirt and rip it up. Much cooler.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 08:28 PM
Don't.
Even.
Just get a Clash t-shirt and rip it up. Much cooler.

yeah, but my clash t shirt is missing

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 08:32 PM
yeah, but my clash t shirt is missing

Get an Iggy Pop t-shirt.

My Iggy Pop t-shirt likes to pop up in photo's. "This is a photo of a bunraku doll we used in our performance of the Love Suicides at Sonizaki-- WHAT THE HELL IS THAT MAN DOING IN THE BACKGROUND??!?!? HE HAS NO SHIRT AND IS TRYING TO DO THE BRIDGE!?!?!? Oh, wait, that's just Gwyn's shirt. Ok, moving on..."

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 08:57 PM
I don't exactly use makeup outside of theatre, so... Yeah. That's only 2 or 3 productions a year, at the MOST! Very rarely over 5 shows a year I need makeup for.

Last year, we did a student-written play, a very well-written Shakespeare mashup, and I played Oberon. Boy, was THAT a lot of makeup!

At least you knew what to expect the second time, putting on makeup for the first time was the worst for me.

That reminds me, face paint is incredibly uncomfortable. :smallyuk:

I'm not even gonna start. I mean,
5 math credits?
4 French credits,
one dual Canadian 20th Century History/Geography course,
one Ancient History credit (where we managed to completely skip Greece and Rome),
2 Modern World History credits,
4 English Lit credits,
1 Music credit
2 Theatre credits
1 Media arts credit
2 Phys Ed credits
2 generic Science credits
2 Physics credits.
1 Civics/Careers credit
1 Theory of Knowledge/Philosophy credit

Does this seem ridiculous to you? Yeah, me too.

Edit: Ooops. Looks like I did start. And finish. Erm...

That sounds exciting. =P Mine will be similar to that, but not as much.

Pff, me? Innocent? nah. :smalltongue:

I just make people think I am. :smallwink:

Is that a question? I'll assume it is. :smallsmile:
It only hurts if you stab yourself in the eye. :smalltongue: (which I do admit to doing accidentally on occasion)
It doesn't hurt taking it off, it really depends on how much you're wearing. If you're scrubbing your eyes really hard obviously it will hurt. And what you're using to remove it. At first I used these oily makeup remover pad things and they irritated my eyes. I switched to a different type and I haven't had any problems since.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 09:02 PM

School? Exciting? Wat. .-.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 09:03 PM

And it's all either Higher or Standard Level IB. I don't know why I do this to myself. Speaking of which, I have a math exam tomorrow I should be studying for.

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 09:07 PM
School? Exciting? Wat. .-.

I was joking, to an extent. =P School isn't that bad, its all the work I hate. I like the learning part.

And it's all either Higher or Standard Level IB. I don't know why I do this to myself. Speaking of which, I have a math exam tomorrow I should be studying for.

Ah, then I'll be taking a lot of that too.
Good luck. :smallsmile:

I don't have school tomorrow because I passed all of my exams and I don't have to go for retesting. :smallsmile: My new semester starts Thursday.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 09:11 PM
I was joking, to an extent. =P School isn't that bad, its all the work I hate. I like the learning part.

I second this, learning is fun, but some work is just pointless and a lot of the testing seems completely unnecessary or pointless, in theory teachers should structure their classes to compensate for the students failures in tests (I mean the section they often fail of it), but at the end they force the student to structure his studies to tests instead of learning. Testing at the end just becomes a way to produce a numeric approach to knowing how well students have learnt and it normally sucks in doing that.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 09:11 PM
I like learning. Sometimes.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 09:12 PM
At least you knew what to expect the second time, putting on makeup for the first time was the worst for me.

That reminds me, face paint is incredibly uncomfortable. :smallyuk:

hell yeah, spirit day at my high school sucked.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v317/49/94/1544820474/n1544820474_30165484_8980.jpg

i was itchy all day :smallannoyed:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 09:19 PM
So, we were looking at examples of what other IB school's drama classes did, and it made me mad. What right do they have to all be rich private schools, while we're the poorest school in the city! Honestly, we can hardly even afford costumes, and our lights keep failing... :smallfurious:

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 09:24 PM
I second this, learning is fun, but some work is just pointless and a lot of the testing seems completely unnecessary or pointless, in theory teachers should structure their classes to compensate for the students failures in tests (I mean the section they often fail of it), but at the end they force the student to structure his studies to tests instead of learning. Testing at the end just becomes a way to produce a numeric approach to knowing how well students have learnt and it normally sucks in doing that.

Agreed. I'm a lot more willing to do work if I know i'm benefiting from it or why i'm doing it. As for testing, I understand that it's necessarily, but I think there should be less emphasis put on it. In a couple classes I've passed with A's but didn't retain anything because I studied to the tests and then forgot it all.

hell yeah, spirit day at my high school sucked.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v317/49/94/1544820474/n1544820474_30165484_8980.jpg

I was itchy all day :smallannoyed:

Out of curiosity, is you mascot a tiger? :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 09:24 PM
So, we were looking at examples of what other IB school's drama classes did, and it made me mad. What right do they have to all be rich private schools, while we're the poorest school in the city! Honestly, we can hardly even afford costumes, and our lights keep failing... :smallfurious:

I'm at a private school, we could hardly afford anything at all, we ended up having to charge up for the entrance which were than distributed to the actors. We ended having to sell them to our families.

The school is really stingy on some activities while wasting unnecessary money on other (they made a freaking pool which is never used, not even for P.E.)

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 09:26 PM
Buy a better school. :smalltongue:

Diva De
2011-01-25, 09:27 PM
Is it too early to wonder aloud when the JC meet-up thread will be posted? I'm already excited about it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 09:28 PM
Agreed. I'm a lot more willing to do work if I know i'm benefiting from it or why i'm doing it. As for testing, I understand that it's necessarily, but I think there should be less emphasis put on it. In a couple classes I've passed with A's but didn't retain anything because I studied to the tests and then forgot it all.

Out of curiosity, is you mascot a tiger? :smalltongue:

yes ma'am filler

Perenelle
2011-01-25, 09:28 PM
Buy a better school. :smalltongue:

If only it were that easy. :smalltongue:

You could transfer schools, that's what I did. Of course I have to pay tuition since i'm from out of county, but it's worth it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 09:35 PM
You could transfer schools, that's what I did. Of course I have to pay tuition since i'm from out of county, but it's worth it.

Nah, I like all me buds here. Leavin' them would be too hard. :smallcool: I just wish we got some actual money. Stupid stingy school board.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-25, 09:36 PM
Nah, I like all me buds here. Leavin' them would be too hard. :smallcool: I just wish we got some actual money. Stupid stingy school board.

tell me about it, all my old school's money went to the football team

KerfuffleMach2
2011-01-25, 09:40 PM

No matter where you go, this problem will exist. There is no escaping it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-25, 09:42 PM
All of our money goes towards the Media Arts room. We have state-of-the-art Macs, with epic film editing software, multiple hi-def cameras, a boom mic, sweet headphones to go with the computers.

It's my favourite room to be in, even if I don't take Film anymore. :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-25, 09:44 PM

All of our money goes towards the Media Arts room. We have state-of-the-art Macs, with epic film editing software, multiple hi-def cameras, a boom mic, sweet headphones to go with the computers.

It's my favourite room to be in, even if I don't take Film anymore. :smallbiggrin:

Guh. We have MAcs. I hate them so much. I have to go out of my way to save them as .DOCS. Half the time I forget, and I have to turn in my assignements late or stay after school to re-save.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 09:47 PM

My school dumps all the money on technology too, but we don't really have the personnel to use them, Computation teachers suck, all three of them, the support personnel is mediocre, sometimes they know what they are doing, other times not so. And also, wrong technology, we had Vista for months and we now have 7, and the laptops are all Vaios. The internet system was badly made and the amount of repairs have outweighed the cost of an antennae that they refused to set-up because it was supposedly too expensive.

Also, logistics are crappy, they sometimes buy too many and other times too little. But I don't complain, I got CS4 for free thanks to them, just had to draw Sony Ericsson logo in under 80 minutes in Fireworks to get one of the extra copies the school had bought for free.

MoonCat
2011-01-25, 10:37 PM
My old school dumped a bunch of brand new, really good PCs for some extremely outdated MACs because "they all matched" and the teacher who likes to pretend he's good with computers prefers MACs. Now, while I do prefer PCs, I can get along on a MAC if I don't try to do anything too strenuous. But these MACs were buggy, old, and bad ones even when they were new and pristine. Ugh.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-25, 11:02 PM
Conclussion: Schools should go Linux

MoonCat
2011-01-25, 11:49 PM

Yes Would leave just that, except for the ten letter minimum

Haruki-kun
2011-01-26, 12:38 AM

Unlikely as hell. My dad's tech support guy worked once with a school that tried that. In about a month they were back on windows.

Businesses and places of work don't usually* want to fiddle around with Linux. They just want their computers to work right away.

*yes, I know there are exceptions.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-26, 12:45 AM
Unlikely as hell. My dad's tech support guy worked once with a school that tried that. In about a month they were back on windows.

Businesses and places of work don't usually* want to fiddle around with Linux. They just want their computers to work right away.

*yes, I know there are exceptions.

I remember asking one of the computer teachers if they ever considered switching to Linux, he said:
"First of all Profesor (another of the Informatics teacher) wouldn't even be able to turn on the machine, and Profesor [another of the Informatics teacher 2] would be looking for the Start menu or pressing the Windows key.
Also, the principal wouldn't be able to check his mail if it didn't automatically pop-up when the machine turned on."

I told him: So I assume you have Linux running at home.
His response: "Are you insane, I couldn't even get a GUI running"

I laughed and died a little inside.