PDA

View Full Version : Points if Light [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Egneil
2011-05-04, 06:01 PM
The city of Fenglue was rather warm for the transition from spring into summer, much to the delight of the farmers. It was alive with the bustle of people taking advantage of the warmth. You walk through the streets following talk of a person looking for strong adventurers. As southern wind blows it cuts through your clothes striking your bone, underlying the fact that it was just below the frozen tundra. After asking about who your looking for you learn that his house is near the western wall.

sean_hyer
2011-05-04, 07:10 PM
"Hmph" grunted Isidor. "Another "fun" job." Muttering thanks to the human girl who had given him directions, he turned west. "Let me guess. There will be tryouts."

Wyntonian
2011-05-04, 09:43 PM
Lared Mackenzie strode purposefully east, hiding his unease at the thick crowd with outward determination, wishing he had trees towering on either side, rather than buildings. "Why do I always end up going against the flow of the crowd?" He wondered privately. "This should be interesting, if nothing else."

slaydemons
2011-05-04, 10:42 PM
Rory heard the tales of adventure from the whispers people said to each other he grinned feeling as though the queen avarice was blessing him with a fast way to get stronger more powerful he quickly found out which way was west from someone he happened to pass by

Randel
2011-05-05, 12:45 AM
Lien

Lien walked along through the streets of Fengrue, taking in the sights as well as trying to enjoy the warmth when she can get it. She had heard of someone hiring adventurers and figured she'd investigate. She had heard numerous tales of people hiring adventurous souls to take care of certain tasks, and such stories often told of the rich reward said adventurers got, the loot or items they found in the task, the monsters they slew... and some exploits they got into to celebrate their victory.

But while there are a few popular stories of victorious adventurers who did great deeds as a result of such summons, there are many less-circulated stories about con games made by tricky old men in taverns who send gullible folk out on dangerous missions or scammed them in some way... and of all the adventurers who just died pointlessly without completing their job.

That's one of the reasons Lien took this job... if it's legitimate then she might be able to get some quick gold or if it's a little shady then this might give her some insight into how these things work. Either way, she'd have to find this mans house by the western wall and keep an eye out for anyone else attracted by the promise of adventurous employment.

Rolling Bardic Knowledge Check about the city of Fengrue and any details about the man asking for adventurers:

Bardic Knowledge (Fengrue City): [roll0]

Bardic Knowledge (The man hiring them): [roll1]

PollyOliver
2011-05-05, 12:54 AM
Marus of Appleton, hawk perched on his shoulder, made for the house near the west wall.

It was silly of him. Seasoned and battle-hardened he was certainly not. Experienced adventurer described him about as well as suave or swashbuckling or well-muscled--which was to say not at all. Average of height and small of build, with plain black hair and a closely trimmed beard, Marus was nothing if not ordinary. And bearing a notebook and well-calloused hands, he was clearly little more than a scribe out for a stroll. And yet.

Marus flexed his fingers slightly, itching to feel the magic coursing through them again. His master claimed advancement came only through practice of the worldly sort, and so Marus, not worldly at all, made for the house by the western wall as if his life depended on it.

Egneil
2011-05-06, 12:28 AM
As you reached the small home of Nevek Irontouched you see the halfling on his porch chewing a bit of grass. At first glance he seems to ignore you, but on inquiring about the job he quickly becomes attentive. Welcoming you into his house and offering refreshments. You note that the house only consists of three rooms, as you sit down in chairs appropriate for your size. When the last of you sit down and make yourself comfortable, Nevek stands and clears his throat.

"Yes, this group should be sufficient," he said, looking at the six people assembled, "As you all know, I'm looking for some brave souls that are not currently occupied with the army or the hunters. Now I'm sure you're wondering what the job is, so I'll get right to it. It will be dangerous but I doubt that a group of your size will have much of a problem,"

Taking a breath his expression became more somber, "What I want you to do is travel to the ruined sewers of Dretch and bring me back a rare moss. The moss can only grow under certain circumstances, and it also costs a good bit of gold. If you bring me back a pound of it, I'll give you some of the profits as a reward. The stuff is called 'blade moss', mainly because when it's struck by light it will form a very sharp exterior. Now the city has been abandoned for two decades, so I don't know what has crawled into the sewers. But," Nevek said raising a finger, "the army says that the largest monster that we'll be seeing for a month will be an enchanted object. If any of you have questions or want to leave, feel free to do so."

Wyntonian
2011-05-06, 09:21 AM
Lared frowned An enchanted object? What do you mean by that? He touched the string of the bow slung over his back in an unconscious gesture. Like an animated object?

slaydemons
2011-05-06, 10:50 AM
rory sighed "well things could be more then they seem, tell me do you have a bag we can carry this in so it doesn't destroy anything we put it in?" he looked at this halfing is arms crossed

sean_hyer
2011-05-06, 10:59 AM
Isidor leaned back in his chair, idly turning a knife in his hands.
"Should the moss be exposed to light, would we still be able to collect the reward for it? Or must it be in it's, ah, soft form?"
He paused, thinking.
"And how sharp is "very"?"

Egneil
2011-05-06, 11:51 AM
Looking at Lared he smiled, "Ah yes, animated objects, exactly that. Nasty things though, in a one to one fight anything my size can kill a fully grown man. Which is why I'm sending a group, of course with the nature of the world, they could be enchanted as well. As for your questions," Nevek said addressing Rory and Isidor, "It's highest points are as sharp as a dagger, but that's not were the money is. The value comes from the valleys between the blades, as that makes an incredible abrasive. Exposing it to light is actually the only way to prove it's what you say. If you damage it's hard shell, then it becomes less valuable. Storing it safely is actually very easy, as when it's placed in darkness it will relax into it's original, soft form in only a few minutes."

sean_hyer
2011-05-06, 01:22 PM
Isidor frowned slightly, and leaned forwards.
"Are you telling me that we have to trek through a sewer that has been abandoned for decades - and is hence likely to be overgrown. In this sewer is a rare moss, which we must collect. And the only way for us to identify this moss is by bringing it out into the daylight?"

"There must be another way to identify it. A color, or the shape of the leaves? Or at least could we see a sample to know what it looks like?"

slaydemons
2011-05-06, 01:32 PM
rory quickly add at the end to the mans sentence"in the dark how it looks in the dark."

Egneil
2011-05-06, 01:54 PM
Nevek let out a sigh, "You seem to have made a few misconceptions about it, as I did not specify daylight. Any kind of light will do so long as it's sufficiently bright," he moved to the cupboards and started rummaging around.

"Although you don't want to get it too close to an open flame, like a torch or a candle. So the best way to identify it would be with this," he said as he came back to the table with a rusty bullseye lantern, "Now I know it's old, but it'll do the job. When you shine the light on the moss, it'll start to glisten with a liquid that will harden into a shell in only a few seconds."

chrisrawr
2011-05-06, 02:35 PM
Alnath is just happy to be making progress. None of the side-jobs he'd taken on so far seemed nearly as prospective, or, well, optimistic as this one seemed to be. The others gathered here seem quite competent - perhaps he'd get to know them better over the course of this expedition. The moss certainly seemed interesting enough - and if the man was offering money for the stuff, well, he'd be certain to bring back as much of it as he could carry.

After someone takes the lamp, he hushes himself - his fractured self, rather. Taking the lamp and selling would not help him get home faster, and would most certainly end him up in prison. Sometimes you just had to think of the bigger picture.

Wyntonian
2011-05-06, 05:56 PM
Lared was unconvinced. Sure, it sounded like a good job, but why was this little man so interested in a pointy plant? He voiced his thoughts " So, it's sharp in sunlight, and is abrasive. So what? If you tried to make a blade out of it, it would revert to moss the moment you sheathed it. And as an abrasive, well, there's plenty of things that don't require sending us deep into a forbidding, overgrown maze. And why must we stay so far away from it?

sean_hyer
2011-05-06, 06:56 PM
"Because someone is willing to pay us good money to do so. Why do we care what he wants with the plant?"

slaydemons
2011-05-06, 07:46 PM
"he wants the sticky stuff between the blades well then we going to keep asking questions or are you guys going to go." rory turned his back to the small halfling "We will bring it back here, I don't know the skills of these others but if their crazy enough to go into some sewers for some funky moss then I see no reason not to trust them as long as they give their word. I give my word now I will either get that moss or perish... unless some creatures eat it." he then began to walk away "someone should probably get a separate bag so we don't hurt ourselves before it relaxes."

Randel
2011-05-06, 10:47 PM
Lien

Lien nods as she listens to Mr. Irontouched describe the nature of the mission.

"Okay, let's clarify this. You, Mr. Nevek Irontouched are a weaponsmith and wish for a group of adventurous people to collect a pound of blade moss for you. It's pretty obvious you need this as an ingredient to craft something." She says this mostly to the others there who might question their employers motives. "We will most likely find it in the Dretch sewers (which might be full of monsters and dangers and whatnot) and the blade moss will be most easily identified by shining light on suspected patches and watching the actual moss attain its glistening sharp shell."

"You basically want someone to collect some blade moss for you." She says this as if its pretty straightforward (which it seems to be). "The only further questions I can think of regarding this would be:

1). How much will you be paying for this?

2). When do you need the blade moss brought back here? (In case we look around to see if anyone else needs something done in the area).

and

3). Did you say we might run into animated and possibly enchanted objects? As in we could all be stabbed or whacked by beanpoles, brooms or bric-a-brac?"

Lien looks curious about this, she always thought that the magic to animate things was too expensive to let the things wander around attacking people. Actually... Lien considers contacting a member of the army to get some better info on this potential outbreak of killer candlesticks or furious furniture.

Lien tries to recall if she's heard of blade moss before... or something similar since it could have different names in orcish, goblin, or draconic. Its a fair guess that Nevek wants it to use in crafting a weapon so she goes through her limited knowledge of weaponsmithing as well.

Bardic Knowledge (blade moss): [roll0]

Craft (weaponsmithing) (how would blade moss be used in weapons): [roll1]

She mainly looks for knowledge on how to find it, recognize it, any plants or animals associated with it... and how much a pound of it would cost and what other buyers there might be.

PollyOliver
2011-05-07, 12:35 AM
Marus stands silently while the others ask their questions, ceding the situation to the more experienced adventurers. Finally, though, he speaks up. His voice is quiet and precise, and he sounds more like a well-learned scholar than the bakers' boy from Appleton.

"I do believe that the others have asked all of my questions," he says softly, "except for one. Whence are these enchanted items originating? Does their appearance not suggest that someone is likely creating them? And should we not be more concerned of running into that someone than a single of one his enchantments--or of poking a few holes in a tenpenny sack?"

Wyntonian
2011-05-07, 01:26 AM
Lared remembers back to his training under his mentor, Alric Wayfarer, for any mention of this unusual moss.

Know (Nature) Check: 1d20+3=(18+3)= 21

sean_hyer
2011-05-07, 07:49 AM
Isidor raised his arm to Rory as he walked away. "Hold, spearman. Humans are so impatient."
Returning his attention to the halfling, he asked another question. "Have you a map, or some other form of directions to this fallen city?"

Egneil
2011-05-07, 01:31 PM
Nevek stared at his guests for a moment before moving away and looking through a chest in his bedroom. He continued to listen and answer questions.

"I'm not looking to make a blade out of the stuff, and as an abrasive, it's only outmatched by magic. As for your payment it'll be standard, 50 gold for a pound of low quality moss and 100 gold for high quality, split it however you like. If that's not enough for you, then you can keep whatever you find down there as the rest of your payment."

He returned to the table carrying a map case over his shoulder, "Yes, you are likely to come across some animated objects, although the army would have more information on what you'll encounter. Of course I doubt there's anyone actually making these things, the army says that they're more mindless than anything. Your scholarly friend their should know more than them anyway though," he said as he spread out a map of the city's territory. Marking a spot about a days walk from the city he continued, "This here is where the city of Dretch was located, it's a day's walk I know, but time is on your side. If you want to talk with the army, you should be able to find them at the north gate. You can keep the map and lantern if you want, I won't be needing it anymore."

Wyntonian
2011-05-07, 02:24 PM
"That's motivation enough for me" Lared says, shrugging. "I'm in. Let's go see what the army has to tell us."

PollyOliver
2011-05-07, 11:43 PM
"I am in as well," Marus says quietly, still pondering what sorts of strange forces might be operating in the ruins, to animate those objects. "And I agree that we should try to ask the army about what may be down there first."

sean_hyer
2011-05-08, 04:16 AM
"I'm in as well. But a question. How would the army, which concerns itself with the defense of this city, know what has been dwelling in the sewers of a city they last entered 20 years ago? I, for one, am more concerned about what lurks inside the sewers than what we might encounter along the way."
Isidor smiled confidently.
"So let's go see what does."

slaydemons
2011-05-08, 07:20 AM
rory sighed stopping as he was told to stop by the elf "why does it matter if there is enchanted objects down there, if their in our way we crush them its as simple as that."

chrisrawr
2011-05-08, 12:46 PM
Alnath stifles a yawn in the morning, eager to get on the road. Being in one place too long had always made him uneasy, though less so lately than his memories of home. Perhaps his curious, stubbornly insistent friend had something to do with that. Recent events aside, he took a moment to cleanse his mind and focus on the goal ahead, picturing the roads they'd need to travel in his mind. He'd been down a few before, on errands or small jobs, but others would be new paths to tread - something to celebrate, especially for the amount of... recompense... being offered. The possibilities of buying new clothes wouldn't directly fuel his cause, but they'd go a long way towards his comfort, and fitting in.

Lost in thought, he was glad when his splintered friend told him, "Move your behind, or get left behind!" With a slightly more confident spring to his step, Alnath begins after the others.

Taking 20 to gain psionic focus, and then assuming we're moving on shortly after he finishes.

Egneil
2011-05-08, 10:04 PM
After Lien takes the supplies offered by Nevek you leave his house to be greeted by the noon sun. After waiting for your oddly silent companion to finish what he was doing, you head off to speak with the army for information about what you might encounter.

As you approach the north gate you see what appears to be the army standing at attention. Even with the din of the city around you you can still hear the commander, "-you're all that stands in the way of this city and the creatures outside. Even if we drove away most of the largest ones, we must continue to be vigilant, lest the smaller ones start to get courageous," Seeing you approach he looks at his men, "You all know you duties, get to them."

With that the soldiers scattered to preform their tasks. The commander eyed Rory and Alnath for a moment before speaking, "Hello there strangers, I am Gierd Sparkstone, lieutenant of the Republic Army. I take it you're here to ask about this small reprieve?" He stood a full foot above the tallest of you, and his greenish skin betrayed his Orc heritage.

Randel
2011-05-09, 02:00 AM
Lien

Lien greets the lieutenant, "Lien Darkwood." bowing a little. "You were talking about creatures trying to get into the city?" she says referring to the little bit the group had overheard.

The bard opens the map to Dretch and shows it to the Lieutenant. "We're on our way to the ruins of Dretch." She points to the ruins "Or rather we've gotten a job that takes us there. Our employer mentioned that there may be animated objects along the path that we might have to deal with."

She turns to the Lieutenant, "Are these things seeking to attack the city?"

Egneil
2011-05-09, 01:01 PM
Gierd showed all of his teeth as he grinned at Lien's question,"Don't worry lass, there won't be if my troops are worth even half of what there payed. As for animated objects, the only one that's even a threat to the city is currently routed to the northern border. And the rest don't have the capability to threaten us," He said pointing to the other end of the map, a little over a week's travel by foot. Moving his hand away the orc seems to think for a moment before saying, "I take it that Irontouched fellow asked you to do this? Anyway, there shouldn't be anything animated over there. Unless a wanderer died over there and his sword wanted to stab a few folks."

sean_hyer
2011-05-09, 03:09 PM
Isidor paused, confused.
"I take it? Has he asked people to do this before? Or did he come to the army with a request?"
Waiting for a response, he thought to himself: please, please be the latter.

chrisrawr
2011-05-09, 04:39 PM
Waiting for the two to finish their conversation before asking, Alnath steps in for a few questions. "Have you any mind-movers in your army? I'm newer in town, as you can probably tell by my lack of a real job, and I've noticed your abundance of magic... but where are the Constructs? The Psions and the Travelers?" His voice is dusty from his recent activities, as he has no waterskin to replenish himself. Remember that Alnath isn't very charismatic; he may have tried to wait for the conversation between orc and companion to end, but there might have been more - and he's just interrupted. Yes, I'm giving you an excuse to make my character feel like dirt crap charisma ftl :F

Egneil
2011-05-09, 07:10 PM
Looking at the elf Gierd nods, "He came to my squad when the general said that all of the largest monsters were driven off, that was about three days ago. Nevek asked if I could spare some men for a job, I told him that I couldn't."

Upon hearing Alnath's question he turned to look at the strange human, "What the-? Mind-movers? Psionics? What in Thieruk's name are you talking about? And now that I'm on that subject, what are you? I mean you seem human, but you don't actually look like one."

chrisrawr
2011-05-09, 07:20 PM
Thinking quickly, Alnath replies, "I'm an elf, from a ways off. Mind-movers and Psionics are the magics of my people - magic here seems so common that I saw no reason why a few practitioners would be out of place. Very practical war magic, it can be." he finished with a cough.

[roll0]

Wyntonian
2011-05-09, 09:30 PM
Lared

Lared steps forward gracefully, slightly between the commander and Alnath. Is there anything else you can tell us about Mr. Irontouched, Lieutenant? Why did he go to the Army for a private concern, if it wasn't a threat to the city? Is it common for your soldiers to do off-duty jobs? We don't mean to insult your honor, if my question comes across as such, but we are somewhat unaware of your customs, and this may soon be a matter of life and death for us.

Egneil
2011-05-10, 11:14 AM
"Oh really? If you're an elf then what does that make your friend there?" Gierd said pointing at Isidor. Shaking his head he decided to answer Lareds questions, "No offense taken, and your questions are easy enough to answer. Firstly Mr. Irontouched is a decent man who's good with a hammer. On the battlefield though he would be more of a liability then anything. Secondly soldiers can take odd jobs while off-duty, but if there is any possibility of them having a conflict with their schedule because of it, then they must clear it with their superior. Now larger cities can afford to do this but we only have three squads in our army."

As a runner arrives at the north gate, Gierd dismisses you with a wave of his hand. Knowing that you won't get any more answers from him you head off towards Dretch, through the east gate. After about two hours of travel you come across a horseman traveling towards the city. Stopping you he introduces himself as Ruga and asks you about the job offering in Fenglue.

sean_hyer
2011-05-10, 01:01 PM
"Ruga, eh? I guess we should all introduce ourselves then. I am Isidor, a wanderer and sellsword. I'm afraid we have taken the job posted, and you'll likely find no one else there to accompany you. I doubt you would want to tackle it alone."
Looking pointedly at the bow and large hammer across the horseman's back, he smiled.
"But if you can use those things, you're welcome to join us. We could use another warrior. No disrespect to my comrades, but I'm not sure half of them know one end of a sword from t'other."

PollyOliver
2011-05-10, 01:13 PM
"I am Marus of Appleton, scribe and mage," says a young man in the clothing of a well-off tradesman. He has clear green eyes, short black hair, and a close-trimmed black beard and carries a crossbow slung on a loop of cloth over his shoulder and a quiver of bolts at his hip.

"I for one would welcome your help."

chrisrawr
2011-05-10, 02:48 PM
"Alnath, at your service." says Alnath. "Another hand is always welcome, when tasks need doing."

slaydemons
2011-05-10, 04:17 PM
rory gave a short head bow "I was decribed as spearman by someone here, so I'm a Spearmen named rory." he said looking at the newcomer

Wyntonian
2011-05-10, 05:35 PM
The hunter also nods to the newcomer, the baldric holding his quiver and bow shifting slightly. My name's Lared, and I'm a man of the bow. If you're willing to join us, and are agreeable, you're welcome. He nods grave appreciation at the quality of the man's horse.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-10, 07:32 PM
"That would be nice." Ruga answered. "It's been a while since me and Uaki here have had company." He adds, petting his horse.

Randel
2011-05-10, 10:12 PM
Lien

"Lien Darkwood, singer, historian, linguist, craftsman, occasional diplomat, dabbler in the arcane arts, and fairly decent with a crossbow if I should say so myself." She bows to the new arrival.

"I believe the general consensus here is that you should join us. That makes what... seven people to fetch a pound of moss?" She says this in a goodhearted way, as if noting how odd life can be at times. "Granted, it seems that blademoss is literally worth its weight in gold (or twice that if its the good stuff) so it only makes sense."

If everyone is ready, Lien leads the way to Dretch.

"Still, it would be prudent to keep an eye out for anything else on the way. With luck (good or bad) we should find something else on the trip to fill our wallets or tell about afterwards."

Egneil
2011-05-11, 09:43 AM
Having accepted the wanderer into your group you continue on to Dretch. Looking at the sun's position you suspect that you'll reach Dretch at nightfall. The plains around you was full of tall grass and few trees. The sun made it look almost peaceful contrary to it's normally hostile nature. After about the third hour of travel you notice a shining light off in the distance, approximately a hundred feet to the north-north-east. The tall grass is obscuring you view of it.

sean_hyer
2011-05-11, 10:56 AM
"Hush. You see that? To the left?"
Isidor draws his chain shirt over his head, and places it quietly on top of his backpack. Drawing a long knife from his belt, he whispers "I'm going to go check it out. Anyone else light on their feet may come, but most of us should carry on straight - so we have the element of surprise."
He turns towards the light, but then pauses. Holding up the small whistle in his other hand, he hisses "If you hear this, run towards it." Then he slips away.

Move silently: [roll0]

Hide: [roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-11, 12:32 PM
As you approach it you notice that it seems to be moving on it's own. You think that you might be able to identify it at 50 ft.

---
Spot DC at 50 ft: 13
Listen DC at 50 ft: 20
+5 DC for every additional 20 feet
-5 Spot DC if you're above the grass

Wyntonian
2011-05-11, 05:52 PM
Lared quickly strings his longbow as the Elf puts on his armor and ghosts forward with a hunter's skill. He slowly knocks an arrow, listening intently.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

PollyOliver
2011-05-11, 11:38 PM
Marus quietly loads his crossbow and takes a few steps toward the light, taking care not to get out in front of the stealthier members of the group

Hide [roll0] and move silently [roll1] if necessary, otherwise ignore. Moving toward the light, but staying behind Isidor and Lared.

Edit: wow, that was non-ideal

sean_hyer
2011-05-12, 10:02 AM
Note: I was actually taking off my armor, but still. Close enough :)

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

If I still cannot see anything, I continue to advance.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-12, 12:24 PM
Ruga, knowing his lack of stealth, continues to move forward on Uaki, loosing the ties on his hammer and hanging his bow on his pommel.

chrisrawr
2011-05-12, 01:22 PM
Alnath continues on his way, having no need to equip weapons and no wish for quarrel in the first place. If the glowing thing wants to glow, it can glow however it pleases.

Egneil
2011-05-12, 01:59 PM
As you wait in the grass you notice that it's an animated flail moving towards your group. Apparently knowing that it's been spotted, the flail prepares to drop it's earlier tactic. Standing on it's handle it charges Lared, and swinging wide it misses him completely.

chrisrawr
2011-05-12, 03:09 PM
Marveling at the novelty of such a thing, Alnath flings an ectoplasmic adhesive at it, hoping to root it for study.
[roll0], 1 Power Point. 3 Power Points remaining.

sean_hyer
2011-05-12, 03:46 PM
OOPS! Initiative is on the OOC board!
In that case I just do this when my turn rolls around.

"How the hell can we stop this thing?!"
Isidor leaps at the flail, trying to pin it down under his body.Initiative: [roll0]
Touch Attack: [roll1]
Grapple: [roll2]
Good rolls :smallsmile:

PollyOliver
2011-05-12, 03:52 PM
Marus quickly backs up as the flail comes rushing at them and fires his crossbow at it.

This happens after the flail's turn, I think (assuming that was the surprise round). But to keep things moving: move 30 feet away from the flail but not putting more than 80 feet between us. Then I shoot. [roll0] if it's still engaged in melee on my turn, otherwise +2 instead of -2. [roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-12, 04:57 PM
The flail easily dodges the ectoplasm and lashes out at Lared, striking him in the shin through his armor. Marus's bolt strikes the dirt to the left of the flail.

---
OoC
Attack roll: 18
Damage: 1 to Lared
See OoC thread for notes.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-12, 05:08 PM
Ruga knocks an arrow to his bow, but doesn't draw back yet. There were already several people around the weapon, and he didn't want to hit anyone.

readying an action to shoot at anything hostile that comes upon our group (basically, watching our backs while everyone wrestles a flail)

Wyntonian
2011-05-12, 05:42 PM
Lared drops his bow, draws his bastard sword from its sheath and swings two-handed at the animated weapon before him.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Wielding a bastard two-handed, I add twice my Strength mod to my damage, right? and does my BAB contribute to damage rolls, or just attack?

Randel
2011-05-12, 08:11 PM
Lien

"Its a weapon made of steel,
that comes crawling cross the ground.

Set to drink the blood of innocents anywhere they can be found.

An animated weapon that will kill without a thought.

So its time to show some action, boys and show it what we've got!"

Lien starts singing, practically by instinct as she sees the thing flailing at the group. She takes several steps back, readies her bow, and tries to figure out how to beat the thing while encouraging the others.

Using bard song, Inspire Courage to give everyone a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. (song is sung to the tune of the mob song from Beauty and the Beast)

she readies her bow to fire on the next turn and steps away from the flail.

Egneil
2011-05-12, 09:28 PM
Swinging his sword Lared misses the flail spectacularly, the blade sinking deep into the earth. Although he quickly freed it with deft pull. Ruga sees no threats on the horizon as Lien's song washes over the group. When Isidor leaps at the flail it tries to strike him, but the elf merely twists himself and grabs it.

Wyntonian
2011-05-12, 09:40 PM
Lared also leaps at the magical weapon, adding his strength and weight to Isidor's. He drops his sword to the ground as he does so, smiling inward at Lien's song.

Grapple attempt is unopposed, as the weapon is already in a grapple. So, on the check, [roll0]

slaydemons
2011-05-13, 07:09 AM
rory came in close and tried to stab at it with his distance he wasn't very good with the spear so he tried to hit it with the only way he knew how, pointy end goes into enemy.

Egneil
2011-05-13, 10:01 AM
The writhing of the flail prevented Rory from landing a hit, but he pulled back before hitting Isidor.

chrisrawr
2011-05-13, 06:25 PM
Alnath moves toward the flail, unwilling to expend more psychic energy on subduing it. Instead, he aims to aid Isidor with his own weight.

Ready an action to Aid Another if Isidor tries to pin or continue grappling.

PollyOliver
2011-05-13, 06:33 PM
Marus quickly fishes a pinch of iron from his belt pouch and begins murmuring to himself, moving his hands in a quick series of complicated gestures, marveling at the feeling of the magic coursing through his hands. He points at Isidor to release the spell and quickly reloads his crossbow.

I'm assuming it's my turn, since Alnath just went. Casting enlarge person on Isidor.

Egneil
2011-05-13, 08:19 PM
Alnath approaches the grappled flail and waits until he can aid Isidor. The flail misses Isidor as it swings itself at him, as Marus concentrates on his spell. Lared doesn't wait and simply throws himself on Isidor, grabbing another part of the flail in the process.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-13, 09:02 PM
Ruga guides Uaki over to the flail, hanging his bow up and drawing his hammer on the way.

sean_hyer
2011-05-14, 01:27 AM
Isidor gasps as he begins to expand. Looking over at the wizard, he shrugs and begins to pry the flail apart.

Enlarged: new grapple modifier = +2 (strength) +4 (size) +1 (BAB) +2 (aid another)

Grapple (pin): [roll0]
I am looking to pin it to the ground, with the chain (sunderable bit) spread between my giant hands.

Randel
2011-05-14, 03:31 PM
Lien

Lien watches as Isador and the others grapple the object and senses their plan is to sunder it or otherwise immobilise it.

She tries to recall some advice on how to break flails. Maybe its a case of finding the weakest link in the chain, or twisting it in the right way, or maybe breaking the part where the metal chain connects to the wooden handle...

Craft (weaponsmith): [roll0]
trying to figure out the best way to break a flail, hoping to provide a bonus to Isidors checks

Keeping up the song to help out, she skips

"We don't like things that don't like like us in return, they scare us.
And this thing is pretty hostile at the least.

Break its chain, crack the handle or just wrap it up and bury it
I'm certain that will slow it down at least.

I don't mean to be a drag but does someone have a bag?
Or not, screw it here's a cloak, I'm not sure if we can choke this thing
But I bet it'll have trouble with this rag."

She puts her crossbow down and quickly pulls off her outer cloak. Its pretty sturdy for cold weather and rain so it should be able to keep it wrapped up. She unfolds the cloak so that Isidor can drop the thing inside and then they can all wrap the thing up and keep it contained if they should choose to go that route.

Lien keeps up her singing for the bonus to attack and damage rolls (not sure if it helps with grapple, sunder, or strength checks.

She also tries a knowledge check to see if she can advise Isidor on how to break a flail. At the very least, they can use her cloak to wrap the thing up to contain it.

Egneil
2011-05-14, 04:02 PM
Uaki gives a little whine as he's still not use to battle, but is otherwise fine. Lien can't remember anything about flails as she continues singing. Isidor's now large form easily covers the head and hilt of the flail leaving the chain open to attack.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-14, 04:23 PM
Ride Check (DC 20): [roll0] to control mount in combat as move action
assuming I make that, Ride check (DC 5): [roll1] to guide with my knees

Ruga moves Uaki over to Isidor, and takes a two handed swing at the chains with his hammer.

assuming I managed to have a standard action to attack:
attack: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Wyntonian
2011-05-14, 04:53 PM
Lared also attacks the weapon, wielding his long blade with both hands and aiming for the weak point of the chain.

Attack: [roll0]

slaydemons
2011-05-16, 12:17 PM
Rory closed his eyes for a moment and became enveloped by a ring of fire then stabbed at the animated flail again

[roll0]
[roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-16, 02:23 PM
Within his mind Rory could feel Aym's power surge through him as he brought the spearhead down on the exposed chain. Even with the extra power Rory could only cause the tiniest of scratches.

chrisrawr
2011-05-17, 05:23 PM
OOC: Who's turn is it 0_o

Wyntonian
2011-05-17, 06:37 PM
OOC:

Alnath, followed by Marus. Sorry to break character.

chrisrawr
2011-05-17, 07:26 PM
Alnath withdraws a bit from the melee, realizing that the sight of a bunch of people jumping a mace may prove embarrassing. "We really need to find a way to secure or dispose of this thing."

PollyOliver
2011-05-17, 07:31 PM
Marus slings his crossbow back over his shoulder and edges in toward the fight, ready to help.

Moving in close and aiding another with whoever it is that's currently doing the wrestling/moving/pinning/whatever.

Egneil
2011-05-17, 09:08 PM
As Alnath moves away the flail tries to use it's slim design to escape, to no avail. Lared's attack is deflected off of the creatures magically reinforced chain. Uaki was easy enough to calm due to his training as a warhorse. Ruga's hammer cracks many links in the chain, but doesn't destroy it.

Wyntonian
2011-05-18, 08:41 PM
Lared batters again at the weapon, hoping to finish it quickly.

I'm not sure whose turn it is, but i'll keep it going. I had a post like this, but I couldn't get the roller working, so I just did a new one.

sean_hyer
2011-05-20, 01:22 PM
As the flail struggles madly, Isidor rests his not inconsiderable weight on its ends, keeping it pinned:
Grapple: [roll0]

Egneil
2011-05-21, 06:05 PM
Lien continues to sing while keeping her cloak open in case the others wish to use it. Isidor's increased mass and strength cause the flail to visibly sink into the dense soil of the grassland.

slaydemons
2011-05-23, 04:15 PM
Rory stabs at it again getting a little cheesed off at the thing for not dying

[roll0]
[roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-23, 06:28 PM
Again Rory swings down his spear glancing off of the side of a link.

chrisrawr
2011-05-23, 08:38 PM
Rolling his eyes, Alnath grabs the nearest backpack, shrugging it off of someone and holding it open. "Toss the thing in here and we'll be done with it for now," he says, "We can dent our weapons on it later as we please, or sell it to some young mage as a curio for far more gold than it's worth."

Wyntonian
2011-05-23, 10:52 PM
Lared attempts one last attack before the flail is shoved in the bag:

Damage:[roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-23, 11:13 PM
As Alnath spoke the flail uses it's sinuous form to escape from Isidor's pin, but it failed to move out of the way of Lared's bastard sword. Striking it in the chain Lared's blow shattered the links holding it together. For a moment it tried to put itself back together, but the magic that gave it movement faded away, leaving only a ruined flail.

---
OoC
Everyone gets 50 EXP
The ruined flail can be used as 26 SP for crafting purposes, or sold for half this. It's head weighs 3.5 lbs, and it's haft weighs 1.5 lbs.

Wyntonian
2011-05-24, 01:22 PM
Lared sheathes his sword and picks up his bow. "Does anyone want this?" He asks as he nudges the broken weapon with a toe of his boot. "Or can we continue?"

PollyOliver
2011-05-24, 01:24 PM
"I don't think I could use if for anything," Marus says. "I'll take it as a curiosity, but only if no one could make use." He shakes his head. "That was...interesting. I hope there are not too many more of those things."

Wyntonian
2011-05-24, 02:03 PM
Lared nods his head in agreement and bends down to massage the bone-bruise on his shin. "I don't suppose any of you magical types, can you?"

slaydemons
2011-05-24, 02:18 PM
"That, I don't want to see flails any more now damned thing wouldn't die." rory sighed moving away "I don't have healing power, I am sorry." he began to sit close to the man with the bone bruising looking at it

sean_hyer
2011-05-24, 02:50 PM
The now normal-sized Isidor retrieved his stuff and pulled his chain shirt back on.
"Marus, is it? That was... disconcerting. A chance you could warn me next time I'm about to grow?"

chrisrawr
2011-05-24, 07:10 PM
Alnath shrugs. "I can't do much right now. My travels took a lot out of me," he says, wryly.

PollyOliver
2011-05-24, 07:12 PM
"Sorry," Marus says to Isidor. "I wasn't sure what else to do. I'll tell you, next time."

Randel
2011-05-24, 07:31 PM
Lien

Lien stops singing and turns to the others. "Actually, I could fix that up." she says, holding out her hand. I've got some training with weaponscraft and (on a more immediate note) I've got a minor repair spell that should fix this up good as new. Eh, into a good inanimate new flail that we can use or sell."

If someone hands her the broken flail, she will cast 'Mending' on it twice to repair the broken chain. Further work might be needed to get it to full functionality, but she can do that later unless they need the flail now. She figures as long as all the pieces are in one place it should be easy to work on it later.

Putting her cloak back on, she looks at the road. "I don't know how far this thing traveled to get here... think there is a dead guy somewhere nearby who used to own this or did it come from a big battlefield or the city? Considering how annoying this thing was, I don't want to run into a big group of them if I can help it."

Lien ponders the situation... Nevek has mentioned that this blade moss was the best abrasive only outmatched by magic... would the halfling be willing to just pay her to use magic instead of fooling around with moss grown in dangerous abandoned sewers?

Egneil
2011-05-24, 08:33 PM
Continuing on through the plains, you see nothing of particular interest. Eventually you hear the sound of crickets as the sun strikes the horizon behind you. The sky starts it's normal change in color and all of the shadows become longer. When the sky starts to grow dark you notice the crumbling walls of Drask, from this distance you figure that it'll only take another hour to reach it.

chrisrawr
2011-05-24, 09:31 PM
"What harm's a little darkness? We'll carry torch close and travel warily. A safe place to sleep is better than the open any time."

Wyntonian
2011-05-24, 10:29 PM
"I'd feel a little safer away from that....place.... How about we find a somewhat covered spot around here and take turns on the watch?" Lared looks around for anywhere outside the walls that looks somewhat sheltered, like a grove of trees, some large rocks, or an overhanging natural formation.

Egneil
2011-05-25, 09:10 AM
Looking around Lared could see that there were no trees that were close enough together to provide shelter. Along the northern edge of the crumbling wall was a collapsed tower. It's stones were scattered loose enough that it could make a decent campsite, and the tower's base seemed like it would be a good vantage point for a watch.

ForzaFiori
2011-05-25, 02:13 PM
"Put aside your superstitions, your acting like an old woman. That tower there would be a perfect campsite Ruga says, before heading Uaki towards it.

chrisrawr
2011-05-25, 02:19 PM
"...Old women from my home are the leaders of my people."

slaydemons
2011-05-25, 02:57 PM
Rory simply followed the swordmen to the ruins where he would set up camphe let out a soft sigh and counted how many hours he had left with his power

sean_hyer
2011-05-25, 03:09 PM
"I'll watch through the eve and early morning. You humans can divvy the night up between you."

Rationale for this isn't just wanting to sleep solidly: I see only as well as a Human at night, but far better in dim light.

Wyntonian
2011-05-25, 06:20 PM
"Fair enough. Wake me up once it gets too dark for you. Now let's sleep. I'm tired, and I'm sore and I just want rest." With that, Lared rolls himself in his bag near the base of the tower, his sword and bow near to hand, and closes his eyes.

PollyOliver
2011-05-25, 06:33 PM
Marus lays out his bedroll, puts his crossbow and bolts near to hand in case there is trouble, and then wraps himself in his cloak and goes to sleep.

chrisrawr
2011-05-25, 07:44 PM
I'll take first watch," Alnath says, "I'd like to climb the tower, see the lands as such in the dim light. I'll probably sleep up there, if second watch doesn't mind?"

Randel
2011-05-26, 01:07 AM
"The top of the tower looks like a nice place to rest." Lien says as she looks over the building. She fluffs up her backpack like a pillow and prepares to rest under the stars. "Let me know when it's my turn to take watch."

Egneil
2011-05-26, 07:11 AM
By the time you arrive the sun had already sank below the horizon, casting it's glow only around it's edge. The tower itself was easy enough to climb, most of it wasn't eight feet tall. With the rest of his companions settling in for the night Alnath takes the first watch, planning to wake Lared for the second. Most of the night passes uneventfully, Lared thought he say the grass move in the distance but it was hard to tell. After waking Lien for the third watch he returns to sleep.

---
OoC
Lien rolls a search check for both hours of watch.

Randel
2011-05-27, 08:56 PM
No ranks in Search and no int bonus

hour 1:[roll0]
hour 2:[roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-27, 10:51 PM
Near the end of Lien's first hour a of watch she spotted some movement in the grass at the edge of her vision. Straining her eyes she did the best she could following it as it moved, but at that distance it was nearly impossible to see. A small gust of wind ruffled causing her to lose track of it. Unsure of what it was she became more alert, looking for where it might appear next. A few minutes later she heard the clanking of metal much closer to where she was.

Randel
2011-05-28, 04:59 PM
Line quickly wakes the other companions, shaking them awake so as not to alert any creatures outside of the tower.

"Quick, wake up there's something metal making noises outside!" She tells Lared in hushed tones as she shakes him awake.

Once she wakes up Lared, she rushes to the entrance of the tower and checks to see if there is a door to barricade or otherwise keep whatever is outside from coming inside. If there is then she blocks the door, if not then she wakes up the others.

PollyOliver
2011-05-28, 06:17 PM
Marus rolls out of his blankets and grabs his crossbow, quickly fitting a bolt to it and cranking it back. He looks around for any sign of danger.

Spot [roll0] listen [roll1]

Wyntonian
2011-05-28, 08:08 PM
Lared also readies himself, stringing his longbow, slinging his quiver over his shoulder and buckling his sword belt. He looks about as he does so, and listens intently.

Spot Check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]

Egneil
2011-05-28, 08:22 PM
As Marus is loading his crossbow the creature comes into view. It's rotted flesh can be seen through the rusted and torn holes of it's scale armor, the right arm is limp with the weight of it's rotted wooden shield. About 30 feet away from the tower it stops for a moment seeming to grasp at Lien.

---
Only Lien, Lared, and Marus are awake. DC: 10 Listen check to wake up. This takes a move action to preform, if there is a loud noise then it's only a free action.
Initiative:
The Undead:[roll0]
Marus: [roll1]
Rory: [roll2]
Lien: [roll3]
Alnath: [roll4]
Isidor: [roll5]
Lared: [roll6]
Ruga: [roll7]

slaydemons
2011-05-29, 12:41 AM
Rory woke up and grabbed his spear he didn't have his armor and his hand was covered by his spear now as he was wearing normal clothes to sleep in, he then readies himself for any kind of attack.

[roll0]

sean_hyer
2011-05-29, 04:22 AM

Isidor still sat peacefully in his trance-state, unaware of the minor commotion going on outside.

Randel
2011-05-29, 10:32 PM
Lien backs away from the zombie and begins singing, readying her crossbow to attack once she's warned the others.

Tapping her shoe on the ground to a beat, she starts singing to wake up her allies and inspire them to beat the zombie on the lawn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ).

"Bard power.

1 2 3

There's a zombie on our lawn!
We don't want zombies on our lawn.

Its got stuff, rotten armor and shield.
Carried it from its pit out there in the field.
And now it wants to eat the flesh of everybody in here! (Noo!)

I'm just a bard, its true and plain to see.
But watch me wake the infantry.

It wants to eat our brains.
We don't like zombies!"

Technically starting bard music is a standard action but I don't want people to think I'm just singing and not doing anything to solve the problem. So if I can attack then here's my roll.

Crossbow attack: [roll]1d20+2
Crossbow damage: [roll0]

Wyntonian
2011-05-29, 11:45 PM
Lared draws back his heavy longbow, and fires an arrow at the approaching undead, aiming for its unbeating heart.

slaydemons
2011-05-30, 12:41 AM
Rory used his spear's long shaft to hit the zombie from afar

[roll0][roll1]

PollyOliver
2011-05-30, 12:43 AM
Marus fires his crossbow at the creature and then reloads.

[roll0] [roll1]

chrisrawr
2011-05-30, 01:02 PM
[roll0], -10 for sleeping, but the check to hear battle is -5, so I need a 5.

Alnath startles awake and looks around. "What's all this racket about?"

Egneil
2011-05-30, 02:11 PM
Rory could only stand up before Lared's arrow strikes the undead. As the arrow penetrates it's armor, it unleashes a scream of rage. It deflects Marus's bolt with a quick rise in it's shield.

---
Everyone's next listen check from initiative 14 is a free action.
The undead used an immediate action at the end of Lared's turn to activate an ability.
Current initiative is Alnath's at 14.

chrisrawr
2011-05-31, 12:08 AM
((OOC: Alnath doesn't know what's going on. You guys are going to have to fill him in; he just woke up and the man needs his beauty sleep - spending the night in the land of dreams isn't exactly restful.))

ForzaFiori
2011-05-31, 02:43 PM
Listen Check: [roll0]

Assuming Ruga wakes up:

Ruga jumps to his feet, grabbing his hammer as he moves to the zombie, swinging for the head

attack:[roll1]
damage: [roll2]

Egneil
2011-05-31, 07:57 PM
Ruga could only approach the undead before Lien started singing. Seeming to not have noticed you it charges, giving Ruga a chance to swing his hammer. The ghoul twisted itself out of the way, dodging the strike. Passing by Isidor it snapped it's jaws at Alnath, who easily dodges. Grabbing his spear Rory takes a swing at it, striking it's armor.

---
Initiative is Isidor's at 17.
Lien's song gives another listen check as a free action.

chrisrawr
2011-05-31, 08:16 PM
"Whoah there, what's this? He doesn't look too good."

sean_hyer
2011-06-01, 06:23 AM

Isidor starts awake. Around him is noise and chaos, as his companions attack a strange humanoid in armor. Springing to his feet away from him, he cries
"What is it? Are we under attack?"

Wyntonian
2011-06-02, 05:57 PM
Assuming I can talk as a free action:

"Wake up, elf! It's a zombie! get up!"

Randel
2011-06-02, 09:21 PM
Lien continues singing while keeping an eye on the undead, with the others waking up then she can focus on the monster. She moves to get a clear shot at the zombie and then fires her crossbow at it.

PollyOliver
2011-06-02, 10:01 PM
Whenever it's Marus' turn:

Marus backpedals away from the foul creature and fires off another shot.

"What is it?" he shouts at no one in particular.

If it's within 60 feet or so of Marus, move back to 80 ft. and then shoot. If it's further, shoot and reload.

Including the IC bonus
[roll0]
[roll1]

ForzaFiori
2011-06-02, 10:23 PM
Ruga, undaunted by the... things dodging of his attack, moves in behind it (Pretty sure it'd be behind it, since it moved by. If not, then whichever side is closest. I don't want an AoO just to get behind it) and takes another swing.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

chrisrawr
2011-06-02, 10:52 PM
Alnath hesitates another moment, before focusing on the desiccated man's forehead. After a couple seconds, a smoldering appears.

1 PP, 1 fire damage, concentration if attacked 1d20+7

sean_hyer
2011-06-05, 11:57 AM
Drawing two daggers from his belt, Isidor darts in towards the zombie, slashing as he approaches.

Egneil
2011-06-05, 07:51 PM
Isidor's blades glance off of the creature's scale armor, flaking off rust in process.

PollyOliver
2011-06-05, 11:49 PM
On Marus' turn.

Marus steps a bit closer and flings one hand forward toward the creature, shouting, acid spraying from his palm.

Acid splash [roll0] vs. touch AC, [roll1] damage.

Wyntonian
2011-06-06, 07:32 PM
Lared drops his bow, drawing the sword from his belt. He moves as he does so, standing in front of the strange man.

Move action to draw bastard sword and move in front of Alnath, if the zombie is still in arm's reach then i'll attack, otherwise ready action to attack in if it enters my reach.

Egneil
2011-06-06, 08:38 PM
Lared reaches the edge of the tower before his bow clatters on the ground. Jumping down the eight feet, he hit the ground moving. Drawing his sword as approached the ghoul, Lared swung at it's head. Dodging to the left it screams as it's head reddens and a bolt strikes it in the torso. With a swipe of it's shield the ghoul batters away Ruga's hammer and deflects Lien's bolt. The ghoul snaps it's jaws at Alnath, who dodges to the right, allowing the ghoul to rake it's claws across Alnath's arm.

---
The ghoul makes a full attack action and misses with it's bite attack. The shield in it's right hand prevents it from using both it's claws.
Alnath takes 5 points of damage and must make a Fortitude save to prevent paralysis. EDIT: The save is charisma based.
Rory, and Ruga receive flanking from Isidor.
Alnath is unarmed and doesn't provide flanking for Lared.
Rory has the initiative at 18.

slaydemons
2011-06-07, 01:50 PM
Rory stabs at the beast again still unsure of what he is even attacking it smelled like butt to him

[roll0]
[roll1]

chrisrawr
2011-06-07, 01:53 PM
Alnath tries to cry out in pain and shock, but his body clenches in paralysis, the gouge on his arm bleeding badly. He feels his focus sliding away, as the matrices of his power unravel. His psicrystal, unable to aid, remains silent.

PollyOliver
2011-06-07, 02:30 PM
Marus pulls a pat of butter from his pouch and smears it between his fingers, muttering the words of a spell under his breath and then backing away.

Casting grease under the ghoul and positioning so it's not under party members, DC 15, and then moving away. If I can't cast it without affecting party members, reloading the crossbow and shooting [roll0] [roll1], not factoring in the penalty if it's in melee.

sean_hyer
2011-06-07, 03:02 PM
Isidor snarled as he saw his near-kin fall to a blow from the creature's talons.

Cursing in elvish, he stepped forwards and swung with both knives:

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

edit:
Critical confirmation: 1d20+4

sean_hyer
2011-06-07, 03:03 PM
Hmm. Can't do it in an edit. Sorry for the double post.

[roll0]

ForzaFiori
2011-06-07, 05:31 PM
Ruga curses as his hammer doesn't hit again. Seeing the thing distracted by Isidor, Ruga swings again at the back of it.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Egneil
2011-06-08, 10:20 AM
Rory's spear glances off the side of it's armor, throwing rust and scales into the air. The ghoul ducks Isidor's first blade allowing him to plunge the second one into it's skull. Pulling his blade out Isidor saw that the ghoul seemed unfazed by the attack.

---
Current damage dealt 14.
Lared's initiative at 15.
Flanking bonuses are unchanged.

Wyntonian
2011-06-10, 06:30 PM
Lared steps around the zombie, placing it between himself and Ruga. He then takes another swing at it, aiming for the neck.

sorry about that, my damage should be 1d10. I'll reroll it in the ooc thread.

Egneil
2011-06-10, 08:07 PM
Taking a quick step to the left of the ghoul, Lared swings his blade and severs it's head sending it away in an arc. Still seeming to be a threat Ruga strikes it in the side with his hammer. Crushing bones it causes the ghoul to become limp and fall to the ground motionless.

After a few seconds Alnath finds himself able to move again.
---
The ghouls is destroyed so 100 EXP for everyone.
You can salvage from the armor 83 SP of crafting material.
The shield gives you 12 SP worth of crafting material.
The body also has a coin pouch with 1 platinum, 4 gold, 13 silver, and 20 copper pieces.

chrisrawr
2011-06-11, 12:19 AM
Alnath collapses after his muscles unfreeze, as he'd stopped consciously trying to move.

sean_hyer
2011-06-11, 06:24 AM
Isidor looks around, shaken.
"What was that thing? I shoved a knife through its skull and it didn't even flinch! "
Despite his confusion, his body goes about the routine motions of carefully cleaning his knives and replacing them at his belt.
"Alnath, are you all right? I saw you fall, but you don't seem too hurt."

slaydemons
2011-06-11, 11:34 AM
rory still stabbed at the location of it, its dead body most likely "so what are we stabbing?" he asks questioningly still unable to see what he was fighting he then decided to think about what he was doing and set off his ring of fire to illuminate the area

ForzaFiori
2011-06-11, 01:33 PM
After the ghoul drops, Ruga removes any valuables from it's head before crushing it. "Just in case. Wanna make sure it doesn't get up." he explains.

chrisrawr
2011-06-11, 02:05 PM
"I'm fine, Isidor, but I'd best get this gash looked at." Alnath grimaces, "Judging by the smell of that thing, I'm probably infected with a dozen diseases, not to mention whatever it did to my body."

Randel
2011-06-11, 05:50 PM
Lien stops singing right after the creature falls down and Ruga crushes its head.

"Okay, quick listen check, guys." she says now that the fighting is over. Lien stays silent and listens for any signs of other things moving out in the dark.

Assuming she doesn't hear any signs of other things crawling in the darkness, she turns to her allies and tries to help them out, particularly focusing on Alnath.

"Here, let me see if I can help you." She tries to check Alnaths wounds... although she hasn't had any training in medicine it really can't hurt to try.

As she works, she says off-hand. "Don't think me cowardly (or go ahead and do so, fight or flight does provide retreat as an option for survival) but we could technically gather up the stuff from this dead... thing... and head back to town. I can fix up what we got so far, we rest up, and then have another go at it later."

Lien tries a heal check on Alanath to treat any disease he might have picked up.

Untrained Heal check: [roll1]

If she has any cantrips available to cast (think I used up both my mending castings to repair the flail) then she will use one cast of Prestidigitation to help clean any wounds or grime the group got from fighting the ghoul. One hour of prestidigitation should give enough time to clean up the whole group and maybe clean the gear they pick off the ghoul.

Once that is done then maybe a Detect Magic on the area to see if there are lingering magic curses or whatnot... Liens not an expert in magic but she figures undead or animated objects or curses could have glowey magical auras.

PollyOliver
2011-06-11, 06:04 PM
Marus bends in to take a look at the wounds as well.

"Maybe we should at least clean those out," he says, holstering his crossbow. "I'm not much of a healer, but I could give it a shot...."

[roll0] heal

chrisrawr
2011-06-11, 06:27 PM
Alnath grimaces with pain. "Maybe it's best we get these looked at by a professional. For now, I'll just bind it." He strips off a length of cloth from his cloak, and after it's been cleaned by Lien, he wraps it tightly around his arm.

Wyntonian
2011-06-11, 06:52 PM
"I've actually got some first aid training. It helps more than you'd think in the wild. If you'd like, I'd help patch you up."

Heal check:[roll0]

Egneil
2011-06-11, 09:11 PM
As you go about your tasks you hear nothing out of the ordinary. The cricket's continue their chirping and the flames embracing Rory light up the surroundings. Lien's mistake in patching up Alnath didn't cause much harm and was easily fixed by Lared. Pointing the wound at the light he noted that it wasn't that dangerous and put a dressing on it that would promote scabbing.
---
Normally you only recover two points of lethal damage with a heal check, but because of Lared's roll Alnath can convert an extra point into three points of non-lethal damage.

chrisrawr
2011-06-12, 10:44 PM
"Thank you, Lared." Alnath says quietly. "I think I'm going to sleep, now. Wake me for our planning, tomorrow. My vote's for carrying on, but I'll see if I can't be swayed in the morning."

PollyOliver
2011-06-12, 10:49 PM
Marus nods and stumbles back to his bedroll, laying his crossbow down next to him again.

Egneil
2011-06-13, 11:19 AM
Returning to sleep Rory took watch followed by Isidor as dawn approached. Nothing of interest happened for the remainder of the night. When dawn arrived you could still see the moon hanging close to the horizon. After the sun fully rises Lared wakes up to finish tending to Alnath's wound.

---
It still takes a while for a wound to close so Alnath takes the non-lethal damage at the end. Which means that he couldn't recover any of it over night.

PollyOliver
2011-06-13, 11:25 AM
As the sun rises, Marus pulls out his spell book and concentrates on memorizing his spells for the day.

slaydemons
2011-06-13, 03:37 PM
"excuse me I need to.... do some morning business far away." rory said his fire ring extinguished long ago as he trudged a long distance away from sight and sound his stuff with him.

Egneil
2011-06-13, 04:47 PM
Following the wall clockwise Rory finds a patch of overgrown grass and vines. the crumbling wall could block off sight from the way he came, and the distance he traveled would make it impossible for his binding to be heard. After a quick check of his mind he finds no trace of the pact he made with Aym.

slaydemons
2011-06-13, 04:58 PM
he clears some of the over growth so he could make the five foot circle with a stick. as he finishs he concentrates for about a full minute to call forth aym once more for her power when he summons her they have a game where they must say a word that ends with the last letter of what the other said he won not long and bound her soul to his own, then promptly erasing the marking on the ground well and walking back to where everyone else was

this is for the binding check also I want the sign still on my hand
[roll0]

sean_hyer
2011-06-14, 10:11 AM
Stirring from his vigil at the top of the watchtower, Isidor lays a fire.
"After I cook my meal, I'll enlarge the blaze to consume that... thing. Just in case."

ForzaFiori
2011-06-14, 12:54 PM
Ruga stops Rory just before he reaches the others. "Could I have a word? In private? I'd like to know how you set yourself on fire last night."

chrisrawr
2011-06-14, 03:34 PM
"So long as you hood the fire," Alnath says to Isidor, "So the smoke doesn't poison anyone." With a sad chuckle, he adds, "I'd been tasked with disposing of a friend's faulty experiment once, it ended up much like this, but with no souled being at its base. Just parts, cobbled together from the air and dirt, and given the gift of movement. We burned it, and its ashes poisoned our birds, its remains poisoned a river, and its scent poisoned our moods... We'd almost be better burying it deep, if anyone has a shovel?"

slaydemons
2011-06-14, 04:22 PM
he looked at the warrior for a moment and then tilted his head he said in a calm tone "I don't know myself, I kind of just willed it and it was there I honestly don't know how I did it. I think I was born with it... if that not how I got it this power then I don't know how I did." he looked down a bit showing that he was ashamed he didn't have more control over it even though even though he had complete control he was acting this all

ForzaFiori
2011-06-14, 05:32 PM
"Interesting. Well, I can't say that I haven't seen stranger things, but the same might not be true in a big city. People see that, they might think your a demon." Ruga says with a laugh.

slaydemons
2011-06-14, 05:46 PM
"they might indeed, I thought in the heat of battle no one would notice so." he shrugged and began to head back with ruga

sean_hyer
2011-06-17, 12:48 PM
Careful to stand upwind of the fire, Isidor tossed the stripped and headless body onto it. As the flames began to lick upwards, he went to fetch the remnants of the head as well.
"Whoever you were, may your soul now rest in peace."

ForzaFiori
2011-06-17, 01:33 PM
"Rest in peace indeed. Ruga says as he comes up on the fire. He waves his hand in front of his nose. Gods, that's a disgusting smell. I say we head out, before it sets into everything we own.

slaydemons
2011-06-17, 02:05 PM
"that's the one smell I never want to get used to." he sighed and picked up his stuff and began to put on his armor

chrisrawr
2011-06-17, 09:03 PM
Alnath stands well away from the fire as it burns. When the other regroup, he speaks. "I need the money this will bring. My vote is we carry on and see what spoils these sewers have for us. Regardless, I will carry on myself"

ForzaFiori
2011-06-17, 11:32 PM
"I have no plans of passing up the possibility of money. Besides, I doubt much in the sewers will be worse than that." Ruga says as he dons his armor and mounts Uaki. "Now then, who knows where these sewers are?"

PollyOliver
2011-06-17, 11:34 PM
Marus, brushing the crumbs of breakfast from his shirt, stands up and joins the others. He slings his crossbow from his shoulder.

"I'm not sure where," he says. "But regardless, I vote we keep on as well."

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 12:06 AM
"I am probably useless by myself, so lets keep going." he smiled lightly and leaned on his spear lightly like a walking stick since it had a long shaft

Egneil
2011-06-18, 04:43 PM
Having finished preparing to enter Dretch, your group enters through a break in the nearby wall. Looking around you see the ruins that you expected. Houses covered in plants, and holes in their walls showing rooms with upturned furniture. Debris litter the streets, stones crunch under your feet as you walk. Clumps of dirt glisten with liquid as the thatching from the roofs continue to decay. As the wind blows through the streets dust gets pulled into small, tiny tornadoes that die quickly. You know that you can enter the sewers from the grates in the streets, but if you want to bring Uaki you will have to find a larger entrance.

---
Knowledge Architecture, Dungeoneering, or Geography is needed to find a larger entrance. Untrained checks won't work for this purpose and Bardic Knowledge takes a -3 penalty.
A search check may be used but it'll take two hours to do. The knowledge check is instant.

chrisrawr
2011-06-18, 05:29 PM
"Has anyone the slightest on where we might start looking? My best guess is to follow the roads that don't lead to houses."

ForzaFiori
2011-06-18, 08:18 PM
"Most cities keep an entrance to the sewers near their barracks" Ruga remembers. The baracks should be on the edge of town, since they need to be able to get out quickly. I couldn't really tell you left or right from here though. Best guess would be to find a gate though." He adds.

slaydemons
2011-06-18, 11:44 PM
"I say we go with what that man said, I didn't live in the city I wouldn't know these things at all." he scans the houses with a quick sweep of the eyes before entering the breach "too bad I am no mason."

sean_hyer
2011-06-19, 06:35 AM
Isidor surveys the houses of the town disinterestedly.
"Seeing as this city has been deserted, I reckon no-one will care if we take whatever we find. Assuming earlier looters have left us anything. Lead on."
A thought seems to strike him.
"How will a horse fare in the sewers?"

ForzaFiori
2011-06-19, 07:12 AM
"Depends on how big the sewers are. These main entrances are designed to allow large squads through to clear out oozes though, so I think he'll at least make it that far. Figured I'd cross that hurdle when I got to it." Ruga answers casually. Now than, anyone see a barracksy-like building?"

chrisrawr
2011-06-19, 03:15 PM
My grandmother died this morning (Sunday, June 19, 2011). I'm going halfway across the country to her funeral, and will be largely unable to post for the next week. Sorry for the inconvenience. If the need arises, DMPC me as Sherlock Holmes mixed with Ang the Avatar but minus the pacifism and with less fisticuffs.

Wyntonian
2011-06-19, 08:11 PM
Lared looks at his surrounding warily. "And I thought big cities were bad with lots of people in them...." He strings his bow and sets an arrow on it. "Would it help to split up? perhaps two groups, rejoining here at midday? I have a signal whistle, if anyone else does we can stay in contact that way."

sean_hyer
2011-06-20, 06:10 AM
"I have a signal whistle as well. But I think it's a better idea to just walk along inside the wall. Splitting up just means taking longer to get to the entrance because we have to meet up again."

PollyOliver
2011-06-20, 11:40 AM
Marus looks around at their surroundings somewhat apprehensively.

"Yes," he says, hefting his crossbow. "I vote we stay together."

slaydemons
2011-06-20, 01:05 PM
"I agree with marus, though splitting up covers more ground sticking together makes it safer." he said with a small nod

Egneil
2011-06-20, 01:59 PM
Staying close to the wall for as long as you can, you start your search. After about ten minutes, and your third time going around a building, you come across an unusual warehouse. It's stone walls are unpainted and in much less disrepair. On the side is a much smaller room with a roof that slants at a 25 degree angle until it meets the ground.

Taking a look at the ruined skyline behind you, you notice a three-story tall building with a wall covered in vines and moss. Dust falls away as you hear crunching stones and the breaking of rotten timbers. It seems to shrink a few feet before it collapses.
----
The building will collapse in three rounds, you have until then to find suitable cover.
The debris around you prevent you from preforming a run action, unless you succeed on a DC 14 Balance check for x3 run speed or a DC 20 Balance check for x4. Failure means you fall prone.
All the buildings around you seem to be too dilapidated to provide cover.
Anyone trained in Knowledge architecture can make a check to find cover as a free action. Bardic Knowledge cannot be used.
Initiative:
Marus: [roll0]
Rory: [roll1]
Lien: [roll2]
Isidor: [roll3]
Lared: [roll4]
Ruga: [roll5]
Uaki: [roll6]
Alnath: [roll7]
The Building: 0

Randel
2011-06-20, 03:53 PM
"Its gonna blow! I mean fall. I mean um... go back." Already being a bit nervous about the place, Lien was already on the lookout for anything when the building started collapsing. Once it starts, she turns around in the direction they came from, planning to get back around a corner or otherwise avoid the dust and debris.

Balance:[roll0]
Hide (to try and get cover wherever possible):[roll1]
Listen (listen if there are other threats): [roll2]

Edit: Lien trips and falls. "Okay... be safer to take it slow.".

ForzaFiori
2011-06-20, 05:03 PM
Ruga calls out "The building is coming down! Get back!" before guiding Uaki down the street as fast as is safe.

moving 50' down whichever road seems to lead away from the building in the straightest path.

sean_hyer
2011-06-21, 07:36 AM
Balance: [roll0]

Isidor darts to Lien's side to help her away.
"Everyone look around! This could be the start of an attack!"

slaydemons
2011-06-21, 10:08 AM
Rory attempts leave the crumbling building as soon as possible following after Ruga since he seemed to be going the safest route

(This part I might get confused should I be able to move my move speed since I am not wearing heavy armor and easily follow Ruga?)

PollyOliver
2011-06-21, 10:46 AM
Marus doesn't run, but follows Ruga as fast as he can otherwise.

Moving double my speed back away from the building with Ruga.

Wyntonian
2011-06-21, 03:34 PM
Lared jogs after the horseman, picking his way through the rubble and carefully keeping his bow out of the way.

Move action to move at my full speed twice, following Ruga.

Egneil
2011-06-22, 01:51 PM
Seeing as the building was falling towards the wall, you start heading back the way you came. When Lien tried to run the debris in the street shifted and and made her fall. The remainder of the group moves at a slower pace save Isidor, who takes the shifting rubble into account and darts back to Lien. Grabbing her shirt and arm, he practically drags to where the group is.

Looking back, you notice the building breaking apart as it falls. As it's structure is being ripped apart by an unknown force. Drifting apart, it's pieces seem to be following you as you move through the streets.

---
The building's rubble will follow you from above the streets. You can outrun it, but you'll need to move at least 100ft a round for complete safety.
Cover will also prevent damage and give you safety.
Lien is still prone and must use a move action to stand. Effectively Lien was being dragged by Isidor and was using her movement to prevent damage.
The balance check is need for every round you plan to run.

ForzaFiori
2011-06-22, 06:22 PM
spot check (for stable building/shelter): [roll0]
Uaki's balance check: [roll1]

IF spot is high enough to find shelter:
Ruga gives Uaki a quick kick, speeding up and heading for the shelter while motioning the others to him.

IF spot is NOT high enough to find shelter:
Ruga continues to move down the street, looking left and right for someplace to take cover. If someone else finds cover, he'll head towards it.

Randel
2011-06-22, 11:28 PM
Lien scrambles to her feet and thanks Isidor as she starts walking carefully through the area. While at first she figured the building was just falling naturally and they would only have to deal with some smoke and debris being flung towards the sides. However, she sees the debris moving... unnaturally.

"Thank you, um... is that stuff moving? Is this whole city made of animated rubble?!"

Lien looks ahead and walks toward the others, slow but steady. She keeps an eye out for any terrain that isn't full of debris.

"No need to be afraid.
Don't be terrified.
We can all get through this by eachothers side.

We've run into walking weapons
and a ravenous undead.

But we can get through all of this if we just keep out heads!

This crawling trash! Its all insane!
Like this whole city got zapped by voodoo rays from outer planes.

So lets all go take a walk and make our way down a safe path.
Its just the proper thing to do, we can figure out the math.

Its not so baaad
Don't be afraaid
Once we get a plan to get through this
I'm sure we'll have it made.

Though rocks and plants and corpses try to hurt us all the time,
some confidence could help out here so here I've got a rhyme.

It'll be alright. We will survive!

As long as we fight together we can all get out alive."

Lien sings, not exactly sure of herself but hoping it will somehow inspire some courage or competence or otherwise help everyone. At the very least it keeps her mind away from the fear that this whole city is full of animated rubble.

Get up as a move action and she walks with the others with a standard/move action.

She's singing but I don't think she can inspire competence in balance checks yet. Though some courage might help if anything starts attacking the group.

sean_hyer
2011-06-23, 05:48 AM
Isidor glances back over his shoulder at the collapsing rubble.
"What in Larethian's name?"

Still running, he heads down the street, away from the building.

PollyOliver
2011-06-23, 09:53 AM
Marus tries to run after the others.

[roll0] Okay, running after the others if that's a high enough check. At x3 that should be 180 ft, plus the 60 from last round gives 240 so far.

slaydemons
2011-06-23, 10:12 AM
"I am going to try to leave the city the way we came."he then turns a corner heading back around the way they came

Wyntonian
2011-06-26, 11:07 AM
Lared continues to run, picking his way over the rubble, and occasionally looking over his shoulder at the advancing mass.

Double move action, following Uaki.

sean_hyer
2011-06-28, 05:07 AM
Isidor continues scrambling over the ruble.

However, his elven agility is not quite enough, as his foot snags on a bit of rubble. Rolling into a ball, he waits for the rubble to come down.

PollyOliver
2011-06-28, 10:16 AM
Eh, my luck and the building would fall on his head. I guess I take my chances with running.

Marus runs across the uneven ground as fast as he can without risking falling.

Double move away from the falling stuff, putting me at 210, I think.

slaydemons
2011-06-28, 11:08 AM
Rory begins to hurry his movement not wanting to get trapped under some big rocks

(takes double move just like marus now at 120ft.)

Randel
2011-06-28, 02:31 PM
Lien moves quickly following the others (making double move actions).

Realizing that this entire situation is hopeless, stupid, and contrived, Lien briefly imagines strangling that little halfling weapon-smith with her bare hands. This image of vengeance gives her just enough focus to look past the fear and run through the debris.

"I swear to whatever dark gods or entities are out there that I'm going to kill that ******* if I get out of this!"

got a 15 on a balance check in the OOC thread. Moving at the maximum possible speed to escape the rubble.

chrisrawr
2011-06-28, 02:54 PM
Alnath struggles to keep from tripping on the rubble, psicrystal egging him on with thoughtful encouragements. He'd relied far too much on his powers to travel in the past - it was humiliating and embarrassing, now, to be reduced to scrabbling like an animal.

ForzaFiori
2011-06-28, 04:11 PM
Ruga reins in Uaki to keep him from tripping, leading him through the rubble at a slower pace.

taking a double move to go 100' further down the road

Wyntonian
2011-06-29, 11:50 PM
Lared breaks into a full sprint, attempting to outrun the last chunks of rubble.

Using the run action to move 90 ft.

Egneil
2011-06-30, 10:09 PM
The ground quakes as the building's remains collapse around you. The rotten wood splinters as it hits the ground, while the stones shatter apart. Their shrapnel propelled towards you by an unknown force.

---
There was a buffer zone between 180~210 feet where you had a 50% chance to be hit with either the larger or smaller debris. Only Isidor and Ruga are outside this buffer. I've already rolled for everyone and the results was the lighter debris.
Reflex save for the lighter debris (Everyone except Isidor and Ruga); DC 10, negates damage.
Reflex save for the heaver debris (Isidor); DC 14, prevents burial and half of the damage is non-lethal instead.

PollyOliver
2011-06-30, 10:15 PM
As the building starts to crash down, Marus uses the last of his speed to launch himself into a roll, trying to clear the debris coming down behind him.

Reflex [roll0]

slaydemons
2011-06-30, 10:25 PM
when the building came crumbling down Rory activated his fire ring and jumped out of the way trying to burn away all the shattered rocks.

[roll0]

Wyntonian
2011-06-30, 10:41 PM
Lared curled reflexively, his training driving him into a ball as he tumbled with the debris.

That was all fluff. It's just a reflex save with this result:[roll0]

chrisrawr
2011-06-30, 10:56 PM
Alnath runs to the last, pushing his body farther than it's gone since his childhood training. The ground rushes up to meet him, and he is quite dizzy. There's a great weight on his back...

[roll0]

Randel
2011-07-01, 01:46 AM
Desperate to avoid the collapsing building and its strangely animate debris, Lien rushes forward ducking as she goes to avoid being buried.

Reflex: [roll0]

sean_hyer
2011-07-01, 05:42 AM
Reflex: [roll0]

Isidor grunts as a larger rock strikes him in the back, and rolls aside as more crash down. Standing amidst the rubble, he rubs his back as he takes in the damage.

Egneil
2011-07-01, 02:01 PM
As you see the last of the rubble fall around you, you realize that the world you live in is more dangerous then you previously thought. Brushing yourselves off you find that your tougher then before as well. Looking around, you find your allies amidst the debris, all looking rather well. It would seem that the force controlling the collapse ran out before you thought it would.

Isidor had moved to the side moments before an exterior wall hit his back, sending most of the force glancing away. Looking back he realized the he would have been trapped if he hesitated any longer. Even though his armor helped, he could still tell that he was injured.

Alnath, misunderstanding the danger, took more time than he needed to realize that the pain wasn't on his back but in his side. Turning on his side he felt a sudden pain in his wound. Taking a look in his side he found where most of the stone shrapnel ended up.

---
Everyone gets 950 EXP. You may level up immediately, hit points, saving throws, and attack bonuses are applied when you level up. Skill points, and class abilities need four hours of light to no activity to become accessible.
Isidor takes 3 points of lethal damage, and 4 points of non-lethal.
Alnath takes 6 points of damage.

Randel
2011-07-01, 05:04 PM
Lien turns around as soon as the dust settles from the collapse. "That... that was scary. Everyone okay?"

A quick look reveals that not everyone is okay and Lien immediately heads back to dig Isidor out of the rubble.

chrisrawr
2011-07-01, 06:31 PM
Coughing and only half conscious, Alnath responds simply.

"Nope."

slaydemons
2011-07-01, 07:36 PM
Rory sighs and turns off his fire now going to look for Alnath who wasn't doing so peachy moving rubble out of his way

sean_hyer
2011-07-02, 07:04 AM
"Umm. I'm not buried. Just a bit bruised."
Isidor glances at the rubble, making sure it remains still.
"No wonder this city was abandoned. It's gone feral!"

slaydemons
2011-07-03, 09:36 PM
rory began to dig out the pile Isidor is in

PollyOliver
2011-07-03, 09:49 PM
Marus carefully climbs to his feet and dusts himself off. Then he looks around for the others. When he sees Rory digging, he staggers, still somewhat dazed, in that direction. He pauses for a moment to get his breath back and then tries to help digging as best he can.

Wyntonian
2011-07-04, 12:34 AM
Lared, meanwhile, sits Alnath down on a convenient rock, but not before glaring at it suspiciously. "Let me take a look at that." he says reassuringly, removing enough of the mean's clothing to inspect his injuries. He then continues to tend to them as best he can, wishing he had a healing kit, or some natural materials with which to do the same. "Obad-Hai take this city, useless thing." He mumbles as he works.

chrisrawr
2011-07-04, 12:56 AM
"Buh," Alnath dutifully replies. "It hurt everywhere but my eyes, and then I opened them. Now there's dirt in them, and I can't see..." His body relaxes, asleep.

sean_hyer
2011-07-04, 07:47 AM
Isidor stares at the peaceful figure of the unconscious man.
"Alnath can use my tent. Why anyone would head out into the wilderness without even rations is beyond me."

Egneil
2011-07-05, 04:52 PM
The day goes slowly as Lared tends to the wounded. After four hours had passed Lien walks up and cast one of the new spells she learned. Around an hour and thirty minutes later, you notice a group rats come out of a sewer grate and scurry away. Another two hours later Alnath's wounds finished closing under his scabs, peeling them away he finds that the skin underneath is still tender. Picking up your supplies you hear a crash in the northeast, on the other side of the city from where the warehouse is.

chrisrawr
2011-07-05, 08:38 PM
"The rats and I have more in common than I'd care to admit," Alnath grumbles to himself.

PollyOliver
2011-07-05, 08:40 PM
Marus spins in the direction of the crash, ears straining for any other sounds.

"What was that?" he asks.

Do I hear anything else with a [roll0] check?
Edit: evidently not :smalltongue:

chrisrawr
2011-07-05, 09:48 PM
"Fleeing...," he blinks, and sits up. "Fleeing, why would the rats be fleeing?"

slaydemons
2011-07-05, 09:52 PM
"one word, danger" he said this not knowing much about animals but knowing enough.

ForzaFiori
2011-07-06, 04:40 AM
"Why do I have the feeling that they're fleeing the same sewer that we're looking for?" Ruga chimed in. "But, there's no sense worrying about what you can't control. We should probably start trying to find the sewers again... I think it's somewhere under all that rubble..."

Randel
2011-07-06, 02:13 PM
Lien tends to the wounded, the recent events giving her the insight and motivation to use some healing magic to help her allies.

When the rats started fleeing from one of the sewers, she frowns.

"Hmm... could be danger or perhaps the collapsed building shook things up in the sewer tunnels below. Hopefully we won't be experiencing anything like that while underground."

Lien tries listening for any unusual sounds coming from where the rats fled from.

Egneil
2011-07-06, 06:09 PM
The only sounds around you are those of settling rubble and scurrying rats.

sean_hyer
2011-07-06, 06:49 PM
"We are trying to get INTO a sewer. The rats came OUT of a sewer. That might be a good place to start looking."

Isidor looks at the sewer grating.

"Maybe we can pry this loose?"

chrisrawr
2011-07-06, 09:22 PM
"Let me try..." Alnath stretches and gets up. Focusing on the grate, he pushes energy into it, a little at a time.

Agitate Matter until it melts, if it has a melting point similar to copper/lead/etc.

Egneil
2011-07-06, 10:25 PM
As you push your power into the grate you feel a slight resistance at first, but it falls away after a moment. When your power catches the metal and starts to heat it you feel a sudden grip on your mind. Pulling on it your power starts to slip out of your grasp...

---
Your power points are being sapped by the grate. You need to make a will saving throw to keep control of your power.

chrisrawr
2011-07-07, 01:06 AM
Alnath recoils in shock and fear, trying to sever his manifestation. He cries out in pain - it feels as if his hair is being pulled out in chunks. "Stay away from the grate! Get me away from it! It...Hurts!" he manages to cry out.

Egneil
2011-07-07, 01:43 AM
You try your best but you lose control of your power and feel a slight drain from your reserves. The energy is pulled into the grate and merged with your power before it's turned against you. Heat sears through your body, blistering the skin and causing it to bleed. The air around the grate shimmers as though the desert heat had flashed through it in an instant.
---
Alnath takes 4 points of damage and loses 3 power points.

Wyntonian
2011-07-07, 09:03 AM
Lared is utterly silent, drawing his sword and settling into a smooth stance in front of Alnath, looking around for the origin of his pain "What is it?" he asks briskly, looking around at the nearby rooftops.

slaydemons
2011-07-07, 10:44 AM
rory got close to the grate "so what happened how did it hurt you?" he looks back at the elf question in his eyes

ForzaFiori
2011-07-07, 01:46 PM
"I'm not sure what that grate did to Alnath, but I'm starting to think another way in would be better. That warehouse was just down the street, and it should have a larger entrance, one that could fit Uaki." Ruga points out, gesturing back the way they came.

chrisrawr
2011-07-07, 03:33 PM
Alnath cries out in pain again, this time physical - his blistered hands are going to be useless for a bit, he fears. "The gate is protected from my... magics. It sent my power against me, and then some!"

PollyOliver
2011-07-07, 09:43 PM
Marus regards the scene with surprise--not just at the reaction of the grate to the magic, but to the strange magic Alnath was using. He files both away--to keeps his spells to himself and his companions and to summoning if he can, and to ask Alnath about his magic later.

"Can you keep going? We should try Ruga's suggestion, if you can."

chrisrawr
2011-07-07, 11:08 PM
"Just some burns. I need money more than I need my hands, and our musically gifted friend seems to have picked up a knack for healing. Between him and Lared, I should be fine fairly soon."

Wyntonian
2011-07-09, 08:11 PM
Lared examined the changes in the gate. "I think we can probably bust this open now. Ruga, care to give me a hand?"

PollyOliver
2011-07-09, 08:19 PM
"I thought we were going to try the warehouse?" Marus asks. "Uaki can hardly go down a grate."

Randel
2011-07-10, 01:45 AM
"What the heck? ... is it normal for sewer gratings to burn people who cast magic spells?"

She ponders this for a second.

"So... either someone doesn't want mages getting in, or they don't want magic stuff getting out, or the city is spontaneously enchanting random bits of material to cause blisters on people."

Lien approaches Alnath and concentrates, trying to call forth the healing magic she had used before but her attempts get nothing but a brief tingling feeling like her hands went to sleep.

"Oh, I don't think I have the magical energy to do that twice in one day. Sorry." she frowns, looking at Alnaths blistered skin. While she did just recently get a bit of healing magic she is by no means an expert. Maybe at best she could... keep something from rotting?

Further investigation will be needed.

chrisrawr
2011-07-10, 12:33 PM
Alnath sighs, and concentrates for a second. A bunch of viscous goop appears on his arms, and he sighs again, only this time in relief. "It won't last long, but by the gods, this glue is soothing."

sean_hyer
2011-07-10, 01:50 PM
"I reckon that, if we can get a rope around it, we'll be able to yank the grate out. We can use Uaki to help us pull - it ought to be a piece of cake."

Isidor pulls out a length of rope and starts feeding it through the bars.