PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #773 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-02-02, 10:53 PM
New comic is up.

Fjolnir
2011-02-02, 10:55 PM
Very nice, found the old age home joke a bit in poor taste but that comes from having to make that decision...

Mando Knight
2011-02-02, 10:56 PM
And once again, Roy shows why he's the leader of the team.

HUMVEE Driver
2011-02-02, 10:57 PM
Four the win!

Blue Ghost
2011-02-02, 10:57 PM
Another item for the inventory list. :smallamused:
And more plot development. Beautiful. :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 10:58 PM
Oh hee! Elan's first words there! And it seems Roy has grown, before he'd have been mad Haley didn't tell him.

Alignment
2011-02-02, 10:58 PM
Roy is so awesome right now. :smallsmile:

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 11:00 PM
Another nursing home joke! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-02, 11:00 PM
Why would she need a better bow to use it? :smallconfused:

Shale
2011-02-02, 11:01 PM
It takes one heck of a bow to apply your strength bonus to a shot.

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 11:03 PM
Interesting switch to something so light, I'm reminded of the warning that anyone could die in battle, and then the junk strip, only this one highlighted growth.

RaggedAngel
2011-02-02, 11:03 PM
I like that it took Roy's death and resurrection to make him fully trust Haley.

Then again, it's Haley, so he was fairly justified in his unease.

Another excellent comic. :smallsmile:

Yendor
2011-02-02, 11:04 PM
Why would she need a better bow to use it? :smallconfused:

Composite longbows do extra damage with a Strength bonus.

Nimrod's Son
This book just keeps getting better and better. The characterisation over the last twenty strips has just been superb.

Jarian
I'm afraid I don't get the seltzer bit.

/dense

MoonCat
Oh hey, I wonder when Roy'll comment on the hair returning.

Edit: Look at these (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html) two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html) and compare.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-02, 11:06 PM
Neither does Geoff, by the looks of things. :smallamused:

MammonAzrael
2011-02-02, 11:06 PM
Good character building strip.

Also, seltzer is awesome. Go Banjo!

Kichiku
2011-02-02, 11:07 PM
I like that it took Roy's death and resurrection to make him fully trust Haley.

Then again, it's Haley, so he was fairly justified in his unease.

Another excellent comic. :smallsmile:

They've certainly come a long way since On the Origin of PCs :smallsmile: .

Blaznak
2011-02-02, 11:10 PM
And Elan gets the best line, once again :)

MoonCat
2011-02-02, 11:11 PM
Seltzer is sparkling water, right?

CoffeeIncluded
2011-02-02, 11:12 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks.

mizzim
2011-02-02, 11:14 PM
... I just noticed that Roy's still wearing his boots. Didn't they take all of his stuff, including clothing?
And why did I not notice it before?

Conuly
2011-02-02, 11:15 PM
Yes, seltzer is synonymous with club soda or sparkling water. (Hey, let's have a soda/pop/coke thread! This is like that, but with less sugar!)

I bet the reference has to do with clowns squirting each other with seltzer from flowers.

On another note, I never EVER thought I'd say this... but I can't keep up with this update pace! Well, whatever, another great comic, right on the tales of the last. I'm overdosing on awesome, but so be it.

Swordpriest
2011-02-02, 11:16 PM
Heh -- in a couple of threads, I called Haley's plan without even realizing it. :smallbiggrin: I said she should just lug him out by main force, and that's exactly what she decided to do.

Nevitan
2011-02-02, 11:17 PM
Poor Roy, still taking her teasing seriously.

Gopher
2011-02-02, 11:19 PM
I think that it used to be common in clown acts to spray people with seltzer bottles or something. It's one of those things I've seen parodied but never played straight.

I really enjoy the recent update speed.

ref
2011-02-02, 11:23 PM
They're so different now that they were in #1 (or before!)

Capt Spanner
2011-02-02, 11:25 PM
Poor Roy, still taking her teasing seriously.

Maybe he just plays along with it. He is aware he is the straight-man of the group.

Kichiku
2011-02-02, 11:25 PM
They're so different now that they were in #1 (or before!)

Character development sure is a fine thing, eh? :smallbiggrin:

Laurellien
2011-02-02, 11:31 PM
A nicer end than the last one. Great comic Rich!

Lurkmoar
2011-02-02, 11:34 PM
Nice, Haley and Roy are actually friends. I suppose one being dead and the other taking the lead can do that. Glad the updates have picked up.

valce
2011-02-02, 11:56 PM
Just wanted to say:

Tarquin is an evil mastermind! Why would he leave all the PC's equipment in one storage room for their convenience during any getaway that might occur? Far better to take what you can use and sell the rest.

Then again, maybe the guards who arrested Roy and Belkar weren't able to detect magic?

-V

immblueversion
2011-02-02, 11:59 PM
I'm glad to see how strong Haley is. It seemed as though Haley told Ian to screw himself and rot in jail, but I knew she didn't mean that. She still loves her dad after all they've been through; it's nice to see she won't leave without him so she won't have anything weighing on her conscience.

I'm also glad to hear Roy say that he trusts Haley implicitly. Cant wait to see him against Enor the half-dragon/half-ogre.

Locnil
2011-02-02, 11:59 PM
Or maybe he planned it all along. That's what he'll say.:smalltongue:

Anyway, I gotta say I love this new series of fast updates, just in time for the Chinese New Year.

Also, has the seltzer thing been mentioned elsewhere before? I seem to remember something about it.

NerfTW
2011-02-03, 12:03 AM
Just wanted to say:

Tarquin is an evil mastermind! Why would he leave all the PC's equipment in one storage room for their convenience during any getaway that might occur? Far better to take what you can use and sell the rest.

Then again, maybe the guards who arrested Roy and Belkar weren't able to detect magic?

-V

Because he has no idea they're PCs. They're just two guys who were in a bar brawl. Tarquin had nothing to do with their arrest, trial, or imprisonment.

Tarquin really isn't as all knowing as everyone (And Ian! :smalltongue:) believes. He's running a six man scheme to take over a continent. He doesn't have time to care about whether or not that guy in the gladiator arena is a PC or not.

Dr.Epic
2011-02-03, 12:04 AM
Meh, pretty good I guess.

ricorum
2011-02-03, 12:14 AM
And once again, Roy shows why he's the leader of the team.

Yes, yes he does. Big-Dumb-Fighter just doesn't work on him.

Deuce
2011-02-03, 12:16 AM
I think that it used to be common in clown acts to spray people with seltzer bottles or something. It's one of those things I've seen parodied but never played straight.

I really enjoy the recent update speed.

Not sure it's possible to spray someone with a seltzer bottle and play it straight. Especially not while dressed as a clown.

Chirurgie
2011-02-03, 12:23 AM
Having been away on hols (it's Chinese New Year day today! and what's its link to OOTS?*) and appreciating the numerous updates. Can't wait to see how this storyline resolves and I hope it's not at expense of Haley's dad dying to find out that Elan is a good person.

* the 12 Gods of Eastern continent are the 12 Zodiac animals of the Chinese lunar calendar! a fact I happily made of buying the cool clock to display in my house. Wonder is Giant will make a 'Rabbit' joke this being year of the Rabbit now?

Acero
2011-02-03, 12:27 AM
I applaud you, Mr. Burlew. Vey well written.
I was wondering how Roy would get his sword back..

Mr. Snuggles
2011-02-03, 12:41 AM
"It's not like I'm making you do anything that's not in his best interest"
Master manipulation of a Lawful Good character!

I wondered how the confiscated equipment issue was going to be resolved, or just left unsaid. Of course, once she goes to the equipment room she might as well loot the whole thing - although I doubt she will do so to make the plot run the "right" way.

Is Roy right about Haley being loyal? It's been so long since the corpse part of the story that I've forgotten what her motivation for keeping him around was. Was it self-interest or just wanting to defeat Xykon? (feels weird talking about Xykon, it's been so long since he's been around).

Vemynal
2011-02-03, 12:44 AM
I <3 their interactions so so much ^_^

Warren Dew
2011-02-03, 12:48 AM
Is Roy right about Haley being loyal? It's been so long since the corpse part of the story that I've forgotten what her motivation for keeping him around was. Was it self-interest or just wanting to defeat Xykon? (feels weird talking about Xykon, it's been so long since he's been around).
It was (a) wanting to defeat Xykon, and (b) not wanting to be party leader, as I recall.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-03, 12:50 AM
It was (a) wanting to defeat Xykon, and (b) not wanting to be party leader, as I recall.
Also, (c) Roy is her friend, and she'd prefer it if he weren't dead.

"I miss you, you big meat shield." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0527.html)

Shoelessgdowar
2011-02-03, 12:52 AM
Not sure it's possible to spray someone with a seltzer bottle and play it straight. Especially not while dressed as a clown.

Closest you'll get is in Dumbo where the Clown Firefighters are using Seltzer Bottles to try to put out the fire.

But as the relative of a Ringling Brothers' front man and the grandson of an Honorary Ringling Brothers' Clown... I can verify that yes, circus clowns and Vaudevillians (Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges, and the like) did use Seltzer for comedic purposes, frequently spraying one another, so it would make sense that Banjo and Giggles would use it for their Holy Water...

And of course Geoff doesn't get it, he's a traitor and therefore is unfamiliar with honest comedic gags... that is so he can be a straight man to Elan and Belkar's mastery of humor and slapstick. They'll show him gut wrenching, side splitting, rib tickling, mind blowing, killer comedy that will knock him dead, even if it kills him.

(Notice: Belkar, Elan, and Banjo are flanking Geoff...)

Nevereatcars
2011-02-03, 12:57 AM
So, since this has seemingly passed completely under the radar... who else has been picturing Roy, undercover, dressed in EoB armor (if Elan doesn't screw that gloriously brilliant plan up).

Gift Jeraff
Nice to have a more lighthearted emotional strip after that last one.

I'm also glad that the OOTS fandom is more mature than most--any other one would probably see this as "two characters of the opposite gender interacting = they're in love!" and seriously talk about shipping them in the main discussion thread. Doubly so considering all the Elan hate lately and all the Celia loathing in general.

Draz74
Maybe he just plays along with it. He is aware he is the straight-man of the group.
As someone who has a similar sense of humor IRL, I think this is the case. I often see people think I'm too serious and don't understand others' sarcasm or jokes, when in reality I'm just playing along because it's funnier if someone plays the straight man.

I <3 their interactions so so much ^_^

Indeed, I've been very impressed with the Roy/Haley relationship a few times now. 666 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html) is one of my all-time favorite strips.

TimelordSimone
2011-02-03, 01:10 AM
Also, (c) Roy is her friend, and she'd prefer it if he weren't dead.

"I miss you, you big meat shield." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0527.html)

Also, (d) she wanted Belkar's help fighting wights, and didn't want to risk the Mark of Justice activating. :P

~*~

Loved this strip. Roy trusts Haley. Haley trusts Elan. Ian trusts nobody but family. Excellent.

The MunchKING
2011-02-03, 01:11 AM
Seltzer is sparkling water, right?

It's also famous (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seltzer_bottle) for being sprayed in people's faces in slapstick comedy sketches. Hense Banjo'
s fondness for it.

Ted The Bug
2011-02-03, 01:26 AM
I don't know why, but this strip really worked for me. I found the jokes to be unforced, and the actions to be reasonable and in character. Tho I don't get the title, is this a DnD reference?

MoonCat
2011-02-03, 01:29 AM
I don't know why, but this strip really worked for me. I found the jokes to be unforced, and the actions to be reasonable and in character. Tho I don't get the title, is this a DnD reference?

I agree, this felt like an easy, simple strip. I love all the other strips, but I just noticed the contrast of a kind of release. Ending with a joke, for instance.

Lurkmoar
2011-02-03, 01:29 AM

Pretty sure it's about why she won't steal the Belt of Giant Strength, some bows allow you to use your strength as bonus to damage.

Herald Alberich
2011-02-03, 01:33 AM

Not a very realistic aspect of the rules. Archers may tend to be the slim ones of the army, but it still takes considerable upper body strength to fully draw a longbow effectively.

Velaryon
2011-02-03, 01:34 AM

Yes. Composite bows allow a character to add their Strength bonus to damage with arrows fired, which represents having a heavier pull than normal bows. Without that kind of bow, a strength score is meaningless to an archer. Apparently her current bow is not composite.

Anyway, good strip. Not mind-blowingly awesome, but it breaks the tension from the last strip and gets things moving along again. I loved Elan's line, too. :smallsmile:

I do hope that it doesn't come to Roy going undercover though. Would be nice to get back to the whole Gate thing sometime soon.

brionl
2011-02-03, 01:54 AM
Invocation of Banjo:
"A little song,
A little dance,
A little seltzer down your pants."
:elan:

Twilight Jack
2011-02-03, 02:20 AM
Yes. Composite bows allow a character to add their Strength bonus to damage with arrows fired, which represents having a heavier pull than normal bows. Without that kind of bow, a strength score is meaningless to an archer. Apparently her current bow is not composite.

Her current bow may very well be composite; it's just built with a pull she can manage without magical assistance. Since the force a bow provides is based on the rebounding of the materials from which it's constructed, any strength beyond that which is necessary to achieve the optimal pull would be wasted by someone using that bow. Pull any harder and you'll just damage the bow's ability to rebound. In order to put your greater strength to use, you'd need a bow that was built with a greater level of resistance which required that greater strength to achieve the optimal pull in the first place.

So, if Haley swiped Roy's belt, she'd need to obtain a bow with a heavier pull in order to gain any benefit from the enhanced strength.

Themrys
2011-02-03, 02:28 AM
Not a very realistic aspect of the rules. Archers may tend to be the slim ones of the army, but it still takes considerable upper body strength to fully draw a longbow effectively.

Yeah, but realistically, you'd need a better bow (i.e. one that is harder to pull) to make a sudden increase in strength really effective. So this joke does work for someone who never played D&D.

Funny, how Roy essentially said Haley did the right thing when she didn't tell him about her father.

Also, if they go through with freeing Ian whether he wants or not, that may be a way around traitors whom he might have told about his earlier escape plans. :smallsmile:

Burner28
2011-02-03, 03:22 AM
Liked this one. Though I didn't find it as good as the last one, it was still good:smallsmile::smallsmile:

Felixc-91
2011-02-03, 03:38 AM
Not a very realistic aspect of the rules. Archers may tend to be the slim ones of the army, but it still takes considerable upper body strength to fully draw a longbow effectively.not really, if you have a strength penalty (less than average strength for an adult) it lessens that damage dealt by a long bow. composite bows are harder to use if you can't match their strength rating (which is greater than the requirements for a standard bow). if you can match the rating then you get to deal more damage... simple, easy, and realistic.

faustin
2011-02-03, 04:45 AM
Today, Giant Moral Lesson is: Never say the truth from the beggining. Hide it until itīll be suddenly revealed in a future point, when you have already gained your companionīs trust.:smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2011-02-03, 05:38 AM
The title is priceless. :smallbiggrin:

Ulysses' bow comes to my mind.

Themrys
2011-02-03, 05:39 AM
Today, Giant Moral Lesson is: Never say the truth from the beggining. Hide it until itīll be suddenly revealed in a future point, when you have already gained your companionīs trust.:smalltongue:

It reminds me of when Durkon told V that he had been wrong and V was right, just after V had understood how wrong hir actions were. Only that Roy knew all the facts while Durkon didn't.

Damaris
2011-02-03, 05:44 AM
I really want to see that Roy-going-undercover plot happen now!

random11
2011-02-03, 07:29 AM
I have a concern about Roy's undercover plan.

Maybe I caught Ian's paranoia, but it is reasonable to assume that the room is somehow "bugged", either by magical means, or mundane ones like a spy-slave.
If that's the case, Tarquin will know everything including the group's plans and the connection to Ian.

Of course, even if he does know, his reaction is not necessarily predictable. He might help the group because he has a common goal, but he might also somehow use Ian as an advantage, or just get insulted and order everyone dead (he killed for less).

JSSheridan
2011-02-03, 08:49 AM
Thanks Giant!

Blas_de_Lezo
2011-02-03, 09:04 AM
Thanks Giant! :smallamused:

For all of you talking about she should need a composite short bow adapted to her "new strength" in case of robbing, just remember Haley wouldn't need one. Haley is thinking of increasing her strength in order to: 1) Carrying more load ("handy haversacks are never enough", as well as carrying capacity!), 2) Melee sneaks attacks.

immblueversion
2011-02-03, 09:35 AM
I was worried the issue of trust between Haley and the other members of the Order who aren't Elan would become a problem. I'm glad it's not.

maxon
2011-02-03, 09:44 AM

/dense

It's fizzy maybe - we call it something else over here, I think.

pendell
2011-02-03, 09:48 AM
The look on Geoff's face as Ian patiently explains that Banjo's holy water is made of seltzer? Priceless.

So Elan really does worship Banjo as his god?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

immblueversion
2011-02-03, 09:49 AM

Maybe I caught Ian's paranoia, but it is reasonable to assume that the room is somehow "bugged", either by magical means, or mundane ones like a spy-slave.
If that's the case, Tarquin will know everything including the group's plans and the connection to Ian.

Of course, even if he does know, his reaction is not necessarily predictable. He might help the group because he has a common goal, but he might also somehow use Ian as an advantage, or just get insulted and order everyone dead (he killed for less).

Is it even worth it for Tarquin to keep Ian hostage? Because if you ask me, it's more like Bozzok's "friends" are the ones who find it worth keeping him in jail. Sure, it would add drama, but Tarquin seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't care if he were challenged or even overthrown by a malnourished, louse-infested, hyper-paranoid dissident.

immblueversion
2011-02-03, 09:53 AM

/dense

It's for this (http://www.westervin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/SwigNSwill-Seltzer1.jpg).

Swordpriest
2011-02-03, 10:08 AM

I don't get Roy's plan in the slightest. Is he forgetting his own conversation? :smallconfused: He refuses to fight anyone in the games. The first game is tomorrow. He's basically committing suicide. How is he going to be able to go undercover if he's dead? :smallyuk:
Edit: by the way, I do love the way that in this comic, telling the truth inevitably leads either to disbelief or disaster, or both. I think even the Lawful types would have to end up lying, the way people think in OotS-world. Right now I'm imagining a conversation like this:

Cook: "Sir, your breakfast is ready."

King of Nowhere: "Ah, good, I was getting very hungry!"

Cook: "That must mean you really don't want to eat it! You're just saying that to manipulate me into thinking I'm a good cook when I'm not! Well, screw you, sir!"

*Breakfast hits the trash can*

King: "No, I really was hungry, you knave!"

Cook: "HA! You won't get a meal out of me again! Ever!"

King: "Guards! Arrest that man!"

Guards: "Hm, the King says to arrest him -- that must secretly mean that he wants us to let him go and give him a large sack of gold."

King: *sob*
:smallwink:

martianmister
2011-02-03, 10:16 AM
I don't get Roy's plan in the slightest. Is he forgetting his own conversation? :smallconfused: He refuses to fight anyone in the games. The first game is tomorrow. He's basically committing suicide. How is he going to be able to go undercover if he's dead? :smallyuk:

He will fight with Half-Dragon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html)

random11
2011-02-03, 10:26 AM

He didn't plan it, but thanks to Belkar, he's in the games.
Might as well adjust the plan to the new reality...

random11
2011-02-03, 10:39 AM
Is it even worth it for Tarquin to keep Ian hostage? Because if you ask me, it's more like Bozzok's "friends" are the ones who find it worth keeping him in jail. Sure, it would add drama, but Tarquin seems like the kind of guy who wouldn't care if he were challenged or even overthrown by a malnourished, louse-infested, hyper-paranoid dissident.

Until he discovers the connection between Ian and the OoTS, he probably just forgot about Ian. So many prisoners. ransoms and rulers, who can keep a track?

But if Ian and the gang manage to humiliate him by escaping, he might consider this reason enough to hunt them (he threw the bounty hunters to jail for less).
Heck, he might even chase them down just to create another burning sign...

It's not likely that Tarquin can use Ian for his plan, since Ian knows about him being the real power behind the throne.

Djibril
2011-02-03, 11:11 AM
It's not likely that Tarquin can use Ian for his plan, since Ian knows about him being the real power behind the throne.

I thought the real power behind the throne was reinforced concrete pylons, or adamantine cross bracers :smallsmile:

...Seltzer....LOL

Scarlet Knight
2011-02-03, 11:11 AM
I was worried the issue of trust between Haley and the other members of the Order who aren't Elan would become a problem. I'm glad it's not.

Two words : feminine products ( #29)

fibonacciseries
2011-02-03, 11:29 AM

half-dragon HALF-ogre (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0721.html)

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-03, 12:03 PM

Yes, but the point Swordpriest was making was that since that strip, Roy has told Tarquin he refuses to fight. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0773.html)

However, I'd wager the idea of going along with Tarquin's offer was thought up on the spot in the latest strip when Haley told him she no longer trusts Tarquin. Up until then, he may well have still intended to refuse to fight, but since (a) he's now got reason to doubt Tarquin and (b) he has no love for Enor in the first place, he probably figures, "Ah, what the hell."

King: *sob*
Oh, stop pretending to cry, King. It's obvious you're happy as Larry with how that went. :smallamused:

Herald Alberich
2011-02-03, 12:03 PM
not really, if you have a strength penalty (less than average strength for an adult) it lessens that damage dealt by a long bow. composite bows are harder to use if you can't match their strength rating (which is greater than the requirements for a standard bow). if you can match the rating then you get to deal more damage... simple, easy, and realistic.

Oh. Yeah, that makes sense, then.

For all of you talking about she should need a composite short bow adapted to her "new strength" in case of robbing, just remember Haley wouldn't need one. Haley is thinking of increasing her strength in order to: 1) Carrying more load ("handy haversacks are never enough", as well as carrying capacity!), 2) Melee sneaks attacks.

It's not our speculation. It's in the very title. (Left side of the screen)

Swordpriest
2011-02-03, 12:29 PM

Well, what I meant was, that I know he's in the games. I understand fully that they're going to put him in the arena the next day. However, he made a giant speech about how he would refuse to fight when put into the arena, and Tarquin told him he'd be killed out of hand if he refused to fight.

So, at the moment, it looks like his reasoning is going like this:

-- I know I'm going to be put into the arena tomorrow.

-- When I'm in the arena, I will refuse to fight, having made a big speech to that effect.

-- When I refuse to fight, the other gladiators will be ordered to kill me.

-- However, I don't want to be released from jail now, I want to be killed by the other gladiators so you can learn about Girard.

-- After you find out about Girard, come spring me, except I'll already be dead and probably fed to the arena beasts by then.

This is not a logical train of thought. If he stays in jail, he will die tomorrow. So how is this going to help him find Girard?

Edit: whoops, Nimrod's son is probably right. However, I'll let this stand as an explanation of my position prior to his post.

grimbold
2011-02-03, 12:45 PM
wow rich is cranking them out
thank you giant!

Sylthia
2011-02-03, 01:02 PM
Nice comic. I wonder under what circumstances Ian will learn to trust Elan.

faustin
2011-02-03, 01:13 PM

Maybe Ianīs usefulness as (unaware) mortal bait of potential heroes is balanced with the low cost of keeping him alive and under vigilance.
Besides, if the entire Arena is ruled by clichés, the Gladiator-Espartaco rebellion is a possibility Tarquin must have considered, and prevented.

I don't get Roy's plan in the slightest. Is he forgetting his own conversation? He refuses to fight anyone in the games. The first game is tomorrow. He's basically committing suicide. How is he going to be able to go undercover if he's dead?

Yeah, but we are aware of TOoSīs plans actual rate of effectiveness :smallbiggrin:
I am already hearing Hannibal Roy at the end of the plot :
:roy: ""I love it when a plan comes together!""

Vectner
2011-02-03, 03:20 PM
Ooh do we get an epic fight scene next strip? I have been looking forward to the Roy vs. big blue re-match up for a while.

MoonCat
2011-02-03, 03:31 PM
Ooh do we get an epic fight scene next strip? I have been looking forward to the Roy vs. big blue re-match up for a while.

Well, I think there might still be some stuff to squeeze into today, (can you believe it started here? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0748.html)) but here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0771.html) it says it'll be tomorrow, so the fight won't be too far away.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-02-03, 03:49 PM
The look on Geoff's face as Ian patiently explains that Banjo's holy water is made of seltzer? Priceless.

So Elan really does worship Banjo as his god?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Yes... And briefly so did the Hobgoblins on the island... We even saw that 1) Banjo was going to be accepted as one by the G-ds of the North, and 2) Elan's faith alone gave Banjo the power to smite (pathetic level, but still it was Smite)

Now, thanks to Banjo being Giggles Rival, even though Banjo only has Elan as a worshiper, Banjos power will grow so that he is always as powerful if not more powerful then Giggles, and Giggles has an island of Hobgoblins to worship him, so Banjo is actually getting pretty powerful already.

I'm thinking it will be Banjo who ends up smiting the Snarl in the end :)

Shoelessgdowar
2011-02-03, 03:55 PM

No, I'm pretty sure it will still be a standard level fight scene... Roy isn't Epic Level yet

AMJ
2011-02-03, 04:15 PM

Thanks. I was wondering, if it was my lack of understanding of english language, which was the reason why I didn't get the comment.

St Fan
2011-02-03, 04:18 PM
Yes... And briefly so did the Hobgoblins on the island... We even saw that 1) Banjo was going to be accepted as one by the G-ds of the North, and 2) Elan's faith alone gave Banjo the power to smite (pathetic level, but still it was Smite)

Now, thanks to Banjo being Giggles Rival, even though Banjo only has Elan as a worshiper, Banjos power will grow so that he is always as powerful if not more powerful then Giggles, and Giggles has an island of Hobgoblins to worship him, so Banjo is actually getting pretty powerful already.

Orcs, not hobgoblins. Green skin, not gouda-orange. No pointy ears, and talk like hulk.

zimmerwald1915
2011-02-03, 04:25 PM
:elan: That's way more planning than I thought this strip had.

Neopolis
2011-02-03, 04:32 PM
Technically, I believe Roy only said that he wouldn't kill an innocent prisoner... I think he wouldn't mind killing Enor.

Knaight
2011-02-03, 04:37 PM

Remember that strength 10 assumes someone can lift 100 pounds over their head, and that strength penalties do reduce bow damage. The average person in D&D has a strength in line with what one would expect when most of them do physical labor. Furthermore, capping strength bonus for bows, with that variable, makes sense. It doesn't matter if you can draw a 100 pound bow or if you can draw a 160 pound bow if it is only a 80 pound bow that you actually are drawing. As such, a strength bonus is completely worthless with a bow until you get a strong enough bow*, meaning that the belt of strength doesn't help Haley unless she is carrying around a lot of gear or gets in melee.

*This is really the main advantage of the sling, it outranges thrown weapons, and lets one apply strength. Lets not get into the realism of that weapon in D&D, its not a discussion that will end well.

Faramir
2011-02-03, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to say:

-V

That's a sensible reason, another is that if Tarquin is in the habit of offering jobs to the best gladiators then he'll want to have their equipment available.

rewinn
2011-02-03, 05:18 PM
Technically, I believe Roy only said that he wouldn't kill an innocent prisoner... I think he wouldn't mind killing Enor.

He might also be planning to defeat Enor, but try not to slay him in the process. Knocking Enor down to 0 hit points should be do-able (...depending on what Enor's got...) and then it's a question of persuading the crowd about withholding the coup-de-grace. Much hilarity ensues!

Hydro
2011-02-03, 05:26 PM
Admitting that sometimes it's a good idea for his employees to lie to him? Sometimes Roy is so practical it's hilarious.

Scarlet Knight
2011-02-03, 05:29 PM
Nice comic. I wonder under what circumstances Ian will learn to trust Elan.

Never. It's in the books somewhere : fathers / boyfriends -antipathy

Swordpriest
2011-02-03, 05:48 PM

Odd, considering how much my father-in-law liked me from the first time we met. My mother-in-law, on the other hand .... :smallbiggrin:

Gopher
2011-02-03, 05:51 PM

True. :smallsmile: Let me rephrase. "I've never seen a real clown show, but I've seen them used in cartoons as an example of clownish behavior."

Tobimaro
2011-02-03, 10:28 PM
Holy seltzer water? Hmm... Does that mean that the Three Stooges are some form of avatars for Banjo? :smallbiggrin:

Felixc-91
2011-02-04, 01:25 AM
He might also be planning to defeat Enor, but try not to slay him in the process. Knocking Enor down to 0 hit points should be do-able (...depending on what Enor's got...) and then it's a question of persuading the crowd about withholding the coup-de-grace. Much hilarity ensues!do you mean the same way hilarity ensues (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HilarityEnsues) when Xykon attacked an arch mage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html)? (start of darkness) :xykon: got his ass kicked in magic then managed to bludgeon the man to death?
i do wonder how Roy is going to pull that off, he downs (but not kills) Enor, begs for his life, and gets refused... what happens then?

Shmuel
2011-02-04, 12:01 PM
Invocation of Banjo:
"A little song,
A little dance,
We're talking about the invocation of the divine here! Let's go with the Latin version. :smallsmile:

"Minutus cantorum,
minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum."

Swordpriest
2011-02-04, 12:43 PM
We're talking about the invocation of the divine here! Let's go with the Latin version. :smallsmile:

"Minutus cantorum,
minutus balorum,

Bravo on that! You made me chuckle, good sir! :smallwink: Have an e-cookie!!!

immblueversion
2011-02-04, 01:29 PM

Well, I for one at least want him to stop judging Elan by the sins of his father, turning it to regular father/boyfriend paranoia...

rewinn
2011-02-04, 07:58 PM
do you mean the same way hilarity ensues (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HilarityEnsues) when Xykon attacked an arch mage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html)? (start of darkness) :xykon: got his ass kicked in magic then managed to bludgeon the man to death? More-or-less, although Roy with the Belt of Giant Strength and the Greenhilt Sword +5 should not have much trouble against a wingbound Enor.

i do wonder how Roy is going to pull that off, he downs (but not kills) Enor, begs for his life, and gets refused... what happens then?
Hopefully, a lot of people have to make a lot of choices ... :elan: which makes for good storytelling!

blazingshadow
2011-02-04, 11:18 PM
More-or-less, although Roy with the Belt of Giant Strength and the Greenhilt Sword +5 should not have much trouble against a wingbound Enor.what makes you think that tarquin will let roy use his magical equipment? the best roy can hope for is that haley steals his equipment before tarquin sells or uses it himself.

then again he could cheat and make tarquin more interested in him

rewinn
2011-02-05, 12:41 AM
what makes you think that tarquin will let roy use his magical equipment? the best roy can hope for is that haley steals his equipment before tarquin sells or uses it himself.

then again he could cheat and make tarquin more interested in him
Why would Tarquin care ... or even notice before the fight begins?

Tarquin almost certainly does not supervise every aspect of the games, especially since he has without a doubt given very careful instructions to his guards concerning the removal of magic items from prisoners.

It's probably written down in that instruction manual on a page we didn't see, so Tarquin need have no worries on that account. It's not like anyone is going to talk the guards out of obeying the manual!

Lvl45DM!
2011-02-05, 03:10 AM
Im pretty sure that the grizzled old gladiator guy wouldnt let Roy have his equipment. Roy just asked Haley to grab it so it was under their control

M.A.D
2011-02-05, 03:30 AM
Invocation of Banjo:
"A little song,
A little dance,

"Minutus cantorum,
minutus balorum,

This is made of win :D

faustin
2011-02-05, 08:32 AM
We're talking about the invocation of the divine here! Let's go with the Latin version.

"Minutus cantorum,
minutus balorum,

:smallcool::smallcool: There should be a place in the Discworld Pantheon for Banjo the Clown.

thepsyker
2011-02-05, 12:13 PM
But if Ian and the gang manage to humiliate him by escaping, he might consider this reason enough to hunt them (he threw the bounty hunters to jail for less).
Heck, he might even chase them down just to create another burning sign...
Why would Tarquin be upset if Elan's party escaped? He needs them to save the world from whatever threat they are adventuring against so he can continue to rule over a large swath of it and so that Elan can return at a later date and overthrow him as part of an epic show down that would make him a legendary villain.

Jerbiton
2011-02-05, 01:56 PM
This may or may not be the right thread to do this - but...

I discovered OOTS in January and I've read all the strips now - a big thank you goes to the author!

Swordpriest
2011-02-05, 03:04 PM
Why would Tarquin be upset if Elan's party escaped? He needs them to save the world from whatever threat they are adventuring against so he can continue to rule over a large swath of it and so that Elan can return at a later date and overthrow him as part of an epic show down that would make him a legendary villain.

Yes, pretty much. Still, I doubt if he'd be too upset if Ian croaked during the escape attempt. Heck, it would create more dramatic tension later on when Elan returns to fight him (as he imagines the scenario as developing).

Shoelessgdowar
2011-02-05, 05:43 PM
More-or-less, although Roy with the Belt of Giant Strength and the Greenhilt Sword +5 should not have much trouble against a wingbound Enor.
Hopefully, a lot of people have to make a lot of choices ... :elan: which makes for good storytelling!

As long as Roy isn't foolish enough to jump on Enor's back and then chop his head off at 30,000 feet

MoonCat
2011-02-05, 06:33 PM
As long as Roy isn't foolish enough to jump on Enor's back and then chop his head off at 30,000 feet

Nah, Enor would have already fallen off a cliff by then.

Felixc-91
2011-02-06, 02:39 AM
More-or-less, although Roy with the Belt of Giant Strength and the Greenhilt Sword +5 should not have much trouble against a wingbound Enor.
@1: yep, that would probably be a 1-2 round fight... but since Roy will not have those items the fight is going to be a bit more interesting... on the one hand Enor took down Elan (a level 14 or so PC) and made it look beneath him. on the other hand its Elan in close combat, we know he had used several potions just before that fight, and it looked as if he some how managed to ignore the effects of Elan's puns. hmmm, it seems like its still going to be easy, but hey, i might be wrong.
@2: yeah... Roy will have to figure out which he values more, his principles or his life, and the rest of the party will have to figure out if their going to follow his orders, save his life, or figure out an indirect way to do both... T, unfortunately, looks to be the only one who a has a chance of avoiding any significant decision.

cc_kizz
2011-02-07, 04:57 AM
I love :elan:. And Banjo is awesome! :smallsmile:

Jay R
2011-02-07, 03:54 PM
:smallcool::smallcool: There should be a place in the Discworld Pantheon for Banjo the Clown.

Never mind, he just said he didn't want to be in the pantheon. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html)

Neoriceisgood
2011-02-08, 03:47 AM
Roy really is a practical guy, isn't he?

Kind of curious where this arc's going, interesting to see how
one dad is very understanding ..but extremely evil, and the other
good but completely unaccepting.

Worst of both worlds? :smalltongue:

faustin
2011-02-08, 01:21 PM
Just think in the family reunion for their Wedding :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-02-08, 01:25 PM
Just think in the family reunion for their Wedding :smallbiggrin:

No worse than the ones for my family :smallwink: