PDA

View Full Version : So, you want to be a Pathfinder - IC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

stack
2012-02-16, 08:02 AM
Arthur watches, fascinated as the coin disappears. "It's obviously magical somehow, so before we risk headaches, we could try lowering a rope of stick through, to make sure that things will come back if we pull them out. If that comes out okay we could lower one of us through. It would be ironic if this WAS a portal. Lisane, you have a rope, want to try it?"

Fuzzies
2012-02-16, 09:06 AM
"Okay, we can give it a try. If I lose this rope, though, you're buying me another one." Lisane pulled the rope from her pack, glanced at the others, then slowly lowered the rope into the well, watching to see what happened, and ready to pull the rope out when told to do so.

Firebeard
2012-02-16, 10:00 AM
Lisane drops the rope in the water, which pauses just at the threshold of liquid and air, just as the coin had. Then, with a suddenness that surprised her, the crystalline water drop leaped up the rope, covering it in the blink of an eye. Lisane's reflexes were fast, dropping the rope before the crystals could cover her hand.

She turned to Arthur to ask what next, when to her horror she saw crystals of water flashing over her friend's body from a point on his leg where the fallen rope had touched. In the briefest of moments, Arthur was covered by the crystals and then plunged into the basin of water, leaving behind not so much as a ripple.

@Arthur

Your horror when the crystals covered your face was nothing compared to that felt as you plunged through a whirling vortex of crystal and light. The journey seemed to take both hours and less than a second. finally, you were thrust out into another rectangular room with a basin of water. You would have thought it the same except for a few major differences. One, your companions were nowhere to be seen. Two, there were columns in this room, great stone things holding up an enormous vaulted ceiling. And three, there were doors in the southern wall, which were not present in the original room.

stack
2012-02-16, 11:06 AM
Arthur stands still, struggling to suppress the tremors in his hands as he stands in the new room. The shock slowly gives way to wonder, the novel magical experience forcing the unpleasantness and unexpectedness of the passage to the back of his mind. It IS a portal! I can't wait to tell Arwen! If I can get back. Maybe I can send a message somehow?

He looks around quickly to see if he can spot Arwen's coin, tossing back in. Hopefully they will send something back through if they get it. It would be nice to know the portal is stable and consistent in it's destinations. If it is, then we can all come through without difficulty and explore this new place. I hope it only moved me though space. Not sure I'm ready to travel to different times.

Fuzzies
2012-02-17, 11:01 AM
Server hiccup killed the "new post" notification, so I've been twiddling my thumbs all day. :smallfrown:

Lisane watched in shock as Arthur was pulled into the basin to disappear from sight. "I can't believe he got taken. It's my fault. I shouldn't have dropped the rope on him. Arwen, any idea if it is safe to go after him? Or is it likely that he is even alive after that?" Lisane's experience in tracking, stalking, and fighting had not prepared her for this...whatever this was.

Airanath
2012-02-17, 11:27 AM
"That was fascinating in an eerie sort of way... Guess that discards an illusion as I was hoping it was, well, partially, obviously there must be one to make whatever that was look like water. But I am avoiding the question, sorry, I can't say, I have no idea what that was, pretty sure I read about a similar effect somewhere with Arthur not long ago, but I can't place my finger on what the book was about..."

Knowledge Arcana to try to identify what just happened?

Firebeard
2012-02-17, 01:14 PM
@Arthur

You find the coin on the ground, next to the rope that was the unfortunate courier of the spell that brought you to this place. You pick up the coin, and with a brief prayer for this to work, you toss it into the fountain. The crystalline drops of water dragged the coin into the basin, just as it had before, and you stand there wondering if and when your companions might join you.

@everyone else

"By Torag's hairy backside, elf! Pull yourself together an' think. The man's gone an' disappeared on us, and ye stand there blathering about books and such as if'n we're in a library. Use yer magic noggin an' think of a way to get 'im back."

As Kargath finished berating Arwen, there was the sound of a soft splash and a coin hurtled out of the basin to land at the dwarf's feet. It spun for a few moments and then was still. No one breathed for a moment as the significance of the coin percolated through their brains.

@Arwen
At best guess, you think it might be a teleportation effect, though where, how, when, and why is a mystery.

Airanath
2012-02-17, 04:53 PM
"I guess that means the other side is safe... and Lisane, it was almost as good as a wishing well! It seems to at least answer to mine and Arthur's wish! Its some sort of portal linking one place to another, well, portal to be "barbaric" its more of a teleportation... pool? The crystal effects! I recall it from the book on portals and teleportation Arthur and me were reading! The coin is just him telling us to come probably!" Arwen grims and dives into the pool, head first for lack of better judgement on his part as to how the teleport spell works.

Firebeard
2012-02-17, 05:51 PM
Kargath gaped as Arwen just leaped into the pool. "Oh no! By my hairy sack, no! Ye'll not catch Kargath diving inta some portal or whatnot without proof that me be comin' out again. That's just some foolishness, that is." The dwarf crossed his arms and stood resolutely to one side.

@Arwen & Arthur

Arwen feels himself pulled through the same twisting crystalline tunnel as Arthur had been through. It felt more like a crystal esophagus might feel, alternatingly squeezing and relaxing, than any true tunnel. In a short (or long) moment, Arwen was flung into the room with Arthur, nearly bowling over the oracle as he emerged from the basin.

Fuzzies
2012-02-17, 06:08 PM
Lisane watched as Arwen leaped into the basin of water that was not water, and was sucked away. She was steeling herself to go in after him, when Kargath gave his ultimatum. She really couldn't blame him. After all, what self-respecting dwarf would willingly throw himself into unknown magics? She was not thrilled about ti herself, but she was more concerned about her friends.

"Come on Kargath, think of the undead Arthur and Arwen are likely fighting without you." She reached out to pat his cheek. Surreptitiously, she lifted her leg and dipped her foot in the basin as she did so.

Why do I feel like Face trying to get BA onto a plane?

Airanath
2012-02-17, 09:16 PM
"By all that is holy! This was incredible! A portal, of sorts! We should go again and back just for the potential of learning from it Arthur!" Arwen exclaims like a fan girl, when he finally notices his friend grinning at his arrival. But maybe I better get out of the way first, Lisane should be here soon...

Firebeard
2012-02-18, 08:08 AM
Kargath's scowl was replaced by a look of shock when Lisane patted his cheek like a schoolmarm placating an unruly child. The scowl turned to outrage as he saw the crystals dancing up her arm towards his face. He tried to pull away, but was flung into the crystalline void of the transit portal before he could so much as blink.

Kargath and Lisane exited the portal with a set of muffled thumps, and each tried to roll to his or her feet. However, they tangled up in each other and both came crashing back to the floor. The whole time Kargath coulod be heard muttering curses and imprecations under his breath at Lisane. The phrase "...tarted up doxy trickster..." came up more than once. Finally, each was sorted out and standing once more.

Kargath said, "Don't ye ever be pullin' a stunt like tha' with me again, girl, or ye're gonna draw back a nub. Th' next time that hand comes near t' me, I'm bitin' it off." The dwarf huffed off towards the doors. "Let's be findin' a way outta here tha' don't require going through the crystal toilet again."

+10 cool points to Fuzzies for the A-team reference.

Here is what you see (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis18.png)

stack
2012-02-18, 10:19 AM
Arthur helps his companions up as they tumble through, trying not to laugh. Glad no one was here to see my landing. "You got my message, excellent! Now, what are we waiting for, the door is right there?"

Firebeard
2012-02-20, 08:44 AM
The double doors open into a square room that is completely empty. Marks on the floor indicate that there might have once been furniture here, but it was removed long ago. Directly in front of you is another set of doors. Opening these, you find what Arwen has been dreaming of since he first heard of the necropolis...a library. There are a hundred tomes in varying stages of deterioration. Without touching them, it is clear that most are suffering from the extreme damp in the air as the sea has unceasingly encroached on the cliffs in which the necropolis was originally constructed. Directly across from the doors you entered through are yet another set of doors.

stack
2012-02-20, 09:01 AM
Arthur's eyes go wide as he steps into the library. All these BOOKS! where do I start? And they're old. They must not have been touched in AGES. "Arwen, books! Who knows what we might find in these..." Remembering his other companions may not share his enthusiasm, "Could be something useful here, you know. Research. About the ring or something."

He does his best no to shake in anticipation.

Mending as an infinite cantrip, a librarian's best friend!

Airanath
2012-02-20, 11:19 AM
"OH MY! Did we die and land on Paradise? If not, can I have a bedroom around here!? Those books need a lot of love! From repairs, to copys, maybe hiring translators! Wonder if we can send a message and request carriers to take the books out!" Arwen starts ranting excitedly, he had dreamed and hoped for this, but hadn't expected to actually find such a big and full collection.

Fuzzies
2012-02-20, 12:24 PM
Lisane smiled at the enthusaism shown by her companions. She enjoyed reading, to be sure, but not nearly as much as these two. Still her eyes sharpened as she scanned the shelves, looking for a title of interest. Offhandedly, she remarked "These are books, Kargath. They are for reading, not eating. I just thought you should know." Smiling at the dwarf, she then moved to check the closed doors to see if she could hear anything from the other side, leaving Arthur and Arwen to fawn over the tomes.

Firebeard
2012-02-20, 12:37 PM
"I knew what they're good fer' ya strumpet! They're fer wipin' ma ..." The dwarf broke off as both Arwen and Arthur turned to stare at him. "Bah! Jest ye two be lookin' at them books so we can get on wit' things!"

When the dwarf stopped his grumbling, Lisane placed her ear to the set of doors and listened. There was no sound at all from the other side, just as the last two sets had been quiet.

stack
2012-02-20, 01:00 PM
Arthur rolls his eyes and stifles a sigh at the dwarf's expected disregard for the written word. "I suppose we should only peruse titles at this point...or even just leave them to come back. I hate to think about it, but we're not here for books. It would take ages to haul them all out and this is hardly the place to do a full inventory even if we weren't on a mission. But we'll come back, yes, we'll come back. Can't leave these poor books here to moulder, knowledge lost to the ages."

He watches the shelves over his shoulder as he joins Lisane, blinking back watery eyes.
He grew up in a library, what do you expect?

Fuzzies
2012-02-20, 02:18 PM
"We can come back when this is finished. I imagine if we get this ring, Stiles would fall over himself to get this book collection out of here, even if he had to carry the alderman on his back for a year to get permission to come back down here. But, now is the time to continue on. If you are ready?"

Lisane waited for assent from all three before carefully opening the door.

Firebeard
2012-02-20, 02:56 PM
The doors open to another empty square room similar to the one preceding the library room. There are scuff marks on the floor where old furniture may have once sat, but otherwise the stone is bare. Another set of double doors awaits at the far side of the room.

stack
2012-02-20, 03:14 PM
"Onward and, uhm, onward then?" Arthur, still somewhat distracted by the library left behind, stay near Lisane and helps open the doors as the proceed.

"I wonder is the dark magic pervades this place as well? Probably does. The portal may just be a way to keep out those who weren't supposed to know about...things. Like the library."

Fuzzies
2012-02-21, 08:17 AM
"Such an ... eloquent way to put it," Lisane said. "I imagine if you were willing to suffer another headache, you could experiment some more. But, it might be better to wait until we've found what we came for. Even if the ring isn't here, it sounds like those books would be worth the trip. But I don't want to send a group of scribes down here only to be eaten by ghouls. Let's finish clearing out the dangers and searching for the ring." Lisane moved into the room and listened at the far doors before opening them.

Airanath
2012-02-21, 10:38 AM
"Speaking of those, maybe we should close the doors to the portal room while we explore this part? If, by any luck, the undead are trapped on the other side, we could avoud being ambushed till we finish checking here... Don't think we would see many books with those hands skittering and climbing around, so maybe this part of the necrolpolis is clear at least from undead. Arwen proposes, looking for reasons to try the portal again, and taking more careful mental notes of the experience this time.

stack
2012-02-21, 10:41 AM
"Good thinking, but I'd rather be certain the door will open again from the inside. You never know in a place like this. I think we had the halls pretty well cleared anyhow, well enough to make it unlikely. I don't think the mindless undead would bother the fountain anyhow."

Firebeard
2012-02-21, 12:07 PM
Kargath said "Well, why don' we jest close these here?" He reached over and closed the doors behind him. Immediately, a loud thunk is heard as an internal locking mechanism dropped into place. Then, without warning, the ground beneath Arwen's feet erupted, sending the magus flying towards the ceiling.

Arwen needs to make me a Reflex save

Airanath
2012-02-22, 11:04 AM
Reflex: [roll0]
Woot! Am I flying?

Firebeard
2012-02-22, 11:30 AM
The column of stone launches Arwen into the ceiling and a dull crunch is heard as the elf is smashed against the stone. His limp form falls to the floor, blood tricking from one ear. The body rolls once and is still.

Arwen takes 8 damage, which puts him at -2 (going by the sheet) and unconscious.

stack
2012-02-22, 12:00 PM
Arthur is waiting for Lisane to open the door when he hears a disturbing noise. He quickly turns to see Arwen's unceremonious descent. He stands in shock for a moment before fumbling for his want, only dropping it once.

CLWs, I'll roll three
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

That attended to, he looks at the now closed door. "Maybe we should just leave them be. For now. This area appears to be trapped. I don't think we want to experience what Arwen just went through."

Airanath
2012-02-22, 04:23 PM
Arwen moans a bit, the wounds fixed, but his body still numb from the memory of pain,"You sure as hell doesn't want to experience that, I wish I could un-experience that. Well, at least if anything follows us, its going to face that too, which is a sort of sadic relief for me, I hope a few skeletons walk there... if it broke my arm, maybe it could smash them to pieces for us."

Keeping it updated everytime I take damage, got a new smartphone, so I've been editing it even at work if I catch notice of posts there =)
If I take the first two rolls, I'll be at a confortable 10 already(13hp), don't think the extra charge is worth it right now, its a small rest(which, we might need) with a tending friend around to properly dress the wounds.

Fuzzies
2012-02-22, 05:26 PM
Lisane started to move towards Arwen when she saw his crumpled form, then thought better of it. "Nobody move! It is possible there are more of those hidden beneath the floor. Let me check." She unstrung the bow on her back and used it to prod the floor, carefully scanning all the while. She made her way towards where Arwen and Arthur were, then to the doors to the south, constantly searching for more traps. "Walk only on the path that I have cleared. We'll do the same thing on the way back out of here, if necessary."

Slow but steady wins the race.

perception checks as necessary
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Firebeard
2012-02-22, 09:12 PM
Lisane's careful search only finds one more trap, this one near the opposite set of doors. Given that Arthur's wand restored Arwen's health and good spirits, and Lisane clearly marked the other trap, the companions pressed up against the doors, listening carefully for any signs of life (or undeath) on the other side. It was the matter of a second for Lisane to determine that these doors, like the others you had found down in these catacombs, were unlocked. Gently, she pushed them open...

To be continued...

Firebeard
2012-02-24, 09:14 AM
The illuminated chamber has the vaulted ceilings common to the architecture that you have observed since leaving the pool portal. The space is broken by tall columns, intricately carved with ancient glyphs, and stone sarcophogi. These aren't the simple coffin of smooth stone that you found the Dacilane girl in. These are lavishly decorated with scenes of battles and dark heroism.

At the far end of the room stands a figure in armor, ancient chain and leather still looking new, despite the years. The longsword it holds is slightly curved, with etchings of flames traced delicately on the surface. It's shield is held at the ready, and the orbs of its eyes burn brightly against the stark blackness of a fleshless skull. The skeleton stared at your entrance, then spoke.

"Ah, I see the world above has deigned to acknowledge my presence once again. It is meet that you should come before me geared for battle, as I will bring battle to the realms above. Too long have I, Ahral, been locked in this accursed place. One of you will be left to lead me from this place, the others will take their place at my side as Breathless. Choose now, or I will make the choice for you."

At his words, the sarcophagi began to crack open, skeletal fingers reached through the gaps and pushed the lids open even further. In moments, a quartet of skeletons in ancient armor stood at your sides, bony hands holding rusted swords.

Here is what you see... (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis19a.png)

stack
2012-02-24, 10:22 AM
Arthur stands tall. His eyes grow distant, as if he is partially possessed of a foreign influence. He calls out, his voice taking an unaccustomed strength and steadiness.

"Your time is Past. You shall not trouble the world above again. Crumble to dust and pass on, as the memory of you above has long since."
The message delivered, Arthur slumps slightly. With a shake of his head, he readies himself for battle. "You won't be taking any of us."

know religion to identify the type of undead [roll0] (leader)
[roll1] (other skeletons)
know history to guess at who/what we are facing [roll2]

Really wishing Arthur had some spells that would be more helpful for buffing/BC against undead.

stack
2012-02-24, 11:26 AM
Arthur pauses as he considers the odds, holding back his urge to charge. His right hand drops to the scales around his neck, now glowing brighter, hot to the touch though his flesh does not burn. The light gives his armor a golden tinge. He raises the holy symbol with a shout, "Flee abominations, creatures of chaos! Civilization has passed you on!"

turn undead (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/turn-undead--final). The 30' radius should cover all of them. will save DC 15 or flee as if panicked for 1 minute

Firebeard
2012-02-24, 01:57 PM
@Arthur
Umm, no. The item allows you to channel energy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric#TOC-Channel-Energy-Su-) against undead as if you were a cleric, using your character level as the cleric level. I thought I had mentioned that in the PM. I used the unfortunate phrase "turn undead" in the item description, which is why I wanted to clarify t with you in the PM.

Firebeard
2012-02-27, 09:20 AM
"So be it, mortal. You have brought this upon yourself."

Capture the pretty one. Kill the others."

Round 1 initiatives...

Arwen [18]
skeletons [17]
Arthur [11]
Lisane [10]
Kargath [7]

Airanath
2012-02-27, 01:17 PM
Why did it have to be skeletons again? Arwen silently complains in his mind, while voicing the incantation to make his bow shot arrows with additional force.

Casting gravity bow. Bow damage will be improved to 2d6 for the next 2 minutes.

Firebeard
2012-02-27, 06:06 PM
As Arthur hastily cast his spell, the skeletons moved in from all sides, heeding their master's orders. Rusted blades and bony arms flew in from all sides, battering the companions, but not really injuring any of them seriously. The leader, Ahral, strode forth, longsword swinging easily and engaged Lisane. Its weapon rang against hers with such force, that Alrathien was nearly ripped from her hands. With determination, the ranger managed to keep hold of her sword, though her hands were numbed by the blow.

I don't have my thumb drive with me, so we're all gonna have to use the prior map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis19a.png) and our imaginations.

There are skeletons in BS9, BS6, BT9, and BT6. Ahral charged to BT7 and tried to disarm Lisane, but failed. No one took any damage, as the dice roller hated the skeletons.

Everyone's up!

Fuzzies
2012-02-28, 08:37 AM
"The pretty one? How trite. Kargath, I think he has his eye...or eye socket...on you!" Lisane growled this last as she flexed the fingers on her right hand before taking a renewed grip on Alrathien. She looped the blade through Falling Rain before driving the tip upward in a great slash, the maneuver her trainers had called Startled Bird.

PA Ahral [roll0]
damage [roll1]

stack
2012-02-28, 09:28 AM
Maybe if we take out the leader, the other will be weakened. Or fall apart entirely. That happens in real life, right?

Having spent the minor divine power of the amulet, Arthur resorts to more direct means, stepping forward to get to the lead warriors side, slowly maneuvering for a flanking position while leaving space for Kargath. He takes tentative swipes, hoping to distract him so Lisane can better do her blade-work.

move to BT8, not flanking yet but will be next turn

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

crit if needed [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Someday he's going to learn some buffs. You know, if we don't all die first.

Airanath
2012-02-28, 10:47 AM
Arwen steps back to get some space between the skeleton and him, while focusing his mind to magically improve his arrows precision and piercing power, satisfied with the distance, he shots the skeleton who moments before took a wild swing at him twice.

"Yup, most likely he has his eyes on you Kargath, only way to know is if he had a mug of Ale thought, so we could tell he also wanted a friendly chat with you."

5 feet step back, then swift action to use my arcane pool and make my bow +1 for a while.
Rapid Shotting at BS6.
Attack 1: [roll0][roll1]
Attack 2: [roll2][roll3]

Firebeard
2012-02-28, 12:23 PM
Lisane's uppercut nearly tore the thing's jaw off, driving one chips across the room. Ahral rocked to one side with the blow, narrowly avoiding a blow from Arthur. Meanwhile, Arwen's arrow caught his target in the breastbone, smashing it across the room to lie in a crumpled heap. Kargath punched one of the skeletons in the ribcage, shattering the bones and sending the thing to the floor.

The skeletons again lashed out at you, one cutting a thin line in Kargath's already scarred scalp. Ahral turned to Arthur, and with a mighty blow sent the oracle's morningstar flying to the ground. "Do not think to trifle with me today, little man. I will send your soul to the ancestors and make full use of your corpse."

Arthur is disarmed.

Everyone's up!

Here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis19b.png)

stack
2012-02-28, 01:29 PM
'You are just a dead thing, long beyond recall. Go back to mouldering in your grave. Perhaps we can give you some peace by sending you beyond."

Arthur steps again, leaving his prized weapon and drawing his belt dagger. The action is slow and careful, Arthur not trusting himself not to send the dagger skittering across the floor to join his morningstar.

5' step to BU7 (now flanking w/ Lisane)
standard action to draw his dagger

What square is the morningstar in? dropped weapons go 10' randomly. [roll0] if you haven't already determined it.

Firebeard
2012-02-28, 01:48 PM
@stack

What square is the morningstar in? dropped weapons go 10' randomly. [roll0] if you haven't already determined it.

really? I've never seen that rule before. Got a reference?

Firebeard
2012-02-28, 02:03 PM
Arthur's weapon fell to the floor and clanged away to rest against the nearest pillar.

morning star lands in BS10

Fuzzies
2012-03-01, 11:16 PM
Lisane saw Arthur's morning star go flying and knew that they might be in trouble. She knew she had to take the initiative, and so she whipped her sword in a viscious bacswing, performing a nearly flawless Diving Angel. The powerful swing, coupled with the twist at the end, was difficult to counter when you were overextended...such as when you had just disarmed a person.

Ahral [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Airanath
2012-03-05, 07:55 AM
Arwen steps to the side in order to have a clear angle to the skeleton right by Lisane, he shots twice, trying to take it down before it can flank his companion.

"Return to your graves abominations, there might be no rest for the wicked, but the living don't have to put up with your presence either."

5 feet step to BQ 8, then rapid shotting at the skeleton in BS 6.
Attack: 2d6+2[/roll]
Attack: 2d6+2[/roll]

Firebeard
2012-03-05, 12:24 PM
Lisane's blow tore a chunk from the skeletal champion's chest and shoulder, as Arwen's arrows neatly picked off the skeleton to her right. On the other side, Kargath's brutal strikes with his ham-like fists sent the final skeleton crashing to the stone. Ahral, seeing his forces fallen, took a step backward and raised his shield hand.

Across two of his fingers sat the largest ring you have ever seen, a ruby salamander twisted in a way that gave the impression of an ancient rune. The evil fire in the eye sockets of the regal skeleton seemed to flare as an ancient word from a dead language ripped past his ruined mouth. "Flargent!" A rush of flame burst from the ring engulfing both Arthur and Lisane.

Arthur and Lisane, Ref DC14 for half of [roll0] damage.

Everyone's up!

Here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis19c.png)

stack
2012-03-05, 01:03 PM
Reflex [roll0]

Arthur was at BU7. Is he still in the blast there?

Firebeard
2012-03-05, 01:41 PM
Um...how did I miss that? Yes, you would still be in the AOE.

Edit: It's either that or go back and change the maps and I'd honestly rather you be screwed than me :smallbiggrin:

stack
2012-03-05, 01:55 PM
I'll remember that when a certain paladin is in trouble. :smallamused:

Arthur follows the dead champion, his movement keeping him from the worst of the flame. Clutching his dagger one handed in front of him in a feeble attempt to ward-off retaliation, he echoes his foes word, gesturing to Ahral's sword.

move to BV6
burning disarm reflex save DC 15 ( I think, can't access my sheet) to drop weapon for take [roll0] fire damage
cast defensively [roll1] (2 for level, 4 for CHA) vs DC 17

Hopefully better than a dagger, especially when he's wounded already. Also hope he makes the save and has more sense for self-preservation than the mindless ones.

Fuzzies
2012-03-05, 02:36 PM
Lisane tried to dodge the blast of fire, but she could still smell her hair burning as the flames washed over her. Rolling to her feet, she struck out at Ahral's legs, hoping to bring the skeleton to the ground, where it would be easier to get at him.

Ref [roll0]

Attack [roll1]
damage [roll2]

Airanath
2012-03-05, 05:46 PM
Seems all that training is paying off, even if I am mostly lucking out into breaking the bones I am aiming for on those skeletons, Arwen ponders about his two vanquished foes.

He quickly gathers his wits again, as there are more pressing matters at hand, and shots twice aiming for Arhal's head, at worst, that might at least silence him and keep his magic at bay.

Full attack, rapid shot and deadly aim, for a penalty of 3(2 rapid, 1 Deadly Aim) and +2 damage bonus on all attacks. I forgot to add the +1 from my temporary enhacement from arcane pool on damage last time, glad it wasn't necessary to kill the skeleton. (2 str, 2 deadly aim, 1 from enhacement)
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
Edit: Its official, I roll lower when I try to use deadly aim.

Firebeard
2012-03-06, 09:14 AM
The wave of flame washing over you does more harm than simply the damage from the flame. It served as an excellent distraction. Lisane and Arwen both missed their attacks, and Arthur fumbled his spell. Even the dwarf was affected, missing with his roaring lunge at the monster, and wrapping his arms around Lisane's legs instead. The attack threw Lisane off balance, and with a mighty blow, the skeleton lord ripped Alrathien from her hands. The blade fell to the ground at her feet, and the ranger stared at it aghast.

Lisane is disarmed.

Here's the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/necropolis19d.png)

stack
2012-03-06, 09:47 AM
Lisane's disarmed...have to distract him. Can't cast this close, can't move away, need to keep up the pressure. I only brought this daggers for odd jobs, not fighting. Have to do.

Arthur takes a desperate series of hack and jabs with his dagger, sincerely wishing he still had his more familiar weapon.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Fuzzies
2012-03-06, 10:18 AM
Lisane stared at her sword on the ground as if it had betrayed her. In many senses it had. She had NEVER dropped her sword in combat before. Always the blade felt as if it were prt of her arm. This sudden dose of reality was overwhelming and somewhat disconcerting. She glared at the skeleton before her, the leering jaw and ever-present grin made her boil with anger. Heedless of the consequences, she dove for her blade, accepting the skeleton's blow upon her vulnerable side as she ripped the blade up and through the creature's groin.

Accepting the AoO to pick up Alrathien, and then PA his crotch into oblivion

Attack
damage 1d10+10[/roll]

Firebeard
2012-03-07, 09:04 AM
The dagger blade skittering across his back did little to harm Ahral. The ancient skeleton lord was all but impervious to small blades. It did, however, distract him from the woman in front of him. He noticed Lisane diving for her blade almost too late, and his opportunity for a strike at the relatively undefended woman was to short for him to act effectively. He snarled, first in irritation that the oracle had distracted him so, and then at the feel of Alrathien's bite in a formerly sensitive area. Lisane's strike caught the skeleton true, fight in the fork of legs and torso. It sheared through the ancient pelvis and sent one leg flying into the nearest casket. The light in Ahral's orbs flashed bright, and then went dark just as suddenly. The clatter of bones and the heavy breathing of combatants filled the chamber.

Aside from the extraordinarily high quality of Ahral's longsword and chainmail armor, he is also carrying the ruby salamander ring that you came down into the necropolis for. Scattered among the sarcophagi, you find a few more odds and ends that look both interesting and/or worth something. There is a set of silver plates with an filigree crest embossed on each, an ornate hourglass with blue sand, and a goodly number of coins.

Congratulations! Hard fight that might have been harder without Arthur's channel. The regular skellies only had 4 hp, so Arthur took them down to 1 hp each.

250 Xp apiece, and some nice loot.

Ruby salamander ring
Nice chainmail
Nice longsword
546g in mixed coins
silver plates
ornate hourglass filled with blue sand

stack
2012-03-07, 09:25 AM
Arthur takes a deep breath as he gathers his wits (and his weapon). "Uhm...I think that is the ring. Stiles didn't mention it being attached to a too-lively owner. I really wish I could chance taking a closer look at it, but even if he was the source of the dark energy I doubt it would have dissipated fast enough to make arcane inquiries safe. On the bright side, there doesn't seem to be much else down here, so the library should be secure. I guess we go back, get the girl's body, and head home."

"Have we thought about how we are going to carry her without too much attention?"

Airanath
2012-03-07, 10:00 AM
"I haven't tought about it yet. For now, lets place this creature's armor and sword in a bag, they might be cursed, with all his hate for the living."

stack
2012-03-07, 10:23 AM
Arthur furrows his brow. "Good thinking." He handles the now-suspicious gear gingerly.

"Anyone in need of healing before we go?"

break down and use actual spell slots for healing,

[roll0]
[roll1]

take as needed. Arthur will pass, he didn't take much damage.

Fuzzies
2012-03-07, 11:22 AM
Lisane excitedly hlp Arwen stuff the valuables they had found into the bag. The chainmail looked especially interesting, but Arwen was right. It was best to get it checked out before they tried to put it on. She strapped the thing's longsword to her back though, under Alrathien's baldric, where straps hung for just that purpose. Blades tossed in bags tended to not want to stay there.

"I could use a little healing, that blasted thing cut me up pretty good." She fingered the ruined ends of her strawberry blonde curls and sighed. "And it would be good to get these burns taken care of before they get infected. As for Junia, I think I can just sling her over my shoulder. I doubt anyone would say 'boo' to that, especially given how we look at the moment. If we come across danger, I can set her down easily enough."

Lisane was below half health, so both of those heals are welcome.

stack
2012-03-08, 10:11 AM
"Well, let's get back then." Arthur spares a longing glance at the books as they pass back through the library, careful to let Lisane handle any remaining traps on their way out.

Any encounters as we go back, get the girl, and head to the exit?

"Maybe we don't walk through the streets with the body. We can take her to the entrance, then send word. Be easier than getting her up the ladder, such as it is, too."

Firebeard
2012-03-08, 01:00 PM
Arwen found a ring attached to a chain near the door, and pulled it out of curiosity. There was a loud ca-chunk as something in the trap room made a loud noise. Not wanting to take any chances, the companions made their way through the room, circumnavigating around the known traps and making it easily back to the transportation pool.

Everyone stared at Kargath until the dwarf grumbled, "All right, all right." and stepped into the pool. In a flash of crystalline light, he disappeared, shortly followed by the rest of the party. There were no issues getting back to Junia's resting place, and Lisane put her plan into action, slinging the thin form over her left shoulder before heading off towards the entrance.

At the entrance, she used a few lengths of rope looped through the girl's armpit and slung her over her back like a pack. With a supreme effort, she climbed the ladder to the Drownyard above, followed by the others. Upon making your way through the Drownyard gate, a voice rang out.

"Hey there! Stop! what are you doing there....is that a body?"

stack
2012-03-08, 02:40 PM
Arthur raises his hands and steps forward. "Recovery mission. On permission of Alderman Tully. Nothing to worry about, all proper."

I knew we should have gotten a wagon first. Let's hope we can get her out of sight before the whole city is at our throats.

diplomacy [roll0]

Airanath
2012-03-08, 06:34 PM
"Not unless you plan to kill her, she seems to be in a trance, now if you want bodies, there are plenty on the necropolis, and most of them are walking around hoping to get some living flesh, after we return her to her mother we might come for a clean up of the place, if nobody speaks of it and arms a militia or mercenaries to block us from coming back." Arwen explains, in a threatening tone, implying the trouble it could be if the undead come outside and invide the town. "If I were you, I would run from here as soon as possible, hide under my bed, and block the door untill then, never know when the ghouls will come for fresh food from below... Let me know which is your house, once we are done I'll knock and let you know its safe."

Intimidate to try to get the guy to move along and keep quiet.
[roll0]

Arwen has full intention to return if possible, maybe the books can still be salvaged, and if not, the place could use a demolition team to seal the entrance, as far as he knows, there are indeed more undead inside.

Firebeard
2012-03-09, 08:31 AM
"Here now, there's no need to be calling me names or insinuating that I'm a coward. I'm not afraid of walking dead. I did my stint in the army, fought the undead at Ural's Pass. 'S why I get guard duty around the Drownyard so much> Most of the other guards can't stand the place. Now what's this about the Necropolis? And who is that..." He raised his torch higher to get a better look at the limp form slung over Lisane's shoulder.

"By the gods above, that Junia Dacilane! I'd know that face anywhere, seen it enough times when the old biddy...I mean, when Lady Dacilane would have the painting carted over to the Alderman's to complain about no one being allowed down there. But, why is she still...10? She should be a young woman by now, if she were alive. And if she's not dead... I think we need to get you and her somewhere safe, quickly, where someone who knows what's going on can look at her."

He quickly led you to the Alderman's mansion, where a quick word with the porter saw you inside and a runner off to both Lady Dacilane and the Temple of Pharasma.

stack
2012-03-09, 08:53 AM
Arthur is taken aback by the quick change in the man's demeanor. "That...went much better than I thought. I guess mobs and torches aren't factoring in to our evening."

On the way, he takes a moment to scan the various items they uncovered for magic auras, sparing a glance at the girl as he does.

When I know what all is magic i will try to identify stuff.

He makes the proper motions as he enters the temple, waiting curiously to see what happens next.

Fuzzies
2012-03-09, 01:51 PM
Upon reaching the Alderman's home and being escorted inside, Lisane gently lays the girl down on a sofa and leans on the furniture to catch her breath. Hoofing a 100 pound girl through half the city wasn't exactly her idea of a good evening. "Thank goodness. I think if I would've had to face a mob, I'd have let them have me. What a day! Still, I imagine that what we found is cetainly going to stir some hairs. I mean, Junia Dacilane alive - sort of - and still looking like she did 10 years ago? Perhaps we can get another runner sent to the Pathfinder Lodge and bring back Stiles or someone. It seems that they need to hear about our finds before a crazed mob heads down there."

Firebeard
2012-03-09, 03:40 PM
"Certainly madam," the butler said. Within moments another runner was off for the Pathfinder Lodge. While waiting, Arthur and Arwen put their heads together to examine the artifacts they had...liberated from the necropolis. They soon ascertained that they had quite the haul, including a couple of arcane scrolls, two rings, magical chainmail, and a magical longsword.

Full loot list, including identified items...

2 breastplates
2 masterwork spiked gauntlets
2 masterwork baridiche
scroll of shocking grasp
flask of acid
18 gems
771g in mixed coins
small steel mirror
ring of featherfall 2/day CL1
elven curveblade, poor quality
potion of bless weapon
flint and steel
arcane scroll of haste
silver key - diamond
ruby amulet
chainmail +1
longsword +1
ruby salamander ring
silver plates
blue sand hourglass

The two were so excited about their finds, as well as the knowledge they had uncovered in the necropolis, that the Alderman himself came over to admire the items. He was specifically interested in the silver and gold ring with the motif of a feather on it - incidentally, one that allowed the bearer to cast Featherfall twice a day. The symbol very nearly matched his household motif of a quill and parchment, and the Alderman was willing to pay far more than the ring was worth for it, offering you 600g.

Meanwhile, Lisane sat near Junia, stretching and recovering from her ordeals and carrying the child across what seemed like half the city. She was staring at the child's face - so smooth, like marble turned flesh - when the girl's eyelids fluttered. Junia blinked rapidly a few times, then stilled once more. The pulse at the base of her neck seemed to beat stronger, and teh girl's chest expanded with a, influx of air.

stack
2012-03-09, 03:58 PM
Spellcraft rolls:

Not sure if all these are magic or need identification, thought I'd get the rolls out there to speed things up.
small steel mirror [roll0]
silver key - diamond [roll1]
ruby amulet [roll2]
ruby salamander ring[roll3]
silver plates [roll4]
blue sand hourglass [roll5]

should have 2 castings of identify, so [roll6]
[roll7] used on the first two items that are missed above.

Airanath
2012-03-09, 11:01 PM
Arwen watches as his friend identifies most of the items, impressed by his quick progress and how Arthur's god blessings make the job easier for him, even so, the oracle still needs more training, missing his readings on a few of the items, to which the magus promptly jumps in and tries to figure the mystery of their magical workings.

Using Detect Magic then trying to id anything stack might miss, some of his rolls were pretty good, but I'll roll anyway, in case the item was more powerfull than we tought.
Small steel mirror: [roll0]
Silver key - diamond: [roll1] (Wasn't there another key?)
Ruby Amuleth: [roll2]
ruby salamander ring: [roll3]
Silver plates: [roll4]
Blue Sand Hourflass: [roll5]

Firebeard
2012-03-10, 09:21 AM
At this sign of movement from the child, Lisane gave a shout, causing everyone else to come over. There was general excitement and a little consternation as yet another runner was summoned for, this one to go fetch a healer.

Moments later, Lady Dacilane arrived int he company of Quentin Stiles. Seeing her daughter, apparently alive an un-aged, she rushed to the divan and thrust everyone aside to hug Junia. "What...how...Oh, thank you!" she blubbered, reaching out to grab the first hand she found. Kargath looked mightily uncomfortable as the woman squeezed his hand, and hesitantly reached out to pat her on the head.

Stiles looked at the scene in stunned amazement, his unlit cigar falling from his mouth to roll under a bookcase. "I never thought...how is it that she's alive? And still a child? Lady Dacilane, when you told me they found your daughter I assumed...well, I mean who wouldn't?"

Sobbing joyful tears, the Lady Dacilane seemed to realize she was clutching the dwarf's hand and released it. "Of course you assumed...as did I. But they brought her back. Your wonderful people brought her back. I cannot ever thank you enough, Quentin. You can be sure that the Pathfinders will benefit well from this." She turned to peer into the girl's face. Junia's eyelids fluttered again and she murmured "Mama" in a soft voice.

Soon a priest of Pharasma arrived, and having heard the entire story, ushered everyone from the sitting room and into another area of the house. The door was firmly closed behind them. A moment later it opened again, and a grey-clad arm reached out to hand Stiles his cigar. The door closed again with a firm click.

Stiles turned to you and said, "Okay, spill. I want to hear it all. From the moment you got to the Drownyard until I got here. Go." You take turns filling him in with the details of your exploration.

Fuzzies
2012-03-12, 10:00 AM
Lisane quickly relayed what they had been through since entering the wrought iron gates of the Drownyard, specifically on the types of undead that they had encountered in the necropolis. "The worst were these armored hands. They were like weaponized spiders, and though they weren't too dificult to deal with if you caught them in the open, they were especially good at droppoing down from the ceiling and latching onto a person'w neck or back, where you couldn't easily strike at them."

She told of their trip through the portal, and the final battle against Ahral. "Oh, and the room leading to Ahral's chamber had a couple of traps in it. Anyone who goes in there should be extra careful. He had quite a library of old texts, ubt Arthur and Arwen got a better look at them than I did. Anyways, once we finished with Ahral, we went back to gather up young Junia, and the rest you have seen for yourself."

stack
2012-03-12, 11:28 AM
Arthur chimes in occasionally, adding bits of irrelevant detail regarding the mural and the library. When Lisane finished he added, "There seems to be an ongoing enchantment there. The images of students and teachers, the necromantic aura, all very...odd. The aura was particularly overpowering. Unpleasant."

He put aside his wonder at the girls recovery, focusing on an accurate report.

Firebeard
2012-03-12, 12:05 PM
"That there's a pretty fascinatin' story you got. If we can recover any of those texts, this little expedition of yours might be the most successful venture within sight of Korvosa's walls. I can't think of any other discovery like it in the region. We'll definitely get a crew of archivists and porters down there within the day. Anything that can be salvaged will be. Now, lemma ask you this: did you find the Ruby Salamander Ring?"

stack
2012-03-12, 12:17 PM
Arthur stops his pondering. "Oh, right. Of course. Here it is." He hands it over. "Seems to allow the wearer some ability to generate flame. We found out the, uhm, hard way." He glances down to the singed edges of his clothes. "Not certain whether the ability was from the rings itself, or channeled through it, or amplified by it or...we don't know much. Just fire."

Airanath
2012-03-12, 12:49 PM
Arwen complements with some of his own remarks, specially interest into studying the portal more if possible, and the title of a book he believes he saw down there that he has particular interest in.

"I am tempted to believe its an ability of the ring itself to generate a small blast of fire. I didn't notice Arhal using any complex arcane gestures nor enchantment, he just spoke Flames in the old language, and he got them." Arwen adds his own opinion in the matter of the ring.

Firebeard
2012-03-13, 12:40 PM
Stiles took the ring from Arthur, listening to his and Arwen's comments with only half an ear while twisting the thing over and around. He stared hard at the ruby salamander and seemed to come to some decision. "Yeah, that's all well and good, but this is the real value of the thing." He grabbed hold of the salamander and twisted it off of its mounting. The ruby fell away to reveal a golden cube, about a half inch to a side, with glyphs embossed in its surface.

He held it up to the light. "One of our brother Pathfinders found an inscription on the stone wall of a tomb in what was old Bakrakhan. It appeared to be instructions as to how to open a knowledge vault, one of the fabled Repositories, prepared by Alaznist, the ancient Runelord. Now, I'm not one to go poking about in Runelord business, but this could be a find that would make the haul you say you saw in the necropolis look like a few scraps of dirty paper."

"Now, I know you had your hearts set on escorting Madame Vrakes to that ball of hers, and I won't take it poor if you still want to do that. You could use a nice relaxing escort duty after the time you had down there. But, this could be a time-sensitive matter. I've gotten word from our brethren that some treasure hunters are close to the Repository, and would be content to smash in the door if they don't have the key. I can't let that happen, not on my watch."

"If you don't want to be the ones to go, say the word and I will get someone else. But, even though you lack the experience of some of our more weathered members, you work well together and I don't say that lightly. That goes a long way towards making things even. I think you can handle it."

"So, what do you say? Skip the ball and head North, or do I pass the Key and the honors to someone else? An adventure such as this is surely worthy to be added to the Chronicles...assuming you make it back to tell it."

stack
2012-03-13, 01:05 PM
Arthur watches with great interest as Stiles disassembles the ring. His interest grows even greater at the mention of a repository.

An actual repository? Runelords? I...I never thought...getting in the Chronicles...thought it would take years...I mean, someday, but now?

"I want to go. Parties are nice, but this is too big a chance to miss. This is the stuff of stories and legends. We HAVE to go."

Airanath
2012-03-13, 06:41 PM
Jedi mind trick: The is no typo on the previous post(well, not anymore anyway, as I corrected it)

"The vault... of a Runelord?" Arwen says his jaw dropping. "My master used to tell me stories about their crafting, I wouldn't pass the chance of seeing it. I don't really know how to dance anyway... The only downside in passing the ball is all that free food."

Fuzzies
2012-03-14, 07:30 AM
"Free food? Arwen, we would have been going as escorts, not guests. Like as not, they would have stood us in a closet with the rest of the weapons." As she spoke, lisane realized that she had already discounted the thought of going to the ball as well. "Okay...I guess that means we'll take the job. Where exactly are we headed, how long will it take to get there, and how much preparation time do we have before we need to leave?"

Firebeard
2012-03-14, 11:16 AM
"The tomb, and supposed Repository, is on an island in the Gulf of Varisia. It's about a 3 day trip by sea, though poor winds could make it as long as 7. I've contracted with a caravel merchantman by the name of Captain Blen Sorgi. Sorgi's a former Pathfinder, and he was headed towards Riddleport anyways. He'll set you off on the island, then come back for you on his return trip. I know, I know, it sucks having to sit on your cans on an island and wait for pickup. That's why I'm glad it's you and not me. I'm sure you'll be able to pass the time."

"As for when you leave, I'd like it to be as soon as possible. Sorgi will want to go with the tide, so you are on his time frame, but you should at least take this evening to recover, and maybe tomorrow to load up on supplies. Ask Sorgi before you go shopping, and he can give you an idea of how long you'll need to wait for him to return to pick you up."

"Any other questions?"

stack
2012-03-14, 12:00 PM
Arthur nods, making mental notes of the instruction. "Are there any maps or notes by previous expeditions? It would be good to know what to expect on the way to and from the repository. I suppose some library time would be in order to find out about the repository itself."

Firebeard
2012-03-15, 08:36 AM
"We don't have much about the island that the tomb directions pointed to. It is just a small place, about 2 miles square. As for the Repository, the ancient script we read just mentioned a 'storehouse'. The same word is used for Repositories, granaries, and weapons caches. However, the intricate method of entry," he held up the key, "seems to indicate that it might be a Repository. There are texts in both our own library, as well as the Korvosa Library that have general knowledge about the Repositories, as well as specific notes about the known Repositories, and what mechanisms were used to secure them. I'd think that a day's study would get you all you need to know. Again, I refer you to Captain Sorgi to find out his timetable, and go from there. See me before you leave."

With that, Stiles turned and walked over to the closed sitting room where Lady Dacilane and the Pharasman watched over the child. A knock on the door, some soft words, and Stiles was inside.

What do you do now?

Fuzzies
2012-03-15, 10:54 AM
"Perhaps we should split up. You and Arwen go to the libraries and find out what you can about the Repositories, while Kargath and I see Captain Sorgi and then visit Talbert and get the necropolis items sorted out. Is there anything you want me to look for, supplies-wise? Other than the wand of healing, I mean?"

I assume we'll go with the loot allocation posted in the OOC thread. Does anyone want any new items in particular?

Airanath
2012-03-15, 12:12 PM
"I could use a stash of arrows, I used up a whole quiver back in the necropolis. See if you can pick up some ball-point arrows, they don't fly as ninbly but are great to crush bones. I have my doubts if there are alchemical arrows in stock, but some coated in alchemist fire would be nice to carry." Arwen quickly starts reciting his to buy list, eager to go to the library.
Specially because he needs to borrow some reading material, this sounds like a long trip, and guard duty might ask for something to keep him up.
I will go over the list on the ooc. dumb phone riht now.

stack
2012-03-17, 07:42 PM
Arthur nods. "As much as I would like to stay and see this through, time is of the essence. I'll be in the guild library. We can go to the city library if we have time tomorrow. Maybe father will help."

Once among the stacks of aged tomes, Arthur truly feels at home, diving into a series of likely looking volumes, his eagerness banishing thought of sleep. Occasionally pages flutter in an errant breeze, the quiet broken by the mysterious sounds he long-since learned to ignore.

I forget about the minor haunted things, thought I'd toss them in.

Airanath
2012-03-19, 09:05 AM
"Arthur..." Arwen calls for his companion, while chasing a paper plane made.from one of his friends notes, "I think of the kids followed us here
Arwen helps to the best of his abilities, as history isn't one of his fields of study, due to a tendency to lose focus on the class, the elf stays there all night, reading random books about spellcrafting, planes and portals, and.ocasionally playing with his friends haunt.

Fuzzies
2012-03-19, 02:35 PM
Lisane took Kargath and their bags of swag down to the Lodge to visit Talbert once more. "Hello Master Dothwhittle. We brought you back some gear worn by undead from an ancient necropolis. Come and see. I also have a shopping list from the others. They chose to go to the library instead of coming to see you. But Kargath and I are ready to see what wonders you have for us."

She began pulling the arms, armor, and othedr items from the pack and laying them out for the gnome to review.

Firebeard
2012-03-21, 10:22 AM
The gnome practically squealed with delight as he saw the ancient arms and armor being laid out before him. With mutters of "Fourth Dynasty" and "Haven't seen this scrollwork before" he inspected everything, and then went back and rechecked his work. Then, he sorted the jewels, getting out a loupe to inspect their innards. Some he put in felt-covered boxes, others were tossed into a bin filled with other small stones. Finally, he looked at the blue sand hourglass and the silver platters.

"You have brought us back a fine treasure here," he said in his squeaky voice. "Not to mention the library of books that I hear you found. I trust you didn't tear up any of them for kindling this time, Kargath?"

"Nah," the dwarf answered with a bit of a grin. "Tha' elf and th' moon boy weren't like t' let me do anythin' like tha'. Practically swoonin' over them books, they was."

"And rightly so. Those books are a bigger treasure than anything I have in here...assuming we can get them out of there and restore them. Still, it seems a magnificent haul for a group so new to the Pathfinders. I can see why Captain Stiles is sending you off on this next little venture. I mean, he can hardly send Perkins and Dwight, can he? Poor Perkins' leg may be be able to be reattached. And Dwight's gone all funny in the head since he picked up that Crystal Skull. I don't know what we're going to do about them. Now, you said you had a shopping list?"

The gnome went through the stacks and bales of goods as Lisane told him the list she had gotten from the others. In no time, there was a small bag of holding, containing all their new goods, and a chit for a weapon enchantment. Between the goods and their Lodge tithe, they only had a little over 200g to split between them, but all on all it was still a tidy sum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, at the Library, Arthur and Arwen were having less luck. The source material on Repositories was very small, just a few short books, and a couple of parchments. Basically, all they got out of these was that Repositories were very well guarded, both with traps and with more animated means of protection.

Alaznist had a reputation for being violent, and surely any repository of his would be guarded by the most vicious of protections. Arthur was able to find one parchment that had a drawing of a symbol lock from the time of Alaznist's rule. It had been used in sealing a high functionary's tomb, as well as one or two other important sites. He made a copy of it on his own parchment, hoping that it might come in handy.

Arwen spent his time a little less focused, though not entirely distracted. He found a map of the Gulf of Varisia, with a large number of islands filled in. There were even small details about most of the islands in neat little tables on the back of the map. The legend was very clear, if in an older form of Varisian. It was quite readable though. In a rush, he brought the map back to Arthur, who immediately sent for one of the library clerks. After promising special dispensation from his father, he got the clerk to magically duplicate the map and notes. Surely it would come in handy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Sorgi was not one to wait any longer than necessary for a trip to be off. He grudgingly gave Lisane and Kargath his word that the ship would not sail until the next day, "but come mid-afternoon tide, we are leavin', with ye or without!"

stack
2012-03-21, 11:51 AM
Arthur is disappointed when informed that they will not have more time to research. "I'll stay though the night. Better, I'll go to the great library. Wouldn't be the first time I stayed up all night reading there. Too bad we can't do any research in the crypt, who knows what we could find out...Anyway, there will be plenty of time to sleep on the ship, right?"

"Maybe...Arwen, you want to come with me and ask Stiles for permission to check the crypt library for anything about the repositories? Everything there should be dead. Or dead again. Not moving. I would like to have someone in case I fall asleep. Be bad, sleeping there, at least until things have had time to lose their taint. If you don't want to, I'll just go to the main library. Be good to talk to father again. No one knows that place like he does. Will you have time to get your bow enchanted?"

Fuzzies
2012-03-21, 03:03 PM
Lisane earned a few dirty looks from the library clerks as she stomped in wearing her dirty traveling leathers and armor, and with Kargath in tow. She told the other two when Sorgi wanted to leave, and then got any final purchasing requirements from them. If they wanted to stay up all night pouring over manuscripts, that was all well and good. But, she was determined to be well-rested when they set off.

"You and Arwen just let me know if you need anything. Send a runner to the Lodge to find me. I'm going to get our traveling rations and other provisions taken care of. Any idea from that map the size of the island? Or the general area of the search?"

Airanath
2012-03-21, 03:33 PM
Before Arwen was even done considering if the risk of springing another trap was worth the time with the necropolis library, Lisane comes bearing news of their tight schedule.
"Guess that settles it as a no, we won't make it in time if we go there and come back." the elf says disapointed, but kind of relieved from having the decision and risk taken out of his hands at this time. "By the time we are back the books will probably be restored and safely stashed at the lodge, guess we can check them when we return."

stack
2012-03-22, 07:42 AM
Arthur looks disappointed and relieved. "Oh well. I'll spend the night in the great library then. Been meaning to visit. Send for me in the morning, I won't miss the ship."

Arthur spends the evening and night diving into books, chatting with his father, and consuming anything that may help keep him awake.

knowledge history [roll0]

aid another from his father or library bonus? I presume several pots of tea are a negligible expense.

Firebeard
2012-03-22, 07:57 AM
@Arthur

Between your father's knowledge and the books and parchments you were able to find, you learned quite a bit about the Runelords in general, and Alaznist, the Warlord of Wrath,in particular.

The kingdom of Thassilon was founded more than 11,000 years ago by First King Xin who had been exiled from his homeland of Azlant for promoting heretical beliefs. As the empire grew beyond the bounds of Xin's ability to control, both militarily and administratively, he appointed powerful arcanists as governors to oversee his lands. The mightiest of these were the Runelords, seven of the most skilled (and power-hungry) wizards in Thassilon, if not all of Golarion. Working secretly to secure power for themselves, the opportunity to fully escape servitude under First King Xin appeared when he, in his old age and after having ruled Thassilon for more than a century, destroyed himself and much of his palace in a mysterious magical event. The Runelords siezed the opportunity and subjugated those loyal to Xin - including his own son, who became a puppet emperor - while each plotted within his or her own lands to become ruler of all Thassilon.

The Virtues of Rule (wealth, fertility, honest pride, abundance, eager striving, righteous anger, and well-deserved rest), passed down from the goddess Lissala and First King Xin himself were seen as the benefits of power, and each of the runelords was drawn towards one of the seven. Over the course of time, the runelords corrupted these into what modern scholars understand to be the "great sins of the soul," abandoning the positive aspects of each and embracing the negative connotations of each (greed, lust, boastful pride, gluttony, envy, wrath, and sloth) as the rewards of rule. Each of the seven rulers specialized in a single school of rune magic and possessed a mighty weapon which not only served them in battle, but also became a symbol of their rule.

Alaznist was the last Thassilonian Runelord of Wrath who ruled for many years over her realm of Bakrakhan. She is believed to have retreated from view along with the other runelords during Earthfall, and it is unknown whether she survived that cataclysm. She ruled from her capital of Xin-Bakrakhan, the City of Wrath, which is believed to have been located on what is now the island of Hollow Mountain in the Varisian Gulf. As she has been gone for almost 10,000 years, no one can be sure of exactly what she looked like, although statues that have been found depict her as a beautiful, yet enraged human woman with long hair, flowing robes, and wielding a thorny ranseur. She is said to have been impatient and impulsive, caring little for magical research, and preferred modifying her many troops by magical means.

Alaznist is said to have been a worshiper of many kinds of demons, who shared her enthusiasm for violence and destruction. Most important to her, however, was the pure veneration of anger and wrath. In order to encourage these traits in her subjects, she built many runewells which could absorb the souls of wrathful mortals in order to further her power and create sinspawn. The Runelord of Wrath seems to have directed most of her anger toward her fellow runelord, Karzoug. The two were in a state of perpetual warfare, constantly battling at the border their two realms shared. She constructed the Hellstorm Flumes along this border in order to scorch harassing armies from miles away. She is also known to have used runeslave giants as living siege weapons, and is said to have created reefclaws in order to protect her rivers and other bodies of water.

stack
2012-03-22, 08:19 AM
Arthur joins the others, late in the morning. His eyes are blood-shot, heavily bagged. "I...had a long night. But we learned much. So much. I only hope that most of what would have been there has weakened or died in the years since Earthfall. Though after the last tomb we were in..."

He gives a brief summary of what they found. (read above)

"So, in short, giants, demons, magic warriors, sinspawn, and a whole pile of anger. I need a nap, if I can even sleep after all that. Sorry if I seem grumpy, that particular portion of history does not put one in a charitable frame of mind toward humanity." From the looks of him, sleep will not actually be an issue, even if it is troubled.

"You should have come Arwen. Lots of books."

Airanath
2012-03-22, 04:04 PM
"I would love to join, but maybe at an earlier hour next time? I need my proper rest if I am to use my magic, it doesn't respond so well if my body, mind, or both are weary." Arwen replies, longing to see the library, but weary of missing his sleep, which, he learnt the hard way, can be dangerous for a magus.
Besides, its hard to focus properly on the arcane formulae if I am sleepy, I might well mistake a gesture or word and cast a spell that fries me with electricity instead of channeling such through my blade."

stack
2012-03-23, 07:38 AM
As they head to the ship, Arthur speaks to Arwen (assuming the others would be bored). "I had this idea, came to me when I dozed off between tomes but before the nightmares. There is a spell I read off, uses demon-magic to heal quickly, more reliably than my spell. So I wondered if we could re-work it, change the arcane structure to be powered by positive energy, celestial instead of demonic? Not sure I can do it myself, but I think, if we work together, it might work. Pretty sure you would be able to use it as well. Even if it doesn't work I bet we would learn a lot. Give us something to do on the ship anyhow." His excitement at the idea is evident through his weariness.

have to look up the costs for researching a spell...

Fuzzies
2012-03-23, 07:49 AM
Lisane talked with Kargath about the provisions they had bought and the things that Talbert had told them about the items they carried. She also listened with half an ear to Arthur and Arwen's conversation. "If you guys could work that up, it would be a real benefit. I have a feeling we are going to need all the help we can get on this particular job."

"Once we get underway, maybe you two could fill Kargath and me in on the information you found in the Library about the repositories and such. I know you relayed some of that yesterday, but we need to go over it in detail. The maps too."

Airanath
2012-03-24, 08:22 AM
"Now that sounds interesting Arthur!" Arwen laughs with the possibility of figuring out the inner workings of a spell and modifying it, "I think I even brought a book that could help, one of the books I brought is a spellcraft reference, sure to come be handy for this. Shouldn't be so hard, we won't need to create it from scratch, just reverse engineer and alter the magic source, the flows should be pretty much the same."

Arwen runs to his traveling stuff and looks for the book, he comes back with it already open, looking for something in the text.

"You know if the spell has any arcane components? Those usually are necessary exactly to set a source for the spell, if not, might be harder to trace the spell back."

Firebeard
2012-03-25, 02:27 PM
Arthur and Arwen handed over the maps they had found to Lisane and Kargath as they went off to research the healing spell they were interested in. The spell research itself wasn't difficult, but it took them two days to learn how to combine their respective fields of divine and arcane spellcraft into a common arcane matrix upon which to build the healing spell. On the third day, Arwen, flushed with excitement, burst out of their cabin and onto the main deck of the ship. He found Lisane and Kargath squatting on barrels, with the map of Varisia spread between them on a crate, daggers holding the map open for them to study. Arthur followed the elf, no less proud of his efforts, but a little less effusive than Arwen.

Map of Varisia (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/Varisia.png), including the Varisian gulf, where you are headed.

As they relayed their success with Lisane and Kargath, Captain Sorgi sauntered over to listen in. "Well now, it seems you've had some luck there. There'd be a goodly number of scholars and mage-folk that would be mighty happy to get their hands on that one. Oh, I got something for ya. Quentin was good enough to get this to me via a storm petrel that flew in last evening. Seems his man on the ground made a map of the island for you, but never made it off himself. Apparently, he runned into some bad folks, and just barely managed to send this away before he got caught. I recognize the general shape of the island, but I've never set hull on it. The northern part there is full of reefs and such, and leads to a sheer cliff, a hunnerd, hunnerd-fifty feet tall. A veritable ship graveyard. If you want me to set you down on land, you'd best pick someplace else."

With that, Captain Sorgi spread the parchment out on the crate top, moving the daggers so that they rested on the new map as well as the old.

Hand drawn map of Bloodfen Island (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/BloodfenIsland.jpg). There are some shorthand notes on it, but nothing you can figure out, exactly.

stack
2012-03-26, 07:51 AM
Arthur studies the map carefuly. Always loved maps...so much to see, far off places, you can just imagine...but this is real. And immediate.

"Who is there that would have taken him? Should we try to rescue him? This settlement, in the north-west, looks like a stockade of some sort. I wonder if there is anyone there who might help, or hinder, us. Hinder more likely, from the sounds of it. Could we go up one of these rivers, get closer to the ruins while staying on ship? Probably don't know how navigable they are. I presume the stepped ziggurat is the repository, from our research. I wonder who's fortress that is..."
knowledge geography & history for who might be on this island, with a fortress

[roll0] history
[roll1] geography

Firebeard
2012-03-27, 08:13 AM
@Arthur

The Varisian Gulf is well-known for its pirates, smugglers, and recluses. There could be any number of parties responsible for buildings or villages on the island. Too bad the author didn't leave any clue as to where the repository was...

stack
2012-03-27, 08:40 AM
"Well...the ziggurate seems likely. Or maybe the mountain. Be easiest to navigate to the first I suppose. Plus we can get closer, maybe, using the river. Anyone else have any thoughts?"

Need that super knowledge bonus. Be great to have a 'divine flash' and just know stuff.

Fuzzies
2012-03-27, 09:58 AM
"I really can't see much difference here in where we start. The ziggurat or the castle would be likely places. Also, the mountain would give a good vantage point to look over the island if we need it. Any idea how big this island is? There's no scale indication. And what are these symbols here? It's like some kind of shorthand or code."

Lisane studied the map and said softly, almost to herself, "This looks familiar somehow, I just can't place it. Like a memory from another life, or a dream..." Louder, she said "If I had to bet, I'd say here, at the South end of the island. It looks like there is a road leading directly to the castle. If I were going to have to pick a spot, this would be it."

Edit: Shame on you, Firebeard! :smallamused:

Firebeard
2012-03-29, 02:04 PM
You are still looking at the map when a strangled sound is heard from the lookout above. You look up in time to see him fall from the crow's nest, getting tangled int the rigging as he fell. Another sailor nearby screamed in pain as an arrow embedded itself in his arm. Shouts of alarm rang out over the ship as grappling hooks flew from the sea and bit into the wooden rails. Humanoids that looked like a cross between fish and frog began scaling the ropes as others poured crossbow fire at anyone exposed on deck.

Kargath jerked back from the rail as a bolt screamed across his shoulder. His movement jostled the makeshift table, and the daggers rolled to one side, freeing the two maps. The wind immediately blew the parchments aside, sending them headed for the port rail.

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/SecondDarkness/ship1a.png), you are all up.

kargath takes 4 damage

reflex save from anyone attempting to stop the maps from blowing overboard as a standard action.

stack
2012-03-29, 02:15 PM
Awesome ship map, bye the way

Arthur spins around, taking stock of the situation and leaving the maps to those who don't trip on their own feet. He raises a hand toward the creature climbing the side. "Turn on your companion." What are they and why are they attacking us?

"Captain, is this normal?"

knowledge (?) [roll0] to identify assailants (only +4 and untrained if local)

full round to cast a bouncing murderous command on U5, bouncing to T7 if it makes the save, DC15 or attack nearest ally

Firebeard
2012-03-29, 02:21 PM
@Arthur

The fishmen appear to be Skum, amphibious denizens of the deep thought to have been created by the aboleths in ancient times as a slave race. They are often seen as raiders on ships and coastal communities.

The captain spun and shouted "Skum!" in a bellow that might have carried all the way back to Korvosa. He drew a cutlass from his belt and began hacking at the rope attached to the nearest grappling hook.

Thanks, but I stole the map. It's actually a scan of the ship flipmat from paizo. i just imported it into maptools.

Fuzzies
2012-03-30, 07:31 AM
Lisane darted a hand out to snatch the maps before they blew overboard.

reflex roll [roll0]

Firebeard
2012-03-30, 09:10 AM
Lisane's hand reaches out and snatches the parchments out of the air, pinning them to the crate they were using as a table. The hand-drawn map tears a little, but at least it didn't go overboard.

Airanath
2012-03-30, 09:18 PM
Arwen was almost falling asleep over the maps, bored with how many times they went over them uselessly, without enough info or map key, all their conclusions are just grasping at straws, it was no wonder he actually noticed the Skums fast, we was looking at that strange green fish for a while after all, and wondering if he could catch some in a net to study, biology, that is a more noble science than cartography after all.

As the Skums start their raid, the magus draws his bow and fires two arrows at the one closest to the ship he can see.

V15? Considering its already climbing and about to engage the sailor it makes the perfect target.
Rapid Shot:
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Firebeard
2012-03-31, 09:09 AM
Arthur's mental command caused the lead skum to pause a moment before shaking its head and continuing on to the ship's railing. The one in the water, however, glared at its companion. It continued to stare at him for a long moment before casually putting a crossbow bolt in the climbing skum's back.

Arwen dropped one that was climbing near the prow, putting two arrows into the vulnerable raider and sending it splashing into the water. The corpse bobbed in the waves before the ship left it behind. Another one quickly took its place, however, climbing hand over hand rapidly, despite the apparent issues with webbed hands.

As Lisane snatched up the map, Kargath ]ran to the starboard side of the ship and prepared to flatten a skum raider as soon as it popped over the lip. He hit the thing at the same time as the sailor beside him, sending the thing splashing back into the water below.

General fighting broke out on the deck of the ship as more raiders made it aboard. Some skum stayed int he water, launching crossbow bolts at any target that showed itself.

You're up!

Here's the map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/ship2a.png)

stack
2012-03-31, 12:22 PM
Stymied, Arthur again focuses on the leader. "Maybe you didn't hear me?"

full round to cast a bouncing murderous command on U5, bouncing to T7 if it makes the save, DC15 or attack nearest ally

I figure that the leader is the most dangerous and the most likely to deal damage to another one, so two birds and all that.

Fuzzies
2012-04-03, 07:17 AM
Lisane crammed the parchments into a pocket, heedless of the damage to the fine skins. Then, she whipped Alrathien from her back and charged the frogman nearest her. It gained the ship just before she got there, and she leveled a blow to knock it back into the water.

Charge u14

attack [roll0], PA
damage [roll1]

Firebeard
2012-04-05, 11:44 AM
Again, Arthur's command is resisted by the lead skum, and again the one in the water takes aim and plugs the first one in the back. The crossbow bolt tears out through the first creature's chest and it slumped to the deck.

Together, Kargath and the sailor manage to toss their frogman from the ship, unconscious and bleeding, and then rush to the aft deck to help the female halfling, Kenzie, deal with hers.

Arwen launched a pair of arrows at the skum on the foredeck again, missing narrowly as the sailor there shoved the thing back with his cutlass.

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/SecondDarkness/ship2b.png)

stack
2012-04-05, 12:08 PM
Arthur rushes to the aft to get close to the rearmost skum, then remembers he isn't holding a weapon. He skids to a stop and draws his morningstar. "Arwen, keep hitting the ones in the water. We should be able to take care of the ones on the deck." Abadar knows I'm no good fighting at a distance.

move to Y-14, standard to draw morningstar

Fuzzies
2012-04-06, 12:28 PM
Lisane turns to see the deck mostly clear. Arwen's target was still going toe to toe with a sailor on the foredeck, and Kargath looked to be in control in the aft of the ship. So, Lisane hastened towards the lone skum in the fore. She navigated the deck with ease, gliding over spars and coils of rope as she moved. She climbed the forward ladder and launched a massive strike at the raider.

move to Y/17 and attack, PA
attack[roll0]
damage [roll1]

Airanath
2012-04-09, 07:29 AM
Arwen positions himself so the Skum is between him and the sailor, unwilling to waste arrows.
5 feet step to X 10, then rapid shotting at the skum.
attack1:[roll0][roll1]
attack2:[roll2][roll3]

Firebeard
2012-04-11, 05:43 AM
In a flurry of arrows and blades, the last skum on deck fell to the wood planking. The ones in the water barked commands and then dove beneath the waves. With that, the raid was over.

Captain Sorgi came over and said, "Thank you for your assistance. The skum have been stepping up their raids in this region over the last year, and no one is sure why. Still, I thought that out here, so far from shore, we would be less likely to be in danger. We'll set an extra lookout, especially in the night.

"We're only about a day or two out from the island now. Have you decided where to land? "

stack
2012-04-11, 08:58 AM
Arthur takes a moment to catch his breath, putting his morningstar away as we walks back to the captain. "I wonder why they would be attacking more...strange. Is something driving them, or are they just more numerous? Hmm. Anyway, I believe we want to land on the south of the island, though we were having trouble deciding where. I still think the ziggurat looks the oldest, architecturally anyway, so seems the most likely. Will we be able to take a small boat with us up the river, or do you not have any to spare?"

Firebeard
2012-04-11, 05:01 PM
"I can definitely use a launch to put you ashore, but I don't know about the river. We'll see when we get there. My memory of the place is not too clear. I just don't know if it is navigable or not. "

Airanath
2012-04-22, 07:25 PM
"I have to agree the ziggurat looks the oldest, let's give it a look first, if we find lots of undead right by the door, I am willing to bet its the right place." Arwen nervously replies, not really keen with meeting more undead, but excited at the prospect of finding the vault.

Firebeard
2012-04-23, 09:24 AM
The seas around the island were relatively calm, despite the heavy winds blowing in from the west. Captain Sorgi had the ship come close to the river deltas, but there was no indication that the ship would be able to move in closer than 100 yards from shore. "I can put ye on a launch, and have my men row you to shore, but the river ain't navigable."

Sorgi anchored the ship off the coral reefs to the south of where the map showed the ziggurat. A launch was quickly dropped over the side, and a half dozen sailors held the boat while you climbed down the netting. Kargath grumbled when a large wave splashed water up the side of the ship, soaking his legs, but you all managed the transition with relative ease.

With smooth strokes of the oars, the sailors took you in to the sparkling white sand of the beach. The lush jungle bordering the beach was filled with animal and bird noises, and the sand seemed to shimmer slightly under the mid-day heat. From the beach, the ziggurat was not visible, though you had been able to see the top of the stone temple from the ship.

The jungle is pretty dense. It would make for difficult travel. You might want to look around for a path. The beach goes from NW to SE. Which direction do you start looking?

stack
2012-04-23, 07:48 PM
Arther silently laments the salt water filling his boots as they land, but quickly turns his attention to more important matters.

"Well, we want to stay West of the river. Perhaps we ought look East for a path. If we hit the river without finding one, we can strike West. Though I would expect one near the river, any civilization that was here would certainly find it useful, right?"

Airanath
2012-04-23, 10:40 PM
Arwen jumps to the water as soon as his feet can touch the ground, and runs to the dry part of the beach. "Finally some dry land, the ship was fun, but I miss being able to walk without minding my...", he trips as he runs and falls , wetting himself all over, "...my step."
"So much for that now, guess I got used to the swinging motions..." he complains as he starts to dry his clothes and armor with his magic.

He looks around, taking in the scenery, forgetting about his luggage, still in the launch untill the sailors ask him if he is not going to take anything but a bow with him.

"I guess the river is nice path or no path, one way or another it is a path all by itself. Or we could look for a road and then follow the river if we don't find one within a few hours walking, I don't want to spend all day walking just to camp without finding anything."

Fuzzies
2012-04-24, 07:58 AM
Lisane jumps lightly from the launch to the sand of the beach. She waves at the sailors as they head back to the ship, and then she turns to regard the jungle expanse before them. "Well, I imagine you are right. Any way is as good as any other. This place didn't look too large, so backtracking shouldn't be an issue."

Once everyone had agreed upon the direction, Lisane set out, keeping a sharp eye on the jungle to their left. You never knew what kind of creatures lived in a place like that, nor when they would decide to stop being hospitable and try and chase you away...or down.

Perception: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

Firebeard
2012-04-25, 08:54 AM
The jungle abounds with the calls of birds and animals as you trudge up the beach, looking for a path or clearing through the trees to head towards the temple. About a half hour of walking through the shifting sands, Lisane's keen eyes spot a break in the trees.

Upon closer examination, it appears to be a game trail, about 4 feet wide and marked heavily with the tracks of many animals. It heads in a vaguely northerly direction, but not very far before turning back to the west. Still, it is the best chance you have seen so far.

stack
2012-04-25, 09:14 AM
Arthur shrugs when Lisane points out the path. "Seems our best option. Uhm, would you lead the way, Lisane? I haven't spent much time in the woods. Read about them, lots of stories happen in the forests and jungles. There was this great book about an orphan in Mwalangi...anyway, you're probably should lead."

Fuzzies
2012-04-25, 10:19 AM
"Of course, Arthur. That is what I was trained for after all. Part of being in the Silent Sisters is the ability to scout and track through woods and jungle. Stay about 60 feet behind me and let Kargath cover the backtrail. I'll let you know if there's anything worth worrying about ahead."

With that, Lisane set out up the trail. She didn't attempt to move in total silence, but a few minutes in the forest was all she needed to recall her training and move swiftly, but quietly along the trail.

Lisane will pause regularly and extend her senses to make sure they aren't being followed, trailed to the side, or running up on dange ahead. She has a +8 perception modifier if you need to roll for her.

Firebeard
2012-04-25, 10:59 AM
Lisane sets a good pace through the forest; the path is easy to follow and wide enough to make travel easy. Though she hears plenty of wildlife, nothing appears to be large enough to make much of a threat to the party. After a half hour, or so, she spotted wispy threads of webbing in the trees around the trail. Alert, she spotted denser webs deeper in the woods. Around the next bend, across the trail was strung a giant spiderweb. No spider was evident, but the web certainly looked thick enough to hold a small animal or halfling.

stack
2012-04-25, 11:06 AM
Arthur gives an involuntary shudder as he looks at the web. "Well, at least this spider won't require us to crawl through a tiny tunnel."

know (everything) [roll0] to try to guess at the type of spider that made the web

Airanath
2012-04-25, 07:27 PM
"Hopefully it won't have kids at least half as big as it is either..."

Firebeard
2012-04-27, 08:18 AM
@Arthur

Oops. Apparently the server ate my post.

The opalescent colors in the webbing identifies the web as that of a Dream Spider. The strands contain a hallucinogenic compound that drains a creature's will to exert themselves. As you recall, the vapors given off by burning Dream Spider webbing are quite toxic.

stack
2012-04-27, 08:24 AM
Arthur looks a touch concerned as he studies the web. "Uhm, let's not burn it. Its from a dream spider, the web could make us lethargic if toughed, or if we burn it. Let's just go around, or cut through. Though cutting it might disturb the spider. Lisane, any way around?"

Fuzzies
2012-04-27, 08:32 AM
Lisane drew Alrathien from her back and readied it for a clean overhand strike. "If the spiider's about, we'll take care of it. And unless these webs are stronger than I think, we should be able to cut through and move on in just a moment."

She brought her curveblade down in a sweeping arc, slashing through the webbing and trying not to touch any of it.

Perception [roll0] to spot spider

Firebeard
2012-04-27, 12:16 PM
The enchanted curveblade easily cut through the webbing, sending strands whipping all about the ranger. She deftly avoided the webbing, though it took some contortions on her part. Of the spider, there was no sign. Perhaps it had taken the wise route of hiding when such large creatures were about.

Beat the reflex DC by 1. Lucky girl!

50XP to everyone.

Lisane took point again, and led the group further on along the trail. It was another hour before she saw anything worrying. The sun was beginning to set, and Lisane was looking for a good place to make camp when she saw it. A dark form off in the trees to her right, carrying what looked like a large polearm. It looked like a woman, heavily armed and armored, and apparently stalking the group.

stack
2012-04-27, 12:57 PM
Arthur sees the figure when it is pointed out. He steps forward. "Umh, hello there. Mind stepping out here to talk. I'm Arthur. My friends and I are...on a...well we have business here. Mind telling us who you are?"

He keeps his weapon low, but in hand, just in case. Stranger in the wood...ally or enemy...could go either way. Maybe a mysterious challenger offering a strange quest? Nah, already on one of those.

Fuzzies
2012-04-27, 01:17 PM
Catching sight of the woman, Lisane drew her bow and had an arrow nocked and ready to fly in a bare moment. Before she let fly, however, she paused to consider the ramifications of unprovoked attack. "Answer quickly. There's been a rash of sudden deaths around us lately."

Stormwind
2012-04-27, 02:13 PM
The dark figure takes a single step forward out of the shadows, a last ray of light from the setting sun illuminating her face. A plain looking woman, with red hair held back with a crimson headscarf. The light glints off the metal blade of the glaive she holds defensively, and the steel breastplate she wears. "Uhmm .. greetings. I'm Elaine. Uhmm, .. I need to ... uhmm .. oh drat! If I might just ask you a single question. Does the name Stiles mean anything to you?"

Fuzzies
2012-04-27, 03:08 PM
Lisane lowered the bow a fraction and her visage softened. "Stiles? Quentin Stiles? How do you know Stiles? Did he send you here as well? Why not tell us?"

stack
2012-04-27, 03:16 PM
"Perhaps ours wasn't the fastest ship. Or he has other means to send messages." He gathers himself, extending a welcoming hand. "A fellow pathfinder I presume? You are fully briefed, I trust. Not that it would be a long briefing, given our present knowledge. No spider troubles?"

Stormwind
2012-04-27, 04:19 PM
"You are pathfinders", she sighs happily, the tension leaving her, as she shifts the glaive to a one handed grip, "I couldn't be sure, that's why I was following you. I hope you'll forgive me for that by the way, but I had to be sure. Stile's message only said that he was sending a team."

A concerned expression reappears on her face as she shakes Arthur's hand and assimilates his words, "Fully briefed? I don't know what Stiles told you, but I need your help. A fellow pathfinder is in trouble. He's still alive - or he was, but he is being held by a group of treasure hunters. Six of them - too many for me to deal with alone. And they are beating information out of him. I've been following them for the best part of two days now, but I've not been able to come up with a way to get him out of their hands"

Elaine turns and looks over at Lisane, "Yes I'm a pathfinder. I was in Riddleport when I got an emergency message from Stiles, and I came out here as soon as I found a captain crazy enough to make the trip. It took me a while to find them, the treasure hunters, but it's been little enough that I've been able to do since. Naught but follow them and watch them beat our poor brother for information."

She pauses and looks at Arthur again, "Spiders, no. Why do you ask?"

Airanath
2012-04-27, 05:23 PM
Arwen names three adventure logs from pathfinders who had problems with spider at least once every other time they left the lodge.
"We are on our second sighting, even if this one was just the webs in the trees..."

"One way or another, a pleasure to meet you, I am Arwen", the frail looking elf, with silvery hair bows in greeting.

Is there a way for us to pick that web up safely? Maybe process it into something alchemical?

Firebeard
2012-04-27, 05:37 PM
@Arwen
If you had any gloves on you, I'd allow you to make a Craft: Alchemy check to see if you could gather them safely. You may or may not be able use them...but I'd imagine with an Alchemy Lab and a little time you could work up some some of sleep-inducing poison.

Stormwind
2012-04-28, 11:00 AM
The tall redhead nods, "I can understand your dislike. Not too keen on spiders myself, but I can think of much worse."
She grimaces at the thought, then curtesy's back in response to Arwen's bow .. or at least as much of a curtesy as one can do whilst wearing a breastplate, gauntlets, and carrying a seven foot long pole weapon, [ elven ]"Pleased to make your acquaintance Arwen"[ /elven ]

Now that Elaine is presumably in close proximity to you all, and the situation isn't about to descend into chaos ...
Description of Elaine
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1286220235306/races/core-races/human/PZO9211-ElizaPetulengro.jpg?height=193&width=125&border=2

A tall, albeit rather plain looking woman with green eyes and shoulder length red hair, Elaine's olive skin is well tanned, a silent testament to having spent much time outdoors.
She is clothed in simple earthy garb, a drab brown woolen skirt, a sturdy belt, a soft cream colored linen shirt over which is worn steel breastplate, a well made hooded cloak and sturdy leather boots. A crimson headscarf holds her red hair in place and she holds a glaive in her gauntleted right hand, the sharp blade glinting in the light.

stack
2012-04-28, 07:37 PM
Arthur listens gravely to her explanation. When she finishes, he speaks thoughtfully, "Well, can you lead us to take a look? With all of us we have more options, maybe we can figure out a plan. Could you sketch their encampment? Five against six isn't so bad. We've seen worse, and in less pleasant places?"

He sticks out his jaw, feeling quite the grizzled veteran.

Stormwind
2012-04-29, 07:11 AM
The redhead crouches down and picks up a small stick from the ground. Using the stick much like a pen, she draws a rough sketch in the dirt.

"Their encampment isin a clearing about a quarter mile along the path, and sure, I can lead you there. Typically Torven, .. our brother pathfinder .. he's tied tightly to a tree, about ... here. They usually have two on guard at any time during the night."

She pauses, then adds, "During the day they move around a bit, but they come back to the same encampment each night - or at least they have so far."

Fuzzies
2012-04-29, 01:05 PM
Lisane looked on as Elaine sketched the camp and spoke of the plight of their brother Pathfinder. She nodded as Elaine talked about the treatment of Torven, and his bonds. "Well, it is nearing dark now. Do we wait to strike until after nightfall? Or go in at dusk? I know I can get in close before anyone can see me, but the others..." She looked at Arthur and Kargath pointedly.

"Let's wait until an hour after nightfall. I'll come in from this direction," she indicated where Torvath was normally tied up to a tree, "and cut Torvath's bonds before the attack. You come in from the opposite direction, and I'll stike from behind as soon as you have their attention. If by some chance they spot me, come in screaming. Any questions?"

Airanath
2012-04-30, 02:16 AM
"Their fire should be light enough for me to fire some arrows and get some of them to the woods. If they are lighting one in their camp that is?" Arwen waits a moment for a reply.
"Also, I still have those arrows we found with the thugs... Didn't really find an use for them on those skeletons, turns out I might find a great use on some other thugs" he grins as he speaks his plans.

stack
2012-04-30, 07:27 AM
"If there are two guards, I can set one on the other. Should buy us a bit of distraction. If we can remove a few before they can react we ought be able to settle matter with some speed. I will cast a light spell somewhere I can hide it so that I can still see after we attack, even if there is no fire. So hard and fast makes it easy on us and hard on them?"

If he had taken a moment to step back and consider matters, he would have been quite surprised at the change in himself, the awkward librarian sounding for than half the grizzled warrior he had just pretended to be.

Stormwind
2012-04-30, 08:25 AM
GM@Firebeard: Hopefully the details below are correct, if not I trust you'll rectify any mistakes I've made :smallcool:

Elaine replies first to Lisane, "I think waiting for an hour after nightfall would be fine, and I can ensure that they notice me when I approach. You might need to wait until I get their attention before you approach Torven and cut him loose depending on the guard's position."
Responding to Arwen next, Elaine notes, "They've had a campfire, so I presume they'll have one tonight. Regardless the light of the moon and the stars might be enough for those of you with superior vision.", she pauses, then adds "The area around me will be well illuminated and I intend to be in the thick of things, so that should help with regards to having enough light to see by."
Elaine then responds to Arthur, "Dissent in their ranks would definitely be helpful"

Finally Elaine gains a concerned expression on her face, "I know not how capable these treasure hunters are, but should we need to retreat it might be advisable to disperse and meet .. back here? Preferably with Torven in tow."

stack
2012-04-30, 09:43 AM
Arthur nods. "Sounds like we have a plan. Should we get off the road until later, then? Wouldn't want to be spotted too soon, could ruin all our preparations."

He pauses in thought for a moment. "Would there be any benefit to making phantom sounds? Could help distract them."

No other preparations here, other than having weapon drawn before the fight starts. stealth mod is abysmal, -2, so Arthur should stay as far away as possible. Ghost sound might be useful, have to see how it goes. He'll use an extended murderous command to start his part of the plan off. Need 2nd level spells to be able to make it extended & bouncing.

Stormwind
2012-04-30, 11:14 AM
Elaine states, "It might be reasonable for you guys to go through the woods if you can be quiet enough, however I'll walk in along the path. That should keep their attention on the south, namely me, whilst giving Lisane a chance to move in from the northeast and cut Torvan free."

Airanath
2012-04-30, 11:22 AM
"It might. Those arrows work using an ilusion matrix to invoke primal fears, maybe the sounds will make them more receptive to the fear in the first place. As for light... I just need you to enchant one of my arrows with it Arthur, I can shot it in position easily." he pauses a moment, searching his bags for the Screeching Arrows, "Make it this one. If I only have one shot, I'll make it count, I don't need to hit them for the magic to work, so I just need to aim in a way that it scares most of them, and hit somewhere in the camp to give light for everyone else."

stack
2012-04-30, 11:50 AM
"We don't want to risk waking the sleepers though. Better to have then take a moment to get up than to have them all on alert, even if frightened."

Firebeard
2012-04-30, 12:54 PM
You approach the clearing and split up, with Lisane taking off through the woods. There was a tense moment, when Lisane stepped in a hole, and made a slight noise. One of the pickets, a woman who might have had elvish heritage, looked up, but failed to see anything. After a moment, she went back to staring down the path, as Lisane continued to creep forward. Just as she approached the tree where Torven was tied, the guards looked down the trail to the south. The others had been noticed!

Initiatives

Kargath [roll0]
Arwen [roll1]
Arthur [roll2]
Lisane [roll3]
Elaine [roll4]
Torven [roll5]

Round 1 initiatives:

Everyone but Kargath acts before the bad guys.

Torven (1d20+1)[21]
Elaine (1d20+2)[20]
Lisane (1d20+4)[19]
Arthur (1d20-1)[18]
Arwen (1d20+6)[13]
Bad guys [12]
Kargath (1d20+1)[4]

Here is the map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter2a.png)

stack
2012-04-30, 01:17 PM
The trap ready to be sprung, Arthur rushes ahead, morningstar held high. With any luck they won't realize I have magic until I can get a spell off. It is an odd weapon for a librarian...

double move to AAKI 54801 (I had to write that down before posting, a bit harder to remember than A5.

Stormwind
2012-04-30, 02:01 PM
With a glance at Arthur and Kargath, Elaine moves quickly forward alongside the mace wielding fellow pathfinder, her glaive held ready in her grasp and the small everburning stone circling her head.
As she advances on the treasure hunters, her voice rings out clear in the night air, "Villians, reprobates, criminals, ... surrender or face the consequence of your misdeeds"

Double move to (AAKI,54803)

Fuzzies
2012-04-30, 02:14 PM
Lisane quickly drew a dagger and slit the bonds holding Torven to the tree. Then, she readied herself to charge into the clearing and take the rogues from behind - for a change - if they reacted with hostility.

Bhaakon
2012-04-30, 04:12 PM
The dwarf slumps forward as the rope holding him to the tree are sliced, the night's beating still weighting heavily on his sturdy frame. He blinks away his surprise and the dried blood gumming up his right eye, then mutters, "My pack, useless without my pack."

Injured and without a weapon, the dwarf stumbles into the trees.

double move to AAJX-54807

Airanath
2012-04-30, 05:09 PM
Arwen draws his bow even faster than used to, takes one further step, and draws it with one of the screaming arrows, the arrow shape feeling oddly strange due to the markings on it. He quickly knocks the bow sight in place to better aim, and shots, straight for the farthest enemy, a split second later, he shots another arrow at the same enemy.

5 feet step to AAKM 54806.
Rapid Shot AAJZ 54795. Both attacks with an additional -2 because of range, I believe its 20 feet too far for my bow range(110ft). Correct me if I am wrong.
Screaming Arrow(+2): [roll0][roll1]
Normal Arrow: [roll]1d20+4[roll][roll]1d8+2[roll](1d20+4)[20](1d8+2)[9](As per OOC)

Enemies(I believe all) within 20feet from the Screaming Arrow trajectory need to roll a will DC 14 test or become shaken.

Firebeard
2012-05-01, 08:32 AM
As Lisane sneaked in close, Arwen stepped up and fired a pair of arrows. The first let out a screaming howl that startled the sleeping brigands awake, and terrified a few. The second lodged itself in the throat of the guard nearest Lisane and Torven. The man staggered and fell to the ground, gurgling as he drowned in his own blood.

There was mass confusion as the brigands awoke and ran towards the newcomers. In the noise and flurry of motion, Torven sneaked off into the woods, well aware that he was dangerously close to passing out, and that any exertion on his part could lead to an unwelcome end.

The woman standing guard nearest Elaine surged towards the warrioress, lashing our with a curved blade. Elaine easily blocked the blow, but the woman's free hand caught Elaine in the side. Elaine felt a blistering heat as smoke ran up from her side. Kargath tried to blind the woman, but the dwarf missed his attack.

You dropped one already!

Elaine takes 1 acid damage

Round 2 initiatives:

Everyone but Kargath acts before the bad guys.

Torven (1d20+1)[21]
Elaine (1d20+2)[20]
Lisane (1d20+4)[19]
Arthur (1d20-1)[18]
Arwen (1d20+6)[13]
Bad guys [12]
Kargath (1d20+1)[4]

Here is the updated map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter2b.png)

stack
2012-05-01, 08:41 AM
Arthur skids to a stop, hopping back to get clearance to weave his magic. He points to the man in front of him. "You never liked her, did you?" His finger sweeps over to the woman engaging Elaine.

5' step AAKJ 54802
Bouncing murderous command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/murderous-command), Will DC 15, bounce to AAKF 54800 if the first saves

I wanted to bust out extended, but I just couldn't risk him making the save and wasting a turn. Bouncing is lower risk. I love this spell!

Fuzzies
2012-05-01, 08:54 AM
Lisane burst out from the trees, and slammed into the woman nearest her. Alrathien came down with an audible whoosh, as Lisane moved from full sprint to Leaves Falling.

Charge to 54803/AAKC

attack, PA [roll0], AC 16 for the turn
damage [roll1]

Stormwind
2012-05-01, 10:57 AM
As the treasure hunters surge towards them, Elaine's glaive lashes out once, twice, as the treasure hunters move in.Combat reflexes -> Attacks of opportunity vs (AAKH,54801) and (AAKH,54803) as they move through her threatened area (10ft reach).

AoO vs (AAKH,54801): [roll0], damage: [roll1] (this AoO depends on his movement as to whether he provoked - if he moved straight, then he provokes)
AoO vs (AAKH,54803): [roll2], damage: [roll3]

Elaine then takes a single step and once again her glaive lashes out, this time sweeping low at the man before her the man standing before Arthur, as she attempts to trip him.
My bad here - If I can Elaine will select the target in front of her instead of the one in front of Arthur. Of course if either is down, she'll naturally target the other.
5ft step to (AAKJ,54803)
Improved trip -> no AoO
Trip attempt vs (AAKH,54803): [roll4] vs CMD

Bhaakon
2012-05-01, 05:52 PM
Torven stops once he's out of immediate danger. Don't want to get in the way, but I can't let it be said that I'm a coward, either, thinks the proud dwarf as he searches for a pair of fist-sized stones, one for each hand.

perception to find hurl-able rocks, if necessary: [roll0]

Picking up an item is a move action, so that would be one move action for each stone

Airanath
2012-05-01, 09:35 PM
Arwen breathes deeply, still not used or happy at having to kill humanoids, at least, the civilized ones. His mind still focused on the combat, he scans the battlefield for targets, he sees the two enemies still not engaged and fires two arrows at the man. He shoots in an arc, passing over Kargath's head.
"Kargath, duck and use a nutcracker" he shouts one moment before firing, just in case, forgetting what the nutcracker the dwarf so proudly talks about actually means.

Rapid Shot.
Both arrows at AAKE 54802
Attack 1: [1d20+6
Attack 2: [roll2][1d20+6[roll3]

Firebeard
2012-05-02, 07:54 AM
Torven searched the loamy earth in the forest floor for a pair of stones, which were easily enough found. The palm-sized stones were rough and covered with earth, but had a good heft to them.

Lisane's attack from hiding surprised the halfling woman, who spun with a pair of knives in her hands, only to catch Lisane's blade on her sternum. The halfling gave a small cry before crumpling to the ground. Beside them, the burly fighter took a pair of Arwen's arrows to the chest. He too fell to the ground, quite dead.

Eliane's glaive turned the two attackers on her and Arthur into bloody messes, but still they pressed the attack. The bald man fighting Arthur easily leaped over the swinging glaive as Arthur hurriedly backed away. Arthur's spell made teh man stop for a moment, and then he shook his head clear and came after the Oracle. A steel-hard foot shot up to catch Arthur under the ribs, blasting the air from his lungs and snapping a rib.

The elven magus launched a flurry of attacks at Kargath, accompanied by the gray-bearded dwarf, who likewise seemed unaffected by Arthur's spell. Both the magus and the dwarf landed solid hits, but the real damage was done when the magus reached down with a glowing green hand and touched Kargath on the top of his bald head. The smell of burning flesh was powerful as Kargath gave an uncharacteristic squeal and crumpled like a bag of potatoes.

Kargath is dead! As are 2 more of the enemy.

Arthur takes 6 damage

Round 3 initiatives:

Everyone acts before the bad guys.

Torven (1d20+1)[21]
Elaine (1d20+2)[20]
Lisane (1d20+4)[19]
Arthur (1d20-1)[18]
Arwen (1d20+6)[13]
Bad guys [12]
Kargath (1d20+1)[4]

Here is the updated map! (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/forestEncounter2c.png)

Bhaakon
2012-05-02, 08:09 AM
Kols take me if I let them fight while I'm hiding in the trees, Torven swears silently as he crashes back through the underbrush and into the clearing, arm c0cked and ready to launch a stone into the back of one of his captor's skulls.

Double move to AAKB 54801

stack
2012-05-02, 09:21 AM
Scowling as his spell has to effect (and as he coughs up blood), Arthur changes tactics, swinging his morningstar at the bandit. He holds his ground, keeping under the cover of Elaine's deadly reach.

He would have been dismayed at seeing Kargath fall, but he is too focused no notice yet (and the dwarf was easy to lose track of in the melee, being short and all).

holding position
modifiers might be off as DND sheets is down
attack [roll0] (2 BAB, 2 STR, 1 MW, 1 large spikes)
damage [roll1] (2 str + 1 (two-handed) + 1 heavy)

murderous command has never failed me before. :frown:

Firebeard
2012-05-02, 09:23 AM
You targeted a monk and a cleric. Oops.

Stormwind
2012-05-02, 10:32 AM
Elaine calls out to Arthur, "I'm going to deal with the magus and the dwarf. Withdraw towards me when you can if you need me to cover you."
Elaine then moves to the side and the blade of her glaive strikes out over Kargath's crumpled form towards the magus, trimming the vegatation above her, the powerful blow looking to pass through the magus and continue into the gray bearded dwarf.

Move to (AAKJ,54804) -> (AAKI,54805)
Attack vs Magus(AAKH,54803): [roll0], damage: [roll1] (if this hits then cleave)
Cleave to Dwarf(AAKG,54803): [roll2], damage: [roll3]

Airanath
2012-05-03, 05:56 AM
An icy chill runs down Arwens spine when he smells the seared flesh stench and sees Kargath falling to the ground. Let there still be time to save him, his head aching as he looks for Arthur.
He finds his friend still engaged in the fight and hears the newcomer's shout. "Go, I will shot him down, get to Kargath." its all the warning he gives before shooting the foe engaged with the oracle, his voice cold, holding back his rage.
Rapid shot, firing twice at the one Arthur was engaged with.
Attack 1:[roll0][roll1]
Attack 2:[roll2][roll3]

Fuzzies
2012-05-03, 07:36 AM
Lisane was staring right at Kargath when it happened. It was so abrupt, so...Lisane felt her chest tighten in shock and grief. Then, she was running towards the dwarf and his opponents. There was no thought in her head for practiced maneuvers or subtle swordplay. With repeated shouts of "Kargath!" she flailed Alrathien like she was scything wheat.

Charge to AAKF/54803, PA

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Firebeard
2012-05-03, 09:15 AM
Lisane's furious charge barely sneaks through the dwarf's defense, but Alrathien's magical blade was enough to slice easily through armor, skin, and muscle alike. The dwarf fell to the ground, dying, as a pair of arrows whistled into the female magus next to him. She dropped her sword in surprise, staring at Arwen with questioning eyes as she too fell to the ground.

Arthuur's blow with the wickedly spiked morning star surprised the monk, who wasn't able to back out in time. The wounds given him by Elaine's glaive slowed his reactions, and Arthur's blow was enough to finish him for good.

The clearing rang with silence for a moment, in the same way the air still feels charged after a church bell has rung its song. Then, in a flurry of activity, Lisane, Arwen, and Arthur descend on Kargath, cradling the dwarf's body in their arms and wildly trying to resuscitate him. All to no avail. The wounds dealt by the weapons were bad enough, but the damage done to his skull and brain were on another level entirely. Nothing would bring this warrior back, except for perhaps divine intervention.

Congratulations! You easily handled a group of 6 lvl 1 NPCs - a magus, 3 fighters, a cleric, and a rogue - most of whom never even got a chance to attack. 480XP to everyone.

Edit: Everyone should be at 4197 XP as of this combat.

Note: Though I was intending to DM-kill Kargath anyways, both the magus and the cleric got confirmed crits on him that last round. Glad it wasn't one of you :smalleek:

Loot list, for anyone interested:

219g in mixed coins
chainmail
2 studded leather
2 scale mail
5 daggers
3 short swords
2 longswords
2 heavy maces
2 light crossbows
20 bolts
2 cure light wounds potions

stack
2012-05-03, 10:09 AM
Arthur tries in vain to find any sign of life in the dwarf. Failing, he sits back in shock. "We're to late. There's nothing I can do. To late."

We all knew this was dangerous. We have killed people. It was only a matter of time before this happened...but it was never real. It was all a game when only strangers and monster die.

Is this why Uncle Barth always looks so sad at the end of his stories?

He remains, unmoving, mind turned inward.

Fuzzies
2012-05-03, 10:20 AM
Lisane watched as Arthur tried to resucitate the dwarf, and felt the anguish building in her. "Of all of us, I never imagined Kargath falling. He was so self-assured, and those scars..." she trailed off for a moment, thinking about their adventures together and how well she had gotten to know the dwarf. "I just never thought it's be him."

As Torven came out of the woods, Lisane jerked Alrathien up into a guard position, only to lower it again. In a tight voice, she said "Well, at least his sacrifice wasn't for nothing. Come here, man, and let Arthur take a look at you. He can heal most hurts..."

Stormwind
2012-05-03, 10:42 AM
As the last of the treasure hunters falls to Arthur's mace, Elaine steps out of the way to allow the fallen dwarf's companions space.
Looking up at the living dwarf, Torven, Elaine moves towards him and in a soft voice she speaks, "Welcome brother. Though these circumstances be shadowed by grief, I am glad to see you standing free"
Coming from the tall redheaded human, the word brother seems strange enough, yet no deceit nor ill motive mars her voice.

Thoughts swirl through Elaine's mind as she speaks, They helped accomplish what I could not do alone, ... and in doing so, they lost one of their own. I am obligated to them for their assistance. Such an obligation must be repaid, .. and I will see it done, whatever they are bound to do.

stack
2012-05-03, 11:07 AM
Arthur blinks as Lisane mentions healing the newcomer. "Right. I can do that." He touches the dwarf, wounds gradually closing.

"Well, the spell works. I...thought i would be happier to try it..." He shrugs.

celestial healing, fast healing 1 for 1 minute (so 10 HP)

for the newbies, we researched a [good] version of infernal healing with all our downtime on the ship getting here

Airanath
2012-05-03, 06:49 PM
Arwen approaches just as Arthur finishes his conjuration, imediatly recognizing the spell as he and his friend are the only ones sharing the formula right now, and it wasn't yet subject to personal quircks of many casters, seeing it work, he lets a faint smile out, but as his eyes fall on the dead form of their friend, it fades again.
"It works every bit as we hoped it would. Guess we are making our way into the records one way or another Arthur, this is the kind of spell that people usually name after themselves for its commonplace use." the elf says, trying to distract himself from the pain and ease it on his friend too, he can only wonder how it must feel to him, as he has a lot more expertise in medicine.

He walks to the dwarf body, and searches for his ale, passing it around. "He would call us "sissy crybabies" for shedding tears upon his body, maybe not in such a gentle maner, so instead lets drink in his memory and let him rejoin his ancestors with honor."
After the moment is past, he speaks to the others "We can't carry his body, and I don't like the idea of leaving it as is, he might come to haunt us, guess we bury him after Arthur's blessings? Maybe take a token back to the lodge so they can send it to his family?"
A dwarf without ale in his person is like a dwarf without a beard! Can't see it happening!

stack
2012-05-03, 07:45 PM
Arthur closes Kargath's eye's and gives what blessing he can. I don't know much about the dwarves beliefs, or how he followed them. Still, I have to try.

Once a grave has been dug (or cairn piled, depending on tools and materials. He straightens to say a few words. "Torag, master of the forge and father of dwarves, receive our good friend and loyal companion. He fell honorably in battle, defending his comrades on a mission to uncover knowledge and benefit civilization. May he dwell ever in the halls of his people, with good drink and great deeds his everlasting companions."

He looks around furtively to see if anyone is upset by any mistakes.know religion [roll0] to perform dwarven rites properly

Bhaakon
2012-05-04, 01:48 AM
"Aye, a touch of healing would be welcome," Torven admits as Arthur casts the celestial healing spell. He stretches out his limbs, numbed by days spent bound to a tree. While the others see to the fallen Korgath, Torven quietly reclaimed his magical pack, axe, and armor from the dead. At least they didn't break anything, he thinks as he goes about mixing and imbibing a healing draught of his own.

Cure light wounds: [roll0]

That completed, he rejoins the others just in time to hear the words spoken over the cairn. "Spoken like a proper High Smith of Torag," he responds to Arthur's furtive glance, though, truthfully, Torven hadn't been to a service since since the young human's parents were in their nappies.

Stormwind
2012-05-04, 01:55 AM
Gesturing towards Torven for him to join the gathering, Elaine begins the task of building a cairn for the fallen dwarf. Though it be dark, with the light of her stone floating around her head, she picks the largest stones that she can carry in order to make the cairn as solid as it can be managed.

Once the cairn is built, and Kargath's body and equipment placed within, she listens quietly as Arthur speaks, and then after a brief pause, proceeds to place the last stones, closing the cairn, murmuring softly, "You fought with honor and for a cause most just. May Iomadae's blessing ensure your rest"

Fuzzies
2012-05-04, 03:39 PM
Lisane did shed a tear over the dwarf as they buried him, though Arwen was right and the dwarf would not want them to. Still, it was with firm resolve that she helped Elaine pile the stones over Kargath's corpse. "I...shouldn't have been so hard on you and that dwarf," she said to Elaine. "I know that you didn't cause his death, and would have prevented it if you could. I am Lisane, a Silent Sister from the Fangwood, and a newly made Pathfinder. Well met." She extended a hand to clasp wrists with Elaine. "Over there are Arthur and Arwen."

Stormwind
2012-05-05, 08:38 AM
Elaine extends her arm and returns Lisane's clasp, "Well met Lisane, I am Elaine Văduva, once of Magnimar. Now, I too wander the world, as a pathfinder."
"I sorrow for the loss of your friend, I know from experience that words cannot help or alleviate that, but he fought with honor and for the cause of freeing a fellow pathfinder from unjust captivity. Though I knew him not, I'm sure he was a worthy and steadfast companion. That much at least I can deduce from the esteem in which you and your companions held him."

stack
2012-05-05, 12:18 PM
After introductions have been made all around, Arthur reluctantly turns to the matter at hand. "I suppose we ought to continue on with our mission. Kagath wouldn't have wanted us to stand around and mourn when there was a job to be done." He gives a weak smile. "I can imagine what he would say, though I couldn't repeat it in public." His face falls again.

how many hours of light left? If it is not already evening we should head for the ziggurat.

Stormwind
2012-05-06, 09:23 AM
Elaine responds to Arthur's eagerness, "Perhaps we might discuss matters in the morning? I for one am in need of a good nights sleep."

She then proceeds to drag the bodies into the woods, in the opposite direction from where they built Kargath's cairn, before spreading out her bedroll and preparing for the night. Before she lies down, she looks at the others and asks, "Given that these are not friendly lands, perhaps we should set watch .. or do you already have some set schedule?"

Airanath
2012-05-06, 11:28 AM
"We don't really, last time we camped out Roshan had Astera keep watch, I think Lisane also helped with it some." Arwen replies, "After that we luckly didn't get stuck into places due to a storm during the night... Altought a storm delaying us that time we had to go to the sewers might have been nice."

Common sense? What is that!

stack
2012-05-06, 01:16 PM
Arthur chimes in as he readies his bedroll. "I'll take last watch. I'll need the time to meditate anyhow, gather my strength. Not everyone appreciates the strain magic puts on a person."

Bhaakon
2012-05-06, 06:55 PM
"I'll go first," Torven volunteers, "I have to check my inventory of reagents anyway. Can't believe I was captured by those idiots, one of them actually stuck their finger in a vial of aqua regia!"

He'll use his time preparing another extract of cure light wounds, and re-mixing his mutagen, if necessary

[roll0]

Airanath
2012-05-06, 08:23 PM
"Reagents? Aqua Regia? You are an alchemist Torven!?" Arwen is impressed.
"Guess this might suit you better than me, we found some Dream Spider Silk, I was thinking of attempting to turn it into some kind of poison somehow..." he shows the dwarf the cloth containing the silk.

Stormwind
2012-05-07, 05:09 AM
Elaine looks over at Torven and says, "Wake me up after a couple of hours then"

And with that and a brief "Night all", she falls asleep in the midst of Torven and Arwen's discussion on alchemy.

stack
2012-05-07, 07:19 AM
Arthur is tempted to get up and discuss magic and alchemy all night, but it has been such a long, tiring day.

He's asleep before giving it a second thought.

Fuzzies
2012-05-07, 07:38 AM
"Looks like I get the pre-dawn shift," said Lisane, as she rolled out her bedroll and prepared for sleep. "Wake me gentle, Elise. I'd hate for somethingn untowards to happen if you startle me." With that she rolled over and was asleep in minutes.

Bhaakon
2012-05-07, 07:48 AM
"Dream spider silk, you say? I've never handled the stuff myself, but I've heard of it. The real key is to have the proper solvent and a quality retort to purify the product. Oh, and time. Sometimes take weeks to get it just right," says the dwarf, as he dives into his bag. "It just so happens that I've come prepared. You never know when you'll come across a potent natural venom. Now just put the sample in here, yes, and a bit of this, mm-hmm...

With a new little project, Torven drifts off into his own world.

Doubt I can craft it in a partial night's work, but can I use craft (alchemy) to get an estimate of how long it would take to make a poison out of it?

[roll0]

Firebeard
2012-05-07, 08:46 AM
@Torven

Given a relatively quiet environment, and some decent alchemy checks, you could make 1 dose of poison per 2 hours of work. With really good checks, you could double that. You have enough silk there for about 10 doses of poison, assuming no mishaps.

Craft DC for rendering the Dream Spider poison is 11.

The night passes without incident, though those on guard duty can hear larger animals moving about in the woods, and the occasional snarl of predators fighting over the carcasses you dragged out of the camp. The morning dawns cool and clear, with early sunlight peeking through gaps in the forest canopy.

Stormwind
2012-05-07, 11:25 AM
Elaine wakes to the morning light, well rested, and prepared for what the day might bring. Being somewhat low on supplies, she simply drinks some water and begins her morning exercises. She starts off with some simple stretches and once she has limbered up, she sweeps her glaive from where it lies against a tree, and then proceeds to flow into a sequence of movements that is reminiscent more of a dance than fighting. After her exercise comes to a stop, she breathes deeply and takes another drink.

Carefully laying down her glaive beside her, Elaine sits down and packs her bedroll and reattaches it to her backpack. That done she pulls out a small leather bound volume and some ink from a side pocket on the backpack, and proceeds to write in a simple, clean hand, a concise summary of the events of the last few days. As she puts the ink away and blows gently on the page upon which she just wrote, she looks around what remains of campfire at her companions of the previous night.

stack
2012-05-07, 12:08 PM
Arthur too writes in his journal.

Friends found and Lost

Once the morning routine is finished, he stands, hefting his weapon over his shoulder. "It is time. Let's continue our mission. I don't suppose either of you know a direct path to the ziggurat?"

Goodbye again Kargath. We won't fail. He gives a long look at the cairn before departing.

Firebeard
2012-05-07, 12:27 PM
@Torven

The ziggurat is about an hour up the trail, take the left fork.

Bhaakon
2012-05-07, 06:54 PM
"Aye, about an hour on foot. Just bear left at the fork," yawns the dwarf. He rose later than the others, couldn't shake a touch of drowsiness even as he went about the daily ritual of mixing and bottling his extracts. Can't wait to sleep in a proper bed, he thinks as he twists around to stretch his stiff back.

Stormwind
2012-05-09, 04:35 AM
Once everyone is packed and ready, Elaine heads off up the path walking alongside Arthur, whom she asks, "Yesterday you asked me if Stiles had fully briefed me on the mission. I wanted to speak to you about that. His message to me had been rather brief and detailed the troubles that Torven was in and that matters here were rather important. Other than that I'm afraid I'm still a little in the dark as to exactly what is going on - any chance that you could shed some light on matters?"

stack
2012-05-09, 07:02 AM
Arthur is glad to dive into historical minutiae. "A knowledge vault, or rather one of our brother Pathfinders found an inscription on the stone wall of a tomb in old Bakrakhan. Possibly instructions as to how to open a knowledge vault, a Repositories, prepared by the Runelord Alaznist. It would be a legendary find, if it is true. We're trying to get to it before some relic hunters bash the door in and make a mess of things. We're guessing that the ziggurat shown on our map is the most likely location. We have plenty of time before Captain Sorgi comes back to pick us up."

Stormwind
2012-05-10, 01:25 AM
Elaine stops mid-step. "A repository". Her voice is full of surprise and wonder. "A real repository ... that's ..." her voice trails off, speechless.

Once she recovers a modicum of decorum, she asks "Runelord Alaznist? Do we know anything about him?"

stack
2012-05-10, 07:20 AM
Arthur looks a bit crestfallen. "Not much. We had little time for proper research, only one night at the library, but I uncovered a bit. You may have heard some of the stories of the runelords, but I'll cover it all." Storytime!

Between your father's knowledge and the books and parchments you were able to find, you learned quite a bit about the Runelords in general, and Alaznist, the Warlord of Wrath,in particular.

The kingdom of Thassilon was founded more than 11,000 years ago by First King Xin who had been exiled from his homeland of Azlant for promoting heretical beliefs. As the empire grew beyond the bounds of Xin's ability to control, both militarily and administratively, he appointed powerful arcanists as governors to oversee his lands. The mightiest of these were the Runelords, seven of the most skilled (and power-hungry) wizards in Thassilon, if not all of Golarion. Working secretly to secure power for themselves, the opportunity to fully escape servitude under First King Xin appeared when he, in his old age and after having ruled Thassilon for more than a century, destroyed himself and much of his palace in a mysterious magical event. The Runelords siezed the opportunity and subjugated those loyal to Xin - including his own son, who became a puppet emperor - while each plotted within his or her own lands to become ruler of all Thassilon.

The Virtues of Rule (wealth, fertility, honest pride, abundance, eager striving, righteous anger, and well-deserved rest), passed down from the goddess Lissala and First King Xin himself were seen as the benefits of power, and each of the runelords was drawn towards one of the seven. Over the course of time, the runelords corrupted these into what modern scholars understand to be the "great sins of the soul," abandoning the positive aspects of each and embracing the negative connotations of each (greed, lust, boastful pride, gluttony, envy, wrath, and sloth) as the rewards of rule. Each of the seven rulers specialized in a single school of rune magic and possessed a mighty weapon which not only served them in battle, but also became a symbol of their rule.

Alaznist was the last Thassilonian Runelord of Wrath who ruled for many years over her realm of Bakrakhan. She is believed to have retreated from view along with the other runelords during Earthfall, and it is unknown whether she survived that cataclysm. She ruled from her capital of Xin-Bakrakhan, the City of Wrath, which is believed to have been located on what is now the island of Hollow Mountain in the Varisian Gulf. As she has been gone for almost 10,000 years, no one can be sure of exactly what she looked like, although statues that have been found depict her as a beautiful, yet enraged human woman with long hair, flowing robes, and wielding a thorny ranseur. She is said to have been impatient and impulsive, caring little for magical research, and preferred modifying her many troops by magical means.

Alaznist is said to have been a worshiper of many kinds of demons, who shared her enthusiasm for violence and destruction. Most important to her, however, was the pure veneration of anger and wrath. In order to encourage these traits in her subjects, she built many runewells which could absorb the souls of wrathful mortals in order to further her power and create sinspawn. The Runelord of Wrath seems to have directed most of her anger toward her fellow runelord, Karzoug. The two were in a state of perpetual warfare, constantly battling at the border their two realms shared. She constructed the Hellstorm Flumes along this border in order to scorch harassing armies from miles away. She is also known to have used runeslave giants as living siege weapons, and is said to have created reefclaws in order to protect her rivers and other bodies of water.

"So it will probably be protected by magically empowered rage beasts."

Fuzzies
2012-05-10, 07:31 AM
Lisane led the group by 60 feet, as was her pattern. she kept scanning back and forth through the woods and along the path, intent on seeing anything of malicious intent before it could come upon them.

Occasionally, she'd return to the main group to let them know what she was seeing, and contribute to the conversation at hand.

Firebeard
2012-05-10, 10:02 AM
After about an hour, the trail ahead opens into a large clearing, in the center of which stands the ziggurat. The weathered stone looks crumbled, and not a few blocks of stone have fallen out of the structure to lay in shattered heaps upon the ground. Vines and other vegetation have insinuated themselves into the stone's ecology, though, strangely, the steps leading to the top of the tower are clear.

Around the base of the ziggurat are a number of herd beasts - like antelope, but with extraordinarily curled horns - grazing contentedly on the grass. They look up as soon as the noise of your passage reaches them, and look as if they are prepared to bolt from sight at any moment.

stack
2012-05-10, 10:07 AM
Arthur studies the ziggurat, seeking any hint of knowledge that might aid them. His eyes grow distant, then cloud over, becoming orbs of white. He stands still for a moment, lost inside his own mind.

He sees books swirling around him, shelves stretching off in all dimensions (plus a few extras) into infinity. Books swirls around him, offering tantalizing glimpses of their contents. Stories forgotten from childhood, scrolls lost to the ages, books unwritten, strange thin slab, glowing as words dance across them, a vortex of knowledge.

A shaggy orange figure approaches him, bearing a singular tome. Arthur stammers, "Where am I Mr Mo..." wait, no tail.

A childhood rhyme comes to him. If it doesn't have a tail its not a monkey,
Even if it has a monkey kind of shape,
Its very plain to see if its a monkey,
If it doesn't have a tail its not a monkey, its an ape

"Master Ape?" The figure just grunts and hands him the open book before shambling off, walking on its knuckles.

Then he is back in the present. "I think I know something. Also...I need to find some bananas."

knowledge history [roll0] using focused trance

I hope people get the reference. It just made too much sense to have him get lost in L-space.

Firebeard
2012-05-10, 11:12 AM
@Arthur

I just got that song out of my head about 2 months ago, after listening to my daughter sing it for months. Thanks...

As for the ziggurat, there isn't much to know about it, other than its shape and weather-smoothed glyphs are reminiscent of an ancient Pharasma cult temple.

stack
2012-05-10, 02:47 PM
Arthur, now fully back in the present, shakes his head. "Pharasman design. Not much else to know. Shall we go inside, or stay and admire the fauna?"

Bhaakon
2012-05-10, 06:18 PM
"I've had enough of waiting outside, thank you," says the dwarf as he begins stalking across the clearing to the stairway.

Stormwind
2012-05-11, 05:30 AM
Elaine holds her glaive loosely in her left hand as she responds, "Well we won't find anything just waiting outside ..."

Fuzzies
2012-05-11, 08:05 AM
"Let's be off, then. But let me go first, and only step where I step. We're going to take this nice and slow." Lisane draws her bow and then moves swiftly to the base of the ziggurat. She watches the herd with tense anticipation, ready to draw and loose at the slightest provocation. As she reached the pyramid's base, she motioned the others to come on as she slowly moved up the steps, examining each for signs of a trap.

Perception [roll0] to check for traps as we go up the stairs
Perception [roll1]
Perception [roll2]
Perception [roll3]
Perception [roll4]
Perception [roll5]
Perception [roll6]
Perception [roll7]

Firebeard
2012-05-11, 10:38 AM
As soon as Lisane moved into the clearing, the herd animals bolted away. Their crashing passage through the woods could be heard for minutes as the ranger moved to the ziggurat. The stepped pyramid looked in even worse shape close by than it did from across the clearing.

As she made her way carefully up the steps, she saw no signs of traps, though in some places, the crumbling stone of the steps was as dangerous as any trap. At the top of the pyramid, there was a covered alcove with what appeared to be a stone door covered with sigils and engravings. Being under the alcove, these were in much better condition than those on the sides of the pyramid.

To the left of the door was a great stone circle with many symbols carved into the stone. A handprint is set into a disc in the center. At the top of the handprint is an arrow. Obviously, the handprint is used to rotate the arrow to one or more of the symbols. The symbols - going counterclockwise from the top - are: a stylized sun, a line with two circles over it, a serpent bent in right angles, a triangle with a line on top, a centaur stick figure, a circle sitting in a bowl, a squared off circle with a second circle inside it, a trident, a scarab beetle, a heart shape with a circle inside, a spiral, and a square with a triangle inscribed.

Airanath
2012-05-11, 11:25 AM
"Sounds like we need some kind of key or cypher now... Wonder if its painted somewhere around? Hopefully preserved on some object that would resist the weather...
Arwen probably won't remember the cube Styles took out of the serpent ring...

stack
2012-05-11, 01:06 PM
Arthur studies the markings, then a thought comes to him. "Let's compare these to the cube from the ring. Maybe it will give a clue."

Airanath
2012-05-11, 01:16 PM
"Of course! The cube! Styles did say it was important... can't remember the details, the man held it tight at that time... did you take notes on it? We should have, maybe it would helped our research at the library."

Bhaakon
2012-05-11, 05:23 PM
Toven smirks as he watches Lisane fastidiously check every step for traps. "Looks like someone's been here, and recently," he says pointedly, but adds no more.

Finally, as he sees the others struggling with the combination lock, he can take no more. The walks up to the hand print and sets to work, muttering, "snake, trident, bowl, triangle, underscored circles," as he works the combination through its positions.

"I thought I sent this code back to the lodge before I was caught."

Airanath
2012-05-11, 08:57 PM
"Either someone forgot to mention it... or this particular message was intercepted..."

Bhaakon
2012-05-12, 04:57 AM
"Well, I was forced to trust a rather shifty looking freebooter with getting my notes back to the lodge. I drew the map on a crumpled up scrap so the thieving scoundrel wouldn't think it worth stealing," Torven frets. "Could be Stiles just took it as trash, and the messenger as a common huckster."

Firebeard
2012-05-12, 06:55 AM
As Torven dialed in the last of the symbols, a clunking noise came from inside the pyramid, and the great stone door began to grate open. The door opened about a foot, but was fairly easy to push open from that point. Beyond the door was a landing, ending in a stone staircase going downwards.

Stormwind
2012-05-12, 07:59 AM
Elaine murmurs to herself as Torven enters the code, "Ten, five, seven, nine, eleven ... ", but once the stone door opens, she looks towards Lisane and Torven. "Since you both see better in the dark, if you wish to take the lead, I'll guard the rear." and then she retrieves her stone from her pouch, releasing it to float around her head as she takes a two-handed grip on her glaive.

Bhaakon
2012-05-12, 04:22 PM
"Aye," Torven grunt in agreement, and takes the lead and starts searching for pressure plates, trip wires, loose stones on the stairway, and other traps or hazards.

Perception rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Add additional +2 if trap/hazard is part of "unusual stonework" (hooray for vague dwarf racial bonuses)

stack
2012-05-14, 07:21 AM
Arthur takes position in the middle, allowing Lisane and the new dwarf to lead and watch for traps (he just has no head for that) and Elaine to competently guard the rear, aided by Arwen's bow and superior vision. Well, at least I'm close enough to heal people here. No good with a bow, weak human eyes, don't know anything about traps...in a practical sense anyhow.

Fuzzies
2012-05-14, 07:29 AM
Lisane walks side by side with Torven, checking the steps for traps and prepared for any enemies that might present themselves. "Watch that step" she whispered back, as she found a stone that looked to be a different hue than the rest.

Perception for trapfinding
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Firebeard
2012-05-15, 07:49 AM
The stairs wind downwards in a tight clockwise spiral. Every so often, either Torven or Lisane would point out a step to the others and whisper that they should be careful. Whether the step was trapped, or simply loose, it was best to just be careful.

At the bottom of the stairs, there was a landing, faced with a rusted portcullis. The winch for the portcullis is attached to the left hand wall about 6 feet in. The hallway beyond the portcullis is worked stone, and completely dark.

stack
2012-05-15, 07:58 AM
Arthur sends his now-standard glowing pebble through the portcullis, illuminating the hall beyond as far as his spell can reach. "I suppose you ought check this for traps as well. Doesn't appear to be another way, unless there is a hidden door about...is there?" Hidden doors are classic. But so are trapdoors that lead to monsters or ancient, inexplicably functional traps...just stories, right?

Fuzzies
2012-05-15, 03:18 PM
Lisane checks the area around the portcullis for traps, all the while keeping an eye on the hallway where Arthur's light is glowing. "I don't see another way, but could you call that light back here? I don't want to advertise our presence too much until we figure out how to get this portcullis open."

perception [roll0]

Bhaakon
2012-05-15, 06:31 PM
"Allow me. I've got a feel for old masonry and darkness," says Torven as he begins an examination of his own. These upstarts are good with a blade, but this work requires more than a strong arm and enthusiasm, he wisely keeps to himself.

perception to find traps: [roll0]

add another +2 if it's related to stonework.

Stormwind
2012-05-16, 04:38 AM
Elaine stands slightly back and examines the area around the porticullis and the winch on the left wall with a trained eye as she checks for anything out of the ordinary.

Knowledge(dungeoneering): [roll0]
Knowledge(engineering): [roll1]

Firebeard
2012-05-16, 02:04 PM
None of you find any traps or anything else out of place. The portcullis is rusted and old, but it looks as if a few good heaves could lift it high if you can't get to the winch by any other means.

stack
2012-05-16, 02:17 PM
Arthur shrugs, then grabs the bars. "Let's just give it a shove. We can use the winch to open it again once we are on the other side."

strength check [roll0] to aid another (whoever is strongest, taking 10 or 20 presumably)

Bhaakon
2012-05-16, 05:13 PM
Torven lends Arthur a shoulder, setting it against the rusty iron grid and heaving up.

here's a roll, in case I can't take a 10: [roll0]

Airanath
2012-05-16, 05:20 PM
See Kargath is already sorely missed =(

Aid another(assuming the new chars beat my 15 str, otherwise take 20): [roll0]
Arwen brushes away a silent tear, remembering Kargath's tale of how he kicked a locked door so hard it knocled out an orc on the other side of the next room. "On three?" he asks then takes a breath to prepare for the pain of shoulder charging the door.

Fuzzies
2012-05-17, 10:13 AM
Upon finding no traps, Lisane sheathed Alrathien and squatted to get a good purchase on the bars, making sure to move aside enough for Elaine to get in there as well. "One...two...three!" On three, she straightened her legs, using the strong core muscles to lift the portcullis enough for someone to slide under and get to the winch.

Strength check [roll0]

Stormwind
2012-05-17, 01:00 PM
Elaine leans her glaive carefully against the wall and then steps in to help lift the porticulus.
Strength check: [roll0]

Firebeard
2012-05-17, 09:51 PM
As Elaine throws her strength into the portcullis, and everyone else lends a hand, the gate rises with a faint squeal of rusted metal on metal. After a few feet, the gate mechanism takes over, and the gate rises easily to its stops. But as it rises, a new sound is added to to the din - the tinkling of a dozen bells tied high on the portcullis grate. The ringing of the bells echoes off the stone hallways, followed by the sound of footsteps on stone.

From the darkness ahead ran five creatures, looking like bright red lizardmen with crab claws in place of their left hands. In their right, they held a variety of ugly looking swords. Murder was in their eyes, and they hissed evilly as they charged!

Round 1 initiatives...

Arwen [25]
Lisane [18]
monsters [12]
Elaine [11]
Torven [10]
Arthur [7]

Here is the map (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/temple1a.png)

Fuzzies
2012-05-18, 07:27 AM
Lisane quickly rolled inside the portcullis and whipped her bow from its resting spot. A pair of arrows streaked out at the leading figure before she dropped her bow and drew Alrathien.

5' into the hallway, rapidshot at ACH/-1372

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Edit: blargh!

Airanath
2012-05-20, 05:42 PM
Arwen quickly moves to get a better view of whatever is coming, drawing his bow while he does so. His eyes quickly find the Lizard-like creatures somewhat still covered by darkness as they move towards the groups light. In the blink of an eye, he fires an arrow from his bow, now covered in a halo of magic.
Move Action: Move to ACU -1733, Drawing bow during this move.
Free action: Infuse bow with magic from the arcane pool.
Standard: Attack: [roll0] Damage:[roll1]

Firebeard
2012-05-21, 07:55 AM
Lisane's arrows go wide, but Arwen's pierces the throat of the nearest attacker. The khaasta fell to the floor, sliding a few feet with its momentum and leaving a bloody trail on the floor. Its death did not deter its companions though, and they continued to charge in.

One swept past Lisane's defenses to hammer a blow out at Elaine, but the sword merely glanced off the woman's armor. Lisane worked furiously to fend off two opponents, her sword training letting her swing the great curved sword in a blinding flurry. She picked off the incoming blows with ease, frustrating the khaasta, who hissed in fury.

No AoO from Elaine, as she was flatfooted.

Everyone's up.

Here is the updated map. (http://bradgrinstead.com/Pathfinders/temple1b.png)

stack
2012-05-21, 08:17 AM
Arthur thinks for a moment. "They are not of this plane, outsiders. Though they seem to be vulnerable to weapons, so no difficulty there. Called Khaasta I believe. The big claw is usually used as a shield, so don't expect attacks from that side. Well, you can attack with a shield, but you get what I mean."

He decides to be quiet and actually contribute, stepping into the gap and trying to crack carapace with his morningstar.

5' step to ACQ 1732, attacking ACP 1733
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

wow, small map, only 3 letters!:smallbiggrin:

Stormwind
2012-05-21, 12:53 PM
(If AoO was applicable - see OOC - then I presume it misses. Will edit if it turns out otherwise :smallamused: )

Missing the creatures with her glaive as they move in due to the confined space, Elaine, unable to use her preferred weapon, instead lashes out with a gauntleted fist at the creature directly in front of her.

Attack (spiked gauntlet) vs (ACP,1733): [roll0], damage: [roll1]

Bhaakon
2012-05-21, 05:14 PM
Torven sputter in rage, eager to vent some of his frustration after his long imprisonment, but suddenly finding his path blocked. "How's a dwarf suppose to hack apart a blasted lizard-crab-man with all of you clogging up the passage?" He growls in a harsh whisper, waiting for an opening.

move action to draw battleaxe

Fuzzies
2012-05-22, 10:26 AM
"You either find a hole," Lisane grunted, fending off a shortsword, "or you make one." She then proceeded to try and do just that, sliding Alrathien out against the khaasta nearest Elaine, to free the woman up to use her longer weapon.

Attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Firebeard
2012-05-23, 07:29 AM
Between them, Arthur and Elaine drop the khaasta immediately before them. Lisane, true to her word, opens a hole for Torven by slicing clean through the enemy infront of her. Blood and gore splattered the stone walls of the hallway, and the way was open for Torven to charge through.

Holding off until my lunch break for Torven and Arwen to post, then going ahead

Bhaakon
2012-05-23, 07:56 AM
"It's not really a hole if you just kill all of them in reach," complains Torven as he shoulders his way forward. "Maybe the rest will obligingly throw themselves at me."

move to ACP 1732, wield battleaxe 2-handed and ready an action to attack the first enemy that comes in range.

atk: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

Airanath
2012-05-23, 03:45 PM
Arwen makes use of the opening from the fallen foe and Lisane and Elaine opening space for Torven to fire the next volley on the enemies in the back.
"Better rush Torven, at least make us some stout lagger for when we finish the fight"
Rapid Shotting
A1: [roll]1d20+6(1d20+6)[20][roll0]
A2: [roll]1d20+6(1d20+6)[9][roll1]
And that, is how you do not use the forum dice roller.
Attack rolls from the IC due to messing the coding.

Firebeard
2012-05-24, 05:20 PM
Arthur and Torven's strikes both hit home, opening large wounds in their opponents, who simply snarled back in frustration or anger. The nearest one tried to hit Lisane with a wickedly serrated sword, but the blow was easily turned by the ranger.

The other held a scroll of some kind aloft and snarled some works in a sibilant language. A glittering golden ball hurled out towards you and exploded in your midst. Your eyes sting as you try and avert your eyes from the spell's effects.

I need everyone to make me a will save

Arwen [roll0]
Arthur [roll1]
Lisane [roll2]
Elaine [roll3]
Torven [roll4]

Edit: Arthur and Arwen are both blinded for 3 rounds

Airanath
2012-05-24, 06:43 PM
"This thing, its in my eyes!" Arwen complains as he drops his bow and fumbles for his sword, might be hard to fight blinded, but shotting will be far worse.
Spellcraft to identify whatever the scroll did: [roll0]

stack
2012-05-24, 07:30 PM
Oh, that's not good. It was right here, wasn't it? I hope nobody moved...What was that?"Look out!" Arthur swings again at the place his foe was, hoping to land a hit before stepping back.attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
miss [roll2] high hits
5'step back away form the fight